[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 408
Thread images: 34

File: RiverRex.jpg (73KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
RiverRex.jpg
73KB, 800x500px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55178192

Do dinosaurs exist in your setting? Are they secluded to a "lost world" trope island or are they accepted as "normal" creatures?
>>
Fucking hell. The previous thread got archived literally seconds before I could post the link.
>>
>>55188180
they're Yuan-Ti war-beasts, obiously.
>>
>>55188180
Question for anyone who has used Mercer's Blood Hunter class, if you are a Profane Soul Blood Hunter and multiclass into Warlock what is your spellcasting modifier for your spells?
>>
>>55188173
>There's nothing wrong with picking humanoids, it was changed to be that way so you didn't pick Orcs then get shafted when your DM never introduces Orcs into their game. It's a defining class trait it's supposed to be useful without you having to pry info out of the DAM at level 1
One of the things I like about the Revised Ranger is that there's an escalation scale to favored enemies.
That way you don't have a guy with Aberrations for favored enemies and his feature just ends up monstrously useless till it reaches higher levels of play.
>>
Any speculations on which UA subclasses will make it into Xanathar's?
>>
>>55188180
>Do dinosaurs exist in your setting? Are they secluded to a "lost world" trope island or are they accepted as "normal" creatures?
They're a rarity and are usually found in vast, hot jungles where men rarely dare to tread.
Had a bunch of kobolds manage to tame some dromaesaurids at one point to use against player characters. The players all thought it was a really cool encounter.
>>
>>55188229
Wisdom for your Profane Soul spells and Charisma for your Warlock spells

It's like playing an Eldritch Knight and a Ranger mĂșlticlass
>>
>>55188242
Yeah I think the scaled choices were a great idea. No pressure to pick dragons or abberations early on like you said

Overall I think Revised Ranger is one of the best UAs they've put out
>>
>>55188253
Lore wizard. :^)
>>
File: Blood Hunter + Warlock.png (408KB, 746x242px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Hunter + Warlock.png
408KB, 746x242px
>>55188262
Even with this wording?
>>
Requesting lost artifacts of greyghast
>>
>>55188293
The loss of favored terrain in favor of some very powerful general outdoor boosts kind of makes it OP in my opinion, but otherwise it's solid.
But I have no problems with the base PHB ranger.... I have one player using it in my group and I offered the Revised one to him but he declined, and he's still quite an efficient martial.
>>
File: spawn of kyuss.jpg (103KB, 363x866px) Image search: [Google]
spawn of kyuss.jpg
103KB, 363x866px
What's an enemy you want to throw at your party, but haven't yet?

I'm building a dungeon entirely around the fact that I want my players to fight one of these
>>
>>55188333
PHB Ranger is fine for the Hunter Archetype, but Beastmaster was pretty lame. You're basically a Pokemon trainer who sits in the background shouting commands instead of fighting.

I think the powerbump in UA just makes the Ranger less reliant on knowing what kind of campaign it's going to be.
>>
>>55188322
wtf is this convoluted garbage
>>
>>55188253
I'm hoping stone sorcerer, hexblade, kensei, and arcane archer get in
>>
>>55188253
I hope knight will in some form, but it probably won't. Fucking cavalier is confirmed though. Literally worse battlemaster.
>>
>>55188428
I know right, I'm trying to make sense of it.

Do you keep your Warlock Spells and Blood Hunter spells? What about cantrips? Are these separate spell list?
>>
>>55188413
Comically enough I have a PHB Beast Master ranger in the party too (she really wanted a fighting spider and I wasn't giving her one free so...) and she just... fights, and the spider hangs in the back or gets hit and does nothing.
>>
My party has gotten themselves into some pretty hot water. What do you do when different players in one session, piss off an ancient red dragon by breaking a contract, hide truth in court, expose truth in court and humiliate another player, run drugs for criminal organization but it was actually the exchange of a powerful artifact, be hunt down by the same criminal organization, go to meet a contact who would help them along their way but end up pissing him off and then eventually killing and burning down his home (there's also enough information to start an investigation on this). The party is probably on their way to fucking killing eachother soon and they haven't even gotten to act 4 of Storm King's Thunder.
What the fuck do I do? A group of them are planning to kill the druid who has broken his contract with a dragon and also spilled every secret the party had in court. The wizard is thinking of bolting. Two new PCs just want to hunt down giants for her Homeland and probe himself to his master.
They all have reasoning to continue hunting and dealing with the Giants they've just all gotten in to hot shit.
>>
Never played before.
Can I play a coward of noble family (a rich, spoiled boy) and not be That Guy?
>>
>>55188595
Noble background bruh
>>
>>55188595
Depends, what would you be doing if there's a fight? Remember, the party need a reason to keep you around when they're adventuring
>>
>>55188546
I did something similar when I played PHB Beastmaster, but I made myself a Halfling so I could at least ride the Spider and get some ranged advantage from it's Climb speed
>>
>>55188432
I reckon Kensei will, they decided to revise it after all
>>55188317
Maybe if they nerf it a bit
>>
>>55188595
As long as you aren't going against what the party wants to do, you're fine.

Any archetype can be "That Guy" depending on the group. Playing a lawful good paladin will probably end up as one if your party decides they want to do an evil campaign

But remember, if you aren't going to be fighting, your party will leave you. Why would that character join a group of adventurers, what ties him to the party, and how will they act in battle?
>>
>>55188595
If you're skittish in social encounters then it's probably fine, but if your group is getting it's ass kicked and you run away or freeze up, you are officially That Guy. Just be the guy that charges into battle cowering, with tears flying out everywhere as you wildly swing your weapon at the baddies.
>>
in an evil campaign, what class/specialization should I go for if my character's goal is a small domain of isolation from anyone different than himself, populated by either constructs or beings totally loyal and in agreement with him?
>>
>>55188574
TPK and start over.

Alternatively, go totally off the SKT rails and make your own campaign.
>>
>>55188722
>constructs
artificer
>beings totally loyal and in agreement
necromancer
>>
>>55188362
Seems like fun.
>>
>>55188723
I'm thinking about it, but jesus. It's also sad when they all seem to be having a good time. Also they all want to continue dealing with giants for their own reasons so I don't want to just end it.
>>
What dip should I take to make sorcerer better?
>>
>>55188815
Warlock 2 + agonizing meme invocation to get the best attacking cantrip, and also whichever other invocation seems attractive to you
>>
>>55188815
Honest answer?
See if the DM will let you use the spellpoints variable.

Otherwise quick casting.
>>
>>55188229
>read through the start
>it's literally a Witcher ripoff
wew
also, any place you can get that shit for free?
>>
File: 1390369534234.png (158KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1390369534234.png
158KB, 300x300px
>>55188815
Dip into acid bath, should yield good results
>>
>>55188613
His motivation is making a name from himself, so he will fight if needed. He'll be an archer too, so I have an excuse to shoot arrows from afar.
>>
>>55188881
As long as he doesn't go against what the party wants to do, you're good.
>>
>>55188838
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class?sb=1

>>55188322
>>55188528
Still trying to understand this whole spellcasting thing. Why would this class give the warlock more cantrips but not spells known? Also what spellcasting stat are you using are they still separate spell list?
>>
>>55188838
>it's literally a Witcher ripoff
That's literally what it was made to be sooo
>>
>>55188922
Oh I never noticed it's pay what you want
>>55188932
well yeah, I noticed that
>>
>>55188815
warlock gets you laser spam, wizard rituals and short rest spell slots to turn into SP so you can spam lasers better

paladin make you a gish

bard barely effect your spell progression but gets you some cool utility for when you aren't casting but I'm not sure if the bard list really wants anything from the sorcerer one

If you want to be really cheesy you could do paladin 5/hexblade 5/sorcerer X and roll all the dice in one round of nova but that's probably not actually a good idea
>>
How would stat addiction/withdrawls? One of my players wants to play a struggling cannibal, who keeps his urges down with alchohol. Im gonna have him roll a wis save every morning to determine if he has urges or not, but how should I stat the human meat withdrawls. I want it to be different than the poisoned status that ill be using for drunkeness
>>
File: Screenshot_20170902-134935.jpg (740KB, 1065x1514px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170902-134935.jpg
740KB, 1065x1514px
On a tickle of a thought, I figured it would be fun to try converting several Pokemon into monsters, imagining that in a fantastic world, they'd make for more fun fights than mundane beasts. But then on a cursory google search, I found someone had already made the whole Kanto pokedex.

imgur.com/a/eOFsi

Is anyone familiar with it and have any thoughts? If I tackle a similar project myself I'd want to try and fix any faults in this one.

Has anyone ever tried to blend Pokemon and DND in any sense?
>>
What's the best school for buffing allies? Transmutation?

My character had twins: one is a dexy EK the other is a wizard, I thought it would be cute for them to have a very complimentary style of fighting.
>>
Can you justify a sorcerer/wizard fluff wise?
>>
>>55189156
Very easily. Guy has inborn magical ability and can draw on it like a sorceror, but also pursues magic academically and can cast some stuff through sheer practice and mastery.
>>
>>55189156
Someone who discovers their innate magical talents and then devotes their life to studying the arcane in order to master them?
>>
>>55189156

Pretty easily, guy found out he as ancestry and went to on to study genealogy in order to try and uncover more of his power.

personally I don't give a damn about the fluff though, only if the character is fun to play, and a sorc/wiz multiclass is going to be super hard to pull off due to how MAD it is.

Are you just dipping sorc for metamagic or something?
>>
>>55189043
WIS save for mental addiction, CON save for physical addiction.

>Symptoms may include headaches, nausea, tremors, anxiety, hallucinations, and seizures.

Seems to me like the poisoned condition would work, but if you want it to be different, give him disadvantage on Wisdom and Charisma checks. If it gets really severe, give him CON saves to see if he literally starts dying from withdrawal.
>>
>>55189095
Transmutation for the stat altering stuff (bull's strength, Cat's Grace, Eagle's Dick), Abjuration for Protection buffs (from Energy, or Alignments), Divination for detection buffs (True Sight and the like).
>>
>>55189190
>a sorc/wiz multiclass is going to be super hard to pull off due to how MAD it is.
You need what, 3 stats? And that assumes you want equally good INT and CHA instead of using one of your classes for all the support stuff that doesnt really care about rolling dice?
>>
>>55189230

You already need 3 stats to be a good wizard:
INT, DEX, CON

Then if you go sorc you're going to need CHA for most things (attack rolls, saving throw DCs)
>>
>>55189285

What if they only used utility spells as a Wizard? They pump CHA for their attack and saving throw spells, but choose Wizard spells that are just as effective with 20 INT or 2.

And if they choose Stone Sorcerer, DEX is less important because you get unarmored defense from CON, if I remember right.
>>
>>55189190
>>55189230
>>55189285
with point buy a half elf can do 8/12/12/16/12/16, assuming you even need both casting stats maxed out and don't settle for 14 int or something and just use stuff that doesn't need numbers

>>55189336
>multiclassing with UA

if that's alllowed you have no reason to not go favored soul instead so you can be a mystic theurge wannabe
>>
>>55189336

Why would you dump int and take more sorc? Sorc is a weak class, and 1-2 levels of wiz aren't going to do much for you
>>
For a paladin/sorcerer, what class should I start with?
>>
>>55189707
Paladin gives more health, better armor profs and better saving throws.
>>
Am I missing something, or do you have no reason to use attack cantrips over just using a bow?

>>55189765
con save is the single most important save for someone who wants to cast spells and also be in melee
>>
>>55189793
Anon, just for starters, it's extremely likely that your casting stat is better than your dex.
>>
>>55189793
Casting stat is better. Cantrips can have varied effects. Eldritch Blast, for example, is way fucking better than just shooting something with a bow. Look at how they scale.
>>
>>55189833
>>>55189793
>Eldritch Blast, for example, is way fucking better than just shooting something with a bow. Look at how they scale.

That's true, but eldritch blast is the best attack cantrip in the game. How does shooting a crossbow compare to fire bolt? I remember seeing stats a while back that crossbows were better for wizards until level 5.
>>
>>55189810
dex is the best stat in the game and any caster is going to have a dex bonus that has a bonus +1-2 lower than their casting one because of this. because of bonded accuracy I feel like being able to add stat to damage instead of just purely rolling a dice makes it pretty even if not superior

>>55189833
eldritch blast is the exception that's obviously way better than every other cantrip because it's half the warlock class
>>
>>55189793
>>55189833

It depends. if you have something like extra attack or sneak attack then a bow is probably going to be better but if you're wondering if you should shoot a crossbow or cast a cantrip as a full caster than the answer is probably "just cast your spells"
>>
What's the most gracious way of letting go of my group? I don't want to just straight up leave without saying anything.
>>
>>55188322
How about If it said this...

"If multiclassing Order of the Profane Soul with Warlock levels, add a third of your blood hunter levels (rounded down) to your Warlock level and consult the Warlock progression table (page 106 of the PHB) for total Spell Slots and Spell Slot Level."
>>
>>55189201
>Eagle's Dick
I wish my Transmutation Wizard would use that on me more often.
>>
how do I make a macro on roll20 for bardic inspiration?
>>
Does the spell shatter break weapons and armor?
>>
>>55190260
what does the spell say?
>>
>>55190260
"A non magical object that isn't being worn or carried also takes the damage if it's in the spell's area."
Take it as you wish
>>
>>55190260

If it's not being held or worn it is, so if you disarm them of the weapon first then yes.
>>
>>55189201
>Transmutation for the stat altering stuff

This touches one of my biggest gripes with 5E - Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength and the rest of the stat-enhancing spells being moved to sorcerers. Everything about them screams wizard, not sorcerer - the bookish mage thinking "I might have to lift some heavy shit/make my bodyguard fighter even stronger".
>>
File: AmIRetarded.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
AmIRetarded.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>55190260
Is it magical? Then no.
Is it being worn? Then no.
Is it being carried? Then no.
>>
>>55190306

Cat's Grace? Bull's Strength? What?
>>
DMing a campaign that blends together Castlevania, Ravenloft, Innistrad and a few other similar settings to create my own home brewed setting. The first session was amazing.

>Be me
>Have a younger brother that loves playing fighters
>Know the brother loves anything to do with longswords, being the definition of a sword and board fanatic
>Create a longsword that gets a +2 to Attack vs Any creature with flesh.
>Make the longsword cursed. It always thirsts for blood
>Watch as brother grabs the cursed sword and immediately begins to feed it the blood of enemies
>Keep track of how much blood the sword drinks
>Once the sword has been used for 20 attacks, have it awakened
>Watch brother's reaction as he fails Wisdom Save after Wisdom Save and attacks the party members
>Laugh as the party is forced to knock brother out
>Remember how the bastard ate your last slice of birthday cake on July 24th, when you turned 29
>Revenge finally achieved
>Later regret being so immature
>>
>>55190340
All the stat-buffing wizard shit (some of which that's been around since the first edition, like Strength) was turned into Enhance Ability in 5E - and it's only in the sorcerer spell list.
>>
File: IMG_1574.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1574.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Would you guys count flipping over a small table to create improvised partial cover an acceptable object interaction on a turn, or would you make a player make an action for that?

This discussion has ground our Saturday game to a halt for nearly twenty minutes now and I figured I'd get a second opinion while the player and the DM are arguing.
>>
>>55190445
Athletics check, on a success it's object interaction, on a failure it's an action.
>>
>>55190445
Object interaction. Also,
>Spell decks
Does anyone even actually use those?
>>
>>55190445

Definitely a full action.
>>
>>55190495
I see them all the time at games that are run in game stores, mostly because they're on-hand.
>>
>>55190495

Had a guy I play with use them for a while, until we kept finding error after error on the cards. Honestly, they're shittily made.
>>
What's the best way to make the DMG archaic firearms a valid but not overpowering choice for martials?
>>
>>55190445

Object interaction, just so the combat feels a bit more lively and chaotic.
>>
>>55190616
By using them as written
>>
>>55190739
As written, the only class they make sense for is Beastmaster Ranger. Every other martial class has to give up a whole attack for +1/+2 damage. Should I make a firearms version of the Crossbow Master Feat?
>>
>>55190616
use crossbow stats verbatim and just refluff that its a firearm
>>
What page are the rules on resting and exhaustion in? If you don't sleep what happens?
>>
>>55190739
>>55190767

They're still too strong as written, a pistol is 1d10 onehanded while a handcrossbow is 1d4. that's a +3 average.

4 attacks with pistol on average.
(6*4)+20 = 44

5 attacks with crossbow
(3*5)+25 = 40
>>
>>55190818
Resting rules are on page 186, exhaustion is in Appendix A.

>>55190840
Why the fuck would a hand crossbow do as much as a pistol?
>>
>>55190840
As written, they have the loading property, which can't be ignored. Your numbers should be:

1 attack with a pistol

(6*1)+20 =26

5 attacks with crossbow
(3*5)+25 = 40
>>
>>55190861

Because a hand crossbow is already a super strong choice and making a pistol even stronger would be making things too strong?

The only way for hand crossbows to average out more damage is with Sharpshooter, assuming all shots hit.
>>
>>55189087
>dragon
>>
>>55190861
Okay so from what I can see in those two areas there are no rules on having to sleep. So can a character not sleep and have no I'll effects from it?
>>
Gee I'm sure excited for monday's UA.

Can't wait for Personal Hygiene rules.
>>
>>55190931
I believe non-elves have to sleep to gain the benefits of a long rest
>>
Am I That DM if I challenge the idea that a player has seen a dinosaur in order to wild shape into it? I tell him sure, mechanically you can, but are you really likely to have seen an extinct animal to wild shape into it?
>>
>>55190951
But what happens if you don't rest at all though? Other than loss of long rest. There seems to be no negatives to not sleeping. Not taking a daily long rest doesn't seem to have any negative effects.
>>
>>55190939
>implying we'll get a UA on Labor Day
>>
>>55190895
Or you can carry multiple pistols and fire them as a brace. Hell, you can even combine the two - loading just means you can only fire THAT weapon once, it doesn't mean you lose all your other attacks. Even just carrying two pistols and a hand crossbow means 2 pistol attacks, 3 crossbow attacks. The more pistols you get, the better.
>>
>>55190951

yeah, new errata says that:

For a non-elf:
You must spend 6 hours asleep and 2 hours with light activity.

For an elf:
4 hours meditation.
>>
>>55191001

I honestly don't see why they can't make it so a bot posts the UA on holidays, unless they seriously write it all within a day.
>>
>>55189087

Charizard is 4 feet tall, how would it be large?
>>
File: ewksxvH.png (230KB, 333x292px) Image search: [Google]
ewksxvH.png
230KB, 333x292px
>>55191000
A con check which results are up to the DM, and then there's a part about Resting that says characters NEED rest, "They need rest—time to sleep and eat, tend their wounds, refresh their minds and spirits for spelleasting, and brace themselves for further adventure."
>>
Are there any consequences to death? RAW, there's nothing preventing you from taking actions or leveling up when dead.
>>
>>55191170
interestingly enough there is not

there is also nothing stopping you from using abilities you do not need to be conscious for
>>
>>55191218
There's nothing that even says you're unconscious when dead.
>>
>>55191218

Dead isn't unconscious, dead is dead, your soul isn't in your body anymore.

Even if you assume you're still in the death saving throw state, you're considered both incapacitated and unconcious meaning you can't take actions or reactions, move, speak, or be aware of your surroundings.
>>
>>55188453
>I hope knight will in some form, but it probably won't. Fucking cavalier is confirmed though
Crawford said on twitter that they made a heavy rework on the cavalier, it doesn't use superiority dice anymore
>>
>>55190979
Not at all. Any sensible DM will limit a druid's prior experience to the biome where he received his training. If you want to turn into something that doesn't live there, you have to meet it while adventuring.
>>
>>55191305

Well that's a relief, but you still have the issue of a class being based around mounted combat being unsuitable for dungeoneering unless you're a small race with a medium mount
>>
>>55191155
What happens when they fail the con check? I'm asking because an enemy is going to be using the dream spell against a PC to prevent sleep.
>>
>>55191298
>your soul isn't in your body anymore.
right, but this has no consequences in the rules. you're still free to walk around completing quests and stuff
>>
File: original.png (79KB, 422x322px) Image search: [Google]
original.png
79KB, 422x322px
>>55191334
Up to DM, nothing on it in the rules.
Possibilities could be disadvantages on perception checks after 1 night, going to full combat and skill check disadvantages after 2 sleepless nights
>>
I'm sad that Lore Master got dropped completely.

The flavor was good, and it honestly didn't need that many changes.

Limit your elemental changes to Fire, Thunder, Acid, Cold and Lightning

Limit your ability to change saving throws so you can only do Physical to Physical and Mental to Mental (Prevents shit like autofail hold person)

Completely remove Alchemic casting or whatever it was called.

There, that's it.
>>
>>55191334
Probably levels in exhaustion.
>>
>>55191364

It doesn't say that you stop being incapacitated and unconscious if you fail all 3 death saving throws
>>
>>55191368

Actually there is something in the rules.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-references-august-2017

If you're not an elf, then you don't get to long rest.
>>
>>55190908
Hand Crossbow is ONLY strong because of CBE, which doesn't apply to Pistols. They're fine.
>>
>>55191411
Nor does it say you stop making death saving throws when you fail your third. Once you have 3 successes, you become stable and after 1d4 hours you wake up, even if you are dead. If you take a lot of damage and instantly die, you never fall unconscious. Your death has no effect.
>>
I kind of want to get rid of coin-based currency in my next campaign. I planned on having a currency system similar to Path of Exile's orbs, but at the same time I don't want these orbs to be so abundant that my players are upgrading every item to be magical. Thoughts?

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Currency
>>
>>55191364
We've had this conversation before. This is completely false. Once you die, your soul is drawn to its final reward. It doesn't get to just hang around - that's called a "ghost" and occurs fairly rarely, and typically the pull towards the afterlife drives it insane.
>>
File: 7875787654687.jpg (1MB, 1600x919px) Image search: [Google]
7875787654687.jpg
1MB, 1600x919px
I'm going to be in a new game soon. DM said that magic will be "gimped" he described it as

>You guys will be pretty much hired mercenaries for a secluded wizard academy.
>In this world, wizards are more like Jedi Knights, in that they study magic and act as neutral scholars and diplomats.
>The source of magic in this world has been corrupted; poisoned in a way. The result of a cataclysmic world war where magic was the main weapon.

So I'm thinking I want to be a Witcher type character. As close to that as I can.

What would you do? Also can I get some help with building a character?
>>
>>55191463
It sounds fun, but you'll have a lot of work figuring out item costs
>>
>>55191463

Not the right system for it.

You can make your own currency, but I wouldn't make the currency have effects in-of themselves, and I wouldn't have so many.

Usually I get rid of gold, silver and copper and just have "Money".
>>
>>55191525
Probably gonna do some combination of this. Important boss characters will have a small quantity of these magic crafting orbs while most things will operate with coin.
>>
>>55191510

He's saying there's no specific rule that says such thing occurs.

Though acting like "Death" isn't self explanatory is retarded beyond belief.
>>
>>55191551

Probably a better idea.
>>
>>55191551

Do you have a story reason for why these orbs exist and what they are? Because it'd seem weird and out of place if not.

I'd probably make them pieces of a dead mechanical god, with a cult trying to gather the pieces in order to rebuild them..
>>
>>55191519
See >>55188229
>>
Tell me about your setting: is its world flat or round?
>>
>>55191519
Bladelock fits pretty good.
>>
>>55191519

If you want to stick to official stuff, then use Revised Ranger with the Monster Hunter UA.

If you're willing to use homebrew, Matt Mercer (Famous Voice Actor, runs a famous DnD show called critical role) has a homebrew class called a blood hunter, which has been well received and is regarded as balanced.
>>
File: Enelia.png (28KB, 818x682px) Image search: [Google]
Enelia.png
28KB, 818x682px
>>55191645
It's a ring, actually
>>
What are people's thoughts on Tomb of Annihilation?
>>
>>55191687
It might have been well-received and it might even be balanced, but it doesn't really feel like 5e to me. The mechanics are fairly convoluted.
>>
>>55191590
i don't think it's explained in the official poe lore so my assumption/explanation is that they are relics of the vaal empire that were created during the height of its thaumaturgical prowess using the power of the beast
>>
>>55191773

My thoughts are that it's not out yet.
>>
>>55191645
Floating islands only, final destination.
>>
>>55191804
And yet people will be asking for opinions on it every day until it comes out for some inexplicable reason.

>>55191835
Items?
>>
>>55191645

Round, it's ozone is made of the stray thoughts of it's inhabitants which protects it both from the harsh rays of the sun and from gods who try to interfere.
>>
>>55191835
I assume kitsune are the only playable race
>>
>>55191804
They've released the primer on how the curse works.
>>
>>55191645
round like a real planet and everything
>>
Hello new to Dnd what is the main differences between wizard, sorceror and warlock?
>>
File: 1490045315364.png (234KB, 800x722px) Image search: [Google]
1490045315364.png
234KB, 800x722px
>>55191925
>>
>>55191925
nerd
chad
emo
>>
>>55191925
WE
>>
>>55191925
Wizard studies for his magic
Sorcerer gets it because lol meme
warlock is basically morally grey cleric
>>
>>55191968
WUZ
>>
anyone played one of the WotC modules on roll20? $60 seems like a lot of money when the actual physical books are $50
>>
>>55191925
In terms of gameplay, Warlocks have less magic, but it's more potent, Wizards have the most magic and can change their spells most easily. Sorcerers get less spells, but can improvise when casting them.
>>
>>55191950
>sorcerer
>icon is a wizard hat
NANDESKA
>>
>>55189043
Exhaustion, bam.
>>
>>55191925
Wizard study how magic works to use it
A Sorcerer's magic comes from a believing heart
Warlocks make pacts with powerful creatures like fiends
>>
>>55192033

Not quite for warlocks

Warlocks can make pacts with beings for knowledge, or they could get the knowledge simply from observing the beings.

A great old one isn't going to make a pact with you, it likely doesn't even know you exist, you probably just saw the fleeting image of one and now your mind is crumbling from the unknowable.
>>
>>55192099
depends on the setting
>>
>>55192033
>Warlocks make pacts with powerful creatures
>>Not quite for warlocks. Warlocks can make pacts
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>55192175
The idea of calling it a pact implies consent between two individuals, but this isn't always the case. You can be forced into service as a warlock, or a patron can be unaware of you. Since the idea of a Faustian bargain is the most famous pact, that's what the idea is styled on.
>>
>>55192250
The book only mentions pacts and never says you can accidentally become a warlock.
>>
>>55192008
I've DM'd LMoP, and SKT using the modules on Roll20 and I'm in a CoS game currently. They are expensive, but you dont really need the book if you buy it. But really it is there for convenience nice to not have to set everything up.
>>
>>55192326
nevermind I read more and you're right it can be accidental
>>
>>55192099
> just saw the fleeting image of one and now your mind is crumbling from the unknowable
how do you rollplay this?
>>
>>55192367
It's unique for every warlock. Perhaps your pact is an inheritance, that a member of your family makes one each generation. Perhaps you tried to harness some malevolent power, and striking a bargain was your only chance for survival. It's one of my favorite classes because the patron is unique to the class; gods generally don't pay their subjects much attention.
>>
>>55192385

Paranoid, trying to warn everyone of a great being that if it ever noticed your world it might simply cease to exist, any grand scale plans anyone in the world might have runs the risk of it becoming aware of the worlds existence and bringing Armageddon.
>>
I'm a newer player reading everything I can trying to gather more knowledge about everything in the game. I'm reading through some adventures right now trying to gain a DM perspective as one day I'd like to run a game once I have a handle on rules.

Could someone please clarify exactly what this means, I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried googling this as well and this is my 2nd day reading through this and I still haven't quite figured it out. Just wanted to say I've attempted to help myself.

Anyways it says

Arrow Barage: Ranged weapon attack. +4 to hit, range 80/320 feet. Two Targets. Hit: 5 piercing damage.

+4 to hit im guessing is a bonus if it hits

HIt: 5 means an average of 5 damage (got this from a google search)

My question I suppose is that if 5 is an average, what in the hell is being rolled for damage? 1d10?

If I didn't want to distribute damage using averages would I roll a d10 then add 4?
>>
>>55192326
No fuck off you have no clue what you are talking about kid
>>
>>55188595
You could be a bard or low hp class ranged class like wizard/sorcerer so you have a reason to be cowardly in melee and hang back in fights while still contributing. If you're a noble you'd probably have high charisma and be a pretty boy so bard would be a really good fit
>>
File: 1496198494998.jpg (120KB, 1160x1160px) Image search: [Google]
1496198494998.jpg
120KB, 1160x1160px
>>55191925
Alright, imagine this scenario; You need to pass a math test, how do you go about doing it?
>Wizard
You study for countless hours, poring over your math books until finally, at long last, you get a perfect A+.
>Sorcerer
You're a lazy Asian. I mean, you only got an A-, but you didn't have to study. It just came from within.
>Warlock
You offer your boipussi to the teacher in exchange for an A. You get it, along with herpes and a kickass flaming sword.
>>
>>55192480

Cleric:
You hire a tutor to teach you.
>>
>>55192462
>+4 to hit
When you attack, roll a d20 and add 4. If the result is equal to or higher than the target's AC, it hits.

>Hit: 5 piercing damage
it does 5 damage on hit. Most monsters will show the roll and the average, so you can take the average if you don't want to roll. Like Damage: 5 (1d10) piercing damage.
>>
>>55192462
"+4 to hit" means that when you roll a d20 to see if it hits, you add 4 to the roll.
Averages are rounded up, so you'd roll a d8 and add nothing.
>>
>>55192462
When you make an attack, you add your proficiency bonus to an attack if you're trained in the weapon. With a ranged weapon, it's dexterity + prof bonus. For 1d10, the average of a d10 is 5.5, but damage is always rounded down. Proficiency is not added to damage.
>>
>>55192462
I assume this is a monster's attack.
>+4 to hit
Mean when the monster does this attack against a PC, you roll your d20 plus 4 to beat the target's AC (Armor Class).
If your roll is equal to or higher than their AC then they take 5 damage.
Since it's two targets you do this twice against two different characters.
That's it.
>>
>>55192530
>>55192526
>>55192519
>>55192515
Thank you very much I really appreciate it!
>>
>>55192463
Page 105
>Through pacts made with mysterious beings of supernatural power

>A warlock is defined by a pact with an otherworldly being
>>
>>55192480
>>55192502
Actually, warlock is more the one that gets a tutor (and possibly fucks them).
Cleric is the guy that gets someone to take the test for him by using a camera and an earpiece.
>>
>>55192557
>Cleric gets his dad to call the school and not have to take the test.
>>
>>55192549
I think you're taking the word "pact" too literally.
>The Great Old One might be unaware of your existence or entirely indifferent to you, but the secrets you have learned allow you to draw your magic from it.
>>
>>55192502
>>55192480
>Cleric
you pray the night before and in your sleep jesus gave you a cheat sheet only you can see

>Druid
Like the cleric except its a small bird

>Bard
You fuck the teacher for fun and he gives it to you for another round
>>
>>55192604
That contradicts the descriptions of

>Otherworldly Patron
>At first level, you have struck a bargain with an otherworldly being of your choice

and

>Pact Boon
>At 3rd Level, your otherworldly patron bestows a gift upon you for your loyal service
>>
>>55192741
Specific beats general, though, amirite?
>>
>>55191852
How do thoughts block out
1. rays from the sun?
2. gods?
Genuinely curious. Hope you're still around.
>>
>>55192791
You could fluff the class features as instead of being a gift or bestowment, you accidentally find the knowledge in a dream or whatever.
>>
Running Tomb of Horrors for my group tomorrow. Is level 10 reasonable enough for them to clear it?
>>
The thread is slowing down. What shall we argue about to keep it afloat?
>>
>>55192910
3.5 is more fun
>>
>>55192910
dice rolling subtracts fun
>>
File: 1502936998262.png (141KB, 478x470px) Image search: [Google]
1502936998262.png
141KB, 478x470px
>>55192910
Ability scores should just be the modifiers.
>>
Are the Dresden files worth a read?
>>
>>55192910
GURPS is a better game system
>>
>>55192973
But then how would you distribute your ASI points or have feats that give half ASI?

>>55192931
Low-hanging fruit
>>55192955
Too obviously subjective to have a satisfying argument about
>>
>>55192996
Yes
If you're not turned off by an author being sorta sexist (and getting better as the series goes on) there's essentially no reason not to read it
>>
>>55188253
Hoping kensei, stone sorcerer, arcane archer, hexblade and the redemption pally (in some form).
>>
>>55193086
Cool, I'm about to buy the first book now. Thanks amigo
>>
>>55193121
You bet!
If you live in an American city, your local library probably has copies of all of them.

>>55193119
Patrician choices. I'd add zealot barbarian and glamour bard to that list.
>>
>>55193003
>But then how would you distribute your ASI points or have feats that give half ASI?
You don't.

Right now, "half point" ASI levels are pointless. It has no mechanical difference, and is both unsatisfying and pointless.

Either have each point give a benefit of some kind, or don't have them at all.
>>
Is this attack too powerful?
It's something Tiamat and her ilk would get or have access to (but uses Lathander's stats for the time being).

Divine Blast. Ranged Spell Attack: +16 to hit, range 800 ft., one target. Hit: 110 (17d12) divine damage. The divine blast ignores antimagic fields.
>>
>>55193283
And something like:
Glory of the Morning (Recharge 5-6). Lathander unleashes sunlight of such intensity and radiance that it appears as the coming of a second dawn. Each creature in a 170 ft radius must make a DC 27 Constitution saving throw, taking 49 (9d10) radiant and 44 (8d10) fire damage on a failed save and is blinded for 1 minute, or half as much damage on a successful one.

A creature blinded by this effect makes another Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns, and on a successful save it is no longer blinded.

Any undead within the radius with 80 hit points or fewer are instantly destroyed.

This also dispels any darkness or deeper darkness in its area.

The White Sun (8/Day). Lathander's blinding purity can be unleashed to bolster allies and those he deems worthy, manifesting as the intense rosy radiance of a spring morning around them
Each creature of Lathander's choosing that is within 80 ft of Lathander magically regains 46 (8d8+10) hit points and are freed from any curse, disease, poison, blindness, deafness, fear, lycanthropy, and madness.
>>
>>55192910
ELDRITCH BLAST
>>
>>55193352
Eldritch knight with no eldritch blast.
>>
>>55192839
The way shit works in my settings:

The astral sea is filled with psychic wind, remnant thoughts from the old universe which died (Big Crunch Theory style).

When there's a high concentration of psychic wind in one area a psychic storm occurs, and if it gets particularly bad a star can form from all the energy.

Stars are huge sources of magical energy, and when a star dies said magical energy can form a plane.

Each plane has its own Noosphere, an atmosphere formed of the thoughts of the denizens of the plane.

The prime plane has an especially thick noosphere, and due to having so many people of differing alignments it's constantly shifting, creating miniature psychic storms.

Other planes are usually more stable, due to everyone (barring exceptions) on that plane having similar beliefs and alignments.

When an entity has enough prevalence in the thoughts and beliefs that fill their plane's noosphere they become able to manipulate it and produce magical effects, entities that can do this are called "Gods"

Due to the tumultuous nature of the prime plane's noosphere, there is no singular entity that has enough belief in them to become the ruler of the prime plane.

Additionally "gods" cannot influence the prime plane, as their stable noosphere refuses to share any energy with their plane.

Occasionally, through extremely strong belief in a god, windows to the prime plane can be created which allow gods to influence it, which is how clerics work.

Noospheres can also filter raw magical energy from stars, only allowing energy that's beneficial to the denizens of the plane (For the prime material it lets most elements in besides necrotic, though the extent at which it does varies from place to place and throughout the year)
>>
File: TOA_Excerpt_Rasnsiv1.pdf (361KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
TOA_Excerpt_Rasnsiv1.pdf
361KB, 1x1px
>>
>>55193283
>divine damage
???
>>
>>55193540
Untyped damage that penetrates everything.
>>
>>55188595

I pretty much played that character one time. He was arrogant as hell and believed that he was better than the rest of the party. Sounds pretty bad, but I had a blast and everyone was always laughing at how ridiculous he was (a funny foreign accent also helps to keep the character from being a total drag).
>>
>>55193625
Stop being a faggot.

>Giving this to Tiamat
????

At least stick to giving this bullshit to mary sue beings you created yourself, and not established beings who cannot do anything remotely close to this kind of thing.
>>
>>55193677
Wat. Are you actually aware Tiamat is actually a deity. Do you realize divine damage was a thing in previous editions?
>>
>>55191645
Flat, inside a large crystal ball. The ball is broken and the pillars holding it up are crumbling
>>
>>55193713

There's a reason it's not in 5e
>>
>>55193283
For what purpose? You have brought this up before, and you have never, to my knowledge, given a good reason for why you want to do this.

It makes little sense ruleswise, and it just gives you the option of deleting people with no way of protecting against it. That's stupid.

Are you some kind of That GM who hates players having counter play options?
>>
File: 1417136585969.png (2MB, 1852x1135px) Image search: [Google]
1417136585969.png
2MB, 1852x1135px
>>55193677
Stop being a fucking blithering autistic retard and realize Tiamat could and did divine blast.
>>
>>55193744
And what reason might that be? She and others like her are avatars of gods.
>>
>>55193713
Yes, but she can't do anything like this, and "divine" damage isnt an actual thing in 5e, especially not for someone like Tiamat.
>>
>>55193782
Stop being an autist and realize that Tiamat doesn't have it in 5e, and divine damage doesn't exist in 5e
>>
>>55193782
Stop being a faggot, and explain why you even want to introduce a new damage mechanic to the game, that completely nullified all attempts at reducing or negating it.
>>
File: 9020_e5c0.jpg (424KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
9020_e5c0.jpg
424KB, 900x900px
Hey /tg/ help me out a bit won't you?

I'm working on a setting right now where the Evil Emperor has his 7 top lieutenants ruling various districts throughout the empire. I want to give each of them a special weapon or item that fits them thematically and serves as an exciting draw for some of my players who are complete murderhobos. I figure if they know Lord Blackstone has a totally sweet magic pickaxe they can't get anywhere else they might actually get off their asses to dismantle the evil regime.

So far I've got a Dwarven prison warden who has an obsidian warpick, hitting with the point does piercing damage and adds 4d8 force damage when you spend a charge, hitting with the blunt side does bludgeoning and deals 2d6 Thunder damage to everything within 5 feet of the target except you (also costs a charge).

Next up is the Elven Druid who has a staff that maxes out any magical healing you cast as well as a once per long rest heal to full/cleanse all status ailments and curses..

The last one I made is for a worthless shithead Human noble who I gave a cursed dagger that whispers paranoid delusions to the holder. It gives advantage on all melee attacks if there are no allies adjacent to your target and once per short or long rest can do a 10d8+40 Necrotic damage Deathblow that also drops the wielder to 0 hp. The idea being the Emperor gave it to him because he's otherwise worthless in a fight so he might as well kill himself taking out one hero. The dagger is evil and sentient and will wait until an opportune time before mind controlling (wisdom save) the holder into stabbing their friends in the back.

So now I need items for a Half Orc admiral of the navy, a racist Human general of the army, a Gnome Divination wizard, and a Human Death Cleric who worships the emperor (who is a lich).

These guys are set to appear between level 12-16 range for reference.
>>
>>55193800
Then she really should, the devs should go back to designing avatars of gods as these unapproachable beings of might that PCs can potentially triumph over, not the lackluster Tiamat we got in RoT. But overall she wasn't that bad.
As such, they need a rework. I could be persuaded to rework the damage type though.
>>
>>55193740
That sounds badass.

>>55193778
>Are you some kind of That GM who hates players having counter play options?
Are there other types?
>>
>>55193898
Just make it force damage, nobody resists that shit anyway.
>>
>>55191645
Flat. The Endless Waves are called that for a reason, the ocean just gets deeper and scarier the farther out you go.
>>
>>55193898
maybe just let them change the damage type of their attacks at will.
>>
So, got a character death in Out of the Abyss and had to roll up a new character.

What the fuck do I do with 7, 18, 6, 4, 6, 18?
Also it was 4d6 remove lowest.
>>
>>55194005
>7, 18, 6, 4, 6, 18
18 strength
18 con
Roll a fighter, die when something targets your saves
>>
>>55193945
>>55193963
Force damage isn't a bad idea actually. It'll be their ELDRTICH BLAST.
>>
>>55194018
Wouldn't barbarian be a better option at that point?
Could probably be a tank and advantage on dex saves might save my life once or twice..
>>
>>55194018
Half-Orc Champion too why not. Ugly, clumsy, dumb, but can hit hard and roll massive damage 10% of the time. Plus they have that thing where once per day if you drop to 0, you can drop to 1 instead. And depending on the level you also at one point get to succeed a failed save.
>>
>>55194005
Time to play Crazy Old Man Jenkins the Warlock. 18 charisma, 18 con, everything else garbage. You're extremely old and feeble but god damn do you have a tongue that could skin a rhino at 30 paces.
>>
>>55194046
He won't be a good tank because barbs need to be strong and hardy so his dex'll be in the negatives, negating most of his AC bonus from con.
>>
>>55193920
>Are there other types?
Good ones
>>
>>55193920

Yes, actual good GM's who want to play a game instead of go on a powertrip
>>
>>55194095
Well.. could just slap some medium armor on him.
Sure it'll only be like AC 14 or something, but taking half damage from all sources if going bear, aswell as potential 20 con with race choice could make me a damage sponge atleast.
Most of the things we've met in Out of the Abyss thus far, either by good DM rolls or not, tend to easily hit even 20+AC characters.
>>
>>55193873
half orc should carry either a cannon or use an anchor on a chain as a weapon.
>>
>>55194130
>Well.. could just slap some medium armor on him.
...Which would still get a negative from Dex
>>
So how do we all feel about theurge getting into xanthars, probably unchanged?
>>
>>55194150
Aye, but then how'd a Fighter be anything different?
Even with heavy armor I'd still have shit AC, and I wouldn't be able to get resistance either.
>>
>>55194167
>Even with heavy armor I'd still have shit AC
what
>>
>>55194167
>I'd still have shit AC
Dex doesn't effect AC when in heavy armor.
>>
File: Sea_Hag.jpg (93KB, 603x860px) Image search: [Google]
Sea_Hag.jpg
93KB, 603x860px
Tell me about your experiences with Hags.
>>
File: ROUS.jpg (133KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
ROUS.jpg
133KB, 600x337px
>>55193963
Seeing as she has five heads with different elements, that's probably the most reasonable solution.

>>55194122
>>55194116
I don't think they exist
>>
File: kiryu phone.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
kiryu phone.gif
2MB, 500x281px
I think I've been misunderstanding how Booming Blade works. Let's say I have a Greataxe and am casting Booming Blade. What would the damage at 1st, 5th, 11th and 17th be?

Option A:
1d12 + 1d8
1d12 + 2d8
1d12 + 3d8
1d12 + 4d8

Option B:
1d12 + 1d8
(1d12 + 1d8) + 2d8
(1d12 + 2d8) + 3d8
(1d12 + 3d8) + 4d8
>>
>>55194167
...the fuck?
Heavy armor is a base AC. No dexterity modifiers affect it.
A fighter with 4 dex in plate and shield still has AC20.
>>
File: read the book black man.png (72KB, 711x798px) Image search: [Google]
read the book black man.png
72KB, 711x798px
>>55194167
>>
>>55194187

I threw one down a flight of stairs once, that was fun.
>>
>>55192365
I don't suppose there's a secret ebin hack to get that shit for free huh? we'll see
>>
>>55194193
B
>>
>>55194186
And negative dex hardly does shit for medium either since medium usually has tops +2 dex allowed.
Second question, where would I go about acquiring any form of decent heavy armor in Out of the Abyss, in the middle of nowhere, without any money?
Just an fyi, you only ever fight faggot drows with light armor, demons, demon variations and more demons.
>>
>>55194149
I'm not really using gunpowder in the setting so cannon is out. Anchor could work though. Maul stats as the base you think? Maybe you swing it around by the chain so it's a Maul with the Reach property.

Magical properties, maybe charge based and it lets you cast Tidal Wave, Storm Sphere or some other such spells. Redirect water cantrip and free swim speed and water breathing might be cool.
>>
>>55194223
>where would I go about acquiring any form of decent heavy armor in Out of the Abyss
I'm not familiar with OotA, do you not get your starting gear in it?
>>
>>55194193

B, assuming the stuff outside the brackets is move damage.
>>
>>55194223
Medium armor caps the positive dex you can get but it doesn't say anything about negative. I think you get the full amount of negative ac if your dex is calculated at all.
>>
>>55194209
Sounds like fun.

I used a green hag once. She had a white guard drake for a pet. The encounter wasn't as fierce as I'd wanted but the players got a lot of good RP out of it so it ended up being worthwhile.

I wanted to use another hag (very likely an Annis Hag) recently but the area I was designing was already becoming bloated so I decided to cut out a lot of it.
>>
>>55194244
>Medium armor caps the positive dex you can get but it doesn't say anything about negative.
Personally, I'd rule it as a maximum of +2 or -2. It doesn't make sense that you could go below -2 in medium armor but not go above +2
>>
>>55194257
It's not often that people have a -3 dex anyway so it hasn't come up.
>>
>>55194230
You start the campaign in a drow prison, with your equipment elsewhere in the camp. It's entirely possible to escape without getting your shit back.
>>
>>55194214
>>55194234
It is, and holy shit I never realized booming blade was so powerful. I needed to double check that I was reading the spell right.
>>
>>55194230
You start in a jailcell, being slaves to drows.
So no, you have fuckall and at this point we're about level 6 and still have fuckall. We've found two decent medium armors but everything else has been light armor or some sort of drow strapon.

>>55194244
Back to a previous post, our 20 AC rogue is basically getting hit 9 out of 10 times. Either due to good rolls or just high lethality with monsters.

Would 17 AC and no resistance be a better option compared to 14 - 15 AC and resistance against everything but psychic?
>>
>>55194249
My players are very likely heading towards a coven. If they do, they won't be powerful enough to beat the hags, especially due to having expended most of their resources already.
Do you have any ideas of a good bargain they can try to strike with the party?
>>
>>55194282

It's especially strong on Swashbuckler rogues, since they get a free disengage on anyone who they make a melee attack against (It counts, since it doesn't specifically say "use an action to make a melee attack").

It basically becomes a game of hit and run where you're getting in hits and escaping, forcing them to either chase and get damaged, sheath their weapon and use their action to draw a ranged weapon (Or if they drop their main weapon, kick it away next turn).
>>
>>55194306
Not one. My players share my love of heroic characters so it'd take a really harmless/unusual hag to offer a bargain they'd agree to.
I mean the hag they killed kept the body parts of children preserved in jars.
>>
>>55194351
>the hag they killed kept the body parts of children preserved in jars.
That makes me angry enough to want to kill her even though I know she's fictitious
>>
>>55194347
If you're using it on a swashbuckler you're not getting any use out of TWF and might as well use cunning action to get out
>>
>>55194289

You shouldn't be getting hit that much at 20 AC, either DM is fudging dice against you, or the monsters he's throwing are way above your level.
>>
>>55194378

Who gives a damn about two weapon fighting?
>>
>>55194257
If your dex is so low that a limit of -2 would be necessary, medium armor is the least of your worries.
>>
>>55194387
It's Out of the Abyss.
We've met things ranging from mycanoid lovecraftian horrors with two legendary actions to demons.
Most of the things you face down here have massive to-hit and damage.
>>
>>55194399
Swashbucklers, who are intentionally designed to be able to use it
>>
>>55194422

I mean, the fluff for swashbuckler does very specifically say they "excel(s) in single combat, and can fight with two weapons while safely darting away from an opponent."

But none of the class features actually mention or seem to particularly benefit TWF.

I'd rather just go sword and board and fluff it up as a duelist with a buckler, but that's me.
>>
>>55194422

I don't see how they're meant to use it

It's kind of in the name for them to be Sword + Buckler.
>>
>>55194351
>My players share my love of heroic characters
What if, superposed to the party's weakness towards the coven, was a promise of some magical help that the hags can indeed provide to bring down an evil antagonist the party is pursuing?
>>
Hey guys. I've got a Storm Kings adventure coming up, starting from lvl 1.
I was considering playing a Circle of Dreams druid. Played a fair bit of dwarves/elves recently and not keen when it comes to humans, was thinking of potentially orc or something.

Anyone got any tips or ideas?

Deciding between Skilled, Perceptive, Survivalist or Tough for a feat aswell.
>>
>>55194367
I like you.
She died before they found her stash, but she still died. Dragonborn ranger buried his longsword in her neck. Mid-sentence.
>>
Cant think of a name for my tiefling barbarian please help
>>
>>55194458
>But none of the class features actually mention or seem to particularly benefit TWF.
AKSHUALLY
The fact that you can move away without using cunning action to disengage is the exact feature that enables rogues to use their bonus action to dual-wield.

>>55194484
You're not wrong historically speaking, but "swashbuckler" has had nothing to do with bucklers in pop culture, ever.
>>
>>55194513
What's their background like? What kind of demon is their tiefling blood from?
>>
>>55194367

I dunno, doesn't really do anything for me.
>>
>>55194513
Akmenos "Channels His Anger Productively" Amnonson.
>>
>>55194513
Dargor, the shadowlord of the black mountain
>>
>>55194518
I still feel like that's kind of mediocre since you can only sneak attack once per round. You get a small amount of extra damage but the extra damage from Booming blade actually outclasses a TWF offhand attack.
>>
>>55194484
>>55194458
>shields
>on a rogue
enjoy your disadvantage on your attack rolls, ability checks and saves I guess
>>
>>55194607
The idea behind dual-wielding rogues is that they get an extra chance to sneak attack if they miss. For instance, if you have a +7 to hit and you attack a creature with AC 16 (a common scenario), you have a 55% chance to hit (and thus get your sneak attack damage). If you dual wield, your odds of landing a sneak attack become ~80%. Your DPS just got something like a 1.4x multiplier.
Lacking Extra Attack, rogues are all-or-nothing when it comes to damage. Dual-wielding helps nullify that.
Naturally, Booming Blade is still ideal if you're optimizing. But I prefer to think many rogue players don't want to use magic because it doesn't fit their character concept. In which case, dual-wielding is a kickass option, and Swashbuckler helps make it more viable.
>>
>>55194620
Take 1 level of fighter, or the Moderately Armored feat. Congratulations, you can now use shields without the penalties.
>>
>Many hunters seek the shell for it's antimagic properties. A skilled armorer can make three shields from one shell. For 1 month, each shield gives it's wielder the snail's anti-magic shell trait. When the shield's magic fades, it leaves behind an exotic shield that is the perfect item from which to make a spellguard shield
>Can also be used to make a robe of scintillating colors, the shell is ground and added to the dye while the garment is being fashioned. The powder is also a material component of the ritual that enchants the robe
What's the ritual /5eg/?
>>
>>55194673
Hm, I've always kinda wanted to play a thief using magical tricks and whatnot.
Is Swashbuckler the best option or is there a better way to build to use Booming Blade or the other cantrip?
>>
>>55194620

You don't think I dipped 1 level into fighter first?
>>
What would be the potential ramifications of granting an ASI/feat at character level 4 as opposed to class level 4?
>>
File: Ahnenerbe.png (679KB, 601x844px) Image search: [Google]
Ahnenerbe.png
679KB, 601x844px
>>55191645
Hypersphere. Get on my dimention, you fucking plebs.
>>
>>55194708

Sprinkled and pressed into the robe while in an antimagic zone on the winter solstice.
>>
>>55191645
Round, with the sun on the inside.
>>
Tell me, /5eg/, about your lizardfolk characters.
>>
>>55194752
Pryanfags please leave
>>
>>55194773
Playing a lizardfolk revised ranger, planning on going beastmaster since his rival Gherri Oakscales is one too
>>
>>55194773
Lizardfolk in my world is just variations of "The Lusty Argonian Maid" because that's all they're good for.
>>
>>55194773
Do Dragonborn count?
>>
>>55194819

>noble-blooded sons and daughters of legendary dragons
>anything like a filthy hunched-over gecko person from a piss swamp
>>
>>55194850

Except dragonborn are all inbred mutts who filthied are basically just orange brutes as opposed to intelligent creatures of magic.
>>
>>55194773

Don't have one because I'm not a massive faggot.
>>
>>55194850
dragonborn are glorified scalies.
lizardmen have to actually make a civilization and culture instead of just "lol mary sue dragon dude"
>>
>>55194720
You remove the only drawback of multiclassing, plus how Fighter and Rogue works then?
>>
>>55194979
>lizardmen have to actually make a civilization and culture instead of just "lol mary sue dragon dude"
I know 5eg is autistic, but Dragonborn aren't automatically society-less Mary Sues, you have to put just as much effort into making a Dragonborn character as any other race - that is, more than none.
>>
>>55194877
...Inbred? It's crossbreeding between the heritages that led to that rusty orange coloration. It's quite literally the opposite of inbreeding.
>>
>>55194367
Now THAT's justice.
>>
>>55189878
If you have +3 INT, then firebolt is +5 to hit at level 1

Unless you have a 16 in DEX too its better to go for the higher to hit. Firebolt has better range to
>>
>>55191462
>>55191411
On your third failure, you die.
>>
Any good AL adventure?
>>
>>55195187
Being dead has no effects, rules as written.
>>
>>55194513
Taylor Tot
>>
>>55195322
Being dead doesn't have any "effects" irl either
>>
>>55195322
Yes it does.

PHB pp. 197 under Healing.

>Unless it results in death, damage isn't permanent.

Death makes HP damage permanent
>>
File: 1395612046975.gif (347KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1395612046975.gif
347KB, 256x192px
>>55194793
>Gherri Oakscales
took me like 5 minutes
>>
>>55195719
what, I though it was just a dumb name
>>
>>55195735
It's a bastardization of Gary Oak
>>
File: Wizards_65713c_354294.jpg (35KB, 203x293px) Image search: [Google]
Wizards_65713c_354294.jpg
35KB, 203x293px
>>55191979
WIZZADZ N' SHIT
>>
>>55188180
Does the discord still exist? I want to find some games.
>>
File: 1361819325944.png (84KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1361819325944.png
84KB, 500x500px
>>55195750
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>55195931
Page 10
>>
My party just TPK'd and I decided on rolling a monk.
How do I stay on melee and not die instantly because my health is shit?
>>
>>55196037
Stat higher Con, take the Tough feat, or be a Hill Dwarf
Or better yet, do all three
>>
>>55196058
Shouldn't I be taking Dex and Wis as my higher stats?
>>
>>55196037
Wait for the big guys to engage, then zip around them and flank an enemy with your increased movement speed. If you have sufficient strength, try grappling a foe for your allies to slaughter.

There's no need to go the >>55196058 minmaxer route.
>>
>>55196037
V. Human with Mobile feat
>>
>>55196067
Of course, "higher Con" doesn't mean "make Con your highest", it mean "don't dump Con"
Your stats should be Dex > Wis > Con > everything else

>>55196068
Nigga that's not minmaxing, that's just a few suggestions
>>
File: file.png (37KB, 965x377px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
37KB, 965x377px
>>55196135
Something like this?
Tabaxi, btw
>>
>>55196037
Use your Ki for Patient Defense instead of Flurry of Blows.
>>
>>55196135
"Hey my character is supposed to be kinda frail, but very agile."
"NO THAT'S SHIT, PICK MORE CON."
Changing the character's concept to optimize it instead of working with what you have is minmaxing.
Fuck off.
>>
>>55196164
That's pretty good for level 1. Pump Wis to 16 for your first ASI
>>
>>55196164
Why not make STR and CHA both 10 instead of 11 and 9
>>
>>55196213
That's not even close to what I said you autistic retard
I fucking hate minmaxers, stop projecting your own shitty insecurities onto my post you cunt
>>
>>55196218
Rolled stats?
>>
>>55196218
I get +1 CHA from racial so I go to 10, and I have a spare point anyway, so I can get 11 CHA and 10 STR or 11 STR or vice-versa

>>55196247
Point buy
>>
>>55196135

To add:
Wis gets even more important once you get stunning strike since monks are stun bots.
>>
>>55196247
He's literally using a point buy calculator, bro.
>>
>>55196213
If your character concept is to be frail but agile you have literally nobody to blame but yourself when a crit lands and one shots your bitch ass
>>
I'm anticipation the giants flying on rocs on the SKT airship flying section, how do I use shadow monk to effectively take them out
>>
>>55196269
Cause an eclipse so everything's in a shadow and you can teleport around freely
>>
>>55196235
>Stat higher Con, take the Tough feat, or be a Hill Dwarf
Outside of picking the tough feat, this is all 'change your character concept to be more optimized'.

Do you honestly not understand how the answer of "change your character" to the question of "my character has low HP, how do I make it work as melee?" is telling a person to minmax?
>>
>>55196281
Its a 60ft teleport, how do I go about causing an eclipse
>>
>>55196302
Cast darkness on the sun
>>
>>55191645
Flat, but the plane cosmology forms a sphere.

Material plane is the main disc, with planes of Water, Ice, Feywild, and Shadowfell all on different borders (east, north, southeast, and south respectively), and Earth below "supporting" all of them.

Fire orbits the disc with the sun, and the upper planes (god demiplanes) and lower planes (hells, abyss) are in their respective positions in the top/bottom sections of the sphere. Aberration-y bits are scattered throughout, and there are plenty of pocket planes (ie, Air, Mechanus)
>>
>>55196267
Not even the issue here, the guy asked how he makes his character work for his role, not how he could best change his character to be more optimized for his role.
>>
>>55196315
DOES it work like that?
>>
What class is Link?
>>
>>55196301
>Outside of picking the tough feat, this is all 'change your character concept to be more optimized'.
We didn't know his fucking character concept you dolt
All we knew was "monk". We didn't know the race, we didn't know what feats they had in mind, we didn't know anything. All we knew was that they wanted to be a frontline monk with more survivability, and those are all ways to do that. So shove off and kill yourself you fucking shithead
>>
>>55196336
Ranger, no question about it
>>
>>55196327
If the sun is within the 60 foot cast range, then yes.
>>
>>55190374
Hahahs pretty good. Now give him character growth and make thin sword awaken and name it.
>>
>>55191170
>>55191218
>>55191364
>>55191462
Is this bait or are you literally mentally handicapped? Not everything needs to be spelled out in the rules. Death obviously means you're fucking dead and can't do anything.
>>
>>55196351
How so? I was assuming DEX fighter.
>>
>>55196441
Mostly the spin attack and use of magic and such, but it makes sense to me
>>
Any of you other DMs on here do some changes to equipment for flavor and not limiting the players quite as much?

Like if a player really digs maces but is a martial, make a big martial mace that does 1d8 damage, or for the dex players tired of just a rapier for their best damage weapon, make some nice finesse 1d8 slashing blades like cutlasses so they can switch things up a bit? Or a guy who really wants to be a badass spartan so his spear (which would be a martial weapon in this case) can do 1d8/1d10 versatile?
>>
What class is a good for West March style adventure, where my party composition will be changing often?

I'm worry about party utility and resurrect those idiots who walk into traps, so maybe Cleric with ritual caster (Wizard)?
>>
>>55193482
Super freaking cool. Might steal this shit
>>
>>55196355
>hold action to cast darkness on the sun when you're within 60 feet of it
>buddy casts teleport and takes you to 60 feet from the sun
>spell immediately goes off before you're disintegrated by the heat
>you blotted out a 15 ft radius sphere of the sun

Genius
>>
>>55196466
Spin Attack is the Battlemaster's Sweeping Attack, technically, unless you have something in mind.
And with the magic stuff, it's mostly things that he was given, himself, rather than actual spellcasting.
>>
How is Enlarge/Reduce on a door? a house? The spell doesn't have a limit on the size of the object.
>>
>>55196562
Pretty sure Darkness doesn't turn off the heat, only the light
>>
Ok so got a question about Monks, when you take the attack action do you have to use both attack actions back to back, only splitting them up with movement or can you do attack, flurry of blows attack, then extra attack from the feature?
>>
File: 1499134657966.png (10KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1499134657966.png
10KB, 512x512px
>>55196599

>reduce the earth beneath you
>>
>>55196585
But you kinda have to be magically talented to wield magic in the D&D universe so ehh
>>
>>55196585
>it's mostly things that he was given
WARLOCK PAAAAAACT
>>
>>55196472
damage type doesn't mean much in this edition, so all of those should be fine. My DM allow it too. My quarterstaff is a gauntlet.
>>
>>55196606
It only blocks out light, says nothing about heat iirc
>>
>>55196472
Personally yes, I don't see a huge issue with simple 1/1 refluff
>>
>>55196606
>>55196644
Where does >>55196562 say anything about blocking heat?
>>
>>55196619
>both attack actions
First off, you only take one attack action, but anyway you can split up your attacks however you like. You're not forced to use all your attacks at the same time like in previous editions

>>55196660
>spell immediately goes off before you're disintegrated by the heat
>disintegrated by the heat
>by the heat
>heat
>>
>>55196625
>>55196636
>The Master Sword is a sentient weapon
OH MY FUCKING GOD
>>
>>55196681
LINK IS A HEXBLADE WARLOCK
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>55196671
Ok so a Monk wanting to take the attack action can split it so their flurry happens in between the two attacks.
>>
>>55196693
Yep
>>
>>55196710
Ok, now I feel slightly bad because I was under the impression you could move but you had to finish the attack action before doing other.
>>
>>55193479
Variant human, magic iniatiate warlock?

Eldritch Blast, GFB, and Hex?
>>
File: ytho.jpg (865KB, 1813x2111px) Image search: [Google]
ytho.jpg
865KB, 1813x2111px
>>55196726
>magic iniatiate warlock
>>
>>55196693
Yes. Read PHB pg.190, breaking up your move for more information.
>>
>>55196719
You only have one attack action. Extra attack adds to your action, it doesn't give you a second attack action.
>>
Links a valor bard, he's a jack of all traits with a penchant for music and often has magical cpabilities.

Also, Breath of the Wild would make a neat setting.
>>
File: VeryHard.png (162KB, 470x492px) Image search: [Google]
VeryHard.png
162KB, 470x492px
>>55196620
>enlarge the earth beneath you
>gravity doubles
>humans are suddenly much weaker
>buildings come crumbling down
>more gravitational pull on the oceans causes tsunamis, earthquakes
>cause utter and worldwide chaos with a 2nd level spell
>>
>>55196765
Ok I'll read that section

>>55196776
Yes that was a misspeak on my part, what I originally meant is you have to use up the extra attack given by the feature when you take the attack action before being able to do something like flurry of blows.
>>
>>55196671
Yes, you're disintegrated by the heat, because darkness doesn't block it. I don't understand what you're saying.
>>
>>55196834
>spell says weight increases by 8x
>gravity increases by 8x
>>
>>55194187
Seduced a seahag as a gentlemanly old EK to circumvent a potentially very deadly encounter.
She got pregnant. The dm has nefarious plans, I can tell.
>>
File: AbsolutelyHalal.jpg (44KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
AbsolutelyHalal.jpg
44KB, 640x539px
>>55196882
Even better.
>>
>>55196942
With 8x the gravity the moon would cone crashing down.
>>
>>55196965
>destroy all life on earth
>with a second level spell

Why haven't BBEGs done this yet?
>>
>>55196998
Because most BBEG don't want to die too?
>>
>>55196759
He wanted eldritch blast?

I don't think it's a great idea either.
>>
>>55197031
>adventurers have you cornered and almost dead
>you have nothing to lose

?
>>
>>55197071
You could be resurrect 100 years later, have some clones or some other evil plan.
>>
>>55197082
>be resurrected
>have clones

You're just a level 5 wizard with Enlarge/Reduce, remember?
>>
>>55196830
Good point, I could see him laying down some sick ocarina solos.

Also, Zelda 1 Link is a Champion Fighter
>>
>>55197123

I feel like it depends on the zelda.

Zelda 1 would just be a champion fighter.
Zelda 2 is probably an EK
OoT/MM/WW would likely be valor bard
LTTP/Minish might be an artificer or thief togue (No spells but lots of magic items)
Twilight princess is a battlemaster
SS has to be hexblade
BotW would be a ranger, probably hunter or monster hunter.
>>
>>55197247
>TP
>Link turns into a wolf and back again
Druid, man
>>
>>55197112
Then he isn't a BBEG at all?
>>
>>55197247
Having a magic instrument doesn't make you a bard. Link is basically always a fighter with tons of magic items. Zelda 2 is the closest to being a gish with his spells known.
>>
>>55197112
Evil people have people they care about. Only friendless autistic like you want to destroy the world.
>>
>>55197034
...You can get everything mentioned just by being a Warlock, Magic Initiate is redundant
>>
>>55197343
But it's (possibly) easier to deal with than a dip.
>>
>>55197265

His is forced for most the game and afterwards it's done through a magical item.

He can do sick sword moves though

Lycanthrope blademaster.
>>
>>55197343

Yeah, and delay caster progression by 1-2 levels?
>>
>>55197303

But all the versatile magic instrumemts require you to have bard levels.
>>
>>55197397
>delay caster progression
Wouldn't his other levels be Fighter though?
>>
>>55197283
Sure he is, for a level 1 party.

>>55197304
What? When did I say I wanted to destroy the world? What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
New thread >>55197470
New thread >>55197470
New thread >>55197470
New thread >>55197470
>>
>>55197437
Ah, but Eldritch Knight is still a caster. 1/3 caster, but caster nevertheless.

Fighter gets enough feats that it's not so bad anyhow, and having passable CHA for your warlock magic initiate isn't such a bad thing.
>>
>>55197437

You're delaying your ability to cast sword.

(Seriously though, you're delaying extra attack and shit, with all the asi/feats fighters get it's better to take one of those.
Thread posts: 408
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.