[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 30

File: 1473927172008.jpg (449KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473927172008.jpg
449KB, 900x600px
Last thread:
>>53745840
Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of? Overpriced? Rare edition/printings? What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?
>>
For a while, it was me and Corto... now I guess it's Star Trek Catan.
>>
>>53836504
Did you find a copy of Corto finally, or is that dream dead forever?
>>
Twilight Imperium Expansions. Both go for absurd prices because Fantasy Flight hasn't reprinted them in over a year.
>>
>>53836700
No, I finally found a copy... I paid more than I'd have liked (£36 - my goal was £25, but I was too late for that) but I got it.
>>
>>53836153
>what can you never seem to find a copy of?
Catan: Explorers & Pirates took me a long time to find. I recently picked up a copy in New Hampshire on a day trip. The store I went to had every Catan expansion, their 5-6 player extensions, and sizable collection of other board games by category.
There aren't any board game shops anywhere nearby and toy stores either had Base Catan or nothing at all.
Also, I posted in the last /bgg/ about Xia. If I can find a solid copy for less than $100 I'll buy it.
>>
>>53836153
>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of? Overpriced? Rare edition/printings?

I blame Minifig! I never even knew there was a 'Groo' board game. I see it and the expansion from time to time, but it's always at $tupid high prices.

> What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?

The box has some damage, but the contents are near mint - a copy of the old Avalon Hill solo game "Raid on St. Nazaire". Such a good game.
>>
>>53837516
>Also, I posted in the last /bgg/ about Xia. If I can find a solid copy for less than $100 I'll buy it.

Take a look at the Board Game Geek bazaar - I see at least one that would fit your criteria if you're looking for an English language copy.
>>
>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of?
Nothing really, everything can be found these days
>Overpriced?
Oh yeah, sure, I used to really want Star Wars Queen's Gambit and Epic duels. But I'm pretty sick of star wars now I have to say.
>Rare edition/printings?
Havent found a reason to care for a particular printing.
What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?
Well, if heroscape was completely gone I'd have a hard time parting with it. (as it stands, if someone offeres me 5000 bucks for it, I'd take it, I'd be able to buy an even bigger collection for that sum. mwahahaha)
>>
>>53836153
>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of? Overpriced?
I guess for me it'd be the expansions to the Space Hulk Death Angle card game. Each one is ~$25 and I can't justify spending that much on them as much as I want to
>>
>>53836834
aren't they both about to get a reprint soon?
>>
File: 607503620.jpg (54KB, 512x457px) Image search: [Google]
607503620.jpg
54KB, 512x457px
I put off Among the Stars at the end of last year and it's been out of stock everywhere since. I'd love to find a (new) copy of that for ~$35-40.

I realized about a week ago that Nitroplus Card Masters is just a reskin of Dominion, so now I'm looking for a good price. I don't think I've seen any of the 4(?) sets for under $150 so far, so fuck me. They also have first editions with extra stuff, so double fuck me.
>>
>>53836153
Apart from the forever-out-of-reach Dune, I'd like to get a copy of Splendor priced according to the components and not the box size.
>>
Thank you 'Amazon Anon' from the previous thread. My copies of Treasure Hunter and 'Armageddon - From the ground up' arrived. I've got Meeples for days! It's sweet when you can spend $30 and get $100 retail worth of games delivered to your door. I have no idea if Armageddon is good or not, but for $15 how far wrong can I go? I was considering it before but wasn't a fan of the nearly $70 price tag.
>>
>>53841336
Let me guess, that card is the market. I was considering that maid card game, but no need to learn a new game for my animu boobies. Thank you based Japan.

Hell, maybe they can finally make a good client with that game
>>
>>53839744
>>
File: ray3.jpg (6KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
ray3.jpg
6KB, 269x187px
>>53839744
>tfw bought both in shrink for $20 each
>>
File: 1497104570888.jpg (356KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1497104570888.jpg
356KB, 1365x2048px
My local store just got Blood Rage and it's priced at some 90 euros, give or take. I don't particularly like the theme, but is the game good? And I mean really good, not mild, or just another case of overrated garbage like Scythe? I see redditors claim it's better than Kemet.
>>
>>53841368
>I'd like to get a copy of Splendor priced according to the components and not the box size
Same here anon. I like Splendor but not enough to shell out $40 for it
>>
>>53843620
Check out this post last thread >>>53782009
>>
>>53843620
I've only gotten to play it once, but it's ok; it's not going to be my favorite drafting game ever, not going to be my favorite dudes on a map ever, but I'd play it again. Granted I was at the end of a long week and brain dead so I might not've gotten the most out of it, the minis are really nice, but that's standard for CMoN
>>
>>53836153
>>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of?
The nonexistant Forbidden Stars expac.
>What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?
CitOW.
>>
>>53836153
can I get a quick rundown on Jaipur and trains meme?
>>
>>53844436
Anon(s?) spammed Jaipur posts every day for a couple weeks, made a couple OP's with
>why is pic related the greatest game ever designed?
as header, and posted BGG pics of a DIY ultradeluxe version some guy crafted claiming it was going to be produced officially for USD $60. Jaipurfag and his autistic trolling stopped eventually, but he is surely still around.

Ask Minifig about maglev trains.

Then someone put >>53836153 together to commemorate the trend.
>>
>>53844356
>The non-existant Forbidden Stars expac.

No shiz! I would have loved an expansion with the Nids in it. Yet again, GeeDubs finds a way to fuck up a side game.
>>
Anybody back the Mega Man board game or have a pdf of the rules? I know the game is complete shit but I'm just curious to see how bad they fucked everything up
>>
>>53836153
>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of? Overpriced? Rare edition/printings?
It hasn't been a long hunt yet but it's looking like Conan may end up here.

>What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?
Right now, Yggrasil
>>
>>53845233
>It hasn't been a long hunt yet but it's looking like Conan may end up here.
$100 for one third of a game, fuck that.
>>
>>53845259
Yeah, it's that third of a game that's the problem. By all accounts its pretty great, but so much is locked behind KS exclusives that you'd pretty much have to find somebody selling a pledge edition to really "get" Conan.
>>
>>53845329
I don't back KS's with non-cosmetic exclusive content on principle.
>>
File: chevaliers du ciel.jpg (57KB, 352x272px) Image search: [Google]
chevaliers du ciel.jpg
57KB, 352x272px
Breadpill me on Xenoshyft.

I've played a metric ungodly shitload of Dominion and other deckbuilders, and I have some extremely high quality co-op/solo games in the form of a solid LotR LCG collection & Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Ops.

Is there anything for me in Xenoshyft that I haven't seen a million times?
>>
Can someone fill me in on how Human Interface plays? It looks nice aesthetically, but I have heard some bad things about the actual gameplay.
>>
Any games suited for 3 players other than Hanabi? We've tried some, but they are underwhelming with less than 4 players.
>>
>>53845233
>It hasn't been a long hunt yet but it's looking like Conan may end up here.
I'm content to wait on the batman reskin.
>>
>>53847977
???
>>
>>53847977
No doubt another shitty kikescammer which will kill retail sales due to 2/3rds of the game being unavailable.
>>
>>53848843
http://www.beastsofwar.com/batman-the-board-game/monolith-announces-big-project/
>>
File: savage planet.png (607KB, 680x665px) Image search: [Google]
savage planet.png
607KB, 680x665px
Imagine a mix between Vampire: The Eternal Struggle and Dominion, laced with combat that reminds me of Magic. Plus it has a really cool theme and artwork, though the artwork really is a matter of taste. Check it out.
>>
>>53847623
Legendary: A Marvel deck-building game
>>
>>53843620
I've played it about 6 times now. The draft seems like a case of them riding the drafting train anda lazy balance method. Some cards are op and it's not about picking which op you want, some are good, and a few are niche and only work if you have a specific gameplan.

The actual marketing is crap. You don't go out murdering others all the time. Unless you have a specific setup you just burn yourself out and others take it from there. The game is more about careful area control, bluffing and picking your battles. There is a lot of player agency though. If you fuck up you lose consistently. Some people dislike that later ages have more weight, but I say it is balanced enough. Later ages also can pass faster so if you have the advantage you can use that as leverage. It is noob unfriendly though, getting one new player can really help someone else as he doesn't draft well and can suicide on someone when he shouldn't.

I haven't played Kemet but I did pay Cyclades. Cyclades has almost perfect knowledge and you are really limited, you have to set up multiple venues of attack to succeed. And it's balancing tool is bidding. In BR the turns are more flexible but you play more defencifly because you don't know what others drafted.
>>
>>53850469
It is about picking the OP you want*
>>
Name 3 things that automatically make you lose interest in a game. I'll go first.

Pseudo-DLC exclusive content, especially if the game feels incomplete without it.
Blatant IP cashgrab, plastering theme over a mediocre game,
Games where the main strategy is being the loudest, most obnoxious fucker in the room.
>>
>>53847623
Epic card game?
>>
>>53850636
Game is 70%+ card based/has no physical boards.
Almost completely luck based.
Is based on Vietnam or the Pacific theatre of WWII.
>>
>>53850636
>No player agency-you just hope and pray you get lucky enough to win
>Content is unavailable if you didn't back it on kickstarter
>The game looks fantastic but plays like complete shit
>>
>>53850636

Dice.
>>
>>53850636
Collectible games featuring randomly inserted booster packs of cards/dice. AKA pay2win
Forced app integration
Overhyped, overrated games and designers, shilling of bullshit KS
>>
>>53847623
Viticulture, Mottinai, Ticket to Ride
>>53850636
Random points-scoring
Stocks are involved somehow
Massive downtime between turns
>>
>>53850636

>IP or Theme I don't care for.
This is probably the biggest killer for me ("Comic Book" being the largest miss), a reason why I'll still probably be looking for a reasonable price on a complete Conan rather than even looking at the alleged Batman reskin. Now, there are situations like Arcane Academy -- I only found out it was based on some comic after I played because the Wizard School theme was perfectly serviceable without that, but in general if I don't give a shit about or dislike your theme, I probably won't mess with your game.

>Everywhere shitty art
... I realize now that my three points aren't going to actually speak to game quality, but I feel like "It's a bad game" is a no-brainer. So, yeah, when I'm not busy being a shitposting, /tg/-playing autist I'm a Caterer and one thing that's taught me is to not be ashamed when I insist that presentation matters! It really does. I can do abstract games with no art and an elegant design, but if you throw BAD art everywhere, then you are dangerously close to losing my patience, which for a game is a most dangerous thing to do.

>Loads and loads of locked content
Look, I don't totally hate KS exclusives, even ones that (theoretically) have game content. Look at Relic Knights: they have a few cosplay models (with different stats from their normal forms) that can only be got through KS, late pledge, or hinted at cons and shit after, and a couple pure cosmetics for during-campaign only. That's OK. I look at some other kickstarters that have like one extra piece or a couple bonus action cards that were for backers, and I'm not going to be too upset. But when you get something where meaty fucking content becomes forever unavailable, it's a real buzzkill. I might still chase it, but it's a lot less likely than if there were a method even a "wait around for the KS content to come out over the course of a couple slow-rolled expansions" method, to get "everything" at retail.
>>
>>53837833
Is there anything terribly different between the 2014 First Edition and the second printing in 2015? One on bgg said it doesn't have any of the Kickstarter exclusives.

>>53850636
Games where the fastest person always wins, random combat & dice chucking (i.e. Risk), anything to do with zombies
>>
>>53851435
Found the eurofag. Man it must have hurt when your god Rosenberg came to the side of the RNG with Feast for Odin.
>>
>>53847623
7 Wonders
>>
>>53847623
Splendor
>>
>>53847623
Le Havre is pretty great at three, at least from what I've experienced
>>
>tfw I only just remembered I bought inAbind at the Expo, because it's that damn tiny
>>
>>53851706

You merely embraced the grognard.
I was born in it. Molded by it.

Your casual-tier "lolsorandomXD" metrosexual nu-nerd gaymer-games are of no account to me. I have no idea who Rosenberg is and I know nothing about Feast For Odin at all.
>>
Alright /tg/ tell me about your boardgame ideas.
>>
>Overpriced
All of them, they are imported and the import tax where I live is retarded. Paid $120 for fucking KONY last week.
>>
>>53855757
>I have no idea who Rosenberg is and I know nothing about Feast For Odin at all.

Translation: "I live in my parent's basement, and all they let me play is Scrabble."
>>
>>53856450
'Straya?
>>
>>53857419
If it is he got ripped off big time. Our prices are bad, but not that bad.
>>
>>53857734
I'm thinking it's much more likely to be South America. Sadly their postal service is notoriously unreliable.
>>
Anyone played Scythe? Seems good for five players, but how does it hold up 1v1?
>>
>>53856214
Die Hard: The Board Game
Simple as fuck take-that where you're playing students trying to clean your rooms before your parents arrive.
Tough Mudder: The Card Game The game itself would be almsot insultingly simple, and would exist more to let people know how fucking difficult that shit is and how you shouldn't just turn up with the idea that it'll be a step up from a fucking jungle gym, like some participants assume it'll be
>>
File: 1123617906919.gif (79KB, 255x450px) Image search: [Google]
1123617906919.gif
79KB, 255x450px
>>53858524
>(it) would exist more to let people know how fucking difficult that shit is and how you shouldn't just turn up with the idea that it'll be a step up from a fucking jungle gym, like some participants assume it'll be

look out for this asshole with something to prove.
>>
>>53857953
I don't own it but I wanna try it on TTS
>>
>>53857953
Boring as hell as a multiplayer but an amazing puzzle game solo.
>>
>>53850636
Expensive games (mostly applies to card games or games that feel incomplete without expansions)
Games where dice chucking is used to solve everything to the point it becomes just rolling dice with no real strategy involved (See: Risk. I can bear it on things like KOT even, but fuck risk)
Games that try to be "poor videogames" instead of levaring the physicality and social aspect of board gaming.
2 player games, see previous point.
>>
>>53857419
Nope.

>>53857887
Ding ding ding. 50% tax on all imports, plus shipping costs, unreliable postal service, importers making a profit if you don't import yourself, etc.
>>
>>53858657
Minifig's usually full of shit, but he's got a point - Tough Mudder is mostly run by tryhards looking to prove something. Thing is, only about 50-75% of those tryhards bothered to do any training, and that 25-50% are the main reason paramedics are onsite at those things... well, that and the exposed electrical wires dangling over parts of the course. And the tent full of tear gas. And the waterslide with fire at the bottom

tl;dr, Tough Mudder is bullshit shenanigans, as are all of these stupid obstacle courses.
>>
can somebody redpill me on the act of buying games?

So I've been into the hobby for about a year now, and I've been using miniature market, coolstuffinc, bgg market, and amazon depending on which has the best prices specifically for what i want at the time or sometimes just based on availability. I tend to favor miniature market though.

Anyways, I was wondering if I'm missing something? any tips?

Also, I'm interested in buying several games from oink games as well as some jacques zeimet games and I feel like there must be some way to get like a bundle or something.... I figure i could just buy the individual games i want one by one but that almost feels painful considering its all the same people lol... and just in general some of these games aren't available from my usual places i order from.

Any advice super appreciated! thanks in advance :^)
>>
File: ogf.jpg (9KB, 295x171px) Image search: [Google]
ogf.jpg
9KB, 295x171px
>>53860676
I go to conventions and barter with the big board game sellers right at the end as they're getting ready to pack up. Typically, if you offer to pay cash and pick out a few games they'll usually give you a good price.
No guarantees though. Had one guy get really mad at me once. He had tons of stock left and kept shouting "bullshit" really loud when I'd tell him his counter-offers were worse than amazon prices, even when I had them brought up on my phone to show him. I was so embarrassed by his behavior I just put the games on the ground in front of him and walked away.

The last day of Origins is tomorrow, and that's where I get some pretty good deals. Got Star Wars Rebellion last year for $60 (from the coolstuff inc booth, i think) and the anniversary edition of galaxy trucker (the one with all the expansions) for $50 from a place that had a stack of them 6 ft high.

Speaking of Origins, anyone else going to be there tomorrow?
>>
>>53860676
>>53860835
Oh, I forgot, also sometimes the big company booths will sell their open games used for demos at the end of a convention too, you just need to ask. you just need to double check the contents to make sure nothings missing. I've got some new stuff for very good prices that way. They really weren't too worn or grimy either.
>>
>>53860835
>>53860861
Thanks for the great advice! Haven't been to a convention yet :0 but I've been thinking about it! Just not in a great financial position at the moment. In any case, i appreciate the insight and hope to apply your advice in the future.
>>
What's the opinion on 504?
Seems like a dumb gimmick that just nets a ton of subpar games, but may be an interesting pick to test different types of board games or something?
>>
>>53855757
Casualfag located
>>
>>53860676
>Amazon has sales during big cons (Essen/Gencon)
>CSI buying/selling module
Edit your front page, put this near the top, check it twice a day at least
>CSI unwritten hold policy
Same idea as MM, different rules/method; set delivery option to pickup (main store Maitland?) then when you hit free shipping, email ask to ship out and refund sales tax, downside only one daily deal allowed with this
>Rewards programs
Fuck em, MM is a pittance and the CSI % off isn't really worth it; there is pretty much always a coupon up for CSI $5 off $75 though, if you hit an order for $100, use the coupon to drop it you'll still get the free shipping
>Black Friday/Xmas
Good sales, but it might require loss of sleep to get some of those lightning deals online for one hour only, or getting to stores
>B&N Clearance (might be dead there's "employee" reports saying yes/no)
Corporate owned stores are required to have their shelves set a certain way, so red dot sales will start at 50% off and ramp up to 75-90% after a month or so when they need to make room for new product, just grab it at 50% and save the headache

>>53860835
>>53860861
Adding onto this, drop by the booth on the early days, and talk up the staff (better if you know they're not a volunteer getting a badge out of it but actual employee). Ask about the games, even if you've already researched, and ask pointed questions, you want them to remember you. If they think you're waffling and close to a sale they'll be even more likely to set you up on the final day. I've gotten more than a few deals at Gencon this way

Smaller cons you're likely to have no publishers and just retailers in a vendor hall. This is going to screw you a bit more because they're getting less profit off a sale than a publisher not going through wholesaler/distribution. Talking them up helps, but you're looking at usually a 10-20% off at best; you can get that at your LGS if you talk them up enough.
>>
>>53861633
>Seems like a dumb gimmick that just nets a ton of subpar games
It is.
>>
File: HO HO HO NOW I HAVE AN MP40.png (255KB, 473x378px) Image search: [Google]
HO HO HO NOW I HAVE AN MP40.png
255KB, 473x378px
>>53858524
>Die Hard: The Board Game
I didn't know I needed this.
>>
>>53858956
I wish we had obstacle courses like that, American Ninja Warrior is a fucking joke.
>>
>>53862040
>roll and move combined with a spinner for combat resolution
We're not allowed to have nice things STEEV, you know that
>>
>>53850636

1. Anything with zombies/the zombie apocalypse as a focus. holy fuck I am so burned out on zombies.

2. games that say they can be played "with 2-X people" but actually are pretty much worthless unless you have a minimum of 4 and/or need even numbers of players to make it play well

3. kickstarter games that have a huge chunk of their game locked behind their KS. I've really enjoyed backing a few games, but there's some that are just ridiculous. Like if you don't get in on it during the KS campaign then you're going to get 50% of the game unless you hunt down a KS edition or all the individual pieces
>>
>>53862544
>or all the individual pieces
I'm okay with the KS offering bundle deals if the expacs-to-be aren't essential to the health of the game. Like, Blood Rage locked some almost essential content behind pay post-launch, but Scythe just had an extra large board, game trays, and resin and metal resource tokens.
>>
Anybody see the kickstarter for a game called Street Masters? I'm feeling 50/50 on backing it. On the one hand it looks like a lot of fun, and i love co-op games especially ones with a single player option. On the other hand, it seems like the only way to get the bulk of the game is to go in on the higher price point option and then you're paying an extra $20 on boss cards. I'm just not sure about spending that much money right now on one game.

Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
>>53856214
Scavenger: A post-apocalyptic survival game.
Never got far with this one. The basic idea was that at the beginning of the game players would decide on or randomly draw a scenario that describes what kind of apocalypse happened and what they need to do to win. E.g. a zombie apocalypse would have them collect building materials to fortify their base while a virus would have them search for a batch of medicine to stave off the effects of the virus. Working against them would be time, their own need for food, enemies in some scenarios or possibly other players who have their own individual victory conditions. Scrapped it because it got too complicated and would probably have taken longer to play than Arkham Horror.

Scare Crew: A Scooby-Doo inspired hidden movement/trap-laying game where one player takes the role of a "ghost" who tries to scare the other players out of a castle/mansion/etc, while the other players try to investigate the place or unmask the "ghost". Mentioned it here a few weeks ago and have written down a few pages of rules and character ideas since then, but haven't had the time to start making the board and other material.

I also once made a simple two-player combat game based on the Mega Man Battle Network games. Each player got one half of a 3x6 grid that they could move around in. Both players would put down two cards, one for movement and one for attack and reveal them simultaneously. If, after movement, a player was on a field the opponent's attack could hit he would recieve the attack. The player who could first reduce the opponent to 0HP wins. Game took about 5-10 minutes to play for one round.
Worked surprisingly well for a game that I essentially came up with in a single afternoon.
>>
>>53856214
It's a garbage gimmick card game where you need to roll dice to solve card effects when you play them.
>>
>>53856214
Basically CitOW/Rex but Bloodborne.
>>
>>53856214
Heroes of Might & Magic as a board game. Never got farther then wishing it was a thing.

And yes I know someone made a licensed game, but it sucks so it doesn't count.
>>
>>53851706
There's a shitload of classic eurogames (Castles of Burgundy, Kingsburg, etc.) that use dice.

The question is whether the dice are used to make game decisions more complex or more simple. Ameritrash games use dice to make player skill less relevant. This is the real problem, not the dice themselves.

(A Feast for Odin falls squarely into the 'more complex' camp, so sorry, nobody came to your shitty side.)
>>
>>53866025
I've been wanting to create my own game based off of the combat of Mega Man Battle Network but it looks like you've beaten me to it
>>
>>53856214
Guys

Guys hear me out

I got it, guys

Guys?

Zombies!
>>
>>53868077
How about this
Zombies
Drafting
Bidding
Steampunk
Kickstarter exclusive
Miniature
Dudes on the map
Point salad
>>
>>53868166
How about we add buying slaves to the mix?
>>
Can someone explain CMON's business model? Those fuckers give you a 30 day window to buy one of their games on Kickstarter, which if you by some chance missed then you can kiss the fucking game goodbye since it's completely pointless to buy it from retail with the amount of exclusives you'll miss, never mind the retail version having much less shit in it and being the same price.

Just discovered a game that I'd love to have but the Kickstarter has already ended a while ago, so now I'm basically never going to get that game.
>>
>>53868403
Didn't the Haitians already try Zombies as slave labor? I don't think it was really the 'value added' business measure. Turns out the ROI was terrible.
>>
>>53868671
>Can someone explain CMON's business model?

It's called 'Buy Mah Shiz Now! cause later is to late.'
>>
>>53868671
This was a big part of their split from Sodapop Minis; combined with their old MAP policy (no discounts period on a game less than a year old) it pissed off a lot of people. They're not quite as bad these days with KS exclusives, a lot of the Zombicide ones have cards on the web and can be proxied but there's still more than a few games that end up with paywalls of ebay gougers or expansions. The key is to ignore anything CMoN with plastic, and stick to the games they buy up from indie publishers and distribute.

Curious though; what's the game you looked at?
>>
I'm new to board games. Here's what I'm planning to buy now:

The Resistance: Avalon
Dead of Winter: The Long Night
Pandemic
Pandemic: In the Lab
Cosmic Encounter
Cosmic Encounter: Dominion
Cosmic Encounter: Incursion

And maybe those:

Celestia
Spyfall
Concordia
Welcome to the Dungeon
Kemet
Skull

I'm especially interested in Cosmic Encounter, but I think the people that would play with me want to play this one in German, rather than English. Does anyone know how good the translation is? There's one Amazon review that states that the translation has many errors (e.g. mistranslating "discard down to three" as "discard three"), and the humour seems hard to translate.

Also, where best to get board games in Europe? I'd get something from one of the UK vendors in the pastebin, but because of the Brexit, I'd lose the high consumer protection standards guaranteed by the EU. Because I'm planning to buy a lot of stuff in the near future, I want to buy from a vendor within the Common Market.
What are the big board game vendors in Europe? Should I stick to those, to supermarkets, to comic book vendors? Heidelberger Spieleverlag seems to pop up all the time. Are they alright?
>>
>>53869214
Massive Darkness, I have a hard-on for dungeon crawlers.
>>
>>53869245
Did you just go down the SUSD website and pick all the ones they say to buy? You've got some good stuff on the list but it's a lot of it trends toward party/filler game. Not a bad thing if that's what your group/friends would be into but worth considering. All pretty decent games, but I would say don't waste money on Skull (just hand some coasters to an artistic friend along with a couple markers) and I'd argue Diamant is a better push you luck option than Celestia, especially the new Iello printing being gorgeous (had it shipped from France rather than getting the old EGG edition). You might also wait on Cosmic expansions until you've played the base quite a bit; FFG doesn't make those boxes cheap, and easier to unload just the base if it's not for you.

If you're German amazon.de has such a good selection people in the US order from them to get stuff not available here, or not out yet.

>>53869431
Gotcha, was wondering if it was something /bgg/ could find you a better option on, but dungeon crawls are too personal and most here will complain no one's got it right yet.
>>
>>53869245
I personally didn't enjoy dead of winter.

Have you looked into scythe? The turn system is really great and it can move at a pretty steady pace. It's also pretty good for beginners looking to get into engine building games
>>
>>53869245
Well maybe you start with one game and once playing becomes a regular occurrence you build your collection up. If you try 3 popular games you can then work out if you like about 70% of the other games. Because many are similar
>>
>>53869513
I'm open to any suggestions, miniature medieval fantasy RPG-ish board games is what I like generally. I was looking into getting Arcadia but fuck CMON, and I'll probably be getting Sword and Sorcery since the Kickstarter wasn't a fuckfest of exclusives.
>>
>>53869245
Cosmic Encounter is garbage. Go get something like Archipelago instead.
>>
File: 1450358280185.jpg (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1450358280185.jpg
33KB, 300x300px
>>53869543
Solid advice; I started my collection buying a couple games that looked cool, and one or two that I'd had fun playtesting at cons; half of those just sit on the shelf now because they don't mesh with my friends/family. Getting stuff like TtR/Flash Point/Hanabi/Survive/Istanbul started letting me figure out what people actually liked and what I could get to the table, instead of just what I thought looked pretty and was fun.

>>53869630
AQ isn't so much a dungeon crawl as an arena game like Krosmaster, but with mobs in it. The problem I have is either games are definite races (IA/Descent/etc) or they're longer than needed slogs (I love SDE but it's very samey). I want basically what you describe but nothing's hit me quite yet; Too Many Bones looked awesome to me last year (though that was component boner) but the luck/insta-kill problems have turned me completely off it.

Related game idea per >>53856214
>campaign style dungeon crawl, short missions (90 minutes max)
>simple character classes that start stupid weak (think original Final Fantasy) that can advance to powerhouses after gaining enough xp from missions
>HoN style unit building, frames with cutous for upgrades/point buy, have to match class/slot (white mage can't take fireballs, black mage is limited to weakest armor/weapons)
>intro mission is like start of most vidya RPG where you play as the overpowered guys and stomp a tiny dungeon to learn mechanics before starting the real campaign as their squires/acolytes
>cardboard tiles, not minis (or make them a separate buy option to keep costs down)
>quarterly updates with new spells/gear, 3-4 new missions in the campaign so the game stays supported for a long time
>simple dice cancelling combat (SDE/X-wing) where you're going for hits/crits instead of multiple steps to resolve
>PvP mode where you can build a 100/150/200 pt hero or two and take them against each other
It'll never happen but I do work on it a lil every so often
>>
>>53862040
>>53862119
It's be more of an asymmetrical dungeon crawler with modular boards for each floor. Not sure how combat resolution would work, given how lethal fights were in the movie. Movement would be a risk/reward thing, with broken glass affecting how far you move.
>>
>>53869932
Hmm, I see. I'm not limiting myself to dungeon crawlers only, the medieval fantasy theme and miniatures are more important to me, since I really love painting them.
What's your take on Sword and Sorcery?
>>
>>53870115
It looked pretty intriguing when the KS was up (I don't do any KS but I always see the big ones through BGG contests) and Ares tends to do a good job with amerithrash, but I'm waiting to see how it is long term. Personally I'm looking for a dungeon crawl somewhere between old school vidya from my youth (FF 1-6, Dragon Warrior 1-4, Faxanadu) and a good tabletop RPG. Sword and Sorcery ripping off Diablo/WoW is cool to me, but there's just so many of these that come out every year and are disappointing that I've given up.

I want something simple enough that I can teach it in 15, which just isn't going to happen with 30-50pg rule books. So for now it's a compromise between race or hack 'n slash, and then getting my RPG fix from pen and paper.
>>
>>53869513
>Did you just go down the SUSD website and pick all the ones they say to buy?
Haha, yeah, basically. How did you know?

I did play Pandemic Legacy and read more about The Resistance and Cosmic Encounter, though.

>it's a lot of it trends toward party/filler game.
I have some friends-family-related stuff coming up and thought that maybe I should stock up on some party games for various group sizes.

> I'd argue Diamant is a better push you luck option than Celestia
Sounds very good, especially haptically, thank you.

>You might also wait on Cosmic expansions until you've played the base quite a bit;
The expansions I listed contain the reward decks. On the one hand, it sounds like defending someone in a negotiation game when it suits you diplomatically should be a value in itself and the reward decks aren't needed, on the other hand adding more cards to play and reasons to intervene sound like such fun mechanics that they appear essential to find out whether one likes Cosmic Encounter.

>>53869516
>I personally didn't enjoy dead of winter.
What did you not like about it?

>Have you looked into scythe?
No, but the reception here from the times I've lurked were so negative. Maybe it's just a polarizing game.

>>53869832
>Cosmic Encounter is garbage.
What do you not like about Cosmic Encounter? If it's the asymmetry, I'm fine with that.

>Go get something like Archipelago instead.
Sounds good, too. I like this cooperative stuff with hidden agendas, and I like trade and negotiation. And worker placement. The art seems a bit messy, though.
>>
>>53869832
Man I love Archipelago, but it is NOTHING like C.E. and doesn't fill the same niche. Archipelago is definitely NOT for everyone. Even the 'short' scenarios still have a fair learning curve.
>>
>>53869245
Cosmic Encounter Review

Cosmic Incursion is the best expansion to pick up if you're still relatively new to the game. It adds 20 new aliens with all but the "Locust." It also adds a new player colour, orange, so you can play with 6 folks

It also adds a new deck of cards that you may only draw when you defend. It has high and negative attack cards, an extra morph, kickers (Multiply your card), new artifacts, a special negotiate (crooked deal) and rifts.
http://cosmicencounter.wikia.com/wiki/Reward_deck

I don't own cosmic conflict but it is a strong expansion as well, it adds another colour to the game, black, bringing it up to a total of 7 players. It gives more option about what colours folks can play and it allows more aliens that need a spare colour to function. Again, this expansion adds 20 new aliens from I understand are pretty decent and fun.

The big addition in Cosmic conflict is the hazard deck. Each player has 3 destiny cards, one of them with a hazard symbol. When you draw the hazard symbol colour, you draw a hazard card, which changes the game rules and affects the current encounter. I think there are 3 "Super-Hazards" that stay in play until a new "Super-Hazards" comes into play. The hazard deck is either a hit or miss for folks I believe as I've heard positive and negative reviews about it.

Cosmic Storm and Alliance are both expansions I do not own but they are said to be the weakest ones. Alliance adds a white player colour, bringing it up to 8. No new colours have been added in Storm or Dominion.

Alliance adds a new set of rules for people to play in teams of 2 while Storm adds 10 space stations to put on planets. The space stations offer an extra power to whoever owns the planet.

The alliance rules has been met with lukewarm reception to my knowledge and the space stations have been met with mixed views as well.

Alliance offers 20 new aliens which aren't seen as amazing or essential. (CONT)
>>
>>53871190
Storm adds 25 aliens. Again they are not seen as essential or required. It does introduce a broken alien called "Brute" which can suck the fun out of a game. It's recommend by everyone to remove that alien from the game.

From what I can understand, Storm and Alliance should be the last expansions to pick up if you want to get every expansion.

The newest expansion, Dominion, (I actually own this one) adds 30 aliens to the fray and expands (or adds) the reward deck.

Most of the cards in this new reward deck are unique, it adds special kickers with their own special effects, negotiates that also have their own unique effects, retreat cards that allow you to stop your ships dying, intimidate cards that can be swapped in by an ally after the cards are set, (usually) a very high attack card and if opposed by anything else, it becomes a negotiate card. It also adds new artifacts unique artifacts and an extra morph, card zap and cosmic zap.

It also adds the "Flag ship" variant which is a token you put on one of your ships. The idea is this ship has a special power which the community has made up and rules you can find online. Since that is pretty adaptable, you should be able to find or make up some rules you find fun.

The 30 new aliens have been completely fan designed and homebrews. Most of them seem really fun to play and they certainly can shake up the game and at the very least, playable in comparison with the standard ones.

Dominion overall echos the underlying mechanic of chaos in Cosmic, with the new crazy cards in the reward deck to the 30 new aliens.

Dominion is probably one of the more complex expansions since it adds a lot of unique cards in the reward deck. Once you feel like you have a strong grasp of the base game itself and you really want to spice it up, then you should buy it.

Overall, Storm and Alliance are not really required. Incursion > Dominion > Conflict or Dominion > Incursion > Conflict then Storm/Alliance.
>>
>>53870966
>Haha, yeah, basically. How did you know?
Because I used to watch their shill reviews and recognize the cluster of games they suggest over others. If you're looking to start with party games, I'd branch out a bit more than just the SUSD top 5/10/whatever; they tend to be big on bluffing/negotiation, there's a universe of other options.
>Say Anything
Apples to Apples/CAH without forcing your humor to fit cards, Telestrations is also very good.
>Concept
Really more of an activity than a straight game, but loads of fun and does the Mysterium type communication better for a casual atmosphere
>anything dexterity
Rhino Hero, something from Mayfair, Tumblin Dice (better if you're not paying for the new EGG version, hell making the steps out of foamcore would be better money spent); doesn't really matter what but people love building/destroying and reduced hand/eye coordination while having a few drinks always makes for fun
>Time's Up
With as many versions as are out there, this really should be in every collection; it's basically a version of password, but better. Timeline and Wits & Wagers are also good for trvia-ish style of game
>>
>>53871353
>their shill reviews
Nani
I thought they just have terrible taste
>>
File: why not both.jpg (83KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
why not both.jpg
83KB, 400x400px
>>53871417
Might be; I just have to wonder, they did do one post about the Asmodee monster when it was emerging but quieted down quite a bit since, and they seem to be proud every time they review something and it sells out. Plus they were vidya reviewers, and we know how incestuous that industry is
>>
>>53836153
me and gf just got into boards games. What two player games are fun to play?
>>
>>53871190
>>53871209
Thanks for the impressions! I don't think I'd like the hazards deck, alliances and space stations, so Storm, Conflict and Alliance fall out. I would like one or two more colours, though. I'd definitely get one from Incursion.

I'll probably get Incursion and Dominion. Not sure about Conflict. Maybe I can try it somewhere.

>>53871353
Wow, those are a lot of recommendations, thanks! I'll have to check them out later, though, because I'm hungry.

>Mysterium
I've always been amazed that that game seems to work. Might be harder to communicate with autism, though.
>>
>>53871549
>me and gf just got into boards games. What two player games are fun to play?
Hide the Sausage and Shine the Pole.
>>
File: the wife's recs v6.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs v6.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>53871549
Last updated in March
>>
>>53871549
>me and gf just got into boards games
which boardgame did you get into
>>
>>53871549
Personally I feel 2 player things are best left to videogames or such. My main goal with board games is having group activities that are enjoyable and bring out fun social interactions and playful antagonisation, all aspects that simply don't work on a two player game as both are really focused on the game itself with very little chance of negotiation or politics.
>>
>>53872283
>what is chess

>My main goal with board games is having group activities
Well yeah not everyone feels that way. Going head to head in a game can be great because you try to outsmart an opponent you directly face. Beating someone in a tabletop is an entirely different experience than beating someone in a computer game. Especially since you can aftertalk a match. Which gives a lot of social interaction too.
I find constantly pleading in some multiplayer games like smallworld really annoying. You just try to look like youre behind and then pray you can get in first. Which is also frustrating in multiplayer games when one person isnt a good player and can accidently drag someone else drown with him if he makes a bad decision
>>
>>53871549
Just from my small collection, I would reccomend Hive and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, although the latter is more of an activity than a game imo.
>>
>>53870966
>>Have you looked into scythe?
>No, but the reception here from the times I've lurked were so negative. Maybe it's just a polarizing game.
Most of the negative response is from Ameritrashers disappointed in the fact that the conflict in game is more a cold war arms race than actual fighting.
>>
>>53872415
>what is chess
A puzzle game that gives me no satisfaction.
I played it when I was younger, now if I want to solve problems I can just do overtime at my job and get payed for it while at it.
There's plenty of multiplayer board games that are complex and let you outsmart your opponent, what I look for though is the experience you get while playing them, to see what others do, outplay them, manipulate them, that's what you simply can't get from videogames. You can't talk your opponent into doing things, for fucks sake most online games don't even let you talk to the opposide bad mouthed 12 year old you're playing against. Who wins in board games doesn't really matter much to me even, it's just a requirement so that the player actions have a goal and so that the game ends at some point.
>>
File: tgbg.jpg (64KB, 824x418px) Image search: [Google]
tgbg.jpg
64KB, 824x418px
HELLO MY FRIENDS,
IT'S THE GAMEBOY-GEEK-HERE
>>
>>53872434
recommend*
>>
>>53872592
>JEN'S GOT BLUE JEN'S GOT BLUE
>btw I love rahdo
10/10 ranting, would game with
>>
>>53871829
looking into some of these thanks for the list
>>53872272
we played a session of mansions of madness with some friends and enjoyed the spooks of it. Played a bit of catan and Magic Arena with some heroscape bits. We just bought Betrayal at House on the hill (each get two heros until we get the betrayer then hand the hero to the other player and that player would only then play as the betrayer and the monsters). and the game of life.
>>53872283
I totally agree with you but most vidya are kinda boring or even not enjoyable to play (modern ones for the most part). We just end up playing on the snes,n54 or gamecube. I wish she were good at tetris though. Love that game so much we got the jenga version of it. Getting into boardgames is just a way for communication for the both of us and to understand something new while having fun.
>>
>>53871549
It's not two player but Carcassonne is still a great game. But check out Hive or Onitama for abstracts. Jaipur is a good game. I also like Star Realms a lot. Or maybe x-wing?
>>
>>53872695
>I wish she were good at tetris though. Love that game so much we got the jenga version of it.
Look up Blokus
>>
File: Bärenpark.jpg (238KB, 693x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Bärenpark.jpg
238KB, 693x1000px
>>53872695
>I wish she were good at tetris though. Love that game so much we got the jenga version of it
say no more senpai. You should check Patchwork and Bärenpark
>>
Just got back from playing the Dark Souls board game for the first time. It was everyone's first game and my god is it a pain trying to learn everything. We didn't know that you fully heal after each encounter. My GOD did it make the game easier. We were literally playing on stupid hard mode for a few hours. Didn't die though. On Tuesday we're gonna have a proper go at killing a boss and a mini boss.
>>
>>53872592

I have almost zero taste overlap with this guy so I never watch his stuff. Too bad, he's alright.
>>
Any hype for this?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/lords-of-hellas/
>>
>>53871549
highly recommend patchwork
>>
>>53836153
El Grande is still pretty much the best pure area control euro and could really use a reprint. You can score a used copy for sure at reasonable price from somewhere but... never know where that King has been with that shape.

>>53847623
Samurai (the Knizia one) scales beautifully from 2 to 4 and is overall pretty much my favourite from him. Tigris and Euphrates also loses little if anything when you play with 3.

Through the Ages is at its absolute best when played with 3. You get the effect of pact cards and more to consider with the military game, but the play still doesn't drag out too much. With four, there generally starts being a bit too much downtime.

Speaking of Vlaada, Mage Knight I feel is also excellent at 3, while I wouldn't necessarily bring it to table with four unless I had long evening to spend (still would be excellent if one has the time).

Race for the Galaxy I feel is another one that is optimal at 3 players.

>>53872700
Carcassonne is an excellent entry game, andits most competitive with 2. Def a good one.
>>
>>53869245

>Skull

Skull can be easily played with a traditional card deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aary86jhnbU
>>
>>53860676
I go to my brick-and-mortar FLGS and pay full MSRP because I'm not poor and cheap, and I very much appreciate the services (gaming venue) that my FLGS's provide. I like supporting them. The only times I order online is when something is out of print and impossible to find, although I have had surprising luck at FLGS's (Battlestar expansions are over $100 each on Amazon and Ebay. Found all of them at FLGS for original MSRP just last month).
>>
>>53868166
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/massive-darkness
>>
File: xia exp.jpg (32KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
xia exp.jpg
32KB, 500x333px
>>53837516
Xia is being re-printed. Either wait or order from the Far Off Games website. You'll have a wait (I think they're aiming for July delivery; haven't gotten mine yet), but you can also order the new expansion which by all reviews so far will be indispensable.
>>
>>53870966
>What do you not like about Cosmic Encounter?
Not him, but I wanted to chime in that Cosmic is probably the most highly-regarded game that has just fallen flat for me, and there are a few reasons

>Some effects that encourage bad play experiences
It's entirely possible my first game of Cosmickind of poisoned me: I got the Filch and their flare card, allowing me to straight up cheat. I'm a fairly ruthless gamer, so I was shortly rolling in cards and ships an limited experience on most sides of the table meant I didn't get caught. This might seem like fun, but the novelty soon wore off: I was winning, and technically under the game rules, but it just felt plain abusive and miserable. The game dragged on (As every game of Cosmic I've been involved in tends to, with most players doing whatever they can to keep the active player from winning each turn if able), and the bad feels grew all around. The Filch are one of the basic/green alien races. Several of the other races looked to have similarly nasty play experiences in how they warped the game. I like Asymmetry most of the time. I like TI3 and I like Vast. I don't like a game that throws in lolrandom powers that shatter its very nature

>The Negotiation and Game Flow
OK, you might have guessed this from some discussion of the previous point: at least in my play group, Negotiation-centric games (Which Cosmic is even more than cardplay) tend to break down around here, especially when there's a lot of open information and no guarenteed "progress" (barring powers). This makes the endgame REALLY drag out. Players get to three or even four colonies fairly quickly and then, well, they have to be stopped, don't they? At least in Catan (which suffers from this as the endgame devolves into global embargos) there's constant resource generation and trading, at worst, 4:1 with the board can ensure a player will *eventually* get what they need to claim that last lousy victory point. Not so in Cosmic
>>
>>53875042
>I got the Filch and their flare card, allowing me to straight up cheat.
Why not just take out The Filch, if you don't like how they play?

>Players get to three or even four colonies fairly quickly and then, well, they have to be stopped, don't they?
Shouldn't multiple people being allowed to win at the same time prevent this? You don't have to stop someone who's going to make you win, too.
>>
File: jenga_fleshcart.jpg (56KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
jenga_fleshcart.jpg
56KB, 600x450px
>>53872695
>Love that game so much we got the jenga version of it.
Wait, what??

There's a fleshlight game?
>>
>>53875311
>Not having a tabletop waifu
>A board broad if you may
>>
>>53875311
>>53875518
>not having a gf that jerks you off with a tenga while you have to solve the puzzle in time before you cum
>>
>>53873865
I'm backing it. Looks fun as fuck, I just hope they are planning on selling some of that stuff after the fact in an expansion pack or something. Be a bummer for non backers to get fucked out of so much content.

That said I'm really hoping they manage to get enough backing to do Atlantis/Troy. The heroes and minions all look cool and I'd love to be able to include up to six players since my group usually has that many showing up
>>
Can anyone give me a rundown on the Dresden File Co-op card game? I noticed at my FLGS today while browsing and had never seen it before though it apparently has at least 3 expansions.

A few of my friends and myself are big Dresden Files fans so it would probably be up our alley, but is it actually any good or am I just buying in for the franchise tie-in? And if it is good is it good enough to get people who haven't read the books involved?
>>
>>53875042
>probably the most highly-regarded game that has just fallen flat for me

Not surprising. CE is a steaming pile and only serves to highlight the ad populum argument.
>>
File: IMG_20170618_172326989.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_172326989.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>muh board state on Elysium right now
>>
hello,

I'm looking for a game I played which was in French, German, and Dutch but not in English.

There were two decks, a black deck and a white deck. The black cards had a situation on them ex. you are in a hot air balloon, and the white cards had three words on them (ex. clown, ballerina, fire fighter)

The goal of the game is for one person to create a 2 minute narrative about the situation they are given and insert one of the three words into the narrative. Everyone else needs to listen and take notes and decide which word the narrator inserted from the white card into their 2 minute story.

Does anyone know what game this is or if there is an English speaking equivalent? Everyone tells me it's dixit but I'm pretty sure that it's not.
>>
>>53843620
I really like it, I wouldn't say Kemet is the game to compare it with though - fighting is a points earning mechanic but winning fights isn't as important like it is in Kemet.

It plays at a punchy speed, has a lot of player interaction and multiple strategies to pursue.
>>
>>53876234
>Everyone tells me it's dixit but I'm pretty sure that it's not.

No, your description is definitely NOT Dixit. I don't know what the game is you're looking for, but it sounds interesting. I hope you find it.
>>
>>53875857
The wife is a big enough fan that I'm almost maybe considering getting it just because. If no one else chimes in, maybe I'll play the guinea pig and in a couple weeks tell you it's just insufferably terrible because it's cooperative.
Personally think the books are kinda mediocre but elevated to seriously fun campy popcorn material by Marsters delivery in audio format.
>>
File: IMG_20170618_191030431.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_191030431.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>wanna design a board game around this
>>
>>53877974
Well, there was Crossfire a couple years back.
>>
>>53875166
>Why not just take out The Filch, if you don't like how they play?
My plays have been at a board game cafe, if I owned it, which at this point I don't intend to, I probably would remove the Filch

>Shouldn't multiple people being allowed to win at the same time prevent this?
Depends on the game size, but I suspect it's just not right for my group.
>>
>>53836153
>overpriced grail
expac rather than a game, but Clash of Cultures: Civilizations is just absolute shit for the secondary market price

>found and unwilling to part with
Cave Evil

>>53847623
Triumph & Tragedy if you have a good 5 or so hours to kill
Wiz-War if you don't

>>53850636
worker placement, Argent is the only WP game I'll ever need
zombies
IP cashgrabs

>>53856214
I just want to make a modern hex-and-counter RPG/wargame hybrid in the vein of Dragon Pass, Divine Right etc. nothing really fleshed out at this point in time

>>53866241
Titan is the only game that is remotely close to HoMM, quite a fair amount of people speculate that HoMM was inspired by Titan while it's a known fact that MTG was created to basically be Titan: the Card Game

if you do want to pick up a copy, go with the Valley Games reprint as the counters are amazingly thick and is fortunately devoid of errors unlike other Valley Games reprints
>>
>>53876148
Looking good, especially if the first Hades family legend has yet to be claimed. That Quest #4 work out for you?
>>
>>53878061
Yeah I want that.
>>53878348
Oh yes. I claimed the first Hades, Zeus Ares and Athena for a really great end Elysium. I won that game, the only one I did win all day.
>>
>>53847623
Triumph and Tragedy.
>>
>The Agency is in community spotlight on TTS
So is The Agency any good?
>>
How accessible is Scythe to people who don't normally play board games?
>>
>>53880223
Not very. It's definitely up there in number of rules to know and things to consider, especially for newer people.

That's not to say it's impossible, just ask them if they want to try a complicated game before you drop it on the table.
>>
>>53880494
I'm so glad that my group is one that formed around my copy of Puerto Rico.
>>
>>53880620
Mine formed over Terra Mystica of all things. As everyone's first board game.
The downside is that I know fuck all about all the popular gateway games, we just skipped that part entirely.
>>
>>53880620
I've been thinking about getting Puerto Rico, how is it?
>>
>>53880223
Not the best, not the worst. I think the flow of the game is pretty easy to grasp - do one of the three actions available each turn, and its follow-up action if you can. But it's still a midweight euro with a pile of rules on top of it.

>>53881122
Still great and classic at this point. The role selection works wonderfully and keeps everyone at minimal downtime. The worst thing I can say about it is that next to newer games it looks a bit drab and maybe could use more iconography in its components, which is pretty much nitpicking. I'd play Puerto Rico any day.
>>
>>53836153
yesterday i've been to a little convention for people of all ages; played forbidden desert but I'm not really impressed, it looked like a simpler pandemic.

Also saw a guy teaching terra mystica to 5-8 yo kids
>>
Howdy. I've got a pretty good/stable catan meta of 10 players but one of the players my bestfriend has started reeeeeeing about trading and always goes on long winded arguments about how trading is dumb and all anybody does is trade the game away. We keep track of score and he is the person with the lowest average. He used to not be like this. He used to be a real machine and wreck shop. Is their anyway to convince him to quit being a doodoopuss and accept trading is a thing?

I though about playing a six person game with no build phase or trading just to prove a point to the fuck.

please help.
>>
>>53882786
>teaching terra mystica to 5-8 yo kids
Hardcore

>>53882846
The entire point of Catan is trading, without it the game is fucking nothing
>>
File: 1491457530880.gif (178KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1491457530880.gif
178KB, 160x160px
I need 3+ player games that aren't too heavy and run an hour max.
Every single game I have is either 15 minutes or 2 hours.
>>
>>53882846
Try playing a non-shit game?
>>
>>53882893
Race/Roll for the galaxy
>>
>>53882893
Mysterium
>>
>>53882893
Chicago Express
>>
>>53882893
Carcassonne is rarely longer than 45 minutes even with newbs. Up to 5 people, more with exspansion packs.
>>
>>53882846
But catan is trading. I agree with him it the problem is stupid trading (like people trying to trade away sheep for wood/clay) but you can just make rules for that. Like no wood/clay trading the first 3 rounds unless it really makes sense (like offering a lot or trading wood for clay)
>>
File: ethnos.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
ethnos.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Thoughts on this? Looks cool.
>>
File: 1422499691282.jpg (653KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
1422499691282.jpg
653KB, 900x1273px
>>53863211
After watching the full gameplay video they did, I bit the bullet. It's got me real excited. I'm debating on upping the Pledge by 30 to push towards the twin tigers expansion.

Look fun for solo and 2 player. Hopefully it pays off.
>>
>>53884556
Balance between the races is now the best, and the game is way to dependant on a random card draws for my tastes.
>>
>>53885638
>now
Not the best that is
>>
I've been feeling the itch to get a new board game. Don't really have a lot of loose cash so it's always a bit of an investment.

What cooperative board games would you people recommend? I'm looking for something with good replayability, for a bit cheaper if at all possible. I've been looking at the new(ish) Conan game, but it costs a LOT (like pretty much all miniatures-based games like that) and I'm just not not sure if the gameplay is something that'd be fun to do for more than a couple of times.

Experiences/suggestions?
>>
>>53882846
Is he retarded?
>>
>>53882893
Codenames
>>
>>53885957
Do you have the staples yet? Pandemic and Ghost Stories are both rightly well regarded.

One of Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, or Elder Sign is what I'd probably recommend. They're all good games in their own ways (Though some make the case that Eldritch kills Arkham) so it becomes a matter of if the Mythos theme is a deal-breaker for you (if it is, give them all a pass) and what weight of game you prefer (From lightest to heaviest: Elder Sign, Eldritch, Arkham)
>>
>>53885957
Besides the basics like Pandemic and Forbidden Island/Desert

I enjoy Xenoshyft, a deck building co-op. It's like Starship Troopers:The Movie: The Board Game. 1-4 players each control a line of defense around the Nortec faciliy, you train troops, build equipment, and try to keep the hordes of bugs and monsters from overwhelming your defenses. Quite a lot of replayability out of the box. Add the Immolation exac (coming to wide availability soon I think) for a entirely new set of enemy decks, or the Dreadmire standalone expac for LOADS more content including troops, equipment, and enemies. One box is pretty affordable as far as board games go.

Hanabi and The Game are great, cheep, co-operative games. Though to me they have a more limited replayability, but they're small and short enough to just slap down and run a round now and then.

I really like Sentinels of the Multiverse, though that practically begs to buy all the expansion stuff to keep it going as long as possible, so I can only half-recommend it as a 'cheeper' game. And I'm a sucker for cheesy superhero stuff.

Space Cadets is another co-op I've enjoyed. You're the crew of the NotEnterprise as you fly through space, complete objectives, and try not to explode. Pretty frantic as much of the game is in real time, so only get this if your group likes real time aspects.
>>
>>53885957
Ignore the others, get Robinson Crusoe.
>>
Is the wooden version of Flick Em Up worth the extra cost over the plastic edition? Cheapest I've seen it is around £52
>>
>>53887968
I've not gotten a chance to fool around with a plastic version yet but from what I've heard it's pretty similar in play, but doesn't feel as nice to dexterity snobs. They are pretty much the same weight but the plastic bounces a bit more. Note the expansions will not be produced in plastic; you can mix and match, but the plastic bullets will have a harder time knocking down wooden pieces (like the indian meeples in one of the expansions)
>>
>>53887363
Not the one you were replying to, but damn I'm waiting for the reprint to get to stores, I have had one reserved for me since April, but the guys at the FLGS could not say when it will actually arrive. I live in Finland so don't really know how it is available anywhere else.
>>
>>53887363
I liked Robinson Crusoe enough that I snagged the 2nd edition for the improved components even though I already owned 1st edition.
>>
>>53861633
All of Frieses games are stupid gimmicks, desu (besides power grid of course)
>>
>>53861633
it's the Action 52 of the board game world.
>>
>>53885957
You could also try getting a 1 vs all game
>>
File: 1421161389.png (557KB, 449x449px) Image search: [Google]
1421161389.png
557KB, 449x449px
>>53885957
Why not try Pandemic: Thunderbirds Edition?
>>
>>53870966
Re Scythe, a German boardgame magazine's reviewers gave it 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7 out of 10. To put this into perspective: Ratings of 8 or better are not common. Often there is one dissenting reviewer who gives a 4 or thereabouts and a reason; none of that here. Make of this what you will.

I guess Amerifags wanted a game where they can obliterate their opponents with hordes of fire-spitting mechs in a steampunk setting. Scythe is not that game, and they're butthurt.
>>
>>53873901
Isn't there El Grande Big Box with all expansions included that I so laboriously hunted down?
>>
>>53882846
Play a different game. Interaction by trading is Catan's core, and he's simply not good at it.
>>
>>53887968
I bought the plastic version, I really can't see it hitting the table often enough to justify the additional expense, and I don't think I'll be buying the expansions. It is fun though, and well worth the $26 I payed for it.
>>
>>53894311
>I guess Amerifags wanted a game where they can obliterate their opponents with hordes of fire-spitting mechs in a steampunk setting. Scythe is not that game, and they're butthurt.

The *Designer* went out of their way to specifically claim it's a '4x' game during the KS, and it actually is not. I can easily see where folks would have been pissed off about this if that's why they bought it. That said, it looks like a solid engine-builder with steampunk theme elements melded into the game.
>>
>>53894338
Yes, MSRP $99.99; due to Z-man being acquired by the Asmodee eldritch abomination you'll have a hard time finding it below $80-85 online. Though I did just see one at Noble Knight for $75ish
>>
Finally got around to play Arkham Horror with a guy I just met. Was nice. We got through 2 of the 3 scenarios, won the first one really easily and "failed" the second one because we lost a lot of time on weaknesses drawn at the wrong time and the fucking fog cards (having a place with an occult ratio of 6 isn't exactly the best thing).
The worst is that the further we were going, the more like we felt that the game was deliberately doing the worst thing at the worst time just to spite us. For example, we were intending to give up at the last round if we couldn't make it but the Myth phase of the following turn yielded an Acolyt, bringing the scenario to a close pretty suddenly.
>>
>>53894884
>The worst is that the further we were going, the more like we felt that the game was deliberately doing the worst thing at the worst time just to spite us
Yeah, playing Arkham will quickly make most people superstitious. That board game freeking is out to get you: the cards know what will screw the investigators and the dice are cursed to fail rolls that should probably succeed when and only when it's really mission critical.
>>
>>53892684
Friday's a really good solo deckbuilder, and I've heard nothing but good things about Felix.
>>
>>53845233
I wish I had a copy of yggdrasil just for that board
>>
>>53897052
>I wish I had a copy of yggdrasil just for that board
The production design is most certainly one of the big selling points, but it's also a fairly great co-op (especially with the Asgard expansion, or the second edition that includes it, which is what I have).

Also it says something about how much play it's gotten at my house that I can tell at a glance that the display in that image isn't a game in progress but rather a mock-up, and also that if it were something resembling a game in progress the gods would be in deep shit.

For anyone who's interested: The enemy positions and weapons the gods have indicate we're between one and several turns in but the only card in the discard appears to be one Surt card which would indicate first turn of the game. The elf tokens are in their proper count and place but Muspelheim and Helheim (Land of Fire and Land of the Dead by the manual's preferred names) are utterly empty of the token reserves that should be there. Ignoring that, assuming that we're more like the 8+ turns in indicated by the enemies, the serious shit comes down with the gods having no elves nor vikings on their sheets to spend, poorly progressed weapons, and one of the two absolute worst giants being out on the field
>>
>>53894311
>Re Scythe, a German boardgame magazine
What magazine?
>>
>>53894311
So it's flawless but not especially good, which is basically the consensus anyway.
>>
>>53898824
>not especially good
>A magazine notorious for being tough on games giving it just about all 8 or higher.

Anon you need to spend less time on IGN and GameSpot. 8's are damn good games.
>>
Looking for more cool games with miniatures that play like mice and mystics or descent, something more thematic I guess. Any ideas?
I know kd:m and gloomhaven but any hidden gems maybe too?

I saw rum and bones seemed kinda Dota
>>
>>53899068
I thought post above said "not uncommon."
>>
>>53894311
How is Scythe as a solo game?
>>
>>53900504
Also curious about this. Will probably pick it up next weekend since my LGS is getting some more in stock soon. Wanted to try it solo before taking it to game night
>>
>>53869832
>Cosmic Encounter is garbage. Go get something like Archipelago instead.
Is Archipelago out of print?

Why is it so expensive (70€ for the base game) and I can barely find it anywhere?
>>
what makes a euro a euro
it cant just be worker placement
>>
>>53901344
I'm new to board gaming, but from what i can tell it's games that usually have an abstract concept and are indirectly competitive. Like you're trying to win but you're not always doing so by actively attacking another player but instead by building up your own win condition
>>
>>53901344
I think indirect conflict is the main thing. As in throughout the game nothing you do is directly attacking another player to reduce their resources. The closest a strictly Euro game (in my mind) comes to conflict is if you take something that another player wanted before them, denying them that resource
>>
>>53901344
>>53901518

Yeah, indirect conflict and no player elimination are the main things. Victor is frequently determined by points.
>>
>>53901516
You pretty much got it. The indirect competition is the important bit.
Ameritrash = you win by conquering/killing/bankrupting all the other players.
Euro = you win by collecting the most victory points.
>>
When do you guys buy expansions? I always feel like I should be buying new games instead.
>>
>>53902101
depends. I bought the expansion for Scythe at the time I picked up the game because my group is pretty large. We wanted to be able to have the option for more people.

Others I'm cool with waiting on. We've picked up most of the Dominion expansions just whenever we find one we don't have on sale. we're probably going to get the Mysterium expansion soon because we've been playing that a lot. And we haven't picked up ANY Arkham Horror expansions because, even though we love the game, we all fucking suck at it and making it harder doesn't sound appealing at all

I guess the main thing is if it's a game you really love and play a lot, you should consider picking up the expansion if you want some more variety.
>>
>>53901518
>>53901562
Stealing your opponent's wood in Agricola is pretty fucking direct. Certainly much more direct than somebody taking your knight or bishop in chess, material advantage in chess doesn't matter much.

No, you mongs, 'euro' games are games with a focus on strategy over tactics, a scalable player count and a family-friendly theme.
>>
>>53902101
I usually lean towards getting an expansion, if only because expansions get reprints far less than the base game. It's paid off really well for me, given how much CitOW's and TI3's expansions cost right now.
>>
>>53902605
It's not direct conflict, you're not stealing the wood directly from a player, you're just placing your worker on a space on the board that anyone could have taken. Yeah, you screw over a player that desperately needs the wood, but still, you're not targeting the player.
>>
>>53902605
>muh strategy != tactics
>falling for this meme

Also, pretty much every Ameritrash game features scalable player counts unless it's 2p (and there's plenty of 2p euros). Not sure where you're getting that idea from.
>>
>>53900504
I've played the Automa/solo thing once to learn, and it felt a lot like playing a human player that played optimal moves. You basically have a time limit of a few turns before the AI puts down 6 stars to end the game. In the meantime, you draw a card each turn which shows the stuff they can do, and it usually involves expanding out (since those have a high score multiplier) and aiming for the factory.

It's pretty good for training by yourself, and has higher difficulty settings too.
>>
>>53894534
Big thing about the complaints for me is really that the rulebook and print-and-play materials were, to my understanding, available during the kickstarter for anyone to read or test out. If the nature of the game was unclear to someone before they handed in the dough... well.

>>53900504
The automa player for Stegmaier's other game Viticulture at least is a decent time waster.
>>
>>53902672
>It's not direct conflict, you're not stealing the wood directly from a player
You're picking nits that don't exist. Fact is that Agricola is more aggressive and has more conflict than chess. You're right that conflict in Agricola is not a simple zero sum I-gain-you-lose interaction, but that doesn't make it any less direct.

>>53902718
Strategy is the game plan you form before turn 1 and continue until the end. Tactics is reacting to a changing situation and making 'correct' moves.

> Also, pretty much every Ameritrash game features scalable player counts
Yes, but Ameritrash has no strategy and features moronic theme. Most abstracts have a fixed player count and that makes them not euro.
>>
>>53902605
Wrong.
>>
>>53900668
>Wanted to try it solo before taking it to game night
IIRC the rules are different enough that this is a bad idea.
>>
>>53902101
I'm a tiny bit OCD so it's not an option for me.
>>
>>53901344
Euro: something random occurs, players do stuff
Burger: players do stuff, something random occurs

Almost all game exist on a spectrum between the two.
>>
>>53882893

Lords of waterdeep
Ticket to ride
King of tokyo
>>
>>53903866
I think you mean

>Burger: players random, more random occurs
>>
>>53903501
>any theme that isn't farming is moronic
kill yourself asap
>>
>>53904047
You should take it easy for a bit, you're gonna pull something making those kind of leaps.
>>
>>53902101
When its a game I really enjoy and I either feel like we need more variation, or the expansion stomps out some important problems that have come to light over multiple playthroughs
>>
>>53901344
>what makes a euro a euro
Being very transparent about a game's true nature as a weighted graph.
>>
File: 65387567.jpg (16KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
65387567.jpg
16KB, 246x246px
The Godfather: Corleone's Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVz43Sb4NwM

What do you guys think?
>>
>>53906353
>eric lang
>CMoN
It's gonna be another dudes on a map variant right?
>>
>>53902101
If it's a game I really enjoy I'd look into grabbing expansions or if they brought something new to the table I would
>>
>>53902605
>one outlying example
>"your definition is complete shit"
Anon, you gotta be 18 to post here
>>
>>53902768
Would you say that it'd be worth it to get Scythe to be played primarily as a solo game? I'm really interested in it but I don't know if my group would want to play
>>
>>53904009
I'm wanting to grab king of Tokyo but the price tag just seems high for what the game comes with
>>
>>53906701
Probably not, kind of a waste of bling and cardboard to not play it with others. From a more practical perspective though, since the AI depends on a deck of cards, once you memorize it the challenge could be less than when you first start playing. Also, since the game always starts out similarly (due to being constricted to your home area until you find a way to get off of it), and since it is a relatively straightforward engine building game until you start interacting with the AI, starting a session might get tedious, or you might find yourself always starting off with the same opening moves too frequently.

On the plus side though, there are enough cards for a numerous amount of possible permutations, and the opening moves thing might not be a thing until 50+ games in. Scythe is also a prime target for resales due to how popular it is, so getting it off of your hands shouldn't be too hard. If you've seen how it plays and think it's interesting enough, then go for it.
>>
>>53886223
I would not recommand Codenames with 3 players.

>>53882893
Splendor
Via Nebula
Libertalia
Colt Express
>>
>>53906646
>one outlying example
Really? Name me one eurogame that doesn't feature directly ruining your opponent's plans.
>>
>>53906726
It's one of those games like Splendor where the price tag feels bigger than the value but it does get played a lot; as filler, with new players, kids. Still the price tag can make it easy to delay on buying, best bet would be to wait until Black Friday/Holiday sales and grab it from Target/Walmart/etc.
>>
>>53836153
Dungeon saga vs descent 2 Ed?
>>
>>53904450
Says the Anon who's only mental exercise is jumping to false conclusions...
>>
>>53907266
Descent but both are enjoyable
>>
>>53897942
spielbox.de, also available in English.
>>
>>53907824
>spielbox.de
Thanks, I'll check it out!
>>
>>53898824
You have that backwards.
>>
Those of you with TTS, do you only play with friends on there or is there a good place to find others to play games with?
>>
>>53908961
I just play with friends, but that's not because I WOULDN'T play with randos, I just don't have the extra time to do that between vidya, painting miniatures, and physical board games.
>>
>>53908961
there's always people in the global chat inviting people to play games
>>
>>53909625
> there's always people in the global chat inviting people to play Secret Hitler

that's all you can hope for
>>
>>53901344
Will the game lose any of its appeal if you retheme it to be about potato farming?
If not, you're likely dealing with a euro.
Unless it was about potato farming in the first place, then it's certainly a euro.
>>
>>53910075
You forgot dark souls
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6MB, 1256x3151px) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6MB, 1256x3151px
>>53912758
>tfw somebody genuinely asked me to include that on my rec list
>>
>>53907067
>directly
Like, all of them? Indirect confrontation is one of the defining features of the genre.
>>
>>53914311
Sorry that I'm retarded but why's that a bad thing?
>>
>>53914609
Dark Souls: The Board Game was one of THOSE crowdfunded games. Y'know, the kind where people went "Ooh! That thing I like!" and threw money at it, without bothering to see if it was good. It wasn't.

DS:TBG is slow, grindy crap that takes forever to get to the one good part i.e. the bosses, and even then it doesn't quite justify the grind.
>>
>>53915799
>>53914311
When I saw the contents of the box (and I didnt even search for it, I just saw a single shot while browsing board games in general) I noticed on top of the contents of the box there is a big black sheet that says "you died". That single line was all I needed to know. Now I completely understand why they put it in there, it is one of the most noticeable parts of dark souls and for a few cents you already got a big win in the hearts of a lot of plebbitors. But jesus it just tells you that they put all their money on the fandom around the game, not the actual game.
Now I agree that big companies that butcher a game to fit the current FOTM genre is disgusting, but pandering to autists it just as bad. They always take a few parts of the game and carry those out as the big important things of the game, without actually understanding it's the full package that makes a game work. Therefore making the whole thing tilted.

Just came back from boardgame evening. Was pretty great, although the 3.5 hour cyclades match pretty much took the entire evening.
>>
What games would you recommend as a substitution for Munchkin?
>>
>>53916373
>without actually understanding it's the full package that makes a game work

Ironic then, that:

>there is a big black sheet that says "you died". That single line was all I needed to know.
>>
>>53916658
How is it ironic, it perfectly is in line with the card.

>people dont understand that the game isnt just a few parts that they like a lot but the whole package, including things they never thought thought about or maybe dislike on a surface level
>people get a hardon for the you died card since it is the most recognisable part of dark souls

Now you might say Im being stupid/ironic I judge dark souls TBG on the single merit of the card. I did look into it more later, but it just confirmed what I thought. Namely, the game replicates these few core parts of dark souls everyone is constantly echoing, rather than the full package.
It reminds me of half life 2. Instead of trying to improve on the original, it feels like it was made by fans and all the memes that accumulated over the years of halflife where put into the game.
>>
>>53916373
I'm picking up my delivery of Cyclades tomorrow. It was at a big discount since I got it in some warehouse clearing sale, so I figured I can always sell it for at least the same price I got it for if I end up not liking it.
Does it always last this long or was this an extraordinary game?
>>
>>53916786
It was a really long game. First because people took way too long with their turn (we are considering a timer now since it has a lot of open info and people can fall into an analysis paralysis) and one person didnt play properly when he couldnt closed out the game just before someone else could cause an upset. Which meant the game went on for another hour. Id say 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours is normal for a 5 player game. The box itself suggests 1 to 1.5 hours but I dont see that happening for a 5 player game. Unless everyone thinks ahead and plays their turn quickly.

Its fun though. Except when people think 10 minutes
>>
>>53916862
I never trust the box with the playtime. I've yet to see one that tells the truth, even without AP-prone players.
>>
>>53876358
agreed. i played one game and won by losing all of my fights and coming back from valhalla or whatever.

overall game seemed fine but none of us care to spend that much money on it (rando brought it in for a board game day)
>>
>>53882846
if he used to be good and now just whines he's probably getting tired of playing the game and doesn't want to think about it. if you want him around, you might want to find something else to do.
>>
File: quantum.jpg (720KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
quantum.jpg
720KB, 1000x1000px
what am I in for?
>>
>>53882846
>>53917026
This. Either find a new game to play or in true Catan fashion offer sex slaves as the prize for winning
>>
>>53916373
>3.5 hour cyclades match
Was that with some expansions or what were you guys up to
>>
File: Mech Capture.png (197KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
Mech Capture.png
197KB, 367x500px
Has anyone tried playing pic related? I've been reading through the rules but they're pretty fucking bad so I'm still trying to figure out how you play it
>>
Has anyone played Everzone before? I've been trying to find reviews to see if it's good or not but there's hardly any reviews or discussion about it
>>
>>53916612
Seppuku is generally considered an improvement over Munchkin.

Seriously, though, it depends on what part of Munchkin worked for you (or your group) out of the many, many that could fail

>I want a fast, "Take That" card game; Munchkin was too long
Lunch Money

>I want a card game with some meat to its length but less of Munchkin's wheeling, dealing, and backstabbing
Citadels

>Munchkin was terrible, but I liked its sense of humor, how about a game that's tongue-in-cheek but actually a good game?
If you like the Cthulhu mythos as you do D&D, Miskatonic School for Girls. If you're willing to get your keks from History, try Guillotine.
>>
>>53916612
Cutthroat Caverns for a strictly better Munchkin
>>
Why do people like smallworld? I don't see anything too interesting on it.
>>
>>53920429
There are a billion options and lots of cardboard pieces. Unfortunately all of those options are only fun for five plays. Also it's a nightmare to put back in the box.
>>
>>53920429
That's because there's nothing too interesting about it.
>>
What's everyone's thoughts on this? Worth getting or a waste of time?
>>
>>53921522
Waste of time.
>>
File: IMG_9674.jpg (354KB, 1552x873px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9674.jpg
354KB, 1552x873px
>>53921522
Forgot the picture because I'm dumb
>>
>>53921536
>Asmadi
The production will likely feel like they cheaped out a bit, but not bad enough to ruin it
>Cieslik
You might get lucky and it's his third good game (after Innovation/Red 7) or it's just another in a lineup that includes We Didn't Playtest, Win Lose or Banana, Whack a Catgirl, and the vaporware that is Consequential. I'd avoid until someone forced me to sit down, play it, and the game turned out to be the second coming of Heroquest
>>
>>53914568
>Like, all of them? Indirect confrontation is one of the defining features of the genre.
Name one, you faggot. While you're at it, it'd be nice if you actually articulated the difference between 'direct' and 'indirect'.
>>
File: 1308871789637.jpg (694KB, 1314x2115px) Image search: [Google]
1308871789637.jpg
694KB, 1314x2115px
Does BGG have one of these things? If not, I'm willing to create one and I have a list of "genres" already in wip:

Abstract
Ameritrash
Eurogame
Railgame
Cooperative
Party Game
Microgame
Social Deduction
Dungeon Crawler
War Game
Sports
Word Game
Card Game
Versus Card Game(CCGs, Deckbuilders, LCGs)
Dice Game
Roleplaying Game
>>
>>53922279
You can search games by category and even by mechanic in bgg if that's what you're asking.
>>
Where do you guys go to check out board game reviews? I've watched a few Dice Tower reviews but I can only stand Tom Vasal for a very short amount of time
>>
>>53922485
I don't, they're all shit.
>>
>>53922321
Talking about Board game general (/bgg/, nor boardgamegeek
>>
>>53922565
Ah. The only one I see posted is
>>53871829

>>53922485
Generally youtube and bgg forums. I just try to get an idea of the game and interactions, the opinions of the reviewers are usually garbage, you generally get more interesting info from random negative posts about games. Also asking in this general obviously.
>>
>>53922485
this >>53922502
Nothing beats playing it yourself. Most reviewers just seem like they're trying to sell you the game, so why should I trust them?

>>53922565
There are some charts floating around already, but feel free to make your own, it can't hurt. The problem is that you can generally cut down genres into ever smaller, and even more specific genres, or games can be in multiple genres.
Aeon's End, for instance, is co-op and a deckbuilder.
>>
>>53917059
A really good game. Still butthurt it's out of print.
>>
>>53918132
No expansions. Just 1 new player, 1 person who couldve won 3 times but forgot to win one time (dont ask) and was barely blocked 2 other times, people taking 10 minutes per turn.
>>
>>53920429
As someone who played it a lot (was our first boardgame) it was a huge improvement over risk since instead of it being a long slog it had many of the modern game sensibilities. It was fun out to plan out all the possible moves and try and steer eachother. I did burn out hard on it, it is actually really shallow and lately ive been simming up and playing subpar on purpose so I could avoid most of the buttrape and then hopefully recover in the last few turns. Which makes it really boring, since instead of minmaxing your game, you just pretend to be retarded.
Ive youre new to boardgaming and easy to understand and play combat is your thing, you can have fun with smallworld. But I think the name and artwork is what makes most people interested in it.
>>
>>53922485
>not asking /bgg/ for its perfect opinion.
What I usually do is I see a few boardgames mentioned and look them up. If they have mechanics I dislike I toss those. Then the pool I have left I look how they play (first half of any review), if they seem to have some interesting mechanics that catch my eye I watch the full review. Generally the best reviews arent the top rated ones by the few whales (dice tower, driveby reviews, etc.) but the ones that are rated lower by people that dont do as many reviews. Most of them are terrible since they dont know what they are doing, but others are very good since the person usually doesnt review but liked the game so much he wants to tell you about the game and why he enjoyed it so much.
Boardgame shops often have games set up so if you can try the game out there (or at gaming conventions) you probably get the best experience. But even there multiple plays can really change the game (for worse or for better).
>>
>>53924203
Smallworld is nothing like Risk, Smallworld is an engine building and auction game.

The ""map"" is just a stylized victory point tracker, there's no real area control decisions in the game.
>>
>>53924282
I know, but we only had that to compare and not having dice combat and slow drawn out eliminations was nice. But once you look beyond that its just a different type of game where its style is just windowdressing for a rather plain game.
And the map has some effects since it has choke points you can use. while deciding which person you want to attack is often more important, there are some decisions in which area to control.
>engine building
what, your old race is removed constantly. There is no sense of escalation
>>
>>53924314
>what, your old race is removed constantly. There is no sense of escalation
Right, it's a simple game. Still, the basic strategy is the same -- grab bonuses and keep applying them in quick succession such that points grow exponentially and your opponents don't have enough resources to dismantle them.
>>
>>53924389
Except someone with plundering can do it easily, if they destroy your new race and you go in decline you also lose your old race. How the fuck do you get an exponential point growth
>>
Why is Cosmic Encounter the greatest board game of all time?
>>
>>53924412
You're right, not exactly exponential, but whatever.

>>53924675
Nice try, m8.
>>
>>53924675
Go to bed Vasel, it's a fun game with the right group but it's a far cry from "best of all time".
>>
>>53849815
I'm backing this. It's my first kikestarter thing, as well. Looks good and Vtes was GOAT.
>>
>>53924675
Pity (You) awarded.
>>
>>53921536
It's fun, way better with 2 players, has a campaign mode where your character improves as you play, and due to the fact that so many cards are discarded (2 per action), there's enough randomness and variety to give it replayability. I got it for $18, and feel like it was worth the price.
>>
Bump limit reached. Page 10 ahoy!
>>
>>53926291
Fresh thread before heading out the door

>>53927126
>>53927126
>>
>>53926291
NEW THREAD
>>53927147
>>53927147
>>53927147
>>53927147
>>
File: FB_IMG_1498059663180.jpg (39KB, 610x620px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1498059663180.jpg
39KB, 610x620px
>>53927133
>>53927160
>>
>>53927160
>>53927133
You maniacs! You fucked it up! Damn you! Damn you all to Monopoly!
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.