[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 52

File: WhatDoYouDo.jpg (144KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
WhatDoYouDo.jpg
144KB, 1000x1000px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread
>>54792148

What's the most cringeworthy character you've ever actually played as? Not your friend or D&D acquaintance - YOU?
>>
>>54801426
I've played a halfling bard who wanted to fuck anything he could get a hold of. And who also spent most of the sessions he was alive trying to convince the werewolf to bite him.
>>
>>54801426
edgelord who wanted to be a god of death, carved his symbol into every body he killed to "claim it"
>>
For GMs who prepare music for your games, how do you organize your soundtracks?

>Battle
>Ambient
>Tension
what else?
>>
A brother to a canon character, who was evil, edgy and only wanted to become stronger. He was called Shadow too.
It was over eight years ago.
>>
File: Gnome_Fantasy.jpg (59KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
Gnome_Fantasy.jpg
59KB, 768x960px
>>54801426
Back in the heyday of 3.PF I played a Gnome Alchemist who was dressed like a stereotypical lawn gnome (but with leather as opposed to cloth), whose introduction to the party was him throwing bombs at them, and claimed to be from the moon cause why the fuck not.

Needless to say I was kicked from the group after the first session.
>>
>>54801522

Theme, maybe? There are some specific tracks I wouldn't qualify as Ambient, but aren't quite Tension, either.
>>
File: remote_v09_224_225.jpg (611KB, 1073x1094px) Image search: [Google]
remote_v09_224_225.jpg
611KB, 1073x1094px
>>54801426
I half copied Archer from FSN except as a ranger
I still wake up screaming
>>
>>54801507
Holy shit, that's a higher level of edginess than I've ever seen in a game.

>>54801570
Did you have an accent?
>>
>>54801093
>Man guys we need a big strong and tough race for those people who like gaitn-ish characters
>hey we're using Forgotten Realms as a base setting, and the Firbolgs are strong and tough giant-kin who have traded the strict caste system for a meritocracy while also forming their own code of honor
>How about we use those Goliaths from 3e?
>Oh... okay, well they had some interesting lore based on their mountain-dwelling cultures and--
>Let's just boil them down for ease of use.
>Now we need a hippie race
>Well there are the voadkyn, hybsil, lythari...
>Oh what about the Firbolgs?
>I think you're confusing Firbolgs with Voadkyn--
>Firbolgs it is.
>>
>>54801634
>Holy shit, that's a higher level of edginess than I've ever seen in a game.
not my finest moment
>>
File: b515e3c4ea42b6b723d20af3eeb3af54.jpg (439KB, 660x1000px) Image search: [Google]
b515e3c4ea42b6b723d20af3eeb3af54.jpg
439KB, 660x1000px
As a Cleric, can you hide your intentions from your own deity or do they always know what you're thinking? Can they be deceived into granting you power if you're a good enough actor?

Also, has anyone played as a Cleric with the Ambition domain? Is it any good?
>>
Help with a custom item for my players. A magic warhammer than deals 1d4 cold damage per attack. My players are going to be level 4 and I want to give them their first magic weapon as they heard a rumor about treasure atop a mysterious tower. I designed the tower to be difficult because I was hoping they wouldn't go their first. Now I want their to be a downside for using this warhammer against undead. Should I make it heal undead on hit? Disadvantage when attacking undead? Wisdom saving throw to attack undead? My autism for balance is really something. If I give it a noticeable drawback should I make it deal 1d6 or more cold damage? I guess it's better to make the item weak initially and then maybe buff the item instead of too strong and have to nerf.
>>
File: image.jpg (542KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
542KB, 1200x1000px
How good is Battlerager? let's assume a non dwarf restriction. It seems pretty cool even if 1d4 doesn't scale well.
>>
>>54801679
I would say no because I feel like cleric spells and divine magic are more of a "how much faith do you have" thing.
But sure, why not? Ask your DM about how gods work in his setting or decide for yourself if you're DMing.
>>
>>54801679
>As a Cleric, can you hide your intentions from your own deity or do they always know what you're thinking? Can they be deceived into granting you power if you're a good enough actor?
Ask your DM
>>
>>54801679
Ambition domain?
>>
>>54801751
http://www.tribality.com/2017/07/10/magic-the-gathering-plane-of-amonkhet-setting-for-dd-5e/

It's mostly just stuff from the Trickery and Light domains.
>>
People should have at least 6 children with 3 reaching adulthood.
>>
>>54801679
Depends on the setting. Clerics are not always assumed to gain their power directly from their god, and even when they do, it's often a one-time gift that is then the cleric's to do with as they will.
I would say that if all your spells come directly from your god, then you can't really "fool" them into giving you magic despite not believing in them/following their code. Gods aren't necessarily omniscient but they are pretty damn smart.

>>54801722
>>54799917
Can you rephrase your question in the form of "not attaching fetish pictures to an unrelated question"?
>>
>>54801679
As a DM, I'd rule no. Angels know when they hear a lie so I'd rule that the gods would know when you were lying as well.
>>
>>54801426

Bipolar rogue who sometimes saved babies and sometimes flayed werewolves alive.
>>
>>54801679
Possibly.

I mean, you have no chance to hide your intention if deity decide to learn what you're up to, but if you're subtle enough, you might be willing to go under the radar, not drawing its attention to you.

That said: My interpretation is that said deity know you in depth and that's why it gives you spell - because you're in agreement. If it knows yoǘ're treacherous shit and still grants you spells, you might have a chance to do it.

>>54801706
Maybe just the cold damage doesn't work on undead? MAYBE even the magic of hammer doesn't work for overcoming undead's resistances, but i think that might be too much bookkeeping.
>>
>>54801634
No I did not have an accent. Would that really have made it significantly worse given all the other shit I just listed?
>>
What happens in your table if your players botch an attack?

How many encounter per day?

What rest rules do you use?
>>
>>54801818
"Chaotic Neutral"?

>>54801830
>ǘ
I've never even seen this accent mark before.
Gods work in mysterious ways. The god may think you're "tricking" them now, but will come around eventually. Who knows? They might even be right.
>>
>>54801706
I say go with 1d6 cold damage. 1d4 is kind of meh, especially if it has a drawback.
As for the drawback itself, create something that makes sense. Maybe tell your players that the cold damage is something that attacks the target's heart or soul, so undead are immune to it. You could also make it attack with disadvantage against undead, as if it goes against the will of the hammer itself.
>>
>>54801869

Actually I began as Lawful Evil, then I swiched to Lawful/True Neutral. It was just one or two times that I crossed the line twice. I had a poor grasp of alignments.
>>
>>54801722
3rd level ability is pretty decent because it's kind of like one of the abilities in the Polearm feat and Barbarians don't commonly get something to use their bonus action with. Plus since it's a melee weapon attack it still scales a bit with your rage bonus damage and Strength.The other ability isn't even worth mentioning though, as with most things that have to do with grappling in this system.

6th ability ain't bad either, since you take off 3-5 damage every time you use reckless attack.

10th ability feels like something that would be better as a level 6th, but then again will make your barbarian a lot faster combined with the +10 movement you get normally.

14th level ability is pretty much the Berserker's ability only worse in every single way except you don't have to roll to deal the pitiful damage at least.
>>
I might be missing something since I'm using 5etools instead of a handbook, but did 5e do away with carrying capacity?

Is there any reason for my caster to worry about strength at all, or can I dump it completely?
>>
File: Faggot detector.jpg (90KB, 610x407px) Image search: [Google]
Faggot detector.jpg
90KB, 610x407px
>>54801865
>Botch
THIS IS NOT A FUCKING THING IN 5E, STOP THIS SHIT RIGHT NOW, REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
The Druid and Battlemaster in my game discovered that if the druid casts hold person on an enemy, the Battlemaster can auto-crit him 4 times by spending his action surge and burn all 4 superiority dice to shit out 16d6+8d8+16 damage in a single turn. They're only level 5. What sort of monsters have I created?
>>
>>54802015
>but did 5e do away with carrying capacity?
No, it did not. Your carrying capacity is your strength times 15.
>>
Does anyone have that table with the weapon stats from when they were beta testing 5e?
>>
>>54802038
Thanks, pal.

Is there a reason not to dump int if it's not my casting stat and my character isn't particularly intelligent?
>>
>>54802056
Only if you're about to enter a mind flayer heavy campaign.
>>
>>54802028
have more than one monster per combat and this tactic falls apart.
>>
File: hysterical_laughter.gif (500KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
hysterical_laughter.gif
500KB, 480x228px
>playing D&D 5th edition
Why would you even want to play one of the dullest tabletop role-playing games in the history of tabletop roleplaying games? Seriously, class you play in this game to fight assorted villains, is indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the shitty art and unsubtle political support of transsexuals, the classes’ only consistency is having the exact same bonus to hit, and the goal of which being damage, to make even the least combat-oriented games all about combat..

Perhaps the die was cast when Merals decided to make the game appeal to all of D&D's fractured fanbases; he made sure the game would never be taken seriously as anything but a bland middle ground, just a simple inoffensive game that doesnt nothing new. 5th edition might be anti-complexity (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-progress in its embracing of D&D's most archaic rules, and the discarding of 4e's progress. No one wants to face that fact. Now they no longer have to.

>a-at least it's pretty good, though!
No! The character options are all but non-existent. As I read the core rulebook, I noticed that every class had some mechanic that used advantage. I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that advantage showed up again. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Mearls' mind is so governed by the few ideas he has (like advantage), that he has no other recourse for creating class abilities. Later I read a lavish, loving review of 5th edition by the creator of Dungeon World. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing D&D 5e at 15 or 16 years of age, then when they get older they will go on to play Dungeon World." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play D&D 5e you are, in fact, being trained to play Dungeon World.
>>
>>54802083
Int saving throws should be a bit less rare. I know there are a handful of spells that deal psychic damage but require a wisdom save. I can't remember if the Astral plane or the ethereal plane requires int saves as well for psychic winds.
>>
no one respond to the copy pasta, it's just virt sperging again.
>>
File: Oh fuck.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Oh fuck.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>54802028
Try outnumbering them. Massively.
>>
>>54801865
>What happens in your table if your players botch an attack?
They miss.
>>
File: 172[1].jpg (9KB, 172x251px) Image search: [Google]
172[1].jpg
9KB, 172x251px
>>54801507

Amateur
>>
Are there prestige classes in 5e?
>>
>>54802214
Not really - archetypes are the way to subtly tweak what your class offers,
>>
So I'm playing a necromancers apprentice in a world where necromancy is not inherently evil. My dm has asked me to come up with a list of objectives I'm supposed to accomplish on my quest in order to become a necromancy journeyman. Stuff along the lines of helping a disgruntled spirit pass to the other side and the like. Any suggestions?
>>
>>54802214
There is one, in an Unearthed Arcana. Both 4chan and reddit absolutely hated the idea, so WoTC decided not to implement it further.
>>
>>54802255
autopsies, digging holes, burying bodies, mummification/corpse preservation
>>
>>54802269
Why didn't people like it?
>>
>>54802028
have them run into the bizzaro versions of themselves, and have the enemy caster hold person the druid if he wins initiative

not like they're doing anything wrong, but just for laughs
>>
>>54802322
because prestige classing sucks, and the Rune Scribe could have been an interesting class/archetype.
>>
>>54802255
>>54802283
Attend to the very dying to make sure they're able to communicate last wishes to their kin and lawyers and shit. Ghost Estate Lawyer is a pretty neat idea for a low level necromancer generally. Hell even finding out which religion's death/burial rites the deceased wanted would be good.

Forensics maybe? Goes with the autopsy thing. Maybe postmortem investigation options. Maybe you could go the PoE route and help with afflictions of the soul.
>>
>>54802395
>>54802337
Yuan-Ti used to get the experience modifier but I guess that they just decided to skip detrimental features in 5e
>>
>>54802322
Prestige classes are a silly idea that only made sense in 3.5, where base classes were bland and uninteresting. You could also divide them pretty neatly into gimmicky and overspecialized (like Knight of the Flying Hunt, for example) and overpowered and a clear upgrade over a base class, like Urpriest, Bone Knight or Ruby Knight Vindicator.
Archetypes are much better, and we already have them.
>>
>>54801830
>>54801889
Thanks for the advice. The Warhammer Algor Mortis is based off the process of death where the body starts to become cold. It wouldn't make sense that something already dead to be afflicted by this type of magic.
>>
>>54801522
You don't have leitmotifs for specific people and places?
>>
>>54802022
it is just an automatic miss?
>>
>>54802108
4rry please go back to your containment thread or make one for yourself. Your game failed and ours succeeded; deal with it.
>>
>>54801865
They don't get to hit.

I used to memey 1s, but those are shitty to everyone that isn't the DM, so I quit.
>>
>>54802603
Correct.

In 5e, 1s are autmisses on attack rolls ONLY, and 20s are autohits on attack rolls ONLY.

There are no crits on skill checks, and the only saving throws that allow crits are death saving throws.
>>
>>54801865
IF I were to do anything special on a Nat 1, I'd make them roll to confirm anyway.
>>
>>54802108
Oh look, it's the bait pasta from last thread.
>>
>>54802203
Did you play Telltale Batman? Zsasz appears in it. It's a very cool scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjBITnZad_8
>>
does multiclassing monk with druid work at all? I'm mostly in it for the shapeshifting for a sun wukong style character.
>>
>>54802028
Pretty sure you can only use one superiority die per turn
>>
>>54802764
pretty sure you should read the book before spouting nonsense.
>>
File: yo23lp7hyf0z.png (2MB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
yo23lp7hyf0z.png
2MB, 1024x1280px
Do you ever actually get much of an opportunity to utilize stealth?

I'm trying to decide between Guild Merchant and Criminal for a Cleric I'm making and I don't know whether I value Insight/Persuasion more than Stealth/Deception or not.
>>
>>54802764
Pretty sure it says once per *attack*.So if you have two attacks, two superiority dice. Four attacks, four superiority dice. You just cannot stack them on the same attack.
>>
in a combat encounter how much and when players can talk?
>>
>>54802798
Talk to your DM. Seriously. This is the backbone of these questions.

>>54802807
They can largely talk all they want. Simple ideas are treated as free actions. If they start meta-ing a ton, or if it gets ridiculous, remember rounds are 6 seconds long.
>>
>>54802741
Unarmored Defense works, Unarmed mostly does not due to natural weapons though I'd rule in favor of anything but damage modification. Flurry afaik does work RAW.
>>
>>54802741
We had this one a few threads ago, at least in relation to "can I use my Wisdom to AC while I am a bear?". Eloquent answers and rabid trollery on both sides of the argument, but the real answer is "ask your GM".

In terms of just getting the thing to work effectively in play, remember with all these hybrid characters that you can only contribute in one way at a time. Choose whether you want your primary method for contributing to combat to be punching people or casting spells, and put most of your levels into the class that is good at that. (Also, remember the Shillellellargh Druid cantrip, so hitting people with a magic staff is something both are equally good at but in different ways.)
>>
>>54801426
I never actually played it, but I once had a character concept for a really edgy dragonborn Warlock. One I've ACTUALLY played though would probably be my tiefling paladin of asmodeus. It was so bad, my DM had to ban evil alignments.
>>
>>54802827
Unarmored defense does not work with natural armored creature. Natural weapons do not work with unarmed strikes. They would also not qualify as monk weapons.

Anything to do with this is pure DM-fiat. RAW does not support this. Personally, I think it would be cool if you let the dude shapeshift into an ape and let him use some of the monk features - it would fit the character concept well, and as long as its not trying to be a pure min/max thing I wouldn't care.

But that's DM fiat.
>>
>>54802803
COMBAT SUPERIORITY
When you choose this archetype at 3rd leveI, you
learn maneuvers that are fueled by special dice called
superiority dice.
Maneuvers. Vou learn three maneuvers of your
choice, which are detailed under "Maneuvers" below.
Many maneuvers enhance an atlack in some way. Vou
can use only one maneuver per attack.

In all its janky OCR glory. Technically, it doesn't say you can't use the same maneuver repeatedly on an attack. As ever, ask your GM if you're lucky enough to have one. Also, hug your GM if you're lucky enough to have one. Ignore the smell, they work hard to make you happy.
>>
>>54802885
Right, natural armor = armor. I didn't clarify but most beasts types don't have it anyway. I suppose Elementals don't have natural weapons either, hmm. I'm sure you could go find SOME beast that would fit it perfectly. Monkeys would seem the type (if you can have ever seen them)
>>
>>54802901
>You can use only one maneuver per attack
>But you're trying to twist that to mean you can only use one maneuver as many times as you WANT per attack.

That's ... Actually kind of fucking stupid. If I ever heard someone try to argue that, I would just stare at them deadpan until they realized how stupid that argument is. If you use the same maneuver twice, you're still using two maneuvers on the attack.
>>
>>54802930
I was mistaken, Elementals DO have only melee weapon attacks.
>>
I've been playing in a game where my best friend is the DM but his fiance is a player. Her character keeps flirting with my character and lately I've been fantasizing about getting my dick sucked by my best friends woman. I'm a horrible person, but I want to see if this goes anywhere.
>>
>>54802931
>But you're trying to twist that to mean you can only use one maneuver as many times as you WANT per attack.
Oh, I'm not trying to twist it in that direction. I think the intention is pretty clear, and I also don't think there are many situations where you would want to burn all your dice on one attack. Fighters having versatility and the ability to exploit emerging opportunities is a wonderful thing, and players who want to chuck that in exchange for more raw damage are free to play Champions. I'm just observing the potential for an argument to be made.

I too would not allow players to do that were I to GM.
>>
>>54802930
What is important to remember for a monk/druid multiclass, is as long as the creature is making a normal *ATTACK* and not a *MULTIATTACK*, you can trigger your extra attack off of the animal.

Technically, you should be able to also use your martial arts die in lieu of using the creatures normal attacks and make 'unarmed attacks', but you may lose out on special features that the creature has. On the plus side, you could roll as a super frail but wise monk who shapeshifts in order to make use of the creatures STR/DEX/Health. This is all DM-Fiat, but I would be fine letting a monk use his Unarmored AC calculation *as long as they aren't stacking calculations*. So they can do Natural Armor, or they can make it 10+DEX+WIS. Not (Natural Armor)+DEX+WIS. So you can have a feeble monk, who gets much less feeble when he wild shapes into something. The problem you will have is unless you continue the DM-Fiat train, you're largely not looking at humanoid wildshapes. Most of them are pretty blatantly four legged wild beasts - unless your DM allows you to do something like upgrade your 'Ape' form.

>>54803038
Fuck off.
>>
>>54803038
Cuck your best friend if he TPKs you, he'll understand
>>
File: bait12.png (6KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
bait12.png
6KB, 228x221px
>>54803038
>>
>>54803123
I think the Ape form (super low) is one of the only promising ones because it actually does explicitly have hands to hold a monk weapon. I'm sure you could whip up some kind of Dire Ape but it seems pretty tough to get any benefits RAW.
>>
The fact that all shields are mechanically the same is really fucking lame.
>>
>>54803215
>all ______ are mechanically the same
welcome to 5e
>>
>>54803215
That always bothered me, we need a bunch of balanced homebrew magic shields, I haven't found many good ones.
>>
>>54803215
I just leave it up to flavor.
>>
File: Martial Equipment.pdf (167KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Martial Equipment.pdf
167KB, 1x1px
>>54803226
>>
>>54803226
There ARE magic shields, anon probably wants small/medium/heavy/tower shields and so forth.
>>
>>54803226
>>54803222
Really everything about armor in D&D is terrible, the shields are just a particularly egregious offender. A buckler and a pavise are the same thing mechanically? It's nonsense
>>
>>54803257
Huh, that's neat.

I might have to use some of those.
>>
>>54801426
Death domain dwarf cleric who was a Vecna fanboy. His warhammer had his brothers skull affixed to the backside of it. I convinced my party my healing magic was contingent on developing g a connection with them, and for it to work they would have to sacrifice pieces of themselves. By the end of our three sessions, I had collected an ear, three fingers, a toe, a tooth, and almost convinced one of the players to give me an eye to revive his brother.

Played him with a very heavy and caricatured russian accent. Shit was cash.
>>
Is yuan-ti actually that strong, I talked with my friend and we more or less came to the conclusion that it was about as strong as half elf. What does 5eg think?
>>
>>54802733

Only played the first episode, and did not really like it very much. But that was an interesting scene.
>>
>>54803303
Yuan-ti get a free cantrip (fine) and a free spell on certain targets (fine), darkvision (like fucking everything else), immunity to poison and poison damage (better dwarf feature), 3 languages (common, abyssal, draconic), and ADVANTAGE ON ALL MAGICAL SAVING THROWS.

THAT IS FUCKING BROKEN.
>>
>>54803303
Are you fucking retarded? Even Suggestion once a day pales with their magic resistance to EVERYTHING. Not just illusions, like gnomes, EVERYTHING. Shit is nuts.
>>
>>54803257
I like it, but I feel like tower shields should impose some sort of disadvantage in melee combat while being exceptionally good against missiles. Pavises and scutums were shields for blocking missiles and fighting in formations, not single combat.
>>
>>54803303
They are better at being dwarves than dwarves, and better at being gnomes than gnomes. That shit is fucked.
>>
>>54803257
>>54803298
Some of these are pretty cool, but the buckler and targe always bothered me.
The buckler is silly because it implies you DON'T use other shield to actively defend yourself. You do. That's where the normal +2 comes from. The only difference is that a buckler isn't strapped.
The targe makes no sense. Show me one example of a historic shield that required no grip and I'll withdraw this claim.
>>
>>54801977
Thanks! I think I'll roll one when I'm not dming
>>
File: rangersshrug.gif (428KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
rangersshrug.gif
428KB, 200x183px
>>54802603
A fairly common house rule for skill checks and attack rolls is critical/automatic success on 20 and "critical failure" on 1. This occasionally produces degeneracy. For example, rolling a 1 on a skill check to prepare a meal results in a maimed hand. More "realistically," it might result in a hair in the food, the food being cold in the middle, etc. Likewise, there are some cases where a 20 should not result in automatic success - impossible athletic feats, convincing an npc to do something unreasonable or dangerous, etc.
In any case, this house rule triggers some anons, and they rarely miss an opportunity to post about it.
>>
I'm running a campaign in a setting with animist undertones. Spirits and stuff all over. However, being relatively new to 5e, I'm not sure how to work them into low level encounters (party is 3 level 3 characters). Most low level enemies feel very mundane. Any suggestions on how to make them feel "weird" without constantly throwing level-inappropriate abilities around?
>>
>>54803400
I think it's because the tiny and light buckler is particularly suited for parrying melee blows. If it were up to me I'd give it +2 ac but only against melee attacks. The buckler is fucking useless against missiles, it's so tiny
>>
>>54803428
If a 20 doesn't succeed, why are you rolling in the first place?
>>
>>54803362 I found that they were generally on par with just being all around better like half elf gets to be. Then again I also forgot to mention that I consider half elf the second best race in the game.
>>
>>54803545
That's a good question to those motherfuckers, who keep doing the "I'm rolling to persuade the king that I'm the real king!" motherfuckers.
>>
>>54803376
Gnomes get magic resistance for any mental stat. Not just illusions. Also gnomes are complete garbage.
>>
>>54803545
To prove a point.
>Okay roll for it
>It doesn't matter, you fail. Quit being an idiot.
>>
>>54803545
Maybye he rolled for something that would've otherwise gotten him killed.
>>
>>54802603
Natural 20 on an attack roll always hits, and is a crit. Natural 1 is just a miss. This is for *attack* rolls specifically, not skill checks. Rolling a 1 or a 20 on a non-attack roll has no special effect.

>>54803428
Is correct that it's a fairly common house rule, and the largest problem with it is when its BIG outcomes. You shouldn't have a 5% chance of cutting your hand off, for example. PERSONALLY what I do is if you roll a natural 20 on a skill roll, you just do it with greater flourish, or the result is greater than you expected. E.g.: Natural 20 on athletics check? You move with a surprising amount of grace, able to accomplish the task with an ease that catches on lookers off guard. Hell, I might give a +5 feet movement bonus, but I dislike giving mechanical effect.

Similarly, natural 1's I would treat as being more "Well that didn't go as planned"; if its an attack for example, it may modify the battlefield to some extent. Your arrow punches through a barrel, and now oil is leaking all over the place. Your sword cleaves through a support beam, and a slew of debris showers down on you and your opponent - yadda yadda. Things that aren't "Your character is suddenly inexplicably incompetent on the task that they are doing", but "you have somehow affected the situation and have to deal with the potentially disadvantageous result."

Remember, 20 is essentially "you did exactly what you want to do", not "you suddenly become a demi-god" - similarly 1's should be treated. You're not suddenly useless, something unexpected just happened.
>>
>>54803545
Because a common issue is that players say what they are rolling, not *what they want to do*, and then have the DM tell them what to roll. When you say "I want to try to climb over the wall", he's entirely in his rights (as long as it makes logical sense) to go "You cannot see any handholds/footholds that you would make use of". You don't get to dictate to the GM the situation. (The flipside, of course, is that the GM should be working with the players to enable them.)
>>
>>54803545
I mostly agree with you. but there are times when just because someone is rolling doesn't mean that they can succeed, example: two or more players are rolling arcana, DC 25, one has a +6 to the roll, another +4. Just because the second player elected to roll doesn't mean he can succeed on it.
>>
File: 1433250343796.jpg (26KB, 194x273px) Image search: [Google]
1433250343796.jpg
26KB, 194x273px
>>54803428
Preparing an ordinary, plain meal should not require a roll. Preparing a nice, multi-course meal should not require a roll for a character with the appropriate Tool proficiency.

Creating a meal so wonderful that it prevents the kingdom's food critic from shutting down the restaurant, or making a meal so wonderful that you become the King or Mayor's personal cook, should require a roll of various DC. And even then, failure just results in a plain, uninspiring meal, not some Lucille Ball skit.

The players are exceptionally gifted individuals with exceptional stats, they are not the goddamn Three Stooges.
>>
File: 1495357875758.jpg (9KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1495357875758.jpg
9KB, 184x184px
>>54803428
>food being cold in the middle
>>
>>54803428
Generally when my players ask to do something impossible I have them roll the skill check and if they roll really high something good happens. The guard doesn't believe your impossible tale but he is amused by it for example
>>
>>54803636
Natural 1 is not necessarily a miss anyway
>>
>>54803674
I am totally open to critical fails but like... a confirmirmation roll a simple DEX save or something. You literally WERE that fucking clumsy, you silly bastard.
>>
>>54803674
I personally would have no problem with having players roll to make meal that's part of the narrative, as long as it's treated in the "you did exactly (or more) what you intended / it's not quite as you intended". Less a pass / fail thing, more looking at how well it turned out and how "impressed" someone would be.

And then just treat it from there as would fit the character. Character has a lot of cooking experience or skill? Then even if it's not quite what they intended, it's god damned delicious - a gourmand might notice, but no big deal. Player doesn't have any skill? If it's not quite what they intended, it's a perfectly serviceable meal, but it's not memorable or interesting in any way.

In general: People need to stop throwing rolls at the party that serve to only slow down the game or make them fail at mundane tasks that have no urgency or danger.
>>
File: 1470364110052.png (391KB, 800x733px) Image search: [Google]
1470364110052.png
391KB, 800x733px
>>54803716
I can't tell you how to play your beer and pretzel game sessions, but Critical failures are not a convention of fantasy adventure, they are a convention of gaming grognards with silly senses of humor.
>>
>>54803753
It's not my style but some players seem to enjoy it and it only hurts them so no fairness issues.
>>
File: 1386035469641.jpg (51KB, 259x400px) Image search: [Google]
1386035469641.jpg
51KB, 259x400px
>>54803744
I make people roll skills in circumstances where success would seem particularly difficult and failure would result in something particularly bad or undesirable occuring. I do not make people roll to see if they climbed an apple tree on a relaxing afternoon, neither of us gives a shit if they do it with amazing flourish.
I make people roll to cross a rickety rope and plank bridge over a chasm in a high wind.

Rolling to see if tonights dinner is great is just dithering and time-wasting.
>>
Last thread someone posted the Witch Hunter homebrew, it's an outdated version of this class if that person is still here.
>>
How do you deal with the retards that think natural 20s should make ridiculously impossible events occur? Like I nat 20-d a roll to intimidate a bunch of wood to turn into a boat.
>>
>>54802108
Isn't this the Harry Potter/Stephen King pasta?
>>
>>54803657
Is there a list of rules like this to help players and master immerse themselves in the world?

>Description is better than just a roll
>Interaction is better that a high cha
>>
>>54802741
I'd just let you play a Refluffed Tabaxi monk
>>
>>54803862
Fail them?
>DC 30 Nearly Impossible
>It was a DC 50 check
>>
What combat rules did you add? do you use flanking rules and injuries tables?
>>
>>54803862
tell them to go play anima where that's possible.
>>
>>54803864
yes
>>
>>54802741
>>54803899
I would just give him some kind of racial ability that lets him change his appearance into whatever animal he wants at will while retaining the same game statistics.
>>
>>54803862
enforce the actual rules, as stated in
>>54803657
players don't declare that they roll a skill, the DM always asks for it.
Steps:
>1. The DM describes the environment
>2. The players describe what they would like to do
>3. The DM describes the results, asking for a skill check if they think it is necessary.

That's all you need to fix that problem. It also encourages the players to think as if they were in-world when describing their actions, instead of interacting via a stat sheet.
>>
>>54803674
>or making a meal so wonderful that you become the King or Mayor's personal cook, should require a roll of various DC

WRONG

>It should have you go on a great quest to hunt down the protein
>It should have you navigate a social encounter with the potato Faerie for the starch
>It should have you find justice for the murder of the daughter of the local wine master
>Finally it should culminate in a roll by a master chef whose DC and advantage all comes down to the failures and successes of the Damnable quest

Y'all are not playing the game right if you're doing Yahtzee and not Gordon Ramsey's magical adventure
>>
>>54803817
Good on you for that.

(And that's also why I specified "when making a meal that's part of the narrative"; a dish to impress someone is different than 'you made a dish for the party'. If you're making food for the party, it's hand waived away. Something like that doesn't affect the narrative in any meaningful way. And even if it affects narrative, it's just a single quick roll to see outcome. Then move on. You don't want to get bogged down in that shit.)

>>54803888
Not that I'm aware, and it can always get bogged down in nuances. Like, for example: If someone who is not very intelligent plays a high INT character, or someone who isn't very suave plays a high CHA character, they should absolutely be able to lean on the characters ability to be persuasive over their own. Similarly if you're brilliant / charismatic, you don't get to dump those stats and then rely on your own player knowledge to make up for it. So you do need to have some leeway - I would generally encourage that people should be able to make broad stroke arguments, for example, and not just "I roll to persuade" ... At least give the persuasion some meat to it, or a broad strokes of what you want to accomplish.

For how to immerse? I would generally recommend:
>Don't let things become white box. There's always the environment, and let the environment play into the situation. If players are adverse to using the environment / don't think about it, have clever enemies use it *against them*.
>There's consequences to their actions. They see the results of their interaction on the world - maybe you impressed that dude with your well crafted speech, but now his enemy is either trying to court you to his side (and use you against him), or he's angry with you. Or whatever.

You know, as much as I don't know what /5eg/ thinks of TheAngryGM, he wrote an article about engaging NPC's I liked (http://theangrygm.com/what-even-is-an-npc/ and the "Here Comes Tagalong" one), and it might be worth checking)
>>
>>54803916
Its important to note that you should be aware of your party composition when adding rules. Things like Flanking, for example, kind of end up invalidating Wolf Totem Barbarians.

>>54804099
Seconding this. If its in the narrative enough to actually require a roll, make it something that was built up in the narrative. I give leeway for *little* things (like the aforementioned "Was it impressive or not), but that requires it to have some very small narrative impact (like how willing an NPC might be to work with you, or first impression). It's a small thing that can be done with a quick roll; but anything large and sweeping should require an undertaking.
>>
>>54803833
That was me! I was looking for a Witcher type build. You think this is closer to that?
>>
File: 1487617852893.jpg (663KB, 3198x2766px) Image search: [Google]
1487617852893.jpg
663KB, 3198x2766px
>>54803636
So that means when I rolled a 1 on my grapple check but still got an 8 total, my DM fucked me when he said "wow anon, the other guy only rolled a 3 total, I thought you had it" and told me I auto-failed
>>
>>54804099
>Gordon Ramsey's magical adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUtub9NG4E
>>
>>54804410
yep.
>>
File: dwarf lord.jpg (94KB, 736x702px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf lord.jpg
94KB, 736x702px
Relatively new DM here. I personally think Dwarves are a bit underwhelming compared to some of the other races in the PHB, such as Gnomes, Halflings, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Variant Humans, etc.

A lot of their traits seem fairly useless, extremely niche, or redundant based on class choice, and I want to make them a little more competitive.

I'm not allowing any monstrous adventurers in the game I'm running, keeping it strictly to races in the PHB and a few select ones from Volo's. (Specifically just Aasimar, Firbolg, and Goliath.)

That being said, I've decided to give two of the Yuan-ti Pureblood's traits to Dwarves. Those being:

>Poison Immunity. You are immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition.
>Masic Resistance. You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54804450
Maybe if you'd read up in the thread you could look at all the reasons why that's shit on yuan-ti, too. Hell, just refluff Yuan-ti and call it a dwarf if thats what you want.
>>
>>54804475

I did read the thread, which is why I brought it up.

>just refluff Yuan-ti

Absolutely not. A dwarf fighter or barbarian hardly gets any usage from his race traits, so I want them to be able to get a little more mileage.
>>
>>54804256
I only use the three front squares as threatened spaces

Also one question if a character is at 0 hp and stabilized it wakes up 1d4 hours later, but if it gets magic healing he wakes up?
>>
>>54804495
Why would you choose magic resistance, of all things? That's considered to be fairly overpowered.
>>
>>54804521

Because it's a common trope in fantasy that dwarves are resistant to magic.
>>
>>54804369
You can try the Blood Hunter if your DM will allow it. If homebrew is not an option though here are some example class combos I like to get a Witcher feel.
>Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
>Fighter (Eldritch Knight)/UA Ranger (Hunter Conclave)
>Warlock (Archfey)/Paladin (Vengence)
>Fighter (Eldritch Knight)/UA Ranger (Monster Slayer)
If Blood Hunter is allowed
>Blood Hunter (Profane Soul)/ UA Ranger (Hunter)

I have not had a chance to test all of these yet, but the Eldritch Knight + Hunter feels pretty good.
Don't go longsword, pick up either a Greatsword or Rapier.
>>
>>54803833
Guy who reviewed it from last thread.

Robust physiology is still too powerful, but the rest is much better if you ask me.

Could still be nerfed a little bit but is far less broken.
>>
Is the Tomb of Horrors in TFtYP as hard as the original.
>>
>>54804410
Yep. 1 doesn't mean shit in 5e, but you might be using critical fail house rules. Which I generally find are dumb as hell, because it's a 5% chance every single god damned roll - and when you start getting bonuses, your "1" can be a hell of a lot higher than that.

>>54804495
Wow, sure, they don't get anything from their race traits - they just get the best god damned stats for their class possible. That's so fucking terrible, anon. And poison resistance and saving throw advantage? So fucking terrible - I mean, its not like any creatures use that.

Seriously, Dwarves are one of the top god damned class picks for Fighters and Barbarians. You don't need to double down on that.

>>54804509
Once they get health points, they bounce right back into the game. Stabilizing and waking up 1d4 hours later represents slowly mending naturally. If you restore health to the character via any means, they are fully functional again.
>>
>>54804521

Duergar already get:

Duergar Resilience: The duergar has advantage on saving throws against poison, Spells, and illusions, as well as to resist being Charmed or Paralyzed.
>>
>>54804509
Magic healing is instantly awake yes
>>
>>54804581
And they have sunlight sensitivity. And aren't going to be something a lot of DM's are going to allow on the table. And Advantage to Saving Throws in regards to specific things is a lot different than being Immune to Poison, and have Advantage to ALL Saving Throws.
>>
>>54801781
If you're still here are there any other stuff like this for D&D?

That's really cool how they connected games like that.
>>
>>54804576
>Wow, sure, they don't get anything from their race traits - they just get the best god damned stats for their class possible.

Doesn't make a difference, since the stat gap is closed extremely quickly.

>And poison resistance and saving throw advantage? So fucking terrible - I mean, its not like any creatures use that.

Nobody said that was terrible, but it's not on par with the toys that halflings, gnomes, half-elves, half-orcs, etc. get.
>>
>>54804528
I doubt it'll change your mind, but a straight up "Advantage one everything magical" is pretty ridiculous. Do humans get advantage on all ability checks, all the time, because they're supposed to be "adaptable"? Do fighters get advantage against on all dex/str/con saving throws because they're physical paragons?
You'd be better off giving the subraces different types of magic they have advantage against.

>>54804581
Duergar are balanced out by not being able to use most of their abilities in sunlight, and typically being known by everyone as evil dwarves. It's not a blanket effect of "advantage on all saves against magic"
>>
File: Tova-by-Kit-Buss.jpg (247KB, 1200x1183px) Image search: [Google]
Tova-by-Kit-Buss.jpg
247KB, 1200x1183px
>>54804553
Resistance would probably be a better call than immunity. Some people don't like the Crimson Rite feature. Loss of HP for 1dx extra damage on the weapon. I think while they do a little more damage than the other martial classes they sacrifice hp for it also if they are disarmed they lose the buff and the HP so it kind of balances out.

But I have yet to have a player pick this option, anyone use (>>54803833) this class? Any horror stories or praises to sing? The only time I have seen this class in use was on Critical Role and it was not used for very long so I could not really see how it performed over a long period of time.
>>
>>54804799
>Resistance would probably be a better call than immunity.
My thoughts exactly.
>>
>>54803668
>Just because the second player elected to roll doesn't mean he can succeed on it.
The player should never be "electing" to roll for anything. The player should be describing what his character is DOING, and the DM should then have the player make a check if necessary.
>>
>>54804674
That's exactly what gnomes get and nobody's calling them overpowered.
>>
>>54804891
knowledge skills tend to be Do I know it yes/no? there is no "doing" to be done.
>>
>>54804937
First off, playing a gnome is a sign that you have no shame. Second, Gnomes get +2 Int, are small and thus use heavy weapons with disadvantage, get darkvision, and can create tiny clockwork machines.
Then there's this:
>Gnome Cunning: You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.
>Int, Wis, and Cha
No, it is not exactly what gnomes get.
>>
>>54804633
The stat gap, assuming you chose something like human where you can reliably have a +1 in both those stats, is a single ASI, yes - but that means (if you're min-maxing your stats), that you're bringing your stats up to an odd number, while the Dwarf goes onto the next tier. That also means more feats, more stats available, (and in the case of MAD classes, that can make a huge difference). Hell, even for Barbarian where if a Dwarf Starts with 17/17 STR/CON, and a human starts with 16/16 STR/CON, it's going to take 3 ASI for a Dwarf to get to 20 in both, while a Human needs 4. So a Dwarf gets there at level 12, and a Human gets there at level 16. That leaves Dwarf with two feats to grab, and Human with one.

This isn't counting Variant Human, because it and Half Elf are openly known to be the most powerful in the system.

Gnomes get Advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws. Not Advantage versus EVERYTHING. You took Gnome ability and flat out made it stronger - which is exactly the issue people had with Yuan-ti; that it took Dwarf/Gnome traits and gave them *better* ones.

I know this flat out has to be bait because it's god damned daft. When people are talking about how broken Yuan-ti are, your response to that shouldn't be "Lets make Dwarves Yuan-ti".

You said you're new. Everyone is telling you this is a daft idea. Stop doubling down on it, and listen to people.
>>
>>54804891
>>54804954
I'd say the player should ask if they know something.

The DM decides yes or no. If no, nothing. If yes, they get to roll against a DC that the DM sets, then the DM tells them what they can recall based on the roll.

That's how I do it anyhow.
>>
File: 1502299146088.png (327KB, 464x502px) Image search: [Google]
1502299146088.png
327KB, 464x502px
>>54804954
If one of my players has proficiency in a field of Knowledge, I readily give them a general idea of what's up, and if they have Expertise or a particularly high score in it, additional less commonly known information.

I reserve rolling and DC for knowledge that would give direct clues to defeating a foe or circumventing defenses or attaining a rare item.
>>
>>54801426
>What's the most cringeworthy character you've ever actually played as? Not your friend or D&D acquaintance - YOU?
Probably my first two.

1) Dwarf Barbarian that was in a wheelchair. He ended up being too effective since the DM didn't want to penalize my character for being in a wheelchair, so the wheelchair just had a bunch of stupid shit---parachute when I was falling from great heights, flotation devices if I were in water.

The character was liked, but the fact that I wanted to be more of a hindrance on the party makes him cringeworthy.

2) Tiefling Bard. Nothing particularly bad about the character, but I was playing with a group of people I never played with before, and I was trying too hard to be charismatic and funny.
>>
>>54804954
Knowledge should always use passive scores. The DM should note down those scores and automatically tell the players what their characters know when appropriate, just like when they spot something with their passive perception.
>>
>>54804937
Yea, because they have much greater problem. Namely, being gnome.

>>54804891
Could you point out where in book it is?
At the p. 6, in section "How to play" dice are mentioned only at "DM decides what happens, often relying on the roll of a die to determine the results of an action." I don't see specification about who should call for the roll.
>>
>>54805037
Good on you. We're having a bit of an issue in my current campaign where the 'knowledge characters' continually roll like shit, and the murderhobo from the forest with no backstory rolls great. It tends to mean that they feel it was pointless having specialized into that, because their turn to shine gets constantly circumvented.

DM doesn't really want to interject, because if we all throw dice at it, we can pass the DC, which means he gets to exposition dump about the world. Limiting that means "limiting telling the story about the world". It bugs me. A lot.

Plus its just unnecessary rolls that bog down the game.

>>54805089
I don't really give a shit, personally, if its in the book or not. It allows for better flow and less bogging down the game - especially since the GM is going to be the one who is deciding whether or not a task is possible, what route is required to do it, and what the DC is. It works way better if you tell the DM what your character wants to do, and he can work with you to make that happen - versus you throwing out random rolls that you think MAY work for this, but don't work at all, and interrupting pacing/slowing down game.
>>
All this talk about gnomes has me thinking.

DMs, are there any classes, races, or subclasses that you ban or discourage?

I don't care for gnomes, firbolgs, or monks, personally speaking, and ban all non-dragonborn furry/scaly races on principle. I'm not autistically determined with any of it, just a preference.

Wondering what others do.
>>
File: 1392616403754.jpg (159KB, 400x387px) Image search: [Google]
1392616403754.jpg
159KB, 400x387px
>>54805152
I usually restrict races based on the setting.
My current Lankhmar campaign uses all humans, with slight variations.

I also don't allow multiclassing because I am a Monster who hates players.
>>
>>54805120
>I don't really give a shit, personally, if its in the book or not.
Oh, right, i though you were discussing rules, not local customs and their applications.

Anyway, i should probably try to do it your way next session. I feel our group need more descriptions.
>>
>>54805089
PHB pg. 174
>The DM calls for an ability check when a character or monster attempts an action (other than an attack) that has a chance of failure. When the outcome is uncertain, the dice determine the results.
>>
>>54805152
I only ban furries, don't really see a reason to ban anything else. Furries just creep everyone out and detract from the game. Why no scalies? One of my players rolled some Dragon Chimera homebrew shit which is pretty much a scaly Goliath. NPCs just treat him like a buff dragonborn. No problems.
>>
>>54804633
To double down on this: Mountain Dwarf is the only race in the game that gives two +2 stats. The only one. I would argue the balance on this is that its subrace benefits are something that you LIKELY have inherent already; the ability to use medium and heavy armor. Poison advantage/resistance is damned useful.

Check any Fighter/Barbarian guide, and Mountain Dwarves are a top rated race. You don't need to double down on it and boost them further. If you're comparing to, say, Variant Human, you'll have an issue just because the free feat is way too damned powerful. You can balance that by just giving people a free feat regardless of race - the general recommendation is to not let them choose any of the 'Master' (or Sharpshooter) feats; or to potentially just allow them to choose a race feat from UA (with certain exceptions, because some of them are just downright stupid powerful).

>>54805206
I said *personally*, I don't care if its in the book or not - it's simply a directly better way to do it. I do not know if it's in the book or not, and left that up to another anon.

>>54805152
Why the fuck do you arbitrarily ban them?
>>
>>54803215

It's part of what I love about 5e. By giving all shields the same stats, all shields are viable. If you think your character would prefer a vambrace/manica with full mitt, use that. Or a buckler. Or a tower. Or a fencing dagger. Or a judicial shield. Binary mechanics lead to greater opportunity, not less.
>>
>>54805193
>I also don't allow multiclassing
Why? My current DM allows multiclassin on case by case basis, because of how usless character i made last time.

>>54805152
Depends, but for my next game, i will probably ban Yuan-ti and then allow everyone to to take any racial stat-block and refluff them human/dwarf/elf and nothing more.
>>
Hey guys so in my last game we found a chest in a dungeon after we took everything out I decided to investigate it and because I got a nat 20 in my roll my DM decided that something else good must appear there. So he allowed me to pick any non-legendary magical item from the DMG. I went for a scimitar of speed because I am a rouge but I was thinking that I might dun guffed because a rapier +3 might have been better.

Thoughts? Should I tell my DM to change the scimitar for the Rapier +3? I am a lvl 4 tiefling arcane trickster btw
>>
>>54803795

And if they stayed in their containment games, it would be fine. But they have a distinct tendency to leak.
>>
>>54805152
I ban V. Human and discourage races with sunlight sensitivity
>>
>>54805286
>rapier +3
At lever 3 that is fucking insane powerful.

That's some level 15+ loot right there.
>>
>>54805286
>Level 4
>Very rare magic item
What the fuck
>>
File: 1488415453133.jpg (113KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1488415453133.jpg
113KB, 666x666px
>>54805278
>Why? My current DM allows multiclassin on case by case basis, because of how usless character i made last time.

1. I don't put restrictions on character creation or advancement that are based on my arbitrary fondness for your application of them.

2. The only moving argument I've ever heard for multiclassing involved non rogues wanting expertise in a particular skill/tool/instrument ect.
So I have +1 stat/Expertise feats (before UA did) to have that. There's no other argument for multiclassing that budges me.

3. As I said, I am a player hating Monster.
>>
>>54805323
>Banning V. Human
So banning the only human worth playing?
>>
>>54805323
Oooh, that'd make a lot of people very mad.

But I can see why.
>>
>>54805356
I group aren't a bunch on munchkins, so half the group still plays humans

No one plays Volo's races...
>>
File: 1458699601353.jpg (186KB, 534x1236px) Image search: [Google]
1458699601353.jpg
186KB, 534x1236px
>>54805286
Your DM is a god damn idiot.
And so are you. Why the hell does nobody knows how to spell rogue? It's ROGUE. Rouge is a COLOUR. FUCK.
>>
>>54805375
People don't use regular humans as much not because they are munchkins, but because the regular human race is one of the worst races in the game.

Learn the difference.
>>
>>54805286
>Inb4 Nat 20's don't mean god damned shit on anything but attack rolls.
You should have uncommon magic items, at max. Your DM is free to decide whatever level of magic or what not is in the game, but you're going to be WAY ahead of the expected curve, and break bonded accuracy at this rate.

>>54805323
I wish people actually accepted those downsides. Not DM Wise, but player wise. In my campaign we have someone with Sunlight Sensitivity, and a homebrew Djinnborn race (I think its from Kobold Press) that goes progressively more insane from spending time away from the desert ... Which joined us after having spent a ton of time out in the middle of the ocean working as a body guard. Both races have powerful abilities and are intended to be balanced (whether or not they are is another question) against the fact that they have downsides that have to be dealt with. But, nope, that's literally never come up.
>>
>>54805152
I require all multiclassing to have someone teach you how to function as that class

Whether that be a PC or NPC, want to multiclass wizard? Go find a wizard willing to teach you the basics but it'll take some time. Same goes for any class
>>
>>54805375
One of the best decisions I made was not outright allowing everything when my group started two years ago, so I never had to "ban"anything, because it was not allowed in the first place
>>
>>54805375
Why not ban Dwarves, then? Pound for pound one of the very best races in the game.
>>
File: NSiToS.jpg (62KB, 604x448px) Image search: [Google]
NSiToS.jpg
62KB, 604x448px
>>54805420
>>
>>54805083

My favorite way to do it, as well.
>>
>>54805420
That's literally what banning is.
>>
>>54805324
>>54805336
>>54805389
>>54805409
Why can't you nigs reply the question? Is a rapier+3 better for a rouge than a scimitar of speed, yes or no.
>>
>>54805427
It's true, when my friends and I started playing 5e (the first RPG half the group has ever played), I recommended them to stick to the core rules, and banned V. Human.

I think two of my players don't even know feats exist, because they never read the PHP lol
>>
>>54805460
I don't see how either of these will be useful on a color
>>
File: 1498606331084.png (521KB, 720x528px) Image search: [Google]
1498606331084.png
521KB, 720x528px
>>54805460
>>
>>54805465
Wow, great DM
>>
>>54805451
>That's literally what banning is.
It might be, but it feels different, I didn't take their things away, I LET them have more things.
>>
>>54805460
Because it's fucking daft and people are staying away from it.

Try again when you can spell 'rogue'.

>>54805465
>"I never had to ban anything!"
>"I banned variant human."

Also, wow, your group is dumb.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51KB, 685x567px) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51KB, 685x567px
>>54805489
>>
>>54805491
>your group is dumb.
And I love playing with them
>>
>all these people banning v.human
That scared of feats, huh?
>>
>>54805489
What exactly did you "let them have" more of?
>>
>>54805438
It is a bit boring though, because it guarantees the characters won't know the occasional obscure tidbit of knowledge. I have them roll knowledge checks, it's just that I don't require them when it comes to really obvious stuff.
>>
>>54803704
>Natural 1 is not necessarily a miss anyway
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54805460

That's like asking "which is the better shoe for jumping to the moon, Jordans or Chuck Taylors?"

Whatever tard shit you think you're doing, the rest of us want no part of it. Enjoy your jumping, asshole.
>>
>>54804369

If Blood Hunter isn't allowed, Paladin Oath of Vengeance with a couple of Warlock levels, especially undying or Fiend will do the trick.

Just two or three Warlock levels, no more. Invocations, Eldritch Blast, Green Flame Blade, and if you simply must, *must*have a blade Pact for teleporting weapon and level 2 spell slots at level 20, but that's it.

Some people say the ranger is necessary for tracking but honestly, the spell list simply does not fit.
>>
>>54805500

That does not reflect well on you.
>>
>>54805505
Leave him be. He thinks he's a master manipulator because he's playing with a bunch of dumbfucks who barely read the books.
>>
>>54805541
>That does not reflect well on you.
What?
>>
>>54805503
Side mental jump here, but since most people have issues with the "-master" (and sharpshooter) feats, and have recommended restricting them to level, what do people think about restricting them to *tier*?

That is to say, feats having a specific attachment to them going "This feat is a X Tier feat"; so if someone is playing a tier below that, they can allow access to them if they want a more superhuman level of play - but otherwise they only are gained access to when the PC's become increasingly superhuman?

Though I feel like such things would necessarily require a greater amount of feats available for each tier, or more frequent acquisition of them.

>>54805516
He means that 1's don't have a special rider effect like 20's do. If you roll a 1 but you have enough modifiers to hit the enemy, you still hit the enemy. 20's have the rider effect of 'auto-hit' and 'critical attack'.
>>
>>54805220
Thank you.

>>54805286
I believe, this is bait, considering how exactly this was discussed in this thread before, and judged as bad practice.

>>54805375
I don't play humans at all mostly because i don't want to be only member of party without darkvision. I really like humans otherwise.

>>54805564
I think he suggest you are stupid.
>>
File: Keen Shortsword.png (12KB, 451x355px) Image search: [Google]
Keen Shortsword.png
12KB, 451x355px
>>54805152
>DMs, are there any classes, races, or subclasses that you ban or discourage?

I discourage the PHB Ranger and encourage the Revised Ranger on the basis that I want my players to feel like their class choice mattered instead of being left by the wayside in comparison to their peers.

I'm also pretty open to homebrew options if it's not something that can't be achieved within the game as is or with UA content.

>>54805286
I want to be as honest as possible with you, ask your DM to change your +3 Rapier/Scimitar of Speed to a +1 Rapier/+1 Scimitar. This is just for balance unless your DM wants you to break the balance of the game for a long time.

Take it from a DM who had shifted from Pathfinder to 5e and had to bring a ton of stuff over that quickly unbalanced things. One of my players had a +1 Keen Silvered Shortsword as a gift from a Lord, back in Pathfinder that was about a level 6 item but in this game, it's very rare.
>>
>>54805575
>I think he suggest you are stupid.
Well, people have different preferences and enjoy different things, I might the kind of DM he enjoys, but my group and I certainly have fun
>>
>>54805572
There are like 3 Feats that are the only real big deals that people ban V.Human for. Honestly, they're not even that big of a deal
>>
File: Screenshot_20170810-141031.jpg (174KB, 1193x499px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170810-141031.jpg
174KB, 1193x499px
>>54805572
What
>>
>>54805622
Yeah, that guy is full of shit.
>>
>>54805622
My mistake then. For some reason, I thought there wasn't a rider effect.
>>
>>54805152

I don't really have a lot of hard bans. My players rarely choose the more exotic options, and while I won't allow something if I feel it doesn't fit the game, I always hear them out, and I trust them not to make things weird if I do allow it.
>>
>>54805622
readniggaread.jpg
>>
>>54801522
My GM has put together a few playlists.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sajtkukacxdlol/playlists?shelf_id=0&view=1&sort=dd
>>
File: read_the_phb_0.jpg (65KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
read_the_phb_0.jpg
65KB, 600x686px
>>54805653
>>
File: FunnyBlackManMeme.png (72KB, 711x798px) Image search: [Google]
FunnyBlackManMeme.png
72KB, 711x798px
>>54805653
>>
>>54805703
thx b0ss
>>
>>54801507
holy fuck i love this
will be a minor antagonist if I will amn up to gm anything
>>
>>54805152
Core only + swashbuckler rogue and arcana and death domain clerics. No evil alignments. No gnomes, drow, druids, warlocks, necromancy wizards, or wild magic sorcerers. Cleric's domain spells are keyed to their specific deities. Considering also removing rangers and maybe wot4e monks. I also made a few other changes like removing non-biological racial traits and combining them with the background system. All of this is for setting reasons and my own verisimilitude.
>>
>>54801522
I have a playlist of songs from various vidya and movies
>>
>>54805736
Yeah I ban chaotic and neutral evil as well
>>
>>54805736
Cringe
>>
For the pact of the blade warlock, an easy solution would be to give them the option of choosing fighting styles, adding to the current wording.
>>
>>54805736
Damn, and I thought just asking people not be gnomes, monks, or furries was bad.
>>
>>54805152
I base it on who I'm playing with.

People I don't know yet? Core classes and races until I get a read on what sort of player you are.

All alignments need to be within 1 step of each other (Good-Neutral or Neutral-Evil) because I don't trust people to actually roleplay shit out in a meaningful way.

Once the group has proven themselves I'll trust people to not be faggots. Some players I'll personally ban from stuff though. For example, one guy in my group isn't allowed to play women.
>>
>>54802028
This is when you read the spell description for Hold Person and realize it only works on humanoids, and the moment you throw a giant, an elemental, an illithid, or just about anything else that isn't "short/tall human but ___ color" at them, they're fucked.

Until Hold Monster pops up. Then you just use creatures with decent Wis saves.
>>
>>54802255
>>54802283
>>54802424
craft your first soul gem, assist in making a Dracolich, create a homunculus, successfully train an undead in a simple task
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if the next edition of D&D had core rules that didn't even support levels 10 and beyond.
>>
File: Goliath.png (507KB, 577x816px) Image search: [Google]
Goliath.png
507KB, 577x816px
Let's see what races DMs allow, or what players claim they'll allow if they ever actually DM'd.
http://www.strawpoll.me/13677018
>>
>>54805955
so basically Advanced
>>
>>54805955
Wouldn't be a terrible thing. Maybe they'd actually load the abilities into the levels that people play the game.
>hey fighter, you get more attacks than anyone
>theoretically, anyway
>>
>>54805956

can't wait for the endless slew of people allowing volos/monstrous races but not dragonborn or tieflings
>>
>>54805956
I allow basically everything except the monster races from Volo. If a player has a good enough backstory and reason for them to be with the other heroes then i'll usually allow it if they're convincing enough.
>>
>>54806019
At least for now dragonborn and tieflings rank above every single non-PHB race.

>>54806027
I allow everything... as long as it exists in my setting.
>>
>>54806019
Lizardmen, Orcs, and Hobgoblins are way less weird than Dragonborn and Tieflings.

>so what's your deal
>i'm a lizardman, like every other lizardman
>OH SHIT
>no it's cool, i'm a nice lizard
>yeah he's cool
>oh okay

>so what's your deal
>i'm a red half-orc
>OH SHIT
>no it's cool, i'm a nice orc
>yeah he's cool
>oh okay

>so what's your deal
>i'm the scion of a cursed line, imbued with fiendish power as a result of my ancestors' dalliances and/or bloodpacts with entities hellbent on this world's destruction and the eternal torment and corruption of your mortal soul
>OH SHIT
>no it's cool, i'm a nice quarter-demon
>yeah he's cool
>GUARDS, PRIEST, HELP
>>
>so what's your deal
>i'm a dude with horns.
>>
>>54806064
Lizardmen > Dragonborn > Tieflings > Hobgoblins > Orcs

Also orcs are not half-orcs
>>
>>54806114
more like

>what's your deal
>my mom fucked an orc
>ok

>what's your deal
>my great great great great great grandma fucked a fiend
>not ok
>>
>>54806134
>My mom fucked an orc
>not ok
>>
>>54806134
I like the "invasive gene" theme: my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather had some ties to orcs is what I think, but the end result is that we're all half-orcs.
>>
>>54801522
Don't bother, they just won't engage with your setting at all and bumrush whatever objective they're given.
yes I'm a salty dm
>>
>>54806064
>i'm the scion of a cursed line, imbued with fiendish power as a result of my ancestors' dalliances and/or bloodpacts with entities hellbent on this world's destruction and the eternal torment and corruption of your mortal soul
gotta get that video games audience tho
>>
>>54806249
>video games invented tieflings
>>
>>54806176
My setting operates like this, except it's more of an affliction/condition than a gene, and any offspring of an orc is also an orc.
>>
reminder that the upcoming book being full of more subclasses instead of the proper mystic/artificer is a mistake
>>
>>54801522
I have a player in charge of that.
I also have a player in charge of map making and another one in charge of note taking. Every one does something during other people's turn
>>
>>54806064
there's literally no logic to argue that tieflings aren't okay if half orcs are
>>
File: shiggy diggy oni.jpg (52KB, 278x319px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy diggy oni.jpg
52KB, 278x319px
>>54806283
>not properly playtesting two full classes before adding them to the game is a mistake
Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>54806283
mystic and artificer are the mistake
>>
>>54806270
No, but they basically invented the meme where literally every teenager is a shithead who wants to play as a badass half angel/half demon with heterochromia and psychic powers and who goes to hogwarts and gets to marry edward cullen, which is the demographic tieflings and dragonborn are aimed at.
>>
>>54806283
Reminder that I had sex with your mom, and also that the game needs more solid archetypes more than it needs snowflake classes like the artificer and clusterfucks like what the mystic is right now.
>>
>>54806320

why complain about dragonborn when aasimar are right fucking there
>>
>>54806226
We're not all online GMs
>>
>>54806306
I'm sure all of those subclasses will be playtested great and add meaningful new options for people to make new concepts using old characters, and totally wont be either totally useless or extremely overpowered like literally every other subclass that''s been published all this time

>>54806314
new classes for niches/concepts that aren't properly covered by the current ones (weird inner power anime shit and tech/item focus) vs dumb shit like "a monk, but you can use more weapons" or "sorcerer, but with divine spells"
>>
>>54806328
>People misusing the phrase snowflake
Every time
>>
>>54806320
That sounds more like fan fiction.

>>54806363
Only like 4 subclasses have actually been "published," you know.
>>
>>54806363

>psychic powers are totally different from magic i need an entire class and set of subclasses i can't just refluff a wizard!!!!!!
>>
>>54806363
let's face it, the artificer is always going to be janky because 5e's philosophy of keeping magic items scarce doesn't suit having a class which revolves around creating and using magic items (which is a difficult concept to implement at the best of times). meanwhile, the psion had its inner power shtick stolen by the sorcerer back in 3e. admittedly, it would have been smarter to remove the sorcerer from core and implement the psion in its place from the start, but that ship has sailed.
>>
I'm tired of the usual bandits/hobgoblins/orcs etc

What are some interesting enemies to throw at a group of 4 level 3's

>Tiefling lore bard
>Wood elf life cleric
>Mountain dwarf GWF battlemaster fighter
>Half elf wild magic sorcerer
>>
>>54806283
Yep as those classes still need a lot more work.

Here's hoping the Hexblade, Knight, Stone Sorceror, Shadow Sorcerer, and Lore Wizard will make the cut,
>>
File: racepoll.png (49KB, 936x820px) Image search: [Google]
racepoll.png
49KB, 936x820px
>>54805956
Who are all these people running Dwarf-only campaigns?
also
>lizardmen popularity
It's like I'm really playing Hollow World
>>
>>54806431
A small army of wolf spiders and their stunning venom can fuck up your PCs' whole day.
>>
Bring back Swordmage wotc
>>
>>54806381
sword coast has 12 and the DMG has what, 3? not to mention the "revised" subclasses. how many of these are actually any good compared to the core stuff and aren't either pointless or way too strong?

>>54806390
the mystic is more like the warlock than anything. I'd rather a class that has an actual unique mechanic to it instead of "sorcerer but with more spells than usual" or other same but different shit like favored soul

>>54806423
You probably aren't wrong but I fail to see how a bunch of subclasses for old shit is any better if you want to avoid putting out something janky/overshadowed that you probably shouldn't take.
>>
>>54806390
>not making Paladin and/or Ranger a Fighter archetype
>not making Sorcerer and/or Bard a Wizard archetype
>not making Druid a Cleric archetype
>>
>>54806303
Orcs can exist in polite society. It's rare, but it happens. They may also have the curse of an evil god running through their veins, but it's far less potent than DEMON MAGIC, on top of being less known by the common populace. Half-orcs are in no way as fucked up as tieflings; their 50% curseblood gives them angrypower, while a tiefling's 1/32nd blood gives them SET A NIGGA ON FIRE power.
>>
>>54806423
>janky because 5e's philosophy of keeping magic items scarce doesn't suit having a class which revolves around creating and using magic items
The way they've done it is personally fine, though.
Magic items can be compared to being class features, and listing magic items as class features works. They just need to get rid of the attunement bullshit and leave that up to the DM, instead giving all artificer items 'no attunement required for the artificer'. Also give the artificer the chance to re-make lost stuff.

Artificer's problems are the following:
>Attunement related issues
>Big damage boost at 6 but minor damage boost at 5
>More importantly, reliance on a mechanical pet to keep up in damage
>Limited spells to use their infuse ability with
>Choice taxes on alchemist (Mostly healing draught, but thunderstone offers at-will support)
>Gunsmith being literally a worse AT but with a mechanical pet, lack of extra options such as being able to attach a grapple hook into the gun or spraying flour or something everywhere with it. More gun options.
>Have to hand-wave a lot of money issues (The alchemist is spamming acid on this dungeon roof all day? Healing the entire town with healing draught?) though this is kinda for the best and can't really be fixed else by the 'don't let the party spam cantrips' common sense.
>Could use a more 'engineer' archetype rather than just 'uses guns' archetype.

But overall artificer is a great idea, I think.
>>
>>54806431
kobolds
>>
>>54806475
Never happening. You can't play a character who uses Int to hit with a sword because 4e haters said it was wrong. Apparently this doesn't apply to the Hexblade or anyone with the Shalalalalaghie cantrip.

You can have the Booming Blade, Sword Burst and Greenflame Blade as cantrips accessible by other classes of course, but that's completely different to 4e At-Will Powers. And if I hear you talking about Marking then I'll have you arrested by the fun police.
>>
>>54806558
>Orcs can exist in polite society
Nah nigga
>>
>>54806475
hexblade?
stone sorcerer?
how many other options do i have to name?
>>
>>54806517
Sorcerors and Bards are not even close to Wizards. Druid and Cleric I can see
>>
>>54806431
Doppelganger (either a NPC or impersonating a player that is in on it), Werewolves/wererats, Gelatinous Cube, Cockatrice, Basilisk, Spectator, Animated Armors + Flying Swords or Rug of Smothering combo.
>>
>>54805956
>Lizardfolk is allowed more often than gnome
Keeping them as a PHB race was a mistake.
>>
File: Orc.jpg (108KB, 400x516px) Image search: [Google]
Orc.jpg
108KB, 400x516px
>>54806591
Eberron wants a word. He says you're a dick.
>>
>>54806465
3 guys are RPing The Hobbit with Bilbo being an NPC, probably.
>>
File: 1497153781761.png (30KB, 256x264px) Image search: [Google]
1497153781761.png
30KB, 256x264px
>>54806431
Spectators. Those eyebeams can really fuck your day up. plus they a cute
>>
File: 1481252588048.jpg (153KB, 667x840px) Image search: [Google]
1481252588048.jpg
153KB, 667x840px
>>54806591

They can make it in Waterdeep at least.
>>
>>54806617
what is the point of gnomes?
no one likes them
>>
File: eberron 1.jpg (1MB, 2220x1768px) Image search: [Google]
eberron 1.jpg
1MB, 2220x1768px
>>54806628
Another reason Eberron is the best setting.
>>
>>54806558
>while a tiefling's 1/32nd blood gives them SET A NIGGA ON FIRE power.
once per day, meanwhile literally all high elves have the potential to be an unlimited source of fire or acid because they get a cantrip for free. I don't really see how this isn't the exact same or way worse but there isn't a movement to tell all the elves to go back
>>
>>54806485
>sword coast has 12
SCAG has 9 archetypes in it.
>DMG has what, 3?
More like zero. Because there aren't any.
>"revised" subclasses
Those are in late stages of testing. Not released.
So a grand total of 9 released subclasses since the PHB, all of them in SCAG. And all of them are playable (read: better than beastmaster, but not broken).
>>
>>54806667
>More like zero. Because there aren't any.

2, death cleric and oathbreaker.
>>
>>54806662
Yeah, becaus the public perception is that Elves are all taught their magical bullshit, and the few people who know the race's origins connect them to celestial fey, aka Heaven(s), aka the good guys, not FUCKING DEMONS.
>>
>>54806681
My mistake, you are right. Although it's worth noting that neither are meant for player characters. And also neither are broken in any way.
>>
>>54806724
Oathbreaker is considered considerably more powerful than any other archetype.
>>
If a character you were DMing for were to place both hands on either side of someone's head and then cast Chromatic Orb, how would you work out that interaction?
>>
File: WeaponsBeta.png (274KB, 826x1182px) Image search: [Google]
WeaponsBeta.png
274KB, 826x1182px
>>54802046
Sure.
>>
>>54803428
>>54802698
>>54803704
>>54805286

>le funny nat 20 maymay

Yep. Looks like Dungeons and Dragons has finally cemented its place as a containment RPG. It's not like this wasn't already a thing. Ever since third edition came out the trend was already starting. Fourth edition came with the popularity surge of The Big Bang Theory which resulted in a spike in sales, which was not enough to save 4e's badly-written mechanics. Fifth edition was specifically watered down to be palatable both to grognards (who do not rely on the active D&D community nor do they need a new ruleset, thus this pandering was stupid) and to normies, who flocked to the game in great masses thanks to the game's appearance on two terrible TV shows (Stranger Things and Big Bang Theory). Also, the prevalence of Critical Role podcast created quite a lot of love for D&D, which found itself inundated by waves of new players. Wizards of the Coast saw sales skyrocketing, giving them the false message that dumbing down the game represented an improvement in game design (though they did streamline many of the mechanics, which *was* a good thing). As a result, Wizards is very happy with this diluting of the Dungeons and Dragons fanbase. /tg/ has also deluded itself into thinking this influx of players is a good thing. This lack of foresight is to be expected. D&D is now the containment RPG. It keeps the dumb-ass Skyrim addicts and the brain-dead hipster roasties who can't even figure out which die to roll, out of the good RPGs. Which is sad, because D&D, despite being shit in many small ways, was overall a very fun and enjoyable roleplaying game. It was structured that way. However, the fanbase it is now attracting is making it intolerable, and the way said fanbase is guiding the mechanics is a direction that would make a game like Dungeon World seem sophisticated.

So, in short, D&D is dead, but thank god for its existence.
>>
>>54806652
People think there can only be a couple kinds of races:
>the bland race
>the underground race
>the fighty race
>the magic race
>the thief race
And you can mix and match those, but for whatever reason the specific mix-and-match of Gnomes is VERBOTEN and UNORIGINAL and HAS NO SPACE OF ITS OWN while being completely fine with every other race or subrace that leans too heavily on the stereotypes of already-extant races.

Basically, they're too fucking stupid to use the actual lore for Gnomes, which is different than whatever they've all assumed is true of them (which remains a problem even for Halflings, who are often treated like "slightly less wacky Kender") or to come up with something interesting on their own.
>>
>>54806785
Hey I remember you from yesterday! Pathfinder still sucks
>>
>>54806785
>Looks like Dungeons and Dragons has finally cemented its place as a containment RPG
Why are you here then?
>>
>>54806768
Everything is exactly the same, except Whip having a special property, what was it?
>>
>>54806667
>SCAG has 9 archetypes in it.
battlerager, totem warrior, arcana domain, banneret, way of long death, way of sun soul, oath of the crown, mastermind, swashbuckler, storm sorcerer, undying patreon, bladesinger

>>54806724
oathbreaker is busted as hell while death is pointless outside of necromancy clerics, a build nobody actually does in 5e
>>
>>54806785
Adopt a trip already, Merals Guy.

>>54806760
Shunted to the nearest non-occupied space, as with every other effect that attempts to (re)manifest or resize something into a space already containing stuff or too small for it.
>>
>>54806724
They're both meant for player characters and non-player characters given that it's in PC character format and it says 'A DM may allow a player to choose this option' or whatever. The deal is that they're evil-themed archetypes (rather than a whole class like warlock) and so they're kept away from the players to avoid edgelords edging it up.

Of course in actuality regardless of their intentions the truth that has emerged is that they are player options only and that applying them to NPCs is just encouraging DMs to make boss fight NPCs that go down in a single round of combat.
>>
>>54806843
>warlocks
>evil
>>
>>54805286
>arcane trickster
>any non-legendary magical item from the DMG
>chooses a scimitar of swiftness/+3 rapier
you disgust me, not for not acknowledging the bounded accuracy, but for your incredibly uninspired choices.
I mean, you could have walked away with a wand of paralysis or fireballs.
>>
>>54801570
>insane moon-lawn-gnome
This is now my next antagonist.
>>
>>54806651
10/10 would zug.
>>
File: P_changwiz.jpg (71KB, 373x300px) Image search: [Google]
P_changwiz.jpg
71KB, 373x300px
>>54806654
Personally, I'm quite fond of the Changelings, although they need a better 5e writeup than the current UA one. It's either a little boring or horribly broken depending on how you interpret the word "polymorph".

If I were GMing and also starting after level 3 or so, I'd just have players use the Half-elf stats and give them a free Hat of Disguise with very slight mostly descriptive modifications.

I love that old style portrait.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pc/20050420a
Also, I miss the old pre-4e Wizards DnD site. They pushed the marketing HARD when 4e came out, and it sort of destroyed the old free content vibe they had going. But you don't need me to remind you that Wizards horribly mishandled 4e.
>>
>>54803428
Basically this.

Usually nat 1 becomes memerific where the DM causes nat 1s to break all logic and cause you to do something that makes no sense.

Nat 1s can be done properly, but it requires the DM to admit that sometimes a nat 1 won't do anything because there's no reason for it to do anything. The trained fighter will only lose his grip on his sword if he oiled down his hands.

>>54806870
They are not necessarily evil, but they are more evil-inclined than any other class.
>>
>>54806829
Totem Warrior warrior isn't a new archetype, but I'll concede that apparently I can't count.

>>54806870
Don't feed the troll.
>>
>>54805375
>no one plays the Volo's races

I dunno about you guys but 80% of the time I just can't help playing a goblinoid. I fuckin' love 'em.
>>
>>54806517

The early design for DnDNext was going to be based around Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, and Wizard as the only classes and everything else would be an optional template for them, since that way you could have each book fine-tune the base classes to suit.

It proved unpopular and was one of the first things to go when they dropped the idea of modular everything.
>>
>>54807097
Yeah, so "hurr just make psionics a wizard class" is fucking stupid.

They're at-will Binders with SP. That alone is already more different from Wizard than Sorcerers are.
>>
>>54807058
Goblins make amazing spellcasters. Racial bonuses to dex and con, disengage or dash on a bonus action?

Fuck yes, please.
>>
>>54806825

Blowgun, too
>>
>>54806517
Bard would be a rogue archetype, if history is any indication.

>>54806390
>>54807111
Interestingly enough, in editions that divided everyone into warrior/wizard/priest/rogue, psionics were the only class not classified as any of them. Even monks counted as priests.
>>
>>54807127

My last character was a Hobgoblin Divination wizard who was convinced a grand, malicious conspiracy was running the world and orchestrating every great event, like a typical tin-foil hat type spooked by the Illuminati. Lots of fun.

He had a glaive. Love that HG weapon proficiency.
>>
File: bard.png (496KB, 800x1016px) Image search: [Google]
bard.png
496KB, 800x1016px
what does the perform skill actually do?
i dont see a use for it... at all.
should i not take perform as a bard?
i mean it would be really sad, but i dont see any use for it.
>>
>>54807411
...It's for performing, anon
>>
>>54807411
If you don't plan on doing actual performances - playing music, giving speeches, turning tricks - and explaining why you want to make it a performance compared to a persuasion or other check, yeah don't take it. It's not any good if you're just going to murderhobo around, or your main out of combat role is more deception
>>
>>54807411
What the fuck do you think performance covers? It's pretty damn self explanatory
>>
>>54807411
The only time I see players use it is in the first session when they go to a tavern and try to perform there to get some gold. After that, it's never seen again.
>>
File: ff7wrestle.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
ff7wrestle.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>54807411
Make money and impress people.
>go to the local tavern
>jam out some sweet tunes
>collect tips and free shit from the barkeep for attracting more patrons

I took Perform on my Dwarven Battlemaster with the Entertainer background and used it to stage fights as live entertainment, regale bar patrons or citizens on the street with tales of his mighty heroism in past brawls, or to cow potential enemies by suplexing large objects and showing off his sweet muscles. It's showmanship and also part of the social skill group.
>>
File: ruben-alvarez-arias-fishcreature.jpg (407KB, 1321x1554px) Image search: [Google]
ruben-alvarez-arias-fishcreature.jpg
407KB, 1321x1554px
>>54807459
>>54807461
>>54807411
the thing is... bards already get proficiency in 3 instruments, so isnt that supposed to be their perform skill? why is it a seperate skill? i dont understand.
a seperate perform skill just strikes me as a skill tax for bards. idk.

what is a situation or use that you have seen perform be good at?
>>
>>54807510
Performing is more than just playing an instrument. It also includes singing, dancing, public speaking, and more.

Also, proficiency in an instrument means you are able to actually play it without being shit. You'd still make a performance check if you were to perform with it.
>>
>>54807506
>suplexing large objects and showing off his sweet muscles.
wouldnt that be intimidate?
>>
>>54807097
>The early design for DnDNext was going to be based around Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, and Wizard as the only classes and everything else would be an optional template for them, since that way you could have each book fine-tune the base classes to suit.

Kinda. They were planning on that approach for most of the arcane magic classes (wizard, warlock and sorcerer, but not the bard) by merging them into a single class called the mage.

They dumped that approach but still wanted to group classes somehow, so they introduced 2e style class groups. Thing is, the class groups don't amount to much. It's not the same as having just four classes with a bunch of archetypes. It means you have the same classes as right now, they are just lumped together into vague over-categories. So that approach was dumped too.

Here's the article about it from wayback:

https://web.archive.org/web/20131004172104/www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130930

But there was never a point in the playtest where all the "warrior" classes were merged together, or clerics and druids were the same class, for instance.
>>
>>54807560
Wrestlers aren't trying to intimidate their spectators, anon
>>
>>54807560
Intimidate (Cha) is FUCK YOU I'M SCARY
Intimidate (Str) is LOOK HOW RIPPED I AM, THESE MUSCLES COULD THROW AN ALE KEG
Perform (Str) is WATCH ME FUCKING POWERBOMB AN ALE KEG WHILE PERFORMING A TRIPLE AXEL SALCHOW
>>
>>54807510
proficiency in instruments just means you know HOW to play them, not necessarily how well you play them and with how much pizazz. A street busker knows how to play his instrument, but can't necessarily put on a show.
>>
>>54807510
Those aren't the same thing. Proficiency with an instrument means you can play it well. Really, really well. But it doesn't mean you can do it compellingly.
If you want to get on stage an play a piece well, you roll your instrument. If you want to get on stage and ROCK THE HOUSE, you roll performance.
The Ramones never rolled a guitar check in their lives, but their Perform was great.
>>
Has anyone ever worked with a traits system for their game? Is there a decent homebrew for it? One of my players wants to make a disfigured character so that he's shit at Persuasion but good at Intimidate.
>>
>>54807639
>One of my players wants to make a disfigured character so that he's shit at Persuasion but good at Intimidate
Just apply advantage/disadvantage in scenarios where his disfigurement would affect the check
>>
>Kenku are experts at forgery
>They don't get proficiency with forgery kits
>>
>>54807639
That's literal min-maxing. It's the non-combat equivalent of a fighter taking a penalty to spell damage so he can have a bonus to weapon damage.
>>
What are some fun, unique multiclass combos.
>>
>>54807768
Monk/Barbarian. Not very effective, but using flurry while raging and going full ham is great. Rage bonus applies to all your punches too if you use STR. All you need for the MC is a 13 WIS and you're probably gonna want that over CHA or INT.
>>
>>54807768
Fuck multiclassing. Take an archetype from an entirely different class.
>Hexblade Paladin
>>
>>54807768
ShadowFighter or ShadowRogue. Become the edgy embodiment of
>nothin personnel, kid
>>
>>54807768
Sea sorc / goo warlock
Ancient paladin / fey warlock
Battle master or arcane archer / ua ranger
Crown paladin / fiend lock
Barbarian / rogue
Zealot barbarian / celestial warlock
>>
>>54807768
In a similar vein, is there a viable spellcaster barb build?
>>
>>54807816
Barbarian/Druid is good for raging wild shape and out of combat versatility, but not being able to cast or concentrate on spells while raging really limits what you can do with a spellcasting barbarian.
>>
File: 16548678646163.jpg (188KB, 986x500px) Image search: [Google]
16548678646163.jpg
188KB, 986x500px
I have physical copies of the core rulebooks and I'm looking to get another sourcebook. What would be better to have? Volo's or SCAG? On one side, I like the SCAG due to the fluff and character options (it helps since I'm running a Sword Coast-set campaign atm with my table) but then again, Volo's Guide has the new monsters and races and I feel like it's something better to own due to the nature of the book's theme of strange monsters.
>>
>>54807894
Volo's is by far more useful.
>>
>>54807894
i went with volos
i havent regretted it
>>
File: 1473756479568.jpg (38KB, 262x133px) Image search: [Google]
1473756479568.jpg
38KB, 262x133px
I don't know how to find people to play with.
>>
>>54807966
make friends
>>
File: 1478681731813.jpg (22KB, 362x372px) Image search: [Google]
1478681731813.jpg
22KB, 362x372px
>>54807973
>>
>>54807966
use reddit/r/lfg
or d20 or something
>>
>>54807977
>>54807977
>>54807977
>>54807977
>>54807977
new thread
>>
File: read the book desu.png (284KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
read the book desu.png
284KB, 1280x738px
>>54807966
Have you tried the Discord's #lfg channel?
>>
>>54807981
>>54807988
I'm not in the US.
>>
>>54807768
Sorcerer/Warlock
Warlock/Paladin
Paladin/Sorcerer
>>
>>54808016
>Warlock/Paladin
>unique
>>
>>54807992
r/lfg isn't just in the US
Neither is roll20
>>
>>54808157
But the sites end in .com and .net, that means they're US sitesisyfiadgmthjptbrsiwaj
>>
>>54807768
Bardlock
Paladinlock
Mystic Ranger
>>
>>54807814
>Sea sorc / goo warlock
>Sea Goo
Hagfish sorlock?
>>
File: machomadness.png (484KB, 900x728px) Image search: [Google]
machomadness.png
484KB, 900x728px
>>54807595
>Perform (Str) is WATCH ME FUCKING POWERBOMB AN ALE KEG WHILE PERFORMING A TRIPLE AXEL SALCHOW
I'd never thought of cross-ability skill checks besides intimidation (str). I like it.
>>
>>54809442
I do Dexterity (Survival) for skinning creatures or harvesting parts like claws, teeth, eyes, etc.
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.