[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 40

Party Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55218180

Share some stories of the most successful adventuring party that you've been a part of.
>>
I'm about to start a game and the party is currently Monk, Cleric (Tempest) and Paladin. What would be a good class to take to balance the party out? Everybody else is pretty much exclusively a melee hitter.
>>
Unfortunately none of my games ever got past level 5 because the DM kept restarting the campaign because he didn't like his setting.
>>
>>55223906

Wizard or Bard for control/buffing

You could potentially be a twin-haste bot and play sorc, but why waste time?
>>
File: Dungeon plan.png (16KB, 587x573px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon plan.png
16KB, 587x573px
Your are a level 4 party of four people. How do you handle this situation?
>>
>>55224163
what's the classes of the party? alternatively, don't go down the rape tunnel.
>>
>>55223746
Good spells for a Theurgy Wizard of the Life Domain? Going for mostly support and healing. Starting at level 5.
>>
Is there an UA coming out today?
>>
>>55224163
Roper is a large creature, if it downsizes itself to stand in a 5x5 square it attacks with disadvantage and it is attack with advantage.

Easy peasy.
>>
File: Aasimar.jpg (144KB, 400x514px) Image search: [Google]
Aasimar.jpg
144KB, 400x514px
>>55223746
a game I'm running has 3 warlock aasimar in it.
they all picked independently and just happened to get the same thing.

first is a warlock of the undying protector
second is a warlock of the celestial scourge
and the last is a warlock of the great old one fallen

the first was born on mt Celestia, the second was a virgin birth and the third came from a house of celestial that had forgotten their heritage and thought they were human.

are there any cool things I can do with this. throw me some ideas.
>>
If a character accidentally attunes to two Berserker weapons, what does it mean for the disadvantage rolls?
>>
>>55224570
>their patrons all hate each other and actively demand that their warlocks fight to the death
>do a legit planescape campaign
>>
I'm writing a adventure that the characters wake up without any memories of their past, I'll random sort 1 memory for each of them up in the start, I just created 3 memories so far, could you guys give some tips for the other 3?

1 - "You're evil and you're trying to set free the Vampire Lord that was imprisioned here, for that you must bring these 5 adventurer's alive to the Vampire Chamber and use them has a sacrifice to break the seal that imprision the vampire here"

2 - "You wake up with only one memory of your past, before you guys past out you figured out that someone here is evil and is trying to do something against the rest of you"

3 - "You wake up with only one memory of your past, you're here to defeat a Vampire Lord that is trying to get free of its prison".

Need 3 more.
>>
>>55224897
You want to make sure all these memories intertwine, so that the party stays together. Here are some ideas:
- "You wake up with only one memory of your past, you're here to seal the Vampire Lord permanently, though it will require the sacrifice of 3 souls.

- "You wake without memory of your past, but this place seems strangely familiar to you. You seem to know how to navigate this place.

- "You wake up, with the only thing you remember is that you were a Monster Hunter.
>>
>>55224999
Thanks anon.
>>
File: battlebagpipes.jpg (26KB, 309x444px) Image search: [Google]
battlebagpipes.jpg
26KB, 309x444px
What's the best way to do a Dwarven Bard (with axe and bagpipes)?
>>
How has this general's existence changed your life?
>>
>>55225089
Well dwarves get battleaxe proficiency for free don't they?
So... Make a dwarf bard. Pick bagpipes for one of your instruments...
Otherwise it all depends how you wanna play it, I guess. Mountain Dwarf'll get you free medium armor if you wanna go Lore Bard without bad AC, or you can go Hill Dwarf Valor Bard....
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1000x1442px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1000x1442px
I need a couple ideas to throw to my DM on why the Tabaxi are fleeing Maztica to the Sword Coast, any ideas?
>>
>>55225089

Well you take a dwarf, make him a bard, give him an axe and some bagpipes and done.
>>
>>55224897
"You wake up with only one memory of your past, your Vampire Lord asked for you to bring 5 sacrifices for him, if you brink less than 5, you're becoming a sacrifice too"
>>
>>55225233
Cool, that would be good for the evil character, however I want only one evil character at this one shot.
>>
>>55225247
Oh shit, my bad, didn't read the first one correctly
>>
>>55225160
I haven't had much experience with the new colleges, are they any good? And what about multiclassing, eg. Cleric 1/Bard X for the armor?
>>
what's the best primal path for a barbarian?
>>
>>55225663
Totem (bear) is pretty damn good, and Storm Herald is nice if you want something different.

Berserker sucks.
>>
>>55224163
I go home and be a family man.
>>
Player asked me if he can change one of the aspects of his backstory that his mom who was dead this whole time is actually alive and well and she is now secretly plotting the take over of a coastal region of cities.

I mean, yeah it's their character but I feel like something like THAT should be something the DM should govern, right? I mean it's no different from the player deciding the Black Spider turns out to be their long lost dad midway in.
>>
>>55225888

Anyone can plot, it depends whether or not she has a chance in hell of succeeding.
>>
File: 1503953325476.png (108KB, 194x192px) Image search: [Google]
1503953325476.png
108KB, 194x192px
>use 5etools reference
>Geas can be used by Arcane Trickster

Am I missing something?
>>
>>55225519
I don't know them well either.

But going by multiclassing rules, I don't think you gain heavy armor proficiency from going Cleric.
You can get it at 3rd level as a valor bard, or for free by being a Mountain Dwarf, so it's not really a thing you need to multiclass or dive into feats to gain.
>>
How would I best go about playing a Pyromancer in vein of the dark souls style? (Medium/light armor, axe + shield, blasting magic)

I'd love to sling spells but I don't like the idea of just sitting in back being artillery the whole fight. I'd like to contribute frontlines and have stuff to do outside of burning spell slots.
>>
Why are there so few D&D computer games now?
>>
>>55225968
Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>55225888
Depends on how the table rolls it. My players in my table for example loves a mystery to their backstories for them to solve so while they give me a basic idea of their characters, they trust me I can spruce something about what happened to their missing father, or the real truth about the incident x years ago, etc. as I tie it to the campaign. That said, it's a dangerous game cause sometimes you might go full retard with the twists that it might annoy the players but I play safe with the mysteries and give satisfying conclusions for them. I guess it's about trust and I've played with my table for years enough that we have a PC and GM trust.
>>
>>55225913
That reference puts any wizard enchantment spells on the arcane trickster list, even if above 4th level.

Pretty dumb.
>>
>>55225968
Pyromancer sorcerer (from one if the planeshifts) or light cleric. If the former, consider mountain dwarf for medium armor proficience.
>>
>>55224163
You didn't set specific party comp so i'm picking my own.

Battle Master Archer, any sensible Warlock and the rest don't matter.

Roper is a large creature so its squeezing inside a 5x5 hallway, its got disadvantage and moves half speed. Slowly walk backwards shooting it with arrows and Eldritch Blast with advantage until it dies.
>>
>>55226185
Miniature Roper

Your move anon.
>>
>>55226185
>lowly walk backwards shooting it with arrows and Eldritch Blast with advantage until it dies.
How? There's a sharp turn, and roper is obviously not going anywhere.
>>
>>55224163
4 druids
wildshape into 4 diminutive spiders
skitter beyond tunnel
>>
Any ideas for what to add to Cragmaw Castle to make it more difficult/interesting for a 5 person party of level 3 characters?

I was thinking maybe something like a hobgoblin revolt, or more captured monsters, or just more traps
>>
>>55226404
Add a shady political envoy that happens to visit at the same time as the characters and tie them in somewhere.
>>
>Every race gets a free feat at Creation
>Human gets +2/+1 to any stats, human determination, and 2 free skill proficiencies
Bad idea, or workable?
>>
>>55226443
>human determination
???
>>
>>55226481
It's a UA racial feat.
>>
>>55226017
because the genre was dead until DivOS and PoE revived it.
With Obsidian, and all their teams (~170 people) are busy with projects, so they actually have to reject offers.

Feargus still says he keeps in contact with Wizards of the Coast though, so who knows. Maybe a D&D 5E game might happen, just not anytime soon.
>>
One of my players wants to play a minotaur, any ideas for how they can fit into a standard fantasy world?
>>
>>55226515
Are you giving them that feat on top of the feat every other race gets? If not then you're shafting humans.
>>
>>55226443
I like it
>>
>>55226571
Pretty sure they get Human Determination on top of the free feat.
>>
>>55226561
Depends on how minotaurs as a race exist in your game in the first place.
>>
>>55226443
do humans get an extra feat on top of determination? do they get the ASI with human determination? if yes to all of these, humans can potentially get +2/+3 or +2/+1/+1/+1 which is nuts
>>
>>55226443
No. Make humans stand out as the vanilla variant human does.
>>
>>55226610
Aren't you the one posing the idea?
>>
>>55226571
>Humans get +2/+1, human determination and an extra feat, also 2 skills
I think isn't that bad. Basically Humans get +2/+1/+1 and advantage to 1 roll per short rest and 2 skills. That's better than default human by far.
>>
>>55226621
>stand out
you mean completely fucking boring
>>
>>55226622
Nope.
>>
File: mouser.jpg (65KB, 475x675px) Image search: [Google]
mouser.jpg
65KB, 475x675px
>>55225663
If you want to play Fafhrd, the Brobarian whose best friend is The Gray Mouser (i.e. a Rogue, and specifically but not by necessity an Arcane Trickster), then you play a Wolf Totem Barbarian. Rogues love Wolf Barbarians.

>>55225968
>I'd love to sling spells but I don't like the idea of just sitting in back being artillery the whole fight.
Sorry dude, you pretty much have to pick one thing to be the way you contribute to combat. Spells or hitting. Pick >>55226020 if you want a little bit of magic to accent your hitting, pick a Bladesinger if you want a little hitting to accent your magic, but you WILL end up with one of those things as your primary role. It's just the way the game works. Try to hybridise and you just end up mediocre at two things at the same time.
>>
>>55226628
No it isn't if you're locked in to one feat and only get that one feat.
That's essentially locking you into human determination for 1 ASI and a skill. I'd rather have feat freedom than +1 ASI and a skill.
>>
>>55226685
Dude, you get also another feat like every other race, can't you read?
>>
>>55226693
The way it reads it could be that every race except human gets a free feat, being that human is the only race that gets a free feat to begin with and most people who adjust human do it because they think "it's too good".
>>
>>55223746
Christ what an ugly picture.
>>
>>55226712
>The way it reads it could be that every race except human gets a free feat
Only if you assume humans aren't a race, because it clearly says "every race gets a free feat at char gen"

But lets play it your way, if humans are stuck with human determination only, yes, is crap. If they have human determination and another feat like everybody else, is ok for me.
>>
>>55226443
>human determination
-_- ?

Human Determination
Prerequisite: Human
You are filled with a determination that can
draw the unreachable within your reach. You
gain the following benefits:
• Increase one ability score of your choice by 1,
to a maximum of 20.
• When you make an attack roll, an ability check,
or a saving throw, you can do so with
advantage. Once you use this ability, you can’t
use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

>filled with a determination

Yep, definitely -_-
>>
There's a tabletop con happening locally, but the only tables left are for tiers 2 and up.

Is it really in super bad taste to roll up a character that's level whatever, so I can play, or do they have to organically be level 5+?
>>
>>55226744
>reddit spacing
>-_-
kys you're self
>>
File: intitiativetrash.png (265KB, 680x694px) Image search: [Google]
intitiativetrash.png
265KB, 680x694px
>>55226744
>"-_-"
>reddit spacing
>>
>>55226732
No - there's a thing called historical context, wherein everybody and their cousin only ever means to nerf humans in their games.

Humans suck if they only get HD. They're better than most races (which is the case normally) if they get both.
>>
>>55224507
It only ever comes out on Monday. If it cannot be released on a Monday due to a holiday, it comes out next monday.
>>
>>55226768
>>55226794
Can someone explain this newfag meme?

What's the difference between reddit spacing and just making a new paragraph?
>>
>>55226814

I don't know what reddit spacing is, but I do know that those two guys are faggots.
>>
>>55226806
What holiday is today?
>>
Played my first ever session on Saturday with a load of close friends (we've all known each other over 10 years and play 40k together weekly for over 4 years). How do I go about making them engage with each other more? I play a pretty stereotypical barbarian ex raider type who has high charisma from intimidating people but is unintelligent so I keep refraining from making suggestions in character like "let's search the dead" or "I think we should track down the rest of the goblins". When I persuaded one of the characters to go searching and the DM said I'd completely convinced him and he was happy, he threw a strop.

Also they just vote out of character what we do rather than as their character would do, and when I make suggestions based on my character they just veto it unless I act out then don't do anything to stop me.
>>
>>55225967
Several clerics domains give it as a first level feature, so, yes, you absolutely can get it from multi-classing cleric.
>>
>>55226824
Labor day.
>>
>>55223910
> it's my spirit brother

After about the 4th time of him doing that and switching from pathfinder to dnd 3.5 and back and forth, I've stopped humoring him and responding.
>>
>>55223746
Gosh, such an awful art
>>
Anon who was musing about classes being able to crib class features here, I was thinking of giving hexblade a go. Should this be written as a class or archetype?
>>
>>55224163
Shoot it with bows while backing up.
This foils 90% of single monster encounters, by the way.
>>
>>55226443
Better idea: remove humans.
>>
>>55227155
>furfag special snowflake has such a hardon for dragonborn and tieflings that he hates humans
what's it like being a degenerate?
>>
File: phone.jpg (17KB, 305x249px) Image search: [Google]
phone.jpg
17KB, 305x249px
>>55223746
anyone know of some cool aarakocra / bird people minis?
>>
>>55226820
>practices reddit spacing
>"I don't know what reddit spacing is"
(you)
>>
>>55227171
Neither exists in my current setting and I've never had someone play one in any of my games, either when I'm DMing or when I'm a player. I just don't have those kinds of friends.
>>
>>55227227

I don't practice anything? I'm just typing normally? But whatever gets your rocks off man.
>>
Is there a Binder equivalent for 5e? If not, any homebrew?
>>
What do you think about college of swords bards?
>>
>>55227436
I feel like it's not very bardic.
>>
File: 1394711459363.jpg (343KB, 1241x900px) Image search: [Google]
1394711459363.jpg
343KB, 1241x900px
>>55227363
Technically, Warlock.

I'd kill a motherfucker for a real 5e Binder though.
>>
>>55226057

It means they can use scrolls above forth level.
>>
File: 1502230994715.gif (426KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
1502230994715.gif
426KB, 250x232px
>>55227517
I'd kill a motherfucker to mount that qt
>>
File: Tulio_smug.sized.jpg (30KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Tulio_smug.sized.jpg
30KB, 640x360px
>>55227605
You cheeky fucker!
>>
>>55227490
I can't think of why you would want to take dual wielding instead of duelist.
And yeah, it feels like you would be more prone to using your bardic inspiration for yourself than for you team...
>>
>>55227133
They already did that one in an UA.
>>
File: kaiki speechless.gif (342KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
kaiki speechless.gif
342KB, 800x450px
>playing as a supporty warlock
>crowd control with repelling blast, use pact magic and invocations for out of combat stuff, and some heals from life cleric dip
>not optimal, but fun
>dm has a houserule that short rests are 15 minutes
>not sure why but I won't argue, this gives me a nice buff
>dm also decides to houserule that concentration on buffs shifts from the caster to the recipient of a buff in the middle of the campaign
>wat
>invisibility is a concentration spell with 1 hour duration
>turn 2 people invisible, chill for 15 minutes, repeat again so the whole party has invisibility for 30 minutes to 1 hour
>and we're still level 6, we haven't even gotten to the better buffs in the game
>explain to the dm that these two houserules together make my character extremely abusable
>he's okay with it
>>
>>55226852
I'm not sure I get it, are you rolling for PC interaction?

About voting OOC, I think your group has reached a consensus to not really put an effort in RP, so trying to do it regardless will only bring suffering. The best option right now is probably to go with the grain and hope it gets better with time.

Lastly, I'd prefer someone acting against their stats (which even if it did matter, you aren't doing it, as CHA is the stat for social interaction) and playing an actual character rather than a boring barely-there "me be dumb barbarian" stereotype.
>>
>>55227824
Take it. Honestly, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
>>
>>55226852
>rolling Persuasion against other players

kill thyself and your dm
>>
>>55224163
Flaming Sphere
Done.
>>
>>55227155
Why? What are advantages of having no humans in your setting?
>>
>>55223746
Are lewdgames shit?
>>
>>55227824
That abuse only becomes a problem if people object; if people are gravy, then have some fun.
>>
>>55228192
No humans.
>>
>>55227155
>forcing other players to play a non-human race

for what purpose
>>
>>55228256
But then you have no humans in setting!
>>
>>55227976

Is it frowned upon? I don't see why it would be.
>>
>>55228506
So what's the problem?
>>
>>55228507
It takes away player agency.
If everyone in the group is cool with it, that's one thing. Often though you get into that guy territory when you start rolling persuasion on other characters or using mind control magics like suggestion.
>>
>>55228507
>I roll persuasion to convince you to give me all of the loot
>ha ha I rolled a 20 you can't say no now
>>
>>55228459
>playing a fantasy game with ripped Barbarians and lightning-hurling Wizards, slavering goblins, dwarves, orcs, and giant tree monsters everywhere
>play a human burger flipper from Minnesota working towards getting his GED
>>
>>55227838

Yeah I'm rolling against my team to influence our course of action. I don't think they've decided against it, more that they haven't tried or been in the situation before. They're more concerned with resting to regain spells/health than if it makes sense (asking to sleep outside the boss room for instance) and having to be reminded constantly that just because the dwarf at the front can see the gobbos the dude at the back can't, and they don't shout out to warn them etc.
>>
>>55228585
>can't roleplay unless he's playing a snowflake race
>>
>>55228561

I wouldn't do that cuz I'm not a dick. The rogue already tried to persuade us to let him carry all the treasure and the failed his test. My persuasion check was to convince people we should check for the 2 people dragged away rather than just walking to town with the cart; I wanted to actually go on the quest and my character would want to search the area after fighting gobbos. It was 2 for, 2 against, 2 indifferent so I convinced the against guy convincing the party.
>>
>>55228627
Variant Human IS the snowflake race though
>>
>>55228658
Imagine being retarded enough to actually believe this
>>
>>55228551

Yeah I get that, but I think provided the DM doesn't allow it for stupid shit (which he hasn't thus far) we'll be fine
>>
>>55227227
>everything I don't like is reddit
ebin meme friendo :^)
>>
>>55228668

Imagine being enough of a fucking idiot to sincerely believe it isn't. Lucky for us you're just being ironic
>>
>>55228627
>dwarves are snowflakes
>>
File: Human Wild Wizard.jpg (62KB, 564x750px) Image search: [Google]
Human Wild Wizard.jpg
62KB, 564x750px
>>55228658
>t. pathfinder kitsune samurai/hooker multiclass
you probably play a catgirl too. Furries not welcome.
>>
>>55228684
To be fair, people who space like that are fucking monsters. Except >>55228692 in this one instance because I agree with him about V. Humans being trash.
>>
>>55228692
>reddit spacing
ebin meme friendo XD
>>
>>55228692
>humans, the only humanoids who actually exist in reality, and which are far and away the most populous and neutrally regarded by all the other races, are special snowflakes
brilliant
u rly
maed
me thnk
>>
File: 5e CG - The Race; The Movie.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e CG - The Race; The Movie.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>55228721
git gud
>>
>>55228722
Why? Because it isn't your extra unique and special elf boyfriend?
>>
>>55228730
Less thinking, more reading. He said "Variant Human".
Variant Humans are trash because everyone and their brother's gotta play them for being one of the statistically most viable races due to their easy stat allocation and powerful free feat. Remove Variant Human and you instantly see more variety in builds (and roleplay), as well as general play balance.
>>
>>55228730
The fact that they, as a race, have no defining characteristics allows each individual to stand out more. This is second grade level comprehension material, m8.

But also your precious two-feats-by-level-4 horseshit is as snowflake as it gets
>>
>>55228746
Saged, reported, called the cops
>>
>>55228776
>The fact that they, as a race, have no defining characteristics allows each individual to stand out more
Except it doesn't, because humans are the norm. The norm of the norm. The absolute most normie one can be. Being normie is the opposite of snowflake-ism.
>>
how do i play a barb with 5 int and 13 wis?
is it just lack of learned smarts but good with intuition and gut feeling? i'd rather not play as a complete retard
>>
>>55228863

You're playing a complete retard.
>>
>>55228863
You're not obligated to roleplay ability scores.
Play how you want.
>>
>>55228863
well i could also swap that 5 with the 9 in my charisma
>>
>>55228863
How do you even get 5 on a stat?
>>
>>55228816
Humans are. Variant Humans aren't.
>a totally unremarkable schoolboy stands before you with averages in all his stats but hes not ugly hes just unremarkable and he'll totally get the female lead by the end of the book and he's as normal as can possibly be and maybe a little bullied in class but again hes totally normal EXCEPT FOR BEING A SKILLED SHARPSHOOTER WHO CAN PUT ARROWS IN DISTANT TARGETS THROUGH COVER AND ABSOLUTELY EXPLODE THEM
>>
First time DM here. Can you guys give me a hand?

I have an idea for a plot: Darklings want to bring the world eternal night so everyone can experience living in darkness like they have to.

Now, I don't really know how to make it into an adventure.
First of all, how would the Darklings accomplish their goal?

The players will be starting at 1st level, and at a snowbound land. Any help you guys can give me will be extremely appreciated.
>>
>>55228967
Rolled for it, rolled a 3 and three 1s, dropped the lowest so I ended up with 5
Honestly the rest of my stats were amazing: 16, 15, 14, 13, 9, and 5 so I wasn't really bitching
>>
>>55228979
Being good at [thing] makes a person a snowflake?
Most people are good at SOME [thing] - not being good at anything is more of a break with the norm, and thus snowflakey. Do you suck at everything you do bro?
>>
>>55228863
>not playing like "Intelligence" is really "Arcane Caster Power" and says fuck-all about your ability to talk gud
Physical stats influence what you can do, not what you can say or how you can act. Physical stats are also, obviously, completely separate from you as a player. But an 18 Int Wizard being played by someone with the equivalent of 8 Int IRL is never going to wow people at the table or come up with the kinds of plans or solutions that his character, theoretically, should be able to. Druids, Monks, and Clerics still do stupid shit despite their great "common sense" stat. So the best thing to do is to divorce those stats from personality and mental ability and view them purely through the lens of Magical Power, the way that all the physical stats are.
>>
>>55227815
I meant using the EK chassis with access to the warlock spell list and possibly also the smites.
>>
File: Forrest Gump.jpg (293KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Forrest Gump.jpg
293KB, 1920x1080px
>>55228863
Pic related...just replace wide-eyed wonder with bloodlust.

>>55228989
As the DM, you are not as restricted by the rules as the pcs are, particularly when it comes to spells, and especially when it comes to world-ending spells. Maybe, through their obsession with their fey history, they discovered a mcguffin spell of the same Fey Lord who cursed them that, when cast on something, forces it to envelop in darkness or else wither and die. With the doomsday spell beneath their cloaks, they decided to cast it on the only true target: the sun.
>>
>>55228989
They reawaken Dendar the Night Serpent to swallow the sun for the second (third?) time.
>>
Newish DM here looking for some opinions.

I just got done running my first ever campaign with friends, we did Phandelver. Now that it's over I'm thinking about either homebrewing a setting for trying one that isn't Forgotten Realms.

How do you guys feel about the Forgotten Realms setting? After running the module I felt like it did it's job, but the way it handles magic in relation to the world seemed to flip-flop between too fantastic and not fantastic enough.
It felt like the world couldn't decide whether magic was still a big deal or just another part of mundane life.

Interested to see what you guys think.
>>
So, I'm DMing Princes of the Apocalypse. Party is three haunted keeps down, and I'd done fairly good leading them away from the dungeons of imminent death right beneath them, but they managed to explore to the entrance of the Temple of Black Earth through the lower levels of the Sacred Stone Monastery. They were not ready for it. They managed to survive the gargoyles, and poor positioning on my part had the hobgoblins in the next room all die to a single AOE spell, so I brought in a reinforcement burrowshark to convince them to leave. They barely scraped through the fight and got the message, hightailing it out of there.

I'm mostly just wondering if anyone else had been in a similar situation and how you guys handled it. They were level 5, party of four: Barb, pally, druid and cleric (though cleric was absent that session).
>>
So, I take it that UA got delayed by a day due to the holiday in the U.S. right now?
>>
>>55229184

I'm willing to bet it comes out next Monday rather than tomorrow.
>>
>>55229184
>delayed by a day
Delayed by a week
>>
File: 1365721861496.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1365721861496.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>55223746
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jaIfz5Fjjw
>one of the surrogate characters for ToA is a green grung
>reverse engineering seemingly gives it +2 dex, +1 con, and athletics
>probably more frog stuff from the volo's guide

oh my dick if they make them playable like they did with genasi, I WANT MY BATTLETOADS
>>
>>55229115
Fuck whatever the written stuff flipflops on, you're the DM, you choose how things work. You don't have to go 1:1 of whatever the book or supplementary information says. You can take bits and pieces from Forgotten Realms and mash it with your own homebrew and sprinkle in shit from another official setting.

As long as you keep your in world logic consistent, do what you want, and what your group is interested in.
>>
>>55229231
Are grungs those cute, xenophobic frogs from VGM?
>>
>>55229184
It only comes out on Mondays. If it cant be released on the scheduled Monday because of a holiday, its released the following Monday.

Yes, this is fucking stupid.
>>
Why grungs instead of bullywugs?
>>
>>55229115
Forgotten Realms is what you make of it. You're gonna get a lot of faggots replying about how stale, samey, and retready it is, but fucking none of them could name more than ten countries or cultures without looking them up, couldn't tell you the order of past civilizations or their geographic locations (you know, the "FORGOTTEN REALMS" part), or anything but the most basic details of a setting they've spent so much time in but never bothered to learn about. They're all former 3aboos (notable for having shittier fluff books than 2E) and/or PC gamers whose main introduction to the setting focus on some of the dullest areas of the setting and do remarkably little exploration and world-building.

If you want something from Forgotten Realms, there is a place you can go to find it. There are regions where the magical is mundane and others where a peasant would be lucky to see a hedgewizard cast a cantrip once before they die. Powerful Wizards have FORTRESSES IN HOLLOWED-OUT ASTEROIDS FROM THE SHATTERED MOON alongside world-ending liches whose grand plan is "get a bunch of skeletons that, inexplicably, two nations of knights can't deal with but five plucky adventurers can". It's a "kitchen sink" setting like Mystara, where the weirdness seldom crosses national borders and you can carve out whatever mini-setting you care to from the huge map.
>>
>>55229153
My party last session refused to run from a fight despite clear warnings of the monster being defensive and prepared to fight, but giving them the chance to back off. Two of the group kept saying 'no guys we should run' and physically ran. Every time someone landed a blow, I told them how it was growing back and the blow should've been lethal, but it's growing back. Every time someone went 'we can run, right?' I went 'yep, that's always an option'.

Two of them died. The paladin gave up trying to keep people up to run away and used a smite on the leader monster - radiant damage was one of the damage types needed to kill it for real. Poor dude spent the entire time slapping health back into people and trying to get them to run.

One of the dead characters is now indebted to a demon lord, the other to the Raven Queen. Wasn't expecting to pull this on them this early, but hey.
>>
>>55229350
>>55229115
One of the things to keep in mind when looking at magic in particular is the "confirmation bias" of sorts of PCs when encountering these things. They're exceptional individuals going to dangerous places and throwing themselves into fights with magical beings in search of ancient artifacts and making deals with shadowy organizations, not a dirt-farming peasant or mid-range barber in the third largest city of the nation. Just because dudes absolutely dripping with magical baubles exist in these places doesn't mean anyone ever comes in contact with them; you can live in New York City or Hollywood and never bump into a celebrity.

And while it seems like magic is everywhere and could be used to improve everyone's lives pretty easily, every setting falls apart under that sort of scrutiny. Even Eberron, which takes the "let's use magic to make things better" further than most settings, still has widescale wealth inequality and people who can't clear fucking rats out of their cellars. We've got enough money in reality to end poverty if we wanted to, but we don't, and no setting designer has seriously thought enough about their fictional economy or sociopolitical nonsense to make it stand up against serious prodding. They're all full of handwaves and just-sos because "it'd be cool to have this", with no extreme care about how all the pieces fit together.

So FR can be what you want. What are you looking for? We might be able to steer you towards an interesting region / history or give you some resources about relevant parts of the setting.
>>
>>55229303
yes, those little frog men, like everyone that saw them wanted to play one

if it's true I want at least 3 in a party so we can be named Rash, Zitz, and Pimple.
>>
>>55229231
There's also an albino dwarf cleric
>>
>>55229369

Yeah, I didn't have a backup plan in case they died. I figured I'd just tell them to roll up a new character, but there is a meddling NPC that could pull them out of a jam if I wanted to go down that route. I get the feeling they wouldn't like that much though.
>>
>>55229153
Most of the modules, PotA included, handle dungeons like truly oldschool crawls. They expect the party to be tapping every stone with a pole, carefully looking around corners, getting into two fights (where inexplicably no one yells) and then resting inside or outside of the dungeon to get all their resources back before challenging the next third of the dungeon (which, also inexplicably, has not been restocked or its security beefed up in any way).

But most people want to handle dungeons as one- or two-session adventures where the party sweeps through with maybe a short rest or two and they can walk from room to room until they find a new pack of enemies like they're mobs in an MMO dungeon. That sort of thinking is incompatible with the dungeons as presented. Seriously, try that approach with SKT / CoS and a DM that doesn't coddle you and you're going to get ten giants / werewolves up your ass in a hot minute.

The biggest mistake you can make is to try and caution a party off with a show of force. They expect everything you present to them to con their level, so to speak, or for retreat to be a waste of time. I once had a group engage in suicidal behavior because, "Well, we want to get into a fight this session and if we run away to get our backup we won't be able to do the dungeon"--as though travelling two days back to town and getting together their dwarven mercenary group to head over was actually going to take more than five minutes of play. It's like flirting: not everyone gets the clue. If you fuck up your subtle "hey guys, this is too dangerous for you" play or the players are oblivious, you TPK them and derail the campaign and engender a lot of butthurt.
>>
>>55229492

I agree with you, typically. I'm not sure this group is like that, for the most part. Even though I'm DMing, I'm the newbie of the group. Our DM for the past two years (who has been playing and DMing for, like, almost as long as I've been alive) wanted to be a player and suggested I take over, so I did. Being the newb I am, I wanted to run them through PotA, since I had played through it before. But these guys have totally been on board with my on-the-fly changes, like beefing up security when they rest or having reinforcements within ear shot show up. I've asked them if it's all cool, and they seem to enjoy the challenge. So I dunno, maybe I'm just an idiot overthinking things.
>>
When you first started playing RPGs, did you ever get the deep feeling you were playing... wrong?

We're on our, like, 5th session, and I can't shake this deep feeling that we're off the mark somehow, and could be having way more fun if we were doing it correctly
>>
>>55229492
>>55229153
So, completely OOC, you say:
>Hey guys, this is actually way over your level. The adventure assumes you aren't here, or have some more help or levels. If you run charging in, it's highly likely you're going to get murdered pretty easily, and you almost certainly can't clear it in one go. You might want to back off or try to cheese this.

Then you can launch into descriptions about how vicious some nearby monster looks, or mention the corpses of similarly-equipped adventurers strewn around, or the boisterous voices of a LARGE number of cultists coming from further within to give them the IC justification for rethinking their plans.

There is a degree of detachment between players and their PCs' actions. Players want to have fun and blow shit up, while PCs, in theory, would rather not die--but they're completely bound to the whims of their player. Things that would make someone cognizant of their own mortality back off don't hit on players. You could be wearing body armor and have a gun, and you'd still think twice about going down that dark alley in gang town. Players will throw their characters into a fucking dragon's ass for a magic brooch without considering that this thing could turn around and kill them twice over in a single round, even though they'd bitch after it does.
The best thing you can do is remind them OOC that danger exists and not rely on in-game signals like "I'll just deal a lot of damage to them" or "let me throw in this 'obviously' hard creature". It's not immersion-ruining at all.
>>
>>55229593
Talk us through it. What are you specifically doing that you feel is wrong?
>>
>>55229597
>tfw I'm the cautious guy in the party who wants to scout around, retreat while firing ranged weapons, regroup, set traps, etc.
>party wants to walk forward and facetank everything
>>
>>55229597

Alright. I was thinking that it would be bad form for me to simply say, ooc, that hey, shit's gonna kill ya, but if it's not a faux pas then I'll give it a shot next time.

>>55229593

Yeah I felt like that. Took a few months, but eventually I figured that it was just the group learning to mesh with one another. If I've learned anything playing with people and reading stories here, it's that every table is different. You'll have your hyper combat tables which are full murderhobo and you'll have your RP heavy tables that prefer to develop their characters more than simply slaying a gryphon (though they will still slay the gryphon).
>>
>>55229045
>My caster power determines how knowledgeable about religion and nature I am
Yeah that makes sense
>>
>>55224163
A single druid with flaming sphere

Add a wizard with grease if you feel the need
>>
File: mustakrakish.jpg (40KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
mustakrakish.jpg
40KB, 1080x608px
>>55223746
Stat me.
>>
Why the blue lips?
>>
>>55229720
That's just how you do there.
>>
>>55229720
Blew a smurf.
>>
So... why do Monks need Wisdom again?
>>
>>55229752
Illumination comes when you realize mind and body are one and the same
>>
>>55229752
Zen shit.
Alternatively, because they used to be quasi-Clerics.
>>
File: CHECKEM HERETIC.png (2MB, 1124x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CHECKEM HERETIC.png
2MB, 1124x1024px
>>55225184
They're being purified in a bout of cleansing fire.
>>
>>55224570
All three seem to have a cosmic/celestial theme, go with that.

The stars are falling, the dead stir.

Three golden souls, bargined away
Come together on a dying day
To the grave of forgotten kings
Three golden souls bearing golden wings
Come togehter on a reborn morn
To mend the world, their bargains torn

Could be a prophecy about the three, & how each one's patron wants them to solve the problem. You can have eldritch horrors attacking, or rebellion in heaven. You could have it that the god for which they share the blood of, has been slain & now everything is fucked up. They have to go to a prophesied place, after doing x, & fight y, to bring order back into the world & maybe find a way out of their bargains/ascend
>>
File: off by one.png (304KB, 472x470px) Image search: [Google]
off by one.png
304KB, 472x470px
>>55229887
>>
I want to play an Vuman artificer. What are some good feats & is it better to gun-sling or potion-fling?
>>
>>55225184
Climate change.
>>
>>55229905
This followed by this
>>55229922

The world is cruel
>>
>>55229887
>887
>>
>>55229752
Bigby was a famous storyteller. His tales of love stirred the hearts of his listeners. When he narrated a story of war, it was as if the listeners themselves were on the field of battle.

One day Bigby met Robilar, a warrior who had almost embraced masterhood in the martial arts. "I understand," said Robilar, "you are the best storyteller in our land and that you make people cry or laugh at will. Tell me my favorite story of the Tomb of Horrors. When I was a little tot I used to sleep beside my mother, and she often related this legend. In the middle of the story I would fall asleep. Tell it to me just as my mother did."

Bigby dared not attempt to do this. He requested time to study. Several months later he went to Robilar and said: "Please give me the opportunity to tell you the story."

"Some other day," answered Robilar.

Bigby was keenly disappointed. He studied further and tried again. Robilar rejected him many times. When Bigby would start to talk Robilar would stop him, saying: "You are not yet like my mother."

It took Bigby five years to be able to tell Robilar the legend as his mother had told it to him.
>>
>>55229922
>quad dubs
nice
>>
Do you guys all play online?
>>
File: intredesting.jpg (40KB, 604x499px) Image search: [Google]
intredesting.jpg
40KB, 604x499px
>>55226852
>a former raider wouldn't think to loot or track down foes
>>
>hey can my glaive deal 1d12 instead of 1d10? like a reflavoured greataxe?
>sure, but then it won't have the reach property.
>oh it's ok. I just want to use polearm master
>I'm not allowing that either. Just use the regular 1d10 glaive.
>Man stop being so stingy

I fucking hate this kind of stuff. Just use the goddamn glaive. Stop trying to milk a slight advantage out of everything you touch.
>>
File: 1503801656766.jpg (354KB, 930x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1503801656766.jpg
354KB, 930x1044px
So...
How badly am I shooting myself in the foot if I retrain my fighter away from great weapon style and into the duelling style, while still keeping GWM and mainly still using polearms to fight? There's been increasing amount of situations of late where grappling and fighting with "civilian" weapons have come in handy, so I thought I'd broaden my repertoire. He's a fighter, a battlemaster with str 19, con 18, Toughness, GWM and Tavern Brawler as feats.
>>
>>55230020
>Bard asks me if he can use a longsword as a finesse weapon
>d8 one-handed weapon, now missing the versatile property, slashing instead of piercing
>ok
>>
>>55230040
You should completely eschew polearms and become a true sword-and-boarder grapplemaster with Dueling, because GWM doesn't need a Heavy or two-handed weapon for its second feature.

Shieldbros best bros. Never forget my game with two Battlemasters, one TB and the other Shield Master. Tag-teaming everything into oblivion with the double whammy knockdown-grapple and enough dual Action Surge alpha strikes to murdalize single targets and defensive maneuvers to survive anything.
>>
>>55229922
Gun-sling is the superior choice.
>>
>>55229922
My party has a potion-flinger and so far it's been a little weak. The main utility of potion-fling is spammable, unavoidable, maximized damage to objects, so if your DM isn't okay with you doing that don't bother
>>
>>55230171
>>55230212
Is there a way to make the gun not a gun? Id rather have a blasting staff. Is it just fluff at that point? The archetype seems reliant on ammo & such & i dont want to shirk a negative.

What's some good feats for a bookish guy who happened to get rangled into an adventure, but not completely unoptimized?
>>
>>55230272
You can refluff it as anything you want as long as it's still 2handed and you have a reasonable equivalent to ammo made by your feature (little crystal batteries or something)
>>
Quick /5eg/, I need ideas for the most action-packed, incredible, pulse-pounding en media res openers for a campaign you can think of.

The catch is that the players are all in the same place at the same time by happenstance: they all have their own reasons, so it needs to be a catch-all opener.
>>
Are any of the UA Paths for Barbarian worth taking over Totem Warrior? Trying to decide between Barbarian and Sorcerer for an upcoming one shot that I'm participating in, and I know jack squat about building barbs.
>>
where do you lads find people to play?
>>
>>55230408

I played Ancestral Guardians and it was fun as hell. There's not a bad one in the batch, really
>>
>>55230408
Herald is fun, but I wouldn't say it's strictly better than HURR I TAKE HALF DAMAGE FROM EVERYTHING.
>>
>>55230411

I literally lucked the fuck out and there happened to be a group on a website, meetup, that was having a get together. I went, met a bunch of people, joined two tables and have been playing with them ever since (one group even led to joining a third table). Pure fucking luck really.
>>
>>55230408
Depends on what you're trying to do, really. Zealot will make other melee party members hate you, but is quite good as a solo melee
>>
>>55230076
If it wouldn't go against my character's backstory, I might had just done that. But as it is now, I'm going for a hybrid solution... plus my boi's terrible dex 7 prevents him from fighting out of armour and our GM houseruled that shields don't give any benefits with full-plate so there's that also.
>>
>>55230474
Well, at this point I don't know what the party composition is going to be. All I know is that everyone's gonna be goblins- and a homebrewed version at that, it seems. Con+2 and +1 to another stat based on a "trade" subclass.
>>
>>55230474

Why? I'm not too familiar with Zealot
>>
File: 1393604769035.jpg (395KB, 989x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1393604769035.jpg
395KB, 989x1200px
Alright, I need a little advice on building a homebrew race, or rather converting a homebrew race from 3.5/Pathfucker to 5e.

The race in particular is very powerful. They are physically powerful and benefit from innate Spell Resistance, but they can never cast spells themselves. I feel like I can come up with something for their other qualities, but Spell Resistance has me flummoxed. How would you adapt something like that to 5e?

All races lie between 6.5 and 7 points on that one race-building chart James Musicus made over on reddit, so it's alright if the feature is a bit powerful.
>>
>>55230341
I had the building they were in explode and start burning down, magmin and mephits spawning from the flames
>>
>>55230502
Their aura hurts everybody, including allies.
>>
>>55230484
what a shit rule
>>
>>55230524
Advantage on saves vs spell.
>>
>>55230748
What would you rate that?
>>
>>55230748
>>55230782
broken/yuan-ti
>>
File: deertroubles.jpg (61KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
deertroubles.jpg
61KB, 670x503px
>>55230484
>GM houseruled that shields don't give any benefits with full-plate
>>
>>55230484
what a fucking garbage as fuck rule
>>
>>55230484
So half plate plus decent dex and a shield gives better AC than full plate plus shield?

Brilliant.
>>
>>55230804
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>55230782
Also, the "can't cast spells" bit might as well not even be there. As soon as a player sees that they'll just pick a class that don't cast. Might want to think about giving beneficial spells cast on them a chance to fail.
>>
>>55230341
Town festival

The town is celebrating a feast day or harvest or gods holy day. Lots of travellers & merchants. Everything is going well, let the players even try a few skill games or something like a normal fair. Then at some good thematic time have somethig attack.

Brigands or soldiers from another lord/country

Undead from the graveyard (festival of the dead maybe?) rise from their grave, a necromancer goading them

Rats bursting forth from all the food, led by a wererat or other "boss" rat type creature

A god falls to the ground in front of the on lookers, demons decend from the sky killing & reveling. The god turns to the party (being the closest people) & holds out a macguffin

The bountiful harvest comes to life! The pumpkins are eating people! A bad crop or druid gone mad? Will the town survive the winter with its stores depleted?
>>
File: 1449709665970.gif (239KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
1449709665970.gif
239KB, 500x419px
I'm a newb trying to understeand the rules so I can DM with a group of newfriends, but i'm having a bit of difficulty grasping all the numbers getting thrown around. I'm particularly confused by paragraph:

Building Bruenor, Step 3
Bob decides to use the standard set of scores (15, 14,
13, 12, 10, 8) for Bruenor’s abilities. Since he’s a fighter,
he puts his highest score, 15, in Strength. His nexthighest,
14, goes in Constitution. Bruenor might be a
brash fighter, but Bob decides he wants the dwarf to be
older, wiser, and a good leader, so he puts decent scores
in Wisdom and Charisma. After applying his racial
benefits (increasing Bruenor’s Constitution by 2 and his
Strength by 2), Bruenor’s ability scores and modifiers
look like this: Strength 17 (+3), Dexterity 10 (+0),
Constitution 16 (+3), Intelligence 8 (–1), Wisdom 13 (+1),
Charisma 12 (+1).

Ability Scores and Modifiers

Score Modifier Score Modifier
1 −5 16–17 +3
2–3 −4 18–19 +4
4–5 −3 20–21 +5
6–7 −2 22–23 +6
8–9 −1 24–25 +7
10–11 +0 26–27 +8
12–13 +1 28–29 +9
14–15 +2 30 +10

First of all, is the number outside the parenthesis the final number? Or is the final number that plus the parenthesis? Neither of them seems right to me, as a fighter dwarf, shouldn't be be getting +4 on constitution and only +2 to strength?
I mean, he should be getting +2 to both for scoring 14-15, and +2 to constitution for being a dwarf, but I don't see why he is getting an extra point to strength, which really he isn't, because, even tho it says +3, the final number is 17, which is only +2, right? Or is that 17+3 for a total 20? And if so, why?

I'm confused.
>>
File: heckingheck.png (49KB, 463x522px) Image search: [Google]
heckingheck.png
49KB, 463x522px
>>55230976
Fuck, the formatting in that post is a mess, have a picture instead.
>>
>>55230524
Why not just not do it
>>
>>55230976
The number outside of the parenthesis is the modifier that stat grants, which is applied to all rolls involving that stat. The chart you posted didn't survive the formatting change very well
>>
>>55223746
Okay broskis I am theoretically about to make a (level 4) Barbarian for a friend's campaign, his first time DMing. We are all playing Ghostwise halflings. Any mandatory need-to-knows for being the most efficient Barb I can? I want to charge in, and RIP AND FUCKING TEAR niggas apart.
>>
>>55230976
The numbers in parentheses are the bonus each stat gives to the corresponding skill/rolls, the number outside is the number he rolled for that stat.
If he rolled strength, he has 17 (+3), so he would add 3 to his roll during the game.
The numbers given for the example character are after racial bonuses are added
>>
>>55228775

the problem is that regular human is trash and is never worth picking over any other race.
>>
>>55231021
>>55231026
I meant inside here. For the most part the actual number you have in a stat matters very little, and the modifier is all you care about. There's almost no mechanical difference between 16 and 17 STR for example
>>
>>55230923
I really don't want to see one of these fuckers as a Wizard. It was a stylistic choice originally, and a means of stopping my That Guy from cheesing.

>>55231024
It just...feels wrong, ya know?
>>
>Alchemical Acid. As an action, you can reach
into your Alchemist’s Satchel, pull out a vial of acid, and hurl the vial at a creature or object
within 30 feet of you (the vial and its contents
disappear if you don’t hurl the vial by the end of
the current turn). The vial shatters on impact. A creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving
throw or take 1d6 acid damage. An object automatically takes that damage, and the damage is maximized.
Can I use this to melt the armor off of people?
>>
>>55231097
I wouldn't have it work on objects being worn or carried, and I bet the only reason it doesn't specify that is because it's UA and unpolished
>>
>>55231069
So you mean instead of him doing something like a barba/rogue so that he has resistance to all damage except psychic, and has advantage on saving throws against all spells?
>>
>>55231097
Normally no.
DM may rule otherwise.
>>
>>55231026
>>55231047
>>55231057
Oh! I'm a retard, the language confuses me a bit at times. I get it now, the modifier is what you add to rolls where the skill is relevant, right? Thanks for helping me out!
>>
>>55231097
Generally, worn or held objects get saves and there's no example of acid damage melting armor in more powerful spells. There aren't actually any robust equipment damage rules to begin with, just some basic object hardness nonsense for siege situations; it's very much not intended that players are breaking enemy equipment mid-fight, just kill the guy instead.

So, no.
>>
>players piss off Zhentarim
>players piss off a frost giant gang leader
>players piss off a black dragon
>players piss off bounty hunters
>players piss off noble dwarves

If you were thinking villain team up you were right
>>
>>55231129
No problem, good luck dude
>>
>>55231119
He's a spellcaster faggot. I can count on one hand the amount of times he's played a martial.
>>
>>55231136
>>55231122
Is taking a few turns to burn through a set of plate's 4d8 hp really that busted? What if the wearer got a dex save to avoid as if they were the target?
>>
>>55231151
>dwarves working with any of those fuckstains
Naw.
>>
Can someone post that chart of class dps per level please?
>>
>>55231213
You really can't imagine a dwarf noble who is obsessed with ancient dwarf items doing something unsavoury to retrieve the items from adventurers who decided not to return them?
>>
>>55231040
Reckless attack is powerful shit, use it.
>>
>>55231097
are you ok with npcs and monsters doing that to you with their own acid or other options?
>>
>>55231222
>dps
>>
>>55231249
>an evil dragon
>frost giants
No.
>the Zhentarim
Only if they're a real shitbird.
>bounty hunters
Sure.
>>
>>55231271
I suppose, but I don't think any other acids have the automatic damage and maximized damage against objects
>>
>>55229492
>Most of the modules, PotA included, handle dungeons like truly oldschool crawls
How do I solve this? I want to run some of them as standalones, but they do have a sort of "Dated" feel to them. The best idea I've seen in regards to this is instead of running it room by room, cutting a portion out of it and walking the party through. Or just extensively streamlining it.
>>
how many of you have killed a dragon?
>>
>>55230913
advantage against all spells is broken as shit, yuan-ti pure bloods get this and it's just fucking stupid
>>
>>55231456
What if you limited it to just two or so schools?
>>
>>55231437
My players killed a Sand Dragon once upon a time.

But uh, recently we almost got TPK'd by a group of adult white dragons. Managed to avoid them and kill their master's phylactery. Their master being a Dracolich.
>>
>>55231437

Killed a lot of adults, like one or two youngs, but never an ancient.
>>
maybe, but maybe something like advantage on con saving spells or something. i know one of the gnomes gets something similar to that.
>>
>>55231437
I have, but not in 5e.

In an AD&D campaign, my thief rolled to pick pocket a skeletal dragons and rolled a 1 on percentile. I plucked it from the dragon's leg and caused it to fall over and break apart.
>>
File: 1392681059422.png (1MB, 1019x881px) Image search: [Google]
1392681059422.png
1MB, 1019x881px
i'm thinking of making a ranger for ToA, what kind of monsters will I MOSTLY be going against? I mean I'd hate to pick something then never ever come across it, and in Adventure League you can change shit around on your character til level 5, so even then i could change it anyways, but might as well get it right on the first try.
>>
>>55231571

I'm guessing dinosaurs and undead, based on what little I've seen.

Speaking of future books, have we gotten confirmation that the revised ranger will go into official print with Xanthar's? Are you guys looking forward to tables half full of rangers for the next year or so?
>>
What are the best monsters (lower level preferred) when running a game set in a pseudo Late Roman setting? Anything that would feel more...I don't know, iconic? Thematic? Do giant spiders feel more Roman than Medieval?
>>
>>55231476
Then you don't understand 5e
>>
>playing roll for stats game
>roll fucking abysmally, nothing over +1, most -1 and -2
>going to roll a plain as fuck human fighter who wants to stop being such a fuckup

is this making the best of a bad situation
>>
>>55231604

We have confirmation it's not going into xanthars, nor are artificer or kys-tic
>>
>>55231672
just play something squishy and die
>>
>>55231348
Honestly, you should just give them a shot. The playstyle of old school dungeon crawling is still perfectly enjoyable if you accept that it mostly assumes your character is expendable and can easily die if you as the player commit a mistake. Even then, most of the stuff published for 5e is significantly defanged, 5e characters are much sturdier, you get several chances to avoid dying in the form of death saving throws, there are options to revive characters from fairly early levels, and very few effects are actually save-or-die while in older (pre-WotC) editions there was a saving throw specifically for shit that'd kill you if you didn't pass it
>>
File: 1352623574964.gif (615KB, 650x362px) Image search: [Google]
1352623574964.gif
615KB, 650x362px
>people missing this week's session
>going to do a goofy oneshot with those who are here
>tempted to give them a Deck of Many Things
>will tie it into the main campaign that is going on

What could go wrong!
>>
>>55231672

I've never met a DM that doesn't let you reroll at least once.

Most ive seen let you roll until you have at least 15 in two stats.
>>
>>55231676
>inb4 lore wizard is the only Wizard subclass going in
>>
>>55231634
Not entirely sure what you mean by that. I don't understand 5e?
>>
File: 13931033303953.jpg (134KB, 456x480px) Image search: [Google]
13931033303953.jpg
134KB, 456x480px
>>55231676

I don't really care about the other two, but...

Fuck.

God dammit.
>>
>>55231704
An ability that gives advantage on saving throws against spells from specific schools of magic is something that REALLY doesn't mesh with 5e's design
>>
>>55231698

Pretty sure Theurge is the one going in, given it got reprinted.

It's likely gettin tweaked, but it's basically proven.
>>
>>55231710
I remember something about them saying they were going to release it officially for free in some way.
>>
>>55231683
Seems like it would be obvious if I was trying to die, plus I'd get foisted into an in-progress campaign for some BS reason

>>55231694
I guess my DM is strict
>>
>>55231710

Pretty sure they said ranger will eventually bs released as a free standalone pdf.
>>
>>55231692
Don't let the players know it's gonna tie into the main campaign, also if they decide to do something world breaking have fun
>>
>>55231731
No, your dm is just a dick.
>>
>>55231692

>Have this happen in one of my games
>My literally retarded barbarian ended with even lower Int (3), blue and soul trapped

It was quite amusing actually. I had taken to rolling to decide what my barbarian would do in most situations, so I turned to look at a fellow player when it came my turn to draw and I asked him, in regards to how many cards I should draw "high or low?"

He said high. I rolled a 1d12 and it landed on 11. I got through four cards before getting my soul stuck in another dimension or whatever. It was the last session of the campaign though, so it didn't really matter.

>>55231727
>>55231734

That's well and good, but a "when" would be even better. Willing to bet they didn't offer that info though.
>>
>>55231751
He's a cool guy, you should give him a chance.
>>
>>55231721
So in your opinion it's all or nothing?
>>
>>55231804
Not that anon, but 5e design is focused on the spell saving throw, not the school that casts it. That's why you have things like "advantage on WIS saving throws" or what not, versus "advantage versus X/Y/Z school". That requires a hell of a lot more book keeping, because now you have to keep track / verify what spell school, versus just "Oh it targets this ability score, got it".
>>
>>55231844
Hm. So Advantage on, say, two or more Ability Scores would fit better?
>>
>>55231872
Advantage on a single ability score is better.
>>
>>55231872
By you description of the race I'd say con would be the best pick.
>>
>>55231872
Yes, but it's pretty goddamn powerful for a racial ability.
>>
im looking to run through LMoP on roll20. how worth is it to buy the adventure pre made? would it really be that difficult to make from scratch?
>>
File: it's shit.png (152KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
it's shit.png
152KB, 500x200px
>>55231965
>giving Nolan T. "I'd rather fund a shitty eSports team than fix my shitty coding" Jones money
Not even once.
>>
>>55231965
Depends how much you value your time, but I'd say yes, it's worth it.
>>
>>55231934
Sorry, meant Ability Save.

>>55231948
Off the top of my head, that'd give them a bonus against poison, necrotic, and what else?

>>55231952
Yeah, which is why I'm shopping around for advice on balancing it.
>>
>>55231872
Hell, if you REALLY want to push the innate magical resistance thing, you go a separate route and go "spells have a disadvantage when targeting you" - so you're still able to get screwed over by area of effect spells, but if you're the specific target of a spell, it makes it quite a bit more difficult - but gives them a bit more of an interesting niche, and still leaves you open to a lot of the powerful abilities. Hell, that plus powerful build would go a long way to giving the thematic elements of what you want. Shit is still going to be god damned powerful though.
>>
>>55232019
I actually like that. That's not a bad idea.
>>
>>55232006
I know what you meant. I don't think its wise to give them multiple advantages, unless you're severely biting them somewhere else.
>>
>>55232035
Let /5eg/ chew on it for awhile more before you lock it down. I'm not a homebrew guy, and I'm not running any numbers on balance of that. What other things are you tying to the race?
>>
>>55232074
Inravhel
..Invarahel
>>
I frankensteined a setting, combining Innistrad from MTG, Ravenloft from D&D, the Castlevania game series and 2004's Van Helsing. One of my players asked what the world is call and I am unable to think of one. Suggestions? So far I've only really named the continent they are on (Galbadia).

>Deleted and reposted cause the typo was annoying the fuck out of me.

>>55232094
Inravhel or Invarahel, huh? I'll store both of those.
>>
>>55232074
Just smash syllables together
Vanniloft
Vannislad
Ravensong (bastardization of raven+van helsing)
Innivena
Inivenia
Instrahd (because Ravenloft)
Van Loftania
>>
>>55232121
Yep.
Innistradravenlofthellsing.
>>
>>55232122
Instrahd. I like that one. Ravensong and Van Loftania are good too.
>>
File: 1441987921812.jpg (98KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
1441987921812.jpg
98KB, 736x1104px
>>55232043
Yeah. The original idea made them ideal as big bruisers, but they couldn't cast spells themselves, which was a big thing two editions ago. They worked pretty well as scary mooks as well, especially towards the heavily caster-filled party I ran the game for at the time.

>>55232069
I'm in no rush to finalize anything. My players are all busy for at least another month or two.

>What other things are you tying to the race?

The race is called the Brutum, and they represent a sort of blend between various "barbarian" tribes during the Late-Republic and Early Imperial Roman eras. They operate as auxiliaries who've totally bought into the myth of the Empire and serve it loyally. Senators, Generals, and even the First Citizen all favor Brutum bodyguards due to their natural ferocity and magical resistance. Brutum basically look like one of the hairier versions of Sabertooth from the Xmen, pretty shaggy and built like young Shaq.

Their original abilities included spell resistance, an extra hit point per level, and the ability to charge/run as a swift action. They could swap that last one out at chargen for increasing their weapon's crit multiplier. They were always pretty beefy, but fairly balanced against the others, some of which I already have working models of.
>>
>>55232121
The campaign itself is interesting. I kinda put together this hodgepodge custom Player's Handbook, combining the regularly Player's Handbook, Planeshift: Innistrad and several DMs Guild documents that matched the setting, as well as a PDF I found on Reddit called Dark Arts Player's Companion.

The result is a Rogue who can manipulate his own shadow, a Warlock of the Archvey, a Fighter who can use Blood Magic and a 'Witch Hunter' Inquisitor of the Church of the Holy Light, using Mathew Mercer's Blood Hunter class.

Quickly realized towards the end of the first session that the group became a D&D 5e version of a Dark Heresy group.
>>
> Want to play Valor Bard
> But level 10 is so far away

Maybe Lore Bard with fighter dip would have fun earlier?
>>
Fuck, unexpected third campaign coming up. I run one, friend runs the other. Get to play another character. I've played

>Half-Elf (Moon) Lore Bard on a quest to find his parents. Quest ended at level 9.
>Human Champion Fighter on a quest to find kill the enemy that caused his amnesia. Character "died" at level 7 by capture and conversion by Yuan-Ti.
>Gnome Life Cleric who was the mayor of a town. Currently playing.

I have a Swashbuckler Rogue on the back burner for SKT in the future, so just not that. Any ideas? There are usually some unique ideas coming from here.
>>
File: Veyyyyyyy.jpg (10KB, 167x87px) Image search: [Google]
Veyyyyyyy.jpg
10KB, 167x87px
>>55232253
>Warlock of the Archvey
>>
>>55232330
Nah nigga. Be an archer valor bard with only 1 levels worth of fighter for that archery style. Maybe 2 if you want to really shoot some niggas with arrows.
>>
>>55232866
I had a lot of fun as a surfer dude druid of the coast. 1 level in monk so you can wear shorts and fight with a dex spear.
>>
>>55231731
I mean playing a fighter isn't the worst thing, especially with shitty stats.
Just play a non-variant human to get higher stats across the board and as a fighter you'll more than make up for it with the amount of ASIs you'll get.
You can actually play the zero to hero.
>>
i'm a barbarian with 18 str
should i get gwm at level 4 or put my str to 20 at level 4? i assuming gwm
>>
>>55232972
Yeah the +1 to hit and damage isn't going to be as impactful as the gwm will be.
>>
When if ever should you use a medusa?

Side question, what other cool shit is being added in the new expansion book? ToA
>>
Green dragon has 1 hour to prepare in his lair. He's already wounded. What kind of traps would he lay down, especially knowing he really wants revenge on the druid who can turn into an elemental (immune to poison)?
>>
ive been blessed with the chance to finally make a martial and not feel like a detriment to the group by not filling some sort of spellcasting role

now tell me /5eg/, is pic a Frenzy Barbarian with GWM or Monster Hunter Fighter with GWM?
>>
>>55233015
rocks fall
>>
>>55224163
The hallway is finely carved. The piercers stand out because a cut stone dungeon should not have stalacite. We shoot the piercers down until we see the roper.
>fun dm
Enlarge. The roper dies because it's crushed by its own size against the nearby walls.
>normal dm
Alternatively, flame sphere, blindness and bane.
>>
>>55233002
I always like to turn those classic monsters into their own plots or change them slightly to fit my purposes.
If there's a snake haired lady that turns people to stone, perhaps she was a yuan-ti captive and her transformation cursed her differently and actually elevated her status higher than her captors. I don't know.

But the main thing is, if you've got an effect that is save or suck like her curse, be sure to drop a ton of hints. Local legends, literal statues, etc.
>>
>>55233023
frenzy barbarian for sure
>>
File: Naga.jpg (20KB, 499x339px) Image search: [Google]
Naga.jpg
20KB, 499x339px
>>55233015
He'd not be in his lair. He'd be outside his lair hiding, waiting for the party to enter it before caving in the entrance to it from the outside.

Now what IS inside his lair is many, many minions. Many, many kobolds
>>
>>55227138
>>55226185

You realize it's around a corner, right?
Did you look at the picture?
>>
>>55233023
He's closer to a Barb in my opinion with how he shrugs off damage when in a blind rage.
>>
>>55233045
How about the curse itself? Loosen restriction on needing greater restoration/wish or keep as is.
>>
>>55233066
Depends on what level the players are at. Do they have access to greater restoration? If not, be prepared for the worst. Although, you can always give them another remedy for the curse. Like the blood of the medusa could fix it.
Or one I particularly like and is kinda silly, make the turned-to-stone more like she turned whoever into a dried sponge. Just add water.

But yeah, it really depends on your game, levels of the characters, as well as the players themselves.
>>
>>55225888
I like to let my players add to their backstories as the game goes on, but changing things is usually a no-go.

Things to consider: Would this change help out the group freely? Pose a threat? Would it be risk-reward?
Does it sound fun?
Does it fit with the general tone of the story? (In this case, would it make sense for a female dwarf to try and take over this region?)
>>
>>55226443
Humans get
>+1 to all stats
>+1 extra to a stat of your choice
>1 skill proficiency
>1 tool proficiency, or one language
>>
My party is completely oblivious to the game itself and just wander around almost getting murdered all the time.

>run into first dungeon blindly
>before I can even describe the room, the level 1 wizard pops around the corner and fires off an ice ray.
>goblins rape her
>goblins rape the monk
>bard considered running but rogue convinces him to stay
>have to fudge rolls so I don't get a TPK in the FIRST FUCKING ROOM
>then learn nothing
>they tell my quest giver to fuck off because he's creepy
>tell the visiting wizard in the town to fuck off after he identifies their items
>they take the next quest from a reoccurring character, they completely trust her for some reason even though she's evil
>completely blow off pot hook after plot hook that would separate them from the NPC who is leading them into an OBVIOUS trap
>they just ran blindly into a massive orc compound because the NPC told them to, even though she ran off to "take care of something"
>They never abuse mechanics, never try to gain advantage, never try to work together

They're all nice IRL so I just roll w/ it, but man I have to try not to kill these fools.
>>
>>55226814
>>55226820

Reddit spacing is a term used to coin the posting style in which people use too many paragraphs (with an additional blank line between paragraphs) compared to the common 4chan style of writing.

The problem with this style of writing is that it takes up more space and can ruin the flow of reading.

The advantages to this style of writing is that it can look quite decent, compared to the messy posts that regular 4chan posters make.

One thing to keep in mind is that, for especially long posts / sections of texts, paragraphs are always warrented.

The main issue is when people post a sentence or two, and then jump to a new paragraph.

Like this post.
>>
>>55233193
well i think it's also derived from the fact that you need to press enter twice to go down a line when typing in reddit or some shit
>>
File: buff.png (11KB, 265x130px) Image search: [Google]
buff.png
11KB, 265x130px
>>55233193
what the fuck, is calling it reddit spacing new? i dropped of /tg/ and /vg/ for like a year and half. whenever i used to see posts in that kind of format i would just assume someone is on mobile.
>>
>>55233159
>People make stupid decisions
>Actively protect them from the consequences of these decisions
They'll never learn until you teach them
>>
>>55233225
Why the fuck would typing on mobile cause you to press enter more? I post from mobile all the time and never do that shit
>>
>>55233242
assumed the smaller screens made people double space their shit so they could read their own line breaks easier.
>>
>>55233242
The way it looks like you've typed way more than you have when in mobile.
>>
>>55233231
>They'll never learn until you teach them

Pretty much. My players just goobered their way into a Beholder's lair without properly learning anything about him. In fact, they didn't even realize it was a Beholder's lair until they were halfway through and the constant eye imagery and statues clued them in.

Pretty amazing they made it past 100 Hobgoblins and 3 Wyverns. Even more amazing that they managed to hit the Beholder a single time. Exceptionally amazing that they only had 3 people die instead of a 6 man TPK.

They learned not to be idiots.
>>
File: 1503465174972.gif (87KB, 192x197px) Image search: [Google]
1503465174972.gif
87KB, 192x197px
>Tfw going to be playing a Barbearian
>Originally told myself I'd steer clear of GWM and two handers in general
>Only meh about the style imagining using other weapons
>DM also thinks Barbs are slightly broken so i have to optimize to keep us all alive
Send help
>>
>>55233326
>DM also thinks Barbs are slightly broken

Is your DM a retard?
>>
>>55233326
>barbs are broken
>not even the best martial is broken
>>
>>55233339
New DM, he's a friend who has had an interest in DMing and I've been a forever DM who finally has a chance to play. He got the idea from the CR battle royal where Grog damn near beat everyone. Also we haven't had too many barbarians at the table
>>
Anyone have a good orcpub alternative, maybe an offline version?
>>
File: guyman.png (201KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
guyman.png
201KB, 400x400px
>>55233372
>Grog nearly beat everyone
>then died to an artificer who hugged goobered them for the fun of it

perhaps he should've finished watching the fight
>>
>>55233396
He did, even with me explaining that Travis is probably the brightest out of all of them and the others are barely competent at playing DnD he's still convinced they're ridiculous. Not to even mention the classes aren't balanced for PvP and he used the fucking deck in the middle of the fight.
>>
>>55233432
grog also has some pretty sick magical items
sounds like your friend is a retard if he cant accept logic and reason
>>
>>55233372
>He got the idea from the CR battle royal where Grog damn near beat everyone.

I enjoy CR myself, but...
>thinking barbarians are broken
>thinking barbarians are broken from watching pvp
>thinking barbarians are broken from watching high level characters decked out in magical items do FFA-style pvp
>thinking barbarians are broken from watching high level characters decked out in magical items do FFA-style pvp in a decently modified version of 5e where people can cast 2nd level spells as a bonus action

At least you tried to explain to him that he was being dumb.
>>
>>55233457
I know but it's been forever since I've played so I'm hoping it'll smooth out when either a couple near tpks happen or a couple members die and he realizes I wasn't bullshitting. Guess I'll just grab a great axe and GWM the shit out of everything
>>
New thread
>>55233496
>>55233496
>>55233496
>>55233496
>>55233496
>>55233496
>>
>>55233483
>where people can cast 2nd level spells as a bonus action
What? The rule is that if you cast a spell as a bonus action, then your action spell can be up to 2nd level rather than a cantrip as per RAW.
>>
>>55233056
The party is already at the entrance of his lair, and they've just killed most of his minions. I really need some traps or other stuff in the lair. He doesn't have a lot of time, but he has access to magic and spells, plus the stuff in his hoard.
>>
>>55226865

Wonder if Cleric is the best dip for a dwarf bard, for the style and the proficiency.
>>
>>55232019
>spells have disadvantage when targeting you
>including healing magic and buffs
>>
>>55233193

I picked this shit up from posting on gamefaqs way back when.
>>
>>55233225
Its the most insufferable form of "lurk moar" 4chan has seen in a while. It did get more popular with mobile phones iirc, but the spacing that they're complaining about has been on 4chan since slashdot was reddit and reddit was some no-name site nobody cared about. I've been here since before snacks got banned and when /g/ was guro, and nobody ever cared about "reddit spacing" until recently.

And you know all the people who accuse others of reddit spacing came from /r/the_donald last year and are trying to sound like oldfags to be cool. Fucking /pol/ ruined this site
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.