[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bgg/ Board Game General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 48

File: Board Games General 33.jpg (245KB, 528x768px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games General 33.jpg
245KB, 528x768px
It's time for another edition of /bgg/

Old thread:
>>53406694

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

> What game are you wanting to play?

> What game are you hoping to avoid?

> What (if anything) is on your 'buy soon' list?
>>
>>53495806

Apparently I'm on a 'Martin Wallace' kick. I want to play more of 'The Arrival' and I picked up a copy of 'Hit Z Road' which is a fun light-weight 4 player game where each player tries to survive a trip through a Zombie Apocalypse while collecting the most points along the way. And I'm awaiting the arrival of 'A Handful of Stars' as well.

Catan - this game just doesn't do much for me.

Hoping to find a copy of Nemo's War once the KS ships.
>>
File: tp4.jpg (60KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
tp4.jpg
60KB, 720x480px
>>53495806
>What game are you wanting to play?
The L5R reboot

>What game are you hoping to avoid?
Continuing to try and avoid any of these "big rpg in a box games" like GH or KD:M. They seem fun but pricy and there's just too much to really ever play it all.

That and I'll always try to be convincing my brother to play something other than pandemic.

>Buy list
Millennium Blades Set Rotation for personal reasons and I'd like to get SECRETS by Lang and Faidutti when it comes out so I can do a review of it (that means finding people who'll play it and let me record them too..)
>>
File: Latest_Collection.png (6MB, 1799x3135px) Image search: [Google]
Latest_Collection.png
6MB, 1799x3135px
Collection wagglan all day every day. Feel free to ask me about any of the games.
>>
>>53495991

Hows space alert?

Have you played star realms?
>>
>>53495927
>Continuing to try and avoid any of these "big rpg in a box games" like GH or KD:M.

I can related. I keep looking at 'To Many Bones' - but it's damn expensive and I haven't done enough research to know if it's really worth the the steep $$$.

>I'd like to get SECRETS by Lang and Faidutti when it comes out so I can do a review of it (that means finding people who'll play it and let me record them too..)

That sounds cool. Hopefully we'll see your work online soon.

>>53495991
What are 'Leaving Earth' and 'One Deck Dungeon' like?
>>
>>53495806
>Want to play
Chaos in the Old World
>Hope to avoid
Machi Koro
>To buy list
No money for games atm. Sad times. I'd love Kanban.
>>
>>53496170
>>53496212
Damn, you literally just asked about 3 games I got yesterday. I went to Kublacon in SF and I met the designer of Leaving Earth, saw him explain the game but didn't have the time to play because I had to go to a VtES tournament.

Leaving Earth looks reasonably simple, if I was to compare it to something I would say Power Grid. The game has reasonably simple rules but requires a lot a calculation to optimize your project. There'a a lot of small calculations and if you make a mistake, you're kinda fucked. Still, it looks like it works amazingly at creating the feel of running a huge project and every decision seems excruciating, which is what I like in my games.

I just finished reading the rulebook to One Deck and it looks like another Asmadi game, lots of cards used in a very clever way ending up with infinite replayability. It also uses dice in a clever way, I will probably play it later today and report on it.

Star Realms is a run of the mill deckbuilder. Very easy to get into, plays quickly, offers sufficient interesting choices to keep a beginner interested. I'd definitely use it to get somebody who's not into boardgames interested in the medium but seasoned players will find other games better. Personally, my favorite is Marvel Legendary because of the crazy combos.
>>
Really want to try out Kemet with a group that also hasnt played it
Anything with fucking trains
Nothing. I cant think of a single game Im hyped for. That said, I have discoveter all the most cherished games in my collection after they had been released for some time
>>
File: DSC00360.jpg (239KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00360.jpg
239KB, 1000x667px
>>53496318
>I'd love Kanban.
Kanban is great. I have no idea why people think this is Lacerda's worst game. That goes to Vinhos.
>>
>>53496410
>Damn, you literally just asked about 3 games I got yesterday.

Heh! That's always the way it works Anon. Always. Thanks for quick reviews of Leaving Earth and One Deck. Both sound interesting and I'll have to do a bit of research.

>>53496600
>I have discoveter all the most cherished games in my collection after they had been released for some time

discoveter = discovered?
>>
File: The Goggles do nothing.jpg (71KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
The Goggles do nothing.jpg
71KB, 640x480px
>>53496633
Wow! I don't know about game mechanics, but that board is overly busy graphics wise...
>>
File: cth.jpg (139KB, 872x314px) Image search: [Google]
cth.jpg
139KB, 872x314px
Which one would you recommend?

I'm looking for a cooperative game, and we like Cthulhu. Arkham Horror is out of question since it's too rules-heavy and too long.

Now, from what I've read, all of these are very similar. Which would you recommend for a group of four players, two of which are female and mostly on the amateur side when it comes to gaming.

We regularly play Lords of Waterdeep, Dead of Winter and basic stuff like Carcassonne or Catan (sometimes even Monopoly). I'm kind of partial to games with actual boards, not just cards, but if you can sell me on Elder Sign, I'm okay with it.
>>
>>53496874
Honestly, none of those. Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition blows all of them out of the water. Just save up some more money and get that.
>>
>>53497050
>google it
>app-assisted horror game

I afraid that's a deal breaker.
>>
>>53497050
>Things just happen the game
Yeah nah
>>
>>53496874
Anyone else?
>>
>>53496874
None of those, anything cthulhu is shit.
>>
File: IMG_20170529_151256149.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170529_151256149.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
Current board state, haven't even started yet. I keep getting my ass handed to me playing glorious mother Russia but I'm never going to give up on her. Never!
>>
>>53497164
I was skeptical at first but I loved the game after I tried it. I'd play that over any of the other games any given day.
>>53497264
Did you miss the part of the rulebook which explains how you can also take actions?
>>
>>53496874
I haven't played either, but I hear the consensus is that eldritch outdid elder sign.
>>
I've got an infestation of silverfish.
Any tips on keeping my games safe? Been thinking of just trying to get big ziplock bags.
>>
>>53496874
Elder sign with expansions > Eldritch horror

I prefer elder sign because its much easier to teach and has some really neat gameplay in expansions

It's also less, GO HERE THING HAPPEN which I prefer

I'd say the AH TCG is above both though.
>>
>>53498011
Give them Geekgold so they go away
>>
>>53498035
Deck building is not our cup of tea, but you actually have me interested in in ES now.
>>
>>53498011
Silverfish like damp and dark places. Get some silica dehumidifiers, ensure proper ventilation and lighting, remove or redistribute piles of books, paper and boxes. If you have old carpeting, wallpaper, ducts or drywall you may want to have a pest control guy come over, silverfish like to hang out in such places.
>>
>>53496874
Someone here plays Pandemic Cthulhu a lot and recommends it I think. I'd go for that too by process of elimination; Elder Sign is basically Cthulhu Yahtzee, if you don't mind that then it's a fine choice for something in between medium and too light, while Eldritch Horror is recommended often as *the* Cthulhu board game, but can be heavy or slow to the unfamiliar, maybe even brutal (the whole game is a bit like the death die in Dead of Winter). Pandemic is a well received title for beginners, and the Cthulhu version is apparently different enough to be worth a shot, though it is undoubtedly still Pandemic.
>>
File: silverfish-closeup.jpg (29KB, 476x289px) Image search: [Google]
silverfish-closeup.jpg
29KB, 476x289px
>>53498011
You might need an actual pest control person to come out cause those damn things are tenacious af
>>
>>53499090
>>53498368
I've given up on ever killing them.
Seen many come out of the drainage or sneak from other flats via the front door, it never ends with these guys.
I could keep my games in a sunlit and ventilated shelf maybe, but then the box art would probably decolorize.
>>
>>53498475
Nice to see you talking about me but I'd like to warn about something first.
You don't play Pandemic Cthulhu if you really enjoy the lore and atmosphere behind the original Lovecraft short stories and novels. You play it because it's a different and more interesting (for me) take on Pandemic. There's absolutely zero lore experience and very few of the mechanics you usually find in Lovecraft-based games (like using firearms, magic, events and curses). The only mechanic that is actually respected is the SAN tokens and the downsides of madness.
If the player you responded to is looking for a lore-heavy game, he might as well go for Eldritch Horror.
>>
>>53499718
Not the sun shining on the boxes themselves, you troglodyte, just good lighting in a room is enough.
Separate the shelves an inch or so from the wall, use boric acid paste traps, cover drains, let some pet geckos loose... And >>53498368 nailed the dehumidifier thing.
>>
File: frogposting45634.png (442KB, 500x712px) Image search: [Google]
frogposting45634.png
442KB, 500x712px
>>53496811
Obviously. Im a phone poster, I admit it. 2006 resident oldfag though, so I dont really feel bad about it
>>
>>53496212
Ah, I saw too many bones as well but I was worried it'd be too ameritrashy. I'm more a fan of gloomhavens puzzley battles.

And yeah secrets looks pretty fun, I won't shill my reviews round here (I've onky just started making them) but I hope one day I can at least help people make good purchases with them :)
>>
File: 1445775114248.jpg (38KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
1445775114248.jpg
38KB, 960x639px
>>53496874
From someone who has played every arkham game extensively and has sold off everything besides MoM 2nd ed and the LCG

LCG >>>> MoM 2nd ed >>Eldritch >MoM 1st edition = Arkham >>>> Elder sign (I enjoyed elder sign actuall).

They are all great games if you like ameritrash and the theme, but the LCG is undisputedly the perfected game, albeit being very expensive.
>>
>>53496212
>Too Many Bones
Chip Theory puts out amazing looking games, but there's too many reviews I've read where people come to day 4 in a scenario and then no matter what get one-shot by a mob before they get a turn. There's threads on BGG about how "this isn't a problem, but how do we fix it?" which sounds pretty sketchy. Not to mention all the reviewers who said of the Hoplo series "it feels like a light game, trying to be a tactical game". Going to give them a couple hours at Gencon to test out one or two games, but it looks like far far lighter fare dressed up with nice mats and poker chips to look heavy.
>>
>>53500441
I saw a reviewer that really liked Hoplo, but I wasn't blown away by it. As for 'To Many Bones' - yeah, I want to like it, but something has kept me from pulling the trigger on it. I can wait.
>>
>>53500523
If it was Ricky Royal don't trust him, it's like Rahdo; he only reviews games he likes, and if it's got a solo mode he loves it.
>>
Tragedy Looper, although I'd be fine with any of my heavier games.

Party games.

Sellswords. I'm trying to spend less on board games.
>>
So I played 3 Unlock! escape room game scenarios this weekend. My thoughts so far

-The Formula: "meh" puzzles and relatively obvious progression. We failed anyway because we couldn't see a really faintly printed number on the corner of one of the cards, which ruined the whole scenario for us. The final few puzzles were clever but we were pretty over it by that point. Optimal player count is 3

-The Island of Dr. Groose: very satisfying puzzles and I personally liked the pace, variety, and sense of discovery this one offers. It made us split into groups which was awkward because 1) the other team had less to do, and had to wait for us a couple times while we puzzled things out 2) there were special restrictions preventing us from looking at each others' cards, but at one point we couldn't progress without literally comparing two cards side-by-side. Other than that, I like this scenario the most and so far it's the only one I actually recommend. Optimal player count is 6

-The Elite (publisher edition, not PnP): This was smaller and weaker than the others. It felt more like busy work trying to use keys to solve obvious ciphers. There were a couple "gotcha" puzzles I liked but overall it lacks teeth. This one is good only as a starter scenario maybe. Absolutely not worth the effort to PnP imo. Optimal player count is 2.

I'm still looking forward to trying the last scenario because the Unlock system as a whole is still promising. I got these shipped to me for free so I can't really be too disappointed.

If you don't want your experience ruined wholesale by having shitty vision, I recommend turning on automatic hints. It says "for beginners," but fuck that. We're blind, not idiots. Also player count is key. Players have to take turns looking at each card, and The Elite, for example. really only requires you to look at 2 cards at a time. The player counts printed on the boxes are bunk
>>
Find a more overpriced game than five tribes
>>
>>53502963
mafia de cuba

t. some chump who just got mafia de cuba
>>
>>53502963
Amazon has it for $38 which seems reasonable, and I'm sure you can find it for cheaper somewhere else

There are some outrageously priced games on Print and Play Productions for what you get.
>>53503070
truu
>>
>>53502959
Played the tutorial and The Elite when they first released it as a promo during a BGG contest. So many people complained about how if you didn't have an ultra high rez printer you were fucked, because they had 2-3 hints that were just too faint. In my case I tested it solo with the card files split up on my computer and still had issues seeing them from 2 inches away in 1080p. The system is decent but they really need better testing to not have that kind of problem; especially since both Escape Room: The Game and Escape the Room series have been out and successful for a while now. Asmodee is way behind on this one, and while it'd be really easy to make up a pack of cards and update scenarios fast, there's no point to it if you have to run to the internet for help every time.
>>
>>53497552
this
>>
>>53503219
lol I won that contest. I actually had no problem with hidden objects on The Elite, but my cards were printed by the publisher sooo...
>>
>>53502963
MoM2
Splendor
>>
>>53502963
Kingdom Death :^)
>>
>>53503355
Glad to know someone at this /bgg/ is winning over at the other BGG; I've entered every contest there for like 2 years now and never won anything; although to be fair I got tired of having to go through kickstarters so now I just go B-C-D-C-B-A-B on all the quizzes unless it's a game I REALLY want.

As for The Elite it was the #4 hidden on the wallet (I only saw it zooming in, think my gamma was off for what they wanted), lots of printers didn't pick that up, or the red candle, making people think the kid was only 8 in the birthday photo.
>>
>>53503762
A lot of garbage games get promoted in contests so I rarely bother. This was the first one I've entered in a while

We already knew from a hint for the laptop card that the kid's birthday was the PIN. I think most people's intuition would tell them "a wallet? it must contain a photo with the date written on it." I looked up and down for maybe a good 10 seconds but I knew something had to be there.
>>
>>53504087
Oh I don't enter because I want to win, I enter because it's free kickstarter pledges if you do win, and that's just math trade fodder for later. So much meh plastic on those contests.
>>
>>53496874
out of those, Pandemic Cthulhu.

Supposedly Mountains of Madness by Rob Daviau is coming out this year. It's supposed to be a lighter party game but still worth a look
>>
>>53500588
Heh! I think it was Ricky Royal IIRC.
>>
>>53504267
>wanting to play anything by Daviau after Seafall
Fool me once anon, shame on you. Fool me twice...
>>
File: boardgamesdotpng.png (4MB, 1763x2288px) Image search: [Google]
boardgamesdotpng.png
4MB, 1763x2288px
add 2/burn 2/steal 2
>>
>add
Pax Pamir: Khyber Knives
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion
>steal
Heroquest
An Infamous Traffic (is that pnp or published edition btw?)
>burn
flash point
>>
>>53505349
>>53505089
>>
File: 1372102361161.jpg (121KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1372102361161.jpg
121KB, 600x450px
>>53505089
>add
Something dexterity based, what do you play drunk at the bar? Rhino Hero/Bling Bling Gemstone depending if you'd rather have cheap or unbreakable. Also something else to buff up your 2p offerings, anything from the Kosmos line but since you seem to like theme LotR: The Confrontation.
>steal
Magic and Heroquest, then sell them and get something I want more
>burn
Coup and Skull didn't even have to look at the rest; you shouldn't pay IB&C for as anorexic a game as Coup (and I love IB&C for making Flashpoint/Resistance) and you should definitely not be giving money to French bankers for Skull, that's a game where you should have your creative gf/bf/spouse/kid/niece/nephew/sibling/underprivileged mentee making a custom set out of coaster and a set of markers.

>>53505349
>burning Flashpoint
I know the dice are scary and don't let you plan perfectly like Pandemic; that's a good thing
>>
>>53505349
I filtered out expansions from my collection because I'm an expansion whore, but I do have both of those already! Haven't done enough plays of Pax Pamir with other people to mix the expansion in yet, even though it definitely looks like it wouldn't add too much complexity

AIT is the published edition, it was beautifully ironic that it was the first package that I had ever received with an Australian Border Force inspection notice which made me laugh

it was most likely because of the very fresh and strong scent of the ink
>>
Hey a new board game came out and it's about dark souls but i can't find anything on it. Do any of you guys know where i can buy that? i'd appreciate the help.
>>
>>53502963

Skull

It costs 30bucks and its just recolored coasters

thanks asmodee
>>
>>53505788
It was a Kick Starter, so you'll have to do a google search on Dark Souls & K.S. It's 'OK' if you are in love with the theme. But it seems overly long on the 'grind' portion working up to a Boss fight, only then to have a long grind to kill the Boss. YMMV.
>>
What's the consensus on 3D printing bootleg miniatures?
>>
>>53507379
Well you have to ask yourself, would you 3D print a car?
>>
>>53507379
Are you scanning and then printing the exact minis from an existing game? Because that's pretty shitty. Granted the artists aren't getting a cut out of sales (hell FFG artists have stated they get paid way less doing work for the publisher than they do in any other job) but if the game doesn't sell they're not getting picked up for another commission creating more sculpts.

If it was a KS exclusive though? Go fucking nuts and flood the market; that shit needs to be murdered. If it's out of print or you're just doing something generic? No real harm there either.
>>
>>53507379
Well that depends. How good are the bootlegs, and how many are you giving me?
>>
>>53505089

Shit, there's a game based on italian cannibal movies ?

I've always wanted a game based on Fulci's surrealist horror movies. When ?
>>
>>53507450
>but if the game doesn't sell they're not getting picked up for another commission creating more sculpts.

but half the time a game not selling has nothing to do with the minis itself.
>>
>Someone hosts Khronos Hunter on TTS
>oin it
>Literally the first time playing
>Have only the faintest clue of what's going on
>Gather 100 mana and win the game even before I pass go for the first time

I have no idea what happened, but the table was flipped
>>
>>53495991

Is troyes better worker placement than waterdeep+skullport?
>>
Now that the dust has settled, was Scythe ever nothing more than a mediocre eurogame with cool?
>>
>>53511015

*cool art
>>
>>53505089
>/steal 2
Cave Evil, and Triumph & Tragedy.
>>
>>53511015
Not that I've seen. In spite of all the hype from the designer about it being '4x like', it seems like a fairly bog-standard Euro game with 'a bit' of combat thrown in. Most folks who have played it point out that going combat heavy is not a terribly viable choice to win the game.
>>
>>53511163
Who cares about 'combat', you sperg.
>>
>>53505089
steal cave evil and warcults

add ta-seti and tzolk'in

burn one night ultimate normie and coup
>>
>>53511015
>>53511028
>cool art

it look like low res photos and the lettering, proportions is all over the place. horrible looking game, the hexes also do not seem to mesh properly with the map, it's jarring.
>>
>>53511163
>standard Euro game with 'a bit' of combat thrown in
Pretty much what everyone I've played it with has said; which is sad we already had a euro with combat in the SoA game that came out a couple years back, even better it's stupid cheap and clearanced all the time. Stonemaier does a very good job with components, and they seem to have figured out how to make interesting euros, but if Jamie wants to make a 4X or something theme heavy and Ameritrashy he needs to partner with someone new, or just bring in a different designer for it altogether.
>>
>>53511015
Scythe is pretty good and definitely rates highly among eurogames.
>>
>>53511301
Considering that the 'designer' hyped it as a "4x like" game - anyone who bought it with that in mind 'cares about combat' since it's a primary tenant of 4x games.
>>
File: siHe9du.png (498KB, 1548x395px) Image search: [Google]
siHe9du.png
498KB, 1548x395px
My small and humble starter collection. Any suggestions based on this? Im planning to get terraforming mars later this year and caverna/agricola/le havre ( still dont know which one )
>>
>>53510980

Troyes isn't worker placement as such, but it sure as hell is a far better game.

Unless you play with faggots who won't look at a eurogame unless it has a pasted on fantasy theme.
>>
>>53514287
>Any suggestions based on this?

What type of games do you / your group enjoy?
Co-operative
Direct competition (American style conflict games)
Indirect competition (Euro style games)
War games
etc
>>
>>53510980
Agree with the other Anon, definitely not worker placement but a much better game. The combos you can pull off in Troyes if you're good at the game are only rivaled by Castles of Burgundy.
>>
>>53514872
Euros , Direct and Coops

For 1(2)-5 players
>>
I'm wondering when, if ever, Asmodee/FFG is going to cash in their last bit of good-will from their customer base.

I keep hearing more and more dissent and frustration with overpriced/overproduced games, incomplete 'core sets' for their LCGs, bloating expansions on numerous games, and how literally nothing from FFG contains enough dice/counters to actually comfortably play a full game.
>>
>>53514947
Probably never. LCG morons keep complaining and still fall into the same money trap for their next card game. The production costs are so low for these you can always keep them around even if the player base is small.
>>
>>53514947
New customers are finding them every day. As long as the hobby expands faster than they piss off old customers, they profit. There are signs that they're looking harder for new business though (SW Destiny, the failed euro spinoff). Pretty soon they'll have the L5R folks who were starved by AEG.
>>
>>53511015
I found it more than mediocre. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly a good one.

>>53511163
I think the big point isn't that combat is good, but that the threat of combat is good. A lot of combat will sink you, but a bit of strategic combat can advance your position and hurt your opponents, so they have to be careful about giving you those opportunities.

Some folks don't like that, though, and that's reasonable.
>>
>>53511015
I don't think it's mediocre, it's a pretty good game that was overhyped (probably because of the art.)
>>
>>53514947
They currently straddle the LCG niche the best out of all the companies so not for a long time.
>>
>>53505788
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/241047
>>
Most of the games in my collection - I've fallen victim to the "cult of the new" a few times
CAH, Exploding Kittens, Dark Souls
I might pick something up at the UK Games Expo, but I can't really say I desperately need anything
>>
>>53518665
I genuinely can't understand the hype over Exploding Kittens. Why did anyone think it was going to be good?
>>
>>53519195
Apparently the artist had a bit of a fan base from way back, and internet memes sell well to normies who think they're funny.
>>
>>53519195
Munchkin audience+Webcomic fanbase
>>
>>53514287
How's Jaipur?
>>
>>53505788
Don't. The boss fights can be fun, but the part before that is painfully dull. You don't really make any big decisions, just slow and steady go from room to room grinding for 2/3rds of the LONG playtime. Once you do get to the boss, it's painful losing because of bad dice chucks which I could take if it didn't take so fuckin long to get there making you do so much.
>>
>>53520264
>>53520454
I like Gunnerkrigg Court but I wouldn't expect something made by Tom Siddell to be any good. Game design and comic design are totally different animals.

The Munchkin crowd explanation makes sense, though. I guess I just didn't think that people who need to tell someone else's jokes to be funny were that big a market.
>>
>>53497652
To survive as Russia you will need the US and GB to step it up in China and/or India to keep Japan out of your asswhole. Then hunker down and make Germany pay for every inch of Russian soil they take!
>>
>>53515265
>I think the big point isn't that combat is good, but that the threat of combat is good. A lot of combat will sink you, but a bit of strategic combat can advance your position and hurt your opponents, so they have to be careful about giving you those opportunities.

This is a sound description of how the game 'actually plays' and I don't think most folks would have an issue with it. The problem was the initial hype during the KS made it sound like the game was a 'Steampunk-fantasy' version of a 4x game like Eclipse with better political mechanics and more intrigue. I think this resulted in a lot of disappointed folks once the game first hit market. As a Euro game I'd say it's solid. But as a '4x like' game - not so much.
>>
>>53505516
I have considered Rhino Hero and would be great to pick up the giant version, lack of theme isn't exactly a deal-breaker for me but it would be nice to have a simple 2P game like Jaipur

I like Coup for what it is, an incredibly simple player-driven filler game though I have pre-ordered Bemused (which admittedly costs a lot more due to shipping) and am really curious to see if it can be played in 15 minutes like one reviewer mentioned

>>53508428
Ferox is certainly an interesting game to say the least, it's an asymmetrical 2P game where the main gimmick apart from the fantastic theme is that actions are spent with a resource called rage where you give the amount the action costs to the other player, and there are only 11 cubes to represent rage. You can never have less than 1 rage or more than 10 rage, but it can lead to situations where you're sitting around doing nothing for a few turns while waiting for the other player to draw the card they want to play, though you could spin it into something thematic as imagining the other player wanting to prepare an ambush.

Artwork is fucking amazing though, and doesn't hold back in the slightest, I'll get some photos when I get a chance

Fulci-themed board game would be the tits, love your tastes anon

>>53511424
Have Ta-Seti already and love black pyramids, need to play Tzolkín before buying because I'm incredibly ambivalent towards worker placement games in general
>>
>>53520636
It's the premiere game to play on maglev trains.

Also it's a really good two player economic game.
>>
>>53525160
Is there a game that would be close to Jaipur for 3 players?
>>
>>53495806
>What (if anything) is on your 'buy soon' list?

Kemet but I can't find it

Five Tribes but it's ludicrously expensive + no slaves

Forbidden Desert

Yokohama maybe
>>
>>53525514
Archeology the New Expedition? Push your luck, set collection/selling, plays fast.
>>
>>53500260
>I won't shill my reviews round here (I've onky just started making them) but I hope one day I can at least help people make good purchases with them :)

I'll read them, anon
>>
>>53496600
>fucking trains
l-lewd anon
>>
>>53497652
What game is this?
>>
>>53500821
I've wanted to buy Sellswords too
>>
>>53527681
I'm just gonna buy it, it's like $15.
>>
>>53527542
Oh thank you. I haven't written any reviews yet though, I've only made one video review of Splendor. Which I don't think is really worthy posting because pretty much everyone has played it. Maybe when I manage to get something new or kinda unknown I will.
>>
File: Battlelinemedretheme04.jpg (131KB, 1200x694px) Image search: [Google]
Battlelinemedretheme04.jpg
131KB, 1200x694px
Anyone else planning to order the limited reprint of Roland's battle line medieval in June?
Contemplating whether or not to get 2 copies since he insists it'll be the final print.
>>
>>53531240
Where can I get it from?
>>
File: kickstarter.jpg (41KB, 635x292px) Image search: [Google]
kickstarter.jpg
41KB, 635x292px
So what's your backer history?
>>
>>53531447
http://rolandsrevenge.com/battle-line/
You need to sign up to have early access to the indegogo campaign (and to know when it comes up) only 400 copies being made, so worth signing up so you don't miss it.
>>
>>53531598
> kickstarter
Kill yourself, you're wasting my hamster's oxygen.
>>
File: huppisjuome.jpg (51KB, 785x644px) Image search: [Google]
huppisjuome.jpg
51KB, 785x644px
>>53531598
>500 dollars on an unreleased game
>>
>>53531240
why should I do this? Sell me on this game anon. I don't have money to piss away like >>53531598
>>
>>53532014
>He hasn't played battle line

It's a redo/make/alternate art of a classic Knizia game called Battle-Line/Schotten Totten

It's kinda like a classic set/trick card game but is a head to head 2 player game. You should check it out.
>>
File: mechs-vs-minions-1200x630.jpg (893KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
mechs-vs-minions-1200x630.jpg
893KB, 1200x630px
So after the hype or autistic rage died down a bit, how is the game?
I hear only good things about it from people around me but I haven't gotten to play it yet.

Is it good? I heard it does programming and co-op gameplay exceptionally well.
>>
>>53505089
>t. Brad Talton Jr.
>>
>>53531980
Mythic Battles is fucking great. Got to play a couple demo games and it was so much fun.
>>
>>53529246
Let me know when you do make more, I'm very interested in listening to them
>>
>>53532104
>league of legends

it's shit
>>
>>53532197
Was it more fun than 20 other games you could have bought for the money?
>>
>>53523119
Yeah, I'd be pretty mad if I thought I was getting a 4X. It's like 2.5X at best, and that's just adding up the various half-Xs.
>>
>>53533007
I don't know. I just always wanted a miniatures game and never found one that I felt was perfect for me until I found MB. Love the theme, love the combat and mechanics, love the minis. Took me a couple weeks to convince myself to shell out so much money but I don't regret it. Some people spend hundreds if not thousands on Warhammer minis. Well, for me that's MB. Luckily I had the money to spare and didn't have to make any cuts or compromises.
>>
>>53532896
Ok anon, I'll be sure to shill one of them here sometime
>>
What is the busiest/confusing at first glance board game board you've ever seen?
>>
File: high frontier.jpg (2MB, 3600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
high frontier.jpg
2MB, 3600x2400px
>>53533719
Pretty sure nobody can top that.
>>
>>53532104
Some of the scenarios are good and some of the scenarios are okay. The action drafting and programming system itself is great. I don't like how it scales for 2 player but other than that it's a great game for anyone, not just LoL fans
>>
File: cancer list.png (232KB, 1067x2174px) Image search: [Google]
cancer list.png
232KB, 1067x2174px
>>53531598
Rate my cancer anons.
>>
>>53533840
What I would have posted.

I would also probably say monopoly at first glance would look confusing if you had been introduced to an actual game beforehand
>>
File: a38.jpg (67KB, 1024x962px) Image search: [Google]
a38.jpg
67KB, 1024x962px
>>53534918
>Bee and Puppycat
I can only pity you anon.
>>
File: KS garbage.png (151KB, 449x2442px) Image search: [Google]
KS garbage.png
151KB, 449x2442px
>>53531598
>>53534918
Good, someone to make me look reasonable.
>>
>>53535288
How many do you regret?
>>
>>53532104
Yes, it's overproduced. Yes, it's light. Yes, Riot is shit and LoL is cancer.

The game itself is fun, the action programming is done well, the campaign mode is pretty immersive and the unlockables add variety.
Some scenarios are too easy, just require you to survive until your command line is powerful enough. Some houseruling can fix this.

Overall I'd rate it a 7.5/10 for the game and a 10/10 for presentation.
>>53534274
>scaling for 2 players.
Each player gets 2 characters, problem solved.
>>
>>53535327
Planetary Annihilation. Just doesn't scratch the TA itch right for me.
Still haven't finished Pillars of Eternity, but that's more on me than the game, I think.
Star Patrol delivered two years late and has terribly-written rules.

But that's about it, really. I'm mostly really happy with everything else. The ones that haven't delivered yet are of course still up in the air.
>Clash of Steel
>Entropy
>Tortuga
>Chameleon Pens (wife)
>Giga-Robo
>Midair (Don't know if this will live up to my expectations for a Tribes-Alike, but hey whatever)
>Battletech
>Treasure Chest (wife)
>Divinity: OS2 (I guess it's in early access, but I'm not touching it until release)
>>
>>53529246
Find a game in your collection from 2010 or before, most reviews from that era are pretty low quality production. Lots of older games people hear are amazing, or they see in Top 10/50/100 lists or must own buy lists, but the reviews are dated. If you want to do a few practice ones that'd be a good place to start.
>>
>>53496212
Ok, I just played One Deck Dungeon and Asmadi didn't disappoint, lots of interesting choices, plenty of clever mechanisms and the game was very engaging. I don't know about replayability but this looks like it might replace Friday as my go to travel game.
>>
>>53534918
> Backs Lightsail
> Doesn't actually get his own spacecraft:

WTF!?! Anon...
>>
>>53535288
STEEV, you got a Brazillian cards for Coup? How do you carry them all?
>>
>>53536117
Cool! Thanks for the follow up. (And apologies for hitting the 2 new games you haven't even played yet - go figure.)
>>
File: SI.jpg (835KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
SI.jpg
835KB, 2048x1152px
>>53536278
>How do you carry them all?
In ways you wouldn't expect.
>>
>>53534966
It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I still liked it.
>>
>>53532104
It's actually a really good game. Production values aside, coop programming is pretty fun and I like the scenarios past the first 2 or 3 that act as tutorials pretty much are a lot of fun. I like that they included a hard mode for all their scenarios, and it plays pretty smoothly.

Fairly light and simple for how ridiculous it's production values are, but I wouldn't pass up playing it if the group asks me to pull it out.
>>
>>53534918
More money than sense.
>>
>>53531598
A bunch of 3DTotal games, Braggart, Thrash 'n' Rule... can't think of anything else, but I wish I'd backed Fishy Tactics.
>>
>>53533840
How even do people get into this game?
>>
File: le neckbeard.png (233KB, 969x648px) Image search: [Google]
le neckbeard.png
233KB, 969x648px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/450201684/le-neckbeard-a-casual-card-game-for-casuals

Irony has gone too far.
>>
File: magic realm.jpg (22KB, 235x300px) Image search: [Google]
magic realm.jpg
22KB, 235x300px
Reprint fucking when?
>>
>>53535725
Seconding this
>>
>>53541063
Kek
>>
>>53527628
Axis and Allies
>>
>>53532136
I won't lie, I do have Millennium Blades + expacs and RESISTOR_ on order from Miniature Market and I'm really looking forward to Trials of Indines, Seventh Cross, Empyreal and some of their upcoming small box games. I may or may not pick up Tomb Trader

>>53541067
I'm completely torn on wanting this and there's a decently priced copy local to me on BGG market, but I'm almost certain that I'll never ever get to play it with anyone else :(
>>
File: thething-gbtop.jpg (525KB, 2000x1377px) Image search: [Google]
thething-gbtop.jpg
525KB, 2000x1377px
Can this be any more of a low effort?

I wish there was a thing game where you saw it gaining space but not being sure whether a player has become it or not.
>>
How varied is flashpoint fire rescue?
>>
>>53541067
Needs to have a subtitle
>Dare you enter?
>>
File: pit deluxe.jpg (53KB, 310x450px) Image search: [Google]
pit deluxe.jpg
53KB, 310x450px
Has anyone every tried playing Pit? I played it for the first time tonight and it was a blast. We got through about three games in about 20 minutes (including the rule explanation). The game is incredibly hectic and fast paced with no down time, I can't wait to play again
>>
>>53536310
No problem dude, hit me up if you have any more questions. I started reading Leaving Earth's rulebook but it looks like it might take more time to get through. Not that it's difficult, it looks simple enough after 10 pages but there are just a lot of very logically explained rules.
>>
File: 1333123773223.jpg (187KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1333123773223.jpg
187KB, 500x500px
God damn the arkham horror lcg is good. Haven't had this much fun with a game since I was first getting into the hobby. People are constantly complaining here about ffg being jews but the quality of this product is so fucking high Od honestly be willing to pay a bit more.
>>
>>53546598
No Whizzard, I hope.
>>
>>53549743
Now if only FFG stopped being fuckwads and sold a booster pack with all the cards missing from the core set...
>>
>>53549743
Why couldn't they add even a shitty quality bag for the tokens? Ffs, this isn't rocket science, if your product requires a component to play then you put it in the box.
>>
>>53545891
What do you mean low effort? We don't even know yet how the game's gonna play.
>>
>>53549961
Most games don't come with token/chit holders though? All I can think of are scythe collecters edition and...actually thats it
>>
>>53549961
>>53550497
Ooh you said bag. Thought you meant token tray for some reason. I thought it did come with a bag? I build foam core inserts/trays for all of my games anyways
>>
>>53550497
Roll for the galaxy comes with a bag for all of the tiles.
>>
>>53550497
Games I own that came with drawstring bags:
Carcassonne, Five Tribes, Keyflower, Evolution, Tigris & Euphrates, Love Letter, Jungle Speed, The Duke, Thunderstone Advance Numenera

You can use whatever to randomize draws; bowls, bags, cups. I don't think it's a faux pas not to include a bag, but it's nice attention to detail.
>>
>>53549961
Just use a sock
>>
>>53545944

the random fire elements makes it kinda different everytime you play it, theres alot of expansions too if the core game gets stale
>>
>>53495806
>> What game are you wanting to play?
Twilight imperium, Rex
>> What game are you hoping to avoid?
Spartacus and zombicide (any zombie related game actually)
>> What (if anything) is on your 'buy soon' list?
bit stuck at this point. Thinking on expanding silver tower with exotic adversaries minis or buying Level 7: omega protocol. Or Darkness Comes Rattling.
>>
>>53550744
Aha! I wondered why I kept finding only one sock out of a pair of socks after doing the wash. You bastid!
>>
>>53549743
good goy

why don't you send them bit more in an envelope
>>
>>53552874
Anon - you forgot your Bio-pic. Let me help you out.
>>
>>53552874
You forgot "muh 2 cores" and "boycott assmodee dx"
>>
I've already got Cosmic Dominion, what other CE expansion should I grab? I can't remember which one was recommended a little while ago.

Also looking for recommendations for 2 player games. I've got Hive and Battlecon.

>>53553065
The 2 cores thing is indefensible though.
>>
>>53555718
Doesn't make it a very worn out argument. It's understood why FFG do it wether it's shitty or not.
>>
>>53552963
>>53553065
some good content there, do you gentlemen have patreons i can donate too? i feel that i'm leaving you at a disadvantage by merely reading your posts.
>>
File: 1477339495186.png (55KB, 300x126px) Image search: [Google]
1477339495186.png
55KB, 300x126px
>>53555877
Worn out arguments are still legitimate.
Then again, why should FFG change their practices when their fans will defend their actions tooth and nail?
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/135882-solution-to-buying-multiple-core-sets/
>You're just too poor
>I'm fine with it so that means it's ok
>>
>>53555718
Incursion for sure. Dont teally need any others unless you play A LOT
>>
>Order game
>Wait for package all day refreshing the tracking page
>Too scared to go outside and miss the postman
>>
File: 1473285651644.jpg (44KB, 574x382px) Image search: [Google]
1473285651644.jpg
44KB, 574x382px
>>53556030
Its a good game that has provided me much more entertainment/value when compared to a ccg and other board games. Id rather be spending $15 a month on a good 2 hour plus campaign and new cards (which arent fucking random) to my collection then spend $50/ a month drafting/playing modern/buying a new board game ill maybe play 3 times a year.

I Honestly think the only people who so avidly hate this game are poorfags and euro tryhard autists
>>
>>53556030
>Let me just grab the opinion of the kind of people who would post on a fucking companies forum.
>>
>>53556176
see
>>53556127
>>
>>53556030
Consumers will use these kinds of arguments to convince themselves their choices are worth the investment even when they're not so they can feel good about buying stuff they may or may not be totally satisfied with. So basically if they get a shitty deal they'll lie to themselves abouit how good the deal was so they feel happy and avoid remorse.
It's called choice-supportive bias.
>>
>>53556030
Arkham is great for this business model because its not a tournament/competitive game. You can enjoy the game a lot with 1 core + expansions. Also the additional tokens in the second core are necessary for 3+ player so really when you buy a 2nd core all you are throwing away is ~80 scenario cards.
>>
>>53556195
What's your point there? Ignoring his last buzzword filled retard splurge he's right in that it's good value for money entertainment wise
>>
>>53556257
It's literally just
>You're just too poor
>I'm fine with it so that means it's ok
>>
>>53556127
Not hating on the game brah, I legitimately believe most LCGs are solid and fun.
I've sunk a couple hundred bucks on Netrunner, and still I will most definitely NOT buy a motherfucking second core.
>>
>>53555718
>2 cores
Proxying is a thing, especially for the co-op LCGs.
>>
File: 200.0_percent_bothered.gif (2MB, 279x350px) Image search: [Google]
200.0_percent_bothered.gif
2MB, 279x350px
>>53556205
How do you measure the value to time spent playing ratio of your purchases? I owm over 50 games and arkham lcg is by far my current favorite at the moment.

Ive spent around $190 on 2 cores+ all expansions and edxpacs. Ive played through the core 4 times now with 3 different groups for around ~15 hours

Standalone packs each twice for ~7 hours

Dunwhich 3 times through with 3 groups and once solo for ~ 40 hours

That's 62 hours total for less than $200. Thats $3.06/hour, and that ratio will only go down with future releases. I guess some jrpg/mmos/survival games might have a better price to cost ratio could be seen as a better deal, but I think The "This game sucks because its a rip off!" argument is ridiculous.
>>
>>53556205
>Consumers will use these kinds of arguments to convince themselves they're making the right decisions in choosing what to buy. So basically if they can't afford something they'll lie to themselves about how bad the game is or how the publisher is screwing over its customers, so they feel happy and avoid remorse.
>It's called choice-supportive bias.
>>
File: 1493274114799.jpg (35KB, 523x452px) Image search: [Google]
1493274114799.jpg
35KB, 523x452px
>>53556407
>>
>>53555718
>2 player games
Stronghold.
STRONGHOLD.
>>
>>53556385
>I think The "This game sucks because its a rip off!" argument is ridiculous.
Good thing no-one here said that.
The complaint here is that forcing people to buy 2 or 3 copies of the core set just to get a full playset is ridiculous.
>>
>>53556385
See, in your eyes it's worth it, so you automatically dismiss any opinions that do not match your own and reinforce your own choice by detailing subjective experiences regarding your purchase.
We're all subjected to bias, it's our brain trying to keep us from going batshit insane over trivial things.
>>
Would you classify Red Dragon Inn as an LCG? Would you classify it as a MOBA?
>>
File: BrynVictorious.png (583KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BrynVictorious.png
583KB, 1200x1000px
>>53556537
>lcg
No it's just a standalone series of expansions
>MOBA
Are you thinking of the wrong game?
>>
>>53556471
See, in your eyes it's a rip off, so you automatically dismiss any opinions that do not match your own and reinforce your own choice by detailing subjective experiences regarding your restraint from purchase.
We're all subjected to bias, it's our brain trying to keep us from going batshit insane over trivial things.
>>
>>53556407
Yes, choosing not to buy something may also be subjected to choice-supportive bias.
>>
>>53556687
Then stop using it to dismiss opinions that do not support your choice-supportive bias.
>>
>>53556515
Checkd
>>
>>53556778
Knock yourself out, I'm still not buying a second core.
>>
>>53555718
Star Realms, Onitama, Tak, Jaipur, Jab
>>
File: IMG_20170601_202605.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170601_202605.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
You have a custom stand in for pawns... Right anon?
>>
File: GFk0sPN.jpg (107KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
GFk0sPN.jpg
107KB, 1280x854px
So it appears Alliance is now the exclusive distributor for Asmodee NA...
>>
>>53559447
Already? I wasn't expecting this for another 6 months; guess it's time to go over to BGG and watch the poo flinging.
>>
>>53552235
The fantasy based zombicide looks cool I wanna give Black Plague and green horde a shot they look legit as shit
>>
LotR LCG, Arkham Horror LCG.
Shitloads of content to go through.

Castles of Burgundy. Horrible, soul-less game.

More LotR LCG expansions, Codex, Inis, expansions for Cthulhu Wars.
>>
How is 7 wonders?

I have a chance to get 7w duel so I'm wondering whether any of these games are any good, especially 7wonders. And why.
>>
World in Flames with few add ons, etc.

End of turn for Sept/Oct '43, I'm playing Russians, +2 on initiative for next turn.

Germany failed to reach Bakuu (oil and Turkish entry on Axis side). Russian counter attack took Kiev and is going to push south all winter. This should cut off nearly every armor/mech corps in Russia, all but those in France and Italy. Most reinforcements this turn are infantry, with mech and armor coming in spring. due to not using Planes in Flames, air battles have the Luftwaffe at 7 air units in all Russia to my 12, mostly old POS (3 are from the 30s). I add 5 each of the next 3 turns, but the Brits just landed in Denmark and German fighters have to counter bombing now. Americans are ashore in S France and N Italy (no crawl up the boot). Our biggest problem is we have only destroyed about two dozen German land units all game.
>>
File: U_srs.jpg (10KB, 304x302px) Image search: [Google]
U_srs.jpg
10KB, 304x302px
>>53560468
>CoB is bad
Fite me fgt.
>>
>>53561047
Duel is pretty much a better 7 wonders, but onky for 2p

It's pretty much just a drafting game
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (255KB, 1294x801px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
255KB, 1294x801px
Jesus Christ this guy is virtue signalling so hard he broke my radar
>>
>>53561068
I just took a look at both and I don't like the theme, the mechanics, don't like it at all. Thanks anon.
>>
>>53559447
>>53559569
Non-burgerclapper here, who's Alliance and what's the problem with them?
>>
>>53561189
I'm not skimming through an hour of his hyperactive, directionless, wife-appeasing nonsense anon, what's he have to say about 5 Tribes?
>>
>>53561421
He's *literally shaking* over doubleplusungood slavery card and berating the developers for including it.
>>
>>53561358
Asmodee taking further steps into monopolizing all distribution channels for boardgames in North America.
>>
>>53561553
Can some of you guys give some pointers to the economic side of board games? There should be an infographic. All I know is that FFlight games are disgusting overpriced shallow shit and that spiel des jahres doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>53561486
Lmao
>>
>>53561358
Alliance is a big distributor for gaming products, comic books, collectable sports trading cards, etc. They have an unfortunate reputation for being dicks to smaller independent stores, as well as jacking up prices, giving preferential treatment to some customers when it comes to limited release materials, etc.
>>
>>53561486
Holy Jebus - imagine if he watched any of the old black-n-white 'Sinbad' movies. "ZOMG! Slavery in fantasy 'not Arabia'. Unpossible! BAD WRONG FUN!!!" He'd have to change his undies twice!

(Apparently it's OK to enslave fictional supernatural entities like Djinn. But not fictional human beings. Right...)
>>
>>53562580
The Djinn don't try and crucify you on the internet for playing games that let you enslave them.
For some reason.
Probably immortality lends itself to greater levels of maturity.
>>
Well, I'll be at the Expo in about 10 hours or so. Probably won't buy many games, except for anything reduced/reasonably priced that catches my eye. Hell, I'm not even selling many games at the Bring & Buy this year - it's mostly sci-fi/fantasy books of varying quality I read once/will never read.

I'll probably waggle my purchases at you all when I get back on Sunday, so try to carry on without me as best you can...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEzwTPPHx50
>>53540403
Oh, and the Thunderbirds and Ghostbusters games, of course.
>>53559065
No, but I do want to play 404: Law Not Found with some of those Z-Bots I bought off eBay a while back.
>>
>>53562580
>>53561486
Watch wheaton and those britbongs freak even more about it. Wheaton pretended the card wasn't what it was. The english fag pushed them away in disgust.

Best part is, wheaton had Satine Phoenix (who swallowed more piss than some people drank water) with him and he got disgusted by a piece of paper.
>>
>>53547867
I've played it, and it's pretty thin. It's a decent frantic party game, don't get me wrong, but I'm seldom in the mood for that, and when I am I prefer Anomia.
>>
File: asmodee's web.jpg (184KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
asmodee's web.jpg
184KB, 400x534px
>>53561604
>1/2

>spiel des jahres doesn't mean anything
Not entirely true, but some years you have to wonder how the voters messed up so bad.

>Economic stuff
Asmodee (80% owned by Eurazeo, the french bankers people talk about) currently owns the following publishers/design houses
>Asmodee Editions - Dixit, 7 Wonders, Cash n Guns, loads more
>FFG - ameritrash, x-wing, formerly Warhammer partnership
>Days of Wonder - TtR, Quadropolis, Five Tribes, Memoir 44
>Plaid Hat (F2Z) - Ashes, Dead of Winter
>Z-Man Games (F2Z) - Pandemic, Terra Mystica, Carc (lots of other english editions of EU games)
>Catan Studios - DUH (they created it when they bought the property from Mayfair)
There's also a bunch of smaller studios under the main Asmodee label (Libellud, Space Cowboys, Repos, Ystari) which are just spin offs to act more as design labels than the source of capital/connections/distribution. On top of which they have distribution partnerships with CMoN, CGE, Indie Boards & Cards, Mayday, Wizkids, and more (pic related is their ownership/partnerships)
>>
>>53563877
>2/2
Asmodee North America (ANA) is currently headed by Christian T Petersen, a man who is truly the epitome of dickhead. He's also the main designer of Twilight Imperium, and created his company by bringing that game to convention after convention, selling it, hyping stuff like Gencon, and now using his connections and the power of his company (FFG and now ANA) to bully conventions into signing deals where retailers are strongly discouraged from bringing his games (no joke I saw 3 booths that had X-wing last year, and CSI doesn't bring ANY FFG that aren't ding/dent and hardly any of them at all). During the big OGS vs FLGS shakeup last year, he was asked why raise the price to online stores
>we're not raising prices, we're just reducing their wholesale discount through the distributor
Ok well why do it?
>we want to encourage the success of local stores, which is why brick and mortar only stores will get bigger discounts
Aren't you just fucking over people? They can't sell in both? Do you expect prices to rise across the board because of this
>Yes

There's plenty of articles around the web on it but here's just a couple, SUSD had a decent writeup, BGG had technical info but the writer is an apologist for how this is GOOD for customers, so be aware he puts a rosy spin on it.

>http://www.mechanics-and-meeples.com/2016/02/08/asmodee-the-other-creature-that-ate-the-gaming-world/
Old info (pre F2Z merger)
>https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/33369/icv2-interview-asmodee-north-america-ceo-christian-petersen-part-2
Dickbags gonna dickbag
>>
>>53563877
>>53563896
thanks a lot anon.
>>
>>53563896
>twilight imperium

So a furry is in charge of most of world's boardgames. Do those outlets have a stable of designers or do they hire based on pitches?
>>
>>53556428
Is stronghold spouse-friendly? She likes social deduction but has also endured/enjoyed mid-level euro and ameritrash (keyflower, roll ftg, dead of winter, mom2)
>>
>>53514491
Best Euros have medieval theme.
Rec more./
>>
>>53564505
>Do those outlets have a stable of designers or do they hire based on pitches?
Both, smaller studios tend to be more likely to pick up games from designers at conventions or when pitched, some of the Asmodee studios have regular designers though. For example, Antoine Bauza sells a lot of his game to Repos Productions (7 Wonders/Duel, Ghost Stories, Terror in Meeple City) but he still sells games to FunForge, Cryptozoic, Monolith, Iello and others not under the umbrella.
>>
>>53564748
What are standard designer deals in the industry? They get paid for selling the idea + a percentage of game sales?
>>
>>53564930
Prolly depends on the designer, but the big names likely get a deal like that. Smaller publisher deals might be where you get a lump sum each printing like how book deals can work. I know artists get paid less than peanuts. The card artists for X-wing/Armada/Netrunner/etc have stated a few times they make less than minimum wage.
>https://medium.com/@noahbradley/minimum-wage-artists-4f8e00024a4
>>
>>53565111
Good, their art is shit.
>>
>>53565161
if it's shit shouldn't they charge even less?
>>
>>53565206
Hopefully. In fact 'art' is the worst thing about this hobby, most games look like crap, from components to drawings.
>>
>>53565259
Serious question, what's a game with "good" art? Also are stills or art better?
>>
>>53565307
Well, a game that creates some sort of identity and/or atmosphere through art. Compare Kemet with Scythe - one game has something between Iron Maiden cover and crude temple drawings / maps done with really fat smears, good figurines, works really well and ties the setting. Other has some shitty hexagonal projection OVER the actual map and the blandest of quasi photographs for card art.
>>
>>53564566
Yeah, that sounds about the same as my wife, and she likes it. Go for it, it benefits really well from a consistent partner to develop a meta against, so I think it's great spouse material if he/she agrees with it.
>>
>>53565362
>fat smears
???
>>
Amazon has Scythe for ~$62 right now, is it worth it?
>>
File: kemet-board2.jpg (96KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
kemet-board2.jpg
96KB, 500x373px
>>53565482
lines are pretty fat

only game that's 10/10 artistically imo
>>
>>53556052
Do they not just drop off your package? I would never buy from a place where I have to wait for it to arrive.
>>
>>53566621
I don't know what the USPS policy is, but I've heard some horror stories about FedEx and UPS from /toy/.
>>
>>53565557
I can't figure out why it works but it does
>>
>>53566685
I've had close to two dozen orders from CSI dropped off at my place from FedEx and have had routinely excellent service. I live down a long gravel drive that isn't easy to get down with a big-ass box truck. The FedEx folks routinely park at the street and bring the package up to my porch and place it so that it's out of sight of the street and where it won't get wet if it rains.

Zero complaints about my FedEx service to date.
>>
>>53565539
I haven't played it but I've been questioning its popularity from the get go. $62?? No thanks. If I'm spending that much I'll buy something I've actually played and liked or something I have zero doubts about. Blood Rage maybe?
>>
Picked up Betrayal at the House on the Hill for £20 today.

Now, I just need to find a couple of people to actually play it with.
>>
>>53564505
>So a furry is in charge of most of world's boardgames.
No. Every country has its own boardgame market and the USA isn't even the biggest really.
>>
>>53550744
I do, but let's stick to talking about board games here.
>>
>>53568671
>couple of people
Funfact - players of Betrayal are too sub-human to be considered people.
>>
File: Shitposting.png (332KB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
Shitposting.png
332KB, 400x319px
>>53569180
Bravo Anon - another poster-child for 'Post-natal Abortion'.
>>
>>53569597
The correct term is 'postpartum abortion', actually.
>>
>>53569597
>Actually defending Betrayal

Now I have seen everything.
>>
Hey my dudes. Has anyone here played Vast: The Crystal Caverns or has any knowledge on it?

Worth grabbing?
>>
Do we Mahjong here, or is that a separate thread? I just found myself a Mahjong group after a year long dry spell, but they're a bunch of weebs who insist on Riichi.
>>
>>53571967
Based on response from /bgg/, it's apparently a highly co-interactive four-player solo game.
>>
>>53571982
Board games that can land in hot water with gangsters, the USCF, or the IGF typically get their own thread.
>>
>>53572010
I've never had any problems with gangsters, and I doubt they can be any worse than elderly Chinese women.
>>
>>53567854
bold strokes
>>
>>53544534
I won't lie I own almost all of BaCON, have PowerPlay, Millenium Blades, and partner has some Argent and PixTactics
>>
>>53570737
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>53573557
Nothing - analyzed as a social activity.
Analyzed as a game? It's horrid.
The first half of the game is entirely devoid of actual choices for the players to make, you're effectively just watching RNG play out in slow motion to assemble the house, pick the haunt, and pick the traitor. And once you're there, very rarely is the combination of map setup and haunt selection going to result in a balanced or interesting second half, you're usually again at the mercy of RNG to determine the outcome.

In short, it's a well-camouflaged narrative reskin of Snakes and Ladders.
>>
>>53573645
I'd argue that if snake and ladders had 97 scenarios, gear, and tension building, it would upgrade from boring shit game to something entertaining.
>>
>>53573697
>97 mediocre rehashes that mean nothing since you won't even want to carry on with the first one
>random gear that further pisses on the idea of player agency
>The only thing that was building tension was my facial twitch after wasting several hours of my life on that garbage.
>>
>>53571982
>weebs who insist on Riichi
Riichi is the indisputable best
>>
>>53573697
I wouldn't ever argue that it can't be entertaining, that's entirely subjective, and, like I said, I can respect it as a social activity, a backdrop for spending time with friends.

But it's an entirely, completely, uniformly terrible game.
>>
>>53544534
How are Noir, Power Play, and Sellswords?
Power Play seems like a vaguely more focused game of pretend.
>>
>>53574240
Noir is pretty comfy for a filler pure deduction game, easy to teach others how to play it and can do some decent mind fucks. Black Box Edition has five variant game modes but I've only played the first one, which changes the flow of the game in that the detective needs to be a lot more careful with guessing who the killer is, but the killer has a hit list of specific targets

Sellswords is a re-balanced Triple Triad from Final Fantasy VIII where each character has a unique ability, interested to see how Sellswords: Olympia mixes with the original game
>>
>>53573849
Ok, sell me on Riichi. Why do you value random unpredictable point doubling and forcing everyone to turtle to avoid getting hit with a huge penalty?
>>
>>53573849
Classic euro mahjong is best mahjong.
>>
File: 1485991002654.gif (701KB, 736x547px) Image search: [Google]
1485991002654.gif
701KB, 736x547px
>>53575238
>implying burgerspiel zombie cthulu mahjong isn't the most fun at parties
>>
>>53575298
No, really -- mahjong was designed in the late 19th century in China, but became really popular in Europe in the 1920's and 1930's for a while. Those classic european rules are some of the oldest and most elegant mahjong rules.
>>
Stopped today at one of my friends' house to play the Dark Souls game.
I really enjoyed it as I enjoy character building and the grinding was necessary to decide how to use souls to build-up for good items. It felt off balance-wise but there's enough dice tossing to make up for balance issues. I cannot exactly say with one game but I thought the main problem was with the fact that stats were static and limit the possibilites for characters, and shit could become boring on the long run.
>>
>>53575298
I know you're funning, but you literally couldn't make American Mahjong worse even if you added Zombies and Cthulhu. Hell, I'm sure they'll be adding Zombie and Cthulhu hands eventually. It'll be better than "write out the current year in Mahjong tiles :^)"

>>53575391
How's it differ from Hong Kong and/or Riichi, whichever it's closer to?
>>
File: food chain magnate.png (86KB, 214x300px) Image search: [Google]
food chain magnate.png
86KB, 214x300px
>Two weeks ago, we put 100 'lost' food chains on the website; they sold within 8 hours. Having seen this very strong demand, we decided to do another reprint; but given time constraints and to avoid any delays/errors, we will first do Antiquity (planned to be finished around Essen 2017) and then the new print of FCM; we expect Food Chain to be ready early 2018. We will try to put up pre-orders on the website this weekend.

I've had this on my radar for a while now but I never actually played it. Is it really so fucking good? Anyone here played it?
>>
>>53576028
Try it out on Tabletop Simulator first.
>>
>>53576028
I have friends who say it's very clever, and heavier on player interaction than they expected going in.
No firsthand experience, though.
>>
>>53575954
It's like Hong Kong but the scoring is different. There's two tiers of scoring -- you score 2/4/8/16/32 points for pungs/kongs and then you get x2 multipliers for pungs/kongs of honor tiles or special hands. The losers then pay each other the difference in points.
>>
>>53576621
So kind of like Riichi scoring, with everyone getting scored rather than just the dealer? Could be worth a shot, but I'm not sure how much it adds. To be honest I like dealer-only scoring because it encourages the tradeoff between big and fast.
>>
>>53576699
I think it does add a lot, you can score in a huge way even if you're not the dealer and don't have mahjong. I imagine it's much more about ruining your neighbor's hands than making combos in your own.
>>
>>53576028

It is fucking amazing if you like logistics, tetris puzzles, and being a huge asshole.
>>
>>53579848
How strong are player interaction and politics? Can you make deals and promises and then backstab people?
>>
>>53579848
Sounds it's be right up a friend's alley. Especially the being an asshole bit.
>>
>>53576028
>Is it really so fucking good?

We won't know for another three years or so.

The ""geeks"" who review games are the kind of people who play a game halfheartedly twice and then move on to some newer shinier one. Their opinions are crap.

For example, Caverna was hyped as hell, but with time and more experience it turned out that Agricola is actually a better game.
>>
>>53580316
>Agricola is actually a better game.
Not massively experienced with them, defend your thesis I'd like to hear why in case I ever feel the need to buy either.
>>
>>53580316
If by better game you mean broken luckfest where you get shafted from the get-go, then yes, yes it is.
>>
>>53555718
Santorini is a great 2p game
>>
File: pic840712_md.jpg (41KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic840712_md.jpg
41KB, 355x500px
Is this worth tracking down or has 3030 supplanted it
>>
File: pic2556921.jpg (16KB, 207x300px) Image search: [Google]
pic2556921.jpg
16KB, 207x300px
What next, a board game where you determine who goes first?
>>
>>53583119
A board game about players deciding and voting on wether to go to the movies, play boardgames or do other stuff.

Contains couples 2 player variant and lonley hearts club 1 player variant :(
>>
Yo /bgg/ help me out why is dungeon quest 200$ on amazon and like 50$ on other sites which is the true price?
>>
File: 1485062778569.jpg (85KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1485062778569.jpg
85KB, 442x650px
>>53583119
>mfw it was the ONE board game I wanted to playtest at Gencon and server overload/latency denied me a single ticket for any of the 6 sessions
The expansion actually looks pretty nice too, might be the thing that finally gets a dice placement into my collection
>>
>>53583119
>>53583420
There's already at least one or two boardgames exactly for determining who goes first and who gets to pick the next game. And games for achievements to pursue while playing other games.
Don't ask me to explain why.
>>
>>53583730
You're not missing out on much
Its a box full of meh
>>
>CMoN and Iello are enforcing/publicly doing MAPs
>AEG and Mayfair have had them for a while
>ANA/FFG has the limited discount for online sales
So.......... Stronghold is the non-fuckwad publisher now?
>>
>>53584983
Good thing their titular game is so damn good.
>>
>>53585245
They didn't even create it, they're just the US distributor, Portal created it and they got in on the rights during the 2nd edition printing.
>>
>>53585287
Shit.
>>
>>53585347
Yeah it's further proof Ignacy is one hell of a designer and his stuff might not always be worth buying, but it's always worth playing to see if it's your style.
>>
>>53584983
MAPs?
>>
>>53585566
Minimum allowed prices. Mayfair's has always been 80% of msrp I think; Iello is saying 25% off max, CMoN had one previously for products under a year old (can't discount their plastic and make KS people feel cheated). There was a court case on them saying it's not price fixing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this sorta thing come up in the next few years when you consider how retailers online are consolidating.
>>
File: xFLMONV.png (499KB, 1562x403px) Image search: [Google]
xFLMONV.png
499KB, 1562x403px
So, to get into a heavier euro

Agricola(old) / Caverna / Le Havre / Agricola 2016 / Suggestions?

Pic is my humble collection for reference.
>>
>>53587092
Puerto Rico.
>>
File: pic2458233_md.jpg (138KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2458233_md.jpg
138KB, 500x500px
>Renegade buys rights to English printing of pic related
>game already exists as a KS from New Zealand
I thought they were an English speaking country? Though with Raiders up for kennerspiel and everyone who played it raving, Renegade is really proving they're not Cryptozoic anymore
>>
>Minifig not posting massive writeups of all the cool shit he's seeing at UKGE
Wake up you lazy Brit; I want a full report of how the upcoming releases look
>>
Posting early because I'm off to bed, but wanted the anon who posted to finally get his OC to start a new thread
>>53588339
>>53588339
>>
>>53581562
Caverna is a more expensive, less strategic, less replayable Agricola with rules that are more fiddly. Seems like a game for collectors rather than for normal play.

>>53581475
> If by better game you mean broken luckfest where you get shafted from the get-go, then yes, yes it is.
Don't play with the overpowered cards then. Anyways, the Revised Edition (the only one in print) fixed this.
>>
>>53587092
Agricola 2016.

P.S. Robinson Crusoe is much of the Agricola experience except in a cooperative format, great game.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.