[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 372
Thread images: 41

File: 1468041864650.jpg (209KB, 727x819px) Image search: [Google]
1468041864650.jpg
209KB, 727x819px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread
>>54779094
>>
Eberron
>>
What Theurge wizard should I play? Life, Knowledge, Death, Grave or something else?
>>
Auriga
>>
File: dnd.wizards.com homepage.png (605KB, 1199x401px) Image search: [Google]
dnd.wizards.com homepage.png
605KB, 1199x401px
Where were you when Mike Mearls was so ashamed of the last two UAs that he pretended he didn't exist
>>
>>54792169
The same, but with skill monkeying and inspiration.
>>
>>54792148
Im using inkarnate to create rough drafts of national/regional/world maps, but are there any online map makers that lets you focus on a city or town scale?

This is the only city generator I have but I want something less random
https://watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator
>>
>>54792148

>only drops one link to new thread in old thread

Apply yourself.
>>
>NPC 8 foot tall BIGLY HUEG guy (Goliath race expy)
>Is going to be the party's current boss/questgiver (PCs are pirates/raiders)

What personality would be good for a huge pirate/gang boss? I'd rather skip the generic Pirate/Goliath personalities.

As of now I'm thinking maybe one of these-
>Reinhardt but a pirate
>MGSV Revolver Ocelot (except hueg)
>a 1:1 copy of Tommy Wiseau in The Room
>REALLY FLAMBOYANT gay dude, basically like those fuckers from God Hand
>Leon from The Professional
>>
>>54792301
Which one will you have fun with past the first session of it being a funny joke?
>>
>>54792301
The Sky Pirate Balthier
>>
Starting a 5e campaign for the first time when I've only ever played 3e. What should I expect? All I've seen are the character creation changes and while slightly overwhelmed I'm loving all the options
>>
What stops my DM from having goblins just walk through the stone wall I made with silent image?
If I make a 10ft radius stone wall surrounding the goblin can he just touch it as a free action or is my DM being a shit?
i.e I didn't learn the spell so it could be ignored by gobbos with -2 Int.
>>
>>54792365
Fewer magic items, way less feat fuckery, much more capable martials, much lower numbers and DCs and ACs.
>>
File: Tommy_Wiseau_in_The_Room.jpg (85KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Tommy_Wiseau_in_The_Room.jpg
85KB, 970x545px
>>54792335
These are more of general peronality traits/what kind of voice I should practice up before playing than overall character, so I could make any of them work in a long run.

8 foot tall Tommy Wiseau seems like it could be entertaining in the long run while also being unnerving to players that don't get the refrence.
>>54792352
Can't use him because he's already got a different NPC that's a ripoff of him. (That and part of his character/reputation is that he's rather eccentric, though the flavor of which I haven't decided)
>>
>guy wants to run a level 20 campaign of just fighting gods and elemental/demon lords
>UA allowed, make mystic, also high elf so take Toll the Dead from starter spells UA
>jesus christ there is so much choice
>like 20 pages of just disciplines to choose from
>takes me 2 full hours to put a character together
>fucking first enemies we fight are mind flayers
>i'm laughing at their mind blasts and sending it back in spades with our psychic wars

unexpected but fun
>>
>>54792370
Because it doesn't look like an illusory wall, it looks like a goddamn wall sprung up out of nowhere. Nothing except a suicidally stupid monster are going to run into a wall that sprouted from nowhere.

Your DM should understand that it's a game, not a competition. If he wants goblins to run through a wall, he had sure as shit be making sure that one of them passes an Investigation check to make sure it's a real wall. Until one of them makes a successful check, none of them should run through the wall. If you use the same illusion over and over, then maybe the goblins will catch on.

Another thing is that goblins are stupid, cowardly, and afraid of magic in all its forms. They're not going to want to be near a wall that sprouted from nowhere.
>>
>>54792171
Death, play a Good Necromancer who doesn't just shit out Undead but instead uses things like Draining, Fear, Speaking with Dead and other classic Necromancy spells.
>>
>>54792370
>casts an ILLUSION spell in the least tricky, most obvious way ever
>whines that it doesn't fool anyone

I don't think you're smart enough to play an illusionist. If you were surrounded by a sudden stone wall, what would YOU do? That's right, you'd probably try breaking out or climbing over it. And if it was a fake ass wall, oh, well, you'd walk through it and get back to fighting.

Seriously, what did you expect to happen there?
>>
File: 1500670427371.jpg (144KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1500670427371.jpg
144KB, 572x303px
>>54792148
I'm going to be having my players defend an Inn from zombies from midnight until dawn, ala the Midnight Hotel from Skulduggery Pleasant. What are some good random events to happen throughout the night? So far I have:

roll a d12
1. an Ogre Zombie bursts through the floor, having gotten into the cellar.
2. a d8 of zombies start climbing trees in an effort to get on the roof.
3. a zombified patron tries to convince the players to let him in, saying he left his wallet.
4. the players find a crate of exquisite-quality wine.
5. a small fire starts in: |1d4| 1. the kitchen 2. the bedrooms 3. the cellar 4. the zombies
6. hold the line! Heavily armored undead try to batter down the door with a sharpened tree trunk.
7. the players catch a glimpse of a black-cloaked figure striding through the crowd.
8. an ambitious zombie manages to rip a players weapon out of his hands.
9. the players find a stash of weapons in the cellar. Roll a d20; if 1 or 20, one of them is magical.
10. a wandering paladin carves his way through the horde, ending up inside the inn. he took |1d4| 1. light injuries 2. heavy injuries 3-4. fatal injuries.
11. a drunken patron stumbles downstairs, complaining about a hangover. |1d4| 1-2. He's a 3rd level wizard. 3-4 He's a drunken idiot.
12. a traveling merchant staying in an upstairs room offer to sell the players "anti-undead cologne". The hideous smell gives any undead disadvantage on attack rolls. Lasts until the player gets wet.

gimme them ideas bois
>>
>>54792370
I imagine they would've tried to hit the wall when it spring up, rather then stand there and do nothing about it. They would've realised it's fake pretty much straight away.

One of the issues with Illusions is that if something touches it you're fucked, so make sure it's something people aren't going to want to touch.
>>
>>54792560
>zombie left his wallet in there.
make it coinpouch for fantasy realism.

13.have the zombies try to fell a tree onto the inn as a final effort in the night and if the party cant figure out how to stop them it breaches the inn and now zombies can stream into the first and second floors using the tree as a walkway.
>>
>>54792301
Have him sing a lot. Sea shanties exist for a reason. And be really uncoordinated on land.
>>
>>54792175
when did this happen?
>>
Tempted to play a Awakened Mystic how does the class play?
>>
Hey does anybody know of a better system for gear progression?like at level 1-20 a martial will never change out his sword to get a nicer blade unless its made of some magical ore or is enchanted
im mainly looking for some sort of added progression supplement to add to 5e so i can actually make martial have a sense of progression for gear instead of just buying new pitons and more rope and food every time they visit town
my only idea so far is to have bronze weapons be the main thing and steel weapons are semi-rare and expensive like 5x phb cost and have bronze get negatives vs steel armor and steel get bonuses against bronze armor but thats about it
>>
File: 1365755210792.gif (3MB, 485x300px) Image search: [Google]
1365755210792.gif
3MB, 485x300px
I guess its up in the air (heavily leaning on probably not), but im on mobile right now and cant check.

Are any of the 4e books/supplements in the trove? I run 5e but there is a lot i want to steal
>>
What are some examples of epic level classes?
I'm going to be in a level 20+ campaign soon and I need some ideas.
>>
>>54792959
you could let them go to the blacksmith and comission upgrades to their weapons like having your sheath turn into a shield as a free action or have your sheath extend blades out from the sides and turn into a great sword. Even paying a blacksmith to give a weapon the heavy or light properties or have a chain or a metal wire on the hilt of a weapon so when its thrown the user can pull it back into their hand as a free-action athletics check (sleight of hand for light weapons, athletics for others)
>>
Quick question, what class is best for an animate object spellcaster? I have little experience with 5e so any help is appreciated.
>>
At what point does a character's alignment change? Major points in the story or simply the accumulation of non-aligned actions?
>>
>>54793014
Literally any level 20 character you can make.

Even the worst archetype of the worst class at level 20.

But if you want a BEEG HERO, can't go wrong with a Bard or Wizard. Or a Druid,
you're a pseudo-lich at that point
>>
>>54793020
i do like the gnome-tinker approach to it i was kinda thinking more practical though (i will steal some of those ideas though)
If sombody knows of a system with good crafting rules (i think 3.5 or 4e should have one right?) and can point me to a book its in ill happily rip it my self
>>
>>54793027
Illusionist Wizard, because illusionist is a good caster and the only casters that have Animate Objects are bard, sorcerer, wizard, forge cleric.
>>
Does anyone have the screenshot explaining how fast a character could go if you stacked a bunch of spells and stuff? There was one with a tabaxi.
>>
>>54792959
you could simply have an artificer that sells gems to jam into a weapon hilt. for 1 minute all attacks with the weapon deal an extra 2 or 3 elemental damage. Or could inflict a condition on a critical hit like frightened or poisoned. These are consumables mind you so you might actually want to give the option of a permanent enchantment as a reward for doing the artificer a solid.
>>
>>54793135
The legendary Fastbaxi?
>>
File: fastbaxi.png (116KB, 759x706px) Image search: [Google]
fastbaxi.png
116KB, 759x706px
>>54793135
>>54793189
This?
>>
Rouge's Cunning Action is way more useful than I thought
Even if you're DM won't let you Hide often you can still dash circles around melee fighters and its still useful just to go sanic speeds
>>
File: 968_bloodartist.jpg (98KB, 620x453px) Image search: [Google]
968_bloodartist.jpg
98KB, 620x453px
What's your favorite bard college? Why?

Are there any gimmicky bard builds that can still work? I've got a not-so-serious game coming up and I'd like to do something that isn't optimized for once, but I still don't want to be a detriment to my team.
>>
>>54793314
Lore, i feel that Magical Secrets is a major defining feature of what makes the 5e bard interesting/unique, so getting them sooner is a big deal.
>>
Does this seem like a good idea?

>D&D 5E gritty realism, I'm GM'ing
>starting a new game and want to try something different
>players go on their adventure but experience zero combat encounters while traveling
>zero combat encounters in cities too
>basically the world's level of danger is close enough to reality that players only find fights if they start them
>with so little actual combat over the weeks players are leveling slow
>enter gimmick
>players finally come across a shrine to an unknown god out in wilderness
>it's filled with riches, they obviously steal everything they can get their hands on
>lack of loot from battle has left their pockets empty
>after they leave a voice echoes "your hearts full of greed, now yours will be a life of constant strife"
>D&D encounters ENGAGED
>suddenly a regular amount of hostile creatures/npc's/monsters seem like the world is actively trying to kill the party
>players are unable to find the temple and return what they stole
>>
>>54792560

>12. a traveling merchant staying in an upstairs room offer to sell the players "anti-undead cologne". The hideous smell gives any undead disadvantage on attack rolls. Lasts until the player gets wet.

They're just going to kill him and take it.
>>
>>54793314
This image always annoyed me because it's like the equivalent of a human making a painting out of a hamburger.
>>
File: hanging_goat.jpg (15KB, 482x327px) Image search: [Google]
hanging_goat.jpg
15KB, 482x327px
>playing D&D 5th edition
Why would you even want to play one of the dullest tabletop role-playing games in the history of tabletop roleplaying games? Seriously, class you play in this game to fight assorted villains, is indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the shitty art and unsubtle political support of transsexuals, the classes’ only consistency is having the exact same bonus to hit, and the goal of which being damage, to make even the least combat-oriented games all about combat..

Perhaps the die was cast when Merals decided to make the game appeal to all of D&D's fractured fanbases; he made sure the game would never be taken seriously as anything but a bland middle ground, just a simple inoffensive game that doesnt nothing new. 5th edition might be anti-complexity (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-progress in its embracing of D&D's most archaic rules, and the discarding of 4e's progress. No one wants to face that fact. Now they no longer have to.

>a-at least it's pretty good, though!
No! The character options are all but non-existent. As I read the core rulebook, I noticed that every class had some mechanic that used advantage. I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that advantage showed up again. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Mearls' mind is so governed by the few ideas he has (like advantage), that he has no other recourse for creating class abilities. Later I read a lavish, loving review of 5th edition by the creator of Dungeon World. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing D&D 5e at 15 or 16 years of age, then when they get older they will go on to play Dungeon World." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play D&D 5e you are, in fact, being trained to play Dungeon World.
>>
>>54793380
Eh not really there's a lot of sexual connotation in vampirism
>>
>>54793354
Not really. It might work for a session or two but not much longer. I also doubt players would ever want to go back to the no-combat mode.
>>
>>54793392
Here's your (you). People like the role play and customization that 5e brings. Advantage is a great mechanic that abstracts over what would be a superfluous amount of class features
>>
File: 1500777678507.jpg (13KB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
1500777678507.jpg
13KB, 420x300px
>players interrogating one of the cultist from HotDQ
>squabbling the best way to go about
>in true PC fashion they resort to more or less torture
>rouge decides to break out his crowbar to start it off
>argues that he gets advantage on interrogation since it grants him advantage on leverage with it
>oh you.jpeg
Long story short they beat that fucker to death
>>
>>54793392
t. Friendless Autist
>>
>>54793380
Found the unamerican swine who doesn't paint all his minis and maps with a McDouble.
>>
>>54793431
It's more of a means to explain why player characters get attacked so many times.
>>
>>54793437
>customization
>5e

you're joking, right?

people like 5e because it's simple, anyone who actually cares about customization is playing 3.5e or pathfinder
>>
>>54793392
Lost at "If these kids are playing D&D 5e at 15..."
nice pasta comrade. did you change it or did someone else.
>>
>>54793458
You can customize on top of the base rules is what I meant
>>
File: get out.jpg (106KB, 560x510px) Image search: [Google]
get out.jpg
106KB, 560x510px
>>54793392
(You)'m'st'd'l've.
>>
>>54793449
>he has a mcdouble in his posession for more than the 5 seconds needed to stuff it directly into your face-hole
Nice try non-american, but you can't fool me that easily.
>>
>>54793392
>4e progress

stopped reading there
>>
>>54793458
After playing 5e for like 2 years now, my analysis shows that 5e makes for a great "skeleton" to build upon with your own shit for customization. Though that only works when you're DM cause most DMs won't let you homebrew shit
>>
>>54793458
People really play Pathfinder?
I thought it was just a series of treatises on theoretical character construction that shut-ins like to argue about on the internets.

It's hard to imagine anyone trying to use it for recreation.
>>
>>54793509
pathfinder is great for people who want to make their own characters instead of playing as generic fantasy archetypes lifted directly out of lord of the rings
>>
File: Tighten.jpg (16KB, 210x236px) Image search: [Google]
Tighten.jpg
16KB, 210x236px
>>54793509
I bought the Pathfinder book of intrigue, hoping it would have some plot ideas for creating suspense or mystery sessions.

Instead I found a system for assigning "hit points" to Libraries and other mystery locations, which you were supposed to "damage" by investigating them, with your damage dice being determined by your class, modified by attributes, skills....

Nothing human would play this system for "fun".
>>
>>54793548
Just because you lack imagination or ability to work within a system doesn't mean other people can
>>
>>54793564
you wanna try that one again buddy?
>>
>>54793548
Pathfinder is the ultimate Fidget Spinner for turbo-autistic gamers who get nervous when they have to look up at other people, and would rather stare at their character sheet formulas or splatbooks.
>>
>>54793548

Remind me which member of the Fellowship was the Dragonborn Warlock again?
>>
>>54793573
Nah I think you know what I meant
>>
>>54793557
thats not a bad idea for a heavily destroyed library like nearly broken down that could crumble down at a moments notice other wise its pretty shit
>>
File: book of dorf 2e.png (4MB, 1221x1584px) Image search: [Google]
book of dorf 2e.png
4MB, 1221x1584px
>>54793581
Gimli
>>
>>54793598
why the fuck would you expect anyone to take you seriously when you can't even form a coherent sentence?
>>
>>54793602
No, basically if you are trying to get information from a resource, location or even a person, you are "beating on them" with your class/skills/attributes til you've done sufficient "damage" to dislodge different levels of info.

Because roleplaying is for faggots.
>>
>>54793605
he simply forgot his contraction, the fact of the matter is that you can make a character perfectly fine in 5e without adding a dozen incoherent systems on top of them
>>
>>54793605
Good argument, sperging over the fact that I left off an apostrophe and a t. Thanks for confirming my expectations of a Pathfinder player.
>>
>>54793624
different strokes for different folks I guess
some players are less inclined towards heavy RP and more to problem solving though. The DMG or PHB has a page about it iirc
>>
>>54793624
ok thats laughably bad
i thought it would be somthing like "wizards have d4 hitdie and are really intelligent so half the intelligence mod rounding down roll a d4 and subtract that amount from it thats how much the structure takes whenever you make a search check to find shit inside of it
so a fighter on a crazily close to crumbling library walks in stumbles around and rolls really shittly a max roll of like 10+ somthing cause low intelligence, not only does he bring the library crashing around him but he has to roll a athletics to get out in time
>>
>>54793645
But how will you be able to make a character without 5 tiers of Feats with super-specific attribute, skill, level and Feat requirements to attain?
I mean, nothing really defines the special character qualities of an individual character like attaining Power Attack IV.
>>
>>54793624
I too like to spend my time just subtracting from a number by rolling dice in various contexts
>>
>>54793645
you can make a character perfectly fine as long as you want to play as aragorn, sure
>>
>>54793678
If you get a charge of adrenaline from defeating a notorious Huge Ancient Library, then Pathfinder is the system for you!
>>
>>54793678
hello fellow autist would you like to play pathfinder together?
i wont be dming i want to play a half-kitsune half-demon barbarian cannibal
>>
>>54793696
yes, every martial and spellcasting class is aragorn
>>
>>54793717
Don't feed the zoo animals, just watch from afar and laugh
>>
>>54793717
well, you can play as gandalf or maybe gimli too if you want
>>
>>54793354
let them encounter some possibility for atonement. After this arc (at most 3 sessions?) they should have a taste for battle and conflict, and a desire to adventure.
>>
File: twain07.jpg (38KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
twain07.jpg
38KB, 564x564px
>>54793717
>>
>>54793392
virt go to bed
>>
>>54793732
Let this man play his kitsune drow princess Mecha in peace!
>>
>>54793732
yes, because gandalf summoned demons and gimli played a lute
>>
>>54793750
>2001 facebook memes
>>
>>54793438
>argues that he gets advantage on interrogation since it grants him advantage on leverage with it
I can't decide whether its most stupid or most genius thing i've heard today.

>>54793392
Fuck you, Anon.
>>
>>54793781
>Facebook was founded in 2004
>>
>>54793438
I'd at least give him inspiration for that.
>>
>>54793781
>2009 ttrpg systems
>>
>>54793797
>went as far as to google when facebook was founded to win a 4chan argument in a thread about a shitty board game
>>
I always seem to wind up as the party face in my groups. How do I avoid being too pushy? I want other players to have a chance to shine.
>>
>>54793438
>rouge
>>
>>54793832
Friend I game with, he always plays a high Charisma bard or rogue.
Takes Persuasion and all the other related skills.
Refuses to be the party "face".
>>
>>54793827
>board game
Ok you finally got to me
>>
>>54793832
>I want other players to have a chance to shine.
Do they want it?
>>
>>54793827
Woaaaah googling? Fucking no life
>>
>>54793914
glad someone understands
>>
>>54792148
hey /5eg/
is sleight of hand useful ever?
i ran out of skills for my lore bard so i need to find things to cut.
>>
>>54793965
also, should i take all the cha skills? and insight?
seems like intimidate and persuade are overlapping?
>>
>>54793978
There's a time for persuasion and a time for intimidation, they are two halves of the same art. Jack of all Trades will see you through most checks even without proficiency, just don't step on the rogue's toes and you're cool.
>>
>>54793909
I dunno. I just worry that if I'm in the spotlight too much the other player will feel like they don't matter. This shit gives me anxiety.
>>
>>54792974
There are indeed other game folders in the sidebar.
>>
While we're talking about it, what would be the best way to go about playing a character that /isn't/ in the spotlight?

I'm not so great at roleplaying and I usually like leaving the majority of it up to everyone else.
>>
>>54794077
good cop bad cop, two+ man schemes. Set it up and let them knock it down according to plan.
>>
>>54794117
>the best way to go about playing a character that /isn't/ in the spotlight
The same as you would any other character, except talking less.
>>
>>54793438
What I've done for the current campaign is have the captive make a Wisdom saving throw against the captor's Intimidation.

A goblin probably has a penalty, a Knight probably has a bonus. I'd give the captor bonuses or dis/adv due to creativity/situational awareness, and allow both Good Cop (persuasion) and Bad Cop (intimidation). I'd give advantage on a persuasion against a Halfling if you gave him food, and disadvantage on threatening to mutilate a masochistic Drow.

Not describing the brutality of torture has worked so far on both sides of the table, as I (DM) don't really have a taste for torture, and only 1/5 of the table does.
>>
>>54792560
>12. a traveling merchant staying in an upstairs room offer to sell the players "anti-undead cologne". The hideous smell gives any undead disadvantage on attack rolls. Lasts until the player gets wet.

I'd say [1-4] it's worthless water, [5-6] zombies have disadvantage.
>>
Yo one of the games i'm in is having an event where everyone gets bumped to level 10 and go at it in FFA, as a college of lore bard, any recommendations for spells? I'm thinking 100% counterspell.
>>
File: gg.jpg (43KB, 411x418px) Image search: [Google]
gg.jpg
43KB, 411x418px
>>54794154
Better, thanks. I'm also thinking about it giving disadvantage on all charisma based checks until it wears off.
>>
>>54793509
my experience with pf groups is people who want to play Dhampir, kitsune, or classes based on animu.
>>
I'm pretty new to 5e, are wizards as unfriendly to new players as they are in other editions? Should I play a sorcerer first if I'm unfamiliar with the system?
>>
>>54794282
wizards are much easier than they used to be and even have non-spell options available to them now. Sorcerers are much gimped now, wild magic is still fun though.
>>
>>54793654
Rolling dice until the GM tells you what you want to know isn't problem solving.
>>
>>54794282
play bard first I think. Druid and Wizard are harder to wrap your head around than bard. VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU PLAY AS LORE BARD PICK COUNTERSPELL BECUASE ITS SO USEFULL AS A SPELL
>>
>>54794313
Yeah, counterspell is top tier amazing but if you've got a caster heavy party it might be optional. Still should probly take it anyway, shit's just fantastic.
>>
>>54794154
1: it's zombie aphrodisiac
>>
>>54794301
Non-spell options? You mean cantrips?
>>
>>54794358
Subclass features
>>
>>54794358
Cantrips are technically spells too, just cantrip-spells. Every wizard subclass has a sort of bonus action relating to the school of magic you focus in. Illusion is fucking ridiculous, at will modification of illusion spells. 14th Illusionist can make illusions REAL for 60 seconds.

Conjurerers can conjure things, diviners can roll 2d20 at the end of a long rest and swap those dice into other rolls throughout the day... I forget the rest, they're cool.
>>
>>54794352
>all the zombies are grappling with advantage
fund it
>>
File: 1502165708404.jpg (12KB, 239x223px) Image search: [Google]
1502165708404.jpg
12KB, 239x223px
>>54792301
Goliaths aren't fucking bandits or savages.

I wish this meme would go away.
>>
Are there rules for becoming a lich in 5e?
>>
Can anyone recommend any good DnD podcasts or the like? I'm bored as fuck but don't trust the quality of anything I'd find randomly.
>>
>>54794358
Abjurers get free shieldy wards anytime they cast anything, at higher levels they can shield other people with it as a reaction.

Conjurers can conjure 3sq ft of nonmagical things diamonds that are obviously magical and last 1hr. 6th level 1 free teleport as action per rest.

Diviner 2d20, higher level regain spell slots, free magical vision spell as action per rest, 3d20 later. Kinda shafted but could be minmaxed into things. Lucky

etc.
>>
>>54793357
You have shit players
>>
>>54794408
Monster Manual describes how most wizards become Liches, so just follow what that says.
>>
>first encounter of the campaign
>some dude camping in the middle of the forest
>we move to introduce ourselves
>its kobloids, they attack us
>once defeated, the druid wants to heal them
>why?
>because we attacked them, they were probably just scared and attacked us back
>no dude, they're kobloids, they're evil, they attacked us
>"dm, what do we know about kobloids in this world"
>"kobloids are generally considered evil"
>druid doesnt want to kill them
>ok, lets tie them up
>druid: "my character doesnt want to stay with the party any more. I sleep in the middle of the forest, far away from the rest of the party"
I hate this shit
>>
>>54794376
>Conjurerers can conjure things

>Abjurers can abjure things
>Diviners can divine things
>Enchanters can enchant things
>Evocators can evoke things
>Illusionists can illude things
>Transmuters can transmute things
>>
I want a high-int, high-str character who focuses on grappling. What race/class/archetype should I go for?
>>
>>54794650
Barbarian/Rogue multiclass
>>
>>54794650
the only thing that comes to mind that would work would be eldritch knight and really only if your DM allows you to get the UA feat that gives you expertise in athletics
>>
>>54794650
Eldritch Knight with Brawny feat.
>>
>>54794685
That seems interesting. Should I go Barbarian first?

>>54794688
>>54794695
I like the look of Eldritch Knight. My DM allows UA, and even homebrew stuff if he likes the look of it. I've been considering Mystic, with the Order of the Immortal archetype.
>>
>>54794430
Thrilling Intent. I suggest you start around the cavern of lights episodes. I can't exactly remember what the start point is.
>>
>>54794407
new meme: goliaths are krogan
>>
>>54794749
KROGAN KOCK FOREVER AND EVER
>>
>>54794581
Frankly, i kind of understand his sentiment.

Imagine you are attacked by niggers, defeat them and then one dude wants to provide them with first aid, so they don't die. The ambushers may be considered evil, but they are still sentient beings and i feel good character is morally obliged to expend at least certain amount of care even for his enemies.
Admittedly, this is meme originating with some ancient dead jew, so it might not apply in your setting.

I do exact same thing as your player and it is difficult to me to immerse into character who cares so little about sentient life, it feel almost psychopathic.
>>
>>54792560
13. One of the patrons of the inn goes crazy and tries to kill his wife and children so they don't get devoured or zombified.
14. A wight leads a wave of zombies against the inn.
15. A guest has gone missing, although no one remembers seeing him leave. All his possessions are still in his room, including a hideous idol.
16. A zombie [1] mastiff [2] draft horse [3] riding horse [4] pony [5] cat [6] rat attacks.
17. A big storm rolls in.
18. A crawling claw has gotten into the inn.
>>
Hmm, how can I abuse unseen servant to reload crossbows for rapid firing?
>>
>>54794255
If you want to be really cheap, Greater Invisibility, Invisibility, Counterspell, and Fly are probably your best options. Past that probably look for something like Vicious Mockery for a damage spell, take Cure Wounds or Healing Word to keep you alive. Maybe a save or suck spell like Hold Person and just shank them a bunch of times.
>>
>>54794790
>how can I abuse
Just stop right there
>>
>>54794790
>crossbows
>Not ballistae
>>
>>54794609
>Necromancers can necrophilia things
>>
One of my friends was thinking about playing a bard. Which one was the really good bard again?
>>
>>54794889
Lore bard.
>>
>>54794889
Lore is amazing, Valor is not bad, Glamour starts amazing and winds down. Whispers is kind of silly. I don't know if there's anymore out there yet.
>>
>>54794772
1. We agreed NOT to kill them but to heal them and tie them up. That's when he decided to leave. Because we wanted to tie them up instead of apologizing profusely or feeding them cookies or whatever.
2. He was the only one in the party that felt this way. I get "I want to play my character," but at a certain point you need to realize that you're interfering with everyone's enjoyment.
3. The GM actually groaned and said "great, now I need to create motivations for these Kobolds you were supposed to kill."
4. He was a turbo autist who continuously interrupted the gm, interrupted combat by asking mechanical questions about his class during other people's turns, and has zero character backstory.
>>
I am potentially running a CoS game soon, and the group I'm playing with is .. pretty wonky with rules. I hope to be able to help them with that. But, none the less, I'm expecting dead characters.

What I'm curious about doing is having dead characters come right back shortly enough, with no knowledge of how they died, with subtle changes being applied each time. A kind of "with every death, the dark powers claim a bit more of you". Emphasis on being more or less a plaything for the powers that be, sent on a course to play with strahd for them.

"Little changes" would be mutations and other messed up traits starting to accumulate, making them less and less human.

Is this a stupid idea?
>>
>>54794846
>Bladesingers can bladesong things
>>
>>54794938
>Lore Masters can master lore
>>
>>54794938
>Is bladesong a euphemism for blowjobs?
>>
>>54794943
>Theurgists can theurge things
>>
>>54794950

i'm pretty theurgid right now

you know, like turgid? like erect? this would've worked out better vocalized
>>
>>54794889
>>54794919
There's Swords (Revised Subclasses UA) and Satire (Kits of Old).
Swords is a more offensive Valor, it lacks supportive features like Valor's Combat Inspiration.
Satire is literally a jester.
>>
>>54794960
Stop that.
>>
>>54794937
I dig it. You may get players being pissy that you forced a change on their character, so have a chat about how they feel about those sort of things happening, and anything that is a no fly zone, and just make it clear it is something that is part of the campaign.
>>
>>54794430
ggnore is pretty good. Experienced players, the tone is not too serious but not lolrandum, know they rules and they give a good critism of WotC modules they played. They also play some OSR stuff.
>>
>>54793392
go to bed c0re
>>
File: download (1).jpg (14KB, 204x247px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
14KB, 204x247px
>>54793392
was almost baited then i read the part about marking the envelope and kek'd
>>
>>54792171
Life is great for getting cure wounds
>>
>>54794920
1. Yea, sure. I understand there is limit to one's forgiveness.
2. Obviously. You are right, since the premise of DnD is about heroes who fight monsters and take their stuff - the thing is, it is not explicit enough, so it sometimes get overlooked. But again - you are right on this one.
3. This would bother me greatly. First, GM shouldn't reveal what's happening in backstage. It ruins the immersion, at least for me. Second, if they attacked you, they should already have some motivation, if only to "kill them and take their stuff". He can work from that. Having fight for the sake of fight is tabletop equivalent to grinding in MMOs.
4. Well, you didn't mention that before and it seems unrelated to discussed issue. Sorry about the experience, though.
>>
File: 1502153326339.png (1MB, 750x1604px) Image search: [Google]
1502153326339.png
1MB, 750x1604px
>Thought playing a Ranger would be fun
>Favoured enemy, hell yeah!
>Read favoured enemy
>It's just advantage on niche skill checks and nothing else
What the fuck is the point
>>
>>54795128
Thank you for listening. I completely agree about point 3 as well. This is the first time most of the group has played D&D and the first time the DM has been DM, so I suspect things will get better. I'm good friends with everyone there, except the druid, who's a friend of a friend and mostly nice. I hope we can work things out.
>>
>>54795162
To distract you from the fact that a Totem barbarian is a better wilderness ranger, and that a Fighter can out dual wield or archer you any day of the week.
>>
>>54795162
The point is to play the revised ranger UA
>>
>>54795188
>>54795162
They should have just turned ranger into a subclass where it belongs. Same as sorcerer.
>>
>>54795162
pick revised ranger so you can also get +2 dmg against them
>>
>>54795214
I dunno, I think Sorcerer had enough distinctiveness to pass muster. Now Favored Soul- that was a good class to subclass.

Ranger is just a fighter with some druid features. Basically a druidic Eldritch Knight.
>>
File: Just one of those days.jpg (22KB, 235x246px) Image search: [Google]
Just one of those days.jpg
22KB, 235x246px
>>54795211
>>54795230
Well, here's hoping my DM allows UA content then. Actually reading through the Ranger features was the most deflating thing i've done all week.
>>
I've been giving my players way too much money
>>
>>54794430
Frozen Frontier, Shenanigans, Dicing with Death

I'm not watching anything 5e related
>>
>>54794991
Jesters look pretty fun, actually.

>>54795244
Well I was arguing the other day about merging warlock and sorcerer into a single non-wizard-but-still-mage with sorc and warlock as subclasses. Favored Soul subclass isn't even bad for sorcs but the whole basis of what USED to be sorcerers got gutted and they haven't covered their ass much in new core features.

Rangers were always a glorified multiclass though.
>>
>>54795269
what do you even do with money in 5e?
>>
File: POWERS CHECK.pdf (139KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
POWERS CHECK.pdf
139KB, 1x1px
>>54794937
I did that. Earlier editions of Ravenloft did it too.

Try this I made from old edition. Death could be auto gain of stage
>>
>>54795269
You know what that means, anon

bandits
>>
>>54792974
yes
>>
>>54795452
double down, tax collectors
>>
How hard would it be to pull off the 'I'm your real dad/mom' twist in this day and age?

>Raised peacefully by a single parent
>Parent killed by mysterious intruders who overwhelmed former adventuring parent
>Only lead to their death is a name that appears in their journals

And the idea being that the perpetrator is actually the other parent who didn't know until too late due to making their entrance after the minions finish the 'enemy' off, or not recognizing their (disguised) former lover. If they ever recognize their child, they'll probably try to beg forgiveness and recruit their kid, quit out of guilt, or even change sides. The important part is that they really did care about their lover and their kid, but they just weren't sure how to resolve that with being a career criminal/evil mastermind and separated for the other two's safety.

I know I'll have to ask the player if they're okay having their parentage be a secret, but if you were a player, would this development be cool or stupid?
>>
>>54793354
>basically the world's level of danger is close enough to reality that players only find fights if they start them
you don't know what you're talking about. In ye olde times, there was always a war on somewhere, a baron extorting travelers somewhere, some robber posing as a baron extorting travelers somewhere and some outlaws hiding in the woods that need to be hunted down.
>>
>>54794772
> i feel good character is morally obliged to expend at least certain amount of care even for his enemies
bullshit. The kobolds could have surrendered, you know? The sign usually accepted a meaning 'sorry, I fucked up, please leave me in peace and I'll fuck off'
If they fight to the death, death they deserve
>>
>>54794772
>>54795670
the difference between a domesticated and a feral animal. Just remember every wild "sentient" you spare lives on to kill two or more people because thats what they do.
>>
>>54795279
>Well I was arguing the other day about merging warlock and sorcerer into a single non-wizard-but-still-mage with sorc and warlock as subclasses
Nah

Warlock is a mage counterpart to a rogue

Sorcerer is a different type of mage

the two have nothing in common beyond being an arcane caster that isn't a wizard, but they fucked up the warlock so that isn't obvious.
>>
>>54795695
>Just remember every wild "sentient" you spare lives on to kill two or more people because thats what they do
Absolutely, which is why my LN Fighter executes all Goblins and directs all kobolds to atonement by forced labor according to the kings law. But a good character might argue otherwise, provided the enemy actually surrendered. If they didn't, there's literally no (moral) reason to keep them alive.
There's plenty of practical or amoral reasons though
>>
Everybody always talks about how much better the revised ranger is, but frankly I don't see it? Maye I'm overlooking something, but isn't revised favored enemy still a complete non-issue?
>>
>>54794991
>Satire is literally a jester.
Satire gets a bunch of really powerful abilities, just none of them are gamebreaking. I'd say it's on Lore's level just for all the different amazing shit it gives.
>>
>>54795770
Try reading the fucking thing
>>
>>54795770
Original Ranger was fine, if a little on the weak side. Original Beastmaster was terrible.

Revised Ranger gives them a small boost to combat and utility that is nice enough to make them pretty good. Revised Beastmaster is good.

Really Beastmaster was the main issue, but they redid the whole Ranger a little better.
>>
>>54795770
You get more usable features and you get them earlier. You are less restricted based on terrain and what you're fighting. Your capstone is actually useful. Beast ranger is actually pretty good overall, with better survivability but slightly less damage than PHB ranger.
>>
>>54795698
I understand what warlock comes off as but the fact is... you could have a subclass of some generalized class that is ALSO a non-wizard rogue-alike. There's not enough core mechanics inside the warlock class to fill out an entire superclass same as Sorc. Doesn't mean they'd exist in their current iterations just that they're both lacking and some common mechanics could be found between them.
>Non-Wizard Mage: General
>Get spells known from common spell list
>Pick a subclass with various metamagics

>Non-Wizard Mage: Bladelock
>Half* spell slots
>Feat list with metamagics extends your Pact Weapon

>Non-Wizard Mage: Tomelock
>choose Boon w/ pact
>Half spell slots, ritual spellbook w/ freebies
>Feat list with metamagics that ?????
I don't know what tomelocks get for invocations

>Non-wizard mage: Chainlock
>NORMAL spell slots
>feat list has specific FAMILIAR extending metamagics

>Non-Wizard Mage: Sorcerer
>Normal Spell Slots
>Choose SP w/ general spell metamagics

>Non-wizard Mage: Favored Soul
>Normal Spell slots w/ cleric spell list
>Deity as pact, general metamagics

Fixed, ish pending review.

>>54795749
My ideal for one of my characters was to perma-Geas all of the little amoral creatures into serving his deity.
>>
>>54795784
>Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy commonly encountered in the wilds. Choose a type of favored enemy: beasts, fey, humanoids, monstrosities, or undead. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures of the chosen type. Additionally, you have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice, typically one spoken by your favored enemy or creatures associated with it. However, you are free to pick any language you wish to learn.

>At 6th level, you are ready to hunt even deadlier game. Choose a type of greater favored enemy: aberrations, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fiends, or giants.You gain all the benefits against this chosen enemy that you normally gain against your favored enemy, including an additional language. Your bonus to damage rolls against all your favored enemies increases to +4. Additionally, you have advantage on saving throws against the spells and abilities used by a greater favored enemy.

So what?

>>54795795
>>54795791
Ah ok, hadn't looked at beastmaster, these makes sense, thanks.
>>
>>54795796
>There's not enough core mechanics inside the warlock class to fill out an entire superclass same as Sorc
That's where I disagree. They could have easily implemented something akin to the old eldritch blast modifiers of 3.5, have it apply to your pact weapon or EBs.
Honestly, I understand why they wanted EB to be a cantrip, but that was a stupid decision.
>>
>>54795808
>You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures of the chosen type
>Your bonus to damage rolls against all your favored enemies increases to +4. Additionally, you have advantage on saving throws against the spells and abilities used by a greater favored enemy

It's right fucking there dude. These features are god damn amazing
>>
>>54795772
Satire seems to physical shit what lore is to mental shit. Their ability to postpone failures is almost like another form of jack of all trades, plus that acrobatics thing is fucking cool.

>>54795831
What I mostly mean by that is that Warlock is the BONUS FEAT class. They can call them invocations but they're really just feats. Sorcerers have METAMAGIC but they're really similar to some of the warlock feats so you have a lot of overlap in there. They could condense easily even if some bits and pieces would inevitably get left out. I also skipped some of the sorc subclasses but the template fits no matter what.

>This class has special snowflake features, every subclass basically has its own feat list to modify general spells or a single specific Boon

It's all the edge cases into one class under a single core mechanic.
>>
What warlocks need is to have all of their invocations be at will. None of that daily shit.
>>
>>54795909
They'll stop being Eldritch Blast turrets and become Fear/Slow/conjure elemental casters
>>
>>54795909
Would you accept... Quickened? Unified Sorclock is the true path. If you grab-bag that combined feat list it would be simple as shit.
>>
>>54795933
But it means they'll have more viable options, rather than constantly spamming one attack.

>>54795934
Please elaborate.
>>
>>54796017
I was just saying that if you say Sorcerer Points are a Sorcerer/Warlock Boon with metamagics you've got things that are the practical equivalent of your at-will invocations or the permanent-invocations that exist currently. Most invocations take the form of a spell at-will or a Spell Extended Duration (or permanent).

Would that be much different from just having the sorcerer metamagics to apply to them...? I think the warlock stuff is incredibly specific but being a Bonus Feat grab bag class has its place in 5e. If you could create some combination of spell lists/spell slots/metamagics tailored to completely EXACTLY replace an invocation but also improve its generalization it would be an overall class improvement.

It would require juggling a lot of stuff to keep it balanced similarly though.
>>
>>54796083
Not him.
>If you could create some combination of spell lists/spell slots/metamagics tailored to completely EXACTLY replace an invocation but also improve its generalization
So, instead of having detect magic at will and understand all writing, have something like "expended 1 sorcery point to cast a 1st level divination spell from sorcerer spell list? (comprehend languages, detect magic)
>>
>>54796118
Something like that, yeah. I think the metamagics could even be boosted even stronger if they were part of a more warlock-styled feature limited class. Especially if you're getting fewer spell slots as a subclass option you could empower those spells you DO have even further so quickened could MAYBE get down to at-will instead of Bonus Action. Warlocks aren't casters but what IS in their list they are great at.

If you take the full number of spell slots ala Sorcerer w/ SP (as a Boon) then you don't get as much benefit from those metamagics but instead get the larger spell slots. Something along that kind of balance could work and be more-general to fit both classes.

Hell, maybe one of your Bonus Feats (invocations) would be individual metamagics. Say you don't need Heightened or Twinned you don't have to take those invocation/metamagics and grab something along some other path.
>>
>>54796118
>>54796164
Anyway as much as I believe this is completely possible and almost certainly would be a benefit to both classes.... I haven't detailed any of it and taking it at face value will almost guarantee cheese without tweaking every single little word of fine print. I have not personally gone through and worked out what needs to be done to keep it together but you can see which of the Warlock invocations directly line up with Metamagics so it's not a massive leap. Maybe someday I'll work out some homebrew or maybe 6E will do it for me.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJhu5jFwW

I made a Slime race.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54796409
First, you should go look at your life very hard, Then delete this, and realize that making a slime race makes you trash.
>>
File: 1500406221846.png (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1500406221846.png
1MB, 1200x900px
>>54796409
>large size
>racial hit die
>"acidic"
>slime race
>>
>>54796409
Overpowered as fuck. Props for not making it fetishy or using a porn picture though. I even kinda like the "gains sapience via digestion" idea.

Mechanically, entirely trash through. What made you think racial hit die where a good idea? Or large size, despite being roughly human sized in the description? Hell, the grappling bonus alone is powerful as fuck, let alone with all the other stuff.
>>
For a druid entering wild shape, it says that any equipment can be absorbed, worn, or discarded. Is that an all or nothing choice, or can you be selective in what merges, is worn, or drops?

To be specific, could you slip out of bindings/manacles without losing all your shit?
>>
Has anyone played this? What does everyone think of it?

http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf
>>
>>54796668
Looks shit just from the first table. Every level gives it more and more shit I'm amazed they could fit ASIs in.
>>
>>54796645
I'd assume yes
>>
>>54793392
How come posts like these never present a system that does what the system they're criticizing does but better?
>>
>>54796761
cause they're bait
>>
>>54792854
>>54792175
Explain to me like im retarded.
>>
>>54793832
RP asking their characters for their opinions, if you're the face you might as well be the leader while you're at it.
>>
>>54792301
Leon, easy.
>>
>>54796763
You right.
>>
Anyone have experience playing a mounted fighter? Playing my first DND campaign and I want to primarily become a mounted knight. Thinking of eventually equipping myself with plate, sword, shield, lance and a barded warhorse. How would such a character fare in combat?
>>
>>54792175
>>54796766
I think he meant to write "he pretended THEY didn't exist", because that revised class options UA is still on the dnd homepage and there have been two (poorly-received) UAs since.
>>
File: 1487100426938.gif (980KB, 400x351px) Image search: [Google]
1487100426938.gif
980KB, 400x351px
I was looking to play a banneret fighter in my next game, is there anything i should know beforehand?
>>
>>54796825
It works well /if/ you're prone to fighting in areas where horses are able to be. If you DM lives his caves, and temples and dungeons and such, mostly like a good investment of gold and such
>>
Why are the transferred rune items plain worse then just using the rune?

SKT btw
>>
>>54796869
>banneret fighter
?
>>
>>54796892
Purple Dragon Fighter.

>>54796869
It sucks, or so I hear.
>>
>>54796882

Is switching weapons from a lance to a sword awkward in gameplay terms?
>>
File: Jekyll.png (845KB, 655x930px) Image search: [Google]
Jekyll.png
845KB, 655x930px
I'm looking to make a kind of Jekyll and Hyde style alchemist, does anyone know how I could do it? is there an official design page? Or a balanced(ish) homebrew one?
>>
What's the roll in parenthesis beside the creature's HP in MM and VGtM for?
>>
>>54796918
Drop & Draw should be at most a bonus action.
>>
>>54796938
Are you referring specifically to the science-y angle, or the split personality angle?

For the former, Artifice, though it's just tossing potions about. For the later, reflavor barbarian so that your rage is the transition.

Or, if you have a cool dm, actually have 2 characters sheets for each half that you alternate between.
>>
>>54796947
Those are its hit dice
>>
>>54796966
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>54796918
RAW you cannot put your lance away, draw your sword and attack all in the same turn though a lot of DM's would probably allow it, or at least let you drop your lance on the ground and hit a dude with your long sword.
RAW, yes a bit clunky, but talk to your DM and might be alright.
>>
>>54796967
Lol, which monster were you looking at?
>>
>>54792370
>Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it

Dumb cunt
>>
>>54796961
2 character sheets? that is an amazing idea, thanks i'll look into it.
What about if I wanted him to be like a certain big guy? as in using drugs to buff himself up
>>
>>54796869
It's pretty bad, I highly recommend being a Knight or Battlemaster with the ally helping abilities over it.

If your heart's set though, then just try to have fun.
>>
How do i challenge my players in lizard folk territory?
>>
>>54797023
How the fuck are we supposed to know when we don't know how many players you have or at what level they're at?
>>
>>54797023
Now this might sound crazy but what if you send lizardfolk after them
>>
>>54797023
swamp environment damage, underwater challenges
>>
>>54797031
>>54797060
They're a group of 5 and still only level 4.

I was just wondering if anyone had ideas for vietcong style traps or encounters etc.
>>
>>54797023
I had hard terrain and lizardmen with poisoned arrows hiding in the reeds.
>>
>>54797148
Weeeeell you could have a bunch of lizardmen flee over an area... which is a covered pittrap just thin enough to give out under the weight of a man in plate, but not an unarmored lizardman.

You could have the jungle be riddled with tunnels just small enough to crawl prone through- Lizardmen popping up from nowhere.

You could have the lizardmen provoke a local unintelligent threat, like a pack of trolls, and then lead them directly to the PCs.
>>
File: 1502133888562.gif (2MB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1502133888562.gif
2MB, 420x420px
>>54797218
Definitely stealing these, love the last one.

Thanks anon
>>
What kind of rules / rulings can you implement to not make Int such a dump stat? Similar to how the anon from last thread gave Str a boost in damage.
>>
>>54797218
>>54797298
i never ever ever considered monsters ever starting a stampede at my PCs before. Good show.
>>
File: Warlord class.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Warlord class.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
opinions?
>>
For the pact of the blade warlock, an easy solution would be to give them the option of choosing fighting styles, adding to the current wording.
>>
Alright, me and a friend are building a villain group based around the old seven deadly sins trope. We also want to tie in elements of yakuza shit based on back tattoos and making pacts with demons for power. Here's what we got.

Pride - Oni - Demon
Wrath - Barlgura - Gorilla
Sloth - Bone Devil - Skeleton
Gluttony - Nalfeshnee - Boar
Lust - Marilith - Snake
Envy - Vrock - Birds
Greed - Rakshasa?- Tiger

Pride - one of the PCs (gets asked to join the bad guys)
Wrath - Warchief of some raiding army
Sloth - Religious figure? Subverts things to get people worshipping him.
Gluttony - Gambler/lord/all around decadence
Lust - Madame or slave trader? Deals in pleasures of the flesh
Envy - Half-Elf lordling/prince obsessed with being better than everyone out of spite rather than personal development.
Greed - hoarder of all things, in particular knowledge.

Ideas? Thoughts? Feedback? Hit me.
>>
File: Bloch-SermonOnTheMount.jpg (567KB, 1377x1545px) Image search: [Google]
Bloch-SermonOnTheMount.jpg
567KB, 1377x1545px
>>54795670
I am not going to argue about DnD morality, but i was raised in Christian family and Christianity teaches us to love our enemies and to turn the other cheek. When it comes to determining what is good thing to do, i still remember those lessons. That is why i believe good character should exert at least some effort to not kill his enemies.
>>
>>54797472
sounds cool
>>
>>54797345
One more skill proficiency in class skill/tool/language per +1 in Intelligence?
>>
File: Arcanaloth-5e.png (149KB, 278x300px) Image search: [Google]
Arcanaloth-5e.png
149KB, 278x300px
>>54797472
I'm not too sure about greed-Rakshasa. The D&D Rakshasa would probably be best fitted as Pride, and the original ones probably as Wrath.

As for greed and hoarding knowledge aspect - perhaps an Arcanaloth?
>>
>>54797510
But because the afterlife exists, killing someone doesn't actually do them any harm in itself; it just sends them to their just reward or punishment.

Kill them all, Anon. God will know His own.
>>
I've been DMing since April, and I feel like I'm doing ok, but one thing I can't seem to do is...be mean to my players. I don't think that I need to necessarily play against my players, but I constantly find myself pulling my punches.

For example, in one of my most recent sessions, one of the players trapped themselves in a cage (as in they stepped in and shut the door behind them) while in combat, and I didn't have the enemy take them out. In the same session, the party's ranger went down TWICE and I didn't have any of the enemy combatants attack him while he was unconscious. In the previous session, another player jumped into a vat of unknown contents AFTER he poured a bottle of acid into the vat and its contents.

I really want to start giving these things the weighted consequences that they deserve but I just can't force myself to do so
>>
So I'm playing a Gothic Horror campaign a la Ravenloft and I'm playing a Paladin (very lawful good/justice focussed). The wizard of the party who is going for a gypsy vibe has decided to take a necromancer speciality after checking with the other players if that was okay. He is gonna make an effort to keep his necromancy 'secret'

Now, any tips how I should play with this? We agreed that the potential for conflict is interesting, but I don't want this become a full PvP campaign. Ignoring it completely seems like a wasted opportunity.

Or in other words, how do you deal with party members with incompatible worldviews?
>>
>>54797633
Do it, Anon. In the end your players will appreciate the game more for it. Intelligent foes with battle experience surely know that healing magic can bring someone instantly from 0 HP to full fighting ability unless you make sure they're dead. So they'll bring down the healer first if they can, and if they bring down someone other than the healer they'll kick him hard while he's down until they're sure he's dead. They may even attack him some more after he's dead because they can't see the exact moment he expires.
>>
>>54797636
Seconding this, I'm a druid, and a player in party is thinking of vampire multiclass. Currently I'm thinking that I could justify vampire as undead who did not die THEN came back (that is, breaking nature's cycle), but if he tries to raise anyone I'm definitely putting a stop to that. Also on the list preparing Sunray as soon as possible and always having it, his morale buff not working on me.
>>
>>54797691
I'm not afraid in the slightest. At this point I think 1 hit and burning all my smites will kill him immediatly. And the party comp is

> Me, Paladin
> Cleric, same god/order
> Half orc Rogue
> Gypsy wizard

Story-wise the rogue and wizard are 'prisoner/servants' of the cleric and the paladin as a repentance for their crime. The cleric has been hanging out the wizard a few too many times, picking up some vices and bad hobbies from him (drinking, smoking, etc.)

I'm mostly curious after other people's experiences running these kind of parties where conflict is very possible.
>>
>>54797731
Well I am worried about possible battle, but I'm more interested in RP too. Preparing Sunray just also works as "I'm watching you and if there's something wrong, I'll be there".
>>
>>54797633
>>54797680
I dunno, i always leave downed PCs be, since they are not immediate threat. At least until healer raise him up first time.
>>
>>54797758
They are one bonus action away from being an immediate threat again. Some monsters don't know that, but some do, and you should play them accordingly. If a particular NPC is supposed to be fairly intelligent and battle-hardened, it strains suspension of disbelief to play him as though he's never seen a Healing Word before.
>>
Cool starting traits for humans to choose from in a human only setting?
I stole some race traits like Lucky and Relentless Endurance, but that's all I got right now.
>>
>>54797862
why would you do that when you have human variant feat start?
>>
>>54797894
Because I want to do something different besides the feat
>>
>>54797862
If you suspend your disbelief a little more, you could just have players pick a regular race and refluff it to human. They've just always had good sight at night from birth. Things may get a bit ridiculous if somebody picks a dragonorn though.
>>
>>54797945
Then how about you use races? You can call them all humans though if you're desperate to be different.
>>
>>54797862
Just refluff other races as humans.
>>
>>54797977
My group and I already agreed only to use humans. It was a thematic choice, I'm running a greek inspired setting where humans are the norm and monsters are monstruous. Also I plan on having no elves, dwarves or any other standart race on this setting.
Calling them humans might be ok, tho, once I get rid of the darkvision.
>>
>>54798035
Theme has nothing to do with shit homebrew mechanics. Getting rid of darkvision would make 5E better on the whole though, that should be just a flat house rule.
>>
>>54798035
Is there /any/ DM who likes darkvision? I'm beginning to think it's the most hated mechanic in the game among those who DM on a regular basis
>>
>>54798148
yeah, it's basically unanimous hive mind.
>>
>>54798148
I can live with darkvision if everybody has it. Mixed parties trigger me. Darkvision-less game would be nice but I don't hate it enough to houserule it away.
>>
File: jesus.png (381KB, 1380x511px) Image search: [Google]
jesus.png
381KB, 1380x511px
>>54797510
>>
>>54798188
It wouldn't be so bad if it were rarer, mixed parties SO mixed is a huge hassle. it's going to be like 70% of your party having it instead of like 2 guys who may or may not be scouty classes.
>>
>>54798200
Did you deliberately shrink that image to spite us?
>>
What would be a good set of concepts for a campaign based around fighting a plague? It kind of takes the threat away when certain classes are immune to disease or can just cure it like it's nothing.
>>
>>54798200
Was waiting to see how long it took for someone to post this. Good job, fella.
>>
How balanced are feats in comparison to each other?
>>
>>54798434
Poorly.
>>
>>54798434
The feats aren't well balanced against each other, but 5e isn't set out to be a super balanced system.
>>
File: LaughingAnimeGirls.gif (5MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingAnimeGirls.gif
5MB, 480x270px
>>54797510
>believing in God
>>
>>54798461
>>54798479
Shame.
>>
>>54798434

Poorly, there are only a few useless ones and there's a good volume of flavor/niche feats but GWM, PAM, SS, etc. are basically taxes that martials have to pay in order to be viable
>>
>>54798700
>>54798434
I can't tell if I like or hate the stat boosting feats. I only roll for stats so being able to cover my ass is nice BUT then you have the MUST HAVE feats which I do not like. I don't mind the GWM/PAM/SS because martials seem really reliant on that shit.... but they should have level requirements.
>>
>>54798700
I've played since the playtest, and I've never seen one of my players use GWM or SS, or complain about how useless they feel compared to other classes
>>
>>54798700
>falling for the GWM/PAM/XBE/SS meme
Martials have never needed those combos to blow casters out on DPR.
>>
File: never_forget.jpg (27KB, 455x319px) Image search: [Google]
never_forget.jpg
27KB, 455x319px
>>54797218
>>
>>54798417
Maybe you're not sick, and maybe your handful of best friends can be cured with your magic, but what is that in the grand scheme of things? A drop in the bucket, practically nothing. Society is collapsing all around you. The common folk are revolting against the churches who don't have enough magic for everyone, thus making the problem worse. The unburied dead are walking the earth in vast hordes, spreading plague and feasting on those who don't succumb. The humanoid races are all blaming each other, quarantining their cities and banishing or hanging any "outside" races. Meanwhile, the forces of evil see this as the perfect opportunity to strike while everyone else is weak.
>>
>>54796409
I like the concept, although I'd be tempted to move it away from specifically being a slime. Which probably makes about as much sense as saying "in my setting, elves live underground, drink beer, and use axes instead of bows", but the idea of a monster that has an echo of a dead person inside it is interesting to me. This sort of thing could work for a revenant as well, or a specific sort of undead that rises when someone's soul is destroyed. A confused aimless undead rather than a deliberately animated zombie servitor.

High constitution makes sense for something defined by being animate despite already being mostly destroyed. You might leave the bonus to toughness at just that. Regardless, if you want to give the creature more HP, you should word the effect more like the Tough feat. Nothing in 5e so far changes your hit dice, so it's worth avoiding that in your homebrew.

Blindsight is a bit tricky for GMs to handle, so I'd remove it for a PC race. I can understand why you want it, but it's like a race with a natural flight speed; it requires a lot of extra work at every stage of running the game, in ways that aren't immediately obvious.

Adjustable size is and the ability to fit into tiny spaces is tricky, but less so than Blindsight. Again, I'd be tempted to fit this into existing mechanics. Maybe remove the Large option and change the bonus to "advantage on checks to escape bonds or squeeze into spaces". You do want to keep something mechanical for this area, though. Otherwise you're missing the flavour of the slime race and you might as well not bother. (Not that the same concept couldn't fit a less gelatinous race.)

I'm not sure how Acidic Arms would work in play, but it's probably OK. It'd have the most effect at level 1 since its damage doesn't scale, and at level 1 players are unlikely to have accumulated all the bonuses that would enable them to maximise their grapple rolls.
>>
So /5eg/. I like the lethality of low-tier 5E (levels 1-4). I like that the spells aren't completely ridiculous at that level and cantrips aside and how you're maybe gonna have half a dozen to use in a day. I like the more low-to-mid fantasy monsters that crop up in encounters designed for this grouping.

However at the same time I feel like with a couple of front-loaded exceptions aside, locking people to level 4 removes a lot of cool options and versatility.

I was thinking of implementing a system into my houserules where players build their characters for the most part like normal level 1 characters and progress up to 4, but get 5 levels worth of features each time they do (ex: at level 1, your fighter gets Fighting Style, Second Wind, Action Surge, their Archetype, an ASI, and Extra Attack).

Your HD, HP, and the spells you can access and how many you cast in a day would be the same: for Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster style half-casters, I'm thinking they could get their cantrips right away and then progress to their spells at 3rd and 4th level. Things keyed to your class level (such as HP recovered by Second Wind) would stay the same based on your level, and things like scaling damage (looking at cantrips here) would still use your base four levels. I figure to make things fun your proficiency bonus would improve by +1/level, so at level 4 you're rocking a PB of +5.

What abilities might I need to prune out or swap if I do this? I know I'd need to heavily modify or outright replace the Warlock's Mystic Arcanum. I'm sure some of the other spellcasting-related issues would need to be addressed. Any other iommediate flags you see that I might have to contend with?
>>
>>54795605
Bump.
>>
>>54796409
Remove large, make it medium or small.
Give small the ability to squeeze through small spaces, and give medium the dissolve power and acid arms/skin/etc
>>
>>54799131
Access to spells need to be quickened as well, or the casters are getting totally crippled.
I never got at higher levels, but aren't most 1st level spell essentially cantrips for you as well, somewhere around 11th?

Fighter get second attack at 5th, wizards get fireball. Fighter get third attack at 11th, wizards get chainlighting. Limiting one, but not the other will change the power balance drastically.

Maybe just house rule everyone getting half the HP after certain level? Or maybe only the Con modifier.?
>>
>>54799131
I'm about 80% sure this is bait, or are you literally advocating for absolutely neutering every single spellcaster in the system by removing six spell levels from them, while simultaneously smiling sagely as you watch Fighters blow ten attacks in one round?
>>
How reasonable is to have over 25 siblings?
>>
>>54799491
1-2 is like apprentice levels. 3 is (subclass) Name Level as they used to say.
5-6 is where adventurers start being considered 'supernatural'
maybe 9-10 is where midlevels peak so you could take on some Serious BBEG type threats without a lot of assistance.
11+ is where shit gets silly, I mean it's well below demi-god but harder to deal with 'mundane' non-planar event type events.

5-9 is my favorite playing range.
>>
>>54799541
Is your dad just someone that goes around impregnating all the common folk?
>>
>>54793392
PSA: if you see some post in the future that says "Merals", know that it was written by the same fuckwit who vomited this bitchfest onto your screen.
>>
>Playing a grave cleric
>It's better to knock someone out after a fight if they are low on health because the healing would be maxed out
>>
>>54799682

Tiefling mother who is very long long lived and remains young and fertile.
>>
>>54799717
Think of it as applying anesthetic.
>>
>>54799746
I'm getting magical realm vibes from this anon.
>>
>>54799541
Not. Whatever reason you're doing this, and I'm sure is probably a sex thing, just back away now, Anon.
>>
>>54799492
>are you literally advocating for absolutely neutering every single spellcaster in the system
Isn't that like 10 out of 12 classes by now?
>>
How do you make daggers not suck /tg/?

I want to make a duel dagger rogue build, but I feel that 1d4, even with my +4, is just horrid.

I jumped in to a buddy's game last night just for fun, and even with sneak attacks going off I was doing far less dps than everybody else.
>>
>>54799766

I have no plans for incestual tieflings, if that's what you are thinking.
>>
>>54799541
Only if you come from a short - gestation race.
>>54799746
Why not just make her a devil in that case?
>>
>>54799818
Rogues just dont do much damage unless you are using melee cantrips
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 736x814px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 736x814px
How good is battle rager? Assuming no dwarf restriction
>>
>>54799877
Could manage it with only like.... 3-4 wives. Depending on gestation, of course.
>>
>>54799918

I guess that a father purate could buy his own tiefling harem from the old empire.
>>
>>54799818
Daggers are probably mean more as utility weapon, than high-damage one. It's light, finesse and thrown - especially as rogue you can benefit from having it having all these - since most of your damage is not supposed to be from weapon dice, but from sneak attack.

You probably shouldn't pick dagger as your primary weapon if you aim to go to frontline. anyway-
>>
>>54800014
>>54799818
Daggers are also essentially tools. Anything but a high-security area will let you carry them without a second glance. Concealable, too. It makes sense from a first-strike kind of concept but they are literally NOT martial. Not for war. I wish there was more throwing options in 5E, then maybe daggers would have serious build options.

I personally staves in 5E if I'm going that route.
>>
>>54800085
The way I see it, most rogues who aren't complete minmaxers can afford to just use a dagger if they want to and think it's cool (at least after the first few levels).
Eventually, the damage die of rogue attacks becomes virtually meaningless. It's not like there's a huge difference between 1d8+5+5d6 and 1d4+5+5d6.
>>
>>54799541
The only reason to have more than a few siblings is if you have 21 and each of you represents a card of the major arcana.
Or if your father is a literal monarch, but no DM in their right mind would allow this sort of character.

>>54799889
Not every rogue player wants to be a magician. Even if melee cantrips are objectively the best mechanical choice, that consideration will never apply to every player.
>>
>>54799889
>>54800014
>>54800085

Fair enough, Ta mates.
>>
>>54798200
>>54797510
The problem with both all these lines of thinking is that Christianity of either stripe isn't in D&D. Exactly what Good or religious characters are expected to do depends on the specifics of your setting and deities (ex., in FR there are Good deities with different views on when you may trash someone and how far you can go).

On the whole, though, the idea that Good PCs should at least try not to kill their enemies is the correct one. Killing shit is the easiest thing you can do, short of not showing up to a fight to begin with. Good isn't supposed to be the easy way out. Good is hard, and bludgeoning everyone into submission, showing mercy, potentially being betrayed, roping guys up and risking their escape, carting them back to town to face legal judgment is time-consuming, you don't get to keep all their shit, and there's always the possibility that they return to their evil ways later. People talk about challenge in D&D a lot and trying to RP "hard" characters and not cheese everything, but being a dick who stabs everyone who's a problem is the laziest thing you can do.

The big problem with both kinds of play rests in the DM's lap, though. Too many DMs (who are going for a game where these things are factors, with players who play along) fail to PROPERLY include reward and consequence. In settings where Good and Evil are akin to elemental forces and the Gods of both are active in the world, we should expect (un)righteous action to attract the attention of those powerful forces, as well as their mortal adherents. Mercy shouldn't be rewarded with betrayal 100% of the time, not every creature should fight to the death (or want to fight to begin with), and most legal systems should prefer apprehension to vigilante murder. In the same way that the Law gets pissy when you take things into your own hand, so do the force of heavenly Good if you slaughter souls who have the potential for change and doom them to service in Hell.
>>
>>54800164

>no DM in their right mind would allow this sort of character.

What about Dwarves and Elves? Also, it's not like people couldnt have over 13 pregnancies with 6 reaching adulthood.
>>
>>54800164
Well if you think really hard about nobility even the most distantly related little shit is SOMEWHERE in the line of succession.
>212th in line for the throne
>Maneuvering his way up throughout the campaign
>All downtime spent on diplomacy, intrigue, and assassination

That would be a pretty great character, really fills out that "Build Reputation" option in the downtime RAW.
>>
>>54798200
I won't argue with the translations, but I've yet to see a credible source actually corroborate all those claims about Roman culture that Jesus was ostensibly referencing. Until I do, I'll assume he was telling people to act with love and kindness.

>>54800195
Dwarves and Elves, by necessity, breed very infrequently. The necessity is 100% metagamey and balance-related, but it's still there. Otherwise they would vastly outnumber humans, which is not an assumption in almost any published setting.

>>54800206
Technically true for anyone with the Noble background in a typical European setting; I would have no issue with this. Just don't be the literal child of a king.
>>
Has anyone here played as, or in a party with, a paladin of redemption or monk of tranquility? Those subclasses seem anti-fun to anyone in the group who enjoys combat
>>
>>54800304

>The necessity is 100% metagamey and balance-related, but it's still there.

Come on, anon. We can do bettet. Im sure we can come up with reasons. Food is an easy one. Dwarves living in fortress or elves who refuse to farm, for example.
>>
>>54800399
Not everything you fight is going to be some sapient, moral creature. There are hags that you can kick the shit out of, various monsters from the far realm, lower planar outsiders, weird mutant animals, fey, non-native elementals, and so on.

Even then, you can beat the shit out of everything, just don't kill it.
>>
>>54800436
>Most elves and dwarves are permanently malnourished
IDK, that doesn't sound great either.
I prefer incredibly long gestation periods (2-5 years, depending on life span), meaning there's a pretty huge disincentive to popping out children. At best, even a person from a long-lived species would only want to go through that a few times in their life.
>>
>>54800485
The only real issue I see with it is the character wanting to try at be diplomatic in any situation where they can be, which removes opportunity for ambushing enemies
>>
>>54793314
Holy fuck that's an incredible picture
>>
How do you handle a group of monsters firing a volley of arrows or spears at a group of adventurers from afar, or vice versa?
>>
>>54800164
My grandmother on my dad's side had 19 children. Very old rural southern family.
>>
>>54800304
>>54800436
You only need to take a look at real world human society to see why people fuck and have tons of kids. The primary motivations are: biological urge, fun, the need for help with the family business or perpetuating the line, and a need to be cared for when they are old and infirm.

The sex drive of other races can be lower than humans in a setting. More than that, their fertility can be lower, too. Dwarves in FR, historically, were rather barren on the female side, something only recently corrected lore-wise.
Sex and the joy that children bring are often the only happiness in the life of some poor fucking peasant. When the peasants aren't peasants or poor, children stop being fun and start getting in the way. One of the surest ways to lower the fertility of a culture is to increase its wealth; people who have money to pamper themselves and chase experiences don't want kids in the way of that.
And for the latter two, economies and cultures where the old can be cared for outside the immediate family (government / religious / charitable programs, extended relations, a clan structure) and the general health of a community is high enough that most children survive to adulthood, there's little need to reproduce constantly to ensure that you have 2.5 kids reaching breeding age; you can stop right at 3.

Dwarves and Elves are, in general, richer and more united than Humans in a setting like Forgotten Realms. They don't need to fuck like rabbits like the stupid humans.
>>
>>54800567
easiest ways to do it would be copy conjure barrage and change the area of effect and damage accordingly or ranger volley attack with a bigger radius
>>
>>54800513

Im sure that wise and experienced long-lived races can figured out when another child is one too many.
>>
>>54800595
I had a buddy with like twelve siblings so I asked if his mom was a slut or just Catholic
>>
>>54800667
>be a greedy Gold Dwarf
>have personal savings greater than several human kings
>oh no, mom's pregnant again
>there goes another part of my inheritence
>lemme just slip some shit into this tea
>and my dad's tea while we're at it
>>
>>54795413
Thanks anon
>>
>>54800559
I unironically adore the implication that his eyes are directed at the corpse he's using as a model.

>>54800634
Much of what you say about fertility is good points and possibly useful in worldbuilding.
I think you're a bit off on the peasant side (not the effects, but the causes). Sex is fun, sure. But children? Children are a BITCH. They are NOT fun for the first several years of their life, no matter how much you love them. The primary reason peasants had so many is high infant mortality and the need for farmhands.
The reason rising wealth reduces fertility is because people who aren't farmers don't need to make a bunch of children; they become more of a financial liability than a financial boon. Also reduction in child mortality, which you did mention.

Are dwarves and elves slower to reproduce because of wealth? That's debatable. Wood elves/wild elves are rarely depicted as a culture with a high material standard of living; they're essentially fancy hunter-gatherers. And yet they also breed much slower than humans, so I maintain that some biological difference must be the cause.
>>
>>54800823

Wood elves can be justified because farming allows you to feed bigger populations.
>>
>>54800823
What Humans and (Wood) Elves consider "wealth" differs. For all races, it's "the resources I need to do the things I want to do".

If you live in a capitalist Human or Dwarf society, what you want to do is live in an impressive house, wear nice clothing, go to fancy parties, take vacations to exotic locales, and have people wait on you hand and foot, and you're gonna need cash money to get it done.
Fortunately for Dwarves, they are way, waaay better at this than Humans.

If you're a Wood Elf, your idea of a fantastic time is chilling out on a large tree branch and playing the flute for your forest critter friends in between shooting orcs in the face; you just need some sticks and berries. You can be much poorer than a Human in terms of material wealth, but that wealth is not what your culture uses to have "fun".
>>
>>54800823
>Children are a BITCH. They are NOT fun for the first several years of their life, no matter how much you love them
You need to talk to some more moms, or just be near them. They'll all agree that children aren't fun, but they're biologically hardwired to never shut the fuck up about kids. My co-worker recently got back from her maternity leave and if she tries to show me one more baby picture in between bitching about baby poop, I'm gonna tip a channel rack of piping-hot strudel onto her face.
>>
>>54800911
Fair enough. But I still doubt that "fun" and child-bearing have much to do with each other.

>>54800942
Believe me, I know how excited people get about their kids. I'm dating a nanny. But I don't think peasants popped out children as a fun diversion, because raising children is a lot of hard work in addition to the fun bits. They popped out children because they needed cheap labor. Or because their parents wanted grandchildren, probably.
>>
>>54794749
That actually makes a good bit of sense.

Time to write some goliath culture bois.
>>
>>54794749
They had an Inca/Mayan/Aztec thing going on at some point
Wish they kept up with that since now they're just basically
>I want STR and CON but don't want to be short bearded alcoholic with a Scottish accent
>>
>>54800979
While D&D may have a lot of gender equality for the time period, the dynamics of child-raising can't have changed that much. Dad gets his fuck, Mom gets knocked up, but she's the one stuck doing most of the child-rearing while Dad is off in the fields. He gets a disproportionate amount of Joy out of this whole having a baby thing.
>>
File: perucomputer.png (106KB, 922x882px) Image search: [Google]
perucomputer.png
106KB, 922x882px
>>54801093
They're Peruvians stuck in Tibet.
>>
>>54794749
"He challenged Ilikan to a duel? I'll hand it to him, guy's got a real quad on him."

>>54801003
"Why do we strive for perfection? Because one time we didn't, and the damn gnomes neutered our entire race."
>>
>>54794749
>>54801162
Do WotC ever specify that goliath's DON'T have four testicles?
>>
>>54801162
Dwarves would be the Taurians and then Elves for the Salarians
>>
int score IQ levels

4 Int = 15 plus 2d10
6 Int = 30 plus 2d10
8 Int = 65 plus 4d6
10 int = 95 plus 1d10
12 int = 105 plus 1d10
14 int = 125 plus 1d10
16 int = 135 plus 1d10
18 int = 155 plus 1d10
20 int = 160 plus 1d10
22 int = 165 plus 2d10
24 int = 200 plus 1d10

so what your characters IQ /5eg/

180 for me
>>
>>54801181
Yeah in the Complete Goliath's Handbook
Turns out they have three testicles but no dick
>>
>>54801202

>>
File: Goliath.png (507KB, 577x816px) Image search: [Google]
Goliath.png
507KB, 577x816px
>>54794749
It's not a meme, it's right there in Volo's

>>54801191
Elves and Salarians are incredibly different in almost every way, though.
>>
>>54801098
>Knock up random barmaid
>Stuck adventuring 9-5 for the next 20 years to make ends meet
>>
>>54801191
Would elves be Asari?
>>
>>54801191
>>54801331
Elves are Asari.
>>
Are clerics overpowered in 5e too?
>>
The thread is dead
Long live the thread
>>54801426
>>54801426
>>54801426
>>54801426
>>
>>54801390
not as bad as previous editions, 5e closes the gap quite a bit, casters are still supreme, of course, but not as much as before.
>>
>>54801366

>Extremely long-lived
>Holds themselves up as the "best" culture despite achieving fuckall of significance in the past thousand years or so
>Squeals like a schoolgirl when you bend them over

It matches up.
>>
>>54801376
>>54801366
I forgot about the Asari
Probably because they did dick all in 3 despite us going to their capital
>>
>>54793461
I changed it. I thought you guys would get a kick out of it.
>>
>>54797680
>>54797758
>>54797778
My main worry is that hitting an unconscious player with a melee attack is an auto-crit, and that a crit on someone who isn't stable is two failed death saves
>>
The druid and Battlemaster on my team discovered that if the druid uses hold person on an enemy, the Battlemaster can go and auto-crit him 4 times using his action surge and burn all 4 of his superiority dice and shit out an average of 108 damage in one single turn. They're only level 5. What kind of monsters have I created?
>>
>>54801918
yes, when players burn all their resources at once, they can accomplish some major bullshit. On the other hand, they are running on fumes for the rest of the encounter. Not really a problem if you have more than one enemy in the fight.
>>
>>54801918
It's one target only, depends on target failing saving throw and drain all of fighters resources except HP. Things start to pick up the pace at 5th level anyway. Compare it with Fireball.

Thanks for idea, though.
>>
>>54796668
>Free +1 weapons as a bonus action every turn
>Extra 1d4 damage from the same thing that increases as you level, sacrificing only a bit of HP in return—easily beatable with very high CON
>No concentration requirements or anything, just a bonus action on your turn.
>5 ASIs
>MULTIATTACK with the aforementioned free magic weapon
>Hold Monster at level 6, free !weak disengage at level 11, elf racial feature at 14, druid class feature at 17, and a weak-ass capstone

That's not even getting into the subclasses, but sure, let's do that too.
> Ghostslayer
>radiant damage equal to WIS mod on just about every attack, because the "Blood Rite" crap is the basis of this class
>Max HP-draining powers are half as effective. That's actually not bad.
>Hold Monster powers ignore immunity to restrained condition. Not familiar enough with ghosts to really make that call, but that seems really powerful, if very situational. Also affects anything else that can't be restrained, very strong.
>Ethereal plane site is neat but niche
>attacks on reaction when something misses and attack of opportunity against you—which, with disadvantage, they will. That's stupid good.
>health drain on attacks equal to WIS mod at 18
Profane soul
>1/3 caster as a warlock
>weapon as spellcasting focus
>cantrip&weapon attack in 1 turn
>kind of useless level 10 feature unless you know what you're fighting beforehand
>free spell counterattack once per short rest
>wisdom as a spellcasting mod for warlock spells
>>
>>54802113

Mutant
>Witcher ripoff even more than the rest of this class. Which isn't really needed, just flavor your eldritch knight
>seems a bit more balanced. The "mutagens" can only be used by the witcher and can't be stocked up—have to be used by the next SR/LR and take a SR to make.
>mutagens only last that long, too
>level 7 feature is solid, boosts the amount of mutagens you can make in a short time
>immunity to poison is stupid strong, I'd make it resistance and immunity to the condition.
>15th level feature makes sense for the class
>18th-level feature copies the Barb high level features, but it works all right.
>mutagens are pretty varied and it seems like you'll have to be really careful which ones you pick, and you need a good bit of time to prep them.
The class would be best on an elf or a warforged—something that doesn't need to sleep would mean plenty of time to make potions.

Funny, the subclass I thought I'd hate the most is probably the only 1 of the 3 I would allow.
>>
>>54797368
Just play a battlemaster
>>
>>54802132
>immunity to poison is stupid strong

Not him but that's a fucking yuan ti class feature. Then again yuan ti is just broken
>>
>>54802337
Yuan-Ti is just broken because it gets Magic Resistance on top of a better Dwarf racial feature and a better Drow racial feature. Just loads of stuff for no reason.
>>
File: Yuan-ti.jpg (479KB, 640x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Yuan-ti.jpg
479KB, 640x1054px
When will these silly humanoids learn to bow down or their serpentine masters?
Thread posts: 372
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.