[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 107

File: Magic Primer (+0).png (2MB, 1400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Primer (+0).png
2MB, 1400x1800px
Exert edition! (Exert is one of the new keywords from Amonkhet.)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

NT: >>52789354
>>
File: Flamewhip Jackal.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Flamewhip Jackal.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Quick one I put together in a minute.
>>
>>52881869
Sorry then man, but I don't think I can help you any further if that's the case. I just don't think I like what you're doing enough to give you the sort of assistance you need.

>>52881968
Gotcha.

>>52882188
Hm. Seems alright to me.
>>
>>52882262
No need to be sorry, I'm sorry myself because I may sound harsh, but I really appreciated your feedback, it made me think about the mechanic and I will think more on how to rework it.

>>52882188
Well, I have nothing to say, cost effective without being unbalanced, and I like the flavor I just find a little bit weird for a red creature to have more Toughness than Power.

Well, After the first Faction I would like the red one, any opinions?
>>
File: Scorched Earth Madman.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Scorched Earth Madman.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>52882809
Quickly fixed
>>
File: Natasha Knight Nocturna3.jpg (56KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Natasha Knight Nocturna3.jpg
56KB, 375x523px
Nocturna, thief. Sometimes a vampire. Obsessed with riches, so she does stuff with artifacts. Tried to use gold before, but it didn't do very well.
>>
>>52882865
You probably shouldn't have posted a drawback card as the example of your new mechanic. I can tell you right now people are not going to like the inclusion of more tribal/type-based stuff.

>>52882871
Check the last bit of her second ability; needs a bit of straightening up. Otherwise, not bad.
>>
>>52882871
May be too strong for its cost, it's like a way more powerful Spectre card without any downside and it can steal artifacts from two different zones.
>>
>>52882865
Anti-tribal? Yeah, I thought about doing that for a while, and I came to the conclusion that it's just not very fun. Now, that was based on my sensibilities and my cards, but I don't think many people are going to be hyped for this.

>>52882967
>>52883026
I'll take out the hand bit then. Just thought it would make a cool add-on.

Oh, and as an aside, does anyone have any advice for designing cards that hinge on your opponents' having certain cards? I've made cards like that before that didn't do well because they really relied on people having a certain type of deck, so I'm never really sure when I make cards like Nocturna.
>>
File: Stormy Phantom Lady6.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Stormy Phantom Lady6.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Upgraded Mistmeadow Witch. Feel like I've been going around in circles with this card. Other idea was repeatable O-Ring. Another anon liked it, but I'm not so sure.
>>
>>52883185
If you want to keep the "steal artifacts" thing without relying on actual artifacts, just give her the ability to peek at the hand then cast a card from there. No letting you spend mana as though it were mana of any type though; that incentivizes artifact theft without saying it. Also I wasn't saying you needed to remove the hand part; I was saying you need to reword the second ability. "You may put an artifact card from that player's hand or graveyard and put..."
>>
>>52883185
May I ask you (and the entire thread) what's wrong with type-based cards? As long as they have refreshing abilities I don't see the problem with it.

>>52882967
I was thinking of every single card of this faction to have some kind of two edged sword effect.
>>
>>52883396
I'm sorry, I'm kinda out of it right now due to a cold. I misread Hate before, now I realize what it does. Well, there are a few things wrong with this.

You can choose a card type that won't get played. For example, Scheme or Conspiracy, which would defeat the entire point of the keyword.

Wait, what is the point of the keyword? Just random downside mechanic?

Even if you choose to restrict the mechanic to card types that will get played, everyone would probably just choose planeswalker anyway, since that's the safe bet. Unless you alternate between making it a downside and an upside, which would be horribly confusing.
>>
File: Pilgrim Keeper.png (264KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Pilgrim Keeper.png
264KB, 375x523px
>>52883396
I think the issue here is that you like things that a lot of people around these threads don't like, so you're going to get a lot of clamor for change. Now, I think anyone making a serious attempt at designing cards has a say here, and deserves to post, because a few people might enjoy it, since it seems unlikely that you're the only person that likes that stuff. But it's not going to be easy to sell it to the rest of us.
>>
File: Profiteer of the Weak.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Profiteer of the Weak.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>52883535
Some will be right punishing.
Some will be a double edged sword (like that one).
Some will be rewarding.

But my goal is to create as more double edged swords as possible, so you will not cheat it out, because it will not be worth it, but will also will have some risk behind it.
Thanks for pointing out the Scheme/Conspiracy thing btw, I just took them for granted as a not valid choice.

>>52883638
I'm not obsessed with type related effects to be fair, it's just this set that happened to have this common theme.

To show it I will post this card here. I feel like it needs much tweeks in his mana cost, but I'm not completely sure because of its cast condition. By the way, thank you for your encouragement, I appreciate it.
>>
>>52883912
>Thanks for pointing out the Scheme/Conspiracy thing btw, I just took them for granted as a not valid choice.
Here's a ruling for World Queller.
>7/1/2013: You may choose any card type. Choosing anything other than artifact, creature, enchantment, land, planeswalker, or tribal will result in no permanents being sacrificed, though, since these are the only types permanents can have.
>>
>>52883912
Needs wording work. Can you only cast it when you have 2 or less life? Can you cast it without paying its mana cost at that time? I assume the former, but clarity is an issue. I kind of like what the card does, I just don't really care for how complex it is. Why not just make it more expensive and able to be cast at any time? Also if casting things when you have low life is going to be a theme, consider Fateful hour. If not, then don't worry about it. For the middle ability, try:

"When ~ enters the battlefield, until end of turn, each other creature gets -4/-4 and when another creature dies, you gain 2 life."

I think that should work.

Also I didn't say you were obsessed with type or tribal, just that using it heavily in a set is likely to be met by protest.
>>
>>52883998
>>52883912
This can be fixed by changing Hate to read "Choose a type from among permanents target opponent controls" or something similar.
>>
>>52884120
er, "whenever another creature dies", sorry about that.
>>
>>52884164
As written, Hate makes you declare something like Instant or Artifact, not something like Spirit or Goyf.
I think you're overlooking this.
>>
File: Pressure Point Expert.jpg (31KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Pressure Point Expert.jpg
31KB, 375x523px
>>52884120
I was undecided as well as the additional casting rule, but I thought that in the end it was clear enough, thank you for pointing it out, already fixed it.
>Why not just make it more expensive and able to be cast at any time?
Because the idea was more about "This is where a desperate person goes when he/she doesn't know what to do and needs help when being in dire straits, and is able to flip is fate around". I quite liked Fateful Hour.

>>52884164
Yes, I was thinking about something like this:
Choose a card type from among permanents target opponent controls or from his/her graveyard (Because they may want to hate Sorceries and Instants)
I am undecided about Land Hating tho.
>>
File: random ideas 2.jpg (478KB, 1125x1046px) Image search: [Google]
random ideas 2.jpg
478KB, 1125x1046px
Some assorted removal and an allusion to voidslime / inspiration from Barnes mechanic in the game we do not name.
>>
>>52884570
Forgot to mention that dispose is obviously strictly better than murder but I think that's fine. The issue is how much better is allowed. I feel like there should be an added clause such as "nonblack" to bring it down. Also, it should probably be rare like hero's downfall. Slag barrage should probably be uncommon or rare
>>
>>52884570
>Barnes mechanic in the game we do not name.
???
>>
>>52884445
>or something similar
No, just couldn't be arsed to put more effort into the wording. It'd need to say "permanent type".
>>
>>52884674
oh I dare not speak its name

In hearthstone there's a dude that creates a 1/1 copy of a random dude in your deck
>>
>>52884600
Although it's less likely, there's the possibility that this 2-for-1's on its own, which should bump up the cost as well. It'd probably be at least 4, if not 5 mana in a token-heavy set.
>>
>>52884696
Oh. Yeah, I don't pay much attention to Hearthstone, it's pretty boring to me. I really like Eternal, which is somewhat similar, but more complex and MTG-like.
>>
>>52883273
Oops, forgot to give feedback on this. I don't really see an issue with it; it's simplistic but given a lot of your cards, that's refreshing in a way. If you were going to do a repeatable O-ring though, I'd model it after Banisher Priest, not O-ring, for the sake of preventing those weird niche cases that got the wording changed to begin with.
>>
>>52884741
I mean, kolaghan's command is a guranteed 2 for 1. Sure it's an extra color but almost certainly killing a dude and making them discard is so universally good as to essentially just be what the card says. Whereas this is a sometimes 2 for 1 to help shore up against go wide strategies. So a 2 for 1 at instant speed is clearly acceptable, I'm just worried if a guarantee kill spell with 2for1 potential is okay or if it should be doomblade or something along those lines + the token clause.
>>
>>52884806
I mean 2-for-1 in the sense that it removes two things from the board, not that the card itself does two things. And by itself, this kill card does not seem rare-worthy.
I'd also step away from Doom Blade and color-leaning as out-moded design.
>>
>>52884530
>detain
How many mechanics are you going to put in this set? Also the notion that there are Angels and Monks co-existing is plain odd to me.
>>
>>52884912
I also meant 2 for 1 as in dealing with 2 cards in exchange for 1 as kolaghan's command always does, was just a poorly worded example.

And really thinking about it, I just considered tokens are more like half a card of value so a 3 mana sometimes 1.5 for 1 seems totally okay.

What of the other cards?
>>
File: Phantom Zone4.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Phantom Zone4.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
>>52884762
>Phantom Lady
Cool, thanks.

Oh, when I say O-Ring, I'm usually referring to the wording used on Banisher Priest and Silkwrap rather than the older O-Ring text. I mean, I feel like O-Ring is just a popular way to refer to the effect quickly. What else would we call it? Banish? Temp-exile?
>>
>>52885088
I like calling it "Banish" personally. But I don't because I don't see anyone else saying it. But I getcha.

Phantom Zone seems fine. 4WW seems to be the "removal with an upside" cost for most wipes these days.

Hm. I'd post a card but I'm out of ideas. I guess Pilgrim Keeper and Knight of Tranquility were all I had in me today.
>>
File: Gotham Gargoyle6.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gotham Gargoyle6.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
What's a good cost for a slow, colorless tutor?

>>52885148
I have the custom card challenge chart if you want to give it a shot.
>>
>>52885261
Eh, only one card got comment and I dunno if I feel like leaving it up to the dice. Not gonna stop you from posting it though, if you want to.

>Gargoyle
I don't really see a problem; it costs one more than a Diabolic Tutor and any color can use it. Sure, you get a bonus creature but you either have to have a sac engine to get your card or you have to wait on it to die. Seems fine to me.
>>
File: Ignoble Parasite.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ignoble Parasite.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>52884916
I'm not thinking about putting this Angel into the set, despite it having the same set symbol, it's just because if I have any kind of idea I just use the main set, then in the end I will just export the various cards that aren't supposed to be there into another.
>Why don't you just make another set instead?
Because I may also think that the card may fit the set in the future, and just leave it there, in that case it's there already, so it's just more comfy.

>How many mechanics are you going to put in this set?
You see anon, that's quite odd, I posted this card here on the July of two years ago without the Detain keyword, it was just: "That creature cannot attack and block" other anons just told me to use the keyword instead, even if it wasn't really in line with the flavor, and that's why it got detain. But to answer your question, I was thinking about two mechanics per faction.
>Angels and Monks co-existing
I still need to finish with the worldbuilding, but they may be there, they are my favourite creature type after all. Also, did you ever notice that some sets have creatures/cards in general that they look like they don't belong into that set because they just don't have any particular affiliation? It may be one of those cards. Also pic related.
>>
File: Solaris the Tyrant Sun.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Solaris the Tyrant Sun.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
Solaris. Absolutely giant creature with a giant effect. What else would you expect from a sun with a super-computer for a brain?

>>52885307
Eh, I'll save it for later then.

>Gargoyle
Cool, thanks.

>>52885407
Ah, a spin on Animate Dead. Well, let's try
>When ~ enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. When ~ leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
Or change sacrifice to exile, up to you.
>>
>>52884989
>Glain's Familiar
Seems pretty strong actually, though not sure how to cost it. With many creatures running ETB effects, the 1/1 doesn't make too much of a difference.

>Slag Barrage
I get what you're going for, but I don't think red should be outright destroying anything but artifacts.

>Immolating Imitation
Traitor's Roar is the most recent card like this, so looking at its cost, this card is too cheap as it's more than likely to kill its target too.

>Consume Mortals
Basically a wrath, nothing else to say.

>Kansai's Rejection
It seems alright, but 3 does seem like a lot, even for 6 mana.
>>
File: Natasha Knight Nocturna4.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Natasha Knight Nocturna4.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
Revamp of Nocturna. Let me know if I should ditch the discard part of it. I'd really like to keep it, but I will cut it if it's too much. Last card for tonight.
>>
File: Lindworm Adversary.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lindworm Adversary.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52883638
Should at least have 2 power. It's mostly just a bad fog.

>>52886411
meh
>>
>>52886528
2/1? Hm. I actually had it at 2/2 before I posted it but I figured based on what you were using it for, that was pointless. Still, possibly killing more than one thing might make it better. I suppose it is just a "bad Fog" but a niche benefit is you can't voltron Fog. Giving it indestructible makes it pretty cool, I think, but I didn't want to actually give it that self-contained ability, so I made it require support. I was actually thinking "reverse Prized Unicorn" when I made it, to give you an idea.

>>52886411
It may only have 2 power, but Deathtouch + Trample is really powerful, so keep that in mind.

>>52885953
Hm. I like how it works, but I dunno about the costs. It's really a shame that the nature of your project makes it improbable that it'll be playtested.
>>
File: Hemalys Lord of Blood.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hemalys Lord of Blood.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
>>52886411
doesn't feel mythic. There are certainly better ways at 4 mana to have either a threat on the board or ramp mana. trying to do both at once and have it balanced just makes me ask, "why?" in response to which I can come up with no answer.

>
I have no idea what kind of janky interactions this could entail. Looking for balance feedback
>>
I listened to Maro's BFZ Lessons learned podcast and one thing that stood out to me is that he didn't feel he captured the hunger aspect of Ulamog very well. I agreed because Ingest was a very lame mechanic and as mentioned specifically in the podcast Processor had a very strangle flavor that didn't make any sense. That got me thinking, if that answer was the right one, what was? I have an idea for a mechanic that captures what I liked flavorfully about ingest/processors (exiling the library = the eldrazi feeding), but I'm interesting in knowing was there any article explaining why they had the processor mechanic to go along with ingest? I can make assumptions and I have an idea for why they had it, but I'm interested in seeing the signifance of having a second mechanic taking advantage of the exile.
>>
>>52885953
Opponents will cast removal in response to the activated ability. Unless you have 6 mana, but then its unlikely that they have anything good in their hand.
>>
File: Set.jpg (2MB, 1875x2615px) Image search: [Google]
Set.jpg
2MB, 1875x2615px
Reposting, with some additions, in hope of more feedback. The possible beginnings of a set I'd wanna do.
>>
>>52886792
This card doesn't make much sense. First you have a global ability, which is then completely ignored by the second.
>>
File: Adnosian Ward.png (252KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Adnosian Ward.png
252KB, 375x523px
A twist on Silence.. though not sure the reminder text is necessarily correct.
>>
>>52887981
Couldnt this be "Target player gains/You gain hexproof until end of turn"? In that instance your reminder is wrong, and I believe that is what shroud/hexproof does.
>>
File: Dumot Vengeance-Sworn.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dumot Vengeance-Sworn.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>52887981
That reminder text is actually lying. It would counter/fizzle stuff by the rules text.
>>
File: Adnosian Wardv2.png (241KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Adnosian Wardv2.png
241KB, 375x523px
>>52888125
Oh that makes more sense. Surprised I didn't think of that. Probably thinking too much about Silence instead of what the card actually did. Also solves the incorrect reminder text.
>>
>>52887560
>Elite Seeker
Make it a may so you're not forced to blow up your own creatures.

>Regime
I dislike this because it can't be interacted with. Compare this to energy in Kaladesh, where you could build up resources and then use it on a payoff, whereas your cards just get better and better without needing to think about how much energy to spend on which effect etc.

>Chosen of the Deep
While rampant self-mill is usually a downside in limited, I feel like a 4/X vigilance indestructible for 3 is too much. If you want to keep it as is make sure there are answers to this card (-X/-X effects, O-ring effects, unpreventable damage, instant speed burn etc).

>Rebellion
Strictly better Threaten. Make it 1RR.

>Brainleech
I have no problem with the actual card but the name implies a small creature that has some "look at target player's hand" effect.

Overall this could lead to some powerful draft decks, which is good, but I would guess that UR would be the best combination by far as its lategame spells are more or less comparable to the other colors at a fraction of the cost (7/3 for 1R and draw 5 for 2U seem plausible).
As a suggestion, you can easily include 4 mana wraths here (at rare obviously) since UR won't care much, BW plays the wrath, WR can recover quickly with some 3+ token producers at uncommon, UG can avoid overextending by playing 1 or 2 huge threats and BG gets delve fuel.
>>
>>52886411
Wizards doesn't like having Deathtouch and Trample on the same card.
>>
>>52886886
>explaining why they had the processor mechanic to go along with ingest?
Uh, anon, are you seriously asking why the mechanic that needed to have cards your opponents own in exile was paired with the mechanic that exiles cards your opponents own?
>>
>>52887981
>>52888656
Gaining Hexproof like this (which is pure White btw) would cause the game to counter al spells and abilities your opponents control that target only you. This is because by gaining Hexproof, those spells and abilities are now targeting something the game says they can't target. An illegal target, which makes the game counter those spells and abilities as stated before, even ones that would be uncounterable otherwise.
>>
>>52889850
Pretty sure he's asking why specifically they included the processor mechanic instead of leaving ingest as a standalone. I mean even flavor-wise it makes little sense to somehow be throwing up stuff for benefit.
>>
>>52890009
Dunno about flavor, but in terms of pure mechanics, I believe Wizards said it was an experiment in using exile as a resource.
>>
>>52883273
Easily repeatable flicker at instant speed is a Very Broken Ability™. Not only do you get to re-use powerful ETB triggers, you also have the ability to negate attacking creatures. More than that, the template you've used (slow flicker) also allows you to effectively sweep the enemy board for an important attack.
>>
File: Jace Guild Arbiter10.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jace Guild Arbiter10.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Jace again. Not sure on the cost of the ult, but I really liked the idea of confiscating an opponent's deck.

>>52891504
Well, as I mentioned it's a twist on Mistmeadow Witch. So I guess the best way to go about fixing this is to increase the cost of the activation. 2WU good enough? More?
>>
>>52886411
Wurms with only 2 Power? It's not really a Wurm, more like a Worm.
>>52887981
Temporal Mercadia's Mask, as a whitefag, I approve.
>>52888270
Hey, that's not bad, I like the flavor and mechanics, nothing much to say. But, why would he be vengeful about fallen instants/sorceries that you control?
>LIGHTNING BOLT?! NOOO NOT YOU!
>OH LIGHTNING BOLT, GIVE ME STRENGHT
>I WILL AVENGE MY FALLEN COMRADE, LIGHTNING BOLT! BY SUMMONING HIS CORPSE YOU WILL FEEL ITS PAIN
>But Dumot, your master was th-
>SILENCE, YOU FIEND! AND DIE
>>
File: Kirk Langstrom2.jpg (88KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kirk Langstrom2.jpg
88KB, 752x523px
Guy experiments with bats, injects himself, turns into a werebat. He's basically Jeckyll and Hyde, except Hyde is a bat.

>>52893175
>Temporal Mercadia's Mask, as a whitefag, I approve.
I was wondering before if people were just unaware of Gilded Light, and this has me convinced. Also, I believe you meant to say "temporary" not "temporal".
>>
>>52893267
Gilded Light gives Shroud, not Hexproof, also is more costly and has cycling, it's not the same.

Thanks about the correction.
>>
>>52893381
I realize it's not the same, but I think it's a closer comparison than to Ivory Mask, the card I think you were referring to. Which also gives Shroud, so I'm not even sure why you brought that up.
>>
>>52889061
Thanks a bunch for the in depth response.

>Elite Seeker
good catch

>Regime
See, after kaladesh came out, I also was like "this seems like energy but less interesting because instead of spending it you just keep amassing more." Personally I'm more a fan of Delve than Threshhold, for a comparison of the two. But several threads back I posted that idea and people talked me into experience still having merit. I am sorta excited to test it out and see whether it's actually busted or not.
The way I try and think of it more, is that it's an extension of my love for cards like Kindle or Rune Snag. Just instead of a specific named card it's a cluster of a few.

>Chosen of the Deep
Those effects will definitely exist. I might try upping the "regen" cost to 2 or 3.

>Rebellion
Eh, I was aware of this but thinking it might be comparable to something like Scroll Thief vs Scroll-Thief-With-Prowess that I don't remember the name of. But I could make it 1RR if not.

>Brainleech
I might change the name.

The theme(?) of the set is "escalation" and I do like how it is giving out so much power. You are the second person to be afraid of regime though so that might definitely need to get toned down. I would prefer to tone it down rather than scrap it though.
Some kind of Wrath will definitely make an appearance at rare.
Again, thank you very much for the responses.
>>
>>52894242
>Scroll-Thief-With-Prowess that I don't remember the name of
Jhessian Thief.
>>
File: Brainiac.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Brainiac.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Not exactly sure where to go with this guy. Idea is complete assimilation. Just taking away everything your opponents have. I feel like Sen Triplets would work really well, but I don't want to just copy that card.
>>
File: Sehoujn Banisher.png (987KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Sehoujn Banisher.png
987KB, 750x1046px
Exert exert.
>>
>>52897497
I'd say "another target permanent", but otherwise it seems really cool.
>>
>>52897497
Actually seems pretty broken. Repeating (delayed) flicker is very strong.
>>
File: Lightning Pact.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning Pact.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
File: angel demon.jpg (109KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
angel demon.jpg
109KB, 750x523px
>>52900529
This seems a bit too powerful in how easily it can end games in a burn heavy deck.
>>
>>52900953
The first card is beyond broken.
The second one may be ok as a Rare.
>>
>>52900953
Eh, I was afraid of that. Thanks.

>Faithful Supplicant
Going by Falkenrath Gorger, I'd make it
>Each Angel creature card you own that isn't on the battlefield has miracle W.
>>
File: Mazka Linebreakers.png (295KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mazka Linebreakers.png
295KB, 375x523px
Not a traditionally red ability, but I think it fits when used this way.
>>
File: Nightwings Call.jpg (65KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Nightwings Call.jpg
65KB, 375x523px
Yup, RW Nahiri's ult on a spell, minus searching for artifacts.

>>52901272
Eh, not really buying it. Could just be me though.
>>
File: Absolute Deception.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Absolute Deception.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
Bumping the thread with another old card.
>>
>>52901272
See triton tactics. Sorry, but this card is blue through and through.
>>
Artifacts! Common and uncommon at once to spice things up. A couple of reprints for the set, as well.
>>52901460
A creature tutor feels odd in RW, but I suppose it's kind of similar to Through the Breach. And white does get limited creature tutoring sometimes.
>>52902873
I feel like this would be a lot simpler if you just gained control of the creature but it couldn't attack or block. Something along those lines. Also, why split second?
>>
File: 1493176907130061.png (303KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1493176907130061.png
303KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52903139
Efreeti's Lamp is way too strong at common and colorless.
>>
>>52903601
I can knock it down to 1 damage.
>>
>>52903139
>Why split secon
Because I don't want players to use the ability of the permanent I'm targeting as a response to the card giving me the middle finger. (And that would happen like... Always)
>>
File: Guardian Of The Grass.png (305KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Guardian Of The Grass.png
305KB, 375x523px
>>52903570
Made it more realistic.
>>52888270
I love this guy, and he is so vengeance sworn he will flashback his spells on you. and seems very balanced with 3 power

>>52897497
This is a really good idea, i like your style
>>
>>52902896
That is the converse though. This card punishes your opponent blocking, whereas triton punishes the opponent attacking.
>>
>>52903797
Why?
>>
File: Spirit of Festivities.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Spirit of Festivities.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>52894242
>Regime
If you're set on trying it I won't try to stop you. Balancing it is going to be tough.
I recommend making the rest of the Regime cards cost more than the ones you already have so there are some decisions along the lines of "do I use my low-cost cards to power up my high-cost cards or do I try to hold them until they're undercosted bombs?"
I could of course be overestimating it so take this with a grain of salt.

>I might try upping the "regen" cost to 2 or 3.
2 sounds good.

>Rebellion
I wouldn't complain about a strictly better scaled wurn, but going from stealing 1 creature to stealing 2 is a significant upgrade.

>>52903139
>Aristocrat's Circlet
I think this would make more sense flavorwise if it cared about CMC rather than power.

>Dancing Scimitar
I could see this as an uncommon in a set with a lot of aggro decks, but yours seems to be somewhat durdly. Ayn particular reason (other than it originally being uncommon)?

Rest is fine. I like Efreeti Lamp the most and Aneketian Pyramid the least if that helps.
>>
File: Alabaster Courtesan.png (263KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alabaster Courtesan.png
263KB, 375x523px
>>52906940
It's hard for me to say if this is okay or not. Probably not at common, either way. It seems to me in the right deck (cheap red haste) this coming down turn 2 means a hand dump of thinks like Spark Elementals en masse. Seems to me it could be problematic. Pretty sure that there are enough cheap hasty creatures to make that not a magical Christmas land scenario either.

>>52903139
I agree that the Circlet should deal with CMC; it's more thematic for your set. I feel like the Pyramid could probably add two mana of any color and be fine. Also not sure the draw needs life loss, honestly. You can get "T: Draw a card" for four mana on a creature, or "3U: Draw a card" for 1U on a creature, so 6 mana plus two per draw is probably fine, honestly. Slaver's Chains is cool. It'll be interesting to see how every color getting a harder to remove Banisher Priest works out.

>>52896708
If the idea is complete assimilation, why not give him theft on swing? I mean at 7 mana, you can start getting into Eldrazi levels of crazy, and they had Annihilator, so you can probably swipe a permanent since he has no protection from removal at all, and no evasion to ensure you get the steal every time. I dunno, I just feel like 7 mana in 3 colors means you can get away with a lot. Sen Triplets actually lets you do a lot more than this, I feel.

>>52893267
Hm. I dunno if I get the feel of his shtick from this, at least the part that makes him transform in the first place. What's his serum supposed to do? It could be you could emulate those effects with the tap ability, then if he targets himself, he transforms? I dunno. It's still a mechanically interesting card though. It might be that trying to convey that sort of thing through card flavor alone is a bit much to ask so I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
File: Excessive Mining.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Excessive Mining.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>52907297
>stuff about spirit of festivities
Are you talking about constructed or limited? Rarity is irrelevant for constructed and I don't think it's crazy in limited. You can't get the kind of consistency with a draft deck you'd need for the deck you're alluding to. And speaking of limited, this seems like a card you want multiples of or none at all so it's common or bust.

>Courtesan
Shouldn't that be two separate abilities? Would at least read nicer. In fact I'd just go
>1: You may look at the top card of target player's library if that player owns a card exiled with ~.
Requires mana but it's also a little more flexible and easier to read.

>card
Going for a playable 4cmc LD spell.
>>
File: Vengeful Angel.jpg (30KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Vengeful Angel.jpg
30KB, 375x523px
>>
File: CA04 Djinnis Lamp.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CA04 Djinnis Lamp.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52906940
Updated the circlet to consider cmc.
>Dancing Scimitar
I've actually included quite a few efficient, aggressive cards spread throughout red, white, and black. Aggressive creatures, efficient token spells, good removal, fast mana, ways to refuel. It is hard to balance when the theme of the block is geared more towards the late game, though; I don't want aggro decks to close games too quickly, but I also don't want them to struggle through every game. Dancing Scimitar felt like a blocker good enough to give slower limited decks a chance against more aggressive opponents without shutting those opponents down. Additionally, the colorless cost makes it easily available even to the most multicolor of decks. Plus, I just love it thematically.
>Efreeti Lamp
It's a callback to a card from the last set. Pic related.
>Aneketian Pyramid
It's a callback to Pyramids, with some Book of Rass thrown in there.
>Spirit of Festivities
I feel like nontoken might be a necessary specification here, as this is absolutely crazy with token spells. Especially in multiples which, for 1R at common, is entirely possible.
>>52907297
>Circlet
Updated now, thanks.
>Pyramid
I was concerned that no additional cost might make it too good of a late game draw engine with all of the mana available. I'll consider your points, though.
>Slaver's Chains
Yeah, I've made sure artifact removal is available throughout various rarities and colors, so hopefully that mitigates it without invalidating it. I'm thinking purely from a limited-format perspective, though, which is what I focus on when designing. I haven't put too much thought into constructed considerations.
>Alabaster Courtesan
I feel like separating the two abilities might be cleaner. Something like "At the beginning of your upkeep, if a card is exiled with ~, you may look at the top card of the exiled card's owner's library." Maybe phrased less clunkily, but you get the idea.
>>
>>52907297
>Brainiac
True, I'll just try that then.

>Man-Bat
>What's his serum supposed to do?
It turns people into werebats basically. Turning that into an ability would be something like
>Until end of turn, target creature gets +N/+N, gains flying, and becomes a Bat in addition to its other types.
Might go with that actually.
>>
File: 1 Uncommon Lands First Draft.jpg (315KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
1 Uncommon Lands First Draft.jpg
315KB, 1875x523px
>>52908497
Also, I've made these. I'm ready to move onto rares and mythics now; after that, the block will be finished.
>>
File: Spiritual Sequel.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Spiritual Sequel.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>52907297
>>52908497
I figured being a target that dies to everything when the opp doesn't want to use removal on tokens anyway was a big enough downside, but maybe not. I really want to keep the token synergy though so I'll try to think of another way to nerf it. Maybe a berserker clause? That would fit the flavour.

>card
I know green doesn't get polymorphs but this feels appropriate since it's a creature buff. Not sure about the cost.
>>
>>52908929
These seem cool. Dunno about balance though, sorry. And Spiritual Realm seems really odd in comparison with the others, in terms of flavor.
>Outpost
>Jungle
>Pulpit
>Palace
>SUDDENLY, IN ANOTHER DIMENSION!
>>
File: CU09 Touch of the Duat.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CU09 Touch of the Duat.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>52909218
It's where spirits like the djinn and efreet reside in my setting.
>>
>>52909319
Seems pretty overcosted. I think even just getting rid of the 2 generic would work.
>>
Slow thread. I guess I picked a bad time to be productive! Well, here's the first full draft of multicolored uncommons for the set. Let me know what you think.
>>52908980
I think you need to separate the abilities. Something like "Creatures you control have base power X and base toughness Y, where..." Slashes aren't used very often in rules text; in fact, I think I've only seen them in and/or situations. I also think it's probably undercosted.
>>52909757
It's costed similarly to Voidwalk, which is a bit more expensive than it should be because of cipher, I suppose. I could knock it down to 1 generic.
>>
File: Kirk Langstrom Man-Bat3.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kirk Langstrom Man-Bat3.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
Another go at Man-Bat.

>>52909810
>It's costed similarly to Voidwalk, which is a bit more expensive than it should be because of cipher, I suppose. I could knock it down to 1 generic.
Or you could just do more with it. Make it more flexible or add more targets.

>cards
Pretty sure I've commented on all these before.
>>
>>52910024
>Or you could just do more with it. Make it more flexible or add more targets.
I don't want to make it too complex at common.
>Man-Bat
Seems solid. Will he still be a Bat for the end step check?
>>
>>52910077
>I don't want to make it too complex at common.
I got the idea from Ghostly Flicker, which is common. Not quite the same, but similar.

>Seems solid. Will he still be a Bat for the end step check?
Yes. "end of turn" effects end at the cleanup step, the step which occurs right after the end step. Remember how I was talking about how Unearth on an aura wouldn't protect the creature from damage that only the aura's toughness boost was allowing it to live through? Well, there are a few auras in Magic that have the same problem. Basically, you could cast them as though they had Flash, but they got sacced later. Problem was, after the rules changed, they had to later the wording due to the differences between the end and cleanup steps. Wizards at first made a keyword called Substance, a keyword with so little impact Wizards made it obsolete quite a while ago. Basically, if you used the Flash ability to cast the aura, it would gain Substance until end of turn. And when it lost Substance, it was sacced. Then Wizards gave up and just told the players to sac it at the cleanup step.
>>
File: Sturm und Drang.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sturm und Drang.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>52909810
>Supply Line Raiders
Taxing the opponent doesn't seem relevant here as they can respond to the trigger with instants and ambush cards. Suggesting "The next spell target player casts until your next turn costs [1] more."
Otherwise these look good.

>I think you need to separate the abilities.
Nope.
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3A%22base+power+and+toughness%22&v=card&s=cname
As for costing, I'll hope for more feedback before settling.

>>52910024
This feels more UG than BG to me. Otherwise fine except for the Oxford comma.
>>
>>52910077
>>52910163
Sorry, I rambled. Yes, Man-Bat will get the counter after using the ability. But do you think I should change the trigger so it's more obvious? Like, say, beginning of combat? Postcombat main phase?

>>52910182
>This feels more UG than BG to me.
True. But Bat is a solidly Black type. I'd feel weird not including Black in it somewhere.

>Otherwise fine except for the Oxford comma.
"Except"? First, I like the Oxford comma. Second, so does Wizards, pic related.
>>
>>52910182
>>52910263
Sorry, feedback.

>Sturm und Drang
Never head of this before. "Storm and thunder"? I guess you're a fan of this type of literature? Anyway, the card reminds me of Avaricious Dragon, though it isn't a creature. I'm not entirely sure how to judge it though. I think it should be at rare though.
>>
>>52910182
>http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3A%22base+power+and+toughness%22&v=card&s=cname
I see nothing that indicates you shouldn't separate the abilities. All of these set p/t to a specific number or to the same variable value, which yours does not. If it did, I think you'd be in good shape. However, I also see nothing that indicate I'm right, either (I'm not sure wizards has printed a card that sets base power and base toughness to two separate variables), so take my advice with a grain of salt.
>Taxing the opponent doesn't seem relevant here as they can respond to the trigger with instants and ambush cards.
I want the opponent to be able to respond. Play and counterplay are good elements to a game of Magic.
>Sturm and Drang
I agree that the card should be rare.
>>52910263
>Change the trigger?
I don't think that's necessary, especially since it is in fact totally functional as-is.
>>
>>52888270
WouldRunAsEDHCommander/10
>>
>>52910263
>>52910316
>Oxford comma
I was joking, hence the spoilers.

>Should be at rare.
Done. The name comes from German literature. I'm not mcuh of a /lit/ guy though, I just like how it sounds. Flavourwise, Sturm und Drang refers to poetry that focuses on emotions, written in response to the age of enlightenment.

>Man-Bat
It's still in color for BG. The slow growing just reminds me of Evolve, which was simic. Definitely doesn't need to be 3 color. Bats being black is a good justification. So BG is fine by me.

>>52910356
>I want the opponent to be able to respond. Play and counterplay are good elements to a game of Magic.
I agree, I'm just saying that in this instance the second ability is unlikely to ever actually do anything. If you think that forcing the opp's hand is good enough in this set then keep it as is.
Now that I think of it, how does Ambush work when both players have cards with it? The active player puts his triggers on the stack first? Initially I said that this makes things awkward, but if it works like miracles (you can choose to pay upon resolution of the trigger) this sounds more and more interesting. Players just show cards from their hand and then dare the opponent to cast theirs.

>p/t stuff
I don't see how it's any different from setting P/T to 3/1 as Aven Mimeomancer does it.
>>
>>52910644
>I was joking, hence the spoilers.
Spoilers? I guess you forget them then.

>p/t stuff
I haven't been taking part in this conversation, but I don't see anything really wrong with your wording. And as for what Time anon has been saying, in that case, you wouldn't need to use variables, you could just reference power and toughness directly. Eg.
>Each creature you control has base power equal to the enchanted card's power and toughness equal to the enchanted card's toughness.
>>
>>52908497
Wasn't this an actual card? I can't seem to find it tho.

>>52900234
It is very strong, but it just hops a turn, and only if it attacks. I also like the interaction that if you kill it, you don't get it back. So there's only a limited window for removal, if you wish to do that.

>>52901272
Pretty sure exert is going to be evergreen'd eventually, you can use the keyword here. Seems blue tho.

>>52903139
Dancing Scimitar shouldn't have ever been a rare :p

>>52903797
Yey.

>>52909810
You need to add 'among all permanents' to Pinaccle.

>Burning Secrets
I'd change it to: "Draw a card or exile a card from the top of your library"

>Kethiri
Engh. I'm a bit against big prowess guys, and big trinkety guys, but this works.

>Mindbreak
'Tis ok. Longer or more difficult effects tend to go first.

>Devourer
A bit boring. You could make it much fun-ner with XXWB, exile X creatures until ~ leaves, or X from player's hand. Or something. Doesn't feel like it devours anything atm.

>Devoted
That's nice.

>Vanguard
Deceptively op.

>Ancient
Cool use of Unearth.

>>52910024
Hm. I think you can achieve similar effects with more elegant solutions:

Bats you control get +1/+1, and have flying.
BG: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. It becomes a Bat until end of turn.
>>
File: Vibrant Vase.png (842KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Vibrant Vase.png
842KB, 750x1046px
>>
>>52908980
you should use Imprint for this
>>
File: Kate Kane Batwoman5.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kate Kane Batwoman5.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>52910866
>Man-Bat
Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't really do what I want it to do.

>>52910971
Woah. This is huge. And probably needs to cost more. I mean, this hits every single permanent with a mana ability. Just getting a card that hits a single basic land type is 4 CMC. Could be wrong though.
>>
File: Daybreak Angel.jpg (33KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Daybreak Angel.jpg
33KB, 375x523px
>>52910808
>Spoilers? I guess you forget them then.
Huh. I swear I put them there. Oh well.

>You could just reference power and toughness directly.
That wording looks good. Thank you.

>>52910977
But then it's less interactive and I feel keeping the card in the 'yard is more green.

>>52910971
>>52911012
>Vase
I don't like how close the set symbol is to the top of the type-box. Otherwise solid with a perfect picture.
>Malaga
You don't need the comma after Malaga in the first line. Fragile enough not to be oppressive and great in the right deck. Good card.

>card
Does this need to be UW? Also not sure if the wording for the first line is correct. I'm hoping it's not super OP.
>>
>>52911182
Let's try
>During combat, you may cast ~ as though it had flash.
I guess I could see it being mono-White only if it were a flashy mythic. Otherwise, yeah, WU.
>>
>>52911262
>I guess I could see it being mono-White only if it were a flashy mythic. Otherwise, yeah, WU.
What? Rarity has nothing to do with the color pie. Or are you saying it needs to be more expensive to be monoW?
>>
File: Image.png (143KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
143KB, 223x311px
>>52911315
In my opinion, the color pie bends more easily at mythic than at any other rarity. Or did you forget about Glorious End so soon?
>>
>>52911354
Just because Wizards does it to sell packs doesn't mean it's acceptable.
>>
File: Lifeflame Phoenix.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lifeflame Phoenix.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>52911399
I think most people don't mind pie bending if it's at mythic and there's a reasonably good explanation for it. Being mythic assures people that the card will be a one-off, something that won't see a lot of play. A large mana cost would also help with that.

I actually had a conversation relating to this a while back where someone wanted to use the flavor of Phoenix rebirth and apply it to the player, for example by somehow increasing life total. This is what I came up with. Notice how normally it reduces your life total in exchange for greater power, which is highly Red, but could be used in a desperate situation to gain some life back.

But in the end, it's up to you. If you want to be completely color pie compliant, add U. I won't judge you either way.
>>
File: Doomed Warrior.png (1018KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Doomed Warrior.png
1018KB, 750x1046px
>>52911177
What do you want it to do?
It looks like a sort of mid-way Kaseto.

>>52911182
Yeahhh I need a new symbol, it's just a placeholder for it tho.

>>52911177
It's sort of Caged Sun, but legendary, and without the +1/+1's. I think I can barely get away with it.

>>52911354
That effect is as red as it can get. It's been a while since WotC printed cards like these, but I love them. Final Fortune, Last Chance, and I think one more.
>>
>>52911566
>What do you want it to do?
Buff once for each creature and permanently buff Kirk if he does it to himself.

>Caged Sun
It's a lot better than Caged Sun in that not only does it work for all your lands, but even nonlands. Imagine running that thing with mana dorks and rocks.

>That effect is as red as it can get. It's been a while since WotC printed cards like these, but I love them. Final Fortune, Last Chance, and I think one more.
I myself view it as a color pie bend, and I think Wizards does as well, since the main effect is very Blue, and the first time they've done something like this in quite a while, they make it a mythic, even though we know the actual mechanics of the ability don't require it to be.

>card
"When" not "whenever" for the first bit. I realize it'll probably trigger twice, but that's how Wizards does it. I guess because it ETBs once and dies once.

Last ability should say "Return ~". Again, that's how Wizards does it. "Put" seems to only be when it's not exclusively from your graveyard. For example, Geth, Lord of the Vault.
>>
>>52911566
Usually ress effects comes with the zombie/skeleton being tapped out, also, are you sure about instant speed?
>>
>>52911547
Doesn't the first and second effect go into conflict because they both trigger when the Phoenix enters the battlefield? Just include something like "from your hand" for the first effect.
>>
File: Resort to Violence.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Resort to Violence.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>52911547
I think the flavour justification for monoW is there, and the ability is reasonably close to things like Silence and Resto that I'll keep it as is for now.
The phoenix is difficult to judge but I would say it fits monoR.
I just dislike mythic rarity and Wizards' tendency to print pushed and efficient engine cards (e.g. Grim Flayer) at mythic so I try to avoid it whenever possible. Maybe I overreacted a bit.

>>52911756
>It's a lot better than Caged Sun in that not only does it work for all your lands, but even nonlands. Imagine running that thing with mana dorks and rocks.
Caged Sun's anthem effect allows it to have immediate board impact, which is something the Vase doesn't have. Also note that if you're playing with mana dorks it means you're playing green, in which case you don't actually need artifact mana. So mana wise the only difference is that Vase increases your artifact-generated mana (assuming the Sun deck has a decent manabase), and at least I think that the legendary supertype and lack of board impact justify that.

>card
Probably the last for today. I really liked manifest. No idea if green is the right color, but I think the cost is fine.
>>
File: Retroactive Continuity2.jpg (61KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Retroactive Continuity2.jpg
61KB, 375x523px
For those who don't read comics, retcon stands for "retroactive continuity" and basically refers to an event in a story that alters previous events in that same story. So the idea behind this is to mess with cards outside the game, to sort of flavorfully say "No, it turns out this is how it was the entire time." Hmm, though I suppose in that case it could be like Research.

>>52912385
What do you mean trigger? You'd pay the X cost equal to your life total before the activated ability resolves, which then puts it onto the battlefield, triggering the triggered ability and exchanging your life total for its power. The idea is that if you're under 5 life, it becomes a way out.

>>52912393
>I just dislike mythic rarity and Wizards' tendency to print pushed and efficient engine cards (e.g. Grim Flayer) at mythic so I try to avoid it whenever possible. Maybe I overreacted a bit.
That's fine, I understand. And I get that feeling too. I guess it would feel kinda pay to win if it were like that all the time. Oh, like that one mythic that pissed everyone off, Lotus Cobra.

>Vase
Well, sounds like you're giving Kazy better advice than I can. This is why I always tell people to listen to more than one person.

>Resort to Violence
Seems cool. And I think
>Discard X cards: Create X 2/2's
Is a fine Green ability.
>>
>>52912711
>Retcon
>tapped
But why? It's an 8 mana sorcery that requires boardpresence and constricts sideboard space; if you actually resolve it you deserve to win the game. I'd also change it to "any number of" instead of "all" so you don't lose all your lands. Definitely a cool design.

>Green ability
Sweet, thanks.
>>
File: Anarky Bombs.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Anarky Bombs.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
OK, time for something not so crazy. I really like the idea of artifacts with both ETB and graveyard triggers. Dunno why really. Here's hoping 3 generic is enough for a much slower Staggershock.

>>52913323
>Retcon
Not really in the best condition to be designing cards right now to be honest. Anyway, I was thinking of altering it so you could also recur cards you own in exile with it, so it's a little more flexible. Also, should I keep matching the CMC? I feel like without the randomness of Mass Polymorph and Synthetic Destiny, I need to keep the CMC restriction. What do you think?
>>
>>52888270
I'm pretty certain delve would absolutely break this guy.
>>
>>52913689
Keeping it at 8 mana is correct, I think.
Flexibility is always good. Just add "or exiled with ~" after "from outside the game" and you're golden.

Artifact looks okay to me. Good in KCI, but so are most cards in the right deck.
>>
File: Lonnie Machin Anarky5.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lonnie Machin Anarky5.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>52914028
>"or exiled with ~"
Well, "exiled with ~" would just mean flicker. I was thinking of the wording from Coax.
>you own from outside the game or in exile

>Anarky Bombs
Thanks.

Since I posted the bombs, might as well post Anarky himself. I really like the second ability, but I've never been able to come up with anything I really like for the first. Should have something to do with artifacts, obviously. Now that I think about it, the first ability here is probably just too good.
>>
>>52914216
>I was thinking of the wording from Coax.
I did that sort of automatically. Yeah, Coax wording is fine.

>Lonnie
Yeah that first ability is insane in any artifact deck. Is he an engineer or something? Maybe something along the lines of polymorphing your artifacts? Thinking of continuous abilities that aren't broken is tough.
>>
File: custom card challenge.png (336KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
custom card challenge.png
336KB, 1600x1000px
Rolled 5, 6, 1, 1, 9 = 22 (5d10)

Might as well try something different. Rolling for every category but the last.

>>52914553
>Anarky
No, idea is more or less he's a tinkerer. He makes his own devices which he uses to harm his enemies. Might make it recur an artifact to hand on combat damage.
>>
>>52907980
>card that is completely impossible to remove
>white/blue card that can be cast from graveyard
no
>>52907297
>Probably not at common, either way
That makes no sense, it isn't going to be OP in limited and it isn't particularly complex.
>>
File: 5 6 1 1 9.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
5 6 1 1 9.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>52914680
>Green, creature, card advantage, CMC 1, rare
Eh, does this really work? My other idea was a 0/1 or something that you could tap to draw cards equal to its toughness, but even that I feel like would need to be 2G or higher.
>>
>>52915263
Meant to say "equal to its power"
>>
File: cards.jpg (972KB, 1500x2092px) Image search: [Google]
cards.jpg
972KB, 1500x2092px
Found some cards on DA by someone called "markydaysaid". These aren't the actual cards, I just took everything but the name and art, since the names are kinda cringy and a lot of the art isn't allowed on a blue board, though I did change the rules text just slightly. I think the card I like the most is the BR enchantment.
>>
>>52907686
>>52915182
Two separate thoughts, my fault there. I was going to point out that it seemed WotC was shying away from cheap, common dorks, but not the case because they printed Druid of the Cowl, so that kind of nixes that. In terms of Constructed, yeah, it's much more of an overall problem I think.

>Courtesan
I don't think adding a mana cost to it to allow you to peek at a card immediately is worth it, BUT, what about adding the cost, then allowing you to peek at top card or that player's hand? Does that seem fair? Either way, will separate the clauses even though I think it reads fine as-is personally.

>Mining
Seismic Spike says it's technically okay.

>>52908497
Will separate the clauses, since it was requested a few times. I prefer them all together, but eh, c'est la vie.

>>52908980
Well you are likely to front load it, so maybe.

>Sequel
I agree on imprint, or at the very least a functional mimic of how it works.
>>
>>52914680
DICKS, HOW ABOUT'EM.

>Type, Mechanic, CMC, Theme.

I can't ever fucking work out the color thing; and whenever someone tells me, I quickly forget.
>>
>>52917350
??
Roll not working?
>>
Rolled 9, 10, 2, 6, 9 = 36 (5d10)

>>52917350
What, do you get confused about multicolor? Rolling again, BTW.
>>
>>52917380
Well, not working on my end ;_; Used a random generator.
10,2,8,7 = 27
>>
Rolled 3, 5, 7, 2, 6 = 23 (5d10)

>>52917401
Ugh, planeswalker? Rolling again.

>>52917409
It's just "dice+5d10" or whatever number you want other than 5, in the options bar. No quotes of course.
>>
File: 3 5 7 2 6.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
3 5 7 2 6.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
Rolled 6, 10, 6, 8, 9 = 39 (5d10)

>>52917501
>Black, creature, tax/control, CMC 2, uncommon
Ugh, I hate designing tax/control. Mostly because I don't really know what it is. OK, one more.
>>
I'm about to use this to make some cards for my homebrew board game/RPG. Tips? I'm a total beginner.
>>
Rolled 9, 8, 9, 10, 3 = 39 (5d10)

>>52917605
>Colorless planeswalker
Fuck. One more roll?
>>
>>52917636
If it's not Magic, I'm not sure how much we can help you.
>>
File: 9 8 9 10 3.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
9 8 9 10 3.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>52917640
>Multicolor (UG), artifact, token generation, CMC X, common
Fuck, it's like the chart is trying to torture me. Probably not common at this point, but fuck it.
>>
File: Forgotten Forgemaster.png (599KB, 750x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Forgotten Forgemaster.png
599KB, 750x1056px
Rolled 4, 2, 6, 3 = 15 (4d10)

>>52917401
... Yeaaah. I skipeed the explaining bit T_T

>>52917501
I'm dense. I was doing roll+.

Well I actually love the card I just made \o/
It could easily be part of a cycle.
>>
File: Paradise Fair.png (203KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Paradise Fair.png
203KB, 375x523px
Well. I know little of modern, but I'm sure it's an insta-win, insta-ban card for affinity.
>>
File: conquest common cycle.jpg (406KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
conquest common cycle.jpg
406KB, 1875x523px
Very basic implementation of a pseudo keyword.

Green gave me a lot of trouble, I wanted to make it +1 counter on a dude or +1 on 3 dudes but that seemed too good and counter intuitive. Giving a combat bonus AFTER triggering conquest when the most likely thing to trigger it IS combat feels wrong. I then figured untapped 1 or 3 lands but then it becomes dark ritual. So I've settled on this which also synergizes with the rest of the set's graveyard theme.

Would green be too good if it also allowed you to grab lands / any cards with the appropriate CMC?
>>
>>52918354
Modern affinity has already dumped its hand by turn 3. I'd be more worried about how this basically begs to be used for instant win combos. However, they would probably have to be 3+ card combos and you're barely cheating on mana and your opponent can get good stuff too sooo... Without testing it I'd say it's probably okay. But should it allow lands? I kinda feel like allowing lands is where it can get the most broken.
>>
File: Cole Cash Grifter4.jpg (58KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cole Cash Grifter4.jpg
58KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52920383
Seems legit. Just an all around solid design with no significant issues raised by it. Though I feel like you should probably always post some insight as to why you design the cards the way you do, hard to evaluate a card based on a character without context.
>>
File: Talir Ensouled Champion.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Talir Ensouled Champion.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
How about Mythics? Red as per new Grenzo.
>>52910866
>You need to add 'among all permanents' to Pinaccle.
No I don't. See cards like Favor of the Mighty.
>I'd change it to: "Draw a card or exile a card from the top of your library"
Why? That seems overly complex for not a lot of added functionality.
>A bit boring. You could make it much fun-ner with XXWB, exile X creatures until ~ leaves, or X from player's hand. Or something.
I feel like those changes are way too complex to make at uncommon.
>Wasn't this an actual card?
Nope, that's one of mine.
>>52918948
So, bloodthirst: pseudo edition? It feels weird across all colors. What are your plans for it?
>>52920383
Simple and functional, if a bit boring. I agree, some context would help.
>>
>>52922329
Well this is more just a pseudo denoting a trigger than bloodthirst but fair enough.

I originally intended it to be a WR mechanic but figured I'd see what I could do with it across the other colors. The set it's in would probably have a lot of paying life and such so there'd be plenty of opportunity and play with it however, it'd mostly be relegated to RW and a bit of G anyway, definitely would have the least in U regardless.

Having thought about it some more, perhaps set wide pseudos are better left to sets without strong color pair factions. Maybe put conquest to mostly being in WR again with just a splash outside for flavor / interesting mechanics. Possibly replace it with Morbid as a set wide pseudo seeing as how it's such a grave/sac based set.
>>
>>52922329
Eh. Well that's wizard's fucking up desu. It contradicts with Accelerating Mutation, Crackling Doom, Matca Rioters, and way too many others.

Because exile is red's draw.
>>
File: Belay.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Belay.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52923744
A decent, efficiently costed counterspell that hits planeswalkers? I like it.

It would also never be printed.
>>
>>52923744
I feel like this would never exist given how creature-heavy the game is. You know, on top of Wizards dialing back on counterspells- especially cheap ones.
>>
File: index.jpg (489KB, 750x1572px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
489KB, 750x1572px
gonna post a before and after asking for feedback think of them as a dnd party for mtg
>>
File: index.jpg 2.jpg (463KB, 750x1570px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg 2.jpg
463KB, 750x1570px
>>52925373
>>
>>52918948
See Nature's Spiral for what green is allowed to get (permanents). The restrictions on green that aren't on any other color make it magnitudes worse.
>>
File: Mavethim.png (268KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mavethim.png
268KB, 375x523px
>>52925373
>>52925384
Oof, lots to go through here.

>Ailo
It's "create" now; I think you need to hit Gatherer and do some research on proper wording and syntax, because there are a lot of basic mistakes on all these cards. Why does it become a centaur? Why isn't it still a Planeswalker? I think it loses its counters if it doesn't retain that type, but I could be wrong. Not the best at Planeswalkers. Honestly the ult and the + ability feed into each other a bit too much; generalizing the ult a bit more might be nice. The 0 ability doesn't really make any sense along side the other two. Seems too cheap.
>Varin
The -2 isn't very BR. More of a UB ability. Also seems too cheap.
>Ezekiel
Damage needs a source. Again, too cheap.
>Kaiser
Actually reasonable, and would be okay if fixed. A bit boring though.
>Urgan
Actually kind of interesting but the +1 is way too good. Also too cheap.
>Sheera
2G for Fight on a stick is more than enough to call this overpowered. The other abilities aren't even necessary. I actually like the ult though, oddly, even if it's very simple and kind of underwhelming. The -2 is bad because it is tribally locked.

>Mitchell
Black really doesn't do ramp like this anymore, but it's not as big of a sin as it could be. Don't do that ult emblem. Please don't.
>Urgan 2
Yeesh. I can't even. The idea behind both Urgans is neat-ish, but needs serious work.
>Varin 2
A repeatable tutor is dangerous for a + ability, let alone a +2 ability. The ult is pretty meh.
>Kaiser 2
His ult isn't G or W. His + ability is a bad idea because it completely shuts down your opponent, assuming you meant for it to last until your next turn.
>Ezekiel 2
Why does a more expensive version have a weaker + ability? That +4... what? The ult is whatever, it works I guess.
>Vexx
2U for Scry 7 is pretty fucking crazy man. Also the ult is weak as hell, considering the + ability. Have you ever made cards before?

>>52923744
I wouldn't do this at common, but the idea is nice.
>>
>>52922329
Odd ability here. What's the notion behind it?

>>52920383
Seems as fine as it ever did.

>>52918948
I agree the green one needs to be buffed a touch. It's a nice cycle, but caring about an opponent losing life in colors like white and blue is really off from a mechanical and flavor standpoint.

>>52917917
This isn't too bad, but it'd probably be printed at uncommon honestly.

>>52917605
I find it kinda funny how you complain about rolling tax/control cards and not really knowing what it means but usually make decent ones.

>>52916433
So I have to ask, why did you repost these? I'm not criticizing, I'm curious. Especially since apparently they aren't yours.
>>
>>52925384
ezekiel +4 is too strong in conjuction with his third ability because it doesn't require you to really discard
>>
>>52926247
Hey man thanks for the feedback I'll run down some stuff real quick.

So yes I'm very new to making cards and I hope to keep improving.

The cards I have presented are for a tabletop RPG where you play as your own Planeswalker that sits in the commander zone of a 60 card deck I won't go into too much detail but the Planeswalkers I made were character ideas from other people that I had to balence to fit the deck that they made so that being said I have two questions.

1. I don't mind if the cards are strong for Planeswalkers as long as they are more or less balanced with eachother so witch are the strongest and witch are the weakest

2. Are there any more general mistakes I'm making in every card (btw the first batch was shit I put those to show my old mistakes)

Anyway thank you so much I'm hoping I can get these working soon any help has and will be appreciated.
>>
>>52926599
Oh and about Kaiser2 the games are 3v1 so he can only save him or a teammate from damage so if say he targets urgan then him and one other person can get fucked up
>>
>>52923864
>>52923744
>>52924259
>>52926247
If I put this at uncommon, should it remain the same or can I up the power level by changing the text to:
Counter target permanent spell unless it's controller pays 2
>>
>>52920383
>>52921002
>>52922329
OK. Grifter's only real power is a slight healing factor, so that's his damage prevention ability. All other abilities from being a gifted soldier, ping is just shooting people. Which is actually an ability I really like, I may reuse it later. Vigilance to work with the other abilities. Haste I'm not really sure why I put there, probably just my complexity addiction.
>>
File: Shade.jpg (148KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shade.jpg
148KB, 750x523px
Decided to have some fun with this one. The Shade, once a normal man but given powers over darkness. Pump ability because he's a Shade and to work with the token. The token should be obvious, creating a clone of himself from darkness. Indie and Haste I can change and/or drop no problem, they're not that important.
>>
File: Artificial Councellor.png (970KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Artificial Councellor.png
970KB, 750x1046px
Rolled 6, 3, 6 = 15 (3d10)

>>52914680
Imma do.

Color, cmc, Theme, with exert.
>>
File: Battery Swarm.png (901KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Battery Swarm.png
901KB, 750x1046px
>>
File: faction leaders.jpg (464KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
faction leaders.jpg
464KB, 1875x523px
Faction leaders for my set. They all play into the themes of their respective factions but how do they stand as cards / possible commanders?

>>52929535
Pretty nifty, but two 3/3s for 4 mana, even if it is all colored is a bit much. I would take away something from richard / up his cost / worsen his body.

>>52931983
Should probably be "one or more artifact creatures..." but that may be me.

>>52932475
I can dig it quite a lot.
>>
>>52933688
>Shade
Changed to 2/2, got rid of Haste.

>wbm01
A much worse Ashnod's Altar? Not really seeing it.

>urm01
A colored Mirrorworks? Not entirely sure if the colored costs justify making the card cost cheaper.

>bgm02
Since it also hits tokens, I'd rather it just recur the card. Also, seems too good for the cost. The first thing I can think of to compare it to is Adarkar Valkyrie.

>rwm01
Seems cool, but I'm not sure on the cost. I have a feeling it needs to cost more, but I'm not entirely sure.

>gum01
Seems kinda confused. Why Scry? Why just abilities and instant and sorcery spells?
>>
File: Iron Maiden.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Maiden.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Cybernetic Drake.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cybernetic Drake.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52934051
I felt the same so I changed it to add WB. I figure since it's attached to a giant lifelink flyer the downgrade of usefulness from Ashnod's insane power level is fine.

Fair enough. I can come up with other ideas.

Fair, I could up it to 3BG / require an additional cost/tap to utilize.

Diok is the one I'm most worried about, but I think it's fairly hard to do anything too crazy. Perhaps make the activation cost WR or even W/RW/R instead of W/R.

The scry is there to provide a mana sink and flavor. And abilities, instants, and sorceries mostly due to flavor and to provide just that extra little bit of utility / faction flavor / buildaround. Her main shtick is the mana doubling but at 5 mana and only adding C she felt pretty underwhelimg. I agree she definitely can come across as a bit disparate and confused but I feel there's a solid enough flavor / utility justification for the weirdness. But of course, I'm the maker so I'm much more likely to think that aren't I?
>>
>>52934112
>3 mana for a 3/3 flying haste that scries 1 and gives your other dudes haste.

I feel like this does too much but only by a little. Perhaps drop the flying version's toughness or probably the scry ability.

>>52934126
Solid and nifty.
>>
File: Iron Maiden.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Maiden.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>52934263
Yeah, it makes sense. I debuffed it a little.
>>
File: Timeater.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Timeater.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Insanity Shock.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Insanity Shock.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52934346
>>52934377
Use http://old.photojoiner.net/ instead of making lots of posts

>whenever mirri the cursed
Think that part needs to be replaced with a ~

I think shock is too good. 4 damage to face for 2 mana is rarely allowed. Discarding also enables shenanigans and the fact that it can draw you a card to replace that card says this should definitely cost 2R
>>
>>52934408
Fix'd the Timeeater.

About the insanity shock, it's the pushed common from this set. IMO, burn could get a little buff. Maybe it could cost RR? Or maybe burn you too?
>>
>>52890009
>>52890456
This is correct about what I meant. What I believe is that they just did it is because mill doesn't scale well with needing to do combat, so they made processors so that you could otherwise make use of the exile, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific statement explaining what it was for. I ask because I thought of a similar mechanic, but instead of putting them in the graveyard, you'd turn the exiled card face down (which makes them unaccessible period by any existing card effect). I know we can turn exiled cards face up so I'm pretty sure we can turn them face down.

But why I needed to know is why we had both ingesters and processors was because I was wondering if there was any reason they weren't designed like the Origins Artifacts-matter cards or kaladesh's energy cards-- in other words, why the cards that used the resource also made it (Whirler Rogue generates two thopters which it can use as a resource for its unblockable ability, Servant of the Conduit makes 2 energy to use its mana ability, etc.). Basically, I'm wondering why they didn't have creatures that, for example, etb exiled the top 2 cards of an opponent's library or had the ingest ability (just not keyworded), then had an additional turn 2 cards and opponent owns in exile face down to do a processor effect.
>>
File: UR.jpg (1MB, 1500x2092px) Image search: [Google]
UR.jpg
1MB, 1500x2092px
>>52934408
Also, thanks for the recommendation. I was looking for this for a long time.
>>
>>52934801
I'm curious, have you looked into Surge?
>>
File: Photums Troublemaker.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Photums Troublemaker.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>52934907
I must admit that I completly forgot about surge. But I don't know. I don't really like the way it works since it works as a "cost reduction" most of the time.

Also, I want UR to be focused on both artifact matters and "spellblade".
>>
File: Dusk Surgeon.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dusk Surgeon.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Upgraded Gloom Surgeon.
>>
This is likely a terrible idea, from a design space standpoint.

Simic Mana Mimic
2GU
Creature - Mutant
You may spend green mana as if it were blue to cast instant spells.
You may spend blue mana as if it were green to cast creature spells.
{T}: Add {G} or {U} to your mana pool.
2/3
>>
File: 365.jpg (41KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
365.jpg
41KB, 312x445px
>>52935451
>You may spend [color] mana as though it were [color] mana
>>
File: counters.jpg (110KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
counters.jpg
110KB, 750x523px
>>52928660
>>
>>52936515
Belay is WAY too powerful at that cost.
Also doesn't feel like belaying. Maybe make it be "pay or your card is suspend 1'd"?
>>
File: Dissolution.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dissolution.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>52936536
Suspend isn't a mechanic used in my set.
>>
>>52936515
Oppress seems weak conpared to Mana Leak. Maybe tax 5? Gain life? Cantrip?
>>
>>52936740
A worse Mana Leak is still a damn solid card.
>>
>>52936715
I don't think he meant literally suspend. Suspend 1 would be during that player's next upkeep they can cast it without paying the mana cost. In this case the haste text probably wouldn't be needed since it's not a whole mechanic on a lot of cards where players will be misplaying a lot.
>>
File: Innerlines Druid.png (889KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Innerlines Druid.png
889KB, 750x1046px
Baan-pu~!
>>
>>52938787
Eh, I'd rather it be assimilate creature, and X is its power. And I think you could just make it
>At the beginning of combat on your turn
Wait, why is this card Blue?
>>
So do y'all have a hierarchy around here? Are trips and stuff common? Are there a bunch of general-specific rules and regulars I need to learn before jumping in?
>>
>>52939054
Read the OP. Don't tripcode. Double check your wording and syntax before posting. When you post cards, be sure you include feedback on cards other anons have posted. Be civil and don't get mad if your cards get torn apart. All part of the learning process.
>>
File: Natures Culling.jpg (149KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Natures Culling.jpg
149KB, 750x1046px
>>52938938
You'd rather, but there's no reason for it to be creature, as there is no reason for it to be nonpermanent. I don't mean to sound awful, but the keyword is made as to be flexible; you can slap it on nonpermanets.

And it's blue because it's the UG mechanic, and Green doesn't really do nonpermanent shenanigans.

>>52939054
I'm the only on-and-off tripfaggot left, I think. I started trip'ing cause I have way too many sets; usually people are identified by their set symbol. You're gonna get shit on a lot, but it doesn't really matter. Just keep at it. Everyone gets better =D
>>
>>52936775
>wizards will never ever reprint mana leak
;_;
>>
>>52934556
Since I got no insight, here are some examples of the mechanic. As I said it's basically designed after energy cards, only the resource is the opponent's deck (super flavorful), and it fixes the flavor problem of processors in BFZ by turning the cards face down instead of returning them to the grave as its method of measuring the resource. This is also not only fixes the flavor problem but amps it up to 11-- the card becomes totally dead and "inert" (like the things corrupted by the Eldrazi) when turned face down where nothing (currently) can affect it, and face down cards on the battlefield are colorless. The facedown card in exile has no attributes at all, but we can still tangentially relate that to the colorlessness of morphs and manifests.

The designs are also a lot more functionally efficient in my opinion. This treats the opponent's exile as a resource like energy or counters or artifacts and the cards work in and of themselves. I thought the Ingest + Processor interaction was really clunky, and having the cards that make the use the resource also make it like energy just makes the cards feel better to me.
>>
File: Ulamog's Vanisher.jpg (197KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Ulamog's Vanisher.jpg
197KB, 744x1039px
>>52939441
I forgot image
>>
File: Dark Whisperer.jpg (223KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Whisperer.jpg
223KB, 744x1039px
>>52939505
>>52939441
And another
>>
File: Chronicles of Andaria.png (809KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Chronicles of Andaria.png
809KB, 750x1046px
>>52939696
Can you post the Hi-Res M15 template? <3

Also, I've skimmed what you said before; shouldn't process be turn face down, rather than up? Since face up is the norm of exile.

I like Dark Whisperer. Seems strong. Not much to say desu. :^(
>>
>>52939832
Yeah, process turns a face-up exiled card face-down. I might have mistyped somewhere or maybe I don't have the reminder text quite right. I kind of pieced it together from Clone Shell, scry, and a few other things I think. They're pretty basic cards just to show the mechanic. I was just wondering if there's any reason this doesn't quite work. It seems pretty obvious to me. I thought maybe they hadn't figured it out, but Origins worked its Kaladesh UR artifacts matter themes the same way. I also feel like there has to be some problem with the turn face down thing. I can't believe they contemplated a new zone for processors before thinking of turning them face down which eliminates the flavor weirdness.
>>
>>52939832
>>52939948
Also, I'm using https://mtg.design/ from the OP to make the cards and they have the m15 border

Also thinking about it, maybe Origins was too close to BFZ for them to be able to grasp the technology and use it for Ulamog's brood. I guess things are always more obvious in hindsight. Maro just still seemed to think there was no way to do it right in his BFZ podcast.
>>
>>52939441
>>52939505
>>52939696
Eh... not really feeling it.
>Behold, the boundless power of Ulamog! He turns cards face down!
>>
File: Consumer of Consciousness.jpg (193KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Consumer of Consciousness.jpg
193KB, 744x1039px
>>52940185
It's only the power of his drones. Ulamog represents hunger, and the drones consume things for him. Ulamog just eats the most (top 20 cards of your library). The turn cards face down is mostly just a flavorful way to use the hunger ability as a resource. And to be fair, when a card is turned face down in exile in magic, that means it's absolutely removed from the freaking game forever unless it's being used as a storage for a hidden card (right now) so it does carry some weight mechanically too.
>>
>>52940436
Also, I'm finding it nearly impossible to stick to line limits with the exile text. Maybe that's a reason why they didn't have ingesters and processors be the same card?
>>
File: Ætherflow.jpg (128KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Ætherflow.jpg
128KB, 750x1046px
>>52939948
I misread. There's somewhat of an issue. Nobody can look at face down cards, unless explicited by the card. I'm really against most currency in mtg. Energy counters, and experience counters, and in this case, cards in exile. I don't like the feel it's got.

>>52940436
>>52940473
And usually because that's a card doing too much.
>>
File: Everoo First to Walk.png (951KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Everoo First to Walk.png
951KB, 750x1046px
>>
File: Soulfire Ward.jpg (124KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Soulfire Ward.jpg
124KB, 750x1046px
>>
>>52940686
I'm confused. You don't actually look at the face down cards. This exiles them like, say, Ingest does, and then the cards have the ability to turn them face down afterwards and then you can no longer interact with them. You don't look at them while they're face down.

And I was thinking that but I don't think any of these are doing too much (except for Consumer of Consciousness-- it probably doesn't need to exile one from the top and one from the grave and can just do all from one or the other). They basically all just do two things which is okay at common as far as I know as of Kaladesh since all cards that use energy also have an ability to make them, so there's stuff like the Aether Chaser cycle in AER or the Thriving cycle in KLD.

One thing I feel is that it's maybe too confusing to have them all exile in different ways in different amounts from different places? I originally concept ed as you being able to do that in the same as energy, but energy is simpler to read due to how its shortened.
>>
File: Yon Vaasil General.jpg (121KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Yon Vaasil General.jpg
121KB, 750x1046px
>>52940796
I'm just saying it's weird to have cards you own, yet not be able to see. And I despised energy counters, personally. WotC was smoking some really bad ammonia when they came up with that. I like your idea better, but I dislike it nontheless. It doesn't have a very strong «feel».
>>
>>52941007
I'm not sure what the rules are but it seems like a weird rules lawyering type thing if you really can't look at a card exiled face down if it was previously face up in exile. I mean you'd generally know what it was anyway. I knew you couldn't look at face down exiled cards unless otherwise specified but I don't think any card has turned a face up exiled card face down yet (we have exiled card face down turned face up as Clone Shell so I know it should be possible rules-wise, but still).

I also just remembered they said the processing thing was only your opponent's stuff because they didn't want you to be able to manipulate your own exile with their processing mechanic of returning stuff in exile to the grave. That means this mechanic could actually use your own exile too. I kind of like the idea flavorfully of the black ingesters exiling cards from your graveyard and the blue ingesters from the top of the opponent's library, with black ones being etb triggers since its easier to trigger and harder to set up and the blue ones working exactly as ingest does. But maybe that's not necessary since there is still the issue of it maybe being confusing having all these cards exile cards in different ways. I've just always felt it kinda weird black (and a red card) got Ingest since it isn't very black mechanically.
>>
File: mechanics.jpg (524KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
mechanics.jpg
524KB, 1875x523px
Okay, so, the faction mechanics first draft I'm comfortable enough with to share / I've beaten my brain up enough and now I need feedback.

Ascend is definitely the most clunky and the one I'm almost certain to change but I'm looking for ideas on how to do so. I want to be able to have things come back and give their static / ETB / LTB abilities as enchantments. Pretty much regardless where this one winds up, it'll be used the most sparingly out of all of them, sort of like how embalm is so sparse (due to needing tokens granted but something like embalm may be the solution)

Salvage I've toyed with adding C to your mana pool and other iterations on this idea or saccing to do _ or create a thopter but it all felt to cluttered / derivative of things like gold and clues.

Rehost probably needs a new name but that's a bastard and a half and the least important. It's not always going to require saccing the dude it's on, sometimes it could be an ETB or on an instant or sorcery but mostly it'll involve things dying and various costs and CMCs of rehostable things.

Dominance is an evolution of Conquest from earlier in the thread, I want the flavor to be the spoils of war so I wanted a damage / life gain trigger but then I realized that to best exemplify the idea and allow for more utility (if less fun utilization of triggers) to just go with this.

I fucking love evoke and I want their flavor to be that living things can be turned into elementals and the elementals are short lived like spells and can go back to living things etc. Also allows for graveyard shenanigans by putting dudes in the bin for cheap.

Sorry for rambling, tired.
>>
Would a Dark Souls themed set work and has it ever been tried? I have no experience creating cards but I love MtG and Souls and feel like cards based on some of the iconic creatures, characters, and locations would be awesome. Even artifacts and enchantments would be easy to do with the plethora of items and lands can easily be locations in the game. Dont know if Planeswalkers would work.
>>
>>52940753
Way way too good for the mana cost. 4/4 Hexproof and Anthem effect for tribe is pretty good at that cost already. Making them cost RUG less is the absurd part.
>>
>>52942071
The issue with creating a souls set is that most characters are bosses who fight in what are fundamentally the same ways.

Unless you have lots of ideas for how to translate iconic parts of their repertoire into card ablity form I think it's just a pipe dream. Like, I created a card based on what a dark souls player character does where it has persist and when it kills stuff it gets + counters.

I mean, beyond making sorcerers draw cards for flavor reasons, all your magic users are just throwing various forms of damage spells and all your melee characters are just swinging weapons in differing patterns.

Sorry to be so negative because I also would like it to work out but the parts of dark souls that are iconic enough to make into cards aren't iconic in ways that allow them to be made into cards. It's not like the CO guy who turns comic characters into cards you know?
>>
Dont have a computer atm so ill just try with text only

Bell Gargoyle
Mana Cost: 5
Artifact Creature - Gargoyle
Flying

When Bell Gargoyle dies, create a 3/3 colorless Gargoyle artifact creature token with flying.

3/3
>>
>>52942071
>>52942225
This is nifty to be sure.

however, I strongly recommend just making cards in general / based on your theme and not worrying about making a set. Just throw out ideas and be ready for criticism (if anyone in the thread is actually giving it.)
>>
>>52942195
This is true and I was worried about this when thinking of the idea. I dont think theres enough for a set but ill still try to see if i can translate some iconic pieces from the games into cards like I just tried with the bell gargoyles
>>
>>52941773
RW caring about your life total is really strange.
>>
>>52942128
Eh... really? I mean reducing by 3 colors is pretty good game even with no other text but realistically this is going to lower by maybe 2 mana, 1 mana most often for most creatures. It's most powerful with other Temur creatures but there arent that many and even fewer good enough to play, right? This really doesn't seem "way, way" too good. Is this really better than, say, Anafenza in constructed?
>>
>>52942375
It cares about you having the highest life total. It guess it looks weird, but it's A) definitely white and B) facilitated in red by being the most aggressive color. The two colors just get to the goal in different ways
>>
>>52942375
The idea is that it's either gaining life to get it above theirs or using burn and combat to take theirs below yours. I know that's probably a bit more WB but I think WR slots in really well, especially considering that burn spells can allow for some cheeky trigger activations.
>>
Another interesting one to try, a quick draft for this

Ashen One
Mana Cost: 2WWWRRR
Creature - Human Knight

First Strike, Vigilance

Ashen One enters the battlefield with 3 Spark counters, when Ashen one dies if it still had a Spark counter on it, return it to the battlefield under its owners control and remove a Spark counter from it.
Ashen One gets +1/+1 for each spark counter on it.

2/2
>>
>>52942467
Fuck i think i messed this up. Is there any wording i can use to make sure he keeps getting one less spark counter every time he comes back?
>>
>>52942425
>>52942429
Yeah sure it's white, I just don't think it's red. But that's just like, my opinion man. WotC is on record stating that the color pairs have their own identities that aren't necessarily comprised of their constituent colors, so there ain't much stopping you unless a bunch of anons come out of the woodwork to protest.
>>
The Abyss

Legendary Land

T; Add BBB to your mana pool, creatures you control get -5/-5 until end of turn and you lose 5 life.
>>
>When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead."
Whats the mechanical purpose of this text? I have an idea for a Theros enchantment creature mechanic ("When this creature dies, you may return it to the battlefield as an Aura with enchant creature." roughly) and I'm looking at Animate Dead to try and figure out how to word it.
>>
>>52942625
>When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield,
This is specifically the part I'm wondering about. It probably wasn't clear
>>
>>52942625
>>52942662
Why couldn't you just word it similar to Bestow?
>>
>>52942766
Not being cast as a spell.
>>
>>52942826
This just made me remember it won't work with heroic and I'm not sure if I'm okay with that. To make it work with heroic it'd have to be a lot wordier I think. But it doesn't feel right if it isn't backwards compatible. I hate heroic.
>>
>>52942826
>>52943007
Why can't you just make it like Flashback and Bestow had a baby then? That way you cast it to trigger Heroic and get basically what you wanted.
>>
>>52943253
Thats a lot less clunky than what i was envisioning (madness without paying a mana cost basically which is already a well known problem mechanic for wizards), but I really wanted something gameplay wise closer to a fixed haunt than a flashback mechanic. I think I might just say fuck heroic though auraback is also a good mechanic idea.
>>
>>52943419
Well, I look forward to seeing what you can come up with. It might be that you figure a way to make it work. I was going to suggest that you do it like Madness where instead of dying it exiles then returns to the battlefield as an Aura, but you don't seem to want to do that if you agree with WotC on Madness being problematic.

>>52942619
Pretty sure there are plenty of combo decks that could care less about creatures and even less about 5 life.

>>52942467
>>52942527
Not really; things forget the state they were in when they go from one zone to another, then back again. You can do it kinda like Undying maybe:
>"~ enters the battlefield with three spark counters on it if you cast it from your hand.

When ~ dies, if it had one or more spark counters on it, return it to the battlefield with one less spark counter on it."

This might work.

>>52942275
>Just throw out ideas and be ready for criticism (if anyone in the thread is actually giving it.)
Yeah some folks gotta step up their games on this, in my opinion.

>>52941773
I already commented on RW, but I can do the rest. Not sure why I didn't, sorry about that.
>WB
I've seen this done before. It's a neat idea, but more concerning is the creature type line. Are these the types that WB will have? That's pretty damn eclectic. Imp is the one that kinda sticks out the most considering everything else seems to have a religious bent. I don't think it's clunky at all myself, but it does have the potential to be confusing with other counter types, and sort of limits you from using +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters because of it.
>UR
Create the token when? ETB? Is it an action word like Investigate? Could be interesting but feels like it kinda shoehorns UR into a narrower archetype than the other mechanics you have.
>BG
It's "from your graveyard to the battlefield". I'm still not sure about it, but I suppose if you do a good job of keeping it in check it might be alright.

(cont)
>>
I decided to play with fire. Is there a better way to word the last clause on Bake or Boil? I want it to always skip at least a turn.

Coal Augury 1R
Instant
Exile the top seven cards of your library, then flip a coin. If you win the flip, you may play two cards exiled this way until end of turn. If you lose the flip, put any number of cards exiled this way on top of your library in

any order.

Pan or Fire 2RR
Sorcery
Exile the top five cards of your library. An opponent separates them into two piles. You may play cards from the pile of your choice until end of turn. An opponent puts the other pile on top of your library in any order.

Bake or Boil 4UR
Sorcery
Exile the top five cards of your library. An opponent separates them into two piles. You may play cards from the pile of your choice until end of turn. At the beginning of your end step after next, put the other pile into your hand.

And the weenie version of above

Weather Eye 2(r/u)
Instant
Exile the top three cards of your library. If R was used to cast ~, until end of turn you may play a card exiled this way. If U was used to cast ~, you may put an exiled card into your hand at the beginning of your next end step.

And a silly idea I just had typing that out.

Aether Meander (2/u)W
Instant
Exile target creature. It's controller gains 3 life. If U was used to cast ~, return that creature to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
>>
1u permanent noncreature spells cost 1 less to play is probably not acceptable theae days, right?
>>
Knight Lautrec
Mana Cost: 3WB
First Strike
When Knight Lautrec enters the battlefield destroy target creature you control, you gain life equal to its power.

5/4
>>
File: Uthmir Raider.png (267KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Uthmir Raider.png
267KB, 375x523px
>>52944116
(cont)

>BG
I'd advocate making it a non-tribally locked Soulshift, but I think someone else suggested that already and you didn't want that, so I guess we'll see how it goes.
>GU
The only color that doesn't get a custom one? Truly an injustice. Evoke is cool but I feel like another ability word like Dominance might be nice. Something minor?

>>52940436
>>52939696
>>52939505
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I think it's innovative, but on the other, I am not that big a fan of alternate currencies/resources, so my dislike of Energy and Experience kinda mars it.

So I dreamt this up. I'm gonna toss it out into the wild and see what everyone thinks. Flavor is supposed to be that when you seize a permanent, it turns into a 2/2 (you made the denizens/guardians/whatever that live or pray or whatever there mad and they mobilize) and the opponent gets to choose if they want it back the way it was, and have to pay you a ransom (a card) or they want the body to exact revenge on you (keep the 2/2). I figure it's interactive enough to pass muster, but we'll see I guess. I have no idea what colors it belongs in, but red seemed obvious if it screws with artifacts and lands, and maybe blue if it hits creatures or artifacts; hell, I might even be able to justify it in all five colors depending on what permanent types you let it hit. I'm sure there's something I'm overlooking; it's pretty late.
>>
>>52944174
Your spells i mean, not all players. Itd probably be printable if it were
>>
Siegward of Catarina
Mana Cost: 2WWW
Legendary Creature- Human Knight

Vigilance, Double Strike
Siegward of Catarina enters the battlefield with three Problem counters on it. Siegward of Catarina cannot attack or block as long as it has a Problem counter on it.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies remove a Problem counter from Siegward of Catarina.

5/5
>>
>>52944184
Sacrifice, not destroy, make it an additional cost, and kind of boring for a legend.
>>52944234
Also a little boring, and I'd mess with the numbers a bit. A 5/5 Double Striker for 5 is weird no matter the drawback.
>>
Black Dragon Kalameet
Mana Cost: 4BBRR
Legendary Creature - Dragon

Flying, Haste
If a source would deal damage to a player or a creature, that source deals double that damage to that player or creature instead

6/5
>>
>>52944269
So as an additional cost to cast him sac a creature? And make Siegward a 3/4 maybe?
>>
File: Abjorn's Guardians.png (344KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Abjorn's Guardians.png
344KB, 375x523px
>>
>>52942662
It's there to make sure the card is still on the battlefield as the ability resolves. Otherwise you could bounce it and recur a creature with no downside. This check is used on a few other cards as well.
>>
File: Rootborn Guardian.jpg (222KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Rootborn Guardian.jpg
222KB, 744x1039px
>>
File: The Miracle Machine4.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Miracle Machine4.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>52947300
Nice design, though I'm really not a fan of it having Fateful Hour. IIRC, that was the least popular mechanic in Innistrad according to Maro.
>>
>>52885530
>MERCY
>>
File: CHEEKY EXAMPLES.jpg (446KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
CHEEKY EXAMPLES.jpg
446KB, 1875x523px
>>52944116
>WB
Yeah, it's the kind of creatures they'll have. Same goes for all the other cards, and they're all have a smattering of humans / other color appropriate types among them as well

Fair, though I feel it only somewhat limits that counter design space since I think wotc mostly does that for the sake of newbies. In a theoretical world where this set got made you could include token sheets like the amonkhet ones that have a "ascendancy counter" punch out. But yeah, should probably limit their usage regardless since that may be trying to keep too many balls in the air through the set to also have a + counter sub theme.

Also, I may accidentally be a genius. This planeswalker removal / utility / debuff spell I made also allows you to turn your ascended dudes back into regular dudes. "Rot's claim. B. instant. Remove all counters from target permanent. You gain life equal to the number of counters removed this way."

>UR
Yeah, probably should have specificed somewhere that it works like investigate. And yeah, I can definitely see it being more narrow than the others, however, I was planning on the UR faction caring about just having artifacts and lots of them. Think ghirapur aether grid style cards. So hopefully, the mechanic feeding into that theme will allow the faction to work out.

>BG
I feel like it's distinct enough from soulshift now where it's technically just "rez a dude" as a keyword. However, yeah, the powerlevel is definitely playing with fire/combos and I may wind up just forcing myself to make it return to hand instead. Though I have things like wallower here, or a spell along the lines of "Rehost 1 Rehost 2 Rehost 3" To be the BG version of firemind's insight to be cheeky with how it works. I think I have enough ideas and understanding of its powerlevel to make it work. Though I'm definitely going to be the most critical of these cards and if I just can't get it to work then it'll go to return to hand. Be sure to kick my ass about rehost cards.
>>
>>52938787
it's not a bad mechanic, but it might have memory tracking issues
>>
>>52944217
>GU
I kind of like seeing old mechanics making a return and being played around with under new circumstances. If it makes you feel better, they're also heavily elemental/mutant tribal based to the point where evoke is probably like 40% of their identity opposed to the rest being tribe. Though I may wind up regretting evoke. It just fits so perfectly with what I envisioned for them. Or, I may indeed wind up making another keyword for them. Perhaps the opposite of evoke, where evoke turns your dudes into instants/sorceries, perhaps a keyword that allows instants and sorceries to make dudes if you pay what amounts to a kicker. sort of like awaken. But then, having that split feels kind of weird from a design elegance perspective but super cool from a mechanics / flavor perspective.

Oh by the way, I didn't say it in >>52947753 but I included imps because in my mind, they're the bottom tier of demons like how spirits could be interpreted as the bottom tier of angels (even though that's not quite how angels and demons typically work in mtg. But hey, we have a dude angel on a plane made by nicol bolas and I don't even wanna think about innistrad. So I think a bit of playing around with them conceptually is okay.)

Thanks a ton for the feedback, I may have sounded dismissive of your concerns and I'm sorry if I did, I'm just fleshing out where I'm coming from for the ideas. Hopefully as I keep making cards I'll be able to alleviate any worries some worries
>>
>>52947873
>So I think a bit of playing around with them conceptually is okay.)
Uh, yeah. Half the point of planes is that not everything is the same. Make Imps be whatever you want them to be.
>>
File: Ma-Oumaten Worldmaw.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ma-Oumaten Worldmaw.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Is my obligatory giant wurm mythic too giant?
>>
>>52948940
I think it's fine. You can get away with damn near anything for that much mana. And sure, you might point to how it can be abused with re-animator or cheating it into play but honestly, that's on those mechanics being broken.

But, maybe include the shuffle into library if it goes into your grave clause if you want to be careful.

to save space I'd probably just give it menace.
>>
File: Seigmeyer of Catarina.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Seigmeyer of Catarina.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>52944234
I dabbled in souls cards a while back, just for fun.
>>
File: Sandworm.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sandworm.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>52948940
A 12/12 that keeps growing? Eh, maybe. Honestly, I'm just not sure how the ability relates to flavor. Anyway, here's a Wurm I did quite a while ago.
>>
>>52949079
sneaking it in early would likely only give you a 6/6 or lower unblockable. pretty nice, but there are plenty of other cards for the same cmc that just win you the game.

>giving a hard monogreen menace
trample
>>
>>52949079
The straight-to-the-battlefield reanimation in my block pretty much all has a nonlegendary clause, because quite a few of my legends are huge and ridiculous.
>>52949147
The flavor I was going for was really just "absolutely giant thing, biggest thing on the battlefield." Since my block cares about big mana costs, I figured this was a fun way to reach that goal.
>Sandworm
Not sure why you get a land out of it flavorwise, but it definitely fits the giant wurm bill. Mechanically it's fine; I like it. The land bit might not be super relevant that late into the game, though.
>>52926295
>Odd ability here. What's the notion behind it?
Do you mean mechanically or in relation to the flavor behind the set?
>>52949261
I considered trample, but I was worried that might be a bit much with as big as it can get.
>>
>>52949261
It doesn't specify other permanents. Though that is something to consider.

Also, there are a handful of mono green dudes with menace.

what >>52949281 said. With something that huge, trample might as well say unblockable for all the difference it makes.
>>
>>52949125
This is amazing
>>
>>52949964
Thanks, glad you like it. Any specific character you'd like to see?
>>
>>52947300
The first fateful hour design I ever liked and that includes WotC's designs. Well done.
>>
>>52950658
Ill look at any others youve made already
Also characters that would be cool to see
Eygon of Carim, Lautrec, Darkeater Midir, Yuria of Londor and maybe even Vicar Amelia and Ludwig from Bloodborne
>>
>>52950658
Also some items like the Flask , Green Blossoms, Bug Pellets and so on
>>
File: Lautrec Knight of Fina.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lautrec Knight of Fina.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>52951193
Well, Lautrec I have. The rest of those are DaS3 or Bloodborne characters, and I made these cards before either of those games were made.
>>
I've been playing around with a design for a GB pushed elf Nissa after reading about how she studies black mana in Lorwyn, how does this sound?
Nissa, Darkwood Patriarch. 1GB
Planeswalker-Nissa
+1: Create a 1/1 Green Black Elf creature token.
-2: Target opponent loses X life where X is the number of elves you control.
-6: Search your library for up to 4 Elf cards and put them onto the battlefield.
3 Loyalty

Based it kinda off of Tezz AoB, designed to be a pushed elf planeswalker.
>>
>>52951746
Another great design
Maybe even some of the normal enemies like Silver Knights and Lothric Knights? If you are making new ones that is? Also lands based off some of the games coolest areas would be sweet
>>
File: BW faction stuff.jpg (631KB, 1125x1569px) Image search: [Google]
BW faction stuff.jpg
631KB, 1125x1569px
I am now officially fucking in love with the design space of this faction.
>>
>>52952290
Obviously the imp is supposed to have ascend <:3
>>
>>52949281
>Not sure why you get a land out of it flavorwise
His passing cleanses the world.
>>
>>52952290
Seems parasitic
>>
>>52955215
How is it parasitic? It's just turning things into enchantments and enabling enchantment synergies by denoting it with a counter to prevent memory issues. And using that counter is based on how things like flood counters turn lands into islands or divinity counters make things indestructible.
>>
>>52955279
Because you have cards that specifically reference ascension counters, and therefore only work to their full potential within your set's environment. Also, hexproof ain't white.
>>
>>52955405
I don't want to come off as an asshole but I strongly disagree. Sure it references the counter itself, but the actual results are counter synergies such as removing, moving, or adding apply, enchantment synergies apply, creature death synergies apply, and the static/activated effects of the creatures/enchantments themselves are universally applicable.

Having a specific named aspect doesn't inherently make it parasitic. Parasitic is something like "splice onto arcane" where you need something with the named aspect and another card to synergize with it. Energy is also a slightly parasitic mechanic, and even energy is much less parasitic than arcane because everything that relates to energy produces it itself AND energy allows for counters synergies. Now if I'd made a card that says "Remove an ascension counter" or "target creature with ascend _" THAT would be a parasitic incarnation. The closest thing to that is Glyph Ascension which puts a counter on a dude. However, this card could easily read "target creature loses all card types and becomes an enchantment" Thus making Glyph Ascension essentially a removal / protection spell. However, this kind of transform effect usually necessitates being placed on an aura to prevent memory issues. By making it a counter that has an understandable and spelled out effect, it removes the necessity of being an aura.

also, "protection from _" which was what white used to do has been outmoded recently and more or less replaced with indestructible/hexproof.
>>
>>52955405
I'd say it's not too terribly parasitic save for that one card, as most of the other ones are self-contained. That said, I'm not a big fan of non +1/+1 counter mechanics as a focal point.
>>
>>52955617
On the hexproof point, white basically only has access to hexproofing the player and not anything else. And even in the days of shroud, it's limited to permanents you control since hexproof can be used offensively unless otherwise stated.
>>
>>52952290
Also, maybe someone can elaborate if ascend NEEDS to be worded as "When this creature dies, if it didn’t have an ascension counter on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner’s control with an ascension counter on it. Permanents with ascension counters on them are enchantments and no other card types"

Or, if, because it's not a creature while it has the counter, and therefore the "when this creature dies" clause would automatically denote that it doesn't have the counter.

So because while on the field it has the counter and while in the grave it doesn't, basically the question is, because "dies" is "goes from the battlefield to the graveyard" does the card count as a creature or enchantment during its "dies" event while it has the counter on it?

I really hate how ludicrously verbose the magic programing language has to be sometimes to explain intuitive concepts. Looking at you animate dead
>>
>>52949281
>Do you mean mechanically or in relation to the flavor behind the set?
Yes.
>>52947753
>>52947873
And thank you for your feedback too. Good luck with your set.
>>
>>52955989
or if there's some way of saying "If this creature would die, instead, if it doesn't have..." I think that would work due to whatever killed it in the first place has to have resolved and once it has resolved it triggers the placing of a counter. So even in the case of static effects killing the creature it's now an enchantment and avoids the second check of the static effect. Then, for anything that happens after the placement, because it has the counter, it can die as usual. I can't envision an effect that would cause a game halting loop with that outside of some insane multi card layered static effect fuckery.

So would "If this creature would die, instead, if it doesn't have an ascension counter on it, put an ascension counter on it. Permanents with ascension counters are enchantments and no other card types."

On that note, should that last sentence be "... lose all card types and become enchantments." for some reason or is my current version correct?
>>
>>52955617
>also, "protection from _" which was what white used to do has been outmoded recently and more or less replaced with indestructible/hexproof.
Nah dude. White doesn't do hexproof for anything beyond players. Indestructible, yes. Hexproof, no.
>>
>>52956526
>>52955689
Could have sworn there was some white hexproof in SOI. Guess I'm dumb
>>
File: Stralog, Sylvan General.jpg (249KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Stralog, Sylvan General.jpg
249KB, 744x1039px
>>
>>52956910
There was an Angel from the original Inistrad block that gave itself hexoroof and indestructible if you control a Human. It's also mythic.
>>
>>52957204
>hexoroof
Damn cellphone keyboard.
>>
>>52957204
That isn't justification for granting hexproof to other permanents in white at common.
>>
>>52957924
I don't think he was advocating hexproof in white at all. Just that the card he was thinking about existed as a mythic angel (which are the most likely things to bend the color wheel).
>>
File: Hexproof and Shroud in White.jpg (173KB, 936x445px) Image search: [Google]
Hexproof and Shroud in White.jpg
173KB, 936x445px
>>52957924
What >>52958109 said. I was just trying to inform the anon about the card I thought he was talking about. When I said "It's also mythic." it was supposed to come across as "But it's a mythic, and those bend the color pie sometimes."

Anyway, on the subjects of Hexproof/Shroud in White, White actually does give those keywords to other permanents, though it's pretty rare. I think it's trying to get across White's protectiveness. White also did something similar with Regen back when that was a thing. But yeah, that anon's implementation of it I don't agree with.
>>
I remember an article saying they originally tried the BFM mechanic/a meld variant for New Phyrexia ehere parts were interchangable but they couldnt crack it. I think I thought of a way to do it (with DFC), but I thought theres actually no way to do the art that looks good, is there? I think it can mechanically work but the art on the card really wouldnt.
>>
>>52958627
White is not giving it to other permanents, it's giving it to artifacts and enchantments. That is a very important distinction.
>>
>>52959545
Artifacts and enchantments are permanents.
>>
>>52959597
Green can destroy artifacts and enchantments, therefore it can destroy any permanent. There's even precedence!
>>
>>52959681
I can't believe you're being this pedantic. I said "other permanents" as shorthand. I didn't literally mean "to all permanents of all types."
>>
>>52959495
Just show us your concept already.
>>
>>52959779
Only have the vey basic idea and no actual cards yet. Basically theres a common creature with the meld text, then a vertical cycle of equipment with a subtype that have different text on the backside for each. Thats the long and short of it. The flavor is that its an advanced form of living weapons, with the creature being a germ on the top of the melded card, and the equipment being different add ons and theyre the bottom half which contains the text.

In the hypothetical set there'd probably be cards featuring things made into phyrexians to justify having DFCs to do meld.
>>
>>52959845
Doesn't using equipment kinda defeat the purpose of it though? I mean, why not just equip the equipment?
>>
>>52959899
Eh, I dont think so. Presumably the melded creature would be better so. You would have to ewuip as part of the way to meld thpugh I dont know if youd need to do anything else.
Either way its still not perfect flavorwise to me. The real flavor I wanted was still grotesque equipment that graft on to a creature, but what I really want is for you to be able to pair then wih a number of other creatures instead of one specific one. Basically theyd be hapless Mirrans or whatever undergoing compleation and having the equipment grafted to them. But i dont think there is an elegant way to do that sinse the meld cards need to reference eachother. I thik you could do "melds with Equipment New Subtype" instead of "Melds with 'Card Name'" and even that isnt solid since we only have three examples.
>>
>>52960002
Also like I said I think its actually possible anyway even with the idea I settled on since itd be impossible to do the art of the back side in a way that makes sense.
>>
>>52960027
>possible
Impossible
>>
>>52960002
>I thik you could do "melds with Equipment New Subtype"
Actually, I forgot I solved this problem by having the creature have he meld text since thered be only one creature for all the equipment which would all just reference that one.
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 107

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.