[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 34

File: adam-barker-3-render-3.jpg (517KB, 1920x2715px) Image search: [Google]
adam-barker-3-render-3.jpg
517KB, 1920x2715px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55106650

Which setting would you like WotC to give some attention to next? Why that setting, specifically?
>>
Is a Strength based Mystic viable?
>>
File: 1441579658536.jpg (343KB, 840x672px) Image search: [Google]
1441579658536.jpg
343KB, 840x672px
>>55111543
>>
>>55111543
Anyone here have any experience running/converting Maze of the Blue Medusa to 5e? I know that I'll probably have to bump HD up to d8, as well as some of the damage dice.
>>
>>55111543
Eberron. I really love me some robots.
>>
Why are humans a shit in this version?
>>
>>55111666
They aren't satan, they get a free feat at level 1
>>
>>55111570
mystic isn't viable at all, wait till 2018 when the class makes a version that makes sense

>>55111666
because they were too strong in previous versions
>>
Why is the system so fun?
>>
Is a druid/wizard workable at all?
>>
>>55111691

That's Variant Humans, anon. Humans get +1 to all abilities.
>>
>>55111701
Because it is so barebones, without too many features that any individual DM would hate
>>
Are there any resources for a thieves guild/mob based dungeon in a city? How would you go about constructing something like that?
>>
>>55111718
>implying varient human isn't standard at this point
>>
>>55111767
variant human is banned at every sensible table because it's blatantly better than every other race
>>
>>55111543
Eberon. We've had like 5 adventures set in Faerun. I never played in Eberon back in the day but I appreciate its aesthetic and it is certainly different that Forgotten Realms.

(real answer: Mytara but that will never happen)
>>
For those of you that have played Adventurer's League.
What is the number one red flag a new player has ever given you?
>>
>>55111750
Ever played pokemon?
Hide a secret passage in whatever establishment you have for gambling. It's built beneath the city, also has sewer access.
>>
>>55111543
Planescape because I love it and would love some 5th edition attention to it.
>>
>>55111543
Dark Sun, dammit!
>>
>>55111796

Any table that bans it can fuck off, if it's legal in AL and it's not at your table then you're a faggot.
>>
What's the difference between "the awakened mystic" and the more recent one?
>>
>>55111796
How do you feel about half elf.
>>
>>55111796
But without it every other race is better than Human.
>>
>>55111796
and yet, in our last game, we had 6 players and only two played humans.
>>
>>55111878
Your point?
>>
>>55111818
That's... A good idea thanks
>>
>>55111867
>AL

>>55111875
Half elf doesn't get a feat and is basically just a human with long ears anyway, except they don't suck ass. Cool class, especially because CHA is actually a great stat in this edition.

>>55111878
Do you really think "humans are the best choice for every single build" is better than each build having various races that are good for it?

>>55111881
"People at my table didn't take advantage of how good something is so it's fine and not problematic" hasn't been an argument for decades.

Feats are way too strong to get one for free at level 1, being able to get a bunch of 16's too is just absurd
>>
>>55111867
>implying AL is sensable
actually I play AL because its actually a good group in my area guess I got lucky
>>
>>55111891
Having a feat fits humans very well. You lose out on more specialized ability scores and possible darkvision / innate spell casting / not needing to sleep / etc. Honestly they should just remove variant human and make it the basic human.
>>
>>55111891
A healthy medium would be nice- PHB humans are boring as hell (+1 to all stats and no other bonuses, woo!) but Variant ones are too powerful. I try to even it out by giving everyone a free feat and giving humans +2/+1 and two skill proficiencies.
>>
>>55111916
Do you really think variant human is best for every build? You seem to care far too much about feats.
>>
>>55111867
I've banned it. And yes, your father sucks my dick while your mom watches from the closet. They also tell how much of a disappointment you are to them.
>>
So after running an 8 month long campaign one of my players has decided to take up the DM role and I finally get to be a PC again.

I'm probably going to run an arcane archer but all of the arrow abilities look so fun and I'm having a hard time picking 2, can anyone sell me on any of them?
>>
>>55111924
>>55111942
What build is not done best by +2 to one stat, +1 to another, and some beefy feat feature that's generally way better than racial traits? Assuming you don't just take crossbow master at first level or some other weapon feat that makes you absurdly better than any other martial character for many levels before they can slowly catch up, which just feels shitty.
>>
Speaking of bans, I saw a group that listed among it's banned UA the whisper and sword bard colleges. Any reason for this? The rest of the stuff was pretty sensible
>>
>>55111942
look how many salty assholes are crying at the idea of not getting their level 1 feat and tell me what you think.
>>
>>55111933
That's a worse Half-Elf
>>
>>55111967
>+2 to one stat, +1 to another
>variant human
Excuse me?
>>
>>55111967
>+2 to one stat, +1 to another
At least know what you're complaining about before you complain about it, please.
>>
I want to play one of the Unearthed Arcana Rogues (Scout and Inquisitor) If my current sorcerer dies. Anyone have any experience with them?
>>
>>55111955
Woah dude, carefil not to cute yourself on tnat industrial grade edge.
>>
>>55111984
>>55111987
Variant human gets +1 in two stats, then you take a feat that gives you another +1 in your main stat, so it's effectively +2/+1

Are you going to actually argue the point I'm making, or just spout off like a bunch of ignorant dorks?
>>
>>55111916
>Bunch of 16's
You can only get up to 3 16's, assuming that you drop your other 3 stats to 8. The average build is likely to get 2 16's, versus if you went with another race you would likely have a 17 and a 16.

As for combined with feats: There's a reason a lot of people suggest not letting people have the master/sharpshooter.etc feats. There's a good number of feats that are more fluff focused.

Half elves were brought up because they are the best race alongside v.human.
>>
>>55111994
>not to cute yourself

You mom thinks my ass looks cute when I pound your dad in the ass. That's just the kind of faggot who bans variant humans from his table I am.
>>
>>55111990
They have the same problem as every rogue that isn't swashbuckler or AT, they aren't actually effective and just give you a bunch of super gimmicky tricks that largely require the GM to work halfway with you (which the AT is the king of)

>>55112020
The point I was making isn't that getting 16's is super rare, it's that being able to get 1-2 16's without completely handicapping your stat build AND getting a feat is way too good
>>
>>55112013
>+1 stat feats
>better than racials
still not seeing it m8
>>
>>55112013
>then you take a feat that gives you another +1 in your main stat
that pretty strongly limits your choice of feats hombre. most feats that give you a stat bonus aren't that great.

If you're talking about UA expertise feats then you only have yourself to blame for not realizing that UA isn't built to be perfectly balanced
>>
>>55112013
The most broken feats do not give you + in stats.
>>
>>55111975
Anyone?
>>
>>55112062
Getting 1-2 16's without handicapping your stat build isn't very difficult. Point buy gets you to 15, then literally any race that gives the stat bonuses you want will push you further than that. Hell, if someone went dwarf they can get two 17's - or if they go the aforementioned half elf they get a +2, AND two +1's to work with.

Yes, feats are absolutely powerful. No doubt about that. That's why people often recommend limiting the most game changing feats until level four. Yes, getting a stat bonus from a feat can certainly be powerful - but the feats that give stat bonuses tend to be ones that lean more on flavor. Just get people to lean more towards the flavor ones; because humans race packages are pretty shit without feats.
>>
File: expanded.png (259KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
expanded.png
259KB, 500x502px
Guys it's simple

Just ban GWM, PAM, SS, and XBE as starting feats for Variant Humans.

They can take them later but not at Level 1.
>>
>>55112138
just skimming the college of whispers my only guess is that it feels too edgelordy for some peoples taste. I can only guess as to the reason for college of swords.
>>
>>55112138
>>55112212
It's UA is another reason
>>
>>55112057

Just because this is a sfw board doesn't mean 12 year olds are allowed on here kid.

Keep your edge to the comment sections of linkin park videos.
>>
What beast stat block should I pick for my Artificer's mechanical servant? I was thinking Giant Toad just for flavor and reskinning is as a walking iron maiden-like suit of armor. The flavor seems cool but the min/maxer in me doesn't like choosing a CR1 monster. Should I just go Rhino or Eagle instead?
>>
>>55112204
yeah I already came up with that dummy
>>
File: IMG_3429.jpg (30KB, 280x241px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3429.jpg
30KB, 280x241px
I've got a bit of an odd question for you guys.

In an upcoming game, I have a Ranger with an animal companion, and another player playing a race clearly based off the same kind of animal.

How the hell should I handle this?

I don't want to tell either player no, but it raises all sorts of bizarre questions in my mind about how an actual animal would interact with an animal-person of the same 'species'.
>>
>>55112236
This was on a list of banned UA though, with the general assumption that anything else is okay
>>
>>55112268

Better idea: dont play artificer until it gets a major revision.
>>
>>55112267
Who is the bigot calling people faggots for not allowing an optional rule. There is plenty of 'edge' to go around.
>>
>tfw half-orcs (barring variant human nonsense) are the best martials
>tfw get shit on for liking half-orcs

It ain't easy being green.
>>
>>55112280

It might be funny just to let it play out.
>>
>>55112280

are they... of different genders?
>>
>>55112280
How do humans interact with chimps? Maybe the race is slightly condescending towards the animal in a 'aw look it think it's people' way
>>
>>55112280
Like goofy and pluto
>>
>>55112204
i never even really understood the point of taking GWM or SS at first level, you're to-hit is low, and most enemies can be taken out with one or two solid hits anyways.
>>
Ask before but didn't get a response.
Best/favorite illusionist build?
>>
>>55112340
>>55112333
Or a dragonborn/kobold type deal
>>
>>55112347
which is why banning it is pretty silly in the first place it's a gamble
>>
>>55112311
>It might be funny just to let it play out.

Of course, but I'm wondering if any of you have come across at similar situation and how it played out for you.

A Tabaxi and an actual panther, or a worgen knock-off with an actual wolf.

That sort of thing.

>>55112316
I have no idea.

But I'm not running *that* kind of game.
>>
>>55112347
now taking Dungeon Delver at level one, with a DM that likes throwing traps around, THAT's overpowered.
>>
What about a variant human that gets a pick of two to 3 racial features, justified by their mixed heriatage and integration into other societies.
>>
>>55112410
Two to three racial features from what?
>>
Just started playing in a Horde of the Dragon Queen campaign. I know I'm going to roughly 10th level. Made a level 1 Half-Orc Melee Ranger with favored enemy Dragon. I died during the first session, but am pretty sure I will be res'd back. What should I take in future levels and why?

I heavily enjoy thematics but also like being OP (I know I sure as hell went in the opposite direction with my choices).
>>
>>55112284
Oh my bad, bouncing between threads and misread
>>
>>55112427

Any other race.
>>
>>55112377
I just imagined a wolf companion and a wolf-man both scratching their ear at the same time, right next to each other. The party looks over, and the wolf-man, embarrassed, says "I don't know him." The wolf barks.
>>
>>55112377
it'll only get weird if someone makes it weird, just don't let it get weird, unless it'll make for a great story, then just say fuck it all and let it happen
>>
>>55112410
fuck no
>>
>>55112446
You have to put some limit on that or people are going to be pulling 120 foot darkvision 50 foot flight humans out of every orifice
>>
>>55112446
That seems like that might even be more ridiculous, to some degree. It also creates some really awkward situations where EVERY human is a weird mutt of races fucking their ancestors.
>>
Think Arcane Archer will be redone to be more like EK and AT with some actual spellcasting too?
>>
>>55112347
Gets it out of the way pretty much, or if you have someone in the party who can give you a slight edge to hit early on that can help out by making that two solid hits a one for sure.
>>
>>55112469
Nah, I kinda doubt it.
Wish they'd give you the option to make your shots elemental. Like the nature cleric's.
>>
What character have you personally had the most fun playing? What race/class/subclass were they?
>>
I mean previous editions let humans gain exp faster, but with most people usuing milestone I'm not sure thwt's all too useful.
>>
>>55112483

I wish arcane archer worked with crossbows too.
>>
File: ash wink.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
ash wink.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>55112347
>>55112382

>be Variant Human
>+1 racial to Wisdom makes it 16 (+3)
>take Observant feat (+5)
>pick Perception as a bonus skill proficiency (+2)
>choose Rogue as my class
>pick Perception as one of my Expertise skills (+2)

>tfw you ruin every single surprise, trap, and ambush the DM could possibly plan because you have a Passive Perception of 22 at Level 1 and they can't just make stupid-high DC hazards without fucking over the rest of the party
>>
>>55112347
eh if you roll well, you can get +5 at level 1, so it makes it not crazy to take GWM or SS, hell even just canceling out the negative effect can be fine versus most shit you'd fight at level 1-3
>>
>>55112524

>rolling for stats

Nigga pls
>>
Does Arcane Archer even work that well considering you can only use 2 of its main abilities every short rest? Shouldn't it be like 2 + INT modifier?
>>
>>55112469
Nah. I don't see spellcasting.
>>55112483
That would be pretty sweet, though.
>>
>>55112520
Does it not?
>>55112548
It REALLY should. Hopefully they address that.
>>
>>55112489
Frenzy barbarian with 1 lvl dip in steam knight (it's a homebrew artifice subclass).
It's a medium armored barbarian with a weapon unique to them, steam spear (heavy,reach,two handed). And you can expend a class recourse to use the steam spear as a rocket dash 20ft in any direction.

My jump height was 6ft. Unarmed reach was 11.5ft. Weapon reach was 10ft and attack range was 10ft. Plus the 20ft vertical dash.

So when I told the DM I wanted to hit the guy that was flying 30ft in the air he looked at me funny. But I jumped, then ran the Wyrmling through with the heavy spear, and as I reached the apex of the jump I began falling back past the dragon and (frenzy barb bonus action attack) volleyballed the dragon deep into the ground.

It's honestly really really fun to play a super mobile melee character.
>>
>Player wants to run the UA ranger because the PHB ranger is weak
>Read through it. Seems okay.
>He chose "Humanoid: Orc" as his favored enemy.
>Can now use Primeval awareness as Orc Radar whenever he wants.

Now the fuck what. I've been able to creatively problem solve a lot of things. But now I'm at an impasse. He's checking pretty constantly (honestly one minute isn't that long, so it's no issue) and I have two options:

1) Reduce the number of orcs as planned enemies as they are now suspense-less creatures.

2) Alter his character abilities which is shitty to do so after the fact. Not to mention I have no idea how I'd alter it to balance it.
>>
>>55112548

You looking at the revised verdion? Revised gives the ability to turn non magic arrows into +1 arrows at level 3, and later gives you the ability to redirect your missed shots to a new target as a bonus action, then later you get 1 charge of your spell arrows back if you have none when you roll initiative.

>>55112583
Nope, shortbows and longbows only.
>>
>>55112615

Stop throwing orcs at them, dumbass.
>>
>>55112615

UA ranger doesn't require you to specify a humanoid race like phb does, it applies to ALL humanoids.
>>
>>55112638
I don't, you cunt. But they remain a major geopolitical player and part of the backstories of several players. Now instead of there being any surprise, they can use ranger radar to track whoever they want down.

>>55112640
Haha, you're right. I'm fucked.
>>
>>55112615
Switch to Hobgoblins, or start having the orcs sell their souls to infernal masters and thus becoming Fiends.

Perhaps this is one thing that should be toned down about revised ranger.
>>
>>55112660

Normally I frown on DM's nerfing classes, but with UA DM's are given that perogative as part of a playtest.

I say nerf the features a little, but let them change their favored enemies on short or long rest.
>>
>>55111960
I'd pick Seeking and either Piercing, Burst or Grasping
>>
>>55112619
>Nope, shortbows and longbows only.
Well, that's bullshit.
>>
>>55112667
So, yes. I'm aware that "reduce the number of orcs" is the easiest solution. But holy fuck it feels contrived as fuck, right? And my players aren't stupid. They'll definitely recognize that the orcs are suddenly disappearing.

It's also sort of shitty to deprive a player of a skill even if that skill is broken. I wish there was a middle ground. Hoping the fat guys had solutions.

>>55112692
Good point. He's not going to like me changing his ability but that's sort of part of the deal. Hopefully he won't fuss too much.

Thoughts as to how you'd nerf?
>>
>>55112268
Don't try to pretend that isn't your fetish
>>
>>55112692
>>55112724

>nerf favored enemy damage bonus to +1 and greater favored to +2.
>during a long rest you may switch these out for a different enemy
>>
>>55112309
Half-orcs are grey
>>
>>55112615
I feel like that actually makes them MORE suspenseful creatures; its kind of fucking stressful if you go "Hey so you detect like three hundred orcs in this direction". It can even make it into plot hooks, since WHY are there so many orcs in the area.

Its only no suspense if you're throwing small ambush parties at them. Now make it about why those parties are there, and where they are coming from.

(But as others have said, its ALL humanoids, so he's already nerfed it from what its written).
>>
>>55112724
>They'll definitely recognize that the orcs are suddenly disappearing.

Maybe an even bigger threat than orcs is starting to take out the orcs, and that's why their numbers are dwindling. The plot shifts to finding out why the mighty orcs are thinning and fleeing to the far reaches of the land, and learning how to stop it before it reaches civilization proper.

Suggestions: gnolls, Unseelie fey, petty fiends, undead invasion.
>>
>>55112489
Bearbarian purely because the DM was the type who like killing PCs and if you have half a brain then you can't die as a bearbarian
>>
>>55112735
I feel like that fits better for a monster hunter subclass versus the ranger proper. That's less "favored enemy" and more "I guess I prepared for these guys this time".

Also, +1/+2 seems pretty damned piddly. AT LEAST make it +2/+2
>>
>>55112735
The damage isn't so much an issue. It's the fact you can use Primeval Awareness to basically track the creatures without rolling anything, do it every goddamn minute, and spam whenever to judge exactly where they are. e.g. "Can I sense if they are closer?"

>>55112749
good point.

>>55112751
Gnolls are based. This might be a good solution. This is a creative way to fix a mechanical problem anon.
>>
>>55112548
>waah I get +8 to hit at level 3 and can reroll attacks give me more waah
>>
>>55112489
My Dwarf Mountian (land) Druid X sorcerer 1 with Wizard ritual casting
>>
>>55112765
>>55112489

My favorite is Barbarian too because honestly, no archetype is for fun for me to play than "big fucking dude who makes big fuckin attacks and absorbs big fuckin damage like a big fuckin sponge."
>>
>>55112522
>tfw you dont bother checking for traps, you just notice them automatically at the last second
>>
>>55112489
Human Ancients Oath Paladin, follower of Sune, Performer background.
He was a party guy who did his best to make people feel good about themselves and find the inner light. He mostly operated on the maxim "beautiful is not always good, but good is always beautiful," except not really because he believed beauty is inherently valuable and putting effort into one's appearance is a positive quality.
Other personal rules included "never turn down anyone for sex unless they're ugly on both the inside and out.
>>
>>55112615
>Walking through swamp
>Smug ass xXxArag0Rn420xXx stops to use his GAYDAR
>Detects 24 Orcs all around them in the dank swamp
>Let's go kill them all guys!
>As the party fumbles through the swamp, the 24 orc 'dots' in his gaydar seem to keep a specific distance from them and are clearly watching them in a specific pattern to catch anyone who breaks away from the group
>Orcs send in pakcs of Wargs to attempt to grapple and drag the fuckboi wizard further into the swamp so the orc archers in the mangrove trees can shoot him in the boipussi with their [/spoiler]arrows because Orcs aren't gay like Elves are[/spoiler].

Ranger may be able to detect they are around but so what? Unless you are literally only throwing sneaky orcs at them, there are plenty of ways of dealing with it.
>>
>>55112884
>Rolls a nat one on posting spoilers

Too bad I picked Variant Human and not Hafling so I could reroll that, r-r-right guys?
>>
File: a47cytaeu4tfu.png (343KB, 313x623px) Image search: [Google]
a47cytaeu4tfu.png
343KB, 313x623px
>>55112900
>Picking a race for mechanical reasons, ever
>>
Thinking of doing Variant Human with Arcane Archer.

Should I take Magic Initiate in order to make use of the fact that I need a decent INT for DCs? What cantrips/spell should I take?
>>
>>55112926
>And yet faggots in this thread are whining about Variant Human because it's mechanically OP

Irony
>>
>>55112884
It's a five mile radius detection. It's not a short radius. It also doesn't require any 'stopping to use it'; it's just effectively one minute concentration (not)-spell that has absolutely no limitation on its use; so he can get updates every minute.
>>
>>55112942
(wizard spell list)
Light is always good, especially since you're human.
Prestidigitation makes for great flavoring. Literally—you can reflavor food, heat things, dry things, cool them, wetten them, etc etc. It's fucking incredible.
Mending can make neat grenades out of alchemist's fire and eggshells that you've emptied and mended
Since you're ranged with high dex (therefore high iniative) True Strike could be good for crit-farming.
Poison spray may use a CON save, but 10 feet means you can use it in melee and scamper the fuck away without attacks of opportunity.
Thunderclap could be good AoE if you get surrounded.
You can't go wrong with Shield. On the off-chance that something gets to you and through your dex-powered AC you can throw that up. But once per long rest is pretty shit.
Tasha's Hideous Laughter could work for incapacitating stronger enemies while you chip away at the weaker ones.
Tenser's Floating Disk is a ritual spell that lets you carry all your shit, which is good since you're building a dex character.
>>
Help me decide.
Abj wizard or nature cleric?
>>
File: Concerned Skeltal.jpg (112KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
Concerned Skeltal.jpg
112KB, 572x303px
>>55112976

Maybe I'm missing something but it very specifically states it is a 1 mile radius, at the cost of a spell slot and orcs/humanoids are not on the list of creatures you can ping. It's 6 miles if you are in your favored terrain, sure but it isn't nearly as busted as people are saying,

You can't even use it on Orcs in the scenario presented. Hell, you can't do it on humanoids. Undead would be a good one sure but honestly, you guys are blowing this wwaayy out of proportion.

Is my handbook different or some shit? Please link whatever version you are reading from because that is not what's in my handbook.
>>
>>55113046
Divination wizard
>>
File: Antimage.png (352KB, 674x674px) Image search: [Google]
Antimage.png
352KB, 674x674px
>>55113046
Abjuration Wizard. Become the spellbreaker, the anti-mage, the silencer. Lawful Neutral.
>>
>>55113059
no
>>
>>55113072
Yes
>>
>>55113076
no means no, dad
>>
>>55113076
>>55113072

Let's divine the answer... oh wait, we can't because we aren't divination wizards yet.
>>
>>55113089
I'm already a wizard what do I have to do to get the diviner title?
>>
>>55113100
magic initiate cleric
>>
>>55113100
Very high deception rolls.
>>
>>55112775

The idea of having a favored enemy is problematic because its a core feature that can end up useless.

The idea of being prepared to hunt specific targets is healthier and more thematic.
>>
>>55113070
Why lawful neutral?
>>
>>55113053

Search up revised ranger, its the reworked ranger because the one in the gandbook was too shit.
>>
>>55113140
>The idea of being prepared to hunt specific targets is healthier and more thematic.
I completely agree with this.
However, I would make it take at least 8 hours of prep time. Similar to a high level wizard changing out the spell they can cast at will.
Flavor it as a training montage.
>>
>>55113154
All other alignments are for idealistic hippies, vigilantes, criminals and rulebenders.

In all seriousness, my Abjuration wizard in 3.5 was Lawful Neutral out of a dead serious respect for magic and how terrifyingly powerful it can be in the wrong hands. Even the best of men can fall once they taste power.
>>
>>55113165
I'm looking at the UA Ranger, maybe that is the wrong book but it literally just says under the ability: "See player's handbook".

Honestly, even if there is another Revised Ranger book that I am unaware of, just use the old ranger's version since it is no where near busted and actually just 'ok'
>>
>>55113196
I was thinking of being neutral good bc I wanna protec my frans.
>>
>>55112739
No theyre red
>>
>>55112724
Have you tried... having the Orcs act like they have goddamn brains?
"Gee Grok we keep getting slaughtered in the woods by that scary dude with the scimitars and bow."
"Good point Krunk, we should start moving in groups 40 strong."

Let him see them coming.
Directly toward them, with the help of a highly-skilled tracker and/or magic, with intent to murder. Make the Orcs fight back.

Honestly, 99% of the problems I see in 5eg are "How do I make my players stop acting like this is a video game? Also I don't want to seriously threaten or challenge them."
>>
>>55113235
>Anything but lawful

Heresy, get outta my face!
>>
>>55113216
There are two version of revised ranger. Are you sure you are looking at the "Revised Ranger" and not "UA Ranger"?
>>
>>55113216

PHB ranger is not ok, It's capital S shit.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

Thats rsvised ranger.
>>
>>55111543
Need new material.
Need to min-max, but I have nothing left to min-max.
WIZARDS YOU'RE LEAVING ME DRY FOR SO LONG
>>
>>55113257
>2d4 hit points
>>
>>55113216
> Ranger is ok
> When even the dev realized that it fall behind other class both in power and satisfaction

What did he mean by this?
>>
First time DM running LMoP.

When my players enter Cragmaw Cave, after their first combat encounter, should I keep them in initiative for the rest of the cave?

Can I get some advice on when to shift out of initiative?
>>
>>55113179

That's fair honestly.
>>
>>55112615
> Shitty DM who can't deal with player's divination spells
>>
>>55113257
Yeah I'm looking at UA so that's the issue but it seems like a simple fix: Don't let rangers use the new and busted "Revised" version of the ability which is clearly broken.

>>55113260
I know it is shit, trust me I didn't play it because I read the classes before I play them. But the PHB version of Primeval Awareness isn't broken, it's just a 5/10 ability.. 7/10 if you are in an undead heavy campaign so just make players use the PHB ranger's Primeval Awareness but get whatever else isn't broken out of Revised Ranger.
>>
>>55113256
Give me another chance papa
>>
>>55113294
Initiative ends when contested actions between characters ends.
If people aren't in combat combat ends, and initiative is over.
>>
>>55113294
When they don't see enemies or relevant timed traps they leave Initiative. It's that simple.

If they're about to be ambushed, tell them to make perception checks as combat ends.
Those who pass are not surprised. Everyone else is. Make a surprise round and roll a new Initiative.
>>
>>55113276
>Ranger is ok
>Doesn't realize I said "Primeval Awareness is just ok" and didn't make that connection even though the entire conversation has been about that one ability

You must be pretending to be retarded. You got me broseph, here's your (you)
>>
>>55113294
I find staying in initiative order is better for exploration. It stop that guy from doing multiple thing and hogging all the table time.

Just roll new initiate once new combat start.
>>
>>55113303
The only thing I have a problem with though, is that it seems kinda silly for you to suddenly forget how to fight them as easily as before.
But then again, I think it's silly wizards can forget how to cast those low level spells as effortlessly when they swap too.
>>
>>55113308

Oh sorry, I thought you meant "Just stick to PHB Ranger all together"
>>
>>55113318
>surprise round
>not even using passive perception vs stealth

rustled/10
>>
>>55113334

Yeah but how else was Gygax supposed to show his raging hard on for Vancian magic, even though not only is it a stupid system, it's nonsensical?
>>
>>55113318
The term surprised round doesn't exist in 5e.
>>
File: Blood Puke.gif (350KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Puke.gif
350KB, 500x282px
>>55113336
I am very sorry to the people in this thread who think I said that. I vomited a little thinking that I, unintentionally made people think I said that. Nobody in their right fucking mind would stick to vanilla Ranger.

Replace ONLY Primeval Awareness of Revised Ranger with the old version. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT play vanilla ranger.
>>
>>55113351

Vancian magic:

"I need to cast fireball"
>casts fireball
"Durr, what's fireball again?"
>>
>>55113343
>>55113357
It does when I run it, senpai.
>>
>>55113362
b-but muh beast master with muh 4-hp-per-level cow that uses my action to attack =(
>>
>>55113375

Notto disu shitto agen
>>
>>55113375
desu I'm more annoyed when DMs call for random perception checks than the notion of a surprised round.
Surprised should really just be thought of as a condition.
>>
>>55113357
Literally kill yourself
>>
File: sadness.png (225KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
sadness.png
225KB, 600x420px
>>55113362
>Nobody in their right fucking mind would stick to vanilla Ranger
haha yeah right
>>
File: kek.gif (897KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
897KB, 800x430px
>>55113383
>Cow

If you pick a fucking cow as your beast then you can play at my table, I am patient with people with autism
>>
>>55113406
>not playing a beastmaster ranger/bard named Jack with his cow, Milky White for your SKT campaign

THERE ARE GIANTS IN THE SKKKYYY
>>
>>55113375
>>55113390
There's literally nothing wrong with using a surprise round as a houserule. But when you suggest it in a public forum you should point out that it's a houserule so innocent posters won't get confused.

>>55113406
Is a cow really more autistic than the literal thousands of rangers with wolves?
>>
File: Adolphetahn's stat block.png (214KB, 288x303px) Image search: [Google]
Adolphetahn's stat block.png
214KB, 288x303px
>>55113406
look at those thick beefy stats
mmmm
juicy
>>
>>55113398
What's wrong grandpa? Can't you adapt to the new system? Are you still saying AoO instead of OA too?
>>
>>55113437
>Are you still saying AoO instead of OA too?
Yes.
>>
File: DoYouNot.jpg (9KB, 304x228px) Image search: [Google]
DoYouNot.jpg
9KB, 304x228px
>>55113437
>>
File: Gangsta Penguin.jpg (32KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Gangsta Penguin.jpg
32KB, 640x640px
>>55113428
_no
>>
>>55113428
Wolves is standard stereotypical ranger pet. The real red flag is panther or other big cat.
>>
I don't get why people say the Revised Primeval Awareness is overpowered.
It gives you a vague ping, at best.

It only tells you
1. If they're in the area and which types
2. Their approximate direction
3. Very, very approximate distance, measured in miles.

Honestly if it's less than a mile you can easily get away with saying "You feel Orcs are near. You'd better stay alert."

Plus it takes a solid minute, which means it's not something you'll generally do on a moment-to-moment basis.
It's meant to be something you do for a broader, overland form of movement--to avoid that big Orc Warband, or follow it, etc.
It's not meant to be a magical "detect everything forever" radar, and if your player does that... talk to them. Tell them that they're leaning on it way too hard and it's getting a bit difficult to work with.

Natural Explorer is way more broken. Needs to be way more tightened up.
I usually go with
- You ignore naturally-occuring difficult terrain within your favored terrain.
- You have advantage on Initiative rolls in your favored terrain
- You have advantage against creatures that haven't acted yet (No change on this one.)

The second section needs to be burned down entirely. It's literally "choose this class to remove all interest from overland travel and wilderness adventures: the ability."
>>
Surprise/passive perception and all that shit is why I intentionally opt to play characters with low perception and never touch the alert feat to keep myself from sperging out at the table. I just know the DM would fuck up the rules and I wouldn't be able to contain myself.
>>
>>55112522
>tfw you ruin every single surprise, trap, and ambush the DM could possibly plan because you have a Passive Perception of 22 at Level 1 and they can't just make stupid-high DC hazards without fucking over the rest of the party

>Help! My player built his character to be good at something! Now he's good at it! What do I do?
>>
>>55113456
How is a big cat animal companion a red flag?
>>
>>55113471
Cat people have autism. Just like Drizzt.
>>
>>55113471
Presumably because that's the pet Drizzt has
>>
How would one build Lelouche?

Enchantment Wizard? Bard?
>>
How to play wizards for fun and profit? I have a character and personality ready I just need to fit it into a wizard chassis to finish rounding out my party. What kind of things can wizards do?

>inb4 anything they want they're fucking wizards
>>
>>55113460
BabbyD M's won't let their player rangers have their class fantasy.
It's not a balance issue in the least.
>>
>>55113483
>What kind of things can wizards do?
Magic. They can do magic.
>>
>>55113479
Its not even his animal companion its a fucking magic item can you get more autistic seriously
>>
>>55113483
Transmutation wizard.
You can do all sorts of shenanigans. Also, fuck locked chests. Turn them into wood and smash that shit.
>>
>>55113493
>knowing this much about drizzt and calling other people autistic
>>
>>55113493
Thank you for showing everyone why cat people are bad. Literally, autistic.
>>
>>55113493
You're missing the whole point.
The spirit summoned by the magical item IS his animal companion. That's how much of a fucking snowflake he is.
Honestly, reread Homeland. It's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>55113482
Lore Master wizard, so you can actually consistently dominate people by making your target make a save it's bad at against your dominate-effects.
>>
>>55113496
And don't forget to turn stuff into stone and then stone shape them.
>>
>>55113505
I saw it in a discussion about Drizzt in /5eg/ once
>>55113513
Thas not a snowflake thats a fucking blizzard
>>
Think taking shield of faith as a 1/day spell via magic initiate would be worth it?
>>
File: Player's Handbook p 189.jpg (1021KB, 1971x1795px) Image search: [Google]
Player's Handbook p 189.jpg
1021KB, 1971x1795px
>>55113396
I use Passive Perception unless the players say "I look hard at (the hallway/the treeline/in that hole in the wall)"
That's what it's for.

>>55113390
>>55113428
Except you're both wrong. Here's the page to prove it.
It's literally the first rule of Combat
>>
>>55113476
>>55113479
Who the fuck is Drizzt
How do you even pronounce that
>>
>>55113539
>I use Passive Perception unless the players say "I look hard at (the hallway/the treeline/in that hole in the wall)"
Then you're doing it correctly. God speed.
>>
>>55113483
>What kind of things can wizards do?
Literally everything. They're WotC's favorite class. The class itself is a Mary Sue.
>>
>>55113482
Noble NPC with at will Dominate Monster with no concentration, no save allowed and duration until dispelled

Bump his INT to 20 and give him proficiency with chess
>>
>>55113527

Too bad no one lets you play loremaster, and wizards dropped it after the backlash so it's never getting reworked.
>>
>>55113483
>Transmutation Wizard
>Total con-artist
>Use Minor Alchemy to turn twigs and shit into silver 'artwork' then sell it to retarded, snooty rich people
>Leave town long before they find your ass
>Actually be really fucking friendly and care about people. occasionally use your con skills to help the poor and shit
>Wanted to be an artist but didn't have the snooty credentials, the charisma and you weren't dead so your shit didn't sell well.
>Turn to magic, rip-off shitbag richfolk who wouldn't buy your art.
>>
>>55113542
>How do you even pronounce that
Dr-iz-zt
>>
>>55113542
Like the sound the operation board game makes when you fuck up.
>>
>>55113553

I meant as a player, but I'm slipping that into a campaign at some point.
>>
>>55113552
Well they aren't fighters of the coast
>>
>>55113542
"Drizzt" is like "drizzle" but you click your tongue at the end. Drizz-t.

He's a character from novels who became pretty popular. People call him a Mary Sue because he's a Lawful Good character from a traditionally Evil race. I personally think it's a bit of an unfair thing to say since he does get the odd bit of character development here and there, and it's meant to be heroic fiction rather than a deep character drama, but whatever.
>>
>>55113552
Well they're not Druids of the Coast.
I like coastal druids though.
>>
File: 5e Cat Grilz The Movie.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
5e Cat Grilz The Movie.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>55113542
>Who the fuck is Drizzt
>>
>>55113570
Well as a player make a character thats appropriate to the setting and not an anime edgelord you fucking faggot
>>
>>55113580
The purple eyed dark elf special snowflake
>>
>>55113552

Wizards of the coast's favoutite class is wizard.
Really makes you think, huh?
>>
>>55113554
>Too bad no one lets you play loremaster
They're utterly unbalanced in respect to the other archetypes. It even takes a shit on fucking theurge.
>>
File: c-c-can we be friends now.jpg (53KB, 960x631px) Image search: [Google]
c-c-can we be friends now.jpg
53KB, 960x631px
>>55113577
>>
>>55113542
It's pronounced exactly how it looks to be desu.
As for who the fuck it is - the de-facto main character of the most widely-read Forgotten Realms book series.
He's a good drow who ran away from home and triggered the most ridiculously huge manhunt in the history of the Forgotten Realms. He's a warrior savant with a special eye color nobody else had and is probably literally autistic because he doesn't understand the most obvious social rules in the societies he inhabits.
His only saving grace is that he's literally the original good drow, so he's not blindly following a tradition of special snowflakes; he started it. Actually, I'm not sure that's better.
>>
>>55113600
This image gets used every single thread and it never fails to amuse me.
>>
>>55113596

I know but I love the flavor and really wanted a generalist wizard.
>>
>>55113614
Its so good anon how could it not
>>
>>55113611

>looks to be desu

Looks to be to be?
>>
>>55113633
Are you a newfag or somthin senpai
>>
>>55113619
Energy substitution is fine.
The other class features are not - at least not all fucking together.
>>
>>55113482

Thematically he's a warlock of some kind.
>>
>>55113642
even then, Force needs to be taken off that list.
>>
>>55113642

I think being able to prepare a spell quickly is fine too.
>>
>>55113633
4chan replaces "t b h" ("to be honest") without spaces with "desu." Many jokes are had about this.
>>
>>55113661

But force is pure magic, that thematically makes a lot of sense for a wizard IMO.
>>
>>55113661
Nah it's fine.

>>55113669
I don't have a problem with the level 10 feature in a vacuum - I think it's very good but not really a problem at all.
>>
>>55113619
War Magic wizard UA isn't so bad for that. Works even better if you play a dwarf and get that medium armor.
>>
>>55113687

I don't expect it to be in xanthars (Theurge is going to be in xanthars) but I hope they revisit it later.
>>
>>55113633
>I cast Control Weather
>I change the season to Summer
>>
>>55113684
>>55113687
the problem with it is that it's too "safe" there is no reason to ever NOT change your damage to force.
>>
>>55113694

Ehh, they're more of a defensive wizard, lore master was more about bonus flexibility, they did different things.
>>
>>55113700
Weather =/= climate, dickwaffle
>>
>>55113722
seasons =/= climate either
>>
>>55113706

I'm not sure there are many creatures with a bulnerability to force, but there are creatures with vulnerabilities to fire, cold, lightning and thunder.
>>
>>55113722
Anon, I got some bad news...
>>
>>55113697
I'd like a good generalist wizard too, but I'd like other classes to be prioritized before wizard rn.
Wizard has *plenty*.

>>55113706
I play around with my enemy resistances/vulnerabilities. Force never being resisted wouldn't be a thing if one of my PCs literally only ever used force magic. Wouldn't be common at all but there'd be wildcards every now and then that make the wizard rethink their damage type choice.
>>
>>55113642
My problem with energy substitution is that's much more suited to an evoker than a generalist thematically.
>>
>>55113741
which is why i said it's "safe," aside from helmed horrors, nothing is immune to force.

>>55113763
>I play around with my enemy resistances/vulnerabilities. Force never being resisted wouldn't be a thing if one of my PCs literally only ever used force magic. Wouldn't be common at all but there'd be wildcards every now and then that make the wizard rethink their damage type choice.
that's all well and good, but saying "well i can houserule it" doesn't really help
>>
>>55113706
Anyone who just changes everything to force is either boring/unimaginative or they better be doing it for thematic reasons.
>>
>>55113750
Creating sunshine and heat doesn't mean it's not winter anymore. Most plants won't start budding during your 8-hour spell duration.
>>
>>55113763

I honestly just want some good INT classes, Artificer is shit and mystic is too good.

Int is such a shit stat in 5e.
>>
>>55113789
>or they better be doing it for thematic reasons.
Or what? You'll punish them? Again it's all fine and dandy that you can houserule or change something on the fly, but it doesn't belong in a discussion about RAW.

I mean, they could make a class that literally cannot take damage, and you can argue "well, i'll just rule that it CAN take damage" but it doesn't mean that the initial design wasn't shit to begin with.
>>
Next UA is just going to be 3 pages on the different consitencies and flavors of oozes.
>>
>>55113774
I let my players pick their damage types for alot of spells when they learn it desu. The difference that the lore master substitution would make in my games is only that they'd be able to swap on the fly and not just when they decide if they want to learn fireball or "thunder"-ball. That being said I wouldn't let a soul play that archetype in my games as it is.
>>
i wanna play a human ranger that focuses more on protecting settlements from the surrounding wilderness and raiders. he doesn't like animals and sees nature magic as more of a means to a end.

what can i choose to emphasize more on this?
or am i better of going fighter? talking about revised ranger
>>
>>55113809
I really like artificer - I just want them to be half-casters instead of 1/3rd casters and to smooth out the archetype features. The gun archetype has two features that are just garbage.
>>
>>55113828
I hope so. I have an NPC in my campaign who is the authority on oozes, he could use a major breakthrough.
>>
>>55113824

I don't see there being much of a problem with a "safe" choice, because you'll never hit any vulnerabilities either.
>>
>>55113809
To be fair, EK and AT both use intelligence, so while there are few dedicated INT classes there are characters from multiple classes who have it as a secondary.
>>
>>55113843
Vulnerabilities are so absurdly rare that it's not even worth discussing them in the first place
>>
>>55113841

They need specific crafting rules for them that scale with level, more features dedicatdd to using magic items (like USE MAGIC ITEM that thieves have), and actual subclasses.

The two subclasses badically are just replacements for cantrips.

Also alchemist should be its own class IMO.
>>
>>55113843
hitting the vulnerabilities requires either metagaming or a successful knowledge check, AND require the enemy to actually have a vulnerability. Force damage though? Don't even have to think about it, just do force, guaranteed to do normal damage. And when that wonderful instance occurs where you know a creature's vulnerability, go ahead and switch to that, otherwise, force damage all day erry day.
>>
>>55113878

I mean, most of the time a vulnerability is obvious, an icevelemental will be weak to fire ect.

And wouldn't sticking to force ALSO be metagaming?
>>
>>55111543
more Ravenloft. if that's not acceptable then Dark Sun or Planescape.
>>
>>55113908
>And wouldn't sticking to force ALSO be metagaming?
Nah bro, see, it's my character theme, I'm a force mage. It's just coincidence that I happen to be themed around the most unresisted magic type in the game.

It's kind of my point, the option of changing the element to Force creates a situation that encourages metagaming/laziness AND all it does is make the best class in the game BETTER. That's poor design.
>>
>>55113944

I just hate it's such an underused element, most things with force in the name don't actually do damage (cough, wall of force, cough) , and the one class that uses force damage (Warlocks) makes little thematically.

The class that studies the workings of magic? Nah

The class that weaves raw magic? Nope

The class that makes pacts with other worldly entities for sanity shattering truths? Yeah sure.

(Imo eldritch blast should have been psychic)
>>
>>55113841
I just wish they'd stop trying to push this mechanical creature shit in the core class and make it it's own archetype.
Then, you fill that design space with more spells.

Sometimes I feel WotC is staffed with idiots.
>>
>>55114017

They ARE idiots.

I feel they need some video game designers on their team to balance the mechanicsl aspects of the classes.
>>
>>55114008
Well the problem is that it's a blast, and you should be able to blast THINGS, not just people. Objects are immune to Psychic, as are Constructs etc.
It's strange energy, not mean thoughts.

Frankly, I wish they'd kept the blast shape/blast element thing from previous editions. I admit it'd be a little finnicky, but I'd prefer for Eldritch Blast to be dropped to d6 damage and you'd need a certain blast type to boost it's power. Stops it from being the de facto lazy feat cantrip for easy, reliable damage anyway
>>
>>55114056

You can't target objects as is with EB since it specifies a creature as a target.
>>
>>55114071
This is technically, RAW correct. But I don't know anyone who would enforce it. But I'm sure there is some shitlord out there...
>>
>>55113837
Might as well go fighter
>>
>>55113837
Well your favoured enemies would end up being humanoids and beasts or whatever is frequently troubling your settlements.

Ranger magic is largely utilitarian so you shouldn't have too many problems there. You might be better off going for a Fighter though. You'd be trading damage vs favoured enemies and some terrain bonuses for more attacks, ASIs and maneuvers are great.
>>
>>55112660

Eisenhower, as always, provides the solution you seek: "If you can't solve a problem, enlarge it."

Your problem is that Orcs are no longer scary. Change the dynamic by making players aware of Orcs but have that awareness be what scares them. Give them more Orcs to deal with.
>>
File: necromancer.jpg (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer.jpg
26KB, 400x300px
I want to build a warlock/necromancer character. What spells/feats should I take to optimize this?
>>
>>55114129

I probably would, since cantrips like firebolt were made for that.
>>
>>55114191

Depends highly on your flavor of necromancer. Are we talking a Blackguard melee guy, a generic black hat spellcaster, crazy cult leader, what?
>>
>>55114017
>I just wish they'd stop trying to push this mechanical creature shit in the core class
How are they "pushing it" if there is only one iteration?
>>
File: tumblr_oomkhdtPix1qcd7e7o2_1280.png (431KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oomkhdtPix1qcd7e7o2_1280.png
431KB, 650x650px
What would be a fun class archtype to take advantage of the Hobgoblin's Martial Training?
>>
>>55114316
take advantage of martial training and their +1 int by making a magehunter abjuration wizard

also

>tumblr
>>
>>55114237
Maybe that wasn't the best phrasing.
What I meant was that it's dumb to put a pet into the core class. They really should just make that archetype work sort of similar to the Beastmaster Ranger.
>>
I can't find any good pictures of younger looking wizards. I'm talking apprentice type stuff.
>>
>>55111718
i played a regular human for my last character, and i really enjoyed it, having high stats is fun.
>>
>>55111543
do you guys bother with inspiration? all my players get really into character and that makes it hard to give out inspiration unless i just hand it out like candy.
>>
>>55114487
As someone aware of his inability to hand it out at the right time I just give them some at the beginning of the session
>>
>>55114487
I give out inspiration like candy to reward RP, because I love RP.

Of course, I changed it from advantage to +1d6, so it has a much smaller impact.
>>
>>55114465
Yeah it's pretty good actually. No real dump stats.
>>
>>55114487
I DM for college students who are new to D&D and sometimes have a hard time paying attention, so I use inspiration with the "phone bowl"

At the beginning of the session you put your phone in a wooden bowl which goes away unless there's clearly some sort of emergency, anyone whose phone stays in the bowl all session gets inspiration next session
>>
Help me maximize this stupid mystic combo

>Brute force focus for advantage on athletics
>Grapple person
>Use mighty leap to jump into the air
>Pile drive them into the ground for hella falling damage
>>
>>55114205
Crazy cult leader, although melee may be a bit better for my party
>>
>>55111924
>Honestly they should just remove variant human and make it the basic human.
Nah--I say that they should just have an explicit/suggested rules option for every character starting with a feat alongside an update of the the UA racial feats, with additional guidelines for customizing each race's/culture's potential starting feats based on setting.
This also opens the door a bit for playing around more with 5e's assumptions of starting character ability, introducing more dials to turn and things to tweak in the future, which is of course part of their long-term strategy for the game.

I'll bet this is either in Xanathar's Guide or will be another UA altogether.
>>
>>55114191
>What spells/feats should I take to optimize this?
First of all, I'm not sure exactly how useful warlock is at all, but with that said maybe you can take advantage of short rest slots to cast a whole shitload of animate dead every day using your warlock slots and copious short rests, assuming your DM lets you get away with that shit, so we want warlock 5/necromancer X. As for spells, just pick warlock exclusive stuff because wizard gets everything else on the list, or use warlock to learn more wizard stuff

you get 3 invocations, so pick 3 from repelling blast, agonizing blast (if you make yourself MAD), armor of shadows and fiendish vigor. nothing else really helps you. there's some cool stuff in the UA I guess, especially for pact of chain (the only pact that actually does anything for you unless you REALLY want a couple mediocre cleric spells with tome)
>>
>>55112660
Primeval awareness for humanoids just means you get thousands of indistinguishable results at once. You don't get to specify. It's effectively useless, which is fair in light of getting all the other favored enemy bonuses on such a wide range of foes.
>>
File: 1393967578171.png (1MB, 600x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1393967578171.png
1MB, 600x1800px
>realized I subconsciously made a character to fulfill some of my fetishes
>>
File: giphy.gif (443KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
443KB, 400x296px
>>55115023
>Tfw DM tries to weird me out by putting in strong women who are taller than my 7' Goliath
>Mfw that is my fetish
>>
>>55112204
Then they all just take Alert and Lucky...
>>
>>55112280
Think about humans and apes. We can see the similarities to ourselves, and even empathize with them far better than most other animals, but at the end of the day they are just animals. A large majority of the population don't particularly mind the testing that is done on them or the destruction of their habitats - they're line us, but they aren't us.
>>
What's the best race for a charismatic, theatrical necromancer who behaves like a cartoon villain whenever possible?
>>
Currently in a discussion about the wording/use of the moonbeam spell, and i'd appreciate some extra input.

The wording of the spell says 'when a creature enters the spell's area for the first time on A turn or starts it's turn there' it takes damage. However, the spell can also move.

As it's been played in my group up to now, we've been rolling damage when
A) the spell is cast with an enemy in it's radius
B) on the start of any creature's turn inside the moonbeam
C) when the moonbeam is moved over a creature for the first time on the turn

The original wording of the spell seems to back this up, however this sage advice http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016 is saying the exact opposite, that a creature only takes damage when it moves through the moonbeam on it's own turn, gimping the spell massively.

Where would you guys rule it lies?

>>55115227
>theatrical

Gnomes. The answer is always Gnomes.
>>
>>55115246
That sounds like fun, I never even considered gnome.
>>
>>55115246
It's basically like spirit guardians, the actual ruling is that only when they walk into it on their own does it do that, but my DM and when I DM my campaign, I do it more like what you think it does.
>>
>>55115317
The article also seems to be saying if they're forced in (eg thunderwave, that one eldritch blast pact, battlemaster maneuvers, etc) they'll take damage.

If they do, do they still take damage again when they start their turn in it?
>>
>>55113140
This is why it's generally assumed you'll talk to your DM / your DM will highlight your favored enemy. Having a favored enemy is a massive throw back to rangers.
>>
>>55115348
Yes I think so. Again I'll use the example of spirit guardians, if you walk up to an enemy, they take the damage,(again this is technically not correct) and on their turn they do. I dont see why they wouldnt take the damage if they are pushed into it.
>>
>>55115271
Gnomes even synergise with wizards as they get +2 to int racial bonus.
>>
>sister is playing at my table for the first time with a bunch of veterans
>level 7 to be even with the rest of the party
>she has shown interest before so i worked with her to make a character
>does a lot of stage plays and acting coaching so roleplay is comfortable to her
>ends up with a Wild Magic Human Sorceress with Lucky
>voiced interest in using Spell Point Variant after i casually mentioned it

Is the Spell Point variant alright for Sorcerers? Never used it and only ever had a single other 5e Sorcerer at the table and he was a bit on the weak end besides one Quickened Lightning Bolt.
>>
File: 1448085892868.jpg (236KB, 990x1384px) Image search: [Google]
1448085892868.jpg
236KB, 990x1384px
What sort of childhood jobs/tasks/hobbies are more likely to lead you to become an archer, or at least competent in archery, later in life?
>>
>>55115560
It's good for sorcs if you merge the spell point and sorc point pools and let the pool work for both
>>
>>55115560
It makes sorcerers not trash. It might make the sorcerer feel a little overpowered if it is powered gamed, if not, it is the only way the sorc can feel like a none pile of trash.
>>
>>55115560
I have sorcerers use spell points in my game (combining them with Sorcery Points into a single resource) and it's great. It should really be how sorcs work by default.
>>
I want to make a tabaxi trickery cleric.
But I can't come up with a good stat allocation using point buy. My autism won't allow an uneven stat.
>>
>>55115581
Hunting
>>
File: 53e.png (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
53e.png
27KB, 200x200px
>>55115593
That is an interesting idea, didn't think about that. Allows for quite a lot of Quickened Lightning Bolts, eh?

>>55115607
While I think, as her first time, she picked out a great build overall, she is hyper green to the game. I feel as if she'll forget a ton of her own shit even if I reminder her on the first game or two, so I think it'll balance itself out.

Plus her Constitution score is 10, so she is incredibly fragile

>>55115610
Good to hear. My one buddy claims Sorcerers are on par with Wizards because "the spells known don't matter if you can change them with Meta Magic to be stronger". Then again, he has longed to play a Sorcerer so this might just be the yearning talking.
>>
>>55115648
>Allows for quite a lot of Quickened Lightning Bolts, eh?
There are probably better things you could be doing, but sure
>>
>>55115648
>Allows for quite a lot of Quickened Lightning Bolts, eh?
Remember that Quickened Spell only changes the casting time of a spell to a bonus action, so the bonus action casting rule still applies. If you quicken Lightning Bolt, then the only spells you can cast for your action can be cantrips.
>>
Anyone have scarred lands?
>>
>>55115050
i'm using a muscle lady. I'm hoping their magical realm kicks in and they simply forget danger
>>
>>55115648
The good stuff from sorcerer is things like twinned Haste on melee fighters, twinned blight because 16d8 fucks shit up, quickening a fireball to be able to disengage or dodge fun or even quicken a fireball then using a wand of magic missile feels great. But resources are extremely rare when it comes to sorc points. Wizards, with their arcane recovery are able to cast more spells per day than the sorc can.
>>
What background would you use for a non-rogue ruins explorer in order to get thieves tools?
>>
>>55115833
Take the criminal background and fluff it as a plunderer
>>
>>55111543
Running a bit of an old school campaign, as my adventure develops I figured I would make it about the Selune/Lolth rivalry. They have been unknowingly working for the Silverstars and are about to engage some fairly powerful creatures, namely drow. As I know my players they will likely to want to attack them under cover of night and given that they likely have no way to counter their darkness spells I was thinking of sending them a vision or a warning or something like that. One of them has a familiar sent by Selune but is not yet capable of speech.
Any ideas?
>>
>>55115648
>>55115725
Yeah the straw that breaks the camel's back is arcane recovery.
That's really all it comes down to.
>>
>>55114316
>when you can't turn the nose red(der), turn it blue

This needs to end
>>
>>55115833
I suppose that depends on just how much of an expert they are or if they have any other important trappings in their history.
Probably Sage, swapping out one of their Language proficiencies for it.
>>
File: file.png (458KB, 347x808px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
458KB, 347x808px
>potentially 6 Wyverns as pets

WotC wants your players to die
>>
>>55116318
Well, they don't have to all appear at the same time

Alternatively, fuck your players what did they expect in a beholders lair
>>
>>55116318
Actually its potentially 12
>>
>>55116318
>pets: beholder zombies

That's ice cold.
>>
File: Hobgoblin spear holder.png (291KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin spear holder.png
291KB, 1000x1000px
>>55116163
But that's their flavor, anon.
>>
>>55116536
That's why Beholders are such great villains.
It's not the big eyeball. They're not scary because of their looks.
They're powerful, sure, but that's not the problem either.
The fact that they're ice cold like that is what makes them so frightening.
>>
File: Tumblr nose.png (174KB, 789x657px) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr nose.png
174KB, 789x657px
>>55116554
No, he's talking about the tumblr nose.
It really is a scourge.
>>
How long is your backstory? Whenever I make characters with a long backstory, the backstory never comes up in the game.
>>
>>55116569
only one of my players bothered to write a backstory, but when I brought it up in-game he had no idea what was happening. fucking waste
>>
File: Hobgoblin tumblr nose.png (143KB, 420x190px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin tumblr nose.png
143KB, 420x190px
>>55116567
>>
>>55116569
It depends on the tone of the game, but never particularly long.

Basically, my logic is that I'm not a teacher. I'm not assigning essays, and if you write me one I'm not really going to read it.
I'd rather speak to a player and get them to run their backstory down to me in a conversational way. It's easier on everyone and isn't so much of a pain for me to remember, since I'll pick up the interesting bits and remember them to use as plot hooks later when I'm making notes.

Ditto when I'm a player. I'll give my character a paragraph.
Realistically, the only thing a backstory is for is to give the character motivation and the DM some easy plot hooks.
"I want to get a fortune in gold so I can ransom back my brother from an evil warlord."
Solid backstory. You've got a long-term goal (free your brother), a short-term goal (get paid), and a nice plot hook (evil warlord and minions)

In my experience, people who write a novel are more interesting in masturbatory 'awesomeness' of their character and rarely ever give them a real motivation, since the point of the 3-page backstory is to show how impossibly awesome and great they somehow are even though we're starting at level 1.
>>
>>55116569
Well some of my players give a blurb, some are extensive.

I usually reward the extensive with heavier plot lines involving their backstories.
>>
File: Hermaphrodite Elves.png (827KB, 858x398px) Image search: [Google]
Hermaphrodite Elves.png
827KB, 858x398px
>>55116607
Well it's written in the book so surely that is how it OUGHT to be.
>>
File: Egoraptor beh.png (155KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Egoraptor beh.png
155KB, 500x500px
>>55116569
Depends on the campaign, mostly. However, unless your DM goes out of their way to incorporate your background in the game, you're right: it'll often get overlooked or ignored.

>>55116643
Sweet Jesus.
>>
>>55116658
That's from the PHB.
I like the edition overall, but I wish they wouldn't pander to fringe groups with virtue-signalling nonsense.
>>
>>55115560

Spell point variant is fine for Sorcerers, and just like how several other anons have said, fusing/combining it with the Sorcerer Points used for their Metamagics is also a fine fix.

For me, my fix for Sorcerers is to give them a few "Origin Spells" related to their archetype, to slightly widen their Spells Known list to give them more options. In my eye/POV, it makes no sense that a person who sings and dances can know more spells than a person who has literal magic flowing through their veins.

I houseruled it like this: at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 Sorcerer, you may choose one of the two spells from this list, in addition to the spell you already earn at that level.

So for a Wild Magic Sorcerer, the spells I'd pick are:

> 1st Level
Chaos Bolt (from the Starter Spells UA), Detect Magic

> 3rd Level
Enhance Ability, Hold Person

> 5th Level
Counterspell, Dispel Magic

> 7th Level
Polymorph, Dimension Door

> 9th level
Creation, Hold Monster

Honestly, the Spell Point variant is stronger if you have 1-2 encounters a day, but after that it tends to fade off because it's not as easy to regain those spent points, and it ends up being fewer spells per day than normal spell slot system.
>>
>>55111543
>Which setting would you like WotC to give some attention to next?
DARK SUN
A
R
K

S
U
N
>>
File: Asmodeus_-_Eric_Deschamps.jpg (51KB, 400x532px) Image search: [Google]
Asmodeus_-_Eric_Deschamps.jpg
51KB, 400x532px
>you will never rule your own plane of existence
>you will never command hordes of scheming devils
>you will never plot to conquer the multiverse

ALL HAIL ASMODEUS THE ONLY TRUE GOD!
>>
Question about the Old Bonegrinder in CoS:

How do you deal with the situation if your players go into the Old Bonegrinder at level 3, even though they got fair warnings. A Night Hag in a coven has a challange rating of 7, and there are 3 of them. So this encounter should be pretty much impossible at level 3 if played by the book. Also the party totally lacks any magic weapons.
>>
>>55117051
I guess they run away with help from wereraven
>>
>>55117051
You can take a note from Chris Perkins and have one of the hags be out doing hag things, thus making it only two night hags that will be still be scary as fuck to fight.
>>
New thread:

>>55117219
>>55117219
>>55117219
>>
>>55115560
>playing at my table for the first time
>level 7
I know you want her to have a great time, but sometimes the ideas in PHB/DMG aren't so bad. Having her start above level 1 means she loses out on the experience of growth and power she's supposed to get from the early levels and respective level ups. I suppose she will have a harder time learning the game.
>>
>>55112615

>waaaahhh my player is good at a thing! help me kill them /tg/!
>>
>>55113334
I think the suggestion is that the ranger swaps out arrowheads, sword oil, armor configuration, scabbard location, bow tension, etc to give them an edge against a certain enemy type.

When ppl hunt in real life they use different ammo and clothing and tactics for each type of prey. Think along that direction.
>>
>>55113235

Lawful evil can protec, you just protec in very cruel ways
>>
>>55112524
>Roll well
You should, with array or point buy, generally have 16 in your main stat, and as a vhuman that is possible so you don't need to roll at all to get +5, that's pretty much standard. Thing is, even if you only use GWM/SS when you have advantage (like with reckless attack from level 2) and don't get a lot out of the -5/+10, you still get to ignore cover (+2/+4 to attack situationally) and attack from further away, or do another attack whenever you crit/knock someone out (more impactful as you only have 1 attack). They're good feats, and they scale ridiculously well and free you up so you don't have to take one of them at 4. While another race starts with the same stats, some racials, then at level 4 fall behind on str/dex because they have to take the feat then.
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.