[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/who/ - Doctor Who General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 39

File: Scherzo_cover.jpg (13KB, 318x315px) Image search: [Google]
Scherzo_cover.jpg
13KB, 318x315px
Scherzo Edition

Previously >>83523749
>>
Lie of the Land was the worst episode of New Who.

>Power of love saves the day
>Again
>>
Doctor Who and the Return of the Crazy Lady Who Thinks She's Pregnant with Peter's Child

https://twitter.com/AlexisGreaves/status/869381569588416513
>>
my brother got really excited for Capaldi's regen.
Then he got really down.

but at least it showed us what his actual one will be like :^)
>>
What this episode really needed is a second part and more worldbuilding.

And Bill should've died.
>>
Was there any TARDIS in this episode?
>>
Normies hated it. Like, *hated* it.

Also it was up against some big stuff. Expect poor viewing figures.
>>
There was nothing wrong with the episode except love saves the day again. Everything else was good. You're just assblasted they did a bait and switch with the regeneration. Best episode of the series. Stay mad, cucks.
>>
>>83528864
You're right I did like the regen scene I'm just pissed it meant jack shit. But if that was pretty cool something tells me it's gonna be a sad christmas this year.

>>83528897
no
>>
>>83528964
No, everyone knew the regeneration would be a ruse. The story did not need to be 3 episodes long.
>>
Gatiss ep will save series 10. Dubbbs
>>
https://twitter.com/CreditBitCoin/status/861760077946138624
TIL London isn't in England
>>
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-03/doctor-who-the-lie-of-the-land-review-showing-bill-fire-a-gun-at-the-doctor-is-horribly-misjudged
>>
Uh, after one illogical, and the second just a weak episode in the Monk trilogy, Whithouse did not fail. It seems to me that this episode must have an additional 10 minutes, it's too hasty, it does not fit such a large-scale plot into the usual timekeeping. But, in general, the story is much more complete and without plot holes. Yes, again the power of emotions, but it's already part of DW now, deal with it. Especially here it is applied on telepathic devices, so it is quite justified.

And, yes, Missy in the Vault with the piano is not a self-repetition, Steven, defenetly. No resemblance to another psychopath, which was also kept locked up with a musical instrument for entertainment.
Nevertheless, the symmetry is quite interesting: at the beginning of the Twelfth Era, the Doctor doubted that he is a good person, and in the end of the Era, Missy wanted to become a good person. I hope thit is leads to something interesting led to a good story in the end. But doubt, it's Moffat.

And it is ashame that the Minister of War did not come up.
>>
>>83528964
We've been through bait and switches before, but this one didn't really do anything interesting. Has he lost a regeneration now? Why didn't Bill react at all? Does she know he can regenerate now? When did she find out?

And so on and so forth
>>
>>83528987
it's gonna be a W H O P P E R
>>
>>83529026
>And, yes, Missy in the Vault with the piano is not a self-repetition, Steven, defenetly. No resemblance to another psychopath, which was also kept locked up with a musical instrument for entertainment.

Moffat is such a hack.
>>
The show is dead.
>>
Apparently Simm is GOAT in World Enough / Doctor Falls, and steals the show.
>>
File: 7gxf.jpg (19KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
7gxf.jpg
19KB, 700x400px
>They couldn't even rip off a consent-based villain from children's spin-off
>>
I still love Moffat but dear God, we need new blood. Everyone on that team just seems so tired.
>>
File: kino.png (309KB, 662x424px) Image search: [Google]
kino.png
309KB, 662x424px
New trailer for Empress of Mars

KINO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_IHr9U5zJY
>>
File: ss (2017-06-03 at 10.27.10).jpg (78KB, 1184x627px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-06-03 at 10.27.10).jpg
78KB, 1184x627px
This look like cyberman tech to you guys?

Trying to find a reason for the cyberman music playing other than incompetence.
>>
>>83529164
this

it really shows that moffat wanted to leave after series 9
>>
>>83529156
He's a pretty great actor in general so I'd believe it.
>>
>moffat can't even manage to close an arc properly in his final series
>>
>>83529183
They're on Mondas in every episode from now until the finale. Post-Monk Earth is Mondas.
>>
>>83529224
But don't the Mondasians appear in a hospital on a giant ship in ep 11?
>>
WHERE THE FUCK WAS ERICA?
>>
>RISE MY ICE WARRIORS! RIIIIIIIISE!

Yeah, no, I de tended Sleep No More but I can't defend this. Fuck you Gatiss it's like you're trying to churn out even shittier episodes every year.
>>
>>83529321
This ep will probably be good though
>>
File: simmy.gif (766KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
simmy.gif
766KB, 480x270px
>tfw Simm saves Series 10
>>
>>83529178
Looks pretty fun desu
>>
>>83529357
It looks like a cheesy Matt Smith era episode.
>>
I hated it because he didn't fool anybody, including the characters in the scene, with the regen. Squandered drama even if taken as a fake out. Faking the audience out at the end of Series 4 with David Tennant made sense, whereas nobody with half a brain would believe the Doctor was going to regenerate ten minutes into a mid-series episode, and Bill wouldn't know what a regen looked like, so it was just there to be used in trailers and lie to the audience that they are going to get a more interesting story than they were, when in actuality they got a severely underdeveloped story that ticked off all the negative elements of modern series finales.
>>
>>
File: 1469580413048.jpg (94KB, 700x447px) Image search: [Google]
1469580413048.jpg
94KB, 700x447px
>Big finale of the ''Monk trilogy''
>Monks get NO dialogue
>STILL no Simm

What the FUCK was Moffat thinking/
>>
Welp doesn't looks like we're getting a good episode till the finale
>>
File: simmdoc.png (122KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
simmdoc.png
122KB, 960x540px
>>83529491
You called?
>>
>>83529478
Idk man, It's making me really anxious to see if Chinball can salvage this show from Moffats grubby fingers.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkkVGPnXHSM
I fucking love how Christel for the last three weeks two times said that Moffat will come, and he did not come both times, and Whithouse did not come this time, so they had to replace him with some FUCKING GUY FROM THEY OWN SHOW.
Everybody hates Christel. I will be laughing if Gatiss didn't show up on next week.
>>
File: capaldi reg.png (1MB, 1911x1080px) Image search: [Google]
capaldi reg.png
1MB, 1911x1080px
MFW only 5 capaldi episodes left .... I remember the livestream its not fair.
>>
>>83529398
Gatss said he's always wanted to do this story, so it pretty much is.
>>
Remember when a young girl on Twitter told Gatiss he was her favourite writer but she misspelled him as Gatis and all he ever replied was "It's Gatiss though."?
>>
The fake regeneration is the ultimate pleb filter. If you got triggered, you're a pleb.
>>
>>83529634
no
>>
Well, I didn't hate it as you guys, but monks are surely a letdown.

The main issue with that episode was act 3 - which was
a) really boring
b) resolution was really dull

I felt like doctor was a bit OOC in this episode, like he's going crazy or something.
>>
File: 20170603_174030.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_174030.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>watching the torchwood marathon on bbc america
fucking briggs
>>
File: MarkGatiss1.jpg (19KB, 380x308px) Image search: [Google]
MarkGatiss1.jpg
19KB, 380x308px
He's killing /who/ and is smug about it!
>>
>>83529682
it would have been kino if he actually regenerated that way
>>
>>83529634
BASED GATISS
>>
>>83529634

No but it sounds hilarious. Did she cry?
>>
Right bois it's pool time

>what will the christmas special be called?
>what will cause 12 to regenerate
>what will 12's final lines be?
>what will 13's first lines be?
>>
>no torrents up

:/
>>
>>83529705
If this episode was in a vacuum it wouldn't be that bad. It's that this episode is just showing that we're right back to all the things about Moffat that we fucking hate that makes it so frustrating.
>>
>>83529769
last episode is "The doctor falls" so the xmas special will be
"Doctor poo rises"
>>
>>83529771
There's a mega floating around somewhere
>>
What was the Monks' goal though?
>>
File: Nick-Clegg-looking-pained.jpg (15KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
Nick-Clegg-looking-pained.jpg
15KB, 300x279px
>the Monks ruled Earth for six months
>No LOTTL reset button

Seriously, like every other present day episode now has the world get seemingly irreversibly turned upside down if not straight up conquered. It's worse than ever now since it's not just the show, even the comics and Big Finish do this shit, I swear the 2010s Whoniverse Earth must have had like 100 catastrophes surpassing 9/11 and half a dozen alien occupations.

I miss the Ponds period when nothing big really happened on Earth the stakes were based on the Doctor's domestic stuff. Hell, when these events happened in the RTD era they actually mattered across multiple shows (thank god Class ain't getting a second series after this). Here's hoping Chibnall will end the gangbang of cataclysms of the week.
>>
>>83529769
>what will cause 12 to regenerate

Moffat has said he goes out a warrior and does something reckless and in the moment, so I'm guessing he does a suicidal attack on the enemy.
>>
>>83529908
Monk everything up I guess haha
>>
The main issue about this episode is that it wasted two episodes before that to prepare for this one.
It wasn't THAT bad as you guys make it be, surely. Directing was pretty nice.
I disliked boring as fuck ending and power of love.
>>
>>83529908
The same thing any dictator wants. Power. They control the people and get whatever the fuck they want. A planet of slaves.
>>
Anyone else disliked Capaldi in this? Final monologue about Bill's mom is pure cringe. I really think so.
Also his laugh when on ship.
Felt really OOC and just stupid at times.
>>
>>83529769
13's first lines will be "Bee Movie? I'd pay to watch that any day." (because it's Kris Marshall, natch)
>>
Am I the only person that liked Lie of the Land?
I even got a bit tearful when Bill's love for her Mum BTFOd the monks.

Probly cos my Mum's dead too, and I miss her.
>>
>>83530121
It was really rushed and underdeveloped. They should have compressed extremis and pyramid into one episode and used the last two parts to flesh out monk dystopia
>>
Has the power of love saving the day ever been a good thing?
>>
File: KrisQA.jpg (127KB, 922x1500px) Image search: [Google]
KrisQA.jpg
127KB, 922x1500px
What will his first lines be?
>>
>>83530200
The Lodger was cute.
>>
>>83529407

I hoped that they actually would regenerate him and have him played by a random actor for the rest of the episode - only to be revealed it's still all part of the simulation from the first part.
>>
>>83529571

I don't know who this is and I don't care. I imagine most people in this thread feel the same
>>
>>83529813
>>83530120
killing me S O F T L Y
>>
>>83530224
Strawberry.
Blonde.
>>
>>83529769

13's first lines will be "good gracious a ginger at last" however, delivered in a thick Indian accent which is how he will talk for the whole of his run
>>
>World gets taken over by alien force
>Doctor needs to use a psychic link across peoples brains to save the world
ALL AROUND ME ARE FAMILIAR STORIES
>>
>>83530121
I liked it too. To me it didn't feel like Bill was stronger minded than the Doctor, it's just the Doctor was just trying to correct facts. Bill's memories fell back to her mom, and the emotional connection couldn't be over written. It's a single memory that couldn't be corrupted, so just focusing on that exhausted all the monk's power. I'm sure the Doctor could have done the same thing if he thought of it, but he was too focused and determined on the idea that he just had to simply put the correct history in. So the solution here happened to be love, but anyone in the room probably could have done it with any special memory. To me that doesn't make it feel all that cheap.
>>
>>83530316
Sanjeev Bhaskar IS The Doctor!
>>
Is there a mag link for the episode anywhere yet?
>>
So, they humanity will just fucking ignore all the lost people and statues all around the world?
Come on.
>>
>>83530184
But I liked Extremis too (my fave ep of s10 so far), almost as much as Lie of the Land.

Pyramid not so much, but I only expect to like about two thirds of any DW series anyway.
>>
>>83530367
It's literally the worst ep of NewWho.
>>
That was bad even by Doctor Who's standards. Holy Christ, I feel so bad for Capaldi. Wasted, wasted talent.
>>
File: 1459717559703.jpg (379KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1459717559703.jpg
379KB, 600x900px
>>83530109
That final monologue was gross, as was the whole climax. Even Smile's was better.

>>83530353
How crazy would it have been if instead of Bill's memories of her mum, the device tapped into the Doctor's memories of Clala?
>>
>>83529929
>I miss the Ponds period when nothing big really happened on Earth

Universe gets destroyed and rebooted
Statue of Liberty becomes a weeping angel
World is invaded and controlled by the Silence
Whole of history happens at once and is magically reset
The Earth is invaded by cubes that give a third of the world fatal heart attacks
>>
>>83530109
I liked the laugh though. Shows he can have fun.
>>
>>83530272
oi that's my line matey stay off, I'm the new tripfag here
>>
>THREE (3) EPISODES TO DEVELOP AND ESTABLISH NEW ICONIC VILLAINS
>THEY END UP BARELY SKETCHED

WHAT DID WRITERS MEAN BY THIS
>>
>>83530456
namefag =/= tripfag
>>
>>83530456
>calls himself a tripfag
>actually just a namefag
You fucking retarded.
>>
>>83530500
>>83530508
oh shit I got it wrong, I'm genuinely mad
This was my chance to make /who/friends
>>
>>83529416
>make entire episode about propaganda and subliminal messaging
>that is propaganda, which uses subliminal messages
Leftist hypocrisy disgusts me.
>>
>>83529159
The Trickster was the best part about SJA
>>
>general opinion of /who/ regarding Moffat is now net negative

Thank God. I was over Moffat by Series 6B.

Moffat's tenure has been characterised by sporadic bursts of genuinely well written dialogue intermixed with total shite stories, characters and style.

More often that not, he does not write entertaining television. I know the budget is small so I'm not asking for kino; I just want coherent narratives and interesting, fun ideas.

You lot mock RTD but he reigned over almost all of the great New Who episodes, many written by Moffat, and produced a varied, fun show.

Moffat is boring.
>>
Link to /who/ discord server???
>>
literaly Love & Monsters tier, I am glad that Moffat fucks offerino soon.
>>
>>83530626
The one where SJ has to choose to save her parents was a cracker, it's a real shame she died.
>>
>people will forget about that
>nobody will notice 6 months gone
>nobody will notice labour camps

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WHY MODERN WHO CANT HAVE CONTINUITY??? WHY??? HOLY SHIT WHYY???
>>
>>83530546
I'll be your friend Anon

>>83530655
It's a secret
>>
>>83530707
Love & Monsters was unironically better than this. I never thought I'd say it, but it is no longer the worst episode of Doctor Who ever made.
>>
File: regen_.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
regen_.webm
3MB, 640x360px
What a retarded scene
>>
tfw have only watched 2005+ who

what old episodes would you recommend?
>>
>>83530642
One thing about RTD was, no matter how hugely retarded the story got you knew you were in for a fucking ride.
>>
>>83530353

Isn't it also implied that it couldn't be corrupted because it's an image of a person built entirely in Bill's mind - it's not actually based on any real memories
>>
>>83530363

No lie I would watch the shit out of that. He should bring his Kumars Nan as the companion
>>
So, do you think Bill's mother will actually lead to anything? Or this thing is being forced so straightforward is just a coincidence?
>>
>>83529929
>I miss the Ponds period when nothing big really happened on Earth the stakes were based on the Doctor's domestic stuff

oh, fuck you
>>
>>83530823
THIS. Totally this.
>>
>>83530883
That plotline clearly ends here, unfortunately
>>
If I wanted some shitty over dramatic muh long arc shit show I'd watch shit like Downton Abbey
>>
Next week should be ... interesting... having Bill meet the Zulu soldiers
>>
>>83529183
That looks VERY much like Ice Warrior tech.
Did you ever watch the 60s ones?
>>
>>83530938
It failed on all levels, then.
It was extremly anticlimatic, and all previous moments of Bill's mum (except The Pilot which was rather sweet) were terrible.
>>
>>83530224
Is he confirmed to be the new doctor?
>>
>>83531015
No I haven't, my bad.
>>
>>83530823
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c9ng1KV5LU

You're right. RTD was better at writing for television, and keeping things exciting.

Moffat should have stuck to saving all of his ideas for kino two parter one offs. Moffat is great in short measured bursts.
>>
Just caught up

Wtf was the point in those last three eps?
>>
>>83530883
MUH STRONG BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMEN WHO DONT NEED NO LIFE
>>
I miss RTD so much.

One of my favourite episodes is Waters of Mars. You've got a pretty solid Doctor saving the day story, but you've also got a good time travel story in the concept of predestination and the greater good and the cost of meddling. And the Doctor has character, he's not just le clever spaceman, he's arrogant, and guilty of hubris to the highest degree, and very fallible, and very vulnerable, at the end. It's just a great episode of television. It's the peak of what RTD wrote but that sort of stuff comes up quite a lot for his episodes. I can't remember a single occasion where the writing under Moffat has been even a fraction as interesting or compelling. He doesn't take good risks, where the gamble is that you may alienate the more childish parts of the audience in the pursuit of good, mature writing, he takes the bad risks, where you might end up with crappy writing in the pursuit of appeasing that childish audience.
>>
>>83531113
If RTD was a soap opera, Moffat creates either fairy tales or morose dramas. After 3+ years of the latter I'm more than ready to go back to the former.
>>
Oh god I'm so glad that dominant narrative is now "Please get rid of Moffat he's ruining everything".
That's /who/ I love.
>>
>>83531103
No. But I think everyone will be surprised if he isn't. His role in DiP was literally a rehearsal for playing the Doctor.
>>
File: tfw.png (686KB, 686x582px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
686KB, 686x582px
>be lifelong Doctor Who fan
>turn down dream role because you're scared you'll mess it up
>regret it for 20 years
>get offered the part a second time against all odds
>bite their hand off at the chance
>get absolutely stoked
>can't believe this is happening
>absolutely ready to give it your all
>you actually get to play your childhood hero
>three years in
>ratings at the lowest they've been in years
>the scripts just keep getting worse
>yfw
>>
>>83531113

I know the Face of Boe is a prop but is the mouth CGI or is it animatronic?
>>
>>83531309
Probably done via image manipulation / animatronic
Looks too stiff to be a 3D model
>>
So, what was the point of this three-parter?
Usually characters have to overcome themselves, so that something changes in them or in the world. Do you think Monks will be ever referenced by anyone in the future? Do you think Doctor or Bill learned something from this three-parter 'epic' adventure?
>>
Rate the episode out of 10
>>
>>83531306
Imagine what Capaldi could do with this:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjUSzpYcuA
>>
>>83531221
We did it Reddit!!
>>
>>83531416
>>
>>83530810
Why did he fake a regeneration?
>>
When did Moffat kill Doctor Who guys? Series 9 and 10 have been utter shite.
>>
>>83531416
One of the most ambitious stories they've ever attempted and honestly they completely nailed it. One of the best episodes of Doctor Who I've ever seen. Bravo Moffat, Bravo
>>
>>83531416
>>
>>83531416

And the entirety of those 4 points are awarded for the Doctor up until the point where the ruse was revealed
>>
>>83531455
>when

Around series 6B.
>>
>>83531455
are you saying s8 was.....good?
>>
File: 1422229531277.jpg (1MB, 1701x2865px) Image search: [Google]
1422229531277.jpg
1MB, 1701x2865px
>>83531160
>RTD era
>pursuit of good, mature writing
>>
I feel like the turning point really was Last Christmas.
>>
>>83531514
God I hated that shit. Husbands and Mysterio were much more enjoyable specials
>>
>>83531510
Not OP but it was.
>>
File: 72h4tx8f.gif (286KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
72h4tx8f.gif
286KB, 300x225px
>>83531513
>>
>>83531306
Yeah, but he got to play the only speaking role in a DW episode (apart from one line), and that episode is ranked 2nd best of NewWho on IMdB.

He'll be happy with that no doubts.
>>
>>83531459
If this isn't sarcasm, Moffat you need to leave
>>
ITT: /who/ overreacts
>>
>another last of the time lords

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS? Gallifrey is now okay, but in the end of universe? Or am I getting this wrong? God, this is too hard to follow when you can just randomly go to Gallifrey at any time, but still keep saying "IT'S LOST XDDD"
>>
>>83531409
My idea for possibly bringing the monks back is a cult that wishes to be ruled by the monks because then the future is safe. So they summon the monks and their powers start to take a hold but not so suddenly because the cult doesn't have a position of power.
>>
>>83531549
Husbands and Mysterio were utter crap.
>>
Why do I enjoy the episodes on first watch then gradually start to hate them?
>>
File: Russell_T_Davies.jpg (443KB, 1777x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Russell_T_Davies.jpg
443KB, 1777x1280px
>>83531513
At lease these images make me feel something.

Moffat Who is passionless and boring. Going though the motions, like an episode of the Simpsons from this century.
>>
File: 1496420714916.png (89KB, 417x336px) Image search: [Google]
1496420714916.png
89KB, 417x336px
Reminder that /who/ is and always will be moffchad territory
>>
>>83531620
I'm the opposite.
>>
Terrible episode.

All it made me realise was that we've been robbed of at least half a season of great potential scenes between Missy and Capaldi just because Moffat wasnted to keep a secret - a secret which every figured out immediately at that.

What was the fucking point?
>>
>>83531625
I'm sorry, mate, I didn't realize you were autistic
>>
- why did the doctor waste regeneration energy if bill doesn't know about regeneration
- if he's going to go around wasting regeneration energy why didn't he just fix his eyes
- how did bill link minds with the monk, are the monks just open to everyone?
- why did they move the pyramid
- why were they even using a pyramid
- there's time lords now, why was missy another "last time lord"
- why did we spend three whole episodes on this
>>
>>83531550
Orient, Flatline and listen were the only good episodes. And two of those are only thanks to Mathieson. The rest were either moffat fuckery, Gattiss or Matt smith era reject scripts
>>
>>83531709
I liked Robot of Sherwood. I think it had its charm, also great directing. No idea why people hate it.
>>
Fucking christ /who/ stop overreacting
>>
>>83531682
>why did the doctor waste regeneration energy if bill doesn't know about regeneration
To have bait in the next time promo. Probably was Moffats idea. I was really glad we've managed to come to far through Capaldi's era without a cheap fakeout regeneration to attract views and create fake drama, but nope.
>>
>>83530818
Marco Polo
>>
>>83531620
Because you come on /who/ afterwards and are told about the plot holes you hadn't noticed.
>>
>>83531761
People took it too seriously. It's nothing more than campy fun. I think people will rate it higher retrospectively, when we're a couple years into Chib's reign of terror.
>>
>>83531132

Basically... the monks were some aliens who wanted to invade Earth for some reason. To do this they somehow built an identical simulation of Earth which for some reason let them predict the future. They then waited until right before a potential disaster to land their craft (which looked like a pyramid for some reason) into some country (which they made up for the show) because they somehow need consent to invade the planet (or something).

For some reason Bill was the only person who could consent because there was no motive to her consent, even though there was.

This somehow produced a consent powered signal which convinced everyone the monks had always been around and they took over the whole planet in 6 months. Their reason for taking over the planet isn't really made clear.

The Doctor somehow gets Bill in to their base at the end and all of the fake history was coming out of one monk's head. For some reason Bill was able to overpower the fake news by touching his head and thinking about her mum and this made all the monks run away and everyone somehow forgot the monks ever existed.
>>
>>83531761
It's one of my favourite Capaldis. People complain that it's like a Smith leftover but that's the charm for me. A Smith ep with the Capaldi Doctor in full disdain for plebs mode.
>>
File: sixth-doctor-6.jpg (239KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sixth-doctor-6.jpg
239KB, 1280x720px
3 and 6 - curly haired
4 and 8 - curly haired
5 and 10 - trainers
6 and 12 - shit stories
>>
File: concerned capaldi.jpg (28KB, 355x392px) Image search: [Google]
concerned capaldi.jpg
28KB, 355x392px
>tfw we still have to sit through Eaters of Light before Cybermen and Simm
>>
>>83531888
I personally found it incredibly boring, as I tend to with the 5 billion other medieval/Victorian episodes
>>
>>83531948
m-maybe it'll be one of those episodes that you expect to be shit but end up being pleasantly surprised? Queen of mars on the other hand looks irredeemable
>>
Chibnall will not save the show. Not because Moffat has fucked it beyond repair, even if he had Chibnall wouldn't be able to because he's not that good, it's simply that the show has done run its course. There's nothing new to tell. Every single kind of Doctor has been done: broody, zany, funny, cross, human, alien, ... Every type of companion will now feel like a rehash from previous ones. All the stories sound samey and end the same way. It will be the same thing under Chibnall. Time to let Doctor Who die.
>>
Why did the Monks want Earth?
Why did they not just kill the Doctor?
Why did this benevolent race let two world wars happen?
Why did they keep their ship on Earth and not in Space?
Missy said when they fail, they just go oh well it wasn't meant to be and just find another planet.
Why did they need secret police? They could literally vaporize anyone they didn't like.

What was the point of the Monks? Were they just megalomaniacal squatters? Because the only thing I'm getting out of these episodes is just that they wanted somewhere to live.
>>
In your honest opinion /who/ when do expect the show to be put on another "hiatus" cancellation?
>>
>>83531618
Anon said they were enjoyable. But a fast food takeaway is enjoyable too, even tho it's also full of crap.
>>
You know what thing actually bothers me?
Bill lived through 6 months of totalitarism and terror of Monks' 1984 society. She was even able to shoot the Doctor.

And I'm calling it now.
This will never be referenced again, ever. Bill will remain same old same old Doctor's student who asks questions and sometimes gets angry.
>>
>>83532015
The writer is Rona Munro so I hope its good. But from what I've seen, a shit CGI animal, it looks crap
>>
>>83531682
I dont even think he wasted any regeneration energy it looks like he just performed a lil parlour trick. Plus he has 12 extra regenerations so who cares lol
>>
>>83531184
Maybe S5-8 Moff. Current Moffat is writing that still tries so hard to pretend to be smarter than you for being convoluted and aimless.

This whole segment was agonizing, especially considering where the episode went. Which sucks because this should have been a room of dynamite interaction.
>>
>>83532072
A few years into Chibnall who. Probably after the first 3 series, amounting to the 3 years contract they've signed.
>>
>>83531416
>>
File: tfw what anon said.jpg (127KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
tfw what anon said.jpg
127KB, 720x404px
>>83531948
>>
File: Ian.jpg (66KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ian.jpg
66KB, 1024x768px
>>83532029
The Doctor is too good a character.

I love him, and I think we all do.

The show has 1000s of things to do, it's just there is no talent/passion behind the camera.

>https://youtu.be/tyaPqTg3d8c?t=46s

Just listen to this tune from 0:56 and tell me you can't imagine worlds, peoples, ideas or struggles for the Doctor to encounter. Think of all the places we could go.

We just need a drastic re-imagining of the show, from the ground up.
>>
>>83532121
The biggest problem with Moffat is him never fucking delivering on anything. Nothing ever ends in his stories, it's just an endless stream of stay tuned next time to see the REAL twist.
>>
This three-parter contributed literally nothing. Literally. Shit-tier villain with no real motives and backstory, we don;t know shit about what they can and can't do, so that completely kills the tension and makes us not care at all.
Main cast characters went through ZERO character development. ZERO good side characters were introduced.

I feel robbed.
I would exchange those episodes for three straightforward Gatiss episodes.
>>
>>83532080
Bill is a bland filler companion. Her introduction had potential but it's all been squandered. Although Moffat was smart in making her a minority lesbian which is practically criticism proof.
>>
>>83532125
Whataboutery the 5 year deal with the Chinese major media group?

If DW becomes mega in China (reminder a population of 1.3+ fuckbillion), would BBCWW cancel it if viewing figures a shit elsewhere?
>>
Fuck offerino, the power of love has only been used four times in Moffat Who

>The Lodger
>Closing Time
>The Snowmen (very arguably)
>Rings of Akhaten (arguably)

I don't recall any other episode where the emotion known as love saved the day.
>>
>>83532319
Death in Heaven
>>
>>83532045

They were so technologically advanced they could build a perfect simulation of Earth that can predict the future and a fake news machine powered by consent.

What was their motive in taking over the Earth?
>>
My series rankings so far. Being honest.

The Pilot

POWER GAP

Oxygen
Extremis
Smile
Thin Ice
Knock Knock

POWER GAP

Pyramid
The Lie of the Land
>>
>>83532278
What do you propose? Honestly classic Who was way too slow, and I think modern Who is too fast (no characterisation for secondary characters, exposition said and not shown, no lasting character development, ...) but the Series 9 two parter were a failure and dragged. I honestly don't know where the show can go now.
>>
>>83532362
Okay five. But then again it was a Cybermen story.
>>
>>83532415
Two Words:

Cartmel Masterplan
>>
>>83532415
I just don't think it should be a series anymore. I actually understand RTD's thinking behind the year of just hour long specials now.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1913x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1913x1076px
>>83531306
>>
>>83532379
>can predict the future

>couldn't predict that the Doctor or his Assistant would do anything after the take over.
>>
>>83531682
>- why were they even using a pyramid
Moffat just likes it
remember The Wedding of River Song?
with other monks

and yet still no sutekh in the vault
>>
Guys I have to admit, this episode wasn't too bad after all. I mean, I smoked a lot of weed earlier and after all, being high is the only way to get anything amusing out of this show now
>>
>>83532415
>no characterisation for secondary characters, exposition said and not shown, no lasting character development
How about actually doing all this? Slow down the show and either give it a proper arc with real resolution per series or make it a series of one-offs with enjoyable side characters. Also no more super important special companions from modern day earth with invincible plot armor. Fucking branch out a bit. Let the doctor take a break from being the most important man in the universe too.
>>
>>83532471
Does The Doctor really need to be thought of as even more powerful than he already is in the show at this point? There's no point if he just literally becomes a god.
>>
can someone explain to me why those don't blink angels are so scary to Dr. Who, why doesn't he just travel back in time and find the victims?
>>
Red alert series x gone rotten
>>
Remember when in RTD era every episode had some consequences in character development of main characters? It's like Martha became UNIT soldier veteran because she had to survive a year in the evil totalitarian society knowing her best friend and teacher is imprisoned by the invaders...
>>
I really think 10x60minutes episodes are the way forward and they should write them like American shows, with cliffhangers every 20 minutes but with no ads because it's the BBC. I heard Chibnall wants a 8x60 format just like Broadchurch but I hope they push for 10.
>>
>>83532578
he's "involved in events" (?) so he can't. or something
>>
>>83532639
There was a consequence. Bill made up an imaginary mum, who dressed just like she does. That bond saved the world, and she'll never narrate another episode again or think about any of this and the monks will never be mentioned again unless Capaldi has to make a speech about protecting the earth.
>>
>>83532643
>480 of the Doctor all gloomy on a cliff glazing at a dead nebula and the Ornalfur's sad piano while the new companion is raped by old space farmers
>>
Why the FUCK is nothing happening at all? We get 5 minutes of exposition, 30 minutes of people standing and talking in a room, 5 minutes of action and then 5 minutes of the usual Vault bullshit. It's been like this for every single Series 10 episode. Fuck all is happening. It's slow, it's boring. Series 9 had two parters but had more action than that. Christ. People are falling asleep in front of their TV.
>>
>>83532578
how is he supposed to find where/when the angels sent the victims?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhoXVA56Fo

>we didn't have anything even remotely close to this in the moffat's run
>>
File: truth monk.jpg (48KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
truth monk.jpg
48KB, 570x380px
The E-Space trilogy did more than this monk trilogy.
>>
File: RaptureWestworld_FEAT.jpg (496KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
RaptureWestworld_FEAT.jpg
496KB, 970x545px
>>83532472
>>83532415

I've always wanted to see a medium budget Doctor Who mini-series try to create it's own cool little world like Bioshock or something Douglas Adamsian.

Imagine a well made PG13 Doctor Who movie about Gallifrey, or the Doctor vs the Master on a galactic scale.

I just want to see the Doctor in a stylish production. Imagine if the franchise tried to do something genuinely good/interesting/compelling?
>>
this 3 parter was really weirdly paced

extremis was a completely pointless episode that affected the rest of the arc in *literally no way at all* (missy stuff aside, but that could easily have been slotted into another ep)

meanwhile this one obviously needed 2 parts to actually develop and make us genuinely care about this 1984 world the monks invented, drag out the evil doc thing etc

even then the usual terrible characterisation and wooden acting would've ruined it but FUCK ME there is just no tension at all in who anymore. moff bores you to death with unnecessary setup and then makes a beeline for a resolution in the most unconvincing, rushed manner possible. what a hack he's become
>>
>>83532750
That's true. Pyramid bored me to death.
>>
>>83532784
>I just want to see the Doctor in a stylish production
Anon... that was already one of the moffat values. his RTD era episodes were kino, not fartno or slabno
>>
File: hints.jpg (24KB, 645x128px) Image search: [Google]
hints.jpg
24KB, 645x128px
No TARDIS
>>
>>83532814
He's tired m8. He wants off this wild ride. I honestly am scared for Capaldi's final episode.
>>
>>
I miss RTD and I'm not ashamed of it.
>>
At this point I've come to wonder had Capaldi stayed on for Chibnall, he would have had better scripts than whatever that godawful shit is.
>>
>>83532846
>He's tired m8.
Not just that. Reminder that he literally rewrote Harness' script for Pyramid on his mother's deathbed.

He probably gives no fucks about this job anymore.
>>
>>83532752
Didn't he see Amy's and Rory's grave or do I remember wrong? I was just wondering why he didn't just go back and find them because he'd get a good estimate for where they'd be
>>
>>83532886
okay but.
you should be
>>
>>83532864
source
>>
>>83532753
i think heaven sent is close

episodes like that and family of blood are why i sit through shit like this week's ep week in, week out. because just occasionally who is capable of being utterly sublime television. but it's getting increasingly rare. i think moffat used to write some of the best eps and I love series 5, but he is just totally spent creatively. hopefully chibbers will breathe new life into the show
>>
>>83532904
But The Pilot was pretty good. Wasnt it?
>>
>>83532828
It may be in high def but it sure ain't stylish, at least in all the ways that matter.

Genesis of the Daleks is more stylish that Series 10.
>>
File: 1485568754460.gif (2MB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
1485568754460.gif
2MB, 268x268px
>>83532846
>World Enough and Time
Not even a coherent episode title
>The Doctor Falls
mfw
>>
Did this really deserve to be a three parter
>>
I honestly am willing to give Chibnall his chance. I just hope it will feel different than whatever godawful shite we've had to put up with since Series 9.
>>
Why do people watch this doctor who? It's literally deus ex machina: the show
>>
>>83532983
No
Edge, answer me, how did this happen that villains in THREE parter were less developed than most of the villains introduced in two-parters?
>>
>>83532983

lol no
>>
>>83532935
it was okay, mainly for the sense of new possibilities and freshness

shame it didn't live up to that
>>
>>83533017
>how did this happen that villains in THREE parter were less developed than most of the villains introduced in two-parters
They were less developed than the fucking Abzorbaloff.
>>
>>83532983
it didn't even deserve to be a 1 parter

monks are WOAT

reminder that they literally didn't even do anything in this ep. not one fucking thing. not a single fucking line.

no side characters either ofc. didn't even like the midget but once upon a time they would've developed her, shown us how she handled the monk world etc. so we might actually give a fuck

this show has gone of the deep end
>>
>>83532983
Deserve? Maybe. Was it executed well? No, not at all.
>>
>>83532970
>Not even a coherent episode title
It's from a poem
>>
Didn't Moffat say people call them the monks but it's not their real name? Does that mean they'll come back?
>>
What if the Monks were a degenerated Silence?
>>
This is what happens when people just stop saying no.

>>83533075
Missy was pretty clear when she said if they lose they just chalk it up to experience and move to another planet, so hopefully not.
>>
What's your favourite episode genre, /who/?
>>
Why is their fake news machine powered by consent?
>>
>>83533123
>the Doctor literally doesn't even try to stop them from conquering another planet
What the actual fuck?
>>
>>83533159
Are you trying to make sense out of this episode?
>>
>>83533058
I hope they actually do something with that.
>>
also obviously the best way to tell this story would've been to do the amnesia schtick - start with the monk world and evil doctor have bill slowly remember/ piece together what happened. fucking storytelling 101. then maybe it might have actually been vaguely intriguing.

this 3 parter was literally "oh, the last 50 minutes were pointless" -> "oh, something might happen next week" -> "oh, the doctor is evi- never mind, that's over"
>>
reminder Bill meets zulu soldiers next week
>>
Why did the Monks make everyone wear blue overalls?
>>
>>83533157
s10e11
>>
>weeks ago /who/ was screeching at anyone who dared criticize Series 10 and calling it best NuWho

>/who/ now hates Series 10 and Moffat more than ever

LMAO

Truth Monks exposed Moffat
>>
>>83533177

I'm trying to salvage it in my head
>>
>>83533157
Base under siege and big planetary zipper.
>>
>>83533123
Yet they never learn that they ought to switch from a centralised to a distributed system of mind control
>>
>>83533177
It's easier to rape someone if he doesn't fight and opens his little tight butthole for you

(but it's less fun)
>>
Seeds of Doom is so good. Why haven't you watched it?
>>
>>83528832
/thread
>>
>>83533236
On the contrary, their first planet probably only had one statue.
>>
>>83533279
I don't care about oldwho I'm not a nerd
>>
Who did Doctor Who better?

Foreman or Moffat (Series 10)
>>
I haven't felt this insulted by a Moffat era story since Hell Bent. Maybe even Let's Kill Hitler/ Wedding of River Song. And even those at least were attached to the brilliant Heaven Sent and the moderately entertaining/ fun Good Man Goes to War. This is just irredeemable, boring, underdeveloped trash.
>>
>>83533191
You know about Mao's pajamas? It's not a very subtle reference.
>>
>>83528832
It's annoying that they keep doing it but I actually like how it was handled this time. The Monks couldn't corrupt sentimental memories. That makes sense to me.
>>
>>83533369
But why would The Monks give a fuck?
>>
File: MEDIOCRE 3.jpg (24KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
MEDIOCRE 3.jpg
24KB, 320x320px
Told you faggots this series would be pic related
>>
>>83533388

The way you explained this is 100% better than how it went down in the show
>>
guys guys guys

neon visual found the secret page about him on the wiki and is doing a cease and desist

not even memeing

http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/ShinyImages
>>
>>83533388
So they overtook a planet with the most sentimental people in the universe on it?
>>
>Nothing from Gareth

Is this death?
>>
>>83533045
I wish there was more Erica
>>
File: 1398562014947.gif (499KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1398562014947.gif
499KB, 500x275px
>>83533294
>>
>>83533480
aren't you dead already tom?
>>
>>83533469
Missy explained it best, if they fuck up they just take it as a learning experience and move on to the next. They aren't perfect, they don't really expect much in the way of resistance.
>>
>>83533496
you go too far anon
>>
>>83533388
On paper it makes sense. CGI mum + the Doctor's lukewarm speech is a very embarrassing display. And the weight of such in general is greatly underplayed when the villains are as compelling as actual motionless corpses.
>>
I will be thoroughly disappointed if Kris Marshall isn't the thirteenth Doctor
>>
>>83533467
WIKI DELETION IS REAL
>>
ladz do you think moff knows this was shit?

and are we blaming him for this or whithouse? cause honestly i've enjoyed all of whithouse's eps in the past a fair amount and can't help but think moff just handed him this shite and there was nothing he could do to save it
>>
>>83533467
This reminds me. Can someone unlock the NeonVisual page? It's very poorly written, the site is parody yet that page reads like a real wiki-entry. It's not appropriate for the wiki and needs to be fixed or deleted, neonvisual's feelings be damned.
>>
>>83533677
It's his last season. He's clearly stopped giving a shit.
>>
>tfw big finish will redeem the Monks
>>
>>83533677
to be fair moffat was probably too busy mourning the loss of his mum to write a proper story
>>
File: whygiveup.jpg (29KB, 334x372px) Image search: [Google]
whygiveup.jpg
29KB, 334x372px
>>83531420

>Capaldi Doc starts to panic and scream when he's locked in the room alone with a Dalek.
>He laughs and mocks it when he realises it has no power.

I'll never get to see this. Instead any Capaldi v Dalek scene will just be him waving his magic sonic wand and blowing them all up and then putting his sunglasses on and playing electric guitar.
>>
>>83534221
I don't remember that scene in Into the Dalek
>>
...How was he able to fake the start of a regeneration?
>>
>>83534340
Time Lords can voluntarily start a regeneration with no injuries, he just started one but cut it off before the change.
>>
>>83534340
He was a Tesselecta the whole time!
>>
>>83534357
Have we seen this in the show before? I honestly can't remember.
>>
>>83534357
>>83534398
Romana I guess
>>
>>83534340
Bill doesn't even know about regeneration at this point.
>>
even Capaldi was bad in this one
>>
>>83534398
Technically Romana. If not, Azmael in The Twin Dilemma.
>>
>>83534529
Seemed like more of a writing issue.
>>
>>83534428
>>83534548
Oh word, I didn't know
>>
The Pilot 6.5
Smile 6
Thin Ice 5
Knock Knock 7
Oxygen 8
Extremis 7.5
The Pyramid at the End of the Earth 6
The lie of the land 4

>"this is not a trick" (but it actually is ahah XD)
>Moffat's "pointless scene exclusively shot to be put in the trailer"™
>we still don't know shit about the monks
>muh power of love
>laziest final plot twist ever
>Bill narrating
>>
>>83534703
He did that narrating shit in Hell Bent too
>>
>>83534568
yeah the Doctor was written really poorly but usually Capaldi is interesting and magnetic despite the material. from the fake regen on it seemed he wasn't giving much in his performance.
>>
>>83534398
Romana regenerated a lot for the hell of it, without changing we've seen 11 and River use regeneration energy to heal each other, 12 started using regeneration energy in Davros Apprentice.
>>
IT'S ME
NARDY
>>
The fake regeneration scene would have made a GOAT actual regeneration. The music was great too.

But it just fucked me off when it was such a dumb fake out moment.
>>
>>83534794
Not much you can do to save a bad script when you're constantly having to go out of character. At least in the first series he seemed to just be doing whatever until they managed to find out what to do with him.
>>
>>83534985
This. It was very powerful for a mere joke. We can only hope the actual regen is better.
>>
Thank god that shits over with. Hope we can get back to good episodes now
>>
So how did the simulation ultimately tie into the Monk's plans?

Nothing that seems to have happened had anything to do with it besides the virus getting out. Besides that they never seemed to know ahead of time what anyone was gonna be doing. Not even when the Doctor was actively going to try to prevent the virus from getting out which you think they would've simulated.
>>
>starts out looking GOAT and then faked out
Fucking
>>
>>83534985

Yeah that would have been good. Then there would be a whole plot of bill trying to trust the new one
>>
>8 (EIGHT) episodes in
>still no Simm

I've literally written and printed by letter of complaint to the BBC. This is absolutely ridiculous, I tell you. I pay money every fucking month to them to give me quality content, and to not expect to be flat out LIED to in trailers to promote one of their products. I was told that John Simm would be in Series 10, and it has been two months without him showing up. I hope you will all join me in writing a letter of complaint. This cannot be allowed to happen. This is false advertisement and abuse of the coming soon trailer function. This is a new low for Moffat, to advertise something in a trailer perhaps over 2 MONTHS before it actually happens to pull in viewers. I'm actually appalled at this and very, very disappointed in the BBC.
>>
IT'S ME
NARDY
>>
>>>/reddit/
>>
This whole entire episode is a Black Mirror rip off? Really?
>>
File: ANGERY.jpg (99KB, 536x628px) Image search: [Google]
ANGERY.jpg
99KB, 536x628px
WHAT IS WITH THIS STUPID SHOW

WHY CAN'T IT JUST BE GOOD CONSISTENTLY

RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Neon Visual is trying to delete the Wiki.

Keep an eye out for suspicious edits or reports to the Wikia network staff that may result in, say, editors and admins being banned for locking the page and kicking out someone claiming to be NeonVisual.
>>
>>83535238
Because of the fucking stupid writing style. Having one head writer in charge of everything isn't really working
>>
>>83535275
Chibbs will save us.
>>
NEW
>>83535280
>>83535280
>>83535280
>>
Why the fuck was the Doctor so confused about how the Monks were controlling the world? Something in the water? really?

He's literally talking to someone he's faced and taken down who was mind controlling a whole planet and made a police state with false memories with nigh on worship and fear

Satellites to beam a psychic signal with himself as the transmitter. Monks use statues to beam a signal with Bill as the transmitter.
>>
File: 1438831969201.jpg (53KB, 335x351px) Image search: [Google]
1438831969201.jpg
53KB, 335x351px
>>83535258
Ah fuck not again, gimme a sec
>>
>>83533388
Of course the main issue with that is that some of the events the monks are taking credit for must have some kind of sentimentality for people, given that they're dealing with both contemporary and historical events.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.