[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/ - Pic sure to trigger edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 43

File: healey bgg.jpg (109KB, 540x432px) Image search: [Google]
healey bgg.jpg
109KB, 540x432px
>Last thread
>>53198621
Pastebin
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Con season coming up, so lots of games being bought/sold/auctioned. What's the best deal you've ever gotten on a game? How about the best one you got secondhand? Most surprising pickup? Biggest screwjob?
>>
>>53295629
>What's the best deal you've ever gotten on a game?

I bought 100% of BattleCon from someone for $100 and it came with about two hundred or so sleeves. Felt like a fucking bandit.
>>
To the person a couple threads ago who recommended The Grizzled, thank you! It group loves it and definitely worth the $13. Any word on if the expansion is good too?
>>
>>53297227
I heard the expansion is good.
>>
>>53295629

>Best deal
Got two heroscape master sets for 15 $. I used to work in a toy store and I arrived just as they were clearancing the rotv master set. Bought one 15 $ and the other was the old demo copy we had that was given to me by my colleagues.
Other than that, I got a complete MB Buffy the Vampire slayer for 20 $ incl shipping (To france !)
I rarely buy games second hand, so Buffy is the best, I guess.
>>
>>53295629
Is there a joke to the op image that I'm not getting?
>>
File: Sam Healey - doing it wrong.jpg (64KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
Sam Healey - doing it wrong.jpg
64KB, 750x600px
>>53298895
"If you kill one board gamer having bad wrong fun - it is a tragedy. If you kill ten million, it is a statistic." Sam Healey.
>>
>>53298895
YA'LL WHATS UP? SAM HEAAAALEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY
>>
File: 1459822814294.gif (2MB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1459822814294.gif
2MB, 360x360px
>>53295629
>>53299423
>>53299813
I actually like Tom and Zee. You always have to take at least Tom's reviews with a grain of salt, but they're pretty genuine normal people. Sam is just so forced though. He wants to be hilarious and forces like 5 schticks at a time
>>
>>53300232
Sam is there because he's known the other two for a long time and that's about it.

At least he's better than any of the side """"content"""" they feature from other rando schmucks
>>
What are the best and worst expansions for Eldritch horror? All I've got is the base and I'm looking to go bigger.
>>
>>53300984
The best expansion is 100% Forsaken Lore, it's basically a balance patch and comes with like 1.5x the content/dollar of all the other expansions.
I'd advise you to get the small expansion before the large ones, the maps included in the large expacs don't see that much play.
>>
File: escape from 100 million bc.jpg (639KB, 1698x842px) Image search: [Google]
escape from 100 million bc.jpg
639KB, 1698x842px
Anyone here know anything about this? It looks pretty cool and I like the theme but there's barely stuff about it online.
>>
>>53301060
How long do I need to wait for this to be reprinted? It seems to be either out of stock or mad expesive everywhere.
>>
>>53301138
EH is pretty big so FL is definitely getting a reprint, last time it did was a March so you may have to wait a bit.
Of the other expacs I'd recommend Strange Remnants. The large expansions aren't as good for your dollar, it gives you an Old One with a cool gimmick while Signs of Carcosa is basically a hard mode.
>>
File: secret hitler.png (61KB, 246x173px) Image search: [Google]
secret hitler.png
61KB, 246x173px
Is this the best social deduction game?
>>
>>53301340
All social deduction games suck ass, so probably?
>>
>>53301430

Scratch that...I actually like Mafia de cuba. So the answer to your question is Mafia de cuba, but you need like 8 people minimum to have a good game.
>>
>>53301340
find yourself, you can play it online
>>
>>53301682
>playing social deduction bluffing games online

wew
>>
>>53301700
Trouble in terrorist town is the greatest social deduction game to ever be created and it's entirely online.
>>
>>53301700
Which is exactly why those "games" are complete dogshit. Sitting in a circle talking to people is not a game.
>>
>>53302704
>Which is exactly why those "games" are complete dogshit. Sitting in a circle talking to people is not a game.
Except that's not all you do autist
>>
>>53302704
This board is about 50% about just that, my dude, and just so happens to be called traditional games.
>>
>>53297227
Can you tell me what you like about The Grizzled? It's been on my radar for a while
>>
File: Soon.jpg (75KB, 720x192px) Image search: [Google]
Soon.jpg
75KB, 720x192px
>>53295629

Not the 'best deal' - just the latest. SOON!
>>
>>53304340
>Not Alone
Good choice. The problem with this game is that it works mainly on guesswork and lacks player interaction between the survivors.
>>
>>53301340
No, definitely not.
>>
>>53304630
Even if it isn't superb, it won't be ruinous since it isn't hideously expensive. I'm also looking forward to Fairy Tale.
>>
>>53300421
He's relatively good at skirmish games (hell, he's pretty much the only reviewer who actually likes skirmish games for the combat more than the toys), and he doesn't hide his That Guyism. So even if he's insufferable, he's still functional as a good gauge for what you local grognard will go nuts about. Plus he can't lie to save his life, if something's shit he'll say is shit and if somethings shit but he likes it too much to say it's shit he still can't lie to your face about it like so many other "reviewers" (looking at you man vs meeple) do.

Tom is the quirky new mechanics and ameritrash guy, Zee is the microgames and euros guy, and Sam is the skirmish and autism dude. And they all have to hate on sex and demons in board games or their wives will hit them. It's like the slice of life comedy show of board game reviews.
>>
File: Run, Fight, or Die 01.jpg (122KB, 670x512px) Image search: [Google]
Run, Fight, or Die 01.jpg
122KB, 670x512px
Anyone have any experience with this one? I know it's been out for a while, but I haven't heard much buzz about it one way or the other.
>>
>>53303940
It's a deck of 60 some cards and some cardboard tokens, so don't mistake it for anything too fancy, but it's a nice half hour fillery coop game for the price I paid. It's abstracted, but the art and gameplay really get the theme across as hard knocks start to pile up and make everyone miserable. You also have a good deal of options so I've never felt like I was destined to lose from just bad luck, though we have lost to pushing our luck too far.

That's from just 4 games though, so take it as you will. Won twice, lost twice. The one thing that irks me is the awkward rule of "No talking about your cards or support tokens". There's just a fine line there between what actually is talking about your cards and what's just telling the room to be dead silent and don't make a peep. Was I cheating when I said I'm in bad shape as I had 3 pretty nasty hard knocks on my side? That might be taken as telling people who to support. Was it revealing your cards to have a player groan at the draw of a card with 3 threats? Pretty much telling us to lucky charm that card or he's gonna have to withdraw. Do we now know too much knowing his hand most likely has a gas mask or bullet in it because that's the threats that just reached 2 on the board? I don't play boardgames to just shut up and play cards silently, but that rule makes me feel bad about anything I might do.
>>
Has anyone played Exceed, Sellsword or Resistor?
>>
>>53307515
It's a decent light filler. Very luck-heavy, though. Don't expect to applying any grand strategies.
>>
>>53307882
I played it fairly vocally, but not outright saying my cards, or who my support would go to. I think it describes the vocal aspect in the rules pretty well iirc. Fun game for sure.
>>
>>53299423
Is the bad grammar on purpose in this image?
>>
File: 356757.jpg (161KB, 738x541px) Image search: [Google]
356757.jpg
161KB, 738x541px
Which two abstracts should I get?
>>
>>53309020
I've only played Hive and Onitama and I love both of those. Onitama is very similar to chess with a few tweaks so if you're looking for something substantially different from chess, you may want to pass on Onitama.

Hive on the other hand is very much different from chess and so that one can scratch an itch that chess doesn't, I would definitely recommend Hive at least.
>>
>>53306182
That's my opinion too, I generally tend to find myself agreeing with Sam's opinions and generally look up any game that he endorses as we seem to have the same preferences in board games. He isn't particularly funny but he is honest and he has similar tastes to me. A reviewer with the same preferences is always better than someone who simply likes different styles of games, movies, or tv shows than you.
>>
>>53301340
That's not escape from aliens in outspace

Which also has the prize for worst named board game of all time.
>>
>>53295629
KANE LIVES
LONG LIVE THE MESSIAH
>>
>>53308345
I didn't create it. So it's (probably) not intentional. At least not on my part.
>>
>>53308328
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.
>>
>>53309749
Tracking down Joe and buying him a beer is on my bucket list.
>>
File: IMG_20170220_112221.jpg (315KB, 722x1274px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170220_112221.jpg
315KB, 722x1274px
>>53309020
Hive Pocket goes with me everywhere. Ultra-portable and being tile-based makes it indestructible. Can't do that with any other game.
>>
>>53295629
I can't imagine there's a person that made this that isn't a clickbait shill.

Anyway, why are "gateway games" not colled "games that are not a mess of components, conflicting rules and overall hampered enjoyment"?
>>
>>53301340
Nigger it's literally a copy of Avalon with retarded hipsters that designed it having hitler as a dinosaur because it's doubleplusungood to have anything resembling fascism in their safe space

I fucking fear corporate culture and this game reeks of it
>>
>>53301065
>Arkham Horror designer
>12x six sided dice

I never saw that coming
>>
>>53310616
RIP white
>>
>>53309020
I have 2.
Onitama is if you want chess where it takes 2 minutes to get to the meat of the action and 10 minutes to finish a game. The cards make it feel unique and add a new element but it is very much feels like fast chess.
Santorini is more it's own thing. The game itself vanilla is pretty bare but the way the player powers change the game and interact with each other is a great draw. It's also what makes it kinda ride the line as far as defining it as an abstract.
>>
>>53302704
I took cards from Bloody Inn and rules from Coup and my group tried to play Coup.

We deducted it's fucking nonsensical shit and that bluffing games are for normies. In fact even normies did not like it. I don't see how Secret Hitler or whatever would be better.

Wow, you got me. I was bluffing. Heh, you did not get me this time. I was bluffing. What variety.
>>
>>53311336
Yeaahhh that would be me.
>>
>>53295629
Bought Munchkin from a gypsy for less than an euro, like new, all cards included etc

Shit game though
>>
>>53311431
Man you got gyped and jewed.
>>
>>53311641
I'm too lazy to put it up online to see if someone would trade me a card game for it
>>
>>53311392
I feel you, Hive is a lot harder to be good at than one would think
>>
>>53311287
>because it's doubleplusungood to have anything resembling fascism in their safe space
I thought it was because Hitler is antithetical to the Enlightenment ideals of current Western civilization and is therefore reviled by it.
>>
>>53314019
Hitler was for animal rights, recycling, intellectual property rights, nuclear energy, the abolishment of interest banking, etc.
Himmler was the dumbass who believed in magic, making pacts with demons and blood-related superpowers.
Hitler like asians, indians, natives and even niggers. But despised race mixing.
Himmler believed in the aryan ubermensch.

USA and UK allying with Hitler instead of Stalin might have caused less damage in the long run for everyone but the jews.
>>
>>53314152
He also abused his position to set up a system where the government had overbearing control over basically every aspect of its citizen's lives, destroyed unions, and had no objections to the depredations of his underlings.
Recent research demonstrates that he was probably unaware of the worst aspects of the Holocaust, though, I'll give you that.
>>
What do you all think about reviewers who have complaints with games because the theme is "pasted on"? I'd listened to/read reviews of games where the game is praised for being really good and then when they get to the negatives for the game all they talk about is how the theme really isn't essential and just pasted on.

It may just be me but this feels like an incredibly weak complaint that is only used so that a reviewer can't say that a game is flawless. What are your thoughts?
>>
>>53314237
Not surprising considering he was inspired by Mussolini and that man had a propaganda machine that'd make Castro feel unpopular to hide all the suffering his revolution caused in Italy.
In the end that seems to be the thing with Hitler. He was a relentless and strong-willed man who genuinelly wanted to see his nation live to it's full potential after seeing it get eviscerated by vultures and bled by leeches. But he allied with the worst people avaliable, Goebbels and Himmler were literally cartoon villains, Stalin can only be challenged by Mao for the "Tyrant of the century" award and Tojo wasn't any better.
>>
>>53314879
Nothing is flawless, if the theme is irrelevant to the game it's existance may even be a detriment for people who dislike the theme.

Imagine Onitama was a /mlp/ game.
>>
>>53314939
>Stalin can only be challenged by Mao for the "Tyrant of the century" award
Only on an absolute scale. On a relative scale Pol Pot wins handily.
>>
>>53314960
>may even be a detriment for people who dislike the theme
I completely get that. I've just always thought that a review is supposed to be an objective analysis without personal bias. I get somebody saying that the theme didn't click with them or that they didn't like it. There's nothing wrong with that but it's subjective, and their opinion isn't better or worse than anyone else.

>Imagine Onitama was a /mlp/ game.
This is a terrifying thought
>>
>>53314960
>>53315072
Forgot to add that I just may have a different opinion on how reviews should be done than other people
>>
>>53315072
Good game design should try to link the mechanics with the theme. Sometimes there's no connection there.
>>
>>53315072
A review is never even mostly objective. Otherwise all you could do is review the amount of time it took you to play the game and tell people the number of components involved.

I think poor theming can be a flaw, but mostly when it's counter intuitive to what you're doing or hurting the presentation. A good use of theme has a power to help people understand mechanics and draw people in. I suppose it's like music. Not every movie or game will use it the same way and sometimes barely use it at all, but to misuse it will make the product worse.
>>
>>53315088
Don't think of it as an objective criticism of the game, think of it as signposting for those people for whom strong integration of theme is an important metric. Not everyone cares, but some people do, and for those people it's helpful information.
>>
Looking for recommendations for a group of 4 that will take less than 2 hours ideally.
>>
>>53315695
Chaos in the Old World.
>>
>>53315695
kemet, kemet, kemet.
>>
>>53315695
Pandemic is universally regarded as the best overall board game. If you encounter detractors, their only 'argument' is that it's a GATEWAY game which translates to 'it's not a horrid mess like shit I bought that takes 10hrs to explain to new players'.
>>
File: f1XhaKi.jpg (813KB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
f1XhaKi.jpg
813KB, 1878x1672px
First, are there more images like pic?

Second, i want to introduce my group to a worker placement/euro , what would be best? Agricola? Stone Age? Lords of Waterdeep? Suggestions?
>>
>>53315721

I seriously hope that Games Workshop and Lang won't let this one die off.

Do you think the german version is playable for non germans if you know the rules?
>>
>>53316082
It's quite heavily text-based.
And they will let it die off.
>>
>>53316013
>it's a GATEWAY game which translates to 'it's not a horrid mess like shit I bought that takes 10hrs to explain to new players'.
No, actually, that translates to "I can predict whether we can win based off the initial state and first few cards."
>>
>>53315721
>dice chucker

lol

>>53316120
lol you can't predict shit
>>
>>53316142
Based on the first few turns of Pandemic you can quite easily predict whether you've got enough actions to quash the outbreaks at a pace enough to win, and CitOW isn't a dice-chucker because the winner is most often the player who makes best use of his quite limited power points and follower numbers, not the person who rolls the most sixes.
>>
>>53316200
>Based on the first few turns of Pandemic you can quite easily predict whether you've got enough actions to quash the outbreaks at a pace enough to win
After the first few games, I mean.
>>
>>53315695
Chicago Express
Quantum
Survive! Escape From Atlantis
Lords of Vegas
Wiz-War
>>
>>53316200
>>53316208
That is completely untrue even if you played it a thousand times. A lot of it hangs on cards you draw and decisions you make.

And Chaos is a dice chucker because you chuck dice to resolve conflicts. Such games need to be discarded straight away because of lazy design.
>>
File: reco.png (2MB, 2016x899px) Image search: [Google]
reco.png
2MB, 2016x899px
>>53316080
There are but most are older and not updated (pic related), I'm in the midst of working on one for groups 3-6 in size but it's slow going. Might finish this weekend, but I'm also trying to get my Gencon schedule figured for the 6 of us who attend yearly.

As for worker placement? Stone Age is the standard for into/gateway, but I got a chance to test out World's Fair 1893 last month, it's really solid. Game plays very fast, easily under 45 minutes, and while really simple there was enough choice and tension that I might start pointing people to it before Stone Age or Waterdeep. Waterdeep is pretty, and straightforward but the theme is barely pasted on. Pillars of the Earth is supposedly getting a reprint, it's gotten a lot of good press over the years. Agricola would be the 2nd or 3rd worker placement I'd put in front of people, there's so much there to cause AP.
>>
>>53316295
>And Chaos is a dice chucker because you chuck dice to resolve conflicts.
No, you chuck dice as a result of conflict, not as part of its resolution. It's perfectly possible for two warrior units to sit on a province from the first turn to the last.
>>
>>53316331
I do hope pillars of the earth gets a reprint, ive found Lords of Waterdeep with a better price than Stone Age so thats why im so divided between both, ive already played stone age online and saw waterdeep reviews, the theme of waterdeep for me looks better and its faster i think, has more things to do that are not that complicated. Why is it so hard to choose games ? Would hurt having more than one of those? Maybe i'll try to get pillars when it gets reprinted.

And thanks for the pic!
>>
>>53315695
Blokus
Dixit
Small World
Eminent Domain
7 Wonders
Carcassonne
Arctic Scavengers
Citadels
Code Names
Cosmic Encounter
Cutthroat Caverns
Dark Moon
Deception In Hong Kong
Five Tribes
Hanabi
Mission Red Planet
Neuroshima Hex
Quartermaster General
Roll for the Galaxy
Saboteur 1 & 2
Specter Ops
Splendor
Stone Age
Tash-Kalar
The Castles of Burgundy
The Grizzled
Ticket to Ride
Xenoshyft

>>53316013
>Pandemic is universally regarded as the best overall board game (in my circle of imaginary friends).

FYP Anon.

>>53316200
>After the first few games of Pandemic you can quite easily predict whether you've got enough actions to quash the outbreaks at a pace enough to win.

Yeah, I play with a group that quickly picked up optimal play patterns. It doesn't always guarantee a win, but after a while the outcome of games using just the 'base' Pandemic set became fairly predictable.
>>
File: pic2458233_md.jpg (138KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2458233_md.jpg
138KB, 500x500px
>>53316411
Yeah I get that, I playtested World's Fair because I wanted to write it off the list for gateway, all it did was give me one more to choose from. Then there's pic related which I haven't found a bad review of yet, and my buddy keeps trying to tell me I'd love, but I'm not driving 18hrs to test it at his place, and I loathe buying a game I'm not 100% sure on.
>>
>>53316295

Interesting, what kind of combat mechanism replaced dice chucking for you?

Card based? Deterministic? Closed Auction? Chit-pulling?
>>
>>53316444
I wouldn't particularly recommend Quartermaster General for 4 players as a 2v2 game unless you have teams were one person is willing to manage more than the other teammate, preferably the Axis Team having a split of Italy/Japan and Germany, and the Allies team with a split of UK/US and Soviet. Might be interesting as a 1v3 game though
>>
>>53316080
>i want to introduce my group to a worker placement/euro , what would be best? Agricola? Stone Age? Lords of Waterdeep? Suggestions?

I'm a huge fan of Stone Age, but Carcassonne isn't a bad starting point either, and you can ramp up the complexity a bit with add-ons. (I like the 'Big Box 5' version of Carc personally.)

Once you want to hit heavier stuff - I'd point you at Puerto Rico, Archipelago, etc.
>>
>>53316566
Oh i already have carcassonne, its an euro but too simple. I think i was trying to say entry to medium euros i think?
>>
>>53316594
Alright - then go with Stone Age, and look at Terra Mystica, Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, Bora Bora, etc.
>>
>>53315695
>>53316444
Seconding Blokus, Carcassonne, Hanabi, and Ticket to Ride
>>
>>53316527
That's a fair argument. You're right. I should have left it off that list.
>>
>>53316594
I should also add Five Tribes and Viticulture (before Minifig pokes me with a pointy stick!)
>>
>>53316726
I just remembered two things i dont like about stone age, the dice part ( i love dice chucking ) and feeding the people, im not a casual gamer but i see my friends forgetting about feeding their people part a lot and losing points and getting frustrated. I saw Zee talking good things about five tribes, like it has a lot of mechanisms working together nicely and then you see what you like more about each one. Viticulture is EXPENSIVE around here, maybe i'll get on discount but for now its a nono. Lords of Waterdeep and Five tribes are around $80, viticulture around $95 and stone age around $100 (praise the high taxes)
>>
>>53316521
placement
cards
tiles
card placement tiles that turn into game map
with cards
>>
>>53316841
Knowing your local gaming group is key to picking games that they'll enjoy. That said I've been pleasantly surprised by games I didn't think I'd like but did once I tried them, perhaps your group might as well.

>Viticulture is EXPENSIVE around here, maybe i'll get on discount but for now its a nono. Lords of Waterdeep and Five tribes are around $80, viticulture around $95 and stone age around $100 (praise the high taxes)

Yikes! You are not kidding. I'm fortunate to have access to a lot of good on-line discount game sellers apparently. What part of the world do you live in?
>>
>>53317160
Brazil sir, we always get fucked with prices around here :( and boardgames are expensive to import because of the taxes we get ( if we get taxed its +60%)
>>
>>53309020

Quantum isn't a AAA game and can be a bit easy to 'break,' but it's solid puzzley 4k-esque fun, and doesn't take forever to play. Dice scare some people though.
Also looks great on the table, very clean while still be flavorful. Make sure you get the non-sticky dice.
>>
>>53309020
Get The Duke. Or PnP The Duke. Or steal The Duke from some random passersby. It may not be as intuitive as the others and the learning curve is a bit steeper, but it is without a doubt the superior abstract.
>>
>>53316936

So Android basically?

Never played that one.
Bluffing seems like strange mechanism to base that much complexity on IMO. I'd like to try it once though.
>>
File: IMG_0943.png (179KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0943.png
179KB, 300x300px
Got pic related on the way but thought I could play 1 player for some reason, has anyone tried the solo app?
>>
>>53309020
Just Hive. Skip on the rest.
>>
>>53314152
Nazi Germany was a corrupt-as-hell, out of control clusterfuck. Imagine Zimbabwe except with high IQ and no inbreeding. No thanks.
>>
>>53316080
>Second, i want to introduce my group to a worker placement/euro , what would be best?
Agricola. Stone Age is a very dated and confusing point salad, Lords of Waterdeep is a game where you win or lose based on random stuff that isn't even related to the main meat of the game.
>>
>>53316200
Pandemic isn't a game about quashing outbreaks, it's a game about trading cards. Your opinion should be discarded, you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>53316444
>>53316644
I played blokus well before I got into /tg/, I just wanted to thank you anons for reminding me it exists. Loved it so much some years ago.
>>
>>53319255
Everywhere was. At roughly the same time Hitler was consolidating his political omnipotence, american bankers literally destroyed the world's economy with their rampanth greed, the NHS was horror movie tier specially in mental health institutions and 90% of eurasia had reverted to pre-industrial times in regards to rights and law administration.

I'm not a /pol/ack, I know the axis was mostly in the wrong, but it's time to review history without a bias and see the great wars for what they were because we're on extremelly similar socioeconomic conditions nowadays.
>>
>>53319502
>Everywhere was.
Indeed, but Nazi Germany was outrageously corrupt even for the standards of its time.

>but it's time to review history without a bias
I agree, and the meme about 'Aryan German efficiency that made the trains run on time' needs to die. Nazi Germany was an Africa-tier embarrassment.
>>
>>53319502
>the NHS was horror movie tier specially in mental health institutions

The NHS didn't fucking exist until 1948 you moron
>>
>>53317183
Become the world's first board game smuggler.
>>
>>53319301
I hope you're only pretending to have the reading comprehension of a 6 year old.
>>
>>53319944
Here's what you literally wrote:
> whether you've got enough actions to quash the outbreaks at a pace enough to win
I pointed out that Pandemic is *never* won or lost based on how fast you quash outbreaks, a fact anybody who played Pandemic more than a few times already knows, since outbreaks in Pandemic are entirely predictable. (Unlike city card draws.) Don't have a cow, man.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (260KB, 1869x915px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
260KB, 1869x915px
>>53320106
Not who you replying talking to, but don't let that stop you. If you've ever played Pandemic then I'm sure you could have inferred what he meant by "quashing" and it is an important part of the game.
>>
>>53319502
The ME is more of a shithole than it's been in quite a while but East Asia, Africa, and Latin America are doing quite well for themselves. The similar economic conditions are mostly in the US.
>>
>>53320218
>"quashing" it is an important part of the game
No it isn't. If you have half a brain and can count cards then you already know where and when the next outbreak is going to be, quashing it is a mechanical no-brainer. The real game is in making combos of actions that result in city card trades. (And this you absolutely need to do, because relying on blind luck to give you five cards of the same color is an automatic loss given that you only get roughly 7 rounds in four-player game.)
>>
>>53306096
Never said otherwise, it's a pretty good game. The only problem is that people tend to shut up when playing it because of the rules that players have to communicate out loud for the Creature to hear, and therefore makes communicating kinda useless. I still wish people would communicate more, especially when, for example, a player forgets to spend a Will token to recover cards.
>>
>>53318229
forbidden island, kemet
>>
>>53316013
>Pandemic is universally regarded as the best overall board game.
You must live in a very small universe.

>>53316080
>Second, i want to introduce my group to a worker placement/euro , what would be best?
Carcassonne.
>>
>>53320288
>The only problem is that people tend to shut up when playing it because of the rules that players have to communicate out loud for the Creature to hear, and therefore makes communicating kinda useless. I still wish people would communicate more, especially when, for example, a player forgets to spend a Will token to recover cards.

I wonder if there is a simple rules fix for this issue. I'll have to watch for this issue when we play. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>53321857
>>53319864
>>53319290
>>53316726
>>53316623
>>53316566
Lets make things simple

my options are : agricola, wait for caverna to launch, lord of waterdeep, stone age (ehh), five tribes, mombasa, puerto rico, viticulture(expensive af), istanbul ( is it an euro ?), scythe ( also expensive), tokaido and terraforming mars.
>>
Well, you could say that coded speech is allowed but that would actually play against the Creature.

Or it perhaps wouldn't matter since the Creature's role is to guess where players are the most likely to go to according to the situation, but also guess where they are the least likely to go to considering the players can just try to stall the game until they win.
It sometimes is more a matter of luck than anything else. Is it "HA! I knew you'd go there according to your strategy and the situation" or is it "HA! I knew you knew that I knew you'd go there so I decided to go somewhere else".

It's still very fun but the mindgame can grow to become quite disproportionate.
>>
>>53323262
Forgot to quote >>53323172
>>
>>53323241
Must you pick only one? If yes, then Agricola.
>>
>>53323241
>istanbul
Been singing it's praises on /bgg/ for couple years now, it's middleweight (on the lower end) so just a big heavier than Stone Age or Waterdeep; plays fast (haven't run into anyone who goes AP on it), and plenty of paths to win. Usually in my group, the guy who finishes in first is the one who picked a strategy with fewer players competing with him, even if it's not the "ideal"; but 2nd place is always one turn away from winning too. It's not strictly a worker placement, more of a mancala-esque thing like Five Tribes

>Out of what else is on your list?
Tokaido is beautiful, and relaxing, and simple; the biggest problem is there's not a lot of variety but even knowing your options fully not every game plays the same. It's not a worker placement tho.

Agricola/Caverna, and Puerto Rico are a bit polarizing for me to drop as an intro. Five Tribes maybe less so, but it's still not always received well when I put it out. Mombasa is heavy euro, and Terrraforming Mars is heavy enough I'd not go there first.

If you're eh on Stone Age, then Waterdeep might be your best bet. It's straightforward, and does worker placement right; the biggest issue I've ever run into is theme. Either that it's D&D referential and the players don't really get/like it; or that it's paper thin and pasted on.
>>
>>53323241
Personally I'd go with:

1 Stone Age / Five Tribes
2 Puerto Rico / Lords of Waterdeep
3 Caverna / Viticulture

I'd skip Scythe and Terraforming Mars since neither of these are truly revolutionary in what they do.
>>
>>53323262
>>53323278
Thanks - my order >>53304340 just arrived a few minutes ago. Hooray! Now time to sort and bag all the little bits.
>>
>>53319341
I love it too. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to play with the maximum amount of players or it becomes unbalanced. I haven't tried this yet, but if you played multiple games so that everyone had a chance to have to open corner then that should fix it
>>
>>53310616
Hive pocket is the same as Hive, just tiny, right? My brother and I love abstracts generally (though the Duke kinda hit flat with us) and this seems like a good thing to take with on a trip south we're going on soon.
>>
>>53326610
Yeah, same game just smaller.
>>
>>53326610
The only difference I've seen is there's no pillbug.
>>
Why are Pandemic Iberia and Pandemic Cthulhu so bland?
>>
>>53318465
yes, and i'ts good enough. also, delve is dreat
>>
>>53319864
This is brazil, he's least likely to be gunned down for drug dealing or sexual slavery than for daring to steal a BRL from the guvmint.
>>
Word Whimsy, aka Cards Against Humanity: Actually Funny Edition
>How about the best one you got secondhand?
There was that WWE game that people were quite positive about that I got for £10
Most surprising pickup?
Probably a toss-up between the previous two
>Biggest screwjob?
Ponte fucking Vecchio. I've ranted about it enough times, so all I'll say is that it's a crying shame such wonderful art was wasted on such clunky shit.
>>
>>53314879
Having played a few games with pasted-on themes, I say it's a perfectly valid complaint. Let me give a few examples:
>Fagin's Gang
Ostensibly about pickpocketing in Olde London Town, but you move around a board and pick up cubes
>Homes: Sherlock & Mycroft
Has a wonderful blurb setting up an interesting mystery, and all you do is put three meeples on cards with characters from the books (Lestrade, Irene Adler, Toby the beagle, etc.) and take cards in order to complete a set as best you can.

The main problem with those games is that they promise a lot, but don't deliver.

Sage for double post
>>
>>53328503
I always viewed pasted themes as a double edged sword; it lends to doing a PnP/retheme/reprint, but if the theme is already appealing yet peels off by just looking at the game there's no immersion, and you're just playing with blocks, or paper money, or poker chips.

Something like Elder Sign, it's got a very nice base Yahtzee mechanic, the way time/doom advances and monster pop out is a good wrinkle, and despite all the upkeep and tokens/cards to deal with it's got enough moving parts to be more than just chucking dice. Downside is the base game has 0 flavor whatsoever, unless you take the time to read all the card text, and even then it's not spooky museum exploration, it's just a disjointed Lovecraft work. It's an appealing theme but it could easily be superheroes, or Jurassic Park, or trading in the Mediterranean.

Speaking of the most overused theme ever, you've got Splendor, a game that's perfect in it's simplicity, and the components, while not as top tier as they could be, are quite nice. So we've got a fantastic gateway game, let's chuck the most bland theme ever on it. It'd be perfect for any other economic/industry theme ever. I personally think it'd be a fun Willy Wonka themed game, trade the poker chips for candy ingredients (fruits/cocoa/whatever) and go wild with the art, kids would be instantly drawn to it.

There's also stuff like Pret a Portier, where you have a great game, an unusual theme, and it just doesn't sell for whatever reason; it's an instant swap from fashion to vidya and boom now you've got 2 games to buy/sell with minimal extra work.
>>
File: idk.gif (1002KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
idk.gif
1002KB, 250x251px
Does anyone still have a pic of steev's game room? Thinking about building that table in the pastebin.
>>
Im the guy trying to choose an euro/worker and with all the suggestions im down to four of them: viticulture, puerto rico, five tribes and lords of waterdeep. Now ill see more vídeos and do some more research. Thanks everyone.
>>
>>53330765
IMO lords of Waterdeep is only worth it if you get the expansion as well, otherwise you'll outgrow it quickly.
>>
Hello /bgg/, I have a question actually two:
Any ideas for boardgame:
a) party game for 10-12 people
(except codenames and ultimate one night werewolf)
b) a little bit more complicated game for 7-8 people, that will take up to 2h hours to complete? (i was considering 7 wonders. I've got Eldritch Horror, but its definitely too long and too complicated)
I will appreciate any help.
>>
>>53330844
What does the lords of waterdeep expansion add to the game?
>>
>>53330885
Check this out, maybe this can help
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/205922/how-many-players-play-2016-edition
>>
File: IMG_20170519_173316.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_173316.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
>>53330289
Fine, but I'm not cleaning up for you.
>Only two people coming over for games tonight.
Bailing on game night should be a capital offense. On the plus side, maybe I'll finally get ascendancy played.
No I won't.
>>
>>53330993
What doesn't it add?
You get new locations, buildings, cards (both actions and quests), lords, new game mechanic (corruption).
>>
>>53323692
I'd add that if art design means anything at all to you Scythe is worth a look and that, while not revolutionary, it is a very good instance of what it does.
>>
>>53330993
Everything needed to make it actually interesting.
You know how a lot of games have simple mechanics and resources and you think up a bunch of cool things to add to the game to make it more spicy? All that stuff is int he expansion.

The only game I like out of all those listed is Puerto Rico, however.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170519-203636.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170519-203636.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>53331236
What's this
>>
>>53331427
A pregnant computer.
>>
>>53331427
A constant reminder that I had terrible taste in cases a decade ago.
>>
>>53331236
You got a Mayday crok board right? Looks better than all the horror stories I've read on them
>>
>>53331236
>that crokinole board
I want one so bad
>>
>>53331662
The first KS was garbage but the second actually turned out pretty well.
>>
>>53331688
Forget the KS, they sold them retail outta their shop and there were stories about people getting return labels for defective boards that were shipped to some other sucker. I love Mayday for having the widest sleeve range (affordable too) and I'm a fan of their dexterity offerings, but they've got a lot of bad history.
>>
>>53331717
>>53331688
>>53331662
Yeah, I was pretty apprehensive when I opened it up today. It's not perfect, but the play surface is free of any flaws and it looks pretty good for it's price. Needs a better wax finish, but I knew that would be the case going in.
>>
>>53331807
As long as it's not terribly warped; that's got me avoiding a couple games/products out there atm, but a simple sanding/poly refinish? That's not bad
>>
So this Istanbul game is good, huh.
>>
Okay ive settled for viticulture for now, the number of players and the amazing discount i found made me choose that. Ill grab puerto rico and something else later, maybe caverna
>>
>>53316295
>CitOW
>lazy design

>Pandemic
>muh best game evah

Pleb taste detected.
>>
>>53332170
>need exactly 4 players to make it work
>dice chucking

only good thing is old school metal design
>>
>>53332011
It kinda flew under the radar when it came out, few good review, and got the kennerspiel. Didn't get a lot of support right away though, after the 2nd expansion people started to look at it again, which is too bad because the first expansion and the promo from Spielbox were the things that really added to it.

It's what I point to when people ask me for "next step" or middleweight games. Some prefer Concordia, but even if it didn't have issues with sold out/OOP issues, I'd still point to Istanbul, if nothing else it looks better.
>>
>>53319608
>Volkswagen
>Autobahn
>Rockets

That doesn't sound Africa tier to me anon. You might want to stop revising history with bullshit.
>>
>>53332193
>>need exactly 4 players to make it work
That's not a mark against it. Most games are best at a certain player count, CitOW just decided to go all-or-nothing.
And there's absolutely no dice-chucking as the term is most often understood.
>>
>>53327109
Because base Pandemic is boring as shit.
>>
>>53332076
I you go Caverna you might as well go Feast For Odin.
>>
How's Splendor's replayability? And does it work well with 3 players?
>>
>>53332286
I was thinking about buying it, watched a ton of reviews, literally no one, rahdo, dice tower, shut up and sit down, anyone - criticized base game Pandemic as boring. I hate this fucking place. I will buy it, of course, base game WITHOUT an expansion, but spergs in this thread are really predictable. Fuck you sperg.
>>
>>53332318
All these reviewers very, very seldom play a single game as often as we in this thread do. The correct play heuristic for Pandemic is obvious after only a few plays, and for people who don't get the game free for the publicity this means a lot.
>>
>>53301430
I've had great fun playing Spyfall with drama types. and awful miserable times playing with stemfags
>>
>>53332318
Easy there, edgelord. I'm just offering my opinion.
I think it's a boring and predictable game, and I'd rather play almost anything else than play Pandemic again. That doesn't mean you won't like it, or that rahdo doesn't like it, or that Sam motherfuckin' Healey doesn't like it. It just means that I don't like it. I hope you buy it anon and I hope it brings you great game nights.
>>
>>53332301
It's got good longevity, you might get a little better at planning out your path to the upper tiers of cards but that's gonna happen with any engine/economy game where the card order might be random but the content doesn't change. Also plays best at 3, though at this point I think it works at every player count almost perfectly.
>>
>>53332337
>all those reviwers
To be fair Zee's admitted to playing Pandemic 100s of times and he still has it as his favorite game. Then again he's crazy enough to buy a 2nd copy of Pandemic Legacy and play it again within a week of finishing it with the other Dice Tower guys.
>>
>>53332416
Don't patronize me you cocksucking sperg. Bet you have a tranny gene.
>>
>>53332482
The SUSD guys also play it tons.
>>
>>53332280
Not here to start an argument but I don't think that it's a bad thing that all games have a best player count but I find it a little disappointing when a game requires a certain amount of players to be playable.

I've never played CitOW but I'll use standard Blokus as an example. You're able to play Blokus with less than the max number of players but the game balance become heavily skewed to benefit the players who have a free corner. There's things that can be done to fix that but without the required number of players, Blokus can't be played the way it was intended.

Contrasting that with Mage Knight, it can play up to 4 people and it is playable at any player count. It's very slow and has a lot of down time with 4 players as opposed to 1 or 2, but the game is still playable.
>>
>>53331856
I don't think I'll need to sand and refinish it, just add some wax so the surface is a little lower friction and more uniform.
>>
>>53332976
I was thinking more sand it to give a new coat of poly something to hold onto, but I could see it just being a wax issue. There's plenty of dexterity games I've hit with a dose of carnuba to get better results.
>>
>>53332974
>I've never played CitOW but I'll use standard Blokus as an example. You're able to play Blokus with less than the max number of players but the game balance become heavily skewed to benefit the players who have a free corner. There's things that can be done to fix that but without the required number of players, Blokus can't be played the way it was intended.

CitOW can be played at 3 also. The expansion brings that up to 5, and the faction included makes 3 players somewhat balanced.
It's like Rex, you can technically play 3-6 but you don't really bring it out for a player count fewer than 6. I'm willing to bet you haven't played Blokus at 3 more than maybe twice.
>>
>>53331639
>>53331639
You dated a Cyclon? Who knew... (I'm guessing you get shot a lot while playing BSG. Just saying. ;)
>>
>>53327109
What were you expecting?

>>53331236
>Starsector
Confirmed for good taste.

>>53332318
>literally no one
SUSD mention how vulnerable it is to "quarterbacking" in one of their videos.
>>
>>53310615
Hey he has a Youtube account, maybe you can ask him
He's still doing movies iirc
>>
>>53333463
I'm not convinced that having trouble with "alpha player syndrome" is a problem with a game, it's more of a problem with your gaming group. I think it's good and helpful to point out if a game makes it easy for someone to become an alpha player but I don't know if you can point to that and label it as a flaw.
>>
File: image-20170519_204958.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
image-20170519_204958.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
Well it happened. It's good. . . But I think other than production value I like Fleet Captains a little better. Ascendancy just seems a little too streamlined without a correspondingly shortened playtime. Still had fun amassing a million ships and steamrolling the other two, but it never made me feel particularly clever.

>>53333463
>Starsector
I've been really surprised how many people know the game, especially around here. I'd always assumed it was relatively unknown. But yeah, fantastic. Shame the development has been so damn slow. I keep telling myself I'm not going to pick it back up until it's finished, and then two years later when another patch comes out I can't help myself.

>>53333491
Tempting.
>>
Does anyone like Doomtown reloaded?
>>
File: IMG_20170520_002241.jpg (357KB, 1210x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170520_002241.jpg
357KB, 1210x908px
>>53326807
>>53326861
Alright! Just found it at my FLGS with the pillbug. Getting the pillbug was probably unnecessary, but they had it and I like having everything.
>>
>>53335033
Nice! Hope you enjoy it!
>>
>>53295629
Kane LIVES... with diabetes.
>>
File: Diabeetus.jpg (20KB, 519x519px) Image search: [Google]
Diabeetus.jpg
20KB, 519x519px
>>53335193
>>
>>53295629
>>53335193
What's the Kane reference to?
>>
>>53335033
Ma nigga, I also bought this badboy recently and is really good fun, especially if you play with people that like chess. I never tried it without it, but the pillbug is fine. I can imagine it being a whole different game without it though. Our games tend to be quite focused on the fucker.
>>
What are some good board game apps to download?
>>
>>53335478
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFUfF3Ws39E
>>
>>53332540
>SUSD
>Anything but an indicator of precisely what opposite action to take
>>
>>53335493
Saturdays after the 2 big games we play tend break down into throwing something on TV and just hanging out. My brother and I love abstracts and we usually end up playing those, and I hear this one has some depth and challenge to it.
>>
File: IMG_0944.jpg (359KB, 1500x1328px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0944.jpg
359KB, 1500x1328px
How the hell do I find this game? Looks fun but all I can find are the 2 expansions any advice? Game looks a bit more fun then descent but I could b wrong
>>
>>53336119
you're wrong, it's shit.
>>
File: IMG_1884.jpg (93KB, 590x775px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1884.jpg
93KB, 590x775px
>>53332521
That's some pretty aggressive hostility you have there anon. And it's over a bland, entry level board game. Maybe you should find someone to talk to about that.
>>
>>53336119
Why would you want to play it? It's a horrible game by all accounts. Apparently half the enemies do "Poison" damage which is nowhere defined in the rulebook and there's no rules as to how you set up the initial positions of monsters, because this game is about the "experience" and you can figure that out yourself.
>>
File: new_general.jpg (927KB, 1440x1622px) Image search: [Google]
new_general.jpg
927KB, 1440x1622px
>>53337051
>>
>Board Game General /bgg/ - "Everything is shit" edition
>>
>>53335033
Nice. I never played with pillbug, but they seem interesting. I usually take out the ladybugs though, they're a little OP.
>>
>>53337859
There's apparently been a rerelease with a real rulebook which makes it an actual game.
>>
>>53295629
I like Sam Healy, honestly seems the most fun to be around out of the group. Though fuck his weird need for theme, it's so alien for me given I only care about mechanics and themes just feel like a unfortunately needed thing for people to open the box, but by the 4th play no one gives a shit.
>>
>>53331047
Thanks, mate. It helped a lot.
>>
>>53307907
I've played Exceed and Sellswords
>Exceed
Exceed is like Battlecon, but more casual. There's a randomized deck and you can use cards to move or give yourself buffs instead of just attack. Season 1 is Red Horizon which means Genzoman and his boring, samey art, but Season 2 looks much prettier.
>Sellswords
Did you play FF8? Did you play Tripple Triad? Sellswords is Tripple Triad where the cards all have special abilities. The art is chibis which is alright I guess.
>>
Which elder sign expansion should I get first
>>
>>53339557
Either of the Omens, or Gates, they actually change the game (in a good way) Unseen Forces is just more of the same.
>>
>>53338610
How is the gameplay of sellswords? How much replay value does it have? What do you like/not like about the game?
>>
File: GAMEWRIGHT-418-front.jpg (2MB, 1499x1500px) Image search: [Google]
GAMEWRIGHT-418-front.jpg
2MB, 1499x1500px
my copy came without dice -_-

could someone tell me where to buy new ones?

for the time being what are the six sides on each die?
>>
>>53340204
Email the manufacturer about your problem. Odds are extremely good that they will simply mail you a set of dice to replace what should have been in the game. Most game makers are willing to help out with customer service issues like that.
>>
File: babellostcities.png (448KB, 1139x606px) Image search: [Google]
babellostcities.png
448KB, 1139x606px
Which one do you prefer?

Boardgamegeek leans towards Lost Cities because it's less "mean" while the germans prefer Babel because it's less "boring".
>>
>>53332249
That stuff has nothing to do with the Nazis. That's just the usual German high-IQ creativity. (Same reason why only Germans can design boardgames properly or compose good classical music.)

The Nazis did their best to turn German accomplishments to shit.
>>
>>53332337
>The correct play heuristic for Pandemic is obvious after only a few plays
Yes, but the different roles make for good replayability.
>>
File: MyCollection.png (6MB, 1855x2959px) Image search: [Google]
MyCollection.png
6MB, 1855x2959px
Collection wagglan, anyone?
>>
Got to play Rex at a meetup today; I didn't really get to do much, and my one fight ended with everyone dying, except for my leader, but it was damn good fun.

>tfw my optional victory condition required controlling two areas that other players had put fat stacks of units on
>>53332076
You have chosen wisely.
>>53340754
This. My copy of Alhambra came with a deck that was 80% orange cards and missing two colours, and Queen Games sent me a new deck, no questions asked.

When I got gypped by an online store into paying almost full price for a copy of Viticulture that looked like a car had smashed into the box, Stonemaier went "We can't send you a new box, as you live in another continent. But if the seller gives you shit about refunding you, let us know so we can shame them into not being tools" (fortunately, the store realised they'd fucked up on their own and refunded me).
>>
>>53342918
Asmodee (at least before the merger) has awesome customer service too. I had some pieces from my copy of Eclipse go missing. I offered to pay shipping since I knew I'd lost them, and Asmodee Customer Service sent free replacements anyway. (And the support folks were super friendly and helpful too.)
>>
File: My Collection 2017-05-20.png (4MB, 1219x2808px) Image search: [Google]
My Collection 2017-05-20.png
4MB, 1219x2808px
>>53341498
Definitely some cross-over. ;)
>>
>>53300984

It's literally getting reprinted now, but it still is at the printer. So expect it to be hitting stocks in a few months. Until then Strange Remnants is a good one to pick up. Forsaken Lore is definitely a priority to pick up once the scalper prices go down though, because it fleshes out all the base game old ones. Everyone goes from 4 mysteries to 6, and 8 clue cards to 24, so their replayability gets boosted a ton. If you can find it before the reprint at a random LGS for 25 dollars, definitely pick it up.

None of the expansions are bad, so don't worry too much about picking up 'that one' expansion that everyone loathes. They're just degrees of good. I think the most luke warm is Mountains of Madness, since the side board was the first one implemented, and it shows a bit. Neither of the two included Ancient Ones stand out as amazing, but it's overall still a great inclusion to the game.
>>
File: Collection.jpg (1MB, 1832x2495px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.jpg
1MB, 1832x2495px
Missing Gates of Loyang and Year of the Dragon which are imminently shipping.
>>
>>53344204
Nice - love stuff like Archipelago, andsome of the meatier games. I just don't get to play them as often as I'd like.
>>
>>53343096
That was really nice of them.

Of course, playing devil's advocate you can assume that they know if they weren't so helpful, we'd all be cursing their firstborn online
>>
>>53344527
If Asmodee was run with the intent to avoid interwebz drama they wouldn't have let Petersen run the North American branch.
>>
File: collection-tg.png (3MB, 1920x1902px) Image search: [Google]
collection-tg.png
3MB, 1920x1902px
>>53341498
I'm still pretty new to this. I only started a year ago.
>>
File: wagglan.jpg (866KB, 1876x1282px) Image search: [Google]
wagglan.jpg
866KB, 1876x1282px
>>53341498

I think it's up to date, but I havent checked in a while.. Excluded expansions of course.
>>
>>53344776
I see you trying to hide Betrayal at House on the Hill. No need to be ashamed, we're all autists here.
>>
>>53340817
I find boring to be vague and it doesn't really tell me anything without any explanation. So from what you've said, it comes down to do you want a game with conflict or not? Personally, love games that let me be mean to others
>>
>>53341498
What's your opinion on roll vs race for the galaxy? Which one can you get more mileage out of?
>>
>>53337051
>>53337859
The game is good, the original rulebook was utter shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170520-220733.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170520-220733.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
Is this game supposed to be hard?
>>
>>53341498
how do you dump the colection screen into a .jpg?
>>
Those who have tabletop simulator, am I able to play the games on there against AIs or do you have to play against other people?
>>
>>53348634
I don't know of any TTS games that have AI, it's multiplayer only afaik.
>>
>>53348634
>Tabletop simulator with AI opponents
Would be the product of the century.
>>
>>53348499
Full Page Screen Shot

Using Firefox? Press Shift+F2.
When the tool bar appears at the bottom of the page type in "screenshot --fullpage" without quotes followed by the name you want to give your file.
Hit enter. Voila.

Useful for capturing your entire BGG collection in one shot. (You might need to zoom out a bit - I took mine at 67% - to get more items per row.)
>>
>>53348776
>>53348850
I guess I should have known the answer to that question. Follow up, is it difficult to find an opponent or is it easy. I'm sure each game is different but on average how is it?
>>
Holy shit imperial 2030 is a looong game or we are playing it wrong because 3 hours for that game is too much
>>
A game I kickstarted released a pdf of their manual and asked for feedback yesterday so I ran it through a spellchecker and emailed them all their fuckups.

Am I an asshole for wasting their time on the most minor of bullshit while they're actually trying to wrap up development, or is presentation important?
>>
File: why not both.jpg (83KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
why not both.jpg
83KB, 400x400px
>>53349789
>Am I an asshole for wasting their time or is presentation important?
Layout issues or picture examples being wrong compared to rules (latest Warhammer Quest had this issue) would be a better critique but sure spelling/grammar is good too
>>
File: Ra replacement token.jpg (413KB, 1594x897px) Image search: [Google]
Ra replacement token.jpg
413KB, 1594x897px
I lost my '3' sun token from my Uberplay version of Ra. Made a quick replacement. I don't think anyone will notice.
>>
>>53344776
Which do you prefer, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong or Mysterium?
>>
>>53349869
I pointed out some layout issues too. They fucked up a bunch of page footers.
>>
>>53349952
Assuming they're not an established company just using KS as a pre-order service you prolly helped then. Paying interns to check that shit is low on the list, so it'd have a lot lower chance of getting fixed without some form of public beta
>>
>>53349789
It speaks about your capabilities more than theirs.
>>
>>53349721

Did you play with the investor card?

Avoid fighting too much, it drags the game down and the winner will often be one of the more neutral players anyway.

Lower playercount could make the game shorter but the game loses some negotiation aspects with less than 4 and becomes way more brutal.

Also, try limiting the power track to 20 instead.
>>
>>53350054
It's their first game as a developer.

The only thing established about the project is Ninja Division will be publishing it.
>>
>>53350100
Yup, played with the investor card. I think we'll start playing with the track to 20 thanks for the suggestion, 25 is too much , the game is slooow.
>>
>>53350159
If Ninja's doing the distribution it might've gotten fixed, depends on if they're just taking the finished product and making a cut off it in exchange for wholesaler connections of if it's a new sub-studio. Having met those guys a couple times when it was just an umbrella for their Sodapop studio I got the feeling they had good intentions to put out top shelf stuff, but sometimes things slipped through the cracks.
>>
>>53295629
>best deal
CitOW + Horned rat for $50, not in shriink, but still unpunched
>secondhand
Android: Netrunner + C&C + 6/6 Genesis Cycle + 3/6 Spin Cycle for $50 or Starcraft + Brood War + Typhon for $90
>surprising
Starcraft. Guy on ebay didn't even know the expansion was in the box.
>biggest screwjob
Still regret paying full price for Machi Koro. Friends enjoy it so, meh.
>>
File: collection.png (4MB, 1663x2579px) Image search: [Google]
collection.png
4MB, 1663x2579px
>>53341498
Just got mine up to date
>>
>>53350175

Try playing without it.
It might make the game more fun and swingy if players can take control of the active country whenever they have the money.
>>
File: 1494423002876.jpg (260KB, 553x900px) Image search: [Google]
1494423002876.jpg
260KB, 553x900px
My local shop got Tigris and Euphrates (FFG). It's pricey and I can't make up my mind based on reviews. What are your experiences with it? I would be looking to play it mostly with 3 players (total).
>>
>>53350570
It's very Knizia, so if you don't mind games that do little with their theme, it's great. I really like theme in my games though, so for me it isn't more than pretty good
>>
>>53350640
Well one of the reason I'm interested in it is because it's aesthetically pleasing. I wonder about the mechanics and replayability though. Strategic depth, what does it feel like to play it. I've even seen it compared to Kemet.
>>
>>53350673
Depends on whether you enjoy abstracts. I feel it's like playing 4-colored Go. Not exactlyy, obviously, but it feels that way.
>>
>>53350823
The game does not look abstract to me at all.
>>
>>53350860
Dude, it's a Knizia. Theme is paper-thin and almost entirely unrelated to the game itself, you could reskin it to beehives and flower fields and the game would play and feel exactly the same.
>>
>>53350860
Knizia designs trend towards the abstract for the most part; as >>53350640 put it, be aware the theme might be thin. Tigris and Euphrates is one of his best tho
>>
>>53350906
>you are now aware Art of War is a Knizia dice chucker that didn't sell when it was Risk Express
>the same base dice chuck mechanic was presented to FFG at one point and has gotten him a credit for it on Elder Sign
If the guy didn't create 400 new games a year I'd say he's lazy
>>
>>53350906
>reskin

You mean, change the theme?
>>
What does "it's a Knizia" mean? You make it sound like it's a bad thing, that he makes the same game over and over. Reviews state that Tigris is his masterpiece.
>>
>>53350986
Yeah, whatever theme you slap onto it will work the same.
Mechanics and gameplay are rock solid, T&E is a fucking masterpiece, but it is an abstract in disguise.
>>
>>53351003
It's not a bad thing, it's just how this german mathbeast rolls. It means the guy doesn't give a shit about integrating theme into gameplay but will almost always deliver a quality game regardless.
>>
>>53351086
He will literally create games and then let a publisher come to him with a theme and design pitch. Think about that. Publishers ask HIM to publish his games. He's a fucking rockstar and he knows it.
>>
>>53351003
>what does it's a Knizia mean?
Best example I can think of is Qin; game is decently balanced (not perfect if you wanted to make it a tourney game but there's ways to fix that), core mechanic is good, and it's got good art/theme topic. That said you're just laying dominoes, and it doesn't feel like you're conquering the Chinese hinterlands, it feels like you're laying dominoes for 30 minutes.

Guy's got a PhD in mathematics and he's got over 600 games published. His skill is in mechanics (though his themes are good ideas, just sometimes you see through them). He's really good at pricing/risk vs reward/auction stuff, but he'll never create anything Ameritrashy or hybridized, he's more straight euro.

>>53351141
Also this
>>
>>53335033
Got to play 3 games of it, not much to go off of but it's pretty great for a game that doesn't need a board and I don't need to fear getting destroyed. Ended one game with my whole army out and stretched to where only a couple of useless pieces could move. Opponent thought he had me cornered with half his army left to play, but then he accidentally completely a huge circle, making me free to break the long chain of units I had wherever I wanted.
>>
>>53345183
Race.

Roll is a gimmicky Race for those who don't want depth in their games.
>>
>>53349911
I like Deception a little more, but I think they're different enough to warrant owning both. Deception is more of a fun party game and Mysterium is more of a serious puzzle/competitive game.
>>
File: boardgames.jpg (1MB, 1775x2064px) Image search: [Google]
boardgames.jpg
1MB, 1775x2064px
>>53341498
Didn't know whether to exclude expansions or not. It kinda cluttered the game list, so I just put them all on the bottom.
>>
>>53350570
T&E FFG is like the worst edition. Try to find one that has wooden bits.
>>
File: Gaymez.jpg (474KB, 1920x950px) Image search: [Google]
Gaymez.jpg
474KB, 1920x950px
>>53349074
>>
>>53350570
play it online or download the app
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6MB, 1040x3642px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6MB, 1040x3642px
I saw a game based on The Crow in my FLGS - anybody know if it's any good?
>>
>>53345183
Roll & Race both obviously cover the same theme. One uses cards, the other dice. Personally I like Roll as it's easy to teach and plays out well even with beginners in the game. The expansion adds even more variety once you've really explored the content of the base game.
>>
Ok the other day I played Axis and Allies for the first time, as Japan

Holy fuck the game is hard, what do you suggest to do as Japan? I found myself constantly outgunned in the pacific and a lot of my territory was difficult to defend due to much of it being on islands!
>>
>>53351798
>>53352955
How is Armada? I've picked up the box more than once at the FLGS, but managed to resist the urge to buy it.
>>
>>53351798
How is seasons?
>>
>>53309020
Sanorini Onitama - quite obvious desu
>>
>>53353810
It's a really good game, very clever maneuvering and combat system that simulates mass and inertia.
Miniatures are great quality but sooo fucking expensive... each large capital ship costs the same as a big box game.
Resources are online so you could probably use cardboard standees to proxy the hell out of it to avoid bleeding your wallet dry.
>>
I have the chance to get a used CitoW+expansion for a good price. Is it worth it simply from a game point of view? I have a group of whfb vets that would even play a mediocre game just for the theme, but I don't want to spend money on something like that. Also do you think I can play it with people that never played anything deeper than carcasonne or catan?
>>
>>53309020
Of these I only own hive and I don't regret buying it.
>>
>>53354048
>Resources are online so you could probably use cardboard standees to proxy the hell out of it to avoid bleeding your wallet dry.

Thanks! Yeah, the $$$ is the main issue. I've already got BFG and rarely get a chance to play. I keep looking at Armada and Drop Fleet, but I can't really justify the cost at the moment.
>>
>>53354616
Hive is so good for how simple it is
>>
>>53354574
Yes to all, jump on that shit ASAP.
>>
>>53354656
Check around the star wars generals here on /tg/, I believe the pastebin has the links.
>>
>>53354855
Ok, I bought it. Don't fail me /bgg/.
>>
>>53354879
It's a fantastic game, and not that hard to grasp once you get the basic mechanics down.
It does have a bit of a learning curve, especially regarding spell interactions and strategy/counterplay for each of the factions, they all feel mechanically tied to the fluff.
I've managed to teach it successfully to non-gamers who hadn't even heard about the setting, and they did reasonably well once they understood the way each god plays.
>>
>>53354574
It's a good game. Really needs at least four people to play for it to be balanced. The WHFB guys should be able to suck up the rules pretty easily because they'll be super invested in the setting. For normies it'd be more hit and miss since it's a pretty brutal setting.
>>
>>53355015
>>53355268
That's basically what I wanted to hear. If my normie players can't get into it I'm sure I will get enough games out of it with the whfb group.
>>
>>53350365

I got in a play of Starcraft and expansion for the first time few weeks ago. I can't wait to play it again.
>>
Surprise plays of Cthulhu Realms and Cockroach Poker today, mostly because the former never gets played and the group playing the latter are relative normies that expect a request to play from. Went great though, the highlight being one player passing a card saying "a Rat that looks like a bear", and everyone after him passed and cracked up hard when they looked at the picture.

Also manage to try co-op Rune Age, which was a deckbuilder that had the neat mechanic of having small markets and your cards frequently getting sent back to the market if you fail a battle, and there are plenty of battles that you cannot win but have to fight in anyway to mitigate bad stuff. Would like to try again.
>>
File: board.jpg (276KB, 865x687px) Image search: [Google]
board.jpg
276KB, 865x687px
Is it possible to make this board any uglier? Hey, it's Dune with shit art, warped lore and furry factions!
>>
Are there any good Buddy Cop themed board games?
>>
>>53356542
So, go pay the Frank Herbert Estate a gorillion megabucks and publish the real deal then. FFG did try.
>>
File: TigrisLeaders.jpg (126KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
TigrisLeaders.jpg
126KB, 500x375px
>>53356655
>FFG did try

And boy do they try.

Honestly, I always make sure to watch a review of any FFG game just to see how much did they fuck up the art direction, be it new or a remake.
>>
Pandemic Iberia made me realize I care a great deal about a theme because there's no reason why I would not take it compared to inferior vanilla Pandemic and/or Cthulhu. Heck, I've seen reviews state that Iberia has more content than Pandemic + On The Brink. But the theme simply leaves me cold.

Anyway, is Fury of Dracula just a meme or an actually good and varied game?
>>
Been to the usual gathering with friends.

I played the Star Wars 2P card game. Was okay at first but found it a bit annoying due to the amount of rules and I got bored halfway through. Lost anyway because I went retardedly offensive despite playing the Empire.

Then they managed to make me play Miniville.
Oh god what a tripe. This has to be one of the worst games I've ever played. I'll take stupid dice game any day over this Monopoly-variant. Because let's be honest, it's overall the same shit as Monopoly. Jesus Christ, how shit this game is.
>>
Since Twin Peaks starts tonight (four episodes right off the bat), how soon will FFG shit out a Cluedo TP clone?
>>
>>53356542
Oh, you did NOT just diss space turtles.

But yeah, the board could be a little prettier.
>>
>>53357202
That portal design makes city quarters completely divorced from the map 'underneath'. Just horrible. Would not buy the game because it's so ugly even if it was really good.
>>
>>53356754
Aside from the inexcusable price hike to $60, FFG's T&E is not too bad. Wood is classier tho.
What they did to Ra on the other hand is atrocious.
>>
>>53357279
Yeah honestly I'd get it but I'm poor and I don't like being swindled that much. Game looks like it should be like 30 euros worth component wise.
>>
>>53353810
Armada is great mechanically. They really make it feel like big ships and there's so many viable strategies as far as lists go. It is however very expensive for how niche it's going to be. I have a group that meets on Tuesdays and a roommate that plays it, so I can justify it, but most aren't going to want to learn the complicated rules and sit down with the 1.5-2 hour playtime.

>>53353988
I love it. I can't say it's revolutionary or anything, but it's a solid mix of mechanics with some good potential for combos. Some don't like the dice randomness, but there's a decent number of ways to mitigate it. I'm pretty sure I get mana screwed less in this than I do MtG. Only time its fallen flat for me was when I was playing a simple game and almost nothing hit the board that interacted with other players.
>>
>>53356884
Closer to the meme part of the scale I'd say, it's fun, the chase itself is plenty entertaining and combat whenever it can happen is pretty tense, but it has too many bells and whistles and takes way too long. Maybe I need to test other hidden movement games to make a proper comparison, but ~2 hours even after shortening it to the final week is pretty inexcusable for the amount of stuff you do.
>>
>>53357349
>>53357349
Yeah, it seems that way not to mention it's another of those ovepriced games.
>>
>>53357144
FFG doesn't do shitty clones of Hasbro, and besides Asmodee wants to get bought out by them someday so they wouldn't let it happen because it'd piss them off

Besides, Lynch wouldn't do that to us, he wouldn't sell them the license to just make a quick buck rather than be sure he's creating something good, after we had to wait all this time for s3 please no.
I think I'm gonna go curl into a ball and cry now for the image you just dropped into my head.
>>
>>53357389
It does have a reasonable amount of stuff + it's going out of print, so that's understandable. To not be completely negative about it though, I haven't not enjoyed any of my plays with it so far, and the many bits and pieces do serve to conjure as much moments of surprises and excitement as it does frustration, not to mention if you've read the original Bram Stoker's Dracula novel, the parallels and similarity is striking . If it's just the thrill of the chase one would be looking for though, it might be a good idea to look at "purer" hidden movement games like Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space or Letters from Whitechapel before Fury of Dracula.
>>
File: pic1619241_md.jpg (81KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1619241_md.jpg
81KB, 375x500px
How does this mess get such rave reviews? Look at it! It screams bad design. Should be called Component Shower.
>>
File: Ck9ku0WXAAAVmnj[1].jpg (270KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Ck9ku0WXAAAVmnj[1].jpg
270KB, 1200x900px
>>53359300
>bumping with low effort bait
a bump's a bump I guess

At least it's not Yokohama. Total clusterfuck design if I ever saw one.
>>
>>53359533
Not baiting, I did not play the game but I've watched several reviews, it's a horrid mess of components and severely limits strategy through race traits. It's just an endless stream of geometric shapes of various sizes and counting their victory point value over and over, measuring the field size, indescribably ugly while being completely unreadable from any angle. It's like French Continental Philosophy: the game.

>>53359533
This looks interesting. Very clear when you move your eye around and everything looks like those scratch-to-win luck tokens you buy at your local news stand.
>>
>>53359533
That looks just like Le Havre and Istanbul had a kid that spent his entire teenage years high on bath salts.
>>
>>53359627
>It's like French Continental Philosophy: the game.
Don't knock it till you tried it.
>>
>>53360055
I'd try it if it wasn't ludicrously expensive as well.
>>
>since the new OP didn't link it
>>53358882
>>53358882
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.