[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 452
Thread images: 38

Fifth Edition General Discussion Thread

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/7e74b19937c1

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/...
>>53084207

Which magic item could a player most easily break your game with?
>>
>>53091996
The Deck of Many Things is usually the answer.

Shutouts to Luck Blades, sufficiently intelligent players can word a wish in such a way that any campaign would be derailed unless the DM straight up broke the game to say no.
>>
>>53092237
>Word a Wish
Nothing but a meme, wishes aren't granted by some force of literalization or metaphor, they are either granted by an outside source, or attained through self study. In either case, grammar nazis don't control the outcome, and only bad DMs will pull that shit. If a creature is bound/forced to grant a wish, and has to do so literally for some reason, whatever, but that isn't generally the case outside of actual contract wishes.
>>
>>53092285
>t. fag who wants to break the game with wish
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 700x590px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 700x590px
Our lv 12 Land Druid and Conjuration Wizard are going to have a 3 round Pokemon battle with summons, who will win?
>>
>>53092367
How exactly does wish break anything?

Wish has some pretty big limitations, and at the point where you should get it, the things you are fighting can't just be wished away.

And then it has a good chance of never working again.
>>
So I want to make a dedicated healer/support character. I'm heavily considering life cleric, but I'm wondering if it'd be worth taking any levels in paladin to compliment it.
>>
>>53092438
I play a life cleric in our CoS campaign, but so far I've felt more like a tank along our Barbarian.
>>
>>53092438
I don't think taking a level or two in paladin is worth it. You don't get anything from it.
>>
>>53092392
the land druid because it gets more than three summon spells
>>
>>53092438
Are you going to be melee? Is that why you wanted to go paladin?
If you want to be melee healer man then go 3 levels into hexblade bladelock so you can get the massive hexblade smites, melee cantrips, and some other free shit
>>
>>53092438
If anything, you should be taking a few levels of bard.
>>
>>53092451
That's what I want. To be a tanky healer.

>>53092452
I see

>>53092564
It's mainly incase I end up in melee. I'd rather be able to handle myself a little than be a sitting duck

>>53092572
Why bard?
>>
>>53092605
>Why bard?
Song of rest and basic inspiration.
>>
>>53092643
True, good mechanics. Hard to explain in terms of story though.
>>
>>53092285
>MM, Variant: Genie Powers
>Depending on the genie's nature, the genie might try to pervert the intent of the wish by exploiting the wish's poor wording. The perversion of the wording is usually crafted to be to the genie's benefit.
>>
What the fuck is Orcus doing there?
>>
>>53092655
It really isn't though
>>
>>53092859
Why would a cleric want to become a bard? Who would he be able to find to teach him these bardic skills?
>>
Is 5e really doing poorly?
Is 5e really as bland as others have made it out to be?
>>
>>53092605
In melee you can just use the cantrip sacred flame or the new UA cantrip toll the dead
since they're not ranged attacks you won't be penalized for it
>>
>>53092865
You're looking at classes in an obtuse way.
Classes can just be abstraction for your character's abilities.
You didn't literally "take a level in bard", you became able to inspire your allies with words, something I think fits religious preacher types just fine.
I think a lot of people try to make this into a problem and I don't see the benefit. Classes don't need to be so rigid.
>>
>>53092867
It definitely isn't doing poorly.
Some people find it bland.
>>
>>53092890
Hmm, that's an interesting way of looking at it. I'm just very used to clearly defined archetypes. Anywhere I could read more about this idea?
>>
Oh shit, /5eg/, it's time to roll up for the new campaign!
What's the coolest non-standard (human, elf, dwarf) race out there? I'm talking Kenku, Genasi, etc. I'd love to hear what race you love and why they're great.
>>
>>53092867
It's pretty good. Not a lot of options but then again this prevents system bloating. Everything is intuitive (roller always wins when you match the DC), including combat options. Once you know your options you'll pretty much never forget them again.

The books are very streamlined except for some mistakes like starting packages being kinda hard to find at first.

That said, adventurer's league is really bad. Removes GM (and player) agency; one of the greatest aspects of tabletop roleplaying. The scenarios are good for inspirations, though.
>>
File: Diabolist.png (41KB, 752x513px) Image search: [Google]
Diabolist.png
41KB, 752x513px
To the other folk who got A Touch of Class to be an edgy-demon-man, we got screwed over.

Seems like they put all their effort into the Morph, Alchemist, and Cardcasters.
>>
>>53092867
Super bland compared to 3.5 master ed
>>
File: 1491845096314.jpg (4KB, 114x125px) Image search: [Google]
1491845096314.jpg
4KB, 114x125px
>>53092867
Nah
>>
I miss prestige classes
>>
>>53092865
The Choir instructor obviously.
>>
>>53092988
They made one for UA. Rune something or other.
>>
File: c2648c0378e1d051ba766349f4511d0e.jpg (102KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
c2648c0378e1d051ba766349f4511d0e.jpg
102KB, 1024x768px
I'll ask again for funsies and general brainstorming since I didn't get much last time.
I'm about to get in to a campaign based in a greek mythology-type setting. The Greek pantheon has been confirmed to be in use, and the only things that've been banned are Aarakocra, Artificer, and Mystic.

Do you guys got any ideas for PC ideas? Nothing I have would be relevant for it. I'm not ENTIRELY certain if they'd allow other mythology-type things in it, but it's possible they might.
>>
>>53093021
That could honestly have been a feat instead.
>>
>>53092392
Assuming DM lets them choose conjures, and the conjures only attack each other and not the caster, then whoever summons first should lose because the other caster will summon something to counter it. Druid has the edge because of more options Conjure Fey, Conjure Woodland Beings and Conjure Animals not being available to Wizards, while Conjure Minor Elementals and Conjure Elemental are. Be interesting to see 16 mephits vs a Galeb Duhr though.
>>
>>53091996
>I really hope dust and midway have actual stuff for the players.
>>
>>53092836
Looking to get his shit ruined by psionic blasts.
>>
>>53093070
Well, here's a couple of ideas:

Minotaur Fighter (Champion) with the Noble background - Descendant of Asterion, Minoan Prince, and pious servant of the gods.

Human Barbarian (Zealot) with the Soldier background - You are like Akhilleus, searching for your moment of Aristeia, Excellence. That one moment in battle where you will live forever. Even if you die afterwards.

Tiefling (SCAG variant with Devil's Tongue) Warlock (Fey) with the Hermit background - Nearest you can come to a Satyr. Your pact is with Pan or Dionysus (So if you go bladelock, you're probably best off having a quarterstaff or club as a Thyrsus)

Dragonborn Sorcerer (Favoured Soul) with the Sage background - You're a descendant of Python, servant of Gaia. Your ancestor was slain by jealous Apollo, as it guarded Delphi. You carry Python's gift of prophecy in your blood, making you an oracle just as great as any of Apollo's. They just really don't like you.
>>
>>53093361
Legendary Resistance, and he doesn't give a shit.
>>
I don't get Gnomes. Where are they supposed to fit, in terms of flavor? I guess they're still better than tieflings and half-breeds
>>
>>53093401
Weird little midgets that like messing with stuff
>>
>>53093401
They are to halflings what elves are to humans
>>
>>53093443
Jerks?
>>
>>53093454
yes
>>
>Can everyone be there on X?
>Everyone says yes
>1 day before D&D day
>"haha I cant come guys I have other plans"
This is not ok
>>
>>53092836
Elder brain is ded. Orcus is reviving it.
>>
>>53093468
This. I really don't understand.
>>
>>53093512
Good Guy Orcus.
>>
>>53093468
Play without them. If repeated, kick them from the game. I'd rather play without you than not play at all.
>>
Okay, how do I make a necromancer? The necromancy wizard school subclass seems lacking.
>>
>>53093546
He just wants some undead friends to play with
>>
>>53093562
Using the necromancy wizard sub school and taking necromancy spells
>>
got a group of 5 level 9-11 people

is a Death Knight a bit much for a boss fight? i'll probably just use the monster manual stats for it
>>
>>53092438
Since the new UA came out I started playing a Life Cleric 1/ Favoured Soul 3

Makes a great tanky utility healer.
>>
>>53093612
If the death knight is alone they will be fine
>>
File: DaemonsandDevils.png (129KB, 784x577px) Image search: [Google]
DaemonsandDevils.png
129KB, 784x577px
>>53093562
That's probably the best option right now, evil clerics can't even command undead instead of turning.
If you're allowed homebrew, then the Diabolist from A Touch of Class has a bunch of undead options
>>
>>53093618
i'll toss in a few skellingtons every now and then but yeah he's mostly solo
>>
Is Colossal not a thing anymore?
>>
I still don't get sorcerers, if you are so naturaly good at magic why won't you just fucking learn it like any normal wizard does and be especially good at it.
>>
>>53093648
It should be okay, what's the party composition? I'm guessing they'll be weathered when they face him?
>>
>>53093658
2 bards, a rogue, barb, and wiz. at around 70-80% since iirc i gave em a short rest after clearing out the middle third of the dungeon
>>
>>53093650
They aren't naturally good at magic. Its just a part of them
>>
>>53093684
They should be fine then as long as the barb has health and a rage and the bards/wizard have some spell slots
>>
>>53093540
>>53093557
I am not the DM and we decided to just play a board game instead
>>
How would you word spell sharing.

When you cast [buff spell on self], you may have that spell also effect 1 creature within 30 feet of you.

When a creature within 30 feet of you casts [buff spell on themselves or an ally] you may have that spell also effect you.
>>
>>53093699
Well I mean shouldn't it kinda make you consider pursuing your knowledge in magic if you already have some magical powers from birth?
Like wouldn't someone with natural magic abilities be a better wizard than some pleb?
It just always seemed kinda weird to me.
>>
>>53093734

Wizardry is math, Sorcery is art.
>>
Is regaining spent x/Day abilities after a short rest very unbalancing?
>>
>>53093385
I really do appreciate all these ideas. So far the team's looking to be a Minotaur of undetermined class and an Elf styled as something more fitting as a Ranger.
>>
>>53093734
Difference in manifestation.

The Wizard uses a rote formula to manipulate magical energies to produce a spell. These formulae are contained in their spellbook.

A sorcerer channels their innate magical energies to produce a spell (for example spell points), needing no formula to do so, but also meaning they don't have as many options.

You can, however, combine these effects, but you need to be more skilled in manipulating your innate magical energies (i.e. reached third level for metamagic) which you can then use to boost your rote spells by flowing in extra power (spell points)
>>
>>53093786
Er sorry, sorcery points.
>>
>>53093763

If x is less than or equal to 2, it's on long rest
If x is greater than or equal to 2, it's 1 or 2 on a short rest
>>
>>53093799

>If x is greater than or equal to 2, it's 1 or 2 on a short rest
If x is greater than 2, it's 1 or 2 on a short rest

I'm sorry, I haven't slept.
>>
>>53093605
What is this from?
>>
>>53093799
>>53093825
Once more in English please. I'm new to 5e.
>>
My party attacked the statue in the Amber Temple.... They were so smart, what happened?

Even going easy on them they are going to die. They're not even breaking Nefron's line of sight!
>>
>>53093841
I assumed you were converting a 3.5 system to 5e.

Yes, giving long rest abilities on short rests makes caasters way too good again. Everyone in the party should take 2 levels of divination wizard.
>>
>>53093841
Yes. think of it like this, one of the strengths of martials is that they can truck on after a short rest. Yes they will lack some resources but they can still do a lot of stuff.

Meanwhile casters need long rests to gain their spells back.
>>
>>53093849
Although I'm out of 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th level spells. He only has fireball left to do serious damage with. If the party can get a shot or two in before he runs they might bring him down.
>>
>>53093786
I just don't understand lore wise why won't someone with innate magical abilitied decide to actually study magic and instead just rolls with milking what they have.
Is wizard magic and sorcerer magic not the same thing then, in that sorcerer powers won't give you any benefits in studying wizard magic?
>>
>>53093872
>>53093876
No worries, and I get what you mean with the notations now. Cheers for the advice, will keep that in mind.
>>
File: Penthesilea.jpg (36KB, 537x669px) Image search: [Google]
Penthesilea.jpg
36KB, 537x669px
>>53093782
You could also do an Amazon as a human (or Aasimar) Paladin of Conquest with the Outlander background. Focus on their warrior nature and worship/descent from Ares.

Or a Goliath Forge Cleric as one of Haephestus' Cyclopean worshippers.

If you want to be from another country, you could go for a human wizard (theurge) from Egypt as a worshipper of Thoth/Hermes.
>>
>>53093836
Sounds like Out of the Abyss.
>>
>>53093906
Not directly, you'd need metamagic to affect wizardy spells.

But there're several reasons. Most commonly that they don't have the opportunity to learn.

From a small village with no wizard tower, they have to teach themselves magic through experimentation.
>>
>>53093836
Last page of Volo's Guide
>>
Does Intensify Spell exist yet in 5e?
>>
>>53093991
Of course not, 5e doesn't have epic level.
>>
>>53093961
Well that's where I have problem with this explanation, like not every sorcerer comes from the same background right?
What if this person would be born in the big city with a wizard guild or something like this. Like you can kinda write them becoming rogues or warriors with arcane trickster or eldrich knight, but what if it's someone with innate magical powers who goes to become a wizard?
>>
>>53094004
You don't really need an explanation anymore since Ability Score isn't tied in to spell levels available. There's no reason for sorcerer not to just be a subclass of wizard.
>>
>>53094048
Well shit I guess I need to read rules more, still haven't got used to 5e that much.
>>
>>53093920
Paladins have been something I've been considering, too, or a Warforged as some sort of thing Haephestus or someone of the like created. Honestly, the only thing I want to avoid considering is a full caster, because in all two of the campaigns I've been in I've played a Sorcerer and Wizard respectively, the latter because I was shoehorned in to it.
One of the first things that comes to mind that I'd like to make is a Triton paladin, but I can't recycle my old idea entirely, at least since I don't quite know of a proper underwater civilization or the like in Greek myth, only a few scattered monsters, Poseidon and some demigods.
>>
>>53094078

The general fluff is that wizards use their book smarts while sorcerers just feel it out. Sorcerers don't go to wizard school because the structure and method of learning doesn't fit with them. A sorcerer could go to wizard school, and do alright, but they would be learning in a suboptimal fashion for the way they work. This is shown in stats by their spells being less accurate and more easily resisted.

Wizards learn by books and studying, their knowledge of the arcane translates into precise, powerful application. Boring, cold, effective.

Sorcerers learn by doing. Their methods may not always have rhyme or reason, and they may be flashy as hell for no reason, but the difference between each sorcerer's method puts them all at an advantage.
>>
Could I please get some advice as to the following wording?

The Morninglord Lathander deals damage that is divine in nature. This damage ignores resistances and deals half as much damage to creatures with immunity to the damage type.

His puissance over the dawn means fire and radiant spells cast by him are always considered to be empowered.
>>
>>53093920
>>53094086
Ah, and something I was just told is that it's simply heavily "inspired" by it and isn't actually in Greece itself.
>>
What are some good uses of the rogues Fast Hands?
"Starting at 3rd level, you can use the Bonus Action granted by your Cunning Action to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, use your thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock, or take the Use an Object action".
>>
Anyone have a warforged pc pdf?
>>
Why are Eldritch Knights so shit? It's a cool idea but they're completely fucking pointless until at least level 7 and you don't get to cast a non-cantrip and attack until level 18! 18! You can't do the whole point of the class until level 18. Shite.

>how would you fix Eldritch Knights?
>>
>>53094004
Well, if that's what you're wanting for a character archetype, you'll probably want to go with a varhuman wizard with the magic initiate feat.
>>
What are the best feats for wizard? Is it worth going variant human just for a feat?
>>
>>53094184
I dunno, a fighter than can give himself haste, cast shield and (provided you took the war caster feat, which you should as an eldritch knight) has the biggest opportunity attacks in the game seems pretty alright to me
>>
>>53094126
It's just sounds a bit weird that someone with innate magical powers would be worse, or same at best, of a wizard than a common pleb who rolled into a wizard school.
>>53094189
Well, pretty much, it's just before I never paid attention to sorcerers who seemed just like some weak meme wizards, but now I got some questions about what to acctually do with them and how do they work.
>>
"You prepare the list of cleric spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the cleric spell list. When you do so, choose a number of cleric spells equal to your wisdom mod + cleric level. The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots."

Sorry, I'm a bit new to 5e and I've never actually played a cleric before. Does this mean Cleric's don't have a set spell list they can prepare from like Wizards? They just prepare from all the spells available to clerics at the time? Or did I miss something?
>>
>>53094184
Paladin smite, but with arcane spells. Cantrips can be cast in place of extra attack.
>>
>>53094211
War caster
Con saving throws
Alert
Tough
and no
>>
>>53094234
Sorcerers are better at social stuff, so that's fun.

>but muh lore bard

Yeah, Sorcerer is sub optimal. The fun is in playing up your ancestry. There's only 2 good ways to play wizard, Gandalf or Voldemort. Sorcerers are every interesting caster.
>>
>>53094211
Alert is pretty silly if you're going War Mage, I've found. That sweet sweet +10 to Initiative is nice.

But probably not, in general.
>>
>>53094173
Healers kit with the Healer feat.
Droping caltrops.
Throwing vials of Acid or Alchemists fire.
>>
>>53094287
Isn't throwing an attack action?
>>
>>53094276
Sorcerers are just so much worse than Wizard that it makes them really frustrating to play in my opinion.

One of the most damning things is that Sorcs get access to Polymorph, but not True Polymorph for whatever reason. It seems so nonsensical to me.

Anything Sorcerers can do, Wizards can do better.

I'd probably be fine with Sorcs if they got some more spells than they do, and had access to the same list as Wizards.
>>
>>53094159
>Damage dealt by the Morninglord Lathander is divine in nature, ignoring resistances and dealing half as much damage to creatures with immunity to the damage type.

>His puissance over the dawn means that he can reroll a number of the damage dice up to his Charisma modifier when casting fire and radiant spells. He must use the new rolls.
>>
>>53094295
Why doesn't each ancestry option come with a theme list of free spells?
>>
>>53094294
Actually is there a ruling about using Vials of Acid etc. via Fast Hands?
>>
>>53094295
And then they made lore master. Where they gave a bunch of things which should be sorcerer features to wizards instead, namely spell secrets and master of magic
>>
File: y9hj5gk.png (20KB, 842x217px) Image search: [Google]
y9hj5gk.png
20KB, 842x217px
>>53094327
Yup. It's actually just better metamagic.

I mean, I get that they're WIZARDS of the Coast, but come on this is like wizards who got bullied in magic school making a ruleset later as revenge.

>>53094322
I honestly couldn't tell you.

That would also help.

A revised Sorcerer might be a decent homebrew project, but I don't know enough about game balance to try that.
>>
>>53094295
>Anything Sorcerers can do, Wizards can do better.
That's why I never actually played them.
And by lore it just seemed too streamlined into "lul I'm born with magical powers I don't have to learn shit" to roleplay even compared to wizards.
>>
Are there any good modules for level 3 characters? Official or DM's Guild, it doesn't matter. Even willing to adapt things from older/other editions
>>
>>53094295
I know, it sucks. it's just WotC's blatant hardon for the wizard.

>>53094327
I legit got a little upset about lore master. I was making a sorc sub class and they used like half my ideas for it, and gave it to fucking wizard. Good thing it's UA and I don't have to allow it.
>>
>>53094232

No haste until at least level 13 for an EK. They make a bit more sense at higher levels but they just choose between being a shit wizard and a shit fighter for most of the game.
>>
>>53094310
Oh sweet, thanks heaps!

How about
>his pussiance over the dawn means fire and radiant spells are always empowered when cast?
>>
Could I reverse pickpocket something onto someone for great effect using fast hands?
>>
>>53094386
I don't see why not.
>>
>>53094245

Paladin Smite, but with arcane spells....at level 18. There's not many cantrips that are significantly better than an extra attack anyway, even without the bonuses/manoeuvres other fighter builds will have at that point.
>>
How is Sharpshooter fighter?
>>
>>53094381
What does empowered mean?
Having to flip the PHB to search for metamagic is not gonna be nice.
If you do it anyway add the PHB page where Empowered spell is in parentheses.
>>
>>53094086
>>53094163
Well, these these can work with some alterations anyway.

As for Tritons, I'd forgotten about them, but they'd be brilliant.

I'd say for a Greek feel, keep them as children of Poseidon, the sea monsters they feud with (as mentioned in Volo's guide) are the children of the primordial sea gods: the Cetoi. These would include sahuagin, kraken, morkoi, merrow, aquatic dragons, aboleth, etc.
Their society is likely to be Spartan (for the pun as well), a great military city state with many outlying fortified villages.
>>
>>53094354
I feel like most of their problems could be solved by giving them actually good metamagic options
Namely, turn the Lore Master's spell secrets feature into two separate metamagic options, then turn the evocation wizard's overchannel into a really expensive metamagic option
>>
File: Sorcerer - New Metamagic.pdf (42KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer - New Metamagic.pdf
42KB, 1x1px
>>
>>53094358
Funny, the whole "anything sorcerers can do, wizards can do better" is why I personally will never play a Wizard

Sorcerer has a bunch of good ideas in it, but they've all been stamped down in order to make wizards better by comparison, while wizard is boring as fuck
>>
>>53094354
>>53094434
Well they made a Ranger into a decent class in UA, maybe the time for a Sorc will come too someday.
>>
>>53094409
Good points, I could include both the fact that the spells become empowered and its effects, so flipping through the PHB won't be needed. Thanks heaps.
>>
>>53094409
Empowered is the same as what it was before
>>
>>53092867
Highest sales volume of any edition
I'm having a blast playing it
>>
>>53094441
I probably should have noted it somewhere, the numbers are sorc point requirements
>>
So in my DM's setting our the PCs have been transported to the end of time, where just a magical tower (that we've been revived by a wizard to explore, in exchange for a wish) remains.
I'm a new player, so what could my motivation as a character be?
>>
>>53094474
I don't think you understood the point of that post.
>>
>>53094447
The Sorcerer is still basicaly "Wizard with a funny gimmick". He's bad, it feels bad, it plays bad, is one of the least played classes since its inception, and it will continue to be bad for seven more editions.
>>
>>53094490

What level, class are you? How long is the adventure supposed to take? How did you join the party? What were you doing before you were transported?
>>
File: Eldritch Knight.jpg (263KB, 999x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Knight.jpg
263KB, 999x1400px
>>53094375
To be fair, you still get the 'base' fighter package which isn't bad. You're investing for the versatility of being a spellcaster if you're going EK.

I think it's kind of shitty that you don't get to full-spell and weapon attack until 18, but playing an EK has been a lot of fun for me. I'm playing it as optimized as I can, and while I'm certainly not as powerful as a fully min-maxed character, it's by no means a weak class.

The best part of being an EK is that because you have spell slots you get to use magic wands and shit.
>>
>>53094511

I've been toying with taking Sharpshooter and Archery and being a sniper who casts True Strike as a laser sight. True Strike is such a bad spell though, you might as well just attack twice. I think Weapon Bond is pretty disappointing too, you should get to turn it into a +1 weapon or something. Get a bonus to represent the bond.
>>
>>53094501
Sorcerer can be used for far more character options than wizard

sorcerer is inherent power, and since it only has access to one set of spells, instead of preparing from a great big list of spells, you can build its spell list to make a sorcerer into, say, a time mage, or a pyromancer, or something else beyond "generic do anything magic"
>>
>>53094547
Flavor is a poor reason to pick a mechanically inferior class because the mechanical inferiority makes it dicks to play.

I would know, I picked Sorc for flavor reasons and my DM bailed me out by giving me the option to swap to Wizard.
>>
>>53094582
What made it so bad to play? I've played from 1-6 so far and it hasn't been bad.
>>
>>53094582
Not if sorcerer is closer to the general power of the rest of the classes in the game than wizard
>>
How much would it cost me to buy everything 5e related?
>>
>>53094354
>If the spell's range is at least 30 feet, it becomes one mile
The fuck?
>>
>>53093731
I'd look at the spell Find Steed as a template. Basically "When you cast a spell with target [self], you can also make that spell target your mount."

It's meant to be for buffs. When someone rules-lawyers to try and use cone of cold twice just tell them to fuck off.
>>
I wonder if I can convince my DM to let me use charisma as my casting stat as an evocation wizard as long as I never change which spells I prepare each day beyond adding new ones
>>
>>53094243
Yes they prepare from all spells available to clerics. As do Druids and paladins.

Rangers, sorcerers and warlocks have a number of spells known. Then wizards have their own spellcasting rules.
>>
>>53094602
Like $250
>>
>>53094614
Damn
>>
Not played D&D in a while and was gonna get some friends and DM for them.

One of them said he wants to try one of the UA Things, the Hexblade. Which made me think of something.

How exactly would a Hexblade work with Pact of the Blade? It seems kind of counterproductive. I mean he can't make his Hexblade a Pact Weapon, do they just not use it?
>>
>>53094582
Your DM looks like a dick to play with for banning an actual base game class and encouraging powerplay.
>>
>>53094605
This actually made me check how metamagic compared.
>When you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell.
And the lore master would only be paying the equivalent of 2 sorcery points. Ahahahahaha
>>
>>53094594
Personally, the lack of spell availability killed my interest in advancing.

It wasn't exciting to reach a new level and get one spell from a list that's utterly dwarfed by Wizard.

Wizard gets more spells, and at least in low levels, can prepare more spells than the sorcerer knows.

Hell, I think that divide stays because Wizard can prepare an extra spell for every new level, and Sorc only gets one new spell per level. It's just really disappointing that you're stuck feeling like garbage wizard the whole time. Metamagic simply isn't powerful enough to make it work.

Things could be better if you got more metamagics, and had more options. That would let the Sorc diversify without needing to get more spells, just by making variations on ones they have.

I guess it's possible that I was just the wrong type of player for Sorcerer, but I really liked the flavor of Wild Magic. It's just all so underwhelming.

>>53094595
Well they need to do something to fix it. Either bring Sorc in line with Wiz, or Wiz in line with Sorc. Until then it's still frustrating.

>>53094662
He only offered because I mentioned I wasn't enjoying feeling like a crappy wizard, and we're still in the early stages of our campaign.

And where did you get anything about banning an actual base class, what the fuck?
>>
What would be some fun enemies to staff in a brewery dungeon?

Right now I'm leaning towards fae tricksters making a mess of the place.
>>
>>53094662
>banning
>>53094582
>giving me the option
?
>>
>>53094510
>level 1
>wizard
>I have no idea, but the tower is gargantuan and each floor is drastically different, with towns and shit
>the wizard just revived us and told us "you either explore the tower, report to me and get your wish or you go back to being dead"
>I was discovering america with Pedro Alvares Cabral in 1500 (the world is essentially "real history but DnD", Hitler could have been an elf and etc) and got killed by a sea monster
>>
Can I get a rundown on a druid/rogue multiclass? Would it be better to be a Druid and dip into rogue or a rogue that dips into druid?
>>
>>53094243
That's correct. Clerics, druids, and paladins have their entire spell list available when they prepare spells in the morning.

Additionally, clerics and paladins (and land druids I think) get their domain spells automatically prepared for free.
>>
>>53094677
>Well they need to do something to fix it. Either bring Sorc in line with Wiz, or Wiz in line with Sorc. Until then it's still frustrating.

Making the Loremaster abilities Metamagic would be a nice step. At least.

(Giving them some exclusive spells would also be nice)
>>
>>53094672
I wonder how the development of Lore Master went?

>Wizards are just better sorcerers right? Let's give it a bunch of sorcerer features and make them even better
>>
>>53094677
>>53094682
>banning
Nah sorry got distracted and misunderstood it.
>>
>>53094703
Imo, it's always best to at least start as a rogue, just for all those skills.
>>
>>53094692

Sounds like your motivation is just succeed so you're not dead anymore, welcome to the railroad. You're a wizard though, so you probably want to unravel the mysteries of how this place at the end of time works.
>>
>>53094712
Sorcerer doesn't need exclusive spells, it just needs spells from everywhere

Give sorcerers moonbeam and destructive wave
>>
>>53094739
That's another good idea.

Also, make the sorcery points thing even more important, instead of getting slots they just get a bunch more sorcery points.
>>
I really want to play dnd as a player, but the game in 2 hours is probably the worst I've ever seen.

I dunno dc10
>>
>>53094723
The part that gets me is that they just went with a range of ONE FUCKING MILE instead of going for any sort of reasonable scale. 5280 feet. As in, "don't bother checking if you're in range because you always are", or "the guy on the other side of the village and outside of the scene is still in range btw".
>>
>>53094412
How well do you figure that'd work with my original idea for a Triton paladin? The original thought was that he would be out and about to acquire prestige/honor/glory/whatever for his people, as well as hopefully himself in order to gain his princess/waifu's hand.
>>
>>53094649
What makes you think they can't make their hexblade into the pact weapon? There are invocations in the UA that specifically require pact of the blade and hexblade patron.
>>
>>53094842

>"You can't affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way"
>>
>>53094828
Tritons are shit. They are a race that lives entirely underwater, and lack Darkvision. They would all had be eaten by Sahuagin by now, making the race extinct.
>>
>>53094828
That sounds perfect, especially as some of the sea gods' monsters are on land, such as Echidna and her children. So slaying them could prove your worth -- especially in an alien environment.

Other options could include:
Maybe you're exiled for some failing by Triton standards.
Maybe you're on some pilgrimage to a great temple to Poseidon (or equivalent deity)

Of course, remember you'd probably end up laconic, so look up examples of spartan humour:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconic_phrase
>>
Can you switch between weapon during attack similar to choosing to grapple or shoving?
>>
>>53094679
Animated Armor Janitors
An extra strong brew Black Pudding in a barrel
>>
>>53094873
Didn't notice that. I think RAW you're right, but RAI I can't imagine why your bloodthirsty weapon would refuse to bond with you.
>>
>>53094876
They're photic zone dwellers, the sunlit shallows.

Their lands are the plateaus, the seamounts, the coastlines.

They're the ones who keep the sahuagin forced into the dark depths.
>>
>>53094968
Well shit. I bought it. I like this premise. Anon, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
>>53094945
Only if the other weapon you want to attack with is in the other hand
>>
>>53094408
Dispenses long range death with furious justice, and thanks to Archery fighting style you're a lot more likely to hit.

People rag on GWM+PAM, but Sharpshooter+Crossbow Expert does the exact same except it trades the bonus action attack for 400 foot range.
>>
>>53094778
Explain
>>
>>53094984
Since the game states that you can draw and attack at the same time, and there's no rule for dropping weapons, he could in theory, attack with a weapon, drop the weapon just because he can, and extra attack with another weapon using the same hand.
>>
>>53095017
>Since the game states that you can draw and attack at the same time, and there's no rule for dropping weapons, he could in theory, attack with a weapon, drop the weapon just because he can, and extra attack with another weapon using the same hand.
I'm pretty sure by RAW you only get one draw for free with your attack per turn.
>>
>>53095010
You mean trades out the reaction.

Also trades out compatibility with certain other things like wolf barbarian or sentinel or whatever, and being weaker in conjunction with champion and such.

Still, it's good.

>>53094408
Compared to a (revised) ranger, it's better single-target damage but no AoE. Also unlike a warlock no additional effects such as pushback on every shot unless you use battlemastery.
>>
>>53094983
Thank you. Glad it's an acceptable rationalization.
>>
>>53095010
What?

The range is 120 feet, and you still have a bonus action attack
>>
>>53095072
sharpshooter fighter doesnt use a hand crossbow because they need their special action for Steady Aim which gives them all their damage, so they use a heavy crossbow with crossbow expert to maximize their damage.
>>
>>53095072
I was considering heavy crossbow, but I suppose the sharpshooter bonus dwarfs the damage die so yeah, hand crossbow would be the way to go.
>>
How do you manage Feats at your table? Do you allow them, or not? Why? Are there any you don't allow players to choose?
>>
File: IMG_1405.jpg (63KB, 510x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1405.jpg
63KB, 510x700px
I don't understand why people pick on Sorcerers and Warlocks so much for not having spell variety when that was the entire intent to begin with. The whole idea is Sorcerers cast fewer spells then Wizards, but they cast them better (metamagic). And Warlocks cast fewer, but are able to cast more often (recharged on a short rests). Those concepts work when you go beyond the theorycraft and actually play with them.
>>
>>53095110
Lucky is the only feat I don't allow, because it's too many get out of jail free cards per day.

Also flavourfully, the idea that you suddenlt develop incredible luck doesn't sit quite right.
>>
>>53095105
Oh right, sharpshooter is an archetype now, not just a feat

Don't know why though, most of it's features are present in feats that you should be taking anyway
>>
Druid/rogue? Viable or nah?
>>
>>53095139
The problem is that wizard archetypes are better than sorcerer archetypes and the archetype features are often better than any metamagic option, and they can prepare more spells than sorcerers can know. So in the actual game, the wizard can cast more spells than the sorcerer AND cast them better
>>
>>53095139
The problem is Metamagic doesn't make up for the disparity in options, and also the Sorcerer options are often straight worse than Wizard ones at the same thing. For example, no Sorcerer will ever be as good a blaster as an Evocation Wizard.
>>
>>53095139
Once you "actually play" a warlock you're stuck spamming Eldritch Blast 90% of the time, and using at least 1 of your highly limited, cool, class-exclusive powers to make Eldritch Blast better. In order to do ANYTHING else at ANY significant amount, you have to either use horribly suboptimal builds like a bladelock or convince your group to take several short rests per day which
>>
>>53095190
can bog down a session tremendously*
>>
>>53095190
>sub optimal builds

I don't think role playing games are for you
>>
Are any magic weapons good for someone that only gets one attack per round?
>>
>>53095241
Warlock is already a class whose only virtue is combat and some very, very limited utility if you pick the right invocations because you learn such a pathetic amount of spells and get so few spell slots there's no reason to build anything but a combat monster. If you're horrible at combat too there's no incentive left to play a warlock at all instead of just playing a real caster and leaving the damage to the martials.
>>
>>53094968
This conjures up the idea of Triton watchtowers and walls over a sea trench, lit during the night by bioluminescent sea-life in lamps. Watchful Triton guards keeping an eye out for Sahuagin night raids.
>>
>>53092945
Post the pdf
>>
>>53094649
The Hexblade is your patron.
>>
>>53095292
Exactly. Warlocks were a shit idea anyway
>>
>>53095329
Well better than some fucking ranger at least. Or maybe sorcs even.
>>
Warlock and sorcerer are multiclass classes.
>>
>>53093385
Wouldn't starchain Warlock be a better oracle with its at will Augury?
>>
>>53095367
Ranger is a great character concept

Warlocks are for edgy teenagers

Sorcerers are for people who feel the need to special or self important
>>
>>53093454
Fey ancestry.

Alternately, think of them as good aligned goblins.
>>
>>53095381
Why not just make Eldritch Blast available to sorcerers then? And make them less shit so they don't need 2 levels in sorcery point charging port
>>
>>53095413
And wizards are for the cool kids who know the know amirite
>>
>>53095011
very little narrative or setting descriptions
'god' characters everywhere, including a little girl I tried to kill because I could tell she was plot centric due to her having a description
extreme railroading, where my wizard was slapped for 9 bludgeoning damage by a god for trying to run away
19 passive perception and failing perception rolls to see an ancient dragon flying above us, mundane things like that
4 players, 2 are observers
>>
>revised ranger beast attacks aren't magic
why though
>>
>>53095464
>I tried to kill because I could tell she was plot centric

Jerk.

Still, leave that game.
>>
>>53095485
Why should they be?
>>
>>53095444
Wizards, clerics and Druids are the only valid spellcasters.
>>
>>53095511
>druid
>spellcasters
>>
>>53095511
All banned forever.
>>
File: f15.gif (2MB, 425x481px) Image search: [Google]
f15.gif
2MB, 425x481px
One of my players wants to play a Goblin.

How long should I wait before I have him possessed by a Nilbog?
>>
>>53095511
What I don't like about druids in general as a concept is that everybody seems to have the idea that a druid is practically defined by the ability to shapeshift.

I mean, why? Why can't you just have a nature-y caster rather than someone who wants to BE the animal?
>>
>>53095559
But anon, he is the nilbog.
>>
>>53095559
3 whole minutes
>>
>>53095501
Same reason monks get magic attacks, because the majority of their damage comes from something that doesn't get magic weapons
>>
>>53095536
>cleric
>banned
Forwhatreason.jpeg
>>
>>53095403
Good point.
>>
>>53095487
>Village is raided by orcs/goblins/kobolds who are afraid and dont want to fight, yet burn houses and kill villagers, lead by a vicious orc
>taunt and lure the Orc leader behind a building
>charm person him and try to interrogate him
>"he doesnt speak common"
>"its fine, I speak orcish, common, dwarvish"
>"he doesnt speak that version of orcish, he doesnt understand you"
>"I cast detect thoughts on him"
>"he just feels overwhelming fear, you can't discern anything"
>>
>>53095529
Wizards manage arcane magic
Clerics manage divine magic
Druids manage nature magic
>>
>>53095573
But they can actually reasonably justify flavour-wise monk getting it, especially considering how low damage monk is in the first place.

I recall somewhere something saying that you don't just give out magical attacks 'just because everybody else gets them'. I mean, the whole notion that everybody should have anti-magic-resistance at a certain level is stupid, anyway, and really your DM should have a balance of resistances and vulnerabilities and all that instead of saying 'Okay, all these monsters are resistant for now' 'Okay, now all these monsters have no resistances because you bypassed them all forevermore'
>>
I love it when shit that I have been planning for months in advance come up in the game.
I had been sitting on a big reveal for four months and last night it was revealed to the players. "Our actions have consequences?" asked the ranger.
This is also good for making the players think I'm actually planning for most of this stuff and not just pulling it out of my ass as we go. Little do they know.
>>
>>53095617
What happened?
>>
File: gmw.jpg (60KB, 700x437px) Image search: [Google]
gmw.jpg
60KB, 700x437px
>>53094184
>>how would you fix Eldritch Knights?
Novaing with actual spells. Cast a spell on your weapon that can target one creature other than yourself. That spell is cast targeting the next creature your weapon hits. You can only have one spell prepared this way.

As you level you gain the ability to pre-enchant more spells, enchant as a bonus action, spending a limited resource after you hit to enchant your weapon as a reaction. Also, giving it it's own spell list to choose from, and a separate progression where you choose less directly combat related blade cantrips that let you do things like cast light on your sword, reveal invisible objects by shedding glimmering dust from your sword, having your blade hum when pointing it in the direction of a creature you describe, or other things.
>>
>>53095139
as much as i love sorcerer and warlock...
>The whole idea is Sorcerers cast fewer spells then Wizards, but they cast them better (metamagic).
Dragon Sorc: +cha to specific element, can spend sorcery points to: cast a cantrip (2), hit two guys(1-9), reroll damage (1), or give disadvantage on a save (3)
Evocation Wiz: exclude targets from AoE, guarantee half damage on save cantrips, +int to damage, max damage on any spell 5th level or lower
to be fair, the sorc does get it's stuff earlier but wizard ends up with more spells known and more spells per day than sorc due to arcane recovery (converting sorcery points gives means you have less points to use metamagic, wizards dont have to choose between recovering spells and using class features)

>And Warlocks cast fewer, but are able to cast more often (recharged on a short rests).
How many games have you played were to regularly have more than one short rest a day? I think the most our group ever did was two short rests. Levels <=10 means 6 spells per day, of up to level 5 spells for warlocks, wizards hit 6 spells per day at level 4 without rests. Now, at level 10 a warlock after just one short rest will be able to cast more 5th level spells than the wizard (4 vs 3 with arcane recovery) BUT the wizard still has 3 level 4's, 3 level 3's, 3 level 2's, and 4 level 1's.
>>
How borked are theurgy wizards?
>>
File: 1490029955348.gif (994KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1490029955348.gif
994KB, 300x169px
>>53095511
>Not including bard
>>
>>53095705
I'd say they're on par with the other more powerful wizard archetypes.

Less stupid than cleric1/wizardX.
>>
>>53095721
Bards aren't a real class
>>
>>53095734
Ive just started reading over the rules, going to gm for my players.
What is the brokeness of cleric 1/wizard x?
>>
>>53095734
Is it stupid to go Arcana Cleric 1/Arcana Theurge Wizard x?
>>
Where do you keep your DM notes? What do you use to write them?
>>
File: 1489868150921.gif (302KB, 294x266px) Image search: [Google]
1489868150921.gif
302KB, 294x266px
>>53095762
That's your opinion and I understand.

Even if it's wrong, tell us where the bard touched your waifu.
>>
>>53095762
a bard fucked your waifu, didn't they?
>>
>>53095770
Free armor
>>
>>53095793
In a notebook, with pencil
>>
>>53095799
>>53095800
What's a waifu?
>>
>>53095485
They are basically top tier DPR machines if you pick something simple like a Wolf for Pack Tactics, and are fighting humanoids all the time for max damage. Having your wolf die in your stead while you leg it is a good defensive ability. Them not getting magic attacks for their beast helps keep the king of the fight shifting depending on 1. Are they your favored enemy? and 2. Are they nonmagical weapon resistant/immune? Depending on the answer you should either be ahead or behind the Barbarian/Fighter. Not to mention that it's much less feat reliant than almost any other martial.
>>
>>53095807
that's pretty much every decent MC
>>
>>53095816
It's ok even if you play dumb we know what happened, still doesn't change the fact you are wrong and should feel bad.
>>
>>53095840
Nobody in my group has ever played a bard
>>
>>53094184
It are you a mage or are you a knight? Instead of you are the mage knight! Give their bond weapon a buff with 1d4 magic damage of their choice. To switch the magic type, bond with it again. Switch the spell then bonus action to action then bonus spell or just remove the limit of one attack.
>>
>>53095861
Doesn't mean the DM hasn't cucked you with one in the past.
>>
>>53095793
Three old school paper pads, two smaller ones for player notes, a notebook, a tablet and a leather case big enough for all of them and for other misc papers with random notes.
>>
>>53095839
You also get access to cleric cantrips which are amazing
>>
>>53095609
>I mean, the whole notion that everybody should have anti-magic-resistance at a certain level is stupid
It's less to do with 'certain level' and more to do with at some point in the game.
The party will always find magic weapons, unless the setting is very low magic. A beastmaster will never get past the immunities and resistances, to the point where they are more useless than a 4 elements monk at higher levels of play
>>
>>53094905
Fuuuck, those phrases are great, though. I don't even know if I could do justice to that.
>>53094876
I just think they're a cool concept.
>>
>>53095908
They're alright. Good utility but not mindblowing.
>>
>>53095762
>best class in the game not a real class

>t. insecure ranger
>>
Serious question though. Why would anyone ever ban cleric?? I don't get that at all.
>>
>>53095894
But I am the DM
>>
>>53095973
There's no reason to ban any of the core classes.
That's just silly.

Only reason that could be acceptable is if it doesn't fit a setting and everyone agrees on it. DMs that just ban classes because they don't like them are usually shit DMs.
>>
>>53095976
I feel sad for you and your group then because your autism is off the charts.
>>
>>53096010
Thanks for the (You)'s
>>
>the Man-Of-Straight-Lines
>the Pale Man
Why even name the baddies when you players do it for you?
Too bad the Pale Man is dead and Line-Man is banished to a demiplane.
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>53096053
>>
>>53095807
does the armor not fuck with wizard spells?
now that i think about it, i havent seen any arcane spell failure stuff in the book, just assumed it was there like in 3.pf
>>
>>53096343
no arcane failure anymore. Bolt platemail to your cock and sally forth my friend!
>>
>>53096360
War domain cleric 1/Wizard x with War Caster?
other wizards fight with staffs, I prefer a glaive.
This is an interesting idea...
>>
Wait. Wizards can cast in full plate in this edition? Horry sheet.
>>
>>53096360
>>53096423
Caveat: Must be trained in the armor. If you're wearing armor you don't have training in, you straight-up cannot cast spells.

Hence, Dwarfs making hilarious wizards in this game with the free medium armor training
>>
>>53096455
of course getting armor proficiency is so stupidly easy there's no reason why you shouldn't have it if you want it.
>>
File: 1342639466306.jpg (68KB, 340x296px) Image search: [Google]
1342639466306.jpg
68KB, 340x296px
First Time GM.

Is it possible to be uh, too creative? Like I have a bunch of ideas I think would be cool, but I feel like they might be watered down if they keep coming one after another with no "generic" stuff in between.
>>
>>53096501
Depends on what they are.
>>
>>53096501
Share some of the ideas and we'll tell you
>>
>>53096501
Unless you are planning time travel shennanigans followed by a dragonstar convertion after a fist fight with a neutronium golem, I don't think so.

But it really depends on the idea.
>>
>>53096501
Pad them out with randomly generated dungeons
Use donjon to randomly generate three or four mid-sized floors, fill the rooms with randomly generated encounters of the relevant size and themed on the dungeon location (the generator covers a variety of environments)
Then just slot them in between the other adventures
>>
File: 1455884457014.jpg (31KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
1455884457014.jpg
31KB, 600x462px
>>53096528
>>53096532
>>53096546

Alright, my ideas aren't THAT outlandish, so it should be fine.

Thanks guys.

>>53096558

I might try this too if I feel like it's being rushed.
>>
Are bladesingers good?
>>
>>53096501
There is no such thing as too creative, only good ideas and bad ideas.
>Nothing new under the sun.
>>
Our shadow monk has been training and meditating, trying to discover a new technique because he feels he's been falling behind the others. Overshadowed you could say.
I was thinking of giving him a new ability, something thematically appropriate and cool.
Read though other classes abilities for inspiration and the fiend patron ability Hurl though Hell gave me an idea.

"When you are in dim light or darkness, as an action you can grab an enemy adjacent to you and shadow step up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is in dim light or darkness.
The target must make a Wisdom saving throw, resisting the teleport on a successful save.
This teleport takes you deeper into the shadows than usual and though Shadowfell. The enemy is violently pulled with you and is Paralyzed by the dark energies of Shadowfell for one minute.
At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the effect ends on the target."

And it also gives the ability to travel to Shadowfell once he gets Empty Body.Costs maybe around 2 Ki points.
What do you think, too strong or too weak? Should it also deal necrotic or psychic damage? Is 2 Ki points too low for the cost?
>>
>>53096583
What a waste of a post.
>>
>>53096583
I'm so disappointed in you.
>>
>>53096501
Just make sure your cool ideas actually last a while so that your players feel like they have time to digest each scenario/situation, then it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
File: Master Ruseman.jpg (14KB, 284x279px) Image search: [Google]
Master Ruseman.jpg
14KB, 284x279px
>>53096610
>>53096633

I feel like I've hyped up what I said compared to time travelling and golem wrestling and now I'm embarrassed, sorry.
>>
>>53096607
>Teleport 30 ft + Paralyzed one minute
>2 ki
gee...
>>
File: be well, vatniks.png (5KB, 411x354px) Image search: [Google]
be well, vatniks.png
5KB, 411x354px
>>53096501
If you can't explain something quickly the first time it's encountered to your party, either don't use it or save it for later. Detailed stuff is better reserved for when the party really gets into something.

It'd be easier to help you if you told us your ideas. If you're planning on something as creative as your setting having all livable land be atop giant plateaus with fiery volcanic ravines inbetween, with the only transportation between plateaus being griffons ranging from horse sized to blue whale sized then you need to slow down to give your players time to comprehend stuff. You'd be right things will seem watered down if you just throw zany stuff at your players all the time, but don't fret about generic stuff. Just have your players get acquainted with what's already introduced. You'll probably put in generic things to your game anyways just to save time.

It's better to get your players to enjoy a few of your favorite creations fondly than literally a thousand things they never remember. When sharing your ideas keep them succinct, so the players can get to interacting with them. You'll be able to share more later anyways, and they'll think your clever for keeping stuff "hidden" till it needs to show up.
>>
>>53096691
Hey, a Mystic can paralyze people and teleport them around for almost free. No need to shit on monks, not like they are that strong anyway.
>>
>>53096691
>>53096735
On a second thought, paralyze has a pretty significant synergy bonuses for the rest of the party. How does 4 Ki points sound?
>>
>>53096735
can they do it at the same time? because a teleport + paralysis is basically an instant death in the right circumstances.
>>
>>53096735
>>53096754
No, you'd need two turns and fucked up saves, unless you want to use concentration.
>>
>>53096783
Name six billion enemies that have significant enough Int saves.
>>
>>53096801
Why?
It's a Wis save.
>>
>>53096592
Meh. They used to be but not much anymore. They're more interesting than some vanilla core classes at least.
>>
>>53096815
dont mind him, he's just retarded.
>>
Hex Blade is good shut up you nerds don't bully my class!
>>
>>53092933
this.
I find it to be the best edition so far in terms of rules. But yeah, adventurer's league sucks as a concept, and most of the scenarios are quite bad/random. Although there are some true gems.
>>
>>53096735
Make it Restrained and you're fine. Giving out advantage for a couple of turns is fine, giving out advantage + guaranteed crits for a couple of rounds is not.
>>
>>53095922
Well, they are a high standard to meet, yeah.

The general themes though are don't waste words. If you can say it with a sentence instead of a paragraph, do so. If you can say it with a word, then that's even better.

Live simply. After all, resources spent on decoration are resources that could be used on a tool or weapon to better defend against enemies. Something functional is always better than something overdesigned. (Important note for the Oath of the Ancients. This doesn't mean you scorn beauty. You simply prefer the natural world's beauty. Shells for instance.)

Lead by example. You are a paladin after all, and anything you want others to do should be something you do yourself.
>>
So the teleport skill could be abused pretty heavily by just running into an enemy group and kidnapping a caster or otherwise the most dangerous looking foe and bringing it into the middle of you own melee characters. And paralyze them so they would be ripped to shreds.
At least 5 Ki point cost then? Or just make it usable once per long rest?
Your feedback is appreciated.

>>53096906
Or maybe just change it to this.

It's a good thing I asked here first and didn't just give the skill to the monk and watch as the game falls apart because of him.
>>
>>53094234
>a common pleb who rolled into a wizard school

Sure, we see the common fucks who manage to bumble their way through wizard training, but we don't see the ones who fail out because they're just not good enough.

What if all those successful wizards we see are truly the best of the best in terms of people who can learn magic, which is obviously a path not everyone can take.
>>
>>53093070
No artifice? Well the first draft is rather lackluster and Gunsmith isn't thematic to your plans, but Greek Fire fits alchemist rather well.

Also, Daedelus & Icarus. Hephaestus himself as well! Prime Artifice right there...though I suppose the item creation rules from Planeshift Kaladesh mixed with UA Downtime might be helpful for that archetypical conceit.
>>
>>53096501
What's generic stuff?
>>
>>53093920
What about Tritons as the people of Atlantis and or the servants of Poseidan
>>
>white plume mountain
>have my players fight all 4 ifreeti
>get their asses kicked, one pc dies
>give them an efreeti bottle
>rolled 95, so they get an efreeti that will cast wish 3 times

They are level 9, I suppose I should make the efreeti evil and try to twist their wishes slightly so it doesn't break the campaign
>>
Will an anti magic field stop a mystic from gaining the benefit of his discipline basic focus ability? Or is it only on anything requiring psi points
>>
>>53097160
Nope they're immune to anti magic field because it isn't magic.
>>
>>53097140
Follow the guidelines of the wish spell
>>
>>53097160
Antimagic fields affect spells. If they are not replicating a spell, they're untouched
>>
>>53097168
Psyonics are a form of magic just not a spell, anti magic will stop them
>>
>>53097185
Yeah, I am. Efreeti variants that are evil twist wishes.
>>
>>53097160
"The following sections go into more detail on
using a discipline.
Psionic disciplines are magical and function similarly to spells."

Reading is hard.
>>
>>53097202
If they wish their party member back to life you could make them a revenent or something, or make it have the effect of the reincarnate spell
>>
>>53096928
Thankfully I'm terrible at being long-winded anyways. Maybe I can pull this off after all, it could be fun.
>>53097028
The issue is that the DM doesn't particularly like or trust the classes. I don't blame him. Shame though, I kinda wanted to make a Soul-Knife.
>>
>>53097288
>or trust the classes
which is hilarious because artificer is underpowered.
>>
How do you guys handle PCs playing games within the game?

Such as poker, dicing, chess, cards, etc.
>>
Playing today, but not sure what to roll. I was thinking either Eldritch Knight, Tempest Cleric, or some kind of Monk/Rogue. Any advice on narrowing down choices for a person who is pretty easy going and willing to play whatever?
>>
>>53097387
Have them roll some skill checks, have them add profiency if they are proficient with the medium of play
>>
>>53097407
>Any advice on narrowing down choices
If "play what you want" isn't good enough then I suggest you cover what your group lacks.
>>
>>53092438
For ultimate white mage, Arcane Theruge Wizard using Life Domain.

All the debuff and buff spells possible with the clothy-vulnerability of a wizard, plus arcane-recovery for extra spells.

Downside is no healing word until like 12th level.
>>
>>53097465

I guess I'm just indecisive? It looks like we'll have a Barbarian, Moon druid, and Arcane Trickster. Cleric seems like a good fit here to round it out.
>>
>>53097494
Yeah, Cleric looks like your best option
>>
>>53097028
There's always the wizard archetype version from the Eberron UA. That could be allowed.
>>
>>53097494
Yeah a bit of support for the Barb and Druid up front will go a long way, you can hang out back with the AT and be tank for him if anything gets close
>>
File: 1485083317896.jpg (38KB, 366x599px) Image search: [Google]
1485083317896.jpg
38KB, 366x599px
>tfw party consists of a fighter, a rogue, a monk, a sorcerer and me, a cleric
>tfw the sorcerer is a blaster, who adamantly refuses to take any spell that doesn't do damage
>mfw I'm expected to buff, heal AND spam control spells
Life is pain, famalams
>>
>>53097582
>mfw I'm expected to buff, heal AND spam control spells
if you're spamming control spells, there wont be any need for healing.
>>
>>53097580

I'll probably wind up close to melee anyways. The Cleric Build I had in mind was going Tempest Cleric with Spell Sniper feat for Booming Blade, so I can whip out booming blades from 10 feet away. Damage seems kind of low at 3rd level (which is where we're starting) but I don't think my fighter will do much more either. And Tempest Cleric can clear out a group of enemies with a CD shatter too.
>>
>>53097582
Just say fuck you, why the sorc can take the spells he wants but you can't?
>>
>>53097160
Is your setting using magic-psionics transparency?
If it is, yes >>53097207
If it's not, generally no >>53097189
>>
>>53097582
MC into Fighter and take the rest of your levels in that.
>>
>>53097615
>Is your setting using magic-psionics transparency?
you mean, if your setting is using the rules as they are laid out in the mystic UA?
>>
>>53097604
how are you getting both spell sniper and booming blade at level 3 on a tempest cleric?
>>
>>53093906
Wizardry approach is antithetical to intuitive approach.
Wizard approach pulls magic from without. Sorceror from within. Training in the former doesn't help with the latter, nor talent in the latter with the former.

If you want application of wizard study on natural magical gift, you want the pathfinder Arcanist.
>>
Yo - I'm playing a wizard in 5e. We're level 5 and I am consistently getting my shit rocked. Am I really bad or do wizards just suck at low levels? I really don't understand what my redeeming qualities are.

I consistently get knocked on my ass the moment combat begins, none of my spells do that much damage, and burning spell slots makes me completely useless once they are done.

Am I doing it wrong, or are wizards meant to only be useful outside of combat?
>>
File: 1449711512531.jpg (36KB, 332x336px) Image search: [Google]
1449711512531.jpg
36KB, 332x336px
>>53097582

>i refuse to heal the sorcerer
>>
>>53097194
Funny because hardly anyone says that, the general consensus has become if it isn't making a spell it doesn't do anything to them.
>>
>>53097663
You are doing it wrong. Stop getting hit, and cast control spells, let the martials deal damage.
>>
>>53097663
Leave the damage to the others, CC like a motherfucker.
>>
>>53097648

Variant Human. Spell Sniper feat lets you pick up a cantrip that requires an attack roll right?
>>
>>53097677
Our Cleric hasn't cast a single healing spell past level 1 and we're all 9 now.
>>
>>53097710
booming blade does not require an attack roll, not technically

I mean, it could easily be argued that it DOES give you an attack roll, but it isn't actually a "spell attack roll", it's a weapon attack you make as part of the cantrip
>>
>>53097729
level 13 cleric, don't even prep healing spells.
>>
>>53097729
Our ranger and rogue have cast more healing spells than our cleric.
Spell storing dagger, if you have to know how a rogue heals.
>>
>>53097631
Where does it say this, can't find it. Not being a dick, I'm just retarded.
>>
>>53097582
It's not like you will be playing any differently
>Turn one: Concentration spell
>Every other turn: control or damage spell or hit them with a hammer
>Someone down or out of combat: Healing Word, channel divinity or prayer of healing
>>
>>53097771
page 9, "Using a Discipline," second paragraph
>>
>>53097693
>Funny because hardly anyone says
Except the class page
>>
>>53097663
Why are you getting close enough to enemies for them to stab you?
If they're shooting you, why aren't you hiding behind cover / going prone?
Why aren't your martials standing in the way of everything for you?
Why aren't you spamming Magic Missile to delete one enemy every round if damage is what you're looking for? At second level spells, Flaming Sphere, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Hold Person on bosses, and Gust of Wind. For third, Slow. Just fucking Slow.
>>
File: 1443933527211[1].jpg (471KB, 1096x731px) Image search: [Google]
1443933527211[1].jpg
471KB, 1096x731px
>>53097729
>>53097750
>>53097762
>someone expects me to heal when I'm playing a non-life cleric
>>
>>53097663
>he doesn't have shield
>he doesn't have expeditious retreat
>he doesn't cast hypnotic pattern
>he doesn't throw fireballs
>he doesn't use cantrips
You're bad bro
>>
File: reading a hard.jpg (77KB, 532x322px) Image search: [Google]
reading a hard.jpg
77KB, 532x322px
for those of you who still don't understand how mystics interact with anti-magic fields
>>
>>53097814
>tfw I convinced the DM to let me modify Tempest Cleric to heal instead
>when you get hit, heal an ally/yourself with Wrath of the Storm Wis/longrest
>Channel Divinity to max out your heals
>when you heal a target, you can move them 10 feet
>extra 1d8 healing at level 8 as long as you can touch the target
Changing archetypes around is the best
>>
File: 1492352438051.jpg (48KB, 540x535px) Image search: [Google]
1492352438051.jpg
48KB, 540x535px
New player here. How long should my character backstory be? What should I write in there and what should I not? Please help me out.
>>
Which would be better for beast conclave? Sword and board, archery or TWF?
>>
File: firenoswordguy.png (2MB, 705x878px) Image search: [Google]
firenoswordguy.png
2MB, 705x878px
>>53097882
>tfw you convinced the DM to make Tempest work with Fire damage instead and took Light's domain spell list
>>
>>53097901
Is sharpshooter allowed? If yes, Archery. If it isn't, archery
>>
>>53097901
Sword and board.
Beast conclave is for melee.
>>
>>53097866
But it's not a spell
>>
>>53097900
Defining moments that lead to you becoming what and where you are and if your parents are dead or not. A paragraph or two is enough, more is fine as long as its interesting
>>
>>53097953
Antimagic cancels all magic, not just spells.
Dispel and counterspell on the other hand only target spells so they are pretty much useless against mystics.
>>
>>53097793
I'm sorry you were saying?
>>53097866
>>
>>53097946
Would crossbow expert not be better?
>>
File: antimagic field.jpg (30KB, 386x116px) Image search: [Google]
antimagic field.jpg
30KB, 386x116px
>>53097953
no one gives a shit.
>>
>>53097698
>>53097701
Okay, so I've only been taking mostly damage spells and don't have any control spells. Am I just fucked? Here's my arsenal:

Cantrips:
-Poison spray
-Mage hand
-Minor Illusion
-Minor conjuration (taking conjuration school)

Lvl1:
-Tasha's hideous laughter
-Feather fall
-Sleep
-Detect magic
-magic missle
-shield
-chromatic orb
-tenser's disk

Lvl2:
-Invisibility
-Shatter
-Detect Thoughts

Lvl3:
-Fireball
-Leomund's Tiny Hut
>>
What's the best way to deal with a player who doesn't really get engaged? He seems to enjoy the game (mainly combat), but even then he doesn't try and make it fluid, it's always just "I attack"
>>
>>53098059
let him have his fun.
>>
>>53093468
>Everyone says yes
>1 day before D&D day
>"sorry guys I'm going to have to work late"
>NEET issues an exasperated sigh
>>
>>53098059
Ask him
>Hey what are somethings you might like to see happen in the game?
>>
>>53098058
sleep, magic missile, and fireball should be your bread and butter.

Fireball groups, sleep survivors, magic missile hard to hit or near dead enemies.
>>
>>53097900

If you have a cool back story or history the DM could include that into the story. Write about where he grew up and how he was raised. You can talk about what led him to explore. Talk about what his beliefs are, is he out for himself or generally a good guy. If you look at the traits in the PH maybe you can build around that.

Ex: You are trying to find a relative who went missing after experimenting with unstable magic. That relative inspired you into becoming a wizard but with their absence you feel lost and need to find out what happened. DM leaves traces or writings of his work throughout the campaign.
>>
>>53097662
>If you want application of wizard study on natural magical gift
Pretty much. Too bad I can't find what could be a good alternative of that for 5e.
>>
>>53098059
What do you mean "fluid"?
>>
>>53098059

Ask him if hes having fun, and what parts of the game he likes. If he just wants to murder things in dungeons there are times where you can make him stand out. Not everyone wants to roleplay and thats ok I guess.
>>
>>53097662
Everyone pulls power from without because everyone is bending the weave. Sorcerers just have intuitive knowledge of where to pull and poke to get what they want.
>>
>>53098058
That sounds fine, actually. You just have to stay the fuck away from the front and use those spells the way they were meant to, aka as someone from the back shooting over the fighters.

Although you are kind of built for pure combat and pre-combat. Other than Tasha's, Feather Fall, Leomund and Tenser, you could've built this character as a Sorcerer and be fine, with a little health boost to go with it if you choose an origin that's built for more frontlining.

Next level, take second level spells. Specifically Cloud of Daggers and Mirror Image. One will let you take some hits without taking damage, and the other will be good for crowd control.
>>
>>53098058
That's absolutely fine, but you should look into getting some more utility or control spells at the higher levels.

Scorching Ray is good single-target damage at L2, Darkness can shut down enemy casters and ranged creatures that rely on line-of-sight to do their shit, and Enlarge/Reduce is super useful if your DM is amenable enough (there's no need to Knock if you can Reduce a door right off its hinges, for instance), and Hold Person will have the party MUTILATING anything you can land it on.

For L3, Slow is some of your best control for creatures who aren't vulnerable to Hold Person and also shuts down groups of multiattackers while making them easier to hit and kill, Hypnotic Pattern is a mass-incapacitator, Major Image is always useful if you're inventive, Sleet Storm can all but guarantee an easy retreat, and Counterspell will shut down other casters.

What you have now is fine, though.
Spell selection isn't as important as how you use them and how you play in general. All the best spells in the game won't stop you from getting planted if you stand in melee.
>>
>>53098097
>>53098183
okay, thank you!! this is my first character and magic users are super intimidating
>>
>>53098069
Yeah, if that's what he enjoys then it's all okay. Just the other players are a bit more engaged and drive the game.

>>53098082
That's as good an idea as any

>>53098115
He doesn't interact with the environment in combat. Say he was fighting on stairs or on a narrow pass on a cliff, it's all the same to him. Just like he's standing in a flat room with his opponent opposite him.

>>53098137
I will do that
>>
>>53098204
you didn't take Witch Bolt, so you are doing fine.
>>
>>53098097
>>53098204
Sleep scales very poorly, especially with the large amounts of HP most monsters have in 5E. If he can cast 3rd-level spells it's already approaching obsolescence. Magic Missile is alright, but most of the time you're better off saving the slot and casting Fire Bolt or Ray of Frost instead.
>>
>>53098236
true, but after a fireball, sleep should bounce back into usefulness. Remember, sleep is based on CURRENT HP.
>>
>>53098236
Sleep won't take out anyone right off the bat, but it's still a great spell for a Wizard to have at any level. If they want to take someone down without killing them, a Wizard doesn't have many options, being a ranged attacker. So Sleep gets stronger the closer you get to the end of a battle.
>>
>>53094184
Shield/Absorb Elements meme is fucking good m8
>>
Asked a few threads back, but didn't receive any replies.

First time running a standard adventure, I almost always just do homebrew but I wanted to run some adventures "by the book" to see if I can learn anything about the game the way it "should be played" and whether or not I want to adapt anything to my personal style.

So far enjoying running sunless citadel but haven't done much yet. Any general tips for running out of the box adventures? Any specific tips for running sunless citadel?

Also, just after reading the intro to yawning portal, is there any point I should really have the party chilling at the yawning portal? Is there actually something I should do if I put them there and they want to get lowered in the well? Most of the references for the undermountain seem nonspecific or dated to past editions. Any of the adventures in the book actually take place there? I admit I haven't read the entire thing.
>>
>>53098214
>He doesn't interact with the environment in combat. Say he was fighting on stairs or on a narrow pass on a cliff, it's all the same to him. Just like he's standing in a flat room with his opponent opposite him.
Perhaps because it is all the same mechanically. Maybe you should introduce mechanical effects for the terrain he fights on. Say he has -2 against enemies on above him on stairs, or he has to roll acrobatics every so often when he takes a hit while standing on the edge of a cliff.

5e combat is generally a boring slew of repetitive attack actions, but that's what homebrewing is for. But then again, maybe he's just a boring guy and the game is perfect as is for him.
>>
>>53095560
Because it's their defining ability.
There's so many spellcasting classes and spellcasting archetypes for classes that can't normally cast spells that it's become the opposite of magical. It's boring.
Wildshape is unique and interesting, it's something only druids use.
>>
>>53098308
The best thing go do with a written adventure is not to try and run it to the letter. Make sure you know the key events and characters, but be willing to improvise based on how the players approach things.

You don't want to force yourself to memorise every detail and you don't want to be having to reference the book every single time your player asks something or wants to do something.
>>
nufag here, best site to upload a pdf to share?
>>
>>53098380
It's just weird, a class called "Druid" feels like it's defining ability should be fae magic, not shapeshifting into animals
>>
>>53098426
shapeshifting isn't fae?
>>
If I gave our edgelord paladin a Lay on Hands variant that deals damage instead of healing how should it work mechanically?
Attack roll and a wisdom save for 1/2? No touch attacks on 5e after all.
>>
>>53098434
no it's bae
>>
>>53097582
yes?
you're a cleric, that's what you should be doing to begin with
>>
So my DM planed a lvl 20 game for shits and giggles.
UA Multiclassing allowed.

So i decided to make this:

Wood Elf

Kensei Monk revised 14/6 Hunter Conclave Ranger revised

Picked Archery Fighting Style, Sharpshooter and Elven Accuracy.

>Sharpen the blade + Favoured enemy + Bonus action damage boost for ranged + Archery + Sharpshooter + Elven precision + Precise strike + Colossus slayer.

That's

(1d8+5+4+10+3+1d4+1d8+1d8)*2
Or 68 damage per turn by spending initial 3 ki and 1 ki each turn for extra MA damage die.
>>
File: 1494023967173.jpg (278KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494023967173.jpg
278KB, 1920x1080px
>>53098380
>Wildshape is unique and interesting, it's something only druids use.
>Wizard polymorphs the party into allosauruses
>>
>>53097866
not in my game
>>
>>53098444
nigga you gae
>>
>>53098443
>No touch attacks on 5e after all.
What?

>cleric
>inflict wounds
>melee spell attack, range touch
>>
>>53098434
Shapeshifting is it's own thing

Let me put it this way, say druid was split into two classes, a nature-based divine caster and a class fully focused on shapeshifting
Which would keep the class name?
>>
Kind of a general question, but does anyone have a go-to source for encounter maps?
>>
>>53098459
then you are wrong.
>>
>>53098460
das wut they sae
>>
>>53098465
I meant in the way some older editions had them.
If you only need to touch the enemy his armor is not going to matter, only if you can hit him at all.
>>
>>53098450
>not using this opportunity to go nuclear druid
>>
>>53098502
Why would i when i can play a weaboo movie Legolas?
>>
>>53098477
I would call the shapeshifter Druid and call the spellcaster Shaman.
>>
>>53098426
It's a d&d sacred cow that never went away.
>>53098477
The shapeshifting one because d&d has conditioned people to associate the two.
>>
>>53098498
So if you don't want the armor to matter then there's no need for an attack roll at all.
Instead make it a constitution save by the person they are effecting, with a range of touch.
>>
>>53098512
Cus elves are gay
>>
>>53098450
sharpshooter fighter does far, far more damage the three turns he can use Steady Aim.

Champion probably outdoes it in the long run thanks to 4 attacks with triple crit range, and is also going to be perfectly capable in melee.
>>
>>53098515
Fucking sacred cows, making all D&D more nonsensical

>>53098514
I for one would call the caster druid and the shapeshifter "skinwalker" or "skinchanger" or maybe even just "shifter"

Because there's no way anyone, without the bullshit D&D-ism, would call Bjorn, from the Hobbit, a "druid"
>>
>>53098558
Without the d&d-ism I don't think anyone would even know what a druid is
>>
>>53098584
Bullshit, they're a part of British history, and British history has always recieved an inordinate amount of attention
>>
>>53098530
How did this meme become so goddamn prolific? How did it even start? Are people going to dig up artifacts from this time and think this is some religious shit? Is this how gods are born?
>>
>>53098423
Well, depending on the size, you could just drop it here.
>>
>>53098603
And the celtic part is downplayed thanks to roman/christian propaganda.
>>
>>53098558
I'd say divide up the druid further.
Take the whole "circle of the moon" thing and make them the only shapeshifting druids, while the others get different powers to match.

So shapeshifting druids are still core, and a basic part of what they are so that people can still go with them as default (like devotion paladins) but you can also have druids who don't turn into bears at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>53098630
Worry not child, Pepe will forgive you.
>>
>>53098680
I'd be down with that

>>53098650
Also because they didn't leave much in the way of written records
>>
>>53095559
Dumb frogposter.
>>
>>53098630
>he thinks that when our end comes, there will even be artifacts left
>or future people to find them
>>
File: Ass.png (31KB, 659x255px) Image search: [Google]
Ass.png
31KB, 659x255px
>>53098633
https://volafile.org/r/bqerdvcc
If anyone wants dat kickstarted Touch of Class
Is official "derivative" material considered homebrew or no? I mean they sold it for money so...
>>
>>53098744
Someone finally posted it. Thanks anon!
>>
>>53098777
adding the subclasses too
fuken Diabolist edge seems weak so I wanted some opinions
>>
>>53098744
Thank you, anon.

In return, have a pdf of spells a DM can choose to give a party member as a scroll or wand. Most are best for one time use artifacts.
>>
File: 3.5e.gif (144KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
3.5e.gif
144KB, 126x126px
Is the Kensei monk any good? I'm thinking of playing as a wandering Ronin and was wondering if it's viable as an archetype.
>>
>>53098974
Yeah, it's decent.
>>
File: trash.png (173KB, 392x341px) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
173KB, 392x341px
>>53098744
Why is homebrew art so trash. Pic from Speaking with Fists subclass pdf
>>
>>53098072
Idk if you're speaking from experience but generally people know when they're going to have to work late.

Realistically it goes like this:
>Everyone says yes
>1 hour before we play
>"sorry guys my girlfriend wants to do stuff"
>NEET issues an exasperated sigh
>>
>>53099054
If they actually charged for this thrash that means they probably had to resort to copyright free stuff. Because fuck just commissioning some art, that shit costs money.
>>
>>53099077
>Idk if you're speaking from experience but generally people know when they're going to have to work late.
i guess you never had the joy of your boss coming up to you 30min before your shift ends and saying "yeah we're going to need you to stay for another two hours."
>>
>>53098792
Thanks a lot man. Hopefully someone will merge it all together after you put it all up.
>>
What does a hobgoblin city actually look like?

I kind of picture a roman war camp, but can't really find any real visual reference for it.
>>
>>53099143
They don't really build cities because all goblinoids are lazy shits. They just adapt areas from who they've conquered, so their cities will look like other people's except with heavier fortifications/extended barracks etc.
>>
>>53099104
We play on weekends so if your boss is asking you to stay late then, I'd quit.
>>
>>53099189
I haven't had a job that cared what day of the week it was in 9 years
>>
I'm new to 5e and I have a question, which ability do you use for certain spells? Or the spell caster ability modifier, which spell caster ability do you use? Is it just the one that is predominately used by the class, like I think int for wizard would be your spell caster ability modifier?

And when I cast let's say I want to cast fireball. How do I know what ability to use when I add it to my attack I make?
>>
>>53099104
That's when you tell him no. Sometimes it helps to stand up for yourself. I was always happy to stay back at my job or to cover for people, but when I already had things to do I always told them I couldn't.
>>
>>53098974
>>53098989
Wonder how it would work if you refluff it as something other than a samurai.
Like a rapier fighter perhaps. With a crossbow as a ranged.
>>
>>53099200
I haven't had a job in seven years. I'm the NEET sighing when the others have something more "important" to do than D&D.
>>
>>53099223
Zoro.
>>
>>53099205
>Is it just the one that is predominately used by the class, like I think int for wizard would be your spell caster ability modifier?
That.
>And when I cast let's say I want to cast fireball. How do I know what ability to use when I add it to my attack I make?
What? When you cast fireball, all targets have to make a dex save vs your spell save dc, which is 8+proficiency+spellcasting ability modifier. The damage is what it says in the spell; you don't add anything extra.
>>
>>53099143
Well, that'd be a castrum model.

A rectangular area, surrounded by walls. Two principle roads forming a cross and leading to four gates.

The centre holds the home of the hobgoblin leaders and their guards.
A forum, for public business of the hobgoblins will be nearby.

Much of the other buildings will be barracks, home to the hobgoblin soldiers.
>>
>>53099238
Rapier, as he said.
And you misspelled Zorro.
>>
>>53099223
Samurai is a samurai. Kensei is a shaolin monk with the wrong name
>>
>>53099249
I guess I meant to say, what did I use for the spell casting ability modifier, and that would be int because it is a wizard class. And not damage, but to the attack roll. I would roll the d20 and then add my spell casting ability modifier to the roll and total it up to see if I hit, right?

And if they pass the save, and the spell ended up hitting, would it still hit for less or would it be negated because the save passed?
>>
New thread lads
>>53099294
>>53099294
>>53099294
>>
>>53099252
He was using a rapier, isn't he?
>>53099267
Well it just seems to be as samurais being an obvious inspiration for that class. I mean ninjas are fluffed as monks too in DnD,
>>
>>53099285
There is no roll to hit for fireball. If the targets fail the save, they take the damage. If they pass, they take half the damage. You never roll a d20.
>>
>>53099189
have you ever been to a store on a weekend? yeah guess what, the people working there, work weekends. Weird, right?
>>
>>53099376
Retail workers aren't real people
>>
>>53099481
what about restaurants, help desks, EMTs, doctors, police, and firefighters?
>>
>>53099494
>restaurants
services industry, not real people
>help desks
automated or indians, not real people
>EMTs, doctors, police, and firefighters
Doctors work like twice a week, the others are sacrificed for the greater good though
>>
>>53095590
Shit DM senpai, you should try another one
Thread posts: 452
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.