[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/stg/ - Shmups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 282
Thread images: 28

File: Rayforce_arcade_flyer.jpg (57KB, 325x454px) Image search: [Google]
Rayforce_arcade_flyer.jpg
57KB, 325x454px
The real revival. Discuss 2D scrolling shooters here.

Tell us your…
>favorite shmups
>recent acquisitions
>latest accomplishments

New to the genre of shmups? Check out this page:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/shooters/shmups-101-a-beginners-guide-to-2d-shooters

Shmup Collection containing over 9000 MAME romsets:
https://www.mediafire.com/?48812jiax8m1c#nz0227tzb9zor

Decide the greatest shmup developer of all time here:
http://strawpoll.me/4496713

For a realtime chatroom, head over to our #shmups channel:
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/?nick=Anon?&theme=cli#shmups

List of the hardest clears, ranked in order of difficulty:
http://www.wikihouse.com/stg/index.php?STG%A5%E9%A5%F3%A5%AF%B0%EC%CD%F7

Video resources that explain superplay recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/user/STGWeekly

Highscore tables for several shmups (can track your own):
http://www.restartsyndrome.com/boardlist.php
>>
>>2952754
Why are these threads so dead lately? Did everyone just fuck off to the /vg/ thread?
>>
>>2952797
These threads used to be shitposting in the purest form.

And if somebody ever mentioned danmaku you'd get anti-waifu-shitposters, danmaku-hating old farts and the likes enraged,
>>
>>2952797
shmups are dead enough that /vg/ can discuss retro shmups too, so these threads tend to only get shitposters like >>2954114 said
>>
>>2952754
Thunderforce 4 is the best shit ever.
>>
>>2952754
Been playing a lot of gigawing 2 lately, J am adhamed to admit thag I completely missed this one back when I got my dreamcast, I got so addicted to ikaruga thag it went completely under my radar.

Also, shoutout to xevious 2, first shmup I ever played, music blew my child mind.
>>
File: ps2.jpg (250KB, 800x1155px) Image search: [Google]
ps2.jpg
250KB, 800x1155px
Posting my favorite shmup ever. Rate my tastes, shmuplords.
>>
>>2954909
I like the Aleste games on PC Egine and Genesis better (I find them more playable) but you still have great taste.
>>
What year did shmups fall out of mainstream popularity or were they alway niche compared to platformers?

Today's widescreen displays seem like they'd be good for horizontal shmups; why are none being released?

Is it because the average normie "hardcore gamer" would consider it outdated and unplayable compared to Black Ops and Madden?
>>
>>2958606
I'd say they died around the late '90s when danmaku started getting more popular than traditional shmups.
>>
>>2958606
With the advent of 3D and fall of arcades
They still are if you know where to look for
Yes
>>
>>2958623
That and anime girls. That's what killed it.
>>
>>2958606
They started to get niche when Street Fighter II came out. Suddenly fighting games were the new shit.
>>
File: zg2ad.jpg (217KB, 1280x907px) Image search: [Google]
zg2ad.jpg
217KB, 1280x907px
Tried Zero Gunner 2 on Dreamcast the other night and was surprised how damn good it is. Being able to lock your aim in any direction is awesome, and it looks great using the VGA cable
>>
>>2958606
Other than Space invaders, Galaga, Asteroids and Defender they have always been niche to normies. They became more of a niche even among hardcore gamers during the mid 90's somewhere around 93 to 95.
>>
>>2958623
>>2958649
Yeah, things I don't like. That's what killed it.
>>
>>2959385
>Zero Gunner 2
fucking awesome game. second favorite shmup on dc beside ikaruga.
>>
What are some good Shmups on the Neo Geo? I never hear anything about them.
Been playing alot of Battle Garegga (which turns 20 this week), Metal Black, Darius Gaiden, Raystorm, and Radiant Silvergun. I still think despite its flaws, Battle Garegga is my favorite vertical shmup. RS is too puzzle like and it seems like a hassle to get real good same with Ikaruga both good games but overhyped.
>>2954268
Mein nigger that game is the shit! the best Genesis and my favorite Horizontal Shooter ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psSamm93uCE
>tfw listening to the music on your headphones on your HD model Genesis is best experience ever!
I miss TechnoSoft...Hyper Duel is a good game too btw.
>>
>>2960843
Try out Viewpoint
>>
>>2960843
Last Resort
Iron Clad Brikin'Ger
Pulstar
Blazing Star
>>
File: 9[1].jpg (173KB, 900x860px) Image search: [Google]
9[1].jpg
173KB, 900x860px
>>2952754
>Model kits for R-Gray 1 and Silver Hawk Legend are going for over 90$ on every webshop

Man, remember when STG related stuff used to be among the cheapest stuff you could buy?

I sure wish I did. =(
>>
>>2962801
Well when the ships look this sexy...
>>
How hard is Cho Ren Sha 68K /vr/?
Pls answer.
>>
>playing philosoma on epsxe starter pack emu
>during the "3d" phase instant framerate death

is there anyway to compensate or do i have to deal?
>>
>>2963086
The Windows version is harder due to the absence of the intended slowdown present on the x68k version.
>>
>>2960843
>it seems like a hassle to get real good
That's the case for most shooting games, especially Garegga..
>>
I'm interested in playing the Gradius games (Salamander included). Is there a recommended version for each game or are they more or less the same or a matter of preference?
>>
>>2963389
Always play the Japanese arcade version if possible (on mame or whatever). Other versions are often nerfed down
>>
File: tf4.jpg (37KB, 180x257px) Image search: [Google]
tf4.jpg
37KB, 180x257px
>>2954909
Good taste my friend.

Here is my favorite shump.
>>
>>2952754
Should the wiki be added to the list of links?

http://shmup.wikia.com
>>
How do you get that winged guy as a "ship" in Battle Garegga? My version of the game doesn't have that guy, only planes.
>>
>>2964879
Look up Garegga cheat codes.
>>
>>2964879
It's basically the Konami code
>>
File: 28033701.jpg (146KB, 850x1094px) Image search: [Google]
28033701.jpg
146KB, 850x1094px
How do the fuck do you even. G Darius is more playable or at least easier but it's still pretty fucking hard even with all the power ups
>>
Is there any secret in getting good at Battle Garegga? I feel trying to keep the rank low does next to nothing.
The bosses still have the same patterns.
>>
>>2965024
the bosses don't really get hard till black heart
>>
>>2965024
Weird, are you on mame? There's a cheat to display the rank right on screen.
Google pugsy mame cheat.
>>
>>2965027
I find the second boss already hard enough to just bomb my way through it.
The game is just stupidly difficulty...
>>
>>2965031
I haven tested this much, but the first boss still did pretty muh the same, although I collected almost nothing.
All keeping the rank low does for me is just that I can't kill anything anymore and the difficulty partly merely seems to get harder.
>>
>>2964968
Darius 1?

Play the Extra version instead.

It's re-balanced.
>>
>>2965037
It's too early, keep playing.
>>
>>2965047
>keep playing
No thanks. I like a challenge, but games like this just annoy me with their difficulty.
The game is too simple for me to invest so much time in it to be able to beat it one day.
>>
>>2965072
don't stress out about results, credit feed and try clearing it with less deaths the next time around.
>>
>>2965072
You rack disciprine.
>>
>>2965074
The thing with bullet hell games is just that there is always so much shit going on on the screen, that even if you practice the game for umpteens of hours, it still always easily can happen that you oversaw some random tiny bullet.

I rather prefer more memorization based shmups. At least they are beatable by normal human beings while still being challenging. Bullet hell games like this have too much chaos going on to really rely on memorization.
>>
>>2965085
Thing about battle greggor is that they famously fucked up the visibility on those bullets. They are too tiny and merge too easily on the background, look up the alternate rom or the Saturn version for more contrasting bullets.

Anyhow, greggor is not a normal bullet hell anyway. Play something else to get acquainted with the genre.
>>
>>2965085
>I rather prefer more memorization based shmups. At least they are beatable by normal human beings while still being challenging.
Let's see those psikyo 2 loop clears bro.
>>
>>2965119
You kidding? Psikyo shmups are mostly luckshit RNG hell.
>>
>>2965130
>Psikyo shmups are mostly luckshit RNG hell.
Ah yes now we have a /vr/ shmups thread I wondered where all the pleb inaccurate nonsensical claims were. Go on then make me laugh where is the luckshit rng hell in psikyo games? Aside from strikers 1945 loop suicide bullets spawning in either 1,2 or 3s. Why then can the top psikyo players casually pull 2-alls out the bag? as proven by bos at stunfest and recently Sanchazame with gunbird 2 at wasshoi in tokaigi.
>>
>>2965137
To get a good score you need to reset the cab over and over until you get the proper stage order. Pretty random bullshit tbqh familia.
>>
>>2965143
To get the optimal wr score maybe but a good score? fuck outta here son put those goal posts back where you found them and lets get back to talking about the actual game. Psikyo are hardcore memorizers and that's not disputed by anyone who plays.
>>
>>2965201
Randomized stage order defeats memorization because the difficulty changes depending on the order. Resetting to get the same stage order every time avoids this.
>>
>>2965228
Fuck me what a dumb cunt, only the first 4 stages are randomized so you essentially only have to memorize the different routes for those 4 on there different difficulty levels but again you're still missing the point that is not even disputed by the way that psikyo games are brutal memorizers in how you deal with stages and boss attacks. Fyi strikers 1999 gives you the same order upon booting the game so you can either turn the cab off and on or in mame just reload the rom to get the same level order everytime which are MEMORIZERS. Now cunt off you fucking dick sneeze.

>>2965228
>Randomized stage order defeats memorization because the difficulty changes depending on the order.
Just quoting this because i want you to see how stupid you are.
>>
>>2965097
Ok, I just played a bit more and I think know what my mistake was. I now tried to play with the ship which has a flamethrower, and even though I only played the game for 3 hours in total now, I managed to make it to stage 5 with this. Usually I always died in the third stage already.

The flamethrower ship works much better for me, because it is slower, and seems to have very good fire power. The other ships always were too fast for me to really be able to keep an overview.
>>
>>2965228
Only the first 4 stages though, and I don't think it matters in second loop since rank is always maxed out. The bulk of the game that actually matters is always fixed
>>
>>2965336
Not him, but why do you have to behave like a frustrated retard? Constantly insulting others really doesn't help your argument.
>>
Garegga doesn't even have loops, right? I really really like this game.
Even though it's the first bullet hell shooter, it seems to be the best to me.
>>
File: terra cresta.jpg (483KB, 850x1207px) Image search: [Google]
terra cresta.jpg
483KB, 850x1207px
This is one of the best games from "the Xevious era", in my opinion.

What is /vr/'s favorite early shmup?
>>
>>2965459
Of course, that's his shtick. Is this your first time in the stg general?
>>
epsxe records like ass. does any other emu record well?
>>
>>2965336
Calm down Australia-kun, you're gonna give yourself a heart attack one of these days by getting so upset over posts about video-games, of all things to get mad about.
>>
>>2965693
It does, but it has to be enabled in the cab settings, called Extended Mode.
>>
>>2965912
That's weird. Why would they make the effort to create another loop and then not even put it in the game really?
>>
>>2965696

Star Force. It never fails to impress me how far ahead of its time the game is in regards to enemy patterns and scoring secrets.
>>
File: ePSXe 2016-02-01 19-39-18-129.webm (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
ePSXe 2016-02-01 19-39-18-129.webm
1MB, 1366x768px
>>2965837
well, that was a poor choice of webbm
>>
>>2965980
>playing the PSX version
SHIT nigga, what the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>2965980
you should really be recording with ffmpeg
>>
>>2966006
didn't know there was another version

>>2966014
is it better than dxtory?
>>
>>2952754
Gun Frontier > RayForce
>>
>>2965459
There is no "argument" dipshit as i'm explaining facts about psikyo games and how they work so where the fuck does any "argument" fit in? Fucking waterskulls i swear.
>>
>>2966025
Get the saturn version the later version i hear that is much better. It was originally running on Saturn hardware arcade board like Radiant Silvergun they have the same composer too btw.
>>
>>2965980
w0t gaem?
>>
>>2966306
Looks like Soukyugurentai to me
>>
Have you ever ROM hacked your favorite shmup, /stg/?

http://daifukkat.su/hacks/ketarr/
>>
>>2965908
>Calm down Australia-kun
please shut the fuck up with this meme
>>
>>2966423
>implying Australia-kun isn't the funniest thing to have ever come out of /vr/
>>
File: radrynex2.gif (688KB, 159x144px) Image search: [Google]
radrynex2.gif
688KB, 159x144px
animooted version now
>>
>>2966241
Metal Black > Gun Frontier
>>
>>2966917
Yeah, nawh.
>>
File: Solar_Striker_Cover.jpg (159KB, 325x291px) Image search: [Google]
Solar_Striker_Cover.jpg
159KB, 325x291px
Posting my favorite shmup

You may fall at my feet and worship
>>
>>2966362
I played his DoDonPachi and Ketsui ones.

They're actually really neat, I didn't think it was possible to hack those games that much.

Apparently, Japanese people have already started bootlegging the Ketsui one, so some arcades in Japan actually have it.
>>
Shoe Tin Gay Never Die!!!
>>
File: 51q1rUlm1FL.jpg (59KB, 512x305px) Image search: [Google]
51q1rUlm1FL.jpg
59KB, 512x305px
I asked this in /v/ but didn't get an answer.

Is it true that Crimzon Clover World Ignition is one of the best shmups around right now?

I first heard about this game from a SuperBunnyHop video. He gave it a glowing review. I read some reviews here and there and apparently it's considered GOAT tier.

What makes it so different from other shmups?
>>
>>2967148
lasers from rayforce/ikurrga
chaining from donpachi
break mode that's essentially hyper from doj
>>
>>2967148
It's just more generic flashy bullet hell garbage. The best shmup on Steam right now is Dariusburst.
>>
>>2967148
If you like danmaku and Cave you will definitely love it. Its very Cave-like, just without the lolis.
>>
>>2967225
Especially Ketsui reminds me a lot of it.
>>
>>2967234
Why ketsui?
>>
>>2967241
The style of the game is very Ketsui-like, ie dark sci-fi style, rather than flying bees like Dodonpachi for example.
Plus the final boss is also very similar to the Ura boss from Ketsui. And it's just very Cave inspired in general.
>>
>>2967241
Don't you score better for point-blanking in CC like Ketsui?
>>
>>2967261
Not really. You get a multiplyer which grows bigger the more enemies you lock on with your missiles, kinda similar to Rayforce, only that you also can keep up a chain with this multiplyer afterwards by killing enemies, kinda like you keep up chains in Ketsui.
>>
http://poal.me/pkbjqf

VOTE NOW!
>>
>>2967148
It's the best doujin danmaku I've played, "best shmups around right now" is really up to interpretation as to what you want.

I love the game to pieces and it's one of the better shmups on Steam, but that doesn't mean much because there's maybe 3 good shmups on Steam right now.
>>
>>2968401
>maybe 3 good shmups on Steam right now.
Which ones are those?
>>
>>2968414

Kamui
Raiden IV: Overkill
Darius Burst: Chronicle Saviors
>>
>>2968414
Add Crimzon Clover and Mushi to >>2968462 and you have my answer. A bit more than three, but whatever lol.
Shame the Raiden pack is a shitty port, that would've been cool.
>>
>>2968414
XIIZeal
Eschatos
Dariusburst
>>
My Cho Ren Sha 68K on Windows 7 suddenly started to play abnormally fast.
Even the music is too fast.

It was working normally for months and I the settings are all default.

What caused this and how to fix?
>>
>>2969183
try changing your vsync or your monitor refresh rate
>>
What did you guys think of Wing Force? The unreleased Atlus shmup that got dumped last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29LYIi9UaA8
>>
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg
>>
>>2969212
haven't played it yet
>>
>>2969212
Interesting, thanks for bringing it up.
>>
>>2969183
Is it consistently fast? Win8 here, it occasionally runs fast or really, really slow for me but on my machine it fixes after a reboot. Are you running it in 98/ME compatibility mode?
>>
>>2969212
It's pretty fun. I've gotten to the final stage on 1 credit. I wonder what the conditions for second loop are, whether it's just to clear the first loop on one credit or if it's a bit more involved.
>>
File: Battle_Garegga_flyer01S.jpg (102KB, 456x640px) Image search: [Google]
Battle_Garegga_flyer01S.jpg
102KB, 456x640px
Battle Garegga turned 20 today
Thoughts? Does it hold up today compared to others?
>>
>>2969485
I honestly think it's overrated due to being a rare Saturn import. Other Yagawa games like Bakraid were better.
>>
>>2952754
I dont understand the mediafire ironical folder names
>>
who hype for raiden5
>>
>>2969497
>I honestly think it's overrated due to being a rare Saturn import. Other Yagawa games like Bakraid were better.

Most people play it on mame so it being a rare saturn import has nothing to do with its status in the shmups community which fyi has nothing to do with availability and everything to do with it's incredible longevity to scoring players, if you actually learn how to play it you'l see its awesomeness shine through. Bakraid? yeah it was alright but better than garegga? how so? It lacked the graphical detail, the ost is not even close and the scoring system once learnt is pretty odd even for a yagawa game (endless suicides to maintain enemy multiplayer chains).

>>2969485
>Battle Garegga turned 20 today
>Thoughts? Does it hold up today compared to others?
Well 20 years and it's still being pushed and played religiously by its fans i think that says it all desu, the games a masterpiece and yagawa really showed his great taste when he essentially made a homage to gun frontier but with a scoring system to fascinate players for ages even if it was somewhat accidental.
>>
>>2969956
>who hype for raiden5
Not really desu tried many times but ultimately never clicked with Raiden games I just find they have no personality and don't even do the memoriser thing the best either I'd rather play a psikyo game.
>>
>>2969485
It's a really good to play for survival, but the scoring mechanics in this game are a complete mess.

It's a good game and an excellent bullet hell shooter, but pretty overrated by the modern STG aka Bullethell cult
>>
>>2969965
>endless suicides
So just like Battle Garegga then
>>
>>2969485
It's my favorite from the raising games, with the exception of maybe Police Batrider.

that stage 2 music

but projectiles, as in most of those are fucking bothersome to see
>>
What's the best strategy for using the event items in Blazing Star? Do I just grab them while they're yellow, or let them roll over to a specific colour?
>>
>>2970000
>So just like Battle Garegga then
If you had any knowledge of both games "of course you don't" you would know bakraid has 10 times more suicides than garegga and they are much more connected to the scoring system directly where as in garegga they are predominantly rank/survival control based (aside from the birds trick if you use gain) but like I say i don't expect the talentless retards like you here to have any first hand knowledge of any of these games thus why you parrot inaccurate garbage you heard elsewhere.

>>2970013
>as in most of those are fucking bothersome to see
Honestly never been an issue for me but i have played garegga and ibara a lot and like most things with time you adapt and the problem disappears.

>>2969978
>It's a really good to play for survival, but the scoring mechanics in this game are a complete mess.
See literally confessing in the first sentence that you simply don't have the skill or experience with garegga to know what the fuck you're talking about thus why a well executed fairly complicated scoring system seems a "mess" to you and you have to dumb your approach down to only playing for survival whilst criticism the elements that are simply beyond you in a negative fashion. Pleb basically.
>>
>>2970239
>bakraid has 10 times more suicides than garegga
Doesn't matter. Garegga is still full of suicides too if you play for score.

>you simply don't have the skill or experience with garegga to know what the fuck you're talking about
Anyone can look up vids of this game, and see how the scoring works, you fucktard. You don't have to have a WR in this game for this you know. And the scoring mechanics are just completely retarded.

Go look up runs from Kamui and you will see what I mean. The runs are just full of dumb medal collecting, milking, suicides, and arbritary score rewards for destroying things with certain shot types. The scoring mechanics are just complete garbage in this game.
>>
>>2970330
Apart from ths is the game also unbalanced as fuck, to the point were it becomes basically impossible to not die if you collect a certain amount of power ups.
>>
Playing Garegga for survival is more fun than playing it for score.

How many of you fucks can NMNB-clear it?
>>
>>2970795
Isn't score = survival in garegga due to the extend system?
>>
>>2970013
>but projectiles, as in most of those are fucking bothersome to see

This bugged the hell out of me as well.

I think the Saturn version has an option to turn the projectiles into small bullets which are easier to see. But it only helps so much.
>>
>>2970837
The alternate arcade rom set had better contrasting bullets too with a button code to change their color. I think it's what they used as basis for the saturn version.
>>
>>2970819
Nah, scoring means you can suicide which helps lower rank which makes the game overall easier.
>>
>>2970859
But that's what I just said.
>>
>>2970868
You're comparing a score run to a challenge-survival run of Garegga which are not the same.
>>
>>2970330
Nah they're just beyond you because you're a pleb and a shit cunt and LOL at thinking i wouldn't of already watched Kamuis runs many times along with many others and i can fucking promise you you are not picking out all the tech going on just from watching. Still plenty of survival only shmups to choose from for the obnoxious spastic like you who needs a good spoonfeeding of basic premise to play a game. Fyi Kamuis runs are full of execution, amazing strategies and the results of lots of peoples investigations over the years but you refuse to appreciate that due to being fucking butthurt that your pea brain can't handle the game, you were the kid who had velcro shoes until he was 14 because he couldn't master laces.
>>
>>2970819
Fucking thick cunts in here everytime. A survival run which aims to keep the rank as low as poss will not score barely a quarter of a scoring run as you avoid medals and increasing the shot rate to much both being major contributers. Scoring runs are aiming to keep rank manageable but not rock bottom and Kamui actually wants to and does crank the rank very high for the last stage to get more tick points and valuable bomb milks on black heart mk2 but again the cunts here who like to believe they are experts from watching a replay won't know that.
>>
>>2971039
I see, yeah that was a stupid thing to say I apologize.
>>
>>2970795
you cant actually NMNB garegga
>>
>>2952754
My favorite shmup is definately AirZonk. No doubt about it.
>>
>>2971039
>the cunts here who like to believe they are experts from watching a replay won't know that
There is a reply with annotions about every detail Kamui does, you fucking brit. It's not rocket science to understand what this person is doing there.
>>
>>2971553
Why was PC Engine so good for shmups?
>>
>>2971959
Fastest processor of that generation, I think.
>>
>>2971959
Its popularity coincided with the popularity of space shooters.
>>
>>2971970
It was as fast as Genesis' which came a year later, but it couldn't carry as much data, so its games always felt slower than Genesis (though not as slow as the Super Nintendo, of course).
>>
>>2971743
>It's not rocket science to understand what this person is doing there.
Oh really? because you and the majority of posters here seem to be having a tough time with it as proven by the constant barrage of misinformation and dumb fuck opinions based on inaccurate assumptions that populate these threads everytime suggests.
>>
>>2972438
why is there always a yagawa autist in every /vr/ thread who gets this mad
>>
>Toaplan > Cave
>>
>>2972442
You people keep chatting inaccurate bullshit on games you know nothing about and im gonna keep posting the education simple as. Il make you my bitch full fagawa.
>>
>>2972438
Where did I spread misinformation you fuckwit?

I was just saying that Garegga's scoring mechanics can get really weird, because scoring runs are just full of suicides, milking (even in the form of exploiting "dead-zones" off-screen), and arbitrary scoring rewards for destroying certain things with certain shot types, where killing off a bunch of hidden flamingos in the background give you more points than a boss. To each their own, but I find these scoring mechanics really dumb.
>>
>>2972819
no wonder that someone as autistic as you would like yagawa games

they're built for special people just like you
>>
>>2972849
>I was just saying that Garegga's scoring mechanics can get really weird
No weirder than any other games set of rules I suppose you play chess and think "hmmm knights they move kinda weird, how dumb" and as for the deadzone exploit that's actually the newest trick in garegga and also the one that has banned the game from arcadia records unfortunately it also only happens once in stage 5. You don't kill the flamingoes and they are a homage like much of the game to gun frontier. You call the scoring mechanics dumb because why? you're the type of idiot who looks for realism in his shmup? and if they are so dumb then by definition you should be able to do them easily otherwise that makes you even dumber than what you claim. Out of curiosity what kinda games do you like in this genre?
>>
>>2972987
>You call the scoring mechanics dumb because why?
Because they result in shitty gameplay, you fucking retard. There is nothing interesting about watching a person milking a boss for 5 minutes, even if the person does some incredible dodging on the site. It just hurts the gameplay. It's also shitty gameplay if a person gets a better score than you, just because the person knew some arbitrary shit like shooting at some flamingos in the background with a weapon, although you actually were the better player. Arcade games should be about skills, not about reading guides of it and knowing every location for secret points in it as if it was an RPG.

Kamuis score runs are incredible, but watching a no miss-no bomb run of Garegga is still ten times more satisfying.
>>
Ikaruga has the best scoring runs, because it takes more to clear it than just streaming from site to site in order to beat it like most faggy danmaku shooters.
>>
>>2973180
Therefor Ikaruga also has absolutely shitty survival runs though.
>Ikaruga for score runs
>Battle Gregga for survival
>>
>>2973473
Even so.

Your typical Cavedrone and 2hufucker can't survival 1cc Ikaruga because it's "too weird" with the mechanics.
>>
>>2973483
I know, but the typical Ikaruga fan also can't 1cc it.
It's also not that the game i seasy to 1cc, imo, it's just full of situations, even in later levels, which get really trivial without scoring in mind.
>>
>>2973483
What a joker I don't know any medium tiered player who cant 1cc ikaruga as its a fucking joke for survival and as ive stated earlier the scoring ceiling is already maxed pretty much so the games useless at this point.

>>2973128
You still talk nonsense though it's showing that you still can't grasp the execution involved in the high level scoring tricks, it's much more than just "knowing" what to do. Wtf is your issue with the flamingoes? the game is 20 fucking years old do you really think anyone who plays garegga wouldn't know about bombing them yet? and fyi you could say the fucking same for almost any shmup if you choose to believe survival always counts for more than scoring system knowledge/execution. No you fucking turbo dyke arcade games should be whatever the fucking developer wants and not adhere to some nazi principle you made up in your custard brain and thats why we have variety and choice in the genre, dicksneeze. Finally you must hate most arcade games as most of them have lots of strats and so forth that you have little chance of knowing without looking into it for example the metal slug secrets or final fight/most beatemups so yeah you're a dildo.
>>
>>2973761
Maybe a flamingo raped his mother.
>>
>>2973761
>the scoring ceiling is already maxed pretty much maxed
Yea sure, that's also why superplayers like SWY can't even fully chain the game, even to this day. Nor is there any player yet who did a good double play run on hard mode. There is always room for improvement in Ikaruga, as literally every little dot you collect matters.

>you still can't grasp the execution involved
I already said Kamuis score runs are impressive, what is your fucking problem, you anglotard? Learn to read, you are dumb as fuck.

>high level scoring tricks, it's much more than just "knowing" what to do
If it takes a high level of skill at the game, then of course it is much more than this. Thanks for stating the obvious, you fucktard. However, the scoring in Garegga is also full of shit which doesn't take much skill at all. And just because it takes skills to do something, doesn't mean that it is good gameplay.

>do you really think anyone who plays garegga wouldn't know about bombing them yet?
Well, people also didn't know they could exploit a dead-zone in the game, so yes, of course many people who play or played this game didn't know about this, just like many probably also don't know about the scoring rewards you get for destroying the rings of the second boss in a certain completely arbitrary way, or whatever.

>if you choose to believe survival always counts for more than scoring system knowledge/execution
Where did I ever say that I believe something like this? Are you fucking retarded? I just think that the scoring mechanics in Battle Garegga are partly really dumb.

But whatever... you are talking so much bullshit, it really makes no sense arguing with an obviously braindead fucktard like you.
>>
>>2968414
Sora
Alltynex Second
Kamui
>>
File: boltman.png (83KB, 334x393px) Image search: [Google]
boltman.png
83KB, 334x393px
>>2973898
>2016
>being a doujinshithead
>>
File: 1445653255430.png (615KB, 684x648px) Image search: [Google]
1445653255430.png
615KB, 684x648px
>>2973925
>>
>>2973898
What about RefleX?
>>
>>2973934
kind of less fun to replay

but I do have fond memories of it, and the soundtrack is ace
>>
>>2973882
>I just think that the scoring mechanics in Battle Garegga are partly really dumb.
Not as dumb as Ikaruga though.
>>
>>2973882
I love it when you get disgruntled, what a sad cunt and you still skipped the fact that a massive majority of arcade games are filled with strats no one is likely to figure out aswell as a stupid nazi opinion of what arcade games "should" be, so what say thee? burger muff.
>>
>>2973851
>>2973851
>Maybe a flamingo raped his mother.
That'd make him a flamongo.
>>
>>2973761

Calm down Australia-kun. Battle Garegga is trash. It's nothing worth throwing a temper tantrum over.
>>
>>2971436
why not?
>>
>>2974170
2bh it doesn't even look that bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIvx1hhH5EU
>>
>>2974170
literally impossible
>>
>>2974176
Looks pretty tough, never really played BG outside of a few minutes on MAME
>>
>>>/m/13839215

Maybe we should move to /m/. /jp/ is too fruity, /vr/ only allows old shmups and /vg/ is too fast and meme-y.
>>
>>2974190
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyeKAvTMyYw
>>
>>2974331
The guy's got invincibility on though.
>>
Which Cave shmups feel the most Toaplan-esque?

I recently played Dangun Feveron and was not disappointed.
>>
>>2974914
>Which Cave shmups feel the most Toaplan-esque?
Donpachi is very much a toaplan as Ikeda said in an interview.
>>
>>2974176
>2bh it doesn't even look that bad
You know the hitboxs in garegga are pretty big right? It's a long thinsh rectangle.
>>
>>2969965
It works on mame now? That explains it's resurgence in popularity then since a few years ago it was unplayable and extremly broken on mame.
>>
>>2974914
>>2975025
Yeah it's pretty much DonPachi and Dangun Feveron.

DoDonPachi is when they started getting more unique, and it was pretty much right after DonPachi.
>>
File: 1454751000964.jpg (54KB, 600x389px) Image search: [Google]
1454751000964.jpg
54KB, 600x389px
This just happened.
>>
>>2975781
Thunderforce > Darius > R-Type > Gradius
>>
File: 1413998956905.gif (906KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1413998956905.gif
906KB, 500x281px
>>2975781

I need that. I REALLY need that. I want to have it so badly that I wish I could put myself in an induced coma to kill all the waiting time.
>>
>>2975807
Sort of agreed, but Gradius/Parodius > R-Type, and Ikaruga > all.
>>
>https://twitter.com/TAITO/status/695880732518920192
Festival, eh. I wonder when it will go up for people that don't go do fests.
>>
File: 15381015.jpg (229KB, 717x1012px) Image search: [Google]
15381015.jpg
229KB, 717x1012px
Fossils are friends!
>>
>>2975912
>figma tuna spaceship
why?
>>
>>2976372
>Iron Fossil
>Tuna
>>
>>2975908
> Ikaruga > all.
Fuck off.
>>
>>2976821

The only reason people like Ikaruga is because they are children who's first system was the GameCube. It's probably the first vertical shooter they ever played.

You've got to start somewhere. I can't blame them for being late to the party.

Seriously, Ikaruga is a shitty puzzle game. Radiant Silvergun was shit too. Silhouette Mirage was shit as well. Treasure is ok, but the games really aren't that great.

What these assholes really should have been playing at the time were Giga Wing and Gunbird 2 on the Dreamcast.

I guess the Dreamcast was too hardcore for these newcomers.
>>
>>2975908
Ikaruga is trash, kid.
>>
>>2976881
nigga can you seriously not see they are trolling?
>>
>>2976821
>>2976881
>>2976896

You need to have an IQ above 100 to enjoy games that aren't bullet hell trash.
>>
File: final-starforce-flyer1-300dpi.jpg (1MB, 1746x2452px) Image search: [Google]
final-starforce-flyer1-300dpi.jpg
1MB, 1746x2452px
I really suck at execution but I love figuring out routes and memorization, so Ikurrga is the perfect game for me.
Deal w/ it, bigots.
>>
>>2976907
>if you dislike Ikaruga you're a danmaku fanboy
Nice false dichotomy, Treasurefag.
>>
>>2952754

Isn't easier just to say "shooter"?

Yeah, it's too bad there is no shooter database, wouldn't that be useful.

I like ESPRade. It's like a mix between X-Men and DonPachi.

XBox360 has a lot of vertical shooters now. You won't know what they are because there is no shooter database. I probably have 99% of them, except all the fucking limited edition bullshit they force on Japan.

I like Doujin games too because there's nothing left to do. MAME was always cool. Console games are cool if you feel like setting them up. The Arcades are gone, thanks Mortal Kombat on the Genesis, fuck you.

2D Shooters deserve so much more than some shitty 4chan thread. God this site is full of faggots.

> inb4 we are all fucking faggots

There is no revival. Shooters have always been alive. You just didn't know jack shit. Shooters are like Metal. The mainstream is Jewed.
>>
>>2976907

Oh, you must be a 4chan faggot. Actual people don't call vertical shooters "bullet hell". You Jewish bitches made it up.
>>
>>2976912

Everyone is a bigot, go fuck yourself. The word has no meaning. Boo hoo, noone gives a fuck. Go pick another word from the Marxist dictionary.
>>
>>2976914
>There is no revival. Shooters have always been alive.

Good thing the OP is referring to the revival of /stg/, not shmups in general. Kinda obvious actually.
>>
>>2976912

Also, if you like Ikaruga, why are you such a bitch about it? Boo hoo, I'm such a faggot, I have to cry about the bigots who don't like it even though it's subjective as fuck.
>>
>>2976917
I was being ironic, nigger.
>>
>>2976920

You're calling them STGs now? Wow, you guys are gay as fuck.

Yo, let me get some STGs. Let me get my SHMUPs out.

Don't call them shooters, it might sound too fucking normal.
>>
>>2976930

Thanks for saying nigger, that's pretty awesome.

At least you're not niggardly.

Yo, have you seen that new Darius shooter on the Vita? lol, it might actually be cool if you have a Vita...
>>
>>2976934
Jesus fuck try to put down your anal flames.
>>
>>2976930

Oh, lol. You came across as so serious on a 4chan thread. I took you 100% literally, with no doubt whatsoever. Try to be more ridiculous next time. Take this as a warning.
>>
>>2976937
Not sure what you're getting at, but I honestly love routing. Nothing beats the satisfaction of replaying a difficult section over and over and knowing exactly what to do :) I like games that tend to reward that, and Ikaruga is one of those.
>>
>>2976936

Yeah, there's a Holocaust in my ass. I just gave birth to Anne Frank.

Let's see, there is Assault Suit Leynos on the PS4, Darius on the Vita. I don't even know where to start anymore. New games aren't necessarily any good.
>>
>>2976931

Don't forget to take your xanax.
>>
>>2976941

I love 3D backgrounds. I like trying to reorient myself while dodging bullets. I like 3D graphics in general. The contrast is so clean. It's obvious where the ships are, where the background is, where the bullets are. I can't wait to buy Raiden V on the XBoxOne.

Nothing better than 3D graphics for a vertical shooter.
>>
>>2976945

Luckily for me, there is a 2D Horizontal Shooter called Xanax, so perhaps that's what I'll do next.
>>
>>2976943
not retro so fuck right off
>>
>>2976952
Surely you mean Zanac? Or Xexex?
>>
>>2976953

Hahah, no such thing as "retro". You lose again, fuckers. I never stopped playing video games. I have no nostalgia.
>>
>>2976952
Ask your doctor if Xanax is right for you.
>>
>>2976957
Maybe /vg/ is more suited to you then, no one here cares about that modern garbage.
>implying you can follow simple rules
I guess not, you big manchild.
>>
>>2976954
>>2976959

xexyz, zaxxon

>>2976962

Well damn, dude, I guess I must have missed the other, sprite-based, shooters that were released on the latest consoles. I'll have to go back to being a poor bastard with no new stuff.
>>
>>2976962

are you cyber-bullying me?

anyone play cybattler?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/cybattler/cybattler.htm

like a mix between donpachi and commando.
>>
>>2976982

This is actually a pretty cool page.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/catalog/genre-shmupv.htm

Is there a video game database like the metal archives?

http://www.metal-archives.com/

I'm dead serious, I think we got fucked somehow.

I don't even know where to look to buy a new game or whatever. I literally have piles of money, full internet access, strong taste in games, yet I can't decide what to play next.

Should I make my own game? Should I make my own database? Is this thread all we have left? Do I buy Assault Suit Leynos on the PS4? Do I fuck around on the Doujin site? http://doujinstyle.com/ ? Do I fuck with the latest MAME?

I literally don't give a fuck. How am I supposed to care what to play next? How do we measure progress now? What do you consider to be the latest good games? The latest information?

I'm at the point where
>>
>>2975908
>>2976881
>putting Ikaruga, a verti shmup, in a comparison b/w hori shmups
Treasurefags at their finest ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>2977002

You're mad because I brought up Silhouette Mirage? It's the spiritual precursor to Ikaruga. It's where they got that shitty flip-color mechanic. Totally valid comparison.
>>
>>2977005
Didn't mind to quote the second post, sorry.
>>
>>2977001
i mostly browse stg weekly and replay burners, i'm already settled with my backlog for life
new steam releases usually get hyped up on /vg/ or even reddit if you don't mind forum wars
>>
>>2977005

Love how you bring up silhouette mirage like that's something obscure
>>
>>2977012

Oh, well I played it before the internet came out, so it was obscure at the time. It also sucked.
>>
>>2977008

You use Youtube like it's the news, and you use Steam like it's the video game store?

What if I wanted a list of every XBox360 vertical shooter? And you can't fool me, I have the physical copies right here. I know if you're missing one.
>>
>>2976881
>Treasure is ok, but the games really aren't that great.
How can a game company be okay if their games suck?

>>2976907
>ONLY STUPID PEOPLE LIKE SOMETHING THAT I DON'T!
>>
>>2977027
I don't actually use them, I'm settled for life.
>XBox360 vertical shooter?
Sadly they are not making those anymore, you'll have to dig through gamefaqs or mobygames or whatever.
>>
>>2977042

Oh, I was trying to prove a point. I've never seen an actual list of XBox360 Shooters, yet I think I have all of them. They are all Japanese.

I'm just saying, I don't have a way to know what I'm missing, really. It would be nice to have a hardcore video game database.
>>
>>2977036

Treasure is cool because they make hardcore games. More than I can say for most companies. They have ideological purity.
>>
I literally could get a box from the other room, type in the name of the japanese XBox 360 shooters inside the box, and could have a better list than any resource I can find on the internet right now. That's not right.
>>
>>2977057
360 is NOT RETRO you dumbass.
>>
>>2977072

No such thing as "retro". You're a moron.

XBox360 has DonPachi IV and others. Better than any bullshit you would call "retro".
>>
>>2977072

You're missing my point anyway, there is no awesome database for video games.
>>
>>2977050
What hardcore games have they made?
>>
>>2977089
What are you doing here ? LEAVE
>>
>>2977098

I don't know, why don't you tell me.
>>
>>2977118
>I'm more hardcore than you.
Watch out we have a tough guy here.
>>
>>2977120

lol, that's right. Don't make me smash the keyboard.
>>
>>2977123
you done humiliating yourself?
>>
>>2977127

You can't shame me. I'm not asian. Seriously, we don't have the same culture. You're not even making any sense.

Yeah, dude, you sure shamed me. I'm going to go hang myself in a Japanese Forest.

Retrofag.
>>
>>2977136
stay mad kiddo
>>
>>2977148

You asians taunt the shit out of each other, huh? lol.

Play some Batsugun.
>>
>>2977156
Already have, special version a shit original is where it's at. I actually think it's a much better game than Truxton.
>>
>>2977165

Gekirindan is interesting. Like DonPachi. Made by Taito.
>>
>>2977165

The Sega Saturn had a lot of good games. I'd buy some of them if they weren't $400 dollars on amazon.
>>
>>2977189

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters
>>
>>2975807
they're all pretty damn good for their own reasons imo
>>
>>2977403
Isn't Thunderforce easy peasy console shooter for casuals?
>>
>>2977407
TF3 is pretty fucking easy, yeah. TF4 is a bit more challenging.

TF4 has great art direction and music though, and it plays just fine.
>>
File: pedoshit.png (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pedoshit.png
93KB, 640x480px
>>2977175
I start playing this fucking game and this is the first thing I see. Fuck it.
>>
>>2977407
>shmup elitist
Go back to 2-alling your rehashed cave shit, now with pedobait loli tlb edition.
>>
>>2977435
>Go back to 2-alling your rehashed cave shit
Beats 1ccing a simple hori for the 100th time.
>>
>>2977702
>simple
>HURRDURR IF IT DOESN'T HAVE A DEEP CHAINING SYSTEM IT'S SHIT
Kill yourself nerd.
>>
>>2952754
>Raiden series, Gradius, haven't really explored the realm of Shmups but I do have a list of games that I want to try
>Raiden Densetsu for the Super Fami
>implying I have accomplished anything worthwhile

I mean I guess I got to stage four without dying once. Once you die, there's no coming back that far into the game. You're better off starting over.
>>
>>2978434
Now that's not what he said, is it?
>>
>>2978768
Thank god for savestates.
>>
File: Gradius_gaiden-cover.jpg (53KB, 356x352px) Image search: [Google]
Gradius_gaiden-cover.jpg
53KB, 356x352px
Just 1cc'd Gradius II and goddamn what a ride, i'm just getting into the genre but this is already one of my favs. Should i continue with Gaiden?
>>
>>2978889
Play III you baby.
>>
>>2978908
>+1 hour long shoot 'em up
no thanks bro, maybe when i'm more experienced.
>>
>>2978916
You're thinking of V, Gradius III can be cleared in half an hour.
>>
>>2978916
yeah gaiden is definitely easier than 3
play parodius after that, start with gokujyou or sexy parodius
>>
>>2978958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMf-pNBCG_4 Save-states run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC7A3iIdAwg Legit run with no slowdowns, so the original is longer.
>>
>>2978889

Uh oh, you triggered me.

I ordered Gradius Gaiden from Amazon, but the JapaJews cancelled the order.

Fuck you.
>>
>>2977416

Yeah, what's your problem? Looks cool to me.

It's not like it has anything to do with the game.

It's a fucking DonPachi clone.
>>
>>2978434
Stop projecting.
>>
>>2977416
>Guys help! They put a girl in my shooting game and I don't want to catch her cooties!
Maybe you should go back to system11 if you're going to be so triggered by Anne-ime.

His faggotry aside, I don't see much DonPachi in the game besides having three shot types. Could you elaborate?
>>
Should I buy Dariusburst on steam?
>>
>>2981495
Yes. There are a million stages.
>>
>>2981495
It's bretty gud
>>
>>2979841

It bears a superficial resemblance to DonPachi.

Cool enough for me.
>>
>>2979506
>>2982039
You're retarded, not only because it plays nothing like DonPachi, but also because it was released before DonPachi.
>>
>>2982039
>It bears a superficial resemblance to DonPachi.
Have you played either Gekirindan or DonPachi? That you keep saying there's any similarity leads me to believe you haven't.
>>
Gekirindan was meant to be an homage from Taito to Toaplan who had just recently went bankrupt.
>>
File: 28025401.jpg (215KB, 850x1202px) Image search: [Google]
28025401.jpg
215KB, 850x1202px
Is there a shmup with better atmosphere than this game?
>>
File: gunfrontier.jpg (76KB, 732x617px) Image search: [Google]
gunfrontier.jpg
76KB, 732x617px
>>2983914
I always thought it was reminiscent of Darius Gaiden.
>>
>>2982125
interesting
>>
>>2983914
r-type delta
>>
Is Mushihime sama worth the asking price on Steam? It's on sale for 13 Yuros.
>>
>>2985659
I don't care if it has chinese girls with skimpy clothing, I wanna know if it's fun.
>>
>>2985667
It isn't.
>>
>>2985669
Care to elaborate a bit more?
>>
>>2985667
You're the cancer killing schmups.
>>
>>2985703
Alright then, gonna buy it. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>2985706
You have to realize schmups were a thriving creative genre until you weeabos killed it off with the pedophile thing.
>>
File: 2016-02-10_550820891805428.jpg (78KB, 631x468px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-10_550820891805428.jpg
78KB, 631x468px
Nothing beats playing some thriving mouth watering schump instead of lolicon fantasy with giant breasts for pedos.
>>
File: weeaboo.png (144KB, 600x811px) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo.png
144KB, 600x811px
>>2985654
>>2985706
It's a pretty good game, and the scoring system on maniac and ultra difficulties is really deep. /stg/ just forgets (or willfully ignores) what website this is.
>>
File: kk.png (4KB, 577x86px) Image search: [Google]
kk.png
4KB, 577x86px
>>2986105
Thanks, man. Just picked it up.
>>
>>2985709
>pedophile
>she has gigantic tits and mature body
You might wanna look up what that word means again.
>>
>>2986140
Not the guy you're replying to but all this cutesy anime shit killed shmups. You weaboos need to go die in a sausage fire
>>
>>2986137
lel what a cuck.
>>
>>2986143
On the contrary, shmups died when people stopped going to arcades then "cutesy anime shit" zombified it.
Thread posts: 282
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.