[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 375
Thread images: 47

File: 1492578058652.jpg (133KB, 803x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492578058652.jpg
133KB, 803x1000px
Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options 2:

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>Feedback Questionnaires:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53718524

Should stats dictate how you roleplay or just be there to determine outcomes of certain situations?
>>
>>53726565
You shouldn't roleplay directly against your stats, that said there's no reason a dumb person can't have a good plan.
>>
Our close group of friends are about to head into 5e as having played rpgs before, what can we expect from 5e? And how is the combat this edition?
>>
File: I AM GUNNERY SERGEANT HARTMAN.jpg (20KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
I AM GUNNERY SERGEANT HARTMAN.jpg
20KB, 480x270px
ALRIGHT MAGGOTS, GIVE ME A GOOD ONE-SHOT FOR A LOW-LEVEL PARTY
>>
File: 1462202821128.jpg (29KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
1462202821128.jpg
29KB, 412x430px
>>53726565
reposting

guys, i got D&D in 2 hours and my bard went from 9 to 10th level and used downtime to jump to 11 for tier 3 adventure league fun. Gimme 2 spells a bard can best use from his Magical secrets ability (2 spells from any class, just have to be high enough level to cast them, so at level 10 it would have been up to 5th level spells).

Help!
>>
>>53726662
You're a bunch of recruits being thrown in a training exercise bound to go wrong.
>>
>>53726679
Someone said Bigby's Hand which is a pretty good suggestion
>>
>>53726679
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3s8906/all_core_magical_secrets_picks_for_bard/cwuzq4x/
>>
>>53726607
>You shouldn't roleplay directly against your stats
I disagree, because context is often the deciding factor on what should and shouldn't work. A character with extremely low Charisma (due to incredible ugliness or inability to speak coherently) might not win people over with persuasion, but such a repulsive character would probably be actually pretty good at intimidation.

Never got to play it much, but I'm pretty sure the Malifaux RPG had a similar philosophy to its design. It's common for characters to actually have NEGATIVES in certain abilities, but that's perfectly fine because it might turn into a positive depending on how you use it (and certain talents actually require you to have a stat no higher than a specific number in order to take).
>>
>>53726608
Pretty quick and easy to follow
>>
Any advice for playing a lore bard? What spells should I be taking? How do I best use my bardic inspiration?
>>
File: Spellblade.pdf (757KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Spellblade.pdf
757KB, 1x1px
Wondering if I could get feedback on my homebrew class. It's basically Gish, the class. There are a lot of options already for gishes in 5e, but people keep asking for more, or at least something different. This is my attempt to provide what I believe to be what people want from a gish. A solid melee fighter, with magic to provide combat options and enhancements.

Firstly, it uses spell points instead of slots. While more flexible, they only get around 75% of the spell points a full caster would. This is to pull back some of the power gained from the spell point system. This also allows them to use more of their weaker spells if need be, which I feel adds the feeling of getting a lot more spells out, another thing I believe people want from a gish.

Secondly their spell list is very sparse. They get few spells that have application outside of combat. They also get around 20 known spells, some coming from their archetype, which provides spells they would not usually get to add variety. Each archetype also provides variety, changing the class to be a tank, anti-mage, red mage or utility character.

At least this is how I've tried to design it. If you have any ideas on improvements or balancing, I'd love to discuss it. Please ignore the empty space, I'm still looking for art if I decide to put it on the DMsG.
>>
>>53726918
Not 100% on spells other than counter spell being really useful and just having one healing can really help the party out in a pinch. As for inspiration the lore bard I played with would normally save it for bigger damage dealers in tough fights or in situations where someone had to succeed on a check. It's really up to you on how you use it.
>>
>>53726662
You are part of a merchant caravan that intruded on the secret grounds of a monastery.
The school masters have ordered for your death.

Enjoy having your players get PTSD from not!Vietnam.
>>
What is /5eg/ opinion on a goblin shadow monk

>inb4 monk is bad meme
>>
Is it just me, or can literally every concept (except for druids) be built better as a bard?
>>
>>53727278
They're jacks of all trades
>>
>>53727258
Sounds retarded, I'm in.
>>
>>53727293
Now how about multiclassing it into assasin rouge?
>>
>>53727291

The term "Jack of all trades, master of none" doesn't really work if they're "masters of all" as well
>>
So, my DM's been looking for a new player in roll20 since last week. The thing is that he's kind of an asshole. I see the notifications (which have to be from earlier today as I'd kept an eye yesterday) of him seemingly talking to the new player on the campaign forum and going through the entire cycle of picking a player, having some dumb fight and either kicking him or the player leaving within a few messages.

Before people go >roll20, I'm currently in another group that's been hitch-free for about 3 months. It's just that this dude is catty as fuck. Should have left a good while ago but here we are
>>
>>53727333
>rouge
>>
>>53727527
>Noticing your mistake but not wanting to make an entire post to fix it

Feels bad man
>>
>>53727367
They aren't though. As in, they can't possibly keep up with an actual frontline martial in damage, a wizard is going to outshine them in OoC utility, they have next to no blasting options to compete with specialized casters, a lot of clerics are going to heal better and provide comparable support and even in skill stuff they're at most comparable to rogue. They can fill in for several roles but they absolutely can't do everything better than everyone else
>>
>>53726565
Determined outcomes, because some retards love pulling the 'it's what my character would do' because they think 8 int or wis means full retard.
>>
File: IMG_1288.jpg (189KB, 700x742px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1288.jpg
189KB, 700x742px
I think my party has actual brain damage

>Hey Adventurers, the wizard who controls the weather from his tower has stopped responding to our messanger birds and it's been raining for weeks.
>Go to his hut and find out what happened please
>Inside the hut is a guy standing inside a magic seal drawn on the ground
>Looks like the weather wizard's description.
>"Hello adventurers! Set me free, and I will give you my rod of wonders!"
>Party's warlock rolls arcana on the sigil that the sigil that the wizard is inside
>Those are runes for summoning a demon
>"I caught my acolyte trying to summon a demon and attempted to stop him, but he used a scroll to swap my place with the demon and trap me inside this circle! Set me free and I will give you my rod of wonders!"
>Bard asks if he can roll insight
>Sure, it feels like there's more to the story than he's telling you
>"My acolyte has cast a spell that makes all who see me distrust me! Please, fight it off and set me free, and I will give you my rod of wonders!"
>Players decide this sounds legit
>Rub out part of the circle
>Wizard laughs and teleports away
>Warlock looks at me incredulously
>"What the fuck, GM, he left without giving us his rod of wonders!"
>>
>>53727278
You're wrong. How would you build a bard that fights and/or tanks better than a fighter or paladin, or barbarian? Or a holy armored healer better than a cleric? Bards are awesome at what they do, but they can't replace the other classes.
>>
>>53727635
well, except rogues.
>>
>>53727652
Nah man. Can't replace that earlier Expertise and later Reliable Talent.
>>
Didn't the trove used to have 80s artbooks/RP supplements? Why is it just all rules stuff?
>>
>>53727839
Well, first of all, are you sure you aren't thinking of the /osrg/ trove? If not, it's probably because the original trove was taken down a while ago. This one's not even updated I think,
>>
>>53727839
The trove got destroyed when Rick (the previous owner) got a C&D order from Roll20 and WotC. You can still find the books on dnd.rem.uz somewhere
>>
File: 1471465824867-2.jpg (18KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
1471465824867-2.jpg
18KB, 225x350px
>>53727626
That's almost as funny as the paladin fucking up his party's chance at asking some god or whatever a question.
>>
>>53727938
Isn't there a spell to ask your god 3 yes/no questions?
>>
>>53727907
Checking it now, can't find much with regards to artwork. These Gygax books seem neat though

>>53727908
Bummer. Figured they'd re-upload with all the stuff considering the 5e material is still on there.
>>
>>53726975
It really should be an int class. We already have two cha gishes (and paladins if you count them as gishes).

I like that it uses spell points. The higher level spells look a bit too cheap to me (meteor swarm is a hell of a lot better than two level 5 nukes), but you limit them to one casting per long rest anyway so I don't think it's that big a deal.

1d10 hit dice is probably a tad overtuned when the other gishes with as much spellcasting are either 1d6 or 1d8.

Dilettante is just a better valor bard. The spellsword gets counter spell and the dilettante gets haste, both spells at the top of the bard's "grab with magical secrets", as well as magical secrets. Spell points give him perfect flexibility with his buffs and utility spells. It's just too much for a class that is so similar to another, already very strong class.

Protector has a lot of overlap with the stone sorcerer, but I think there's enough difference for the two to coexist.

The Savant really doesn't feel like a gish at all. It looks a lot like a tomelock with extra attack and the quickened spell metamagic. Why is this even a spellblade archetype?

For the Silencer, Spellstrike is really just another kind of smite and really doesn't have anything with what the subclass is supposed to be. Reigning in the spike potential is very important in keeping a gish from being a "do everything better than everyone else" class. Maybe tie the extra damage to casting spells in some way? I don't mind the rest of the silencer's features, though Weapon Bond alone at level 3 might be a bit weak given the EK also gets that plus casting.
>>
File: 1487907091721.jpg (10KB, 251x226px) Image search: [Google]
1487907091721.jpg
10KB, 251x226px
Reminder that elves are degenerate.
>>
>>53727258
>>53727333
Styx please go
>>
>>53727614

>take smites as your magical secrets
>be a better paladin because you have a higher spellslot level to smite with + more castings as well as being able to self-haste

Martials are terrible
>>
File: ctowy.jpg (459KB, 1152x1027px) Image search: [Google]
ctowy.jpg
459KB, 1152x1027px
I'm putting a deck of many things into my low level campaign and you can't stop me TG.
>>
>>53728376
How low level? 1-4? If so... prepare for craziness.
>>
>>53728376
God for it. Should be fun.
>>
>>53728401
*Go
Fucking phone
>>
File: 1494378355117.jpg (42KB, 285x287px) Image search: [Google]
1494378355117.jpg
42KB, 285x287px
>>53728310
>Mfw I'm multiclassing OoA paladin and lore bard

Smites for days
>>
File: 1470528566945.jpg (95KB, 804x740px) Image search: [Google]
1470528566945.jpg
95KB, 804x740px
>>53728248
Never.

Civic nationalism needs me.
>>
>>53728481
I was going more along the lines of this, I forgot that guy was a thing
>>
>>53728500
God that game was shit
>>
>>53728515
Never played it saw the trailer and stuff and said "meh". They're coming out with another but once I saw it my first thought was "some asshat is gonna try and make a DnD character of this" I just never thought I'd get to see it live.
>>
>>53728310
I don't know a single DM stupid enough to allow that
>>
>>53726746
This just makes Charisma an extremely weird stat to use effectively. Say that you're playing a Tiefling. The lore says that pretty much everyone distrusts and/or hates Tieflings, but still they get charisma bonuses and typically take a Cha-based class like Warlock....So they'll probably have excellent Persuasion and Deception checks despite people being inherently distrustful of them. Logically most Tieflings should only be good at Intimidation and not so much at the rest of the Cha skills, but that's apparently not how the game works. Should you as a player then just be fair and stick to Intimidation while ignoring these other skills you're probably great at, mathematically speaking?

And although this low Charisma is there for the character you mention, and even if this is due to some disfigurement that gives him proficiency in the Intimidate skill, he's still not going to outperform a commoner in Intimidate until he's at a sufficiently high level.
>>
>>53728538
I had no idea this existed, I just wanted a goblin assassin monk
>>
>>53728591

>The lore says that pretty much everyone distrusts and/or hates Tieflings

Why? There is a entire race of the guys and it's not like the dragonborn were saints in the war either. I mean, any tiefling you meet is as likely be run his family bakery as he is to have any magical skill.
>>
Looking at starting a Curse of Strahd Campaign, what is some advice for the campaign as a whole?I know to play Strahd like an asshole, but what else?
>>
>>53728591
But anon, a level 1 character with 8 Charisma and proficiency in Intimidation will outperform a commoner.
>>
>>53728612
>using lore for 4e
Anon, no one likes tieflings because their grandpa was a devil from the nine hells, not because of an evil empire.
>>
>>53728619
A character with 8 Charisma doesn't have 'extremely low Charisma', which I assumed was like 3 or 4.

>>53728612
Well, the PHB says that people close their windows and bar their doors when tieflings pass by and that they're typically only accepted in minority populations. I also remember reading somewhere that people trust half-orcs more than Tieflings.

#notalltieflings
>>
>>53728696
Please not this shit again
>>
Is fire still the worst element?
>>
File: 1439511765241.jpg (381KB, 717x897px) Image search: [Google]
1439511765241.jpg
381KB, 717x897px
>>53728576
Why not? You're working within the rules of the game and it sounds awesome being some sort of angelic choir bard or whatever. They won't have the defenses, auras, hit points, CD, or Lay on Hands of an actual paladin. They'd just have stronger burst and have to burn spell slots that could've been used on strong utility options to achieve something that 2-3 other members of the party likely could have accomplished.

Yeah, Bards can do some sick stuff with Magical Secrets, but it's rarely "I'm a better X than X", more like "I'm better at X than X".
>>
>>53728696
>I also remember reading somewhere that people trust half-orcs more than Tieflings.

So they'll trust a member of a race that is actively raiding places (Likely nearby at that) than someone who had an ancestor several generations ago who was a member of an evil race someone has likely never seen? Half Orcs seem like the less trustworthy group.
>>
>>53726662
Giant leeches are sucking energy from a holy tree.
With the holy tree wounded, zombobos are swarming the forest.
>>
>>53728759
Half orcs are dumb dumbs you might be able to bribe off, a tiefling has demon blood in its veins and is pure evil
>>
>>53728743
It thematically doesn't make a lot of sense and is shameless powergaming to get higher damage, besides going against what was likely the intent for magical secrets. You're already a fucking bard, you don't need more versatility nor do you need to be better than X at X when you already could do X, Y and Z very well besides your actual role.There are DMs who ban Lore Bards altogether to avoid the whole can of worms
>>
Is there a monk archetype built around supporting/healing others?
>>
>>53728376
I have a custom 'Deck of the Trembling World' that I'm giving to my level 5 players.
>>
>>53728864
Please share
>>
>>53728801

>a tiefling has demon blood in its veins and is pure evil

Nothing makes teiflings inherently evil. Heck, nothing makes them inherently visible as a demon.

That's one of those weird things, Tieflings are so variable...how the hell do you tell someone IS a tiefling if you are Joe Peasant? A Succubus descended Tiefling likely looks very human and demons of all sorts are so wide-ranging that there isn't really common traits. Especially when many of those (Horns for example) traits are shaded by Fey and Fey in D&D are more often good than evil.

Not like the NPCs can read your sheet.
>>
A buddy of mine once found a list of exotic (maybe Monk?) weapons that included a Bola that our then-DM let me have on my Monk character. I can't find any legit source for it, but I don't believe my friend would have given me unofficial homebrew stuff.

I just asked him about it again. He said he thought it was in the "monk feature section" but that it might be an Unearthed Arcana Monk thing.

Any help/ideas? Trying to get a bola on a different character now for silly flavor gimmick reasons.
>>
File: 1490784494668.jpg (546KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
1490784494668.jpg
546KB, 979x832px
>>53728892
>horns
>unnatural coloured skin
>tail
>unnatural coloured eyes

>nothing makes them inherently visible as a demon
>>
>>53728874
There's no full descriptions of effects, I like improvisation so most of my notes are quite 'loose'.

Still, here you go.
>>
>>53728940

All of those could also make you an Aasimar. The NG Celestials often have horns and tails with the animal theme.

Most D&D demons also don't have horns.
>>
>>53728940

The actual race crap for the planetouched has made it clear since forever that they're just meant to be humans with something off about them from their infernal or divine ancestors.

Yet the actual drawings or characters who are tieflings never, ever show you anything else than a full on devil person with purple skin, horns and glowing fucking eyes.

5e's examples of tiefling physical characteristics give minor stuff like weird eyes or pointy teeth or even just giving people a really discomforting feeling without any other problems at all. It even says that the ones who do end up full goatman can be killed at birth by their understandably freaked the fuck out parents.

Its really bizarre, because they're not really meant to be a 'race' so to speak. They're tainted humans. Theoretically two tieflings who looked like devil people could breed and have a totally normal child. But really the tiefling phenotype seems to come out as one exact thing so fucking much you'd think they'd be able to breed true as a new species by now.

I dont really remember, but i dont think the Aassimar (?) get the same treatment.
>>
>>53728940

D&D Teiflings are more variable than an X-man team. No two of them really look the same outside of 4e (Where they actually had a common origin).
>>
How should I roleplay my cleric of Umberlee?
We have a nautical campaign coming up.
>>
>>53728848
Tanquility from th UA
>>
Is charging still a thing in 5e?
>>
>>53729095
Thank you. The first tiefling I knew about was Ei-Vene, the very nearsighted, half-deaf mortician with no irises, only yellow eyes and orange pupils. She stitched up corpses with the blades on her fingers. No tail or horns, just a weird character with fiendish origins.
>>
File: 1480540140251.jpg (163KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480540140251.jpg
163KB, 480x480px
Rate my shitty idea for a Paladin /5eg/.

>Oath of Devotion Paladin
>Gold Dragonborn
>Name is Ladonos Vespirian
>Courage is his childhood name
>15 years old (legally an adult for a dragonborn)
>Young and naive but passionate, brave, and devoted
>Party will call him "Lad" for short
>Will be over 7 feet tall and over 300 pounds
>Noble (Knight) Background
>Two-Handed Greatsword wielder
>Entire family worships Bahamut
>Stereotypical Paladin Personality and Ideals
>Bond is that he fell madly in love with a noble woman his noble family despises
>Woman is a Tiefling
>Noble family is from a long line of knights, priests, and royal guards
>They are racist against Tiefling, the "devilblooded"
>Their family has always hated evil and fiends with a passion
>His family will call her a succubus and a demon
>Family is disappointed for shaming them like this
>Attempt to get him married to a good Dragonborn girl
>He refuses but remains loyal to his family, does not run away
>Reveals that he already asked her to marry him and that she is his fiance
>They are furious
>They come up with an idea
>Pull some strings to get her family to send her far, far away
>Spread the rumor that she was brutally murdered
>Family is tired of Lad's shit and wants him gone to stop shaming their name
>Send Ladonos out to complete some insane suicide mission / quest (haven't decided yet)
>Lad becomes somewhat warped as he realizes they want him gone
>Practically get disowned, but knows that Bahamut understands
>He sets out both to find her and complete this quest
>He knows that his family was involved with her disappearance but doesn't know how
>His flaw is martyrdom
>Seeks death in his line of duty
>Half believes the stories that his fiance was killed
>Thinks that if he dies he can be with her
>Wants to live for Bahamut and his lover but wants to die for his family and the cause of Bahamut

I'll leave any other details to the DM with otherwise full control.

Should I kill myself? /pol/ says yes.
>>
While under the effects of your own polymorph spell and you have the Warcaster feat do you still have advantage on concentration checks?
>>
File: an hero.jpg (129KB, 1235x486px) Image search: [Google]
an hero.jpg
129KB, 1235x486px
>>53729496
>>
>>53729510
No. You don't have the feat anymore.
>>
>>53729161
There is a charger feat.
>>
>>53729496
What level are you starting at?
>>
>>53729519
Same with Shapechange?
>>
So.

Character dances. Takes this pretty fucking seriously.

But is not a bard. Is a WIS-dependent caster.

I'm new to 5e: any way to get any proficient at dancing?
While I'm at it, any way to get proficient with a martial weapon?
>>
>>53729518
If I understand it correctly in 5e aren't both Dragonborn and Tiefling descended from humans that were tainted with the blood of dragons and devils?

If that's true then be it Dragonborn or Tiefling they're just different sides of the same coin. Or so he'll say, anyway.

>>53729546
Level 1 starting campaign.
>>
>>53729552
Shapechangge has this line.

> You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them, provided that your new form is physically capable of doing so.

Polymorph and True Polymorph doesn't.
>>
>>53729621
I see thank you!
>>
>>53729568
Take a background as an entertainer and take a proficiency in performance (dancing)
>>
>>53729568
For weapon proficiency... A dip in war or tempest cleric
>>
>>53729568
Path of the 4 Elements Monk is shit, but can sort of do what you want. Maybe a dex based Cleric.
>>
>>53729410

Anon...

She was Ravel.
She was always Ravel.
>>
>>53729656
Backgrounds you say...

>>53729687
Hmpf. Only way to get proficiency in one select weapon?
>>
>>53729799
>>53729799
Page 130 of the PHB

Entertainer (Dancer)

The Gladiator variant allows you to replace your musical instrument (which you won't need) with an "inexpensive but unusual weapon, like a trident or net."
>>
>>53729799
Depend on what weapon
>>53729885
That background variant only replace your free starting equipment, not proficiency.
>>
>>53726565
>Campaign is wrapping up
>All but one other PC (party wizard) has pledged themselves to my character
>I have united several nations under my banner and have the only military force capable of facing down the main antagonist's forces.
>Same PC that won't ally with me spends every moment IC antagonizing my character since day 1.

Both of our characters are HUGE assholes, and my question is:
When the campaign concludes and we're wrapping up loose ends, how would you guys handle it in my position?

The DM said how we wrap up will carry over to the next campaign with our characters as NPCs. I want to eliminate him without killing his PC. Not only would it be "what my character would do" but it also gives potential for some neat plot hooks next campaign.
>>
>>53729984
Inprison him, I guess.
>>
>>53729984
>Frame him for a crime he didn't commit
>Imprison him in a magical mcguffin of magicalness
>Publicly shame him for some moral sin to the point where he leaves willingly in tears
>Just straight up exile him from your band. No apologies. Just "Get out. Now."

I can't suggest anything more specific since I don't have enough details about what's been happening in your campaign
>>
>>53729984
Give him a wedgie in front of the entire kingdom.
>>
>>53729984
Sounds like you guys are super tsundere for each other. Time to confess your love.
>>
>>53729984
Send him on a chase after a "magical artifact of true arcane might" that is in the most vile, evil place you can, and send a couple troops with him with orders to "protect the mage (if you lose sight, fucking bail)"
>>
>>53730008
Not even trolling when I say this, but wizards have too many tricks up their sleeves to just imprison.
>>53730038
We're fending off a demon invasion, I have united all of the monstrous races and dwarves (they're subjugated by the "civilized races" in this setting) and will essentially be world ruler after this is over. His character allied with the demons at one point and I foiled his plans of betraying the party. He's shown that he's too dangerous to be allowed to remain. I was thinking of saying he can leave but taking his hands and tongue before he's allowed to go.

He also has the formula for how to become a lich.
>>
>>53729984
Propose to him.
>>
>>53730082
I've posted this before in here.

My PC made a voodoo doll of his character and cuddles it while he sleeps every single night. His PC feels as if he is being gently nestled with hot breath on his neck every night while he sleeps.

This infuriates his player to no end.
>>
File: 1465750771243.png (247KB, 812x501px) Image search: [Google]
1465750771243.png
247KB, 812x501px
>>53730107
>Marry me
>ew no that's gay
>I love you though!
>ewww i'm out peace bitches
>Ha, plan worked. Yeah. That's it... it was... all a r-ruse
>>
Light Cleric
Evocation Wizard
Dragon Sorcerer

Which is better as a blaster? Are there other good options?
>>
>>53730195
Evo wizard is SHIT. Divination is best for blasting because you can use portents to force auto-failures on your big Save or Dies.
>>
File: 1468899841059.png (56KB, 485x409px) Image search: [Google]
1468899841059.png
56KB, 485x409px
>>53730097
Becoming just a normal lich is boring though.

I've got an idea: You try to execute him, maybe you even challenge him to 1 on 1 combat, and he loses, but he manages to escape. He is wounded and crippled, perhaps he loses a limb, but he escapes. Maybe one of the demons swoops in and picks him up and he flees in that way. But with the Lich ritual he works to perfect it. He does not merely want to become a lich. He seeks power even greater than that of any demon you've faced, or of anything on this mortal plane.

He seeks revenge against you and the party, and their ancestors, and will have it if he gets his way.
>>
>>53730195
Sorc isn't bad, but usually you want to twin haste on your martials. Twinning Blight can really fuck shit up though.
>>
>>53730209
>Evo wizard is SHIT
Sculpt spell is pretty useful, as dealing +5 damage with each magic missile.

Potent cantrip seems shit though, is there any useful cantrip for it?
>>
File: 1429487631119.jpg (112KB, 1103x725px) Image search: [Google]
1429487631119.jpg
112KB, 1103x725px
Anyone got a homebrew race appropriate of these cute moth people?
>>
What classes have a high damage without a multi attack? Im trying to make a charger lance build, but you cant combo with a dash action or a cast booming blade action.
>>
What do /5eg/?
>my dorf is a neutral uncaring jerk
>this offends a party member because my dorf doesn't care about le nazi red plumes
>they are so offended both in and out of character that they never want me to play that dwarf again

I don't want this guy to hate me, but I don't know what to do
>>
>>53730499
Have you explained your disinterest?
>>
>>53730437
>Everytime they see fire, mothmen directly run and stay in it until death
>>
>>53730499
Dont play a jerk character. Try to make your characters personality progress into something more tasteful for your parties sake. If its a written campaign, you could have your dm script in something to make your characters view change on the situation to make him care.
>>
>>53730499
Have you explained to them that this is a role-playing game and they should probably relax before they burst a blood vessel?

And also that role-playing an asshole is a legitimate thing you can do in this game.
>>
>>53730499

Switch to lawful evil and join the le ebil nazis
>>
>>53730138
We only said that it would work, not that it would make you happy
>>
>>53730499
You're playing an asshole, so people are treating him like an asshole. What did you expect to happen?
>>
>>53730437
+4 charisma
Weak to fire, light, and all types of physical damage
Can fly
>>
>>53730499
Cut the throats of your party while they sleep.
>>
>>53730604
But it's OOC too. They're getting mad at a PLAYER because his CHARACTER doesn't want to be an antifa faggot
>>
>>53730548
Yah, my dwarf doesn't want to fuck with them And their trade routes, one of which the rest of the party was hijacking a caravan

>>53730595
i would but being a dwarf they don't like me

>>53730604
No I was being neutral and I was doing my best at playing my character

>>53730593
He said "this is literally soylent green is people" so he seems to be injecting his own personal views into his character
>>
>>53730463
Clerics with Divine Strike, Paladins and Warlocks with smiting (and in theory any caster with the smite spells could work). Rogue has high damage potential on one attack but would require some janky multiclassing to work as a lancer.
>>
>>53730630
Not saying that they aren't being different brands of assholes, just stating that when someone plays an asshole character (especially with people you aren't friends with), expect them to make assumptions about them.
>>
>>53730630
We were literally helping a revolution against le nazis, so yah, my character is the only one who didn't help those elf loving antifa scum
>>
>>53730666
>No, I was being neutral and I was doing my best at playing my character

You described you're character as an uncaring jerk, which is fine. That is a viable character concept. Just don't expect everyone to embrace it (and you) with open arms when you play that kind of character, especially if you're not helping the party out.
>>
>>53730701
>>53730747
To be fair my dwarf did try to stop the fighting between our paladin and the leader of le nazis
>>
>>53727393
I'm actually looking for more games on Roll20, if you guys are still looking for people.
>>
>>53729576
No, in 5e Dragonborn have variable origin stories, but pretty much none of them say they're descended from humans (in 3rd edition Dragonborn were humans who worshipped Bahamut and went through metamorphosis). In the Forgotten Realms they're transplants from a parallel world who hate dragons. Tieflings are pretty much always descended from devils and demons in some way though, whether through actual human-demon reproduction of through some sort of pact.
>>
>>53730761
I feel like I'm missing valuable context that would somehow shine you in a much more positive light. Because from >>53730742 it sounds like you're the group's 'That Guy'.

You maybe be an autist faggot, but in a campaign that's about over throwing the le ebil nazis as you put it, you're character appears to be the one that either doesn't give two fucks either way (so why are you even there) or is working against them.

If I may make a suggestion? Why not talk to the DM and see if you can play a more antagonist role in the campaign? Maybe join the other side? You know about the party, you know how they work, you'd be a valuable resource for them. Don't play with the main party (because there is obviously some conflict of interest), but instead do a side thing instead?
>>
File: attachment.jpg (215KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
attachment.jpg
215KB, 600x900px
>>53728892
>Nothing makes teiflings inherently evil
yes anon, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT we're talking about ignorant peasants, they take one look at a guy like pic related and you REALLY think they are going to say to themselves "well maybe you just have to get to know him." first? Of course not, they are going to look at him, go "FUCK THAT SHIT" and lock up for the day.

Shit man, people to this very day will do that shit just because your hair is a different color.
>>
>>53730499
You're a neutral faggot, what'd you expect? If you don't care about whatever they're trying to deal with why are you there?
>>
>>53726746
>>53728591
You guys clearly do not understand charisma
>>
>>53730860
I just stayed back and was only prepared to help if things went south, and it was only passing by hillspar, not the whole campeign, it was one session because the DM is running the adventurers league content that leads into a hardcover
>>
>>53730499
Neck yourself.
As a DM, it's not my job to find inspiration for your character. If you're character isn't interested in what everyone else is doing, he can fuck off back to the mountains and you can roll up a character that gives a shit.
>>
>>53730974
>not giving a shit for one session
>fuck off back to the mountains
>>
>>53730974
wow you sound like a really fun DM
>>
File: 1482247791418.png (73KB, 500x444px) Image search: [Google]
1482247791418.png
73KB, 500x444px
Help me make a meme illusionist wizard.
>>
>>53731136
Take Wizard: Illusion
Use minor illusion to frogpost
Done.
>>
File: 1487561587087.jpg (72KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1487561587087.jpg
72KB, 550x550px
>>53731160
THEY SAW THROUGH MY FROGPOSTING

WHAT DO I DO NOW HELP
>>
>>53730499
Explain to him you're both playing pretend and there's no reason to get so bent out of shape?
What do you mean by nazi red plumes?
>>53730604
>not giving a fuck about the bad guys makes you an asshole
This "if you aren't against them then you're with them" mentality needs to end.
>>
Quick, I can choose any level 1 spell of any class to cast at will. What do I choose?
>>
>>53730761
You're group does realize that playing d&d won't actually effect Donald "Two Scoops" DRUMPF in any way right?
>>
>>53731219
The red plumes, from hillspar, they're potrayed as being nazis but I wanted to throw the narrative for a loop by not hating them outright
>>
>>53731221
shield
>>
>>53730437
>>53730570
>>53730615
I need a fantasy name for "Moth person" and some kind of backstory

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1, and your Charisma increases by 1 - Charisma because they're adorable.
Age. Mothpeople typically reach adulthood at the age of 6 and live less than half a century
Alignment. Most Mothpeople are Good. I imagine they'd organize themselves in small collectives of maybe a few families each, and generally be very timid and keep to themselves on account of their frailty. Quiet people, I imagine.
Size. Mothpeople average about 3 feet tall and weigh 30 pounds. Your size is small.
Speed. Your base waking speed is 25 feet.
Vestigial Wings. You can make long jumps and high jumps without the need to move prior. I can't imagine those wings giving them full and unrestricted flight.
Four Arms. You can interact with one additional object or feature of the environment for free - See Page 190 of the Player's Handbook. I also imagine that the lower set of arms might also not be as developed. Still useable, but not strong enough to swing a sword or what have you
Subraces. Pick from Diurnal or Silk

Silk
I have no fucking clue man, but they should get Sunlight Sensitivity and Superior Darkvision.

Diurnal.
Still no clue, but they get to be the moths that aren't living in utter darkness.
>>
>>53730577
Faggot.

>>53730499
Keep doing what you're doing.
>>
>>53731244
Most of them do but theres one beta-looking kid who took it personally
>>
File: FN-2199.gif (966KB, 448x218px) Image search: [Google]
FN-2199.gif
966KB, 448x218px
Let's assume for a moment that I'm adapting 5e to Star Wars. Let's also assume I know about the one that exists already, but don't care for it (particularly in that the Force is just represented by Vancian-type spells...I plan on instead using the Mystic as a basis for a Force-using class and Force powers).

So, having made these assumptions...weapons proficiencies. How should things like blasters and lightsabers be handled? How about force pikes and stun batons?

My first instinct is to re-do proficiencies so that you have "basic" weapons and "advanced" weapons. "Basic" essentially covers a swath of D&D standard weapons, whether they're simple or martial. So, like, a club and a knife are basic weapons, but so is a longsword or a whip.

Then "advanced" weapons covers the more technological stuff, like blasters and flamethrowers and so on.

Two questions, then.
1) Does this sound like a good idea?
2) If so, should lightsabers be grouped under "advanced" weapons, or should they be a completely distinct proficiency? Star Wars lore is supposedly that it takes years of mastery to use a lightsaber (therefore a distinct proficiency), but Finn in The Force Awakens, who merely has basic Stormtrooper training, seems to be reasonably decent with it for a weapon he'd presumably never used before.

There's also the argument of "keep it simple, stupid" for 5e, which would mean keeping lightsabers under "advanced" weapons seems to make the most sense.

Thoughts?

Oh, also, TR-8R's sick electro whatever it is, will totally also be a thing.
>>
>>53731298
Star wars is gay
>>
>>53731298
I'm pretty sure even an ape can use a real gun.
>>
>>53730928
Okay, I'm confused... From what you say >>53730742 it sounds like this entire campaign is centered around being a revolutionary against 'le nazis'. But then you're saying that it was only one session, so either were you just passing by, or is the campaign centered around fighting them?

Also, are these people you're playing with, are they friends or just a random group? If they're friends, then talk to the dude giving you shit and try to settle it like human beings. If they're just some random group of strangers, find a new game.

>>53731219
Not giving a fuck about the bad-guys in a campaign that appears to be able deposing the bad-guys is an asshole move, in this circumstance. If he doesn't oppose them, then why is he there at all?
>>
>>53731245
>human supremacists
>harass non-human inhabitants
>unfair laws targeting non-humans
After reading a bit about them it seems a bit hyperbolic to call them Nazis. Is there something I'm missing?
I mean, they're assholes but don't seem to be genociding people.

As for the campaign. On one hand it is kind of a dick move to play someone who doesn't fit the theme of the game if you knew ahead of time it was going to be about taking down the red plumes, but on the other hand the other player is a sperg for getting mad OOC.
>>
>>53731363
Why aren't you fighting ISIS right now, Anon? Do you hate Freedom? Do you hate God? Are you an accomplice in their bombings?

Stop making stupid morality comments.
>>
>>53731329
I'll just presume you're an expert in the field after a lifetime of study.

>>53731333
An ape could use a longsword, too, the question is whether or not he could use it well.
>>
>>53731372
>>53731363
It was one session
Bane of the tradeways, should be in the trove, thinknit was part if the OOtA season of AL
>>
>>53731389
not that anon, but:
no, yes, no
>>
>>53730666
So here's the thing. Your character wants to ignore the Major goal the rest of the party is trying to take down.

The only reason that dwarf is still in the party, and this is the only reason, is that you OOC want to le eben troll some antifa cucks and justify it by saying "but it's what my character would do. "

Welcome to the That Guy Club, friend. Drinks are half prices during meeting hours, you'll be taking the minutes if Craig doesn't show up.
>>
>>53731363
Yeah i agree with that part, but it doesn't seem worth another player getting mad outside of the game.
Unless he's derailing it.
>>
File: 1493565283503.jpg (165KB, 900x794px) Image search: [Google]
1493565283503.jpg
165KB, 900x794px
>>53731298
I think that the design goals of Star Wars and the design goals of 5E are fairly incompatible. They're not completely incompatible, but they aren't a great fit. A lot of the granularity of 5E isn't needed for a Star Wars game, and Star Wars needs some systems and themes that aren't provided.

You are almost certainly going to be better off if you drop the idea and use another system. Time to get out in the world and try new things.
>>
>>53731399
I'm pretty sure using a blaster is even easier than using a longsword.

First, you don't need to be strong.
>>
>>53730499

Sounds like you're playing with hardcore social justice freaks. Ignore them and find a better, saner table.

When my party fought the red plumes, their racism wasn't even a factor, DM just played them like assholes so we killed them because they were jerks. No one really gave a fuck if little Timmy the orphan drow got whipped.
>>
>>53731372
I know, that why ive been sayin le nazis this whole time anon
>>
>>53731417
Unless the dorf is there just for the money. One of those "I don't do it unless I get payed" characters.
Which would make some sense for a Dwarf.
>>
>>53731417
It wasnt a major goal, it was a one off session where we were supposed to hate these guys but I just wasn't feeling it
>>
>>53731455
It sounds more like he's playing with regular people and he's like "hey maybe these crazy fascist racists are actually the cool guys" to be edgy for no reason.
>>
>>53731445
I feel this dodges rather than answers my question, but...

>I think that the design goals of Star Wars and the design goals of 5E are fairly incompatible.

Eh, I disagree. Star Wars is most accurately a fantasy story rather than a sci-fi one...it just happens to be set in space. I don't, personally, view it as being any less compatible than Conan or Lord of the Rings or what have you.

>and Star Wars needs some systems and themes that aren't provided.

Excepting starships, which I will grant will be a major hurdle, what are you referring to?

>You are almost certainly going to be better off if you drop the idea and use another system

I'm not touching Force & Destiny with a 10 foot pole, I can tell you that right now.
>>
>>53731475
If the rest of your party is doing things altruistically and you're in it for the money, just join a mercenary group. It makes no sense for someone motivated by money to be in that party.
>>
File: IMG_7505.jpg (5MB, 2000x2635px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7505.jpg
5MB, 2000x2635px
>>53726662
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/dragon/DRA12_barbersilverymoon_jbt.pdf
>>
>>53731482
No i live in a more left leaning are so its what the first anon said, but even the lesbian in the group knew I was just playing my character and while her character disliked it, she didn't care OOC
>>
>>53731482
>judging a guy like that without knowledge of his situation instead of focusing on what he asks
That's why you're assholes and the decent people tend not to come here for serious questions.
>>
>>53731482

No, that's exactly what it doesn't sound like. Anyone who gets real uppity over pretend racism against fictional races is clearly crazy and not a "regular person" in any sense.
>>
>>53731516
>what is roleplay
>what is idealism diversity
>join the hivemind
>conform

You disgust me, you're a relic of D&D 1e
>>
>>53731410
It sounds like this entire fiasco ain't worth your time and their time. You wanna play a certain character, one that will no doubt clash (and sounds like has already clashed) with the party. Even if you stick around, you're gonna be 'That Guy', even if you aren't.

If you /really/ want to play with this group, maybe make a character who'll fit in better with the party dynamic? Or find a reason for your current character to care.

>>53731435
Yeah, the guy getting OOC butthurt about it is stupid, but it sounds like a group of randos. When you play with a random group, you need to put your best foot IC and OOC forward. They don't know him on a personal level, so why should they give him the benefit of the doubt?
>>
File: 1485115401665.gif (1MB, 326x256px) Image search: [Google]
1485115401665.gif
1MB, 326x256px
>>53731412
>>
>>53731482
Or he just doesn't want to pick a fight with every kingdom that acts in a way he disagrees with.
>>
>>53731561

>Sanity

Sorry Anon, that's not allowed here.
>>
>>53731561
My dwarf does have the character trait from the soldier backgroud that ideals aren't worth going to war over
>>
>>53731555
I know most of the people except him fairly well at this point, i haven't done a darn thing to him in game or out while he has tried to cast tasha's hideos laughter on me twice
>>
>>53731602
Have you tried talking to this person?
Legitimately if they're new to RPG's they may not get the whole concept of "playing someone that you aren't"
>>
>>53731602
Okay, then talk to him about it like a grown ass responsible adult. Tell him that you're sensing hostility, and you want to bury the hatchet. You know, be the bigger person with a side order of calling him out on his shit?
>>
>>53731623
>Legitimately if they're new to RPG's they may not get the whole concept of "playing someone that you aren't"
I've seen self-proclaimed "GMs of 11 years" throw a tantrum because my character's a "bit of a grump" no later than last week.
>>
>>53731602
Axe him in the fucking face. He's a wizard pulling a fucking spell on you!
>>
File: Amazon.gif (139KB, 123x234px) Image search: [Google]
Amazon.gif
139KB, 123x234px
What would be the last century before going around with bows and crossbows is something anachronistic and made obsolete by guns?
>>
File: IMG_0299.jpg (96KB, 770x254px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0299.jpg
96KB, 770x254px
Is playing a character that falls into fetish territory okay?
What if it's subtle enough to avoid obvious magical realm and played straight?
>>
File: 1411257334517.jpg (87KB, 1179x678px) Image search: [Google]
1411257334517.jpg
87KB, 1179x678px
>>53731483
Ok. 5E, as a D&D game, has a lot of granularity around weapons. You have sword and axes and daggers and so on, and they all have slightly different rules. Part of the design goal of 5E was to make choosing between them and stacking feats and bonuses useful and interesting and fun without being bloated.

In Star Wars, you have guns. They do.. gun things. The plot almost never revolves around the exact range or damage of a blaster. They kill stormtroopers. They don't kill Vader. They're plot devices, not tools. It's almost the same with starships (which is why I didn't list them as a huge impediment).

In 5E, you have a clear sense of granular competence progression. Each time you level a bunch of things happen. And you level a lot.

In Star Wars, in the media at least, there's not the same sense of granular progression. There is a sense of character development, but 5E doesn't have systems for "finding out the bad guy is your dad" or "leading a rebellion" built into it.

Magic in 5E is based around powers and casting and timing. Magic in Star Wars is very, very nebulous and mystical. Despite how Star Wars video games work, the idea of "Force Powers" that you gain, level, and improve seems backwards to me. You can build a system for 5E that might do mystic stuff... but the system you build will work for any game. It's not 5E dependent.

>Conan or Lord of the Rings

I completely agree that Star Wars is not a sci-fi story. It's space opera. Also, I don't think 5th edition would be my go-to system for either Conan or LOTR. Conan maybe, if I had to, but a LOTR-type story needs different tools.

>I'm not touching Force & Destiny with a 10 foot pole, I can tell you that right now.

Oh, sure, that's fine. Have you seen any of the WEG D6 Star Wars stuff? Failing that, what do you think of rules-light games like Fate?
>>
>>53731623
Hes playing an old nutty necromancer that i think is his first character, I'm going to next session but when he insulted my dwarf by saying that his ancesters are ashamed of him (how would he know that hes a human necromancer) it Struck me that he really doesn't know what he's doing
>>53731639
I'm planning to, because that should be the right thing to do
>>53731661
I'm not a "that guy" I dont care what you've read in the thread based off assumptions
>>
>>53731698
>Star Wars is not a sci-fi story. It's space opera
Out of curiosity, could you tell me the difference?
>>
>>53731685
17th or 18th?
>>
>>53731712
>insulting a Dwarf's ancestors
That's an axin'
>>
>>53731747
He really does deserve it but I'm probably going to fuck with him in more subtle ways if any
>>
>>53731691
Listen. People have fetishes. That's just, like, a fact. Many of my characters have "things". But I never roleplay that, because, WHY tell others that he actually gets off when he strangles people to death? All they know is that he likes to go a bit out of his way to be able to execute them by suffocation. And he likes fire. A bit too much.

If that's somehow relevant to his story, backstory, temperament, choices, roleplay. I'm playing a closet lesbo right now, and I plan to leave clues of this, because being gay is why she left home for adventuring (no there's nothing about oppression she just didn't think she could pretend forever), and fuck, she's out for some ass if she can.

But the real question is: are you a turboautist or are your players turboautists.
>>
>>53731721
The themes are less ponderous & it's less about humanity v aliens/technology, and more about the journey, good v evil.

Sci fi asks where do come from/where are we going and deals with ethics, while space opera is about morality, and ultimately human stories.
>>
>>53730870
Tiefling aside this guy is up to some shit... fucking rougues
>>
>>53731765
Not a character with a fetish, a character that IS the fetish.
>>
>>53731791
Like when guys play female PCs with big boobs?
>>
>>53731810
Yes,
>>
So I'm playing a Moon Druid and I'm at level 4, so it's time for ASIs/feats and I can't decide what I should go with.
Before ASIs, my stats are as follows:
15 Str
15 Dex
15 Con
9 Int
17 Wis
14 Cha

I'm mostly concerned with Dex, Con, and Wis, the other three don't really matter. Which of these three options would be the best?
-Grab Resilient for 16 Con and proficiency in Con saves
-Increase Dex and Wis, save Resilient for later
-Increase Con and Wis, don't get Resilient
>>
>>53731810
Yes. Playing a /fit/ female Orc barbarian, or a female cleric with big boobs that treats other PC's like her children.
Or even a female ranger with a wolf companion.
>>
>>53731453
Using a gun accurately actually requires a lot more nuance than you'd think it does. Anyone can use a gun yeah, but if you don't know how to, then you aren't going to hit a human sized target at anything farther than 10 yards
>>
>>53731698
I'm not generally a fan of rules-light games. Which is weird because I tend to run fast and loose with the rules of the games I do play (WoD and d20 in various flavors). Just something about the sparsity of actual rules gets to me, I guess.

I've never played the WEG Star Wars stuff, but I have played both versions of the d20 Star Wars. I personally think that Saga Edition came pretty close to the "ideal", though it fell short in a few areas.

>There is a sense of character development, but 5E doesn't have systems for "finding out the bad guy is your dad" or "leading a rebellion" built into it.

If you don't mind me saying, I think what you're describing is somewhat more the realm of good DM storytelling, rather than something that necessarily needs to be represented by the mechanics of the game.

(You're right that blasters don't kill Vader, for example, but Vader is just one Force user, and one with plot armor to boot. Plenty of nameless* Jedi die to blaster fire)

Still, I do appreciate the time you put into your post, so let's come at my original problem for a different angle: stepping back from Star Wars specifically for a moment, if you were doing D&D IN SPAAAAACE, along the lines of what Paizo's doing with Starfinder, would you personally just group various Medieval/Renaissance weapons into a "basic" category and the more sci-fi weapons into an "advanced" category?

---
*In the context of just the movies, at least. "Luke, did I ever tell you about the Jedi Aayla Secura? She never put out. But she was a good friend.
>>
>>53731841
>tfw played with a female ranger with a wolf companion
>I was a druid so at higher levels I awakened the wolf
oh the tales it will tell
>>
>>53731849
A part of the reason why guns became so popular even when they were relatively shitty is because it's much easier to train someone how to shoot than sword fight.
>>
>>53731298
Just use one of the THREE good star wars systems that are actually designed for star wars.

You'd probably like FFG. (Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny)
>>
>>53731883
But imagine how much cooler it would be if instead of school shootings, there were school swordings and gangs battled it out on the streets with sabers instead of glocks
>>
>>53731883
For sure. If anything, a rifle should be a "simple" weapon, and a pistol should be "advanced."
>>
>>53731721
To be science fiction, you have to at least somewhat focus on technology and how it changes the world or affects the character(s). Removing the technology from the script should render it meaningless.

In Star Wars, technology is essentially unimportant. You could take the script for Star Wars, replace every tech term with an equivalent fantasy one ("Your father's longsword. This it the weapon of a paladin. Not as clumsy or as random as a crossbow...an elegant weapon for a more civilized age"), replace the Death Star with a giant dragon or something, and still have a complete story.

In fact you'd have Eragon, but let's not think about Eragon.
>>
>>53731888
>You'd probably like FFG. (Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny)

For many and varied reasons, I would not, not the least of which because of the dice mechanics. Now I'm all for something a bit more complex than binary success or failure, but FFG goes way, way, WAY too far.

After you’ve rolled the dice, you have:

(1) Success vs. Failure (these cancel, multiples successes accumulate but failures don’t)

(2) Advantage vs. Threat (these cancel, multiples of both accumulate)

(3) Triumph vs. Despair (these don’t cancel)

Ignoring quantitative differences, these give you 18 qualitative results:

Success
Failure
Success-Advantage
Success-Advantage-Triumph
Success-Advantage-Despair
Success-Advantage-Triumph-Despair
Success-Threat
Success-Threat-Triumph
Success-Threat-Despair
Success-Threat-Triumph-Despair
Failure-Advantage
Failure-Advantage-Triumph
Failure-Advantage-Despair
Failure-Advantage-Triumph-Despair
Failure-Threat
Failure-Threat-Triumph
Failure-Threat-Despair
Failure-Threat-Triumph-Despair

This system literally generates outcomes like, “Moderate success with something vaguely good, but also something vaguely better than vaguely good, but also something seriously bad in a vague way.”
>>
>>53731922
>using holy magic to guide an arrow up the giant dragon's asshole
I'd watch it
>>
>>53731922
Man, I forgot about Eragon. I actually read all the books when I was younger
>>
>>53731819
Then you're a turboautist.
>>
>>53731900
>Still massacre
>"cooler"
Uhm
>>
Where can I find the rules for Favored Soul?
>>
>>53731922
i bet you could replace all the robots in asimov's books with golems or something and the stories would still work.

people take these genre labels too seriously, they're just to keep things organized in book stores.
>>
>>53731964
I always felt it would do better without the triumph / dispair angle.
>>
Alright /5e/, I was taking with my DnD group about possible ideas the other day. And I was talking about doing something like Neon Genesis Evangelion. Not all the mystical bullshit just fighting a series of damn near impossible bosses that require outside the box thinking, strategy, and a little luck. Any idea how to make such a campaign work? Presently I have no idea how you could craft encounters with them.
>>
>CON affects no skills
Any reason why I should take it instead of CHA or DEX?
>>
>>53731685
17th. By the year 1700 everyone was using muskets and cannon. You could get away with crossbows through the 1600's. Bows probably fade out before that.
>>
>>53732389
HP and concentration saves are huge parts of the game.
>>
>>53732375
>campaign
That's the hard part.

That said
>set up a cool scene (like a floating island)
>design a cool boss with plenty of unique actions (like summoning spirit wyrms)

I guess to turn it into a campaign, you could have some kind of main hub city where the players can do social encounters / research on their next target.
>>
>>53732400
And, what about picking between STR and DEX? Which is best, especially for someone (melee) that can't handle martial weapons?
>>
>>53732259
>i bet you could replace all the robots in asimov's books with golems or something and the stories would still work.

Maybe, but then you'd essentially have the reverse of Star Wars: a science fiction story that just happens to have magic in it.

Sci-fi is about science's impact on a character and/or society. Fantasy and, in particular, high fantasy, tend to be more focused on a character or characters' impact on society and their own personal journey. Or in other words, in sci-fi the characters are often relatively superfluous to the setting, being more of a vehicle through which we explore said setting, whereas in fantasy the setting is usually superfluous to the characters, with the character's personal journey being the most important aspect.

There is ample room for overlap, of course. Sci-fi and fantasy as distinct genres from one another is actually a staggeringly recent development that only seriously began in the 60s.
>>
File: tumblr_n85pcsYbIn1rhswz4o1_1280.png (305KB, 1000x950px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n85pcsYbIn1rhswz4o1_1280.png
305KB, 1000x950px
I need ideas for "ancient evil creatures" that would be "awakened by and drawn to large concentrations of [pic related]".

so far I have kythons out of the old Book of Vile Darkness

but what else might be attracted to it?
NO ORDINARY DEMONS

3 man party low and medium character levels...
>>
>>53732447
Strength gives you access to more weapon options, but Dex is a better save and is used in more skills.
>>
>>53732398

>Bows probably fade out before that.

15th century, 16th century?
>>
>>53732551
So... You'd say DEX is better
>>
>>53732557
My guess is the 15th century but I have no formal education on early to mid renaissance history. But with the advent of the crossbow and musket the need for archers fell dramatically as it is easier to build and train on those weapons.
>>
Let's say I bind a pointy weapon (short sword, spear, etc.) to an immovable rod, activate it, and place it in the path of a charging creature. How would I calculate the attack roll?
>>
>>53732569
It's mechanically better in a lot of ways but way less cool because great weapons are cooler than rapiers.
>>
>>53732586
In Britain the longbow hung on until the 17th century, but was most definitely on the losing side of the civil war. After that even we abandoned it.
>>
File: Warlock Fixes.pdf (658KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock Fixes.pdf
658KB, 1x1px
So, I came up with this.

Anyone see any major issues with it?

The idea was to offer an alternative to just the extra attack feature. It's weaker than EB, it's situationally weaker than Booming/Greeflame Blade (these would be better for single attackers), but allows the Warlock its own flavour, without adding much power.

Adding a fighting style is a nice little way to buff Bladelocks without going into some convoluted changes.
>>
>>53732724
Given that clerics have to wait until 8th level when they start dealing "free" bonus damage to melee attacks, eldritch assault might be unbalanced as a cantrip (but I could be wrong...I'm just giving my initial impression).
>>
>>53732682
Either int save to avoid completely or dex save to reduce damage by half, damage is whatever the heck you feel like at the time unless the player intends to use this a lot in which case I'd settle for still somewhat arbitrary depending on monster size / speed / etc.

Realistically it's probably actually weaker than a spear attack and the spear or whatever could still break.
But at a very simple level you could just say 'You make a weapon attack against the creature during its movement and if it hits the monster's speed drops to 0 for that turn'
>>
What does 5e bring to the table that other systems don't? And what does it do poorly?
>>
>>53732458
i think you're describing how you think these words should be used, not the way they are actually used, or even the way academics use them.
>>
>>53732569
Athletics is an amazing skill though, shoving and grappling is incredibly powerful in combat
>>
>>53731556
Post the follow-up GIF where he has a heart attack.
>>
>>53732715
I can only handle light weapons. So I guess STR makes no sense for me.

>>53732813
>be me
>be mystic
> : (
>>
>>53732447
Depends.

Barbarian: Strength
Barbarogue: Either
Fighter: Dexterity unless you want sentinel+other feats instead of CBE+SS, in which case Strength. You could make a case for strength on a shield master for better grapples.
Ranger: Dexterity
Paladin: Strength or if you obtain shillelagh somehow, Charisma
Monk: Dexterity
Pretty much everyone else: Dexterity

However, if your DM is very strict about carrying capacities sometimes strength might be a bit better.
>>
>>53732800
OK, thanks. I don't expect it to come up much; I'm running a one-shot tonight and I'm giving my players an immovable rod early on just to see what the hell they do with it. I've never DM'd before and want to be as prepared as I can be.
>>
>>53732447
>Two handed weapon
Str, also the most damage you will do in melee
>Ranged damage dealer
Dex
>Sword and board
Either works. Dex is better because it's a better saving throw and you gain initiative. Str is better because you get an extra AC
>Two weapon fighting
Same as sword and board
>>
What should be my goal as a melee stone sorcerer in combat. Concentrate on a spell then spam melee cantrips, using defensive and AoE spells when needed?
>>
>>53732852
Generally with improvised actions and such like that just do what seems reasonable yet also rewards creativity if used in the right situation.

>>53732899
Twin cast haste and then either stay at a distance and blast with ranged cantrips if the enemy is melee-dangerous or melee cantrips if the enemy is too close to get away from or not more dangerous in melee, I guess?
>>
>>53732811
When most people use "sci-fi" and "fantasy", they refer to the aesthetic rather than the themes or genres. If it has dragons, it's fantasy. If it has starships, it's sci-fi. I don't mind this definition at all, personally.

BUT, a quick Google check of the definition of sci-fi yields:
>fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.

Star Wars doesn't really meet that qualification. It's fiction, but it's not based on imaginative future scientific or technological advances and major societal or environmental changes. The technology is superfluous to the setting: replace the Death Star with a giant dragon and the story is unchanged. Likewise, the societal effects of the Rebellion or whatnot are the not the "base" of Star Wars. The basis of Episodes IV to VI is Luke's journey to becoming a Jedi and his redemption of his father Anakin. That in the process of perusing this journey he happens to play a role in the defeat of the Empire is incidental to the overall story.

Episodes I - III, likewise, are about Anakin's fall to the Dark Side. The changes that occur to Galactic society in the process of this fall, are incidental and unimportant to his overall character arc (which, after all, centered on his love of Padmé and his desire to become a Jedi Master, not the vagaries of the Separatists).
>>
File: 1496588190919.png (569KB, 565x668px) Image search: [Google]
1496588190919.png
569KB, 565x668px
What would be the best way to play a Spellsword in 5e? Basically a heavily-armored spellcaster who can swing a sword around. I'm not sure if Eldritch Knight would be exactly what I'm looking for.
>>
>>53732864
So I guess if all I have is a one-handed light weapon and nothing in my off-hand, then I'm going DEX.
>>
>>53733023
It's a work of art. It just rhymes
>>
>>53733082
/tv/? In *my* /tg/?
>>
File: received_850233288450584.png (2MB, 1456x816px) Image search: [Google]
received_850233288450584.png
2MB, 1456x816px
>>53733096
Is it possible to learn these negotiations?
>>
>>53732798
There's a bit of a difference, as that's legitimately free, and this is part of a cantrip.

It's a bit of extra damage, similar to the other melee cantrips. I was wondering if it should maybe start at 1d4 though.

The thing is, it's directly worse than GFB or booming blade for non-warlocks at 5, and about the same power level for warlocks.
>>
>>53733052
Paladin.

It's that, Eldritch Knight, or take one level of fighter, and the rest in Valor Bard.
>>
>>53733259
Is there even an Arcane Paladin?
>>
How's Death House?
>>
>>53733283
You didn't specify arcane.

In that case, you're looking at fighter 1 then bard.
>>
>>53733352
Valor or College of Swords?
>>
File: ronnie-jensen-atat-night-patrol.jpg (157KB, 1920x875px) Image search: [Google]
ronnie-jensen-atat-night-patrol.jpg
157KB, 1920x875px
>>53731873
>If you don't mind me saying, I think what you're describing is somewhat more the realm of good DM storytelling, rather than something that necessarily needs to be represented by the mechanics of the game.

Correct. A good GM can tell a good story in any system. However, choosing to tell a Star Wars story using 5E gives you fewer tools that help, and more tools that harm, your goal.

I mean, I /could/ hack Fate to run a gritty and deadly OSR game.. but I'd have to a lot of work for minimal gain.
>>
>>53728696
>Well, the PHB says that people close their windows and bar their doors when tieflings pass by and that they're typically only accepted in minority populations. I also remember reading somewhere that people trust half-orcs more than Tieflings.

>letting the rules framework determine the setting

no
>>
File: alexander-forssberg-city1.jpg (157KB, 710x1050px) Image search: [Google]
alexander-forssberg-city1.jpg
157KB, 710x1050px
I wrote a system-less way of running a Rhythm Dungeon (like crypt of the necrodancer). Maybe you 5E guys will get some use out of it.

>>53730968
>>
>>53733363
I'd go with valor
>>
>>53728984
And you think the fucking peasants assume people with horns and tails are descended from guardinals? You think they even know what a fucking guardinal IS?
>>
>>53734027
Well of course because that's what suits his argument
>>
>>53733170

I saw the dude on the left kick major ass as King Lear. Best Shakespeare production I've ever seen. Fucking shame that *this* is what he'll be famous for.
>>
>GM runs 30 min/hour long session once a week
Hold me, I just want to play a game god dammit.
>>
>>53726607
You're also free to interpret stats.

Someone with low Int may be brimming with raw logic and just be illiterate.

Likewise, someone with high charisma may not be conscious of whether they are attractive or not.
>>
>>53734276
What can you even get done in that time?
>>
>>53731298
To be fair, there's several good systems for this (Star Wars d20, Star Wars Saga, and FFG). Two of those are also made by WotC (d20 being based on 3.5, Saga as part of their transition to 4E). You can look to them for how to handle weapon groups, as they did it quite well. You have your Simple weapons like clubs, knives etc. There was a group for Vibro weapons, Blaster Pistols, Blaster Rifles, etc. Lightsabers were an Exotic Weapon Proficiency basically meaning if it wasn't given to you by your class, you had to burn a feat for it.
>>
>>53734426
Recap last week.
>>
File: dog.jpg (89KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
89KB, 500x367px
I wanna homebrew a playable dog, and I drafted this up real quick.
Does this seem balanced? Any other ideas?

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity increases by 2 and your Charisma increases by 1. Your Intelligence decreases by 1.
Age. Dogs can live anywhere from 10-20 years, sometimes longer.
Alignment. Dogs are usually neutral, but can range from fiercely loyal and lawful to unpredicatble and chaotic.
Size. Dogs can vary wildly in size but are considered medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Bite. Instead of an unarmed attack, you bite. +dex bonus to attack, 1d4+dex piercing damage.
Reflex. Upon being attacked with a melee attack, you can attempt to bite the enemy.
Keen Senses. You get advantage for perception rolls that use smelling or hearing.
Bad Eyesight. You get disadvantage for perception rolls that use sight.
>>
>>53734276
>30 minutes
I don't believe this
>>
>>53734555
kobold
>>
>>53734555
Remove the dex binus and the bite, add varying subraces with different bonus and bite damage
>>
>>53734555
>playable dog
>somehow as effective as a full humanoid
>generic alignment can be anything statement
I'd go on but I already hate it so much that I need to find a new thread.
>>
>>53728376
I'd try this but I hate the cards that give or take experience. I absolutely hate the idea of parties having characters of varying levels. Is there like a homebrew improved Deck?
>>
File: 04. Equipment.pdf (547KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
04. Equipment.pdf
547KB, 1x1px
>>53734431
As I've outlined, I would not call FFG good. I've heard good things about the old WEG version, though, and I possess both d20 versions.

I've settled on Basic and Advanced weapons, but some Advanced weapons have sub-groups: vribo-weapons (axe, blade, glaive, knife, sword), pistols (heavy, hold-out, light, slugthrower), rifles (carbine, repeating, slugthrower, sniper, standard), and lightsabers (double, pike, short, standard).

Proficiency by class will go like this:

- Adept: Basic weapons, force pike, stun baton
- Fringer: Basic weapons, pistols, rifles, grenade launcher
- Noble: Basic weapons, pistols, vibro-weapons, stun baton
- Scoundrel: Basic weapons, pistols, vibro-weapons, stun baton
- Soldier: All weapons

Technically speaking this means only the Soldier is proficient with lightsabers by default, however there will be a Jedi background and a Sith background which each grant lightsaber proficiencies. Also each class is getting bonus proficiencies as they level up which could let them pick up lightsaber (or other, or even non-weapon) proficiency.

My rough draft of the weapons so far, if anyone's interested.
>>
>>53734472
Your DM and group can't possibly that slow.
>>
>>53734765
By the way, having settled on those five as the classes, the main characters of various Star Wars stories would be (at 1st level, they may have multiclassed later):

- Adept: Qui-gon, Obi-wan, Chirrut
- Fringer: Anakin, Luke, Chewbacca, Rey
- Noble: Padmé, C-3PO, Leia
- Scoundrel: R2-D2, Han, Lando, BB-8, Jyn, Cassian
- Soldier: Finn, Poe, K2-SO, Baze, Bodhi
>>
>>53734703

Please do. If you're going to be that salty we don't need you here.
>>
File: 1444420558099.gif (30KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
1444420558099.gif
30KB, 600x512px
What are the best warlock tome cantrips?

I was thinking guidance is best, then maybe mending, and for the last maybe shape water?
>>
>"You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls you make with this magic weapon. If it hits an object, the hit is automatically a critical hit, and it can deal bludgeoning or slashing damage to the object (your choice). Further, damage from nonmagical sources can’t harm the weapon."

What would be the roll to hit weapons and such with this? Sunless Citadel points out that Sir Braford's strategy is to strike at weapons people are carrying and try to break his enemy's equipment. What would the roll be?
>>
>>53734027

No, my point is that Tieflings don't have a common enough look for people to say someone is or is not a Tiefling and even demons don't have a common enough look to make it easy for someone to go 'This trait comes from demons'
>>
>>53735390
>this guy doesn't look 100% like a human
>he's a witch, burn him
>>
Seems pretty late to ask that so I'm likely gonna come back tomorrow but, anyone here on EU time and wanna join our group?
>>
I asked last night and only got like one response, so I'll ask again.

I'm DMing Curse of Strahd and I want Victor, the son of the burgomaster of Vallaki to accidentally summon a demon while experimenting with his teleportation circle. Said demon will then indoctrinate Piccolo, Rictavio's pet monkey (whom my players have grown extremely attached to) as well as a few other people.

What kind of demon would be a good fit? Especially considering 4 players all around level 6, and they're probably gonna try to fight it. I want the demon to corrupt through greed, as the players gave the monkey several gold coins, opening his mind up to greed.
>>
>>53734980
Shieghlegh
Guidence
Spare the dying
>>
>>53735523
A glabrezu.
>>
>>53735523
That scary thing with cymbals.
>>
>>53735406

That's about as close as you can tell with a Teifling. I mean, the old planescape table could get you shit that wouldn't immediately think 'Demon'.

74-75: Extremely greasy skin
16-20: Rotting odor surrounds body
92: Holy water inflicts 1d6 damage
93: Exposure to direct sunlight inflicts 1 point of damage per round

Congrats, your teifling is the decendent of N'eckb'eard, dweller of basements.

13–14: Pointed ears
27-28: Green hair
85: Green-tinted skin
86-90: Odd skin composition results in base AC of 1d6+3

Demon...or Dryad?

Both of these examples have the maximum number of rolls of the table (Outside of 'Roll again twice' stuff). A tiefling could have all of one of those. So a Tiefling could just have Pointed Ears.
>>
>>53735417
What level are you guys and what day do you play? Also any house rules?
>>
Thoughts?
>>
>>53735727
>A tiefling could have all of one of those. So a Tiefling could just have Pointed Ears.

It's an elf. Kill it.
>>
>>53735761
Is its name Willy?
>>
>>53735731
Level 1, just formed. We intend to play next Tuesday. We have an American with us because she can play in the early day and adapt. No particular house rules so far except that I was allowed to play Mystic.

Setting is homebrew and rules what you can't take but GM is pretty flexible and there seems to be most of the regular options, including "monster races".
>>
>>53735824
Alright I'm interested, I'm actually in Australia but my schedule is completely flexible for all hours.. I imagine it's a Roll20 game? Got a link to it or just want me to give you my account name?
>>
>>53735857
Use this Discord link and I'll get you from here.

https://discord.gg/TBnyE
>>
>>53735857
>>53735824
>>53735899
Fuck sorry, I just remembered I'm DMing a game at that time the week after next week.

Sorry to waste your time man.
>>
>>53735948
Too bad. See you around.
>>
What are some good cantrips to take as an EK? I'm thinking lightning lure and booming blade?
>>
File: 1468858001257.png (100KB, 469x281px) Image search: [Google]
1468858001257.png
100KB, 469x281px
>>53736020
>taking EK
>ever
>>
>>53735727
I'd say use the Tiefling options from SCAG.

You could be lucky and just end up with fangs and no shadow/reflection and get mistaken for a vampire.
>>
>>53736065
I'd rather be known to be a Tiefling than mistaken for a Vampire though
>>
>>53736020
Greenflame Blade is probably better. If you're going to pick up Warcaster then take Booming Blade though.

You only need weapon cantrip and then pick up some utility for your other ones. Your spells should pretty much all be shit that doesn't care about INT as well.
>>
>>53736042
It's not a bad archetype, having looked at it.
>>
Should I homebrew Cursebringer to NOT be a Greatsword?

It seems to completely contradict everything else about Hexblade.
>>
>>53736118
People should not even touch that class until we see the new version they have in the works.

Apparently now Cursebringer's part of the pact itself so I really hope you can chose what type of weapon you want it to be.
>>
>>53736097
Thanks bro, was planning on not really upping my Int so felt greenflame blade wasn't that ideal because it keys off the Int modifier, but will look further into it.

And yeah, definitely. What utility spells might be good? I know shield, absorb elements and expeditious retreat for 1st level spells.
>>
>>53736118
Cursebringer is there to incentivize a STR build. If you don't take the invocation, you can instead go for a DEX one-handed build. It's basically there to give you options and reward you for taking the suboptimal one.

Funnily enough, you can make CHA your dumpstat if you take the invocation.
>>
>>53736212
>you can instead go for a DEX one-handed build
I think you mean a pure CHA build for Hexblade.

So your options are Cursebringer smite machine and buff spells who probably dumped Charisma, or Sword and Board pure Charisma who uses his spellslots for actual casting.
>>
>>53736243
Yeah, I meant as a second stat, my bad. Like, max CHA/DEX/CON/WIS.
>>
File: 1488157167647.jpg (135KB, 552x364px) Image search: [Google]
1488157167647.jpg
135KB, 552x364px
>be warlock
>wield two swords in battle
>get pact of the blade
>can't have both weapons be a pact weapon
>still have to carry one sword around so I can summon the other
>also can't do it with a bow
>or a shield
>okay, I'll just only have one pact weapon as a dual wielder
>takes an action to bring your pact weapon out
>because you're a straight warlock you only gain proficiency with your pact weapon
>meaning even though you have two swords you only have proficiency with one
>you embarrassingly twirl the other sword around like an amateur
>there is literally no difference between the pact sword and the normal sword
>oh well
>at least you can attack twice
>by spending an invocation at level 5
>can't get a fighting style without multiclassing
>bladelocks are MAD so it's unlikely that you'll be able to get a feat
>no medium armor or heavy armor proficiency even as an invocation
I don't think I've ever seen a worse subclass.
>>
>>53736203
You have a lot of options with your non-abjuration/evocation level 1 spell (and 2, level 3 is always going to be haste). If you want to make it even harder to decide, consider that any level 1 spell you pick up with magic initiate can be cast with your ek spell slots.

One of the autists at giantitp has written far too much about building an EK (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479532-Bellator-Arcana-The-Eldritch-Knight-s-guide) but you can just skip to the part about choosing spells.

Expeditious Retreat is one of the better options for level 1, and combos nicely with booming blade and the Mobile feat. Longstrider is a decent alternative if you have something you want to be doing with your bonus actions besides using dash.
>>
>>53736203
If you don't have a wizard of chain warlock in the party, Find Familiar is definitely something to look at. Great for scouting and it's cool to have a pet. Feather Fall will save your life if you need it. Then there's Fog Cloud, Longstrider, Silent Image, Unseen Servant.
>>
>>53736466
Good thing pact of the blade isn't a subclass.
>>
>>53736650
pact boon *
>>
So how do I cavalier?
>>
>>53736680
take fighter subclass: Cavalier
>>
>>53736680
>>53736711
take fighter: not Cavalier
>>
Does anyone have a compiled UA?
>>
>>53736725
>take fighter: not Cavalier
that's also true.
>>
>>53736680
Paladin

Actual answer
>be fighter
>get horse
Good job now you're a cavalier.
>>
>>53736466
>revised Warlock bits aimed at fixing multiclass dip because of smite abuse
>removes invocation prerequisite specialization but re-balances a hefty amount of them
>now WotC will never provide glass cannon capability since they might overtune multiclass capabilities in preparation for an official print

Just
>>
>>53736711
>>53736725
Other then taking Cavalier and Mounted Combatant is there much else? Martial Adept seems like a really good pick for Cavalier to get more options.

>>53736738
Cavalier really should've gotten a mount that scales like a Beastmaster's companion.
>>
>>53736726
Check the mega download link in the OP -> source books -> rulebooks -> unearthed arcana

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/

then download what you're missing from here (if any)
>>
File: 1392681059422.png (1MB, 1019x881px) Image search: [Google]
1392681059422.png
1MB, 1019x881px
>finish durlag's tower part 1
>party says they want to continue
>DM says to make note that we did not take a long rest, and all of us except one have 2 levels of exhaustion (he has 1 though). Also blew all our big spells first because we figured that was the end and everything would reset on the next adventure
>Have this horrible feeling, look at part 2 in a short skim, not in depth but just gimme the jist of it

oh no, OH NO, we've made a horrible, terrible mistake, THIS PLACE IS BEYOND US. If we weren't starting half fucked up, maybe, but oh dear christ this is going to go off the rails I can just sense it.
My character is the one with the way to insta-get-outta-here item specific to this quest, so I'm going to play it straight regardless, until shit hits the fan hard and either multiple characters go down or things look dire as fuck

>also read that it's for level 13 party, we are all fresh 11s
why did they make the first tier 3 for level 13 when tier 3 starts at 11?
>>
>>53736680
Samurai is better than cavalier surprisingly
>>
Can someone please upload the Artificer and Mystic pdf's?

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

Maybe I'm blind but I don't think it's in the mega link.

WotC is trying to force me to make an account in order to download them.
>>
>>53736806
>durlag's tower
Where is that from? And how did your party acquire so many exhaustion levels? Mine finds a way to rest as soon as anyone gets exhausted.
>>
File: 1341830087792.jpg (907KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1341830087792.jpg
907KB, 2048x1536px
>>53736881
season 5 (storm king's thunder) adventure league
DDAL 05-8 and 05-9, in the mega trove
>>
All I want is College of Satire on the new book
>>
>>53736901
what game is that in the middle with the caskets? some rpg
>>
>Read forge cleric
Why do people want this? It seems pretty dull to me
>>
>>53737037
It's pretty cool, mostly the spellist. Also fills a role that no other Cleric domain really covers, compared to Grave being basically the same as Death or Life.
>>
>>53737032
Looks like it's spoofing DQ
>>
How many fights should I put in a dungeon?
>>
>>53736511
>>53736495
Thanks heaps bros, this is fantastically helpful advice. Will definitely consider taking the haste and find familiar spells.
Funnily enough, was thinking of looking at some guides and that one will be a good start.

Will also have a look at the other options you guys have suggested.
>>
>>53737076
Depends on enemies, length, # of rooms
>>
>>53737161

Got 6 level 4 PCs, I think I'm just gonna do a basic 5 room dungeon. I know I want the last fight to be against a refluffed Vampire (Should be a Deadly encounter), but other than that I'm lost.
>>
>>53737198
I would go with three fights and two skill challenges in a five room dungeon.

1. Locked gate, either pick the lock or break it down, breaking it down might alert more enemies, easy skill challenge.
2. Some rats maybe? Vamps can control rats, bats, and wolves and shit.
3. Some kind of annoying terrain issue while being harassed by giant bats
4. Oh shit, where's the vampire? It's a dead end, skill challenge to find a secret door or something
5. Vamp fight
>>
>>53737346

Well when I say refluffed, I mean he's an Unseelie Fey, so the fights will probably be fey-themed. The first order of business is getting into the region of the Faewild he controls.
>>
>>53737366
Replace the rats with some kind of minor fey, Satyrs maybe, and instead of bats you get annoyed by pixies while trying to cross a narrow bridge or something.
>>
>>53737404
Sounds good, thanks!
>>
>>53737198
>>53737346
I assume you mean a Vampire Spawn? Because a true Vampire would wipe the floor with 6 level 4s.
Keep in mind the game is balanced around 6-8 medium or hard encounters. Since you're doing deadly, you can use less. With only 3 or 4 fights, you probably want 2-3 hard and 1 deadly. You could use some undead guardians like ghouls or specters.
>>
>>53737366
Oh in that case consider using some of the fey from Volo's, like Quicklings or Meenlocks.
>>
>>53737455
The encounter builder I'm using says they can handle a vampire if it's by itself.
>>
If you let someone refluff their abilities, should you also enforce or allow logical consequences of the new fluff?

For instance one of your players wants to refluff the spell fly as sprouting wings. If you allow this, should you also allow NPCs to attempt to disable those wings with mundane items such as rope?
>>
>>53737533

Can't be right. That party should be hitting deadly encounters at 3000 xp. A single Vampire is 10,000xp.
>>
I'm planning to start a game of 5e with all new players, myself included. My friend is going to DM, as our previous DM fucked off before we even started. Other than the basic rules for players and DMs, is there anything else he needs to read or do to prepare for the first game?
>>
>>53737198
>>53737533
6 PCs versus one vampire are gonna slaughter it due to action economy. Consider having at least one other thing there.
>>
>>53737636
You're forgetting the XP adjustment for group size. Since the party has 4 members, and a single vampire is single, it's a 5000XP encounter. And given the fact that the CR guidelines assume your group is absolutely retarded, a 2000XP difference between the recommended and actual is well within reason, assuming your group is not absolutely fucking retarded.
>>
>>53737610
They're magical wings that are ethereal, non-physical representations. If he wants to be a not!angel, then fuck him and his stupid shit.
>>
>>53737700
6 members*
>>
>>53737610
Depending on what exactly you allowed, maybe.

If the wings sprouted were an ethereal/magical manifestation, then no, the rope would go through it much like trying to rope a fireball.

If you allowed them to be actual physical objects that he intends to utilize for other things (creating gusts, manipulating objects that wouldn't be appropriate for simple flavor because his hands are occupied, etc.), then yes, bind away.
>>
>>53737636
It's possible, likely to be a very tough fight but they have a fair chance of killing it.

Really if you want a boss fight it should be pretty deadly and "Deadly" in the DMG isn't actually that deadly.
>>
>>53737727
You are correct. My math was for 6 members, I just erroneously wrote down 4.

Also, with 6 people, at least half of whom are probably spell casters, yeah, the vamp is easy.

One successful hold person and it's done.
>>
>>53737757
We've got a land druid, a nature cleric, a ranger, a rogue, a paladin, and a hexblade lock. Not sure that they have hold person but they've been pretty effective in fights. I plan on having the vampire play keep away and use his summon ability as well as his charm.
>>
>>53737757
>One successful hold person and it's done.

What is legendary resistance.
>>
>>53737672
Keep in mind the CR system is for vanilla game only, that means no feats, no multiclassing, no UA options, low magic item availability and a party of 4 people of the same level.

Deviating from these means it takes practice and time to make encounters that are fun for both sides and to not be afraid and fudge the numbers in the players favor if he accidentally sets up an impossible fight or at least give the party an out.
>>
File: ENCS8fc.jpg (979KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ENCS8fc.jpg
979KB, 1024x768px
So I'm working on a campaign currently, and this is what I have so far. Gonna need three posts for this. These are the major powers and their goals, and quests for the players. This is only the main story, gonna design lots of side quests too for my world. Image is the map of the playable lands.

Azazel: The Devil ruler of Ashton. A powerful and ancient warrior, he has ruled over Ashton for only a few decades. His rule is brutal and he values power over all else; in Ashton, you do as you want and take what you want. Azazel believes that in a fully competitive society, the correct individuals will fall into place right where they belong, and everyone will be made stronger through the near constant conflict. Azazel is arrogant, and believes no one would dare defy his orders, which makes him lenient towards the party and their actions. He wants them to discover what is protecting Crownport, and then he wants them to destroy it. He also needs them to find the old Celestial’s temple and destroy it, along with any Celestials living there or other worshippers. After this, he needs the party to travel to the Neglected Isles and slay whatever is living there, which turns out to be an old, neutral Beholder named Baal. After completing these tasks, his demon armies will spread across the lands, and he will now want the players to go along with a demon legion to take over the Eastern Highlands. After this is done, the entirety of Ethos will be under Azazel’s control.

Judith: The queen of Crownport, she watches over her people and protects them by training up the militia and using divine magic. She claims that an artifact in the temple keeps the city safe from Azazel and his demons, but in reality, she is the one keeping them out. Judith is a Celestial warrior, and her deity placed her upon the throne in order to watch over the people and keep them relatively safe.
>>
>>53737780
You've got 3 rapid caster progression classes, all of which learn hold person (and if your party is smart, everyone has taken). There are some issues with saves. The vampire has a +7 wisdom saving throw, and your party at best has a 15 Spell Save DC (and likely less). So they have less than a 40% chance of successfully holding the vampire. If your noncasters (2 of which have spells) chip in, to help burn through legendary resistance, your party can probably expect to successfully hold the vampire by the 2nd or 3rd turn.

I would definitely warn your players organically that this is going to be a tough encounter, and include ways for them to prepare for it. But it isn't an unbeatable encounter, so long as they play smart.
>>
Most fun subclasses in your opinion?
>>
File: Baal.jpg (39KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
Baal.jpg
39KB, 564x564px
>>53737973
The previous queen was smited by the Celestials for blasphemy, and as an added punishment, the rest of the Celestials abandoned the city and are staying in a temple in the wilds, hidden from the citizens. Judith has decided it is time to bring the Celestials back, as the people are becoming desperate and losing hope in their current situation. She cannot leave the city, so she sends out the party to contact the Celestials in the temple. After bringing them back to Crownport, the party must assemble the Celestials into an army to attack Ashton and destroy him along with his demon army and all the citizens of Ashton. Their sins are too great, and the city must be cleansed. After this, the Celestials turn their attention to the Neglected Isles, and task the party with slaying the Beholder who calls it home. They fear that he will attempt to amass an army take back his place as the old ruler of Ethos, as he hates both Azazel and his demons and the Celestials. They send an Angel along with the party to aid them. After this, they decide that the Eastern Highlands must be purified, along with any other tribes worshipping a different deity on Ethos. Once the Eastern Highlands are taken over by the Celestials, the entire land of Ethos will be under their deity’s control.

Baal: The Beholder living in and on the Neglected Isles. Long ago, he “ruled” over the land of Ethos, a benevolent and isolated protector. He tried his best to keep Ethos free from the rule of others, and promoted cooperation between all the cities. Unfortunately, many disliked being ruled by a Beholder, and propaganda began spreading about how Baal was evil and planning on attacking Ethos and enslaving its population. Azazel and Judith quickly stepped into the conflict, and Baal was cast aside. Angered by the peoples’ actions, Baal abandoned them and cut off all contact with the mainland. He took some of his most trusted followers in, allowing them to live with him.
>>
>>53737985
Pact of the Chain warlock
Illusionist Wizard
Conjuration Wizard
Arcane Trickster
Wild Magic Sorcerer
Glamour Bard

in no particular order
>>
>>53737993
He destroys any ship that attempts to reach the Isles, as he does not want to risk being killed by the mainlanders. Many have forgotten him, as it has been decades since he left. Now, however, he has decided to forgive them and wants to cast Azazel and Judith from their thrones and give the power back to the people of Ethos. If the party accepts the quest to kill him by either Judith or Azazel, he will attempt to convince them to join him instead and restore balance to Ethos. His quests are about the same as the others, though he doesn’t want to conquer the Eastern Highlands. Instead, he wants to make peace with them. Eventually, he will send the party off on a ship to explore the rest of the world, if the campaign makes it that far.

Apparently google docs fucked the ending of my document, so I had to retype it quick.
>>
>>53737757
>>53737858
Vampires are undead, hold person doesn't even work.
>>
>>53738129
You're sort of right. Being undead has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that the vampire doesn't have the humanoid tag. And, I could have sworn the true form counted as a humanoid. My bad.
>>
>>53738349
>>
>>53738022
>he doesn't have a 100 page setting bible and a 5000x5000 map
apply yourself
>>
>>53726662
http://falsemachine.blogspot.com/2016/04/who-will-stop-worlds-most-evil-dog.html
>>
File: 1493959995932.jpg (1MB, 1920x1434px) Image search: [Google]
1493959995932.jpg
1MB, 1920x1434px
>>53726662
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/03/osr-learning-dungeon.html
>>
So is Dev pal 4 / BMfighter 6 / Lore bard 10 too stupid of a multiclass other than a level 20 build?
Any feats to look for if i want to sword and board? I was looking at HAM as my vhuman feat but was wondering about shieldmaster or magic intiate

Backstory for the char is that he was a cliche storybook char that was accidently brought to life.
Plan on really hamming it up with the rp.
>>
Can portent critical fail/hit?
Like, if you replace a roll with a 20 does it count as rolling a natural 20 for attacks/saving throws?
>>
>>53740044
It does not count as a natural 20 (meaning no crit effects). Its just worth the highest you can get on a roll, a 20.
>>
>>53740074
Ah, alright thanks for clarifying that.
>>
There's a Werebear in our party and I wish the DM would just fucking kill him already.
Thread posts: 375
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.