[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 59

File: Money.jpg (193KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
Money.jpg
193KB, 600x397px
Last thread:
>>53836153
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Have you ever (or do you want to but haven't) upgraded the components of your board games? Which ones? What made you want to upgrade that game?
>>
>>53927147

>Upgradan gaems

Usually, only upgrade I really do is foamcore inserts. Other than that, I upgraded my eldritch horror with nifty transparent colored dice (because the dice were cheap, and you need a bucket of them so each player having a set is convenient) and I added a bunch of plastic brains (from a really shitty game, Mmm... Brains) to zombie dice because fuck scoresheets.

I also painted a bunch of my games, but my painting is so shit that's almost a downgrade.
>>
>>53927147
A /bgg/ that actually has /bgg/ in the title, now this is something I can get behind
>>
>>53927147
>upgrading components
I get these for terra mystica.
Other than those I have MDF inserts for Caverna and Lords of Waterdeep.
>>
Speaking od upgrading, does anyone edge the cardboard chits in their games?
>>
Only when there's a real bad component choice that has been easy to fix. Something like replacing 1830's paper money with poker chips is pretty low effort.
>>
File: merchant.jpg (353KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
merchant.jpg
353KB, 500x500px
>>53927905

In the words of another member of my gaming group, it's the good game that Monopoly should have been.

But in my opinion, they're really not that similar. The basis of Merchant of Venus is flying your spaceship around the board, meeting new civilizations, trading goods and ferrying passengers between them, and upgrading your ship to do it all better. Other than having roll-and-move (though, with a web that can be traveled in any direction rather than linear/circular board, 3+ d6, and the ability to place dice that might not have been so hot for movement sum on navigation or upgrades for benefits it's far less irritating than many uses of the mechanic) with an economic flair there's fairly little connection.

Where Merchant of Venus actually shines is in having to both plan ahead and adapt to manage a functional trade route , and the fact that markets will fluctuate (Sale prices change between three values, the availability of goods for purchase is limited and renews only gradually so if you try to ship the same thing over and over you might hit a wall), making it feel really meaty in its economics. What's more, there are a lot of avenues to the profit that will ultimately determine the winner: you can just try to haul as much shit to someone who wants it as possible rinse repeat, same loop rain or shine, or you could chase high market values and hope you don't get outraced. You can also develop infrastructure, or even run freeking missions or laser pirates off the board for renown. Some of that is money now, some is money over time, and some won't count until endgame scoring but it all adds up.
>>
>>53928784
Frankly it's a hard game to classify; It's not really your typical ameritrash since you're not going to be directly blowing other players up and taking their stuff or anything like that, but it's got too much dice play/board play to be a euro. It's way too heavy to be a "family game" but I know some people freeking hate roll-and-move (and normally I'm one of them, it took a lot of balancing to make it work here). But I enjoy it well enough and it's one of a very few really 'epic' games that I own, the kind that take a long time but really feel like they deserve it.

Advantage of the FFG edition that I have: It has both the updated game, which is what I've played most and is fairly streamlined, and the components and flip side of the board for a faithful recreation of the first edition which features a lot more of the fiddly goodness like establishing factories or demand over and above the normal market flux. Kinda cool if you want to kill most of an afternoon but are sick of TI3's Politics and Combat being the go-to marathon.
>>
I replaced the red cubes in my copy of Love Letter with plastic heart beads, because red cubes are laaaaame.
>>
File: Eclipse Resource trays.jpg (243KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse Resource trays.jpg
243KB, 1280x853px
>>53927147
>I added a bunch of plastic brains (from a really shitty game, Mmm... Brains) to zombie dice because fuck scoresheets.

Yeah, I keep thinking I need to order a bunch of the little pink brains from BGG to go with my copy of Zombie dice too.

>>53927147
> Have you ever upgraded the components of your board games?

Not the components in this case, but how they're organized...
>>
File: Eclipse Tray 02.jpg (123KB, 652x358px) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse Tray 02.jpg
123KB, 652x358px
>>53930783
And how they're stored. This makes things so much easier both during and after game play.
>>
>>53927988
Fucking this.
>>
>>53930997
>forget to check your title one fucking time and everyone's ready to cut your liver out
Well at least maybe this time the shitposting won't be euro vs ameritrash or ks shilling related.

>>53928191
Did it for Elder Sign and Flash Point, but the sharpie slipped a couple times on my Flash Point POIs so I stopped doing it.
>>
>>53927147
I made an insert for my Diplomacy game and I also 3D printed and painted some ships and tanks to use instead of the cardboard pieces that came with the game. After working on a insert for Neuroshima Hex but I haven't worked on it in a while because I've been busy, I need to finish that
>>
File: 1409209827503.jpg (159KB, 858x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1409209827503.jpg
159KB, 858x1000px
>>53931453
>Well at least maybe this time the shitposting won't be euro vs ameritrash or ks shilling related.

We have a call for 'New and different shit-posting'. Seconded. All in favor of a new flavor of shit-posting say 'Aye'. ;)

To start the new shit-posting:

Why aren't you fags board gaming more often? In fact, why are you board gaming more than you sleep? It's the only way you'll ever 'Git Gud' at your chosen board game. Sleep is like breathing - it's a crutch for the weak of mind and body.
>>
>>53933178
>why are you board gaming more than you sleep?

why *aren't* you board gaming more than you sleep?

<sleep deprivation made me typo...>
>>
>>53921536
> RE: One Deck Dungeon from previous thread...

Yeah, I'm thinking about snagging this one too. It's a hell of a lot less expensive than 'To Many Bones'.
>>
>>53933178
>you're
kys
>>
File: 20170521_165847.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170521_165847.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>53927147
>Have you ever upgraded the components of your games ?
I'm painting my Descent 2 figs at the moment. I made the Heroes and Masters Monsters and working on the Minions now.nothing fancy, juste a base, some ink, light drybrushing and mat varnish.
I just want the game to be pretty and readable.

I want to make a PnP of Splendor some time in the futur and planning on geting some colored acrylics gems instead of the ugly poker chips.
>>
Has anyone seen the new items Miniature Market has put on clearance? On that note, how long do they keep items on clearance? There's some things I'd like to get but I need to wait until my next paycheck to get them
>>
File: Channel A.jpg (63KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Channel A.jpg
63KB, 500x375px
I've been considering getting this to play with my weebier friends - is it any good?
>>
>>53934416
>I want to make a PnP of Splendor some time in the futur and planning on geting some colored acrylics gems instead of the ugly poker chips.
Very interested in doing something similar, let me know how this goes for you
>>
File: 53153_Block_Out.jpg (98KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
53153_Block_Out.jpg
98KB, 1024x768px
All memes aside this is a good dexterity game.

Ameriburger version is called Wonky. And they released an adult/drinking edition of it in the states. Has anyone tried those?
>>
>>53933283
I think One Deck Dungeon is on TTS and if so I'm prolly gonna try it out there to see how I like it
>>
>>53928129
Where did you get those pieces at? They're pretty neat
>>
>>53935405
Someone was selling them one etsy.
Looks like they aren't for sale anymore though.
>>
>>53933178
>Why aren't you fags board gaming more often?
because everyone else has a life
>>
File: Vast.jpg (14KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
Vast.jpg
14KB, 246x205px
Hey fa/tg/uys, I was just gifted this little number. What's peoples take on it?
>>
>>53937274
I like it well enough. It looks way more complicated than it is, though, which can make it a little difficult to teach/sell groups on.
>>
>>53937322
Cheers brother, I'll keep that in mind. I've got a freaking list of games I need to play through before I get to this one, but it's good to know that it isn't a game that just got sold on aesthetics.
>>
>>53934547
if you have weeb friends get tanto cuore
>>
>>53927147
As a general rule I'll paint any plastic minifigs that come with a game. Other than that, I've upgraded cardboard tokens to carved wooden ones occasionally.
>>
What are the best trading games?
Like, Catan but without any of the bullshit.
Just trading and player interaction as far as the eye can see.
No stocks/shares tho.
>>
>>53937660
Or Barbarossa
>>
>>53938440
Jaipur for 2 players, Archipelago.
>>
>>53934547
It's better if you just play a set number of rounds without bothering to keep score.
It's also only as fun as your group is.
>>
>>53938440
Chinatown, Genoa, Bohnanza are all good trading games
>>
>>53938693
I think Jaipur is about trading themtically but doesn't actually have player trading as a mechanic. At least I'd expect that since I don't think trading can even work in a 2 player game.

>>53938803
Aight I'll check them out.
>>
File: chinatown.png (125KB, 219x300px) Image search: [Google]
chinatown.png
125KB, 219x300px
>>53938440
Bohnanza is hands-down the best trading game ever made. Incredible depth from simple mechanics. Shame they haven't updated the theme/art despite staying in print for 20 years.

Chinatown is also top-tier. The basic mechanics are very simple, but with the right group you can get into absurdly complex trade negotiations. Also, the open trading aspect means you can't waste time on analysis paralysis, or else other people will trade their good stuff first and you'll be left out in the cold. Great components, too (except for the money cards, but those are easy to replace).
>>
>>53939034
>I think Jaipur is about trading themtically but doesn't actually have player trading as a mechanic. At least I'd expect that since I don't think trading can even work in a 2 player game.
I agree with this
>>
What's a hidden gem in your collection? One that you didn't think you would like or one that surprised you how much you liked it? I think for me it'd have to be Jaipur
>>
File: magus.jpg (36KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
magus.jpg
36KB, 480x360px
>>53940809
None sadly, since import prices fuck me over too much to "risk" purchases.
I do however have one or two interesting locally produced games.
>>
>>53939034
>>53939704
eh, yes and no. In Jaipur you trade back and forth with the trade row in the middle and the other player by proxy. It works a lot better than most people would think. Plus it's dirt cheap.
>>
>>53940809
Helionox.
Got a used first print copy and it's a great deckbuilder. You play a character with different powers on cooldowns and 4 different factions, hop between planets to defuse threats, build embassies. Great artwork too.
2nd printing + expansion KS is live right now, I probably won't back it, but the game does deserve a wider audience.
>>
>>53940809
Archaeology the New Expedition, which is basically Jaipur for more than 2 players.
>>
New Mansions of Madness 2nd ed expansion was announced
>>
>>53944595
When is it coming out?
>>
File: IMG_9691.jpg (294KB, 1291x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9691.jpg
294KB, 1291x1920px
For any of you who have been thinking about downloading any of the asmodee apps for your phone or tablet, you may want to pull the trigger now since they're currently on sale
>>
How many games in your collection, /bgg/?
>>
>>53946441
>Jaipur is currently the most expensive game they have, even over Pandemic and Splendor
The meme is real.
>>
File: cirno_080_the_saddest.jpg (191KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cirno_080_the_saddest.jpg
191KB, 500x500px
I really want to buy Dominion because I like the art a lot, but the second edition hasn't been translated in German yet.

I'd also have preferred if it had victory point tokens like the life point tokens in Star Realms. There also doesn't seem to be much player interaction. Is that true, even with expansions?
>>
>>53949898

I like Jaipur, I've won everytime I've played it. All about dem camelz
>>
File: 1462654555538.png (171KB, 781x742px) Image search: [Google]
1462654555538.png
171KB, 781x742px
>>53949667
One game big.
>>
>>53950566
Second edition isnt too different and why not just get the english version. Also what the hell are you smoking, the art isnt nice at all, some of it is okay, but a lot of it is just terrible. Player interaction is limited, there are some cards that hurt other players but I wouldnt say its really a combat focussed game.
>>
>>53946441
>Check the steam link
>No results were found
Nani?
>>
>>53951568
Keep going little anon, you'll make it some day.
>>
>>53951655
>Second edition isnt too different
But the bigger fonts sound nice.

>and why not just get the english version.
It's, like, 2.5x times as expensive.
>>
Me and my friends keep playing the Dark Souls board game. It's really fun!
>>
>>53936631
>because everyone else has a life
> life...

Oh no you don't! Don't you go around using those four letter words with me mister!

< "life" - all the shit that gets in the way of things you actually enjoy...>
>>
>>53937274
It's an interesting asymmetric strategy game. I just picked up a copy recently myself. Just haven't had a chance to play it yet.
>>
>>53943604
Damn you! I'm trying not to be tempted by any more KS games - and Helionox isn't making that goal easy.
>>
>>53951869
>>But the bigger fonts sound nice.
I found the font on my first edition not to be a problem.
>>
>>53952556
Steamforged intern, pls
>>
>>53954076
Maybe they've been playing nothing but Monopoly and Munchkin for years on end. You never know...
>>
Trying to figure out which worker placement game to get.
Lords of waterdeep seems like the "entry tier" one but it also seems kind of boring.
The more complex ones seem interesting but usually sprawl a ton and my table is modest.
Archipielago seems excellent but seems like it has too many mechanics as to test if worker placement is something my group would enjoy.
I'm leaning towards Champions of Midgard, but I'm not too fond of the dice rolling.

Opinions?
>>
>>53955122
Caylus is still excellent and would be my first choice.

Either Agricola or Caverna will be a completely fine choice. The focus is a bit different, but the game is similar enough.

Keyflower is great.

Viticulture always feels such light game to play, but it has a whole lot of meat. The theme can be not that interesting to some though.

Tzolkin has some mechanics in the "wheels" that make it feel somehow fresher than many other worker placements.
>>
File: 1483828573625.png (70KB, 661x473px) Image search: [Google]
1483828573625.png
70KB, 661x473px
>>53955122
Dominant Species if you're aren't a weak babby
Lords of Waterdeep is shit
>>
File: DS-Box-Front.jpg (417KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DS-Box-Front.jpg
417KB, 1080x1080px
Hey fa/tg/uys of the /bgg/, what do you think of this game, is it just a meme?
>>
>>53955622
Meme.
>>
>>53955122
LoW is indeed babby tier. It's good as a gateway, but it's a game where there are no truly bad moves and every action is perfectly balanced. 4 gold is 2 carrots is 1 beetroot, and that's everywhere - buildings, quests, intrigue. It's really hard to screw up for new players, but at the same time it's pretty unsatisfying.
Haven't played CoM or Archipelago so no input there.
Personally, for a pure worker placement, I'd go with Agricola. It has a shitton of replayability with all the cards (at least the pre-2016 version) and can get pretty cutthroat with an experienced group. Also the theme actually works and leads to plenty of jokes, which is damn rare for a euro. It does sprawl quite a bit though. I feel your pain since I have a tiny table as well. Consider investing in a shitty Ikea coffee table to extend the playing room a bit, most board games will be hell if you lack space.
>>
>>53955622

> everyone's made up their minds about this game and I'm still waiting for mine to arrive down in buttfuck New Zealand
> tg-appropriate_mfw.jpg
>>
>>53955252
>>53955438
>>53955676
Thanks for the replies, will check out the suggestions.
>>
>>53955122
Viticulture.

Great game. Great components. Looks great. Get the Extended Edition if you can.

I like LoW, but only with the expansions. It's to simple otherwise.

Champions of Midguard is a good game. I wouldn't be mad if you brought it to the table.

Agricola and Caverna are also good games, but maybe not as your first worker placement. Especially Agricola. It can be punishing to newbs.
>>
>>53955622
It's mediocre. Not bad, but there's many better games. Don't buy it unless you HAVE to have a Dark Souls game.
>>
>>53951568
>One game big.

Speaking of 'One Big Game', it looks like CSI is still trying to off-load copies of Empires: Galactic Rebellion, and 'The Daedalus Sentence' at 1/3 of their original asking prices.

Number in stock: 20+ (each) Ouch...

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2663?&resultsperpage=25&s=bg
>>
A friend brought over Sirlin's new-ish Codex game tonight, my first direct exposure to the game.
It feels like a Sirlin's game. A mostly successful attempt to remix long-standing mechanics into something a little more interesting and a lot more rigorously playtested, that comes out with it's soul a little bit thinner for the effort.
And then marketed by a combatative shit-talking moron.

I'd play it again, but the sense that Sirlin himself is somewhere somehiw jacking off a little harder for every person looking at his mechanics is pervasive.
>>
File: ChangeOfSeasons.jpg (20KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
ChangeOfSeasons.jpg
20KB, 224x224px
Any love for this gem?
>>
>>53958153
Yeah, they've been putting them up on almost every major sale for ~50% off so far.

They just can't seem to get rid of them.
>>
>>53958153
>Daedalus Sentence
>bad reviews everywhere, mediocre at best
>oversized unnecessary board
>shitty packaging
>EGG quality control
>$150 price tag
Are we surprised this thing doesn't sell?

>>53958538
>And then marketed by a combatative shit-talking moron.
>I'd play it again, but the sense that Sirlin himself is somewhere somehiw jacking off a little harder for every person looking at his mechanics is pervasive.
This is why I still don't own Puzzle Strike, despite it being the deckbuilder that appeals most to me outside Trains
>>
>>53946181
Last quarter of this year
>>
>>53956933
What does the LoW expansion add?
>>
>>53958615
I really want to get it
>>
Is there a good source for foam insert designs?
>>
>>53958960
>>53958615

I really recommend it. Nice card drafting game with an interesting resource and time mechanic, low to moderate levels of player interaction depending on what comes out, beautiful artwork and a few decent expansions.
>>
Has anyone played the terra mystica app? Is it worth the $10 price tag?

>>53958967
I just search on bgg and ask people for their designs
>>
>>53955122
I find worker placement in general to be boring as shit but I absolutely love Argent: The Consortium because it's (hidden) objective-based as opposed to VP-based and interactive as hell, I just bought Archipelago and waiting for it to arrive on Monday as I'm convinced that it's the only other WP game worth owning. Argent murders tables though

Have you looked into Clockwork Wars? I'm interested in that one as it uses WP as a mechanic rather than the focus of the game

>>53958615
Played it once, don't care too much for it

>>53958538
Can't say I care about Sirlin's personality but I can see why people would avoid his games for that reason. I'm curious about how it feels a bit soulless though, care to elaborate on that?
>>
>>53959315
>feels a bit soulless though
This is very likely entirely subjective and my own fault, not the games, but everything almost feels too conservative, a little too whittled down in the name of balance. Even on first read, nothing in the game struck me as scary, too strong, or surprising. I say this is probably a subjective issue on my end because the game wasn't overly long and scaled into the late and endgame quite quickly - but nothing dramatic or unexpected really happened at any point.
>>
File: pic3568532.png (3MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pic3568532.png
3MB, 1200x1200px
So when exactly is the kickstarter for this going to tart?
>>
Is there any website that has pictures of just, components stored in the inserts?
Some are super straightforward but somestimes I have no idea what the designers expect me to put where.
>>
>>53960111
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/198920/my-meticulously-arranged-components-showcasing-bea
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/86261/top-500-games-components-competition-closed
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74818/game-components-picture-competition-improve-bgg-an
>>
>>53960215
Nice photos, but that is the opposite of what I asked for.
>>
>>53955122
>Trying to figure out which worker placement game to get.
Aside from Agricola, get Robinson Crusoe, if you can. (I think it's out of print in the USA at the moment.)
>>
>>53958666
>>53958678
I'd buy them for like $10.
How long do you think it'll take to become 95% off?
>>
>>53958949
More dudes, more buildings, more boards, and a corruption track which is basically an anti VP-track.
>>
>>53958615
It's a lot of fun. One of the few games my friend who has to play critic constantly had nothing bad to say. It's one of those games that doesn't really do anything particularly new or even have a really intriguing combination of elements or anything. It's just does what it does well. Drafting, hunting for combos, side of luck with a fair amount of luck mitigating tactics. The expansion modules are unnecessary and convolute the experience, but I still recommend them because with just the new cards, you get a shit ton of more possibilities.
>>
>Wonder if Tom ever dislikes any game really
>Find the video where he "apologizes" about vasco da gama
>>
File: 1291873635790.jpg (92KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
1291873635790.jpg
92KB, 544x400px
>>53939053
This game is fairly underrated. It's what I always recommend people who try to argue monopoly could still be worth playing because of the deal making.
>Friend 1 was trying to convince friend 2 to get the last pieces they needed to finish friend 1's 6 property and friend 2's 5 property
>Knew this was a bad deal, especially with the money he wanted out of it in addition
>Offered friend 2 the last piece he needed for his 5 property for some chump change and under the condition he build it on this property in specific
>That property was what friend 1 needed to finish his 6, he was completely walled in otherwise
>>
>>53959389
Ah damn, that's unfortunate. I feel the same way with Ashes where there's no dramatic buildups or anything, just slow incremental play. That said, I'm using precon decks due to lack of time, I figure I could netdeck a few constructed decks with the current card pool to get an actual idea of how Ashes is meant to be played and then start deckbuilding. I've read about people going tricolor in Codex and I'm curious about that, though it feels more restrictive in theory than Ashes. Still need to check out Epic, that may scratch the MTG itch of wanting to foil out my Legacy and Commander decks
>>
>>53958615
It's one of the better games I've played to be centered around a draft mechanic, and the engine building can hit some really satisfying moments
>>
>>53962192
Epic does the job for me, but it's much more obviously a child of the if-everything-is-broken-then-everything-is-balanced school of design.
And it works well with draft, which would be really, really hard to do with codex.
>>
File: 1498096343206.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1498096343206.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
Anyone played Yspahan or Way out West? A guy is selling them so I need opinions.
>>
File: 1495557202117.png (475KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1495557202117.png
475KB, 666x666px
>when that one game you dislike but everyone else likes comes to the table and you have to maintain a pokerface
>>
Are there any other deck builders besides Star Realms that have a "scrap" mechanic?
>>
>>53963637
You mean having at least some cards be self-disposing, or the fact that you can dispose of cards at all? Because the latter is fairly common in deckbuilders, right back to Dominion's Chapel

The former has a lot of variations. Kanzume Goddess has a lot of cards that either send themselves or others to the "Netherworld" (basically out of the game), either as an attack on your opponents or for some extra benefit. Tanto Cuore (Judge my taste all you want) has the Chamber mechanic which gets cards out of your deck, though only certain cards can be Chambered and they still score for you (in fact, several will ONLY score for you if chambered).
>>
>>53963637
Almost every one that I've played has it in some measure. Arctic Scavengers even lets you do it pretty much at-will.
>>
>>53963637
All deckbuilders I've played have the scrap mechanic integrated in some way, it's the way to refine your deck so your best cards get recurrence (or, in some cases, to prevent your rival from getting a good card)
>>
File: 1491847452375.jpg (1MB, 1700x2338px) Image search: [Google]
1491847452375.jpg
1MB, 1700x2338px
>>53963612
>my face when I sell it off to one of them so I can buy better games
>>
>>53963715
>>53963731
>>53964293
Not that anon but which ones make it easy is it to remove cards from play to thin out your deck (by easy I mean let you do it often)?
>>
>>53966143
>Dominion
Trashing is a hugely important strategy and while there are many possible setups, including Chapel makes it fucking easy to nuke unwanted cards. Some others will do it too, but that's the most famous base set option
>Tanto
Basically any card you don't want in your deck (because its main purpose is vp) can be chambered, and the base-level currency cards also have a decent number of ways to trash or upgrade them available.

Those are the two deckbuilders I've played that have given me the easiest time about purging unwanted cards, while Kanzume and Star Realms are more about throwing a card away forever to get a boost RIGHT NOW when it's critical, rather than purely to thin your deck.
>>
File: 20170623_142018.jpg (4MB, 2522x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170623_142018.jpg
4MB, 2522x2268px
Just got back from a craigslist deal. Which wargame and which non-wargame should I introduce to my group first? The envelope is Battle for Germany (SPI 1975).
>>
>>53937660
>>53938679
I said weeb friends, not otaku friends
>>53938733
Fair enough.
>>53963612
Exploding Kittens - a few backers have been to some local meetups, and I always have to grin and bear it when they roll up and are all "The box goes 'meow'!"
>>
>>53967823
I can't speak for Barbarossa, but Tanto is legitimately good if your group can so much as accept the theme. IMO it beat Dominion at its own game.
>>
>>53967823
>when they roll up and are all "The box goes 'meow'!"
I would have snapped after the third time
>>
>>53966143
Thunderstone lets you skip a turn to trash a card, you can do it once every single turn if you want.

All games in the Realms series have a dedicated trash card faction, but you need to combo cards.
>>
>>53963612
I always feel this way when the Oregon Trail card game comes out, but despite being a terrible game in all objective senses the fact that everyone's rapidly swinging between laughing their asses off and scrambling to deal with the calamities makes it an alright experience -- sort of the opposite of Munchkin that turned everyone I've ever played with, myself included, into a screaming asshole autist. Luckily I don't own munchkin and neither does anyone I game with nowadays. It's probably one of two games I would just fucking walk away from if it came to the table.
>>
Where do you do your online shopping? I'm looking for alternatives to Amazon and Miniature Market (so I'm in America)
>>
>>53969053
CSI, ebay sometimes, BGG marketplace, Target maybe. Sadly the Asmodee OGS price fuckery has made it so Amazon has become the best price more often then not; unless you're making a buy at free shipping levels, but I tend to do smaller purchases than bulk orders. The downside is Amazon packaging is dogshit, especially compared to CSI with shitloads of peanuts keeping your boxes safe, or someone on ebay/BGG who is willing to load a box with peanuts/paper/etc if you ask nicely. MM is ok I guess, but I loathe airbags, at least they're packing by hand unlike Amazon.
>>
>>53969053
Usually eBay, but I'll usually shop around via boardgameprices.co.uk

Thing is, I don't even want anything right now, except maybe Star Realms and Channel A, and I can get the former at one of my local gaming stores with a 10% discount
>>
>>53969053
In the U.S. - I typically go with CSI (Coolstuffinc.com) or Miniature Market and I tend to wait until I've got enough to cover an order with free shipping. I also use Ebay Amazon, and BGG's 'Geek Bazaar' as well. Occasionally I'll look at Card Haus or 'Fun Again Games', but they tend to have higher prices, so I use them far less often.
>>
>>53963637
The most interesting use of the trashing mechanic I've seen recently is Valley of the Kings. It's more a deck destroyer than a deckbuilder - cards are only worth Victory points after you've removed them from the game.
>>
>>53970903
Valley of the Kings (all three flavours of it) also do market row pretty much the best way of all the deckbuilding games I've seen that have market row style card choosing.
>>
>>53955622
>Multiplayer
Grindy waste of time
>Single player
8/10
>>
Any good 1v1 games outside of 7W duel and twilight struggle? Preferibly nice artwork.
>>
>>53971771
Jaipur, Star Realms, Hive, Onitama, Neuroshima Hex, or x-wing (if you really wanna drop some money)
>>
So how much fun do I get by purchasing a Dominion base set?

3 players mind you
>>
File: board game recs 1 of 2.jpg (2MB, 1860x1508px) Image search: [Google]
board game recs 1 of 2.jpg
2MB, 1860x1508px
I've managed to make this in 3 days, but the original file size was 7.84 megabytes, so I shrunk it and chopped it in half

1/2
>>
File: board game recs 2 of 2.jpg (2MB, 1860x1508px) Image search: [Google]
board game recs 2 of 2.jpg
2MB, 1860x1508px
>>53972404
2/2
>>
>>53972447
4x section where?
Good job btw.
>>
>>53966143
Tyrants of the Underdark. There are a bunch of cards that allow you to "promote" a shitty card into VP. It's not a strict deckbuilding game though. The deckbuilding is an engine for the area control part of the game.
>>
>>53972399
Unless you bounce off the pretty thin theme, if your group likes deckbuilding games, you'll have a ton of fun with that. For me it's still the best pure deckbuilding game out there.

3 is also pretty much the best number to play Dominion with.
>>
What are some good games (preferably euros and cheapish) that can run 6 players without ending up awful and nothing but downtime? I end up with that number of players often and I'm tired of rotating between Codenames, 7 Wonders and Power Grid.
>>
>>53972824
Carcassonne with an expansion can play 6
>>
>>53972404
>>53972447
Not complaining here but does the order the games were listed mean anything?
>>
>>53972404
>Small World is considered Ameritrash
>no Clash of Cultures or Avalon Hill Civilization/Mega Civilization in Civilization
>Stone Age is in Civilization but not Eurogame
>no Chicago Express in Routebuilder
>no Crokinole in Dexterity
>no Flash Point in Cooperative
>no Codenames in Party

bretty solid image otherwise

>>53972447
>Cave Evil is considered a Dungeon Crawler
I mean yeah, it can fit in there but I feel it would be better listed as a 4X game, a genre which is sorely missing from this list
>Titan is a Wargame
mah nigga
>no pure hex-and-counter games in Wargame
sad, but Titan features hex-and-counter battles so I guess that's good enough
>no Codenames in Word Game either

definitely needs a 4X list, otherwise bretty good as well
>>
>>53972404
>>53972447
It's nice, but VERY busy, just dumping box art without any space is going to make it harder to parse. You've also got some issues with the groupings. Memoir can indeed be called a "war game" but it's also all about dice chucking combat, compare that to Roll Player where you might use dice, but it's much closer to a euro than say KoT; and Tumblin Dice which is a dexterity game. Hell you've got Camel Up as a racing game when really it's a betting game like Winner's Circle, it's not like you're actually involved with any racing, that's just the theme draped on top.

You've also got a serious case of cult of the new, which is going to either require you to update this far too often, or you're going to end up with a lot of these falling flat once the hype has worn off. Also where the fuck is 1st & Goal? Best "football" game out there
>>
>>53972404
>>53972447
It's a cool list but the categories selected are kind of weird, although I guess it's expected when games can be multiple things.
>>
>>53972404
>>53972447
Its a good start for the /tg/ hivemind to refine but some of the choices seem... odd, or at least oddly placed. Ameritrash having a fairly loose definition is part of it; it's hard to see a negotiation game like Cosmic, a light dice brawler like King, and a moderately heavy kinda dungeon crawly affair like Talisman in the same category. Civilization also seems like a weird category, containing Stone Age (a solid introductory euro, somewhat like Catan in that as a transitional game it still has its dice.) along with Vinci (Small World's ancestor). I'd honestly kill that category and replace it with 4x

Worker Placement seems decently represented across multiple categories but I wonder if it hasn't expanded to earn its own. Deckbuilders, despite being a fairly large thing, maybe even large enough to be a category, are represented solely by Legendary (Unless I miss my mark) and it seems like one or two of the pillars of the genre, either recent favorites or standbys Dominion and Ascension could do to be on the card game list if nothing else.

All in all a good start but we could improve it. I think it's in part a difficult project because game makers LOVE to blend genres, even more so than (recalling the impetus for this) Anime creators.
>>
How big is theme to you? Is it something you MUST have to enjoy a game? Is it a nice addition but not a large concern to you? Or is the only thing you care about is pushing cubes around a board?
>>
>>53975382
Fairly big in some ways, fairly minor in others.

Its fairly big in that unless you're a full abstract game I want good fucking art and a theme I can at least accept.

It's fairly minor in that I'm not really opposed to pasted themes (Though making at least a halfhearted attempt at integration is better) and the list of themes I can accept, at least in some context, is the majority of themes I've seen.
>>
>>53975382
Hijacking this, what does a game need to have or do in order for it to be considered thematic?
>>
>>53976513
Good Gameplay/Theme integration.

Now, sometimes this is hard to quantify. The best way I would say is that most mechanics represents something and makes A=B sense with what it is supposed to represent. Almost anything can be reskinned but when 'Thematic' is done well it feels like the mechanic could only represent what it is said to represent and at least in the context of this game, each thematic element that's represented by a mechanic feels like it couldn't be represented by anything else.

Contrast Dominion with Champions of Midgard. Dominion is almost totally pasted; there's remarkably little connection between what gets you actions/money/cards and what the cards are named. The expansions get a little better but why is Village a little of everything? Because they needed a 'little of everything' card and 'Village' was an unused idea connected to the theme. What clears cards you don't want out of your deck? The Chapel because, um, chapels were things that existed. In Champions of Midgard, by contrast, why do you get stuff when you visit a Generous Merchant? Because he's a generous merchant. What happens when a troll goes undefeated and rampages through the city? All the people who were supposed to be protecting against that eventuality get blamed for not doing their damn job.
>>
>>53976703
well I mean the main idea was for the Chapel to clear curses out of your deck, it's just that they didn't specify that it HAD to be curses so people trash whatever they want with it
>>
>>53975382
I don't care about themes too much, I'm all about player interactions.
I do however not like games that have _terrible_ art or prototype tier components.
>>
>>53971771
Race for the Galaxy is the gold standard.
>>
Is Anachrony for $45 a good deal? Will it ever go lower?
>>
>>53940809
Onward to Venus has delighted anyone I've shown it to. Bought in online on a whim after watching a playthrough.
>>
>>53949667
About 25 games now I think.
>>
>>53949667
40 games. It grew really rapidly last year as I got reintroduced to boardgames having only 10 before, but I made sure to slow down and play what I have now that I have my bases covered generally.
>>
>>53974462
>somewhat like Catan in that as a transitional game it still has its dice
You're a retard, KYS.

Most classic eurogames (Castles of Burgundy, Kingsburg) and most modern eurogame hits (Marco Polo, Istanbul) use dice.

It's how you use the dice is the trick, not the dice themselves. Eurogames use dice to increase the range of player choices and to make the game more skill-dependent. Ameritrash uses dice to remove player choice and make player skill less important.
>>
anyone here owns this game?

could you please post a picture or scan of the hard difficulty board?

thanks everybody
>>
>>53978502
already own it and its pretty shit
>>
>>53972447
>loopin' loui
>childrens game
its the #1 drinking game
>>
>>53980858
Low quality bait, try again.
>>
File: abstract.jpg (156KB, 981x744px) Image search: [Google]
abstract.jpg
156KB, 981x744px
Which one should I get?
>>
>>53981648
Hive
>>
File: IMG_9723.jpg (419KB, 1757x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9723.jpg
419KB, 1757x1920px
Shout out to Cool Stuff Inc for stuffing a box full of packing peanuts to keep my pieces of cardboard safe
>>
>>53981992
how much do you get paid per post?i might want to get in on this in the future.
>>
>>53981648
If 3+, Quantum is great.
If 2 only, Hive is great. Been wanting to try Onitama though.
>>
>>53981648
Santorini is pretty fun, simple system with a cute character to it.
>>
>>53982308
Each post reduces my beatings for that day by 5 minutes
>>
>>53982532
>>53981648
Onitama is an excellent game, it forces you to be flexible and inventive with how you play each game. Since each game plays different and you're forced to adapt your play style each time, a meta can't really be formed, unlike in Hive. So if you like learning strategy and having the same options every game, then Hive my be for you. If instead you like having a completely new game each time that plays differently than the last then Onitama may be more your speed.
>>
>>53982863
What about Santorini?
>>
>>53982932
I haven't played that one so I can't comment on it
>>
>>53972447
>Vast
H-Holy crackers, the knight is so cute.

Makes my heart go doki doki. I'll buy it just for that.
>>
>>53978796
Anyone's opinion?
>>
>>53967384
>no replies
I think I'll go with Battle of Germany and Elasund respectively. Battle of Germany has the lowest complexity rating on BGG and has unique mechanics for 3-4 players. Elasund is similar to other games they've played, and it's rated better than Anno or Augsburg.
>>
>>53982308
I feel like >>53981992 was more sarcastic than anything else
>>
File: toc.jpg (283KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
toc.jpg
283KB, 1024x576px
Anyone had a crack at Time of Crisis yet? How is the deckbuilding part of it?
>>
>>53983793
Were you honestly expecting a bunch of folks here to have experience with a series of Avalon Hill games that came out roughly a quarter of a century ago? I'm a fan of classic War Games, and an old-fag, and I haven't played most of those. You would have been better off asking in the historical war games general.
>>
>>53984296
I figured at least someone would have some input, at least about the nonwargames. I'll head there.
>>
>>53981992
I've had great service from CSI too. They do an excellent job on packaging and on customer service. I stopped by their booth at PAX East a few years ago to give them a hard time. I told them it would be their fault if they didn't stop selling me games and I had to buy a bigger house to store them all in. Damn crack dealers...
>>
>>53981992
Never heard from the Mephisto faction. What's their shtick?
>>
File: 000202 --- 2017-06-24 21_26_23.png (159KB, 259x280px) Image search: [Google]
000202 --- 2017-06-24 21_26_23.png
159KB, 259x280px
>>53972447
There's no title. What game is this?
>>
>>53984527
I think they're aliens that can take over other units?
>>
>>53985864
By using my superpower of reverse-image searching the crop you made, I've determined that it's Cave Evil.
A metal fan could probably have read the title for you.
>>
File: kotoura_san_002.png (1011KB, 3160x3254px) Image search: [Google]
kotoura_san_002.png
1011KB, 3160x3254px
>>53986126
>A metal fan could probably have read the title for you.
>>
>>53986126
>Cave Evil
The company is named "Emperors of Eternal Evil".

They sure aren't subtle about being evil, for an organization of super villains.
>>
>>53985864
The other problem with that on the 'recommended' chart is that it's damn near impossible to get a copy of this game IIRC.
>>
File: THAT3.png (158KB, 259x280px) Image search: [Google]
THAT3.png
158KB, 259x280px
>>53985864
Cave Evil. It's like one of those black metal or death metal titles you don't know what the fuck it's supposed to say.
>>
Anyone play Crossfire? What is it like?
>>
Went to a meetup today, and it went a little something like this...

>Zombicide: Green Horde
Honestly, I don't really get the hate for Zombicide - I played David Bowie as The Goblin King twatting zombies with a bastard sword and crossbow bolts.
>Dodekka
Fun game, but it got surprisingly tense as people weighed up their decisions
>Ankh Morpork
Still one of my all-time favourites, but one player ended up discarding a lot of the cards that let you draw from the Random Event deck, so I decided to play the one card I had that let me do just that. I ended up losing all my buildings
>Codenames
Okay, serious question: if I gave the clue "Jonah, 1" is there any reason you would NOT pick "Bugle"?
>Braggart
One guy romped into the lead, thanks to him having a lot of "Liar" cards, not to mention the one "Yes I Did!" card
>Century: Spice Road
Am I missing something, or is this just a cube pusher with really nice art and an interesting way to push the cubes around? I mean, it was fun to play, but I definitely didn't "get it"...
>>
>>53987887
>>Codenames
>Okay, serious question: if I gave the clue "Jonah, 1" is there any reason you would NOT pick "Bugle"?
Because whale is in the field.
>>
File: TOUCHE_TURTLE_2.jpg (18KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
TOUCHE_TURTLE_2.jpg
18KB, 400x300px
>>53988018
>>
>>53987887
What are the other options, and why didn't you just say "Reverie"?
>>
>>53987887
>Codenames
>Okay, serious question: if I gave the clue "Jonah, 1" is there any reason you would NOT pick "Bugle"?
If you don't get the reference. I had to look it up.
>>
>>53986610
There's more than a few on those charts, Fireball Island came out in the 80s and hasn't been in print in decades. It MIGHT be getting a restoration games overhaul but I'd still never recommend it to someone. Why make someone waste hours of their life trying to find a beat up copy?
>>
>>53981648
I like Duke the best.
>>
>>53983793
Personally I hate most wargames as they are incredibly long and uneventful.
And even worse, they may realy heavily on dice rolls.
Part of it is just playing Risk and finding it an absolutely horrible game on all sides though.
>>
>>53987887
What does "Jonah" have to do with bugles?
>>
File: J Jonah Jameson.jpg (33KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
J Jonah Jameson.jpg
33KB, 400x300px
>>53991706
>>
>>53990905
I didn't want to jump all over someone trying to do something useful, but I wondered about more than a few of the choices on a 'recommended' list since a number of the games are things even a lot of board gamers haven't heard of. Add in the odd choice of categories and it seemed not so useful. Looking at the chart it also struck me that the chart builder seemed like they didn't understand the difference between 'theme' and actual game mechanics.
>>
>>53992237
I feel a little safer jumping all over someone these days. I got shit on for a week solid by one or two anons bitching the "gf/wife" rec pic was sexist.

Also I'm going back to work on the 3/4/5/6 group rec chart again; finished the latest project this morning with some help from my nephew.
>>
>>53978796
Where'd you see it at $45? I'd jump on it at that price.
>>
>>53992447
CSI has a preorder at that price shipping est in August. I decided to go for it.
>>
>>53992351
Well, there's making constructive criticism comments without being an asshole, and then there's being a butt-hurt SJW. I'm fairly comfortable with the idea that no actual women were greatly offended by your image title.

What is the cool looking map for? (My brain is already yelling "Chits with ? marks! Quick - we must explore them.")
>>
>>53992351
>I got shit on for a week solid by one or two anons bitching the "gf/wife" rec pic was sexist.
Guess the tumblr invasion was real
>>
File: Track 2.png (574KB, 1307x532px) Image search: [Google]
Track 2.png
574KB, 1307x532px
>>53992469
>what's the map for
More Mario Kart X-wing; there's been no time for gaming recently so I'm having to make do with projects I can work on in 5-15 minute shifts. Wanted a more open field than my last one, so went with an easy track and then started looking for Mon Calamari fan art to copy with my 3rd grader finger painting skills.
>>
>>53927147
Thoughts on this?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121/dune
Is far too similar to GoT board game? Or are very different? My playgroup like GoT board game but I don't want other That is just too similar.
Other option is runewars
>>
>>53980378
lads?anyone?
>>
>>53992803
Dune is better than GoT, although it only works at 6, while GoT *can* work at 4. You're also dealing with an out of print product, so it's either PnP, buy an expensive old edition, or get Not-Dune
>>
>>53980378
>>53992917
If you are missing a board - odds are good that a quick email to the manufacturer will get you what you need. Or take a look at BGG - they typically have a bunch of images of any given game including boards, etc.
>>
Where can I play online board games?

Where can I download manuals, besides from the producers?

I want to try and learn them before buying them. Optimally, pirate them, of course.
>>
File: disgusting.png (192KB, 501x445px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
192KB, 501x445px
>>53994303
>boardgamearena
or get tabletopsimulator

>boardgamegeek
people will just post them on that site all the time

this could all be googled but since you couldnt be arsed im sure youre too fucking lazy to check any of my suggestions out anyway and im mad fucked up and willing to type bullshit to someone who wont take advantage of it especially since someone else might see it and benefit
>>
>Decide to buy some games that look very interesting
>Either out of print or don't ship to where I live
Guess I'm gonna have to become some sort of merchant
>>
File: registration.png (671KB, 813x836px) Image search: [Google]
registration.png
671KB, 813x836px
W-why are they asking about my sexual preferences?
>>
>>53994621
since theyre advertising a sex game right on their site banner it's probably so they can market sex games to you based on your preference
>>
>>53994646
The Happy Whore is not an all-ages economic simulation?
>>
File: i_dont_even_001.png (2KB, 203x212px) Image search: [Google]
i_dont_even_001.png
2KB, 203x212px
>>53994621
>site called "boardgame-online.com"
>literally doesn't have a single board game
>instead, is just one sex simulator
>>
>>53994667
I'm pretty sure Uwe Rosenberg is working this, but it's not just whoring. You can also play as a farmer working to save up enough to afford the whore
>>
>>53992959
Rex is pretty much a rerelease of Dune.
>>
>>53994814
Right, and it's got some nice tweaks, but it's still Not-Dune and shouldn't exist; STEEV's just been lazy on killing Herbert
>>
File: All of my NOPE.gif (899KB, 158x129px) Image search: [Google]
All of my NOPE.gif
899KB, 158x129px
>>53994303
> I want to steal but I'm too lazy and the interwebz is hard...
> Halp! Wut do?

MFW...
>>
File: Rosenberg's fucking farmers...jpg (85KB, 909x725px) Image search: [Google]
Rosenberg's fucking farmers...jpg
85KB, 909x725px
>>53994811
Screen Cap'd
>>
>>53994869
I said I wanted to pirate the online version just to see how the rules interact, then buy the actual boardgame, which tends to be 8 to 20x more expensive. That's what the online versions are there for anyways: advertisement.

I also searched and found those sites. I just wanted to hear some experiences of someone from here who has spent dozens of hours there already...

Lastly, piracy is not theft ("stealing"). It's piracy.
>>
Just got back from another game night. My friend convinced me to pull out Fury of Dracula, which was a bit awkward because I was really shakey on the rules and knew just barely how it functioned, and I'm a horribly awkwardly slow reader so I had to hand the rules to him. All that setup aside though and the embarrassment of having to have someone else teach my own game, the game actually was a lot of fun. It wasn't close at all as Dracula cornered himself by week 2 and made little progress on the influence tracker, but we now have a good idea of what to do next time and the game went faster than expected as our group is pretty on point is gunning through games and not at all susceptible to AP.

Also played a game of Chinatown. We all know how that goes, it's a fun game.
>>
If Monopoly is so bad, why doesn't someone come up with a euro version of it?
>>
>>53994923
>I said I wanted to pirate the online version just to see how the rules interact

What you intended to communicate, and what you actually wrote are two rather different things..

> Lastly, piracy is not theft ("stealing"). It's piracy.

You lack of language skills isn't doing you any credit. What you're talking about is also known as 'Theft of Intellectual Property' and is in fact stealing the results of said works creator's efforts.

>InB4 "I was never going to buy a Ferrari - so it's OK if I steal one." And other forms of self-dishonesty...

1. Next time how about *NOT* publicizing "Hey everybody - I'm gonna steal. Plz Halp!"

2. If you're going to steal things (and yes Ideas are things that produce tangible results including profits) at least man up enough to admit you're stealing. Or see point #1 if you are so stuck on being dishonest with yourself that point #2 is a no-go.

I'm not saying you have a problem, but when you can't even be honest with yourself about your own actions...
>>
>>53995203
Because you have two options:
1) You "tweak" all the shitty parts of monopoly to make them still shit (see: people who house rule the game and it still never becomes enjoyable, maybe even worse)
2) You overhaul it entirely to the point that it's a different game

There's a ton of games with "some aspects" of monopoly, that are just actually good games.
>>
File: Catan.jpg (51KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
Catan.jpg
51KB, 520x520px
>>53995203
>If Monopoly is so bad, why doesn't someone come up with a euro version of it?

You're about 20 years late Anon... Pic related.
>>
>>53995241
>Piracy IS theft! The theft of intellectual property!
Just fuck off IP shill.

I understand wanting to support the designers and publishers, but going on some crusade about this when the hobby is such a mess of reselling, importing, limited print runs, kickstarters, digital versions, and yadda yadda, is just stupid.
>>
File: Monopoly = bad.jpg (2MB, 2765x1879px) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly = bad.jpg
2MB, 2765x1879px
>>53995203
You do realize the Monopoly was intentionally *DESIGNED* to be unenjoyable for most of the players, don't you?
>>
>>53995241
>What you intended to communicate, and what you actually wrote are two rather different things..

I wrote:
>I want to try and learn them before buying them. Optimally, pirate them, of course.

I assumed that you have to buy those games, in order to play them online. "Playing them online" is what I meant by "trying". "Buying" referred to buying the physical version.

>You lack of language skills isn't doing you any credit. What you're talking about is also known as 'Theft of Intellectual Property' and is in fact stealing the results of said works creator's efforts.
Intellectual property theft is not theft. It is just a violation of intellectual property rights.

Theft is defined as the unlawful moving of someone else's property with the intent of making it your or someone else's own.
Intellectual property rights are immaterial goods. As such, they, by definition, cannot be physically moved with the intent to make them your own.
>>
>>53995264
> Supporting the mentally lazy.

Please note - I didn't tell Anon 'Ohhh Noes! Every time you pirate a PDF, God kills a kitten! Don't do it! You'll burn in HELL!!!!' Frankly I don't care one way or the other.

I am however mocking Anon's need to tell everyone that they're 'Pirating' things, but it's not 'theft' so it's OK. Anon has skipped 'water boarding' logic and gone straight to 'torturing the ever-loving-fuck' out of it in an attempt to self-justify their behavior. I can hardly wait to see what their next feet of 'mental gymnastics' is going to be.
>>
>>53995333
>that they're 'Pirating' things, but it's not 'theft' so it's OK.
>in an attempt to self-justify their behavior. I
Point out to where I said that "it's okay because it's not theft".

You can't, because I didn't make that argument, and I wouldn't have made it to justify a behaviour either? Then you're just making up shit about someone else's position.
>>
>>53995333
But he is not wrong, piracy is not stealing, they are literally different crimes, each properly defined.
You can't "literally steal" intellectual property, it's fucking ethereal.
>>
>>53995317
>Theft is defined as the unlawful moving of someone else's property with the intent of making it your or someone else's own.
>Intellectual property rights are immaterial goods. As such, they, by definition, cannot be physically moved with the intent to make them your own.

Speaking of mental gymnastics - now we can add 'moving the goal posts' and 'Denial - not just a river in Egypt' to the fun and games...

I specifically wrote 'Theft of Intellectual Property' because I knew someone would trot out that tired argument about theft of goods.

** Intellectual property theft involves robbing people or companies of their ideas, inventions, and creative expressions—known as “intellectual property”

You do realize you could have simply asked about online board game sites or where to find manuals without all the self-rationalizing bullshit, right?
>>
>>53995387
You didn't comply to the request. Point to where I made the argument that it's morally justified because it's not theft.

>now we can add 'moving the goal posts' and 'Denial - not just a river in Egypt'
Which are the alleged goal post positions before and after? What was denied?

>Intellectual property theft involves robbing people or companies of their ideas, inventions, and creative expressions—known as “intellectual property”
When you're citing something, you have to put a citation there, too. You got your quote from:
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/white-collar-crime/piracy-ip-theft

This is just a simple layman description to give you a rough idea of what it is, but not technical language, which you can especially well see in the usage of the term "robbing". It'd be quite funny, actually, if they meant the technical term "robbing" (using violence to steal something) there.
>>
>>53995494
>You didn't comply to the request. Point to where I made the argument that it's morally justified because it's not theft.

That would be the lengths you've gone to already to decry your actions as 'not theft' but 'piracy' ---> >>53995317

> When you're citing something, you have to put a citation there...

Ironic coming from the Anon who failed to site sources for his own 'Theft' definition, not to mention the whole lack of a 'Piracy' definition. Or are you going to argue that you're using sea-going vessels to (your words) 'Pirate' games?

(Again...)

1. In light of the fact you could have made your request without pointing out your desire to 'Pirate' games. And then...

2. Trotted out tired arguments that don't stand up to any sort of scrutiny by anyone with an I.Q. above room temperature and the ability to comprehend the meaning of the word 'Ethics'. (Much less being that would hold any weigh in a court of law where you'd get shut down by a judge in a heart-beat and then fined.)

And 3. When you can't even figure out how the fuck to find any one of the literal 'boat-load' (pardon the 'Piracy' pun) of game reviewers doing online reviews and 'how to play' videos (you know - like the suggested reviewers list in the pastebin linked to in the OP of the thread for fucks sake!) then I'm flat out stating that I don't believe you have the mental hardware needed to actually play said board games.
>>
>>53995614
>Person that confuses theft with piracy telling others they are dumb
Top kek
>>
>>53995614
>That would be the lengths you've gone to already to decry your actions as 'not theft' but 'piracy'
So, you at least admit that I didn't explicitly say it.

Your argument is that
I.: because I go to great lengths to defend my actions, and
II.: because people that go to great lengths to defend their actions are saying that 'their actions are justified because their actions cannot be subsumed under a definition of a legal or moral wrong' (inferred from your conclusion, because your argument doesn't work otherwise)
C.: I am saying that 'piracy is justified because it's not theft'.

Is that really a valid argument?

Are even the premises true? I certainly did go to a great length to talk about something, but what was my intent?
One of the possibilities is that I am defending myself.
Another is that I simply like arguing.
Or maybe I don't like people getting legal definitions wrong.
Or maybe I just don't like you in particular.
Or maybe I just like you in particular.
In all of those cases, I. and II. would be false and the argument unsound.

Which process did you use to decide on which of those (and other) possibilities are really the case?

Furthermore, for each of my reply, there's one of yours. Do I have to assume that you have my alleged agenda, too, then?

>Ironic coming from the Anon who failed to site sources for his own 'Theft' definition,
That's because I didn't actually cite anyone, nor did I claim to have, contrary to you, who signals that when you're just keeping the format when you copypaste.

> (Much less being that would hold any weigh in a court of law where you'd get shut down by a judge in a heart-beat and then fined.)
You're, again, missing the central issue here. I would get fined, yes, nobody is disputing that - But I wouldn't get fined for "theft", I would get fined for copyright infringement. In fact, I unless I do this to a huge extent, I wouldn't even get fined under criminal law, but civil law.
>>
>>53995917
>But I wouldn't get fined for "theft", I would get fined for copyright infringement.
Addendum: Theft and copyright infringement are neither super-, nor subcategories of each other.
>>
File: ohgosh.png (28KB, 500x223px) Image search: [Google]
ohgosh.png
28KB, 500x223px
>>53995284
>somebody saved that article I used to post in order to bump the thread
>>
>>53992351
Fucking awesome anon!
>>
File: IMG_9731.jpg (178KB, 1920x1240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9731.jpg
178KB, 1920x1240px
I was watching a review by the game boy geek and I got disappointed with the pros and cons he stated (mainly the cons).

I understand that theme is important to some people and if the theme doesn't resonate with them then that detracts a lot from the game, I get that. However, I don't really agree with reviewers who say that them not liking the theme of a game is a negative about the game, that's purely subjective. I don't see a problem with reviewers stating if the theme is a turn on/off for them but using their personal taste to tell me what makes a game bad kind of feels like a cop out to me. What do you all think?
>>
>>53997139
>might be to luck based for some
>to
>>
>>53994831
I don't feel like driving to seattle and putin won't sell me any mid-range ballistic missiles.
>>
>>53997341
Try North Korea, I hear they're working on that sort of thing lately.
>>
File: bryn victorious.png (552KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bryn victorious.png
552KB, 1200x1000px
I dunno what's more fun to wake up to; anons starting a fight on piracy vs theft, or getting STEEV to admit he's part of the fake Russian collusion.
>>
Getting the thread back on topic, what are you guys playing today?
>>
>>53998389

Just got Valley of the Kings last night so I'm hoping to play that today with the wife. First deckbuilder I own (besides Mage Knight I suppose) so I'm expanding my meager collection a bit. The unique mechanics and theme have me pretty excited to try it.
>>
>>53998389
I finished gathering up the good board games you can play online. I'll play one of these:

>boardgame arena
Race for the Galaxy
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico
Im Wandel der Zeiten (Through the Ages)
Jaipur
Diamant
Troyes
Die Arena von Tash-Kalar (Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends)
Celestia
Lords of Xidit
Go
K2
Tokaido
Troyes
>brettspielwelt.de
7 Wonders
Carcassonne
Funkenschlag (Power Grid)
Siedler von Catan (Settlers of Catan)
>boiteajeux.net
Agricola
Deus
Die Burgen von Burgund (Castles of Burgundy)
Concordia
Dungeon Lords
Dungeon Petz
Trajan
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
>daysofwonder.com
Ticket to Ride
Memoir '44
>triqqy.com
Lost Cities
Tigris & Euphrates
Ra
>secrethitler.gg
Secret Hitler
>play-agricola.com
Agricola

Note that Boardgame Arena is optimized for real-time games while Boiteajeux is optimized for longer, turn-based games, with its minimum 12 hours of turn time. There's also Yucata, but their games don't interest me, besides Castles of Burgundy, which you can play on other sites. Yucata also doesn't have a minimum turn time.
>>
Diamant or Incan Gold?
>>
>>53994987
sounds like you need to invite your friend for some "afterboardgame lessons"
>>
File: vp8jU5X.gif (789KB, 444x272px) Image search: [Google]
vp8jU5X.gif
789KB, 444x272px
>>54000028
Diamant, even if you have to import from Canada or the EU. The production quality on the new Iello edition is fantastic, and fuck EGG.
>tfw spent $20 extra to get For Sale and Diamant brought back with family on trips to Provence last year
>>
Most appropriately named board game?
>>
>>53995284
Top hat master race here
>>
>>53998389
I played a bit of the Elder Sign app today - almost got that dickhead Yig sealed away with no casualties, but then I flubbed a few encounters and the Doom track went up to full.
>>
>>53997139
I find that usually you get a reviewer that resonates with you, likes similar things you like. So calling it a con makes sense in that line of thought.
>>
>>54000231
Best team I've come up with (and the only guy I can't beat yet is that fucking Ithaqua)
>Sister Mary
start the day without penalty and unlock anything that cropped up
>Joe Diamond
Free 2nd reroll to clear out the nastiest encounter available (alternately Mandy's good for 2 dice reroll w/o clues)
>Kate
Clear a terror encounter, or make sure to not spawn monsters before clock comes around and causes extra penalties
>Jenny Barnes
She destroys with both extra dice for the cost of a single item, and can almost always clear out any other worlds I leave up for her
>>
Okay, just got into an argument with my game mates about à fucking simple game so I'm gonna ask here:
Can you flip tunnel cards upside down in Saboteur ?
The rules explicitly say "the cards must be placed in the same fashion" but how do you check if the players took care of doing so?
>>
>>53999931
So are all these against other people (either in real time or turn based)?
>>
>>54000125
>Most appropriately named board game?
Monopoly, for the death grip it holds on normie hearts and minds and the poisonous effect its dominion has on the board game hobby.
>>
>>54001036
Yes, they're all against human players. Board game arena also allows you to play against AI, though.

As for real-time/round-based:

boardgame arena: primarily intended for real-time play, sometimes optional turn-based play
brettspielwelt.de: real-time
boteajeux: turn-based, intended for long games (due to high minimum turn timer of 12 hours)
triqqy.com: turn-based
secrethitler.gg: turn-based
play-agricola.com: real-time
>>
>>54001142
Thanks friend
>>
>>53952753
Look, I dont like it either, but they insist on this whole life thing
>>
File: IMG_0649.jpg (80KB, 764x591px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0649.jpg
80KB, 764x591px
Who backed it? I'm gonna need someone to play with
>>
>Hm, can't buy this game around here, how expensive can it be to directly import the game from the publisher?
>€50
>>
>>54002567
>custom dice
>x1
I'm not sure if my OCD is offended more that changing up the 6 pip side of a d6 is considered "custom" or the grammar
>>
>>53998389
Played our first game of Merchants and Marauders yesterday, was having a pretty good time being a filthy pirate until a Spanish man o' war blew my shit up as I went to stop one of the other players from winning. Pretty fun game, doesn't take as long as some people claim either.

>>53998487
Nice, hope you like it anon as it's my favorite deck builder.
>>
>>54003086

It always bug me too. I've even seen it in many rules
>>
When boardgame night happens, are you the host more often, or other people? Do you tend to be the owner of the game more often than not, or do the others also have a collection?
>>
>>53994919
pretty good
>>
Deak Kickstarter giving away rules, cards, and terrain template PDFs for this week,
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2060871444/conan-rise-of-monsters-relaunch/description
>>
>coming friday going to play the introduction game of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons
>then play a game on saturday and sunday
The autism consumes me, its a good kind of pain
>>
>>54004091
How difficult was it to teach and/or learn M&M?
>>
>>53986126
>>53986284
>>53987057
That fucking web site - my eyes - holy shit
https://summoning-of-evil.myshopify.com/
>>
>>54004243
I own all the games and carry them to the house of the one guy in the group who owns a bachelor pad
>>
>>54004243
Initially I was the host, but now we cycle. I own a few games, and one other person owns a few games.
>>
>>54004243
I own the games pretty much universally, but tend to now be the host since most of my group live near each other and I'm farther away.
>>
>>54005071
Not very, there's a couple good rules walkthroughs on YouTube and the player aids are pretty good as well.
>>
>>54004243
I don't host but I'm the one who owns the games and brings them
>>
File: lets play some nomic.jpg (52KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
lets play some nomic.jpg
52KB, 728x546px
So what's the point of this game?
>>
>>54004243
I own most of the games, two of the other people usually host (taking turns).
>>
>>54008369
Sounds like Fluxx.
>>
>>54007326
Do you know if it's easy for non gamers to pick it up?
>>
>>54008369
>>54008981
Or Calvinball
>>
>>53997865
>fake Russian collusion
Those Russians are amazing at psyops, a little hacking here and there and they throw half the US's faith in the election system in the garbage.
>>
>>54009335
>Russians are amazing at psyops.
Well, Transylvanians, really.
>>
>>54003086
What annoys me about changing one side of a die to some logo is that you now have a mini advertisement whenever you use that die
>>
File: Like monster from movie, yes.jpg (13KB, 294x391px) Image search: [Google]
Like monster from movie, yes.jpg
13KB, 294x391px
>>54009482
I understood that reference.
>>
File: v.png (2MB, 945x1006px) Image search: [Google]
v.png
2MB, 945x1006px
Has this happened enough for you to consider it cliche and/pr cheesy?
>>
File: pic2946142_lg[1].jpg (314KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
pic2946142_lg[1].jpg
314KB, 1024x575px
After owning it for 3 months, I'm finally going to get the chance to play Millennium Blades this Saturday! I'm hyped. I had to keep putting it off because we had other stuff to get through and there always seems to be one person in the group who says "that sounds dumb", but now the stars have aligned! I've got a group that all likes the idea and a night where I get to pick the game!
>>
File: 1404189279307.jpg (293KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1404189279307.jpg
293KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>54010952
those are the names of places mostly you fucking idiot
>>
>>54011681
wut game plz?
>>
>>54010952
Nice meme, friendo. Made me exhale slightly.

But it's not really true. A more accurate version might be
>euro games named after places or words from (non-english) european languages

Somebody make a version of that image but for abstract games. Also, bonus points for:
>Title is all-caps
>Title includes a Q, Z, X, or K
>Title is close to a real word, but a slight change
>Title sounds Japanese
>Title sounds Latin
>>
>>54009285
Mmmm, maybe? My group are all seasoned gamers, but there's nothing too difficult to wrap your head around in the game. Check out a play through or a rules video and see if you think your friends could handle it.
>>
>>53986084
Nope, Its a one-unit-faction. HQ is boss and the rest of the deck is support for this boss. Sounds interesting, but actually its pretty boring and trashy faction. Worse than Dancer and i dont like Dance (but, again, idea was great, execution is shitty).
>>
>>54010952
>Eurogames that sound weird to ignorant nitwits.

De vulgari eloquentia - a linguistical analysis by Dante Alighieri
Vinhos - "Wine" in portuguese
Lignum - "Wood" in latin
Targi - A saharian nomadic nation
Myrmes - Greek root for "ants"
Gonzaga - An italian noble family name, and a city.
Basilica - Name for a high-ranked catholic temple.
Alhambra - A moorish fortified city in Spain
Inis - A celtic king
Bretagne - "Britain" in french
Keydom - Made up word, Bleasdale and Breese put "Key" in all their games
Carcassonne - A fortified city in southern France
Hacienda - Spanish word for a large estate.
Signorie - Italian word for governing authorities or lordships
Hermagor - A town in southern austria
>>
>>54011681
>>54011753
That... looks a lot like Talisman.
>>
File: abstract one.png (2MB, 840x894px) Image search: [Google]
abstract one.png
2MB, 840x894px
>>54011887
>>
>>53987336
Bumping my q.
>>
>>54011134
It's...okay. There's nothing particularly bad about it, but there's nothing particularly good about it either. Fingers crossed your group gets more out of it than mine did.
>>
>>54004243
I own and host. Most of my friends aren't as massively into games as my wife and I are.
>>
>>53994621
In reality, it's because you can visit a brothel ingame.
>>
Did someone here back this? How long do you think GMT will keep adding titles to the COIN series? I'm afraid that Pendragon will be too long and complex to be enjoyed. Opinions?
>>
So I want a worker placement game with a "fun/interesting" theme (I play with normies and they can't look past the game).
I narrowed my choices to Dungeon Petz and Champions of Midgard (+valhalla expansion). What do you think I should get ? Do you have other suggestions ?

PS : I plan on getting Robinson Crusoe too but it's a coop and I'm searching for a competitive game right now.
>>
>>54011134

Enjoy! I always have a blast when I play. It's one of those games I'll obsess over in my head after a game thinking of what other strategies I'll employ next time, and hope that next time is the next day. Unfortunately it doesn't hit the table much but my group does enjoy it when we play.
>>
>>54012297
It is
>>
>>54012798
>How long do you think GMT will keep adding titles to the COIN series?
As long as conflicts that "fit the system," so to speak, can be found I guess. Afaik apart from the Ghandi game that's on the P500 there's a fair few conflicts that are (or at some point were) being developed for the COIN series:

Somalia
Ireland 1918-1922
China-Japan 1937-1941
Marcos-era Phillipines (possible 3-player)
Yugoslavia post-WW2
Palestine 82-83
Gangs of New York (same designer as Liberty or Death, supposedly "short" play time)

>I'm afraid that Pendragon will be too long and complex to be enjoyed. Opinions?
Maybe, though from what I've heard Fire in the Lake was both quite popular but also long and complex. Pendragon is supposed to be about the same I think, maybe a little bit heavier.
>>
>>54013304
>Gangs of New York (same designer as Liberty or Death, supposedly "short" play time)
Damn, this one woulda been amazing.
>>
>>53994811
I would play this game
>>
>>53998389
Just picked up Arkham Horror LCG. Gonna try solo mode today.
>>
>>54012851

What's their capacity for heavier games? If they can handle lots of options I might recommend Argent the Consortium. You're a dean in a magical school whose headmaster position just opened up, but you must get elected by the Consortium first. The catch is each member of the Consortium votes based on a different criteria, most of which are hidden at the start of the game. Your workers have unique abilities and can cast spells to injure or move other workers.

Only catch is it might be hard to find first editions right now but a second edition reprint Kickstarter is right around the corner.
>>
File: 1497985772012.gif (134KB, 393x393px) Image search: [Google]
1497985772012.gif
134KB, 393x393px
>>54012798
Speaking of GMT P500,
>waiting for SPQR to pop

At its current rate it'll be another year.
>>
>>54013304
Pendragon just looks shit to be honest. Far too much random and complexity for complexities sake.
>>
>>54013304
It is true that FtL is very complex, but, on the other hand, the Vietnam War is extremely popular and well known. Is the fall of roman Britain a very popular theme in anglo saxon countries? (I just don't know, I'm from Italy). I am surprised by the 2000 and more preorders.
>>
>>54013727
>Is the fall of roman Britain a very popular theme in anglo saxon countries? (I just don't know, I'm from Italy).
King fucking Arthur is.
>>
>Somalia
>Ireland 1918-1922
>China-Japan 1937-1941
>Marcos-era Phillipines (possible 3-player)
>Yugoslavia post-WW2
>Palestine 82-83
>Gangs of New York (same designer as Liberty or Death, supposedly "short" play time)

Very interesting! Where did you find them?
>>
>>54013746
Fair note.
>>
>>54013634
Could be, I've not had a look at the rules and such of Pendragon desu. That said, and in answer to >>54013727 as well, I'm assuming Roman history in general is pretty popular.

>>54013749
An old geeklist here

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208026/guide-gmt-gamess-coin-series

Some of them haven't had updates in a very long time, hence the (at some point), but given the success of the COIN series I'd expect GMT to push out as many of them that turn out good as they can.
>>
>>54013913
Thanks!
>>
>>54010952
How about "Euro games that feature exactly 1 person looking at you"
>>
>>54012851
I'm on a similar position, here's my research so far:

CoM is very thematic but there's the dice rolling.
Manhattan Project is quite thematic but a bit on the shallow side.
Argent: The consortium is also thematic, but a bit heavy and direct, also hard to get.
Archipielago is amazing, but quite heavy and not a pure worker placement.
Tzolkin is very cool, but people have different opinions on it because it's weird.

Personally I'll probably just get Caverna after all and have people suck it up.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.