[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General - Dungeons Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 92

File: osrg.jpg (214KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
osrg.jpg
214KB, 1280x720px
Welcome to Old School Renaissance General!

>Links
Trove: http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
OSR Discord: https://discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-Browser Tools: http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Old Thread
>>53590848

>Thread QuestionS
Who are the chess hypermodernists1 of the OSR?
Favorite OSR system2 right now?
Do you have any original content? Post it!

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermodernism_(chess)
[2]2e is an option
>>
>>53645242
So this professor has loads of non-/pol/ psychology videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w
>>
File: Terrors & Wonders v0-3.pdf (693KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Terrors & Wonders v0-3.pdf
693KB, 1x1px
>>53665094
>Do you have any original content? Post it!
It's been forever since I posted this and even longer since I've worked on it. Kinda sorta OSRish using Skerpeles' meme definition of OSR.
>>
>>53665184
I will have to watch this later

But didn't this guy start a controversy?
>>
>>53665481
Yeah, it's been a long time since the last time you posted, I always gave you feedback of my opinion (I like what you'v done)
>>
File: MC - golem, vampire.pdf (325KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
MC - golem, vampire.pdf
325KB, 1x1px
>>53665525
Thank you for it. I really appreciated it.
>>
File: monster hirelings.png (251KB, 650x928px) Image search: [Google]
monster hirelings.png
251KB, 650x928px
>>53665484
>But didn't this guy start a controversy?
That was the initial topic in the podcast in the last thread.

In Canada if you call someone "he" and the say "I don't identify as male or female, use 'xer'" and you call them 'he' again, that's illegal hate speech.
Incidentally, while in Canada you can call people "cunt" or "nigger" and if they tell you to stop it's legal to keep calling them that. Go figure.

Peterson said, "I'll call you 'he' or 'she' at your preference, but I won't call you 'xer'. That's post-modernist drivel, quit devaluing society."
And a whole bunch of people (neo-Marxists, his university, etc. but not actual transgender people) got upset about that.

>I will have to watch this later
That's an actual lecture, so you should probably wait until you can watch it in one or two sittings.

If you want to half-listen in bits and pieces throughout some span of time, he did another podcast with Rogan.
It's a lot less /pol/ than that other podcast, but it's still got a fair deal of /pol/ → https://youtu.be/USg3NR76XpQ

>>53665094 (OP)
>Who are the chess hypermodernists1 of the OSR?
Fourth for Chris McDowell.
>>
File: xzy.png (1MB, 1300x1060px) Image search: [Google]
xzy.png
1MB, 1300x1060px
>>
>>53665813
the fuck does any of that have to do with osr?
>>
File: dd lotfp.pdf (7MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
dd lotfp.pdf
7MB, 1x1px
>>53665094
never tried this out but OP pic reminded me of it
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (64KB, 958x605px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
64KB, 958x605px
>>53665914
The psychology portions lend themselves to good narrative, and particularly good world-building.
And /osrg/ has no shortage of world-building discussions.
I suppose it also helps for running NPCs?

>>53665932
>
>>
How do you make mapping a relevant aspect of gameplay?
>>
>>53666754
Make wibbly-wobbly tunnel dungeons (>>53645032), but with lots of paths between floors.
Lots of separate entrances and exits, too.

If people want to backtrack (or exit) run it just like entering (describe the layout, have them say what they do).
If they don't keep up on their mapping (or their mapper takes their map with them into a spike pit), they'll have a bad time exiting.

>>53599460
>Exiting the dungeon should always be a bigger deal than entering,
>>
>>53665094

1) I don't know, that Chris guy. I don't really like Into The Odd tho. It's TOO minimalist for my tastes.

2) Beyond The Wall, anything by Sine Nomine, and ACKS jockey for first for me, depending on my tastes. I've considered smashing all of them together but I have yet to try and break down lifepaths.
>>
>>53666910
>Beyond The Wall,
That's 5 different humans, plus artists.
http://www.flatlandgames.com/btw/about/

>anything by Sine Nomine,
Kevin Crawford

>and ACKS
"Autarch"

>I've considered smashing all of them together but I have yet to try and break down lifepaths.
ACKS and most things by Kevin Crawford are just houseruled Bx and Crawford barely adds houserules.
ACKS is one of the most heavily houseruled "actually just houserules" retroclones, but that should be really easy.

Folding in Beyond the Wall really sounds tedious and easy to fuck up though.
You'd have to strip out most of the foundation before you could start building.
>>
>>53667135
I'm confused by these statistics, since the second question was about "favorite system right now," and that has nothing to do with people!

Yeah, most of what I want to salvage from Beyond The Wall is the lifepath system, since everything else can better be done elsewhere, and that lifepath creation system is such a pain in the ass to houserule that I'm probably better off stapling other things the other way.

My players really latched onto the lifepath system, though.
>>
>>53662646
>Alexander Macris

I wouldn't call Adventurer Conqueror King hypermodernist by any stretch; it's way more orthodox. It's a pretty traditional take on B/X - a cleaned up and rationalized take on B/X, but it's not something incredibly radical like Into the Odd or the like.
>>
just so yall know the MCC kickstarter is coming out in PDF form sometime this month.

woodley
I'll send pdfs to the troveguy the day it comes. :)
>>
>>53667427
you are a hero anon!
>>
What would be in a LotFP Appendix N?
>>
File: The Manse OSR.pdf (106KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Manse OSR.pdf
106KB, 1x1px
>Do you have original content

My homebrew. Feedback appreciated.
>>
>>53665094
what's a good resource for information on the Underdark in Oerth?
>>
File: LotFP Monk Draft.pdf (211KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
LotFP Monk Draft.pdf
211KB, 1x1px
>>53665094
New Revised LotFP Monk Class

Changes in Red
Please provide feedback
>>
>>53670009
This is mostly just going to be nitpicks about the text for now: I like that you clarified the duration of stuff with the stances, strikes and meditations, but IMO you should do that the way you had it in the first draft, with the type of technique listed in parentheses (Maybe "Sta", "M" and "S"?). The way you've got it now where it's part of the name of each technique makes the names ultra-clunky.

Also, do you mean that a monk may only activate one strike per *round*, or is it supposed to be turn like it says?

"Battle Aura Unless your inner Ki Stance" is probably supposed to be "Battle Aura Unleash Your Inner Ki Stance", right?

The new flurry's good, but it's funny that it only works well in LotFP. Anyone who wanted to port this monk to regular D&D would have to change that.
>>
>>53669576
D1-3
>>
>>53670328
Will do
>>
>>53669273
An easy one would be a good story by lovecraft
>>
>>53670375
Is the D series not in the treasure trove?
>>
So....I started playing AD&D last week. Holy shit does it suck. Sorry in advance for this but I just have to get it off my chest. I know this is OSR central but I like OSR games, I just hate AD&D. First off, the sheer number of dumb-ass crap modifiers I had to write down everywhere, were just annoying. THAC0 is absolute wank. It is completely backwards, I don't know how Gary Gygax continued to make editions of AD&D without figuring this out. It's like inventing a back-wheel-steering motorcycle over and over, and not realizing how fucking retarded it is. First off it means you need to know a monster's AC to attack it, completely ruining the mystery of the creature's stats. The rulebook is written in legalese and I had to re-read a section 2 to 3 times to understand what the fuck it was saying and make sure I wasn't confusing what I was reading with some other part. Also no one in my group has any fucking clue where the ranged weapon damages are written down in the Player's Handbook, which is actually well-organized even if the writing is abominable. Wizards are weak as hell, and now I understand caster supremacy in 3.5... the game was written by butthurt wizardfags who were sick of being second-rate citizens. Gary Gygax had a full hard-on for fighters because he wished he could be one instead of a fat-ass. Fuck him. Are there any games that have the good aspects of OSR (simplicity, rolling for hit points, low damage, lack of feats / skills, high-lethality, rolling for stats with stats not being the end-all-be-all of your character and more a soft determination of who they are) without these stupid fucking 1950s war game rules that are written in lawyer-speak?
>>
>>53670375
>>53671664
Found it under GDQ, cheers
>>
>>53671729
>THAC0
>Gary Gygax

Friend, THAC0 didn't come into the game until after Gygax left.
>>
>>53671729
>THAC0 is absolute wank
This is either bait or you never passed elementary school.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (15KB, 239x159px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
15KB, 239x159px
>>53671913 >>53671929
A friendly reminder not to take bait.
>>
>>53669474
It looks pretty much the same as last time, were there any changes you've made lately? I couldn't seen any.

Just for clarity I think it would help to explicitly talk about combat moves a bit more. Can enemies also do combat moves? Is it a roll to hit, then save or just save?

Time for a spell list.
>>
>>53669273
If you want things that do disruption of euromodernism by encounters with the unusual look into William Hope Hodegson's House On The Borderlands. Lovecraft sort of works, the time frame is a bit off, but that's easy to addapt, Mountains Of Madness and Rats In The Walls stick out to me specifically, but lots of options. I'm not too into Jeff Vandermeer or China Mieville but they're probably on there. Vandermeer more for being a big part of the new weird fiction movment (he's a better editor than author imo). Mervin Peak's gormenghast. Gwar and who/whatever goes with that for the dick aliens side. Probably Heart of Darkness by Conrad and Frankenstein by Shelly, all the gothic horror stuff.
>>
>>53669273
There is a what to read section in the referee guide.
>>
>>53671729
>>53671729
>THAC0
>bad
>>
Which version of Delving Deeper should I get? V2 and V3 have different names for the books.
>>
>>53672874

children don't know how to do subtraction anymore, anon-kun
>>
>>53672579
>were there any changes
>I couldn't seen any.
c >>53671994
>>
File: Scheme.pdf (12KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scheme.pdf
12KB, 1x1px
Listening to the Joe Rogan interviews with Jordan Peterson. Good, Jungian stuff. In #958 he goes into the snake-slayer hero myth, relevant /tg/ stuff.
>>
>>53673138
And it's because MODERN GAMES HAVE BETRAYED THEIR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE.

1E AD&D in all school classrooms now
>>
File: fyr.jpg (108KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fyr.jpg
108KB, 400x400px
>>53673138
>children don't know how to do subtraction anymore, anon-kun
It's not even necessary.

You add your roll and target's AC, if the sum is 20 or more - you hit.

No subtractions necessary.
>>
Is Veins of the Earth somewhere in the OSR trove?
>>
>>53674977
Eventually, it will be in [03_OSR Games ⇒ Lamentations of the Flame Princess ⇒ Adventures and supplements ⇒ 3rd Party ⇒ Veins of the Earth.pdf], but for now, got to [__Inbox ⇒ Veins of the Earth - Bookmarked.pdf]
>>
has anyone gotten Swords of Kos and posted it yet?
>>
>>53671729
>Feeling the need to convey your opinion to a group of people you know for a fact disagree and will not be convinced by your barely-researched argument.
Why? Why do you think anyone here cares about some guy who never played AD&D until three (four?) decades after it came out, and doesn't like it. It's not like anybody is forcing you to play a system that was probably already obsolete before you were born. There's about 30 RPG threads going on this board at any given time - why are you in the OSR thread if you don't like old school stuff?
>>
File: Maze Rats v2.0.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Maze Rats v2.0.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>53662239
>>53662679
>>53662876
>>53665813
What do you think of Maze Rats?

The Trove versions are a bit out of date,
but McDowell steps through it here:
https://youtu.be/6KcQ6cH3MQo
>>
Alright, /osrg/, here's a question: as we all know the OD&D digests got pulled from Lulu at the end of last year; some fag on the odd74 forums found them, posted them and then got them pulled (sauce before anyone demands it: http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/12118/chainmail-back-print). My question is, are there new ones available? In case anyone cares, I own the legal Chainmail and OD&D PDFs, I got copies while they were available and just want to get a few more for my own use, those digests were really nicely done, and I'd rather not have to fuck around with formatting stuff properly for Lulu, which is something I don't know dick about.
>>
>>53678763
Check the archive. I found the link in a couple of minutes and so can you!
>>
>>53678878
Uh, not be a twat when you're being helpful, but did you try the link and did it go to an active product? The one I got from these threads before was kill, as I said.
>>
>>53679023
Yep. Search for lulu.com, link's in a spoiler tag.

Sorry for being overly cautious but it's not worth the risk if people are doing takedowns.
>>
>>53679111
>Sorry for being overly cautious
Naw, that's great. I totally agree, actually I debated for a while whether I should even ask for it for that reason. Ultimately I realized there woudl be no use for a private link nobody could reach to use at all, though.
>>
>>53678763
>>53678878
>>53679023
>>53679111
>>53679300
This is so damn weird. I searched the archive, found a link (it wasn't in a spoiler tag, though), the link worked... and it's literally the one I had bookmarked that I swear was kill for months. I checked it yesterday! My bookmark works now! Fucked up. Still, not complaining. If anyone else wants to use this, the code LULU15 is 15% off.
>>
a cheeky late night thought; your charisma modifier dictates the number of henchmen you can bring with you as a lvl 1 character. The henchmen are potential one-ups; if there are no henchmen in the group you have to wait out the dungeon crawl after you've died. New characters can be rolled when back in civilization.
>>
>>53680002
>you have to wait out the dungeon crawl after you've died.
Bob's cousin Rob is just around the corner.
>>
>>53680002
Isn't this how most people do it?

Bill the Torchbearer is a level 0 human, but then the wizard dies and BAM! now he's a level 1 rogue.
>>
>>53680036
It's a matter of style and preference, I think the cool down adds a nice touch. Gives charisma and henchmen incentives to a new player.
>>
>>53680051
I think a nice way to do the BAM! is to require that the lvl 0 character does "something of importance". That could be finding whatever treasure, making it around a trap, being the first to enter a special room, killing a man, convincing kobolds to trade lantern oil for some snake stew.
>>
>>53680081
Do you mean let a player control the hireling(s) for a while and see what they do? Because that's a neat solution, basically a micro-funnel.

I like to keep hirelings amorphous so someone can choose one and now he's a level 1 magic-user or a dwarf. An alternative is to restrict them to specific classes or even level-0 normal humans, and playing them is just what you get for dying.
>>
This may be a little off-topic, but we've been talking about OSR video games on occasion - there's one in the OP picture right now.

But are there any good video games about Sword & Sorcery styled settings? Conan and such?
>>
>>53680245
Yeah, a mini-funnel just to make it so that you don't just throw a PC away and magically get a new one.
>>
File: 1492901092588.jpg (261KB, 1704x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1492901092588.jpg
261KB, 1704x2048px
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-learning-dungeon-level-3.html

Level 3 of Tomb of the Serpent Kings is up.

And the Basilisk finally gets a full writeup: https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-boss-fight-basilisk.html
>>
File: 120451.jpg (347KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
120451.jpg
347KB, 1680x1050px
>>53680724
And yes, I'm putting it all into a PDF, don't worry. Let me know if there are any unclear bits or editing mistakes.
>>
>>53680724
Finally!
>>
File: 1269925448490.jpg (212KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1269925448490.jpg
212KB, 800x533px
>>53681185
Who knows? Maybe I'll do animist wizards next.
>>
File: deer interview.jpg (132KB, 739x673px) Image search: [Google]
deer interview.jpg
132KB, 739x673px
>>53681496

I've been waiting for literally months for the Animist. Please no more trolling. plz
>>
File: Druids.jpg (204KB, 1241x1176px) Image search: [Google]
Druids.jpg
204KB, 1241x1176px
>>53681527
But I really want to write an adventure where the PCs have to kidnap the Pope.

But OK, I've blueballed you enough. I'll start actually working on it.
>>
>>53681576
Oooooooooor, you can take the best from both worlds.
Write an adventure where the PCs have to blueball the Pope.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>53681620
There's an entire table in the works for "Who is the Pope sleeping with when the PCs burst in?"
>>
>>53681684
Make sure one of the entries is a Mirror Realm double.
(1-in-2 chance each of 0 popes w/ 2 in the mirror or 2 popes w/ 0 in the mirror)
>>
File: 1254297190476.gif (314KB, 287x334px) Image search: [Google]
1254297190476.gif
314KB, 287x334px
>>53681758
Oh god, this is going to be worse than Avignon, isn't it?
>>
>>53666754
have an NPC offer good coin for maps
>>
>>53675268
This is much belated, but thank you!
>>
>>53665094
>Favorite OSR system right now?
LotFP with some generous houserules. Looking forward to seeing MCC in its full form.

>Do you have any original content? Post it!
I made/make the homebrews "Ruinations" and "The Rogues March".
I also made that Darkest Dungeons Adventurers for LotFP.
>>
ded
>>
>>
File: alex-brock-queen.jpg (443KB, 1737x1101px) Image search: [Google]
alex-brock-queen.jpg
443KB, 1737x1101px
Tell us an amuuuusing story, /osr/. Your Queen commands it.
>>
File: Reveal Janitor.jpg (340KB, 750x987px) Image search: [Google]
Reveal Janitor.jpg
340KB, 750x987px
>>53685101
One time, Skerples posted pic related in the filename thread.
>>
File: Magic Wand simple clipart.jpg (13KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Wand simple clipart.jpg
13KB, 600x600px
Since the thread is basically dead anyway, allow me to shill my new and revolutionary magic system idea.

Basically I got kind of the tired/annoyed at the old paradigm of 'wizards can do anything but a limited number of times'. I never really liked that way of doing things; I like that Fighters fight and thieves sneak around and Wizards do magic stuff, but that idea of them doing all kinds of stuff just with a strict limit isn't really my style.

I'd rather have limitations on resources like health or thief tools to be something similar like Wizards, instead of a strict limit it should be more nuanced then that. On top of this, I like Wizards being the utility guy and having cool and interesting spells and charms, but giving them too much freedom might make them too good. Plus I want Wizards to have a weakness, so requiring a wand, words, and hand motion to cast spells is a good start.

To remedy this; my first solution was to introduce a new mechanic. Wand allow the Wizard to cast a suite of simple utility spells, possibly rolled or purchased at character creation. These spells replicate the effects of a basic adventuring item and last a single turn until recast. Examples would be a torch/light spell, which just creates light. Another would be like chalk or paint, letting you mark things. Another may be a ladder spell, which lets you go up walls as if you were carrying a ladder. These spells could also be fluffed in interesting ways like the ladder spell; it could grow ivy along the surface you can climb or let bricks slide out from the wall just enough that you can use them as hand and foot holds.

The problem is this system is great for weaker and more utility based magic but what about level progression and more powerful magic? How can Wizards, using this system, get up into more powerful abilites like summoning creatures and so on?
>>
File: sam-hogg-eidy-goblet-msad17.jpg (496KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sam-hogg-eidy-goblet-msad17.jpg
496KB, 1200x1200px
>>53685195
That wasn't me, but I did have a laugh at the guy who responded.

>>53685199
Part of the joy of OSR is the clever use of limited resources. Having a toolbox that always has the right tool makes people with actual toolboxes look silly, and trivializes a lot of problems. Fluff it however you'd like, but the ability to cast a ton of utility spells eats into the design space of an OSR game.
>>
>>53685332
>but the ability to cast a ton of utility spells eats into the design space of an OSR game.

So exactly the same as a normal Wizard then?
>>
File: Time Stop.gif (4MB, 320x260px) Image search: [Google]
Time Stop.gif
4MB, 320x260px
>>53685857
>So exactly the same as a normal Wizard then?

Not really? I mean, Wizards tend to have a toolbox full of really weird specific tools, like a potato masher, a left-handed pair of scissors, and a ladle.

Sure, you can use the scissors to unscrew some screws, but it's a bit different than having a guy who can summon any tool at will.

Macgyvering your fireball, sleep, ray of frost, and tenser's floating disk spell are part of the joy of /osr/.
>>
>>53671729
>I'm too stupid to understand THAC0 so AD&D sucks
It's (THAC0) - (roll) = ac hit. I have never told my players what a monster's ac is
>>
>>53685942
>Macgyvering your fireball, sleep, ray of frost, and tenser's floating disk spell are part of the joy of /osr/.

Oh wow dude, you can use Fireball to melt ice, Ray of Frost to freeze water into a pathway, or use the floating disk spell to move liquids or objects around.

Such incredible, creative uses for the most restrictive, least interesting magic system out there. Woah, I didn't know how interesting boring DnD vancian magic was. How creative. Much original. wow.
>>
File: sunbug_soho_big.jpg (889KB, 2010x2010px) Image search: [Google]
sunbug_soho_big.jpg
889KB, 2010x2010px
>>53686258

>Fireball to melt ice
Oh, come on, be original! Just because you think a pipe is just a pipe doesn't mean everyone does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urdf4g-LXk4

Off the top of my head:
-Frighten bats
-Emergency flare
-Cook a meal
-Blow open a door
-Dry all your clothes at once
-Scorch grass to mark a trail
-Cancel fall damage (if you've got a ring of fire protection or a lot of hp)

Why, I bet you could solve more than half these challenges with just Fireball, Ray of Frost, and Tenser's Floating Disc and not even use the spells for their primary effect!
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.ca/2016/03/1d135-osr-style-challenges.html

And besides dude, you already said you didn't like "classic" D&D magic. That's a given. I'm just telling you why I wouldn't chose to use your system. You're welcome to design, post, and implement it.
>>
File: herosteam.png (55KB, 458x416px) Image search: [Google]
herosteam.png
55KB, 458x416px
>>53686258
The guy you've been arguing with doesn't even use the stock spell system, but he's right about resource management

>you can use Fireball to melt ice,
Fire harden wood
Melt gold off bulky treasure
Momentarily blind people (used in the dark)
Shoot down hallways to signal distant hirelings
Shoot into th sky to signal; distant cities/armies/whatever
Extreme, abrupt, and distant vandalism (in town)
Melt copper or gold-trimmed armor onto their wearer
"Check" around corners (the fireball fills a set volume)
Cast it into a tube for a firelance?
Cheat your way into a temple without burning an offering
>Ray of Frost to freeze water into a pathway,
Bounce it off mirrors?
Trap it in a mirrored flask?
Make an ice rod timer (melts until it can't support a weight)
Near miss people from behind for undetectable spooping
Safely cross deserts
Make ritzy desserts
Kill people through windows without leaving (much) evidence
>or use the floating disk spell to move liquids or objects around.
Act as a "window pane"
Drop distant objects (torches, oils, whatever) at certain times
Climb nearly vertical walls
You could probably hang "ground" under it with rope to fly?
Actually, tie it to rope just to pump things with it
Pry things apart, if you have a pulley to go with the rope?
Lift really heavy shit (statues, doors, etc.), like 100lb./level
Drop really heavy shit (on people? things you need to break?)
>>
>>53681527

Ok, here you go. Animist Wizard time.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-animist-wizards.html
>>
File: goodnight.png (14KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
goodnight.png
14KB, 426x364px
>>53687298
>You can never return another person's love.
I was really digging this
>You will never find love unless you renounce your class and powers.
right up until I saw this.
They aren't allowed to have unrequited love? What about stalker tendencies?

>You can't cast this spell on an apple,
Your plants-are-animals apples don't sleep?

>I like the idea of a horrible dribbly little homonculus
...maybe add vestigial limbs?

>or by slaying the last of a powerful species (black dragons, elder trees, creation elementals, abandoned gods).
And I can't visualize how this would, uh, cleanse you. Or allow you how more filth. Or whatever.

Thanks for finally posting. I'll take a proper look at in in the morning.
>>
File: stepan-alekseev-03.jpg (192KB, 1012x1280px) Image search: [Google]
stepan-alekseev-03.jpg
192KB, 1012x1280px
>>53687451
>They aren't allowed to have unrequited love? What about stalker tendencies?
You will never find love, but love can find you. Lust and fixation are just fine. :)

>>53687451
>Your plants-are-animals apples don't sleep?
Should rephrase. You can't use the apple as a carrier for the spell.

>And I can't visualize how this would, uh, cleanse you. Or allow you how more filth. Or whatever.
Basically, it's giving yourself fully to the kegare-aspect by damaging the nature of Creation itself. It's more than poisoning a river or burning down a temple. It's about removing, and allowing a thing to rot, that will never and can never exist again, and doing it for a purely selfish reason.
>>
What's the minimum amount of spell levels/divisions of spell power you'd tolerate in a system?

Personally, I think 9 is pretty excessive. I'm not sure if 5 or 6 is perfect, but I think 4 might be a bit too tight. What do you think?
>>
Do you have Tiamat in your setting? How do feel about her being a Mesopotamian god that exists in your setting that doesn't have Mesopotamians?
>>
>>53688898
Who's to say my setting doesn't have Mesopotamians as well?
>>
>>53688924
I mean, I just assumed that most settings wouldn't. But if you do have Mesopotamians in your setting, then how do other cultures feel about the Mesopotamian god being real and tangible while their own gods are (presumably) not as present?
>>
File: clay coins.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
clay coins.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>Coins in the setting are made of porcelin
>Each time you take fall damage or are hit with a blunt weapon, multiply the damage by x10 and lose that many coins that shatter on impact.
>>
>>53686650
Holy shit steve martin was never funny at all
>>
>>53685195
Women's restrooms are notoriously even more gross than the men's
t. guy who has cleaned washrooms for a job
>>
>>53688898
She fled to this fantasy world after all her mesopotamians died in this one

duh
>>
File: Argonian wizard.jpg (169KB, 939x1215px) Image search: [Google]
Argonian wizard.jpg
169KB, 939x1215px
While everyone else is asleep and/or discussing magic systems...

I really want feedback on this magic system. Basically, no spells levels, unlimited daily casts. One slot at level one, and one more slot every even level. At odd levels, your magic gets +1 stronger in whatever numerical effect it might has. It takes 1 turn to prepare any spell or replace one you have already prepared with a new spell.

I want it to be *balanced* as well as simple and quick to use for the game. Sound good? Or at least interesting?
>>
>>53687298
> You cannot bathe
That's gross dude. Just imagine, no wonder why people don't like them
>>
>>53688226
I'm fine with 1. Assuming that gets my group's goat, the next smallest I would go is 3.
>>
>>53689024 c >>53685332
>>
>>53689294
I'd go with 3 turns (or vary it by spell) so that you're concretely risking something with each id-dungeon preparation, but otherwise I have no objections.
Make sure you strip out all the spells like knock (or consign them to scrolls). Those crush other class's toes when they aren't a limited resource.
>>
>>53688898
I'm the guy with Chaos Dorfs in his setting, Tiamat is always welcome.
>>53688968
Not this guy, but, why would the other gods not be?
>>
>>53692231
I guess it was a bad follow-up question. I just wonder where people draw the line with real-world gods and their own made-up gods. If Tiamat is there, then where are Abzu and Marduk? And where's Yahweh? And where's Quetzalcoatl, Thor, Jesus, Raiden and Jupiter?
>>
r8 my table
Suggest additions
Be one of the cool kids

Random Exotic Trader Quirks
1. Sniffs a small metal censer when agitated
2. Reads a few sentences silently from a small notebook every minute or two
3. Puts on an obviously fake accent
4. Refuses to say a specific, common word
5. Always emphasizes a specific, common word
6. Casually racist towards a random sapient race
7. Believes he cannot be killed unless his “phylactery” is destroyed
8. Attempts to wax philosophical about mundane or unimportant details
9. Adores animals and believes she can speak with them.
10. Will offer to buy random objects on a character's person; always offers ten gold pieces
11. Brushes their teeth with a frayed twig immediately after eating, even while talking
12. Glances upwards every few seconds
13. Paces in a circle when he is thinking or trying to remember something
14. Invents diminutive nicknames for people they meet and never uses their given name
15. Believes all magic is illusory
16. Stores small objects in her hair or beard
17. Aggressively germophobic
18. Racial transvestite
19. Gender transvestite
20. Easily frightened
>>
>>53693279
Looks pretty good.

I'll add one recurring merchant NPC our DM likes to use: everything he says rhymes, with the exception of the first thing he says upon an encounter, which he instead always ends to a cough.
>>
>>53687298
Well done, I dig the new sleep spell.
May I just ask if there's any progress on the remaining entities?
>>
>>53687298
>Water elementals carry means of purifying corruption,
>and Animists know their secret ways.
Huh
I thought they scared the water into doing what they want
Or at least coerced it in some way
They just persuade it?
>>
>>53687530
Say you have overcome your doom™
Are you still at risk of more doom™?
>>
>>53693475
Thanks, cool kid. That sounds pretty cool.
>>
Anyone dming on roll20? Any tips for a first-timer?
>>
>>53694310
>Any tips for a first-timer?
Don't use it as a group finder.
>>
>>53694310

Look at some tutorial videos on YouTube and follow along. You'll feel a lot less overwhelmed when game time comes.
>>
File: tumblr_olcri347XE1r2s3h9o1_1280.png (315KB, 725x544px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_olcri347XE1r2s3h9o1_1280.png
315KB, 725x544px
What's down the well?
>>
>>53694422
A dungeon.
>>
>>53694422
A well golem.
>>
>>53694422
Poison. You die.
>>
>>53694422
A pane of glass scrying a dark cave.
The pane rests on rusty spikes.
>>
>>53694422
A well-to-do salesman. He happens to be selling this well.
>>
File: 1480968057612.jpg (197KB, 906x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1480968057612.jpg
197KB, 906x1350px
>>53693776
Nope. One doom per character per lifetime.

>>53693720
You'd probably need to work that out on a wizard-by-wizard basis.

>>53693543
Not much, sorry.

>>53689891
Most people before 1500 didn't bathe much, as far as we can tell. The past is smelly and full of greasy shirts.
>>
>>53675268
But veins of the earth is not third party? It's released by Raggi under license.
>>
>>53694422
Judging by the scratches, something that really, really wanted out.
>>
>>53698491
Romans, for all their loves of baths, mostly just scratched themselves clean.
Soap was crazy foreign magic. Like plowing with cattle instead of slaves.
>>
>>53698491
>Not much, sorry.
It's cool, dude, just checking. Go work on the stuff that's the most fun for you.
>>
>>53691289

If you have to rememorize it once per turn you still have to stop the whole party's exploration for 10 minutes every time, which is still losing 1 turn of torchlight, all your aura spells tick down once, and you roll yet another wandering monster check. I feel like its a good balance where it is.

The only other issue is with the worldbuilding and lore aspect; how to mages act if they can cast as many spells a day they want, but have to take time to memorize them? It's the same issue with most settings though, to be fair.
>>
>>53699170
>you still have to stop the whole party's exploration for 10 minutes every time,
The party stalls pretty often, puzzles and indecision and whatnot.
1 turn gives a "free" spell whoever that happens, 3 only give a discount.
>and you roll yet another wandering monster check.
Wandering Monsters are checked every 2 turns.
>>
File: CrlBx.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
CrlBx.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>53699015
>Go work on the stuff that's the most fun for you.
Oh you say that now, you smug bastard. You were singing a different tune before the Animist Wizard was done.
>>
Anyone try Crimson Dragon Slayer? Is it any good? Just read a review of it today.
>>
File: alexander-forssberg-plaguelands1.jpg (279KB, 1600x780px) Image search: [Google]
alexander-forssberg-plaguelands1.jpg
279KB, 1600x780px
>>53699952
Genuine question, not a troll I swear.

Why do you use "turns" instead of "minutes"?

I get using an abstracted turn length in combat, but out of it? It seems... weird.
>>
>>53699952
>Wandering Monsters are checked every 2 turns.

Maybe in your shit game.
>>
>>53688226
Pre-Greyhawk OD&D goes up to level 6. There's a lot to be said for that, to my mind.
>>
>>53700315
A round is 1 minute and a turn is 10 minutes.
You save 2 syllables not listing minutes.

Also, 1 minute isn't really a useful amount of time for exploration.
>>
>>53689294
>I want it to be *balanced* as well as simple and quick to use for the game. Sound good?
Not if you want it to be balanced relative to standard D&D. It's going to blow shit out. It's notoriously hard to make alternative magic systems that leave casters on roughly the same power level with no giant flaws.

>Or at least interesting?
Frankly, no. Personally I'd never run your system.

But, that being said, the GLOG system is very similar in many ways to what you're suggesting, AFAICT.
>>
>>53665932
thank you for posting this, you wonderful human being
>>
>>53700708
Some of the pre-Greyhawk spell level lists conformed to dice sizes too, for quick af "what does this faggot ass wizard/looted spellbook have for spells?"
>>
File: t3_62zn5k.jpg (914KB, 1040x1356px) Image search: [Google]
t3_62zn5k.jpg
914KB, 1040x1356px
>>53700752
Right, but it seems to layer an additional abstraction on exploration and make it less about real-world actions and more about mechanics.

"What are you guys doing for the next fifteen minutes" or "What are you guys doing for the next turn" are equivalent questions, but only one breaks immersion. And it means you have to think about weird questions. You know how many minutes it takes to eat a sandwich, sew on a button, or read a book cover to cover, but you have to convert that into turns for some reason if you're playing D&D?

Minutes feel grounded. They feel real. It'd be like telling your players "you move two hexes north" instead of "twelve miles north".
>>
File: Cool Wizard.jpg (53KB, 564x797px) Image search: [Google]
Cool Wizard.jpg
53KB, 564x797px
>>53700796
>Not if you want it to be balanced relative to standard D&D. It's going to blow shit out. It's notoriously hard to make alternative magic systems that leave casters on roughly the same power level with no giant flaws.

The developers really didn't put any effort into original DnD either. The whole 'wizards are strong but level up slowly' thing is still there, but for more modern games and groups we want characters to be balanced on a more equal curve.

Using this system Wizards are stronger at lower levels, but weaker at higher levels. Waiting a turn to replace a weaker level 1 spell is a lot weaker then a high level Wizard. A level 20 Wizard is a LOT weaker in this system then traditional DnD. They have 11 first/universal spell levels in this system. Normal DnD Wizards would have absolutely loads more.

>Frankly no, personally I'd never run your system
Sure. It's your opinion. But don't say it isn't interesting because you don't like it.

>GLOG is similar
No, it really isn't.
>>
>>53701312
OD&D riffed wargaming terminology, because Gygax thought in those terms.
It stuck around because it's harder to confuse in and out of game time.
Also >muh sacred cow

And minutes are only grounded if people in your setting measure in minutes.
>>
So not technically /osr/, but because I found that the OSR style is the one that appeals to me the most, I thought I'd tried here instead of making a new thread.

I wanted to play Shadowrun. Then I read the rules.

I want a rules system for a cyberpunk game that is about as complex as basic or AD&D 1e, being easy to explain, easy to narrate, easy to DM for, and easy to generate monsters/villains for, with an emphasis on crawling/heists/missions, but not being a 20 page "Make literally everything up on your own we ain't got time for that shit" rulebook.

I know it's kind of asking for alot, but I thought if any place would already have this, it might be /osr/
>>
>>53702370

Make your own you dweeb.
>>
>>53702834
>Make an RPG without checking the crowds to see if someone already made it
>Get halfway done
>Find out someone already did it and did it better than you.

Why on earth would I EVER make my own?
>>
>>53702874

It will never be as good as something you want to make, you'll never understand someone else's system as good as you know your own, and besides it's obvious that nobody else has made one yet.
>>
File: wayAXML.png.jpg (505KB, 908x950px) Image search: [Google]
wayAXML.png.jpg
505KB, 908x950px
>>53702874
Make it on the moon you dweeb.
>>
File: 1457916125656.jpg (363KB, 605x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1457916125656.jpg
363KB, 605x1024px
Alright FUCKERS, here's my new and exciting magic system donut steel:
>spell slots represent the spells you can "safely" cast; they renew after a good rest
>anyone who has spell slots can also cast spells beyond their capacity by sacrificing HP
>casting a spell you know without using a slot costs (2 x spell level) HP
>casting a spell you don't know without using a slot costs (3 x spell level) HP
>you can pay more HP than you currently have but you die once the spell is cast (the spell runs its full duration even if you're dead)

>>53702370
Mirrorshades, The Black Hack Cyber-hacked, Stars Without Number + the cyberpunk splat. I really get tired of this question being asked and answered to be quite honest with you family.
>>
>>53702370
Cyberpunk 2020 is still, imo, by far the best cyberpunk game published that isn't you yourself spending hundreds of hours in GURPS hammering out your own game. It has some sort-of dated mechanics that are indicative of it's being published in the early 90's and the overall tone is closer to 2000 A.D. than Neuromancer, but those are two things that are very easily homebrewed away. Overall, it hold up very well.

As for other Cyberpunk games, most of them are half finished hacks of other systems and pretty mediocre. Eclipse Phase can be easily used to run cyberpunk games, but it's a pretty hefty system to learn and run. Shadowrun, like you said, is a nightmare mess.
>>
>>53702971
MAID
>>
>>53702963
>spell slots represent the spells you can "safely" cast-

stopped reading there.

Magic systems that are "le cast a spell and see if your penis gets blown off xd" are not funny, not interesting, don't make good gameplay. Stop punishing the Wizard for being a fucking Wizard.
>>
>>53702935
Or I'll find something that gives me what I want and things that give me things I didn't know I wanted before. But lets not play passive-aggressive philosophy debate club for the next 4 hours.

>>53702963
Thank you for the recommendations! I'll look them up.
>I really get tired of this question being asked and answered to be quite honest with you family.
I didn't need the commentary though. I'm rarely in the thread to begin with, so I don't see/care about your personal problems. Why not suggest a pastebin FAQ to post these recommendations if the questions come up so much instead of bitching about it?

>>53702971
You know, I've seen 2020 around so much, maybe I will go check it out.
>>
File: DSCF7208_HESS2048.jpg (738KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7208_HESS2048.jpg
738KB, 2048x1536px
>>53703120
>But lets not play passive-aggressive philosophy debate club for the next 4 hours.

I'm sorry, I thought this was 4chan.

Anyway, I'd also suggest reading the stuff that's out there and deciding "fuck it, I'm MASHING IT TOGETHER and making it BETTER" is a good plan. Throw out subsystems you dislike. Add ones from other games or systems that you appreciate. Show up to GM with a stack of paper in a file folder.
>>
>>53703120
Why not spend 10 seconds in google instead of being a little bitch who asks to be spoonfed? Entitled little shit.

>>53703113
>literally makes casters more powerful and versatile
>STOP PUNISHING WIZARDS REEEEEEE
Are you retarded?
>>
File: Ain't about games.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ain't about games.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
>>53703288
If I was willing to do all of that to begin with, I wouldn't ask if someone made a system, I would just make the system without asking permission, don't you think?

I'm making my own fantasy game right now anyways, so I didn't want to pile up the two especially because I feel that there wouldn't be good overlap

>>53703324
>Google various permutations of "Cyberpunk", "RPG", "Game", and "Pen & Paper" for an hour
>30 pages of reddit tier people asking the same question and recommending Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 and Eclipse Phase.
>No other recommendations or ideas beyond that.
What, did you honestly think I wanted to spend my time on 4chan talking to someone who gets emotionally unstable when someone calls out their blogging habits?
>>
File: tumblr_oakv6kuLuJ1qf4kz5o1_500.gif (174KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oakv6kuLuJ1qf4kz5o1_500.gif
174KB, 480x270px
>>53703409
Oh probably, but sometimes, people just need an extra bit of encouragement. I'm not trying to say "you're a dingus for asking." I'm trying to say "Go you! You can do it! Rah rah rah!"

Can't be much help beyond that, sadly. Never really got the cyberpunk thing myself.
>>
>>53703566
Fair enough. I disagree with the outcome, but I can understand your reasons.

>Never really got the cyberpunk thing myself.
Me either, not until recently when I sort of rediscovered that I really love the genre after a discussion about Neuromancer with someone.
>>
>>53703409
>Google various permutations of "Cyberpunk", "RPG", "Game", and "Pen & Paper" for an hour
Took me 5 seconds to google "cyberpunk OSR game". Eat shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (16KB, 346x221px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
16KB, 346x221px
>>53703634
Congrats. Even though my history says otherwise, I never would have thought of such an obscure and otherwise mystical combination of words that would suddenly produce me all of my answers. Thank you oh-so-much, wise guru. I shame my family for not having thought of that like you did.
>>
File: t3_5dsvyn.jpg (3MB, 2695x1792px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5dsvyn.jpg
3MB, 2695x1792px
>>53703634
>Took me 5 seconds to google "cyberpunk OSR game". Eat shit.

Anon... I don't think it was the googling that was giving him the trouble. I think it was the results he was getting.

But good on you. You can type 12 words per minute.

>>53703617
It's mostly that homebrewing and mashing together a system for my games has been such a delight that I end up doing it for all my games now. The only game I've run out of the box in the last... 8 years? was Apocalypse World. Everything else I've at the very least built a custom primer or something.
>>
File: disappointment.jpg (870KB, 2100x2970px) Image search: [Google]
disappointment.jpg
870KB, 2100x2970px
>>53703692
That should have brought you to SWN: Polychrome, among other things.
Have you tried using a real search engine?
>>
>>53703728
>It's mostly that homebrewing and mashing together a system for my games has been such a delight that I end up doing it for all my games now. The only game I've run out of the box in the last... 8 years? was Apocalypse World. Everything else I've at the very least built a custom primer or something.

The reason I'm so hesitant on just making a new system is that I've become so entrenched in my game design philosophies that I'm building a completely brand new system from the ground up that, in my own opinion, is basically restructuring what we know of the RPG philosophy and formula. Which is taking a lot of work, understandably.

I COULD just mash together something quick, but I'd be so unhappy that I might as well have just learned something quick and premade.

>>53703738
I can tell you don't use duckduckgo. That's fine. I won't even call you a retard for it.

See that !g at the end of my search? That's a "bang". If you put that in your query, DDG auto-pipes that to the search engine with that initial.
!g = google
!gi = google images
!a = amazon
!w = wikipedia

And even then, you can make it less ambiguous by putting in more info
!imdb = IMDB
!gamefaqs = gameFAQs

etc.
>>
File: 1492963243925.jpg (6MB, 1668x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1492963243925.jpg
6MB, 1668x2000px
>>53703801
>I can tell you don't use duckduckgo. That's fine. I won't even call you a retard for it.
That's the most aggressively helpful thing I've seen today.

>t I've become so entrenched in my game design philosophies that I'm building a completely brand new system from the ground up that, in my own opinion, is basically restructuring what we know of the RPG philosophy and formula. Which is taking a lot of work, understandably.

Always easiest the second time 'round.

Anyway, best of luck!
>>
File: 1464474978598.gif (3MB, 456x456px) Image search: [Google]
1464474978598.gif
3MB, 456x456px
>his search engine is a proxy
>>
Can't we all get along just fine? Otherwise I will have to throw rocks at you

Also, which AD&D 2e splats are good? I see a lot of people saying 2e outside core is full of shit...
>>
>>53704840
Some of them were good. Most were shoveled out for money.
>>
>>53704930
But which ones would you recommend?
>>
>>53705005
Complete Priest's Handbook
Any Al-Qadim splats
Monster Mythology
The Will and The Way
Most other Dark Sun splats
Dungeon Master Option: High-Level Campaigns
Campaign Option: Council of Wyrms
Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide
>>
>>53705143
>>53704840
Don't forget The Complete Psionics Handbook. I'd also recommend The Complete Book of Humanoids.
>>
>>53705545
Complete Psionics Handbook wasn't a waste of time, but I won't call it good.
>>
How do I know what amount of monsters, traps, and resources are fair enough for my party so things aren't too easy or hard for them?
>>
>>53706848
You don't, your players just need to git gud
>>
>>53705143
>>53705545
Player's Option: Combat & Tactics had some good stuff in it.
>>
Any online OSR dms here? What resources do you use to do maps, resource tracking and so on for an online game? I know roll20 is the stock standard, is it really good?
>>
>>53701312
I never reference rounds, nor turns in my games. I just ask what they do.
These things are there for the Ref, not for anyone else. It's to help track time and have a handy frame of time for spell effects and similar.
>>
File: snake dance.gif (85KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
snake dance.gif
85KB, 600x700px
>>53665094
I was introduced to rpgs only very, very recently with fifth edition, although I did play Baldur's Gate and learnt about THAC0. I stumbled across Lamentations of the Flame Princess on 1d4chan, where the article kinda shits on it and the author, but after looking into the game I've never felt so drawn into something quite like that. The rules, the tone, the art. Really great looking game, I can't wait to play it. Anyway thanks for the thread, all this stuff is really cool to go through.
>>
>>53707392
You could try watching Old School Adventures. The DM used an updated Caves of Chaos map (hidden on Roll20's GM layer) while getting players to draw it out (on the map/token layer). Someone made them a B/X facsimile character sheet too, which has macros built in.

This is probably the smoothest way of doing it, but B/X is so simple you could get away with using Roll20 for nothing but mapping and notes.
>>
>>53707938
>I stumbled across Lamentations of the Flame Princess on 1d4chan, where the article kinda shits on it and the author

That article really needs a rewrite.
>>
>>53706848
1/3 empty
1/3 monster rooms
1/6 special rooms (think set pieces or most importantly monster lairs)
1/6 trap rooms
1/6 treasure rooms

1/2 of the monster rooms should also be treasure rooms. Only kill ritch monsters
>>
>>53707968
We also need to write about a bunch of other retroclones, and pseudo-retroclones like DCC.
>>
>>53707983
The OSR article wasn't the best either, but it looks like someone took steps to improve it.

Too much bitter, not enough funny. I'm sure /osrg/ could do better.
>>
>>53707978
I know what you're saying here, and I've used something similar using a d6, but I've also never seen a d6 with 7 results on it. :^)
>>
>>53708029
That's because some of the rooms are either only treasure, only monsters or monster/treasure. The sum of the first list is 1. (I think, I'm also drinking beer right now)
>>
>>53708344
Yeah, the version I used was roughly

1 - Empty
2 - Empty
3 - Monster, no loot
4 - Monster, w/loot
5 - Special
6 - Trap

Functionally identical.
>>
>>53704840
>Also, which AD&D 2e splats are good?
Anything related to Al-Qadim is GOAT even though the Complete Sha'ir's Handbook is kind of... unhinged and unbalanced and unusable.

The Complete Thief's Handbook is probably the single best splat, it doesn't distort the power level of Thieves much, Thieves were already by far the most shit class power-wise anyhow so it's not even bad if they accidentally get a bit powercrept, and a lot of the content is just about running an all-Thief game.

I also remember thinking the Arms and Equipment Guide and the Castle Handbook were great when I was a kid, but who knows if those hold up.
>>
Trying to write a town-based scenario since there's not too many of those. It's part of a larger thing, but I'm trying to make the town more than just a who-cares pitstop for the PCs. So far, I basically have:

>Sorcerous mountain savages headed by their risen Witch King of old are attacking borderland settlements something fierce, weak kingdom is powerless to really stop it
>Employ mercenaries as a stopgap measure, send a band to one of the remote villages.
>Mercenaries arrive, start squatting in town. Savages keep away from them and focus on easier targets
>Mercenaries realize there's nobody really preventing them from doing what they want, also they can't really get out there and fight because there's a lot of attackers and the walls around the village are a big equalizer
>Start breaking things, demanding heavy tribute from villagers, make the local monastery their headquarters, put everyone who opposes them to the sword and look for riches.
>Town is going to shit and everything around it is shit, general lawlessnes, gnashing of teeth, horrors of war etc etc.

I mean, I guess there's stuff here, and it would probably be good enough, but I feel it could be better. Trying to think of ways to make the situation more intresting and multifaceted than just "These guys are assholes but you can't just beat them up and make them stop since who's going to keep the village from being sacked then."
Just not sure how much faction play a scenario like that really needs.

The rest of the bigger scenario would be about going up to the god-forsaken mountains of black sorcery (full of terrible things) and doing something about the witch king, who's apparently back from the dead and gathering power to turn everything really terrible for everyone. Or just going there and taking his shit, more likely. Still.
>>
>>53708452
Yes although I would run 1/6th of the empty rooms as treasure rooms but pretty much the same.
>>
>>53707145
Plenty of books have some good stuff in them.
But that book, taken as a whole, is hot dookie.
>>
>>53709594
Fair enough, but just the expanded weapon specialization and shield proficiency rules make it worthwhile for me.
>>
Which psionics rules are the best?
>>
>>53710197
No psionics.
>>
>>53710197
http://udan-adan.blogspot.com/2015/07/denizens-of-wicked-city-7-blighted-and.html
http://udan-adan.blogspot.com/2015/09/denizens-of-wicked-city-8-mindblade.html
>>
>>53710197
SWN.
>>
Pretty sure I'm going to use S&W's single saving throw as a general adventuring skill that gets better as you level up. When you're trying to do something adventure-y and dangerous, roll your saving throw, modified by your ability scores.

Thoughts?
>>
>>53710372
Is there a pitch for SWN somewhere? I don't really see what's interesting about "OSR... in spaaaaaaace!" Is there anything there that I can use for a fantasy campaign?
>>
>>53710521
Kevin Crawford writes really good advice into his books.
The parts (tables) of SWN that aren't just Bx are system agnostic.
Beyond that, Sci-fi and Fantasy are the same genre.
>>
>>53710521
OSR in space, plus really solid sandbox/generation rules. I wish there was a fantasy version of them (An Echo Resounding isn't quite the same, plus it's skewed toward Red Tide).
>>
some cuckboy banned me from the discord lol
>>
>>53711792
That must be your winning personality at work.
>>
>>53711874
commie filth burn in hell
>>
File: 1460954188663.png (291KB, 750x366px) Image search: [Google]
1460954188663.png
291KB, 750x366px
>>53711910
That awkward moment when you need point out a noticeable lack of hell (beyond the usual mess, everyone is in anyway).
>>53709252
> Just not sure how much faction play a scenario like that really needs.
Half a dozen - enough to keep things interesting, but not enough to have party forget who is who.

1) Savages
2) Mercenaries
3) Local elite (government/nobility/rich)

Additional:
4) Local underdog faction that wants to replace current elite
5) Outsider forces that want to exploit current weakness (merchant league or something)
6) ?? - something weird (religious cult?)
>>
>>53667427
May GAEA smile upon you.
>>
>>53694399
I'm pretty deep into it now.
I set up macros for surprise, reaction rolls, attacks and morale.
Working on a monster manual now.
Hope I'll do a lot of roll20 GMing in the future.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTru2-bZdI8

What's this style of music called? What else is there like this?
>>
>>53715172
A very odd offshoot of dungeon synth perhaps? I am not sure. I do suggest dungeon synth however, as I feel it is the closest to OSR themed music.
>>
>>53710697
>Kevin Crawford writes really good advice into his books.
I keep hearing this and it's interesting that it never gets more specific than that. Do you have an example of this good advice?
>>
>>53715297
Got any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bTcOEHkqg introduced me to dungeon synth but from there it's been very hit or miss.

Actually atmospheric black metal would be good too, but most of the albums on this channel have too much screaming. Maybe it's because I'm not a metal guy, but it doesn't seem fit for gaming.
>>
>>53715172
Dark Ambient or Dungeon Synth.
>>
>>53716099
Why not just read the books?

A lot of it is woven into the body text, some of it is sidebars, often it's entire chapters (like the Game Master's Guide and Designer Notes in Stars Without Number).

If you want to skip to something representative, I'd suggest Sandbox Gaming and You on page 77-79 of SWN. He does a great job explaining what sandbox gaming is, how it works, what the drawbacks are, how to manage player expectations, and how to handle things as a GM.
>>
>>53716238
This is one of my favorites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fW1WxWmZkk

and for the brighter parts of the campaign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DffQVP6UqVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-GflJvadkw

and I dont believe this has any screaming, though I might be wrong though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaoVdzo00lI
>>
File: spelljammer.jpg (86KB, 598x397px) Image search: [Google]
spelljammer.jpg
86KB, 598x397px
So, how do we save Spelljammer as a setting?
>>
When one of the weirder modules says something like, "the monster attacks for 1d4 damage while shouting the victim's worst fears", how do you handle it?

Do you make the fears up and hope the player is happy with them? Do you ask the player? Do you just say, "the monster does 3 damage while shouting your worst fears"?
>>
>>53716349
Thanks for the info. I will read the books, but I needed to know if it's worth it. I don't have too much time and there's a lot of stuff to read, you know?
>>
>>53717311
Dude puts /a lot/ of care into those books.
It's not as obvious with pdfs, but most sets of information are kept to two pages to prevent page turning. etc.
>>
>Zak S is 40

what
>>
>>53716995
Always ask the player, unless for some reason it's already established. Stuff like that is a great way to make characters become more interesting naturally through play, rather than just all at character creation or through boring mechanical stuff.
>>
Started writing a post about +1 magic swords.

Ended up doing math to discover that monks could build an atomic bomb out of magic, a needle, and mercury.

How's your setting work going?
>>
>>53717568
What are you saying? That he hasn't achieved enough yet to warrant early middle age?
>>
>>53717760

I thought he was like, 25

solid genetics right there
>>
>>53716972
Publish your own not-Spelljammer OSR science fantasy space setting like somebody should have already done years ago.
>>
>>53717878
http://blogofholding.com/?p=6928
>>
>>53717878
Meh. I just think we should populate the universe with spheres that- unlike three ____spaces- work in Spelljammer. Like Rock of Bral does.

No need for reworking the whole system. Whlist clunky, it works well eunough for laziness and nostalgia to win.
>>
>>53717864
For a the flak he gets about using 'fucks girls' as his calling card, that's a fair justification.
>>
>>53717981
what? him fucking girls justifies looking young or looking young justifies fucking girls?
>>
>>53718018
No, fucking girls is self-justifying.
But solid genetics justifies him bragging about it.
>>
>>53718108
to be fair, fucking girls is also his job
>>
>>53718208

is he still doing porn at 40?

links?
>>
File: 1489092095023.gif (3MB, 475x268px) Image search: [Google]
1489092095023.gif
3MB, 475x268px
>>53718108
That doesn't make sense. I have the physique of a soft-serve ice cream cone and I'm still pleased as punch whenever I get laid.

My wife is confused by this, but accepts it.
>>
>>53671729
THAC0 is dogshit easy. Roll a D20, add your modifiers. DM tells you if that hits or not
>>
>>53716238
Batoushka's Litourgiya album is perfect for anything involving evil cults
>>
>>53717864
He looks older in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjz2kIiwLaY
Still pretty young-looking though.
>>
>>53718640
I don't mind him as a writer, but fuck does he look like a douchenozzle.

I'd still take him over the fuckwits at Catalyst any day.
>>
>>53718686
>fuck does he look like a douchenozzle.

how? why?

he looks like (current) Gary Numan's cooler younger brother
>>
>>53718686
It probably doesn't qualify as a step forward for feminism, but we appear to be having an extended discussion about the physical attractiveness of a man we all know primarily through his creative output.

Any thoughts on the shape of his dick?
>>
>>53718795
I haven't actually seen any of his porn.
Describe it in terms of that one chart.

You know the one.
>>
Looking to run my group through an evil lich's tower. Any good modules I should look at for reference?
>>
File: harkness test.png (229KB, 1051x1393px) Image search: [Google]
harkness test.png
229KB, 1051x1393px
>>53718844
>>
>>53718873
are you calling Zak's dick a fictional creature?
>>
>>53718844
Let me put it like this - it's so curvy that if it were a banana it could not be sold under EU fruit quality regulations.
>>
>>53718795
>>53718844
>>53718873
>>53718912
you all just make me want to reiterate the spoiler in >>53718277
>>
>>53718935
and i'm now adding >>53718934 to that list
>>
>>53704840
I'd say Complete Book of Humanoids is decent if you ignore the class and level restrictions for the races it includes
>>
>>53718953
I get that he thinks 4chan is a nazi-infested shithole, but someone please show this thread to Zak
>>
>>53717568
Wait, what? Why would you think this?
>>
>>53719064
>he thinks 4chan is a nazi-infested shithole

that's sad

I don't remember it even being that bad, 4chan was like the alternative corner of the internet for a while. right in line with DIY/punk culture
>>
File: Crawljammer 01.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Crawljammer 01.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53717878
Crawljammer for DCC.
>>
>>53718862
None spring to mind.
Acererak is the only lich I can think of who actually owns the dungeon he lives in.

Just remember that OSR liches are less "controls 7000 skellies slaves" and more "50 vampires and a mummy owe him a favor."
>>
File: hell no deer.jpg (173KB, 601x665px) Image search: [Google]
hell no deer.jpg
173KB, 601x665px
>>53719179
>DCC
>>
>>53719198
Your loss, amigo.
>>
>>53719136
He's a commie/antifa type guy, and ever since /pol/ happened they've all been incredibly buttblasted about the entire site.
>>
>>53719196

Yeah, so far what I've got for him is that he has a bunch of mummies hanging out in the bottom of his tower. But that's about it so far.
>>
>>53716972
Hackjammer did a pretty good job of it already.
>>
>>53719179
>>53719639
>there are two clones of the least popular 2e setting
First time I've felt like OSR cloning has gone a bit overboard tbqh
>>
>>53720105

Spelljammer is a cult classic of a setting. It might not have been as widely popular as other 2e settings, but at the same time people who liked it tended to REALLY like it. It's not all that weird to see it being redone by people who want more of it.

You'd never see anyone actually making a tribute/straight clone of Forgotten Realms. I mean, I've seen a lot of shitty standard settings that are basically FR, but nobody's going to actually pursue, more or less up to namechecking, something so bland. Even if it was popular and all.
>>
>>53717568
Wikipedia confirms it.
Holy fuck.

Dude looks just a few years older than me and I'm in my early twenties, damn.

I think his voice is also quite misleading, as it is somewhat adolescent in tone.

Well, at least that explains a lot about him, dude's done a ton of shit in the art, porn and diy RPG worlds.
>>
>>53665094
How does old-school D&D handle perception/stealth checks?
>>
>>53720366
Depends a lot.

If you ask people who played back in the day they'll often say they just did perception checks as x in 6 or else sometimes roll under suitable ability score.

Lots of OSR bloggers will tell you that perception checks are fake and gay and never existed and it's all about manipulating the scene through description ("I search behind the painting").

Stealth for non-thieves is usually up however the DM wants to handle it. Stealth for thieves has a skill roll with a d% in AD&D and stuff, exact mechanics vary by edition.
>>
>>53720188
>You'd never see anyone actually making a tribute/straight clone of Forgotten Realms.
I'm pretty sure this is at least 60% because it would take twenty years to make it.
>>
Are there any interesting OSR alchemy systems / ideas floating around out there?

My players have expressed interest in taking up alchemy, and I for one think that having them scour the realm for rare reagents is a great motivator for adventure, but... I'm still mulling over in my head how I'd want to handle the nitty-gritty of it.
>>
>>53720407
>Lots of OSR bloggers will tell you that perception checks are fake and gay and never existed
Not really. That would be as dumb as denying that people have been butthurt about Vancian casting from day 1. It seems clear that a LOT of players chose to roll for this, not least from the fact that perception-check type rules are ubiquitous in RPGs in general (all of which are, in a deep sense, D&D imitations, after all).

What OSR people actually tend to say is stuff like "based on stories from Gygax, Kuntz, Mornard and others it's become clear that in the originating campaigns, such checks were rarely if ever used, and that intended but badly elucidated play style is in fact superior in the sense of more fun. So we suggest you don't use them."
>>
>>53720567
It takes some amount of downtime and strange ingredients.

You wouldn't be caught dead making potions in the inn's kitchen, but you totally coyld. 5% failure chance from poor sanitation tho.
/Proper/ potion making requires a laboratory worth 1000gp per level of the MU, but a 500gp lab is sanitary enough for a 0% failure rate.

Recipes take half a spells know slot (rounded down), but don't need to be memorized. Just be clear on what the potions need to make.
Tears of a dryad, champagne opened by royalty, fermented shambling walker, piss of a goat that hasn't faced in the direction Mars for 72 hours...
If the MU isn't personally involved in the collection of ingredients, add an appropriate % failure (risk of fake ingredients).
>>
File: Zak's Dick.png (1MB, 1315x740px) Image search: [Google]
Zak's Dick.png
1MB, 1315x740px
>>53718934
>>
>>53719064
>I get that he thinks 4chan is a nazi-infested shithole,

I think 4chan is a nazi-infested shithole, and I post here, so....
>>
>>53680724
Can you give Xiximanter the skeleton jellies?
>>
File: 1492645688245.jpg (139KB, 849x940px) Image search: [Google]
1492645688245.jpg
139KB, 849x940px
>>53720985
Yes. He'll go "Oh, these guys. What naughty fellows, always escaping." And tie them up in a corner. They'll escape in 1d6 days.
>>
>>53721001
But he won't, like, cram them into a bottle?
>>
>>53720567

I see multiple ways to do it.

The first is specific ingredient and recipie system. It's easy to understand, but can be annoying to keep track of, is very campign setting specific, and lacks easy experimentation.

You could steal Elder Scrolls system where each ingredient has a couple of properties and you combine 2 ingredients or more with the same properties that's the potions effects. This requires you to compare and catalouge every single potion ingredient but is great for experimentation and stuff.

You could use an abstract system instead- ingredients are not specific but general. Warg teeth, nightshade buds, and black salt from the east all are just counted as 'death ingredients'. Combine any death ingredient with 'resistance ingredient' or 'poison ingredient' to make a save vs death buff potion or a death potion. As I'm typing this up I'm also being reminded of Ars Magics spontaneous magic system, combining arts + forms, and that could be interesting to create a potion or magic item creation system.

Or you could do a purely game abstraction system- potions just cost gold and downtime based on magic users level and Labratory investment. Simplist, but shit for flavor and emergent alchemy gameplay.

Hope this helps you, my dude.
>>
anyone bought/read the Castle Oldskull pdfs on sale at drivethru right now? the series looks very interesting to me but i have never heard of them before today
>>
File: bral5a1.jpg (447KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bral5a1.jpg
447KB, 1024x768px
>>53717934
>Rock of Bral

What a disappointing campaign hub. I was hoping something for something like Treasure Planet's Crescentia Spaceport, or Rogue Trader's Port Wander or something, and instead it's just some dusty ren-faire from a SoCal state park that just happens to be floating in space.
>>
File: alex-jay-brady-alex-brady-tier2b.jpg (489KB, 1920x1085px) Image search: [Google]
alex-jay-brady-alex-brady-tier2b.jpg
489KB, 1920x1085px
>>53722783
>I was hoping something for something like Treasure Planet's Crescentia Spaceport, or Rogue Trader's Port Wander or something, and instead it's just some dusty ren-faire from a SoCal state park that just happens to be floating in space.

So write it.

If not you, then who? If not now, then when?
>>
File: 76.jpg (477KB, 1143x760px) Image search: [Google]
76.jpg
477KB, 1143x760px
>>53720567
> Are there any interesting OSR alchemy systems / ideas floating around out there?
Well, there is also "random potion for each user" approach.

1) have a bunch of weird ingredients (mostly loot/monster parts)
2) use Alchemy to combine them
3) if successful - roll on table of random effects (w/ modifiers)
4) you get potion - and recipe.

Henceforth this specific Alchemist can craft the same potion with the same ingredients. Other Alchemists would get their own recipes from the same ingredients.
>>
>>53671729
>First off it means you need to know a monster's AC to attack it, completely ruining the mystery of the creature's stats.
You can just call out what AC you hit.

>he rulebook is written in legalese and I had to re-read a section 2 to 3 times to understand what the fuck it was saying and make sure I wasn't confusing what I was reading with some other part.
This is a fair criticism.

>Also no one in my group has any fucking clue where the ranged weapon damages are written down in the Player's Handbook, which is actually well-organized even if the writing is abominable.
The same place all the weapon damages are written down. As in, they're in the exact same list with "sword, long" and so forth. The very first entry in that list is "arrow".

>Wizards are weak as hell
Wizards are weak (and frankly boring) at low levels. At high levels, they're pretty badass. One way to make low-level wizards more interesting is to give them cantrips of some sort (see pic, for instance).

Overall, I'd suggest checking out Moldvay/Cook Basic (B/X). It has fewer options, but drops so much of the unnecessary bullshit that's in AD&D (not to mention the legalese). Labyrinth Lord's Advanced Edition Companion tries to combine Basic's simpler core with AD&D's options, and is made to be compatible with regular Labyrinth Lord (which is a B/X clone). It's an improvement over AD&D, but still lies somewhere in the middle between B/X and 1e, so keep that in mind.

Otherwise, you might want to check out Barbarians of Lemuria. You don't have rolling for stats or hit points, but it's really quick and simple, and does a good job of capturing a swords & sorcery feel.
>>
>>53671729
>>53725022
Oh, and it's really easy to convert THAC0 with descending AC to Attack Bonuses with ascending AC (see pic).
>>
>>53721568
Your second and third ideas both sound like the sort of direction I might want to go. Encouraging experimentation and emergent gameplay is exactly what I'm hoping to do.

I'll definitely have to look into those things. Thanks, man!
>>
Is there such thing as a time travel rpg?
>>
>>53728057

That's is OSR rpg
>>
>>53728057
>>53728074
Yeah it's "[your favorite OSR system] and that GURPS Time Travel splat"
>>
Do you use any special rules for death and dying?
>>
File: 1306735696553.gif (768KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1306735696553.gif
768KB, 400x225px
This might be a silly question, but has anyone out there done a tabletop version of a rhythm dungeon, and would that be interesting to people?

Not as a whole game, but as a gimmick dungeon (like underwater dungeons, gravity reversal, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5198bVlANY
>>
>>53723732
I already did, but that doesn't preclude me from saying that I found the original idea flacid as fuck.
>>
File: 1255473079999.gif (820KB, 654x665px) Image search: [Google]
1255473079999.gif
820KB, 654x665px
>>53728859
Bumping for more rhythm dungeon ideas. I'm almost done the post.

For example soundtracks, I've got:
Crypt of the Necrodancer OST
The Grand Budapest Hotel OST

I'm trying to think of other media that has a clear, quick, consistent tempo throughout. Pieces that have a metronome-like consistency, but also work for gaming background tracks.
>>
>>53671729

A lot of us, dare I say even most, don't like AD&D anyway, and that's why the mainstay of OSR is B/X and not AD&D, just check out Moldvay Basic DnD (B/X) or Labyrinth Lord or one of the other retroclones based off it, LotFP or ACKS or something
>>
>>53729430
>flacid as fuck
Anon, I...
>>
>>53694422
another well.
>>
File: RedDragonDance.gif (2MB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
RedDragonDance.gif
2MB, 252x200px
>>53730176
>>53728859
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-rhythm-dungeon-crypt-of-necrodancer.html

Well anyway, I posted it. If you've ever wanted to have a musical episode in your game, or you want to have your party dance through a dungeon, go check it out.

https://youtu.be/iBk8owuhNkQ
>>
I am running a Greyhawk campaign, but all of my reference material is from the 1980 Greyhawk Gazetteer. I noticed that in 585CY, some large cataclysm took place and many of the cities were destroyed. Can anyone give me a link or a rundown on what happened? The city near where my players are starting (Chathold) apparently had its population reduced from 4,789 to 0 during this event and I don't know why. I like the idea of running this campaign in 576CY and having my players' characters experience the events of the cataclysm when they are older.
>>
>>53731779
>all of my reference material is from the 1980 Greyhawk Gazetteer.
>I noticed that in 585CY, some large cataclysm took place and many of the cities were destroyed.
That's very confusing. 1980 was the year the original folio came out; there's no way there's content in that about the Greyhawk year 585.

Assuming this is some odd miscommunication, 585 implies the Greyhawk Wars, so check out the From the Ashes box set. You could also look up the Greyhawkery blog and maybe Dragonsfoot.
>>
File: 1494707746256.jpg (333KB, 969x1387px) Image search: [Google]
1494707746256.jpg
333KB, 969x1387px
>>53724322
That's a very concise way to state that approach. Thanks for posting it. I'll probably adapt it for future use.
>>
>>53731779
Probably the Greyhawk wars? They were a mess and I don't use anything from them myself, check From the Ashes. That has information on things post GH wars. Also, classy setting choice my man. It's no Birthright or Spelljammer but it's good.
>>
>>53734057
Birthjammer when?
>>
>>53734169
You could cut out the regency rules and cut bloodlines and do it planet to planet, that'd be pretty cool.
>>
>>53734169
>not playing Spellright
>>
>>53734169
>Birthjammer

So the only thing that travels faster than light is inheritance. If you're a prince and your dad dies you become the king instantly.

I bet you could use this to power a starship in a magic-rich setting.
>>
File: 8173056.jpg (74KB, 315x475px) Image search: [Google]
8173056.jpg
74KB, 315x475px
>>53734407

That book was alright.
>>
>>53734169
Wouldn't this just be a feudal colonyship?
>>
>>53734430
Being a prince has nothing to do with it, just being the chosen heir.. and assuming certain facts about the death. Besides, the Phlogeston clearly lets you travel way faster than light, as do normal spelljammer helms.
>>
Anyone here have the AS&SH Kickstarter adventures they'd be willing to share?
>>
One day I'll run a fun OSR adventure when my job schedule settles out.

One day.
>>
>>53737556
>when my job schedule settles out.
You need to start balling out of control.
Play by Skype (etc.) on company time.
>>
What bonuses do you give monsters for higher HD?

Just more health? Or to-hit and AC bonuses? Damage bonuses?
>>
File: s_s11_PIA08404.jpg (130KB, 991x668px) Image search: [Google]
s_s11_PIA08404.jpg
130KB, 991x668px
>>53734575
Sure, so a structure with quick rules for inheritance is very handy. If you can move your heirs around, you can more or less create a rotary turbine engine.

>Phlogeston clearly lets you travel way faster than light, as do normal spelljammer helms.

Ah, yes, but not all societies develop the same technologies. Also, this isn't spelljammer, it's Birthjammer.
>>
File: 1492051405268.jpg (179KB, 1280x707px) Image search: [Google]
1492051405268.jpg
179KB, 1280x707px
>>53737974
HD is just straight up HP, the way I run things. If I'm lazy, HP = HDx6. Otherwise I roll it using HDd8s.

Monsters get bonuses that make sense. Dragons are fucking strong, right? Like 20 strength? So they deal bonus damage. And their defense is at least as good as plate armor, but they are also tough as nails, so maybe they have a damage resistance of 1 or 2.

I mostly do bespoke creatures that are comparable to "good" values for other creatures. "This guy's about as strong as an ogre", "this is as squishy as an unarmoured person, but it dodges like a housefly" etc.
>>
>>53738121
Aebrynis has twin spheres, it's a rather bulbous thing that clearly fused together unnaturally at some point. The 'planet' of Aebrynis has it's Shadow World overlaid on it, so that it's nearly impossible to land directly on the planet without passing through it, thus the Cold Rider and the Seelie/Unseelie courts control access to Spelljamming. The power of bloodlines normally is weak off the world, but a special Helm has been devised that is empowered by ((Regency points)) (I don't know if there's an IC term for that, but it's effectively power gained by having a connection to the land as a scion), allowing ONLY Regents to take to Wildspace, allowing some to colonize the moon and any other planets in the sphere, away from the worries of the primary world.. or so they think, as the Fae use the extremely long mystic lines that pass through Wildspace to hop from world to world, causing yet greater mischief than they could ever wreak before!
>>
File: 1345257922354.jpg (985KB, 1676x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1345257922354.jpg
985KB, 1676x1300px
>>53738230
I'm going to be honest, I have no idea how Spelljammer works, so all that jargon means nothing to me.

I just really want to build a D&D spaceship that works by bending the hereditary energies of a special pod of 6 time-shifted heirs, whose timelines have been bent so that the last inherits from the first, trapped in six cages, killed sequentially and resurrected perpetually, to create a ship that teleports instead of sails. A thrumming cage of sorrow and crowns at it's heart.
>>
File: GtWWwE 2.1.jpg (342KB, 648x3712px) Image search: [Google]
GtWWwE 2.1.jpg
342KB, 648x3712px
>>53687298
Garden Wizard when?
>>
>>53734169
I find it interesting that everyone went in a completely different direction than my head. I heard this and instantly thought OSR Rogue Trader.
>>
File: Cornelius's wanted poster.png (4MB, 1199x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Cornelius's wanted poster.png
4MB, 1199x1599px
>>53738392
>OSR Rogue Trader

I'm not sure how that would work. The tropes, aside from the loot, are so different.

Now, OSR Rogue Trader's Special Away-Team Armsmen would work. But Rogue Trader is all about politics, swashbuckling, and fancy hats. OSR mindset doesn't support anything but the hats.
>>
File: Tolmec Myths.jpg (120KB, 1228x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Tolmec Myths.jpg
120KB, 1228x2048px
>>53738392
Soon!

>that image
Qu'est ce que fuck?
>>
File: iz9ObtY.jpg (141KB, 722x1023px) Image search: [Google]
iz9ObtY.jpg
141KB, 722x1023px
>>53738481
KonoSuba. The Megumin spinoff.
>>
File: dare you enter.jpg (89KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
dare you enter.jpg
89KB, 500x327px
>>53738502
Look, you're going to need to dumb it down another level. Despite this being a mongolian basket-weaving board, I am not hip to the latest in basket-weaving techniques.

It's neat and useful, but it reads like it was generated by a markov chain bot. And that ending...
>>
>>53738353
You better read up on it then, despite being clearly a case of 'we don't know where we want this to go', barely having a setting (relying almost entirely on the prior existing settings to fill it out), and of course, general AD&D-ness, it's got some neat ideas, critters, settings, and rules buried beneath all that. The maneuverability system of AD&D actually gets some damn use instead of just sucking dick, mages (or whatever powers the 'jammer, could be quite a few things depending on the helm type) choose between casting at the other ships/whatevers or continuing to pilot and power the ship, boarding actions in zero-g (by leaping from the gravity/air envelope of one through another and walking up the side of the ship), a classic Critical Damage table for ships.. Was pretty cool, all told, if run right. It's a LOT harder to run right than other 2e settings, though, that's for sure.
>>
>>53738481
>he fell for the thicc meme
>>
>>53738457
>SR mindset doesn't support anything but the hats.
man people in these threads lately are way too damn inflexible when it comes to traveling outside of the standard OSR concepts
>>
>>53738457
To be fair, Birthright had plenty of politics and Spelljammer plenty of swashbuckling, with both having fancy hats. I think I can make it work.
>>
File: grognard magazine.png (3MB, 2086x2486px) Image search: [Google]
grognard magazine.png
3MB, 2086x2486px
>>53738822
Eh, the best I can do is offer opinions. You can run Rogue Trader using the OSR mindset if you want to, but it seems like a weird choice when there are better options out there.

Not trying to say "badwrongfun" just "personally, I wouldn't use a hammer to put those screws in."

>>53738818
He fell so hard it was literally legendary.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (136KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
136KB, 1920x1080px
>>53738520
The "reincarnated into another world" parody where the MC gets surrounded by insufferable wastrels.
It was the best selling anime of the season for both it's seasons, despite having no budget.

Specifically, that excerpt is rom the backstory of the Wizard who casts Explosion once per day with awful timing, then collapses.

>reads like it was generated by a markov chain bot
That was translated by an actual person.
Having read extensive machine translations before, I had to re-rerad that to notice how borderline unreadable it was.

>>53738353
>killed sequentially and resurrected perpetually,
The logistics of that are crazy. How many Clerics are you planning?
It would be easier to scale it up to a Generation Ship, to grow new heirs faster than you can kill them.

>I have no idea how Spelljammer works,
A spelljamming helm is a magic chair that drains spells to propel whatever it's resting on. A spelljamming vessel is any boat with a spelljamming helm on board.
There are also lifejamming helms (coffins) powered by feeding slaves to demons, series helms (matching chairs) powered by psionics, and orbi (mutant beholders).
THE Spelljammer is a near moon-size cyborg manta-ray with a city on it's back and a sphere of annihilation in it's stinger.

The edge of any given solar system is a Crystal Sphere. You have to find an opening on it to exit. Also the "distant stars" are just small objects sitting on the sphere.
The phlogiston is a networks of flamable rainbows that span between crystal spheres. You hitch rides on them for FTL.

Objects generate "gravity planes" along their longest line and the longest line orthogonal top that line. Down is towards the plane.
The planes influence an ellipsoid shape, which usually carries a bubble of air. If two ellipsoids overlap, the less massive object's gravity plane is suppressed.
>>
File: stephen-oakley-hivemind.jpg (526KB, 1920x2087px) Image search: [Google]
stephen-oakley-hivemind.jpg
526KB, 1920x2087px
>>53738840
>The logistics of that are crazy. How many Clerics are you planning?

Ah, see, you only need one Ressurection spell if you keep it from ever completing. You can just keep it cycling round and round by changing the targets the instant before it takes full effect. Hereditary royalty moves faster than the soul, so it's OK.

You do need to feed it diamonds for the upkeep.

>It would be easier to scale it up to a Generation Ship, to grow new heirs faster than you can kill them.

Tried that. In the end, an accidental plague caused by inbreeding and an unsanitized telephone stranded the thing in deep space.

>A spelljamming helm...

Thank you for that lovely explanation. Very helpful!

>>53738837
Best of luck!
>>
>>53738889
Don't forget some of the sillier helms, like qi powered helms, bardic and priest helms, or in at least one case, literally having a frost giant longship pulled through space by white dragons.
>>
>>53738870
>Eh, the best I can do is offer opinions. You can run Rogue Trader using the OSR mindset if you want to, but it seems like a weird choice when there are better options out there.
>Not trying to say "badwrongfun" just "personally, I wouldn't use a hammer to put those screws in."
honestly these days I'd rather twist an OSR rules base to work for my needs than use 99% of all other RPG rules systems, since almost all of them have at least one issue that ruins them for me
>>
File: e1fd6-dwarvencitadel.jpg (95KB, 781x800px) Image search: [Google]
e1fd6-dwarvencitadel.jpg
95KB, 781x800px
>>53739093
Only mentioned the ones you could reasonably be expected to use, but the best silly helm was the dwarven forgehelm.

>>53738906
Speaking of which, dwarven asteroid colonies are propelled using industry as fuel. They switch to new asteroids when they run out of raw materials.
The generic spelljammer dungeons are abandoned asteroids that monsters have moved in to. Full of treasure the dwarves couldn't be assed to take with them.
Also, the dwarves carved their asteroids to look like dwarf heads.
>>
>>53739215
The generic design was a head, yes, but it could be anything! Dwarf colonies couldn't enter the Phlogeston, sadly, unless they used an artifact to power their helm. Fire goes boom, after all.
>>
File: reference.jpg (103KB, 587x333px) Image search: [Google]
reference.jpg
103KB, 587x333px
>>53738906
>unsanitized telephone
>>
>>53738870
The alternative is running Rogue Trader with the Rogue Trader system, so....
>>
File: 1496100806850.jpg (105KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1496100806850.jpg
105KB, 500x750px
>>53739625
That's a very fair point. I've had a lot of fun using Fiasco for one-shots and Fate for longer games, but that's just me.

>>53739548
heh
>>
File: maxim-verehin-pale-hair-verehin.jpg (874KB, 1920x2573px) Image search: [Google]
maxim-verehin-pale-hair-verehin.jpg
874KB, 1920x2573px
The easy-print PDF of Tomb of the Serpent Kings is done. I'll post it next thread.
>>
Use it for the OP image.
>>
>>53739933
Nice! I'm looking forward to reading it.
>>
>>53739980
OPs can't bump their own threads. That'd be a bad idea.

If someone else wants to post it as the OP image that'd be grand. Here it is. It's designed for easy printing and immediate use, not for online reading. The blog posts are much better for that.

Speaking of, this brand new post is where you should start. https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-tomb-of-serpent-kings-megapost.html
>>
>>53740058
They can as long as they aren't the most recent poster.
>>
>>53740081
Well huh, didn't know that. Again, might be a bad idea, considering. Plus I'd genuinely feel a little weird promoting my own stuff like that.
>>
>>53740058
Does Xiximanter know about the basilisks death condition? Whether anyone in (or near) the dungeon does seems worth mentioning.
>>
File: Lucifer_Liege_Luc_Viatour_new.jpg (2MB, 1998x4118px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer_Liege_Luc_Viatour_new.jpg
2MB, 1998x4118px
>>53740180
Xiximanter might know. It's how the snake-men go the basilisk to grow so big. But I'd prefer to leave it nebulous. The GM can decide if it's worth including at all.

If I listed everything Xiximanter knows or doesn't know we'd need an entire page. He's an ancient snake-man alchemist and he lives in a tomb. He knows things that make sense under the circumstances.
>>
>>53732530
Sorry, I meant that all of my physical reference material was from the 1980 release, but when looking up things online I came across the 585CY population drop.
>>
>>53740058
Just out of interest, how do you feel about Tomb of the Iron God and Tower of the Stargazer?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP53l4JJLEg
I think this video should be in the pastebin or something. It comes a good and quick breakdown of the evolution of the game starting with Braunstein. I also think the dude has a pretty balanced view on the whole Arneson v. Gygax thing.
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 92

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.