[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 366
Thread images: 24

File: Cleric2.jpg (161KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cleric2.jpg
161KB, 800x600px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Cleric edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53393344

Forge cleric gets heavy armor, abilities to help him go into melee and fight, improved divine strike, but no martial weapon proficiency. What gives?
>>
File: PZO1121-DwarfPaladin_zpsc1f816e8.jpg (209KB, 790x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PZO1121-DwarfPaladin_zpsc1f816e8.jpg
209KB, 790x1000px
still wish for an earth cleric
>>
>>53399476
Holdover from old editions where clerics aren't allowed to use maces
>>
>>53399476
How to fix Forge Cleric:

Pick Dwarf, Elf or Half-Elf (Variant) to get a weapon proficiency.
>>
>>53399506
If you go back long enough they were even more restricted in weapons and armor, but based on deity.
>>
>>53399506
But war clerics, death clerics and tempest clerics do get martial weapon proficiency.
>>
>>53399490
Just take Stone Sorc archetype on Cleric and refluff some other domain's Channel Divinity?
>>
>>53399520
>Pick Dwarf
I fell for this meme not so long ago. The trouble is, our campaign is pretty hardcore, and we spend a lot of time running away and retreating. This 25 feet speed is a real bummer, and it nearly killed me on numerous occasions.
>>
I'm DM'ing Curse of Strahd, and I'm having trouble running Strahd an organic NPC like character that has a life and goals and plans which he works on day to day while the adventurers are having their game play

I thought about doing a campaign journal for him, detailing his abilities and day to day details as he reacts and acts proactively in response to the adventurer's specific ways that they interfere in the world, but that feels like Micro managing, which isn't very much Strahd's style, but then again, neither is waiting around.
>>
>>53399476
Anybody have suggestions for additional types of "Indefinite Madness"?
>>
>>53399476
Looks more like a druid to me.
>>
>>53399568
laugh out loud, you were destroyed, wrecked, my family member.
>>
>>53399596
I don't get your problem. Just get Strahd to appear a few times, doing Strahd-like things, like showing up to burgomaster's house and charming his family into having a dinner with him and the party.
>>
>>53399568
>play dorf
>never had this be an issue even with running all over the place
>play second dorf
>it's a monk with Mobile
>>
File: i001.jpg (13KB, 483x60px) Image search: [Google]
i001.jpg
13KB, 483x60px
What do you think of DMPCs? Are they a good thing or a hindrance? When does a supporting NPC turn into a DMPC? Where do you draw the line
>>
>>53399596
keeping a journal and having him be very active is a great idea. I regret letting Strahd take a backseat for an extended period.
>>
I like to play melee characters and I like the lore aspects of both paladin and ranger, which one should I go for? Are rangers useable now with the revision?
>>
>>53399773
It becomes a DMPC if it's showing up the players. It's always a bad thing. Not a hindrance. Objectively bad. Ruins the campaign.
>>
Ask last thread but didn't get any responses.
Any must have encounters in the shadowfell?
Looking to give players a good experience there. Good in terms of pain and suffering.

Any suggestions? I'm just in the brainstorming phase. I might have a side quest they can choose to take or not featuring a shadow dragon lair. Or I might make it their ticket home.
He might have a portal back to the material plane.
>>
>>53399848
>Any must have encounters in the shadowfell?
A portal out
>>
>>53399839
Pretty much this.
>>
File: Geography student.jpg (113KB, 583x800px) Image search: [Google]
Geography student.jpg
113KB, 583x800px
>>53399773
DMPCs are not a good thing.
Active NPCs are fine.

If my party is going to have an NPC in their party in combat for any reason, one of these two things happens:

1: That NPC spends the entire fight taking the Dodge Action and trying to get out of the way

2: I cede control of that NPC and allow a player to handle them in-combat as if there were a PC.

If you, the GM, are using an NPC as a stand-in for either yourself or the character you would like to play, if they are preforming the same role as a player character, if they are directly receiving their own share of special treasure (ie: not simple payment for services rendered during an adventure ) or they are otherwise playing a significant role in the party, you should strongly consider whether or not they belong in the game. NPCs outshining the PC's or doing things -for- them is not a good thing. It's not fun, and as a player it would feel like being dragged along for a ride. There's no good reason to use a DMPC when you could use an NPC
>>
>>53399476
I've been told to make a level 20 character, core book only and cannot use 9th level spells (which means I probably need to multiclass). Any advice for building an illusionist who pretends to be an entire cult?
>>
I'm planning to try out a Barbarian now that my Warlock's dead.

Would it be better to go Zealot or Wolf Totem? Also should I go GWM or PAM if I only plan to get one?
>>
>>53400118
Trickery Cleric and his council of clones.
>>
>>53400130
Been considering that one, but at best I get about 7 or so clones using Invoke Duplicity and Mirror Image.

What if I were to illusionist?
>>
>>53400172
Ask if your Invoke Duplicity's can have their own Mirror Images.

Even if it gives them no mechanical boost, just for cool.

Illusinoists have Mirror Image and that's about it.
>>
>>53399596
>I'm DM'ing Curse of Strahd

Found your mistake. Try running your own campaign you uncreative nigger. You don't even deserve to be considered a dungeon master, a fucking computer could do your job. What the fuck are you adding to the game besides being the receiving end of the players dicks?
>>
>>53400118

Take Animate Dead and cast it at a higher level for lots of skeletons. Dress the skeletons up in black cloaks, masks, boots, and gloves. Maybe use magic or perfume to cover up the smell, or use really old skeletons. Then you're free to use your illusion spells elsewhere.
>>
File: Crane2.jpg (297KB, 643x813px) Image search: [Google]
Crane2.jpg
297KB, 643x813px
>>53400255
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>53399773
For a healbot they are done. Or a side box. DMPC is usually a bad idea unless it's a small party that really needs an extra member.

>>53399796
No, rangers are still a shit tier class. Wizards needs to stop trying to make them casters and actually put them on par with fighters. Their utility spells aren't worth shit and make ranger a shittier druid.
>>
>>53400118
Warlock 3/Wizard Illusionist 17.

Silent Image at will.

With the Illusionist capstone you can Green Lantern giant Adamantium walls and cages to trap or otherwise inconvenience enemies.

It's really as strong as you are creative, the uses are near endless for utility.
>>
File: 1494899257145.png (340KB, 726x542px) Image search: [Google]
1494899257145.png
340KB, 726x542px
>>53400255

Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>53400255
I don't know, do you always act original plays for every show reharsal you put in?
>>
>Cleric edition
>Clearly uses a necromancer

Come on senpai
>>
>>53400411
>Implying only wizards can be necromancers
That's classism.
>>
>>53400295
You. I like you.
But this begs the question...what if I use the living illusion capstone on a silent image cultist?

>>53400277
Not what I was going for, but it's a nice added twist when combined with the above anon's idea.

>>53400242
Gonna be honest with you on this one, as cool as that is, Illusionists have a _lot_ more than just Mirror Image.
>>
>>53400448
>Illusionists have a _lot_ more than just Mirror Image.

Gotta agree, had a player decide to play one and did alot of cc just using the environment.
>>
>>53400431
>The lich warlock doesn't get animate dead

It really activates my almonds
>>
>>53400512
That seems unforgivable, until you realize it's for balance reasons. Since warlocks regenerate their spell slots on short rest, you would be able to raise an army fairly easily.
>>
>>53400537
I remember doing some calculations about this a while ago.

A level 20 Warlock... Has waaaaaaaaaay too many Skeletons. I think it was well over 500 and maybe nearly 800.

Thanks to not needing sleep at that point the Undying never has to Long Rest for exhaustion, he can spend every single hour short resting.
>>
How often do you other DMs reuse settings? Do you make reference to previous player characters and NPCs if you do?
>>
>>53400592
Isn't there a cap on how soon you can short rest? I remember seeing someone talk about it and wasn't sure if it's RAW or not.
>>
>>53400620
Nope, also found the number

768 Skeletons, if they use their level 20 feature it goes up to 800 exactly.

This is all while having EB spam, Invocations and 6-9th spell slots. There's no reasonable way to ever put animate dead on the Warlock's list.
>>
>>53400537
>Borrower of Souls
>Prerequisite: 5th level, Undying patron
>You may cast animate dead once using a warlock spell slot. You may not do so again until you finish a long rest.

That wasn't too hard, was it, WotC?
>>
>>53400600
My DM does it all the time. All our adventures takes place in the same setting, and he advances the timeline - a lot, or a little - each time. Our previous characters so far ended up legendary, but time warps all.
For example, our party's cleric became a saint, with a dedicated monastery and a knightly order. There are lots of stories about him, all of which don't tell about that one time he destroyed three countries by unleashing the demons upon the world, or that one time when it turned out he serves a different deity than he claims to serve, or that one time when he tried to betray and kill his friends in order to advance the agenda of his dark god.
>>
>>53400637
Yeah that'd be broken as fuck, unless you build encounters specifically to fuck up huge swathes of those skeletons.
>>
>>53399605
Looks like they're raising something of an undead abomination and they're not wearing armor. My default would be Wizard (Necromancer).
>>
>>53400648
Who would ever take that though? That gets you 4-8 Skeletons which is honestly not even worth the slot let alone the invocation.

If anything I'd make a Warlock only undead spell that makes one super creature.
>>
Guys I'm DMing a solo campaign for my DM where she is the Chosen One(tm) of the Blood Queen. I want to do a dungeon for her next game, likely involving some artifacts, and a chase/fight with her archrival. Has anyone got any good ideas or solo dungeons I could adapt a bit? I'm very new to DMing (it's actually my first game and this is gonna be the second session).
>>
Any old school ravenloft fans out there?

I'm thinking of adding Gabrielle Aderre to Curse of Strahd somehow
>>
>>53400663
Sounds like the perfect cult
>>
>>53400718
Oh no, the kicker is, he's a saint of the wrong religion. Nobody knows he's a fake and a traitor, and his actual cult forgot his name after 500 years.
>>
Hey /5eg/ i'm having trouble coming up with ideas for a campaign I want to run, think you could help? All i really have is that I want to run it from abuot level 3 up to 20, and there's an elven genocide being carried out by a huge horde of orcs. I have literally no ideas beyond this, I can't even think of how to make a story like this take up 17 levels
>>
File: 1298398936972.jpg (90KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
1298398936972.jpg
90KB, 432x585px
>>53400738
That's actually way better
>>
>>53400753
They're part of a coalition sent to aid in halting the orks, they fight the usual goblins, orks and ogres for a bit. Soon they start dealing with higher up war leaders and chiefs then bam devils are behind it for higher levels. Can mix in some political intrigue with interrupting people supplying orks on the down low, or getting more aid from parties that aren't involved. Some social interactions involve helping relocate displaced elves to new homes and fortifying places against siege.
>>
>>53400448
Youd get a solid and potentially meaty immobile cultist. Pretty sure it explicitly says "inanimate material".
>>
>>53400810
holy moly that actually sounds really interesting, thanks a bunch anon
>>
>>53400753
Just rip off Shadows of Mordor entirely.
https://youtu.be/bGEkOpfVNt4?t=218
>>
>>53400715

I've never run a 1v1 game before, but I do know that TSR published some 1v1 modules back in the day, as did Dungeon magazine. The OSR General trove should have them.

As for running it, be sure to have a contingency if the player dies. Either they get knocked out and captured, or perhaps some greater power won't let them die, because of their Chosen nature.
>>
>>53400715
>>53400919

That was the idea yeah, the backstory she gave me was more tame but I decided on the CO thingy for cases where she happens to get "killed" (it's always going to be knockouts unless there's a way back or really stupid shit happens like jumping off cliffs) and because it makes it more epic I think; I mean if you're gonna have a solo campaign, you want it to be epic I think. That's why I have trouble coming up with things to do, since my mind is telling me to just throw goblins and easy encounters/quests at her until I learn to DM better, but I don't want to make it a run-of-the-mill campaign, hence asking for ideas/premade stuff I can mold.
>>
File: ffc.png (234KB, 840x708px) Image search: [Google]
ffc.png
234KB, 840x708px
>>53400830
No problem m8, the other main thing to do is be sure what level of detail and such your group is ok with, if you catch my meaning. Orks are not typically known for being nice or merciful.
>>
>>53399506
Clerics could always use maces before 3e, I don't know what you're talking about.

>>53399522
Based on deity was only if you used optional rules. Traditionally they were restricted to all blunt weapons.
>>
>>53400282
"I hate both people who look different from me and people who have fun differently from me."
>>
>>53399876
I'll have to disagree with you there my man.
My DM put a Rogue in the party, who in combat just stayed at range shooting his bow, in exploration scouted ahead and brought back some info and navigated us around obvious traps and in social always split from us when we came into a city and did our stuff, to join us later with an extra piece of info or two that he got in the shady spots of town.
It really rounded the party out, since we were two brute martials and a wiz. Then when a Monk player joined us the Rogue DMPC went away, saying he got prospects of a more lucrative, less risky business which, surprise surprise, would come up in the future as plot
I agree it doesn't work for every group though.
>>
>>53400693
It actually gets you only ~1/3/5, because the casting you use to maintain them would keep you from making more.
>>
>>53401027
Oh, yeah, definitely. My idea was that this horde is being led by a misled half-orc after his soulmate was witch-hunted by a group of zealous elves
>>
>>53401433
Sounds faggy.
>>
>>53401496
:^( but he angery
>>
>>53400753
Hey Rui
>>
>>53401518
wat
>>
>>53401433
That works, another would be the devil's have promised them rulership over the land once they eradicate the elves. The truth is the elves protect and maintain an ancient ward/site that helps maintain the balance between the planes. The devil's see it as the easiest to target and the orks are useful idiots facilitating the destruction of the material plane due to a very hostile take over by the hells.
>>
>>53401561
Goddamn, I could never come up with anything like this. Enlighten me with your fantastical visions, anon, I beseech you
>>
>>53399869
Cool I got that covered.
>>
>>53401610
Practice, read books think to yourself "is this a game I'd be blown away by?" Never stop improving.
>>
>>53400753

No. Manage your shit.

Level 3 party should be setting their sights on something like "surviving the night in a haunted house", while level 7's have all the gumption of "Saving the duchess's jewls" and level 12 are more along the lines of stopping the genocide of elves.
>>
How similar are 5e's tabaxi to the catfolk of previous editions?
>>
>>53401719
>party ends up being all dwarves

>don't stop genocide
>>
So my fighter got a Wyrmling in to a sleeper hold by describing their intention and rolling a successful grapple check. Would this be best resolution?;

Use the rules for suffocation without the couple minutes required for suffocation to begin. On the fighters turn he uses his action to further strangle the Wyrmling, contesting strength rolls and knocking off a point of constitution modifier until the Wyrmling is KO'd.
>>
>>53401893
Until Wyrmling is KO'd or succeeds on ending grapple with a successful check*

Should've specified.
>>
>>53400822
Might have to use either major image or minor illusion, and make them mannequins of cultists in the case of silent image.
>>
>>53401719
Any reason why the party can't level up while progressively making larger and larger efforts to stop the genocide?
>>
>>53401881
If I die and get reincarnated (Fuck I hate this spell but it's all I've got) and become a dwarf, should I be a racist? Is it a genetic or taught quality?
>>
>>53401881
>party ends up being all (half-)orcs
>help genocide
ebin
>>
>>53401923
The bit that lets you make illusions real is what I was referring to for inanimate.

So yeah mannequins could work but theyd be immobile. Until you cast Animate Objects on them
>>
>>53401950
Much as I'd love to make a /pol/ joke about being born racist, I've never actually been to that board so...I guess don't be a racist unless you spend your time with a lot of dwarves after reincarnation.
>>
>>53401980
Anon, pat yourself on the back and grab yourself a rum and coke because you're on a roll today.
>>
>>53400291
>Still shit tier
Goddamn it, I love the idea for em but I agree, they should be much more focused on the Martial side. OoV pally it is then
>>
>>53402050
Ignore him, Revised Rangers are decent.
>>
>>53402085
Is BM still the end all be all for subclasses? Not many people seem to dig the other two
>>
>>53402006
Dont get too excited, I forgot that Concentration is a thing. I dont remember if Animate Objects/various Illusion spells both have it but if so that throws a wrench in the plan.
>>
>>53399654
>taking mobile instead of a stat up
Can you really afford to do that?
>>
>>53402112
Beast Conclave is a viable option now, if that's what you meant. Mechanically, it's far better off than it was before.

Fairly certain people only talked about PHB beastmaster rangers instead of the others was because it just sucked *that much*.

Personally I'd go Hunter.
>>
>>53402112
Hunter does it's job good, it's an AoE focused martial who treat single target damage as a secondary role. The issue is that AoE damage never looks as impressive on paper.

Deepstalker's good, very good. The rerolling attack is really good with sharpshooter and GWM.

Horizon Walker's cool but nothing fantastic in numbers. Being able to teleport 10 feet with every attack is one of the best abilities in the game.

Primeval Guardian's pretty fucking OP as is, at will healing.
>>
>>53401990
It's mixed, some studies show babies preferring playmates of their own color. Nothing concrete one way or another though because some contradict that.
>>
>>53402120
Minor Illusion has no concentration, so I could Animate Objects one of those and perhaps some floating knives and swords to make Mister Cultist look like a telekinetic.
>>
>>53402168
Still, you're being reincarnated with every life experience you've had before. It may cause you to want to be around dwarves due to your physical body or your previous race on account of your memories. Honestly, your call.
>>
What's something cooler then a tree I could refluff my Primeval Guardian into?
>>
>>53402245
>implying trees aren't fucking radical
kys
>>
>>53399876
Generally I agree, I divided XP among my players and the NPC after the last fight. When a couple players felt gipped of a bump in their XP I pointed out the NPC didn't join the fight until they explicitly asked her to.
>>
>>53402245
Lou Ferregno
>>
>>53402243
True, I was just offering the word going around in the real world.
>>
Will epic levels ever be a thing again?
Considering they've already statted Tiamat as "killable by a level 20 party" I'm guessing not.
>>
>>53402474
Didn't you hear no one plays past ~level 10!

t.Wizards of the Coast
>>
File: 1494970670496.jpg (301KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1494970670496.jpg
301KB, 724x1024px
Before I get started, I'm the only player that seems to think something is wrong here so I'm not going to have a talk with the group, and I like these people so I don't want to leave the game either.

The game I'm playing in all the PCs are currently undead. One player is playing an antipaladin and is threatening to use command spells and his control undead features to take control of the party if they try to do something other than what he wants to do. My LG character is likely going to ditch group as soon as we get the option to revive. What kind of character should I make my next character? All UA is fair game.
>>
Might be a stupid question but can wizards be religious?
>>
I am running the starter set for a group in a couple days. Any advice for a first time DM? I've never played either. Very nervous!
>>
Tempest clerics, which deity do you serve? They're all evil in FR, but the thing where sailors hire clerics of Umberlee so she doesn't fuck with the ship seems like a decent hook for a neutral cleric of Umberlee.
>>
>>53402561
Talos. My character's not a bad guy, just a bad family and he likes to blow the shit outta things with Lightning. He prefers to do if he gets paid for it of course.
>>
>>53402549
nuclear druid or loremaster
>>
>>53402557
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Wizard,Theurgy%20(UA)

Religion is on their skill list mang.
>>
>>53402557
Nothing says they can't, it just doesn't directly effect them mechanically, unless you're playing a Thaumaturge wizard from the UA.
>>
Is a GWM Hunter a good idea at all? I really like the idea of wilderness guy using a Greataxe.
>>
Anyone have Season 6 adventures from AL yet?
>>
>finally get to multicass into wizard as an ek after slowly growing to hate my small spell selection and watching the paladin outrank and outtank me in in every way
>read over all the spell choices for last minute swaps and to check for mistakes
>"Finally, with War Magic I'll be able to make true strike viable!"
>... search it, just in case
>Sage Advice says it doesnt go into effect until the next round even with that shit
>can use Shocking Grasp+bonus action attack>familiar assist to do the same thing better with more damage anyways

why were they so fucking afraid of this cantrip
>>
>>53402592
Wasn't nuclear druid debunked? Harvest dice only used on one missile not on each dart?
>>
>>53402549
Good aligned necromancer who wrestles control of the party from the anti-paladin before your undead buddies clearly have free will and shouldn't be slaves.
>>
>>53402683
no, raw it works as people say it does, but no dm would really allow it
>>
>>53402712
>Starting at 2nd level, you learn to unravel and harvest the life energy of other creatures. You can augment your spells to drain the life force from creatures. You have a pool of energy represented by a number of d10s equal to your druid level.
>When you roll damage for a spell, you can increase that damage by spending dice from the pool. You can spend a number of dice equal to half your druid level or less. Roll the spent dice and add them to the damage as necrotic damage. If you kill one or more hostile creatures with a spell augmented in this way, you or an ally of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you regains 2 hit points per die spent to increase the spell’s damage, or 5 hit points per die if at least one of the slain creatures was undead.
>You regain the expended dice when you finish a long rest.

>Pool of 20 dice at druid lvl 20
>Can spend 1/2 druid lvl dice on a damage roll
>pool refills on long rest

It works the way people say it does, but in reality you're only dropping that nuke once a day.
>>
>>53402667
3.5 true strike was breddy gud in almost every way - arcane archer with all slots in that was an effective way to kill things.

I agree it's dumb what they've done so whenever I'm at a loss for an ability for a homebrewed archetype for a spellcaster I throw in a version that's enhanced in some way.
>>
>>53402597
Are you the guy from a couple threads ago who fucks off into the wilderness and ignores rp or whatever.
>>
>>53402830
No? Is there an interesting story to that?
>>
>>53402813
>It works the way people say it does, but in reality you're only dropping that nuke once a day.
If you face bosses more than once a day, you're playing an intense campaign
>>
>>53399476
>Forge cleric gets heavy armor, abilities to help him go into melee and fight, improved divine strike, but no martial weapon proficiency. What gives?
>not playing a dorf

what kind of knife-eared faggot are you?
>>
>>53402813
Well you don't even need that. The real issue is it's not a gimicky build with no place in other fights, it can spread out that damage.

only need 2 dice and a 2nd level Missile to deal an average of 58 damage at level 4 with no save or attack roll, you can do that twice per day or even spread it out to 3 or 4 times. It's just a way to instantly kill the biggest, baddest threat with no trouble.

Level 5 you can deal 72.5 damage twice, that's enough to kill a young dragon.
>>
>>53402667
True Strike is absolutely fucking useless.

Also Paladin will still be better than you.
>>
Should I as a dm have my bandits attempt to grapple the PCs? I know monsters have grapple-on-hit mechanic, but what are the rules for regular humanoid enemies? Same rules as for PCs?
>>
>>53403229
yes and yes
>>
>>53403229
Yes, literally play enemies like you would play a character because if the 8 INT Barb can figure out these tactics then so can they. If the players see enemies using cool combat tricks and environmental effects then it'll encourage them to do it as well.

Plus it'll up the dificulty of weaker enemies even when the players are higher levels.
>>
>>53403252
All grapple does is lock you in place. It doesn't stop you from shivving them with your sword when they waste their action pulling you in close.

Tripping someone (or rather, shoving them prone), however...that can get nasty.
>>
File: little blackbeard.png (361KB, 458x426px) Image search: [Google]
little blackbeard.png
361KB, 458x426px
Is Chaff Powerwind a good name for a dorky Elven Wizard? I'm blocking some traveler NPCs and I can't stop laughing at the idea of this total nerd elf who's trying to learn how to turn other people into elves and is terrible at it near the beginning but later becomes a menace after accidentally turning an entire human town into elves.
>>
>>53403359
That's a very 80s name.
>>
File: 1487225772176.png (314KB, 486x455px) Image search: [Google]
1487225772176.png
314KB, 486x455px
>>53403359
That name is a waste on a dork.
>>
>>53403392
that's the joke
>>
>>53403343
Shove+Grapple so they can't get up.

Also grappling ranged attackers.
>>
>>53403409
I know, it's still a waste unless you have something better for the other NPCs.
>>
File: 1303769950892.png (70KB, 534x443px) Image search: [Google]
1303769950892.png
70KB, 534x443px
As a fighter, what can I do in combat to make things more interesting than just "I hit the guy"?
>>
>>53403470
Have you tried also pushing the guy?
>>
>>53403479
I mean, I could, but we almost always flank our enemies anyway, so all that'll do is piss off our archer for giving him disadvantage
>>
I'm taking magic initiate for my SS fighter and I'm not sure what lvl 1 spells are good for getting advantage on hits or escaping from 5ft range. I'm not looking at getting hex for reasons and I'm stuck on looking at alternatives.
>>
>>53403497
What about looking the guy in the eyes to assert dominance?
>>
>>53403470
Is this just your problem or does the entire party feel like this with weapon characters?

If all of them do then I suggest a third party supplement that adds in new weapon abilities and actions. There was one in the last thread that looked decent, my DM uses his own based on another.
>>
My FLCGS has four or five groups of Adventurer's League running on Wednesdays with 7-12 players in each. I'm considering offering to start running a group so that the other groups won't have so many fucking players to deal with.

Anyone got any tips for running Adventurer's League?
>>
Divine intervention only work with your God? Can I ask a cleric of a different god to be a medium of mine?
>>
>>53403470
As long as you aren't a Champion fighter, you got a shitload you can do outside of push/prone/grapple
>>
>>53403520
This is on behalf of another player I got. He chose fighter to get a handle on the system, but I get the impression that he's feeling a bit left out with the entire party being at least a half caster, so I'm looking into options for him.

Could you post those supplements if you have them?
>>
>>53403541
I don't, but the one I know off the top of my head is "Beyond Damage Dice". Kobold Press is pretty shitty, but this is surprisingly well thought out.

There's a few things that'll need tweaking but most of it's really good. It should be in the mega under "Third Party" and "Kobold Press".
>>
>>53403541
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/Third%20party/Kobold%20Press/Beyond%20Damage%20Dice.pdf

I come bearing a gift from last thread. Not 100% sure it will work since it would when I tried to with my phone but here it is from some anon who want advice on if it was good or not.
>>
File: 1469580289256.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1469580289256.png
51KB, 657x527px
how do i find people to play with?
>>
>>53403700
Try being a real human being with a healthy social life, make some friends, play with them.
>>
File: 1469598302920.jpg (46KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1469598302920.jpg
46KB, 612x612px
>>53403791
i guess i'll never find people to play with
>>
>>53403800
Don't worry anon. You're not alone in your pathetic, subhuman existence. That's what Roll20 is for.
>>
>>53403700
reddit.
>>
>>53403819
>That's what Roll20 is for.
>>53403829
>reddit.

Might as well give up now, anon.
>>
I think people are too harsh on the sorcerer, metamagic is fun and there's some fun roleplay with the fact that you're not exactly sure what you're doing. Am I wrong? Is PHB sorcerer only for plebs?
>>
>>53403847
Is PHB sorcerer only for plebs?
it's not so much that, it's just that Sorcerer is Diet Wizard.
>>
>>53403847
It's not that bad. The difference in power levels in this game is pretty low and 9/10 you'll be just as good as most casters. The only issue is Spells Known.

Personally I'd like to see more options like the Shadow Sorcerer, with a single pretty good spell they can cast for 1SP that's their bread and butter and they get bonuses for using.
>>
>>53403847
Sorcerer isn't bad, but because wizard is potentially better, and /5eg/ has a raging nerd-on for mechanical optimization, sorcerer gets shit on.
>>
File: dragonhoardupload.jpg (55KB, 350x247px) Image search: [Google]
dragonhoardupload.jpg
55KB, 350x247px
>>53403847
>and there's some fun roleplay with the fact that you're not exactly sure what you're doing
Nah, I roleplay my Draconic Bloodline Sourcerer as feeling inherently superior to all those other caster plebs. Warlocks and Clerics have to have their power bestowed upon them and a Wizard has to lock themselves in a library for half their lives to learn anything. Me? The power of the arcane flows through me, and my huge ego has everything to do with that and nothing to do with the fact that I have a genetic deposition to think higher of myself than others
>>
>Diplomat feat
Is it just me or is this shit busted
>>
>>53403847
Sorcerers actually make for a badass support. Metamagic + their battlefield control repetoir? Yes please.

I am of the opinion that they are actually superior to wizards in that regard.
>>
>>53403503
Find familiar is good for advantage on hits. You can get your animal pal to take the help action and have advantage on your next hit.
Thunderwave is good for escaping 5 ft range, especially when surrounded.
True Strike will guarentee a hit, but its absolute steaming garbage.

remember that with magic initiate, you only get to cast that first level spell once per day. I glossed over that and made an ek as my first 5th ed char with magic initiate and shield. I was fucked.
>>
>>53403919
>I am of the opinion that they are actually superior to wizards in that regard.
I would like to hear your reasoning behind this.
>>
File: Old woman.jpg (30KB, 190x270px) Image search: [Google]
Old woman.jpg
30KB, 190x270px
How are bards tier 1 again?

>No time stop
>No wish
>No shapechange
>No Anti magic field
>No metamagic
>No miracle
>>
>>53404038
>can take spells from any class
>>
>>53404038
Magical Secrets, they can get all those spells while having skills and buff options.

Plus Time Stop sucks dick.
>>
>>53404047
to expand on this, at 18th level they get two spells from any class, at 17th level they get 9th level spells.

They literally can take all the spells you mentioned in your post, barring miracle because it doesn't exist.
>>
>>53404038
Time stop is terrible, Wish is a fucking gamble, metamagic is mostly crap in this edition, Miracle isn't a thing.
>>
>>53403959
I'm usually the parties way of repairing their broken stuff so I'll be taking mending along with one other cantrip. But the 1st level looks like it's probably going to be hex, u just realized I can choose a save that they have disadvantage on which means I can attempt battlemaster trip and disarm attacks with an advantage on the enemy.
>>
>>53404118
Doesn't give disadvantage on saves, only ability checks. So it means your normal shoves, grapples and etc. work with it.
>>
>>53404118
Good planning, best of luck to you anon.
>>
>>53403959
Find familiar doesn't work with ranged adv on hits right? I asked my GM and he said it's only adv for melee.
>>
Not him, but support Sorcerer can work, Ray of Frost for early battlefield control, on 3rd level they can twin enlarge/reduce to get 2 martial hulks, on 5th they can twin haste on allies, those are the buffing uses I can think of, not used to Sorcerer spell list.
Now add Favored Soul to the mix and you got perfect support.

Basically they can do the work of 2 wizards on that front.
>>
Are there any particular feats I should pick up as an Artificer? I was thinking Ritual Caster.
>>
>>53404118
Warlock doesn't have Mending on its cantrips list, anon.
>>
>>53404186
It wouldn't make sense for its help action not to apply to a ranged attack roll (its giving you an opening by swooping in and distracting/crawling up a pant leg), but if your dm rules it as a hard no, its sadly a hard no.
>>
Kinda wanna play a monk deeply in-tune with spirits.
How does long death 14/6 death cleric sound?
Reflavoring some of the necromancy spells to spirits aiding.
Going 6 cleric so I can have spiritual guardians and bestow curse.

>level 20 meme
Yeah, we actually hit level 20 because we level extremely fast. Also why multiclassing isn't so bad.
>>
>>53403700
Coworkers, family, neighbors, friends, cute barista girls
>>53403829
kys
>>
>>53404354
I meant to add:
The biggest problem for me is that thematically I think it works but then I lose out on some cool monk shit, especially going invisible and astral projection which is pretty damn spiritual.

I guess my question is does it work well enough or am I better off just going death monk all the way?
>>
>>53399773
>>53399839
>>53399876

My DM has 100% of all NPC characters that join us either die or leave for plot reasons after no more than half a session. I talked to him about once and he said it was an easy way to get us into the story but felt is faux pas to adventure with us. So he has some limits on the npcs joing us like

1. No more than once every 3 sessions
2. Always gotta leave as soon as they're done or die before the session ends
3. They have to be following you in a way that makes sense

Of the few we've had they've always disappeared after a combat or 2. The mage scholar ran and hid all combat until cornered when he did some blasting to stay safe but nothing else. The guard captain defended his outpost and spent most his time trying to save his guards/the remains of the burning out post. When he did follow us it was only as far a session so we could go on multi-day journey to warn the duke of what was happening. He has since been absent. The merchant we hitched a ride with mostly just bitched about the economy and made fun of us when we got into conflicts. All soldiers die within the first 2 rounds of combat.
>>
>playing Revised Ranger
>reach 7th Level
>tfw Escape the Horde and Multiattack Defense are the most useful options but Steel Will makes the most sense for my paranormal investigator/exterminator character

Have you ever been in a position where you were stuck between most mechanical benefit and best roleplay?
>>
>>53404408
Escape the Horde's pretty good and my favorite, though Steel Will isn't too bad. I'd say take Steel Will because it fits and fear effects can be pretty common.
>>
>>53404408
Just go for the roleplay, you'll be glad you did when it comes up.

That is unless you're playing a hard core dungeon crawl. Always go with what fits, my dude.
>>
Would it be overly bullshit to play a Soul-Knife Mystic whose powers are fluffed as being a minor form of blessing from a character's faith or the spirits associated with it?
Alternatively my character could just be low-key crazy in that one regard.
>>
>>53404425
Fluff is whatever you want it to be. I've never encountered any fluff that was bullshit unless they start trying to get mechanical benefits for it.
>>
>>53404425
All mystics have mild autism according to v3 fluff. Might as well be spiritual autism.
>>
Hey /5eg/, Got a conundrum.

How do I have a pet army when I can't be a Warlock or Necromancy Wizard because PLOT! 'n' LORE!
>>
>>53404425
If anything it's better then "I'll stab you, with my MIND".
>>
>>53404448
>>53404439
Good to know.

On a similar merit it should be fine to claim the two soul weapon things in question is some sorta two-handed object instead of dumb hand-laserblades, right? You already can't hold other objects and such while they're equipped.
>>53404458
Honestly I just want to slap people with a mind-bludgeon.
>>
>>53399773

I never do DMPCs. I just always have a few NPCs I keep in a folder and adjust accordingly as the party levels should circumstances dictate. If you're running a DMPC, then deep down inside you know you're sitting on the wrong end of the screen.
>>
I was invited to play with a group of friends and this guy I dislike is DMing. I have never played 5e before but I've played all the previous iterations of DnD, what is the most annoying and broken/unfair class concept I can play to just try and ruin the game for everyone else?
>>
>>53404457
They won't be strong pets but if your DM is cool with alternate feats, grab the one for animal handling skill that lets you command an animal. Pick a forest gnome and have a pet squirrel or woodpecker or something.
For the class pick a beastmaster ranger.
Take the urchin background for a pet mouse too.

Use all the summon spells.
>>
>>53404490
>I have never played 5e before but I've played all the previous iterations of DnD, what is the most annoying and broken/unfair class concept I can play to just try and ruin the game for everyone else?
Faggot.
If this isn't bait, kill yourself.
If it is bait, still kill yourself.
>>
>>53404038
The fact that spells balanced for high level Paladins/Rangers (laugh at it) are available to low to mid level to Bards.

Which is silly.
>>
>>53404490
Four Elements Monk, classes now have sub classes and Monks of the four Elements are hella broken.
>>
How good are wizards if your dm guarantees you will only learn spells on level up, never from any other source?
>>
>>53404529
fuck off dude, don't help him
>>
>>53404543
read his answer though.

It's funny.
>>
>>53404536
Still very fucking good.
Not giving out spell scrolls though? Kinda silly imo. They're nice.
>>
>>53404543
Fuck you, I'll also recommend him to try a Beast Master Ranger.
>>
>>53404551
whooooosh
>>
>>53404490
These guys are trying to bait you into playing something shit.
Here's what you do.

Pick a wild magic sorcerer. If you get lucky you get to cast fireball at level 1 which is something you can't normally do until level 5.
>>
>>53404552
Yeah, game is 100% lolrandom and flying by the seat of this dudes pants.
>>
>>53404477
>dumb hand-laserblades
It's like you don't even want to be a Protoss Zealot anon
>>
>>53404563
Well you'll still have access to a ton of shit.
More than what you can prepare iirc.
>>
>>53404568
I want to be a very subtle reference to something else, so no.
Plus I never actually played a Starcraft before
However, the concept is still amusing to my head, I just find it troublesome that there's no real mechanical variety in what you make out of your mind.
>>
>>53404561
>helping someone be a cunt

from his message it sounds like he deserves to be disliked, why enable him?
>>
>>53404495
I'm just going to be a knock squirrell girl aren't I?
>>
>>53404647
Yes.

Alternatively if you just want spirit pets, ask your DM if you can play a shepherd druid.
>>
>>53404634
Because shit DMs deserve to get shit back
>>
File: JollyBush.png (353KB, 431x386px) Image search: [Google]
JollyBush.png
353KB, 431x386px
>>53404561
>If you get lucky you get to cast fireball at level 1 which is something you can't normally do until level 5.
>>
File: GMPC Mace Windu.png (112KB, 1820x312px) Image search: [Google]
GMPC Mace Windu.png
112KB, 1820x312px
>>53399773
stop using the word wrong
>>
>>53404679
But Mace Windu was a boring asshole, and his character was trash. While I mainly dislike the prequels, Liam's perfomance was good. I don't even mind rewatching the Phanton Menace because of him.
>>
>>53404661
What makes you think the DM is the shit person here? Some random anons word when he has a scheme to ruin an entire game for everyone at the table?
>>
>>53403470

Disarm the guy and kick his weapon away.
Sweep the leg, Johnny.
Shove him into an environmental hazard or spell effect area.
Grapple the enemy caster and force feed him a flask of alchemist's fire.
Knock fliers out of the sky with a javelin or crossbow bolts.
Leap into the fray and engage the enemy so your squishier allies can freely get out of the way and not get AOOed.
I hope you chose battlemaster
>>
Something I'm unclear on, RAW: I know that the PH allows players to forfeit the starting equipment from their background and purchase their own with their rolled starting gold instead. But does buying your own equipment also forfeit the starting equipment from your class?
>>
>>53404801
You forfeit class equipment not background when you do that.
>>
>>53404503
Kill yourself elitist retard
>>
>>53404815
No, you lose your background equipment too. It's dumb, but it's true.
>>
>>53403497
>Flanking rules
>>
>>53404855
At first I didn't understand the hate, but then I played a Mastermind with flanking rules in the game.
>>
>>53404815
>>53404849
I'm so happy my DM just gets everyone to use the max value for their class gold, the encumbrance rules help balance that though.
>>
>>53404848
Sure, but you first. Can't believe some people actually trying to help.
>>
>>53404871
Why? Are you so fucking edgy you cant stand it when people help other people
>>
>>53404864
What was the issue? You didn't get any use out of your bonus action?

I haven't read the rules in a long time. Don't they just give advantage?
>>
>>53404876
Nah, quite the opposite. I'm so far the other direction I don't approve of you trying to join a game with a person you don't like for the express purpose of ruining everyone else's fun.
That's what a faggot does and you should unironically kill yourself.
>>
>>53404490
Bladelock, pact of the blade.
Spend your invocations on thr broken shit like extra attack on a warlock you get from the pact and pick up the SCAG booming blade cantrip and you can use warlock's hex and shit with that stuff. You don't need any extra material other than SCAG, really.
You'll be a full caster and yet also outdo the fighter in melee.
And, heck, you can summon weapons at-will.
>>
>>53404878
Mastermind's whole schtick is giving an advantage. Gaining it easily for flanking makes it worthless, and also many other things, such as shieldmaster and reckless attack.
>>
>>53404878
Flanking rules is 'for doing really simple dumb thing everybody gets advantage so there's no point trying to think of ways to get advantage anymore'
>>
>>53404908
>>53404909
Right, that's what I figured.
Yeah, it would be pretty dumb. I can see your issue.
>>
>>53404889
Wasn't even him
>>
>>53404901
Don't forget that you also need to take either Great Weapon Master (+10 dmg per hit, -5 on attack rolls is negligible if you can get advantage from eg Darkness + Devil's Sight) or Polearm Master (extra attack + Hex = much dmg).

A Fighter level helps, since then you can get a fighting style (usually GWM) and heavy armor.

How should the Warlock use Booming Blade, though? It only does damage if the enemy moves willingly. If you've got War Caster it gives you pretty powerful opportunity attacks (since the opponent will move anyways), but using it in melee requires you to force the opponent to move, which is difficult. It makes more sense if you can Disengage as a bonus action (like a Rogue), since that may leave the opponent without an enemy to attack.
>>
>>53401987
>>53403695
Are these legitimate issues?
>>
>>53405116
I don't even like 4e and I think those are nagging issues with other editions of D&D. D&D muggles are so repetitive, and have so little usefulness outside of murder and basic skillchecks.

When I'm not GM I avoid playing them. Making them more interesting requires some form of "powers" or magic, or requires reinventing a much more interesting combat system with different ways to specialize and way more options.
>>
http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/items/drowitems.shtml

It's there a good 5e write-up of drow house insignias, or do I need to convert the one from 3.5?
>>
>>53405099
>missing the joke this much
>>
>>53405164
The "Drow Magic" feat and natural Drow talents cover most of their spells. I would make a magic item that functions like the Drow Magic feat.

So at-will Detect Magic and once per day Levitate and Dispel Magic.
>>
>>53405187
House insignia are not typically used for the standard racial magics (though a couple racial spells from 2e got shunted into insignia spells in 3e, like levitate).

But you also see them with stuff like blur, and invisibility, and other things, as they're not all supposed to be the same in terms of their abilities, and some of them are supposed to have more abilities than others.

They do seem to all be multiple spell in a can items though.
>>
>>53405217
>>53405187
So, no official write-up for them, then?

I didn't see one in out of the abyss, but I figured it might just be elsewhere.
>>
File: 40kek.jpg (196KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
40kek.jpg
196KB, 780x780px
>>53400255
I have vague feeling that this guy makes furry campaigns that nobody wants to play
>>
File: 1495549818609.png (121KB, 425x339px) Image search: [Google]
1495549818609.png
121KB, 425x339px
>DM gets really depressed when I immediately answer "the moon" to his copy pasted white plume mountain riddle
>>
>>53405329
>reading "things mr Welch is not allowed to do in RPGs"
>Get to the "I will not beat Tomb of Horrors in less than 10 minutes from memory" part
This was funny once, but by now, everyone in this thread probably can do it quite easily, with just combat being the difficult part.
>>
>>53400255
>APs are bad!
Not everyone has time to plan a campaign from scratch all the time. An AP is fantastic for the times when your available campaign prep time is limited.

In a couple weeks I'll be staying a customized "Out of the Abyss". If I wasn't using a book, I straight up would not have the time to gm for the next few months.

(Also, if I had time to run something from scratch I'd probably be running a GURPS campaign I've been wanting to run for a while, not 5e).
>>
Am I right that there's only one of each weapon type? A shortsword is a shortsword unless it's magical, no better crafting materials?
>>
>>53405595
Adamantine and mithril are now magic items, just like dwarven plate.
>>
>>53405606
Struggling to find information on stuff like that in the DMG or PHB. Running my first game soon and basically wondering what to put in shops in the city.

I've got the impression so far that the damage dice of each weapon don't really change, it's just players make more attacks with bigger modifiers?
>>
>>53405677
>wondering what to put in shops in the city
Don't put in magic items. 5e runs under assumption that magical walmarts, where you can find +2 weapons, is not a thing. Magic items must be earned.

>I've got the impression so far that the damage dice of each weapon don't really change, it's just players make more attacks with bigger modifiers?
Yes, this is correct.
>>
Is there any way to do xp that is better/more interesting than just "kill shit, level up" or milestones?
>>
>>53405707
Thank you, I'll stock shops with the weapons from the PHB then and have a look through the magic items list for rewards later on in the campaign.

Currency is my other issue. DMG has recommended bounty for the party to find but not too much in terms of where to spend it and how much. Bar poison which seems super expensive.
>>
>>53405770
As a reward for roleplaying or character development, also, social encounters in general
>>
Best character creation walkthrough on youtube for a total newb? One that explains why each number is what it is. One that I'll finish watching and end up knowing the most?
>>
>>53404195
>>53404195
At 4th level, the sorc can cast 3 twinned enlarges with 2 1st level slots remaining. The wiz can cast 4 normal enlarges with 4 1st level slots remaining.

The basic pattern is that the sorc has no more magic than the wiz, but metamagic lets them blow it faster. They cast fewer spells but get more effect out of each.

Wizard's advantage is having better spells to begin with.
>>
>>53405770
In my DM's campaign it's like this:
You can only gain XP during long rests (which take 7 days as per the realism variant and require you to go to town, short rests take 8h). During these long rests you choose what kind of activities you do. You spend a certain amount of gold on these activities, and you gain XP equal to the amount of gold you spend.

I personally don't like it much. It takes super long to progress and often you'll finish an encounter that takes up a full session but get literally nothing out of it. Maybe some people like it but I get bored if I don't get to choose some new spells and roll some extra HP every now and then because it feels like you're progressing.

But it should be clear that not every encounter needs to be finished by killing shit. Convincing the evil wizard to part with his magic item in return for some other artifact or service or whatever should net you the same kind of XP as killing and looting him.
>>
>>53405836
>Character creation
Anon, in 5e it's as simple as it gets.
>>
Is Maegara really a bit of an overrated bitch? Seems her CR is unjustifiably high.
>>
>>53405861
Sure. But which walkthrough makes it the simplest while also explaining what does what and the implications and shit.

For example a video I was watching chose a background, saw the background gave you 5 GP and he entered in 15 GP without a comment. Ideally whatever video I would watch would say "5 GP for this background plus 10GP for X class, which is standard for all classes equals 15GP."

I need it spelled out because I have no idea what this game is.
>>
>>53404527
Not at the moment, no. Maybe you can fluff something out of a spellcaster like favored soul.
>>
>>53405836
Yeah, >>53405861 is right. The PHB has 'quick build' options for every class, just have a look there.

There's no 'wrong' build, any character can be effective (although some are more effective than others).
>>
>>53405800
In my experience individual XP creates more problems than it solves, and it also means roleplaying well makes you better at killing since that's mostly what XP does. Wouldn't inspiration be better there?

>>53405854
Gold for xp is not balanced in 5e but if you change up the numbers it can probably work as well as in OSR, where it does encourage clever solutions to combat and not just rushing into battle at every opportunity. The long rest level-up requirement isn't too bad but I think 7 day long rests are horrible in D&D, it's not the game for that type of thing at all. At least in my experience it just makes the game even slower, without even providing the "realism" it is implemented for (injuries and recovery is quite abstract, but the biggest obstacle there is HP, not how long you need to recover).
>>
>>53405898
Paladin quick build: STR 15 CHA 14 choose noble background

That won't help me make a complete character sheet, anon. Again I'm looking for the best character creation walkthrough on youtube for a total newb. One that explains what and why each number is. One that I'll finish watching and end up with a complete character sheet, knowing why each number is what it is and what their significance is.

Writing it out, I guess I should just read the whole PHB. :/
>>
>>53405798
Feel free to place a reasonable amount of magical trinkets, utility items and a limited amount of consumables in shops.

Just make sure players can't go hopping for straight numerical boosts, things like Ropes of Climbing, Bags of Holding and Boots of Striding and Springing are all fair items to have for sale.

Another thing is Silvered weapons cost an extra 100gp and they'll want some pretty quick.

Other then that just make sure they have to pay for stuff. Be it papers to cross countries, houses to stay or whores to spend time with.
>>
>>53405931
>I guess I should just read the whole PHB
Yes, you probably should. But this should be enough.
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PlayerBasicRulesV03.pdf

You want page 6.
>>
>>53405951
Thanks
>>
>>53402662
Looks like the only one out so far is A Thousand Tiny Deaths. This is a weird season, basically you're supposed to run the AL adventures and the HC, because every AL is either a prequel or sequel to one of the dungeons in the book. But there's also Epics modules that aren't going to go on the DMsguild.
>>
What is the easiest class for a beginner? Is there such a thing?
>>
>>53405990
Rogue, impossible to fuck up as long as you begin with 16 DEX.

Even Fighters and stuff need the right feats for damage and shit.
>>
>>53405990
>What is the easiest class for a beginner
You want a non-caster. Champion fighter, if you really hate yourself. Any other fighter, or a rogue, if you don't. Barbarian is also an option.
>>
>>53405998
Is it a good idea to make a rogue as a first character to learn the game? In the same way that you want to try a non-blue deck when learning MTG because you don't have to grapple with instants counters and other bullshit?
>>
>>53406000
would also like your input on
>>53406006
>>
>>53406006
Nope, as long as you read Sneak Attack and actions in combat then it's impossible to fuck up.

Bonus Action hide behind cover or disengage and then a ranged attack against anyone with an ally next to them.
>>
>>53406006
In my experience, beyond casters (and even they can remember to shoot their Fire Bolt or whatever pretty easy), the biggest example of a new player underperforming due to not understanding their abilities is when they're playing a Rogue and they aren't very good at triggering Sneak Attack. Doubly so if they go Assassin, for the same reason; lots of different conditions and possibilities to remember, and if you don't, you might gimp yourself for the round. It's not that complicated in the grand scheme of things, but for someone who doesn't normally do the whole d20 thing, and especially when they're still trying to remember Proficiency + Dex and how to dual wield and everything...meh. Wouldn't recommend.
>>
>>53406006
The only thing you don't get any of is resource management, which is importan to learn but you can do so later when you roll a caster or really any other class than rogue.
>>
>>53406028
>dual wield
New player should be going Ranged rogue, Swashbuckler and BB/GFB is too much for a newer player.

Ranged keeps their d8 Hitdie out of attack range and they can hide better.
>>
>>53406028
thanks for your reply. So what class(es) would you recommend for the absolute newbie?
>>
>>53406043
Meh, I was with a guy the other day that just really wanted to get the ol' swords out and cut people. Plus it was a pretty melee-light party so it helped. I don't think it's something to just dismiss.
>>
>>53406045
Battlemaster fighter is a good balance between simple and fun.
>>
>>53406054
Is that my only choice?
>>
>>53406054
Agreed, and it has a resource to track, so it'll get you used to that. Plus you can build them as melee or ranged.
>>
>>53406061
If you want a spellcaster then Clerics can actually be decent. The spellist is daunting but it's hard to fuck up and take spells that'll be worthless, plus you have armour and weapons to keep you pretty safe.
>>
>>53406062
Cool. Thanks
>>
>>53406061
I think it's smarter to take Fighter as a whole and worry about your subclass later. Fighter itself is simple and gives you an early look at resource management. Once you hit level 3 you can branch depending on how you're doing.

Like hitting things and not making decisions? Champion.

Wanna step it up? Battlemaster.

Really wanna go for it, Eldritch Knight gives casting, though I hear it's not that good.

I personally hold to the idea that anyone can start with whatever class and do okay as long as they're half-smart and don't screw their build, and even then it's not that big of a deal. But if you DO want to play it safe, that kind of comes with limited options, because you're only looking at the safest ones.
>>
>>53406076
Not sure is recommend cleric, it has a daunting spell list, full of situational options, and multiple resources with both long and full rest recharges. Perhaps less of a factor is that it gets is archetype at one, meaning you don't get a chance to feel out the class or character
>>
Do people normally roll for stats or use the pre set values / points system?
>>
>>53406130
If I want a jesus like character, is paladin good? Same newb anon. Or does that have too many things to juggle as well?
>>
>>53406150
I haven't rolled for stats in a long time and thak fuck for that.
>>
>>53406150
Most groups I've run into roll, but it's a touchy subject on /tg/
I personally recommend rolling only for shorter campaigns, one shots or games expected to have high character turnover, like hardcore dungeon crawls
>>
>>53406150
I think array is most common but depends on your group. If you take array you can be pretty assured of ending up with something at least that good at the table.

>>53406154
Paladin is...fairly simple being only 1/3 caster. But define Jesus? Because I think that normally does come more under Cleric.
>>
>>53406154
Paladins have similar resources, but in lower number. The biggest difference is that all of a paladins resources can safely go towards near identical actions, whereas a cleric has multiple things they can do competing for their resources and time, and knowing which to do when can be much harder
Essentially, a paladins can never go wrong hitting things and smiting, but a cleric typically is juggling spell choices, and also wants to save for emergency situations
>>
>>53406174
From what I understand, paladins can be more loners than clerics and clerics are more religious and regimented than paladins. Paladins can have personal relationships with their gods independent of religion and strictures and societal formalizations but clerics not so much.

I want some sort of shaman, mystic-type character, who isn't afraid to flip some tables and chase people with a whip.
>>
>>53406210
Paladins don't necessarily have anything at all to do with gods. Clerics are a god's personal servant and above the average priest, they're like the people who would be talking directly to their god and not always listening to the Church.
>>
>>53406210
Preferably with a holy bent, if possible.
>>
>>53406154
>jesus like character
That's a cleric. If you're playing cleric, let me teach you a lesson early. Do NOT fall for the healing meme.

This is not World of Warcraft, your healing will never outpace enemy's damage - and you should concentrate on buffing your allies and killing/hindering your enemies. The only healing you should do, while in combat, is Healing Word, which is done with your bonus action and is ranged, and only when your allies are downed and dying. The reason is simple - people fight just as well with 1 HP as they do with 210.
While out of combat, pop a Prayer of Healing - it's very powerful, but has a very long casting time.
>>
>>53406210
Frankly, any character with the acolyte background would work to a certain extent. Do you want literal magic, or is faith enough?
>>
>>53406244
I disagree entirely, while it's easy to say that on paper, in practice I've found that keeping people one hit above hitting 0 is infinitely more effectiveand not particularly hard top achieve if you pay attention to enemy damage output and positioning. Plus, prayer of heading is overrated, most of the time if you have 10 minutes you have an hour to sort rest
>>
>>53402559
Biggest advice, pull your punches a little for the first encounter.

4 Goblins getting an ambush can EASILY focus fire one player down and next turn do the same to the next, leading to it ending before you started.

I might advise having the party stumble upon the last goblins picking over the scraps rather than getting ambushed.
>>
>>53406269
Anon, I've played cleric for three campaigns now, and healing is mostly worthless.
>>
>>53406252
>Do you want literal magic, or is faith enough?

Maybe literal magic, but whatever gets me closest to the mystic/saint archetype. Nothing that requires reagents and spell circles etc. So not wizard. Sorcerer I guess is what I want.
>>
>>53406277
I've had one of the players spot goblin's nose sticking out of the bushes. /pol/ jokes started immediately.
>>
>>53406289
I just finished playing a2 year long campaign where I ended as a15 cleric. If healing is worthless, you aren't doing it right, or your DM doesn't use or utilize intelligent enemies
>>
I'm writing up an abandoned underground library that's now being used by a Spirit Naga as a lair. I've only just started learning about these monsters, can somebody help me out in terms of what sorts of minions they might have? Other than like, Snakes that they've somehow bent to their will? This is for a very low-level party so hopefully some CR 1/4 or even 1/8s to start with.
>>
File: a93.png (444KB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
a93.png
444KB, 500x392px
>>53406299
>>
>>53406295
Favored Soul sorcerer with acolyte background seems a reasonable fit, although I could also see anything from ancestor spirit barbarian to undying light warlock
>>
>>53406371
Thanks anon.
>>
>>53406371
>Favored soul

This is UA. How common is it for UA to be allowed? I'll be playing with strangers at a game shop.
>>
>>53405915
I agree. It doesn't -feel- very balanced using gold for XP because, as I said, you should at least reward players for finishing an encounter. Just include rewards for finishing it in an "alternative way". A boss you diplomatically deal with might give you info on where to find a magic weapon or something for instance.

And yes, 7 day long rests are way too slow. Maybe if your campaign is more focused around intrigue than about combat, but DnD is intrinsically designed around dungeoncrawling and fighting monsters. It's called "Dungeons and Dragons" after all.

>>53405931
It does though. But of course it assumes you know at least the basic rules about how your stats work. If you can't be assed to read the first fifteen pages of a rulebook probably DnD isn't for you.

>>53406000
The Champion feels super boring to me though. But if you just want to hit things and nothing else it's fine. I'd recommend a class with some nuance, but not one as versatile as a full caster. So basically choose anything except Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer or Warlock.
>>
>>53402163
If I'm going the melee route am I better off focusing str and going gwm regardless?
>Horizon Walker
>Primeval Guardian
What are these? I've never seen em
>>
For what kind of spells would it make sense for a spellcaster to go into melee range? I'm trying to see why a Bladesinger would bother stabbing something when he can just blast it.
>>
What would the Outsider from Dishonored be as a patron?
>>
>>53402163
>at will healing
I thoguht this was fixed in a later update? Can't see anything now though.

>>53406552
Unearthed Arcana
>>
What're the best ways you've seen a campaign start, specifically for tying together characters of varied dispositions and morals?

Loot and treasure? Great looming evil? Did the party already know each other before starting? Something else?

I'm interested to hear the campaign beginnings that stuck out to you all and why
>>
>>53406483
Always ask your DM, but it's more common than not, outside of AL to accept at least some UA than to refuse outright.
That being said, while it's the best fit for a priestly sorcerer, whatever archetype you pick should work fine, since origins aren't an in character choice anyway
>>
>>53406612
Great Old One.

Drawing power from an incomprehensible being that fades in and out of existence.

Gameplay wise Crovo is more of a Shadow Monk.
>>
>>53406626
I like frontier town openings. They let your party have any number of initial reasons to be there, and almost anything works, while also providing a common goal inherent to the locale, survival, long and short term
>>
>>53401951
It's not necessarily wrong, but it does make me suspect you run other parts of the game in a 3.x style.
>roll high for different things
Pretty well confirms it. It's not an incurable problem though, and it's not incompatible with gestalt PCs either. Gestalt has its own pitfalls and limitations covered well previously.
>>
>>53406545
>It does though. But of course it assumes you know at least the basic rules about how your stats work. If you can't be assed to read the first fifteen pages of a rulebook probably DnD isn't for you.

I'm glad you weren't in this thread when I asked that question. I might have been discouraged by your faggoty gatekeeping. Burn in hell.
>>
>>53405836
orcpub2.herokuapp.com/index.html

That can help, it's fairly streamlined.
>>
>>53406787
Cool. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>53406642
Thanks bro.

With a dash of assassin in there?
>>
>>53406642
>>53406807
Horizon Walker also captures it pretty well. Teleporting into attacks, casting, good weapons, some armour and the favored enemy humanoids would make sense.
>>
Newb here: is bard really useless?
>>
>>53406854
It's at least in the top 3 classes and Lore Bard's likely the strongest character UA aside.
>>
>>53406807
I'd say it's more of a Shadowmonk 6/GOO Warlock 2.

Corvo is an Expert at beating people to death, slashing them up and running across rofftops.
Warlock powers only grant him utilitarian magic.

Try playing a Hex monk at some point.
Shit is cash.
>>
>>53406854
No. It's a full caster that gets both armour and weapon proficiency while being able to learn spells from all lists.
>>
>>53406872
Is it hard to play?
>>
>>53406881
Nah. Just grab spells for party support and plunk away at enemies with arrows untill you can steal spells from the Wizard list.
>>
>>53400663
>>53400738
Has no Cleric ever cast one of those talk-to-God spells and asked Him what's up with this Saint, just out of curiousity?
>hey god i'm writing a report on Saint Blasphemous and I was wondering if you could share any insights about his life and times
>QUICK TELL EVERYONE TO BURN HIS MONASTERY, HE'S A TOTAL MONSTER, HOLY SHIT HOW HAVE I NOT COMMUNICATED THIS BEFORE
>>
>>53406864
Shadow Monk / Anything is good fun.
>be a Fighter shit-ruiner
>yawn through the enemies' explosions and missiles
>teleport into caster BBEG's face and trap him in the Silence bubble or Stunning Fist lockdown
>>
Is there any way I could get a Barbarian to learn Create/Destroy Water? Wanted to mix that with Storm Herald Sea environment to cause damage to a larger area with the ability. Does that sound legit or would it not work? If you were DM, would you allow water to spread lightning damage from one foe to others even if the ability says it targets one enemy?
>>
>>53405217
>>53405164
Use the one in the 4e book about the Underdark. It has a lot of other cool stuff about the main Drow city and the Underdark in general that's great for any campaign down there.
>>
>>53407012
Also because I forgot to specify, it gives the names and a couple of details about each of the drow houses, including what their insignia is.
>>
>>53407004
why don't you use your beefy barbarian brawn to carry around a jug of water and throw it at fuckers
>>
>>53406864
>>53406987
They're that good? Seems a bit op.
>>
>>53407032
Well that is my back up plan but 10 gallons at will makes my Barbarian mind spin at how many she could shock at one time. Especially since it could be cast more than once a day.
>>
>>53407039
>can cast Pass Without Trace to give the entire party +10 Stealth and leave no tracks, letting themselves or anyone else wearing heavy armor waltz through a bandit camp or cult hideout with no fear
>can cast Silence and completely shut down enemy casters
>can cast Darkness for ebin escapes and LoS shenanigans, or to block out light sources to facilitate their teleport
>SIXTY FOOT TELEPORT
>EVERY ROUND
>AS A BONUS ACTION as long as it's kind of dark out
>WITH ADVANTAGE ON YOUR NEXT ATTACK
>Evasion, Deflect Missiles, Slow Fall, Stunning Blow, Extra Attack
>also Minor Illusion for whatever that's worth
Helpful for literally any class. Even casters, although you would probably never want to give up all that spellcasting progression.
>>
>>53406626
Our best start involved the party all being former soldiers released from service at the same time to go investigate an old keep we had found during our time as soldiers.
>>
>>53406708
It's true though, you'll have to read this stuff eventually, might as well do it right off the bat.

It's literally five to ten minutes of work, it's not like it's a physics handbook or something. There are board games that require you to read more text before you start.
>>
>>53405883
What? Why would you watch a video about how to create a character? Can you read? The player's handbook is very fucking clear about how much you get money.
>>
>>53407032
Sweet, I found what I was looking for. Magic Initiate feat. Though will it be worth it? Create water once a day, but it's a lot of water and can drench a group... Hmm...
>>
>>53407097
Sorry for multiple posts.

So I can get two cantrips and a 1st level spell. I'm thinking one cantrip should be Shape Water to go with Create/Destroy Water. What else should I choose? From Druid or Cleric list. Maybe Mold Earth to make it harder for my foes to escape me?
>>
>>53407094
Honestly I don't even get why tutorial videos on *anything* are so popular on YouTube. There are maybe a few things (like crafts) that require you to see what's going on, but for things like DnD or IT stuff I'd rather follow a written guide than listen to some retard with shitty english talk about how he does it. It's less annoying and it's much faster.
>>
>>53407094
For that human touch.
>>
>>53407120
You should be looking for out of combat or ranged options (and ranged only if you have decent wisdom, otherwise thrown weapons/a bow is better), in combat you should use most of your actions to attack, especially as a barbarian since not attacking can mean you end rage. Minor illusion, guidance, prestidigitation, thaumaturgy, etc.
>>
>>53407127
>with shitty english
???
>>
>>53406277
Just played my first game of 5e last week, me as a variant human swordnbord fighter, my friend as a hermit human druid with a very nihilistic twist.
We were ambushed by two goblins at night in a forest, the DM made some very good rolls while we were fumbling in the darkness. The other goblin got away and the druid was dead.
Playing with only two guys in the party certainly makes a trivial encounter into a challenge.
>>
>>53406299
/pol/lacks ruin everything they touch.
>>
>>53407120
Mold Earth doesn't really have much in-battle applications, considering it takes a whole turn to use
Light is a pretty handy one to have out of combat if you don't have darkvision,
>>
>>53407157
I know no ranged or spells that require a save. Guidance would be a choice but we have another member with it already. And the rage would be saved by my electric damage at the end of my turns, long as I'm close by. That's why I'm able to justify using a turn to coat enemies in water. Spread that 2d6 as much as I can. And if I get certain other feats I can rely on AoO as well. It may be a bad idea for me to get both shape water and mold earth though. Perhaps two people having guidance wouldn't be overboard...
>>
>>53407180
Ah yes, I forgot I'm not being a Tiefling anymore. That would be extremely helpful to have as variant Human.
>>53407210
Also I'll clarify that first part, I worded it oddly.
I know not to choose ranged or anything that requires a save. My Barbarian is not wise or intelligent.
>>
>>53407180
Ah, though the issue with light is I cannot take Shape Water along with it.
>>
>>53407150
I you aren't autistic enough to memorize the entire character creation process in a single night of reading the PHB than you came to the right place and are not a pfg fag
>>
>>53407233
Ah
Produce Flame is a druid cantrip that fits in
>>
>>53407257
Yeah I was looking at that, I think it's my only alternative, even though it only lasts 10 minutes. Kind of a strang restriction there but oh well.
>>
>>53407210
Yeah fair enough, you really should check with your gm that create water will do what you want it to do though. It's not RAW and like setting Grease on fire, maybe not the intention of the feature/spell, even if it doesn't seem too powerful.
>>
>>53400255
it's cooooool guy
>>
>>53407267
there is nothing preventing you from recasting it, if it's a cantrip
>>
>>53407272
Oh yeah, I will. If he says it won't work I'll just get GWM. Storm Herald is still good even if I can't do that, as it's a free 2d6 damage if an enemy is nearby. Perfect for keeping rage if somehow I miss my attacks. Plus lightning resistance later, and water breathing. The last ability, knocking enemies prone upon damaging, is nice too. This would just add to the fun of the path is all.
>>
>>53407329
Rage ends if you haven't attacked an enemy or taken damage, so the aura lightning would do nothing for that and missed attacks still count. But it needs to happen two turns in a row, so using an action one turn and then attacking the next is fine unless you get disabled or whatever.
>>
>>53407236
Thanks, matey-potatey. :^)
>>
>>53407382
Oh, I suppose I misread then. Hmm, oh well.
>>
>>53399490
>paladin
Isn't that a green star adept?
>>
>>53407428
It's basically impossible to lose unless you get shut out of combat or choose not to participate, the only issue I could see is that you can't cast spells while raging but it just makes it a bit more situational.
>>
>>53407484
I was thinking maybe, cast Create Water first turn to drench some enemies, then rage next turn. Something like that. If there's water already I can just use Shape Water to make it cover them instead.
>>
>>53407539
Rage is bonus action so you can do both on the first turn, it just means you can't adapt if more enemies appear in the middle of combat or something like that.
>>
>>53407607
New thread.
>>
>>53407210
As a barbarian, you can't cast spells while raging, and to continue raging you have to take damage or attack a hostile. Damaging a hostile without making an attack doesn't qualify.
>>
Thinking about playing an extremely handsome orc bard that acts similar to Zoolander. Any roleplaying or game play tips for a characer like this?
Thread posts: 366
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.