[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: iray-logo.png (10KB, 277x134px) Image search: [Google]
iray-logo.png
10KB, 277x134px
>>
Fucking bug ; What does /3 think of Nvidia Iray renderer ?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbovJbKALzA
>>
>>499573
This

Its still young which makes it still useless too
>>
File: Sam Hyde.png (84KB, 267x165px) Image search: [Google]
Sam Hyde.png
84KB, 267x165px
>>499573

>Sam Hyde, leading Linux developer and real life shitposter
>>
>>499592
>It's still young
>translation: Because I haven't heard much about it or used it, it's young and bad

Bruh, it's been around since like, 2009 and has become one of the best ray-tracers around. It is much more feature rich than Arnold and even LuxRender. It can utilize all the GPUs and CPUs in your system, and on your networked computers. It even naturally does light dispersion (splitting into colors). And many 3D packages have begun adopting it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNd1PKCTe0
>>
>>499612
how is it more feature rich then Lux
>>
>>499570
I think its great to have many options.

If it gives me the ability to create pretty pictures even faster, i'll like it.
>>
>>499570
I still don't understand the model behind this product.

Is it going to be free for everyone to use?
Is it going to be a paid-for plugin?
Is it something that companies have to pay for themselves to get it in their packages?

Looks interesting, though. I am looking foward to a GPU-accelerated Arnold-like.
>>
>>501576
the model is look at this new shit, get hyped.
>>
>>501576
It's already integrated in 3DS Max and Substance Designer, you don't pay extra for it in either of them. It all comes down to the software company, whether they choose to license and integrate it themselves. The plugins Nvidia is providing will likely cost a bit of money, considering that the beta tests have a license expiry date. But that doesn't mean for sure it will cost money, and if it does, it will be decently priced at least.
>>
>>499612
> It can utilize all the GPUs and CPUs in your system, and on your networked computers.

Which renderer *can't* do that. That'd be pretty shit-tier. No problem to do this with e.g. cycles.

> It even naturally does light dispersion

Many other renderers can do that as well. Cycles is the only one I can think of that can't do that, but e.g. luxrender, vray, octane, mitsuba, ... can.

Not that I think anybody gives a shit, really. If light dispersion is somehow essential to telling your story, you can just map it to the wall in five minutes with a colored light(-map). Not only does that work anywhere, it's also gonna be easier to control and way faster to render.
>>
>>501636
>Which renderer *can't* do that
No other production renderers currently will do distributed GPU rendering across GPUs on a network, they'll do CPUs, yeah, that's nothing special.

>Many other renderers can do that as well
Only a few do it, basically the ones you listed, and maybe Maxwell. LuxRender's implementation is complicated and doesn't work with all of the other features. Iray's is a single option you turn on and it just works with all your materials/lights.

We're talking about photorealism here breh, any ray-tracer is good enough if you're just trying to tell a story.
>>
>>501652
Any renderer that can render on GPU and CPU can be used to render distributed across a network on GPUs and CPUs. Worst-case situation is that you have to do a few minutes of automation work to move over the scene data, set up a seed and kick off the jobs. Ain't no thing to set up e.g. cycles to render across a bunch of different machines, using the GPU on some, using the CPU on some, using both on some, whatever you feel like.

It doesn't matter how many samples each device in your network gets done, in the end you can always weight them all into one image, and that image will be as if you rendered on a single machine with samples = the sum of all the samples all your machines in the network rendered.

Is it going to be as nice as using tractor? No, but it gets the job done for sure, and it works with any renderer (basically all renderers can be started/controlled by scripts)

> Only a few do it, basically the ones you listed, and maybe Maxwell.
> We're talking about photorealism here breh

So, what you're saying is... basically every renderer (sans cycles) there is that has a focus on photorealism can do it? I mean, how many more are there? Indigo can also do it, Arion can do it, mental ray can do it, keyshot can do it, and now that's starting to get pretty obscure...

Yeah, renderman can't do it, but that one doesn't focus on realism.
>>
File: lawl.jpg (3MB, 5120x3890px) Image search: [Google]
lawl.jpg
3MB, 5120x3890px
>>499571

Pretty good. Scales well accross my servers with low cost "gaming" grade gpu´s.

Still lacks a working proxy system but it can handle 6k renders pretty well if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>501788
6k as in resolution? Is that a special thing? I've done 20k by 20k renders with cycles before.
>>
>>501788
how much do you ask for renders like this? they're noisy as fuck. my clients would never be satisfied with that
>>
>>501888

Your client loves you very much, but wishes you would get a job, find a nice girl, and move out of the basement.

Source: I fucked your client last night.
>>
>>501893

no but seriously tho, why are your renders so noisy
>>
>>501895
>>501888
It only looks noisy at full scale. This is clearly his "before reduction" render. Once scale down, it looks perfectly fine. Rendering at a higher resolution is always better than just turning up your AA, in terms of image quality.
>>
>>501897
In fact, once scaled down, the noise adds color variation like you get with taking a photo that adds to the realism. So you don't need to do as much work with surface detailing.
>>
>>501888

Thats a test render
>>
>>501900
>>501897

Yep thats pretty much my workflow on iray.
>>
File: still shitty.png (1MB, 896x681px) Image search: [Google]
still shitty.png
1MB, 896x681px
>>501897
Oh yeah, looks so much better now. It looks like shit.
>>
File: 50d.png (57KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
50d.png
57KB, 600x600px
>>502079
It isn't noise.

It is, uh, STYLIZED BUMP MAPPING!

Yeah that's it.
>>
>>502079

>Not knowing how to downscale.
>>
File: scrub.jpg (1MB, 1421x1080px) Image search: [Google]
scrub.jpg
1MB, 1421x1080px
>>502079
Lmao, nice try troll, what is that, fucking Nearest Neighbor interpolation?

This was likely only a minute in Iray.
>>
>>502089
>only a minute in Iray
what does that even mean? fast? slow? average?

you angsty retard
>>
>>501819
>>501788
what? 6k? 20k?

what are these resolutions for you retards, do you even know what you're doing?
>>
>>502096
6k is imax size. guy talking about 20k is just a retard.
>>
>>501654
>Yeah, renderman can't do it, but that one doesn't focus on realism.

Nigga you wut?
>>
>>502089

Not that anon, but thank you /3/. Thank you for being a place where people slam your interpolation algorithm like normal people make fun of haircuts. Fuck I love you guys.
>>
>>502122
>Just clamp my shit up
>>
>>502133
There was no clamping involved there anon... The fireflies scene in the full scale render are only 1 pixel big, so when you scale down, they get blended with the other colors and simply become a more natural looking noise.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.