[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 388
Thread images: 38

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53359031

How diverse are your games?
>>
>>53366544
>How diverse are your games?
As diverse as feels natural for the array of PCs, their dealings, and the location?
>>
>>53366544
>How diverse are your games?
I have literally never made a non-white or female NPC in my campaign.
>>
Tell me about the big evil mage hidden away in some tower I'm sure your setting has somewhere
>>
File: Mearls.png (36KB, 830x349px) Image search: [Google]
Mearls.png
36KB, 830x349px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>53366595
No evil mages in any towers or anything in my settings. Just relics of the past guarded by restless constructs.
>>
>>53366611
>Ranger - I'd rebuild it using the paladin as more of a model
I really want to hear this explanation
>>
>>53366611
Super Moon Druid when?
>>
>>53366544
How would you guys mix valor bard and battlemaster fighter? My character is basically a fencer who is learning magic.
>>
>>53366625
I think you can see it in more recent ranger subclasses, with similar 3rd-level features involving bonus spells and a small extra damage feature. It'd probably involve a way to use spell slots to increase damage and an always-on damage increase at 11th, and maybe having subclass capstones be later with stronger effects.
>>
>>53364824
One thing you can consider is any time the players gain a non-ASI level do one, maybe two bouts of relatively no-frills combat, since then the novelty comes from whatever new abilities they may have gained. Otherwise get creative.

And obviously this is more of a thing at earlier levels. There's more of a to-do about someone suddenly having Superiority Dice at their disposal than gaining their second use of Indomitable.
>>
>>53366625
Well what is the model of the Paladin? Does he mean giving defensive bonuses to allies in an area and spending magical resources on a class feature to get boosts? I guess you could get a good Ranger out of that.

>>53366651
That concept could work as Valor Bard or EK or Battlemaster (or a bunch of other things) with Magic Initiate etc. Are you particularly set on doing the multiclass?
>>
>>53366651
Eldritch Knight with the Superiority Dice feat. Maybe take it more than once; make use of those fighter ASIs.
>>
File: ayo hol up.jpg (39KB, 600x584px) Image search: [Google]
ayo hol up.jpg
39KB, 600x584px
>>53366544
ayo hol up
hol up

is u sayin
we wuz bards 'n sheit

I generally design my (human or human-ish) characters to look like they're from a specific region, so I suppose.

Thus far I have based off real life regions-
>Chinese F.A.N.G. from Street Fighter looking Far Traveler Yuan-Ti Pureblood
>Alberto Barbosa meme looking Human Far Traveler Lore Bard from !notEgypt mixed with Mesopotamia
>Tibetan/Buddhist style Far Traveler Undead (Revenant) construct Monk (doesn't really count though since Monks are Tibetan-themed anyway)
>A Cowboy sounding/looking Hobgoblin Sailor/Bounty Hunter (Though I admit the only reason he sounds like a Cowboy is I can't do a good Sailor voice)

All the other characters are either monsters, from a made up location without much of a real-life counterpart, or "Generic European Midieval to Renaissance period".
>>
>>53366611
The only thing I agree with him on is initiative. 1e D&D had the perfect initiative system and should be ported over to 5e. Granted it's a lot of work and I don't think anyone is up to the challenge. Segments was a perfect mechanic and I wish it never fell out of use.

I'd personally remove ranger as a class from the game and add it as a subclass of fighter. I've never liked rangers thematically being half casters and always viewed their toolset as borderline superhuman rather than supernatural/arcane.

He can fuck off about druids being shapeshifters. Shapeshifters should be an entirely separate shaman or animist class.
>>
File: x4_x5.png (323KB, 501x325px) Image search: [Google]
x4_x5.png
323KB, 501x325px
>>53366595
The Mad Puzzle Master, has multiple covers across different planes, a sorta clone of Halaster that wasn't tied to the prime material plane Halaster. He mostly appeared as a gnome, halfling or rarely as a hill dwarf, replete with Scottish accent of course!
>>
>>53366681
I'm mostly set on it. I'm very fond of the maneuvers that come with battlemaster; I also really like the inherent ability to debug that comes with the valor.

>>53366729
I appreciate the idea, it's not bad.
>>
>>53366790
I'm guessing you mean debuff, but then I'm not sure because Valor doesn't really do that. Did you mean the College of Lore/Cutting Words, or like, general Bard debuffing stuff? Or hey, maybe you're actually debugging computers and shit, modern games are cool.
>>
>>53366544

Not sure how you mean diverse, but in our current 5e evil campaign the party is as follows:

Human Necromancer (played by a black dude)
Tiefling Warlock (qt asian girl)
Mountain Dwarf Rogue (white dude)
Fallen Aasimar Ranger (another white guy)
Hobgoblin Fighter (fat white guy aka me)
>>
>>53366832
Mobile autocorrect shenanigans. I was referring to cutting words, yeah. I loved the imagery of it, even if there are probs better ways to debuff your foes on the regular.
>>
>>53366611
Initiative is pretty bland, Fighter's issue's solved with some of the UA and Warlock's design is just completely different to every other class in the game.

Revised Ranger is good and the only issue is Rangers have no fluff.

Druid idea's shit.

Is there a reason they can't just give us a free downloadable .pdf of the adventure? I'm pretty sure all other editions had a free adventure.

Not sure what he means by actions being fuzzy

Bonus actions are fine but Major and Minor actions are probably a better system. Being able to do 1 major or two minor is something I like in systems.
>>
>>53366845
Is his necromancer black, though? I've heard that people usually play characters of their own race.
>>
>>53366867
>Fighter's issue's solved with some of the UA
No, it isn't. The baseline fighter's extra attack is simply too strong, which is why they have to make his subclasses bland and weak. Rogue's subclasses are lackluster for the same reason. It's one ribbon ability after another.
Ranger, however, operates differently. It's his subclasses that utterly define how the character plays.

If they ever did 5.5 again, 4 attacks would probably be champion feature, while battlemaster would be more like 3.5 martial adept.
>>
>>53366879

After holding him down and having the Warlock clean him with prestidigitation because of his poor hygiene, we discovered he was white. Not that it really matters to any of the characters, we just wanted to clean him up.
>>
>>53366611
let's see...
>Cyclical initiative - too predictable
Disagree, different initiative styles slow things down too much and are usually abandoned in favor of cyclical initiatives anyways
>Fighter subclasses - so bland!
Somewhat agree, Fighter could use some spices.
>The divide in the warlock between the pact and the pact boon - boons should be options chosen from among stuff your specific pact can give
Disagree, one of the few things warlocks actually have is their mutability
>Ranger - I'd rebuild it using the paladin as more of a model
Somewhat disagree, the NEW ranger is pretty fine, we already have nature paladin with oath of ancients.
>Druid - I'd make shapeshifting more central, maybe scale casting back to paladin or rogue level, use a nature domain for the guy with a scimitar and shield
Disagree, I think full nature caster is needed, though should play more differently from divine and arcane caster
>James Wyatt wrote a cool sample adventure for the DMG that we couldn't include. Wish we had.
N/A, not familiar with it, don't care.
>A better treatment of actions - action typing is still too fuzzy for more tastes.
Disagree, actions are clear, people are just too retarded to wrap their minds are FOUR things (action, bonus, reaction, nonaction)
>Bonus action - they're pretty hacky; I'd get rid of them and just design smarter. Prior editions always poke through your thinking and distort it. We were so dependent on swift/minor actions that it took a lot of work to stop framing concepts in their terms.
Somewhat disagree, bonus actions are fine, but i prefer 4e's way of subbing in a greater action for a lesser
>>
>>53366917
Honestly I don't see an issue with some classes who have a strong core and others with core subclasses.

Up until level 11 Fighter's are pretty much worse then Paladins, Barbarians and Rangers without their subclass. While barely better after 11 if they went GWM+PAM bullshit. Fighters aren't strong in combat with their core class even though they should be.

If anything subclasses are going to need a slight powercreep like the Sorcerer.
>>
Hey, you fucks ready to go to Chult and beat the piss out of some fuckers in the next hardcover?
>>
>>53366847
Ah, in that case you want Lore Bard. You might have difficulty here, since as a fencer character, you probably want to get Extra Attack fairly quickly. Yet ultimately, every level you take in Bard (which pretty much covers all the flavour of your concept) is keeping you one level away from getting that feature. In particular if you don't get it by Level 7 or so, you're going to start falling quite behind.

Fighter is pretty front-loaded with Action Surge and Fighting Style, and also has much better starting proficiencies, so...I'd say go Battlemaster 5 and then jump into Bard, and then just do as much as you want. You could ride it all the way to 15 if you want, or take one more Fighter Level for the ASI, or whatever. I don't think this is a super optimal build, and there might be a better way, but it's the best I've got.
>>
>>53366611
That druid junk is nonsense, the ranger redone is fine we already have a nature paladin in the Oath of Ancients.
>>
>>53366611
So Mearls basically hates nature?
>>
Is playing a Barbarian refluffed as a werewolf edgy? Are there any tips you'd recommend for the idea of playing one?

Are there cooler Were-animals?
>>
>>53367055
He could go Warlock Initiate for Boomblade and EB plus Hex, though those might be a bit too "magic" for their flavor.
>>
>>53367055
Appreciate the advice.

I like that 5e is friendlier to players that want to play a concept. If I had tried this back in my 3.5 days, I'd have been laughed out of that toxic community.
>>
Opinions on bard expertise? Should I go Persuasion/Deception or Stealth/Perception?
>>
>>53366968
Geez, so you're shilling for 5e even harder than its lead designer.
>>
File: furryfaggotwulf.jpg (39KB, 395x585px) Image search: [Google]
furryfaggotwulf.jpg
39KB, 395x585px
>>53367089
>Is playing a Barbarian refluffed as a werewolf edgy? Are there any tips you'd recommend for the idea of playing one?

No, it just quickly labels you as a complete furfag.

>Are there cooler Were-animals?
Anything as far removed from ever being sexualized as possible: Gorillas, crabs, insects, etc.
>>
>>53367129
What if everyone I play with already knows I'm a furfag?
>>
>>53367126
I like 5e, what of it?
>>
>>53367146
If they're not uncomfortable, have fun.
>>
File: Walrus furry.jpg (249KB, 1280x1310px) Image search: [Google]
Walrus furry.jpg
249KB, 1280x1310px
>>53367129
And walruses, yes?
>>
>>53367146
Don't give them any more reason to fucking hate you. Keep that shit in whatever your preferred method of RPing a furry faggot is.
>>
>>53367119
Perception is the god-stat in most cases, you get a fuckton of milage out of Persuasion and Deception if you take advantage of it. I have no experience with stealth bard shit though.
>>
>>53367129
>Anything as far removed from ever being sexualized as possible: Gorillas, crabs, insects, etc.
Anon, I've got some bad news for you.
>>
File: ohgodno.jpg (59KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
ohgodno.jpg
59KB, 400x400px
>>53367167
>>
>>53367166
Arcana can go from "lol why" to "advancing the plot by leagues with one check" depending on how your DM plays it.
>>
>>53367157
Would not take on a quest/10

>>53367161
They're all furries and weeaboos as well though, interestingly no weeb or furry characters have ever been in the game.

Also it's the bedroom with my husband.

>>53367167
Crabs are the only one I can't remember seeing.
>>
>>53367119
Persuasion is one of the most overrated skills in the game. You're not going to convince people in shit, if the DM doesn't want it. On the other hand, when you sneak past monsters, they use actual stats to spot you.
>>
>>53367204
Sounds to me like you have a shit DM if they aren't at least willing to let you fudge some things with Persuasion.
>>
>>53366544
Everyone in my groups plays Variant Humans because they're bullshit, except for one guy who occasionally plays Halflings.

I have a Ye Olde Faerunian Muslim (from Zakhara) in one game. Otherwise I'm usually a Dwarf.
>>
>>53367193
>Also it's the bedroom with my husband.

So you're a literal faggot. Because there's no way you're a chick.
>>
>>53367226
No shit I'm a faggot, straight furries are a myth.
>>
>>53367226
>So you're a literal faggot
Are you surprised? Most furries are also gay. When you want to fuck an animal already, is there much of a difference what sex it is?
>>
>>53367237
>tfw my cousin has begun falling down the slippery slope of furfaggotry and it's likely too late to save them
I knew something was up when she kept nagging me to draw wolves, but I didn't think anything of it beause at that age I thought Dinosaurs/Dragons were the coolest shit.

t. Artfag
>>
>>53367245
No, it's because female animals aren't sexy. Six or eight tits, located on their belly? Get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>53366544
Well my group itself is 100% caucasian, my party consists of:

Tiefling
Variant Human
Kenku
Dragonborn

So it's super diverse with the odd human being the strangest ICly.
>>
>>53367303
>Dinosaurs/Dragons were the coolest shit
Don't suppress your Scalie desires, Anon. Draw me a dragon fucking a car.
>>
>>53366544
Very diverse, every single character's black, trans and gay.
>>
File: 1492238948424.gif (1MB, 320x173px) Image search: [Google]
1492238948424.gif
1MB, 320x173px
>GM wants to bring people off of variant humans
>He gives every race a free feat
>Players still choose it because it now gets 2 feats
I don't know what he expected, but he didn't get it
>>
>>53367362
Most builds only need 1 feat. V.Human's only issue is it's retardedly powerful to get a weapon feat at level 1 and most people need it by level 10. So without it they'll have to sacrifice an ASI and be behind.
>>
>>53367362
I'm working on a project to give out fair and balance 'Variant ___' races that get a feat in addition to the race's biggest 'flavor' abilities.
>>
>>53366544
Player base or party?

The former is mostly male and mostly white; one woman and one hapa.

The characters are usually more diverse. We have a guy who plays dwarves and halflings, a guy who mixes it up every time, and while the girl is almost always human, she'll usually base their ethnicity on some concept (exotic swordsman, Northern barbarian not!scythian, etc).

The GM is also progressive, but not the irritating kind that forces diversity; his settings feel diverse without feeling like pandering, but that's also because his plots tend to involve globe-trotting.
>>
>>53367322
Nah, I have no real attraction to furfag shit at all. Looking back half the reason I liked drawing dragons and other monsters was that it was easier than drawing people with my lack of anatomy skill back then.
>>
>>53367414
>tfw scetch artist
>tfw never could find out how to chicken scratch a good body
Learning to do it slowly and solidly was torture, famalam.
>>
How do you guys stat your polearm paladins? I assume I have to go human to get PAM at lvl 1; should I also take GWM at 4? Or should I just pump stats? How much worse is it if I pick a different race? Should I get Sentinel?
>>
If I play Barbarian should I bother with AC boosting much or just pure damage and use my HP to tank things?
>>
>>53367575
Half damage that hits is still more than 0 damage that doesn't.

Personally I consider 17 to be the cutoff for "good" AC, if you got less than that better pump it up.
>>
>>53367575
ninjas can't get you if they're dead.
>>
>>53367575
Do both. Then just be a super tank.
>>
>>53367575
taaaank.

the amount of shit you can survive is hilarious.
>>
File: 1311033647913.jpg (43KB, 640x515px) Image search: [Google]
1311033647913.jpg
43KB, 640x515px
Give me one good reason why all spellcasting classes couldn't be replaced with the Mystic class.
>>
>>53367604
Alright, I've got 16 and once I can afford Half-Plate I'll be able to up it to 17.

>>53367609
True.

>>53367611
Sadly, another player's a tank and I just died. This is my new character and I don't want to overshadow his role.
>>
>>53367618
illusion of choice.
>>
>>53367618
Psionics a shit
>>
>>53367618
Do we really even need distinct classes at all?
>>
>>53367618
Variety of effects and damage scaling at high level play.

And yes, hurr durr no one plays past 10th level, but Mystics have no equivalent of shit like the Investiture spells, let alone Conjure X, Gate, or Meteor Swarm.
>>
>>53367575
The 17 AC you get from DEX 14 plus Half plate is good enough. More is of course nice, but you'll want to devote your ASIs and magical items towards other things.
>>
>>53367482
It came up in the last thread that GWM is suboptimal for paladins once they hit 11 and get improved smite. I think the general consensus is get Sentinel after you have 20 strength depending on your specific party make up and how much you need the extra control.
>>
>>53367157
Is this Loss?
>>
/5eg/, how do you handle player deaths? Do you let them remake a similar character? Do you drop their levels? What do you do with their equipment?
>>
File: royalmarine1.jpg (98KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
royalmarine1.jpg
98KB, 700x600px
I want to make a Dragonborn marine as a character.

How should I build him and what gear, weapons and armour should I equip him with?

Also, I heard Dragonborn were underpowered or something. Is this true?
>>
File: 1493638783569.jpg (29KB, 491x368px) Image search: [Google]
1493638783569.jpg
29KB, 491x368px
>Make a character of every class because autism, one PHB only and no multiclass and one full-on multiclass cheese
>Realize every single CHA class has a 3 level (at least) Warlock dip

Does Warlock need a nerf as a dip class, or maybe should other classes get a boost to discourage it? As is it's almost straight better as a dip than played alone.
>>
>>53367982
>how should I build him
Depends on the class
>what gear, weapons, and armour
Depends on the DM, your starting gold
>Dragonborn were underpowered
Underpowered is not as limiting as it sounds for most things in 5e; a better phrase would be "sub-optimal". However, yes, dragonborn aren't the best by comparison to a good number of the other races, specifically with how their breath weapon isn't really too hot as levels ramp up.
>>
>>53367955
Of that character died and the party was unable to get their equipment, sorry it's gone. Any new character coming in can be close and I normally just start them at the same level as the party.
>>
>>53367129
>projecting intensifies
Yiff in hell furfag
>>
I haven't really played around with a dragonborn, what makes their breath underwhelming in higher levels and how would you fix it?
>>
>>53367193
If none of the others have done it don't be that guy that starts it.
>>
Dope idea or not

>will be playing a Level 9 College of Swords Bard w/ a Flametounge Longsword
>CoS Bard can use weapon as instrument
>So fluff Flametounge as a fucking guitar that erupts into flames on my command word (something flashy as fuck)
>play on it to inspire/cast spells, slash everything while doing manuevers and shit
>do it with haste at level 10

I still dunno what I'm taking for my VHuman feat, or what magical secret spells I should get besides haste
>>
>>53367618
Not everyone wants to have spooky mind powers to do things they can do with magic instead.
>>
>>53366544
Took a long break from 5e due to some RL shit, but now I'm getting back into it. What are peoples thoughts on Hexblades these days? I read the Unearthed Arcana for warlocks and it looks actually playable these days.
>>
>>53368060

Add a status effect on the breath attack, like poisoned, slowed, etc...
>>
File: dino.png (391KB, 528x638px) Image search: [Google]
dino.png
391KB, 528x638px
>>53367982
>>53368028
Well I thinking of making him a fighter. Is the Mariner Fighting style any good?

Also, which of the Fighter sub-classes would fit a marine?
>>
>>53368060
It's scaling isn't that great and you can use it once per day, most people suggest atleast letting them use it based off their Con mod per day.
>>
File: 2015-11-01-22-59-28-405905994.jpg (64KB, 600x581px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-01-22-59-28-405905994.jpg
64KB, 600x581px
Grognards of /5eg/, what are some classic supplements/modules that are worth reading?

Also, out of curiosity, what are some of the worst publications you've ever seen?
>>
>>53368102

>per day

It's per short or long rest.
>>
>>53368135
"Once per long rest" is effectively once per day, since you can long rest only once per day.
>>
>>53368083
Hexblades make good EB turrets and bladelocks. They're the most viable bladelock since they can get medium armor, boost Strength with Cha secondary and grab the Cursebringer invocation as quickly as you can. The smites are outrageous nova. Multiclassing with another cha caster class can make them pretty busted though, since the scaling for the extra damage is so high.
>>
>>53368083
It's fun.
>>
>>53368169

Did you not read the word "short"?
>>
What do I throw at mid-high level adventurers for just general encounters? Do I need to do general encounters at all?

Like say they wanna take a Long Rest out in the woods, and they haven't fought anything in a while. My players are level 8 and extremely powerful, fighting wolves ain't shit they've fought fiends and a young dragon and undead and bandits and hags
>>
>>53368184
>>53368191
Good to know, was thrilled to see them get the support they needed. Hex feature looks amazing, new invocations seem strong as fuck especially the ability to smite with high level slots, and the shadow-hound is ridiculous flavor.

Any recommendations for magic items? Typical warlock affair of spells slot restorting or extra slots?
>>
>>53368088
This is a decent idea and might make it worthwhile as something with a short rest cooldown.

>Fire- On a failed save, the target takes 1d4 fire damage at the start of each of its turns. A creature can end this damage by using its action to make a DC 10 Dexterity check to extinguish the flames.
(Copied from Alchemist's Fire, though it should probably be a DEX save rather than check)
>Cold- On a failed save, slowed by 15 feet until the end of their next turn (Ray of Frost with 5 extra feet on it)
>Poison- On a failed save, Poisoned for 1 minute- DC 15 CON save at the end of their turn to end it (Higher DC since like 60% of enemies are Poison immune)
>Lightning- On a failed save, no Reactions until the end of your next turn

>Acid- On a failed save, can't regain hit points until the end of your next turn. (Copied from Chill Touch, changed from "Start of your next turn" to fit the others)
OR
>On a failed save, has their AC reduced by 2 for 1 minute or until they pass a DC 10 CON save at the beginning of their turn

The AC one is probably a bad idea for an AOE.

And for Revenant Dragonborn, just for completion's sake
>On a failed save, the target moves 5 feet in a random direction. Roll a d8 for the direction: 1, north; 2, northeast; 3, east; 4, southeast; 5, south; 6, southwest; 7, west; or 8, northwest. (Copied from Infestation)

or for laziness, "the attack deals maximum damage". I think this is offset by the fact Breath Weapon is otherwise pretty mediocre and that any DM who lets you play Revenant clearly doesn't care about silly things like "balance".
>>
>>53368045
What about if they make pretty much the same character class-wise, and the old gear doesn't get lost? Have the party give it to them? It seems kinda meta to me. And kinda cheapens the whole "dying" thing. But I guess you gotta do that to keep people happy if they decide they don't want to change what they're playing?
>>
>>53367304
+1
You are unlikely to find any girls who likes female furries.

That said, my favourite campaign in 5e have been about dragonborn who were not tolerated at all. Literally a group of 4 dragonborn who tried to get by, and kept getting swept up in all sorts of messes, and ending up as pretty much the unwanted saviors of the world.

Playing as "furry" races is mostly fun, when you really hammer home how weird and inhuman they really are.

Of course, it probably helps that none of us are furries in the "looks at degenerate porn of it and has actual body suits with fur on it" fashion, so it never actually gets sexual in the first place.
>>
>>53368200

Encounter scaling is one of the most broken aspects of 5e. My experience was that the rules as written are broken past level 4 or 5, if not earlier.

There was a video on Drunkens and Dragons on youtube which I won't shill with a link, but essentially said that you should balance difficulty through three methods:

1. Amplify monster damage. Easy = normal damage. Medium = 2x damage. Hard = 4x damage. Justify it by saying the monsters have "nicer weapons".

2. Add interference. Difficult terrain, swarms of insects, blaring noise, searing heat, etc...

3. Decrease duration. The bridge is going to collapse. The bomb's about to go off. The wizard is about to summon a demon. The players only have so long to accomplish a task.

I haven't mastered these, but it definitely helped me manage high-level play. I'm running Dead in Thay right now and without these modifications my players would be stomping everything in their paths.
>>
>>53368226
Ah, this issue. To be honest, assuming you're playing in any of the majority of the D&D settings, people come back to life. If you're an adventurer, you most certainly will at some point. Since this is a natural part of the game, it hardly breaks anything to just make basically the same character again. The consequences for death are the same; downer moment, bookkeeping has to get done, you're out of the game for a while, blah blah blah. If you don't like cheap death play something else.

Now, is repeatedly making the same character a sign of some sort of bad roleplaying? Maybe! But forcing people not to do that isn't going to make them improve, so what's the point?

Hell, if my resident thief and trap guy was killed and the team couldn't bring him back, you bet I'm going into town to hire a new thief. Not a fucking Hobgoblin Mystic or whatever you cook up, the job opening is for Bilbo.
>>
>>53368200
>>53368259

Also, I didn't answer your question. General encounters can be interesting, as it can give the players an ego boost, or maybe even some dramatically useful false confidence. They can enhance the sense of pervasive danger in the game world, when used selectively.

However, ask yourself: "How does this advance the plot?" If the encounter is of no ultimate consequence to the story, then it's just a speed bump. Maybe the encounter is tied to the main villain, and a clue or trinket is found on one of the slain enemies. Maybe a useful resource can be extracted from the dead. Maybe the players inspire you to a new plot thread through the encounter.

In short, be flexible.
>>
A player's come to me with some homebrew Gnoll stats, they seem good but I'm not sure.

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Dexterity increases by 1.
Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light. and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness. only shades of gray.

Rampage. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, you can take a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a bite attack.

Hunter's Talents. You gain proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Sudden Rush. You can make a sudden overwhelming sprint once per short or long rest. When you use this ability your speed increases by 60 feet and you don't provoke opportunity attacks until end of turn.

Languages. You can speak Common and Abyssal.

Thoughts?
>>
>>53368326
Fursecute.
>>
File: 1493959686334.jpg (110KB, 600x378px) Image search: [Google]
1493959686334.jpg
110KB, 600x378px
Chromatic Orb requires a 50g diamond.

Is this dumb as hell? Would you handwave the cost?
>>
Forever DM of my current (and first group) has suggested that I might want to try my hand at DMing. I figure some pre-written one-shot might work best, does anyone have any favourites?

I've never DM'd before, and most of our players are relatively new to tabletop (or even RPGs and cRPGs in general). Our main campaign is currently on hiatus (somewhat spelljammer-esque antics) and we've just started Curse of Strahd.

We tend towards somewhat jokey characters - for instance, in CoS, I'm playing a dim Dwarven barbarian determined to prove that all magic and the supernatural are "gypsy tricks with mirrors and string" who somehow manages to misinterpret or ignore magic being cast by other party members. The rest of the party includes a farmer's daughter raised to believe she's fated to become a mighty vampire slayer (despite having no real idea of what vampires are, patched together from various bits of inaccurate folklore) and a fedora-tipping niceguy wizard traveling to Barovia to meet his "true love" he's been exchanging letters with. Rounding out the party is a less-jokey elderly gnome warlock who's hiding her warlock powers, who my character has adopted as a little old granny to keep safe.
>>
>>53368326

Seems balanced.
>>
>>53368349
Good for you?
>>
>>53368345
Nope. It's a pretty good spell for level 1 and has a fitting drawback. Remember it just means you need one, it doesn't need a different one every time.

So it's a one time investment for a pretty good damage spell.
>>
>>53368326
There's no actual stats for what a "Bite Attack" is.

I'd assume it's akin to Lizardman's 1d6 Piercing Unarmed Strike.
>>
>>53368371
Oh shit, I should tell him to add that in. Also looking at the speed buff I might get the movement removed from Rampage. Other wise he can near rival a Tabaxi.
>>
>>53368367
I suppose. Any 5e one-shots you might recommend for a new DM to try to get a feel for things?
>>
>>53368385
I suppose any of the dungeons from Yawning Portal should be good enough. They're pretty short.
>>
>>53368326
I'd actually give it a bite attack which it is proficient in. And it should probably only get +1STR and +1DEX

May need to have something else dropped for that bite attack. Look at the Minotaur and balance around the effects of its features.
>>
>>53367955
As a GM, my general rule is "make a new character- don't remake the old one"

It depends, of course. If we start at level 1 (most likely, Usually end session 1 at level 3) and you die during this time, I figure something out. I generally fumble the dice to make sure they dont just outright die due to my dice rolls during these levels, as boy can a lot of things one-shot them here. If it is completely impossible to salvage (player did something ludicrously retarded) I might let them reroll the same character, if it seems like they put a lot of thought and effort into it.

Generally I prefer to force them into a new class entirely.

I often give a lot of room for making characters present in the area. Like an old Fighter they find about to be eaten in the dungeon, or a Ranger who had been following them, or a thief trying to steal from them, etc. Something that helps tie it directly into the current situation, depending on what they want to make.

As I dont do individual exp (too much trouble, and it skews the balance too much for no good reason) they have the same exp no matter what.

Gear depends a whole lot on my mood, as my players have a bad tendency of really wanting some very specific magic items, and have once tried to suicide to get a reroll into another character, with the hope of getting to pick 2 specific magic items he wanted, to replace the 2 his old character had.
>>
>>53368399
>>53368371
Alright. Remove the movement from Rampage, copy the Lizardfolk's bite attack and I think I'll make the Sudden Rush just be the Tabaxi ability + Ignoring OA's once per rest rather then +60 movement.

That sound better?
>>
hedgehog
>>
>>53368349

Lost Mine of Phandelver is really good, but you probably have run that.

The first game I ever ran was a one shot of "The Dreaming Heralds" which won the D&D Next contest. It's a simple tower crawl with some skeletons, a zombie, and a snake, but it has just enough flavor to be interesting. Use the Monster Manual stats for the enemies and you'll be fine. I really liked it, and it's one of the few modules I would consider running a second time.

One of my groups started with LMoP, and the other started with Journey to the Buried Vale from the DM's Guild. I really liked the module because it included all the stat blocks in the middle of the text and not just off in some appendix, and more importantly, included printable battle maps. I also ran his follow-up modules, and improvised an entire campaign from there. Overall, a fantastic module for a beginner DM.

The Sunless Citadel from TftYP is also supposed to be good, but I've never run it, and I'm not sure it appeals to my own tastes. Take a look, however.
>>
>>53368326
>Letting someone play a Gnoll

Remove sudden rush
>>
File: Capture.png (5KB, 243x115px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5KB, 243x115px
shheeeeiittttt
>>
>>53368449
Nice, thanks! I've not played Lost Mine of Phandelver, actually - lifelong cRPG player, only got into PnP with this group last year. I'll check out your other suggestions as well.
>>
>>53368326
Just get rid of Rampage and Sudden Rush and give him the ability to take a Dash action as a bonus action.
>>
>>53368345
I love my Chromatic Orb sorc. Always having it hover around me like a magic ball whenever we are about to enter combat and during combat, using it to attack whenever possible is awesome.

It helps that my GM have me a Diamond ball which halves my spell point usage on Chromatic Orb specifically. Brought me back in line with the other characters in the group.
>>
File: Nice nazi.png (337KB, 465x266px) Image search: [Google]
Nice nazi.png
337KB, 465x266px
>>53368492
>>
>VHuman Bladesinger with Tough or Mobile
>First turn in combat enter Bladesong and cast Haste on self
>fly around in combat like hermes

Is this kosher? Sounds fun as fuck

If you cast Haste on yourself, do you immediately get access to that free action Haste gives you? Like I blade song, haste in the same turn, can I make an attack/dash/disengage?
>>
>>53368587
>Human bladesinger
>Kosher
Get a load of this goy.
>>
>>53368506
Speaking of, does anybody how to build a good Sorcerer using Chromatic Orb?

I want to use Wild Sorcerer, I am just not sure what to go for in terms of ASI and races. Spell Sniper sounds useful, I guess?

What Meta Magics are most suitable for this?
>>
So my main BBEG isn't particularly one man but an entire Empire

I'm basing them mostly off of Imperial Rome/The British Empire and I feel I got a good thing going in terms of their flavor

But because I haven't really played any 5e yet, I was wondering, would the average mook they'd fight be too powerful if they wielded muskets? They'd probably be facing these guys in squads of at least 5 as well mind you. I also will probably give them bayonets so they can get stabby after they fire
>>
>>53368599
Why would you bother to reply? I'm not playing FR and my group wouldn't give a shit if we even were
>>
File: 1495417701740.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
1495417701740.png
7KB, 112x112px
Time for utterly retarded meme builds that won't work!

>Helf
>Hexblade 2
>EK 7
>Rogue (Probably Swashbuckler?) 11

>At hypothetical level 20 memeland where nobody plays-
>4d10+20+1d8+5+6d6 damage per turn

>73ish damage per turn, with Hexblade's Curse active adds an extra 30 damage and crits on a 19

then the Wizard just casts Meteor Storm and levels an entire town from a mile away or polymorphs into an Ancient Brass Dragon because balance goes to shit at high levels
>>
File: 1493904208489.jpg (136KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1493904208489.jpg
136KB, 768x1024px
>>53366595
The Tower of the Moon, humanity's largest magic-cult, is ruled over by three wizards: two humans and an elf. They are pretty neutral, especially when it comes to the Church. The Church blames them for a lot, though.
>>
>>53368655
This is why my campaigns don't tend to go past level 15, unless we get into interdemensional/demon/universe saving shenanigans
>>
>>53366595
A Lich in charge of a city of sand pirates focusing on Constructs. He's replaced roughly 80% of his body with mechanical parts now and is currently on the fast track to Apothesis.

The tower and city are a giant robot crab that burrows under the desert for magic material.
>>
>>53368607
really early game that will be nasty, but once they get up a couple levels they could handle that fine

Whats nice in 5e is even if your mooks suck shit, you can just bring more of them because AC won't affect the little guys hitting the big guys too much

A good example is when I had my player laugh off a couple goblin archers, later in another fight against the same orcs there were a dozen of the little shits, they didn't laugh those off
>>
>>53368326
>abyssal

Dunno what your setting is but why Abyssal, theres a bite attack for lizard people iirc?
>>
>>53368655
That's piss all damage at level 20, there's no reason to do that.

A single classed Fighter with PAM+GWM deals 4d10+1d4+50+25 damage at level 20. So about 94.5.
>>
>>53368720
Yeah it's pretty impractical in reality, I just think the fact a Fighter could shoot 4 EB beams and still attack was a bit amusing.
>>
Gaseous form is a lot better than I was expecting.
Playing a genie is really fun.
>>
>>53368655
>>53368720
why do people even play into 20+ it's just not fun to have a bunch of retarded memey wank stats

The meat and soul of a campaign is that sweet spot from lvl 5-15
>>
>>53366611
There's a sample adventure?
>>
>>53368670
That's exactly what you're supposed to do.
Past level 15 you go full comic-book mode.

Hardly anyone dies unless it's really difficult circumstances. Go hunt the demon that was behind the big bad that was behind everything else.
>>
>Implying the best spot of a campaign isn't 3-7
>>
>>53368754
That's, just, like, your opinion, man.

15+ is when you let players roleplay to their heart's content and actually shape things in the world. Let your wizard build a giant tower and shit. Your fighter might be in command of a small military or some shit.

At those levels it's just ultra fantasy mode. All balance basically does go right out the window but that's okay. That's the point where if you've been playing with the group until level 20 everyone should know eachother well enough that they're gonna work together to enjoy the end game and not try and break it to pieces.
>>
>>53368791
>Let your wizard build a giant tower and shit. Your fighter might be in command of a small military or some shit.

>wizard gets "giant" tower
>fighter gets "small" military

stay cucked martialfags
>>
>Implying the best spot of a campaign isn't level 1

It sure is fun watching two wolves tpk the entire party.
>>
>>53368771
I think this is the truth. My campaign is getting to the "Polymorph" pretty stronk 4th level spells stage and it's getting a bit weird

I can turn into a TRex three times per long rest rest. So could our Sorc, and he could twin it, Therein lies a change to the ceiling of play, that;s a new world my guy
>>
>>53368803
Small is relative. I mean, a hundred men is significant but it's not large.
The point is roleplay after all.
Instead of fighting your way in head first your martial sends his men to fight the forces at the main gate. Meanwhile your ultra weeaboo rogue infiltrates behind enemies lines while your wizard sits in his tower using a sending stone and scrying to relay information about your target.

And the druid is off fucking some fox in the woods because they never have to turn back if they don't want to.
>>
>>53368808
what fuggin wolves are those? Average group of five like mine would crush that type of shit
>>
>>53368808
>>53368841
I've had two Dire Wolves and four regular wolves thrown at a party of 4 while we were already a bit tired from fighting earlier

we survived but our Rogue died because they just stood there attacking with sneak attack and not doing anything else
>>
>>53368824
eh, I think polymorph is one of those spells that can go either way. You turn someone into a giant dumb lizard, it will still have its personality and alignment, but it's a giant dumb lizard.

So you either let the players play as a T-Rex as if they were a wildshaped druid (I think this is a bad idea). Or you make them play as a giant dumb lizard with 2 int that can't reasonably communicate.

Doesn't stop polymorph from being a good spell, because you can still polymorph someone to a toad and take them out of the fight for a while. But it's way better than allowing t-rex cheese.
>>
Sage background gives
>"a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not been able to answer"
Any good ideas? I'm stumped.
>>
>>53367618
At some point, players must get over the beardy wizard that waves his one hand in the air while the other masturbates with material components. Magic is magic because it is beyond mundane shit like that. Psionics show the way. They are not perfect though.
>>
>>53368866
>Dire Wolves not eating normal Wolves for breakfast
ISHYGDDT
I mean unless the normal ones were meant to be Dire Puppies I guess.
>>
>>53368881
When in doubt, incomprehensible mathematical equation.
>>
>>53368881
>How many sheep can fit inside a city? I haven't been able to cast enough polymorphs to test it
>>
File: UR_A_FAGET.png (27KB, 829x829px) Image search: [Google]
UR_A_FAGET.png
27KB, 829x829px
>>53368881
>>
>>53368841
>pack tactics
>crit the martial he goes down
>take down the wizard with a normal bite
>party scrambles to decide what to do, uhh use some healing spell?
>sorcerer goes down, wizard goes down again
>bard goes down
>the end

Level 1 is where you die to stupid shit.
>>
>>53366595
No mages, but I have six towers that serve to protect ancient magical weapons imbued with the souls of ancient heroes, and serving to pin an unstoppable monster in another plane. I'm wondering how long it'll be before the PCs realise that taking the weapons damages the plane they're on.
>>
>>53368888
they were like adolescent dire wolves I think

>>53368905
It is both a blessing and a curse to have metagaming munchkins as players, they cruised through any fight that wasn't rated Deadly for them
>>
>>53366611
>Druid as a 1/2 caster

Kike Mearls everyone
>>
>>53368910
>I'm wondering how long it'll be before the PCs realise that taking the weapons damages the plane they're on
It depends on your storytelling fagget
>>
>>53368881
I like this >>53368890
Even shit that's solved in our modern society.
You could go learn about how the problem was solved and roleplay yourself discovering the solution in a stupid way.
>>
>>53368917

why have druid be a nature caster when you can just have a wizard with a nature domain :^)
>>
>>53366611
What does he mean about warlocks?
>>
>>53366611
>cyclical initiave
Just roll iniative every round faggot, like we did in 2e.
>>
>>53368917
Yeah Mearls is a wizard loving faggot.
>>
>>53368917
To be fair I've had a Druid in my game for 3 months who has literally never had to cast a spell because they solve problems by applying Bear directly and forcefully.
>>
File: 1477374977629.gif (298KB, 379x329px) Image search: [Google]
1477374977629.gif
298KB, 379x329px
So for my worldbuilding I've gone with a Reformed world after the apocalypse sort of deal

It's been so long that most is gone/lost/whatever and what actually destroyed the world was a magic superbomb that cracked the crust of the entire planet, the new world now calls it the great sunder

but my question I wanted to ask is, how are the guns/modern weapons/bombs and shit from the DM's guide? My players will rarely see anything from the old world that actually works (and they were still magic mind you, just they were more shadowrun type of thing than DnD world) but I wondered if it would be too retarded if they ever got a hold of a working assault/laser rifle
>>
>>53368952
Best Druid is always shapeshifted
>>
are there any rules for hitting people so hard they go flying backwards? preferably through walls

and if so, what race/class would best allow me to do this
>>
>>53368942
Honestly this.
The only reason I don't do it is because my players can't seem to keep their fucking dice on the fucking table half the time so more rolls would just be more of a nightmare.

I can see playing online with something like roll20 would make this easy enough to macro, and it even has the tracker. Could even write a basic script if I found myself bored. Enter player initiatives and roll it for them, just tell them when to go. Eh.
>>53368915
>It is both a blessing and a curse to have metagaming munchkins as players, they cruised through any fight that wasn't rated Deadly for them
Yeah, my players are at least good at roleplaying. But when it comes to tactics they shit the bed every time. Every encounter I throw at them is on the weaker side. Hard encounters very often can get close to TPK.

Gonna throw them into an arena of sorts soon, where they won't die but they'll have to be tactical to win. Gonna show them how easy they'll be stomped if they don't get their shit together. Just as a side-quest type deal.
>>
>>53368169
Use it then long rest then use it

Thats twice a day. Also it recharges on short rest too
>>
>>53368935
I think he meant that pact boons (chain, blade, tome) should not be generic, but each patron should give a special pact boon. I 'm cool with that.
>>
File: dugupColtSAA.jpg (154KB, 900x368px) Image search: [Google]
dugupColtSAA.jpg
154KB, 900x368px
>>53368956
>but I wondered if it would be too retarded if they ever got a hold of a working assault/laser rifle
Yeah. But finding something like this and going "Woah what the heck is this" works.
>>
>>53368952
I think that's more of a problem with how wildshape is balanced than anything else.
Especially for early levels. There's no reason to do anything else but brown bear, especially since most DMs just throw things at players for them to kill and being a bear is the safest and easiest way to do so.
>>
>>53368952
That means that the DM only poses problems that can be bearfully solved. It's not the player's fault for always taking the easiest route.
>>
@53369007
sent :)
>>
>>53368985
In my opinion pact boons should be separate from the patron and be generic (just flavor them appropriately when you pick the one you want), but the pact boon you select should essentially determine more strongly your subtype than anything else.

I would have liked:
Chain - arcane equivalent of beastmaster, but with spells and abilities focused towards controlling/restraining/summoning
Blade - the DPS subtype, you hit real hard and can actually survive in melee
Tome - a little bit blasty, but more focused towards utility akin to a wizard
>>
>>53368942
I kind of like that actually. Makes initiative bonuses or penalties more of an issue. Right now it doesn't really matter much if you've got +5 or -5 since it's all dependent on a single roll anyways. Since it's DEX-based this implies that it's due to your physical skill, which can vary depending on exact circumstances, not due to a tactical advantage you gain at the start of a battle (which would make more sense running off of WIS than DEX).

On the other hand I don't like how it penalizes Strength-based melee characters more, they already have a good amount of drawbacks compared to Dex fighters (less useful saves, less versatile skills, lower unarmored AC, stealth penalties).
>>
>>53369007
Check your mail, i just sent them.
>>
>>53369007
sent ;)
>>
>>53369013
Thank you dear <3
>>
>>53369007
Ask on Reddit or Imgur, you absolute whackjob.
>>
>>53368607
>muskets
>>
>>53369023
>On the other hand I don't like how it penalizes Strength-based melee characters more, they already have a good amount of drawbacks compared to Dex fighters (less useful saves, less versatile skills, lower unarmored AC, stealth penalties).
That's a good thing. A string fighter does more damage but moves slower.
>>
>>53369023
I think the more str you have should give you more movement speed, which could be counterbalanced by speed penalties of heavy armor

Barbarians are already given +movement, but they could have it removed. Anyone with high str whether barbarian or fighter that isn't wearing heavy armor should be able to run laps around the guy that is.

Could also make for a reason to actually make a str based monk as you could have insane mobility just based on movement speed and jump distance alone.
>>
>>53369015
Pact of the Blade really needs medium armor proficiency, and/or using Charisma as an attack modifier, with the invocation option at level 12 allowing you to add Str or Dex instead.

Chain is basically Improved Find Familiar, so why can't Blade be Improved Shillelagh? Wouldn't even be that OP since you still have to pump extra points into CON to offset the lower hit die compared to typical melee characters, and you still need either Dex or Str to wield the appropriate type of armor, you just don't need to get both your attacking stats up to 20 for optimal play.
>>
>>53369015
I would prefer the patron to determine your abilities more strongly. The recent UAs are like that, because the invocations have a prerequisite and are not generic. The same should be for pact boons. Maybe a patron could offer more than one pact boon??
>>
>>53369058
Movement speed isn't actually that useful honestly, unless you're a rogue and can take the Disengage action as a bonus action. Being able to attack the other guy before his turn arrives is more useful than running 5-10 feet faster than him.

>>53369051
Agreed but the advantages should outweigh the disadvantages. Currently, Dex fighters are more viable than Str fighters almost always.
>>
>>53369065
I think invisible familiars were a mistake. They should instead scale as you level up or have invocations that can buff them. And your use of limited spell slots would go towards summoning stronger things, controlling creatures, or delivering powerful touch spells through the familiar.
>>
>>53369085
>Agreed but the advantages should outweigh the disadvantages. Currently, Dex fighters are more viable than Str fighters almost always.
You can always invest in STR AND DEX!
>>
>>53369085
Right, but the idea would also be to have a movement penalty if you decide to dump str.
As it stands there's no meaningful reason to not dump str or int.
>>
>>53369076
Warlock honestly just needs a revision. It's such a mess in its current state.
>>
>>53369065
Copy it from Hexblade, any one-handed melee weapon. This prevents MAD CHAladins GWM murderfucking everything with only CHA.
>>
File: 1310176332617.jpg (66KB, 600x532px) Image search: [Google]
1310176332617.jpg
66KB, 600x532px
>>53369058
>>53369085

I think they should do the mean thing and just not let you add your Dex to a damage roll for any reason. Only Str improves weapon damage; and if Str doesn't increase it, nothing does.

Just wall that off as a Strength thing and there'll be more reason to increase it.
>>
>>53369015
Or just make shit up.

Had a Wild Sorc who for into a lot of trouble, including rolling TWICE on the "get younger" result, going from 28 to 16. Made a pact boon with a Fiend, that was a Clock, which could alter her age during a long rest, but had a timer set to 50 years, and at the end, if she was still alive, she would die.

As he could use this to cast spells beyond her spell slots, costing a full month every time she did. She could also mess with the perception of time, and as a cantrip deal, she could slow down or speed up the perception of time for someone as a concentration spell. Have a target +1 to hit and +1 AC, or -1 to hit and -1 AC, and made time flow differently, making it easy to mess with someone without access to a clock. She also knew the time perfectly at all times.

It was a lot more powerful than it sounds, as a mostly social and political game, she made 4 different personas, one was a 10 year old kid, another was a 20 year old damsel, one was a middle aged 40 year old upper class woman, and the last was an old rugged hag. Being able to switch between them was a major boon, and it didn't involve acting at all, as she physically changed to that age, with everything included, not just magical appearance shenanigans.
>>
>>53369120
It's not a mess. It just doesn't follow the long rest cycle and that confuses-collides with other party members. Personally, i like it. It is more fast paced.
>>
>>53369170
Nah, it's a pretty big mess.
It shoehorns you into one particular style of play with how its set up.
I don't think it sets out to do what it aimed to.

It's not underpowered and you can be effective, but it's a mess.
>>
>>53369197
I think that it tries a different style of playing. Let's say it's exprerimental. It's like psionics: it's not streamlined yet but it shows the way to the future.
>>
>>53369170
I really like the short rest mechanic for Warlocks. All my party members are super jealous when I cast a max-level spell just like that and get it back for the next encounter.

They're just somewhat less useful for longer encounters since it takes so long to get extra spell slots (although they do have stronger cantrips and at-will spells to balance this out a bit). I think it might be fixed by giving them a single extra spell slot at lv5 or 6.
>>
>>53369197
>>53369170
Just talk to your GM. Make a short rest those breaks you take whenever you sit down for a bite of food. That should be at least twice a day.

As a GM I slap my players with exhaustion if they attempt to go for an entire day with only 1 meal. You need food when being this physically active, travelling all over. You can't just skip meals, and short rests are intended to be these "food breaks". So if your players aren't getting those, you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>53368602
B.. bump.

Anyone able to help me with this?
>>
So what are my options if I don't plan to get GWM on my Barbarian? Should I go for Sword 'n' Board or Dual-Wielding?
>>
File: joker.jpg (130KB, 757x505px) Image search: [Google]
joker.jpg
130KB, 757x505px
>Be hexblade
>Pick Pact of the Chain as my pact boon
LOCK ME UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY
>>
File: kaldaria.png (1MB, 1713x1259px) Image search: [Google]
kaldaria.png
1MB, 1713x1259px
fuck it, ill do a rundown.
FACTIONS THAT MY PLAYERS WILL DEAL WITH EARLY ON

>Woodelves of Northern Kaldaria ( currently in a light skirmish type war with the Kaldarian Kingdom)
They're good old fashioned welfs, druids and treekin for the hard hitting melee, magic/bows for everything else

>Pirate town of Portsmoth
Muskets, pistols, axes, blunderbusses. Think Caribbean pirate.

>Kaldarian Kingdoms; state member of the United Kingdoms of Leihaberon (border conflict with the elves, real war with the undead reavers to the south, eventually will escalate to a full scale conflict once the Empire attacks assisting them)
Knighthouses, a couple notable wizards, and a whole lot of average footmen, nothing fancy, but their cavalry are something to be feared

>Undead reavers of Count Wokaqrax the mad
Just a bunch of skeletons/zombies/evil treekin/various other undead. They have Necromancer leader types who can use some nasty magicks.

>Erfolg the black
Evil dragon living in a forgotten mountain with a shitload of dragonkin followers, just a bunch of low lvl dragons, melee inf, and of course Erfolg himself who's pretty nasty

>The Thetrorian Empire (will be introduced from a distance at first, but as the players figure out the plot, they'll full on invade Kaldaria)
These guys are the nonstandard types, they're a mix of Roman/British Empire influences, their main fighters are just walls of shock infantry wielding short muskets and gladius, they don't give a single fuck about morals so they use a lot of darker/undead magick, not uncommon to see them revive an entire platoon after it's been cut down on the field

The general idea of all of this is if my players play their cards right it will be them, the Elves, the pirates, and the Kaldarian Kingdoms all working together against the collective might of Erfolg undead and dragonkin army, and the Thetrorian Empire's invasion force (by the time the full on war starts I think they'll have dealt with Wokaqrax)

pic related
>>
Is Dwarf Resilience pretty shit or is that just me? It looks good on paper but I can't figure out a single build that would want it, maybe Monks or Clerics I guess.
>>
>>53369170
>>53369197
It's supposed to be more limited BUT more powerful over the day than the other casters.
If anything, all other casters should be reworked into short-rest classes.
The Warlock is missing invocations, especially more low-level utility spells as invocations, ways to expand their spell list, and using the Arcana slots to upcast normal spells, then it would work as the only caster allowed in the campaign.
>>
>>53369490
Err, I guess it depends on the games you play in? I'm DMing a game in which it works amazing for the dwarf fighter.
>>
>>53369490
Dwarf Dragonsorc is ridiculously resilient for a caster. D6, sure, but with a lot of Con (You are doing it wrong if this starts below 16 as a dwarf) you'll easily be more durable than any non-tank frontliner. Rogues and Monks wish they were this tough.
>>
>>53369511
I want to like it, I really do. It just seems hard to fit in somewhere. I have thought about a Samurai Dwarf using it though.

>>53369521
Oh that's something I didn't think of, I could pull that off even better as a Stone Sorcerer.
>>
>>53369490
It's probably good if you're fighitng something with poison.
>>
>>53369530
He's talking about their new racial feat.

Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

Whenever you take the Dodge action in combat, you can spend one Hit Die to heal yourself. Roll the die, add your Constitution modifier, and regain a number of hit points equal to the total (minimum of 1).
>>
>>53369321
Dual wielding.
>>
>>53369490
>>53369540
Maybe fighters or paladins that focus on defense?

We have a Fighter that just stands at the front of the party in narrow hallways and takes the Dodge action constantly. Almost no attack rolls get past 21 AC with disadvantage.
>>
>>53369409
> their main fighters are just walls of shock infantry wielding short muskets and gladius
That sounds cool, I wonder what the hell they'd look like though
>>
>>53369409
Not half bad, man. Your map gives me some ideas for my own setting.
>>
Any tips on running The Sunless Citadel
>>
>>53369321
S&B and MC into Rogue after 5.
>>
I just realized disadvantage is actually advantage.
Wotc are so stupid haha.
>>
>>53369809
what
>>
>>53369809
What the fuck are you blathering about?
>>
I'm trying to do a "mystic knightly order" without a religious turn to it (i.e. no Paladins or Clerics), I've been looking at using actual Mystics but... they feel off, some of their powers just look unbalanced and overall seem too capable in a way. So I was thinking of doing arcane instead of psionic.

Obviously Eldritch Knight fits perfect, but when I look at EK from a build perspective, I'm not sure how handy those spells are. Shield and Misty Step seems great, but you can't get the second until level 8? The options just seem a bit limited and just 4 levels of normal wizard can do like 8 levels of EK, since the class abilities after level 3 and before 15 are mediocre at best.

Am I missing something? Should I just go Ftr1/Wiz4 and then go back to EK for 4-6 levels?
>>
File: C3r5jEdWIAA5zeH.jpg (45KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
C3r5jEdWIAA5zeH.jpg
45KB, 704x396px
>>53369860
>>53369882
it's double chance to roll 20
>>
File: 1386129692370.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1386129692370.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>53369809
>>
How does one go about running a Gothic dnd campaign?
>>
File: Good job.png (51KB, 217x166px) Image search: [Google]
Good job.png
51KB, 217x166px
>>53369809
>>53369894
>>
>>53369894
Don't stop there.

You also have more chances to roll a 20 if you keep stabbing yourself with a dagger even when there are no enemies left.

Use a dagger because you will survive longer to roll more 20s.
>>
>>53369934
Jest if you want, my logic is flawless. Statistically "advantage" and "disadvantage" are no different.
>>
>>53369894
>You have to pick the lower roll.
>>
>>53369894
Mate, you have to pick the lower roll. You have a 1/400 chance of rolling a 20 that you'll get to use with disadvantage.
>>
>>53369957
Chances of getting an end-result 20 with advantage:
1/20 + 1/20 = 2/20 or 1/10

Chances of getting an end-result 20 with disadvantage:
1/20 * 1/20 = 25/10000 or 1/400
>>
>>53369894
You pick the worse roll, you fucking retard.
>>
Ok, I want to do some shenanigans to my players involving a succubus and an NPC ex-lover of one of the characters. Which of the two ideas sounds best?

>lover NPC is kidnapped by succubus
>succubus impersonates lover and ambushes PC
>makes a grand "revelation" that she was a succubus all along
>succubus then escapes from the fight and arranges for the lover to be "captured" and sent to the PC, hoping he kills his lover

Or

>lover NPC was indeed a succubus all along
>she ambushes the PC, making it seem as if she just impersonated his lover
>if she fails to kill him and escapes, she arranges to be found all tied up with the lover's appearance
>>
>>53369980
You can't pick the lower roll if their both the same.

>>53369981
Now calculate it where a success is any roll over 10.
>>
>>53369999
inb4 I was only pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>53369999
>>53369894
Then enlighten us with your math, clearly you're smart enough to be way ahead of us so do up some numbers about the odds.
>>
>just want to be a stereotypical merman
>tridents are utter ass
Guess I'll just use a hammer or something then
>>
>>53370024
Ok I'm not good maths so bear with me. True a d20 has 20 sides, but it is really just a matter of success/failure, so 50/50.
Your "lowest dice" might not even be a failure, and you have two of them so that's.. At least 25/25/25/25% chance of succeeding.
>>
>>53370048
Do you even understand how statistics works?
>>
>>53369999
You have a 30.3% chance of getting over 10 with Disadvantage.

55% with nothing and 79.8% with Advantage.

Your chances of getting a Critical with disadvantage are 0.2%, 5% normally and 9.8% with advantage. You can find all the math already done.

>>53370048
think of it like this retard. Instead of rolling 1 die to see if you succeed, you need two dice to succeed. There's literally 0 statistical advantage to be gained from disadvantage and if you're "Not good at math" you're sure as shit not the kind of person to be looking for one.
>>
>>53369999
>Now calculate it where a success is any roll over 10.

Chances of success with advantage:
1/2 + 1/2 − 1/2 × 1/2 = 3/4

Chances of success with disadvantage:
1/2*1/2 = 1/4
>>
>>53370068
No not really.. But I'll take disadvantage over novantage every day for the chance of two 20s
>>
>>53369409
Oh look it's fantasy hampshire.

Why is the isle of wright corrupted?
>>
>>53370080
Are you trolling or a literal retard?

Inb4 I was only pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>53370080
What does two 20's give you except a rarer chance of getting them then one 20? There's no point to trying to get two 20's over one.
>>
>>53370080
You literally do not understand math.
>>
>>53370080
>he has to roll TWO 20s on disadvantage in order to actually get a 20 for his result
>he thinks that's easier than only rolling ONE 20 without disadvantage

In what fucking world is rolling TWO 20s easier than rolling ONE 20?
>>
>>53370094
>>53370096
>>53370100
>>53370113
I'm sorry....
>>
>>53370129
Why the fuck did you believe what you were believing?
>>
>>53369990
Stop forcing your horrible fetishes into the game.
>>
>>53370175
Probably generations of "natural 20s can do anything!"
>>
>>53369990
Second has logical inconsistencies.

Firsft one is straight up dumb.
>>
>>53370175
I didn't think before posting....
at least I got some sweet (You)s...
>>
>>53369913
Gothic campaigns are generally predicated on feelings of dread and powerlessness. So drop hints that your players are biting off way more than they can chew, and start using things like charm/domination effects that make their assaults useless. It's all about that inability to do anything to an ignominious fate. Of course, you should punctuate this with the occasional success for the good guys.
>>
>>53370072
The chances are always 50% though, you either roll a crit or you don't
>>
>>53370257
That's what I thought but when someone actually posted the numbers of 1/400 it kinda freaked me out..
>>
>>53370257
You require both dice to roll a 20. Compared to getting one die to roll it.

If you roll one die it's a 5% chance which no one's arguing about. If we require two to get 20 shit gets a lot harder.

Think of it as we roll the first die and there's 20 different results possible, then you roll the second die no matter what number we roll on the first. So each of those 20 has another 20 sub results, which means there's 400 possible results of what we could roll here. Only one of those 400 results in a critical.
>>
>>53370257

It is easier to roll ONCE over 10 than it is to roll TWICE over 10. To find the probability that TWO independent events occur in sequence, you have to multiply the two individual probabilities for each event happening.

Let's stipulate "event = Roll 10+ on a d20". The probability for this event to occur on a fair die (without engaging in obscene levels of uncertainty) should be 1/2 (or 0.5). So, let's see if it's easier to get one 10+ result on a d20 or two 10+ results on a d20 below:

>For us to get 10+ or higher on two d20 rolls, the probability will be given by 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25 (1/4)

>For us to get 10+ or higher on one d20 roll, the probability is simply 0.5 as given (or 1/2).

0.5 > 0.25, therefore it is more likely to get one 10+ result on a d20 than it is to get that result twice in two d20 rolls.
>>
>>53370238
An ever fun way of making a gothic campaign:

The players success might yield small rewards to them, but never seem to really effect the grand scheme of things. I'll the overlords of the city? The next morning, a new group of overlords are introduced as taking over the leadership. Nothing changes. They got some loot from the raid, and that is the effect it had.

Everyone they meet have the same feeling of depression around them. No one has any hope for a better future. Some might indulge in the darkness, making it worse, or actively seeking thrills until one of their ventures ends up killing them, as a form of "suicide by thrills".

Everything becomes so superficial, with so many thick layers of secrecy, that few know nor care what the other truly feel. It doesn't matter.

This is what Dark Heresy, for example, does well: you know you can't change shit, so you just do whatever you can, hoping the small things will have a noticeable impact at some point down the road.

I'd introduce a system to keep track of insanity and corruption of sorts. Something that tracks how messed up the characters are. If you have faith in how good your players are, just skip it, and let them play it out.

My last Gothic campaign ended up with them hoping up inside the Prime Citadel, the centerpoint of the sprawling metropolis like city they were in, killing everything that came in. Took 4 sessions and 800 dead people, before they finally got taken out, along with most of the citadel as well.

These characters were street kids who wanted a better life. They got a slightly better life as adults... but their yearning for making everything better kept burning. At some point, it became obvious just how little they could do. They were simply not able to change anything with the small acts. So they went bigger. Until it finally culminated.
>>
>>53370315
>0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25 (1/4)
How does multiplying two numbers make it smaller...
>>
>>53370356
Are you thick or summat?

2 * 1 means 2 lots of 1, therefore one twice, therefore 2.

0.5 * 1 means half lots of 1, therefore half of one, therefore 0.5.

Did you go to school?
>>
>>53370356

I don't know bro, why don't you ask your calculator and find out. You're not this stupid, you're simply shitposting at this point.

On the off-chance that you're not actually shitposting, it's because you are multiplying numbers that are <1
>>
>>53370311
>>53370315
You'll still be rolling either a crit or not, though. 2 options, 50% chance for each.

Man I think at this point everyone gets it and there's not much point in spelling it out anymore.
>>
>>53370311
>>53370315
>>53370369
>>53370372
Dudes, why are you feeding the severely autistic retard? Ignore the little shit.
>>
>>53370356
>>
>>53370369
>>53370372
I think it makes more sense if 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.75
>>
File: 1350283906205.jpg (111KB, 411x349px) Image search: [Google]
1350283906205.jpg
111KB, 411x349px
>>53370356
Because they're fractions? Like, do you need me to explain it like this is 7th grade maths?

Ok, so in the example of .5 * .5 =? let's first take out those nasty, confusing decimal places. However, don't get rid of them yet, we still need them.

We're left with 5 * 5 = 25, obviously. Still with me?

Now we need to pick up those decimal places we took out earlier. Since we moved a total of two decimal places, we're going to move two decimal places back in our answer, so we're left with .25 or 1/4th.

I know I took the bait.
>>
>>53370395

If I take HALF of something that is already a HALF of something else, then I should have a QUARTER of the original thing in question.

With regards to a whole apple, what would you have if you took half OF A HALF an apple? You'd have a quarter of a whole apple at that point, because you halved the apple once, and then you took one of those halves and then halved it again.
>>
>>53370410
>>53370420
Bros, why are you this easily baited? Ignore the little shit.
>>
>>53370183
Fetishes? What the fuck are you talking about? I just want a dramatic situation.

>>53370220
Can you elaborate? On the first one at least, to me it sounds like a very fiendish thing to try and deceive someone into killing their lover.
>>
>>53370410
>Ok, so in the example of .5 * .5 =? let's first take out those nasty, confusing decimal places. However, don't get rid of them yet, we still need them.
>We're left with 5 * 5 = 25, obviously. Still with me?
I don’t really understand why but that helps a lot.

>>53370420
>If I take HALF of something that is already a HALF of something else, then I should have a QUARTER of the original thing in question.
But you still have the original half so it should be half+quarter?
>>
>>53370395
You're thinking of
'There is a 50% chance of success, 50% chance of failure. On that 50% chance of failure, I have another attempt that's 50% chance of success but 50% chance of failure'
That's not 0.5*0.5.
That's advantage, and that does bring up to 75%.
>>
>>53370431
>But you still have the original half so it should be half+quarter?

Not in the example of the d20s we do not. You didn't "have" the other half of the d20 probability. You don't get to "keep" that half, because if you did then rolling a number 10+ on a d20 would = 100% chance. But again, you don't have access to that "half", because you don't have access to the entire probability distribution. The event we described (getting 10+ on a d20) is only allowed a 0.5 probability of occurring.

I used the example of the apple instead to demonstrate in a more intuitive fashion how numbers could get smaller through multiplication if the numbers being multiplied were both <1.

Let's say I gave you a half of an apple. You now have 0.5 of an apple. Now let's say I ordered you to take HALF OF THAT HALF and then give me the leftovers. You now have HALF OF A HALF, which = a QUARTER.

Half of a half is literally another way of rephrasing the operation 0.5 * 0.5. You don't get to keep ANYTHING ELSE except for the HALF OF THE HALF. That means you get to keep 1/4.
>>
File: tumblr_n3zouiMQlb1tpsowyo1_400.gif (1MB, 300x164px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3zouiMQlb1tpsowyo1_400.gif
1MB, 300x164px
>>53370431
>>
Well I learn a lot from this thread.
>>
>>53368964
PHB has Fighter and Monk doing silly combat tricks like that, but I guess they wouldn't push anyone hard enough to go through walls.
>>
>>53370692
You learned* a lot, you fucking retard.
>>
>>53370746
Not necessarily, they may still be learning.

Like if you were right, and they meant learned, then they've learned something there as well, making their original post right anyway.
>>
>>53368964
Aside from the melee options in >>53370712, any character can also replace one of their melee attacks with a Shove action:

>Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you.
>If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.
>The target of your shove must be no more than one size larger than you, and it must be within your reach.
>You make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use).
>If you win the contest, you either knock the target prone or push it 5 feet away from you.

If you're looking for non-strength related things, the Warlock has an invocation that allows their cantrip to push a creature 10 feet back with no save, only requireing you to hit with your Eldritch Blast. At higher levels this becomes kind of silly since you get extra attacks per level. At lv17 you can push a creature back 40', which is more movement than your typical humanoid tends to have.
>>
>>53366595
Not an evil mage surprisingly. He's a Barbarian with a megalomaniac problem.
Has a habit of killing kings and taking crowns. Doesn't wear furs like a normal barbarian, it's all gold and jewels from killing kings and taking anything of value.
His right hand man is the Dwarf that reforges everything that he takes in this fashion. He's also batshit insane and builds torture devices.
His left hand man is a lady. She's a rogue that steals identities to get close to royalty, open a hole in the defenses and let the Barbarian do his thing.
They all get along for mutual joy in regicide, booze, and whores.
>>
Which classes work best with elven accuracy? Barbarian and ranged rogue?
>>
>>53370859
I'd say Hunter and Champion can also be brutal with it. You know how Rangers eventually get the bonus action hide? because Crawford said that Volley counts as one attack with multiple attack rolls.

So that advantage on the next attack after hiding works on all of them, so you can be making a lot of super advantage Sharpshooter attacks per round with Hunter.
>>
>>53370859
>Which classes work best with elven accuracy
Paladin can be pretty brutal.
>>
>>53370859
Barbarogue, barbarian, any melee martial with a wolf barbarian, shield master, treachery paladin, maybe vengeance paladin...
>>
Best Barbarian feat that gives +1 DEX, CON or STR?
>>
>>53368349

Depending on character levels, A Wild Sheep Chase (4th-5th), Under the Floorboards (1st), or any scenario from Bounty in the Bog (1st-4th) are all simple fun adventures.

The first two are certainly a bit more wacky in tone and scope, the second is more standard. All are available for free online.
>>
>>53371049
Honestly I'd recommend Stealthy. Being able to sneak around one of the heaviest hitters can be handy.
>>
File: V6JQtnz.jpg (436KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
V6JQtnz.jpg
436KB, 1600x1200px
>>53371082
Who needs Stealth when you can just use Intimidate?
>>
A few weeks back someone posted a roll20 plugin which made a character sheet for every monster in the monster manual and some of the monsters from adventures (CoS, OotA etc.). I've been using it for sometime now but now all of a sudden it won't work anymore, anyone got any clue as to why?
>>
>>53368259
>Justify it by saying the monsters have "nicer weapons".
>Yeah, these bandits have glass daggers and daedric battleaxes and shit. Whatever. IDGAF.
>>
>>53366595
My Wizard plans on building a tower when he retires. But it's an underground tower, to draw less unnecessary attention.

>>53368349
Run Lost Mines

>>53368881
Mine is "What's the meaning of death?"
>>
>>53369990
Could anyone give me some actually useful advice?
>>
>>53371397

Play a character, not a gimmick

Don't go into it thinking, I'm gonna be a barbarian who uses a huge sword

Go in thinking, I'm gonna be a barbarian who is actually a pacifist but can't help but get angry.
>>
>>53369409
What's the map scale?

>>53369890
Bladesinger maybe?
>>
>>53368942
Christ no
>>
>>53371451
And how about advice pertaining to my original question?
>>
>>53369890
How about a paladin or a paladin-sorcerer or a paladin-warlock?

Paladins aren't necessarily religious, you dunce. By definition a paladin is a knightly figure of chivalry, one who sets examples. Not a religious fighter.
>>
>>53369890
What is it about the Mystic that makes you feel it's too capable for what you want to do?
>>
>>53371397
The second one seems simpler and will presumably end with the PC discovering the ruse and killing the Succubus, which leaves a better taste in the mouth than the alternative, discovering the ruse and realising he killed his lover, then having to chase down and kill the Succubus separately.
>>
>>53367054
Come back after you turn 18, kid.
>>
>>53371184

That's the spirit!
>>
>>53371328
>underground tower

You mean a basement?
>>
>>53366544
Very diverse. Dungeon exploration, city adventures, diplomacy missions, deserts, forests, etc.
If you are talking about players we have ~ 50% girls at the table.
If you are talking about drag queen masochists who try to grope you under the table, no.
If you are talking about a cast of NPCs who are all allowed in Wisconsin, no.
>>
Anyone tried the Monster Hunter fighter yet? Also, I was thinking about trying a ranger, are they good if you want to use melee weapons and not ranged?
>>
I've noticed like 3/4ths of your Generals are PoC, is 5e a progressive game in the vein of White Wolf productions?
>>
So we ran into an odd case yesterday...

I have a Rogue who started off as a Dragonborn. Yeah yeah "inefficient" and all that jazz.

At level 13, I naturally had my Dex maxed anyway. Unfortunately, I got killed, and while finding someone or something that could revive me, the party found a weird ass guy, who cast reincarnation on me. I was then revived as a drow elf.

The GM started looking through the rules, and we began replacing my traits... more or less. I had used the draconic language a lot, and it made little sense to lose it. I already knew elf, so we just kept it like that.

Then came the stats. I lost the stats and gained the new ones... except...

I already had 20 dex. No bonus from my race. Unlikely literally any other place in the book, it doesn't specify that this can bring you above 20. And certain things can, like the barbarian level 20 feature, and most importantly, MAGIC.

And reincarnation is definitely magic.

My GM wanted to think about it, and urged me to do the same. What do you guys think? Are we misreading something , or does the rules seem to imply that you just get the stat bonus, regardless of what your current stats are?
>>
>>53371950
I get it, Wisconsin's full of white people therefore it's racist and discriminatory. Very funny!
>>
>>53371973
Reincarnation only changes your race, it's not a magical effect that boosts your statline. Your attributes max out at 20 regardless of whether or not you already have a racial modifier.

I would personally say that no, you have 20 Dex until you get a magic item or have a spell cast on you that directly increases the score.
>>
>>53371783
Yeah, I can see that. Though having someone they care about actually be a devil all that time would be bitter anyway. On the first scenario the PC might not kill his lover and discover the ruse.

But using the second would allow me to make a succubus with (treachery?) paladin levels using the guidelines from DMG, which seems like a lot of fun.
>>
>>53371973
I'd say no, since the PHB does specifically say that "you can't raise an ability score above 20".

Honestly, since you technically raised your ability score above 20 before, I'd just let you reassign those extra points to minimize fuss.
>>
>>53368349
Mad Wizard's Amulet
>>
>>53371973
I'd rule that you would gain +2 racial Dex from being a drow, and then could either put those 2 points elsewhere, or pick a feat. Essentially retrain one of your ASIs.

Funny thing is I have a similar case in my party. Drow fighter died and got reincarnated into a dragonborn. He is now the only dragonborn in the party, and literally the only one who doesn't speak Draconic lol

>>53371970
Uh, I guess you could say that about 5e and its development team, yeah. Not necessarily about 5eg.
>>
>>53372088
>Honestly, since you technically raised your ability score above 20 before, I'd just let you reassign those extra points to minimize fuss.
Yeah that's probably the easiest path.

The reason we are in doubt is because of how often the book tells you a specific ASI cant take it above 20. It makes it sound more exclusive, aka telling you what you CAN'T do, compared to what you CAN do, and since racial abilities does not have this restriction, we got a bit confused.

As another player put it, "The races are innately more powerful. So when a dragonborn gets to 20, but is then turned into an Elf, they have artificially trained themselves above what should be possible- so the magic spell reincarnation, that magically turns you into a new race, would apply those increases on top of what you already have, even if that brings you above what should be possible."

I'll suggest just relocating them though, I could use the +2 in intelligence.
>>
>>53372112
>Not necessarily about 5eg

Why not?
>>
Why don't you make all of your characters have a connected story /5eg/?
>>
>>53372197
Because my GM refuses to reuse the same setting ever. Even when it is, it is always "alternate reality" of that setting.
>>
>>53368200
Unless it's a particularly dangerous wooded area, there's no reason to make them fight anything It won't do anything.

If they're in a place where they simply can't so easily sleep, then they might start getting into combat. In a dungeon, in a forest with many roaming monsters.
They have to fight until they're out and they don't have time to rest.

None of this 'Oh, you just so happen to be just in time to stop the wizard's ritual if you don't rest now what a coincidence!' shit.
>>
>>53371973
Had a case like this the other week actually. DM decided they'd keep their original race feature only losing race stats and get over 20 dex to 22.
>>
>>53372267
Oops
>Original race feature
As in, variant human feat.
>race stats
Race ASI
>>
>>53372187
Handful of spergs memeing or spouting prejudice and from time to time /pol/ leaks over.
>>
>>53371970
Not really it's just some chuckle fucks hoping to trigger fa/tg/uys
>>
>>53371983
Found the cheeser.
>>
>>53372295
/pol/ is 1/4th of 4chan, they are on every board, just deal with it
>>
>>53372323
>just deal with these filthy crossboarders sucking up bandwidth and post limits
They need to go back. /tg/ for /tg/. It's not our fault their board is a shithole.
>>
>>53372295
>/pol/ leaks over
>Warhammer 40k exists
>D&D would be a perfect place to live out their fantasies

Come on man don't lie to yourself and everyone else.
>>
>>53368200
You can have them encounter bandits or whoever and massacre them without combat (or with quick combat), it'll make players feel good about themselves. Otherwise if you want a general encounter for higher levels and they're walking through a regular forest and not some literal hell-on-earth landscape, you must get creative. For example what was the last quest they finished? Somebody didn't like them succeeding and hired group of pro mercenaries / assassins to get rid of them.
>>
You know, every other 5eg thread I check has someone starting some long winded conversation about Critical Role, but I don't think I've ever seen you guys talk about any other DnD shows/podcasts.

Any reason why? Otherwise, any favorites?
>>
>>53372412
Critical Role is the popular big budget (comparatively) one. Acquisitions incorporated is another good one.
>>
>>53372412
Because HarmonQuest 2 isn't out yet.
>>
Where do I go with a Moon Bow Fey Bladelock? I don't really want to progress too much as a warlock. I'm level 3, tempted to go to level 5 for extra attack and pact weapon +1 and multiclass. What are good options? I want to be mostly an archer, and smite as often as possible, with a few spells for utility.
>>
>>53369103
>Quality builds
>>
>>53372462
>Where do I go with a Moon Bow Fey Bladelock
hopefully with the rest of your party to a dungeon
being able to make a crazy bow out of faerie magic isn't gonna help you much in a poker game or your cobbling job
>>
A friend gathered a group of us to try 5e, and table top in general, and we all loved it. Unfortunately he's not local so I've stepped up to volunteer as DM.

Can I get feedback on the plot / world? First time DM with almost fully green players but I want to avoid modules.

Party all find themselves in an inn outside of a major trading town, and after a introductory scuffle everyone in the room is branded on their chest via some kind of spell. Unknown to them, it's a mark of death, an assassin cult is bound to kill any marked in this manner. Unfortunately the target of the spell, a council member from the town who regulars the inn, wasn't actually there.
Cue them following (hopefully) the bar tenders clue that another marked bandit came through a few weeks past, and chase back to an outpost.
There are reasons a bandit leader peacefully passed through an isolated Inn that i don't have space to explain.

Once getting themselves to the leader they find his throat freshly cut, after which they are assaulted in the night by a few assassin members.

Less specifically they'll piece what the brand means, and go about uncovering the cult. This will open up the other plot...

The Noble of the town is secretly a vampire, whose long plans for the settlement have made it a wealthy trading centre. Unfortunately this is a cover up for expanding into the southern woods, which house thousands of shallow graves from a long ago fought battle. After 250 years the land is almost cleared and everyone just thinks it's for expansion.

There's some push back from a druid who's cheekily awakening trees to fight back, but not because he knows the truth of the noble. They'll have an early run in with awakened plants to set this up.

Thoughts? I'm hoping the branding gives the group a reason to stick together, with a combat centred start shift into something less conventionally game-y.
>>
>>53372369
When the "/pol/ bogeyman" is on every single board on the entire site, it's time to accept that /pol/ isn't a bogeyman and that those views are just the views of most of 4chan. This isn't your hugbox.
>>
File: 1380583576680.jpg (44KB, 344x505px) Image search: [Google]
1380583576680.jpg
44KB, 344x505px
>>53367362
>giving everyone a free feat without also banning variant human/making variant human give +2/+1
>>
>>53372412
>>53372432
>>53372459
Any thoughts on Adventure Quest? Might be a bit PC, but I've enjoyed the story and jokes as far as I've listened.
>>
>>53372517
>whines about hugboxes
>insists his view is the majority and everyone who thinks he's a faggot should shut up
I don't have an image for this level of wew
>>
>>53372538
Where did I once say you should shut up? How does noticing an objective truth about 4chan's views = hugbox?

Don't use words you don't know the meaning of.
>>
>>53367394
>>53367362
>>53372534
The problem with variant human is as >>53367391
said.

Compulsory weapon feats.

Remove weapon feats and give all martials parts of weapon feats and then suddenly, wow, variant human is balanced! Who would have thought?
>>
>>53372553
>implying you need to say anything when I know what you're thinking
>getting into an argument with an e-Mystic
>>
>>53372536
Meant "Adventure Zone". I really shouldn't get on /tg/ before I have my coffee.
>>
>>53372585
>if I start acting retarded, I can backpedal without anyone noticing and act like I've been pretending this whole time
Ah yes, a classic.
>>
>>53372596
>if I call everyone else a retard first, they can't call me one
Aren't you supposed to be spending your time on voat now or something
>>
>>53372608
I didn't call you a retard. I said you were ACTING retarded. However, given your illiteracy that you've displayed quite prominently in your past few posts, I'm going to call you a retard now.

Retard.
>>
>>53372628
>getting this mad
wew, maybe remind yourself /pol/'s sticky image before resorting to name-calling
>>
>>53368200
By general encounters, what do you mean exactly?
Random encounters that are tied to the location and situation in which the party finds itself? Random not necessarily meaning you roll off a table, but you have a few prepared and you choose one that is most appropriate.
>>
>>53372645
>u-umad
Death throes
>>
>>53370356
I'm keeping this one for "You should be able to solve this." threads.
>>
File: herman_crying.jpg (13KB, 300x335px) Image search: [Google]
herman_crying.jpg
13KB, 300x335px
>>53372608
>>53372628
Will you girls move it to some other forum?

This is like some creepy permavirgin mating ritual.
>>
>>53372667
Not an argument
>>
For fuck's sake. And I even spoilered my post to avoid these pointless arguments.
>>
>>53372689
>expecting an actual argument on 4chan
>>
>>53372685
>using "virgin" as an insult
>on 4chan
>on fucking /tg//
There was no clearer away to announce your own virginity than this.

>>53372689
haha le memes!

>>53372697
If you didn't want arguments, you would've kept your mouth shut. You knew what would happen. You wanted it to happen. Because you're a fucking attentionwhore.
>>
All right, I baited him into bitching at three people at once. I think I can declare victory and let this drop now. I'd like to thank everyone for playing; we'll see you next time we're 50 posts over the bump limit.
>>
>>53372766
Oof, really? Didn't even notice.
>>
>>53372369
>Demanding intellectual purity and strict border control while hating /pol

Never look in the mirror.
>>
>>53372795
I don't even agree with /pol/, but my sides have died and gone to heaven reading that.
>>
File: jokelate.gif (959KB, 448x352px) Image search: [Google]
jokelate.gif
959KB, 448x352px
>>53372795
Go up or down a flight of stairs and then look at this image.
>>
>i am le epic baiter!
Christ. This board is as cancerous as /b/ half the time.
>>
>>53372809
Poe's Law is a bitch.
>>
>>53372831
>falling for a "I was merely pretending!" post
Come on lad.
>>
>>53372844
>rule of three and using one of their memes verbatim
>still not obvious enough for some people
I'm afraid there's no helping you.
>>
File: Merely an act.jpg (26KB, 323x262px) Image search: [Google]
Merely an act.jpg
26KB, 323x262px
>>53372855
>>
I'm toying with making a NPC succubus with 7 levels of treachery paladin. Unsurprisingly, the way I built it raises its CR from 4 to 9. Main changes are:

>AC 18 (instead of 15) from studded leather armor, shield, 18 Dex
>123 HP (19d8+38) because 14 Con and extra 7 hit dice from paladin
>multiattack 2x rapier or claws and pseudo smite 2d8 poison damage on each hit
>Draining Kiss buffed to deal 8d10+5 psychic damage
>saving throw DCs increased to 17

What do you guys think? I'm not even sure if I'm gonna add spellcasting to the mix, seems like it already does enough.
>>
>>53372855
For what it's worth, I got it
>>
If I really like playing to type with my characters, am I a bad roleplayer
>>
>>53373046
>playing to type
wuuuuuut?
>>
>>53373046
No. Just one with a limited wheelhouse. Tom Cruise always plays the same sort of character, but it doesn't make him a bad actor.
>>
A long time ago, I saw a D&D optimised build that made very little sense, but I was wondering if anyone knew about it.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't 5e, but I don't know which edition it was, so I may as well ask here as anywhere.

It revolved around taking some sort of builds or feats or some such from first level that gave ridiculous amounts of negative XP or negative levels or thereabouts, which worked out in their favour in some way.
>>
>>53373101
are you sure you don't want to be a tad more vague?
>>
I want to make an NPC to rival my party's ranger in archery. Doesn't need to be a particularly powerful person, just very skilled in archery and with the right personality to be a rival. Ranger is wood elf, level 9, 11 to hit without magic

How do I go about that? Is there any pre-made NPC I could use?
>>
>>53373234
Make him a bard archer that has swiftquiver before him.
Make him handsome. Make him charming.
>>
>>53373234
Go the Legolas route and make him an archery fighter.
>>
>>53373261
This, with the appropriate feats like sharpshooter and maybe taking a level dip for archery fighting style if they can afford to while getting swift quiver at the same time.
>>
>>53373261
make him absolutely insufferable, make your ranger what to boot his nuts up to his teeth.
>>
>>53373186
I could have stopped after the second line.

I didn't think anyone would be able to help. It just seemed such a weird idea that I wondered.
>>
>>53373352
all i can tell you is that it wasn't a 5e build. 5e doesn't have negative experience
>>
File: bb henryk.jpg (251KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bb henryk.jpg
251KB, 500x500px
>>53371965
I did.
I also picked martial adept.
It's okay, the maneuvers that Monster Hunter comes with compliment the martial adept ones well giving you a certain range of options, although playing casters is always more fun.
>>
New thread >>53373446
>>
>>53369197
>It shoehorns you into one particular style of play
It really goes out of its way to not tell you how to play it. That lets people do stupid and ineffective things. It's trying too hard to not shoehorn you into one play style. You can pick any cantrips, and boon with any patron, whichever invocations, all your patrons spells or none of them. It's a lot of lego blocks with the minimum amount of instruction.
>>
File: StormKingsThunder_header.jpg (424KB, 1920x600px) Image search: [Google]
StormKingsThunder_header.jpg
424KB, 1920x600px
So I'm going to be running Storm King's Thunder sometime in the nesr future. I've already read through the module and thumbed the SCAG in case the party wants to go off the rails, but does anyone have any additional pointers for running that speciffic module?
>>
>>53373531
Ignore the trip, that was an accident.
>>
>>53368602
High CHA and DEX are really all you care about for a Wild Mage Sorc. Your bread and butter metamagics are Twinned and/or Quickened spell, the rest are just far more situational
>>
>>53373531
Your trip will not be ignored. I am forced to call you a TripFag, even though I genuinely enjoy the name you used.
Thread posts: 388
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.