[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 404
Thread images: 33

File: 1488564414603.jpg (245KB, 1043x1180px) Image search: [Google]
1488564414603.jpg
245KB, 1043x1180px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55091283

Have you ever tried running or playing an OSR-style game with 5e?
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 640x886px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 640x886px
>>55098330
>players are trying to uncover a crime mystery
>they don't know a beholder is behind it
>they've never fought or encountered one before
>as soon as they found the location of "the boss" they just headed straight there
>riding on a high of confidence after catching a Vampire off guard by destroying his resting place and then him
>"we're basically gods"

how fucked are they, boys
>>
>>55098330
I'm trying to run a game with an oldschool feel right now.
>>
>>55098373
110%
>>
>>55098373
>Over confidence is a slow and insidious killer
They're fucked
>>
>>55098373

Those poor morons.
>>
>>55098373
Give the Beholder Legendary Resistances.

Give the Beholder Lair Actions.

Make them pay for walking into such a marvelous creature's domain like the humanoid filth they are.
>>
>>55098373
Make sure to run the Beholder as an intelligent creature not a killer lolrandum disco ball.
>>
Best wizard feats?
>>
>>55098450
i certainly plan to

they're going to try waltzing in and peppering him the second they see him so it may go disco ball real quick
>>
Might be a dumb question but...
If you have temp hit points and you're concentrating on a spell, and you're hit for an attack that deals damage less than your temp HP, do you need to make a concentration check?
Basically, does damage to your temp hp still count as damage to you?
>>
>>55098517
It still counts as damage.
>>
>>55098517
It still counts as damage taken. Arcane ward on the other hand will prevent a check if it absorbs an attack
>>
>>55098330
Does anyone do the Dawn War setting, where civilisation is weak and uncommon races aren't distrusted?
>>
>>55098531
>>55098530
Thanks! I figured it would.
>>
>>55098459
I've heard War Caster is good.
>>
>>55098330
What's a good backstory for a Divination Wizard?
>>
Does Volo's guide have information on the Gith?
>>
>>55098618
"I looked into the future and saw myself as an adventurer, so I basically have no choice."
>>
>>55098627
No
>>
>>55098618
You set out one day with the goal of telling everybody in the world that you knew they'd do that. Be sure to say it every time an enemy does anything even remotely surprising
>>
>>55098631
Alternatively the opposite of this
"I looked into the future and saw I was a boring cunt in a study so I'm going to abuse my magic to fuck destiny in the ass"
>>
>>55098459
start with an odd CON score and get Resilience (CON). Raises CON by 1 so try to work it so it will improve your CON bonus and it makes you proficient in CON saves which wizards don't normally have and helps you pass Concentration checks when damaged (a CON save). If given a choice between this and War Caster I would pick this one first.
>>
>>55098618
They foresaw the time and place of their death, so they multiclass Barbarian because they have the utmost confidence that they're invincible.
>>
>>55098618
>I was the apprentice of Shambok the Abjurer. He was the most powerful wizard east of Aquilonia, but for all his power he failed to forsee his own demise. I have sworn that would never happen to me.
>>
File: Gypsy.jpg (101KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gypsy.jpg
101KB, 640x400px
>>55098618
You spent your youth as a charlatan, giving palm readings and predicting the future with tarot cards. You were raised in this fashion by your parents in a traveling show, but your grandmother also taught you the basics of real magic. One day every tarot, bone and tea leaf reading began showing portents of doom. It's all bullshit of course but maybe not? In any case your grandmother thinks it is real and so you set out for adventure to expand your magical talents in hopes of saving your family and extended family in the traveling show from this unnamed and unknowable destruction portended in the cards.
>>
Got a question about surprise.

If a party with a forward scout that is hiding is attacked by 'non-stealthing' orcs, who gets to act on the first round?

The hypothetical ranger was hiding so should surprise the orcs, but the main part of the party and the orcs weren't trying to hide, it gets to be a bit of a cluster fuck.
>>
>>55098733
>If a party with a forward scout that is hiding is attacked by 'non-stealthing' orcs, who gets to act on the first round?
Everyone. A creature is only surprised if it is unaware or not anticipating combat.
>>
>person want to make a tiefling
>sure ok, can have some interesting things happen
>warn them beforehand the world will assume the worse
>remind them again once we finish making their sheet
>ask again before the first session they're ok with it
>player proceeds to whine when they use Charm Person very obviously on someone in public and he gets mobbed
>>
>>55098733
I would say the stealthed ranger gets a surprise round and then takes their plaice in the initiative order with everyone else
>>
>>55098784
You would be wrong.

Any undetected individual has advantage on their attacks from being hidden, but "surprised" vs "not surprised" is a question of preparedness. Once you are "ready" for something threatening, you are in a position to defend yourself.
>>
File: Blood Priest Path.png (2MB, 1059x1426px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Priest Path.png
2MB, 1059x1426px
Hey you like blood?
>>
>>55098749
>>55098796
This is correct, just because an enemy doesn't notice A THREAT doesn't mean the enemy didn't not THE THREAT. That Ranger would just get advantage from unseen attacker. Got a player than is an assassin rogue that gets pissed because the assassinate ability is pretty crap unless you can surprise enemies and the way D&D is usually played, the PCs are the being offensive so laying ambushes doesn't really happen and the rest of the party is stomping around in metal boots.
>>
>>55098618

Have you ever heard the story of Darth Plagueis the Wise?
>>
Is the maps of the Curse of Strahd campaign from roll20 going to appear on the trove?
>>
How do you make someone who fights with hand crossbows and other crossbows and whips
>>
>>55099042
A rogue with crossbow expert feat
>>
I've been trying to make a haunted house event for my group but I can't think of a way to do other than building up tension before having a spooky ghost pop out. Any tips?
>>
>>55099087
Include an encounter with a ghost and a zombie of the same person. Could have the ghost be benevolent and want the party's help in subduing his body
>>
>>55099095
They've gone past baby adventure levels so I doubt a zombie could remotely pose a challenge to them.
>>
>>55099113
Make it a full horde of zombies while they figure out which one not to kill
>>
>>55099087
One of the dumber tropes about haunted houses is why the adventurers don't just leave, explore some avenues on how they're stuck in the haunted place.

If you go with the classic scenario do a House of Leaves kind of thing where the hallways and basements are infinite and they have to make saves not to be entranced deeper and deeper into the house's innards. The house itself becomes the antagonist so you don't have to focus so much on coming up with a bunch of different monsters. Less traditional route, have them stranded on a ship (or oil rig if you can cook up a more modern setting) so they can't escape easily.
>>
>>55099087
Depending on how serious of a tone your game has in general you could just rip off a scooby doo episode
>>
>>55099189
This is dumb but I'm totally going to take it.
>>
>>55098373
Remember beholders can fly
Remember to use its antimagic cone and then have its minions beat the tar outta the wizard
Remember to check volos for all your beholder info and I suggest using the eye power variants or make your own for more fun
Remember to disintegrate a motherfucker
>>
>>55098380
How's it going?
>>
>>55099371
Be warned that disintegration does make for salty players. I had a player send me a strongly worded email anout being disintegrated
>>
File: DSC_0352.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0352.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
If I, as a DM, put these minis up to use as the player characters, would you find yourself wanting in any department? I know I need a wizard or two.
>>
>>55099420
beggars can't be choosers (but we all know they will try). They look perfectly reasonable to me but if I had my own I would prefer to use that.
>>
>>55099420
We were using Ork nobs as character pieces. I was the only Orc
>>
>>55099496
Hey man, if they show up with their own mini I will more than welcome it.

>>55099542
That's the right proppa orky way to do it.
>>
What equipment can I use to improve my monk? I know getting belts of giant strength works in place of receiving a magic weapon.
>>
>>55099608
Whatever the DM gives you
>>
Hello i'm a really dumb person who has never played as or with a rogue and even though I have read the book, i'm a very dumb person who doesn't understand things very well.

With Rogue you get a feature called Sneak Attack which can only be used when you have advantage on the attack. But if i'm reading it correctly, if there are two enemies next to each other (5ft) then I don't need advantage? Is that correct?

And it works for ranged attacks too?

Then with Rakish Audacity it states you don't need advantage when the enemy is not within 5ft of you.

This seems really powerful for ranged fighting, yes?
>>
>>55099420
I don't get your question. I want a cheeseburger
>>
>>55099660
Who let the meme from 2006 into the general?
>>
>>55099420
We had these blank figures, noyl three types - guy with sword, guy with bow, guy in a robe and these would indiate someone melee fighting, ranged rfighting, or ranged spellcasting
>>
Do you get to reroll 1s and 2s on divine smite damage with the Great Weapon fighting style?
>>
>>55099693
No.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016
>>
>>55099648
> But if i'm reading it correctly, if there are two enemies next to each other (5ft) then I don't need advantage? Is that correct?

No. It's "enemy of the target". In otherwords, your ally (unless you are having a battle royale).

> And it works for ranged attacks too?
Yes

> Then with Rakish Audacity it states you don't need advantage when the enemy is not within 5ft of you.

Rakish Audacity require your target to be within 5 feet of you too. The exact word is "No creature other than your target"
>>
>>55099702
Aww; thanks for your help.
>>
>>55099711
Thank you for clearing that up for me
>>
>>55098924
I doubt it. Besides, WotC didn't even make the top-down Ravenloft maps, they're just made by some random person at Roll20.
>>
>>55099711
>No. It's "enemy of the target". In otherwords, your ally (unless you are having a battle royale).
>> And it works for ranged attacks too?
>Yes
So if the enemy that i'm targeting is engaged in battle (within 5ft of my ally) and i'm say 20ft away, I will be able to use the Sneak Attack ability if i'm doing a ranged attack?

>Rakish Audacity require your target to be within 5 feet of you too. The exact word is "No creature other than your target"
So just trying to get my head around why I would be able to 'sneak' attack if it's just the enemy and myself next to each other? Does this mean when I sneak up behind them?
>>
I want to make a speedy character, how would you do it without special magical items.
>>
>>55099981
>So if the enemy that i'm targeting is engaged in battle (within 5ft of my ally) and i'm say 20ft away, I will be able to use the Sneak Attack ability if i'm doing a ranged attack?
Yes

>So just trying to get my head around why I would be able to 'sneak' attack if it's just the enemy and myself next to each other? Does this mean when I sneak up behind them?
No, think of swashbuckler as a fancy duelist. Big show offs that do ridiculous things. They aren't really the sneaky throat slicing type, they're the over the top pirates. You're just exploiting an opening they revealed, but can push it further than other classes, it's the only explanation I can give
>>
How useful is Thief's Fast Hands? Choosing Archetype for Rogue 3/Barb X(no sneak attack, but going rogue 2 for expertise and cunning action and might as well grab level 3). Narrowed it down to Thief, Assassin and Scout (completely forgot about him, most likely will pick scout).
>>
>>55099981
Sneak attack != backstab.

Ability name is just a name. Expeditious Retreat doesn't make you retreat. Tiny Hut isn't actually a hut.
>>
I want to be a Necromancer! Wizard How do prevenf my table from hating me from rolling dices.
>>
Hi all,

Soon i will be starting a dnd campaign with some friends of mine. i will be the Gm and my plan is to go for a Lovecraft inspired world.

got any tips for a horror/Lovecraft game?
>>
>>55100120
Don't play 5e for a lovecraftian horror setting. It doesn't really work
>>
I've heard good things about Middle Finger of Vecna.

What does /tg/ think of their work?
>>
>>55099981
Rakish audacity is the 1v1 me faggot mode activating sneak attack. As long as your enemy is the only thing next to you, you're in the zone enough to get sneak attacks
>>
>>55100031
monk with mobile
>>
>>55098798
Some notes:
Blood Bath is a bit too strong and easy to abuse. You really need to limit the possible scope of it. I'd say 1/short rest at 3rd level, and up to 3 uses at a high level. I'd also call them "Blood Dice" or similar to separate them from normal Hit Dice, so you can't use your normal hit dice instantly. That's way too strong to have.

Hound would be more interesting if you had to taste it, imo. Also, it's unclear what "gives you the current location, at the time" actually means. Is it the location NOW, when you're tracking? Or is it the location, AT THE TIME? I have no idea how it's meant to work.

Ritual of the Blood Priest is neat, but I'd say, again, limit it only to the bonus Blood Dice.

Hemhorrage is way too strong. Not only is it an extremely easy way to boost crit range--which is intentionally difficult to do in this edition--but it's also being given to the class with Reckless Attack and bonus damage on critical hits. This is insanely, broken overpowered even if you can only use it one or two times a day, but is even worse if you can use it 3 or more, which isn't impossible with racial modifiers and things to stats.
I'd say this one needs to be rethought mechanically. I'd recommend doing something different: A critical hit gives you a 1d6 die for a limited duration, but no limited to how often you can gain dice in this way. That encourages the Barbarian to play aggressively and try to pull out those big Reckless crits without making them overpowered in damage, and it's a powerful higher-level ability because it provides a slow drip of healing and easy fuel for other powers in the path that doesn't run out unless you stop messing people up.

Overall it's a good concept, but a bit on the strong side.
>>
>>55099408
Well the first time I tried to run it, I used randoms from roll20 and they all flaked on me.

Taking it from the top with /tg/ folks, they seem like a fun enough group. We haven't begun yet, but I have hope.
>>
File: mzlvsrMIgj1ro2bqto1_500.jpg (40KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
mzlvsrMIgj1ro2bqto1_500.jpg
40KB, 500x323px
>>55100120
Read up on the Aberation monster type. They fit that Lovecraftian niche just right. Monsters like Sahuagin, Kuo-Toa and other sentient water type monsters (though not Aberations) also work real well.

Avoid things like insanity checks that you find i in other Call of Cthulhu type games however. That stuff doesn't really work for 5E.

But things like secluded villagers filled with weirdos worshiping Blipdoolpoolp and turning into slime monsters with the help of their Aboleth high priest sounds like a grand old time.
>>
>>55100062
How many mean tricks can you think up?

My Thief had glass dust, choking powder, poison dust, acid flasks, oil flasks, perfume bottles, caltrops, marbles, a grappling hook...
Not to mention just about anything else I could get my hands on as we went, and the ever-useful utility of the fast potion chug or wand usage.
I've yanked goblins off ledges with a well-placed grappling hook and I've sent zombies back to the grave with a ship's rigging.
If you can dream it, you can do it. Sky's the limit.

Also note that almost anything you huck, chuck or swing that isn't in the Weapons table is an Improvised Weapon, including things like thrown oil or acid and the ever-faithful grappling hook. Tavern Brawler is an incredibly useful feat, since it makes you proficient in Improvised Weapons--which also, by the by, means you have the ability to beat people to death with that flagon, stool, ladder, or your bare hands.

Godspeed, my friend. Let me know if you come up with any truly nasty things for your bag of tricks, I'm always in the market.
>>
>>55100223
Stop shilling this. We get this every single thread.
Nobody wants your viral marketing crap.
>>
>>55100223
Shit, utter trash
>>
>>55100417
I was thinking scout, because my intial reason for multiclassing was expertise and more expertise is always good, but you almost sold me the Fast Hands. I'll think about it.
>>
Help me with small minor magic items. I need some interesting ones that aren't necessarily combat based.

>Flask of Rejuvenating Light
>Drink for a 1d4 HP per level of the imbider. Can be used 3 times per day.

>Instrument of Night
>Bard specific. Play before a long rest. All who hears this before their sleep, gain a full HD of temporary HP, as well as an inspiration for equal to their HD, which lasts for the entire day or until expended.

>Tendril of Reach
>An odd rope of dark matter, which can latch onto surfaces. It is a grappling hook, which automatically lathes on to solid matter, and will not detach unless the user wills it. It automatically accommodates the weight of the user, and prevents the user from affecting the target in any way.

Any other similar good ideas?
>>
Continuing a level 18 campaign, we are going to another dimension/plane/whatever.

My character is a Bard who is a Smith of magical items. He found a forge and anvil which are magically imbued, and can reforge mundane items into magical ones, with the outcome depending on the events they have been apart of.

He has a small fort with this equipment, as well as 10 people who live and work there. I don't want to lose this.

The plan is to make a pocket dimension they can stay in. The fort isn't that large, only about 1x1km with some vegatation around it.

Is this possible somehow? I am allowed to switch out spells (the in-game break took 5 years, so it is assumes we had time to adjust our choices.) if necessary.

Or is it something I should request from my GM?
>>
>>55100223
Can you fuck off with that crap.
>>
>>55098798

Please be a troll. The thought that someone might actually be this stupid hurts me.
>>
>>55100211
Nah, the lower power ceiling and the fact even low CR enemies remain relevant throughout could mean you could run awesome horror games in 5e.
>>
>>55100789
>minor
That rope is not minor. I could cause some serious shit with that rope, including hanging a orger from a twig... it's just got too many applications to be 'minor' in the hands of a devious player.

Drawing a blank on any actual minor ones that are of any note tho, I'm kinda lit
>tankard of refreshment
Tankard that is always half full of ale. If another drink is poured in, it acts as a normal tankard but will keep the drink chilled and fresh indefinitely. Once the drink is drunk, it returns to being half full with ale.

>rogues compass
Points to nearby gold coins (the players gold for example)

>coin of fortune
A gold coin, when flipped it always sides with the user. If he calls heads, it shows heads, if called tails it shows tails.
>>
>>55098330

>casters have relatively boring RP potential for their basic damage dealing spells "I blast the thing" "I shock the thing" etc while martials can explain in detail what and how they hit
>casters don't get to do a whole lot of things each round in comparison to martials who get extra attacks

who fighter master race here?
>>
>>55101243
I'm a new DM but I tend to describe battles blow by blow.

>monks makes attacks killing a goblin
You slice drive your short sword into the goblins stomach, almost to the hilt. He screeches in pain, grasping at your hand, realizing his end is near he looks up at you as you send your fist flying into his face, knocking his head black and forcing him off your blade. His lifeless corpse falls back into a limp pile before you.

>wizard casts firebolt killing a goblin
As the goblin battles with [the fighter], ducking and slipping each other's blows, your hand fills with flames and soars into his side, his face taking on horrific expressions as his organs cook inside his chest before he collapse, foul smelling smoke raising from the wound.

Similar experience for both. If they describe how they attack I base it around what they say, and if they describe something particularly cool yet doable, I'll sometimes give them a + to hit.
>>
>>55100434
>>55100484
>>55100940

Im actually curious whats so bad about it. is there anyone here who does use it?
>>
>>55101298

Our DM gets us to describe exactly what we do and how we do it instead of narrating it all.

Also, speaking of the whole descriptive combat thing, how many of you guys in this thread make on-the-fly adaptations to the rules to suit the combat narrative? Like say for example I say "I slice at the bandit's wrist to cut his tendon" how many of you would set a DC in your head for the attack roll to make the bandit drop his sword or get a debuff or something from that? Or do you consider it too imbalanced to reward RP in combat with fiat bonuses?
>>
File: 1497471944092.jpg (1MB, 2323x1562px) Image search: [Google]
1497471944092.jpg
1MB, 2323x1562px
>>55101243
>Bonus action shove mooks into hazards/off ledges with shield master
>Can even shove teammates out of harms way if they're being stubborn and stupid
>Can grapple one enemy to prevent it from moving, and with a Sentinel AoO I can lock down two enemies at once
>Now two enemies that can't disengage me and I have AC through the roof, dealing damage the whole time
>If need be I even have some daggers I can throw at other enemies. Disadvantage but hey, it's a last resort
Martials are fun
>>
>>55101336
>same guy
I allow that on rare occasion, I worry if i allow it every fight it would become the norm with everyone attacking legs or just going for that throat on the slim chance they can one shot him.

>>55101348
While all that is awesome, I feel like a decent leveled magic user has a whole
book of different shit they can use in incentive ways to do equally cool shit.

Telekinesis for example has almost endless possibilities
>>
>>55101409

Well, I wouldn't allow instakills but I might say his trachea got crushed and he couldn't speak for a certain amount of time on a really good roll
>>
>>55101454
I could go for that.

We used to run extended rules for crits we carried over from 2nd edition. But it slowed combat done too much so we stopped. I guess this sorta fills that role.
>>
>>55101336
I'm not against the idea of allowing called shots with a boosted DC, but it becomes a problem as soon as you have a Battlemaster in the party, because now every PC can do "his thing" y'know?

I've read a few times people suggesting that maneuvers should be a fighter class feature instead of an archetype feature, and i'm inclined to agree.

>>55101409
While casters have plenty of toys to play with, i'm one of those weirdos that finds enjoyment in playing a character with some restrictions. It forces me to accept that I can't do everything I want and I have to approach situations creatively if I want to excel. When I play a spellcaster with "just the right thing" for every situation it actually pulls me out of the fantasy in a weird way. I, as a player, don't want to have the perfect solution readily available. Because of this I find myself gravitating towards martials or half casters.
>>
>>55098330
How do I make a cool vampire or dhampir character dudes? I'm not big on edge but love the aesthetic. Any help would be great!
>>
>>55101478
I hear ya, I mostly DM these days and did my playing back in 2nd edition when wizards had to memories the spells themsleves, and not just pick ones you can cast with your levels.

It forced much more creative thinking. Already used up your flying spell and the mob is floating above a lake? Time to cast wall of force as a walkway so your party can run out to them, etc
>>
>>55100940
>>55100484
>>55100434
Whats the problem with them? also samefaging is real.
>>
>>55098798
>bag of rats
>>
>>55099087
Check out Death House.
Might want to check Mexican Death House as well.
>>
>>55101303
Imbalanced trash. No.
>>55101520
It's not samefagging, you autist retard.
>>
>>55099420
It's good enough. I would like something with a shield, though.

>>55100031
Tabaxi Fighter/Monk/Elk Barbarian with Wizard, Druid and Bard allies.
>>
How is your Bardadin
>>
>>55100106
DMG has rules for mobs ganging up on one enemy.
>>
Story time /tg/.

My warlock and a few other players had bartered passage on a ship to go investigate what the fuck was going on in some town down the coast. We'd been shanghai'd into service with some magical slave-bangles so we were already pretty salty, but things took a turn for the silly when pirates attacked.

Clearing them out wasn't difficult, a well-placed Shatter killed nearly half their crew in one go and the rest got hack-n-slashed to bits. But as we were getting ready to head back, my character had an idea: There was a perfectly good ship with nobody to lay claim to! Ours for the taking!

We tried to negotiate with our captain to spare some crewmembers. Even if she didn't want to manage two ships, we could split the profits from selling the thing at port. But she refused to budge and started to sail away to prove her point. Half our party jumped back over, but my character and a few others were determined to make this work. So it was that a group of 5 people set sail in the middle of the ocean on a ship that needed at least 20.

>cont.
>>
>>55101635
>>55101635

One of our impromptu crew had a background in navigation and sailing, so we swiftly set about repairing the sails (which had been cut to ribbons) with the aid of a cleric casting Mend non-stop for hours until she blacked out. That got us about 75% of one sail. Eventually we realized that we couldn't get enough power to bring this to the nearest port, so we decided on a secondary plan of running it aground and coming back for it later, with enough crew to drag it back to sea and sail it properly. So our navigator ordered us to hoise the main-sail, raise anchor and threw the wheel hard to port

>natural 1

In a hideous display of incompetence, the ship lurched much too far and momentarily dipped below sea-line, causing cracks in the hull which began taking on water. We immediately lashed ourselves to various parts of the ship to avoid being thrown off, while the heavily armored dwarf who hadn't been quick enough got launched overboard. Fortunately I was quick enough to Mage Hand a rope over to him, and a few lucky athletics checks got him back aboard. Unfortunately we were too busy rescuing ourselves to realize that we'd gotten caught in a doom spiral, and the ship was rapidly pulling a titanic. I undid my own ropes (again with Mage Hand, best and worst choice I've ever made) and stumbled my way to the wheel in an attempt to regain control

>failed strength check

The wheel damn near tore my hands off as the ship finally lost all semblance of control and began to quickly sink. Not wanting to drown, I sent my familiar to search for anything that might float, like an empty barrel. The rest of the group (angry wet dwarf included) risked their lives going below deck on a sinking vessel to haul up some barrels. We got inside and rolled overboard in some harrowing retelling of The Hobbit, desperately paddeling away to avoid being pulled down in the ship's wake.
>>
>>55101652

Negotiating rescue by our previous captain was a humbling affair, to say the least. Bitch could've had a second ship.

Much later, we disembarked and put the whole affair outside of our minds. Except for two of us. Myself, and the would-be navigator. We were pretty miffed at the way we'd been treated, and were still bitter about losing a potential ship. So we decided to get take one last stab at revenge. Literally.

In the dead of night, the navigator scoped out the vessel and saw that the guards were all at the local tavern drinking their pay. He quietly snuck aboard to attempt an assassination, but was caught by one of the deck-hands who'd been friendly. His good-will won out and he told the deckhand to run for his life, which ultimately spelled his failure as the man called for guards, forcing the would-be assassin to abort the mission.

Meanwhile, I'd spent time canvassing the city for anything which might explode. I covered myself as a prospector who needed to blast open a section of rock, and people pointed me towards an eccentric dwarf who'd concocted some new thing he called "dynamite." Well, after tracking this guy down (which required haranguing our heavily armored dwarf friend into it), I was able to convince the alchemist into a negotiation. He turned out to think we were after his drugs, and offered to sell us some stuff that sent our dwarf into a really epic high. I was pretty sick of his shenanigans at this point so I cast "Command" and told him to hold still while I dumped his entire stash into his face.
>>
>>55101667

Unfortunately he'd built up quite a resistance, and wasn't too fazed. Frustrated beyond belief, I told him again I just wanted the freaking explosives, at which point he reached into his pocket and pulled out a long red stick, lit the fuse and tossed it at me. I tossed it back at him and ran out the door. He tossed it back at me out the window, so I used Prestidigitation to douse the fuse, and pocketed the stick. I should mention that my dwarf-friend was still high as a kite in the store.

Now, I didn't think that this would be quite enough to sink the whole boat, so I swung by the general store and bought two barrels of oil. My plan was to slip the barrels into the loading dock and hide the dynamite under some tarp atop one of the barrels, at which point I would use a spell to light it up, causing a tremendous explosion and spreading burning oil all over the vessel. That would teach the bitch a lesson, alright.

Unfortunately, the earlier assassination attempt had resulted in a heavy guard presence, and by the time I arrived almost all the barrels had been loaded. I attempted to just roll them up there and convince one of the deckhands that these were leftover supplies that needed to go on board, but he didn't buy my story and ran for a guard. I double-timed it out of there and pondered swiftly. My window of opportunity was very narrow at this point as guards were beginning to search the area.
>>
>>55101677

Finally, I decided to have my owl familiar just hold the dynamite while I lit it, then fly it over to the side

of the vessel at the waterline and hope the explosion would punch a hole big enough to cause problems. The owl

made a few Dex rolls, resulting in it swinging high above the ship and dropping the dynamite right on the

deck, where it finally exploded with... a bit of a fizzle. The freaking dwarf had tossed a puny little

firecracker at me! It started a bit of a fire, but the ships' wizard put it out in short order. I finally gave

the mission up as a bust and high-tailed it out of there with my compatriot.

Now, I knew that I couldn't stick around, since I'd been out and about the city asking for explosives. Someone

would put two and two together, and my buddy apparently had a few pictures circulating with the words "WANTED"

on them, so we traveled with all due haste towards the North gate over the river, which would let us proceed

towards our eventual goal and meet up with the rest of the group later. The journey to the gate was

uneventful, but it was close to nightfall so the guards were antsy about anyone sneaking into the gates. One

of them started to recognize my buddy, and I was pretty amped up with how things had went, so I decided to

take my chances and dive into the river and swim outside the city walls, making a mad dash for the forest and

freedom. As the guards closed in, my ally followed suit, and soon we two madmen left the light of civilization

for the dark wilderness, soaking cold and without provisions. Surely only good things would await us.
>>
>>55101691
Sorry for the formatting. Fucking notepad.

Meanwhile, my dwarfish friend finally snapped out of his hallucinogenic haze, only for the alchemist to try and haggle him for the price of the dynamite stick. When it came out that he was broke, the alchemist started calling for the guards, prompting our dwarf to stick an axe in his back.

Unfortunately he only grazed him, and the alchemist threw a vial at him which exploded into sticky green goo. Our dwarf decided that discretion was the better part of valor and ran, going down to a second set of piers and hid in a small divot in the rocks, where he waited for a few hours until there were no more guards stomping about in search. He made his way back to the tavern where the rest of the group expressed confusion at the absence of two of the party and his being covered in slime and seaweed. They decided to continue on without us, hoping that we would somehow cross paths yet again.

Meanwhile, as our two erstwhile companions navigated through the woods with a pirate's map and the stars, bestial and hungry eyes watched them from the shadows.

>to be continued.
>>
>>55101485
If all you love is the aesthetic, make a human character who dresses like one.
>>
Is there a DM's guild trove anywhere?
>>
>>55098596

War caster is good, even if you ignore gishing restrictions by forging your focus into the weapon then it's still good because it has two other components.
>>
>>55098677

Ironic really, he could save others from death but not himself.
>>
TG, help me out here.

I'm trying to set up Sunless Citadel in Curse of Strahd, but I'm having a hard time deciding wether the citadel shoul be a forgotten Dusk Elven relic, or a forgotten Terg relic

It's got lots of elvish crunch in it, and it makes more sense for them to have a bit of a crush on Argynvost instead of Arshadalon, but if I make it Terg, I have a motivation for Strahd to have sunked it beneath the earth that I just didn't with the elves

Aditionally, I have written so the Terg emperor was a vampire lord whom Strahd staked in the battle of Yester Hill.
I have all this will to do the gulthias tree at the bottom but little of the plot
>>
>>55101485

Dhamyr in fiction are basically just humans that have super strength and speed, which at higher levels every class has.
>>
>>55101485
Charm Tiefling who is resistant to necrotic instead of fire and also's got the Lizardfolk's bite attack
>>
Can a Paladin Oathbreaker be good in 5e?
>>
How would you people make a sort of gritty paladin that lost his resolution in his oath but didn't become an edgelord necromancer like the Oathbreaker turns you into?
>>
>>55101910
Yes. Anything can anything, it's a pretend game,

Talk to your DM
>>
>>55101920
a fighter
>>
>>55101923
I am the DM. A player wants to be an Oathbreaker but I dont want to let him be evil so he wants "chaotic neutral". Should I let him or it will conflict with the moraly good party?
>>
>>55101936

I still want the mechanics of the paladin though.
>>
lets say i want to play with a spear like the one of the onstein(dark souls) how find it, i mean it doesnt have to have eletricity damage, just be a spear with a edge long enough that i can use it to slice as well
also i am elf
also for a fantasy medieval setting which is best, gurps or 5e?
>>
>>55101947
>or it will conflict with the moraly good party?
It might, but D&D is a game of choices and consequences. If the player and the rest of the party accept the fact that if somebody goes against the rest of party's wishes, they'll have to deal with being imprisoned, attacked or even executed, then you'll be able to handle it maturely.
Considering you won't let players (or at least that specific player) be evil, I'm guessing you don't trust your players to be able to handle inter-party conflict in a mature way. I'd say that, at the very least, be wary of what they do, because it can (and probably will) lead to disagreements and inter-party conflict.
>>
>>55101968

You could just ask your DM to let you reflavor a spear to use slashing damage. Most monsters that are resistant to one physical damage type are resistant to all physical damage types so it's not a buff.

Ornstein uses miracles as well, which would be divine magic, I'd say play him as a paladin and ask your DM if you can change the radiant to lightning (It'd honestly be a nerf since lightning is resisted more and there are less enemies vulnerable to it), so I would imagine he'd let you.
>>
>>55101697
I have to say, your DM is probably a dick who doesn't like you going off rail.
>>
>playing a Mystic
>Brute Force- Brute Strike and Bestial Form- Bestial Claw an enemy
>They get fucking shrek'd

Is this OP or just the power of a caster? I've only ever played boring Maritals.
>>
Do you make your rolls public or private?

I like it when the rolls are all public so there's no room for fudging.
>>
>>55101947
There's not a lot of shades of grey to a knight of the undead, it'd be easier if he'd be basically a type of Paladin of the Raven Queen, or maybe a reluctant paladin of Vecna who doesn't understand why such a dark entity has tainted him with this power

You can even refluff this as a type of warlock instead of standard paladin.
Maybe a witcher of type, communes with evil in order to destroy it.
>>
>>55102116

No, it's actually OP.

also
>Maritals
>>
>>55102121
I stare into my player's eyes when they roll stats to make sure they don't cheat
>>
File: 1329178030523.jpg (28KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1329178030523.jpg
28KB, 320x320px
You take off your armor to sleep, right?
>>
File: IMG_0701.jpg (213KB, 1612x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0701.jpg
213KB, 1612x900px
Thinking about houseruling Sharpshooter To balance it a little bit better. Instead of -5 for +10 I was thinking about making it -7 for +10 or -10 for +15. I feel like it's an option which becomes a "take this or you're a moron" thing when combined with the passive effects

Y/N? Thoughts?
>>
>>55102154

No
>>
>>55102154
If I have spell slots left over I recast mage armor before going to sleep, does that count?
>>
>>55102173

Honestly I hate Sharpshooter and GWM to begin with.

5e should have just had a "Called Shot" that gives you -5 +10.

It's such a must take.
>>
File: Knight 1.png (695KB, 530x665px) Image search: [Google]
Knight 1.png
695KB, 530x665px
>>55102154
Most of my players take off their armor before they go to sleep, except one who made it a point that he always sleeps in full plate. One day he woke up with awful back pain and got a terrible 2-hour massage from one of the other members. To this day he still sleeps in full plate.
>>
>>55102217
GWM isn't as bad because the other effect it has is pretty rare to be used. Sharpshooter is just straight busted when you consider it allows people to just straight IGNORE anything but full cover AND has such a small penalty for a huge boost. It just feels like you don't have a choice if you're an archer type
>>
>>55102241

I mean, most knights did just sleep in their armour.
>>
>>55102247
Honestly though, if the entire purpose of a feat is to improve archery, it is no wonder that archers have no choice other than to pick if they want to be optimal.
>>
How do you handle combat as a Knowledge Cleric?

Also as a Firbolg with Speech of Beast and Leaf, can I use Command and Suggestion on Beast and Plant creature?
>>
>>55102241
Fucking over people wearing plate for no good reason is bad.
Might as well require the wizard to take off his robes and leave his foci on top of the tallest available tree when camping.
>>
Do you force players to have a reason to multiclass? I usually just let them and say that it's just part of their training as X class.

A wizard multiclassing into a cleric might have had a minor in theurgy

A Sorc multiclassing into warlock might have a stronger tie to the raw, unfiltered magics of other planes.
>>
>>55102276
And expanding on that - rather than nerfing Sharpshooter it'd be better to have a new feat with some good and interesting mechanics to compete with Sharpshooter. Right now it is "I'm archer and I don't use crossbows, the only ranged combat feat choice is SS".
>>
>>55102309
>>55102258
It was just for flavor, I did not hit his stats or anything.
>>
>>55102329

Also crossbow master basically means that if you're not using hand crossbows you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>55101961
>I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Pick one dude. Either be a righteous oath keeping paladin, or be a regular fighter who was found wanting in his vows.

If just any old jackass could keep being a paladin when they couldn't cut it then being a paladin would mean nothing.
>>
>>55102423

But you can just reflavor paladins. I'm just asking what would would be the best subclass to take for it.

Flavor isn't set in stone.
>>
>>55101968
You want halbard then. Specifically you want a glaive, but rules wise it would just act like a halbard which is already in the game. Heavy, slashing. two handed, reach weapon. No throwing however.
>>
What's a PC equivalent of a level 2 party, in terms of CR?

I'm thinking level 4
>>
File: 1492066022772.jpg (84KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
1492066022772.jpg
84KB, 800x598px
I've been so thirsty to play D&D that I decided to DM.
>>
>>55102446
you fool
then again I got baited into something like that as well
>>
>>55102444

What.

A player's CR is 1/4 their level, so the total CR of an encounter equals the level of a party of 4.
>>
>>55101968
Gurps never got the feeling of RPG down imo.

I could never get into the mindset to roleplay when i had 20 or so points sunk into a feature that i had to take or i could not function as a character. Felt too much like the worst aspects of 3.5 is what i think im trying to get across.
>>
File: IMG_1860.jpg (76KB, 638x756px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1860.jpg
76KB, 638x756px
I just want to run SKT right out of the book for my first time DMing and one of my players keeps saying this, how true is it and what should I do
>>
>>55102552
>the most important job as a DM is never tell your players no
Nigger what the fuck
>>
>>55102552
Bullshit. DMs who never say No are just as bad as DMs that never say Yes. Balance between the two are needed. Put this pleb in their place.
>>
>>55102552
Tell them your the Dungeon Master.

Not the Entertainer.

tell him to find someone else to treat like a bitch.

You are running SKT out of the book.
>>
>>55102552
>The number one rule is never telling your players no.
That's only half true, if they decide to go exploring off the book or what you have then try to accommodate them. However it is your job to tell them no on complete bullshit so you do have to tell your players no. Also no you can't, but that npc can fight back and there can be consequences for killing them. My players found that out the hard way one time.
>>
>>55102552
>you cant stop her from killing them

Hidden wizard
Dead player

pull the rug out from under them and party wipe them the next time they are a dick to the king. or maybe the world realizes they have better heroes who wont try to take every sheckle they got.
>>
>>55102552
If it's your job, have them pay for your DMing service.

When his character is down to 0 health, have some monster run up and doubletap him dead.
>>
>>55102604
I'm planning to use adventurer league's npc Seer who is a powerful divinition wizard, who they literally cannot kill because she has 9th level spells
>>
>>55102552
Let me guess Andra is chaotic neutral(lulrandum)
>>
>>55102635
Drunken halfling warlock, probably yes
>>
>>55102630
Not him but that's one way to do it, no where does it state you are forced to make NPCs an easy target
>>
>>55102646
The more and more I read about some groups, the more I appreciate my players. Except Jack, stop making memes Jack then you'll be fine.
>>
>>55102576
>>55102583
>>55102584
>>55102601
>>55102604
>>55102613
>>55102635
Well he just sent me some videos about "how to be a good DM" by Projared and the like
>>
>>55102655
I'm surprised there are people still named Jack in 2017.
>>
>>55102552
nah nah nah, I know whats going on. This mother fucker is fishing. Them and their little friend andra are planning to pull some shit.
>>55102630
Smart yo. You know the score. Don't take this turd burglar's shit.
>>
>>55102668
Well they were clearly born before 2017
>>
>>55102684
Fascinating.
>>
>>55102552
1) Yes the players should be free to pick any path they desire. But if they just walk away for no good reason you might as well not GM.
>haha we are forcing you to make up adventure hook after adventure hook
>oh man gm it's like you haven't prepared anything for (the fifth hook we decided to bite on).
2) Yes the players should be free to attack whomever they want to attack. But if they just do it for no good reason, you might as well not use NPCs.
>haha gm I killed the npc you just described haha
>oh wow the npcs sure are boring, they never get any depth
>>
>>55102686
You don't know jack.
>>
>>55102666

You GM in the California Narrative style. Every time they want to go off the rails, that's a handy or a blowie from each person in the group. If you're playing online, it's a cash donation for the same service from an escort, per player.
>>
>>55102552
>The number one rule is never telling your players no.
No. The number one rule for a DM is having fun by having the players have fun. The number two rule is that you make the rules, not them. It's you who decides how the world runs. If they do stupid shit, let them experience consequences. If they try to be dangerous they can discover that the world is dangerous as well.
>>
>>55102666
>projared
I irrationally fucking hate that guy. I think its his chin face. Any way, be all passive aggressive and send him this:

https://youtu.be/Sym1sTA5e2k?list=PLsHhMRkG9uA5_FZ41fGG_ivOPMfQI0cGb
>>
File: 67e.gif (514KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
67e.gif
514KB, 252x200px
>>55102743

Whatever could you mean, anon?
>>
>>55102743

>You're responsible for only the story

I guess I just have a backwards view of it but I feel like DM's are in control of the story and players are (by group vote) in control of the rules.

If you're the DM and want to homebrew a rule and your players don't want that, you can't do it.

I mean you can, but nothing stops them from then walking away and you no longer have people to play with.
>>
>>55102724
Telling "no" to other people outright will lead to them antagonisting you and making the game not fun for the whole table.

Learn some basic social skill dude. The better way to refuse stuff is adding more condition to their request, in other words, says "Yes...but..."
>>
>>55102743
He said that the projared video helped him alot when learning to DM, no wonder he's so fucked
>>
>>55102824

I'd like to add "The DM decides the difficulty"

Maybe, but if your players start saying "Hey dude, i'd rather not be spending 90% of the combats dead and nearly TPKing every combat"

You've got a social obligation to listen to your players, it's meant to be fun for the whole table.
>>
>>55102666
Tell him you know how to GM and stop trying to babysit you.
>>
>>55102801
No there is a more concrete, irrational reason. Back in his screwattack days he started on that sight with a show that was a shot for shot remake of SCRUBS episodes but with him working at a gamespot. And I hate SCRUBS. I have disliked him ever since. I'm sure he may be a lovely person, I just don't like any of his videos. Even his newer stuff, I find that he is covering subjects that others have done better.
>>
Im looking for an herbalism/brewing/item creation system to plug into my campaign any recommendations?
>>
>>55102473
A 3-man lv4 party should be able to beat a CR3 encounter six times a day.
A more accurate representation for CR is about 2/3 of the player level.
>>
>>55102824
>>55102871
I agree somewhat, to me it's always been a give and take on both sides. The DM and players should be able to comprise to agree on a set of rules that works for both. One side shouldn't have all the say in what rules are or aren't used.
>>
>>55102994
woops, I meant a 4-man lv3 party
>>
File: NLA0XAs.png (704KB, 500x653px) Image search: [Google]
NLA0XAs.png
704KB, 500x653px
Making a level 6 Sword and Board Paladin, Variant Human of course.
My array at the moment is 16/10/13/8/10/16, before taking Feats or ASI, and I was wondering which two of the following are the most important to maximising my effectiveness:
Shield Master to knock people the fuck down and stab them on the ground with my extra attack.
Resilient (Constitution) to bump my constitution to 14, and gain save proficiency for concentration checks.
Or finally, using the ASI to bump my strength to 18 for that +4.
Thanks for any help.
>>
>>55103061
Personally if you use concentration spells a lot I'd go Resilient. Otherwise grab the boost to Str.
>>
>>55098392
Nice reference.
>>
>>55103093

EVEN THE COLD STONE PREVENTS PASSAGE
>>
>>55103086
I imagine the only one I'll be using on the regular will be Bless, would that be worth keeping up over the extra 2 STR?
>>
>>55103061
If you are variant human (ugh), then grab resilient for your level 1 feat and get that out the way. Protection from Evil is concentration and it would suck to cast that on yourself and then lose that protection because you were hit by the thing you were protected against and failed the concentration check.

Then grab STR then Shield Master.
>>
>>55103093
Been playing it while waiting for a couple players to get new characters made. I'd work in a crazy old caretaker but one of my players also plays it. Favorite line is "Some fall in the face of chaos, not this one..... Not today."
>>
Favors soul seems, to me, to be a solution to the "sorcerer problem". You don't have as many spells to prepare, but as favored soul, you can hand pick the best spells, for use with metamagic, from two entire lists.

What would you guys say are the best spells to grab for these? I am interested in trying to run a favored soul, most likely with twinned and either subtle, distant, or heightened. Double guiding bolt seems amazing, most likely interested in bless, spiritual weapon, animated dead... Etc
>>
File: HqJovWE.jpg (172KB, 500x704px) Image search: [Google]
HqJovWE.jpg
172KB, 500x704px
>>55103161
Alright, thought that might be the best.
And I went variant human because the majority races in the area are humans and elves, and Half-Elf is even more broken for CHA characters than Variant Human is.
>>
>>55099702
>The main purpose of this limitation is to prevent the tedium of excessive rerolls. Many of the limits in the game are aimed at inhibiting slowdowns. Having no limit would also leave the door open for Great Weapon Fighting to grant more of a damage boost than we intended, although the potential for that is minimal compared to the likelihood that numerous rerolls would bog the game down.

Good god, it's like they're actual designers who play RPGs.
>>
>>55103061
As a Vengeance Paladin (I remember that you wanted to be one a feew threads ago) you will spend about half of your bonus actions throwing around your Vow of Enmity that also happens to grant you advantage on any and all attacks against the target - therefore, the utility of Shield Master is somewhat uncertain to say the least. If you are adamant on going S+B instead of PAM + GWM, my suggestion is Resilient as your level 1 feat and +2 STR as your ASI. You can get more out of Resilient by using your spell slots on Concentration spells instead of Smites, which will also make your high S+B AC into a more attractive target for the enemies. After all, any attack that misses you doubles as an attack that misses your squishies.
>>
>>55103139
If that's all you're gonna use it for then not really.
>>
>>55103190
Too bad Mearl already forgot about that
>>
>>55098770
Tiefling players are the worst.
>>
>>55103247

Frankly, anyone throwing around mind-influencing/control magic in public like that asking for mob violence, devil horns or not.
>>
>>55098770
>>55103267
Subtle Spell master race.
Use Actor to bump odd Cha score. Imitate some schmuck's voice, go to barter to someone's store, cast Friend, make your business in 1 minute and disappear.
>>
>>55102154
"Your assertion is incorrect on two points. With which would you prefer me to start?"
>>
>>55102833
All I did was pointing out that it's all about fun and the DM makes the rules. The guy OP quoted definitely tried to impose his own ruleset onto the DM, making up numbered rules and labeling DMing a "job". I suggested the DM
>let them experience consequences
and
>they can discover that the world is dangerous as well

I don't know what makes you interpret my post as a suggestion to tell them "no" to the face. How did that happen?
>>
What's a good MC for a third rogue to me me some more capabilities if I get stuck in a fight? I wanted to do a deep stalker/thief mc for a cool bounty Hunter type vibe but since it's UA most of my friends who do don't allow it yet. Any ideas?
>>
>>55103429
Barbarogue
>>
>>55100364
>Avoid things like insanity checks that you find i in other Call of Cthulhu type games however. That stuff doesn't really work for 5E.
There's literally a sanity score variant in the DMG
>>
File: 1503793073571.png (6KB, 366x286px) Image search: [Google]
1503793073571.png
6KB, 366x286px
>>55102552
Something tells me he's a real joy to play with.
>>
Does kensei being enough to the table to be worth taking over fighter, barb or any other melee striker? Speaking purely mechanically, of course.
>>
File: 1234567890.png (433KB, 600x592px) Image search: [Google]
1234567890.png
433KB, 600x592px
Did someone say sanity?
>>
>>55103008
yes, the DM should
>>
>>55103429
Thief* give* fucking phone
>>
>>55103446
What's the breakdown usually look like for that?
>>
>>55103627
barbarogue typically goes 2-5 levels barbarian depending on what you're looking for. 2 levels minimum for at will sneak attack, 3 for archetype features, and 5 for extra attack.
>>
>>55103599

I see you're the type of person who want DMing to be a power trip.
>>
>>55103672
>At will sneak attack
How's that?
I like the idea of going 5 for extra attack, are do any of the oaths offer better synergy with rogue than the others? Also is this build only viable with strength?
>>
>>55103510
He's actually a decent guy, just not when it comes to d&d
>>
Can a Folk Hero shoot a fleeing enemy in the back?
>>
>>55103672
Also, do I start as a Barb or rogue?
>>
>>55103682
No, just the kind of DM who read the fucking book. DMs are referees, arbiters of the rules. They make the rulings and decide which rules to use, change, or ignore. Would you like to waste twenty minutes in a session arguing over a rule, or just make a quick ruling and move the game forward?
>>
>>55103709
Barbarian's Reckless Attack gives advantage at-will, and if you have advantage then you automatically qualify for sneak attack assuming you're using an appropriate weapon
>>
>>55103711
I feel you, anon. I actually have to deal with a somewhat similar player myself.
>>
Hey /5eg/, anyone have the Scarred Lands Player's Guide PDF? Didn't see it in the links up top.
>>
Is it bad that I'm playing a female tabaxi rogue even if I'm not being an edgelord snowflake
>>
>>55103172
Around level 5 I would probably do something like :
0 - mage hand, minor illusion, fire bolt, prestidigitation, guidance
1 - bless, mage armor, guiding bolt
2 - spiritual weapon, mirror image/misty step
3 - haste/fireball

You still suffer from not having enough spells to prepare really. There are a lot on those lists that I passed over.
>>
>>55103744
that's up for you to decide.
>>
>>55103709
reckless attack gives you advantage in return for giving enemies advantage vs you.

totem warrior is the best just because the other archetypes suck for the most part. you don't have to insta-pick bear totem though, elk and wolf are particularly good.

it's better with strength for dual wielding short swords/rapier with TWF feat but still attacking with strength, but it's not a requirement. you're going to need at least a 13 to multiclass though, so keep that in mind.

>>55103763
imho you could start as either, but most anons recommend going full barbarian for the first 2-5 levels. if you're expecting the campaign to not last long and not get too far beyond early levels, i'd just grab 2 barbarian then go full rogue.
>>55103744
need more context.
>>
>>55103815
I said yes. The others were less than pleased with my attempt.
DM fiât, they were around the corner and out of range of my shot before I could get a shot off.

DESU I'm a little salty about the entire incident with the weirdos who wanted to befriend a dragon that we didn't actually fight at all.
>>
>>55103805
I think this allows you to come up with a really cool holy blaster/buffer hybrid, but the problem with sorcerer is that you need to really pick a specific focus and excel at it, otherwise you stretch yourself too thin.
>>
>>55103782
Luckily I know he's too pussy to go to 4chan so I can talk shit on him here
>>
>>55103785
People on /tg/ often ask something in the category of "is it possible to do X without being negative stereotype Y?" The answer is akways the same. "Yes, some people can do it, but if you feel the need to ask you are probably just trying to get away with negative stereotype Y."
>>
>>55103873

Honestly, dude, it sounds like you're the odd man out here. No one else thought it was necessary or acceptable to kill that defeated foe. And if you find a dragon and it hasn't been eating people, talking to it is a lot smarter than attacking. Slow your roll, murderboy.
>>
>>55103873
seems your fellow players are misunderstanding the role of backgrounds. They simply exist to give a little background about where your character came from and where they MIGHT be going.

Having Folk Hero as your background does not make you a Paladin (unless you are a Paladin but that's another barrel of fish).

YOU decided to take the shot and that is what is important. Your DM declaring that you couldn't get the shot off is fine too. Your fellow players bitching about your decision is not.

Now if their CHARACTERS are distressed with your actions that is fine. It gives you something to work with with your character.

On a side note, picking a fight with a dragon when your party is not prepared is a dick move as a player.
>>
>>55103768

If your players don't want the ruling, then you shouldn't be making the ruling and any of you have any right to get up and walk away. Usually using a pre-existing rule written within the book bolsters your argument, but if the players still don't like it, not much you can do about it.

It has to be a compromise.
>>
>>55103873
you should have talked to the party and made it clear that this dragon destroyed your village, and that you intended to kill it, expecting them to help
>>
>>55103834
Hmm, so how should I start him out assuming standard point buy? I'm guessing I'll need a good con starting as well?
>>
Aspect of the Beast: Eagle
You gain the eyesight of an eagle. You can see up to 1 mile away with no difficulty, able to discern even fine details as though looking at something no more than 100 feet away from you. Additionally, dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks.

I wish you could get something like that with other classes/races..

I really want to be an Aarakocra and have super sight..
>>
>>55104003
>>55104058
No, no, we talked to the dragon. It's an arrogant sumbitch but we're not dumb enough to fight it. There was an entire thing about the rest of the party talking my hero down from trying to take on the dragon.
>>
>>55100062
Of note, just use short swords and take advantage of your tiny sneak attack extra damage. You can even rage
>>
>>55104146
so you all agreed to befriend it, then you ended up trying to attack it anyway?
>>
>>55104119
depends on your race. if you're going STR barbarogue, just stat just like a normal barbarian, priority of stats being STR>CON>DEX. if you're a DEX barbarogue, you just stat like a normal rogue but with 13 STR, so DEX>CON>everything else.

either way, 1st level your attacking stat should at least be 16 and your CON at least 14.
>>
>>55104143
Why not try asking your DM to exchange one of your classes ribbon abilities for it then?
>>
>>55104172
Not the DRAGON. I was trying to fight the weird people dressed up like dragons who wanted to befriend it.
We just got told to leave town by big scaly bastard.
>>
>>55103834
Hmm, so how should I start him out assuming standard point buy? I'm guessing I'll need a good con starting as well?
>>
>>55104225
>>55104197
Whoops sorry for the double post. Thanks amigo!
>>
>>55104035
>you shouldn't
Notice that? Your language admits that it's the DMs call in the end. Players never ever have the right to force the existence or absence of rules on a DM. It's the DMs game. If they disagree with the players, the party is over. There's either a consensus or there's nothing. There's no compromise. This is very important. On a table there will be conflict. During a conflict, the DM needs authority to deal with it.
>>
What do you guys want from the artificer?

Personally I'd like them to remove their ability to cast spells and make them HAVE to use the infusion, give them some unique spells focused on buffing, improve their spell list massively, make them cast like warlocks, and have their features revolve around making and using magical items.

I'd like to see them get crafting rules for the class itself that allow them to make temporary magic items using a craft reserve, and i'd like to see them get features like thief's "Use Magic item" and the ability to use a magic item as a bonus action.
>>
>>55104359

technically everything's DM's "call" because the game's not coded, it's all literary and there aren't any physical restrictions, however there are restrictions in the sense of "If you do this, your players aren't going to play with you, so you're not really able to do it or else you're not playing DnD".

So yes, there IS a compromise.
>>
>>55104368
>What do you guys want from the artificer?
Make them a half caster and move the Mechanical Servant to its own subclass. The fact that the Artificer in its current state can't use a fucking golem manual even at level 20 is just stupid
>>
Is a ranger's pet smart enough to know how to grapple + pin, if ordered to?
>>
>>55104399
dude we get it. If I don't let you play with your clearly broken homebrew class that you got off some random forum then you wont game with the group. That's a sacrifice I am willing to make.
>>
clerics and paladins are too samey
>>
Thoughts on home brewing some custom weapons? My party found some obsidian stones in their last adventure. One asked if they could make some fancy arrowheads out of them. I said I'll get back to them.

Does a -2 to hit / 1d4+1 slashing against unarmored or natural armor arrow seem fun and flavorful? It would be a very brittle head that would probably shatter on impact.
>>
>>55104486
wrong
>>
File: 1466104849953.jpg (88KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1466104849953.jpg
88KB, 640x640px
>>55104455
>>
>>55104455

>Strawman can dance

No, if you as a DM say "I want everyone to roll con every time they eat to check if they don't choke" and your players say "Dude that's fucking stupid I'm not playing if you do that" you as a DM don't really have a choice.

You either abandon the ruling, or you don't have a party to play with, therefore you're not playing DND, therefore you can't make the ruling anyway since there isn't a game you can apply it to.
>>
>>55104504
they're like the same character

just holy faggots that can fight and in the name of their lame ass "god"
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>55104520
>>
>>55104442
I like how in previous editions Artificers could ignore not only restrictions on magic item use, but also magic item crafting. If the item required a spell that artificers didn't have, they could ignore that and make it anyway.
>>
>>55104520

Paladins don't have gods in 5e, their power comes from pure devotion to a cause.
>>
>>55104492
You could make them ignore physical resist but not be recoverable by search
>>
>>55104520
wrong again
>>
File: 1499696457119m.jpg (140KB, 1024x847px) Image search: [Google]
1499696457119m.jpg
140KB, 1024x847px
>>55103574
I wonder how well a campaign would work using Darkest Dungeon as a base
>>
>>55101585
That Duergar has a shield.
>>
What would be a good deity for an abjuration wizard in forgotten realms?
>>
>>55103768
I forget if I'm not 100% Clea Rin what I say people have a fit. Yes the DM is in charge of enforcing the rules but they can on the fly fudge them for the sake of fun or rule of cool, this shouldn't be a habit but a on rare occasions basis. Also before the game starts the DM AND players should agree on if optional rules like feats, injury etc should be used or not.
>>
File: 1497226826161.gif (2MB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1497226826161.gif
2MB, 400x267px
>>55102446
I know that feel. GM that introduced my friend and I to d&d was unable to host for 3 weeks straight and I caved.
>>
>>55104492

I'm not a fan of flat bonuses so here's my idea:

Obsidian Arrowheads:
Deal slashing damage
Crit against "Creatures of the cold" (any creature vulnerable to fire, undead and ice based creatures)
Causes creatures with blood to bleed, on hit the creature makes a constitution saving throw with a DC equal to the attack roll, on a failure they bleed for 1d4 damage each turn for a number of turns equal to how much they failed the roll by. This stops if they're healed in anyway.

The arrow heads can not be scavenged after combat, as they shatter upon impact,.
>>
>>55102446
welcome to being forever DM
>>
What are some encounters in a mountainous area that can challenge a group of level 4's

>Wood elf life cleric
>Mountain dwarf battlemaster fighter
>Tiefling lore bard
>Half-elf wild mage sorcerer
>>
>>55104585

I'd love to play a darkest dungeon campaign.

No fudging die, all hard encounters, with deadly boss battles, stress/sanity rules and powergaming to the max. Death is final, no resurrections, however when you drop to 0hp you don't fall unconscious and make death saving throws, instead you remain conscious (but have disadvantage on everthing) and make a saving throw whenever you get hit, there are to successful saves, only failed and unfailed saving throws.
>>
>>55104585
I frequently take inspiration from Darkest Dungeon in more or less horrible ways. It works decently but I think if I did it all the time, player's hope and will to fight would just die.
>>
File: chick.jpg (183KB, 850x607px) Image search: [Google]
chick.jpg
183KB, 850x607px
>>55104688
They find a pic related as big as they are. Whoever's good with nature recognizes it as a roc chick.

Could be an interesting RP encounter. What do they do with it?
>>
Does anyone have the Dragonlock set? Looking to create my first D&D dungeon
>>
>>55104399
You seem to misunderstand the relationship between players and GM. The GM is the guy who provides a game. Players are the guys who partake in a GM's game. As a player you are entitled to nothing but your right to get the fuck away from my table. For a compromise, all involved sides provide something to find a common ground. Therefore, if I adapt a rule to your liking, that cannot be a compromise, as you provide nothing beneficial to me in return. Well, except you walking away. That might be beneficial. So the next time you try to coerce your DM, or call it having a 'compromise' with your DM, you should offer leaving the table first. This might benefit everyone.
>>
>>55104765

>Nothing beneficial

A player's attention is beneficial you egotistical prick, you can't run a game without players, all you can do is sit there writing shitty stories that will never get used if you're a shitty DM and try to implement shitty homebrew rules.
>>
>>55104707
I'm tempted to run such thing. You start off with 1st levels, XP is gained through murdering significant enemies, killing bosses, clearing dungeons or for gold.

If you die, you're gone for good and you grab new PC at 1st level. You can spend gold to upgrade hamlet and start off with higher levels. You can also upgrade hamlet so that each player can have multiple PCs at their disposal, allowing them not to send their currently crippled favorite veteran to certain death.

The game's point would be "See how many lives does the Dungeon claim before you complete it" with bunch of other challenges or achievements thrown in to spice things up, such as ensuring starting party members survive the ordeal or face X boss.
>>
>>55104652

That is flavour country.
>>
I'm going to start GMing a campaign soon, and one of the players, a first timer, wants to be a CE paladin
Should I be concerned?
>>
>>55104923
Yes, very
>>
>>55104898

How is that flavor? They're all mechanical bonuses:

Crits against certain enemies
Bleeds enemies with blood
Deals slashing damage
>>
>>55104923
>A first timer
>Wants to be CE
Get ready to hear "but that's what my character would do!"
>>
>>55104923
Let me give you the advice that every new DM wishes they listened to.

Do. Not. Allow. Evil. Characters. In. Your. First. Game.

The only exception is if they can make a REALLY good case for Lawful Evil
>>
>>55104953
My GM always put a lot of treasure in the dungeons so that evil characters stop have it in their interests to not derail shit
>>
>>55104953

Neutral evil isn't that bad either.

Way I see it:

Lawful Evil: Mafia boss, corrupt guard ect.
Neutral Evil: Merc, sellsword, thief.
Chaotic Evil: Serial Killer, Rapist (This is where the problems lie)
>>
>>55104987
>Neutral Evil: Merc, sellsword, thief.
Wouldn't that be more chaotic neutral?
>>
>>55104923
Is it an evil campaign? If no then it's a horrible idea
>>
>>55104953
>>55104987
For chaotic evil I imagine Gul'dan from Warcraft as a base
>>
>>55105010
No, because they do things for self-gain, for material goods.
Not just because they like stabbing people.
>>
>>55105010
To me Mercs and sellswords are hard to pin down because they can run the gambit. Normally I think of them as Lawful Neutral as a general base, then Yu always have your odd groups that are a bit more ruthless.
>>
>>55105010
Mercs/sellswords could easily be just about any alignment, except maybe CE
>>
>>55104987
I told her to be a paladin of Talos (Forgotten Realms) and she's on a mission to destroy society or something, but she had to be clever and sneaky about it, to force her to not be too chaotic or evil
>>
>>55104652
A DC equal to the attack roll is missing the point of saves

I'd recommend designing them around the standard 8 + Dex + Proficiency Modifier method

Also, I recommend you amending "creatures of the cold" to creatures with resistance to cold damage other than constructs.
>>
>>55101348
>Grappling
>Shieldmaster
>Dealing damage at the same time.
So.. youre doing unarmed strikes or hitting them with improvised shield attacks?
>>
>>55104987
Any alignment is fine as long as you follow the rules of "your character should be willing to work with the party completely and not be a dick". In a campaign I am playing, I play a CE sorcerer. He is a "favored soul" tiefling who's effectively connived his way into becoming prometheus and stealing divine magical power for his own greedy use. He desires power and fame, and thus adventures with the group.

As long as your primary motivation is adventuring, your ulterior motives are usually fine.
>>
>>55105010

They're ending lives for money, that's pretty evil.
>>
>>55105085

I just thought if the attack hit a more vital spot it'd bleed for longer.
>>
>>55105156
Adventurers end lives all the time for loot, does that make every PC evil?
>>
>>55105156
You say that as if the average lawful good PC won't go fuck up some bandits for money.

The alignment of a mercenary to me is more like where their limits are. How far they're willing to go for a few coins
>>
>>55105098

I'd say that's more Neutral Evil.

To me Chaotic evil needs some sort of impulsiveness and instinct.
>>
>>55105156
Depends on who's life is being ended anon, someone who is hired to go clear out a scum of the earth bandit camp is clearly different than an assassin hired to off a noble
>>
>>55105176
>>55105183

If that's their soul motivation for it i'd say it would be yes, if they also have a motivation of taking jobs to help cleanup society of wrongdoers then that could be neutral or good, but solely doing it for money, for your own personal gain, is the definition of evil.

I expect a lawful good player to be making the world a better place, and looking out for other people.
>>
>>55105220
>but solely doing it for money, for your own personal gain, is the definition of evil.
It's literally not but ok
>>
>>55105256

Evil is doing something for your own gain with no respect for the rights of others.
>>
>>55104838
>A player's attention
Oh wow. Astonishing that you call me an egoistical prick. Good luck finding an idiot who puts up with you.

Let me try one last time. A group of players who decide to play D&D decide to submit to the DM's rulings. They may leave the table if they disagree. One player isn't as important as the GM. No GM right in their mind will let themselves get coerced by a group of players to rule shit in any other way than they want. NOTHING on table happens that the GM does not want except from players leaving. A game happens on the GM's terms, not the players. The GM is not your bitch, no matter how large the group.
>>
>>55105266
And who's to say the mercenary doesn't have that respect?

Everyone has to make money some how, and if I'm a good fighter I'll go with that. I get hires to clear some bandits near town that have been attacking merchants, and because I have the audacity to ask for some money so I can buy food tomorrow I'm evil?
>>
>>55105266
Not him but that's what you view as evil, what if those Mercs are doing because they are former soldiers and have no other skills to feed their families with? Are the still evil even though they're only doing it for money?
>>
File: 1498550798561.jpg (114KB, 697x957px) Image search: [Google]
1498550798561.jpg
114KB, 697x957px
>>55102446
>tfw I was in that situation too
>I was doing so poorly, the former forever DM came out of retirement and took over again
I'm so sorry for doing this to you.
>>
>>55105284

You keep making this as if I'm the sole subject, no the entire conversation was about DM's making rules that the whole, or majority, of the players disagree with.

This isn't
>one player
this is a whole group of players who don't want the DM to be making up shitty rules. The DM, like any player, is beholden to the majority's desires.
>>
>>55105320
>>55105284
>>55104838
>>55104765
>>55104399
>>55104359
>>55104035
>>55103768
>>55103682
>>55103599
>>55103008
Will you two just fuck and get it over with already?
>>
>>55105320
>DM why do you let enemies crit us we don't like that rule get rid of it

>Here's our idea, whenever an enemy lands a natural 20, they have to reroll it and take the next result, if it's a 20 they have to reroll
>>
>>55105341

DM then has two options

They take the rule, because the players want it and it makes the game more fun for the majority, though your strawman is unlikely to ever come up

or

They go find and DM for a different group.
>>
>>55104734
Hope it doesn't try to eat them
>>
>>55104734

Take it as a pet, feed it their enemies.
>>
How do you play a Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric in combat? My PC died and as I've never played a caster before and our party doesn't have one, I want to try it out. Level 12, Out of the Abyss. What types of spells should I be choosing? Which caster would best fit the party (Monk, Gunslinger, Barbarian, Ranger)? I hear a lot about how they're good at crowd control, how does that work, how do you go about it? Sorry for all the questions, no one's played a caster in our game and I don't want to slow down the table trying to figure it all out on the spot.
>>
>>55105437

Sorc, twin haste on your gunslinger and monk.
>>
>>55105088
I gave the Battlemaster in my party a pair of magic gauntlets that can expand and contract a shield using a command word bonus action for this reason. Think like Daern's Instant Fortress, but a shield in a gauntlet instead of a Fortress in a box.
>>
>>55105483
Plus this actually gives him something to use for his bonus action that competes with shield master
>>
Would a lawful good character ruin everyone's fun at adventurer's league?
>>
>>55103529
kensei is shit my niga
>>
>>55105589
Depends on how he's played.

A no-fun bot is a no-fun bot no matter what language you use.
>>
What do I need to do to be effective in combat as a life cleric?
>>
>>55104733
In what regards? Regale us
>>
>>55105338
The majority of the GM perspective posts isn't me, so you're calling for a gangbang.

>>55105320
It does not matter. This isn't democracy.

>>55105380
Just listen to yourself.
>They take the rule, because the players want it and it makes the game more fun for the majority
Calling this 'an option' is batshit crazy. Are you insane? What if a group of three suggested this, but in reality, it was dude A who bullied both dude B and dude C into agreeing. The GM has no say because ''''the majority'''' wants it? Really? You just turned the whole game into dude A's game and it WILL tear apart everything.

>though your strawman is unlikely to ever come up
Unlikely? You think that's unlikely? You think bullshit of that magnitude doesn't happen regularly? What's wrong with you?
>>
>>55105629
>The majority of the GM perspective posts isn't me, so you're calling for a gangbang.
Well in that case then you fuckers should go make your own thread
>>
>>55105598
I guess because I'm used to milestones, and it seems due to traditional experience murderlooting your way through everywhere is the way to go in AL if you want gold/exp.
>>
>>55105629

You see, what you do in this scenario is get all your bullshit out the way in a session zero.

Also
>Bullying
Whatever makes your argument work

A tabletop game is a democracy, the pic YOU posted says that a DM's role is to make sure people are having fun, if the majority of the players aren't having fun because of a rule that either exists or YOU put into the game, it's your prerogative to remove it.

If you want to play by RAW or with certain rules, you make that clear in session zero, rather than ruling it in the middle of a campaign.
>>
Skt dms: how did you foreshadow klauth, imyrith, and slarkrethel so that they don't just show up out of the blue once the players reach the court or get the airship? I want the villains to be more visible than just in the last few chapters. I feel like that is one thing skt does poorly. The villains just kind of appear out of nowhere at the end.
>>
>>55105468
Twinned haste seems really good. Another question... Sorcerers have SUPER limited spells known in comparison to Wizards and Clerics, how the hell do you narrow it down so much?
>>
>>55105596

yes but what does it do that's special?
>>
>>55105752
Personally I'd go sorc with ritual caster feat and 2 levels into warlock.

Don't need spells when you're spamming eldritch blast.
>>
>>55105754
use one sword
>>
>>55105733
I actually introduced Klauth very early because I like the idea of an all powerful dragon messing with a low level party. It was mostly the party's fault though because I first introduced the airship (not to give to them, just to show that it exists) and they attacked it. This ended up causing the death of a PC and two of them becoming servants/slaves to Klauth.
Imyrith I kind of included in the background of a character but I agree she is hard to foreshadow.
Slark I foreshadowed with the captain of the ship the party took. He talked about purple rocks and their tentacle pendants.
>>
>>55105779

Eh?

I mean compared to other martials what does it do that makes it a worthwile pick other just being a stun bot like a monk usually is?
>>
What are some interesting random encounters that can happen in a city?
>>
>>55105822
>the party runs into a cute witch in training (male or female) who is lost and trying to deliver packages on their flying broom. Can you help give them directions?

>a merchant is trying to sell very exotic weapons that no self-respecting warrior would learn to use. Can your party put on a good enough show to various potential customers to try and get rid of these showy hunks of metal?
>>
>>55105822

Street gang assaults the group in a narrow alley, demanding their money.

Party gives it to them, and they either go off or they don't believe the party gave them all of it, by the look of their gear, and attack because they think they're being skimped.

The party runs away, and they chase potentially losing them

The part kills them and angers the mob boss, which could be a story hook.
>>
>>55105822
A huge bar fight spills out into the streets, make some saves or get caught in it, rolling around in the mud and the blood and the beer taking damage over and over until its broken up
>>
>>55105619
I introduce sanity systems but they act only in particularly horrifying places e.g. aboleth dungeon, where it actively wanted to mind-break them. I add brutal traps, often laid on the battlefield where there is no time to carefully look for them, set party against strong opposition that capitalizes on their weaknesses and so on. I give them feeling (or at times: certainty) of being watched, making them paranoid about ambushes and the like, which makes them avoid taking rests out of fear, spreading their resources really thin. Make them feel very unwelcome in the dungeon and extremely relieved when the expedition is finally over.

It's fun but stressful, and it'd get annoying or boring if it went like that all the time, so I obviously don't always make dungeons like this.
>>
What are folks favorite / least favorite dungeons from Tales? Why so?
>>
Say my character has 13+ wisdom and I want to take the wizard rituals from ritual caster feat, but Int was my dump stat, can i still take the wizard rituals or am i limited to wisdom based rituals
>>
>>55105808
Yeah this is mostly what I am doing. Klauth I think I am going to have meet them while polymorphed as a nobleman while in his vale and be very inquisitive about their actions, dropping his name at the end of the conversation.

Slarkrethel is actually my warlocks secret patron, so I am trying to build that up hard. When they are in yartar I am going to do a lot of foreshadowing with the cult and the purple rocks.
>>
>>55106074
ritual caster places no restriction on whether or not you can take a spell from a class, so you're free to take wizard rituals
>>
>>55106130
So its just you have to be mentally talented to do these rituals
>>
>>55106148
about as mentally talented as the 8 int wizard
>>
what's a taboxi?
>>
>>55106168
Hey man his int is 9 and he's a druid
>>
>>55105818
flavor
i mean
you can roleplay as a badass tolkienlike elf who uses one sword with no shield but still kill demons
thinking about it why didnt /tg/ made a setting based in a post apocaliptic tolkien world(eru is nowhere to be seen).
>>
>>55106200
Imagine a cat furry
Now make it slightly less anthro (no bewbies)
Congrats its a tabaxi
>>
>>55105858
The party's never gonna give the money. They'll just gang up on the bandits right away.
>>
>>55106218

The original post specifically said from a mechanical perspective.
>>
>>55106234
swinging a sword involve mechanical energy.
>>
>>55106200

A tabaxi is a feline humanoid similar in appearance to a jaguar that lives in the Forgotten Realms equivalent of South America. They're very good at running and climbing.
>>
>>55106245

Are you retarded?

What are the reasons for playing a Kensai from a purely mechanical perspective, not flavor reasons, a pure minmax perspective.
>>
>>55106074
I don't get wheee you wouldn't get this from. There's nothing in the feat saying this.
>>
>>55106270
>minmax player
why did i even reply
>>
>>55106283
I Think its kind of RAI
>>
>>55106248
>>55106221
didn't know they were races in d&d
>>
>>55106245
>>55106302
not the same anon but he's asking what the mechanic benefit of kensai is over other martials. are you too autistic to answer a simple question?
>>
>>55106333
Yeah, Volo's guide to monsters added it
>>
>>55106333
Got added in volos anon, are pretty rare before that, only one I ever heard of before volos was a dancer or something in the dalelands
>>
>>55106333
In AD&D times, the Tabaxi (with a capital T) were also a race of humans from Chult. An explorer made the "what is that thing called/a finger" mistake with a dude wearing a ceremonial jaguar skin and thought the men were also called Tabaxi.
>>
>>55106302

Oh i'm sorry some people like to play a tabletop game like an actual game you retard.
>>
>>55106373
Then get into wargaming
>>
>>55106390

Jesus christ, 5e brought in some right fucking retards.
>>
Is Power Attack or something like it in 5e? It gives you +1 damage if you choose to have -1 attack, +2DMG if -2ATTK and so on
>>
Has anyone here ever actually had the chance to use the Wish spell? What did you do?
>>
File: IMG_0981.jpg (90KB, 600x547px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0981.jpg
90KB, 600x547px
>>55106404
Yah, like you
>>
>>55106411
closest thing is the Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter feats, which are a flat -5 attack +10 damage. They're pretty strong once you get high enough attack bonuses and multiple attacks.
>>
>>55106308
Why would you think that.
>>
File: 1497995569694.gif (797KB, 844x475px) Image search: [Google]
1497995569694.gif
797KB, 844x475px
>>55106404
>minmax player calling ANYONE a retard
the name is roleplaying tabletop not minmaxing tabletop
>>
>>55106420
Got it from a luck blade, used it to reverse an alignment change curse on a party memeber
>>
>>55106362
>>55106361
>Volo's guide to monsters
Oh I didn't know they were a thing, this pre gen thing (Forged Anvil) I use doesn't have them in it.

Is there a link for the Volo's info?
>>
>>55106435
I need to talk with my DM about it
>>
>>55106473
Check the trove
>>
>>55102154
I assume my players do. If they didn't, I'd say the rest doesn't count for them. That shit would be too uncomfortable.
>>
>>55106444
I'm sure glad we all play RPTTs.
>>
From the question the other day, how's this for a race in my setting?

Tarro:
+2 Con
Size: Medium
Languages: Common and Primordial
Darkvision: The night is the domain of dreams, hailing from the tumultuous sea that is the dreamscape you're capable of seeing dim light within 60 feet as bright light and darkness within 60ft as dim light.
Dream Constructs: You do not need to eat or drink. Instead of sleeping you may enter a trancelike state for 4 hours as you regain your energy from the dreamscape.

Fragmented Mind: Your mind cannot be read. You are resistant to psychic damage.

Sub races:

Wands:
+1 Int
Cunning: You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.

Coins:
+1 Cha
Proficiency: You are proficient with the persuasion skill
Toughness:
You hitpoint maximum increases by 1, and increases by 1 each level.

Cups:
+1 Wis
You are proficient in the Insight skill
Innate Magic:
You know the Friends cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Suggestion spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting modifier for these spells.

Swords:
+1 DEX
Your speed increases by 5ft
You may move through the space of any creature
You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you
>>
>>55106444

Christ sometimes I wonder if people wanted WOTC to remove any semblance of crunch from the game and turn the system into improv acting.
>>
>>55106496
I'm of the opinion the combination of sub race and main race collectively gives way too much. Way too much. Subraces are too heavily loaded.

Also a Taro bear barbarian would be resistant to everything while raging.
>>
File: IMG_1771.jpg (47KB, 610x559px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1771.jpg
47KB, 610x559px
>>55106546
Who put you on the planet
>>
>>55106496
At a glance, I think Wands would be the new best wizard race. The rest is a bit more powerful than average, but power creep is a thing that happens in RPGs and nothing jumps out as excessive. Still, Wands is too much. Why wouldn't I play a Wizard with that?
>>
>>55106473

OrcPub contains most of their info, minus a couple details. Their abilities are +2 DEX/+1 CHA, they have Darkvision 60 and a Climb speed of 20, their claws are a natural weapon that deals 1d4+STR slashing, they get Stealth and Perception Proficiency. They also have the unique ability to double their speed on their turn, but can't use it again until they spend a turn without moving.
>>
>>55106591
his mum
>>
>>55106594

I just took the cunning feature from gnomes though :<
>>
>>55106582
So a bard
>>
When playing out of a published module such as death house or curse of strahd (I've read through death house, haven't opened curse of strahd yet as we haven't even had session 0 yet) and monsters are defeated do you roll for loot? Death House doesn't mention it so I'm assuming the only loot they get is stuff they plunder from the house itself
>>
>>55106608
Ehhh not magical though, closer to rogue than bard I'd think. Maybe Mastermind with a couple changes
>>
>>55106423

just answer the fucking question. What mechanical advantage would a kensai have over another martial class that makes me want to use weapons instead of being a stun-bot.

They don't seem to do more damage, they don't seem to bring more utility, they don't seem more durable.
>>
New thread
>>55106650
New thread
>>55106650
New thread
>>55106650
New thread
>>55106650
>>
>>55106643
I just saw that you were a minmaxing faggot and jumped in
>>
>>55106496
above the average power level of your race, not brokenly so though. the subraces all give too much in combination with the base racial features.
>>
>>55106582
Courtier background
>>
>>55106643

Essentially, a Kensai is a more damage-oriented monk. You can use any of your martial weapons as "Monk weapons" (able to use STR or DEX for attack and damage, with a Bonus Action 1d4 flurry), and later substitute your Martial Arts damage for the weapon's damage. Other features include treating your Kensei weapons as magical for beating damage resistance/immunity, doubling your proficiency bonus on your next attack, spending up to three ki points to boost attack and damage for a minute, and finally, rerolling one missed attack per turn.
>>
>>55106607
Already a significant outlier in power.

Thing is, though, Gnomes have a lot of flavour attached to them. The answer to that question "why wouldn't I play a Gnome" could be "I don't like Gnomes", because people have their own preconceptions as to what a Gnome is. A new race, like the one you're making, is going to be approached on a more mechanical level, with players feeling freer to make up their own racial fluff.

Put another way, I wouldn't want to play a 3ft tall absent minded professor comic relief Wizard, but I'd love to play a tough, magic resistant Wizard, and Darkvision and not needing to sleep are nice extras on top of that. I could be describing Gnomes or Wand Tarro, but only the second one has no extra unwanted details so that I can make my character freely.
>>
How guys, I'm making aV. Human battle master/thief mc for an upcoming campaign and I decided to go with 8,14,16,14,13,8 for my stats after modifiers with resilient Dex as my feat. If I want to use fast hands and a grappling hook for fun with my bonus actions am I going to be fucked since I dumped Str?
>>
>>55107169
Whoops, I meant 8, 16, 16, 14, 13, 8. We're using a 28 pt point buy.
>>
File: psx-110-31312318122.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
psx-110-31312318122.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
I want to make a few battle encounters in the vein o Final Fantasy Tactics. The set-ups for the maps were cool in how thematic the locations were. So I wanted to emulate the style in my larger maps to try tactical battles on my players. I know to emphasize choke points, elevation, cover, weather, and starting the battle in a screwed position... since those are hallmarks of FFT battles. I'm thinking of doing one outside of an abandoned church during a storm with an open roof for archers to be shooting from.

Any advice or stories from other people who ran/played in battles focused on tactics, or in the style of FFT?
>>
>>55100340
>Or is it the location, AT THE TIME?

It is the location, at the time. As stated in the image.
>>
>>55101947
Jaime Lannister is an oathbreaker and killed his own king. Everyone thinks of him as a villain for his misdeeds until it's revealed that he did what he did because the lives of a Million people are more important than his honor.

A character doesn't have to be chaotic to break their oath.
>>
>>55108696
Jaime is a really interesting study of Chaotic Evil character redeeming themselves with a Lawful Good choice, which is seen as a Chaotic action by the people who weren't involved therefor undoing his redemptive action, then jumps hard into jump-roping along the Law/Chaos line for the rest of his life as a result.
Thread posts: 404
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.