[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 12

File: Dark Heresy Doom.jpg (70KB, 409x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Heresy Doom.jpg
70KB, 409x400px
"Primaris Marines Are Tearing Us Apart" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: >>53203553

Is your favorite homebrew chapter or regiment on the Dark Imperium side of the galaxy? How will this affect their outlook and ability to serve the Emperor?
>>
>>53291687
>Is your favorite homebrew chapter or regiment on the Dark Imperium side of the galaxy?
No.
Is there any reason to not get a force weapon if you are a psyker?
>>
>>53291726
Energy damage can make thing explode while you are in range.
>>
>>53291726

can force weapons be broken by power fields?
>>
>>53291892
No.
>>53291876
I thought E damage made things set on fire.
>>
>>53291940
The last result in the E body crit chart can explode things which you might get to due to the whole 'channeling killing will' thing doing d10s of damage ignoring armor and toughness.
>>
>>53291687
TO CONTINUE MY EARLIER QUESTIONING:

ROGUE TRADER GM RUNNING FOR A GROUP OF IDIOTS WHO WANTED A UNIVERSE CLASS MASS CONVEYER AS THEIR FIRST SHIP.

PERSONALITY:
STOIC
HISTORY:
USED TO BE IN A SPACEHULK

WHAT QUIRKS, ODDITITIES ETC SHOULD I CHUCK INTO THIS BADBOY? FOR CONTEXT THE FUCKING THING IS A 12KM LONG UBER TRANSPORT THAT'S AS CAPABLE IN COMBAT AS A VERY LETHARGIC DONKEY.
>>
>>53292094
>Used to be a spacehulk
>WHAT QUIRKS, ODDITITIES ETC SHOULD I CHUCK INTO THIS BADBOY?
Are you really asking that question when it already has the answer?
>>
>>53291687
>"Primaris Marines Are Tearing Us Apart" Edition
Divisive retcons and the badwrongfluff police are what's tearing us apart.

>Is your favorite homebrew chapter or regiment on the Dark Imperium side of the galaxy?
Yes

>How will this affect their outlook and ability to serve the Emperor?
Religious fervor dialed to 11, unleashed upon the citizenry who clearly have been so faithless as to incur the Emperor's wraith on half the galaxy.
>>
>>53292094
Greasers and Socs having a turf war. Stay golden pony boy.
>>
>>53292274
You know shit's about to go down with a mob of crewmen come out of the shadows rhythmically snapping their fingers
>>
>>53292094
The ship's response to any kind of major body work should be "I'm too *insert favored descriptive here* for this shit".
It's old, it's tired, it's been around the block repeatedly, and this new group of dummies is trying to fuck up what was a nice, quiet deal.
Also, something is in the lower decks. Something bad, anon.
It's an Alien style xenomorph, the one that can turn people into facehugger eggs, is immune to most small arms and is only driven back by fire, and becomes more intelligent the more it kills, even being able to mimic voices and languages
They want HEAVEN OR HELL mode? Give it.
>>
>>53292094
The thing is possessed and constantly tries to sabotage warp travel any time they transport living souls as cargo

No amount of fiddling with the ship will ever fix this, it's been warp exposed
>>
Hey, /40kRPG/, I'm trying to track down an old /tg/ reaction image featuring a Farseer protecting a box labeled something like "Box of secrets - do not touch" and a Guardsman insisting they can help him if he gives them the secrets. My friends and I reference it constantly, but I can't find the actual pic.
>>
>actually asking the right thread this time

Are there rules for tyranid ships in any of the rogue trader books? Failing that, homebrew?
>>
>>53293602
doesn't ring any bells, sorry.
>>
>>53293602
I know what you're talking about, but I never saved it and haven't seen it for a while.

>>53293686
No and not that I know of.
>>
>>53292094
Used to be used by the inquisition. There's a cryo-pod with an Eversor assassin stuck in it. It's power supply is irregular at best and it's just a matter of time before the crazed assassin runs amok. Other fun items to find could include proscribed texts and the body of an inquisitor somewhere with some valuable secrets.

Most of the lower decks are unexplored. Some mutants and Xenos live deep within the under decks. These have survived centuries within a space hulk and are slightly unhinged.

A tiny star ship is hidden within the under decks after merging with the ship in the warp. Obviously of Xenos make, the ship is currently engaging in self-repair protocols and is sending out drones to strip parts from the rest of the ship to repair itself. Needless to say, if the ship activates it will most likely do major damage to the ship.
>>
>>53293686
homebrew whatever you want, you literally can't go wrong, it just gets chalked down to "biodiversity"

By canon in space they use lots of ram ships, viva la Orks.

Capital ships have MASSIVE drone swarms that shoot down enemy fighter craft and then attempt to completely "cocoon" anything fighting against them, blocking all view ports, eating the antenna off, jamming the torpedo tubes and any hangar bay doors,clogging macro cannons (seriously) etc. before the capitals either finish you off with broadsides or board you with mounds of warriors and gaunts to strip you of even THAT biomass, or they just use the "drone" ships to ram you to death.
>>
>>53291687

Yes.

>How will this affect their outlook and ability to serve the Emperor?
They were already under strength, and with no ability to get supplies or see the astronomican anymore, RIP my guardsmen.
>>

Yeah, just fashion all the dialogue like that one picture from an old /tg/ thread that compared the Emperor and his faith to modern religions.

>we are Humanity, the Chosen Species
>perfect in form, perfect in mind, perfect in soul
>individually our will may be frail, but together, as one, we are indomitable
>the stars are our destiny, this was His Word
>Imperator Vult
>IMPERATOR FUCKING VULT
>>
File: RT_Merchant_Prince.jpg (43KB, 268x576px) Image search: [Google]
RT_Merchant_Prince.jpg
43KB, 268x576px
>>53299735
Derp, meant to turn that number into a quote
>>53287717
>>
File: ave.png (237KB, 790x1700px) Image search: [Google]
ave.png
237KB, 790x1700px
>>53299735
This one!
>>
>>53292094
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Occurrence_Border_Random_Encounters

Look through this. If you're not up to speed on the All Guardsmen Party, some of it might go over your head.
>>
>>53292460
So a genestealer patriarch?
>>
>>53300601
I strongly endorse this.

>>53292094
There's a Shitty Spaceship Quirk thread in suptg, go check it out for ideas.
>>
>>53302659
I think it's some sort of a cross of a Zoanthrope and a Predalien Queen from that description actually...
>>
So, are GW retarded when it comes to realising how fucking big space is? Take the Tau for example with their near-lightspeed drives, does GW not realise that with a Sub-light drive system you cant call for backup to a warzone in a different star system in any timeframe which is going to make a damn bit of difference?

Oh, invaded by bugs are you? We'll send reinforcements immediately, they'll get there in about 9 years, just hold out.

There's a mention of them in the Tyranid Codex, where they fall back from one 'nid overun planet to another in a separate system, the Tyranids are described as making the journey in a couple of weeks, the Tau apparently somehow managed to make the trip a few days faster, because their "Horizon" near-lightspeed drives aren't affected by the shadow in the warp of the 'Nid presence.
>>
>>53306063
GW has always had horrendous difficulties appreciating scale.
>>
You know the way the emperor has just been sitting on his golden Lazyboy for 10 Millennia....has no-one taken it upon themselves to figure out what makes him so awesome in all that time?

Its not like he can say no is it? I mean like if your grandad goes into a coma while he's terminally ill, the hospital staff ask you if you want to bother keeping the old codger going. Why has no-one hacked of a foot or something so they can analyse it and figure out what makes him so cool?
>>
>>53306619
>has no-one taken it upon themselves to figure out what makes him so awesome in all that time?

That would be like asking to dissect the Shroud of Turin or breaking into the Ethiopian Ark of the Covenant. Sacrilegious and you'd break it.
>>
Hey guys. I'm going to be running the Broken Chains module pretty soon with three players. One of them is a heretek with a bunch of medical skills, the other an apostate that pretty much only took social skills, and I'm not sure what the third will be yet. Do you have any advice for someone who's never ran BC before? Is it my place to suggest that the third player run a combat heavy character?
>>
>>53307207
Don't mix Marines and mortals.
>>
>>53306619
"Why hasn't anybody looked under the shroud of the islamcube at mecca? It's not like it can say no."
>>
>>53308121
You can't just answer a legitimate question with another legitimate question.
>>
>>53308204

But people look under the Kaaba all the time. It doesn't change the fact though that poking the Emperor is turboheresy of a galactic order.
>>
>>53308121
>"Why hasn't anybody looked under the shroud of the islamcube at mecca? It's not like it can say no."

But they have, Saudi Royal family is allowed inside and guests. Looks like a throwback 1970's public toilet inside, very uninspiring.

Wobble-cam version:
https://youtu.be/OTr1HGFcsbE
Sorry the quality isnt great, obviously he's not supposed to be filming in there, and the Saudi's arent known for being especially forgiving.

There's nothing in there particularly holy, the black stone is on the outside, inside is just considered to be a particularly holy house of God, similar to a the Aron Kodesh in a Synagogue.
>>
>>53306619
Because he's the centre of a mighty archaeotech and warptech network keeping the Astronomicon, Webway-wards and Emperor-knows what else running and stable, and nobody knows if disturbing him could cause the whole thing to break down, or if it would make him angry considering most believe this was all just as planned. He's canonically sitting on one of the most important things keeping the entire galaxy together and accidentally impeding its efficiency, even by a small percentage, would doom sectors.
>>
>>53308121
He is guarded by the Custodes if you even try to approach him with a saw from the front doors theyre going to kill you within a heartbeat.
>>
>>53306619
>>53308121
>>53309242
Dangnabbit I responded to the wrong one
>>
Would a rogue trader crew know anything about necrons? I'm assuming not, but I'm not as up on 40k lore as I could be.
>>
>>53306619
>scientific methods
>in 40k
>>
>>53309730
Not typically, but you never know what kind of esoteric lore they might stumble upon.
>>
Would it break the game if best craftsmanship components that don't use either space or power, such as Augmented Retro-Thrusters or Armored Prows were -2 to the stat they actually use?

Similarly, would broadside versions of the Stygies and Pyros cannons be overpowered? Based on the Mars cannons and broadsides, I was thinking something like 5 Strength and 6 Space.
>>
>>53306063
The Tau skim the warp instead of submerging entirely like human ships.

It's slower by an order of magnitudes in most cases, but it is warp travel
>>
>>53307207
anything that sounds broken in games terms isn't

it just turns you into a mindless chaos spawn
>>
>>53310513
The 6e Tau codex retconned that. In the current canon, the second sphere expansion was achieved with "near-light speed" and then the third sphere had engines that could achieve speeds the Tau once thought impossible.
Though the 7e codex names the ZFR drives (the near-light speed ones) as the driving force behind the 3rd.
Part of why I think people who insist on enforcing every retcon are ridiculous. But I suppose "hitherto unthinkable velocities" could mean warp travel. But it still leaves the 2nd having been done slower than light-speed.
>>
>>53309730
They're commonly mistaken for wondrous human AI or Men of Iron, so much so people invite them onto their ships and they murder everyone.

If they run into them infesting a planet I'd imagine their understanding would be a bit deeper.

The Great Crusade ran into them iirc, and they've had minor incursions into the Imperium for at least the last 10,000 years, just not the mass awakening you see in the current 40k timeline when they're everywhere killing everything
>>
>>53310867
>They're commonly mistaken for wondrous human AI or Men of Iron, so much so people invite them onto their ships
>Hey, they look like Abominable Intelligences, specifically the ones that, according to ancient legend, just about destroyed humanity. Let's invite them on board.
People do this?
>>
>>53310902
>if we bring this thing back alive it's probably worth like, a trillion thrones

yep
>>
>>53310721

And you can fuck right off with your nucanon.
>>
File: 1378239034257.png (47KB, 144x135px) Image search: [Google]
1378239034257.png
47KB, 144x135px
>>53310968
>Part of why I think people who insist on enforcing every retcon are ridiculous.
>fuck off with my nucanon
K.
>>
Dumb newbie question (Deathwatch Edition, we changed games): If you combine the Iron Hands Recoil Baffling item from First Founding with a Deathwatch Suspensor would that let you aim, move and full auto burst? Recoil baffling lets you make a half move while shooting, so the way I read that is that the move is part of the shooting action. Suspensors make full auto burst a half action, so then you'd have a half action that lets you both move and full-auto.

Or am I missing something, like a limit on weapon upgrades?
>>
So, running my first story of DH2 as a DM currently, things are going fine, but one thing is bothering me.

The combat seem more forgiving then I remember from DH1. I have a combat character flatout know that "don't worry, I'll soak that shotgun to the back while doing 17+ dmg with my great sword" and it anoys the hell out of me that he can get away with it.

The problem is, if I bring a bigger threat to the table, I risk absolutely trashing the members of the group that are more rounded, any ideas how to take the combat smug down a peck?
>>
>>53311873

Split the enemies up. Have trash enemies go for the wounded one, and one large one, tuned for the combat guy, to face. That way everyone's engaged at different enemies.

Or just make them fight necrons, that works too.
>>
>>53311873
warp tainted iron in the shotgun shells - if they don't kill they're literally designed to cause corruption points
enemies with man catchers
flame weapons
landmines
daemonettes
upgrading that shotgun to a heretek automatic grenade launcher that s/3/6 filled with taint from under nurgle's balls
putting a curse on the guy that causes his close combat weapon to constantly break for no reason
killing him off with a wych cult
>>
File: Iron Hands Devastator.pdf (331KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Hands Devastator.pdf
331KB, 1x1px
>>53311779
Also, here's my char sheet if anyone cares to check and see if I made any obvious mistakes. Our GM gave us an extra 750 starting XP which is why I have the extra progression (so 1750 total starting XP).

I put stuff I'm thinking of requisitioning marked with a hyphen and starting special ability in psy powers just to simplify things. Also, I put the armor from The Flesh Is Weak on the armor thing so I don't forget it but I left the power armor history bonus off for now (so BS would be 69 with it included).

And, yeah, I did roll a little hot on the stats, I promise they're legit. My reroll was from an 11 to an 11 so at least there's that.
>>
>>53311779
personally I'd allow it, sounds like the exact perk the iron hands would get, just get yourself a shiny bionic eye and if the DM tries to argue shout I'M ROLEPLAYING at him

but seriously everything is subject to the DMs decision/discretion, even if that is what the book intended, and it sounds like it is.

I mean in the end you get what, a half move and a full auto shot at +10 modifier?

Doesn't sound anywhere near as broken as a Tzeenchian Chaos Sorcerer Marine
>>
>>53312468
thanks. I had another general question about modifiers and degrees of success. it seems like it's not terribly hard to get the target roll well over 100 if the base skill is high enough; would that mean you get automatic degrees of success just for not jamming? for example, if you had a ballistic skill of 80, fired full auto and aimed you'd bed at 110. as long as you don't roll above 94+ that's not a jam, and would be at least one extra degree of success, right?
>>
>>53312925

Yeah. It's why Deathwatch can get kind of silly sometimes.
>>
>>53313094
I guess the solution is for the DM to make sure that there's plenty of ambient penalties going on?
>>
>>53313165

Yes, but that only works to a point. Deathwatch stats start at 30+2d10, and can be increased further. Early game, penalties are concerning. Late game, thanks to gear, solo modes, and unnatural bonuses, you are ignoring a majority of penalties, and stacking numbers ridiculously high to offset the rest, that penalties become irrelevant. Stat inflation is so high that the game rapidly becomes rocket tag or cake walk, with little in between.
>>
>>53313194
I see. Well, we opted to start out with Deathwatch as our first foray into 40k RPG partly because of the simplicity and combat focus compared to the rest. Also, not everyone in the group is super familiar with 40k and SPESS MUHREENS vs vile xenos is a lot easier to explain than the complexities of Hive World politics. Once people are more familiar with the setting and the system we'll probably switch to Dark Heresy.
>>
>>53313230

Deathwatch is great for that sort of game, yes, but it slows down considerably when you start stacking so many bonuses from armor, gear, squad and solo modes, it becomes a chore to book-keep. There are a lot of interesting things you can do with the system, like Legionary callbacks, but overall the game can be kind of a headache at times.

Just remember to use the errata, and that solves about 60% of the initial problems with the system.
>>
>>53313268
Yeah, I've already been looking around to address some of the issues, like how they basically handwave ammo and carrying capacity with no real rules system at all. I haven't read through the errata fully yet but I have everything at least.
>>
>>53308074
this. so much this. I'd recommend Human Psyker if they plan on doing many warp rituals/general fuckery, Renegade if they don't
>>
>>53307207
>Do you have any advice for someone who's never ran BC before?

Toss out the alignment bullshit.
>>
>>53313860
I agree with this guy to an extent. Keep the different costs for skills/talents based on alignment, but allow players' actions (rather than xp expenditure) determine their alignment
>>
I'm joining a new RP group and one of the guys want to run Dark Heresy 2e for his friends.
apart from the GM and me, neither of them are well-versed in 40k fluff, so I thought I should make a character that could guide the party and explain stuff along the way.

I never played Dark Heresy before. what kind of character can you make with the new system that would fit the bill? I thought about something like and inquisitorial storm trooper, but I'm open to ideas.

any suggestions?
>>
File: LORE How primitive.png (153KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
LORE How primitive.png
153KB, 300x300px
>>53313918

If you're the only one who knows stuff, either an Administratum or remembrancer-esque Lore Guy (Seeker?), so you can give thoughts about everything from the Great Crusade to the Indomitus Crusade as needed.
>>
>>53291726
No but they're boring to play with.

"Oh hey, I have a force weapon. Guess I'll never use anything else ever again.
>>
>>53314012
I wonder how the Warp gates would effect the whole Dark Imperium thing.
>>
>>53313918
A savant, basically folks attached to an Inquisitor that write down everything/just have incredible memories and remember everything.
You can get by the low stat line claiming to have been the Undersavant, keeping an Inquisitor's Library in order while other characters did the real adventuring and now you're on the loose to save mankind or something. Roll yourself up as at least 100 years old +, maybe even 1,000

You could also play a Psyker that has some sort of weird ability to explain everything, Grey Knights and the entire Ordo Malleus employ psykers of that general brand to a great extent. May sound hokey but they're basically canon
>>
Okay guys,

I've got a game in 16 hours and I need to write some things for it, and I need some help.

The game is dark heresy 1e, and the inquisitor is having them investigate disappearances on Sinophia, particularly industrial workers.

I know what I want to happen, but I'm bad at writing character lines. Basically the group is following an acolyte to meet an astropath working for the Inquisitor, who will give them further briefing on the job before they investigate the work sites.
>>
>>53315207
Are any of them a handsome, witty tech priest? If so, consider giving him a giant pile of thrones and gear. This will help a lot.
>>
>>53315337
Jant is that you?
>>
I'm putting my friends up against some crazy chaos sorcerer who's experimenting with making chaos orcs/tyranids

would that be impossible fluffwise?
>>
>>53315907
>would that be impossible fluffwise?
I don't see why it would. my BL submission at their last short story free submit followed that premise. A deathwatch killteam being sent to clean up a failed experiment to use cybernetics to take control of the nids; and to recover the research... I suspect Black Library wanted more generic-ness from free submits.
>>
>>53314693

Koronus sector is probably fucked because the Jericho Reach got erased when the Hadex Anomaly expanded, into the Rift, and one of the warp gates was in Jericho.
>>
So I'm about to run a Dark Heresy 2e session that is entirely focused on the group being part of a boarding party attacking a Chaos vessel.

What cool/interesting things can I add that will spice up a session that is mainly going to be corridor and room fighting?

I've got 5 Acolytes boarding with a Deathwatch Space Marine, and I plan at some point for the 'artificial gravity' to be disabled for a few rounds.
>>
File: 1275174753739.jpg (344KB, 783x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1275174753739.jpg
344KB, 783x1200px
>>53317313
Look at the Occurrence Border tables linked earlier and come up with more impressive shenanigans on a chaos vessel than mechanical malfunction please.
>>
>>53311779
I like this combo. Y'did gud, sun.
>>
My group decided to put our main DnD quest on hold during the summer since one member is out of town for his sunmer job. When we were discussing which system to play during the pause, I half jokingy suggested Dark Heresy.
The only other guy (our DM) who knows what WH40k is, was very into the idea, and the rest didn't have any better suggestion, so grimdark it is. DM decided to play a character this time, so I am supposed to GM the quest. We mostly decided on characters on that meetup.
I'm having two problems here. First, none of ever played Dark Heresy, or even read the rulebooks before. Second is, I never GMed. I don't know how closely I need to know the rules, which of the books to read,whether I need to read them whole, how to run encounters and so on.
Are any of you willing to give me some Dark Heresy 2nd edition specific hints?
>>
>>53320455
If this is going to be your first 40k rpg game from DnD, use Only War.
>>
>>53310968
Hang yourself grognard
>>
I have a question elegan/tg/entelmen. Whats the best, optimal amount of experience points to give out to players in DH2? I want them to advance slowly, but not too slow and I dont want them to blob up too fast.
>>
>>53320455
Read the rulebooks and then ask questions, m'kay?
>>
>>53321076
I'm asking which ones. Corebook, GMs book, what else?
>>
>>53321104
If its your first time and the groups first time just use corebook and gms book. Make handouts of actions in an fight, modifiers, cover armour points etc.
>>
>>53321141
Thank you, this is the kind od advice I was looking for!
>>
>>53321161
Dont be afraid to use premade scenario especially if its your first time. Remember you can modify and tweak them, you dont need to go by the book.
>>
>>53321176
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about too. Putting a Redeemer spin on a pre made scenario.
>>
>>53320455
You only need the corebook. For your die rolls you'll only ever be rolling two types of die. A d100 or a d10 for a damage roll. You roll to hit the same way you roll to cast a psychic power as the same way you roll to sneak past a sentry. Your damage roll is always a d10+weapon bonuses or your strength bonus if it's melee.

The biggest part of any 40kgame is skill modifiers. Most games by default have characters will Stats in the 30/40 range, giving the immediate impression that you'll only be succeeding in 30/40% of all your rolls. This is where modifiers come in. They range from +60 to -60 and they're situational. Hacking into a mainframe with high security gives you a negative modifier, perhaps -30, while deactivating or looping a camera feed is considerably easier and might give you +20. The GM doesn't determine a Target Number like in DnD, only the difficulty modifier of the task. Modifiers also stack, some items can give you positive modifiers for example. And in combat, things like fire rates can modify, as well as the range you're firing at. All these things stack, and you'll need to to stand a chance. Otherwise every combat becomes a Naked Gun sketch and everybody is hilariously incompetent. The hardest bit for a new GM is remembering to apply these modifiers, the book has some rough tables to copy that you should use as guidelines.

And also for chargen, everybody has the 'General' aptitude. This has my group stumped for a good few weeks.
>>
>>53321388
Thank you, this helps.
>>
>>53321427
That's pretty much what we're here for. I'd advise against using the adventure provided in DH2 corebook, it pits the PCs (just beginners) against a Demonhost, and those are catastrophically powerful.
>>
>>53320698
>>53310968
I wish you both would neck yourselves.
>>
File: image.gif (891KB, 325x252px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
891KB, 325x252px
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/19/try-something-different-licensed-products-at-warhammer-fest/
>>>>Discover the future of Games Workshop related table-top roleplay games.

Panic time?
>>
>>53322309
There's too much panic time going on right now. How about we wait till something actually happens. Absolute worst case scenario we just split in ffg general and GW general. That's not actually the worst case, but I don't really want to ponder this thread ending up like the rest of 40k /tg/ right now
>>
>>53322350
Your feared worst case in the most probable. Even if we did split, anons from elsewhere on /tg/ would bitch and moan about there being two 40krpg generals and render the threads unusable until we stopped. Then, in the united general, someone will inevitably say "I like the FFG/GW system more" which will inevitably result in some faggot screeching "GROGNARDS/NUCANON GET OUT REEEE". Rendering every thread in perpetuity unusable as autists try to win a battle that can't be won. Rational discussion and live and let live is for suckas and normies. A little bit of panic time might be justified.
>>
File: jump at screen and scream.png (7KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
jump at screen and scream.png
7KB, 250x242px
>>53322590

There's three ways it could really go.

1) DH1 was originally a GW in house production under Black Industries. Things continue on as normal.

2) New licensee, new system. Nero plays the fiddle as the Titanic sinks, and nobody will agree on which is best.

3) Inquisitor: The Second Coming.
>>
>>53315907
while they're alive there's a lot of fluff that basically -claims- it's impossible because of their warp gods and their impressive telepathic "group think" or gestalt. HOWEVER

1. even if it were "impossible" (kind of kills the idea of chaos as the BBEG when you point at anything other than the Grey Knights shouting LOL IMMUNE!) there is -probably- a chaos ritual (or several hundred billion all in one book) SOMEWHERE that involves summoning something terrible straight up their anus after they're dead

2. A large portion of Chaos' potency comes from Warp Taint. Their ENTIRE MO is basically corrupting the living crap out of whatever is coming at them and throwing it back in the face of the freight train now gibbering and crapping lighting bolts and fire rain straight out the warp everywhere. If they eat Papa Nurgle's magical mystery pie of terrible smelling fungus, I'd like to think they're going to rot from the inside out one way or another.

3. The idea of a bunch of Nids/Orks seiging a massive Chaos-held line or fortress or what not and the one's in the lead keep turning around all Chaos-y and corrupt to slaughter their former comrades sounds... awesome, so there's that. Literally how is there NOT a Chaos Spell that does that?

4. Even if it has apparently NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE EVER, that's still not a no, the End Times are coming and if it's not raining men - er, crazy stuff, it's just not crazy enough
>>
>>53315907
Chaos Orkz already exist.
Chaos Tyranids only appeared in Storm of Iron where the Iron Warriors used a techno-virus and some kind of sorcery to cut off a small hive ship from the hive mind and then hijack its mind.

I think they may have just used it to transport Titans though, I don't remember if any actual Tyranids came with it.
>>
>Is your favorite homebrew chapter or regiment on the Dark Imperium side of the galaxy? How will this affect their outlook and ability to serve the Emperor?

Eh? What's that? New fluff and stuff? Haven't really been keeping tabs on new fluff, asides from seeing that thread about primaris marines or something (which seems a weird name considering primaris psykers are a thing).
>>
>>53317313
Instead of a massive army of servitors everything is run by Daemons with their heads and arms locked inside machines and their bums hanging out the back

The place is entirely adimensional on a Macro scale. Corridor is straight, you walk 100 meters down it, is comes out of an intersection 90 meters back down the same straight corridor, no explanation given

Lesser Daemons don't stop at Nurglings, you can have entire swarms of Chaos insects etc

What do they eat?
What does it look like when it comes out?
What do they do with it then? Hint: I doubt the answer is flush it down the loo

Warp-fueled warp sentry guns are imo a must

Summoning Pits. Everyone loves Daemonettes (they really don't, they're kind of OP last I checked... yep, just use them to apply the willpower debuff and have a sorceress spam mental domination/seduction majick at them that you literally can just make up and requires a willpower test to resist. Fail? You attack your friends, whoops!)

Remember the entire thing should be full of warp taint. You may never be able to wash it off, literally, you may need to burn your suits but the smoke may taint the boat, maybe best to put them down the garbage chute directly into the plasma reactor, but that might taint your plasma reactor, maybe best just to throw them out the airlock? Also playing with the rules for sealed environmental gear may be fun, get a tear in your suit from getting shot? You now have a warp toenail fungus. On your face. Yay.

A daemonhost captain can be fun, got to be careful with the unbound kind however, they tend to be a little... game breaking when you get into the raw fluff of what they're capable of, especially if there's something really mean in there.

The sky is kind of the limit. You could literally have every surface of the hallways covered in razor-sharp power nails/spikes that don't affect the chaos crew because they're literally gelatinous. In fact, they think it feels good. Like a foot massage.
>>
>>53315907
Daemons can possess inanimate objects, they certainly can possess anything alive.

>>53322590
/swg/ manages to keep it civil despite having 3 lines of rpgs from different editors, and various other kinds of games.
We'll be fine, as long as the new rpg doesn't attract a bunch of retards from the 40k general.
>>
>>53320475
Don't listen to this clown. Play Dark heresy first edition, it has the classes all lined out.
>>
>>53325382
>We'll be fine, as long as the new rpg doesn't attract a bunch of retards from the 40k general.
They're already leaking in without new rpgs. They've even derailed this general a few times in the past week.
>>
Anyone got the drop troopers and the subsector homebrews? I don't find them in the mega.

>>53325426
That's the usual, but most of the time they don't stay since they don't reach critical mass.
>>
>>53325677
>first one is Nurgle in a nutsheel
>second is Tzeench
>third is Khorne
>fourth is Slaanesh
>five is chaos undivided with the Iron Warriors.
>>
>>53325422
What's the difference between 1st and 2nd edition anyways? And how easy is it to switch things between them?
>>
Man-portable autocanon is still OP. The rest is just details.
>>
>>53326064
Around Black Crusade, FFG changed up how character progression and the unnatural traits worked (there were other changes too, but those are the most immediately noticeable)'
DH2e, and Only War are both modeled on the BC system.

All the systems are still pretty easily cross-compatible, but it becomes a bit harder merging pre- and post-BC systems.
>>
>>53323060
>1) DH1 was originally a GW in house production under Black Industries. Things continue on as normal.
I would jizz myself if this happened. Rules I can continue to merge into my games with little hassle? Yes please.

>New licensee, new system.
My biggest concern with this, with GW's most boneheaded retcon that affects mechanics is the "Sorcery and Psychic Power are the same" thing Ok, second most, after "No Chaos Undivided except Abaddon, buy Bela'kor plox XD". I'd like to see separate sorcery and psychic mechanics in a new system, but I doubt we will. Whereas it's still fully in FFG.
>>
I'm making my first Dark Heresy character, and on the character sheet there are entries for "divination" and "tarot". What are those?
>>
>>53327421
Tarot is an out of character thing, I think it's a printout somewhere. Divinations are the chart towards the end of the character creation chapter, you roll a d100 and it slightly modifies your character.
>>
Any world maps/continents maps to base games on?
>>
>>53326801
I loved the distinction b/t psychic powers and sorcery in 1e. One of my favorite characters was a Calixian Malatek sorceror (this was in a Radical party). 'Twas great fun
>>
>>53328247

People have made sectors before.
>>
>>53328247
Might I suggest taking a look at this site?

http://donjon.bin.sh/
>>
>>53330776
Black Crusade has a pretty good system too, but sometimes it feels a bit unimaginative, especially compared to the giant laundry list of psychic powers you can find across systems.
>>
>>53331305
Agreed. But I think if it had a similar run to any of the other 1e systems, it would have more variety in powers.
>>
>>53324719

Oh sweet summer child, you have no idea...
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.