[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 371
Thread images: 42

File: Food.jpg (65KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Food.jpg
65KB, 500x281px
UA: Food and Provision edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55210488

It's this time of the month again, lads
>>
>>55218147
For example

>Glovia is dropped in the Blood o' the Wine Tavern
>Glovia has been serving as the town healer ever since the Priest has taken a leave from his senses and so she tends to the party's wounds and corpses from Death House
>Vasille becomes the Burgomaster's emissary and they go to rescue him in order to establish trust with Ismark in order for him to introduce them to Kolyan Indirovich
>Kolyan is still alive
>Ireena works as an aprentice to Glovia, and because of her vital role as the only other town healer, has refused to abandon her town for the sake of her patients
>The Wight who ambushed Vasille fights the party, but escapes before they can kill him, without them knowing he'll alert Strahd for the presence of the adventurers who have clearly made contact with the Kolyan
>Strahd hasn't attacked the Indirovich mansion ever since the adventurers arrived. He fears Ireena will die before he can take her, so he counts of outsiders source of entropy to disrupt the cycle enough for him to take his bride
>>
Is there a good Swordsage archetype for 5e? I've looked at the Martial Adept class in the OP dropbox but the class features seemed a bit boring. I also took a peak at the Blademaster class someone made but with my untrained eyes I couldn't really judge it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dm7cymghws1qune/AABu_kzBJmxC7xjiar2nWJYma/Class%20-%20Martial%20Adept%20v0.7%2C%20by%20Kittenhugs.pdf?dl=0
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zHLtUBIOpuzbhov9Jk6GsCgftm1TIb2_Q8oHBWo26Jk/edit

Which version would you guys use, or do you have a better one perhaps?
>>
>>55218218

>The party arrives in barovia with Vasille and surrender him to Glovia and Ireena for care at the local hospice
>Ismark is grateful for the rescue of his vassal but concerned. When he went to his father, he revealed that he was already expecting them, and that has to do with Vistani trickery, whom Ismark *heavily* despises.
>So he advises caution and downtime for the party to walk around and do their downtime shit in Barovia before coming to the mansion whenever.
>When they do, Stanamir, playing the role of Sybil comes as an envoy of the Vistani caravan to the west, whom Madam Eva as tasked with the sharing of a vision, as a sign of good faith between them, a proof of her credentials, and an invitation for their visit.
>The dream sequence happens as normal except the role of the "Pretty Lady" is replaced by that of the "Handsome Man" who is
>The Abbot! He trades Glovia Falinescu's research into Flesh Golem surgery procedures for assistance in the ritual she needs to raise her daughter.
>Strahd interrupts the vision with an attack on the town of Barovia!
>The combat encounter runs the same except instead of a storage area with provisions for winter, you have the hospice with all the patients
>And lo who is leading the fight if not the wight they failed to kill before!
>>
>>55218243
Just take the Blood Hunter from Mercer.
>>
>>55218243
Just play a Kensai Monk.
>>
>>55218297
I was hoping to use Maneuvers and such as I never got a chance to play Swordsage in 3.5 before our group moved on to 5e.
>>
I am considering a Ranger/Rogue character for my next one. Intended to be an Archer, I planned on going for level 2 dip in Ranger for Favoured enemy Humanoids (it is an Elf who used to hunt human bandits for sport) and archery fighting style, and then full Rogue.

No UA allowed, and I am not sure if level 3 makes sense to go for in Ranger. I really don't want to delay my Sneak attack die or Rogue abilities more than I have to.

Which way should I go about doing this? Ranger2/RogueX, or a few levels of rogue before my dip into Ranger?
>>
>>55218328
Keep your 3.5 cancer in 3.5 please.
>>
>>55218272

>The party tries to save Barovia from the assault, while in the background, Strahd triumphant swoops down from the heavens in his flaming steed to claim his bride
>Alas, rage overwhelms him when a few turns later it is revealed that she is out of his reach. Glovia has absconded with her aprentice!
>Kolyan dies before revealing the whereabouts of his daughter, but with the help of the survivors the party knows the location of the secluded Falinescu manor, and they rush to the rescue.
>The Manor dungeon happens almost entirely as normal. Some heavy research reveals the Short Rest cider gains their properties from a mysterious apple whose seeds are somewhere in the Wintergarden in a mason jar
>This apple of course, will be revealed to be the fruit of the Gulthias tree. It adds tragedy that Glovia found the cure to isabella's illness a long while after she was dead, but the seeds make for an intersting NPC for the druid
>The role of Sorina's father is played by Ismark, who has rushed to save her and got captured, leaving a trail of corpses and wreckage in his wake before his capture.
>Glovia's research into the ritual reveals they all failled do to a "containment breach" of sorts. She is slowly stumbling onto the fact that not all Barovians have souls, and because of that, not all of them were suitable hosts for her daughter before.
>Before the final confrontation with Glovia, she is casual about what she is doing, believing she is doing ireena a favor, as in a way, she is saving her from Strahd's atention
>They duke it out in battle and save ireena at the cost of a tortured and sympathetic villain
>The end
>>
Spoilers are gay
>>
>>55218337
>no UA allowed

Does that mean that you're not allowed to use Revised Ranger? If so, then don't fucking bother dipping into Ranger at all. Unrevised Ranger is hot dog shit and won't be worth meeting the Wisdom requirement to multiclass into it, much less missing out on two levels.

If you can use Revised Ranger, then going to 3 in Ranger might be worth it so that you can pick an Enclave. Every Enclave has pretty powerful level 3 abilities, but Hunter is probably the one that's most fitting for your concept.
>>
>>55218337
Too bad about banned arcanas, because Scout archetype for rogues sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Level 3 Hunter abilities are IMHO worth of sacrificing +1d6 of sneak attack (pick Collossus slayer or Horde breaker).

Unless you're using revised ranger, Favoured Enemy kinda sucks. Archery fighting style is good, but you might want to consider Fighter 1 to get it instead - it will eat less levels of your main class.
>>
>>55218420
Seconding this. If you're not playing a caster, no need to go ranger
>>
>>55218337
Just be full rogue with Urban bounty hunter background.

Backstory != mechanic.
>>
>>55218548
>>55218420
>>55218390
Cheers, I will go for fighter 1 then. Would it be best to pick Fighter or Rogue first?
>>
>>55218620
I really want archery fighting style, and I need to MC to get that.
>>
>>55218627
You want +1 HP and heavy armor proficiency OR one more skill proficiency? That's the only difference in the long run.

I personally would choose rogue1/fighter1/rogue X because having a lot of skill proficiencies is my fetish.
>>
>>55218180
Food and provisions you say?
>>
>playing a Bard
>Going through a dungeon where we uncover a goblin underground empire
>GM goes full Darkest Dungeon with Goblins of various kinds.
>At the end of the first 5 encounter dungeon, we find a Goblin Slayer longsword, which adds Charisma mod to the damage of the sword, and counts as a +3 longsword when fighting Goblins.
>Nobody wants it. I take it
>level 3 now, and I can't decide on my path anymore.
I was going lore bard. I was going for a supporty caster with a lot of healing and buffs, and even went inspiring presence feat for my VHuman start.

Now it feels like I am an idiot if I dont focus on this. We have already been introduced to a Hobgoblin who soloed an Ancient Dragon, so I am pretty sure we aren't going to be facing much other than goblins. My Strength is 10.

What the fuck do I do. Do I just use this sword as a nice free way of doing damage, or do I go full Valour Bard? I am completely lost. It doesn't fit the concept I had in mind at all, and he didn't even have anything other than a knife as a weapon at first, because he wasn't meant to fight.

I have never been this torn about a character choice before. God damn man.
>>
>>55218679
>>
>>55218665
Definitely going Rogue first then. Might just go Rogue 2/Fighter 1/Rogue x, just for that early cunning action though.

What a the verdict on most effective Rogue? I don't care for assassin, but I am a bit torn between Thief and Arcane Trickster.
>>
File: dremi loubi thri kreen.jpg (59KB, 830x646px) Image search: [Google]
dremi loubi thri kreen.jpg
59KB, 830x646px
anybody got in pictures of thri kreen that look like flower mantises, its how they look in my setting? pic related.
>>
>>55218715
Just cause you have it doesn't mean you need to use it. If your bard isn't the kind of person to get up close and personal, then don't.
>>
>>55218735
What do you want to do?
>>
>>55218715
Your character concept should change and what not, but i would stick with lore, especially if you are going to be comic relief.
>>
>>55218735
Arcane Trickster is far and away the strongest of the three, mechanically, even if I personally prefer Thief, flavor-wise. Assassin and Thief don't really give you a lot of benefit compared to Arcane Trickster, and what benefits they do give you won't show up nearly as often as the use of your spells.
>>
>>55218760
Honestly? Sell the sword and do what I do.

I just feel like I am a gigantic idiot if I do.

It's like.... imagine playing a melee fighter, but the GM drops a +3 crossbow in your hands. I have a hard time justifying not using the clearly superior weapon.

>>55218762
I really want lore, so I will probably try to stick with it, if only to keep myself from making a choice that will prevent me from getting the magical secrets I want. I almost hate my GM for putting this on me/us, because dropping a completely overpowered weapon in our hands this early, when none of us want it (Paladin with GWM and GWF, Moon Druid and Sorcerer). Why do some GMs do that? For what purpose?

Why not just make it a dagger or short sword or whatever, or even a greatsword, make sure someone actually cares about it.
>>
>>55218767
Cool, I was hoping for that.

If I am going for the concept I have in mind, would Magic Initiate Wizard, or Ritual Caster Wizard be a semi-viable choice, and which would be better?

I know my group will not have much in terms of magic, especially not rituals, so I would like some options in that regard.
>>
>>55218843
Or do what I do with my bard. Hoard it for a massive leverage against the King of the Goblin enemies, who will happily trade you for an instrument of the bards of your choosing
>>
How you deal with players who try to push you into adding magic items? I'm talking about guys who suddenly mention "having heard of itemX" during an important piece of dialogue. What do you do with them?
>>
>>55218886
Red herring them. Start dropping hints about its location and how to get it and when they find it it turns out to be completely mundane and the powers attributed to it came from its original wielder.
>>
>>55218886

Remind them that they are free to create magic items during downtime, provided they can afford the exorbitant costs associated with doing so.

Then start enforcing lifestyle expenses, provided you don't actually want to let them produce a shitton of them and leave them laying around like the proverbial wizard with no sense of right and wrong.
>>
>>55218905
>>55218886

Add magic items you dick, but make them interesting and not just +x weapons.

Don't do this >>55218905
Guaranteed to lose you players.

Magic items are what make shit fun, especially if they're non-combat like an alchemy jug or decanter of endless water.
>>
>>55218886
Add in magic items. Maybe not necessarily the items your party is trying to sniff out, but magic items nonetheless. Give em some utility accessories or rings, or devise a "knockoff" weapon that's sort of like the one they want, but less powerful or has some odd effect to it.
>>
>>55218938
As the guy who posted >>55218905 I do agree with you, magic items are what make shit fun and you should give them to your players, but not if the player is a faggot who starts making shit up IC to try and get the DM to make the item for them. That's extremely shitty and deserves an equally shitty response. Now if they'd asked between sessions if such and such an item could turn up or asked if they could craft it in downtime or the like then sure, but making shit up IC so the DM feels pressured to put that shit in for them is out of line, it's essentially metagay of the highest order and you don't want to encourage that shit at all.

That said at the end of the red herring example I gave I wouldn't just straight shaft them, they'd get a magic item from it for sure, or maybe some training from said wielder that gives them SOME of the power, just not exactly the one they wanted because they didn't have the common decency to just have a polite chat with the DM about it out of session. D&D is supposed to be a cooperative experience between the DM and players, you don't just bypass that shit and try and put the DM on the spot like that.
>>
File: rations_drow.jpg (2MB, 4160x3088px) Image search: [Google]
rations_drow.jpg
2MB, 4160x3088px
>>
File: rations_duergar.jpg (265KB, 1456x1092px) Image search: [Google]
rations_duergar.jpg
265KB, 1456x1092px
>>
File: rations_dwarf.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
rations_dwarf.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>55219044
why the fuck is there a giant chunk of amethyst sitting off the edge of the table?
>>
File: rations_elf.jpg (5MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
rations_elf.jpg
5MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>55219070
rock candy
>>
File: rations_gnome.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
rations_gnome.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>55219044
>>55219052
>>55219061
>>55219073

These all look super fucking disgusting.
>>
File: rations_half_orc.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
rations_half_orc.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>55219070
You leave it out in the open and wait for a svirfneblin to jump out and try snatching it. That's when you light him up with scorching ray or some crossbow bolts. You must both nourish your body and your soul, anon.
>>
File: rations_lizardmen.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
rations_lizardmen.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>55219094

First one to look half dect and it's half-orcs.
>>
>>55219093
>1st world problem: too many fine dining options, had never been hungry
Seriously? it looks delicious, I'd eat any of them.
>>
File: rations_orc.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
rations_orc.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>55219106

TIL Lizardmen are french.
>>
>>55219116

They look like fucking shit, also I fucking hate cheese
>>
File: rations_universal.jpg (5MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
rations_universal.jpg
5MB, 3648x2736px
>>
>>55219116

It's also super inspiring.

To me, at least. My check clears in an hour or so, and I haven't been able to get a meal in a couple of days. Shit sucks, but it'll be over soon enough.

I'm thinking of getting something like >>55219073.
>>
File: fd3.jpg (132KB, 1392x996px) Image search: [Google]
fd3.jpg
132KB, 1392x996px
>>55219126
begone troglodyte
>>
>>55219145

You're practically eating curdled milk.
>>
>>55219162
we need not your dark kind here
>>
>>55219162

Curdled milk is uncultured cheese.

Likewise, you are a curdled man.
>>
File: 1fa657594f62984dd9584bd80fd805d9.jpg (207KB, 1024x1449px) Image search: [Google]
1fa657594f62984dd9584bd80fd805d9.jpg
207KB, 1024x1449px
>>55219166

Not like us warforged need to eat anyway
>>
>>55218886
Be very cautious of giving players the exact magic items they want. Or letting them do so. It's how you break games. The earlier editions that had "magic item economies" were busted partially because of it.

I have a personal anecdote in which our DM let the party all spend a certain amount of gold on buying magical items while we were in a city. I was playing a Fighter and still had my shitty chainmail, so I opted to spend the entire allowance of my gold on mithril full plate, because I needed full plate, I wanted to stop being such a horrible burden on attempts to avoid detection, and I thought it was neat flavor.

The Bard bought +1 studded leather, a +1 longbow, and bracers of archery, spending less gold than I did for just my plate. She did better damage than anybody else in the party for quite a while, despite being a Lore Bard and our healer.

Magic items can be INCREDIBLY powerful, and you shouldn't hand them out too promiscuously. However, the game is balanced around the party, especially martial characters, having them, just not too many, and not the best ones.
>>
>>55218180
>UA: Food and Provision edition
You got me, you glorious son of a bitch.
>>
Just got invited to DM a game in less than a week. Can you guys give me some plot/villain motivation ideas?
>>
Making a new character at level 1 and coming up with nothing. Anyone have any character inspiration?
>>
>>55219126
>>55219093
Thanks for taking one for the team and having all of the shit taste in the thread.
>>
>>55219221
"Why not?"
The villain saw an opportunity, had the skill/clout/means to do something nasty, and did it because why not?
>>
Both the party and a powerful mindflayer (and his minions) were looking for a treasure in a big dungeon. They fought and beat the mindflayer but he managed to planeshift out.

Now I want him to come back after he finishes a long rest, who should we come back with? An inquisition? More minions? Or maybe use him as a "hurry and finish the dungeon before he can come back"?

The players were eager to kill him though.
>>
What is it with americans and their cheese? Everywhere I go that serves american food or is run by an american company loads everything with cheese.
>>
>>55219261
Cause it's fucking delicious, m8
>>
>>55219221

Wishes to merge the abyss with the material plane?
>>
>>55218328
Don't know anything about the swordsage, but Battlemaster has some nice maneuvers.
>>
>>55219266

It's ok in moderation but americans seem to load everything with it.
>>
>>55219222

Roll a Mystic. Take the Nomad discipline and the Mind Meld talent.

Your motivation is sheer fucking boredom. You're willing to follow the group around and help them out in exchange for someone occasionally sharing a fun memory with you through the use of that Mind Meld talent.
>>
>>55219273
Nah, wishes to merge the local heaven equivalent with the material plane so everyone can be with their loved ones.
>>
>>55219142
My main gripe is that these are all perishable, some could last a few days, but several would only last for a few hours unrefrigerated (seafood ffs). They could certainly work as dishes at an inn, and they do look tasty and give at least some vibes of the races they're meant to represent, but they're not rations.

Dried, salted, smoked, pickled and cured food is what rations would often be made of. And they'd frequently require some preparation, e.g. dried grains need boiling or baking, salted fish needs watering, etc. By keeping how perishable food is in mind you can create a clear distinction between "tavern food" and rations.
>>
>>55219142
I'm jelly. I love whole honeycomb, but it's almost impossible to get them where I live - the beekeepers immediatelly throw them into extractors and have no delicious combs for sale.
>>
>>55219243

A long rest is 8 hours, they should be able to finish the dungeon.
>>
>>55219286
You have the FREEDOM to order your food without so much cheese while you're in AMERICA.
>>
>No UA due to holiday, but it's a fun one
What did Mearls mean by this?
>>
File: phone.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
phone.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
>no rations_dragonborn.jpg
>>
>>55219221

Chaos is the prized tool of the lawful.

When everything's in anarchy thosee who can impose their will and structure on others come out on top.
>>
>>55219313
F O O D & P R O V I S I O N S
>>
>>55219313
It will be a boring one or he meant that the holiday is a fun one, only possible explanations.
>>
>>55219293

While true, I'm a bit too hungry to nitpick over that. That said, I'm going to save these images as "tavern_food" and list the races as appropriate.

When you're right, you're right. And you? You're right.

>>55219294

I don't know if I can find honeycomb in my area anymore. I used to know a place that carried it, but they may have shut down with Walmart moving in.

Pray for my successful searching, man. I think I'm going to need it.
>>
>>55219287
Not him, but I thought about making a Nomad who focuses on being a mobile battlefield controlling tank.
I will teleport into position, swap places with allies who are in bad positions, and use many of the Wu Jen and Immortal discliplines to have crowd controll and tankiness.

Problem is I don't know what race to take. We rolled for stats, and my 3 best ones are 15,15 and 14, which will of course be put into Dex, Con and Int.

Variant human seems like the best choice, but High Elf could also work. With High Eld I could use Booming blade to have good damaging options without spending Psi, and with variant human I could either take Crossbow expert and Nomadic Arrow for the same reason, or tough for extra tankiness.
>>
File: It's not happening.jpg (63KB, 611x404px) Image search: [Google]
It's not happening.jpg
63KB, 611x404px
>>55219313
>No UA due to holiday
>>
>>55219295
Maybe not, they have a lot of rooms left.
>>
>>55219346

I'd normally recommend a Forest Gnome, if only because having Minor Illusion means that you could drop a quick illusion of a stone wall to save your ass in a pinch. It also provides you with +2 Intelligence and +1 Dexterity, which is always good. Further, advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against spells? Yes, please.

It's ultimately your call, though.

One discipline you might want to look at for flexibility purposes is the Mantle Of Command, along with Nomadic Mind. The Psychic Focus benefit is beautiful for out of combat utility, as well as in-combat utility if a motherfucker tries to grapple you when you're busy doing something else without having Athletics proficiency.
>>
>>55219070
Each of the provisions sets also has some currency to go with it. For Drow they decided on gemstones.
>>
>>55219313
UAs are released on Tuesdays. What does a Monday holiday have to do with a Tuesday release?
>>
>>55219419
Forest gnome seems also like a good choice, but the 25 feat of movement could hurt.

As forest Gnome I could use the 14 for int and a 15 for dex, giving me +3 in both. Then at level 4 I could get resilient Con to get to +3 as well and better saving throws to hold concentration. After that I would put my ASI into Int probably.
>>
>>55219342
This guy does 18th century cooking, but a lot of the methods were established earlier and could work for d&d tech levels. If you search for soldier food, rations or frontier you'll find some good food that also lasts.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

Enjoy your meal anon.
>>
>>55219456

They take the whole week off I think, because their job is that low effort.

Also something about morale idfk.
>>
>>55219466
There's a feat specifically for 25 speed little races to bump them to 30.
>>
Considering running the lost mines of Philadelphia as my first foray into 5e DMing. I know there's roughly a 75% chance at least one of my players will read (or already has read) the module though.

What changes to the plot could I make to keep them on their toes? Maybe make Mr. Green Dragon into a Copper one or something?
>>
>>55219524
What feat do you mean? Mobile gives 10 feat.
>>
>>55219572
Squat Nimbleness
UA Feats for Races
>>
>>55219552
use bruce springsteen as background music.

make a tom hanks npc and have the party fight against the discrimination he's facing because of his aids.
>>
Guys I am having some trouble balancing encounters, I think I have given an item too powerful for a lvl 3 party.

So my party was bartering in a magical shop for a lower price on health potion but the Yuanti Swashbuckler who has expertise in persuasion rolled a nat 20 so the vendor offered to give them free of charge a holy avenger greatsword which the Paladin of the group is using right now.

He is totally obliterating zombies and skeletons right now, what the fuck should I do?
>>
>>55219313

>fun
>FUN

Mearls pls.
>>
>>55219552
Dont tell them what you are running.

Change venomfang to another dragon type just in case a smart fag picks a race with poison resistance.

Change magic items place or the dungeons
>>
>>55219608
I recommend not shitposting on /5eg/ or a lobotomy. Preferably both.
>>
File: DC_-_Group_Shot.png (7MB, 4270x2400px) Image search: [Google]
DC_-_Group_Shot.png
7MB, 4270x2400px
/5eg/ I need your help.

I wanted to run a classic dungeon crawler for my gaming group, to break from the more fixed story formula. Live in a hub town, hear about rumors, explore ruins, all that. I also want it to have the closest feel to OSR I can manage, but I have no idea how to achieve that using 5e. What pointers could you give me? Help in any aspect of it would be appreciated.
>>
>>55219608
1st) Learn from your mistake. Persuasion isn't a mind control. Natural 20 on skill check doesn't do anything special, there is no such a thing as critical success for ability check.

2nd) Come up with a way to reduce the holy avenger power and use it as a next story hook. Maybe it is an intelligence item and now refuse to use its full power until it fulfilled its purpose? Maybe some demon/devil curse it and they have to find a way to remove the curse?
>>
>>55219221
Oracle who saw a terrible future, and will sacrifice anything and anyone in order to prevent it.
>>
>>55219221

Researcher who saw a Great Old One and is intent of driving civilization back to the stone age, so that the Great Old One doesn't notice humanity and destroy it.
>>
How powerful is this for a lvl 7 bladesinger:

Longsword +1, finesse, once a day can attack with advantage

Also I don't know what to give to my sorcerer, I want to give him an item that he will use better than a bladesinger, a moondruid or a battlemaster. My party shares everything and they don't care about who has more items, they just optimize as a party, because of that the druid has 2 out of the 3 magic items they have.
>>
>>55219274
Yeah, but I wanted more supernatural effects I guess. I think I'm going to go with the Blademaster by Rick Kittenhugs. It looks like a lot of fun.
>>
>>55219714

I'd say it's fine, balance wise, but it's a boring.
>>
>>55219714

Sorc could use a way to regain spell slots.
>>
>>55219714
What sort of sorcerer?

Some sort of CHA booster could work.
>>
>>55219714
Just give him item that can only be attune to Sorcerer
>>
>>55219714
A runestone that give sorcerer more spell known.
>>
>>55219714
>what to give my sorc
Either something that boosts his cha, a pearl of power, or something that once per day lets him add his cha mod to a spells damage.
>>
>>55219145
what kind of provision is this?
>>
>>55219852
the food kind
>>
>>55219714

How about this:

Mageblood Ring:

+1 to spell attack rolls and saving throw DC
As a bonus action you may expend hit die in order to gain a number of spell slots of total level equal to the number of hit die expended.
>>
A fun UA eh Mearls?

A fun little UA like the last two eh?
>>
>>55219822
Dragonblood one
>>55219876
Sounds really powerful
>>
>>55219952

Honestly? Sorcs need something really powerful, because they're shit at everything they do basically.
>>
>>55219985
>Not keeping a Twinned Haste/Subtle Counterspell Sorcerer slave

But no, he's right. Sorcs are garbage for anything other than twinned buffs
>>
>>55220016

Yup, unless you're abusing multiclass, which not all DM's allow, then you're basically only useful for twinning a couple of buffs.
>>
What's the consensus on Power Attack style feats like Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter?

Intuitively they seem too synergistic with their first and second abilities, especially once you're able to get advantage easily like a Barbarian can with Reckless Attack or through the Archery Fighting Style's bonus.

They seem to be more balanced in mid levels when +10 damage hurts but also won't one-shot things. I was thinking of adding a level requirement to those two Feats in particular, making people take them at level 8. Or allow them to be taken at level 4 but only one bullet points, with the other auto-unlocking at level 8.
>>
Hey /tg/ i need help naming the capital of my human run kingdom, suggestions?
>>
>>55219985
>>55220016
Blasting with empower metamagic is pretty good dbh
>>
>>55220050
just dont allow variant humans to take them.
>>
>>55220050
>What's the consensus on Power Attack style feats like Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter?
Two camps:

Martials need them

Broken feats that should be banned
>>
>>55219985
>>55220016
He dipped two levels in warlock and is doing the eldritch blast cheese, he is not a weak character
>>
>>55220054

Empower just lets you reroll your stuff, I feel wizard is still better for blasting since they not only get to maximise their damage, they also get access to Magic Missile, and because you only roll damage for magic missile once, the restrictions to adding int modifier aren't their, so all of your magic missiles add your int.
>>
>>55220076

If he's doing that, he should be fine and not really need any magic items. Give him something novelty like an inflatable wall or bagpipes of invisibility.
>>
>>55220080
You can only cheese with magic missiles at 10th level and max spell damage 14th

Too late for games
>>
Goddammit, SECOND TIME everyone's ready for death at the hand of attacking group and as I start to run, it turns out things might not be so bad.
>>
>>55220065
I think they are ok for martials as long as you follow the advice of >>55220062
The real problem is that not every weapon type has an equivalent. You have Polearm Master for most reach weapons, SS for ranged weapons and GWM for heavy weapons. But you don't have feats for versatile weapons (not counting shield master) or thrown weapons, and no good feats for dual wielding (the dual wielder feat is shit)
>>
So, let's name Xanathar confirmed subclasses

>Forge Cleric
>Inquisitve Rogue
>Cavalier Fighter
>Horizon Walker Ranger
>Circle of Dreams Druid

With *heavy* implications towards

>Storm Herald Barbarian
>Favored Soul sorcerer

Anyone else?
>>
>>55220065
>>55220062
>>55220109
Thanks. Is the implication that they're alright for level 4 and onwards (i.e. picked up instead of an ability score increase?)

What about the weapon feats in UA like Fell-Handed? Would those shore up the gap?
>>
>>55220080
I'd say a dedicated blaster sorc SLIGHTLY outperforms a wizard in that aspect but only just and it doesn't make up for their other shortcomings like their lack of ritual casting and super limited spell selection. The slightly touched up phoenix sorc I'm currently playing however is rad as fuck and turns strong mobs into fucking ashes in ways wizards couldn't hope to match.
>>
>>55220124
Swashbuckler and Arcane Archer
>>
>>55220136
>Swashbuckler

Wait, what? You mean the rogue we already have?
>>
>>55220145
Yes
>>
>>55220080
You only add your int modifier to all of the missiles if you spread them out.
>>
>>55220205
Crawford says you add it to each missile no matter the number of targets

Merls says you add it once to the total damage on each target.

But by the wording of the spell each missile deals 1d4+1 damage and evocation mage adds your intelligence to the damage roll, so 1d4+1+INT, and then each missile deals that much. It is only applied to the damage roll once.

In addition Agonizing Eldritch blast was ruled to add CHA to each missile even if they are on the same target so there is precedent for applying your modifier multiple times to the same target with the total number of missiles.
>>
>>55220145
They reprint some old but popular stuff too (so people won't have to flip through 3 books trying to find them). They don't count toward "25" new sub-classes though.
>>
>>55220247
So from what I understand the fact that magic missile use on roll for all missiles is a stupid change that only makes things more confusing for the sole sake of making a spell slightly more convenient?
>>
>>55219093
>>55219110
>>55219120
>>55219126
>>55219162
>>55219172
>reddit spacing
Leave pls
>>
>>55220247
>>55220205
Crawford said you roll for magic missile once. This is similar to how you only roll only one damage roll for fireball and apply that damage to every target. The different is that you can target the same enemy multiple time for magic missile.

That's why evocation wizard get to +INT to every missile.
>>
>>55220054
That's great, but it doesn't really compare to an Overchanneled Wall of Fire or a Magic Missile with +5 to each shot from Empowered Evocation. It doesn't really matter what Metamagics or spells you take, a Wizard will always do your job better than you. Quickened Spell + Sunbeam? Bigby's Hand is a bonus action on later rounds, and you don't even have to expend any resources other than the spell slot. Twinned Dominate Person? Split Enchantment, no cost.

It's not that they're bad. They're full casters, so they've obviously got tons of ways to deal with shit (and by 'tons' I mean 15, since that's all the spells they get). Wizards will always be better.
>>
>>55218180
It's next week. Today's Labor Day.
At this point I believe they've looked at the calendar and picked the weekday with most holidays to delay the disappointment.
>>
File: 1460916344488.png (47KB, 266x197px) Image search: [Google]
1460916344488.png
47KB, 266x197px
I'm going to be running a new campaign soon and we talked about doing something a bit more high powered than the usual adventurers with attitude thing so I have been toying with a retarded idea for a while now.
What would happen if I allowed characters to level up to the maximum of level 30? Like taking 20 levels in one class and another 10 in some other class.
I just have no idea how many problems would this create in practice other than the obvious enemy scaling issues and PCs having a ton of hp.
How dumb is this on the scale of original ranger to loremaster wizard?
>>
>>55220377
Yeah, it's apparently going to be a "Fun" UA.
>>
>>55220349
>>55220247
>>55220205
>>55220080
>>55220054
This is also how Nuclear Druid works.
>>
Is it possible to make a melee land druid? Maybe stealing booming blade / green-flame blade via magic initiate? Am I better off with Arcana Cleric?
>>
>>55220398

It's pretty dumb, also it's unlikely to ever be reached.

Look up Gestalt instead.
>>
>>55220404
Dragonlance Initiative
>>
>>55220409
I distinctly remembered nuclear Druid needing more than one target to work.
>>
>>55220438
Dark Sun Halfling Cuisine
>>
>>55220444
For or made of?
>>
>>55220308

Reddit spacing is two spaces, not one.

>For example

This is what a person from reddit does.

They leave two spaces between paragraphs.

This is because reddit uses markdown.
>>
>>55220438

Greyhawk Initiative Revised.
>>
>>55220124
Theurge Wizard seems very likely, it got revised.

Any thing that got revised has a high likelihood of reappearing in Xanthars.
>>
File: 1494885274351.png (281KB, 371x532px) Image search: [Google]
1494885274351.png
281KB, 371x532px
>>55219044
>>55219052
>>55219061
>>55219073
>>55219082
>>55219106
>>55219119
>>55219128
>>
>>55220521
no, it never get revise, only reprint.
>>
>>55220124
Not the revised ranger?
>>
>>55220448
Yes.

>>55220546
Watching this guy's videos brightens up my life.

>>55220473
Actually useful feats and options to create Defender role characters.
>>
>>55220559
Still counts.

Lore Wizard got torn apart, War magic was seen as weak and boring.

Theurge is going to be the one in Xanthars.
>>
>>55220572

Whip feat pls.
>>
>>55219106
aside from those berry looking things, the grasshoppers, and that saurkraut looking shit at the top, we actually for the most part eat this where i live (Louisiana).

TIL I'm a lizardman
>>
File: 1464398894692.gif (355KB, 250x183px) Image search: [Google]
1464398894692.gif
355KB, 250x183px
Any tips for roleplaying a tome warlock?

Im about to start on a 5e campaign for my first time.

So far i was thinking something along the lines of an scholar seeking out dark tomes and lore in the world. Ive settled on the elder gods as my patron.

But i would also appreciate tips on what spells to use? I think i might have to get used to how spell-slots works for this class. As far as i understand my main Dmg source is going to be the Eldricht-Beam buffed by invocations.
>>
>make a fighter
>Take Ritual Caster because I want set him up as an EK.
>At level 3, we are captured, due to a TPK scenario the GM turned into a hostage situation
>We lose all of our possessions
>People start gearing back up, and I say I need a new ritual book
>GM: "That's impossible unless you are a proper spell caster anon, besides you dont need it anymore, you got spells already!"
>End up having to leave because he refuses to budge, and wont even compensate for randomly making me lose a feat.

Fuck anybody who does this.

Don't ever "rescue" someone from a TPK, only to take away a large part of what made the character interesting. Then I would have preferred to see him die.
>>
>>55220639

GOO warlocks are pretty weak, you're better off going Fiend or Fey and just reflavoring it to be a GOO.
>>
>>55220676

What's stopping you buying a spellbook for 50gp?
>>
>>55220016
>sorc
>bad

Spotted the reading fag. I'm sorry you can't be as cool as this Pepsi generation of mages you old librarian hag.
>>
>>55220760
Is this a copypasta?
>>
Do you pretty much have proficiency in everything outside of combat with the Mystics Nomadic Mind focus?
>>
Guys, a need a name for shrines to a god of the wilds. Something short and snappy, "X" shrine.

Any ideas?

The god's focus is on hunting, meat, and rewarding those who are worthy to claim the land with agricultural benefit.
>>
File: Brad_RightThing.png (9KB, 372x310px) Image search: [Google]
Brad_RightThing.png
9KB, 372x310px
>>55220106
I got to be the boiling point of break-up in campaign of uphill battles. retreats. deaths, asshole characters (we haven't had a single character trying to shape party into something more than bunch of murderhobos who stay together for money) by running away under invis because orcs looked too tough (and a guy quoted the manual version orcs, instead they were dm'ed weaker ones). Damn, I feel like shit.
>>
>>55220891

The Glade
>>
>>55220911
Works for me, thanks mate.
>>
>>55220711
"I am not a proper spell caster"

Probably some retarded fa/tg/uy who parrots his wizard supremacy shit, and tries to shit on any "subwizard" that tries to replicate them.

Fuck you Frank.
>>
>>55220760
There's no need to be angry. What are you trying to compensate for?

Could it be your tiny spell list?
>>
File: freddykek.jpg (14KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
freddykek.jpg
14KB, 204x247px
>>55221019
spoilered bit got me
>>
>>55220993
Roll up a rebellious sorc who wants to dismantle all institutes of magical learning. After fighting any wizards, he takes their spellbooks and turns them into pyres, then burns their familiar on it.
>>
>>55220993
Speaking of ritual caster

My Arcane Trickster got a Ritual Book. I have not yet opened it, and my GM allows me 3 1st level rituals to go with the book. It is effectively the ritual book from the feat with wizard access only.

I am kind if lost on what to choose. What level 1 wizard rituals is good? I am getting 3, and 1 is going for a find familiar. What about the other two?
>>
>>55220016
Question. Are Sorcerers are actually bad, or are they just bad as long as there are wizards? I.e., assuming 5e didn't have a Wizard class at all, how would Sorcerers be?
>>
>>55221090
>MY GM TOOK AWAY MY FEAT, REEEE
>Oh yeah, speaking of ritual caster, I just got it for free!
Nice job rubbing salt into it, anon.
>>
>>55220676
Whats stopping you from multiclassing into Diviner with the Lucky feat and telling the DM to fuck off 5 times a day?
>>
>>55221103
Still worse than warlocks.

There is a reason people dip into it. Without Warlock, the sorcerer is just a buff bot, and kinda shitty at everything else.

You can sorta improve it by using spell points variant rules, and some of the UA are pretty decent, but with PHB only, they are shit.
>>
>>55221133
Paladin / Sorcerer is good though
>>
>>55221157
>Sorcerer is good if you multiclass
Yeah we know. It is good if you specifically make sure you aren't a sorcerer.
>>
>>55221113
Nothing, other than stroking my GMs wizard dick.
>>
>>55221090
Tenser's Floating Disk if you're a small race.
>>
>>55221157
Paladin with a *single* level of Sorcery is good.
>>
>>55221133
They can nova harder than any other class and are the only class that can cast any spell without being detectable in any way.
>>
>>55221103
Sorcerers are fine, it's just that there's no reason to play one when Wizards exist except for flavor or multiclass cheese. To compare:

Sorcs:
>Only full caster without rituals
>Have the least amount of spells known of any full caster. For reference, 1/3rd casters get 13 and the PHB Ranger gets 11. Warlocks also have 15+ their Mystic Arcanum and potential Invocation spells.
>Have no spells unique to them with the exception of the awful UA Chaos Bolt.
>Have the worst subclasses. Fireballing myself or taking myself out of combat for a minute? No thank you.
>Their spell list is extremely lacking
>The few tricks they can pull off are either resource-intensive (like Twinned Disintegrate and Sorc Points -> Slots), or very niche, like Subtle casting. Hell, even the signature Twin Haste gives you the chance to fuck up two of your party members if you lose concentration.

Wizards, by contrast:
>Can potentially know every spell on their list
>Can use rituals even if they aren't prepared
>Can prepare 27 spells at level 20.
>Have the objectively best spell list of any class
>Have some of the best archetypes (Diviner, Evoker, Lore and Theurgy if your DM is retarded) of any class.
>Get a 1st level and 2nd level spell as cantrips at 18th level (Shield and Misty Step?)
>Have more spell casts per day with Arcane Recovery
>>
Anyone know if/where I could buy bulk generic minis? I'm a new GM starting for my friends as new players and I'd like to be able to actually put enemies down on the table for them.
>>
>>55221409
Ebay, pretty much. Some local gaming stores might have a box of them.
>>
>>55221356
Why small specifically?

500 pounds should be enough for even the bigger races.
>>
>>55221399
>Only full caster without rituals
I wasn't aware Bard was a ritual caster class.
>>
>>55218180
How effective would Rogue 1/Fighter 5/Rogue X for a great dexy character be?
Want fighter for the style,action surge, second wind, extra attack, then rogue for evasion, sneak attack and skills
Grab Dual wielder with asi at fighter 4
Planning to mainly two-weapon fight.
>>
>>55221501
Because if you're 3 feet tall you can walk under it for cover
>>
Have anyone played a lightning theurg yet? Is it fun to throw high as fuck damage at people?
What cleric spells are worth getting? I will be lvl 9 so I can have access to 5th and lower. Anything especially good I am looking for?
>>
>>55221593
5 fighter is a LOT, esp when sneak is going to be your main source of dmg. Do reworked ranger instead, advantage on inisitiative is good for an assasin. And you can still pick up dual weilder for some extra dmg and an extra chanse of sneak if you miss your first attack
>>
>>55221513

Bard has Ritual Caster.

not saying it's viable, but they have it as an option.
>>
>>55221513
And now you are.
>>
How does the psychic focus of Nomadic Step work with the disciplines features that reduce your speed to 0?

Both last until the end of your turn, but one reduces your speed to 0, the other one increases it by 10.

To me it would make the most sense that you walking speed was 10 after teleporting in such a way.
>>
>>55221593
i think it's pretty good. i'd going fighter 5 first though, unless you're going 1 rogue for RP reasons.
>>55221639
if he's going 5 fighter he's got other ways to compensate for the lack of sneak attack damage, like extra attack, fighting style, and action surge.
>>
>>55221639
How would you recommend the format of levels go?
Rogue 2/Revised Ranger ??/Rogue x
>>
>>55221645
So do sorcerers.
>>
>>55221645
>>55221674
Cool. Gotta remind the groups Bard about this.
>>
>>55221679
Similar question for "There and back again" while focusing on Nomadic Step.
You first teleport 20 feet, and you can then move up to half your speed. Can you now move 20 feat ((30+10)/2)) or 25 feat (30/2+10)?

Second one would make more sense flavour wise (as you are still propelled) but it seems like the first one to me RAW.
>>
Is there some easy way to calculate the average damage of a monster's attack? I know either stomping or getting stomped by encounters in only a couple turns tends to be how they work out past like level 4, but I still wanna try making this fight cool but not a deathtrap.
>>
>>55221696
I could see Rogue 2/Ranger2/RougeX
Rouge2/Ranger3(hunter+hordebeaker)/RougeX
Rouge2/Ranger5 (hunter + hordebreaker)/RougeX

Tho once again 5 levels is a LOT of missing sneak attack dmg
>>
>>55221804
Culd also be done with archery for the handcrossbow abuse thing I guess.
>>
File: Pictor.png (709KB, 760x1424px) Image search: [Google]
Pictor.png
709KB, 760x1424px
>>55221724
Where?
>>
>>55221724

But they don't tho.
>>
>>55221800

The average of a die is half the maximum value + 0.5.

So the average of 6 is 3.5.

Flat bonuses increase the average by that bonus.

So for example a monster than can make an attack that deals 2d6+4 deals an average of 11 damage.

Cmon man you never did statistics?
>>
>>55221800
they give average damage for just about everything in the MM. if you're using homebrew monsters and don't know how to calculate the average damage, look here:
>>55221986
>>
Playing a full party of supremacist aaracockra when?
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 500x443px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 500x443px
What do you like to use as a focus?
>>
>>55222096
My staff of the magi
>>
File: 1501863018357.jpg (68KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1501863018357.jpg
68KB, 633x758px
>>55222096
a component pouch because that's the only focus EK/AT can use RAW
>>
>>55221986
I meant "counting multihits against an armored opponent over multiple rounds."
>>
>>55222096
my dick
>>
>>55222096
with bards and sorcerers I usually use something I fluffed up and pulled out of the characters backstory. With druids I go with something in tune with the theme of that druid and with warlocks its usually something symbolic of the signing of the deal or who it was made with. With an archfey of the frozen plains, it might be a vial of snow that never melts.
>>
>>55222123
Wow, I will be looking for one of those thru a quest. How good does it feel to suck up a bad guys spell?
>>
>>55222063
>GMing
>Party makes 4 birdies
>1 makes a halfling bard
>Bard piggybacks on the other characters, and is treated like a pet
That was such a fun and comfy group.
>>
>>55222125
I multiclass into Wizard out of principle
>>
>>55222165
>Bard Focus
>>
File: Sofya.png (388KB, 643x987px) Image search: [Google]
Sofya.png
388KB, 643x987px
I have a bit of a player's moral conundrum.

So in due course we'll be playing Curse of Strahd, and I kind of want to play a Church inquisitor/exorcist type character. I've been told by the DM that the whole of Curse of Strahd will take place "in universe", i.e., we'll all be playing natives of the Ravenloft setting, not people brought in from Faerûn or something, so I figured I'll probably be a follower of the Church of Ezra, which seems like the best fit for what I'm going for. Or maybe something along the lines of Bloodborne.

The problem is that, well...I could play a Ranger (UA Revised, of course). This seems like it would sort of fit the character's idea of someone who wants to hunt down evil. I could play a Cleric of Light or War. These fit in pretty well, too. I could even play a Paladin and smite all the evil.

The issue is that these all seem kind of...gamey. They're all really good against Undead, which I imagine there's a fair amount of in Curse of Strahd, and I kind of feel like I'm somehow cheating the system by rolling one up.

Thoughts? I could just go straight Fighter, maybe...
>>
>>55222178
It always felt semi-obligatory for a AT/EK.

You could get away with ritual caster (wizard), but it still seems like such a strong choice. Even just 2 levels is insanely good.
>>
>>55222173
better than a girl sucking up your dick
>>
>>55222125
Really where does it say that?
>>
>>55222189
Honestly anon, it being gamey doesn't make a big difference in CoS imo. My table were basically dedicated to Fuck Undead and we still are shit routinely because the adventure is designed to be difficult and challenging, and our DM refused to pull punches. We all had at least one dark gift by level 5. And that was probably my second favourite campaign I've ever played in, snacks were great and DM was total bro. But the difficult made it fun and actually balanced out how OP we bought we might be.
>>
How would you do arctic elves?
>>
>>55222189
I always felt that, a GM wishing to run CoS, should never tell his players about it before it was too late to change their mind.

I ran it once as a GM where the party was literally all clerics and Paladins, once with a GM who made same mistake as me, and got a similar party but with a druid (me), and the last GM who managed to spin CoS as not-CoS, so people showed up with the regular choices like fighter, wizard etc.

It was by far the best run I had. Telling people you are running CoS will make them all gravitate towards the classes good at dealing with the undead and wisdom saves. That's lame.
>>
>>55222231
It's more so where it doesn't say you get a spellcasting focus: Druid's, Clerics, etc. have sections specifically detailing what kind of focus they use for spells, but an EK doesn't, so...
>>
>>55222256
In a soup, with a few carrots and onions.

Makes for a nice stew to help combat the cold.
>>
>>55222256
>arctic elves
Really short
Proficiency in one set of crafting tools
Detect good/evil one a rest
>>
>>55222256
From behind.
>>
>>55222300
Best answer.
>>
>>55222256
Fuck I meant to say dwarves but I guess I have to put arctic elves in my setting as well
>>
>>55222213
Blade Wizardry for an AT or a Dexknight is pornographically amazing
>>
convince me valor bard isn't garbo. level 13 now, i feel no inclination to be in melee whatsoever
>>
>>55222276

>and the last GM who managed to spin CoS as not-CoS

Did he make it take place in Mexico?
>>
>>55222276 >>55222254
Yeah, speaking of...I already know that two of the party members are planning on rolling up a Paladin and a Druid, which, yeah, good at Wisdom saves...
>>
>>55222327

+1 Str
Resistance to cold damage.
>>
File: 1504273760608.png (4MB, 1920x1318px) Image search: [Google]
1504273760608.png
4MB, 1920x1318px
>>55222362
>>
File: Wizard musings.jpg (436KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard musings.jpg
436KB, 900x900px
>>55222356
Welcome to the full-caster life, friend.
>>
>>55222356
>Valor Bard
>Hit level 10
>Pick out Swift Quiver

Whats so hard to get here?
>>
File: 1503361408667.png (361KB, 459x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503361408667.png
361KB, 459x600px
>>55222383
>Ay Dios mío, There is no escaping the realm of Salazar de Lazaro, señors...
>>
>>55222356
>level 13 now
Wait one more level, you will get Battle Magic

also what this anon said>>55222396
>>
File: 1377373194118.jpg (70KB, 634x476px) Image search: [Google]
1377373194118.jpg
70KB, 634x476px
>no 5e songblades for bards
I'm legitimately disappointed.
>>
>>55220613
>berry looking things
THEY ARE BLACKBERRIES YOU FUCKING RETARD
>>
I now want to run a mexican CoS.

Instead of Ravenloft being all dreary and shit it's festive and every day is Dia De Los Muertos.
>>
>>55222412
We'll deport all you vampire scum from this plane, juan by juan!
>>
>>55219073
>>55219082
>elves and gnomes just walkin' around with fish in their bags
S T O P
>>
File: unknown[1].png (8KB, 387x43px) Image search: [Google]
unknown[1].png
8KB, 387x43px
excerpt from a player and DM (both new) discussing a character in their game. I'm just not going to ruin this for them
>>
>>55221768
>>55221679
Noone?
>>
>>55219320
Bugs.
It's a bunch of bugs.
>>
>>55222480
I'd figure it would still be dreary, but in a sandy and windswept kind of way, rather than a foggy an wet one. And Strahd has, like, thirty or so minions who serve him as banditos. And it's up to you and your six companions to save the village of Barovia. It's poor, so it can't offer you much more than food while you're there, but you'll be helping the farmers.
>>
>>55222529
>drawing 10 thrown weapons in one turn
ISHYGDDT
>>
I bet Tiefling food would be good.

I feel like it'd be practically mexican food.
>>
File: 1488062193442.jpg (562KB, 956x1127px) Image search: [Google]
1488062193442.jpg
562KB, 956x1127px
>>55222356
ok how about the revised college of swords bard?
>>
>>55222573
Nah, Vietnamese all the way
>>
>>55222561

Yeah, I also feel like the undead would be more Skeletal as opposed to zombies.
>>
>>55222254
Ray of frost cantri
>>
>>55222570
Any DM that doesn't handwave the weapon draw restrictions for people who want to dual wield or throw weapons is a fucking clod and you're better off at any other table.
>>
>>55222608

I feel like it's a start at making TWF a little more viable, but it still needs something more.

I feel it'd be better to disconnect it from bonus action, instead having it say

>Whenever you take the attack action to make an attack with a one handed weapon, you may make an additional attack with a light weapon in your offhand, you do not add your modifier to this attack.
>>
>>55222608
For two weapons I agree, but 10 is just dumb
>>
File: dio.jpg (332KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dio.jpg
332KB, 1920x1080px
>>55222639
It isn't overpowered in any way, and just forcing realism on "y-you can't draw 10 weapons in 6 seconds!" because they want to do something cool-looking is even dumber.
>>
>>55222639

I don't really see why. That same character could draw 9 arrows from a quiver, and that works for some reason.
>>
>>55222639
Fuck your sense realism, this is a fantasy game about beefy Barbarians who die less because they're angry and take nine swords to the gut without breaking a sweat and flying lizardmen who shoot fire out of their ass. It's heroic fantasy. It's Conan and an 80s action movie, not the most boring parts of Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings. Shit, even LotR would let Legolas throw 20 fucking knives if he wanted.

The game explicitly allows you to fire nine arrows in a round, so you may as well throw nine handaxes. It's not any more powerful mechanically.
>>
>having 8 Int means I can cast Fireball and Polymorph
>having 18 Strength means I've got a 25% chance of knocking over this bookcase when I roll for it
Do we really wanna go down this road again
>>
>>55222225
excuse me
>>55222222
>>
>>55222750
>DC 20 to knock over a bookcase
Nigga I will NOT get baited by this shit again
>>
>>55222750
>DC 10 dex for half
>DC 10 Wisdom to resist
Well meme'd
>>
>>55222256
Falmer?
>>
>>55222096
Reliquary. Clerics who use holy symbols are boring.
>>
>>55222811
>Fireballing creatures when your DM, like 95% of them, assumes that a spell called FIREBALL and is explicitly just a rolling flame that goes around corners will deal explode with massive concussive force and do serious structural damage like it's a fucking chunk of C4
>polymorphing enemies
>>
>>55222757
I was 3 off from a sextuple get, so what?
>>
>>55222396
Swift Quiver isn't even that good, I don't know why people are wanking over it.
>>
>>55222573
Tieflings don't have a society or culture of their own.
>>
Are there good third party supplements?
>>
>>55222750
Knocking over a bookcase wouldn't need a roll let alone a DC 20 one (your modifier isn't your chance of passing a DC 20 roll btw)
>>
File: smallsword.jpg (112KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
smallsword.jpg
112KB, 532x800px
>>55222096
I paid 100 gp to have a special shortsword made with an arcane focus built into the pommel for my arcane trickster
>>
>>55222901
Agreed and I say this as a longbow Valour Bard. Why bother with 2 extra 1d8+5 shots when I can get Misty Step, Counterspell, Disintegrate and Banishing Smite at level 14 plus a bonus action attack?
>>
>>55222939
>he typed, ignorant of how the majority of DMs operate
>>
>>55222096
I killed component pouches and mandated all casting of any type must have a focus, but it needn't be held as long as it's externally accessible and visible.

The Sorcerer casts with his gun.
The Bard casts with a Bible on a belt loop.
The Rogue and Paladin can't cast yet so I don't know what they're going to do. I assume the Paladin will use his spooky sword.
>>
The UA surely can't be worse than Three Pillars and Mearls' Initiative, right?
>>
>>55223014
Wait till next week and we'll see.
>>
>>55218843
You see Billy, when a DM and an idea love each other very much, they sometimes get together and make OP items completely unfitting with your current team.
>>
>>55222634
So TWF Fighters would eventually get 8 attacks per round? Would there still be a way to add your modifier to your offhand attacks? If so, OP.
>>
>>55223024
>level 20
>anything a pure martial does capable of being OP
>>
>>55223024
>OP
>Compared to GWF/PM+GWM
You okay? You're not having a seizure or something?
>>
>>55222096
>Wizard
Something that fits the school
>Bard
Component pouch
>Cleric
Shield emblem

No other casters are worth playing
>>
>>55222991

Just let them use their weapon.
>>
>>55223024

N, they'd be able to make one extra attack, whenever they took the Attack action.

Extra attack doesn't give you an extra attack action, it just makes your attack action take more attacks.

In this case you'd still only get 1 attack (Unless you use action surge), however it doesn't eat your bonus action.
>>
>>55223042
It's OP as soon as Extra attack comes online if you can add your mod - 4 attacks at +3/+4 each at level 5, 6 at +4/+5 at level 11. You're adding GWM levels of damage every turn without having to take the -5 to hit.
>>
>>55222991
Paladins can paint their holy symbol on things. That works.
>>
>>55223112
Paladins don't need gods or to be holy anymore and this Paladin doesn't even have an Oath; he's a Hexblade.

He's either gonna use his Hexblade weapon or a piece of a train.
>>
>>55223102
Read
>>55223101

Extra attack doesn't let you take take the attack action more than once, it just lets you make more attacks when you take the attack action.
>>
>>55223136
Regardless of whether or not they have a god, they still have a holy symbol. It's just not necessarily a god's holy symbol.

It's like how you have a divine power source despite not being divine in any way
>>
Going to play a Theurgy Wizard of the Life Domain for my next character, a worshipper or Ilmater. What spells does everyone recommend? I'm going to make sure I get every Domain spell asap. Right now I have planned to take Mage Armor, Shield, Find Familiar, Magic Missile, Sleet Storm, Cure Wounds, Gentle Repose, Revivify, Spiritual Weapon, Ray of Sickness, M's Minute Meteors, Bless, Rope Trick, and Leomund's Tiny Hut. I'm basically gonna be support and healing for the entire party. One of our players is an Arcane Trickster and he has a familiar already but I thought two would be helpful. The Rope Trick and Tiny Hut are for safe and secure rests both short and long. Sleet Storm and Ray of Sickness are nice control and debuffs. Spiritual Weapon is a fun little spell that I like a lot, but it somewhat conflicts with Minute Meteors and I'm thinking I should drop Minute Meteors. Any advice here would be appreciated.
>>
>>55223150
It says "you CAN use a holy symbol", not that it's your default even if you don't have a God.
A Paladin with nothing holy about them doesn't need a holy symbol, they can either cast non-material spells or use a component pouch.
>>
>>55223136
A piece of a... Train? Like the vehicle? He's a Choo Choo Paladin? Is his name Thomas?
>>
>>55218180
My dear friends, I have a problem.

I have a warlock with the moonbow. My dex is quite low though. I this class just to fuck shit up and get away with it. Change faces, drop friends, mirror self and what not. However, my moonbow is lacking in accuracy.

What side-class would help me out here? I'm stuck between ranger for spell slots and archery, and rogue for expertise and sneak attacks.
>>
>>55223237
He's a ye olde (Spanish) knight who was Petrified back in the olden days and was recently Stone-to-Fleshed, only to find himself a few hundred years in the future where fucking trains are all over the place. He thinks they're rad, because of course a dude from the middle ages would think a giant metal beast that belches smoke and goes a bajillion miles an hour is the sickest shit imaginable.

So he hires himself out to protect trains from banditos and shit.
>>
>>55223278
Fighter. Only a 1 level dip for Archery style.
>>
>>55223278
Raise your dex maybe? Or go 1 level in fighter for archery.
>>
>>55223288
This character is awesome! Your campaign sounds awesome.
>>
>>55223278
None of the above. If you want accuracy, you need more Dex, period. Which means you need ability score increases. Which means multiclassing will be detrimental as it'll set back your next ASI. I suppose two levels of Fighter would be best. You get Archery fighting style, Action Surge which synergizes SO well with Warlocks, and Second Wind if I recall correctly.
>>
>>55223288
That's badass. I like the sound of your campaign's setting. Like fantasy wild west, that's fucking cool.
>>
>>55223312
>>55223301
>>55223297
So Fighter it is. Besides archery, I'd also get access to decent armour. Which can be concealed by a mask of many faces, and can be very useful when pissing off the royal guard.
>>
>>55223237
https://youtu.be/3NIg0vOetHo?t=503
>DM tells you to roll initiative
>sets this on the table
What do you do
>>
>>55222935
>>
>>55223380
Take my personal minis off the table and start using quarters
>>
>>55223380
Use the Tiefling Ilmater worshipper as a shield and pray.
>>
>>55223380
Tell him to piss off
>>
>>55223380
I cast fist. As in I punch the train and the DM for melting the stuff I've spent money on
>>
How often do you kill players?
Sometimes i fudge damage when i think the enemies got out of hand but i think that can make the players don't take decisions like running

what do you think?
>>
What's the maximum amount of damage a mystic can do with a single attack?
Lethal strike? 7d10 + 2d8+ weapon + ability modifier?
>>
>>55223616
As often as the enemies would? It isnt me vs them, its them vs the enemies. so far they are level 8 and havent been killed, but downed plenty. But in my other game where I'm a player not a DM we have had 2 deaths and we are at level 7.
>>
>>55219126
I'm vaguely curious what you're expecting. These are supposedly meant to reflect rations - so they aren't super amazing meals, they are things that can be carried fairly well. People don't usually get super excited about rations - they keep you alive.
>>
>>55220131
Personally I like spear master feat, but none of the feats are as powerful as the previously mentioned feat. Though felhanded is pretty good.
>>
>>55223659
I'm unsure if you can combine lethal strike with animate weapon. If yes that would be it. Maybe someone can confirm this?
>>
>>55220440
It does not. Nuclear Druid works best when combo'd with a cleric that gives weakness, that might be what you're thinking.
>>
>>55223616
I hate when my DM fudges because he does it so obviously
>>
>>55223668

They're not even good rations, all of that shit is perishable.
>>
>>55223753
It seems to me that they stack so that's a nice 14d10 for a single strike.
>>
>>55222608
A few threads back someone mentioned a house rule of allowing light weapons to be drawn without spending an object interaction (making them free actions effectively), and damn did I like it.
>>
>>55223616
I never fudge dice, but I make sure my players have a ballpark idea of how powerful the enemies are and make sure they know retreating is a valid action. I've killed PCs when they've gotten in over their heads or decided to stand their ground in losing battles.

That said I do slowly tune my encounters to my current party over time. Some groups of players are very tactical and I need to put in more monsters and interesting abilities to engage them, others are happy to stand in front of an ogre and whack each other's XP off.
>>
>>55223801
You could then also activate knock back with your reaction and deal up to another 7d6 damage
>>
>>55223753
RAW, yes, at least the way Mystic is currently written.

It's one of the first things I'd expect a sane DM who worries about that to alter, though.
>you need to maintain physical contact to keep Lethal Strike running and Animate Weapon is busy throwing it
>you can't hold two separate psionic charges on the same "swing"
>fuck you Brad don't do that
or something
>>
>>55223753
>>55223801
>>55223826
It also seems like RAW you could first paralyze the target and then get a RANGED auto crit as the animate weapons says it's a melee attack even if it has range.
>>
>>55223844
211 maximum damage on crit.
>>
>>55223832
To be honest it isn't even that broken, you spend 14 Psi for an attack that could potentially miss, and has no other effects except damage.
>>
Question to the DMs: How much information do you give players about your campaign before it starts? To be more specific: Published adventures, especially ones like CoS that basically drag them into a pocket realm removed from the places their backstories likely focus them on.

Do you just tell them "hey dudes going to be a CoS game"?
>>
>>55223616
I fudge damage in 3.5 to avoid things like 20 hp->instadeath due to a crit or something, leaving player 1 hitpoint away from expiring, but this isn't the case in 5e, so at most if the fight turns out much harder than I expected, I adjust the enemies max hitpoints to make it a bit shorter.

I rarely do it anyway, because I tend to hit the spot I want to hit with the difficulty, which means death happens from time to time due to lots of bad luck or due to poor tactical choices. For example I recently had a "TPK" because the players charged in without a plan against strong and numerous enemies, and got flanked. Quotation marks around TPK because after they were all down, I had the enemies loot what they thought were the corpses and drop them off at the body pile. Most of the party stabilized and escaped though there were 2 casualties.
>>
>>55223803
I gave the player a magic short sword that can be drawn for free. It's a minor magical effect but it'll make being a rogue more fun.
>>
I've been thinking about Sorcerers. Instead of restricting them in total number spells known, they should have been restricted to schools where they can only draw their spells from based on their Sorcerous Origin.

I'd give each Origin two schools to choose from and a 1-3 spells known from outside of the wizard spell list.

For example,
Draconic Bloodline: Transmutation and Evocation
Wild Magic: Random (roll on a chart)
Favored Soul: Divination and Evocation
Shadow: Illusion and Enchantment
Stone: Abjuration and Transmutation
Storm: Evocation and Conjuration
Sea: Transmutation and Evocation
Phoenix: Enchantment and Evocation

It'd be pretty easy to fashion other sorcerous origins if you tried to just fill in a matrix of Spell Schools.
>>
>>55223014
Do you really thinkg Three Pillars were that bad? Of course, they were underwhelming, but nowhere near as bad as Greyhawk Initiative.
>>
>>55223909
Also, they shouldn't be able to cast outside of their schools, ever. Even with multiclassing.
>>
>>55223912
http://www.strawpoll.me/13650835/r
Honestly I thought it was somewhat ok. Don't think it needed its own Ua though
>>
>>55219044
Drow food looks tasty as fuck to be honest. Those mushrooms...
>>
>>55224058
>Drow trying to be seductive with breath that reeks of mushroom, fish egg, and snails
>>
>>55223912
Given most people use milestone, it was useless.
>>
>>55223616
>How often do you kill players?
Never, as much as I want to sometimes. Don't want to go to jail.
>>
>>55224072
>implying that's not my fetish
>>
File: Drow rolls to seduce.gif (2MB, 430x415px) Image search: [Google]
Drow rolls to seduce.gif
2MB, 430x415px
>>55224072
That's not even the worse part.
>>
>>55224113
>the only thing stopping me from being a homocidal maniac is the threat of punishment
Found the Christian
>>
File: Screenshot_20170816-225428.png (671KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170816-225428.png
671KB, 1280x720px
Dunno if you guys have ever seen this website but themonstersknow.com is an amazing resource for DM's at all experience levels. I'm quite impressed, the guy goes very in-depth about tactics strategy and role play of the monsters.
>>
>>55224138
>implying that's not my fetish too
>>
>>55224172
Why are you trying to start a religious argument on /tg/? Don't you know we're all godless heathens?
>>
>>55221593
Remember that you can only sneak attack once a turn anon
>>
>>55224216
Excuse me but if you don't worship Ilmater then that's okay I understand, have a nice day. We're here to help anyone regardless.
>>
>>55224234
Extra attack is still good on Rogues since it gives you an extra chance to land your sneak attack if you happen to miss.
>>
>>55224184
>Fetish for women with grey skin, a sadistic streak a mile wide, mushroom & caviar breather who keep spiders in their cheeks like fucked up hamsters

You may want to prepare yourself to die with your fantasies unfufilled.
>>
File: rations bugbear.jpg (139KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
rations bugbear.jpg
139KB, 500x453px
>>55219128
final pic of the set
>>
How do I balance the game for shorter adventuring days? I only have four hours in the evening and I'm running online (so rate of play is definitely slower than real life). It looks to me like my primary lever is going to have to be increasing the difficulty of my encounters so that instead of 6-8 medium ones I used 3 or 4 hard / deadly encounters.
>>
File: rations skeleton.jpg (17KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
rations skeleton.jpg
17KB, 620x387px
>>55224276
nevermind i found more
>>
>>55224291
Doot doot
>>
File: rations tiefling.jpg (69KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
rations tiefling.jpg
69KB, 800x557px
>>55224291
>>
>>55224264
Silly anon, don't you know they keep them in their vagina?

>>55224287
You know 1 session doesn't have to equal 1 day right? Just make multiple sessions take place over the same day.
>>
>>55224072
>>55224138
>fuckin surface normies who aren't floored by the weight of their boner when their filthy smelling spider voring mistress flaunts her superiority in front of them
>>
>>55219142
I hope you have a nice lunch anon, cheers!
>>
>tfw dm is almost an hour late to the session and hasn't communicated with us since last session
bad feels man.
>>
File: 1503690982922.jpg (104KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1503690982922.jpg
104KB, 400x300px
>>55224638
Don't worry you could be in my position where it's three players wait on one because two of them decided to make their characters together in some way and one just hasn't. It's been five months
>>
>>55224313
I'm doing West Marches, so each session encompasses travelling out to the site of adventure (and possible random encounters), whatever progress they make on the adventure, and then the return trip (and possible random encounters). That's probably easily 2 to 3 days.
>>
>>55224183
>It encourages flanking

Utter garbage. Makes for some good ideas though
>>
>>55224247
So wait, you if attack twice, and you attempt to sneak attack with first, but miss, you can attempt it again? I thought it counted even if you missed. Nice one.
>>
>>55226656
Sneak Attack is something you can trigger. It's not something you spend. It can only be triggered once per turn.
Thread posts: 371
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.