[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 371
Thread images: 62

File: Bahamut human form.jpg (226KB, 640x1459px) Image search: [Google]
Bahamut human form.jpg
226KB, 640x1459px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53353496

This inconspicuous hobo asks you for spare change. What do?
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
I'm like this thread already
>>
Give it to him because good PC's will always be more fun and safe then evil ones, meaning that any self serving man should be good or at least neutral.
>>
>>53359031
Tell him that money won't help him and that he needs to seek to develop his situation instead of obtaining a short-term solutions that might only encourage bandits to rob him.

Give Bahamut some money, he walks on.
Teach Bahamut to fish, and you can invade the mainland before he notices.
>>
>>53359031
>say "sure"
>say "sorry, not today"
>say "piss off old man"
>inexplicably try to murder the old man because lolrandumb
>>
>>53359047
>1d8
I was discussing using a shield with it actually, so it'd probably be 1d6 most of the time.
...Whiich only makes Spear Mastery seem all the more necessary.
>>
>>53359200
On the bright side, Spear Mastery's a very good feat on some characters.

As a Paladin you don't have a crowded bonus action so you can use the Bonus Action abilities often.
>>
Last thread was a clusterfuck.
Behave, faggots.
>>
>>53359148
>IT'S WHAT MY CHARACTER WOULD DO!
>>
Please stop.
>>
>>53359234
Personally I just wish they had a spear that was a higher base damage.
>>
>>53359386
You could do the old "It's a heavy spear that can't be thrown but does more damage, so may I use 1d8 damage with it?".

Still a worse option but now not too bad.
>>
>>53359386
refluff Halberd
>>
>players say they want more politics in the next campaign
>next campaign rolls around
>all but one of them have rolled up characters that are either far removed from or reviled by society (ranger, druid, rogue, beastman (slavers in my setting))
Fucking... why?
>>
>>53359638
They can stage a revolution or something.
>>
>>53359234
Well, it's probably going to be fun anyhow. My only two characters before were 2 sessions as a Sorc and 2 as a Wizard that I was forced to play.
At least I had fun with the Sorc by scaring the shit out of people and actually managed to beat someone in melee by pummeling their face in with the bottom of my dagger.

Anyhow, after racials, how's this looking for my stats spread? This is including the Protector Aasimar ASI.
16 STR
13 DEX
14 CON
12 INT
14 WIS
18 CHA
>>
>>53359691
It's perfect. What spells are you going to use mostly?
>>
>>53359691
Well you rolled for stats which I personally dislike but it's not too bad. You're stronger then most PC's/10.
>>
>>53359691
>all positives
you'll do fine you moron
>>
>>53359638
You can still make a politics game with this, anon. Remember Jon Snow's chapters from ASOIAF?
>>
Just to be prepared, I'm going to make a random hobo Bahamut chance. Would people say 1 out of 1000, or 10,000 is better chance for any random innocent the party murders to be him?
>>
>>53359821
1 in 1 chance, provided the death wasn't relevant to the story or character driven.
>>
File: befuddled.jpg (108KB, 300x449px) Image search: [Google]
befuddled.jpg
108KB, 300x449px
I have a question;

What can I expect from 5th edition?

To elaborate a bit, I have limited experience with D&D directly.

As a kid, I had the dragon cards and handbook from AD&D 1st edition, but never got to do anything with it. I'm vaguely familiar with 2nd edition, but only through Baldur's Gate I & II, reading over the actual rules showed it was very clunky. I've played some 4th ed, and really didn't care for it, it felt too derivative.

Now I'm signed up for a text based session of 5th edition, on a whim, but have no idea what to expect, aside from the GM wants to make it more narrative focused, rather than players staring at their character sheets and min-maxing, which sounds good.

Am I going to be disappointed? I mean, the GM is pretty good, it's the system I'm concerned about.
>>
>>53359932
5e is a fine system, a bit simple, but that is by design.
>>
>running SKT for 6 brand new players
>first session
>party finds Nightstone, discovers it is full of goblin looters
>"let's just set it on fire"
>they seal up the entrances
>burn down the fucking village
>everyone inside dies
>PCs set up camp by the river as the village burns

Now what do I do? The Zhent agents probably wont be happy to discover the burnt village and it's perpetrators.
>>
Can we talk about mounts. What are the best mounts and builds for mounted combat? Is mounted combat even good? Why are paladins the only class that gets Find Steed? Would you recommend making a mounted combatant?

I was thinking of my next character being a small race mounted on a medium companion so I wouldn'y be fucked if we we had to crawl into a dungeon.
>>
>>53359971
>so I wouldn'y be fucked if we we had to crawl into a dungeon.
despite a lot of theory crafting, if your mount can navigate stairs, most dungeons aren't an issue.
>>
Posting this mainly to get more feedback on it, and what things might be busted on it.

TL;DR version: a port of the Swordsage from 3.5 to 5th edition, turned into a Monk archetype instead of a class all its own.
>>
File: like this but shield 'n staff.jpg (63KB, 649x960px) Image search: [Google]
like this but shield 'n staff.jpg
63KB, 649x960px
Making a Half Elf Archfey Warlock/Ancients Paladin. What's the "ideal" level spread?

Going Shield+Quarterstaff (Shillelagh), (Added bonus- Quarterstaff can be used for blasting EBs so I have a solid Ranged option all campaign)

As of now I'm thinking Warlock 3 for Agonizing Blast and one other Invocation (Either "you don't sleep" for flavor, Shadow Book for Rituals, or Devil's Sight for Darkness cheese), and Book for CHA Shillelagh and one other Cantrip. Maybe Thorn Whip? and the rest in Paladin.

Also r8 short rough draft backstory-
>Due to "Reasons" (Maybe they don't even remember because lolfey) they ended up as apprentice/squire to some Fey Noble/Knight/whatever*
>They serve out their apprenticeship for a decent time- in Fey standards anyways
>Now an old(ish) man, they're finally ready to finish apprenticeship/squire stuff and become a full-on Fey Knight

*maybe their parents had a contract to give up their firstborn, an Elf wanted to hide the fact they had a Half-Elf bastard child, they signed a contract at a young age not really understanding what it was to get out of an orphanage, or the lil' dude was just wandering the woods and got found
>>
have any of you guys actually had a murderhobo at your table before? also would it even be that bad considering the stupid shit most of you talk about having in your games?
>>
>>53360172
your build and your character sound gay
>>
File: 1480225536716.jpg (103KB, 800x641px) Image search: [Google]
1480225536716.jpg
103KB, 800x641px
>player constantly tries to get a spell off right before combat starts/ when I'm explaining whats going on
>>
>>53359739
I'm a worrier, okay?
>>53359728
I feel so bad for our Sorc because he got two stats below 10 and he decided one of them will be in CON.
Still, both times before I rolled for stats, I just have faith in RNG.
>>53359714
I have absolutely no fucking clue what would be good for them.
>>
Alright, my players got TPKed last session. The deal is that, unknown to them, they've all been touched by Orcus.

This means that they're going to come back to life, or un-life rather, in a somewhat compromised position.

However, I don't want death to be free of consequences, so I'm thinking that each time a PC dies, they permanently lose one of their hit dice.

Do you guys think 1 Hit Die is enough? Any suggestions for alternatives?
>>
File: orks prepare to fuck your eagle.jpg (176KB, 1000x621px) Image search: [Google]
orks prepare to fuck your eagle.jpg
176KB, 1000x621px
>>53359971
Artificer (Either one works, though Alchemist would be better for close range with a Shield if you get it somehow)

>Artificer
>Mounted Combatant
>Mechanical Servant at 6

>Attacks aimed at your servant get directed at you (With medium armor and a shield you should have decent AC)
>Your Construct gets a free attack when you get swung at

There's two main ways to do it.

>Allosarus Frontline mauler
>As the name suggests, get an Allosaurus servant, ride it into melee, RIP AND TEAR with it's attacks and yours. It has a decent AC and HP pool so it won't die like a bitch too easily.
Alchemist is probably the better option here.

>Giant Eagle Sniper
>Take a Giant Eagle servant
>Sharpshooter for long range shots (Bear in mind you'll still need Mounted Combatant because Giant Eagle has puny bitch HP)
>Hang back as far (And as high) as you can to snipe enemies with your rifle
Disclaimer- this one is much more likely for combat to happen indoors or for those pesky Orks to invent flak cannons out of the blue.
>>
>>53360305
My question is why are you bringing them back?
>>
>>53360305
each death brings them one step closer to true undeath, after x amount of deaths have healing reversed, after x more deaths, have them able to be rebuked, etc.
>>
>>53360305
fuck christ in the ass man how can you be this shit of a dm rofl
>>
>>53360305
lame, keep them dead. Tell em all to show up with new characters
>>
What would be the best way to build a DB paladin?
>>
>>53359932
5e isn't all that different from AD&D1e.

Expect a similar experience.
>>
>>53360356
I've actually been planning this for awhile. This isn't something that I just pulled out of my ass to keep failure from biting them in the ass.

Unfortunately, where I was hoping this would only happen to a single player at any given time, It happened to the whole party, so I'm gonna have to improvise.

Also, I've been foreshadowing this for a couple months already, and one of the players has already suspected that he can't die.
>>
>>53360305
Have their children and relatives set out to adventure where they failed and to find out the fate of the dead adventurers.
As in
>new characters
>>
>>53360428
>and one of the players has already suspected that he can't die.
there are worse things than death
>>
>>53360311
Thanks man. I wanted to make a gnome cowboy gun artificer and now I've got more reason.

>>53360020
Is that true though? I don't think a horse is going to fit through a lot of tight spaces and it would be weird to always have your horse inside with you.
Also what are good mounts for medium and small creatures besides Mastiff and Warhorse? Is there something that combines a Warhorse's size with a mastiffs utility?
>>
>>53360428
>I don't want death to be free of consequences
>Removes the biggest consequence there is

Why tho?
>>
>>53360488
If you have a cleric in your party, death is a slap on the wrist anyway.
>>
>>53360481
a large creature can squeeze. most dungeons don't have anything smaller than 5ft corridors. Your mount can squeeze into there.
>>
>>53360481
No problem friendo.

Something else to consider is going Fighter 2 or 3. Doing so gives you heavy armor, a fighting style, Action Surge and, more importantly for Alchemist, a Shield.

I wouldn't recommend it for a campaign that's going to go to 20 though as Artificer has a beefy as fuck capstone.
>>
>>53360428
why the fuck would orcus rezz them as undead in the first place unless they are his servants and even then why would he give them free will? its fucking stupid
>>
>>53360517
Unless your entire party just died.
>>
File: droideka.gif (2MB, 500x226px) Image search: [Google]
droideka.gif
2MB, 500x226px
>>53360530
You could also just make your Servant able to fit in a bag of holding, either by folding/unfolding, being disassembled, or if your DM tries to give you shit for those options just making it a fucking robot snake.

Or if your DM uses rules that things can be partially inside a Bag of Holding (Mine says something can either be in it or out of it, not halfway unless it's being actively removed or placed inside it), you could just let it fold itself into a more compact form to become Medium at some cost such as lower Speed or no Flight if eagle.
>>
Thoughts on the psionic testclass?
>>
Is Bahamut the new meme
>>
>>53360777
No
>>
>>53360777
No just making fun of last thread, let it go and it'll all be ok.
>>
Requirement: Strength of 16+. Starting at 5th level You gain the ability to wield 2 two-handed weapons at a time in battle. You do not add your proficiency bonus to the second strike unless a feat would specify otherwise. Or Furious swings with your sword at enemies where you add your proficiency modifier plus half your death knight level rounded down to the damage roll, For every 10 minutes of combat however, you suffer 1 level of exhaustion, up to level 4, at which point, you lose the ability to wield 2 two-handed weapons and Furious swings or until you are fully healed of exhaustion.

I've never played a martial class. Is this broken? How should I fix it? The exhaustion mechanic seems completely pointless considering it essentially takes 100 rounds of combat to gain a single point in it.
>>
>>53360870
>Homebrew
It's shit

Also, anyone can wield two two-handed weapons at a time. It doesn't mean they can do shit with it. It has to say things like 'you can use your bonus action to make another attack' or something.
>>
>>53360870
This whole thing is shit, but what really fired my neurons was:
>for every 10 minutes of combat
Nigga, most combats last less than 5 turns-30 seconds.
10 minutes of combat is about what you'll have in a short adventure.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (96KB, 438x698px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
96KB, 438x698px
Trying to figure out the best class to make this character, because it looks like he'll become a PC here soon

He's an on-the-run former adventurer long past his glory days. Focused on "dark" magic, fights in melee with a Flametounge longsword, casts spells and is in general just a very experienced old badger on a critical mission that he believes is the key to pretty much saving the world. (the PCs are working towards a totally opposite goal, though they have yet to discover they've been used)

I was thinking warlock but he doesn't have a patron, also warlock just sounds kinda boring to play. Valor/Swords Bard or Bladesinger or Paladin, I'm not sure what would work best
>>
File: buuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.png (49KB, 196x196px) Image search: [Google]
buuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.png
49KB, 196x196px
>>53361035
>>53361083
I know it's garbage. That's why I'm trying to fix it. My party member pulled this off of dandwiki. I've already torn a bunch of other chunks out of it. Half of the page is barely readable with poor grammar, but I'm not gonna say no if I can just replace some mechanics with pre-existing ones from the handbook.

Probably just gonna tell him to pick oathbreaker or eldritch knight.
>>
>>53361276
Good idea. I like to avoid homebrew as much as possible.
>>
>>53361276
Just say no you dead beat
>>
File: 1479174204102.jpg (17KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1479174204102.jpg
17KB, 255x255px
>>53361276
>My party member pulled this off of dandwiki

Stop being a bitch and tell him no
>>
>>53361360
>>53361401
>tell him no
what do you think
>Probably just gonna tell him to pick oathbreaker or eldritch knight.
means?
>>
Working on a cowboy-inspired ranger conclave. I'm trying to make nets/lassos a viable option for the conclave's gimmick.

Here's what I've got so far:
>Your attack rolls do not suffer disadvantage for being made at long range or within 5 feet of a hostile creature.
>The Strength DC required to escape is 8 + Wis mod + proficiency. The net's hit points are 10 + ranger level.
>You can use a rope as a lasso but I'm still figuring out the specifics of how to accomplish this. Like "you can spend an action to turn 20 feet of rope into a lasso. A lasso functions as a net, including gaining the benefits of this feature. When a creature is caught in a lasso, you can use your action to pull it to any point within 15 feet of you."

What else should I include? I'm considering
>When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a net as a bonus action.
But since another feature already gives you a use for your bonus action, I'm not sure. I mean, it's unlikely you'll be netting an opponent every turn, so you could use this to net someone, then use the other bonus action the rest of the time, but it still seems like bad design in a way. That might just be me.
>A ribbon relating to being really good at tying and untying knots

There's also the issue that it doesn't gel super great with the Two-Weapon Fighting style of rangering. Something like "if you have the TWF Fighting Style, you also deal Dex damage" would take care of that, but again, it seems somehow inelegant.

>You can use a net to make opportunity attacks
But I'm pretty sure you can already do that RAW. Maybe some kind of bonus that encourages you to use a net for OAs? Since otherwise it runs the risk of being overshadowed by the Sentinel feat.

Any other ideas? This is supposed to be one of the conclave's main gimmicks, on par with the animal companion or superiority dice. And I realize there are some pretty complex class/subclass features out there but I don't want it to be TOO complex.
>>
>>53361436
Why the fuck are you allowing Oathbreaker? Unless everyone else is playing really powerful builds he's going to stand head and shoulders above them
>>
>>53361514
Oh. I sorta messed up with the placement of that >ribbon line. It should've gone under "what I've got so far".

Besides ridin', ropin', and shootin', what are some other cowboy-ish things the archetype could do? Something related to the "bulletproof vest" thing for the 7th level feature?
>>
>>53361520
What kind of oathbreaker are you looking at? The one in the DMG is fine.
>>
>>53361624
oathbreaker is pretty strong man. Level 7 bonus is gonna give +3-5 damage on every hit, and if your party has any way to summon fiends/get undead minions that becomes +3-5 damage for all those too. CD is an AoE fear that regens on short rest, they're just pretty great and well rounded.

Not OP IMO and I'd totally allow it but it's fucking great
>>
File: priest.jpg (18KB, 244x346px) Image search: [Google]
priest.jpg
18KB, 244x346px
>>53360172
Sounds good to me.
If I were you I'd avoid the Darkness invocation so as to not annoy your allies.
Maybe check out the book Priest, your backstory sounds a bit like the Green Order and that might help you write / play them a bit.
>>
Hello friends. I am new.

Am I correct in assuming a level 3 Warlock can have 2 level 1 spells and 2 level 2 spells?
>>
>>53361624
It is, but still stronger than the other classes and why its in the DMG and requires DM permission.
>>
I've been invited to a 5e game and I've only briefly glanced at the system before. I'm planning on playing a Fighter and taking the Monster Hunter archetype at level 3 because it looks fun and effective, plus I've always wanted to play that sort of fighter. I also used the variant human trait to get Ritual Caster at level 1, but I can't decide between Cleric or Wizard spell lists. As a Monster Hunter, a lot of the Cleric's list looks useful -- divination rituals will always help and the capstone ritual, Forbiddance, is perfect -- and I took the Acolyte background for RP reasons. However, I cannot deny that the Wizard's list has a *ton* of also useful rituals, and a large bag of tricks can be the thing that saves my bacon later on.

>tl;dr fighter pretending at being a ritual caster; both seem useful, so I'm stuck between flavorful Cleric list or adaptable Wizard list.

inb4 my inexperience with 5e led me to take a horrible combination of design choices and I should just scrap everything and start over.
>>
Has anyone here heard of or read about the Blood Hunter, also would I be better off going 1handed weapon and shield with the dueling style or two handed weapon with great weapon fighter for a paladin? Speaking strictly about maximizing melee damage
>>
>>53361711
That's exactly it, dear anon.
You can flare up any more questions you have, /5eg/ is a very receptive and polite community.
Enjoy your stay.
>>
>>53361711
you are not, they have the spell slots listed so 2 level 2
>>
>>53361722
What's your party comp? It's probably better to leave rituals to an actual caster if you can, but it isn't too bad.

>>53361799
I assume he meant spells known, not spell slots.
>>
>>53361701
Darkness doesn't really do much to your allies. It cancels out disadvantage and advantage and it makes it hard to do 'you must have line of sight to target' but otherwise it really doesn't affect allies at all.
>>
>>53361742
>Maximizing melee damage
Go variant human, get PAM. Increase strength on ASIs.
Use a halberd and GWF fighting style.
Go oathbreaker.
>>
>>53361833
DM is still assembling the party and helping newbies make their first characters, but IIRC, so far we've got a NE Druid and NE Rogue.

I'm not going to lie; the Wizard's Alarm spell is a big motivator for me at the moment.
>>
>>53361701
>>53361875
I was considering taking Faerie Fire so allies could see the enemies in Darkness anyways, however not only am I not sure if that works but it's not like I can have double-advantage from them being outlined in Darkness.
>>
>>53361940
Yeah. In fact, faerie fire is even less useful in darkness because darkness turns advantage and disadvantage into nothing for normal players/opponents.
>>
>>53360123
Quick to act is a little underwhelming, though I guess the archetype is quite tightly packed right now. I don't understand why they need Sense Magic but I assume it's ported over from the original swordsage which I haven't read. The wording of Weapon Focus is weird, the first sentence should be changed to not mention proficiency and expertise if it's not interacting with those mechanics.
Alright let's get into the techniques...
>burning blade
It's a damage boost that costs a measly pittance of Ki and lasts for an entire fight. Though I guess it's not much stronger than Hunter's Mark or something, but having the damage increase like it does seems a bit on the strong side. Maybe have it cost 2 ki and just add the monk's Martial Arts die in fire damage?
Spider Dance seems redundant since monks can already run up walls.
I don't see why Riposte has a 5th level requirement. I also don't see why it has a damage boost on it, that seems unnecessary.
I'm starting to see what the format is. You should specify in the Weapon Techniques feature that you have to take techniques with a matching level requirement to the level you take them at, otherwise a player might do something dumb like stack all of the damage boosts and waste all their Ki trying to do 4d8 damage on a single attack.
Giant's Size seems too strong compared to Bonecrusher and Sonic Boom.
Iron Bones looks too strong, physical damage resistance is a big deal and this Monk is getting it refreshing on a short rest for very little resources with no way for the enemy to counter it. Might want to bump the Ki cost up to 8, or bump it to 6 and have it take concentration to maintain, or leave the cost as is and reduce the duration to only last for a round.
Shadow Noose doesn't specify taking any actions.
Blade Flurry is too strong lol.
Everything after that is too crazy for archetype features.

This whole thing is just "more damage" with barely anything interesting. Is this what 3.5 design looked like?
>>
>>53361940
>>53361958
Oh, also, darkness dispells light created by spells of 2 or less.
>>
>>53361902
Sounds pretty solid, I don't think my dm will go for OB though, what's a good second option?
>>
>>53361436
>probably

The correct response to dandwiki is NO 100% of the time
>>
>>53362030
Vengeance or treachery. Though I'm not a fan of UAs. Both can potentailly give you advantage and haste and such.
After that is devotion which can give you a +CHA to hit if you take an action.

So I'd say either devotion or vengeance, but the difference between the paladin oaths in terms of damage is minimal (except oathbreaker which makes you the most powerful DPR in the game)
>>
>>53362030
Go Vengeance and get Tunnel Fighter for your fighting style.
>>
>>53359126
>Teach Bahamut to fish, and you can invade the mainland before he notices.
Or you could just hire some hooligans to put him in a coma.
>>
>>53359423
Two-tined metal-hafted Slith Spears when?
>>
>>53359971
>Why are paladins the only class that gets Find Steed?
There's also Phantom Steed. It's a ritual.
>>
>>53361961
>This whole thing is just "more damage" with barely anything interesting. Is this what 3.5 design looked like?
Yeah, pretty much.

I haven't actually read this homebrew or the original sword sage.
>>
>>53361961
>This whole thing is just "more damage" with barely anything interesting. Is this what 3.5 design looked like?

Welcome to 3.5 design. The class itself revolved around using various schools of blade magic and entering stances to do their cool stuff, but most of it was either damage or some debuff (movement reduced to 0, cut their AC by a few points, etc.)
>>
>>53362381
Oh, also: if the author wanted to do a more faithful port he'd have to re-imagine and balance out something like over 50 techniques for the class, at which point it might as well be an entire class with the archetypes being the specific school of blade magic.
>>
>>53359971
Paladin is the most "KNIGHT" of all the classes, so they get a reliable source of amazing steeds.

It is an awesome spell but I've never seen mounted combat really be a big deal. So in the end it just becomes a pretty awesome ribbon/ thematic power for a Paladin.

Do kinda want to make some sort of Halfling Paladin who dual wields lances and rides a frog or something though
>>
>>53362079
>Most dpr in the game
Holy shit, how?
Are they made to be used as antagonists?
>>
>>53362442
They get +CHA to every hit. And improvised divine smite.

At level 11, that's +CHA+IDS to every hit along with +STR along with making up to four attacks in a round, usually three, along with also being able to smite.
>>
How would I go about making a homebrew flying race not be ridiculously OP compared to normal races? I figured I'd not allow flying in armor or when the character has more than a certain weight of equipment on them and maybe put a time limit on flight time.
Is this enough or should I just scrap it altogether?
>>
>>53362486
>homebrew
It's time to slow down, take a deep breath and stop.
>>
>>53362486
Do it like eagle barbarian.
>>
>>53362503
Figured as much, but I wanted to ask on the off-chance someone here managed to make it work.
>>
>>53362486
there is already like three or four official options for races with flight capabilities

I would just take one of them and tweak them fluff-wise to fit your desire
>>
>go to r/dnd

Holy shit I think that I hate reddit even more than I did before, such a shitshow
>>
Might be a dumb question but does the "You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it" clause of sneak attack work with ranged weapons? If my ally is next to the baddie and I'm 30 ft away does it still work?
>>
>>53362527
>there is already like three or four official options for races with flight capabilities
Coincidentally, they are all banned at Adventurer's League, and also at 90% of tables.
>>
>>53362486
Is there a reason you can't use aarakocra (however it's spelled)? Perhaps with a reskin?

They can be sorta OP depending on the campaign but they're not the worst.
>>
>>53362551
Please, elaborate.
>>
>>53362551
/r/dndnext is SLIGHTLY better, but it's still populated by redditors.
>>
>>53362578
Half of the posts are low quality art, full of SJWs, full of generic most cliche advice ever gets upvoted... WoTC dick sucking.
>>
>>53362486
>I figured I'd not allow flying in armor or when the character has more than a certain weight of equipment on them and maybe put a time limit on flight time.
if you don't want to use/tweak an existing race, these sound like reasonable nerfs. if it still seems too OP, maybe add something that accounts for the fact that a flying race would likely have hollow, fragile bones. maybe a penalty to max HP or constitution or something. could also look into other birdlike or batlike limitations.
>>
File: reddit.png (105KB, 815x731px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.png
105KB, 815x731px
>>53362578
>>
Been a first DM today
>shitty linear dungeon
>terrible plot twist
>forget some calculations sometimes
>boss is a heavily toned down supermonster actually
>everyone has fun anyways and thanks me

A-as long as everyone has fun, r-right?
>>
>>53362486
Long-term flight is available from uncommon magic items and flying mounts. It can be obtained from treasure hoards before level 5, I think.

So it really depends on what kind of campaign it is, in which case balance it by weakening the flying, or just not including the race.
>>
>>53362686
first time DM*
>>
>>53362648
Not gonna lie, the third one is goddamn adorable.
>>
>>53362483
Damn, how do they get 4 attacks? PAM?
Might put one of these guys in a future campaign as the big baddie
>>
>>53362686
>A-as long as everyone has fun, r-right?

Pretty much, you should still try to get better tho
>>
>tfw there are no good throwable weapons
I just want to throw tridents and shit without it being utterly worthless.
>>
>>53362723
It's 3.something since PAM doesn't gaurantee a reaction attack, but generally it'll average to 3.33 or maybe 3.4 or so. Maybe 3.5. Kinda depends.

You can also go quarterstaff+shield and obtain shillelagh along with the duelling fighting style for charisma-only-dependence with PAM, meaning you can do 1d8+CHA+CHA+2+1d8 damage while wearing a shield, though the reaction attack is slightly harder to get.

They'd still suck as a baddie unless you give them appropriate undead/fiend minions and some support, because their health is still on player levels which can be one-shotted.
>>
>>53362723
assuming level 5+, you'll have two attacks with your glaive as your action, and one bonus action attack with the pommel of your glaive from PAM

PAM also lets you use your reaction when an enemy enters your melee range, which is 10ft with a glaive. This is only once per round, and isn't guaranteed, but it will happen enough to spike your damage up a good deal.

If you're PAM GWM Oathbreaker, you could be reasonably doing a guaranteed minimum of about 17-20 damage per hit.

And then we begin to factor in damage from Improved Divine Smite, and smiting, and shit gets weird.
>>
>>53362648
>daughter making a new monster manual
I'm honestly kind of curious now.
>>
Has anyone tried a deep stalker ranger or monster hunter fighter? How are they? I'm thinking of trying to build a Witcher-esque character, even though it's probably overdone by now
>>
File: irnqujuvypyy[1].jpg (709KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
irnqujuvypyy[1].jpg
709KB, 2448x3264px
>>53362770
>>
>>53362761
Christ that's fucked. With PAM in the game do people even use other two handed weapons? I've always like the idea of pallys using mauls to smite evil
>>
>>53361514
>>53361585
No? No one? All right.

>>53362794
Aaaaaah I'm definitely going to kidnap her and raise her as my own now.
>>
>>53362770
>>53362721
Don't be naive. He made it himself for internet points. They do it all the time on reddit, and I mean literally all the time.
They also often write specifically "My daughter made..." and "My girlfriend made...", because it draws people attention more, which means more internet points.
>>
>>53362810
Yeah, that's not fucking creepy, you weirdo.
>>
Need some story recommendations, inspiration:

>My party: 4 lvls 3 (almost lvl 4, they are missing 150 xp)
>they want to retrieve an old dwarven treasure that was exchanged 30 years ago for prisoners from the drow (dwarves gave away old gem in exchange for prisoners)
>the leader of the band of drows is a cruel outlaw known as an excellent bowman
>my players are already descending into the underground to find him and get the treasure back

Any recommendations? Cool ideas? things to read as inspiration?
>>
>>53359971
I'd say open up Find Steed to others. Also allow the steed to be an Aberration or Construct as well. (The latter would be a fun option for Artificers)
>>
>>53362846
The outlaw is actually drow equivalent of Robin Hood, fighting against the establishment with guerilla tactics. However, he's still a madman by surfacer standards.
>>
>>53362822
Where do you think we are? That's tame to be honest
>>
>>53362888
>Where do you think we are
Not on /r9k/.
>>
>>53362883
Well I'll need an excuse for him cutting the hands of prisoners when the dwarfs refused to pay at first
>>
>>53362888
Where do you think you are, /b/?
>>
>>53361276
>dandwiki

Don't. You'll be sorry for any shit you allow from there, because it's just that, shit. Furthermore, your players will feel validated in bringing other (worse) homebrew to the table. Put your foot down.
>>
>>53362807
PAM is the best option for a Paladin because it gives you access to extra attacks (where you normally would only have 2), which means more chances to hit/crit/smite/critsmite

A paladin could use a two handed non-polearm like a Maul, but it just wouldn't be as good. You're trading one guaranteed extra attack and one possible extra attack a round for +2 possible damage per hit. This is even worse on Oathbreaker due to the +CHA on all attacks.

There isn't even much of an argument to be made for solo GWM, as GWM can be used with PAM if you use a glaive/halberd. It's just very Feat-heavy and can't be done until Level 4 if V.Human, or level 8 if not VHuman
>>
>>53362822
If you have a better idea to ensure I get to raise an adorable child I'd like to hear it.
>>
>>53362901
Don't forget a colourful band of Merry Men.
>>
>>53362567
yes
>>
>>53362925
Well damn, when you break it down like that there's really no reason not to. How does wielding 2h weapons work with casting, is it a free action to take a hand off the weapon and cast?
>>
>>53362999
If I were DM I'd say you could do that with versatile weapons, if only to finally give versatile weapons a purpose.
>>
>>53359966
do just that. Zhents arent happy, try to kill em. Follow up with confused Orcs arriving as they are fleeing elves, have elves send players to caves, run adventure as is. Make sure the townies are PISSED though.
>>
>>53362807
>>53362925
GWM doesn't work on paladins well because -5 to hit is bad when you deal a load of extra damage already.

Say an attack did 10 damage and another did 50 damage. -5 +10 on the 10 damage attack might be fine since it doubles your damage for maybe 50% hit chance, but on 50 damage it's 20% more damage for only maybe half the hit chance, so you start losing damage.

Paladins get +1d8 at level 11 which thus makes GWM less worth it, and paladins don't get a lot of ASIs while needing strength, charisma and other things. And if they get PAM they don't need the bonus action attack as much.
GWM+PAM works fine fighters, it's good but not as good on barbarians and on paladins.. It's almost as good as on fighter before level 11, after which it's worse.

>>53362999
No penalties. You just take your hand off briefly to cast. You don't have any problems holding a weapon in one hand and switching how many hands you're holding a weapon in takes no actions.
>>
>>53363058
Scratch that, make sure a few NPCs try to outright kill their saviours. They just burned down their livelihood.
In medieval times, horse theft was punished by hanging, because with no horse, you can't plow fields anymore. That means you likely starve to death.
But the villagers lost more than that - they lost everything, down to the roofs above their heads. Where are they going to live, come winter?
>>
>>53363155
Oh, I totally forgot there were people in there too. All the more reasons for hatred.
In fact, it's a golden opportunity for you to insert a villain of your own much later - one of the people who lost his loved ones came for revenge. He doesn't have to be that much of a threat - just make it clear that their actions had consequences on people's lives.
>>
Ok, I want to do some shenanigans to my players involving a succubus and an NPC ex-lover of one of the characters. Which of the two ideas sounds best?

>lover NPC is kidnapped by succubus
>succubus impersonates lover and ambushes PC
>makes a grand "revelation" that she was a succubus all along
>succubus then escapes from the fight and arranges for the lover to be "captured" and sent to the PC, hoping he kills his lover

Or

>lover NPC was indeed a succubus all along
>she ambushes the PC, making it seem as if she just impersonated his lover
>if she fails to kill him and escapes, she arranges to be found all tied up with the lover's appearance
>>
File: Elder_Evils.jpg (35KB, 200x278px) Image search: [Google]
Elder_Evils.jpg
35KB, 200x278px
Is there a 5e conversion for this? Should I make one?
>>
>>53363399
Not yet, but...

Volo's Guide to Monsters did something rather interesting by including stats for Spawn of Kyuss. This can be explained in one of two ways:

First, all the writers got to pick a monster to include in Volos and there was a session of vetos to determine what did and didn't fit. Spawn got picked and nobody thought they were out of place.

Second, same as above BUT there's plans for some Elder Evil-tier shit in the next project.
>>
So wait, new player here

Does a paladin know literally every spell on their spell list?
>>
>>53363456
Yes
But they can only prepare a certain number of them each day
>>
>>53363456
Yeah. Read chapter 10 again.
>>
>>53363473
>>53363477
sweet jesus I'm gonna need to copy down a lotta fucking spells on to my Roll20 list
>>
>>53363488
Pro tip: You've never going to use most of them. Almost all spell slots go towards Smites.

Just regular smites, not even the weird spell smites.
>>
>>53363225
I think the dwarf tavern owner might be good. Or that "totally not a warlock" Teifling midwife and her kid. Make the Nightstonians relevant
>>
>>53363488
It's only 45 spells last I checked. Clerics and Druids are almost 100 I think
>>
>>53363452
So I shouldn't do my own then? I mean I wasn't going to pick Worm that Walks anyway. But maybe Llymic or Zoretha, or maybe even Pandorym (might hold off on that one til there are some psionics rules).
>>
>>53363516
What did he mean by this?
>>
Wish Wizards included some more clerical domains.
>>
>>53363581
Clerics currently have twelve archetypes. Twelve. I think you've got enough for now.
>>
File: hanzo_hattori.png (180KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
hanzo_hattori.png
180KB, 800x450px
Is there a non-weeb way to play a samurai or ninja?
>>
>>53363614
There could at least be evil, good, law and chaos domains.
>>
>>53363488
>>53363530
And some of them are pretty situational. I can't imagine needing a template for Geas or Zone of Truth.

Plus you get them gradually. You get 15 at 2nd level, 8 at 5th level, 10 at 9th level, 6 at 13th level, and 6 at 17th level.

>>53363510
You sound like you're playing a paladin pretty boringly.
>>
>>53363574
Up to you, just letting you know what's going on.

IT could be nothing, or it could be a WtW-related thing in the pipes.
>>
>>53363625
Just pick Fighter (Samurai) and name yourself Hanzo "Hanzo" Hattori 'The Light Rail Avenger'
>>
>>53359971
Remember anon, lances aren't heavy.
>>
File: 4564465.gif (2MB, 624x335px) Image search: [Google]
4564465.gif
2MB, 624x335px
>>53363651
>implying you wouldn't play him for a modern campaign
>>
File: Knight - Blue Mace.jpg (494KB, 886x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Knight - Blue Mace.jpg
494KB, 886x1440px
>>53363631
>You sound like you're playing a paladin pretty boringly.
I'm running a dungeoncrawl-oriented game, and not a storygame. I can list the different spells the party paladin has cast on one hand.

>Detect Magic
>Find Steed
>Lesser Restoration

If you're playing a game where the Paladin is the only spellcaster then maybe the rest would see use, but for the most part they just aren't a core part of the Paladin's playstyle.
>>
>>53363530
Still a lot of first-level ones.
>>53363510
>>53363631
Should I just only add the ones I find likely to be relevant then?
>>
>>53363681
RIP
>>
File: Dankinus.png (190KB, 576x832px) Image search: [Google]
Dankinus.png
190KB, 576x832px
>>53359031
>Party of Level 3's just ran into a PC from a previous campaign
>Talking with Bahamut in human form
>Murders someone on the street on a whim right in front of The Dragon God
>Only seasoned player knows who he was and was sweating the whole time
Sometimes it's fun to see my players squirm. But funny coincidence with that OP pic.
>>
>>53363704
I'd add them all, although having never used R20 I'm not exactly sure what the context of "add" is here. Either way, just don't ignore your spell list. I get kinda frustrated with my party's Paladin because he hardly ever changes his spells but complains that his character doesn't get to do anything cool except smite stuff. We just keep telling him it's his own fault.
>>
>>53363704
Maybe just add the ones you find yourself using two or more times per session.
>>
>>53362846
They're met and guided by a benevolant Flumph.

They find a small town/community of Myconids who need some sidequests done and could also help the party against the Drow

They find an abandoned Metropolis on the edge of a large underground mostly barren except for a large presence of Kuo-toa, who are so lost in their madness they can't even recognize that the PCs aren't also Kuo-toa
>>
>>53363581
I'd dig a god of the hunt domain that's a mix of nature and war with some ranger thrown in.
>>
>>53363626
Death fits what Evil Clerics did pretty well.

Good could easily be Protection, Life or Grave.

Law and Chaos I'd both like to see, maybe called something else though because this edition's trying to move as far away from mechanical Alignment effects as it can.
>>
>>53363827
Wouldn't that just be either a War Cleric multiclassed Ranger? I fits both thematically and mechanically.
>>
How do I play a vengeance paladin without being an edgelord?
>>
>>53363882
Don't be an edgelord. Nothing about the oath forces you to. Part of the sample tenets is that you must fight the GREATER evils, and not necessarily exterminate everything indiscriminately. You must also make up for any damage you cause in negligence.
>>
>>53361917
Roll with magic initiate then senpai, and good luck.
>>
>>53363882
By actually following the tenets of your domain without torturously trying to justify exceptionally non-GOOD actions to fit them.

Help those harmed by the misdeeds of evil, because your absence has failed to prevent them
At times, show mercy to foes unworthy of your divine ire, who may yet be redeemed.
Do not ignore the lesser evils of the world, but accept that there are Greater Evils which demand your attention.
Strike at foes which demand justice without hesitation or relent, but do not become a monster yourself in doing so. Show restraint, but not hesitation or weakness.
>>
Is it inappropriate to try and start a relationship with NPC's? There's a Tiefling Merchant I'm getting along with really well.
>>
>>53363988
>domain
Oath. I meant oath. My bad.
>>
>>53363997
Depends on the group and how far you want to take it. Also if she wants to take it at all
>>
>>53363997
Depends on the other players, some groups might not mind you spending a bunch of time with npc's while others might. If you're with the latter group maybe talk to your dm about it so the two of you get to do some lewd roleplay
>>
>>53363997
Try it out, what could possibly go wrong?

>>53363971
ritual caster I mean, fuck
>>
>>53363997
What kind of relationship? I doubt anyone will mind if your character becomes a merchant's buddy, and it can even lead to plot hooks, discounts etc. but if you mean a romantic relationship, a lot of DMs will asspull something just so they don't have rp your girlfriend
>>
>>53363997
Keep in mind that you will be flirting with your DM
>>
>invent a wife because everyone always seems to be familyless
>DM kills wife
I guess now I know why everyone is always familyless
>>
>>53364021
>>53364036
Group's all new except me and the DM, don't want to make anything too weird for new players.

>>53364027
>>53364043
I don't want anything lewd, I'm not even straight but the merchant's a female. It just kinda makes sense after some things I did for her and the way my PC acts.

>>53364048
Text only games are great.
>>
>>53364059
Revive her ASAP.
>>
>>53364063
>don't want to make anything too weird
Advance the relationship to the point she can be a trustworthy and useful acquaintance to the party, but no further. What is your character like?
>>
File: 1450694763116.jpg (17KB, 397x262px) Image search: [Google]
1450694763116.jpg
17KB, 397x262px
Are there any chance of getting Mike Schely's maps for Scourge of the Sword Coast and Reavers of Harkenvold added to the Mega?
>>
>>53364063
Just make it friendly and suddenly you've got a fairly wealthy merchant as a friend, which could be a powerful thing to have
>>
Has anyone heard of the Epic Legacy materials from 2CG? I've heard they're good but don't have the E bux to purchase right now. Anyone have a PDF?
>>
>>53364063
The thing is you barely need to RP at all, just say you're sweet on the merchant and want to show interest, ask her to a fair or something. The DM just has to say if she's up to it and if it goes well, can throw in a random encounter in the middle if he likes, but he doesn't have to make a girl's voice and ERP with you.
>>
>>53364059
>>53364072
This is now your quest. Everything else is out the window, you're going to bring her back no matter what.
The DM wanted backstory interaction, he's got backstory interaction.
>>
>>53363632
alright thx man
>>
>>53364075
Enchanter who's ex-army. Ran away from home after he got out because he has issues being in his homeland after seeing some of the things his country did.

He's just generally confident and lots of banter. It was mostly jokey stuff between him and the merchant but then she said something about giving me a date if we survived this dungeon. We did and ended the session and I'm thinking of bringing it up next session.

Long term my character's looking to settle down and just be a Wizard. Right now though he's traveling around hunting cultists and Drow.

>>53364089
>Wealthy
Yeah, no.

>>53364110
My DM's a lesbian though.
>>
>>53364129
Conclusion: your group is too LGBT

>le obligatory go back to bumblr meme

Are you a gay male or gay female? Personally female DMs are redflags, lesbians even more if there primary personality trait is "i'm gay"
I'd say just don't do it. Kind of derailing.
>>
>>53364059
>want to have a family
>don't want them to get killed for cheap drama
>put them halfway across the world in a peaceful kingdom
They've been safe so far
>>
>>53363743
Add spell and type down everything the thing does.
>>53363756
Good to know. Still, shit. This is gonna be a hassle. I didn't even deal with this many spells when I was a full caster
>>
>>53364129
Go for it then, it doesn't have to be actually role played out and frankly I'm sure the rest of the party would rather not have that happen. If you're in the same town as her and you're waiting for something, just say you're looking for that merchant to spend some time with her instead of waiting around in a tavern or something

It can't hurt unless the DM decides she's evil, and it could give you a place where your character could have his long term goal completed
>>
>>53363698
>dungeoncrawling game

I know there's no wrongfun but come on dude.
>>
>>53364088
>reavers of harkenvold
wasn't that a 4e campaign?
Has there been a conversion?
>>
>>53364129
I mean, you seem to already seem to want to do it, and it could be well done, but romance between PC and NPC is always awkward unless you're very close friends with the DM and the idea of a gay man and a lesbian rping a heterosexual romance in detail already makes me want to shift my collar in discomfort. Would everyone at the table be cool with it?
>>
>>53364197
Dungeon crawling is literally what D&D was made for. The only problem is that there are editions better suited for it imo
>>
>>53364169
I'm a gay bloke, there's 2 straight males, a straight female and the DM's a gay chick. We all know each other pretty well.

Honestly I've always been in the boat that Females generally aren't great at D&D but this group's surprised me. The DM's fantastic and allows improvising actions a lot while also knowing all the rules. The female player's really good and fun. One of the guys is playing a LG Paladin the way they should be.

The last player sucks but he's just an edgelord WoW player.
>>
>>53364197
>>53364218

5e is great for dungeon crawling. most groups don't include nearly enough encounters to make most of the class features relevant
>>
>>53364221
If you romance this merchant, I'd put the odds as fairly high that mr edgelord will kill her.
>>
>>53364193
Yeah, that's about how I thought it should be done. Only actual RP if there's a reason for it.

>>53364206
I have a feeling most of them would be cool. Maybe the Edgelord wouldn't like it but he spends every social encounter "Polishing his sword with his hood up".

>>53364246
We've had issues with him and PvP before, also killing a man I'm interrogating. The DM's finally told me next time he does something that I'd have reason to be murderous about, I can give him a warning and follow it through.

I hope it doesn't come to that but if it does, well he's a Greatsword EK with Magic Missile and Earth Tremor as his spells and 14 Strength. Also an abysmal Wisdom Score.

Just need one Dominate Humanoid, Suggestion or Hold Person to hit.
>>
File: 1433026181708.png (140KB, 1077x964px) Image search: [Google]
1433026181708.png
140KB, 1077x964px
>>53364169
>Personally female DMs are redflags, lesbians even more if there [sic] primary personality trait is "i'm gay"
>>
>>53364221
Glad you've had a positive experience! I'll set aside my preconceived notions.

If she's good at this, then make it very non serious and like play out the romance as a lengthy joke. She'll probably die soon anyways.
>>
>>53364294
not samefag but how is that bait
>>
>>53364221
Every bad player I've ever met has been a guy. Frankly, every below-average player I've ever met has been a guy. And it's rare to find one who can actually roleplay.
>>
>>53364234
It depends on what you want to run, perhaps. Older editions arguably reward players more for being clever and avoiding conflict, but I can see how 5e would be appealing if you want things a bit more action packed or gonzo
>>
So you guys say that critfails are bad. I'm an new player and started in April. Should I wait to tell my DM that I disagree with the rule until I'm a more experienced player? What do?
>>
>>53364334
Girls i've played with have always played the same trope of "i look weak but i'm inCREEEDIBLY powerful." Varying levels of roleplaying skill but always the same. Most didn't know mechanics well either but usually wasn't an issue.
>>
>>53364350
Different things work in different campaigns. Odds are good the people complaining have had a bad experience with critfails just leading to stupid nonsense (possibly more than one experience), so they make a not-entirely-unjustified blanket statement. Personally I say you should try it out and see how you feel about them before you say anything.
>>
>>53364350
Do what your DM says, don't be a cuck
Especially if you're a new player, unless he's being super unreasonable.
>>
>>53359386
So a pike?
>>
>>53364350
Do it as soon as possible, but try to be polite and reasonable. The best argument against crit fails is this.
>So, at level 20, fighters are pretty much as strong as it gets in DnD, right?
>They get four attacks. But they can roll a natural one on each of them.
>In fact, they are four times as likely go injure themselves or drop their sword, as a complete amateur!
>What kind of an expert fighter is that?
>>
Literally what is the point of optimizing your character like you're playing League of Legends?
>>
>>53364398
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>53364398
I'm going beyond that, anon. My next char's gonna be not!Vayne.
>>
>>53364339

>I can see how 5e would be appealing if you want things a bit more action packed or gonzo

5e is appealing because it's so simple. Doing multiple small skirmishes consecutively is what it does best. Arguable whether or not its the best for dungeon crawling. The best way I've found to run 5e adventures is to use the organization lists from 3.5 monster statblocks and arrange dozens of encounters around a large dungeon and let the players decide where to go.
>>
>>53364398
To fuck with a bad party/DM before you quit.

To stay alive if a campaign is very hardcore.

To stay competitive in a group of powergamers.

and many more.
>>
>>53364420
I speak downer, allow me to translate:

What purpose does high technicality mechanical optimization towards combat effectiveness fulfill for those in this thread who partake in and advocate for such activity?

He then proceeded to comparesuch activity to engaging in a shit-tier online game with a cancerous community, which is notable for its likewise mechanical-optimization oriented mentality.
>>
>>53364350
Nat 1's are just misses in combat
Nat 20's are crits in combat, and if the players want it described I just come up with some more gruesome description. Out of combat 1 doesn't necessarily mean failure, 20 doesn't necessarily mean success.

I'm so tired of all the "Oh you rolled a 20 on your attempt to throw a rock at a dragon? The rock pushes it back, it knocks over a mountain and you kill it!" That so many shitty GM's use because they want to make "epic" stories for upvotes on reddit
>>
>>53364355
I've encountered I think three male players who didn't play cardboard cut-outs or effective self-inserts, out of at least twenty with whom I've played or for whom I've DMed. They're the ones who are rules lawyers and powergamers who bitch and moan when you fudge a roll or expect them to do more than say "I roll Persuasion" and get upset that "you're not doing it right" because they didn't get the magic item they wanted or when dungeon crawling doesn't mean "fight these guys. Okay, now fight these guys."

Frankly I've hit the point where I'm hesitant to let them in my games. They're not banned, obviously, but I tend to be skeptical.
>>
>>53364471
Personally I think in the right place at the right time, le EBIC crits for unreasonable success can be extremely entertaining, even if its not me scoring them.
>>
>>53364479
It honestly sounds like you're over-exaggerating
>>
>>53363058
>>53363155
>>53363221
I've taken down some good notes, thanks
>>
>>53364479
Anita can you stay on your containment board?

anyways I'm taking the bait.
>MOST BAD PLAYERS ARE MEN
that's because men are literally 95% of the community.
There are just good players and bad players of both sexes. Personally I've had a great time with girls but I see a lot of other people who've had issues with them in their games. Go figure
>>
anyone know what feral tieflings look like?
>>
>>53364488
Obviously it depends on the campaign, but I dislike people who think a nat20 means a success regardless of the situation. But that's because I had a friend who kept trying to do stupid shit like convince the king his character was the actual king. Eventually he got the message that there are certain things that are just impossible to do for certain characters. An 8 int barbarian won't be figuring out a DC25 arcana check because he has no clue what he's looking for, but he'll also get to a point where there's certain things he won't fail at, DC10 checks for his trained skill
>>
File: 1450096813512.png (102KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
1450096813512.png
102KB, 500x442px
In combat if a player rolls a Crit they get bonus damage and if they describe in detail what they do they might get normal damage with a bonus effect (cutting off one of a Basiliks 6 legs, limiting move-speed for example). For Crit fails that involve range they miss and sometimes hit their allies, or some other negative effects (I had a player leap from a tree earlier today and crit fail a roll, so he ended up landing on an ally adjacent to his intended target and they took no damage, but both were knocked prone).

For enemies I generally give the standard bonuses for crit rolls and crit fails, but I do it in a "Serve enemy/Serve allies" kind of way. Last week the PCs fought a Hobgob and a Duregar, and the Hobgob crit failed on one of his three attacks, so the two previous that hit damage the players, but the crit fail was used to turn on the Duregar and make a weapon attack against him.

Is this an example of bad DMing? I try to avoid non-combat Crit exaggeration. I have a player who's never played before that likes to announce "I make an X check!" without describing why, how, or what he intends, so if he ever Crits I can still shoot him down.
>>
>>53364543
Essentially humans with 1d4+1 minor cosmetic fiendish mutations.
>>
>>53364572
Are your players enjoying this rule? That's the only thing that matters, not what some people you'll never meet think.
>>
>>53364553
I agree with you, especially in that it depends on the situation. But i think the natural twenty by the bard with a greatsword but with 0 strength decapitating the dragon can be good sometimes.
>>
How do I build a soon to be lich necromancer? Wizard all the way? Can I be neutral and still want to become a lich?
>>
>>53364617
Becoming a lich involves an "act of unspeakable evil". So, take a guess. Say what you will about vampires, but at least becoming one is usually as simple as getting bitten, and they are only marginally easier to kill.
>>
>>53364617
That's a question better directed to your DM than an anonymous taiwanese puppet drama image board on the internet.
>>
>>53364617
I'd say yes, because death domain cleric is kind of trash at the moment.

Also yes on the neutral part, you can have motivations for wanting the power that aren't evil
>>
>>53364602
I'm pretty new myself and this is my first time DMing so I'd thought I'd just send it out there. But I've gotten nothing but positive feedback for encounters so it's pretty effective. I like to describe combat in detail from enemy reactions to where players get slashed or shot to keep in engaging.
>>
>>53364506
These are all things that have happened in my groups. But in the interest of transparency, here are the things I listed which have only happened once (apiece):
>bitch and moan when you fudge a roll
>get upset that "you're not doing it right" because they didn't get the magic item they wanted

>>53364516
>men are literally 95% of the community
Isn't it, like, 55-45? Maybe 60-40? About 85% of the male players have been marginal-to-bad (assuming my ~20 figure is correct; I'm not gonna go through and make a list or anything). But I do know I've played with or DMed for slightly more female players than male, and I've yet to have one give me any kind of trouble. Literally the worst I've seen is "first time running a game and some of the things she tried didn't work so she took them out".
>>
>>53364648
>But I've gotten nothing but positive feedback for encounters so it's pretty effective
Then keep at it, every dm is different and every group is different, if your group likes your dming you're good
>>
>>53364648
That's good. Make sure your players know you are open to criticism however because I've had experience with players who were too scared to tell the DM they weren't enjoying something.
>>
File: Becoming a lich.png (580KB, 479x824px) Image search: [Google]
Becoming a lich.png
580KB, 479x824px
>>53364637
>>53364617
Oh wait, they actually expanded upon it in 5e. Here's what Monster Manual says about becoming/being a lich.
>>
>>53364659
You live and exist in the minority of this community, and not a corner of it that I want to be apart of. I have a weird feeling these negative experiences are hyperbole or are connected to your obvious misandry.
>>
>>53364572
Attack crit fails that do stuff can work in certain systems and with some tweaking they can work in 5e. They do make Barbarians, Rogues, Halflings and Spellcasters much better and Fighters, Hunters and Monks much worse though.

Skil; fails suck for everyone. When using a skill you either pass or fail, if you fail there should be something negative going to happen or there's no reason to bother with a check

If the Rogue's picking an easy lock out of combat, no roll needed because it's his bread and butter and he can do it all day long. If he's picking one in combat then you make him do a check, if he fails he wasted an action so he doesn't need a penalty for rolling 1 as well.

Against higher dificulty tasks like picking "The lock of all locks" if he fails then that's it for now. He's used everything he knows and couldn't open it. So the failure effectivally stops him progressing that way, he doesn't need to be punished further.
>>
>>53364637
Aren't Baelnorns non-evil liches?
>>
>>53360280
Yeah this is insufferable.
Basically anyone interrupting me when I'm describing anything is a pretty big pet peeve.

Shouting "I cast x!" or "I do x!" while I'm in the middle of describing something is a good way to get on my bad side.
If you wait until I'm done and then say "so when you said they moved towards us in a hostile manner, would I have had enough time to quickly cast X or do X before weapons were drawn?"
I'm okay with that question.
>>
>>53364646
>because death domain cleric is kind of trash at the moment.
Not really? It should've been a caster Cleric with Potent Casting but other then that it's fine.
>>
>>53364711
>>53364659
I suggest one of you fucks off to /pol/, while the other fucks off back to tumblr.
>>
>>53364659
While it's obviously impossible to tell exact statistics, I think it's safe to say it's closer to 70/30 or 80/20, and frankly that's being generous

It's like if you look at video game statistics that don't include facebook/candy crush stuff, it's almost entirely men. I assume tabletop games are similar, maybe even more towards men than video games
>>
>>53364715
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I tend to expect combat to just be PCs and enemies beating the shit out of one another until some side wins, but maybe I'll structure some encounters with a little more variety and options rather than just ways to kill stuff.
>>
>>53364753
i'm not a /pol/ite i'm just not sexist. :) I've had very good experiences with girls in my games, personally.
>>
>>53362483
Frenzy Barb with PAM and GWM outdamages Oathbreaker significantly. Also, as I recall chartanon assumes 1 combat round. A more accurate DPR study would look at performance over 6-8 encounters with two short rests. This gives it to fighters, who would get three action surges per day.
>>
File: 1464547484232.jpg (149KB, 1161x670px) Image search: [Google]
1464547484232.jpg
149KB, 1161x670px
>>53364791
>Frenzy Barb
>>
>>53362220
That spell is terrible for a mounted combat build. The Steed disappears if it takes any damage.
>>
>>53364787
I think you're the one who was being directed to tumblr, friendo. Unless that :) was supposed to be a :^)
>>
>>53364771
>I tend to expect combat to just be PCs and enemies beating the shit out of one another until some side wins, but maybe I'll structure some encounters with a little more variety and options rather than just ways to kill stuff.
Fuck yes do that, trust me at first players won't mind much about playing XCOM the tabletop but eventually combat will become complete shit. Make sure there's always something, anything interesting in the room.

Bonfires, Chandeliers, Fireplaces, Pits, Loose Floor, Bridges, Magical artifacts. Most encounter should have 1 environmental object that can do something interesting. Also make sure enemies use the same tactics against the players.
>>
File: Nilobg-5e.jpg (197KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Nilobg-5e.jpg
197KB, 1200x1650px
>Level 4 players go to a Magic Item Shop
>Just opened, low level stuff like potions, bags of holding, nothing above 500 gp
>Threw in a Belt of Hill Giant Strength that's a fuckload of gold but listed as a rare item to show they're a pretty legit startup shop
>Level 4 Artificer really really really wants that belt so he becomes stronger than the party's 20 STR Ranger
How should I proceed? I already plan on not giving it too him until he's level 6 and only have him do various tasks and quests for the owners in order to "Earn" the purchase of the belt (and accumulate enough gold since it's totally out of a Level 4 Characters price range) but I can't help but think I've kind of fucked myself over in the balancing department.
>>
>>53364711
Admit it. If I'd replied to >>53364169 or >>53364221 pointing out their misogyny, how would you have responded? With a "by George, you're right! I shall renew my vigilance to call out this devil myself in the future!" or with >go back to tumblr?

Saying "you're critical of men, therefore you must hate them" is just a way of making yourself feel better about not having a response.

I was considering proving I don't hate men, but you wouldn't have cared.
>>
File: 1464526274597.jpg (61KB, 636x511px) Image search: [Google]
1464526274597.jpg
61KB, 636x511px
>>53364826
>Magic Item Shop
You motherfucker.
>>
>>53364826
>level 4
>ranger has 20 str
They already rolled for stats anyway, party balance shouldn't really be a concern at this point.
>>
>>53364771
Quick tip. One way you can immediately spice up combat is just by introducing more interesting terrain.

You could stage an encounter in the middle of the forest against some bandits.
OR
You could place bandits ready to ambush anyone who tries to cross this old rope bridge that has a 100 ft drop beneath it.

In such situations the bad guys don't even need to be that strong, the environment is enough to provide tension and can lead to memorable moments.
Also, vertical elements in general is pretty fun. Players targeting a fort? Place some archers in watch towers is always fun. So many fun ways to deal with them.
Teleport to them, snipe them back, push them off with some spell, etc.

Get creative. Standard encounters are still fine, but I think they should be used to contrast with the crazy fights.
>>
>>53362745
The way to make throwable weapons useful is to put a retractable chain on them. Use them, then pull them back.

Think a throwing dagger. Put a hole in the hilt, put one or two chainlinks in that, then put the rest of the chain with you. Throw it, pull it back as a bonus action. Plus, you can whip it around at shorter distances.
>>
>>53364806
It's level 3 is pretty shit, but it does have fuck huge damage whenever it Frenzies, plus the reaction attack.

I personally prefer Battlerager even though it's burst is slightly less because it can use it's abilities all day.

>>53364828
I will admit I'm misogynistic because you replied to me even though I wasn't arguing here. That's because I personalty have bad experiences relating to females and can't really talk in person with them.

Not trying to justify but I basically don't care even though I know I am at this point.
>>
>>53362432
With find steed it gets crazy. You can make your horse dash using its action and get 120' of movement per turn while still get all of your attacks with a d12 with reach when using a lance. Just run and gun drive by smites with your lance. Gets better with advantage on attack rolls with Mounted Combatant Feat as long as your mount is larger than what you're attacking. Shit seems pretty dope. My only thing is I like small Races and want to use a mastiff so mounted combatant is kinda dead for me. But all the builds seem pretty neat as long as you have your mount, which is what Find Steed does
>>
>>53364812
I'm pretty sure I was being told to fuck off back to /pol/ becuz I was defending muh men
>>53364828
Jesus you are such a hypocrite. First of all, they (mostly just the second guy) weren't being mysogynist. I was considering calling the first guy homophobic but I don't like to start spats and he reacted like a normal human being so.

I could go on refuting but this is getting ridiculous and you're just making yourself look silly.
>>53364826
Have the belt be stolen. If the artificier showed express interest in it, have them accuse the party of taking it. If this is kind of an open world campaign, make a rough storyline of them having to root out the real thieves (who are perhaps considerably stronger) and at the end when they can prove who really did it, have the shopkeeper give them the belt. Maybe by that time they will have accumulated enough levels for it to make sense by then.
>>
>>53364865
You'd fuck up how aerodynamic a dagger is with a chain and wouldn't be able to do any real damage unless he's close. In which case you may as well just stab him. All you really do is give him the ability to pull the chain and drag you in and have the advantage. There's a reason shit like that was never done before: it's retarded.
>>
>>53364852
Not him but if it's a homebrew world there's nothing wrong with having magic item shops.
One of the biggest problems with 5e is that gold is often THE reward you receive but there's fuck all to spend it on unless you want to save for a fort.

If you introduce magic item shops you can control the inventory and also the price. If players buy something you place in the shop you should have an idea of how you will handle them making use of it. If not, then you're just retarded.
>>
Has anyone done a Mounted Combatant Paladin / Moon Druid combo?
>>
>>53364913
This is how things were in 3.5. Magic mart of 3.5 sucked.
>>
>>53364930
Works better with a Cavalier imo, with the Moon Druid around you'll always be mounted to use your abilities.
>>
>>53364826
There are so many ways to deal with this.
>>53364908 Provides one good way.

Another, that could be a bit more dickish would be to have a more experienced and wealthy adventurer stop by and purchase the belt.
Maybe the belt is fake? Dude just displays it so people think he's totally legit and prices it so high he doesn't think anyone is ever actually going to be able to afford it.

I like the first anon's suggestion the best though. Better opportunity and a proper plot hook.
>>
>>53364908
Thanks, I was sort of planning on it being the current MacGuffin since it's early in the campaign and they don't have a whole lot of lore or Major Plot Points to follow with the exception of hearing a prophecy this most recent session.
>>
>>53363677
Yeah but part of what makes the build so nasty is the Advantage on attack rolls vs critters small than your mount and my original plan was to make a goblin rogue on a wolf/mastiff that could just cheese out sneak attack damage since you'd get advantage from mounted combatant.

I think for now i'll just wait to die and roll up a paladin.
>>
>>53364852
>not having a Fantasy Costco Where all your dreams come true.
>>
>>53364966
Tie the prophecy into the band of thieves even, if you'd like. As a player, I always prefer the epic over the mundane, even if it's babysteps.
>>
>>53364908
>First of all, they (mostly just the second guy) weren't being mysogynist [sic]

>Honestly I've always been in the boat that Females generally aren't great at D&D but this group's surprised me.
>Personally female DMs are redflags, lesbians even more if there primary personality trait is "i'm gay"

Y'know how when someone consistently eats too much sugar or HFCS or whatever their ability to taste sweetness diminishes?
>>
>>53364979
Got a deal for you

Why is the Hunger named Jon, with Garfield the Deals Warlock
>>
>>53364979
Fantasy gachapon is my preferred method.
>>
>>53365040
>gachapon
brings back memeories
>>
Are Death Cleric and Oathbreaker Paladin any good in this edition? Also, what's the best Paladin subclass of right now?
>>
I kind of want to run a game where the PC's are average people from the real world who get warped to let's say faerun. Would the game be too boring?
>>
Anyone ever buy miniatures from heroforge?
How did they turn out?

Thinking of purchasing a few as gifts for my players when this campaign ends as well as pay an illustrator to draw their characters.
This will be their first game as well as their first time hitting level 20 and this campaign has gone on for over a year now. Wanna do something nice to close it out. But if the mini's are kinda shit, I might just go with the illustrator.
>>
File: Picture_07_Valley.jpg (779KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Picture_07_Valley.jpg
779KB, 1080x1920px
This saturday I am going to GM foro the first time. It is going to be a one shot with people I barely know using 5th edition. Do you have a good one shot module I could use ir any good ideas for a one session adventure? Or advise to a new DM?
>>
>>53365085
If the players are good at RP, then yeah.

Otherwise, I'd do:
>"Oh hey, we're gonna play an IRL based campaign."
>"Give me these basic details that in no way tie to classes, feats, or even races."
>force them to tie their backstory neatly
>first session shit gets real
>surprise: welcome to Faerun
>>
>>53365085
Could be fun if you let them play themselves and they act in a way that's appropriate given the circumstance.
They could be exceptional heroes and "unlock" their hidden potential.

Depends on the group of players and if they trust you, but I would have fun with a DM deciding my class for me and then after playing a session or two as a "commoner" I receive my class abilities. Or give my players a sort of personality test and base their results off the test. I certainly would not want to play an entire campaign where I was just a normal person forever though.
>>
>>53365085
It's one of those cliches that are never actually done. Just like Drizzt clones.
>>
Was 4e a good game?
If so, why?
>>
Can someone here define gaming the system to me. I was told that a rogue holding their action to sneak attack counts as gaming the system.
>>
>>53365171
I'd play it. I've never seen a Drizzt clone in person. Sweet fuck have I had my share of Sue's, though.
>>
>>53365221
I'm enjoying my 4e campaign I'm in

The whole "Combat takes 5 hours to do" stuff I heard just sounds like hyperbole
>>
File: skeptical kid.jpg (72KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
skeptical kid.jpg
72KB, 426x426px
>someone tries to chop down a tree after it moved suspiciously
>the entire forest erupts into hostile wood woads
>against a level 2 party
>>
>>53365079
Both are good, Death Cleric's in a weird spot where it's better to take Chill Touch and Toll the Dead over using weapons like they're meant to but they do it really well.
>>
>>53365122
What level are the players gonna be?
Here's a one-shot I did for 3 level 1 players.

>players asked to be hired hands and extra protection for a ship delivering precious cargo
>what's the cargo? classified
>cargo is a bunch of giant crates, some small, however
>players see largest crate get lowered into the lower deck, it's pretty massive, visibly weighs down the ship
>if player is able to sneak into the lower deck and inspect the crate the find it has airholes but can't see inside of it
>if they ask about it they're reprimanded, told to keep quiet and their pay is cut
>if they're good boys and girls they don't check the cargo
>have some introductory roleplay, the journey should take 3 days, ask how they'd like to spend those 3 days
>on the 2nd evening, pirates attack
>ohhh fuuuck
>giant hole in your ship, cargo starts floating out to sea, get to the lifeboats, etc
>ship wrecked on jungle island
>some small cargo washes up after them
>further down the beach evidence of large cargo smashed against the rocks, wooden debris floats in the surf
>next day find your way through the jungle
>give hints about a large creature skulking about
>it's jurassic park and that was a t-rex in the cargo
>cue theme music
>party finds out they're on the wrong side of the fence (just a big as fuck section of towers with walls of force between them)
>those towers are far away
>they must get to the towers and let in
>on the way they run into all the lower CR ones
>final encounter is being chased by the T-rex
>if anyone fights the T-rex they're fucked
>>
>>53365270

>mention there is a treant in the forest
>players finish encounter in a forest
>randomly says he kicks a tree after

it was a tpk
>>
>>53365291
Oh, and part of the fun for my group was including with them a couple NPC crewmates to get eaten by dinosaurs instead of them. The captain even jumped in front of the T-rex and was swallowed whole. Second-mate stepped up to lead, then third-mate, etc.
>>
>>
I'm playing a Devotion paladin, and trying to generally be lawful goody two shoes without explicitly being an idiot. A situation happened, and I'm not sure if I played it correctly or too stupid-goody.

We encountered a woman after crashing into it with our cart, which our party leader determined to be faking unconsciousness. Our OP druid charm personed it. When charmed, the monster-in-disguise admitted to having killed the traders of the route we were in, and to planning on killing us too. It was still charmed. The rest of the party wanted to execute the monster in disguise, since it just admitted to killing the traders, but I, devotion goody two shoes paladin, insisted on turning it into the authorities, since it was a sentient creature and thus deserved rights under the law (this setting features beast people and half-monsters and such), and could be restrained while the charm spell was still active. The party leader sneak attacked it and everyone else started beating it, and I turned away refusing to help, seeing as it was an extrajudicial killing (the nation did have an explicit legal system) on an effectively disarmed creature. After the charm wore off and it started attacking, I turned back around and helped kill it since it was already free and could've hurt the party members.

I don't THINK I played this stupidly, but was I being stubborn or annoying in refusing to help the party out until after it became a problem?
Or was I justified in insisting that the disarmed sentient creature be given the rights of the law of the land?
>>
>>53365335
I've used a variant of this story for an initial "bring the group together".
>>
>>53365357
Rather than being directed by two patron wizards, the individual party members were simply shopping individually for starting gear in a city neighboring ruins.
>>
>>53365335
>>53365357
Don't suppose you have a link or a mega to more of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser? I've never been able to get my hand on them.
>>
>>53365374
Individually they find a shop selling miraculous and marvelous items at cut-rate prices.
>>
>>53365392
I DLed this ages ago, no idea where. I own the trade as well, and the hardcover novels.
The campaign I've been running for two years is set in Nehwon.
>>
>>53365351
You were being a retard. You are a paladin. You are annointed by a god to punish the wicked and protect the innocent.
Sure, you COULD drag her to the authorities, but her guilt is already determined and undeniable. They're just going to hang her anyway.
>>
>>53365408
>>
>>53365409
I disagree. I think how he played it was fine. Seems to make sense in his setting and he's trying to uphold the law.
A vengeance paladin though, I'd probably play as you suggest. Because you are the law.
>>
>>53365422
The one TPB collects the entirety of the comics.

It was fairly easy to get the players to shop or investigate the store, one by one. Of course they were skeptical, but once one guy started finding cheap awesome, it became less hard to get the others there, one by one.
>>
>>53365409
>annointed by a god
No he isn't. It depends on the setting, the character's background and motivations, but paladins do not have any sort of authority or privileges by default on 5e. And one of the tenets of the Devotion oath is compassion. That would fly much better for a vengeance paladin
>>
>>53365452
Once I had them all rooting through piles of fantastic treasure and magical items, it became time to disappear them, in quick succession.
>>
>>53365470
They ended up in a maze-like labyrinth, along with six other NPC rookie adventurers (which I used for dramatic haunted house/murder mystery victims).
>>
>>53365468
>>53365451
I'm not going to argue about this, since you clearly have a different view on justice than I do. However, consider this - imagine being a player at the table, where a paladin insists on sparing everything and everyone, and dragging them to the cities.
>Sure, he's a murderer and a rapist, but he deserves a fair trial with impartial jury! And also this guy! And this guy! And this guy too!
>>
>>53365492
Of course, all the awesome gear they had purchased turned to crap at this point.

They had little gear, and had to fight spiders and whatnot with what little they had. (though they got better gear as the other six succumbed to mishaps.)
>>
>>53365522
>>
>>53365534
>>
>>53365543
I neglected to mention they were captured only after "cleverly" deducing/discovering that the contents of the store were a scam.
>>
>tfw you accidentally wander into /co/
>>
>>53365563
Players under the belief that they are being super-clever or even outsmarting the DM or "derailing the plot" can be lured into almost anything.
>>
>>53365518
No, I agree with you. That's no fun. But in this situation it seemed like it might have been justified? It's hard to know without being there.
I certainly agree that if you do this for every encounter it's a drag. But the fact that he joined back into fighting it when it became a threat seems fair enough of a sign that this isn't the case.
>>
>>53365518
Him doing it once doesn't translate to literally making it with everyone and everything they find. If it's a game where the legal system is something which matters and has meaningful authority over the PCs, there's also no logical reason why a DEVOTION paladin would agree to brutally murdering a criminal who wasn't actively hostile nor a danger against the party, while they had the means to take her to a civilized settlement

In that situation I would just think everyone else in the party were a bunch of dumb murderhobos
>>
>>53365580
Fritz Lieber is as /tg/ as you can get. He invented a number of the tropes used in the original game, including the very concept of a Thieves Guild.
>>
>>53365601
Every grimy city full of guild thieves and guild assassins owes Fritz a debt of thanks.
>>
My DM let me take Healing Elixir as a Wizard. Will it piss people off if I prepare 8 of them the night before leaving town.
>>
>>53365616
It's a very low-magic but also very supernatural setting, paradoxically.
Like Conan, there's a lot of dark sorcery going on in the shadows, but not a lot of High Magic.

The Twain never have more than silvered weapons at their disposal in the books.

Wizards can do some pretty sinister stuff, but it takes laboratories, rituals and all sorts of prep.
>>
>>53365621
>Wizards have healing now
I bet Mearls did this.
>>
>>53365639
>>
>>53365640
No it's not MY Healing Power silly, I wouldn't waste my glorious Wizard turn feeding people potions. I'll let the meat shields do that themselves, my turn's far more important.
>>
>>53365656
>>
>>53365621
Is it really so hard not to powergame immediately after the DM gives you a freebie
>>
>>53365670
>>
>>53365695
>>53365679
I'd argue he's using it as intended, it's hardly super-healing, and will just allow the DM to bash at them a bit longer.
>>
>>53365679
That's what I'm wondering about, is making those and giving 2 to each party member a dick of a thing to do? If so I'll likely use my spellslots for something else in the town.

On the bright side my DM's made it very hard to get Alchemy tools but I know a guy who has a lab I can use in this one town. Once they're gone I won't be getting anymore until we're back home.
>>
>>53365715
>>
>>53365695
>>53365715
Ahh... Kos, or, some say Kosm.
>>
>>53365727
>>
/5eg/ please help me. I just played for the first time with a new group and online communities have made me to think they're all retarded. Is it them or am I a perfectionist? Examples -

Bard
>Playing lost mines of phandelver
>We start in the cart and such, asked what we're doing
>This fucker's in the back casing the shit we're delivering
>He and the rogue openly discuss if it's worth stealing, or if we should deliver it first and then take it all
>DM asks if any socialising is happening, I ask this bloke what he plans to do with his 10gp pay for this run
>Mumbles and stutters alot so idk for sure but something about spending his money on whatever he wants. But also something about finding his family
"Haha, well, aren't those two slightly conflicting goals?"
>"I'm a very conflicted person"
>Loots every body, tries to hide valuables from party
>Has to be convinced ooc not to pickpocket a warrior we're currently thinking of hiring
>Does it anyway after the conversation, finds a magic amulet in old mate's belt pouch

Tiefling Ranger
>DM's sister but to be fair I wouldn't have known, no favoritism
>Clearly has never seen a phb
>Halfway through the session reveals the dm showed her the UA ranger, cool, look it up to see features
>Explain to her the numerous class features and abilities she hasn't been using
>Character's name is Dora the Deplorer
>Has a backpack full of randumb things so that she can bring them out and be randumb I guess
>Has a map with permanent animate objects on it so it can talk
>First encounter, tries to throw dirty soap and then hammer at goblin attackers
>Often attempts to hug dangerous or rough NPCs, bust a Sleep saving this broad's life, got Inspiration tho

Hobgoblin Rogue
>Pretty cool guy
>Hasn't read the phb
>Needs his numbers and bonuses and the mechanics of his sneak attack to be explained to him here and there
>Built most of his character in front of the DM starting at 15 minutes after when the session was meant to start

wait there's moar
>>
>>53365718
Well, if you can't do it literally every time before the party heads out, it's probably fine. Ask the DM to be sure.

I'd still associate a tiny material cost to it despite being a cantrip, though
>>
>>53365747
>>
>>53365758
>>53365753
Online players are on average the worst of the lot.
There are some good players on there, but also every cretin who can't find acceptance around a table.
>>
>>53365753

DM
>Will sit there for three minutes and look bothered but not do anything when these guys can't figure out what to do on their turn while getting shot at
>Randomly threw an opportunity attack from a guy with a bow in there, retconned and didn't happen again after I pointed it out
>Opportunity attacks happen at advantage or something whatever
>Is unhappy when we plot to stage a coup on an enemy force and use them against other enemies because this is unbalanced
"If you give us a situation and we outsmart it, that's not our fault, right?"
>Rogue backs me up
>"This is the situation given by the book though."
>Explain recovery rules to him after a pc goes down
>Doesn't believe me, looks it up on his phone anyway
>Requires athletics check, not attack roll or even sleight of hand, to accurately throw a ball bearing as a distraction, not that big of a deal but irks me
>Just saying this to piss people off now, but very big on wacky 'you shoot your friend' nat 1 fuckups
>After bard identifies his stolen magical item, gets a table to randomly figure out what this is
>"You've found a ring of swimming."
"Didn't you say he got an amulet?"
>"An amulet of swimming."

Are these just normal humans enjoying the game and getting unfairly hated on by my neckbeard ass? I just want to one day run (heaven forbid play in) a game where like...I don't know, everyone is heavily familiar with the rules at least where applicable to them, their character fits within a genre and theme established by the group and goes through arcs while sticking to that baseline, and when the DM tells you it's your turn in combat, you immediately say the thing you've already decided you're going to do because it's a fight to the death and you're taking it seriously. Is that some idealised nonsense that just never happens in real life? Most of the groups I play with seem to be something like this lot whether I run them or not. Feel free to say I'm the ass, that's an easier pill to swallow for me.
>>
>>53365756
It's a first level spell.

My DM nerfed it a bit by taking the +2 HP on it off and ruling I need an actual Alchemist's Kit rather then just using an Arcane Focus.

Honestly I think it's probably the only good way to do healing on a Wizard, the potion brewing makes sense.
>>
>>53365774
>>
>>53365753
That sound pretty bad.
>>
>>53365774
No, it's a real life group, I mean what I've learned from reading stuff on here and elsewhere on the internet about the game makes these fellows look pretty bad in comparison.
>>
>>53365785
A bunch of mysterious individuals exchanging real money for useless but irresistable crap, it's like Fritz predicted Magic the Gathering at least half a century in advance.
>>
>>53365597
>>53365518
>>53365451
>>53365409
>>53365451
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm sorta new to roleplaying, so I'm really nervous about not fucking up too much. Nobody else in the session seemed mad about it, and I'm not doing it for every monster we encounter (or being annoying about it OoC), so I think it was okay, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
>>
>>53365813
Finis
>>53365795
After a long sabbatical from DMing, I picked up a group through a work buddy. They were board gamers and "roll" players, but decent folk.
I've been turning them into good roleplayers gradually as the campaign progresses.

The enthusiasm to get better is worth a lot.
>>
File: GaunterO'Dimm.jpg (134KB, 856x1045px) Image search: [Google]
GaunterO'Dimm.jpg
134KB, 856x1045px
Would you allow a warlock to form a pact with something like pic related?
>>
>>53365888
For those off us not familiar with the character could you explain?
>>
>>53365753
>>53365777
The Bard is just kind of edge, but recoverable. The Rogue is fine, as long as he's new, and can learn eventually. The Ranger is someone who thinks DnD is about lol randumb stories she reads on Reddit, and the DM is meh at best, but doesn't seem to be trying to fuck it up, just seems to have memory gaps and is afraid to stray from the book.

Not horrible people, just inexperienced. If they are experienced, however, then they're just kind of shit.
>>
>>53365777
The struggle of being a forever DM is knowing you'll never get to play in a game where the person DM's as well as you do. Sounds incredibly arrogant, but it's true. I put a lot of work into my games and my players really enjoy them. Makes me glad they get to have so much fun, and their fun is my fun.

Not all groups are like the one you describe. Mine is an example of the kind you wish you could play. They're out there, but not everyone is willing to put in the time. Many such people are just looking to play a lolsorandumb character and shoot the shit. Neither is a wrong way to play the game, but if you're not enjoying it, you should let them know, thank them for their time and fine a new group. Myself, playing with someone named Dora the Deplorer probably wouldn't be fun for me and I would have recognized instantly that's not the table I want to be at.
>>
>>53365888
A hobo with a skull? I'm on to you.
>>
File: Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.jpg (53KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.jpg
53KB, 430x591px
>>53365943
>The struggle of being a forever DM is knowing you'll never get to play in a game where the person DM's as well as you do.
No one is the "best" DM, but being a solid one means your likelihood of finding another DM of quality is pretty low, unless you belong to a club or suchlike.
I'm very probably a better DM than you are, having ran games for something like 30 years.
I put in the grunt work and I'm very good with roleplaying and promoting roleplaying.
>>
Ran my first campaign yesterday.

Things seemed to go pretty smoothly; everyone looked like they had a lot of fun, there were many laughs, and when I introduced the major plot hook in the form of the big bad's appearance, the mood changed noticeably and everyone unanimously wanted to take him down.

But enough about that, my main concern is I never really knew when to switch between players during splitups. I wanted to make sure that nobody's left alone for long enough to get bored, but sometimes it felt like I was switching in the middle of conversations. My question is, is there a specific rule or protocol for switching between party member scenarios? Or is it something I just have to get a feel for?
>>
File: Pawns NPC5.jpg (1MB, 2212x2656px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns NPC5.jpg
1MB, 2212x2656px
>>53366012
In addition, it's nice to be financially secure and have the money for large sets of pawns, flip-maps, and good printers to make more pawns.

Pawns aren't absolutely necessary, but they are damn nice for visual effect. They cost a tiny fraction of miniatures and you can get very specific with them.
>>
>>53365917
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrQiL29jQnc

Witcher's equivalent to the devil, hearts of stone introduces him. He gets them to form pacts with them, which appear to be great for the person signing it, wealth and immortality, magic, etc. Eventually he comes back for your soul. The whole plot is a huge homage to pan twardowski's deal with the devil story
>>
>>53366052
Don't linger on individuals to the extent that the others are losing attention, and work on ways to progress the story with the players in pairs and all together as you go along.

You want to get the party roleplaying together. Put them in situations where they wouldn't all agree/would have conflicting interests, and you'll have to do a lot less roleplay work yourself.
>>
>>53366089
In other words, it's a pretty silly question in the first place that you knew the answer to already.
>>
>>53366072
you mean like, chess pawns? Shit chess pieces would work damn well for D&D everything's already there except for the wizard.
>>
File: Octopus with swords.jpg (433KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Octopus with swords.jpg
433KB, 1383x1037px
>>53366171
No, I mean like this.
>>
>>53364810
It takes a minute to disappear though.
>>
>>53364824
Even Xcom gives you different mission types.
>>
>>53366544
>>53366544
>>53366544
>>
>>53363626
Trickery is more or less chaos. The only ones I could think of to add would be The Hunt like >>53363827 said, or somthing to cover some elemental stuff not covered by tempest. Volcano domain?
>>
>>53366012
Yeah I didn't mean I was the best DM or anything. Didn't even mean to imply it. It's just hard to find someone that will match your level of commitment, as you said.

I've only been DMing a few years, so I'm sure you are. I do a good job of voices and am good at roleplaying myself as well as promoting it, rewarding, etc.

Sometimes I just wanna be a player though, y'know.
>>
>>53364398
Some people feel they need to win at D&D
Thread posts: 371
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.