[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General Tiamat Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 22

File: wallpaper_1920x1080.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper_1920x1080.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53410964

Why is Tiamat the greatest dragon waifu?
>>
>>53464578
>Why is Tiamat the greatest dragon waifu?
are there other dragon waifus to choose from?

but to answer the question: 5 girl blowjob, 1 girl needed.
>>
Why are at will abilities so rare in /5e/? is it really design intent that most of the time you just attack people?
>>
Has anyone here tried converting an older module to 5e? Is it hard?
>>
>>53464641
So that martials can be good at something.
>>
>>53464690
But it makes martials more boring, since all they do is attack people.
>>
>>53459651
They sound like sad sacks of shit. Why do people do that? They must realize they're playing with other people who aren't autistic and have social awareness?
>>
Give me your best builds for a sea-traveler?
>>
>>53464578
>Tiamat the greatest dragon waifu?

Doesn't she have like a harem of 5 different colored male dragons to service her whenever she wants
>>
What homebrews do people use in their own games?

The UAs are good inclusions, as long as you don't multiclass with them.

The UAs are official homebrew, made by the actual designers of the game who have an understanding of their system.
Otherwise you get retarded shit like the autistic guy who was arguing an at-will reduction of speed to 0 was good gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>53464724
Why is that bad gameplay mechanics?
>>
Can anyone exxplain to me how the fuck Magic Jar is supposed to work?

Do you get the creature's hit points? Hit Die are technically a class feature
And when you die in its body and return to your own, are you at full life? Technically, your body took 0 damage
>>
>>53464736
Gee, I wonder why. The disabling of an enemy with that is fucking too strong. At least include a DC.
>>
Mentlegen, how do we fix GWM and Sharpshooter? Tweak the numbers? Limit to once/round? Something else?
>>
>>53464736
If you don't understand or worse won't understand why that's bad gameplay mechanics, you shouldn't be "designing" at all.
In fact, you aren't designing anything remotely good, you're holding gameplay mechanics to hostage.
>>
>>53464680
>Redesign the encounters
>reassign skill dcs
That's about it.
>>
>>53464680
Please respond.
>>
So I've had this situation while DM'ing where one member of the group got KO'd and had 1 success on a death saving throw, and then the fight was won. Said member also had negative hitpoints. What was supposed to happen next to determine if they died or not? Should they have rolled more saving throws outside of combat to see if they live? Should I have assumed their companions stabilized them, making them do a Medicine check? I did the latter and they lived, but I wonder if I skimmed over rules of death-outside-combat.
>>
For the Fey what language would those on the plane of the Queen of Air and Darkness speak in Pandemonium? I already have Slyvan listed but I am curious which Primordial language would be best for speaking with creatures of Pandemonium, the territory of the Archfey known as the Queen of Air and Darkness. Auran ("Air" Primordial language)? I don't know much about the Fey or elementals honestly.
>>
>>53464578
How do you treat her avatar if your pc have one or more of the mask? I am thinking of removing the head to the corresponding mask.
>>
>>53464840
The Tales team did it, you could try shooting them a Tweet?
>>
>>53464840
There's lots of Pathfinder>>5e adventure conversions you can Google.
>>
>>53464875
I was referring to Basic, 1e, and 2e modules.
>>
>>53464841
If the fights over they make death saving throws untill failure or stabilize, someone has to roll a medicine check to stabilize.
>>
>DM for the second time while shit DM is away
>everyone trying to work out how we can get rid of shit DM and put me in charge permanently
>session is great fun
>sit in beer garden playing for 10 hours
>got a date with really attractive girl lesbian friend in the group brought in

times are good
>>
>run premade adventure
>feel like I'm always several steps behind trying to catch up with my players
>>
>>53464841
Medicine check first, death saves next

Also 5e doesn't have negative HP, you just drop to 0. The only exception to this is if the damage remaining after hitting 0 is greater than your current max HP - then you're insta-dead.
>>
File: 1475595058031.png (70KB, 430x384px) Image search: [Google]
1475595058031.png
70KB, 430x384px
>>53464899
>girl thinks your date was just hanging out
>was actually a lesbian too
>DM comes back and the group falls apart
>you can't find another session within 10 hours of where you live
>cry to sleep every night

Prepare yourself anon.
>>
>>53464917
>>53464891
Thanks, I'll know what to do if this occurs next time!
>>
>>53464884
The easiest approach is to rebuild the encounters with 5e content and assign skill DCs as needed.
>>
>>53464852
By the book you are supposed to lower her stats, if you remove one of her heads you should also remove the corresponding legendary actions and reaction. Also, when summoned she appears one head per round, i guess you should also reduce the time it takes for her to enter combat
>>
>>53464916
I was looking at running PotA the other day and honestly I don't know how I'm supposed to keep all this shit straight. There are so many goddamn NPCs and so many plot threads in Red Larch that I'm not sure it's possible to avoid fucking something up.
>>
>>53464899
>got a date with a lesbian
???
>>
>>53464962
>not curing them with cock
>>
>>53464942
Most GMs make reference notes for the modules or 5he like.

People have done the work for you and sell their notes for cheap on DMs guild.

There are also blogs with some DMs notes you could easily print out.
>>
>>53464962
Not him, but with the attractive friend, the lesbian friend brought with her.
Learn to comprehend English and the other guy should write better sentences and punctuate.
>>
>>53464962
no, parse it differently, it's a really attractive girl that was brought to the group by a lesbian player

>>53464965
disgusting
>>
File: 1491987089366.jpg (55KB, 370x398px) Image search: [Google]
1491987089366.jpg
55KB, 370x398px
>>53464962
he said the lesbian of the group brought a friend who he picked up

post laughing reaction memes to that hilariously unlikely story
>>
>>53464976
>lesbian friend
>not him
how can a him be a lesbian?
>>
>>53465007
Male lesbian
>>
>>53465017
fag
>>
>>53464995
>disgusting

Nah man. It's the natural order.
>>
>>53465007
What the fuck?
>>
>>53465017
Must be Steven King... of the lesbians.
>>
>>53464852
>I am thinking of removing the head to the corresponding mask
lolwut don't do that
Instead do what the adventure says and weaken her accordingly.
>>
>>53464701
Am I the only one that gets a kick out of disarm/grapple/shove/climb-onto-a-larger-creature/etc.?
>>
>>53464578
I'd rather pic related as my greatest dragon waifu.
>>
What are some fun utility spells for a Wizard to pick up? I've been looking it over and the only one that really caught my eye was Scrying.
>>
>>53464790
whats wrong with them?
>>53464841
keep initiative going until someone can save them or until the die/stabilize.
>>
>>53465047
>When you're at the top of initiative and you spend your turn pushing 4 creatures prone
Feels good
>>
File: 1495891141763.jpg (399KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
1495891141763.jpg
399KB, 1000x707px
How would we get pic related as a familiar?
>>
Is there any benefit for playing a race that falls into the small size-class?
>>
File: hyrule warriors.jpg (675KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hyrule warriors.jpg
675KB, 1920x1080px
Has anyone used the UA When Armies Clash or Mass Combat rules?
Do they work?
I've heard problems about the latest ones with it being relatively easy to make a unit unkillable.
Does anyone have a good and simple alternative?
>>
>>53465123
At the feywild as a reward for *something*
>>
File: Piergeiron's Palace.jpg (51KB, 767x491px) Image search: [Google]
Piergeiron's Palace.jpg
51KB, 767x491px
My players will be invited to a noble gala in commemoration of the Open Lord of Waterdeep. How can I keep things interesting without murder / crime / party crashers? So far what I've got is

>nobles gambling, getting drunk and pestering the PCs
>one boot-licker that resents the party's favoured position with the Lord
>Lord's (or most likely, some other noble's) daughter and/or son get all starry eyed around some of the "heroes"
>>
>>53465133
You can move through medium sized creatures as if they were difficult terrain
>>
>>53465088
Any ritual
Arcane eye
Tongues
Levitate
Fly
Dispel magic
Stone shape
Seeming
Wall of stone
>>
>>53464790
Put a level 8 requirement on it. Once you get to that point it's more necessary on martials.

Other people fall behind in damage pretty hard there... but most of the other characters have functions beyond damage at level 8 to support. It's only an issue at low levels because GWM/SS V.Human completely out performs everyone at damage and nobody has anything to do except damage, once you reach level 5 everyone has their core class abilities.
>>
>>53465047
I ran SKT and repeatedly made it clear to my players that they could use these options.
I even had a printed list of all the alternative combat actions from the PHB and DMG.
Nobody EVER used them. For the whole campaign.
I think we might have gotten a couple shoves at one point early on when someone was playing an OH monk, but not many.
>>
>>53464962
OP could be a literal faggot?
>>
>>53465166
My group was the same and I could tell my DM was upset all the martials weren't using all the special actions she printed.

I managed to get them used more thanks to a +4 Athletics modifier on my Wizard. Running up to a weak enemy and shoving him into a Grease spell was the point other people started using them.
>>
>>53465166
>>53465199
It's like they don't want to succeed.
>>
>>53464924
Nope, I was worried about that too, but I checked with the mutual lesbian friend and she confirmed that the girl is hoping it's a date too.

>>53464976
Greentexting past midnight kills my grammar for multiple reasons.
>>
File: 1495839641946.webm (1MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1495839641946.webm
1MB, 720x404px
How could a pc do pic related?
>>
>>53465047
>disarm enemy
>'Can I pick up/kick away his weapon?'
>No it's in the enemy square
>enemies turn
>picks up weapon and attacks me
never again
>>
>>53465241
Pretty much just high level monks vs low level enemies.
>>
>>53464690
They could give martials at will.
>>
>>53465146
Well that doesn't sound very useful at all.
>>
>>53465244
I'm sorry your DM is shit, anon.
>>
>>53465047
The problem is:
It uses an attack action, which could be used for... attacking
Many enemies can't be disarmed anyway
Grappling requires a free hand, unless you're a duelist this kinda sucks. Dual wielders can't grapple, sword & shield can't grapple (donning/doffing a shield takes an action), two handed can't wield.
Shove is good, but quite situational. If there's nothing to immediately push them too, it's better attacking, if they are soon after you in initiative, you won't get much value out of knocking them prone
Climbing onto a large creature is fun, but not all creatures are large sadly
>>
>>53465292
Guess what size giants are.
>>
>>53465263
Better than not being able to move through them
>>
>>53465330
I'm just saying, like the disarm action- It's not always usable. I always climb onto larger creatures just cause it's more fun then standing in front of it and hitting
>>
>well I think I should have advantage on that because-
How to automatically fail any roll
>>
>>53465159
I don't know anon, even past level 8 they are still crazy good in terms of raw damage you can deal. Even more because by level 9 you'll usually have a +4 (+6 with archery) to hit even after the -5 penalty.

>>53465263
>>53465146
>move through medium sized creatures as if they were difficult terrain
I don't think you can actually do that. Halflings can though, it's one of their racials. Mainly there aren't really benefits to being Small, besides maybe being able to squeeze through tighter spaces where Medium creatures can't even get into. But each small race usually makes up for the penalty with other great stuff (Lucky, Gnome Cunning).
>>
>>53464843
Your the DM you can make up whatever language you want. Have them speek Elder Fae or Primordial or something.
>>
>>53464899
Collectively tell the old DM that their services are no longer needed.
>>
Asked a couple days ago and still not sure what to do.
I have a level 5 one-shot coming up and it looks like I'm going to be the only front line class. Our party currently consists of gunsmith artificer, wild magic and dragon disciple sorcerers. what would be a good class to round us out a bit more?
>>
>>53465263
You can also use a medium creature as a mount.
>>
>>53465458
wrong general pathfaggot
>>
File: 1479274337367.jpg (226KB, 760x610px) Image search: [Google]
1479274337367.jpg
226KB, 760x610px
How would I make Friendship Sword?
>>
>>53465496
Not him, but that's clearly 5e, you blithering retard.
>>
>>53465047
My current fighter has athletics expertise and spends all his turns setting up the other martials by using extra attack to shove enemies prone and grapple them at the same time. He uses a sword and shield so his damage output is useless tier anyway, the other guy has a flaming greathammer and it's better just to set him up.
I haven't gotten a chance to use climb onto a bigger creature but I really want to. My GMs never use Huge creatures, mostly just packs of NPCs with class levels.
I also want to use Disarm but it does seem to be useless in most situations and would get me killed. It's useful in 1 on 1 fights but those don't happen in D&D, the only thing that happens is two entire groups of armed combatants drawing their weapons at the same time and fighting to the death in a bloody massacre.
My fighter is personally against hitting women, so I plan to have him Disarm if he ever comes against a female opponent in one of said group death battles, even if it's not tactically the best option. Haven't encountered any yet though, just men and monsters.
>>
>>53465496
Gunsmith artificer was added in one of the unearthed arcana pdfs. Stop being a sperg.
>>
>>53465292
I suppose I should admit a large part of why I found it useful was because the enemies were immune to nonmagical weapons and I didn't have any. I was naked, the barbarian didn't give a fuck, the druid had spells, the paladin had +3 magic weapons and armor, and the monk had a magic dagger that dealt acid damage which he didn't even need because he had Ki-Empowered Strikes. The barbarian was a compulsive hoarder, the druid was just as naked as I was, the paladin didn't have any spare weapons, and when I asked the monk for his dagger he said he would kick my ass, so I had to settle for getting a magic weapon spell from the paladin for a hunk of metal I picked up. All I could do was hold down or toss around every enemy and tank because I had more hit points than even the barbarian. I wasn't even a very good tank because whenever I crit-failed a roll the DM ruled I attacked another party member, which nearly killed the druid. When that happened the party would retaliate against me, but I sucked it up because of insane hit points. For all the shit I took, I managed to squeeze some morsels of fun out of it, until the DM freaked out because I was helping the other players plan out their spells because in their seven months of gaming they never cast a spell (I was only with them for one month), which is when I quit.
>>
>>53465263
>>53465133
Being a shoulderbro
>>
>>53465502
Obviously a legendary sentient weapon with a powerful charm effect. And advantage to hit those charmed by it, maybe some extra damage on top.
>>
>>53465557
That sounds like an awful, awful game.
>>
Designing a legendary shield for in treasure horde wielded by a Mummy.

So far I've got..
"Rampart of the Fifth Sun."
+3 Shield that can be used to cast "Blinding Smite." 5 times a day. The shield is also bathed in a 5ft aura of bright light and further 5ft of dimlight, the bright light is sunlight.

Does it need more? Less? Casting Sunbeam would be nice but I can't really imagine the fighter wanting to stop hitting things to shoot a beam for a few turns.
>>
>>53464790
Instead of -5 to hit and +10 to damage, remove the proficiency bonus from the attack roll and add double it to damage. At first level you'll have -2 to hit and +4 to damage, but -6 to hit and +12 to damage at level 20, which feels about right.
>>
>>53464578
Did we get answers to the jump questions?

>If a Tiger Barbarian jumps at an enemy do they get to attack (Is it a move action).
>In hard-numbers terms, how far can you jump at a given DC? Ar there any examples?
>>
>>53465241
Battlemaster, which is what the filename said when you saw it yesterday and saved it.
>>
Name for a High Priest of Torm? In Waterdeep, if that matters.
>>
>>53465644
>the fighter will always be in melee range or something
>getting in melee range will always be useful
>>
>>53464746
srsly you guys, how is it?

What's the hit points mechanics of Magic Jar?
>>
>>53465644
I mean it already has 5 smites a day, does it really need X sunbeams too?
>>
>>53465644
If you really want Sunbeam you need one or the other. Personally I think the 5 smites a day starts stepping on Paladins toes so go with the sunbeam. Maybe bllocking 3 attacks charges the shield in which it can then cast sunbeam as a bonus action/reaction?
>>
I saw someone post a SeaSorc/GOOlock the other day with Cervantes.

I don't really want to play a Sea Sorc/GOOlock meme class because it's busted, but a character based around Cervantes does seem neat. What's the best way to do it?

Swashbuckler/Hexblade mite b cool, or Hexblade 5/Treachery for illusions and Misty Step on a short rest.

Maybe Shadow Monk/Fighter or another WIS class?

Or would a full Hexblade with only a small dip in something else be better?
>>
>>53465658
Jumping is generally a move action so you should still have a standard action bonus action, and any unused movement. Assuming you didn't use either of these to dash, or otherwise improve your jump, in which case you used up the appropriate action.
>>
>>53465775
>Not based on Maxi
>Or Voldo
>Or Ivy
>>
>>53465622
I've only been gaming for a few years. I've played with a dozen DMs under a dozen systems over several cities across my country. They've all been more or less at that level of quality. Without the internet to give me an idea of what standard of gaming a sane group should strive towards, I would never know how bad I have it. Due to complications with my family I can't get into online games like Roll 20. The only friends I have, the only people who would want me to DM for them, are currently busy and half-way across the world from me. At this point I've nearly sworn off gaming and just come to 4chan fill that void.
>>
The SpellViewer in the OP link seems to not be functioning fully for me. Whenever I try to make a new spell, it throws an exception.

Anybody else have this problem?
>>
>>53465775
>All the multiclassing with UA content
>>
>>53465827
fuk u Cervantes is most coolest souls character.

Astaroth is p neat too though.
>tfw attack grappling the tits out of people for an entire match
>>
>>53465775
Hexblade would probably go good with stone sorcerer, or there's always fighter or paladin.
>>
>>53465644
"Rampart of the Fifth Sun."
While wielding this magic shield, you gain a +3 bonus to your Armor Class. The shield is bathed in a 5-foot aura of bright light and further 5 feet of dim light, the bright light is sunlight. The shield has 15 charges. As a bonus action, you can spend a number of charges to cast one of the following spells: daylight (3 charges), blinding smite (3 charges) or sunbeam (6 charges). It regains 1d12+3 expended charges daily at dawn.

How about this? Could change from 1d12 to 2d6, as well.

>>53465652
That actually makes a lot of sense.
>>
File: 124124.png (80KB, 288x284px) Image search: [Google]
124124.png
80KB, 288x284px
>>53465849
I actually forgot Stone Sorcerer can warp around, that's a pretty good fit.

>>53465839
Not like i'll ever play it anyways.
>tfw forever DM
>>
>>53465652
This is what I did.
I also changed HAM to use your proficiency modifier instead of a flat -3
>>
>>53465725
When you die in the target's body and return to your own, you have all your hit points (unless of course you fail your save), there is no debate about that as far as I can tell. As for the target's hit points while you possess it, you likely use the creature's unmodified hit points, unless your DM wants to use the "Monsters with Classes" rules from page 283 of the DMG.
>>
>>53465842
>Not even being inferno
I've been looking back at the soul series and the lore is pretty good
>>
>>53465849
>stone sorcerer
Can you Stone Aegis yourself? I seem to remember Crawford smugly saying "well you can see yourself can't you"? on twitter, and I'd assume yourself is an ally, or at the very least not an enemy.

Being able to warp straight to people who shoot you up to 60 ft away would be rather amusing.
>>
>>53465725
You steal someone else's body. I don't understand what's so confusing about that.
>>
>>53465987
After rereading it I guess it only triggers the teleport on melee attacks but reducing damage taken is still rather useful.
>>
>>53465829
I am terribly sorry on your behalf and makes me feel rather entitled, berating my own decent party.

That said: try again and again and again until you find a game that is passable.
>>
>>53465990
Hit points.

Hit die are a class feature, so in theory, when you transfer onto someone's body you gain your x + y number of hit points, where X is your average number on a number hit die equal to your classes levels, and Y the creature's constitution modifier times your classes level.

But if your hit die are getting carried over to the host body, does that mean damage isn't?
>>
>>53465985
Ghost Pirate Edgelord>burning spooky Skellington Edgelord
>>
>>53465790
What about Jump Distances by DC?

Is your jump distance capped by your move speed?

Can you combine dash with Jump to Jump further, multiplying your jump speed?

Can you Combine Dash with Charger with Jump to do a Leap-Charge?

Lets assume for the sake of argument, you can get your jump distance high enough for these questions to matter, such as via the jump spell.
>>
>>53466028
Whoa whoa whoa, nope, backup there.

Hit dice are a feature of all creatures, including monsters. That's why when you read the MM you'll see monster hitpoints listed as
>average (level*hit die + CON*level)

What kind of die is mostly based off the creature's size (IIRC there's a table in the DMG somewhere with this on it) and a monster's "level" is never explicitly given but you can usually reverse engineer it from their stats (easiest being just look at the number of hit dice they have although it's not always accurate). Essentially, monsters in the MM aren't always built like PC's but they tend to follow the same formulas.

Anyways, when a player takes over someone else's body they just get that body's hit points and not their own (since they've left their physical form).
>>
What is a good name for the fantasy equivalent of the power rangers?
>>
>>53466128
The Avengers
>>
File: DnD_TH_PotA.png (149KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
DnD_TH_PotA.png
149KB, 275x275px
What's 5egs opinion on The Fresh Prince of the Apocalypse? I was thinking of running it but I heard there's some issues with maps and a bare bones story.
>>
>>53466165
It's a tremendous clusterfuck for the DM. Be prepared to memorize 3/4ths of the damn book, and make lots of your own notes.
>>
>>53466165
Better than SKT, harder to fuck up than CoS.
>>
>>53466028
>Hit die are a class feature
>But if your hit die are getting carried over to the host body

I get where you're coming from but I think you're caring too much about mechanical keywords and not 'what makes intuitive sense.

Think of it this way- if a ghost possesses a feeble magic user, the feeble magic user is still feeble and not a 10HD melee brute, and is a feeble magic user takes over Thoark, Champ Gladiator, he should be able to fight as Da Champ.

I mean, it's a high level spell that makes you subject to some pretty weird vulnerabilities- you SHOULD be able to benefit greatly from it outside of highly specific espionage mission where Charm Person wouldn't work for some reason.

Now, I don't think your way of doing things is badwrong, but I think your way of doing things would make it like, a 3rd or 4th level spell.
>>
>>53466126
I appreciate that your opinion is exactly what I came in for, so I'm not talking it down, but consider the following to better appreciate the confusion

Hitdice are a feature of all creatures, yes, but hit dice are a feature of class levels which are a thing that you retain.
To support this fact, the monster manual explicits how adding class levels to a monster adds hit dice to them equal to the number of levels one is adding.
So if anything, the text suggests one should have a great health pool than either individual.

It is not so unheard of, as many classes take the "mind over matter" philosophy as the reason behind a large HP pool on a not so large a person.

Additionally, it is counter intuitive that there is no drawback to the fact that should you hit 0, there's a "save or Die" effect on what is already a very vulnerable position.

Especially since at the level in which you can cast Magic Jar, most humanoids don't have enough HP to take on a slap on the face
>>
>>53466197
>he should be able to fight as Da Champ
Thing is, with Magic Jar, you'd lose proficiency in class based things, such as martial weapons
>>
>>53466191
>Better than SKT
Explain.
>>
>>53466201
>but hit dice are a feature of class levels which are a thing that you retain.
Oh sure, but they're tied to your body. As an example, having Darkvision is a feature (racial, but whatever) that doesn't transfer when you change forms - ie: an Elf Druid doesn't retain Darkvision when they become a bear, but they do gain the Keen Smell feature. Hit Dice, I imagine, are like that.

I think Magic Jar is mostly for utility and RP purposes, and less so for combat (the 1min cast time is a testament to that). If your players want to use it as a combat buff, it's certainly possible but it will require a lot of planning on their end (not to mention kidnapping a suitable host).
>>
Does Booming Blade operate on all rules of the basic weapon?

ie
Whip vs 5' away -- you take disadvantage
Spell Sniper with sword -- you still can't attack 10' away
Anything else? I thought I read one way but I guess not.

I know a reach weapon requires spell sniper to be used.
>>
>>53466276
"Hit points aren't Meat Points" is kind of a big deal in the game.
>>
>>53466232
Monsters, or at least most, are assumed to be proficient with any weapons or spells they have.
>>
>>53466332
Magic Jar, involving a transfusion of mind and soul but intrinsically requiring a host body that still has a soul attached to it, largely throws that concept into whack.
>>
>>53466165
Not so much a campaign or module as a loose sketchbook of ideas, ie. not really anything you couldn't do yourself. The monsters are GREAT, however. Seriously.
>>
>>53466332
They are meat points though.
>>
File: Guy_Gardner.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Guy_Gardner.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
/5eg/ what is the one character you've always wanted to play but never got the chance?

I've always wanted to play a subtle superhero type of character but in a world where people shooting fire out of their hands is the norm its kind of difficult. I don't mean superhero in power level as much as a hero that becomes a symbol of hope in the game world.
>>
>>53466357
No, it doesn't.
>>
I think our hunter-ranger wants to get a pet/mount. Maybe just for out of combat stuff and roleplaying purposes, he already knows he's good enough in combat thanks to sharpshooter.
What should I do?
At the end of the last session he went off to find exotic animals in a large capital city. Should I give him a chance to get some form of animal companion even though he is not a beast master?
>>
>>53466191
>harder to fuck up than CoS.

Been running that with my friends. Main issue with CoS is that there's many timers and time sensitive events that can make the players fuck themselves over without much the DM can do without utterly annihilating the story, and unless you manage to railroad how the sandbox develops the players can get TPKed way too quickly.

But I'm just a new DM so what the hell do I know.
>>
>>53466389
yes, it does.

Hit points are already incredibly nebulous, when there's a soul and presumably whatever destiny, divine favor, luck, etc. attached to both the host and the intruding soul involved, the result can be literally anything the person writing the rules desires.
>>
>>53466189
Has been my main problem so far. Chapter one seems fine in giving a bit of backstory but then it quickly falls apart. The necessary information needed to make a cohesive story is in two different parts of the book.
>>
>>53466403
I mean, you can buy a horse or a dog so why not? I just would allow it to take actions in combat unless it is provoked or he starts using mounted combat rules.
>>
>>53466403
yes, if he's level 8-10 and gets a CR 1-2 pet, that's not gonna throw the campaign outta whack
>>
>He gave me a quick recap of my journey; mass murder, attacking my own friends, suicide… He spoke of these things as if he’d been there, this man is nothing but a glorified historian and he dares to patronize me.
>Talking with him is like talking with some construct, he does not act like a human being, the voice you hear in your head is monotonous and dry and there’s not a shred of emotion on his face, a face that’s REALLY hard to look at.
> I hate this man, I truly hate him, with every fiber of my being…
It's good to know our paladin enjoys my mystic's company.
>>
>>53466450
>>53466454
He's level 9. I guess I'll have to flip though the MM and Volo's to see if there's anything he'd find interesting.
A DM's work is never done.
>>
>>53466357
It had an interesting play off in Ravenloft where the campaign is set

Possessing a Shell automatically works, and when you abandon it, it has no idea how it got there
>>
>>53466448
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/188187/A-Guide-to-Princes-of-the-Apocalypse
>>
>>53466271
>greater monster variety; undead, elementals, tons of humanoids of various races, flying shit, swimming shit
>campaign isn't 95% Huge-sized meatsponge creatures that many playstyles are ineffective against
>enemies have more varied and interesting abilities; not just "throw rock/tree/fiery rock" and melee all day
>despite also boiling down to elements, enemy groups are more flavorful than SKT's "fire guys who smith", "ice vikings", "stone thinkers", "idiots", and two varieties of wind-themed fancy fucks; giants are all the fucking same anyway
>tons of named NPCs ready to bro down or throw down with you
>sick fights everywhere; mini-bosses, bosses, and big bosses
>story takes you through several big dungeons and then a megadungeon, compared to SKT asking you to hit one and then go do maelstrom->boatkraken->dragonfight, meaning large swaths of the book are essentially ignored in every run unless the party decides to do most of the giant lairs, which doesn't make a whole lot of story sense
>has just a slightly smaller quantity of "hex crawl" sidequest shit to do compared to SKT, but each of them are more substantial than "here's some Uthgardt that are unimportant, kill 'em" as in SKT
>story is higher stakes, has cosmic repercussions, and makes more sense that a party would go around solving it instead of armies because haha who really believes a secret cult is summoning a god of destruction vs. yeah these giants are obviously fucking up everyone everywhere
>draws on a deeper well of setting lore and has greater connections to past important modules and also extraplanar shenanigans; SKT is just Against the Giants with Drow replaced by a dragon and half the modules ignored, while PotA is Elemental Evil: Remastered. PotA is ripe for even greater improvement if a DM / players are familiar with other aspects of Elemental Evil or Elemental Princes (their Good versions and the Neutral Elemental Gods) that PotA never mentions
>>
>>53466471
Simply put, this is a self balancing campaign element. Most animals that are even REMOTELY, in a million years, gonna unbalance the game, would have to be something huge, stupid, and annoying.

This is pretty much a "for fun" thing, so I'd suggest letting him pick whatever, and he'll have fun, he'll probably be protective of the creature, and it probably won't do all that much. But you will probably make the player very, very happy.

So I'd also suggest making getting the critter some kinda mini-quest.

Of course you know plenty well what's best for your campaign so these are all suggestions.
>>
>>53466357
Then how does one ballance out this spell?

Having your Archmage jump into someone's body who has about 3 hitpoins, bang his toe on the door and have to make a CHA save or Die seems to be a little off putting
>>
>>53465829
You could try text-based online games? I only play and DM text because I don't own any microphone and I can't afford a headset (plus don't want one).
>>
>>53466511
>mini-quest
I was thinking something classic like smugglers dealing in exotic animals and the ranger doing a little solo quest on the side to rescue them and keeping one.
>>
>>53466561
A X E B E A K
X
E
B
E
A
K
>>
So is Maze pretty much an instant 10 minute banishment with no save if they have 8 INT?
>>
>>53465021
life isnt warhammer. kill yourself autist
>>
>>53466495
I was underwhelmed by SKT after coming off PotA, honestly. While in PotA it's possible to do just about everything and it all makes sense to do so in whatever order the players would like, SKT presents you with several forking paths and it's neither necessary nor really in your interest story-wise to try and go down the road not taken. Did you run through the Hill Giants' sinfully easy dungeon and get their conch? Then there's really no reason for you to ever tussle with the Fire Giants or Frost Giants, which also means you'll never even run into the yak people.

In fact, PotA's more open-ended and completionist nature is what makes a lot of people complain about it in the first place. It seems some people are either looking for a more railroaded experience or have tables where everyone is incapable of giving or taking a clue and moving on to the next major set point of the adventure. I've run it twice with different groups and have never encountered this problem, while in SKT one party had trouble even giving a shit, especially because the events that are meant to make you want to trounce these giants pit you against forces you REALLY aren't going to beat at the level introduced. Did fire giants just raze half that town and piss off the party? Let's go over to their keep and fight th--OH, YOU'RE ALL FUCKING DEAD.
>>
>>53466549
I'm not casting judgment. I just wanted to point out that there's "fluff" basis for whatever the FUCK you want could happen, regardless of meat points, fate points, or however you view HP.

Magic Jar is a dicey as hell spell. Basically, you want to save it for a big, tough humanoid foe.

>>53466561
Nice.
>>
>>53465133
>halfling
>divination wizard
>lucky feat
>>
Looking for some opinions:

>Storm King's Thunder
>Curse of Strahd
>Out of the Abyss
>Princes of the Apocalypse
>Hoard of the Dragon Queen / The Rise of Tiamat

Which of these pre-made adventures are the "best" for newbies? By that I mean the most balanced both for combat, difficulty, RP aspects, interactions, puzzles, lore, etc. I've heard of some adventures being too combat heavy and having too few RP or talking interactions.

I'm the type of person to modify things anyway but I'm curious which would be a great "base" introduction to D&D for a group of new players in of itself.
>>
>>53466641
The dungeons in SKT are shit, too. They're not interesting. The beaver dam and circular iceberg are the most different (everything else is just "castle" or "cave" filled with different colored giants), but they're all fucking awful to run if you play it even slightly intelligently. The moment the party gets spotted and the giants realize what's up, any competent DM would say, "The giant lets out a shout" and the other 20 fucking giants come running and shitstomp the party. They're obnoxious or nigh-impossible to assault head-on, and if you stealth you better do the whole thing that way, otherwise the DM either kills you or gives every enemy the AI of a bad stealth FPS where they never shout, never retreat, never investigate, and everything is deaf.

It's telling that the most interesting part of all the big encounters are the low-level stuff where you're defending villages from giant aggression and get to fight a bunch of normal enemies while a very small number of giants serve as bosses. Accuracy and damage does not scale to the extent that one creature which was a nice boss-like challenge for the party at level 3-4 is now a grunt that can be slain five per encounter in a dungeon with four or six encounters; giants still have 150+ HP each and multiattack with ABs over 10 and damage in the 20-40 range per hit.
>>
>>53466315
>Whip vs 5' away -- you take disadvantage
What the heck are you talking about?
>>
>>53466495
>Elemental Evil: Remastered

Wait, really? Do you mean mechanically? Yeah, I get that thematically its similar, but I didn't see much in the way of mechanical similarities.
>>
>>53466652
Yeah, I was mostly looking for a more sensible rulling out there from people who'd been through the same, but it's hard to grab that for high level games
>>
>>53466720
Honestly, for a newbie, you are probably better off making your own dungeon or scenarios. I have consistently found that in all these premade modules, the work is generally greater than if you just do it yourself.
>>
>>53466720
Lost Mines of Phandelver.

And you go from that to Storm King's Thunder rather seamlessly

I personally did Curse of Strahd followed by Against the Giants in Tales of the Yawning Portal
>>
>>53465292
It doesn't use an attack action it uses one of your attacks
>>
>>53466315
The only Reach weapon with Disadvantage on 5ft. attacks is the Lance. Everything else can attack 5-10ft. fine.

You have to make a melee weapon attack and if you can't make one 10ft. away, it has to be 5ft. So you can't do 10ft. sword attack.
>>
What's the best Elemental to summon with Conjure Elemental?

What's the best Elemental once I can bind them for long periods of time?
>>
>>53466766
See, while I think 3e is by far the most FUCKED UP EDITION EVER, I like the triple symmetry of Animate Dead, Polymorph, and Magic Jar having generally similar ramifications on what is "of the body" and what is "of the psyche" or whatever.

In 5e, humanoid NPCs are USUALLY just monsters like anyone else, but I think intuitively, most DMs like to think of NPCs as humanoids with something like class levels. So yeah, if you want to have PCs keep their hit points, go right ahead.
>>
Disgruntled PF-fag here. Game is shit.

I've never played 5e past 5, how does the game run at higher levels? How does combat scale in danger and speed, how useful are skills in the face of magic?
>>
File: fireguys.png (675KB, 755x511px) Image search: [Google]
fireguys.png
675KB, 755x511px
>>53466722
Contrast this to PotA where you have four cults, all of which you're going to mess with. They each have a forward base, ranging from an isolated tower overlooking a chasm, a defiled monastery with labyrinthine catacombs, a massive multi-story granary thing that's collapsing and on fire, and a riverside keep. Beneath or near all of these are proper fucking dungeons with rooms separated by corridors that each encompass unique encounters. It's not one enemy type all the way through (or even two, even though the cultists use elementals more often than the giants) a single dungeon, since you're encountering their monstrous hirelings and other shit that was there before they moved in.

You fight a boss in each forward base that's a named humanoid with some special power that serves as a lieutenant for the cults, and they generally have some special power, like lycanthropy or whatever.
Then you fight the leaders of the cults in their respective dungeons, and they're mostly all fucking weirdos: a medusa earth genasi, a man who's half crab, a crazy elf hikki who wants everyone to think she's an avariel, and the odd one out is the fire tiefling bitch who's just a tiefling bitch. And they all have lair actions!
But before you get to any of those guys, you have to fight their SPECIAL monster hireling, which range from young fire dragons and turtle dragons to a goddamn ABOLETH. Most can be persuaded to fuck off or betray their leader, so there's already more diplomacy going on here IN A SINGLE FUCKING DUNGEON than all of SKT.
Then there's the BIG BOSSES, which are extraplanar shit-ruiners that could stomp cities if they weren't just coming out of a nap, and killing one will make you feel like way more of a badass than SKT, and they're in EVEN. BIGGER. DUNGEONS.

And all their hideouts and lairs and shit are filled with unique units like these assholes from the Fire Cult. Some of them fucking self-detonate when killed. It's rough.
>>
>>53466868
Combat gets pretty fast and brutal at high levels. Martials are spamming GWM/SS with 2-3 attacks per round with burst resources for more damage, Casters are doing all their caster things.

Skills depend on the DM, personally I'd let a Fighter with 20 Strength and Athletics proficiency attempt some pretty inhumane levels of shit like kicking through stone walls, some people might say that's just really strong human levels though.
>>
>>53466868
Dude, do NOT overestimate the value of magic in 5e.

You have one 'concentration slot' at a time. This is a big contribution.

Your spells, beyond that one concentration slot at a time, are generally not a big contribution. IN fact, generally expect most non concentration, non cantrip spells to be a gigantic waste.

Martials and hybrids dominate. Full casters are overestimated.

It just plain isn't 3.PF, by any means.
>>
>>53466779
I was thinking of taking some of the basic setup and then diverging from the main plot where applicable. Main plot is to stop the baddies from summoning Cthulhu but I can change the middle as much as I'd like to get there.

>>53466787
I was looking over the module today and it seems a bit bland. I mean it's definitely good for a starting, introductory module, but it feels like it's lacking on interaction and puzzles --- feels like there's too much combat against mobs and not enough clever plot hooks left around (although admittedly I did merely glance).

I'm still planning on running Phandelver as the most basic of introductions but it feels like something is missing. I was debating on whether or not I could circumvent it entirely if, let's say (using a random example), Hoard of the Dragon Queen was a better balanced and overall experience than Phandelver.

I also plan on running some Yawning Portal later on.
>>
>>53466900
I've only skimmed the module but what's stopping a party from simply going after one cult all the way down to their node? What reason does the party have to visit all 4 outposts, all 4 keeps, the eye, and then all 4 nodes?
>>
>>53466920
>Main plot is to stop the baddies from summoning Cthulhu
Err, I should have clarified that this was meant to say, "For example, if the main plot was..."

The game I'm running has nothing to do with Cthulhu. Bad phrasing on my part.
>>
>>53466900
Why must you capitalize those words? Are you autistic?
>>
>>53466919
>IN fact, generally expect most non concentration, non cantrip spells to be a gigantic waste.
This can be pretty true, there's some spells you'll want around for when they come up (Magic Missile, Fireball, Shield and etc.) and some low level spells that are still good at high levels like Grease. Caster's will mostly be concentrating on something and slinging Cantrips in combat.

So for once the Fighter actually does a better job at killing shit then a Wizard.
>>
>>53466595
Yup. Caster has to maintain concentration, though.
>>
>>53465652
If I decide to pick up DMing again I'm going to use this houserule
>>
If anyone here plays or at least knows the rules to adventurers league (I know there is at least one of you) could answer a question real quick. If my character was made using only the phb and no +1 book can I just take the Elemental Evil spells as my +1?
>>
>>53466900
The sidequests and leveling adventures are more fully-featured, and the various factions all have special tasks and are better presented (or actually presented to begin with) than in SKT. SKT doesn't really give a shit about any of those groups except for the Zhentarim, and it barely does anything with them anyhow. PotA's using them for built-in hooks to get your PCs to go handle this shit, and they can point you in new directions, help you out, and serve as "wipe recovery" if you get your asses kicked by one of the big boss fights.

Every individual aspect of PotA is done better than every individual aspect of SKT. The only thing it lacks is a flowchart in the book like SKT has for complete dunces that says "do one of these, then do this or this, then do this, and finish with this".

The NPCs (both good and evil) are better, both in terms of flavor, dialogue, motivation, and combat variety.
The dungeons are better.
The monsters are waaaaaaaay fucking better.
The stakes are higher.
Your party's given more reason to give a shit.
And the cults all have it out for your party personally, and there's this whole section about how one or more of the cults you've pissed off chase you around while you're travelling and drop random encounters on your ass or try to fuck with you in more subtle ways. They're not just sitting on their hands and waiting for you to come to them, or ignoring your existence and going about their own shit. You each feed off each other. It's great.
>>
>>53466868
Maybe you should go back to your shit game with your millions of non options, where the melee classes without addons from PoW only move and full attack, and where the casters bullshit roll over everything.
>>
>>53466920
>I was thinking of taking some of the basic setup and then diverging from the main plot where applicable. Main plot is to stop the baddies from summoning Cthulhu but I can change the middle as much as I'd like to get there.

in all respects this is how I was running the Tiamat stuff
>>
>>53466981
Yes, what ya makin'?
>>
>>53466986
What
>>
>>53466992
Dwarf mountain druid, the earth spells would be nice for flavor
>>
>>53466985
>Every individual aspect of PotA is done better than every individual aspect of SKT.
In terms of what and how so?

>>53467002
I think he's telling you to go back to your shit game.
>>
File: howabsurd.gif (5MB, 410x296px) Image search: [Google]
howabsurd.gif
5MB, 410x296px
Rate the party for the next campaign I'm in:

>Tiefling Warlock sent back in time by his Fiend patron for some mysterious quest
>A druid that used to be a cage fighter and went into the woods to train and fell in love with it
>A wild-magic sorcerer who is a huge coward, but wants to be known as a hero just for all the awesome benefits
>A generic barbarian
>A bard who just wants to play his bongos all day and just adventures as a way to make money in between gigs

The Warlock, Sorcerer, and Bard plan to start an in universe band, and have all taken a proficiency in performance for it.
>>
>>53467019
Fun choice of character. Is the Mountain Dwarf part for flavor or do you plan to be using Strength over Shillelagh? Because a Shillelagh is good and Hill Dwarf would give you better racials.
>>
>>53467046
honestly the character is already built and nearly 10th level I just ordered the spell cards (don't tell my dm)
>>
>>53467002
Combat in PF takes ages, the melee classes can't do anything except for full attack or move if PoW isn't in play, the full casters shit over everything.

It's a terribly bad game which tricks you into thinking you have lots of options and choices to draw from, but then taking these options and choices mean your character is actually penalized or you're useless or weak.
>>
>>53466990
How'd it turn out for you? Any complaints for the Taimat stuff or was it pretty balanced overall?
>>
>>53466378
You're being intentionally difficult.
They are, among other things, meat points.
They are not (exclusively) meat points.
They aren't even (mostly) meat points.

Read their description in the PHB.
>>
>>53467066
Yes I know that Pathfinder is shit. I'm confused over why you needed to tell me that when I already know all those things and I'm asking about 5e.
>>
>>53466387
A satyr cast out of the feywild that uses his polearm to leap on high and falling on an enemy with it like drgoons from Final Fantasy
>>
>>53467084
Ah, apologies, misunderstanding on my part.
Continue as you were.

Combat in 5e runs smoothly and well, however if your DM doesn't include flavorful environments and options to interact with those options in those environments, combat can get a bit boring. Combat is the weakest element of 5e unfortunately.
>>
>>53467128
>A satyr
>that uses his polearm
is that what you're calling it, now?
>>
>>53467075
HotDQ is completely insane, pacing wise. At the beginning, the PCs are set into a grueling series of encounters that are very, very difficult to endure, even if you're a pretty high op party and know all the variables. You have to do go through a grueling series of many gauntlets with almost no time to rest at level 1.

The second zone is... an infiltration zone which is piss easy, so long as the PCs make no effort. If the PCs try to wear enemy uniforms or whatever, the PCs almost certainly fail. The PCs basically have to do nothing at this point, just not try to blend in and not try to attack people.

After that, there's a mix of relatively easy dungeons and gigantic nothingburgers until the end, which is a damn good dungeon that has many battlemaps available online.
>>
>>53466920
I've run Hoard of the Dragon Queen, now running Rise of Tiamat. To be entirely honest, HotDQ is not really all that balanced. Most of it is purely combat and dungeon-crawling. It's fun though, don't get me wrong, I loved running it and I'm still having a blast with the campaign, but it does have some flaws. Mainly it requires a lot of work from the DM to run, you'll need to prepare in advance a lot. It's also somewhat railroad-y, there's not much room to stray out of the adventure's path, but that worked fine for me since it was my first time as DM, it helped to keep the game flowing.

On the other hand, once you get through HotDQ, RoT is honestly SO much better. It has a lot more variety, including a council that the PCs get to be a part of.
>>
>>53466720
Quality of the adventures

CoS > OotA >>>> PotA> SKT >>>>dogshit > niggers > Tirany of the dragons
>>
>>53466939
Going all the way down in a straight shot is almost sure to get you killed. You can't rest even in a place you've killed because they continue to reinforce the areas, and they will eventually get wise to all your Leomund's-ing. It's all designed to get you to go back outside and back to town or recoup elsewhere after hitting a temple, at which point certain events happen. Both the cult that you fucked with and the cults that are still at full power start nuking towns and unleashing elemental apocalypses on the whole region. So if you beat up the fire cult, some of their remaining cultists are going to incinerate an entire town, and then, say, the water cult is going to drench everything within a few hundred miles in a constant monsoon and you're very much encouraged to go stop that.

Defeated cults try to find new leaders in a variety of ways, and the empowered assaults of the other cults finally cow villages into submission and they find new recruits and power that way.

But even if you were somehow cool enough to hang in the dungeons forever and never leave, and don't give a shit about anything going on outside, you need to go through the Eye to get to the main cult HQ where the big bosses are and you automatically encounter another one of the cult leaders on the way.

You have to close all of the portals to end the threat, because taking out one Prince of Elemental Evil doesn't mean the other cults shut down. So you're going to kill all the leaders and toss their weapons into the portals to shut them down, and the last one you fight has always had enough time to auto-summon their Prince. Your DM may have you fight two Princes, though.

You don't necessarily have to do all four outposts, and you can skip three keeps if you really want, but will mostly see two. You'll do two main headquarters, though. You probably won't keep up in levels or magical shit unless your DM is milestoning you, however, and they're all cool enough to warrant a visit.
>>
>>53467187
This, except CoS is below PotA if either you or your players aren't a fan of the Gothic vibe. Requires everyone to know and like the genre before you play it.
>>
>>53466846
I think I finally came down with a solution to "fix" magic jar

When you possess someone, your hit die are carried over, which increases your Max Hit Points, but your current hit points stay the same.
That is, if you take massive healing, or a long rest inside the humanoids body, your hit points will match that of the PC, but at the point of possession you only carry the "vitality" available to it at the moment.
>>
>>53467187
>Drizzt's Runaway Underdark Railroad
>even better than SKT
>>
>>53467187
Elaborate why you've organized them that way.
>>
>>53465144
bumping for ideas
>>
would a bugbear with a lance have 15ft reach
>>
>>53467180
Honestly the whole campaign spanning two modules is what interests me the most in the Taimat adventures. Having such a nice, long stretch could be fun if you find a good group. Probably needs a really good DM to go in the first half and fix that mess you mentioned.

>>53467179
Honestly having an insane beginning is making me want to check it out even more now. I love running PCs into the dirt before easing off. I'd probably try to tone it down a bit though if what you're telling me is true...

I'm a fan of difficult fights and it sounds like most of it is at the beginning. Start off with a bang and all that.
>>
>>53467187
From a glance I'd probably prefer OotA to CoS. What's the difference? What puts CoS over OotA?
>>
>>53467232
Not him, but OotA is a well written adventure that's also got an interesting setup. Most premades begin with "You're all fresh faced adventurers traveling for adventure", OotA locks you up and wants you to break out of a prison and run into a hostile and dangerous environment.

It's main draw is that most people have never done much in the Underdark besides exploring a little cave or something. The idea is generally fresh to a lot players.

Also it works better then any adventure at accounting for unusual races, anyone can be a prisoner to the Drow so Duergar, Tiefling and other weird PC's don't have to have the world shape around them as much.
>>
What's the opinion of Savage Tide/Age of Worms/Shackled City?
>>
>>53467276
VtM nostalgia
>>
>>53467302
>OotA locks you up and wants you to break out of a prison and run into a hostile and dangerous environment
Well, that decides it. I'm gonna go grab OotA now.

I've been planning for an adventure kicking off like this for a while.
>>
>>53467155
Yes. He skyfucks people to death... Surprise butt sex is receiving some much needed innovation
>>
>>53467266
I don't mind "challenge" scenarios. At all. And I don't mind killing PCs in the least. Its just that the PCs have no real variables they can capitulate on to make things easier. In the Tiamat storyline, the start is too hard and the finale (that is, Tiamat herself) is too easy.

I had to give the PCs two long rests. I let them have, per the DMG, one long rest per day that is 1 hour long, and the second, of course, requires another 24 hours. Even so, the PCs squeaked by with no PC deaths by the most improbable luck, and they were given 2 levelups in the same time. Even then, I saw no players making any mistakes or anything -- I saw a pretty much perfect game on their part.

Fair warning, there's a gigantic sandwich of anticlimactic uselessness in the middle that you can replace with no harm and no foul. The PCs gain about 4 levels for almost nothing while only gaining one level from the hardest stint in the campaign.
>>
>>53467336
It's in the trove, but I'd also recommend a physical copy.

It also contains the stats for demon lords and the strains of madness they inflict.
>>
>>53465644
The light shed could safely be more. For comparison, the Sunblade does 15 bright/15 dim.
>>
>>53467369
Sorry, I've had 3 margaritas, meant "capitalize" not "capitulate."
>>
>>53467443
That's fucking weak.
>>
>>53467371
>Implying any of us actually support Wizards of the Cucks
>>
>>53467276
Both are really good, Oota is a bit railroady and the end is kind of shit but overall excellent while CoS is good all around but very DM dependent, is not something a newb or a manlet can run.
>>
>>53467266
I was lucky to have a good group. And even then it was really rocky at times, I've had a total of 10 players in this single campaign, as people left and others took their place (online game). Out of the 5 I play with now, only 1 has been in it since the start.

I wouldn't call myself a really good DM, so I'd say you don't need to be one to fix it. I had a lot of help from a few guides though, which I can't recommend enough (the first one being undoubtedly the best):
>http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html
>http://slyflourish.com/greenest_in_flames.html
>http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com.br/p/hoard-of-dragon-queen-index.html

>I love running PCs into the dirt before easing off
Then I'm sure you're going to like it. The module, at level 1 pits one PC against a cult champion which is sure to wreck them, and the party against an adult blue dragon, which you should probably allow the party to deal with diplomacy or some other means.
>>
>>53467469
The fact that everything gets reset?
>>
>>53467461
You're what's wrong with the hobby and the reason why they favor wizards.
>>
>>53467461
Speak for yourself.
>>
hey /5eg/.

I'm in my first DnD campaign and I need some help fluffing out a backstory for a cleric of Helm. playing in a Homebrew game where the GM hasn't designed the divine, so I've just been cherry-picking deities from forgotten realms.

I found some lore about Helm as it relates to Maztica, and our game has a heavy new world vibe, with the humans being very East India Company. colonialism and its woes, etc. I want this kind of intersection between state religion and faith to be the driving conflict point in my character, but am unsure how to deal with the church itself. The WotC lore has Helm dying and resurrecting and all this stuff that defines him but isn't in the game I'm playing at all: how do I reconcile that? is there a particular era of the published lore that I should be pulling from, and if so can you point me in the direction of it?

just looking for advice in general I guess: i've had more trouble playing this character than any other. How can I make a zealot complex in a way that doesn't impede my ability to roleplay with a diverse party, and justify the fact that i'm off traipsing through dungeons rather than sitting at home praying.
>>
>>53467561
>>53467586
why pay real life money when all the resources are right at your fingertips ?
>>
>>53467595
Because physical copies are the superior medium, and after Mtg and D&D got split on the earnings report, I'm rooting for Wizards to keep their shoestring budget of a tabletop game alive.
>>
>>53464578
Hypothetically, what would Warlock look like, if it was a good spellcasting class rather than the strange turret thing it is?
>>
>>53467603
>not paying to have it printed out or just doing it at work
wow anon you aren't very bright
>>
>>53467611
Enjoy being so poor you have to work somewhere with a physical printer and can't afford a book, lol.
>>
>>53467595
Uh, to support the hobby you fucking fa-hahaha, I'm kidding.
>>
>>53467620
oh I absolutely can, but why would I spend my hard earned cash on a dumb book I have to tote around and break my back when I already have them all on my nice compact laptop?
>>
>>53467620
Rich people dont have printers at their office? Is that what you are saying?
>>
>>53467650
At least pay for the products you like, you piece of shit.
>>
>>53467666
calm down there satan, why is it so offensive to you, I live in a free market, not so sure about you
>>
>>53467650
Dumbass, you just order new books and have amazon deliver them to wherever your session is every week. That way you don't have to bother carrying them around and you get the satisfying feeling of cracking open a fresh book every week.
>>
>>53467666
dont listen to this anon, it's a trick!
>>
>>53467443
Real margaritas or that pussy frozen blended shit?
>>
>>53467666
yes, good goyim. spend your """money""" that's no longer backed by my gold on the things that you like!

eh eh hheeheheheh!
>>
>>53467699
no no anon, if he wants to break one of the most basic rules of the internet why not let them?
>>
>>53467680
Spending money is the underpinning of capitalism, you retard.
Spend money.

>>53467699
Holy shit, no it's not. Don't listen to this anon. It's not a trick.

>>53467713
What the fuck are you blathering about?

>>53467724
Don't be a cheap little shit.
>>
>>53467724
>>53467744
I'll not let this poor, innocent anon, be deceived by the likes of you, Serpent!
>>
>>53467750
C'mon, eat the apples of spending money to support your hobby.
>>
>>53467744
sorry anon, I spend my money on second hand miniatures at my flgs
>>
Can a warforged modify themselves?
One of my players wants to eventually pay a wizard to give him the ability to cast fly on himself once a day.
>>
So is Light Theurge the best option for blasting?
>>
How do I best do Yuan-ti rogue?
>>
if the Far Realm got it's shit together and launched another(?) invasion of the material plane, what kind of army would it deploy?
>>
I've got 80gp and access to a shop, what's some good basic adventuring gear for a Wizard? I've already got two Arcane Foci.
>>
>>53467868
10 foot pole
>>
>>53467862
Things with too many eyes, and mouths and screams inside them.
Think the garden of eyes, and the other horrific things from Bloodborne.
>>
>>53467862
The Far Realm doesn't invade. It just slowly overlaps until whatever was there before is now just more Far Realm.
>>
>>53467854
I'd probably go Swashbuckler and make him a sexy snake man.

Personally I've been trying to make a Yuan-ti Monk for a while but it just sucks so damn much no matter how I build it.
>>
>>53467916
>monk

oh there is your problem anon
>>
>>53467928
I know, I guess I could do a Yuan-ti Mystic for something similar to what I was going for. I really fucking wanted to have proficiency in all saves, the ability to reroll them and advantage on all saves against magic though.
>>
Got a player playing a dual wielding pirate barbarian. He's using two short swords, any way I can make his two weapon fighting times funner?
>>
File: Book of Lost Spells (Small).pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Book of Lost Spells (Small).pdf
5MB, 1x1px
>>53464578
What does 5eg think of Book of Lost Spells?

I discovered it was a thing when I went to look up some spells I grabbed from 5etools that aren't there anymore, and it turns out thats where they were from.

PDF Shrunk (compressed images) so it could be 4chan posted.
>>
Does Shillelagh and PAM make the bonus action attack 1d8? I'm planning a Druid 1/Long Death Monk X Human with PAM.
>>
Kinda off topic, but does anyone have that greentext about the dumb troll or whatever that wanted to become a blacksmith? I believe it was D&D related. May have been Pathfinder, though. I've been scouring around and can't find it.
>>
Would a bearded devil be too annoying for 5 level 3 PCs to deal with if they are not prepared to fight devils yet? Or do you think they can power through it easily enough if they just gang up on him?
>>
>>53467962
im ok with it, i like variety i guess
>>
>>53467962
Might be okay to pull some necromancy spells from it but most of them are kind of ridiculous and broken
>>
>>53467958
Simple, give him two short swords with different properties.
>>
I want to roll up a character based on Thomas Cochrane, 'The Sea Wolf'.Duelist Ranger or Battlemaster Fighter? I don't dig the UA swashbuckler. What lets me be a tactical savant while also being a mercurial and aggressive fighter?
>>
>>53467712
Pretty much tequila with a bit of food coloring, my parents don't fuck around. My tastes are definitely pusillanimous by comparison.
>>
Despite the fact that Paizo produce absolutely shit mechanics, they do write some spectacular flavor.

I'm planning on including Out of the Darklands and Darklands Revisited material with OotA, is this a good idea?
There's vault builders, hidden worlds in the absolute bottom layers of the Underdark, vampiric daemons, civilizations of intellect devourers, genius neothelids.
>>
>>53468053
Yes, its fine. You may wanna make some provision for their lack of magic weaponry.
>>
So, I was reading through OotA while listening to soundtracks, as I do, and the Doom soundtrack came on.

How might one get some of that classic DOOM feel in 5e?
>>
>>53467976
no, the bonus attack doesnt use your main weapons damage dice so it isnt modified by shillelagh
>>
File: hannibalcavewoman2.jpg (323KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
hannibalcavewoman2.jpg
323KB, 1131x1600px
>>53464578
Anybody interested in some neolithic/early bronze age vampire slaying?
>>
>>53468190
Shillelagh + Scimitar of speed?
>>
>>53468159
Good call. I have some ideas on how I can ease the battle slightly while still making it engaging for the players. Maybe have a weak NPC trying to help, but him being the only one with a silver weapon.
>>
>>53468199
Reread Shillelagh and tell the class why that doesn't work.
>>
Does anybody know of a campaign that would work well with only a GM, 1 player and probably a DMPC? Girl I'm talking to is interested in D&D and I want to have a few 1 on 1 sessions with her so she can learn the game and I can practice my GM skills before we join a larger group. Thanks in advance
>>
im an artificer and some oozes just fucked up my mechanical servant's AC. DM has ruled that I cant restore the AC unless I build a new one from scratch. Is he not super fucking wrong or am I missing something?
>>
>>53468236
Something light, like Tomb of Horrors.

Really you should just write up your own small dungeon. Just remember to only throw shit half or a quarter as tough as usual at them.
>>
>>53468253
hey may or not be right, but he is definitely a cunt.
>>
How does observant work as a feat? It just ups your passive perception? What does that mean compared to active spot checks?
>>
>>53468253
>If the servant is beyond recovery, you can build a new one with one week of work (eight hours each day) and 1,000 gp of raw materials.

If your DM has ruled that the damage is beyond repair, you're SOL, artifamcer
>>
File: ahh burbs.jpg (63KB, 960x846px) Image search: [Google]
ahh burbs.jpg
63KB, 960x846px
>>53468287
it has -3 AC. thats it, he admitted that besides that it's perfectly functioning
>>
File: 549.gif (508KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
549.gif
508KB, 500x281px
>>53468236
>one on one session
>with a girl who's never played the game
>she's agreed to this
>>
>>53468304
yes, It was easy, I just asked her if she was interested in D&D and she said yes, but shes shy and has never had a group to play with. I'm looking forward to it, should be fun.
>>
>>53468190
That makes sense, can I use my Monk Damage Die with it though? I just want to know this stuff before I take my character to the DM.
>>
>>53468262
thanks, ill look into it, and thats not a bad idea. For the first session though I would prefer something simple.
>>
>>53468362
Show her how good you are at giving her the D, I mean Dicerolling.
>>
>>53468362
No man, he's memeing on you and telling you to give her the D.
>>
>>53468371
Don't actually look into running her through Tomb of Horrors.
>>
>>53468283
It means you should never try to look for things, just stumble around without paying attention to find shit.
>>
>>53468375
She'll be getting some serious dice rolling my friend

>>53468384

Oh, I must be retarded.

>>53468387
was that a meme recommendation?
>>
>>53468387
the module or his bedroom?
>>
>>53468370
I'd say yes, because you're making an attack with a monk weapon (otherwise you couldn't use gwm with the bonus attack when using a glaive).
>>
If a player wanted to Dual-Wield Clubs that had Shillelagh would it be fair to say he can cast the spell on both in the few seconds before combat? As long as he's not surprised or something of course.
>>
>>53468409
>nerdsonearth.com/2015/08/tomb-of-horrors-5e-conversion/
>>
>>53468464
god dammit you fuckers, lol. okay good to know not to do that, thanks m8
>>
Someone correct me if this is wrong. I cast Magic Jar and enter it leaving my body nearby, then from the Jar I possess someone I want gone and enter their body.

I then drag my old body 150ft. away from the Container while in my new body and give thumbs up to my Fighter friend holding the Container. He smashes it, I go back to my body and the original target can't return to his so he instantly dies.

So is Magic Jar basically an extremely complicated and situational save or die?
>>
>>53468518
I'm not at my desktop atm, but I have a short goblin slaying module I wrote I can drop sometime tomorrow. It's got maps and everything,

It was designed for a part of 4 children and a dog, so two adult characters should do fine.
>>
>>53468569
that would be great, thanks! If this thread is gone, would you mind emailing it to me [email protected]
>>
>>53468594
oh shit man, i hope that's a burnable account. You realize this is 4chan right?
>>
>>53468613
It is nearly summer anon.
>>
>>53468613
its just the email I use for spam and stuff, and I dont think im interesting enough to fuck with so im not too worried. nothing personal on there
>>
>>53464578
/tg/ How would you fix Warlock without making them even more broken for multi-classing?
>>
Tieflings are underpowered right?

That means that wings shouldn't be banned right?
>>
>>53468699
the largest problem with warlocks is that most DMs don't follow the recommended amount of short rests/day

the second biggest thing is their general lack of decent invocations. The more good invocations they get, the better they get.
>>
>>53468594
Dude tell us about your Animorph campaign. How did that work out?
>>
>>53468699
Warlocks are fine. Stop thinking of them as a Caster, start thinking of them as a ranged Half-Caster with shittier hit-dice in exchange for the best at-will ranged damage.
>>
File: protip of the day.png (5KB, 682x302px) Image search: [Google]
protip of the day.png
5KB, 682x302px
>>53468711
>>
What DM tools do you guys use? Monster Creation, Map Creation, and all the similar?
>>
>>53468754
Photoshop, and Javascript.
>>
>>53468711
If your DM can't handle flying PCs, he's not ready to be a DM.
>>
>>53468734
haha, did you just google my email? I never got it up and running unfortunately, couldn't find enough dedicated people to try it with. There weren't any systems I particularly liked to run it either. I would still be up for doing it, but I think I would want enough people expressing interest before I really put forth effort into modifying a system to run it well. I also dont have a whole lot of experience running campaigns, and I wouldnt want to fuck it up by being a bad GM
>>
>>53468737
They problem is they aren't intended to be half-casters, and the power distribution is far too front-loaded. They need hugely powerful invocations at later levels and a few more features built in to justify the lack of slots.

There is a reason why every single player I've ever played with stops playing Warlock after a few levels, and that's because they end up being EB turrets because the class doesn't let you do anything else effectively. Granted I've had no Hexblades in any of my games, they actually seem decent unlike the other Warlock archtypes.
>>
>>53468800
Only when he can handle falling pc, then is he ready ro be a true DM.
>>
>>53468822
Hexblade's definetly a step in the right direction, it gets an at-will passive ability that can radically change how it plays.

Raven was also pretty good, had a nice spellist and a very good level 1 power.

Warlocks and Sorcerers both seem to have been kinda bad, went even worse in the SCAG and then got a pretty large boost in UA.
>>
>>53468860
warlocks really start to pick up when they get 3 slots per short rest, sadly that's at level 11
>>
>>53464709
Triton storm sorcerer with the sailor background. Take all the water, thunder, and lightning spells you can. Probably need athletics, perception, nature, and persuasion / intimidation if you can get all of those.
>>
>>53468822
>>53468860
I'd give the Warlock class overall an extra slot or two at say level 5 and 7 or something like that so they get a few more tools to play around with.

Hexblade though is actually pretty great, the features are strong and help fight the MAD that Gish'es all suffer from, the Invocations are flavorful and powerful as shit, it has options for STR builds with Cursebringer a very very powerful feature, and Moonbow for ranged options, has a hugely powerful Hex all wrapped up in a package that lets you smite harder than Paladins. Only issue is like all Warlocks I'd recommend multi-classing them after 5 levels in warlock for a fighter dip.

Raven queen is full of flavor and has some decent abilities, but some of its features are weak. The finger of death capstone is pretty balls, and only seems good because Warlocks have so few spellslots.

Either way the class needs a few more slots and riders that counter-multiclassing or something so everyone doens't get free spellslots for a 2 level dip.
>>
>>53468754
Inkarnate for maps, both regional and local. It can be a bit of a struggle to make it look good with free assets considering I play online, but it looks a hell of a lot better than black and white grids.
>>
>>53464578
>Previously, on /5eg/:
>>>53410964
>Links to Wednesday morning.
C+P fail?
>>
>>53465144
Have a young noble who's been dabbling in magic, and he's showing off for his friends.

And something goes hilariously wrong.
>>
>>53468711
tieflings are tier 1 phb race
>>
>>53468711
Only issue with Tieflings is their shitty Ability Scores... Luckily you can change that to +2 DEX, +1 INT or +2 CHA, +1 CON.
>>
>>53468594
>brony
Wait, I thought you guys died out
>>
>>53469172
>or +2 CHA, +1 CON.
I'm sorry, how come?

>>53469115
That's a nice one! Thanks.
>>
>>53469355
Abyssal subrace, from UA That Old Black Magic.
>>
with tunnel fighter + pam does that mean i get two attacks when enemy close to melee range? reactionless opportunity attack for entering reach (10 ft), then reaction attack for moving 5 ft within my range.
>>
>Polearm Master
Allows you to make opportunity attacks against foes that enter your reach

>Fighting style (UA)
Can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction

Does this mean I can make as many opportunity attacks as I like?
>>
>>53469440
No, but it does mean you can make as many opportunity attacks as are triggered.
>>
>>53469172
Can you combine Feral with Abyssal Tiefling? That'd be an interesting combo.
>>
>>53469541
No, feral is just a variant option for your standard Infernal tieflings.
>>
>>53469565
Ah, a pity. It'd be neat for a Barlgura Tiefling.
>>
How do I roleplay a Changeling?
>>
File: 1489804786567.jpg (101KB, 480x467px) Image search: [Google]
1489804786567.jpg
101KB, 480x467px
>dm always bragging about how he can make such powerful character builds and hes so good at it and makes broken characters for his friends
>roll up a fairly strong powerbuilt character (nothing crazy broken or anything)
>says it's op and starts nerfing all of my abilities willy nilly and then when he gets a taste for it starts doing it to other random spells and things other people are using as well
>totally cripples my character
Pretty frustrated t b h I had a cool character concept that was gonna be a lotta fun to play and now i can't do half the stuff I am able to.
>>
>>53469683
I suggest checking out the stuff about them in "Races of Eberron" from 3.5e. A lot of insightful stuff in there.
>>
>>53469683
Don't be one of those "Hurr durr I was really a Changeling all this time". People who want to play a Race or Class who hides as another option to their allies are the most annoying shits.

Only time I saw it good was the Half-Elf Barbarian everyone thought was a human because they just never asked.
>>
Any guides to DM'ing Out of the Abyss? I've read the whole book but it'd be nice to get some tips from people who've already DM'd it for where to place encounters, pacing, etc
>>
>>53469750
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2015/12/rage-of-demons-guide-to-out-of-abyss.html
>>
>>53466165

It's the first full campaign I ran after LMoP. Most of the details of Red Larch are highly skippable. I started with my party at level 5 and had them bypass Red Larch entirely. Instead they went to find the Mirabar Expedition immediately, and started chipping away at the Haunted Keeps from there. Some good advice I read was to give the Elemental Temples locks that can only be opened by a combination of four keys found from the keeps. That way the party can't get too far ahead of themselves.

Make sure the dungeon bosses act reasonably. If something's amiss, they'll gather forces against intruders. They shouldn't remain static.

Read the Keeps for now. You can get to the temple once two or three of the keeps are out of the way.
>>
>>53469683
facestealer boi
take the face of people you fight
>>
>>53469246
that was long ago, dont talk about my cringy ass highschool brony days. it physically hurts me to remember
>>
>>53469947
>>53469947
>>53469947
>>
>>53468456
Casting time: Bonus action.
I guess it depends on situation - can you cast bonus action spell before combat?

If you're ganked, obviously no.
If you're ganking, you probably can.
If your party and enemy looks at each other and await escalation of conflict, casting spell means roll for initiative.

>>53468699
I think they are pretty good for wizards and charisma casters.
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.