[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 426
Thread images: 35

File: Lidda1.jpg (57KB, 494x750px) Image search: [Google]
Lidda1.jpg
57KB, 494x750px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Starter-Spells.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: A Trio of Subclasses
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

> /5eg/ Mega Trove
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52620083

What are some things you miss from previous editions? Picrelated.
>>
>>52624055
Magus.
>>
>>52624055
>Lidda rolls to seduce.
>The statue is rock hard.
>>
>>52624076
>Magus.
> from previous editions

Which edition of D&D is the Magus from? What's it like?
>>
>>52623992
Berserker was a member of the city watch who was framed and had to leave the city. His wife divorced him and took the kids and he has to pay money. He could just ignore it and go off but he wants to provide enough money for his kids to have a good life and fighting's all he's really been trained to do.

Favored Soul was raised from young by the church but never really got along with their teachings. Eventually they had enough and sent him on a pilgrimage he has no say on and he can't return until they say so. He decided he might as well use his magic to try and get rich. Also most likely some character development where he really becomes religeous.

Bow Kensai was raised in the woods as the youngest child with an Elven Father and Human Mother. His step siblings always treated him like shit and eventually found a hermit who offered to teach him. The last of the kids to leave home, he's seeking to perfect his mind and body to be the best archer he can be.

Rough drafts here.
>>
Gonna repeat this question. I'm a level 3 dwarf forge cleric about to hit level 4. Here are my stats.

Strength 19 (due to a magic item)
Dexterity 10
Constitution 13
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 16
Charisma 12

Should I take +2 to wisdom on next level, or Resilient (Constitution)?
>>
I've been wandering what is up with the 5e elves meme, are 5e elves trannies or something
>>
>>52624104
It's from Pathfinder, so technically not, and technically 3.75.

It's a gish kind of class, but it was damn near unique in the way it was. They were d8s, they eventually got medium and even heavy armor on their own, they could use all martial weapons, they used spellbooks like Wizards, they had their own list - which had Cantrips-6th Level Spells, and I can't remember anything else that was like it.

Then they had features that was all around being a gish - like the very first one, that let them essentially dual wield, but they were wielding a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other.

This perfect blend of a martial and a caster - not a fighter who can cast, not a wizard who can slash. Playing them like either got you nowhere.

They remain one of my few loves from Pathfinder.
>>
File: Some_day....jpg (618KB, 1324x1654px) Image search: [Google]
Some_day....jpg
618KB, 1324x1654px
>>52624055
Spelljammer and Greyhawk...
>>
>>52624104
>>52624141

Magi also had Arcane Pools and Magus Arcana. Arcane Pools are like 5e's Sorcery Points, while Magus Arcana are like 5e's Warlock Invocations.
>>
>>52624055
Is it just me, or are her arms wildly different lengths?
>>
Are there any other fun ways to be a healer without just rolling the same life cleric over and over again?

8 person party, all we have is a tranquility monk.
>>
>>52624162
I understand missing Spelljammer, but missing Greyhawk is absurd to me.

Surely all the material you need to run Greyhawk is already present in 5e?
>>
Can anyone think of any cool components I would need to collect across multiple quests to cast a ritual spell to teleport me to The Void™?

So far I have 3x dragon scales, I need 6 more.
>>
>>52624199
Bards can make alright healers.
>>
>>52624199
>8 person party
Have multiple paladins, or maybe a paladin and a bard or something. Fast Hands Thief Rogue?
Or just buy potions.
>>
>>52624214
Sure thing. One question though.

THE FUCK IS A VOID?

No seriously, is it just the Elemental Plane of Nothingness, or something different?
>>
>>52624214
Ingredients:
1 Bag (Holding)
1 Hole, Portable

Method:
Step 1: Combine the Bag with the Hole.
>>
>>52624141
>It's from Pathfinder
I know. I was being a shit. The sincerity is refreshing though.
>>
>>52624199
>8 person party, all we have is a tranquility monk.
Shit, nigger, what are you doing
>>
>>52624223
I have no idea what the rest of the party comp is, but they've all already made characters, and based on the fact that we've had two deaths in one session, I'm assuming they have not followed your suggestions.
>>
>>52624239
Homebrew campaign dude. My DM didn't want an astral or demonic plane, so we have The Void between worlds. It's kind of cool actually, it's like a big black ocean with a black sky, but you can walk on the water like that bit in Bloodborne.

Anyway, I'm a Warlock and my patron is from there, and the whole reason I'm adventuring with the party is because they accidently teleported me out, and I need to go back.
>>
>>52624262
>two deaths
Perfect, have them roll a Bard and a Paladin.
>>
>>52624199
Shepard Druid. Use the Wolf totem spirit and Conjure animals to make your side an unkillable army.
>>
>>52624259
No goddamned idea, missed the first session.
>>
>>52624091
>>52624105
>Divorced
>Wife is now paid money
Sorry, are you playing Simcity 2020 or are you playing D&D?
Even then, it seems odd that they would be a barbarian rather than something like a fighter or ranger, but at least it explains why they'd do something as suicidal as adventuring, since they have a wife to look after the kids and they might not care about dying now. So I guess it works if he wants to send money to his wife, but I'm pretty sure unless your DM has some sort of utopian medieval D&D setting that he wouldn't be forced to pay money. Or, I don't know, I could be wrong on that.

>Pilgrimmage
Well, I suppose that works. Honestly doesn't sound too innovative, but if you try to be too innovative you can come off as edgy, so you can't win either way and have to strike a middleground.
Could work pretty nicely if you portray them as something of a spoiled guy who starts to realise how cruel the world can be and turns to religion for that reason, though you should make sure he has a good reason to be in the party.

Kensai archer still feels really 'Okay, so you're.. Just a ranger, then, with the monk class? So compared to a proper ranger you're better at stunning people by punching them and worse at archery?'.. Which might actually be okay because they point is they might not be supposed to be 'the best archer ever'.

Honestly I think the aasimar could work best flavour-wise and mechanics-wise (Mechanically as in, 'a new class/class archetype idea').
>>
>>52624257
I have so many regrets. I was getting into Pathfinder as my first ever TTRPG, and I spent like a year trying to decipher it on my own, but 5e came out later that year just as I started to see through the bullshit.

I've been trying to find some way to put them in 5e for the past several days due to some kind of deep inner sperg. Arcane Half Caster is probably the most balanced way, because a lot of that shit would not translate well.
>>
>>52624261
>Bonus action pummel that works with it
Pummel is dogshite, to be fair. But at least it works at range, right? .. It's still dogshite.
>Mobility
Mobility's pretty damn nice on any monk.
>Flurry of blows stun someone for advantage ons harpshooter attacks
You must make flurry of blows AFTER the attack action.
>Ki for +3 weapon
That's honestly pretty boring.

Disclaimer: I think kensai is a stupid archetype.
>>
>>52624273
Huh. Not what I was expecting. Very original.

Anyway, nothing particularly coming to mind. Is your patron particularly evil? Is the plane?
>>
>>52624315
It's like you don't want to be weapon autist.
>>
>>52624055
>Everything is a dildo if you are brave enough
>>
>>52624277
I'll see if they do, only reason I was asking about not playing clerics is because I've played them for the past few campaigns. Hell, one of them might even play a life cleric and spare me the trouble.
>>
>>52624315
Stun works until the end of your next turn and could be used on the pre-flurry attack anyway
>>
>>52624315
Pummel is such garbage that rolling it all feels more like a waste of time than anything.
>>
>>52624351
I'd say it's definitely worth asking, 8 players is rough with any composition but no healing at all sounds... not fun.
>>
File: D&DCap.png (271KB, 822x302px) Image search: [Google]
D&DCap.png
271KB, 822x302px
>see your dead mom
>be frightened

What? Are all adventurers victims of child abuse or something?

I guess that would explain some things.
>>
>>52624287
Forced isn't what I'm going for. He wants to pay for his kids becaue he loves them. Also I had the idea that maybe he really did commit the crime in a Rage but lies and says he's framed. Goes full angry Barbarian and needs an outlet for that.

The idea of the Favored Soul bring a spoiled brat is actually a good one. Could try to work it in that he knows another PC and it's the only person he trusts outside of his sheltered life.

Also if >>52624315 is you we're clearly not going to agree on Kensai. One thing of note is you're still proficient when making a melee attack with a bow, I can use Dexterity on any attack with a Kensai Weapon and it works with Sharpshooter. So I can melee bash people with the bow like a champ.

Thanks for actually helping me think out the characters though.
>>
File: 1491105570705.png (72KB, 449x311px) Image search: [Google]
1491105570705.png
72KB, 449x311px
By Any Means Necessary. My qualms can’t get in the way of exterminating my foes.

Does that truly mean ANY means? Can you really commit evil acts in the name of the greater good and remain on the good spectrum?

Is there such a thing as a lawful good vengeance paladin or is that paladin just one that hasnt had to make the hard choices yet?
>>
>>52624388
Are you implying that seeing someone who either raised you, loved you or fucked you excepting the detail that they are a distinctly recognizable rotting corpse ISN'T terrifying?
>>
>>52624388
frightened doesn't mean you run away, it means you're startled for a few seconds and get an action penalty
>>
>>52624388
Its a cool effect but players would never roleplay it without being forced.
>>
>>52624323
>nothing particularly coming to mind. Is your patron particularly evil? Is the plane?
well, I don't really need them to be intrinsically linked to the void, think of it like chemistry (after all, magic is just science we don't understand), I just need a combination of items that, when magic'd up together in a ritual circle, teleport you there.

My patron is pretty evil, but the void isn't. It's kind of like an interdimensional space (I co-wrote it, the guy hadn't fleshed it out yet so when I said I wanted a demonic warlock he let me contribute to it significantly), it's a place out of time, an in-between space where dead cities float and forgotten gods dwell. We actually made it a consistent place across all our homebrew settings (we have 2, after 5 years of play, and we'll probably have more), so you can travel to other 'dimensions' [settings] from there. For example, my patron has made his home in the white stone city of Yukio, which is a city from my setting - the void can have fragments of any space and time in it.
>>
>>52624352
True. If someone else doesn't finish it off for you before then.

I guess it works, but I don't really see why you would do that instead of a melee weapon when you already have mobile and are running up to punch them.

Rather, they could strike a balance between melee weapon and bow, switching between the two weapons, because that's something that's really not done enough.
Oh, but then I remember sharpshooter and as below, improvized attack abuse.

>>52624399
I don't think a DM will allow sharpshooter melee for the same reason you won't allow someone with a crossbow to do GWM+SS melee. It's... Yeah.
Though in a lighthearted game I'd definitely allow crossbow to do GWM+SS. It's not overpowered.

The deal with the barbarian is it really doesn't strike me as a 'This guy is angry sometimes' class. I've seen people play it before, but it's.. Underwhelming. It really devalues the meaning of the rage ability, I feel, it's not something any old random angry person uses without knowing. Especially on a berserker of all things. It feels like they should at least have a background in ring fighting or slave tournament combat or something that really impacted them for it to be one of their key abilities.

FS having a PC they know could work pretty well for that, maybe a traveller friend who frequently stops by the church.

>>52624367
At least it's not as garbage as disabling your own monk features, though.
>>
File: wierd science.jpg (149KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
wierd science.jpg
149KB, 1200x750px
>>52624214

Central Eye of a beholder to act as a grounding agent for the spell

Fairy dust to act as a magical conductor

Unicorn horn to represent good

Vampire ashes to represent evil

an intact pentadrone to represent order

a grey slaads tongue to represent chaos

unicorn horn is reduced to powder and mixed with.

beholder eye is mixed with bone marrow, salt and cold iron ball bearings to form a thick paste and used to paint the outside walls floor and ceiling of the room where the portal will be made.

Fairy dust mixed with the blood of the summoner and used to create the circle.

each of the four offerings placed an equal distance from each other and perfectly in line with each other.

spell cast under a new moon on the winter solstice
>>
>>52624422
If your foes are abominations like beholders or definite evils such as demons and the like, then it can be lawful, maybe neutral.
If your foes are, say, bandits, then it'd likely be chaotic.

Also inb4 objective morality
>>
>>52624498

ignore that seventh line about the horn that doesn't go anywhere, I changed my mind half way through
>>
>>52624422
>Can you really commit evil acts in the name of the greater good and remain on the good spectrum?
What is this greater good you're talking about? It means you will use any means to take down your sworn enemy. That's strictly a personal issue.
>>
>>52624422
Depends on the values of society
>>
Most players at a table have the PHB, but generally don't bring the DMG or MM with them.

Is the SCAG allowed to be brought to the table, especially if running one of the official campaigns, set in Forgotten Realms?
>>
>>52624492
I played a barbarian that used herbal concoctions. He'd chew on fragrant plants all the time, and swallow one when he activated rage. Basically, he took drugs.
>>
>>52624492
>I don't think a DM will allow sharpshooter melee for the same reason you won't allow someone with a crossbow to do GWM+SS melee. It's... Yeah.

Honestly, it's no different to me hitting them from 5 feet back and I'm sure as hell not going to combine it with GWM. Even is he doesn't allow it, I'll suck it up and settle for Archering someone then running in to stunning strike them.

Also I do agree the Berserker being an old guard doesn't mesh well with the mechanics. Which is why I'm sad we never got a fighter with a mini-rage ability, just the +2 Damage and ADV on Strength Checks would be good, let the Barbarian's keep Reckless Attack and Unarmoured.
>>
>>52624422
Your alignment is separate from your oath, and you don't have an (official) obligation to the former. So yeah, I imagine it would be very hard for a vengeance paladin to remain Good forever.
>>
>>52624582
Honestly I expect real life berserkers may have done something similar.

Working yourself into that much of a rage is something that takes a bit of thought in any case. It's not as easy to change your mindset as people like to think.
>>
>>52624624
>real life beserkers

Pretty sure those didnt exist.

I mean the name/profession was obviously used but they werent the angry fly into a rage barbarians we know and love.
>>
File: thumbnail_photo q.jpg (71KB, 572x640px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_photo q.jpg
71KB, 572x640px
>>52624214
>>52624239
>>52624498
>>52624323
>>52624468
here's a drawing of the circle btw. inb4 star of david, i know i know, but I didn't wanna do a pentagram and I didn't have the knowledge or equipment to make a 7/8 sided star, or otherwise interesting shape.
>>
File: NMjcZ4t.jpg (65KB, 900x1120px) Image search: [Google]
NMjcZ4t.jpg
65KB, 900x1120px
Any cool Half Orc art that doesn't make the face look like a deformed asshole but not a Calvin Klein model? Pic related as its been the best i've found
>>
>>52624643
Different guy but I think I saw some documentary about some guys who consumed drugs because it made them think they were animals. They bit their shields and thought animal spirits would save them from ever needing real armour or some shit.

I don't know how true it is but it sounds like something that could be.
>>
>>52624643
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal
>>
>>52624104
retread of duskblade from 3e’s PHB2
>>
>>52624122
Wisdom
>>
So I'll be joining a campaign in a month or so.
Our DM wants us to roll up level 3 characters with relatively no idea what the others are doing (so that someone doesn't feel stuck filling a role)
So far we know we have:
-A tank
-Two martial characters
-A mystic
-One other person
-And me
I talked to the DM and already filled in my role as a face/caster. Now my question comes to y'all:
Should I play a lore bard for the skill monkeying and good spell list, or should I play a sorcerer for twinned haste and other shenanigans?
I see the benefits of both but would love your input
>>
If a player finds a spell scroll, can they only cast the spell from the scroll if it's in their class' spell list?
>>
>>52624676
USPS guys really are modern warriors, I salute them and their khaki shorts
>>
>>52624686
Lore Bard if you're already the face
>>
File: Gary Gygax.png (49KB, 1350x680px) Image search: [Google]
Gary Gygax.png
49KB, 1350x680px
>>52624422
Good isn't always nice. Vengeance Paladins can easily be and stay Lawful Good.
>>
>>52624643
>Pretty sure those don't exist
Allow me to copy paste a yahoo answers answer:

"Yes, there are many historical examples of Vikings going "berserk". Any good history book should have a chapter on it.
I would recommend Gwyn Jones "A History of the Vikings" Oxford University Press 1968."

I mean. That doesn't mean much unless you can find that book, but there are plenty of sources that will attest to berserkers. The theory works as well, that if you attack without regards for your life you could quite possibly fuck someone over or at least scare them away.
I mean, I'm not saying they were ultra effective or anything. There's a lot of grey area about them. But they're definitely there in various history books.

In any case, whether they exist or not, they're generally established in fantasy to be more than 'Just someone who got angry at something and thus hit hard'.
I'm pretty sure the concept is more than just a mental illness.
>>
>>52624688
Yes just like that.
>>
>>52624612
If someone is stunned, you can just shoot them in their face. An incapacitated enemy doesn't hinder you.
>>
>>52624055
4e's Shaman.
>>
>>52624694
But I can still be a face with a sorcerer, they both use Charisma and I'll easily get training in persuasion/deception.
Would damage spells be a problem? It doesn't look like the bard gets very good damage spells for a while
>>
>>52624612
Yeah. It's a shame. At higher levels, you can justify it as a level dip into barbarian where you're not as raging as the other barbarians, but at lower levels you can't really take levels of barbarian without raging as hard as them.
>>
>>52624643
They did exist, Berserkrgang is an actual term used for the seemingly nonsensical rages they flew into. Berserkr means Bear Skin, and Berserks wore bear skin apparently to warn people that they're berserkers in battle and liable to kill allies because they can't tell the difference at that point. Look it up.
>>
>>52624717
Is that the one with the spirit that they can control and resummon?
>>
>>52624703
Christ, that answer is like something straight out of Gulag Archipelago. I think just executing them would be less evil than THAT!
>>
>>52624686
I mean I would consider Warlock as well since it has a couple of abilities that will probably help you be a more effective face at a cheaper cost, but being the face is generally being the unless you don't want to be the singing faggot.
>>
>>52624665
>>52624704
>>52624743
http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/28819/

You absolutely dont have time to go over 100,000 words or however long this fuckmassive pdf is but people have studied this shit extensively.
>>
>>52624686
If sorcerer, pick some good subtle spell. Either way, make a character that will be fun to play. Maybe that ends up being warlock or enchanter. Just try to come up with a good reason to adventure and fit the class around that.
>>
>>52624752

Yeah. The spirit was less 'Animal companion' and more 'Mobile targeting beacon' in mechanics. It didn't track HP (As when you can summon it back next turn, that's pointless busywork) and it was used as the targeting point for your melee shaman powers (So if the spirit wandered around a corner it could pop a guy in the face you couldn't see) while you personally cast your ranged ones.
>>
>>52624703
Not by 5e's PHB - good is nice.

Otherwise it just serves to make alignment even less meaningful if you can't even tell what someone's morality is from it.
>>
>>52624582
>>52624624
Actually, there's been significant discoveries on the nature of Viking berserkers in the last few years, including evidence of a type of nut called a "valnar". When ingested, the nut triggers a massive spike in adrenaline, testosterone, and various hormones, driving the berserker into an intense high, not dissimilar to PCP. Over the course of many Viking military campaigns, the valnar nut was extensively overharvested and eventually became extinct. For a similar historical phenomenon, look up the Silphium plant and its relationship to ancient Rome.
The most remarkable aspect of the valnar nut, though, is that it was a suppository. For maximum effect, the user needed to insert it into the rectum, where direct contact with the intestinal membrane caused an instant, powerful effect. By the end of the Vikings as a world power, directly correlated with the extinction of the valnar nut, they had become so rare and valuable that Vikings would dig through their own feces to recover the precious nut, even sifting through the feces of fellow vikings in the hope that they had lost their valnar. Valnar nuts were even passed from father to son when they came of age.
Of course, the image of the true berserker is due to a condition known as "valnar fisnere", where the powerful, enhanced glute muscles and sphincter caused a particularly well-used nut to crack, releasing all of its enzymes and chemicals into the body at once. A Viking who suffered valnar fisnere would invariably enter a frenzied rage and attack everyone within reach with terrifying strength, before being brought down or overdosing on sheer adrenaline. It's from this terrifying occurrence that we get the phrase "to bust a nut", now unfortunately corrupted from its original meaning.
>>
>>52624690
You know what? I almost want to play a courier. Ranger/Barbarian hybrid, or something.
>>
>>52624643
>>52624665
>>52624704
>>52624743
>>52624765
see
>>52624797
>>
>>52624759
Well I feel like the lack of spell slots for warlock isn't exactly what I want. We already have plenty of martial characters (the tank and two others) that is already half the party. I want to make sure that we can have consistent magic support.

I was leaning more towards bard but I'm a little worried about the damage. I've played with this DM before and he isn't telling me anything but I know he's big into tough combats.

I guess my main concern is if the bard's stuff is worth the lower damage output from their spell choices.
>>
>>52624788
>Not by 5e's PHB - good is nice.

Hm? Lawful Good is "what society expects." Chaotic Good is "per your conscience."

GG's description of Good abides by either.

>Otherwise it just serves to make alignment even less meaningful if you can't even tell what someone's morality is from it.

Alignment is about points on a cosmic conflict, if you can't wipe out the enemy then that does imply that good can only win with help from neutral or evil types.
>>
>>52624797
>It's from this terrifying occurrence that we get the phrase "to bust a nut", now unfortunately corrupted from its original meaning.

Did I just get trolled?
>>
>>52624797
Honestly, I think this proves it.
>>
>>52624809
That sounds like it would be pretty sick in a 1on1 game, not sure if it could work in a group, unless the groups actions are dictated by your job, and they follow you around for some reason.
>>
>>52624729
Yeah, Sorc has Charisma, but I think the face fits more thematically with the Bard. Twinned haste does sound really good though.

Shit, flip a coin my dude.
>>
File: 2017-04-01 16.38.35.png (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-01 16.38.35.png
75KB, 800x600px
>>52624729
Dissonant whispers... Lvl 1 3d6 PSYCHIC damage and you can force an opportunity attack from it. That not enough damage for ya?
>>
>>52624845
Well, they'd be an ex-courier when they joined the party, since they went postal.
>>
Do you get an ASI at character level 4 or class level 4? Like would a Fighter 2/Rogue 2 get an ASI?
>>
>>52624809
>Ranger/Barbarian hybrid
Works better then it sounds, just make sure it's a Spellless Ranger and go Hunter Hoard Breaker for another attack to get GWM, Reckless Attack and Rage on.
>>
>>52624866
>Commander's Strike.

Hold Person is perfectly predicted plan.
>>
>>52624870
Class level.
Its to make multiclassing slightly less OP.
>>
File: bullshit.png (93KB, 490x302px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.png
93KB, 490x302px
>>52624797
>>
>>52624825
>Neutral good folk do the best they can to help people according to their needs
Does not mean
>Neutral good folk will fucking tear off your scalp, cut off your ears and nose, blind you then chop off your feet and hands and leave you in the street
Now, I get it, that's neutral good, but it's good. That's important, because chaotic good's description is incredibly vague without knowing this.
Then, lawful good is 'what society expects'. Not 'what some cosmological force expects'. It's 'what society expects'.

The 5e PHB has nothing about cosmological conflicts.
"A typical creature in the worlds of DUNGEONS &
DRAGONShas an alignment, which broadly describes
its moral and personal attitudes. Alignment is a
combinalion of two factors: one identifies morality
(good, evil, or neutra I),and the olher describes
altitudes toward society and order (Iawful, chaotie,
or neutral)."
And all the descriptions are really more about personality than anything.
>>
>>52624835
You can look it up if you don't believe me.

You won't find anything, though. The government had to hush it up because the digsite also unearthed unnerving evidence of the world being run by Ashkenazi lizardpeople.
>>
My DM's lets us swap a Classes +2 for anything to try and allow broader characters.

Is a Scourge Aasimar Zealot Barbarian the best thing I can do with this?
>>
>>52624910
Dude, don't say "wahh wahh that contradicts what the PHB says about good" and then say "ah, but ONE alignment, which GG described as being much more merciful and benevolent than LG in that very forum discussion, is the rule they should all abide by!"

By the PHB there is no ground to say that LG types have to be weak little spineless cowards that rely on neutrals and evils for all their victories.
>>
>>52624937
wow that sounds, just awful
>>
>>52624956
Explain? Also I meant to type race not class. Whoops.
>>
Can you retrain Warlock Invocations?
>>
>>52624937
The best thing you can do with it is swap a +2 int for +2 dex or +2 wis.
>>
>>52624129
All elves are trannies. Probably.
>>
Is there any way to take advantage of a tiefling's stat bonuses?
No class really makes good use of two separate mental abilities as far as I can tell.
>>
>>52624910
I like to think of it as Lawful Good means believing that laws and regulations are meant to help people, and doing good means adhering to those laws. Very "law of the jungle".
Chaotic Good means believing that laws and regulations keep people down and doing good means defying those laws. Like the "off the grid" people.
Neutral Good means having to decide on an individual basis how to help people. There's more choice, but more chance of doing wrong.

Every alignment is a method of making decisions. Someone's always going to fall through the cracks of your alignment and suffer because of Lawful or Chaotic, but it's up to the character to recognize that and make an exception.
>>
>>52625020
Use the Feral and Abyssal options. You can then choose +2 CHA or +2 DEX and +1 INT or +1 CON.
>>
>>52625020
Bard for int skillmonkeying I guess.
>>
>>52624964
>Scourge Aasimar Zealot Barbarian
idk man that just smells a bit like an overloaded character to me. Then again, I don't really like having wacky races (pun not intended) in my games, not as PCs anyway, I'll let them get away with a tiefling maybe. I just don't want everyone trying to out-unique eachother. I find there's style in simplicity.

anyway, explain what you mean by Scourge?
>>
>>52624129
I'm into it
>>
>>52624950
Gary Gygax is not the 5e PHB and thus is not a valid source. I'm not sure he's even talking about 5e there, but it could be talking about a particular setting. But you're saying that neutral good being nice has nothing to do with lawful good being nice? Are you saying that going from neutral to lawful turns them from 'Avatar of love' to 'avatar of execution by law's order'?

It's very heavily implied that evil is about selfishness, neutral is somewhere inbetween and good is about selflessness.

That doesn't mean a lawful good has to be a spineless coward, it just means that they should put others before themself. If a goblin will grow up to terrorize many, they would be justified in killing it.
They're the sort that will question someone they're told to kill before killing them, rather than 'Oh, the law told be to kill them, so I'll kill them.' because that's lawful neutral.

Sure, FR's alignment might work differently, but FR isn't all of 5e and the PHB does allow for non-FR settings.
>>
>>52625045
A Scourge Aasimar? From Volo's? It gives a once per long rest 10 foot aura of Level/2 Radiant Damage for a minute.

Aasimar in our setting aren't super sparkly glowing things either. Just autism and niceness and I thought the Zealot Barbarian with the whole divine connection thing would mesh pretty well with it flavorwise.
>>
>>52624824
I was thinking more about the debuff powers of a warlock, more than it's Martial capabilities. Bards in it of itself is the opposite in that regard, instead of debuffs you can buff teammates, and if you're confident that the martial classes will be able to pull through bard would be the better option. Warlock would help everyone else be more effective in combat... and if you want to cheese just stun lock and remove most threats with shadow monk. But that's more controversial and heavily depends on how the DM builds encounters.
>>
>>52625027
Really, that first case should be lawful neutral. They don't go out of their way to help within the law's bounds, they just stick to the law.
Otherwise, there's no distinction between 'Nice guy that believes laws and regulations are key to a good lifestyle' and 'Big fucking jerk that believes laws and regulations are the key to a good lifestyle', and the PHB does say alignment is about personality.
>>
>>52625066
>gygax
>posting about 5e
>>
>>52625066
>>52624950
This is a rabbit hole and you should both stop. Everyone interprets morality differently and this is no exception.
>>
>>52625100
fucking this, people have been arguing about morality since AD&D, just play your character how they are and don't worry about it
>>
>>52624055
>If it fits, I sits
>>
>>52624655
Try nine points.
>>
File: 1361968463717.jpg (75KB, 488x600px) Image search: [Google]
1361968463717.jpg
75KB, 488x600px
Are Warforged playable yet? I've never been able to play a Warforged before and I want to so bad.
>>
>>52625125
It's already in pen now in my last black handbook. I'm making an actual Book of Ancient Secrets, so I can have an in-universe prop that doubles as a spellbook
>>
>>52625081
Sorry, I meant "help as much as you can within the law"
>>
>>52625100
It's not even a case of interpretation of morality itself. It's a case of objective versus subjective morality again, and I thought we'd already agreed that objective morality is FR but subjective morality is PHB.
>>
>>52625132
dude...

dude.
>>
>>52624129
They tried to tap into the sjw crowd and used the elven god corellion as an example. Page 121 of the players handbook, under sex.
>>
>>52625132
They were in the first 5e UA, Eberron (so they've been around since February 2nd 2015, ie two whole fuckin years already)

And they're not bad. +1 AC, they're immune to disease, they don't need to eat or breathe (but can eat if they want) and they enter a 4 hour state of inactivity where they're still aware of their surroundings instead of sleeping.
>>
>>52624515
>nb4 objective morality
I'm here. What do you want to know?
>>
Changing some of the monster races to beastfolk, what would Bugbears be?
>>
>>52625232
Would you fuck your mother to save a boat full of illegal immigrants, one of which is Hitler?
>>
File: kizunaaidesu.jpg (106KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
kizunaaidesu.jpg
106KB, 1279x720px
>>52625232
What I want to know is why people still cling to old artefacts of systems like rolling for stats and alignment being anything but a simple tag for a character's personality.
>>
File: forgivemenomatterwhat.jpg (47KB, 844x431px) Image search: [Google]
forgivemenomatterwhat.jpg
47KB, 844x431px
>>52625294
Incest has no alignment and saving immigrants, illegal or not, as well as Hitler is Good.

>>52625305
Stat rolling is for faggots and alignment is great if you're playing in an objective morality setting. I'm sorry you've seen retards and shit DMs play alignment incorrectly, regardless of subjective or objective morality, but everyone's refusal to do something right doesn't mean it sucks; everyone plays Monopoly the wrong way, too.
>>
>>52625294
That depends, would hitler successfully exterminate all jews this time?
>>
>>52624199
Control Wizard.
preventing damage is more efficient than curing it.
>>
File: paladin.webm (626KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
paladin.webm
626KB, 720x405px
>>
>>52625268
Monkeyfolk
>>
>>52624273
So.. Spelljammer Phlognostin meets Blind Eternities.
>>
>>52625333
The problem isn't that. The problem is that people seem to think 'Oh, it's trickier to make a moral decision when you have even more incentive not to kill this guy you were unsure about killing' when all that did is weight things heavily towards not killing that guy and make it hardly a decision at all or that you can't have a character viewed as evil by society even though they're a nice guy without objective morality.
I don't really understand.
>>
>>52625333
Why is stat rolling for faggots
>>
What is "a kind of creature"?
If I wanted to pick Mimic when making a magic weapon that shines when Mimics are near.
Shapeshifter? Monstrosity? or just Mimic?
>>
>>52624866
Thank you, that actually does a lot to relieve my concerns. I suppose vicious mockery ain't a bad cantrip either

>>52625076
Agonizing Blast would be nice magic damage overall, I suppose, especially paired with hex. I just don't feel the same oomph from the class that I do with sorcerer, you know?
They get similar damage spells, but sorc gets more slots and metamagic in addition to that.
>>
>>52624498
>Central Eye of a beholder to act as a grounding agent for the spell

You know, this got me thinking.

Can necromancy raise severed parts of dead creatures as undead?

Setting would 100x more awesome if Undead bioweapons in DnD became a thing.
>>
>>52625374
I thought about that but the ones small enough to be sneaky aren't exactly large or strong.

Bears was another idea I had but they're not really ambushers... Though I could just use the same fluff as Bugbears, with their stealth coming directly from a blessing of their god.
>>
>>52625045
That's not even slightly an overloaded character.

>aasimar of the "mean divine vengeance" sort
>barbarian of the "mean divine vengeance" sort

Its as overloaded as "wood elf druid"
>>
>>52624388
you assume they come back "right."
gotta get uncanny and obviously malicious with it.
>>
>>52624661

Marv from Sin City would be good enough. Just make his skin greyish/green tinged, with tiny tusks poking out from his lower jaw.
>>
>>52625066
>Gary Gygax is not the 5e PHB and thus is not a valid source.

Your ass, which you have been relying upon, is not a valid source either.

So far we have:
1. The description of the 5e lawful good alignment
2. The description of the 5e chaotic good alignment
3. Gary Gygax

You have:

1. Your ass
>>
>>52625155
>and I thought we'd already agreed that objective morality is FR

You can be a lawful good paladin slaveowner in FR in accordance with cosmic divine justice.
>>
>>52625397
All of the above are "kinds." So yes, you could do any of the above.

>>52625413
As a totally homebrew/DM fiat thing, yes.
>>
>>52625416
Gorillafolk then?
>>
>>52625388
It's inherently trickier because once, there's actually a consequence beyond what local laws can prescribe. You have every consequence, pitfall, and dilemma that exists by cultural or societal expectations, plus an added layer or two of all those to consider. Your actions also have greater consequence when you are in a position to do something that won't be witnessed or can't possibly be known about or punished by society.

"Not killing the guy" can get you into trouble with society, in addition to cosmic forces (which may or may not ever actually come calling to collect on your mistakes; your consequences may entirely be post-life, which is usually beyond the scope of a campaign so who the fuck cares). The questions that arise from this, irrespective of divine or cosmic action, are ultimately more engaging.

Without real objective morality, it's incredibly easy to rationalize literally any action, to play moral arithmetic rather than moral calculus. If the table has already decided that alignment isn't a close to a concern, why look too deep into at all?

Where do we draw the line on consequences and RP? So alignment's out the window and the DM doesn't feel like magical detectives, so nothing is likely to happen if the party murders this guy in the woods and takes his cash. Oh, maybe the story might change a bit, and some bad shit happens to OTHER people as a result, but the effect on the players is limited to how much their characters are inconvenienced; if they could kill a man in cold blood and spend his money, are they really torn up about his now-starving children? Why would the DM even bring that up if alignment or morality and the RP surrounding them isn't a presence of the campaign?
>>
Can a Barbarian live with 14 Con and Dex and just use Medium Armor?
>>
Is there a way to build a Mystic with a Stand?
>>
>>52625535
>>52625388
We want consequences when the party decides to murderhobo, as evidenced by everyone bitching about it. We think the party shouldn't be able to start a fight with the guards in the middle of the city, or assault the bartender on a busy night surrounded by patrons.

In reality, these actions weigh on a person regardless of whether they are punished by the law. Soldiers lose their lunch over their first confirmed kill, or purposefully shoot wide because they cannot conscience murdering another human--even an enemy in a time of war. They get PTSD and go fucking nuts. People who steal petty change are wracked with guilt, even if they never return it or confess. When I was young and working in a deli, a little old lady came in and ordered some meat to be sliced, and I dropped the whole hunk on the floor. It was the last bit of it and I didn't want to get in trouble, so I scooped it up, sliced it anyway, and gave it to her. And for the next three days I went nuts wondering if maybe I got some fucking floor germs on that meat or it spoiled early and her little old lady compromised immune system couldn't handle it and she got sick or died or something.

We don't go that far with our characters, pretty much ever. The bad shit our characters do in a game doesn't weigh on us, though it should weigh on them. It's impossible to show the same level of concern in character for that shit as we would in reality, and that's even if you're playing an RP-heavy campaign.

Objective morality and giving a shit about alignment can be an alternate means of getting closer to that level of moral fidelity. If you consider that you're "playing it wrong" or that the "correct" choice is usually the one which isn't easiest for you, you're less likely to play some shit that you should realistically care about but practically won't.

All that aside, alignment and objective morality is Hard Mode, without necessarily punishing you any more mechanically, as a shit build would.
>>
>>52625601
Fluff your abilities into making contracts with otherworldly vestiges.
>>
>>52625601
Fluff everything as calling out stand? Beastial Claw is calling out stand to attack the enemy for example.

This is how 5e work, if you want mechanic representation for every little thing, go back to foxfurry general.
>>
>>52625653
Thanks, now I don't trust delis
>>
>>52625653
>Soldiers lose their lunch over their first confirmed kill

More accurate to say "some soldiers lose their lunch etc etc." One's reaction to death and killing is highly individual.
>>
>>52625535
Well, this is a pretty good description.

However, the vibe I'm getting from this is 'It's for lazy DMs who don't want to deal with your actions having consequences in society, and instead you just kind of carry a mark of evil or good'. Which I can actually understand, it's not easy to really punish people for some things, and some players can reduce things down to 'Okay, is anyone looking? No? I kill them and take their stuff, nobody will know.' and I get that that could make some decisions easier.
But, at the same time, that feels unnatural. Firstly, the player should be subjected to criticism because most normal characters could not rob a lone orphan for all their money without some shed of tear of remorse and then go about being a totally normal guy by day. If the player only does that and doens't show signs of insecurity, really the player is a bad roleplayer.

So maybe I'm thinking 'It's for both bad players and lazy DMs'.

Sure, you can justify an action, but if players play their characters like emotionless robots then something's wrong. And I think it's more interesting to have 'magical detective' played out than an instant recognition of good or evil.

>>52625653
>Fight with the guards, assault the bartender
These sorts of situations don't need an added detriment. Most things like these have clear consequences, we don't need some cosmic evil tag to chase you around for them. Trying to make people forget or disguises might be part of someone's character ..
>>
>>52624194
The arm on the statue seems to be too long. I can't unsee it now..
>>
>>52625188
But anon, he's been that way since 1e.
>>
>>52625692
>>52625653
>We don't go that far with that characters
I guess that's a point, though.
Not everyone wants to roleplay to that extent. At the very least though, rather than playing out PTSD, they can at least think 'Okay, my character would feel really bad during our downtime about this'.

But this has gotten a lot further with understanding (and actual good points for) the concept whereas before it was mostly circlejerks about orphans and burning and killing everything and that making you evil.

Honestly I think the best way of doing everything would be something with detectives. There'd have to be some level of information and magic going on, but enough that players can play around trying to cover up a murder in the woods without nobody ever finding out about it. You can give them a reasoning other than 'god wills it', but rather that people have become suspicious of the party and that rumours have cropped up.

Though for high fantasy things and swords that reject evil/good owners and that sort of thing and paladins who can detect evil definitely objective alignment sounds like it should work, but it feels like 5e's avoiding that on purpose.
>>
>>52625711
I have genuinely no idea why people say this as if it matters -- the point is that ELVES have never been portrayed as dual gendered, even though, yes, elven deities have always been able to take either sex.
>>
>meet a blue dragon wyrmling and a few kobolds in a dungeon
>Aasimar warlock walks up to the kobold and uses his fear aura ability
>two kobolds run into their own traps and kill themselves
>waste two more
>last one hides in a corner
>party attacks the dragon while I, the winged Tiefling Loremaster Wizard, demand that the surviving kobold surrenders (I wanted him to show us where he stashed the dragon's hoard)
>this goes hilariously poorly until the cleric uses Inflict Wounds and strangles the dragon to death
>kobold calls me its new god and swears fealty to me

What should I do with this little guy? I'm thinking to either train it to pour drinks at the guild hall or make it a prophet and gather more kobolds under me. My wizard will use True Polymorph to "become" a dragon so this kobold will get to worship a dragon eventually.
>>
>>52624619
I played an oath of vengeance pally in my last game. Rest of the party was evil. I was Lawful Evil by the end of my last game. My name was cursed throughout the land as the general of the Necromancer King, and I had a party of paladins chasing me and I didn't have the will to run or fight them.

But I killed him, and according to the DM, the paladins of my order erected a small shrine dedicated 'To the unnamed crusader, who gave everything." It was rewarding, but kind of sad.
>>
>>52625764
Train him in taking progressively larger phallic objects so he knows what to do when you polymorph.
>>
I want to be Sword and Board Bard! Should I go Fighter 1 / Lore Bard X or Pure Valor Bard?
>>
>>52625764
Make the Kobold into a pack mule, with occasional "that'll do, pig" moments to humanize it. And if you meet other Kobolds, have it talk about how you're cooler than dragons. or something.
>>
>>52625686
I volunteered at a soup kitchen later (not as penance for the meat thing) so I think I'm in the clear.

Speaking of shit like that, there are D&D settings that should demand, from an IC perspective, a closer adherence to morality than we can see in reality.

In something like Forgotten Realms, Gods are everywhere and an active part in everyone's life. You can see their work in everything, and on an active level, not in the sense that "God's beauty is everywhere and he made all these rocks and causes children to laugh," but actually, demonstrably curing the sick and empowering people to shoot fire and holy lasers out of their eyeballs. You can talk to the Gods and get an actual answer that other people can hear. It's all 100% provable and needn't be taken on faith.

In a setting like that, you know there are consequences, even if those consequences aren't decided on by the Gods themselves--and in FR, they aren't, they supercede the Gods. Euthyphro's dilemma has an answer there: Good is loved by the Gods because it is Good, it's not Good because it is loved by the Gods.

Consider how few shits even the devoutly religious around you give. The Bible says do this, do that, goes out of its way to teach you shit like wealth being bad and needing to donate your money. Jesus says over and over that you should donate to the poor, and yet... they don't. They pick and choose. There are so many things they ought to do, are told by the WORD OF FUCKING GOD to do, but they can't be bothered.

Yet they will show up to work every day on time. They will stick to their 15 minute breaks when they know the boss is watching, they won't try to "steal time" by coming in late or leaving early and lying when there's a timeclock that can call them on that shit. They are terrified of losing their jobs, and will behave as well as they can to avoid it, especially when they know their fuck-ups will be noticed or recorded.
>>
>>52625745
>>52625692
>>52625653
Well, after some hard thought in the kitchen, you've convinced me, anon.

Objective morality is okay. 5e's kind of staying in an area where objective morality isn't required, but you can put it on if you want.

My problem is elsewhere, really, and that's a different argument that doesn't need bringing up. But it makes that orphan problem more of a 'If I kill these orphans to save the nation, I'll be hated, but I'll know I did the right thing' and actually be more of a 'there will be bad consequences and you might even be executed, but cosmically you'll be recognized as good'.
>>
>>52625897
But God? The guy who sees literally everything you do? Who is judging you for admittance to ETERNAL LIFE IN PARADISE, something we would expect to be way more important than some early job? Meh.

See, they don't really believe. Not in their heart of hearts. Adherence to the dogma is for other people.

But that's not so much an option in a setting where Clerics are shooting holy lasers out of their asses at actual fucking demons trying to kill you.
You'd better want to behave.
>>
Did I get this right?
If I want to make an Alchemist's Fire (50gp consumable).

It would took me 10 days and 25gp cost in raw material?

If I hire 4 skilled hireling (total of 8gp per day), I could create it in 2 days?
>>
>>52625820
Paladin 2/ Valor Bard X actually makes sense with fluff and works really well. You gain smiting, a fighting style, heavy armour and the ability to be shining knight.

The other option is pure Valor Bard and play him as more of a Skald. I'd suggest DEX for better AC.
>>
File: 1489885422229.jpg (34KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1489885422229.jpg
34KB, 500x374px
>player hordes magic items and doesnt share
>'steals' 3 tomes/manual from a dragon hoard that the party slain
>make him roll sleight of hand against passive perception
>steals it, ok
>he is always late, cancels last minute
>ok
>his character is a drunkard, let the players go through the bag of holding where all the supplies and gold is kept and find his 10 magic items
>all the other characters have 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, he has 10
>they steal some of the magic items

And now he's threatening to quit because they stole all of "his" items.

They took 4

the 3 tomes/manual and a chime of opening
>>
>>52625949
>have a magic item
>can't actually use the magic item
>hold onto it anyways just for the AC boost
Am I devilish?
>>
>>52625949
Why aren't you making everything require attunement so he literally can't use all but two or three of his things?

>>52625979
If it's giving you an AC boost you're using it.
>>
Should the Save DC for a Berserker's Intimidate be based of Strength instead of Charisma?
>>
>>52625938
That could work! Thanks!
>>
>>52625897
Honestly I will say though, it generally seems that the ones who get promotions are the people who put extra into their work. If they're there every day and work the bare minimum and do the bare minimum and only do hard when people are watching, evidence will slowly show through. Even if their work is never realized, if they go on to do other work they'll be the one who's used to doing hard work, and they will be the one more likely to succeed, because they've conditioned themself to do right, not to do only good when people are watching.

But really it's the point about players shouldn't have to play 100% to character all the time, tirelessly. If players were always 100% in character, the people slacking off when nobody's watching would suffer more than those who follow a strict code.
>>
Anyone have the ENworld classes? I have a friend who wants to play a Cardcaster
>>
I see a lot of Tempest Cleric / Storm Sorcerer build but why aren't there Tempest Cleric / Evocation Wizard build? Is it just flavor issue?
>>
>>52625413
There's Crawling Claw.
>>
>>52625949
Sounds like one of those players that hoards magic items that would be useful for other players then whines that they don't get any they like.
>>
File: gay_skeleton_by_kaour_chan.jpg (76KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
gay_skeleton_by_kaour_chan.jpg
76KB, 600x800px
Anybody got a link to a mirror for the mega of art and tokens? I had it before but can't find it for some reason.
>>
>>52626038
They are Constructs. I would treat such things as unique Constructs, handled on a case by case basis, with Animate Dead as a prereq.
>>
>>52625949
> not writing party rule for sharing loots IC
> not kicking the guy from the party from hoarding loots

That's what we would do IRL if one of you co-worker steal your salary.
>>
>>52626018
Support content creators.
Also its not out yet.
>>
>>52625413
Not PC. PC are limited to raising humanoid.
>>
File: 1456117300900.jpg (746KB, 1364x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1456117300900.jpg
746KB, 1364x1100px
>>52625393
As someone who was intoduced to point buy and played most games using it, I honestly prefer rolling. Then again I also like a good gamble so I maybe biased.

I have started having my players roll too with some very simple rules.
1: You must roll for all 6 stats
2: You must do this with the DM present
3: You are allowed to reroll as many times as you wish, however once you choose to reroll your current numbers for all 6 stats become void and you must reroll all 6 stats.

Of course mostmy players stopped as soon as they got an 18 in their main stat (after modifiers). But so far they really seem to be having more fun now after doing this and I haven't noticed anything being too OP besides the Fighter with a great sword and Great Weapon Fighting. They are at lvl 3 right now.
>>
>>52626110
I support content creators I like. I've literally never seen the product of or had an interest in the one behind these.
>>
>>52626110
It's behind a paywall on patreon, I'm pretty sure it's out. Can't really help, though.
>>
In Volo's, it says Kobolds serve chromatic dragons, and doesn't mention metallic. Is there a reason for that?
>>
Is there any particular Weapon damage type that's resisted more?

I don't really know but Bludgeoning seems like it would be the best.
>>
>>52626260
I'd imagine it's because chromatic dragons would take advantage of willing slaves, while metallic, generally being good-aligned, would be like, "Yo slavery aint good ya'll little shits go do you."
>>
>>52626260
Kobolds are cowardly and selfish, and usually Lawful Evil. Metallic Dragons wouldn't be interested in that shit.

Then there's the deeper level, where the Kobold's god was a servant of Tiamat. So they probably aren't big on Bahamut.
>>
>>52626260
Kobolds are traditionally evil, and the lore represents that. In standard D&D (Greyhawk, FR, etc.), kobold serve chromatic dragons because they have similar ideals like dominating the weak and hoarding wealth.

Don't let that stop you as a DM or player with a willing DM though, kobold paladins of Bahamut are common meme characters.
>>
File: Aurochs.png (73KB, 556x429px) Image search: [Google]
Aurochs.png
73KB, 556x429px
Best monster coming through
>>
>>52626290
>Kobold paladins of Bahamut

Paladin would be memey for them, but man, Clerics sounds about right. I'm sure there's gotta be some who have found there's this dragon god that DOESN'T like to kill/screw over their servants for fun and that people are generally more accepting of being good.
>>
>>52626278
I think it's roughly bludgeoning>slashing>piercing but the differences are very minor and the main uses would be out of combat or improvised actions. I.e. a maul to smash down a door, not a longsword. Or a rapier to skewer a slime's vital internal point, not a maul.
>>
>>52626290
>kobold paladins of Bahamut

I've never heard this before. It actually would work decently, you Find Steed helps you gain Advantage on attacks.
>>
>>52626290
Volo's paints them in a pretty positive light - it says they steal sometimes, but so do humans, so I dunno if that is enough to make them generally evil (if you're playing strictly to 5e material.) I think I'm with >>52626287 and >>52626285; maybe Volo's just puts it that way because metallics don't keep them around.
>>
>>52626290
No reason a metallic dragon couldn't have kobold minions, but normally metallic dragons don't bother with *ANY* sort of minion.

IF one did, kobolds would be fine.
>>
Druids
are
GHEY!
>>
>>52625994
Yup. It should also not be an action. Either a bonus action, made if an attack hits, or to all hostile creatures who can see you when you drop a creature to 0
>>
>>52625949
Let him quite

Say later nigga
>>
File: 1489812685966.jpg (99KB, 767x563px) Image search: [Google]
1489812685966.jpg
99KB, 767x563px
>>52626474
>>
>>52626097
Good call. Huh.

There's also Flameskull, which is a flying skull of a spellcaster. Like, what even happened to the party?

Strictly speaking, a skeleton is an undead that's made from part of a body, but I don't think we should think too much about how skeletons work.
>>
>>52626479
That last one could be cool. I honestly think the ability has more use out of combat though.

I dare say you should at least get advantage to try and make them do something for making someone scared shitless of you beforehand.
>>
>>52625994
>Intimidating is strength meme
We've been over this

Strength is a subjective conditional thing that measures your ability to intimidate 'some' people. Not all people are scared because you have muscles. In fact, in a magical world, hardly anyone should care.
Charisma is an objective thing that measures your objective ability to intimidate all people.
>>
File: 1487877550998.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
1487877550998.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>52626530
>>
>>52626541
And why?

Do you think you can intimdate a forcecage wizard with your muscles?

You have to convince the forcecage wizard to be scared of your muscles, because he knows he's just going to forcecage you and he won't give a shit. If you don't try to convince him and just stand there flexing, you've automatically failed.
>>
>>52626559
>>52626541
>>52626530
The only thing a str based intimidate is going to work on are creatures of your size or smaller who aren't very magical, really.

To an ogre, you're going to look fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>52626530
I can agree but I do believe doing a physical act of intimidation (Slamming them against a wall, smashing a bottle and waving it at them, kicking them in the jaw and etc.) should use Strength for checks. Also the main reason they specifically call out using Strength for Intimidation is because of Barbarian.

I would find it fair to give the hulking monster double proficiency on Intimidation and make him use Charisma to intimidate.

But the main reason I believe the feature should use Strength is the fact a fair few abilities use stats for no reason other then it matches the class. Battlemasters make people save against their Strength or Dexterity to avoid being scared and Hexblades use Charisma to hit people with a stick.
>>
>>52626530
>In fact, in a magical world, hardly anyone should care.
Considering most casters are, generally, pretty squishy, people should still be intimidated by muscles (at least up to a certain point, anyone capable of casting, for example, forcecage, probably SHOULDN'T give a shit unless they're out of spell slots). But even in a world where you can throw around spells, tough guys can still beat you to death.
I agree it should be circumstantial though, at best.
>>
>>52626618
It makes sense that Battlemasters would make people save vs str or dex because you're performing a physical action against them.

Hexblades get a free pass due to serving a magic sword.
>>
>>52626643
Do you agree the ability is too weak but shouldn't use Strength? Or do you think that ability is fine as it is even though it uses one of their dump stats?
>>
File: AD&D Conan.png (74KB, 1309x575px) Image search: [Google]
AD&D Conan.png
74KB, 1309x575px
>>52626668
Use of Str would be dunbm (he'd get advantage too, youch), unless the berserker is currently demonstrating his strength against him (say, in a grapple).

Its a very powerful, free lockdown ability that is difficult to fully capitalize on. It does make the archetypal barbarogue type even better, and considering Conan has always been thought of as having thief levels it seems apropos for me. Expertise in Athletics and Intimidate from rogue is a great idea.

Yes, I realize its unnatural to multiclass to make use of a level 10 feature -- on the other hand, the rogue is very much a go-to guy for being good at skills.
>>
>>52626634
Yes. I mean, as said up here >>52626618
It might be okay if you're actually physically beating them. Yet, in that case, you should really just be making attack rolls using strength until they decide to give in from more beating, you're not using intimidation at all, and if you are you're using charisma.

Charisma is used to sell things. You're selling your muscles. You'll have an easier time intimidating a weak gnome than a wizard with the same intimidation roll.

Yet, you won't be able to intimidate an ogre or something like up here >>52626609
because honestly 20 strength is piss nothing when you're a medium creature talking to, say, a larger creature.

Make it easier for barbarians to intimidate, but don't just say they replace their charisma with strength, that's just lazy and defeats the point of having a not-socially-awkward barbarian.

>>52626668
It shouldn't use strength, but I'd definitely agree with making it easier. However, 'bonus action' means that whenever you're not trying to rage / you're not frenzying / you don't have GWM/PAM going on, you basically just spam it all the time.
>>
>>52626724
It's a saving throw... Not an intimidation check.
>>
So what is the chance of getting two of the same number on Chaos Bolt?
>>
>>52626738
Whoops, my bad. Then yeah, there's no precedent for shifting abilities.
>>
intimidation is more about the force of personality being exuded by the person.

you can watch a body builder lift a fuckton or watch those karatemen chopping a bunch of bricks and not be intimidated at all, but the old fuck with the scar through the left eye and the bunch of tattoos glares at you and mumbles to his breath something you can't understand, there you might consider leaving the bar and speedwalking home.
>>
>>52626743
1/8 or 12.5%
>>
>>52626743
Technically the same chance as getting one of any given result (12.5% or 1/8).
>>
>>52626791
That's low. Why not just take Chromatic Orb instead of that shit?
>>
>>52626756
Thought that might have been it. Personally unless the Barbarian's close enough to tear someone's face off I wouldn't let them use Strength for Intimidation, if they're that close to a Wizard though he's going to be really wondering if he can Forcecage before being beaten to death.

I just feel like an ability that requires a Saving Throw should use one of a classes Primary or Secondary abilities and be changed in flavor to reflect that. I might make it only have a range of 5ft but use Strength in my games
>>
>>52626807
Probably for if you want to roleplay a truly mad sorcerer with no control over their powers. Some people just like leaving everything up to chance.
>>
>>52626807
For fun
>>
For a hexblade that's intended to be OP and the players and DM are okay with it, which is better:

1. Fighter 2/Warlock 10/Sorcerer 8
2. Fighter 2/Warlock 4/Sorcerer 14

ignoring how unlikely it is to reach those levels
>>
>tfw you probably can't even twin chaos bolt because it can potentially hit multiple targets
>>
>>52626807
People who are playing Wild Sorcerers are the kind who will hold on for the one time they manage to twin it and then critical hit both of them.
>>
>>52626854
Fighter2/Warlock2/Sorcerer16
OR, if feylock:
Fighter2/Warlock5/Sorcerer13
>>
>>52624076
>>
>>52626854
Ignore the fighter levels, those will just set you back.

Do Warlock 5/sorcerer X. Pick up cursebringer, that +1 weapon invocation, and Thirsting Blade.

Be sure you have 13 Cha, max Str and con, fuck off about caring about spells, just go to town with super-powered smites.
>>
I asked in a previous thread, but wondering if anyone has any temple maps?

They don't have to be super detailed. Looking more for inspiration than anything.
>>
>>52624055
>She's pulling down her pants because her tattoo matches a symbol on the statue

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>52626980
>Fighter levels
>Setback
>Gives you heavy armour + shield + defense style for total of 21 AC. Not that some of those aren't already granted by hexblade, but it's more than hexblade gets.
>10 starting HP, for a total of +1 over starting warlock or +2 over starting sorcerer, and also +1 per level over warlock or +2 over sorcerer. Total, compared to warlock2/sorcerer18: +5 HP.
>Action surge recharges on a short rest, for one eldritch blast volley that can be used even after a quickened eldritch blast. 2 levels of sorcerer gets you 1 quickened spell a long rest in comparison as a bonus action, though also more spell slots to convert and more spells known, higher spells, etc.
>Mostly that burstfire of eldritch blast though

Of course I'm not OP but I'm saying the best way to do it would be an eldritch blast build, because hexblade works just fine with eldritch blasts too.

Assuming they're not going for an eldritch blast build, they should probably ignore the fighter levels, yes.
>>
>>52626980
Why sorcerer when you could go hexblade 3 for cursebringer and 17 in bard? Bard nets you the extra attack by character level 9 if you go valor or swords, as well as more spell slots, battle magic, and magical secrets.
>>
>>52627117

Flexible Casting + Pact Magic.
>>
File: il_570xN.629491669_gj4b.jpg (81KB, 455x667px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.629491669_gj4b.jpg
81KB, 455x667px
>Make a simple farmer NPC who's basically Hank Hill in everything, but name.
>He's just supposed to hand out a quest
>Players love him so much that they eventually coordinate a political campaign to get him elected mayor.
>Have to do the Hank Hill voice like every fucking session now

I'm assuming something like this has happened to everyone at some point?
>>
>>52626917
Cancer levels of bad
>>
>>52627117
Stopping at 3 to go bard puts a damper on your damage output. Going 5 to get the +1 weapon and extra attack invocations will work better in the long run, since extra attack with greatsword damage will keep you competitive in melee.

And bard is a valid options after that. You get more HP and more utility and spells overall. Hexblade 3/sorcerer X is a decent build if you focus on quickened GFB/BB and twinned BB.
>>
File: stage105.png (29KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
stage105.png
29KB, 384x224px
So, here's a question. In the old Mystara beat-em-up, you fight a creature named "Dark Warrior", and then later "Dark Behometh". Most of the monsters in the game are pretty standard DnD ones- Beholders, Drow, Manticores, etc, but I'm curious as to whether these exist somewhere or if they were created by the game.
>>
>>52627217
Could be a Nightwalker, described as looking like a black skinned giant.
>>
>>52627146
Yeah I had an old cardinal the players took a liking too. Ended up killing him off because the scratchy old man voice was killing me.
>>
>>52627217
your mom and i used to play that haha
>>
So this came up in our last game, do DMs normally let someone go straight into a frenzy rage or do they have to rage and then frenzy after?
>>
>>52627299
just go right into it
>>
>>52627230
It's abilities include some kind of teleportation and lightning attacks, but that sounds pretty close. Thanks.
>>
>>52627299
Straight into Frenzy I'd say.
>>
>>52627299
'Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage.'

No action specified. It can be part of your bonus action to rage, or activated at any point during your rage without an action.
>>
>>52627299
Bonus action to rage AND frenzy (Where does it say it takes an extra bonus action to frenzy? I've had someone suggest that before)
However, that's your bonus action for that round and you have to wait another round to get an extra attack.
>>
is wiping your ass a bonus action
>>
>>52627146

>Some run-of-the-mill orc encounter gets shanghaied because one of the players got the idea of knocking one of them unconscious and interrogating him
>Use the WH40k Ork accent for him
>None of my players have an inkling about the setting, think it's the greatest shit ever
>They don't even kill the orc when they're done getting information out of him
>In fact, he's become a recurring midboss-type encounter for them, because every time he comes back with a new gang, they let him go again
>My players gave him a goddamned theme song, usually played after they hear the familiar cry of "OI, YOU LOT AGAIN?! GETTEM, BOYZ!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed9Npxq45Ro
>>
Anyone got an explanation how Spell Points system works with spells that use higher level to increase damage/effect?

Just set the +spell points for every level above? Like a 4th level Fireball would cost 6 instead of 5?
>>
>>52627314
>>52627320
>>52627328
>>52627333
That's what I thought and the way it was ruled, but one player tried to make the argument that you had to do one then the other.
>>
>>52627371
You expend the appropriate number of spells points for the level you cast the spell at.
>>
>>52627371
You spend spell points to create a spell slot, which you can then use to cast a spell. So to cast a 4th level fireball you'd spend the amount of spell points for a 4th-level slot which you'd immediately use to cast the spell.
>>
>>52627351
For you, a recharge: 6.
>>
How would a battlemaster/kensei fare compared to a pure battlemaster or pure monk? I love both their combat tracks and I'm having trouble deciding on class.
>>
New DM here.

I'm currently running Storm King's Thunder and I'm kind of confused as to how I'm supposed to run these giant sprawling invasions in the second chapter.

How am I supposed to map these out? How should I transition players from battle to battle, etc.
>>
As someone thinking about migrating over from Pathfinder to 5e, are the developers more incompetent and SJW than Paizo, or less?
>>
>>52627379
Why would a player ever EVER argue against their interests

Players amirite
>>
>>52626991
Try the yuan ti temple from rise of tiamat and the aztec temple from tales
>>
>>52627451
Kinda wondering this myself. I'm playing a Kensai/Spellless Ranger using Archery and so far have 1 Ranger and 1 Monk.

Thinking I'll go for another level of Ranger for 4 dice, then take Monk to 5 before taking another level in Ranger.

I'm just hoping the 4 Dice and the Deepstalker extra Attack make up for losing some levels of Monk.
>>
>>52624568
In theory sure but you really don't want players going nuh uh it says right here in the scag....
I'd allow it anyway because they're just going to read it later. Just try to remember on the fly changes you make (write that shit down, anon) and you'll be fine. What's in the scag anyway? I'm a huge fr buff from way back and I haven't perused it yet.
>>
>>52627474
Personal opinion here: Definitely more competent, about equal in SJW content (see PHB 121 under the Sex heading).
>>
>>52627507
Thanks, mate.
Off the top of your head do you know what chapters they're in?
It's cool if not.
>>
>>52627521
> multiclassing UA
why don't you just play nuclear druid? better damage, better utility.
>>
>>52627537

>tfw I don't know if a more competent but equally progressive company is better or worse than having a bumbling dumbie do the same thing
>>
>>52627554
Probably because one is clearly broken and his DM might just allow things on a case by case basis.
>>
>>52627561
I'd say it's better; having trans people or intersex elves be canon in your RPG doesn't really change anything until you get players that absolutely insist on playing them, and more to the point making that their entire character, rather than one defining trait.

As an example, I think playing a character that's trans, and goes out adventuring because they've heard stories of a 'cursed' Girdle of Gender Changing, is a fine motivation - but once they find it, they should have enough connection to the plot and the rest of the party to continue with the larger campaign.
>>
>>52627554
hyperbolic shitlord
>>
>>52627554
Because I'm playing the character I want and my DM said okay.

My character was a Monk in an monastery built into a giant mountain that tended to animals. So I said "Can I play a Kensai and multiclass Ranger for some wilderness stuff" and my DM thought it was cool.

You argument that allowing someone to multiclass UA will always lead to players picking the best option when people still play the PHB Beastmaster and enjoy themselves.

If you don't like it in your game it's fine though. You can shit all over your room and no one else has to enter if they annoy you.
>>
File: 1491711651115.png (494KB, 791x722px) Image search: [Google]
1491711651115.png
494KB, 791x722px
Is a UA gonna be released tomorrow?
>>
I've got a barbarian from a sort of Celtic inspired society and a rogue from a Germanic inspired society, how should I get them together? They're my PCs
>>
>>52627642

Weren't Germanics famous for raiding Celtic shores and shipping the villagers into slavery? It was a very famous portion of European History, you've probably heard of it, the BARBARY CORSAIRS.
>>
>>52627622
Good on you. As a DM sometimes I wish players would take an interest enough in their characters to propose homebrew/UA stuff for me to review. I want players to play what they want to play. So many people seem to treat it like a videogame without realizing you can patch anything you don't like/update until your hearts content.
>>
>>52627661
>>52627661

The rogue is going to be outlawed from his tribe, aka kill on sight, so I was thinking about having the celtic barbarian being the last of his raiding group alive and having them have to band together to survive somehow, but I can't think of a good way to make them want to do so.
>>
Considering Mystics don't require somantics or verbals, would it be fair to assume a player could get away with mind-murdering someone in broad daylight?
>>
>>52627661
The Barbary Corsairs were North African.
>>
How do I change spell-casting in 5e to work in a more unpredictable, dangerous, and unique way like it did in the original editions/OSR stuff?
>>
>>52627778
Require a proficiency check that scales by spell level to cast spells, make a spellfailure table to roll on when it fails.
>>
>>52627778
When casting an arcane spell, make an Arcana check equal to 10 + the level of the spell slot being expended. If you fail the check, Things Happen
>>
>>52627799
Spell failure is a neat idea. I wouldn't want to overcomplicate combat, however.

I've seen some people talk about removing offensive cantrips in order to regain the 'magic' of spell casting, but I'm not sure what I would do to balance that out.
>>
>>52625066
Fr's alignment does not work differently in any way. If anything, fr can be extremely nuanced in that regard, more so than other settings. Blame the novels because they're not restrained by a codex of rules.
Also to those timid anons who ventured comments about dragonlance & drizzt and co. kudos to you! Sometimes we sorta forget about the things that got us into this hobby. Don't be embarrassed about something so awesome and amazing. Tg generals aren't hugboxes by any means but it is anti hip to declare what you love about something.
>look Raist, bunnies...
I could go on and on! Don't tempt me, /tg/!
>>
>>52627778
How did you get under the impression that OSR spellcasting is unpredictable or dangerous

Really, you need to expand on this concept further, because right now I can't help but feel you want to add wacky random miscast tables and because you don't have any particularly good gameplay reasons to justify doing this, you want to justify your decision by appealing to an entirely imaginary sort of of 'old school' gaming
>>
>>52627902
Not him, but our DM has done it before, in limited amounts. Like if we are near a powerful artifact or something very powerful, spellcasting goes awry because the Weave is warped, or something. It's kinda fun.
>>
>>52625949
>Letting this happen

He can suck it up
>>
>>52627920
Warped magic as an environmental hazard is totally in line with OSR, mainly as an excuse to keep high levels from just bypassing dungeons magically

But that's not a feature of spellcasting, it's a feature of dungeon design
>>
Can a wizard summon a woodland fay nymph or something and fuck her then dismiss her? Also, when you summon something, are they actual individuals pulled from a distant plane and they're like "wtf where am I" or is it like MtG where you create kind of a copy or image out of magic based on a template
>>
For a level 1 campaign, starting fresh in a new world, how is having a bulletin board where people in town posts contracts and jobs?

Seems like a fine solution to give the players stuff to do (with everyone's favorite motivation, cash), and can sprinkle in some of the grander stuff later on. Or perhaps, during the jobs.

Just stuff like people willing to pay people to go find out what happened to their brother, clear out the goblin infestation under the bridge, etc. Simple level 1 stuff?
>>
>>52627364
Love this so much
>>
what 5 languages are most useful
>>
>>52628052
It would imply that there's a bulletin board, and there are adventurers (read: People with too much time) in the area willing to take on potentially dangerous tasks for said system to exist. It's not very organic, but sometimes that might be the only solution that whoever's looking for hires have.
>>
File: WoodyLaughing.jpg (24KB, 274x237px) Image search: [Google]
WoodyLaughing.jpg
24KB, 274x237px
>>52625653
>People who steal petty change are wracked with guilt

>mfw i take coins whenever i see them and feel nothing

Am I just an amoral sociopath?
>>
>>52628083
5 is a lot. I'm assuming you're not including common.

Although it depends on the setting, some of my favourites are:
- Undercommon
- Elven
- Abyssal/ Infernal
- Goblin
- Sylvan
>>
>>52628083
orc
>>
File: tuvCN6-E.jpg (114KB, 1049x1049px) Image search: [Google]
tuvCN6-E.jpg
114KB, 1049x1049px
>>52628098
I hate the idea of forcing a plot hook on my players even though its rather common practice. I still do it often, but it just doesn't sit right always. Sometimes it just seems kinda par for the course to have some dude come up to them and "introduce the plot".

> and there are adventurers (read: People with too much time) in the area willing to take on potentially dangerous tasks for said system to exist

True. The starting location is a small village along the beaten path in the woods, sort of in the middle of several larger towns and cities.
>>
>>52628040
Wizard can't summon Fey.

Also as far as I can tell it depends on the spell. Conjure Elementals feels like it would be making copies but some spells like Conjure Lesser Demons seems to imply they're actual demons you're summoning. They attack you and everything.
>>
>>52628040
Your DM choose what come out from summon spell, so instead of a cute Dryad you might get a Buff Bara Darkling (if they are within the same CR range)
>>
>>52627902
I just used the term because I thought it might help describe the style I'm shooting for. Admittedly I have no hands-on experience with retro-clones or even older editions. I've researched them though, and I like the idea that wizards are glass-cannons, and that magic is chaotic and deadly to the caster and everyone else involved, at low levels and high levels. I would like to change the way it works mechanically to reflect that.
>>
>>52627848
Replace offensive cantrips with buff cantrips. Instead of doing the damage directly, they have to imbue a weapon with the cantrip then attack. Or enchant an allies next attack, or curse an enemy so the next attack they take is increased
>>
Starting a new game soon played but never gm'ed. Partys got a notorious munchkin in the group with a lust for the spotlight(Hes really not a bad roleplayer and comes up with some interesting characters but he's autistically compulsed to minmax)

Whats the most bullshit level 1 encounter i can throw at a party without being actively malicious/rocks fall

Thinking about a wight with a low health total(party will come upon him having just finished slaying an intrepid npc party and he'll be wounded)
>>
>>52628227
Four players i should add
>>
>>52628227
>bullshit encounter at level 1

Are you trying to kill this player or something? Hmm.

The players come across the corpses of a similar, 4 man party. Doesn't matter where. The road works, or maybe the forest. If the munchkin goes to loot their bodies, their swords will animate and attack.

Party vs 4 Flying Swords
>>
Okay I have a retarded that guy subhuman gamist mongrel how do I convince him that
1. 5e is perfect (it is)
2. To stop trying to make us (read force) play other systems like GURPS (more like BLOAT)
He also wants us to use homerules 'to give martials more options" like wtf??? They are OP and good enough as is not the system fault he is a retard gamist.
>>
>>52628214
Do it like Shadowrun and have casters resist damage whenever they cast a spell. Make the damage based on the spell slot used.
>>
>>52627778
>>52628214
Make all spellcasters wild magic sorcerers.
>>
>>52628278
Not really trying to kill someone. I want to set up a risky fight, one they think they can win(and they can, with some good luck) but one theyll probably have to flee from if they dont want to take losses

I want to humble that munchkin motherfucker.
>>
File: act3.jpg (218KB, 600x522px) Image search: [Google]
act3.jpg
218KB, 600x522px
>2 years stuck on a horrible tropical island with on scarce civilization
>players about to teleport home
>"everybody ready?"
>chaotic stupid player known for antics gets a big grin on his face
>"I WANT TO HIT UP THE BAR FIRST"
>he heads off to the bar
>gets drunk off his fucking rocker
>hits on like 4 dudes there
>gets in a bar fight that results in someone losing their hand
>as he is walking out, he casts bonfire directed on the alcohol kegs
>the entire place burns down and he kills several people in the process
>party cant fucking believe this shit
>i cant fucking believe this shit
>townsfolk begin trying to put out the fire and apprehend chaotic stupid player
>they decide to take him to the swirling maelstrom in town as a death sentence
>our druid casts hold person on our chaotic stupid player and lets them take him
>they fucking toss his ass in the maelstrom
>"what the fuck guys, why didn't you help me?"
>pouts for the rest of the night

How were your latest sessions, /5eg/?
>>
>>52628214
>I have no hands-on experience with retro-clones or even older editions. I've researched them though
>magic is chaotic and deadly to the caster and everyone else involved, at low levels and high levels.

I think you researched Warhammer Fantasy Battle or whatever the warhammer system is called. Magic in OD&D was very specific, very useful, and very limited, not a Rod Of Wonder stapled to the wizard.

The main difference was that low level wizards had very few spells per day. No spamming cantrips for ray of frost or whatever, no grab-bag of bonus spells from a bloated intelligence score, just a few highly specific spells that did one thing, and did that thing VERY well.

So when your first level wizard cast Sleep, it was a big deal because that was all he could really do.And the sleep spell worked, and it worked great- it didn't randomly summon penguins or light the party on fire, because if it did, that would mean the party would die.

So again, what's your endgame? Why do you think changing magic from a useful tool into a mix of GM fiat and random tables is a good idea? Are your players 'abusing' magic and you want to nerf it? Would you rather just have a bunch of fighters and have magic be something for items and NPCs? Have you tried not playing D&D? Do you feel 'magic' is not wondrous and 'magical' enough without being random?
>>
>>52628346
4 Flying Swords will humble the fuck out of them, I promise you.
>>
>>52628363
Your druid is a true hero.
>>
>>52628394
>hero
*homo
>>
>>52628363
>>52628394
>>
>>52628410
Homos can be Heroes too.
>>
>>52628410
*homo heroicus
>>
What is a good class for dungeon crawl campaign? I assume we will have limited rest and supply.

No UA allow, WotC book only.

Maybe some sort of Warlock multiclass?
>>
>>52628363
I'm pretty jealous honestly. Anymore stories about this chaotic stupid person?
>>
>>52628424
>dungeon crawl campaign
>no tunnel fighter

Man, that sucks.
>>
>>52628428
samefag
>>
>>52628287
Tell him to go DM another group

>>52628484
Why are there always random assholes calling samefag whenever someone shares stories?
>>
File: file.png (82KB, 684x837px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
82KB, 684x837px
>>52628428
Sure, but a lot of times it just him trying to fuck people.

>chaotic stupid is a dwarf
>been with the same party for years
>comically racist towards elves
>tends to even push elves over in the center of town if he sees one
>one of our party member is an elf
>always constant conflict
>flash forward to traversing tunnels under a Yuan-Ti camp
>accidentally step right into a Behir lair
>everybody fucking books it
>chaotic stupid player sprints for the hoard calling everyone else a pussy
>grabs one of the NPC's and uses him as a meat shield
>he gets fucking toasted
>spend the next four sessions trying to find anybody who could help us and possibly create a potion of reincarnation
>eventually manage to get our hands on one
>go back to reincarnate him
>polymorph the behir and retrieve some of his bones/body left on the ground
>reincarnate him
>a fucking wood elf
>proceeds to have an existential crisis and little dialogue for a few hours
>>
So is it bad that my ;evel 5 Bugbear Deepstalker can launch out to do 3 Greatsword swings for a total of 11d6+12 damage on a Hunter's Mark target? Also at level 8 with GWM I can add 30 damage to all that.

I feel like Deepstalker makes a better Assassin then the Assassin.
>>
Can I switch out mystic's bonus discipline out with other discipline at higher level?

I mean.. bard can switch out their magical secret (albiet only with bard spell) too right?
>>
>>52628519
They might be retarded.

>>52628535
Thanks, my groups hardly ever get off the ground so reading other's experiences is the next best thing. Shit like this barely flies because when things go bad people get salty quick.
>>
File: Finalcircles.gif (14KB, 361x361px) Image search: [Google]
Finalcircles.gif
14KB, 361x361px
starting of a new campaign. im gonna try to trick the players with a cursed monolith that gives anyone a magical but minor boon thats randomly determined from a table im making. the catch is that each one has a detrimental side effect.

i only have a few so far but im looking for something useful at low lvls but still potentially just as hindering. Heres what i got so far...

sentinel arm: any melee weapon of your choice appears in your hand on will free of action. Cant physically let go of weapon if you are near any potentially dangerous creatures, even if they dont intend to harm you.

lead bow: a +1 longbow appears in your hand free of action. if a enemy moves 5ft of you, the bow becomes unbearably heavy,cant be unhanded, your speed in halved, and attacks against you have advantage.

chaotic magnetism: choose one type of damage besides slashing,piercing,and bludgeoning. you can use a free hand and bonus action to make a ranged spell attack + your proficiency bonus to hit, dealing 1d4 of the chosen damage on hit. you gain vulnerability to the same damage."also i was thinking each one includes a small feature. fire can light/snuff out campfires,toarches. psychic can use telekinesis with a 5 pound limit. ect..."

silver tongue: charisma permanently increases by 1. you can only intentionaly lie or mislead once a day,beyond that you are incapable of doing so.

would like to hear any suggestions or changes you guys got.
>>
>>52628424
Conjuration wizard would be my pick. Being able to conjure mundane objects without limit is exceptionally useful in dungeon crawls, in my opinion. Furthermore, wizards are straight-up one of the best support classes in the game. You don't need to aim for damage at all when you can provide utility and problem-solving, all of which are crucial in serious, challenging dungeon crawls.
>>
>>52628689
Does healer feat work with a conjure Healer's kit?
>>
So is Flame Arrows pretty much worthless compared to Hunter's Mark?
>>
>>52628792
That's a trash option unless your party will never get higher than level 3. The healing just isn't worth it.

Leave the healing to other classes. If you're trying to figure out a good feat to take, I'd consider taking Lucky, War Caster or Skilled.
>>
>>52628855
Unlimited use of being able to bring people up from 0 to 1 is pretty useful though. All those martials can zombie rush without worry.
>>
>>52628911
If you're really concerned about being able to pinch heal, bang for your buck I'd still say you'd be better off grabbing Magic Initiate and Healing Word. Ranged heal as a bonus action.

I think it's a waste of resources myself considering that you'd be MUCH better off focusing on preventing damage rather than healing people after they've died, but do what you will.
>>
Can minor conjuration create food? Would the nutrient disappear after an hour?
>>
>>52628941
I've ruled yes, but if your party relies on it for sustenance they'll take the first level of Exhaustion as if they were starving themselves.

DC 15 perception to realize that what you're eating is conjured.
>>
>>52628962
> DC 15 for something that is glowing and obviously magical

Are you one of those shitty DM whonever bother reading the rule but want "muh gritty grim dark reality"?
>>
>>52629069
There's literally a spell that allows magic-users to create REAL, nourishing food that tastes bland.

I'd say it would probably be difficult for anyone who isn't versed in magic to tell the difference between conjured (fake) food and conjured (real) food.
>>
>>52629106
> he still didn't read the rule on minor conjuration
>>
>>52629133
So what if it's obviously magical?

You could literally watch one wizard conjure up fake food with Minor Conjuration and know that it's magic and next to him watch a cleric cast Create Food and Water.

Both foods are obviously magical because you just watched the guy make them out of thin air. One is a single loaf of glowing bread and the other is a buffet. I'd wager that someone with no magical experience would be guessing at which one is the real food and which one is false, but by EATING one of them and being smart, they could figure it out.

Is that really a stretch?
>>
>>52629149
>Is that really a stretch?
it disappears in your belly
>>
File: this patron is lewd.pdf (882KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
this patron is lewd.pdf
882KB, 1x1px
Rate my lewd homebrew.

inb4 'the level 14 ability is save or die!' It's a melee ability that's gated behind 2 failed saves and stopped by charm immunity - any creature that fails all that shit deserves to die.
>>
>>52629156
After an hour. Or in your mouth, if chewing causes damage.
>>
>>52629159
My Review of this Homebrew for You: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1h7h4aAaxZO
>>
>>52629159
I'd just make the lvl 14 it do something like Disintegrate or Finger of Death. 7d8+30 on a failed save or half as much on a passed is a lot more reasonable than fail=0 pass=10d10
>>
>>52629205
moderate kek

>>52629208
I based it on quivering palm, but that works just as well, I'll think about it.
>>
>>52629149
Eating wouldn't be perception check. It would be either arcana or investigation. You are just bullshiting yournway thrugh your mistake now.

>>52629156
Would it though? It you conjure a sword and cut your enemy, the wound wouldn't disappear when the sword does right? One hour might not be enough to digest everything though...

>>52629167
Damage is a specific game term involving the loss of hp.
>>
>>52629208
Disintegrate is save for null.
>>
>>52629232
>You are just bullshiting yournway thrugh your mistake now.
Except it's just a ruling I made up because the book doesn't have specific rules for determining whether or not things are magical when you put them in your mouth. There's no mistake made, that's just how I view things.

It would be an Arcana check to know off the top of your head how Minor Conjuration and Create Food differ from one another. That check wouldn't even require you to put either foodstuff in your mouth.

Investigation would only be rolled if the player ACTIVELY tries to determine whether or not the food is real when they go to eat it. Investigation requires active searching.

A Perception check would be best if the player isn't actively trying to figure it out, but their character might notice when they go to eat it. Passively, without any effort or attempt.
>>
Do you guys steal from other players' characters if they're absent from the game? My crew usually does it to these two other members who never let us know in advance if they're showing up or not. Usually just a few gold coins or so. Last week I took some scrolls from them (which I had given them prior). I felt he'd learn he wouldn't be able to cast any of them (error on my part, but fits my character!) and worried that he'd just sell them.

Playing a clueless sorcerer is fun.
>>
>>52629263
What about Passive Investigation Anon? Its an official skill check. EXPLAIN THAT.
>>
>>52629274
I'd use Passive Investigation if the players had specified earlier that they're looking out for something specific over the course of a longer search.

"I want to keep my eyes peeled for scuff marks while we search this house."

They're investigating for something, but it's an on-going search. It's no longer within the realm of just casual perception, but the object of a targeted searching. Their mind may be elsewhere at a given moment however, so it's more of a passive investigation than an active one.
>>
File: PaladinCap.png (373KB, 740x284px) Image search: [Google]
PaladinCap.png
373KB, 740x284px
Do I add double my charisma bonus to charisma saves with Aura of Protection?
>>
>>52629353
Yes.
>>
>>52629353
Yeah.
>>
File: 1484969814358.jpg (6KB, 285x300px) Image search: [Google]
1484969814358.jpg
6KB, 285x300px
>>52629205
>>
>>52625820
Lore Bard lacks shield proficiency
>>
Is there any reason why the following wouldn't work?

>Rogue (with spells)
>Receive Haste from Wizard
>Rogue turn
>Normal Action to Booming Blade, Sneak Attack
>Haste Action to Normal Attack
>Bonus Action to dual wield attack

I think it should (Haste only lets you attack, not cast spells, so the normal attack has to go in the haste slot, but that still allows for a bonus action attack, right?) but I wanted to check.
>>
>>52629159
It's shit.
>>
>>52624686
>A mystic
>>
>>52629205
Do more tard reviews.
>>
>>52629490
i do them from time to time
>>
>>52629441
Can be simplified as "Can I utilize Two-Weapon Fighting when hasted?"

And the answer is yes. Its an Action with restrictions. You still only have one bonus action to play with. If you're concerned about it being OP, don't be. Be more concerned with what might happen if your Wizard loses concentration, leaving you to skip a turn between 2 very angry orcs.
>>
>>52629159
It's a bit on the weak side. The only thing going for it is the level 14 ability and the Love's Betrayal Invocation - but the invocation shouldn't be necessary to make the patron worthwhile.

I suggest giving the damage bonus from charming as a level 6(?) ability, either in addition to the existing one or in its place.

Currently it's just the "charm people" class, and charm isn't that useful by itself anyway, especially when a significant number of enemies are resistant or immune to it. And it's useless in its current form outside of combat.
>>
>>52629528
Cool stuff. I thought it should, but often when you're combining multiple effects there's some reason why it doesn't all work together.

Cheers.
>>
>>52629298
Congratulations, that is the exact opposite use of passive skills than what is intended.
They are PASSIVE. If the players say they're looking for something, they're rolling.
>>
>>52629441
It work but you're wasting that haste. You could get 2 sneak attack off if you use your reaction to attack off turn.
>>
>>52629392
> Fighter 1
Are you alright anon? You might need to get some sleep
>>
>>52629549
Yeah there's always some confusion with Haste. even when it says that you can't take any "actions" when you're paralyzed at the end. It doesn't say, but that applies to everything your character can do. You cant take Actions, bonus actions, moves, or reactions. I guess you can still make saving throws though. Dex too, even though that would be weird
>>
>>52629614
> the target can’t move or take actions until after its next turn

There is nothing in there that prevent you from taking reaction anon. Stop houseruling weird stuff in.
>>
What would the CR increase be if a creature has permanent haste?
>>
Anyone make a weapon that enhances your fist rather than a regular weapon? Monk player wants something that involves his fists rather than a quarterstaff so I was thinking about giving him a cestus but I'm wondering how to stat it. 1d6 bludgeoning and finesse sound good?
>>
>>52629614
>collapses down into a heap as the spell wears off
>incoming Fireball
>does a double backflip out of the way of the most fire
>collapses again

>>52629601
Holy shit. Until you said that I didn't realise you could do two sneak attacks a round, I thought once per turn meant every time you get a turn your SA count resets, but research has revealed the truth to me. That's exciting.
>>
>>52629656
Yeah, Monks get scaling unarmed attacks anyway, so he's not going to notice much of an actual difference at 1d6, it just means he gets a level 5 attack strength before that, if he's a lower level. Finesse could be useful if he's going Dex. I don't know if that would do long term harm, I haven't played much Monkery.
>>
>>52629159
>if they succeed, they instead take 10d10 psychic damage, which may kill the anyway
>which may kill them anyway

If you want to give off the tight ass intellectual feel, like Wizards does, I'd remove the last bit.
>>
Am i correct in thinking you can use the bonus action shove from shield mastery before you actually attack?

That seems almost too good
>>
>>52629677
Yes.

It isn't too good.
>>
>>52629677
What's so good about that?
>>
>>52629601
Wait, question - why is that a waste of Haste?

Can't you do what I described and then use a reaction as normal anyway?
>>
>>52629680
>>52629685
Athletics proficiency and strength bonus makes your shoves very likely to work and giving yourself(and allies of course) advantage against most creatures is huge. Even more if you have a wizard willing to cast enlarge on you.

And thats not even the entire feat.
>>
Why won't druids use metal armor and shit?

Why are druids so fucking gay?
>>
>>52629703
If they touch metal they explode.
>>
>>52629689
Yes, but you can specifically use your Haste action to attack, and then your normal action to Hold and give an easy to trigger condition like the enemy attacking, or another ally attacking the enemy.
>>
>>52629723
So why don't you just haste attack, bonus action extra attack, hold action to cast booming blade/Green Flame blade?
>>
>>52629703
Just follow mielikki and its ok to wear armour.
>>
Why you need to use licorice to cast haste? Why the actual fuck.
>>
>>52629740
That's... what I just described?

The problem with your sequence

>Rogue turn
>Normal Action to Booming Blade, Sneak Attack
>Haste Action to Normal Attack
>Bonus Action to dual wield attack

Is that your reaction can't be an Opportunity Attack with Booming Blade unless you take the Warcaster feat, and that barring ally intervention a Rogue's only source of reaction attacks is an enemy in melee range moving away without disengaging - by using the Ready action, it can be if they move, period, or as I said trigger on the enemy attacking, or an ally attacking.
>>
>>52629958
Oh I'm not >>52629441 I just misunderstood the statement my mistake anon.
>>
Is there a fillable pdf or something that everyone uses to write homebrewed classes in? I'm not able to find anything worthwhile - mostly just online stuff, and I'd rather not use a Word document.
>>
>>52629702
Except if you have range attacker in your party, you just give them disadvantage instead.
>>
>>52624141
So they were a Fighter/Bard which had the lvl 7 EK feature at the start.
>>
>>52624055
>What are some things you miss from previous editions?
4E elemental monks.

They jumped too much on the Avatar-fanwagon when they made the elemental monk in this edition.
>>
>>52630001
There's a site that everyone uses for a template. Homebrewery or something
>>
>>52624199
LvL 1-4?
Thief with healers kit and herbalist kit to make potions.
>>
>>52630307
Thanks! Guess I'll have to learn how to use it.
>>
New thread.
>>
Holy Water is pure 2d6 damage with no modifier right?

Since it's treat as an improvised weapon, does that mean I don't get to add my proficiency on it?
>>
>>52630457
Pretty sure, yeah.
>>
>>52630457
I think it's the same with any bottled stuff. None of it really resembles a weapon, so no proficiencies can really apply.
>>
>>52624910
>Neutral good folk will fucking tear off your scalp, cut off your ears and nose, blind you then chop off your feet and hands and leave you in the street
No they won't. LG is eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth if playing medieval. If doing modern standards its due process. NG is mercy and redemption. CG is ones' own conscious and freedom. LG might execute poor farmers turned to banditry. NG would likely spare them and CG would likely try to help them out. Contrarily, if facing slavers LG would likely just stop them unless they're enslaving good or innocent people. NG would send them off to whatever prison while CG would definitely execute them for such a terrible breach of personal freedom and self-determination.
>>
>>52629860
Dont you know?

Licorice is a natural source of Haste for your poop.
>>
New bread?
>>
Is there any spell that's more effective against constructs than other spells?
>>
>>52631060
Maybe Shatter and a Forge Cleric would help.
>>
>>52627146
Every time a Dwarf NPC shows up.
How can a race be so consistently bro-tier?
>>
>>52628113
Yes.
>>
>>52628363
You are now aware that alcoholic FUMES burn, the booze itself will douse any flames. Setting a fire under a bunch of kegs won't accomplish anything. The moment the liquid heats up enough that the wood can't be cooled and burns through, the liquid pours out and extinguishes everything.

It's actually the same with gasoline and compressed propane in its liquid form. The liquid inside boils off and escapes a pressure valve until eventually there's not enough liquid left in the tank to cool the metal, and it melts and the massive amount of gas inside is now exposed and erupts like a flame. If you were to poke a hole in the bottom though, chances are you'd put the fire out unless it was large.

Bonfire spell vs. kegs of ale, even hard liquor? Naw. Fire loses that one.
>>
>>52626668
I don't think the ability is fine, but I also don't think Cha is a dump stat. Well, Barbarians are rather SAD, not to the degree of the fighter/rogue, but farther along than many others. I know the 16/16/16/8/8/8 barbarian is popular, but is that really optimal? You can have AC 16 naked. Or you can wear a breastplate and have AC 16 naked. Or half-plate and AC 17. What did you gain from this?
>>
>>52626807
>No one gives the real answer.
Because you aren't casting Chromatic Orb at level 1, and these are starter spells.
>>
Oh god oh shit oh god

I have a session coming in about two hours and I've had zero chances to prep anything. The party's supposed to go explore an area that was supposedly used for burials in the past, but later abandoned. There's something going on in there now, so they were asked to investigate. Naturally, it's going to be undead and shit.

Does anyone know of any stuff I could just steal? I was supposed to have time to prep for this, but then work happened. The party's level 5.

tl;dr: Give me an adventure with a gravesite full of undead fuckers that's somewhere around level 5.
>>
>>52631462
Quick?
Steal deathhouse and sprinkle skeletons there.
Add shambling mounds.
>>
>>52631462
kys
>>
>>52628855
>1d6+4+level healing to everyone in your party, and anyone you meet, every rest
>Trash
There's a special layer of hell for your kind of stupid.
>>
>>52631527
I'm not seeing any reason to waste a feat on that.
Don't you have HD for short rests?
>>
>>52629600
Passive doesn't mean the characters aren't doing it. If you're not keeping an eye out for danger because you're distracted by foraging, tracking, mapping, or navigating, you don't get passive perception. Passive ability checks has a description. Read it and banish your idiocy.
>>
>>52631546
People suggest wasting a feat on Tough. Healer is millions of times better than Tough.
>>
>>52631546
Look at it this way. At level 10, you have 10 hit dice. If you have a +2 con modifier, that's 10d8+20 HP on a rogue, which you recover 5d8+10 on a long rest. 65 HP, refilling 32.5 on a long rest.

At level 10, Healer recovers 1d6+14 HP to each person in your party, each rest, short or long. That's 17.5 just for yourself. 52.5 if you have two short rests a day. Per person. You just have to keep around healer's kits.

+2 Con for +1 modifier would give you +10 more max hp, +10 more hit dice healing, for a total of +15 more potential healing per long rest for yourself only.
>>
>>52631462

Adventure's league, season of Curse of Strahd will have your back here.

If not, the Argynvost Holt chapter of the same book will do
>>
>>52631624
Well, tough gains some appeal if you go Bear Barbarian
>>
new thread
>>52629819
>>52629819
>>
>>52624253
kek
>>
>>52631825
dude tricked
>>
>>52631825
>new thread
>drawthread
>>
>>52631825
For a second I thought the new 5eg OP wouldn't be full of faggotry
>>
>>52631807
It really doesn't.
>>
>>52631862
>>52631848
>>
>>52631941
>>52631941
Thread posts: 426
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.