[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 380
Thread images: 35

File: Zuggtmoy & Juiblex.jpg (1MB, 1920x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Zuggtmoy & Juiblex.jpg
1MB, 1920x1160px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/...
>>53193065
>>
>New game starting
>Everyone wants to play fighters or warlocks or barbarians
>Nobody wants to be a wizard or a cleric
This is going to be a very tough campaign.
>>
File: 1490986360785.jpg (15KB, 560x448px) Image search: [Google]
1490986360785.jpg
15KB, 560x448px
Alright lads question time:
>What are some of the things you like about 5e or that it does well]

>What are some improvements you'd like to see or have already implemented in your own games?
>>
File: 23_Zuggtmoy1[1].jpg (48KB, 325x600px) Image search: [Google]
23_Zuggtmoy1[1].jpg
48KB, 325x600px
>>53200740
>Zuggtmoy
>qt
>>
>>53200777
If everybody becomes a warlock, there's some great synergy there.
>>
File: QMan_FF_Legacy_556_Green_Death.jpg (471KB, 1086x1400px) Image search: [Google]
QMan_FF_Legacy_556_Green_Death.jpg
471KB, 1086x1400px
>>53200777
I think you mean it's going to be an awesome sword & sorcery campaign.
>>
>>53200548
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Epic_magic
>>
File: Darkling-1.png (243KB, 547x800px) Image search: [Google]
Darkling-1.png
243KB, 547x800px
If I'm a Darkling Elder, and I cast Darkness and have a high Stealth skill, what are the mechanics that I can dick around with? Does it allow me to hide during combat? Can I sneak attack others with advantage, because they also get bonus to their attack when they get advantage. I'm just a little fuzzy on the stealth and stealth attack mechanics when they are combined with spells like Darkness and Fog.
>>
Why the hell does Padded Armor impose disadvantage on stealth checks, whereas a chain shirt doesnt?

It's not like the padded jacket is made of plastic or vinly and is gonna squeak when you walk.

Chain shirt is gonna jingle since it's not chain mail, which has padding underneath and is strapped into place.
>>
>>53200849
A really short one too, once we meet a roper or a wyvern, and it starts one-shotting us due to nobody casting a control spell on it.
>>
>>53200898
None of the armour makes sense anyway. What the hell is studded leather?

It's basically fantasy stuff, it's not really supposed to make sense.
>>
>>53200647
Faerun I suppose? My DM's letting me make up my country though, provided I give enough backstory. We're playing Curse of Strahd, so where we start doesn't seem so vital.
>>
File: 1493241771811.jpg (97KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493241771811.jpg
97KB, 640x480px
>>53200905
>He's such a scrub that he can't handle a roper without a control spell on it

Inb4 I was merely pretending to be retarded
>>
>>53200886
You need to take the hide action, doesn't matter if the enemy can't even see you because you have invisibility, they can still hear you, and will know where you are
>>
>>53200907
>What the hell is studded leather?
Always assumed its supposed to be brigandines.
>>
>>53200790
I think 5e doesn't really excel at anything compared to other editions of D&D. Caster supremacy is mitigated from 3.5 but the fact that it even exists already puts it below every edition besides 3.5. Combat is possibly the blandest in any edition so far and definitely less engaging than 4e despite MMO memes. Social mechanics still virtually non-existent but probably inferior to 4e due to skill challenges. Nothing to say about dungeon delving except that it's worse-suited for it than TSR editions (and 4e due to skill challenges). Lowest power since WotC which can be good. It's just a compromise between everything that came before.

I'd like more variant rules to be able to customize the game for different types of campaign, and generally more class archetypes to pick from. UA Ranger still needs polishing. Warlocks need to stop spinning around eldritch blast somehow (even counting UA, you need to build a whole character from the ground up to fit Hexblade whereas Eldritch Blast is much more effective and only requires a cantrip and an invocation).
>>
>>53200940
This seems to be the case. Just plain leather with studs in it doesn't seem to actually be any more useful than standard leather from what I can find.

Lots of comparisons to Brigandines tho
>>
>>53200930
Go ahead and show me how a party without casters kills a roper on level 3.
>inb4 it's not my job to educate you, it's so obvious!
>>
>>53201107
>Social mechanics still virtually non-existent but probably inferior to 4e due to skill challenges.

Care to elaborate on this point? Also why do you dislike skill challenges and possibly an example?
>>
>>53200931
Opportunity attacks specify line of sight. You can move out of 5 ft of an enemy in Darkness without an opportunity attack if they dont have blindsight, tremorsight, etc.

If you can see in darkness you have advantage on attacks and attacks against you (from blinded enemies) have disadvantage.
>>
>>53201107
5e tries to be as inclusive and casual-friendly as possible so obviously they had to make a lot of compromises. i don't particularly think a simpler, more straightforward game is worse and they won't ever address it because they want everyone to take what they want and build from there.

there's no need for social mechanics, because everything can be adapted to the current game's context, stopping a lot of the bullshit that made 3.5 and pathfinder so insufferable to play.

i honestly feel it is a step in the right direction, memes aside, 5e has the best chance at long term survivability and mainstream breaking through.
>>
>>53201181
Not him but I don't see how that would be a problem at all.
>>
>>53201181
Tactics, using ranged weaponry and cover to try and keep from getting snagged after the initial surprise.

Keep it distracted with a barbarian while others get into a position, use a rope if you need it to stay for some random reason since it only moves like 10ft.

Our group handled this with only a warlock in our party for magic, we just knew for our martials to carry around ranged options, have the heavy armor up in his face with the barb.
>>
>>53201251
It is when all you think about is caster supremecy and how the game is unplayable without one. Just need to be inventive and prepared for situations.
>>
>>53201255
>Peek out of cover
>It used prepared action to catch you
>Keep it distracted with barbarian
>For some reason, roper doesn't want to fight honorably and eats your rogue instead
>>
>>53201181
ranger, archer fighter, kite it from a distance. it can only move 10 ft and has a reach of 50 ft so any bow or (not hand) crossbow is enough to outrange it.
>>
>>53201266
What I mean is I don't even see how that's a situation that requires you to be inventive. Seems really straightforward.
>>
Thoughts?
>>
File: Roper.png (4MB, 1182x1639px) Image search: [Google]
Roper.png
4MB, 1182x1639px
>>53200905
>>53200930
Harpoon up (read: trident), yank the fucker down and beat it to death.

>>53201255 has a good one too. Fuck corners. It will get to either ignore the angry meatwall beating down on its craggy ass or try to rope another target in.
>>
>>53201274
>preparing a multiattack action
how about no.

the roper can only bite once per round and the tendrils can only reel 25ft out of his 50ft reach with an action and deal no damage.
>>
>>53201159
At least studded leather still makes more sense than the ring mail....

I wanna use the brigandine in place of "studded leather" but it'd kind of go against the "no metal" rule of druids moreso than a supposed leather armor with a few studs in it....
>>
>>53201338
What doesn't make sense about ring armour? It was pretty commonplace.
>>
All right guys, I'm a first timer DM with first timer players, we've been running lost mines of phandelver
And in the Dragon encounter in Thundertree I've let one of my players convince the dragon to fuck off and take Wyvern Tor as it's new lair instead of residing in this tower.
Have I done it wrong, with letting them avoid the encounter?
>>
>>53201311
I'm just an outsider here, but should you really be sending 3rd level PCs up against a Roper, let alone a wyvern?

I mean, by the guidelines in the DMG, and assuming a party of 6, a roper would be a deadly encounter.
>>
>>53201419
No, but I hope you didn't make it too easy. You shouldn't solve an encounter with a hostile enemy with a single persuasion check, it should be a skill challenge instead.
>>
>Always play one type of character, not class, because it works well
>Want to change that
>Can't move out of my niche
Help. How do you do character concepts?
>>
>>53201449
What is the niche? I hope it isn't lone wolf that doesn't like talking to anymore
>>
>>53201449
I know that feel, bro, my group is mocking me and calling me a christfag because I keep playing a super-religious characters.
>>
>>53201395
Was it?
I tried to research it and mostly I found some plain jackets with rings in it from fantasy movies ( the one-handed guy in Hawk The Slayer, Berek in the second D&D movie...), one sketch of some supposed armours on Wikipedia and some fancrafted armour that was still mostly leather, but hardly anything I'd call "heavy".
If you have some good ressources on ring mail I'd love to see em.
>>
>>53201338
I mean besides "it's tradition" druids not wearing metalnis bullshit anyway. The only reason it really mattered was because it used to do screwy stuff to their nature magic. But they don't even say why in 5e, they just don't wear metal because they don't
>>
>>53201445
I've had one of my players actually discuss shit with me, instead of rolling, and he did a bloody well job of discussing with a dragon seeking a new nice lair. It kinda helped that I made Wyvern Tor a pretty spacious cave.
>>
>>53201467
Serious and driven, with a sense of humor.
>>
>>53201444
No, but this is the first mention of the player characters being 3rd level, per >>53200777

I operated from the assumption that the encounter would be challenging at worst. Still, assuming >>53200777 again, a warlock can provide the necessary disadvantages for the rest to capitalize upon.
>>
File: fe3KUUY.jpg (22KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
fe3KUUY.jpg
22KB, 375x305px
>>53201274
>Prepares an action
>Does no damage to meatwall hacking into it
>Everyone else gets to hit it without fear of snagged for a round
>Person breaks free then moves right back into cover

Sounds like a pretty one sided fight in the parties favor if that's how it's being run.
>>
>>53201475
Reminder that there's no such thing as "religious" in a setting where gods demonstrably exist.
Your characters are "devout."
>>
>>53201477
There are no surviving examples as far as I know, but its construction was scale armour with rings. I'd they didn't survive because the rings were latter re-purposed to make chain when that became more affordable, but who knows.
I forgot it was heavy armour, though. I'm not sure how that makes sense considering scale armour is medium armour.
Maybe by "ring mail" they mean chain with larger rings.
>>
Posting from the previous thread:

> I keep bouncing back and forth between French aristocracy and Black Adam isolationism when trying to conceive where my Oath of the Crown paladin is from and what he's like. Any ideas or advice on where I should go with it?

DM's letting me make my own country as far as that's concerned. It just has to be "in D&D". Since we're doing Curse of Strahd I thought about being from Borca or something but then the DM said we're outsiders to Ravenloft, so no dice there.
>>
where can I get stats for dragons that aren't in the MM, like gem dragons and mercury dragons?
>>
>>53201625
Tome of beasts has some dragons, but i guess your best bet is getting them from any past edition/pathfinder and using any of the many conversion tools/guidelines.
>>
>>53201610
Yeah it's really the "heavy" aspect I take issue with....
In AD&D the armor was on par with the "studded leather", which makes more sense to me.
>>
>>53201610
>Rings repurposed to make chain
That doesn't make any sense. You'd have to cut open the rings to mesh them with each other.
The most reasonable explanation is that ring armor did not, in fact, exist, because it provides no sort of advantage over things like scale armor, which is incredibly ancient.
>>
>>53201612
Great White Hunter. Using a heavy crossbow unless your GM allows blackpowder weapons.

You want to hunt monsters and take trophies, to show off civilization's grandeur.
>>
>>53201676
Makes sense, since studded leather armor did not historically exist either.
>>
>>53201533
It's doable, it would fucking suck but it can be done if your party prepares for the fact that at best with a warlock you have a pseudo caster and at worst a eb turret all day everyday.

Then again my DM gives us a range of stuff to work with like terrain and objects in the environment when he throws pretty tough challenges at us. Also helps we stock up on options for fighting a range of things instead of a very narrow focus.
>>
So what are some cool ideas for a great sea setting full of islands?
l will definetely include wyvern riders and crazy ships.
Any cool concepts l could steal from the Spelljammer setting?
>>
Consolidated Character Options anon, could you post them please?
>>
>>53201533
I'm going from >>53201181 which came afterwards.
>>
>>53201697
There are records of its construction from Asia. It was likely a predecessor to scale armour.
Unlike studded leather armour it wasn't pulled out of someone's ass.
>>
>>53201506
Play a character who is simply out for the pleasures in life, be it fine wine, pleasurable company, or just enjoying a warm summers day.

Really relaxed and laid back, never takes things too seriously except on rare occasions where it'd get him in a bad situation.
>>
File: 1200px-Labeled_speleothems.jpg (376KB, 1200x858px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Labeled_speleothems.jpg
376KB, 1200x858px
>Roper hiding out above a cave stream
>As stalactite, feeds on fish
>Yummy adventurers show up
>Tendril->Reel->Bite
>If they escape from the tendril, after reeled, they take falling damage.
>Stalactite Roper is far better than Stalagmite

It has a climb speed, long reach, and can hide as any sort of cave formation. All Ropers should be ceiling ropers.
>>
>>53201857
>All Ropers should be ceiling ropers.
Does anyone ever use Ropers as anything but Ceiling Ropers?
>>
>>53201775
>obligatory magical maelstrom
>moving island/giant turtle
>dinosaur island
>big fucking volcano, à la krakatoa
>islands controled by various kinds of dragons, their regional effects shape the islands to their will - easy way to create diversity of biomes
>>
>>53201787
Do you have a source for that? I'm searching and literally the only example of "ring armor" I can find is a single suit of supposedly Japanese armor, which is far from enough to be convincing.
Kind of like with ball-and-chain flails

>>53201918
My ropers are wall ropers. Ceilings have piercers and cloakers.
>>
>>53201936
>My ropers are wall ropers. Ceilings have piercers and cloakers.
I hope you mean at the same time.
>>
>>53201191
>>53200886
What that guy said is generally true. However, magical darkness (darkness made through spells; non-natural darkness) blocks ANY kind of vision-based sight. In other words, even darkvision doesn't work in magical darkness. you need blindsight/tremorsense, true sight, or enhanced darkvision (sometimes called demon or devil sight; most commonly had by demons/devils or warlocks with a specific invocation).
>>
>tfw can't decide between artificer and sorcerer
I like the concept of both but they also seem rather shit and severely limited compared to other casters. Am I missing something?
>>
>>53201982
Nope, neat concept but mechanically shit compared to other casters, is a accurate description.
Neither of them are so bad to not be viable though, so I don't think it matters much unless you have a extremly high performing group.
>>
>>53201929
that's great, ty
>>
File: paladinguide5e.pdf (470KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
paladinguide5e.pdf
470KB, 1x1px
Whats the best race for an Oath of the Ancients paladin?
>>
>>53201982
Artificer is not really a caster, it's more like a rogue with some spells

And sorcerers suck
>>
>>53202060
Half-elf.
>>
>>53202060
Half-Orc
>>
>>53201857
Fall damage works two ways. >>53201311
>>
Can we talk about how busted Horizon Walker is?
>>
>>53202060
Half-Elf. Played one that multiclassed with Warlock and worshipped fey.
>>
>>53202060
Human, elf (wood or high), any half-human, gnome

>>53202146
You are allowed, just don't throw random baity one-sentence posts about it
>>
>>53202060
Half-Dwarf
>>
>>53202018
Are there any artificer homebrews floating around that you know of that make it a bit more viable without getting silly?
>>
File: chef.jpg (27KB, 450x330px) Image search: [Google]
chef.jpg
27KB, 450x330px
>>53202083 >>53202094 >>53202149 >>53202185 >>53202205

Is Hobgoblin a pc race in 5th? I'm this anon >>53201290
>>
>>53202258
There are rules for it in Volos Guide to Monsters
>>
>>53202258
It is in Volo's guide to monsters I think
>>
All classes/sub-classes are fun to play and are viable unless you're playing with a group of filthy degenerate min-maxers.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>53202258
Check out Volo's Monster Guide in the trove. Hobgoblins are there.
>>
>>53202268
With a few exceptions
>>
>>53202258
It's in Volo's Guide, but as a monster race I'd say you need to ok it with your DM first
>>
>>53202268
Champion exists
>>
File: adios.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
adios.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>53199647
>Sombrero of Disguise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypBX5GCpF8
>>
>>53202299
Champion isn't bad, and I used it to play a Spartan type character in a one shot. Probably would get boring if I was playing for a few months, but you just need to be creative.
Beastmaster Ranger (PHB) though... And a lot of stuff from SCAG...
>>
>>53202299
>He hasn't played a Fighter Macgyver champion

You're missing out senpai
>>
>>53202329
>Champion isn't bad
The problem with Champion is that there is no real reason to play it instead of Battle Master.
>>
>>53202333
Wouldn't McGyver be more of a 'brainy' Battle Master though?
I could think of a vague narrative nieche for Champions, but it certainly wouldn't be a smart Fighter.
Though maybe Macgyver Fighter would be Eldritch Blade.
>>
File: kobolds[1].jpg (78KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
kobolds[1].jpg
78KB, 750x600px
would it be stupid to ask if this could be linked in the OP? I just recently found it, and it's super useful for new DM's, helps if you have no clue about squad tactics and such. very helpful if your players are moping the floor with your encounters:

http://themonstersknow.com
>>
>>53202344
Crit fishing. A second fighting style.
>>
>>53202344
>I'd rather focus on roleplaying than combat mechanics
>I want to cheese critical hits
>I want a character with as little resource management/depletion as possible
>I'm playing in an exploration-heavy game that requires a lot of physical ability checks
>>
>>53202366
Technically yes and no, as a battlemaster you're just using abilities, as a champion you have to jury rig shit together and come up with ideas on the fly.

Although it could work for both but I did champion and had a blast.
>>
So, my low level group just found a quite good magical item, but none of them know that you have to attune one for it to work, so they think it's probably just something cursed (they felt a special aura coming form the item).

They are planning to sell it on town as soon as they get there. I don't want to railroad, so I'm rolling with this. Should I warn them somehow that they might regret this, or no?
>>
>>53201625
Gem Dragons of Faerun on the DM's guild is setting agnostic in spite of it's name.
>>
>>53202407
Yeah mother-may-I is pretty fun, but it's hardly a unique thing for the champion
>>
>>53202436
Nope, they should've read the fucking book.
>>
>>53202504
Their characters don't know....
>>
>>53202436
If it's quite good, it's possible that no one in town could afford to buy it for what it's worth- if you want them to keep ahold of it, you could always have them trying to sell it catch the attention of a local wizard who, while potentially interested in buying it, might also mention the attunement mechanic.
>>
>>53202436
Just let it happen.

>>53202504
>metagaming
>>
>>53202367
>umber hulk tactics
>no grapple > burrow away > kill tactics
Uhhhhmmmm, DMbabs???
>>
>>53202436
Not every magic item needs to be attuned, for ones that do, let them make an arcana check to figure it out if they can already tell it's magic
>>
>>53202499
I forget that people seem to have DMs who are so narrow that unless it's in the book it can't happen. It wasn't a matter of may I it was a "I do this which logically leads to this happening".

Then again our DM is more worried about the whole group having fun.
>>
>>53202541
Right, but that's still justifiying a poor in-book choice by using anecdotal evidence involving play featuring houseruled results to actions without any real reason why that particular poor choice assists in that function.

I'm not saying that I don't do stuff like that, or that my DM doesn't let people do stuff like that, but none of it has any relation to the Champion
>>
>>53202436
No. Let them try and sell it which will lead to the buyer demanding evidence, and proof of it being magical, and how-so. Beyond that anyone buying it will need enough capital to actually buy it, not go bankrupt, and plausibly be able to find a customer that would pay more.
>>
>>53202521
>>53202436
What, are they all 8 INT? Nobody has any Arcana or Religion proficiency?
>>
File: uCKAqjd.jpg (65KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
uCKAqjd.jpg
65KB, 400x550px
Playing a level 8 Paladin here soon

What would yall rather do:

Half-Orc Champion Fighter - Vengeance Paladin (5 Pally 3 Fighter) with Sword and Board. Fish for crits while having an AC of 21. Probably would take Shield Master to give myself more advantage, maybe take HAM as I'm the sole "tank".

I get my choice of two uncommon magic items and one rare item. So I'd probably take a Flametounge longsword as my rare, undecided on the uncommons.

or

Human Treachery Paladin with Polearm Master and GWM. Just shit damage while having mirror image up and also pretty much always have advantage.

Would take a Belt of Hill Giant strength for 21 str, a +1 glaive and probably some sort of mithril splint armor so I can attempt to be sneaky as I've got invisibility and shit.

I don't normally powergame like this but the party is all about this sorta shit so I wanna be good too
>>
>>53202569
>but none of it has any relation to the Champion
I'm not quite sure of that, maybe its not 'specifically' Champion, but Champion is one of those classes lending itself particularly well to it because its in-class options are very small and focused.
>>
>>53202582
Nobody has arcana proficiency, religion doesn't apply. They're all 12 int at most, this is the first magic item they come across aside from potions, and they're mostly backwoods types who have no idea how all this magic stuff works.
>>
>>53202602
Ok, just making sure, but you're aware that from a game design perspective, that's a bad thing, right?

I'm not saying you didn't have fun playing a champion, but having such a small amount of play options that you're "encouraged" to try bending the rules to get things done is a sign that you're chosen option is a bad one
>>
>>53202589
The latter, but skip the GWM since the power attack does less when you smite which leads it to being a niche longevity option. You could instead just get +2 Cha for use with Aura of Protection.
>>
>>53202625
>I'm not saying you didn't have fun playing a champion
I'm not that guy, I actually never played Champion because I generally enjoy haveing broad options. But not everyone does.

> but you're aware that from a game design perspective, that's a bad thing, right?
I don't think it is. Some people prefer rules-light characters like that, and then just improvise on the spot or interact with the enviroment.

>that you're "encouraged" to try bending the rules to get things done
I didn't understand what he talked about as bending the rules, you can interact with the enviroment in lots of ways or improvise within the rules.
>>
>>53202663
"bending" and "breaking" the rules are two different things

Trying to trigger a chain reaction of events, like, say cutting a rope to make a chandelier fall and then holding the rope to rise up for a plunging attack from above, is "bending the rules". It's not explicitly ruled in any of the books so it's not strictly by the rules, but there's nothing wrong with doing it and all Ms should encourage it.

But no class should ever be poorly designed enough for it to be an important aspect to their function
>>
>>53202626
>skip the GWM since the power attack does less when you smite

I don't know what you mean by this

do you mean that taking GWM attacks will have a lower damage due to the accuracy trade off? I'd still have a +4 and pretty much constant advantage
>>
>>53202244
http://www.eberron5e.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Class-Artificer-Full-Class-v3.4.pdf
>>
>>53202696
But it's not even unique to champion. In fact, thief rogue would do it much better, since he can interact with objects as a bonus action.
>>
>>53202625
>bending the rules

Didn't realize interaction with the environment and table topping shmucks was bending the rules.

>Remarkable athlete let me have better shot at doing these shenanigans
>Additionally fighting style made me better at being versatile in melee or ranged
>Survivor let me take additional risks and improved survivability if shit went south

Is champion the best option no, but it can easily be a decent option depending on how you play.
>>
>>53202719
Yes, the DPR would be lower using the power attack.
Attacking at +9 for 1d10+5+2d8 with advantage gives you +3% more damage at 18 AC, -3% damage at 19 AC.

At 16 AC you have +16% damage, and +10% damage at 17 AC.
>>
Why do people hate cantrips? What's so unbalanced or unfair about them?
>>
>>53202859
Muh grognard. Muh spell spamming. All while actual spells are much weaker leading to some of the best balance that isn't 4e.
>>
>>53202859
Some people dislike them because casters have a spell option that is unlimited. Some people dislike them because they scale with level which can make them better than lower level damage spells.
>>
>>53202897
Eldritch blast anyone?
>>
>>53202764
Cheers m8.
>>
What's a good class to multi class with draconic sorcerer at level 6?
>>
>>53202897
I for one like that eventually you replace your low level damage spells with utility spells.
>>
>>53203093
Whatever fits the character or warlock 2
>>
>>53201338
Brigantine would be medium or heavy armor anyway, not light. AC14 or 15 with potential +2 from Dex.

It's articulated metal plates with a leather and/or cloth covering. That's not light armor.

I'm also an autist who is pissed that Gambesons have such a low AC. They should be where Studded Leather is now.
>>
So for one of my campaigns I have a magic lockpick mini-game I wanna add in because some of my players were asking for something like it.

How does this sound so far?

The attacking player gets 3D6 rolls, and the defending lock gets 6D4 rolls. Each roll for the defending lock is color coded, a roll from 1 or 2 is green and 3 or 4 is blue. The player basically chooses how to stack their die rolls against the defender's, and can block multiple die rolls of the defenders. The colors are hints as to what the total defender rolls are. If the attacking player's roll beats the total result of the defenders twice, they win the mini game. If they lose twice, they take damage equal to the last total roll they lost to, and the mcguffin remains locked. They can repeat the process as many times as they'd like.

Is this too complicated? I'm worried it might be too confusing for my players.
>>
>>53202719
>>53202626
>>53202589
Well, GWM isn't such a bad idea if you can often guess the enemy's AC and your to-hit is really high (See: 20 strength + frequent advantage from treachery 'this archetype is literally all about getting advantage on everything')
However
If you REALLY want to powergame, go oathbreaker.
Get that 21 strength. Get PAM. Then get high charisma.

Also, fighter isn't really worth it. I mean, crit smites are nice, but progressing paladin is more important, probably.

I wouldn't bother with GWF and I'd get defense for +1 AC instead, but eh. I guess it's not bad if you want to go oathbreaker and be the biggest piece of shit DPR dealer in the game.
>>
>>53203197
Wouldn't brigandine pretty much go in the same category as splint?
>>
When playing a Paladin, should my secondary attribute be Charisma or Constitution?
>>
>>53203380
Charisma then Constitution from my experience.
>>
>>53203320
It would work well enough there, yeah.
>>
>>53203380
Charisma

Don't neglect constitution, but aura of protection is worth pumping your charisma up to 20 for
>>
>>53203380
Charisma gives +saves to everyone, including you in the party.
Absolutely take it above constitution.
>>
>>53203197
Yup, I ended up putting brigandines on par with breastplates.
What I ended up doing with studded leather was just calling it "reinforced leather".
>>
I have a Tielfing Rogue written up. Chaotic neutral (going to try and avoid the cliches). He was raised as a member of a Smuggling ring that traffics magic items, drugs, protection schemes, etc. He doesn't necessarily want to hurt anybody, but sees the world in terms of profitable / non-profitable rather than good/evil.
My party is already really magic heavy, so I think Arcane Trickster is out, despite that probably being the best for my race/class combo. We're Fighter, Stone Scorc, Healing focus Bard, and some Wizard flavor so far.
What Archetype do you guys think i should try out? I've pretty much narrowed it down to Thief, Swashbuckler, and Inquisitive.
>thief
the magic items bit fits the backstory nicely. Extra utility sounds great.
>inquisitive
'Hey DM, tell me what's going on here. Also fuck your traps and ambushes"
>Swashbuckler
sounds cool to ignore opportunity attacks, get extra initiative from my Tielfing race, and lots of sneak attacks.
>>
>>53203320
It's not exactly heavy, full body armor though. Upper tiers of medium armor is where I put it.
>>
>>53203529
I put removed studded leather and just replaced the word with "gambeson." I use "cloth," or whatever it was to represent someone in layers of regular clothes or something moderately "industrial," like a blacksmith's apron. NPC civilian wear, basically.
>>
I've got a ranged ranger, a melee valor bard and an EB warlock to keep from dying

Between barbarian, fighter and paladin, who's got the best shot at this?
>>
>>53203546
Well, I'd assume you cover other areas as appropriate with chain or metal plates, just like in real life.
>>
>>53203565
Paladin, but only by a small amount, really. Do what you feel.
>>
>>53203533
I like thief the most flavorwise, but use magic items is very dependant on your DM. I went from level 1-18, and the only thing I got to use it for was a couple of scrolls
>>
>>53203565
Personally it'd be a toss up between paladin, either OoA or OoD, or Totem barbarian. That's if you're restricted to PHB.
>>
File: 9f9.jpg (43KB, 600x598px) Image search: [Google]
9f9.jpg
43KB, 600x598px
>>53203533
>try and avoid the cliches

Bitch, you better. Defining character personality by alignment is trash.

>sees the world in terms of profitable / non-profitable rather than good/evil

Sounds like you have already embraced the cliches.

The character sounds like a swashbuckler; A real Han Solo type (before he came back)
>>
>>53203592
I'm not, everything is allowed, UA included

Well, everything except monster races and variant human
>>
>>53203606
Hmm I'd still say the same oaths for paladin but the barbarian ancestral guardians can work as well.
>>
>>53203567
True. Considering I see lamellar and laminar armous as on par with splint, I don't see why the brigandine wouldn't work with such additions.
I was just referring to the brigandine on its own with no add-ons not unlike the "chain shirt" and breastplate.
>>
>>53203604
I wrote the character and decided that's the alignment that fit him. I see what you mean though.
Also, with what you said about Han solo and what >>53203585 said, I think Swashbuckler is the choice for me. Thanks for the perspective.
>>
>>53200740
Are black powder weapons worth a fuck? I want to make a mercenary swordsman who carries like four pistols and quick draw-fire-drop shenanigans.
>>
>>53203093
Any Dex based character like Rogue or Fighter.
>>
>>53201714
Is a ranged character all that ideal for Crown?
>>
>>53203903
Ask the DM if you can swap all smite triggers (your ability and spells) to trigger off of ranged attacks instead of melee.
>>
File: Drow_Dreagolath.png (619KB, 1017x853px) Image search: [Google]
Drow_Dreagolath.png
619KB, 1017x853px
reading the rulebooks isn't as inspiring as reading fantasy novels gauntlet style, and then in bursts peeking at monsters and supplements from the 5e sourcebooks

>read Terry Pratchett's Mort and Lloyd Alexander's Castle of Llyr

>read more of Volo's Guide, the Draegloth (p. 141) is a beast that is half-drow, half-glabrezu demon, usually is trained in service of a house and typically part of the plans of the house when fully grown. It's abilities could turn the tide in a battle if the other house doesn't have a draegloth of it's own.

>imagine 3 player characters who are drow relatives a part of a house, they have to go find and return the Draegloth. Players are way outleveled by this creature and their superiors tell them that the beast is hella dangerous, do not fight it, just bring it back to return it to it's training.

the shenanigans...oh the shenanigans...
>>
Paladin question: does the Great Weapon FIghting style apply to smite dice?
>>
What would be a good way of representing the effects of being hit in the nuts?
I was thinking the poisoned condition.
>>
>>53204091

No.
>>
So I've been told the UAs are monthly now, so when's the next one?
>>
>>53204091
RAW yes, but Crawford said it isn't RAI.
>>
>>53204091
No
>>
>>53204172
Roleplaying.
>>
File: 1493439669841.jpg (70KB, 564x752px) Image search: [Google]
1493439669841.jpg
70KB, 564x752px
>>53200260

Last session I saved the party Cleric from getting killed by getting in the way of the enemies so they couldn't reach him, and spent most of the rest of the session chilling with the townsfolk of the place we're in trying to communicate in my broken ass Common enough to buy food and drink for our next travel.

Before that I set off some traps that we couldn't see, and was wounded but survived ok. Earlier in the story I needed help with reading words to find a job, which the Half-Elf helped with and we became bros.

Monk is a mysterious wanderer who wears a cloak all the time and thinks religion is wrong (but is also a Cleric) and wants to destroy all things he deems evil, so any warlock or monster just gets judged as bad by the looks of it.

The fiend I have a pact with wants to kill him (GM) and I wonder if that's him saying he is tired of that dude's character and wants me to end it.
>>
Do you guys have any mini dungeons or adventures like pic related? Or anything island related, really.
>>
>>53200777
Once had a party of 4 different Warlocks (Fey, fiend, Raven queen and Old one.) And they were terrifying.

I started having huge issues when their primary modus operandi became to ignore threats, and if shit went down, throw down Darkness EVERYWHERE, and then curbstomp them because of their superior dark vision.

The major threats just didnt have the tools to deal with that kind of strategy. At least they were good guys, so they didn't just murderhobos everything, and being all warlocks, talking was their primary problem solving tool.
>>
>>53204172
Prone.
>>
>>53204320
That's a pretty weak answer. If a player makes a called shot for the nuts then I don't want it to have no actual effect.
Boring.
>>
>>53204565
Fucking knock the attackee down then, there doesn't need to be some stupid mechanic for it, christ.
>>
I'm making a team of NPCs that are all powerful rangers (powered rangers, if you would), and I'm trying to make sure they all have distinct fighting styles that complement one another. One's a goliath that deals with large crowds, one's a firbolg with an animal companion that corrals enemies together and provides support, and the last is a wood elf that ambushes and snipes. Are these three a good mix, and can I possibly fit in a fourth unique one?
Also what should their colors be
>>
>>53204599
But knocking the attackee down is some stupid mechanic.
That's the whole point you moron.
>>
>get knocked prone in the middle of a fight to the death
>armed combatant standing over you
>your life flashes before your eyes,
>
>spend half your movement to get up as your assailant stands there, doing nothing
>now back to fighting

this just feel wrong to anyone else
>>
>>53204677
Don't take rules and combat mechanics so literally.
>>
>>53204677
No because there's still plenty of opportunities for people to hit you while prone, and we don't want to go down the attack of opportunity rabbit hole from 3.pf. Shit was impossible to keep track of.
>>
File: 1494517695500.png (2MB, 1500x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1494517695500.png
2MB, 1500x1600px
Tell me about your setting's yuan-ti.
>>
>>53204745
My setting's so low fantasy that shit like dwarves and elves are a goddamn rarity.

Orcs and gobbos a plenty though.
>>
>>53204745
They have yet to be discovered to the world at large.
As soon as I find an effective way to convert and battlemap Dwellers of the Forbidden City, that's when they'll show up.
>>
>>53204677
nigga it's not like you leisurely stand up and dust yourself off before going back to fighting, that shit represents stuff like

>Enemy attacks with advantage
>Misses
>Stand on your turn with half movement
>Attack with GWM, killing the foe

as

>The Orc makes a mighty swing at your prone body, though you barely manage to roll out of the way- just in time, as the force of the blow smashes the stone floor with a deafening crack. In a fluid movement, you manage to scramble to your feet mid-roll before the Orc swings again, making a wild swing with your Greatsword and slicing his head clean in half, killing the Orc.

And I'm not even any good at the whole "action scene" thing, people who actually DM can be much better at turning "i use de attak :DD" into something interesting.
>>
>>53204745
They don't exsit
>>
>>53204331
What kind of god does this silly person have that would allow him to insist that religion is fundamentally a flawed practice, but would still give him divine blessing despite? He sounds more like a paladin than a cleric of any kind. Clerics are REQUIRED to show faith in their deity to receive divine blessing; Paladins are essentially their own god, making oaths with themselves to walk higher paths and thus obtaining power from their personal conviction.

If you've not hurt any innocent people and haven't behaved in ways that could be called extreme or malevolent, then by his own beliefs he has no right to oppose you. As a Cleric of a deity that somehow doesn't have faith in the will of deities, he's the exact same as you; leeching strength off of a higher power, to do with as he pleases. If the DM wants to fuck with him because he's being an ass, shut off his Cleric features and spellcasting when he tries to fight you for no reason.

Lawful good may not mean lawful nice, but it doesn't mean lawful dick, either.
>>
File: Monster Slayer Ranger.jpg (93KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
Monster Slayer Ranger.jpg
93KB, 1000x769px
>>53204641
Primeval Guardian- tanky man, doubles as his own Megazord. Your Goliath could be this one.
Monster Slayer- The leader and most flashy of the bunch with his giant dragonbone sword, "Red Ranger"
Hunter- Second in command, least flashy of the bunch. Fights like you'd expect a Ranger to.
Horizon Walker- Flanker and speedster, tag teams with...
Deep Stalker- Edgy Ninja Ranger, your "ambushes and snipes" one.
Beastmaster- You had one already.
>>
>>53205065
Maybe the deity is a dick and wants other gods gone, so that he can become the only religion in the world and then people will incite wars because somebody read his holy scriptures differently than others
>>
>>53203771
Bumping this ask. I don't have the book with me because mobile poster.
>>
File: 1494082233219.jpg (548KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
1494082233219.jpg
548KB, 1200x750px
>>53205065
>Anytime I've rolled up a Devotion paladin
>Always get told "heuheuheu that means you can't kill!"
>Proceed to smite evil when all options have failed

What it is with people believeing that just because you prefer to fix problems in a non violent manner if possible you're obviously not allowed to protect yourself or others when it comes to blows.
>>
>>53204331
Why would the monk travel with someone they deem evil?
>>
>>53205120
People are retards
>>
>party's ranger player always keeps himself as far from combat as possible, just slinging arrows
>hear him quietly mumbling about multiclassing into a wizard
should I be worried?
>>
>>53205249
Does he have the intelligence prerequisite to multiclass into wizard?
>>
>>53205293
>check his character sheet
>1 off on INT from multiclassing into wizzyman
>other than that he can multiclass into anything else
I am growing more worried now
>>
>>53200740
I would go full spore for Zuggtymoy. Would you?
>>
>>53205337
nah
>>
>>53204331
You think you have a pact with a fiend who wants to kill your GM?

Have you told anyone else about this fiend?
>>
>>53205249
>>53205316
Wizard is probably one of the worst things a ranger can mutliclass into. There are a few things that are ok, like rogue for expertise, cunning action and maybe assassin or fighter for action surge, but even then it isn't amazing
>>
>>53205380
Eh, we're just a bunch of first timers, so I wouldn't be suprised if people made less than logical decisions in eyes of people ITT
That being said I won't stop them from making mistakes
>>
>>53205380
Don't rangers count as a third for the multiclass spell table?
>>
Anons? Hopefully not off-topic... is a kobold character whose "hook" is that she hates dragons and wants revenge on them for exploiting her tribe to death, to the point she's fixated on the idea of eating dragon meat as a sign of her superiority & contempt, magical realmy in your opinion?

Before anyone asks, the only reference to dragon flesh & the edibility thereof in D&D that I'm aware of is a Faerun article in Dragon #277, where it's described as edible (like turkey meat in consistency, but much stronger in flavor) and a very expensive gourmet delicacy, with the wings in particular having some of the best meat.
>>
>>53205398
I'm not saying its wrong, it's just nothing to worry about
>>
>>53205403
Half, like paladins
Third is AT, EK and artificer
>>
>>53201206
>5e has the best chance at long term survivability and mainstream breaking through.
It's already broken into the mainstream.
>>
File: shakalaka-grill02-580w.jpg (54KB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
shakalaka-grill02-580w.jpg
54KB, 580x326px
>>53205412
Depends 100% on execution.
Eating Dragons (and all kinds of other giant critters) has been done for comedic effect and played straight without "magical realm" stuff in all kinds of media.
>>
>>53205487
Is there really any option other than either the "gnaw open a dragon's egg and drink the raw yolk" or "cook meat harvested from a dragon's body" approaches? I mean, let's face it, kobolds are small and dragons are really, really big. Aren't wyrmling dragons like, twice the size of kobolds once freshly hatched?
>>
>>53205445
Ahh I always get this mixed up
>>
File: 1494595647449.jpg (63KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1494595647449.jpg
63KB, 800x450px
What would pic related be?
>>
>>53205568
GOO patron
>>
>player paladin wants to multiclass into Wild Sorcerer for extra smite slots, ranged capability and shield
>I keep telling him not to (not forbidding it, because we're adults) and to stop thinking of mechanical concepts and start thinking of his character and value roleplay
>He keeps telling me the same shpiel
>Wants to do Wild Magic Sorcerer because he's not feeling draconic or storm
>Give him last chance

He's got a bit of a tragic backstory, so if he keeps pushing me, I'm going to rule that Wild Magic is the channeling of his horrendus bad luck, and I'm just going to wail on him "fate wise"
>>
>>53205610
I never understood this at least make the fucking effort to work it into your story.

Also personally I wouldn't let someone MC into Sorcerers unless they met certain conditions like did a ritual that could kill them to get dragon blood into their veins, or bathed in magic energy to cause wild sorcerer.
>>
>>53205610
>Give character existential crisis
>All bad things that have ever happened to him and loved ones are his fault for being born
>All good things that have ever happened to him are just meaningless and unearned luck

I don't know man, doesn't sound fun
>>
>>53205610
I mean, no reason it couldn't really make sense.
Being a paladin is practically sorcery except focused on more divine magic and support, bravery and the like.

Let him have fun and not feel bad about it. As for the fact it's 'wild magic', I'd probably just say it's unstable due to them rushing their training in it as they start to branch out from what they know.
>>
>>53205412
Eating dragons is a classic, just ask ol' Sigurd. Just think about what you're character's personality's going to be like and what'll motivate them before you get to dragonslaying. What's gonna make your kobold stick around for guard duty or killing dire rats in the warehouse or whatever instead of gallivanting off to prove itself against a dragon?
>>
>>53205637
>>53205610
Could the magic have just always been there but dormant? I don't know a lot about sorcerers
>>
Why is studded leather such a sticking point for people, while my character is running around in dragon scale armor?
>>
So, question, I'm looking to form an adventurer's guild in a setting with a friend and we were originally coming up with the title of Musketeer for the soldiering arm of it.

The name doesn't mesh well with the setting, though. Any solid medieval alternatives?
>>
>>53205671
It's a blood thing either you have it or don't from my interpretation. Mostly this forces players to actually come up with a reason for doing it other than "I want to munchkin"
>>
>>53205671
That's what I mean.
Magic was there dormant, expressing itself through the forces of chaos that brought every tragedy he has ever known into his life

I want to see what happens to a paladin when you blame the way the gods made him for the death of their parents
>>
>>53205684
Band of the Hawk
>>
>>53205698
If it's a paladin, they're already a magical guy who gains power from undetermined sources, no reason you can't realize it was in your blood all along.

I don't know why everyone's whining about munchkinning so much. Paladin-sorcerer is more of a sidegrade to the paladin than an upgrade.
>>
>>53205684
Landsknecht?
>>
>>53205715
I mean, paladins aren't necessarily powered by the divine in 5eg, they get them from their Oaths.

That said, a paladin who crusades to do good but who's fate is determined to bring only misery and poor luck to those he cares about sounds like a pretty solid and fun character to play.

Kind of like Turin, but without being a dickbag. Maybe, I dunno what your player is like.
>>
>>53205684
Humanoids-at-arms
>>
How can I build the dragon mythology to the point where they become actually menacing and scary? I'm gonna have a dragon living in an island as a god for natives and I don't want it to feel like the last game I was a player in, where the fucking goblins we fought were scarier than a white dragon (young, but still)
>>
>>53205727
Understandable but for me since paladins get their abilities from oaths I've seen it as they are using magic. Just a different type and instead of studying and learning it's using force of will. Wether they realize it or not they're casting the equivalent of spells in a different manner to the wizard's studying and mechanical understanding or the sorcerer's in born ability to cast.

Also I prefer players to actually have reason for suddenly being able to do y when they could only do x before. Even if it's a half assed reason I want players to actually represent this new change or ability instead of "well I can do this now"
>>
>>53205768
Make it so there's swarms of lots of goblin-sized dragons that employ tactics and are generally a major threat due to their numbers.
>>
>>53205768
What level is the party?
>>
Classes in this edition are for the most part pretty well designed. Goddamn is this a welcome change.
>>
>>53205791
Well, paladins have spellcasting before they even get their oath.
Oaths really just sound like they're 'reinforcing their resolve and honing their willpower'. The oaths do, as said, give power, but they're not the true origin of the power.
Though there's all sorts of ways to look at it, it'd be a bit lame to say that there's only one thing you're allowed to do.

As much as the original player mentioned really should give it at least 5 or 10 minutes of thought of how it makes sense for the character, all restricting him is going to ultimately do is make it less fun for him, and it's always fine to say 'Okay, the player doesn't know why they're the way they are, but we can always speculate on it ourselves since they haven't.'

And then they have no right to complain if something related to the backstory they've been too lazy to write up that the DM filled in the blanks for comes up.
>>
File: 1458351114293.jpg (42KB, 337x498px) Image search: [Google]
1458351114293.jpg
42KB, 337x498px
Do you think "Critical strikes against allies within 10 feet do not do increased damage." is an unfun 7th level Oath Aura, or does it bring positive appreciation to the Paladin?
>>
>>53205821
5. The dragon is an adult white, and l don't really expect them to face him any time soon. For this and other reasons l want him to be the scariest possible.
>>
>>53205858
I agree with this the only time I restrict is for players that don't give any thought other than they saw a meme build on line, talking to you Steve, and want to put it into play without doing any of the leg work to make it part of their character.

The main reason is not many of the people I play with are about meme building and trying to be the ridiculous shit you see on here.

So I keep it level for the other players by making the main requirement a character driven reason.
>>
>>53205791
Depends. You can rationalize it either way - sorcerers manipulate magic through their innate talent and force of will (that's why they're CHA based), paladins cast spells through their oaths which are powered by their conviction (which is not altogether different from force of will).

If you want a paladin with access to more spell slots, dipping into sorcerer is a fine choice. It doesn't have to have story ramifications, and getting hung up on it being a munchkin choice is pointless. It doesn't make a big difference.
>>
>>53205873
I'd say it's fair enough. It's a bit un-fun in that it quenches the 'oh shit' moments and takes away tension in games where people wouldn't go down from some hits but would by crits, but that's also good in a way since it lends tactical security.

I don't really know.

>>53205919
I'd like to hear which meme build there is.
I can't imagine it's one I've yet to hear of.
>>
>>53205927
But it does matter if one player is building to be a meme they saw online while everyone else is building to have fun. The meme can easily begin overshadowing the other players which becomes unfun for them.

If everyone were doing this yeah, I wouldn't care but I personally need a reason if you're the only one doing this at the table, because I have to make sure everyone is having fun.
>>
>>53205993
Oh no those Sorcerer Paladins gonna break the game, better shit on him really hard.
>>
>>53205918
Have him meet them in person, fuck with them even. Make it clear that he's aware of them being on his island and that they can play in his sandbox for a price. Make them do a little job for him in return for not getting obliterated.

Don't forget spells, flying, etc., as well as the loyalty of the island's population.
>>
>>53206009
>Expecting a player to tie in a character reason is shitting on him

I mean I guess if expecting someone to RP and have a logical reason is shitting on them then you got me.

>>53205950
They are ones you've heard of because he browses here and has tried to make a nuclear druid when one of his characters died.
>>
File: dca47drow.jpg (600KB, 925x950px) Image search: [Google]
dca47drow.jpg
600KB, 925x950px
Would you be his friend?
>>
>>53206089
>Actually trying to make a nuclear druid
Just how sad can you be?

I mean, I know I'm one of the anons who collaborated together to make that disaster of a build, but seriously. Using playtest material in that way doesn't even feel clever or rewarding or anything when you just copy it from online and all it does is 'do a shitload of damage'.
>>
>>53206111
Yes. First thing l'll do is ask if saw the one responsible for killing that guy on the ground over there.
>>
>>53206111
Looks like a trustworthy fella', stylish too!
>>
>>53205065
God of Luck or something, it hasn't been fleshed out yet it seems. My character does struggle with the fiend but he has yet (though we are low level) to do anything evil.

He went into Cleric from a gaming perspective of: it's a low cost dip to get high power things. The GM was a bit fucking wary of it, but be allowed it as this guy has not played D&D much before this.

>>53205184
Not really sure, senpai. He doesn't really have an objective so far. Myself and the rest of the party all have personal stories we want to engage in, as well as the GMs overarching thing that is pretty cool so far.

>>53205377
The GM is my fiend...
>>
File: 1492578058652.jpg (133KB, 803x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492578058652.jpg
133KB, 803x1000px
>>53206111
No, I'd ask if he was the one who killed that man and if he was going to come along quietly since it's obvious he is.
>>
>>53206111
I'd probably have to tolerate him being in the party considering the other players in my group love some edge
>>
>>53206111
Officer Gronsky, thank you, that man was about to rape me!
I don't know what this neighborhood would do without you.
I expect I shall see you and your mother come sunday tea? Michael is doing show tunes
>>
I am making a Aarakocra archer type character and am in need of assistance.

Shuld i go Fighter, Ranger or Rouge? I feel like ranger fits more but I dont want an animal companion :S Anyone have played ranger or have some advise? Thanks in advance
>>
>>53206372
>Shuld
>i
>Rouge
>but I dont want an animal companion
> :S
>have played
> advise

I CANT TAKE ALL THIS BAIT
>>
What would be the CR on a commoner that can cast all spells at will?
>>
>>53205950
That's pretty much what I thought about it. I considered something like 'Gain X temp HP' or whatever after taking a crit, but then I thought of all kinds of autistic abuse letting the wizard punch you for 1 crit damage over and over.

I think I'm going to change it to: Reaction, an ally within 10 feet takes 1/2 damage on failed save instead of full.
>>
>>53206180
What on earth does a god of luck have anything to do with smiting the forces of evil?

Whatever; if his behavior trying to flesh and act out his character is getting out of line, tell him that if you're going to take your character's behavior so rigidly that you can't allow a warlock that has actually done no evil that you know of to be, then you can't disbelieve in the authority of gods while borrowing the power of one. Either he cuts his silliness out, or he drops his cleric levels.

This wouldn't even fly if he was a paladin. A devotion paladin wouldn't attack you on the grounds that you currently carry yourself with a minimal amount of honor and as such he must trust that you are resisting your patron (if he even knows it's a fiend patron. While Warlocks are generally feared because of the many fiend patrons, someone like him that travels the circles he does should know that the fiends aren't the only patrons and not all pacts are by choice). If he were vengeance, again, you've yet to commit any evil, and his oaths demand he fight the greater evil--which is not you at the moment.
>>
>>53206406
Why?
>>
>>53206413
Isn't that just a worse version of aura of warding? I guess it works on things other than spells
>>
>>53206434
Too much time to plan for games that will never happen.
>>
>>53206470
Try online games then.
>>
cr 0

No use having wish at will if you die off a single magic missle
>>
>>53206457
I feel like I made the channel divinities too good, and I want to hold it back. I'll release the whole thing hopefully by next week.
>>
>>53206500
Who would even adjudicate an NPC wish in combat?

It's the DM basically playing with himself
>>
>>53206500
*casts shield as a reaction*
>>
Is 5e the best edition of D&D?
Why or why not?
>>
>>53206526
*casts counterspell on that shield*
>>
>>53206533
Can't say from experience since my perspective of all editions is polluted by That Guys, but it gets the job done.
>>
>>53204464
>Raven queen warlock
>Once
Couldn't be that long ago.
>>
>>53206533
I don't know if it's best, since I've never played 2e, but it's certainly great.
>>
>>53206574
*triggers contingent counter-counterspell*
>>
>>53206533
It's better than 3.5 and AD&D

I'm not sure if I'd say it's better than 2e or 4e though, I like all three a lot, but all for different reasons
>>
>>53206622
>Second party member counterspells that because this question was about CR's anyway
>>
>>53206622
*both spellcasters reveal simulacrums in the bushes whose contingencies active to open portals to demiplanes scrawled over to the brim with spell glyphs upon spell glyphs containing yet more counterspells*
>>
File: Loreweaver.png (71KB, 1087x626px) Image search: [Google]
Loreweaver.png
71KB, 1087x626px
Hey, guys, I made a scaling sword cane for a bard for my campaign.

I feel like there could be some use for the cane & sheath, but I really can't think of anything for it. I'm looking for some feedback as to how it should be built so this is still a WIP.
>>
>>53206664
>2 people taking counter spell
I've never even see one person in my group take it. I wish my group wasn't so bad at games
>>
>>53206533
I enjoy the granularity of 3.pf more and the balance of 4e more.

5e is a decent attempt to mix the two, but I really only play it because my gaming group does.
>>
>>53206719
>The weapon deals more damage as a club than as a blade
>>
>>53206769
It deals 1d6 as a sword, 1d6 as a heavy club (NOT a greatclub), and 1d4 as a club.
>>
Hey, what's you slang of choice for Elves? Something better than knife-ears but somewhat playful, as in please don't attack me outright Mr. Elf sir.
>>
>>53206847
keeb is a shadowrun classic
>>
Does anyone have that homebrew berserker fix where you ignore the effects of exhaustion while frenzied?
>>
>>53206830
Well, heavy clubs aren't statted, so I could only assume it was a greatclub.

Still, it sounds like it's stronger considering bludgeoning is generally better (For when it actually matters) and that you can use shillelagh on it.
>>
>>53206847
Shadowrun ones work
dandelion eater, tree huger, fairy
>>
>>53206898
The version where you ignore the effects of exhaustion is too much, it was fine before they added that clause.
>>
>decide to play beast conclave with a twf character
>fight a monster with resistance to non-magic
>realise I need two magic weapons and the majority of my damage can never be magic
this was a mistake
>>
>>53206898
Easiest fix for Berserker is
>You can rage even without any daily Rages remaining, but doing so gives you a level of Exhaustion after your Rage ends.

Fixed an entire archetype with two sentences.
>>
>>53206902
This is completely fine to me. They are sacrificing a magical secretes slot/multiclassing/feat to get Shillelagh. I'm more concerned about the magic weapon do you have any ways of making it better?
>>
>>53200740
Myself and two friends are going to join the dnd 5e adventure league.
We really wanted to all be dragonborn and have a shared background like dedication to a single god, and each person be a class of clergy. Like thematic n flavorful n shit.

Person A is going the militant arm of the church and is building towards a Vengeance Paladin. Person B is going full healer Cleric and representing a miracle-healer and leader figure.

What would be a good third class to include? Person C is brand new to the game and doesn't know where to begin, and I'd really like this first campaign to be a great experience for them.

Or failing theme, what would be really cool to play for someone who's new if the rest of the crew is Paladin and Cleric?
>>
>>53206986
A repentant rogue using his skills for the benefit of his church while he prays for forgiveness under the watchful eyes of his clerical leadership?
>>
Been running a game with 4 PCs from level 1 with first timers. They are up to 9 now and are getting the hang of it. One of the lads will be unable to join for about a month and I'm thinking about running a one shot with the others. Would it be advisable to start them at 20 so we can fuck around with elite spells and gear and creatures for maybe one long session or would it be too overwhelming for them?
>>
>>53206975
My problem here is that the cane is more powerful than the sword inside it, at which point what's the point in having a sword inside it?
Just more of a 'It should just be a 1d4 club regardless of if there's something in it or not' kinda thing, perhaps.

As for making it better, I don't know. The only way I could suggest is more to do with making sure that it fits into the story, that it's attained 'naturally' and that it has a suitable backstory and has relevance to the overall story, perhaps having a use that'll turn out to be useful at some point. I guess legend lore itself could do that. Maybe a bit of a ribbon with 'You can cast legend lore without a spell slot once every day if the topic is something the maker of the item really adored'.
>>
>>53207021
>Fantasy Parole Officer
>>
>>53207090
It completes the meta trio of "fighter, thief, magic user," but if you think the idea is silly then Player C could be a Fighter roleplaying as a squire or Brother-Knight to the Paladin. Those were the first two ideas to come to mind.
>>
File: 6748f8ea516944e171a49983c7f5e696.jpg (268KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
6748f8ea516944e171a49983c7f5e696.jpg
268KB, 1600x1131px
>>53207021
I'm currently playing a highly educated church spy loosely based off Locke Lamora, it's pretty amusing though a spy character makes more sense on his own instead of in a group of inquisitors.

Speaking of Inquisitors, Inquisitive Rogue Take Theologian. Be the not-so-charming but REALLY OBSERVANT guy.

You could even make old-ass references to Monty Python when coming out of stealth if you feel like dusting off an antique meme.
>>
File: inuittrommler.jpg (15KB, 208x266px) Image search: [Google]
inuittrommler.jpg
15KB, 208x266px
What are some interesting low level demons? (CR5>)

Throwing Manes and Dretches at my players non-stop would become boring pretty fast, I guess

Any ideas on how to spice encounters up for your low level PCs in general?
>>
>new game
>group is divided in two
>my group is tasked of hunting the second group
>second group just broke out of prison

Hows is the best way that I can confront them and end the encounter with all of us at the same side?
>>
>>53207109
That's a stellar idea!

I'll get his feedback and see if he bites on the redeemed thief or fighter, any particular fighter build that's fun, or should we not worry about hitting level three?

Thank you so much for the ideas!
>>
>>53207072
If they go 20th they wouldn't want to go back. Have them play the part of an interplanar clean up crew, destroying high level and high cr threats, like Orcus, Tiamat and their peers.
>>
>>53207168

im not too worried about that, they're all attached to their regular characters and we have a good storyline going. but yeah i wanted them to do some evil dragon/demon slaying
>>
>>53207074
>Add a ribbon and make sure it works narratively.
Noted! Thank you!

>Cane is stronger than the sword
I feel this is odd. It's basically a Finessable Mace vs a Shortsword & Finessable Club. I feel they are both pretty equal. Heck you can duel wield the shortsword and Club if you are so inclined to. To each his own I guess.
>>
What do you guys think about this? https://pt.scribd.com/doc/278947924/Star-Wars-D-D-5th-Edition-Conversion
>>
>>53207184
Then go for it, tell us how the fights go.
>>
>>53207206
>star wars d20

no
>>
>>53207166
I've only played a little, so I'd just say pick whichever suits the fancy. I like the idea of Battlemaster personally, but that's because I can two-hand and play a Warden from For Honor.

When the character "earns it," he can start taking Cleric or Paladin levels.
>>
>>53207206

i found my old d20 star wars PHB circa 2002 or so in my parents basement and started running a game with my 9 year old kid and his cousin.

wew lads theres a lot of arbitrary skills and rolls
>>
>>53207205
Well, yes, the two-weapon-fighting makes it better if you have spare bonus actions but yet...

Even if we did say the club was equal with the sword, that still feels silly. It's maybe good options-wise that they don't have to draw the sword at all and are perfectly fine keeping it ilke that, but it still seems odd that the only point to drawing the sword isn't to actually do more damage but is to instead effectively get a second weapon.
>>
Why can't Wizards make better adventures than Paizo? They always hit the mark with their APs.
>>
>>53206847
Treehuggers, treefuckers, hippies, useless cunts, ladyboy, and more.
>>
>>53207335
>tfw never finished red hand of doom because pathfinder wasn't fun to play
>>
>>53207255
I see it as a flavor and stylistic choice.
Though this is one of the reasons why I kinda wanted to give all three some type of unique property but I could not think of anything unique or interesting.
>>
>>53207360
Funny, Red Hand Of Doom is a D&D module.
>>
>>53207141
What level? My players fought two vrocks at level 5, party of 6. It was fucking CLOSE, scared the shit out of everyone. Might be worth it to explore throwing some tough fights at them.

Otherwise I'd say maybe have a summoner involved, so they're tangling with a mage, and vary the descriptions of your demons - use a swarm creature refluffed, giant snakes refluffed, etc.
>>
Critical Role BTFO
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/highrollers-uncharted-territory
>>
>>53206847
Plural: skinnies, squirrels
Singular: horse-face, dog-ear
>>
>>53207403
>World's biggest doctor who fan
Way to exaggerate.

I go to conventions every year where they have to fucking stop doing fucking everything when an episode of doctor who is released and all gather into a massive hall to watch it while spraying jelly babies everywhere.

And I do not recognize his face.
>>
>>53207384
Huh. My GM made it sound like a Pathfinder thing. So when I dropped him because he refused to try a new system, we never thought to try it again.
>>
Chris Perkins is really wasting his talents with those guys from Dice, Camera, Action. I like Jared, but everyone else is a mixed bag.
>>
>>53207393
I'm running an adventure soon with my players starting at level 1, so I'm looking for interesting demons to build some encounters with

Swarms are indeed a good idea to refluff, didn't think of them
>>
>>53207230

Update:

So i texted the other lads and they seem excited about it, only rule was no multiclass and made them choose a class they arent using in the main campaign.

one took half-orc cleric
second took tiefling warlock
third took half-elf monk

This going to be balanced? Overpowered? Underpowered? Should I give them an NPC to round out the party and absorb damage like a barb or fighter? to be honest ive only DMed 5e and would have fun experimenting as a nonconsequential NPC
>>
>>53207141
Specifically demons?

There's Barlgura (5), Quasits (1), Babau (4), and Maw Demons (1)

There's also Shadow Demons (4), who I really like the lore of for 5e. They're effectively undead demons. I'd make their ruler Tenebrous, and have him and Orcus be enemies for some unspecific reason.
The dark of this may be of the following: The current Orcus is a pretender, a powerful demon who is using the role, and Orcus' wand as a way to gain power.
Orcus is Orcus, but Tenebrous is his shadow, the part of him that remained behind and stayed as he once was.
Tenebrous isn't Orcus at all, but some other demon prince, possibly Thralhavoc the shadowmaster, who studied the undead shadows, so his transformation of himself and other demons into one could work out nicely.
Tenebrous is a rare Loumara lord, one of the few to exist. Formed from the dream of a dead god, Tenebrous' and Orcus are enemies because of their joint focus on undeath.
>>
>>53207335
They already did, SKT, CoS, OotA.
>>
>>53207335
Non-sequitur question, as Paizo never hits the mark on anything they do.
>>
>>53207494
It's not a bad show, I like it better than a lot of other rpg streamers. The characters are sometimes annoying as fuck though.
>>
>>53207509
You probably need a dmpc to round out the party. What archetypes have they chosen?
5e is generally pretty balanced.
>>
>>53207335
Some of their APs have been absolute horseshit.
>>
>>53207740

havent chosen archtypes yet just declared what their intended base class is going to be. knowing the guy who chose the cleric hes going to try to do more damage than heal
>>
>>53207494
Paultin's a useless dunce (or has been up to where I've watched, I'm only at episode 27) but otherwise they're fine.
Evelyn is the best.
>>
>>53207766
If the party is dedicated to fighting fiends and undead, a paladin might not be a bad idea. Otherwise a more dedicated arcane caster might be good.
Sounds good.
>>
>>53207777
Evelyn is pretty annoying but that's her character. Paultin has gotten a lot better.
>>
File: dc2.jpg (103KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
dc2.jpg
103KB, 400x400px
>>53207403
>Post yfw they turn out to be roughly the same in an attempt to recreate CR success
>>
>>53207766
Allowing UAs? Y/N?
>>
>>53207864

new to /tg/ can you tell me what UA means
>>
>>53207875
Unearthed Arcana classes, feats, blah. Playtesting official homebrew.
>>
>>53207886

ah thanks; no, playing with normies who never played D&D until i offered to DM after meeting these guys at work
>>
>>53207905
D&D isn't bad, it's more casual friendly this edition so that's good. I haven't been playing long either but my group have been.
Try seeing what UAs might interest them, a few are actually pretty good.

And of course this is your friend, this is so fucking good https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
>>
>>53207684
>>53207707
It's not that their adventures suck, but the editing is fucking terrible, everything is badly organized. Paizo always nails this.
>>
>>53207940

ive played many hours of pathfinder; and these guys were all interested in playing after hearing a podcast called The Adventure Zone. i told them i would happily DM since ive got experience doing it and i took them from level 1 to 9 just using the PHB and DMG.

to give myself some credit im a corporate trainer and am used to public speaking and doing silly voices so its a ton of fun for me to try out new material on these guys
>>
>>53207777
Are you kidding me? Evelyn is the fucking worst, she drains the immersion out of everything with her hillbilly act. I bet you are That Guy that is always cracking jokes every second.
>>
>>53207971
That's because Wizards modules are sandboxes freeroaming adventures, if you want linear shit by all means think Pathfinder APs are good.
>>
>>53207995
>It's a sandbox so everything is allowed to be disjointed and fucked up.

Please, read any reviews about 5e adventures and you will see people complaining about the lack of proper editing.
>>
>>53207977
You will find running a game in 5e a fucking godsend and not having to worry to autistically wrangle a spreadsheet simulator together is also goddamn great. However it does and will fall on you to creature a stimulating combat environment and include terrain/environment features for them to interact in and with.
The rules are also less autistic, if they think of something creative and it's within reason it's more often than not their action is allowed by the have fun, bro rule.
>>
>>53208013
DMs need to do some work, yes. PF APs trick the DMs by lulling therm into thinking they don't have to prep much, but in fact have to prep a shit ton.
What editing issues are there?
>>
>>53207815
Nah. British streamers are miles better at roleplaying.
>>
>>53208052
All the modules have vital information badly scattered throughout the book. SKT is the first one they tried to fix this by adding a flowchart, but it's still not perfect.
>>
>>53208034

yeah i fully embrace the lets just have fun bros rules. someone wants to try something ill think of a DC to roll against and see what happens. Rolling 1s on silly ideas allows me to have fun fucking with them too.
>>
The players have stumbled into the estate that is owned by a Vampire and his pet succubus.

Suggestions for traps they may find there?
>>
>>53208203

i think you just answered your own question lad

the succubus is a trap
>>
>>53208203
>>53208227
succubus (male)
>>
How do I get the guy whose playing a girl character to stop trying to flirt with my character?

I just want to be the angry cleric who goes on adventures.
>>
>>53208227
>>53208242
Both of you need god.
>>
>>53208244
Flirt back.
>>
>>53208054
I'm not denying that, I'm pointing out the marketing method of formula success. Look at pop stars and boy bands, modeled after a cookie cutter design because it sells. Look at CoD and how every one is trying to replicate their model.

It'd be nice but since it's WotC I doubt they'll get it right and let the streamers handle it mostly themselves.
>>
>>53208244

tell him you're pure and chaste in devotion to your deity
>>
>>53208244
Kill them
>>
>>53208242
I want you to die in a fire that starts from your asshole out because your boyfriend forgot to use lube.
>>
>>53208244
Tell him you dont like [their race] bitches.
>>
>>53208251
>>53208265
just a meme, boys
>>
>>53208244
Is there in-character reason for him (her) to flirt with you? If so, stop being fucking autistic just because the player is a dude.
>>
>>53208104
It's honestly not that big of an issue. But if it's that that elevates or demotes a product and not its quality, then you should keep playing pathfinder.
>>
>>53208292
Of course it is an issue. If you have to go through tons of trouble just to prepare the adventure, than the product is a fail. There is a reason while TLMOP is still the considered the best one, and that one came out with the Starter Set.
>>
>>53208273

Succubus traps are now officially going to be in all my sessions going forward
>>
>>53208110
Cool and good.
>>
Which one of you autists is making the next thread
>>
>>53208325
A philosophical question: is a succubus trap an androgynous incubus, or a succubus with a dick?
>>
>>53208323
That's all of Paizo's APs right there. You have to through a shit ton of prep work just to run them. Do you have a problem with them?
>>
>>53207994
Not especially, no.
But I bet you're That Guy who's always MUH SERIUS EDGEDARK that sucks the fun out of fucking everything with his mere presence.
>>
>>53208388
Yeah, i'm edgy because i think Curse Of Strahd should not be played like a slapstick comedy. Kill yourself.
>>
>>53208362
Depends on whether succubi/incubi are defined by their sexual characteristics or role in sex
>>
>>53208362

sexy female succubus with a cute feminine benis
>>
>>53208400
Well then maybe you shouldn't watch DCA because Perkins himself has been running it with strong amounts of comedy from episode 1.
My main source of gothic vampireness has been Castlevania so I'm good with a lack of taking things seriously in that element.
>>
>>53208440
Not really, i watched since the beginning. Perkins tried his best to inject some drama, but he just gave up when he realized the kind of players they were.
>>
>>53208244
Flirt back and if it escalates fug him
>>
>>53208400
>Curse Of Strahd should not be played like a slapstick comedy.
There is literally a character in the module called Sir Klutz who fell on his own sword and died.
>>
>>53208526
> A little humor in the graves means the whole adventure is bonkers.

You have to go back.
>>
>>53200905
>All play warlocks
>Trick out your eb
>take spellsniper
>throw ropers around by blasting them inside magical darkness with your warlock bros

Id play it
>>
I'm running a game over Roll20 and was going to set up macros for all the Monsters but honestly seems like a lot of effort.

Would just rolling the dice in person with the Player's AC and telling the players whether or not they get hit be a good idea? Something about that seems wrong though.
>>
>>53208578
dude you have GM rolls in roll20
>>
>>53208578
Why would you do that? Just roll in Roll20, same as the players.
>>
>>53208362
Depends, is it on top or bottom?
>>
>>53208617
>>53208619
Honestly I know I'll accidentally mess up the whisper part and show it to the players a lot.

I'm pretty new with the thing and still trying to figure everything out in it. Right now I'm trying to set up the macro for actions for skeletons because there's a lot of them but I'm not really sure how to do it.
>>
>>53208362
Succubuses drain mortal men, incubuses drain female mortals. They don't have genders themselves.
It's that simple.
>>
>>53208654
What's the problem with the players seeing yourrolls? Are they a bunch of pussies and you wanna pull the punches?
>>
>>53208677

Not him but I sometimes find it necessary to fudge rolls
>>
>>53208677
That plus if they're kicking ass in a hard encounter I'll ramp up the difficulty.

Also I don't like them knowing monster's attack and damage rolls because they always find ways to exploit that.

I found a way to do it though so I should be good.
>>
File: 7456790976574.png (13KB, 372x165px) Image search: [Google]
7456790976574.png
13KB, 372x165px
How do l ask for an lnvestigation check without being obvious there's something to be found, even if the player fails?
>>
>>53208831

>bro i need you to make a perception check
>you notice the barrel in the corner appears to be a bit odd
>>
New thread >>53208872
>>
>>53208849
lts more like
>you see a barrel trying to be friendly and shit, make a perception check real quick
>lT'S ACTUALLY A MlMlC
alternativelly
>haha it's nothing bro haha
>>
>>53208711
You can just hide their HP. No need to worry about anything else.
Thread posts: 380
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.