[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 397
Thread images: 55

File: Bugbearmont.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bugbearmont.png
1MB, 1024x768px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Starter-Spells.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: A Trio of Subclasses
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

> /5eg/ Mega Trove
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52614640

What are the memest builds of 5e aside from bugbearmont and sonic tabaxi?
>>
File: 1489812685966.jpg (99KB, 767x563px) Image search: [Google]
1489812685966.jpg
99KB, 767x563px
Druids
are
GHEY!
>>
>>52620083
Nuclear Druid, of course.
>>
>>52620083
forcecage wizard personaly
>>
>>52620083
lucky halfling divinition wizard
>>
>>52620083
Fighter sorlock, abjuration wizardlock, GWM+SS Crossbow Melee Clubber, Netfighter, Horsecaster, Shadow Sorcerer UA Multiclass Abuse
>>
>>52620083

Bladelock Champion or Frenzy barb a guy insists is good if you "Know to play it"
>>
what's a bugbearmont?
>>
>>52620265
ask your mom haha
>>
>>52620265
Bugbears have a "Long Arms" trait that grants them an extra 5 feet of reach on attacks. Whips increase that further, if I remember correctly. So you can do semi-ranged smites. Hence, bugbearmont.
>>
>>52620286
but... why a spoon, cousin?
>>
>>52620179
Horsecaster?
>>
Give me plothooks for greek adventures
>>
>>52620100
Anon, it's not gay to be into prostate stimulation.

Or to use a wooden buttplug.

Or to want a strong sturdy pine tree to put his long, hard branch inside you.
>>
>>52620265
Bugbear assassin with a slightly tweaked battlemaster ability probably from multiclass that instead of pushing 15ft pulls 15ft.

Hide somewhere, attack at 15ft and pull target in and use assassin+bugbear ambush ability to kill them in one go.

>>52620303
Find steed allows a spell that targets you to also target your horse, thus allowing duplication of certain spells.
>>
>>52620311
Hercules sidekicks
Go and kill a hydra etc
>>
>>52620281
haha
>>
File: Majima Trauma.png (118KB, 158x285px) Image search: [Google]
Majima Trauma.png
118KB, 158x285px
>>52620301
What did you just call me?
>>
>>52620311
A satyr has an anal disease
... that only semen can cure
>>
>>52620311
Define "Greek".
>>
Which would you rather slog through with your party at lv6?

> Zombie apocalypse that can only be stopped by closing a portal to the negative plane that rests inside a flying pyramid

> Kaiju apocalypse where Tarrasque and other shit awaken and begin destroying everything and each other

> Eldrazi titan awakening

Current setting is a mix between Warhammer Fantasy, Faerun, and old school Japanese RPGs.
>>
>>52620083
what is best amazon product for dry erase maps?

And any recommendations on cheap, high quantity miniature bundles?
>>
>>52620361
Probably zombies, because zombies have pretty distinct weaknesses and strengths, players can do stuff to prevent zombies rising after death, etc.
>>
File: 1491563458063.jpg (190KB, 739x1030px) Image search: [Google]
1491563458063.jpg
190KB, 739x1030px
>>52620311
You know about the Odyssey, right?
Use Circe. There's an island in the middle of nowhere that nobody ever returns from- Maybe someone important to the PC's goes missing, or they're hired to investigate. There's a witch/oracle/whoever and some magic shenanigans going on
>>
>>52620361
The second.
Zombies are absolutely boring shit to fight 99% of the time.

Zombie in movies: A thing you kill in one hit that, if it grapples you, dooms you in one hit
Zombies in RPGs: A slow fucking blob of hit points that slowly depletes your hit points.

Likewise something homebrew BBEGy probably isn't going to be able to be taken on til the end of the game and is probably going to have all sorts of weird, clashing weaknesses.
>>
File: black dragon.jpg (4MB, 3290x2471px) Image search: [Google]
black dragon.jpg
4MB, 3290x2471px
So you can't put a bag of holding or a portable hole into one another, but can you put portals to another plane inside?
My character is an artificer with a bag of holding who enjoys botany. Could I get some sort of jar that serves as a portal to the Inner Plane of Mud (water/earth), throw it inside my bag of holding, and have like a portable biome to store plants?
>>
>>52620311
An Oracle's powers have faded, the last thing she foresaw was destruction of some sort and the people need her powers back to prevent disaster.
The forestry industry has pushed dryads too far and they've started killing people in the woods indiscriminately.
>>
I'm trying to make a new character for my group who all stoutly refuse to take the game seriously, and I thought of a Warforged who's trying to convince everybody that he's human despite having an abysmal deception skill.
His name is "Dan Made of Flesh"
The problem is that I don't know what class I want to play him as. Nothing that requires a positive charisma bonus, so no Paladin, Sorceror, Warlock, or Bard. I think if I go Ranger I could convince my DM to let me use a Commoner or Bandit as a pet, as just a guy he keeps around to help convince people that he's a fellow human.
Any thoughts?
>>
>>52620440
Not them, but if they're sane enough to spice it up, things like skeletons will be in there since it's basically automatic animate dead, and they're hardly tanks. Honsetly, normal zombies are hardly tanks either. However, they make up for it in numbers. The party might have to think creatively to hold back a horde of zombies and take them at a more managable pace.

And some of the spirits that inhabit more powerful bodies could play smart.

Really, it depends on how shit OP is.
>>
>>52620466
Battlemaster Fighter. Be cold and calculating in fighting.
>>
>>52620530
>>52620440

I was thinking of doing that scenario similar to L4D or World War Z (Novel, not the movie).

Plot wise I was taking notes from Nazi Zombies and just have some evil being controlling them or have them the preferred minions of some Cthulhu-lite monster.
>>
How often have you seen people play half-elves for a reason other than their stats?
>>
>>52620540
That's a good idea.
I was also poking around the UA and thought about going in the opposite direction with a Drunken Master Monk, the idea being that he was brain-damaged in some way in his backstory and now thinks that he's a human, as well as being wobbly and disjointed in combat.
>>
File: anime throughout history.png (302KB, 490x457px) Image search: [Google]
anime throughout history.png
302KB, 490x457px
>>52620637
Could be that he thinks every other human is malfunctioning and it's his duty to fix them and lead by virtue of his combat ability. It's like the sit com where the retarded kid shows the adults what they're doing wrong, basically.
>>
>>52620613
How often do we see people play Variant Human for reasons other than their extra feat?
>>
>>52620530
Its still a bunch of stuff that locks you up in melee forever, has low damage for its hit points, and turns a fight into an attrition contest. Battling zombies should be fast paced, but in RPGs its the most protracted slugfest imaginable.

The only thing interesting or compelling about D&D zombies & skeletons (as a combat encounter) is that they are controlled by the necromancer (or whatever), so you have at least *one* interesting enemy on the other team. If you get bogged down in hand to hand, you'd better settle in for a long winter's nap. But if they're controlled by a wizard or whatever, there's one interesting thing there, that you'd better figure out how to wiggle your way around the zombies to get at him or you're fucked.

Also interesting is the way that a party with a paladin and a cleric can probably scatter a lot of them, so they've gotta kill their master before they recover.

My favorite take on undead are spellcasting undead, like liches, vassaliches, quasimancers, krags and t'liz in 2e -- they can be dispatched easily enough (unless they have good defensive spells), IF you commit to melee ASAP. Not quite the same thing, but for an undead apocalypse in a magical world, you need magical undead. Zombies are okay for a muggle world, not so much for D&Dland.
>>
>>52620311
Earthquakes ravage the land, the heroes must try and work out if it's Poseidon, Gaia, Typhon, or any number of other beings causing it.

Oh, and maybe slay a dragon.
>>
>>52620323
>Find steed allows a spell that targets you to also target your horse, thus allowing duplication of certain spells.
Specifically, its a meme because people can't fucking read, and decided that target of self is the same as range of self, and kept insisting that cone of cold could originate from both you and the horse for memedamage, and thus was Bardic Horsecasting. It stopped showing up when it got btfo by Crawford, because both raw and rai they were wrong.
>>
>>52620466
Hello fellow flesh man, this is a fine day for absorbing the light of the sun is it now? Said at night
>>
>>52620613

>why would you play the race with the most ordinary fluff other than a human but for the stats

Gee I wonder?

How about "they mesh with almost all campaign settings and there's every reason they'd be more common than elves, and its even plausible they could be more common than humans?"

>you're a guy
>who isn't a pure human or elf
>that's... about it
>if you want, there is some fucking cringe inducing fluff about "never feels at home in one land or the other" that is probably best ignored
>>
>>52620613
Literally never.
>>
>>52620613
Never played one since I mainly play humans, elves, dwarves, or gnomes.
>>
>>52620613
Do you really WANT to have people play half elves for the roleplaying elements?
>>
>>52620613
I did.
It was hard, I needed to be a half-elf for backstory purposes. But that V. Human feat...
>>
>>52620466
Go cleric.

Claim he worships Zarus, because he discovered he was the god of humans, and decided it was the most human thing to do.

Unfortunately his crude sketches and requests, coupled with Zarus' rarity, meant he actually got directed to the temple of, and invested as a cleric of, Pelor.

And not even the burning hate kind.
>>
I only play elvies, I wuv elvies :3
>>
File: always.png (1MB, 1280x492px) Image search: [Google]
always.png
1MB, 1280x492px
>>
>>52620613
My first character was a half-elf cleric (with, I think, 9 Charisma after racial mod). Chosen entirely for backstory reasons.
>>
File: Jordynna Jonessar Sketch.jpg (446KB, 2084x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Jordynna Jonessar Sketch.jpg
446KB, 2084x1728px
poast elvies
>>
File: MoonElfWizard02.png (413KB, 391x512px) Image search: [Google]
MoonElfWizard02.png
413KB, 391x512px
>>52620843
>>
>>52620311
Jason and the Argonauts
The Odyssey
Basically long naval journies, encountering mighty fantastical monsters and occasionally stopping in places where there are plot hooks.
Actually, this seems like it would work perfectly for the average murderhobo party.
Have them be hired by a Jason/Odysseus figure, and maybe have them gradually discover that one of their parents is a god, or they have some other relation to Greek-themed fantastical elements.
>>
File: SunElfFemale01.png (699KB, 900x660px) Image search: [Google]
SunElfFemale01.png
699KB, 900x660px
>>
File: elf nazis.jpg (769KB, 900x1116px) Image search: [Google]
elf nazis.jpg
769KB, 900x1116px
>>52620843
>>
>>52620613
I made a character once that was a Half-Elf battlemaster mercenary who was racist towards elves because his dad skipped town after knocking up his mom. Like, not "let's have ourselves a hate crime" racist, he just thought they were flighty and couldn't be trusted with anything too difficult. He also really didn't like people finding out he was a half-elf.
He was probably the most developed character I'd made and I was pretty proud of it, but my party is entirely made up of lolrandom guys and he didn't mesh at all. I abandoned him after my first session.
>>
File: 1468690451287.png (57KB, 254x266px) Image search: [Google]
1468690451287.png
57KB, 254x266px
>about to start a new campaign and briefed my players on the fact that we'd be playing in our own, original setting and sent them a quick rundown document with the basic details of the world
>half of the players read nothing at all
>the other half read the player's handbook from cover to cover and very quickly skimmed the quick rundown
>tfw I'll probably have to repeat that we're not in Forgotten Realms a few times each session
>>
Whats the best way to go about making a bladelock?
>>
File: WildElfDruid01.png (293KB, 403x605px) Image search: [Google]
WildElfDruid01.png
293KB, 403x605px
>>52620893
NO THALAMAR OR W/E THEY ARE
>>
>>52620710
People keep saying 'But cone of cold doesn't work with it!'
Yes, it doesn't.
However, other spells do.
>>
>>52620919
who died and made you king of shitposting
>>
File: Swordmages02.png (406KB, 380x644px) Image search: [Google]
Swordmages02.png
406KB, 380x644px
>>52620930
god
>>
>>52620910
Tome Warlock, Shillelagh, PAM with quarterstaff, and maybe dip Fighter for a shield and better armour.
>>
File: 1475686238466.png (421KB, 531x691px) Image search: [Google]
1475686238466.png
421KB, 531x691px
>>52620833
>>
File: WildElf02.png (767KB, 600x828px) Image search: [Google]
WildElf02.png
767KB, 600x828px
>>
>>52620343
i would not put it past a Satyr to try and pull that kind of shit.
>>
>>52620684
The only reason I could think of would be if someone wanted to use a feat as part of their backstory and it wouldn't make sense for their character to learn it in the middle of a campaign.
Like, someone who's trained with a polearm all their life. Are they going to suddenly learn how to use it better halfway through a dungeon crawl?
>>
>>52620908
>told to create a character for our next campaign
>get no setting details other than "original" and some vague references to rome, specifically regarding the color purple, and that it has multiple cities. I expect a drow focus because the DM likes them, but thats a guess
It's a pain in the ass to make a generic enough backstory to fit into generic city with unknown relationships or locales.

I'm pretty much at "was a former slave of some group, was rescued by enemies of that group and/or adventurers, "rescued" and left in a strange city where he didn't speak the language" because fuck if i can do more.
>>
>>52620833
I roll a 1 on suicide, what now?
>>
>>52620361
Kaiju big battles.

Make sure at some point they find an apparatus of kwalish for epic robo on kaiju fight
>>
File: lorwyn elf.jpg (115KB, 640x875px) Image search: [Google]
lorwyn elf.jpg
115KB, 640x875px
>>52620919
Not beautiful enough for you?
>>
>>52620370
>cheap, high quantity miniature bundles
I dug up my old Lego figures, there was enough shit to customize them pretty well
>>
File: DrowFemale01Cropped.png (552KB, 573x843px) Image search: [Google]
DrowFemale01Cropped.png
552KB, 573x843px
>swn test her baleful spells on you again and again and again
>>
>>52620684
I mean, i pick human for plenty of characters because they have less racial baggage and expectations, it helps me make a character that won't be pigeonholed in the minds of the party.

V.Human is just used because its the better option than standard.

>>52620925
Which isn't why its a meme. An ability working as intended, primarily for buffs and healing, isn't a meme. Sanctuary is fucking fantastic, for example. Non-concentration, and stays on the horse even if you attack in subsequent rounds.
>>
>>52620979
You die in an especially embarrassing way, and everyone laughs at your corpse.
>>
>>52620978
Don't.
Make a highly specific backstory, with names, characters, high level threats.
Punish your GM for not giving you enough information.

Or you could act like an adult and ask for more info.
>>
>>52620979
You gain perfect clarity and the will to live and make the world a better place.
Right before you die.
>>
>>52621029
But suicide was his intended outcome, wouldn't embarrassing and public failure be more appropriate?
>>
File: SunElfFace01.png (122KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
SunElfFace01.png
122KB, 210x330px
>Endrolas Everflame, Warmage of Evermeet wn burn your dick+balls, give you a healing elixir, then burn them again, forever
>>
>>52620979
in killing yourself, everyone you've ever loved is overcome with depression. They are unable to move on from your death, blaming themselves due to direct influence or inaction, and spend the rest of their lives mourning you in a state of lethargic depression, never to know happiness again.

as well, the implent with which you chose to off yourself has a tiny hiccup, and takes a full day of excruciating pain before it finally ends your life.
>>
>>52620613
I play one because I've always liked half-elves for whatever reason

he's a druid, his dad was a human noble who for some reason, whether it was a curse or bad luck, was only able to bear a male heir with an elf he had a brief affair with

so he tried to pass off his boy as a human and he was found out and executed, causing the boy to run off into the wilderness and be taken under the wing of an ancient druid

it's nothing spectacular but I have fun with it
>>
>>52621029
And then, a goddess laugh at how I die and reincarnate me in another world.
>>
>>52620083
>>52620100
OP is a druid!
>>
>>52621018
>Working as intended
>Teaming up with your horse to launch meteors around is working as intended
Investiture of flame and melf's minute meteors allow horsecasting-as-not-intended. I can't think of any non-elemental-evil spells off the top of my head, though. Maybe if I go check all the self-buff spells.
>>
How do you go about making a BBEG?
I got an idea for essentially nazi drow/other elves planning to purge the world of all kinds of monsters and other races and the players would need to stop them. How would you design their leader?
>>
File: 1490253380206.jpg (72KB, 560x900px) Image search: [Google]
1490253380206.jpg
72KB, 560x900px
Let's say you're a dickass wizard and want to abuse your immense arcane power.

What's the fastest way to create a large pit under someone's feet? Time Stop+ Move Earth?
>>
>>52620753
In my setting Half-elves are mules- they can't reproduce and they're generally shunned by noble society. They rarely get to own land, nor do they get married for traditional reasons.
>>
>>52621034
I'm not trying to be hostile about it, and the little i do have was acquired by my data fishing expeditions. Doesn't help that hes the newest guy in the group, and i barely know him.

Was just pointing out that its a huge pain to not have at least the basic setting info, something we typically have accomplished by playing "setting we all know, except with these differences"
>>
>>52621043
This too. If I want to suicide, I want a crowd of people with nothing better to do but chat about it and tell strangers.
>>
>>52620311
Zeus focked some chick again.
>>
>>52621043
That happened to a Hobgoblin Captain in one of my campaigns. He was rolling shit again and again, watching his soldiers get murdered in horrible, humiliating ways, finally decided to end it on his own terms. And rolled a one.
Even the release of a dignified death was denied to him.
>>
How do I familiarize myself with an established setting? Is there a resource for DMs about the Forgotten Realms or Eberron or something?
>>
File: HighElfPaint01.png (23KB, 536x570px) Image search: [Google]
HighElfPaint01.png
23KB, 536x570px
>>
>>52621092
Dynamite.
>>
>>52621111
quads+master art
>>
>>52620978
I set up for a session 0 where everyone would make characters together and I'd answer all questions they might have that the rundown didn't cover. None of them asked any questions even when I asked directly if they had any. They just went silent and didn't say anything at all most of the times
>>
>>52621110
>What is wikipedia
>What is 1d4chan
>What is Tv Tropes
>>
>>52621110
Check the mega. There's a 5e supplement book called Adventurer's Guide to the Sword Coast. We call it SCAG for short. This was a question you could have answered yourself with just a few minutes of browsing and reading.
>>
>>52621158
we also call your mom SKANK for short haha
>>
>>52621158
Thanks. I didn't know that the Sword Coast was part of The Forgotten Realms.
>>
File: 1485420537322.jpg (48KB, 541x498px) Image search: [Google]
1485420537322.jpg
48KB, 541x498px
>>52621223
>Thanks. I didn't know that the Sword Coast was part of The Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>52621223
It's the part that matters.
>>
>>52621203
haha
>>
I made a dumb thing in another dumb thread but this thread seems more appropriate for getting feedback.

https://pastebin.com/iKVqFprT

It's stupid rough right now, but most of the mechanics are in place. I'm not too familiar with the balance of 5e, so I don't really know if it's overpowered or what.
>>
>>52621234
Is it such a shock? The DM manual just says "you can run a game in the forgotten realms!" without actually saying what the forgotten realms are.
>>
>>52621110
>>52621223

SCAG is a good place to start since it also dictates current events that concern 5e's timeline. Should be in the trove. Also the Forgotten Realms is one of the most documented settings of all time. Just about every nook and cranny has been documented from supplement books for over three decades.

I say you look out for the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting PDFs from old editions and read up. Also if your players are heading out to certain locales that are established in the Realms, dig out anything you can find on it if you're hoping to make it authentic. Like if the players head for Waterdeep, there's like a shitton of material to pull from beyond the SCAG to get all the details right. That said, feel free to make the Realms your own and make a version you see fit for your campaign.

Have fun. Also throw in Elminster from time to time
>>
>>52621018
>>52621078
Looking through:

Armor of Agathys can output, say, 25 damage every time one is hit in melee at level 5, so casting that on your horse potentially increases your potential damage dealt if you split attacks between you and your horse.

Something like aura of vitality would be a grey area (Is it a buff that targets you and then you heal people using a bonus action?) if not for JC ruling that parenthetical things definitely don't work for it. So this, along with cone of cold and many other PHB spells, don't work.

All smite spells are a buff you apply to yourself then then buffs your next attack.

Clone gives you a free clone of your horse. ... For whatever crazy reason you need that.

Contact other plane allows you to make your horse to ask a god questions for some reason.

You can double up crusader's mantle, though the effect won't stack. Allows you to cover more ground, though.

You get an extra use of death ward on it.

Magic Jar allows your horse to possess another creature.

Some of these are intentional. A lot of these are mostly fine. The main offenders really are the elemental evil spells. I also only skim-read maybe the first half of the spells, so I'm pertty sure I'm missing some potential abuse.
>>
>>52621279
Don't worry, it's overpowered.
>>
File: 1488174339054.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
1488174339054.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>52621293
>>
>>52621347
Fuck. What do I do now?
>>
>>52621395
kys
>>
Tg feedback me on this tweak to Curse of Strahd.

The cult of osydifs in the Death House actually had a bigger role. They were idiots fucking around with fake demonology until one day, they stumble into some serious juju that actually draws a legit fiendish force into the plane. That darkness taints Walter Durst's mother, which leads him to be still born, but even in death the baby continues to mute on as the Shambling Mound in the basement.

This poor sodding horror is the courtesy of the fiend they eventually did manage to summon, the night hag Morganfa, who subsequently proceeds to take over the Durst's mill at the West.

Strahd tolerates this creature which impinges on his pantry because the three of them together, Morganfa, the hag from the barber of sylverymoon which I transplanted into Vallakis and the sea Hag Mother (stats of a behur hag) are keeping baba Lysaga away from Von Zarovich's territory
>>
>>52620322
YOU COULD'VE SAID "KNOT", WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?
>>
>>52621506
it did knot occur to him
>>
>>52620753
>never feels at home in one land or the other
>social power houses that are friends with everyone and are often diplomats
Half Elves are legit Mary Sue territory.
>>
>>52621395
They get too much shit. Darkvision, an AC bonus, advantage on stealth rolls and jumping, weapon training and a poison that paralyzes? Most races have 2 things IIRC.
>>
>>52621234
>Implying anybody who reads the PHB immediately thinks 'Hm, I'd better play in the forgotten realms!' instead of making their own setting and thus cares about where the sword coast is
>>
>>52621546
Mainly because no player/DM plays the part of "neither humans nor elves trust them".
>>
>>52621395
Rework it with Detect Balance?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0
>>
>>52620613
I have witnessed a grand total of 3 Half Elf Rangers, all by new players.
>>
File: Annatar01.png (210KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
Annatar01.png
210KB, 401x600px
Imagine walking down the street going to the general store to get a new kettle or whatever, and BOOM
There's a high elf passing you on the street. He's thousands of miles from home, but he looks like he just stepped out of your dreams. His golden hair sparkles in the sunlight, holy shit it really does!
He looks at you for a brief moment, then his gaze turns away. He's probably here investigating a magical disturbance or recovering an ancient mythal or something. You're getting a fucking kettle.
He smells like spring rain. Like musky pine needles. Looking at him, you feel the love of beautiful things in your bones, tugging at your soul, like an ancient memory from a distant age
You get your kettle, he get's his mythal
For you, this was the day you glimpsed perfection. A day you will tell your grandchildren about
For him, it was Wednesday
>>
File: le millenom girl.jpg (30KB, 290x481px) Image search: [Google]
le millenom girl.jpg
30KB, 290x481px
how would you build her?
>>
>>52621611
>Looking at him, you feel the love of beautiful things in your bones, tugging at your soul, like an ancient memory from a distant age
He's affecting my mind without my permission. I immediately begin to plot his demise.
>>
File: d.jpg (9KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
9KB, 209x241px
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>52621611
I ask him if he wants to have tea with my new kettle
>>
File: Helmsdeep-siege.jpg (32KB, 499x268px) Image search: [Google]
Helmsdeep-siege.jpg
32KB, 499x268px
Anyone tried the new UA Mass Combat rules? How did it go for you?
>>
>>52621611
Why would I brag about seeing some dude?
>>
>>52621683
Because as long as they exist, there is timeless beauty in the world. And you shit in a bucket and save up for a month to buy a kettle.
>>
>>52621611
Unless you're an adventurer, in which case he's no better than you.
>>
File: 1334345118049.png (39KB, 344x517px) Image search: [Google]
1334345118049.png
39KB, 344x517px
If a creature is petrified and loses a limb- Can you re-attach it via mending?

I'm inclined to think yes but I also know that loss of body parts is something that's supposed to be hard to fix.
>>
>>52621730
Theoretically if you can mend a stone statue and then stone to flesh them, you can fix them like that.

But flesh to stone is a level 6 spell and I don't know what stone to flesh is.
>>
>>52621078
Investiture of Flame probably doesn't work, but feels like it should work. Melf's Minute Meteors definitely don't work and don't feel like they should.

>>52621333
>All smite spells are a buff
Don't work, but probably should be okay and should work.
>Magic Jar
Also doesn't work, but I don't know if it's funny enough to allow or not.
>>
File: HighElfSmugFace01.png (85KB, 218x240px) Image search: [Google]
HighElfSmugFace01.png
85KB, 218x240px
>>52621708
He's spent two hundred years in the Tower of the Sun studying the Art. He came here by magic, and when his work is done, he will leave by it. Despite all of this, he would certainly linger a moment to have tea with >>52621648 because he treasures all the good things in life, no matter how simple they seem.

His people, who follow the Seldarine, are beautiful, powerful and kind, and he works to keep YOUR people safe, even though you don't realize it or appreciate it. He's so much more than an idiot adventurer with a suit of chainmail and a few character levels. But he would never say that. And you would never know it.
>>
>>52621765
More of a concern about accidentally knocking over a petrification victim and feeling bad about greater restoring him to no left arm, but good to know.
>>
>>52621611
>him
If you say so mate.
>>52621730
Probably, assuming both body parts are stone. I imagine there might be some missing bits, though.
>>
>>52621730
>>52621765
Oh, and, mending should work, though a DM might say that they need something slightly stronger to make it work properly since the examples given for mending are things like 'a broken chain' which is as simple as welding two bits of metal together rather than connecting an intricate biological system turned stone together. But then again, hey, it's magic, you can probably bullshit that.

>>52621770
In all cases, those are spells that have a range of self and no area of effect. Even if the effect within the spell has a range, the initial spell target is yourself, which then buffs you to allow you to do things afterwards.

>>52621789
Yeah, mending might do it. Probably mending and a bit of time to make sure you've got it right.

But stone is pretty tough stuff unless your DM says it's a shitty kind of stone or they do it realism mode and say 'actually since the human body is as it is, the stone flakes away easily and is very brittle because the human body is nowhere near as dense as stone'.. Which isn't really the intention.
>>
>>52621553
Elves get a ton of stuff, but I see what you mean.
>>52621583
Ran it through as is, and it came out to about a 27 (mainly because there's nothing for the poison). Maybe if I remove the paralyzing part?
>>
File: 1483542868779.jpg (9KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1483542868779.jpg
9KB, 300x222px
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>52621780
I stab him with my sword because elves are pretty gay
>>
>>52621840
nice roll, retard
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>52621780
stealth check to see if I can grab his crotch without him noticing me
>>
Is there going to be a UA tomorrow?
>>
>>52621780
So, an idiot adventurer with a suit of chainmail and TWICE a few character levels?
Got it. DM's throwing in 'My DMPCs are so much stronger than your PCs' into the game again.
>>
>>52621780
yeah but i ripped a dragon's head off and then shat on it laughing
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>52621780
I cast fist on his face.
>>
>>52621868
Too soon, anon, too soon.. Why would you torment us like this?
>>
>>52621865
haha Nope!
>>
What's your favorite magic weapon? Not the most powerful or kickass, just your favorite. What's the one you really like, just from what it does or the feel of it or whatever?

Personally, I like all the silly things that feel kinda goofy, but also kinda awesome. Like the Rod of Flailing, which just sprouts flail heads and then you go to town on your foes. Or hell, just the Rod of Lordly Might which is basically all the things, all the time.

I guess I also like the Luck Blade for some reason. Not so much the Wishes as the general feel of a really lucky, trusty sword you can always rely on to bail your ass from all the stupid trouble you get yourself in.
>>
File: 1486583550491.gif (313KB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
1486583550491.gif
313KB, 300x182px
>>52621881
these shit rolls
>mfw
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>52621780
Insight. I want to know whether he's gay and dtf
>>
>>52621907
LOL
>>
File: 1487713166638.gif (47KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1487713166638.gif
47KB, 150x150px
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>52621780
I spike his tea with date rape drugs
>>
>>52621907
>Rolled 2 (1d20)
fucking kek
>>
>>52621780

I roll to see if he's gay
>>
>>52621920
uh oh
you're getting a half-elf
>>
>>52621931
>>
>>52621931
>>52621940
lol fail
>>
Rolled 12 (1d20)

>>52621780
I notice that the elf man is getting dragged away by a crazy looking young woman.

I stop her in her path and ask her what she plans on doing with his body
>>
>>52621817
>those are spells that have a range of self and no area of effect.
>the initial spell target is yourself,
Does not follow. They don't work. Find Steed never says "initial target" either. It says only target, and you are not the only target.
>>
File: 1412056158203.jpg (50KB, 641x480px) Image search: [Google]
1412056158203.jpg
50KB, 641x480px
>>52621940
>>52621931
>>
>>52621953
this is the storyline the dice have chosen??
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>52621953
My dear half elven friend is drunk so I'm taking him home. Nothing illegal here, officer!
>>
first time DMing how viable is it for me to start with out of the abyss for a bunch of new players too
>>
>>52621956
You are the only target until later. It doesn't say 'Only target ever'. Melf's minute meteors could target you for the initial cast and then never anyone else.

Though, to be honest, if we take eldrich blast for an example it does not qualify for twinned casting at level 5+ because it could 'potentially' target multiple people. So let's say that it needs to only target you-

The question is, does the spell itself only need to target you or is the spell effects the only thing that needs to target you?
The spell itself only targets you and it you targeted anyone else with it you'd be letting them launch meteors too.
However, the spell effects are that once you have the spell buff on you you can launch meteors at others, so the effects allow you to target someone else.

It's a bit hard to say, but JC's clarification suggests that if it says 'self' and doesn't have something like (30ft radius) next to it, it should work.
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>52622006
roll to seduce our would be date-rapist and have my way with both her and the elf
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>52622006
Is that so? Then why is your hand fondling his crotch? That doesn't seem to be consensual.
>>
File: 1488111850786.jpg (5KB, 234x215px) Image search: [Google]
1488111850786.jpg
5KB, 234x215px
>>52622041
>>52622038
>>
>>52621698
>as long as they exist, there is timeless beauty in the world.

That's pretty fuckin' gay, not gonna lie. You forget that beautiful things don't have to be pretty. All my life I've mistrusted beautiful people because I suspect they have a slightly easier time than I do, and that I have to work a little bit harder than they do.
>>
File: giggle.gif (908KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
giggle.gif
908KB, 960x540px
>>52622006

>Not pairing her with Lon'qu
>>
>>52622072
I paired her with Donnel actually. I thought it would be funny to give a farm boy a literal prostitute as a wife.
>>
Alright, I posted in the other thread about this.

Party decided to cut straight through a forest (known dangerous, they are going 75 miles across it)

I have a dire wolf encounter set up

They have a ranger so they can't get lost.

What difficulties should they encounter?
>>
>>52622064
you're a jaded asshole who can't see the world except through the lense of his own suffering. there is a whole would out there who doesn't need your approval.
>>
>>52622096
What's it known to be dangerous for?

Maybe start there.
And as a note, rangers can get lost if by magical means. If they're in a forest you can have them get fucked with by pixies or some shit. That's always fun.
>>
>>52622096

small to medium gobinold encampment
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>52621611
I cast counter spell on his teleport
>>
>>52622119
LEEEEEEEEEL
>>
>>52622041
I-I'm not! Its just that he's so difficult to carry and he's unconscious which means he's clearly ill and my herbalism teacher always said "If they're unconscious, consent is implied!"
>>
>>52622014
The spell effect is that it creates meteors. It does not put a buff on you. This is not a video game.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>52622119
I laugh at you for your terrible attempt at casting a shit-tier apprentice level spell
>>
>>52622135
If it doesn't give you a buff, then why does it have a range of 'self'?
>>
>>52622114
They have been on the outskirts and fought a variety of challenging monsters, there are no villages or anything in this huge forest.

They fought and barely won against an adult dragon that was housed in an ancient castle only 4 miles into the forest.

It's really untamed wilds and the heart should be some nasty stuff.
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>52622131
Intimidation check

DROP HIM NOW OR YOU'LL ROT IN A DUNGEON CELL FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE YOU RAPIST PIECE OF SHIT. CRIMINAL SCUM LIKE YOU DISGUSTS ME.
>>
>>52622150
he's saved!
>>
>>52622150
we did it reddit
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>52622150
roll to seduce you as well

"Why not have some fun with us?"
>>
File: 1444455539662.png (881KB, 980x897px) Image search: [Google]
1444455539662.png
881KB, 980x897px
>>52622150
>>52622156
>>52622168
>>
>>52622171
charisma saving throw against seduction attempt
>>
>>52622190
If she doesn't get a saving throw, neither do you hon~
>>
Rolled 6, 5, 2, 5, 4, 2, 1, 3, 3, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 6, 4, 6, 3 = 64 (18d6)

Let's see what Gnome we are making today...
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>52622205
persuasion roll against neckbeard /5eg/ poster to allow a saving throw against seduction attempt
>>
Rolled 9 (1d20)

>>52622171
charisma saving throw
>>
>>52622218
neckbeard /5eg/ posters have legendary resistance against persuasion, did you forget?
>>
>>52622233
gon get raped boi
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>52622243
virginity check to lower DC of persuasion roll
>>
>>52622146
It creates the meteors, actually let me get the wording, "in your space." They float around you. It doesn't give you a buff because this is not a video game.
>>
>>52622253
checked and kek'd
>>
>>52622109
You're not saying anything I don't already know.
>>
>>52620083
Anyone know a place or a good program that I can use to make Attack Range tokens for roll20? Or any API scripts that do?
>>
File: 1483216486978.jpg (324KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1483216486978.jpg
324KB, 1600x900px
Rolled 10 (1d20)

roll to check if everyone in this thread is a faggot virgin except for me
>>
I hate to be NO FUN ALLOWED but this is starting to look like a stealth /qst/ thread and that shit is dangerous man.
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>52622314
roll to hide dice posts from faggot mods and janitors
>>
>>52622217
Rock Gnome, Valor Bard. I need a name.

STR:13
DEX:11
CON:8
INT:11
WIS:11
CHA:13
>>
>>52622254
Well, I can give you that it doesn't specify you exactly, but it targets your space. Some could read that targeting your space is sort of like targeting the person, but eh.

I mean, melf's minute meteors was a silly one anyway. What about investiture of flame? What about eyebite? While I was looking for something similar to melf's minute meteors, I came across eyebite which looks like it should work with horsecasting.

Eyebite specifically mentions you, 'your eyes'.
>>
>>52622332
Bruno
>>
>>52622332
Pebbles
>>
>>52622314
Yea I posted the original elf post but I didn't intend for it to become a weird rape thing
>>
>>52622336
Eyebite also clearly targets other creatures when it puts the evil eye on them, but it feels like something that should work. It's like Investiture of Flame in that way.
>>
>>52622341
>>52622347
Pebbles fits with the low constitution.
>>
File: beret knight.jpg (54KB, 493x700px) Image search: [Google]
beret knight.jpg
54KB, 493x700px
>>52621780
I'm gonna call him a faggot.
>>
Hold person or blindness?
>>
>>52622352
Well, it sounds kind of overpowered in the sense you're doubling up a level 6 spell simply by having a horse, but it seems you can't affect the same creature twice with the same casting of eyebite, and even through two creatures can use eyebite they're both part of the same casting. So it wouldn't be too strong.

Investiture of flame also gives an attack, so it's kinda like melf's minute meteor's mechanically in that you're both getting attacks from the spell.

Mechanically eyebite and investiture of flame seem to be more likely to work, but flavour-wise I don't get how you could cast eyebite and double it with your horse but not melf's minute meteors and double it with your horse.
>>
what is the best pre written module for low level characters that promotes more role playing than combat?
>>
>>52622428
I mean flavor-wise they seem more likely to work, but mechanically neither spell works. I say they're different in this way because Eyebite and Investiture of flame actually change the caster (or fluff wise change the caster at least in eyebite's case), while Melf's conjures objects.
>>
Why are bugbears clearly the best race?
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>52622455
ur mom
>>
>>52622411
It's blindness/deafness
Both tbhdesu fampai unless no humanoïds in sight.
>>
>>52622538
You have to be 18 to post on this board.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>52622583
yeah? Well you have to be not gay to post in this thread
>>
>52622538
>52622600

No haha, no (You)s.
>>
>>52620083
No discord link?
>>
>>52622456
>Mechanically neither spell works
I don't think you've explained any proper reason why it counts as targetting when the spell itself clearly says 'range: self' and targets you, provides you an ongoing effect (your eyes glow, you can use an action every turn to do shit with eyes) that then targets other creatures. To be honest, 'This isn't a video game' isn't a good explanation.

But I've thought of something. Green flame blade's secondary damage isn't part of the initial casting (sort of), but the spell can't be twinned as it apparently targets two according to JC. So, I suppose if something potentially targets another creature after casting, that could happen.
And I guess more obviously the spellcasting bit actually says, 'the spell's description details the targets of the spell' and all that.

Flavour-wise I don't see why conjuring up meteors twice is worse than enchanting yourself and then another person. In both cases you're replicating a spell effect twice, so I don't see why it should be harder to conjure more than it is to enchant more.

Still, would have been better if JC didn't imply that you could use spells like eyebite.
You can still use spells that can harm creatures that don't actually target such as armor of agathys. Actually, does armor of agathys target? You don't select a creature at all, really.
>>
>>52622600
>yeah? Well you have to be not gay to post in this thread
You don't really believe that, do you?
>>
>>52622600
Then why are you here?
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>52622661
yeah well at least I'm not gay, that's all that counts
>>
>>52620311
The gods are fucking about and challenge another to fuck the most animals. The result is numerous hybrid monstrous creatures being born that waylay the countryside. Our heroes are the descendents of demigod and must slay these beasts to prove themselves true heroes
>>
>>52622657
Essentially, fireball targets the point of origin it explodes from, but also targets everything in its radius. Just different kinds of target. Surely you understand that if your party is blown up by a fireball, you have all been targeted by a fireball even if it didn't streak right into your face.

Spells target each thing they affect with their magic. The flavor is a spell that only affects you can also affect your horse.
>>
How's this for a deep forest encounter?

A haze of fog that completely obscures the sky, letting in no sunlight except for a dim glow.

The thick brush and trees seemingly close in around you, as you trek forward/backward, the forest stops abruptly, giving way to a clearing with a dilapidated, rotten and war torn settlement of some kind. The bloated corpses inside rusted armor taint the area with a smell of rot.

No matter where you go, you seem to find yourself in the same clearing.

The adventurers find themselves trapped in a loop of some kind.

If any character touches a building or a corpse, several poltergeists appear. If the players manage to kill all of the poltergeists, a ghost manifests itself and howls in rage. The ghost, which it can't remember it's name, originally died trying to defend the small hamlet and has been building an army of poltergeists to defend it from any future attack, trapping adventurers and the villagers as the hamlet's unwilling defenders.

The ghost is hostile, but if it is made aware that it is dead, it will seek to free itself of death and try to possess a character.

Once the ghost is killed or persuaded that there is nothing to defend, the curse is lifted and the party can leave.
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 2, 5, 4, 1, 6, 6, 2, 6, 5, 1, 6, 3, 3, 2, 1, 5, 1, 6, 6, 1, 2, 4 = 86 (24d6)

Making an EK, what build is useful for closing gap and bypassing defender to get to the back line?
>>
>>52622783
There are literally two EK builds and it boils down to whether you get GWM or not.
>>
>>52622653
I don't know if you've heard, but the majority doesn't like discordfags anymore.
>>
>>52622740
It's all a bit tricky, though.

If JC didn't specify the brackets RAI, so going off of RAW, you could actually use spiritual guardians IF you take out the following words:

"When you cast this spell, you can designate any number of creatures you can see to be unaffected by it."

Because otherwise, the spell does not actually target enemies. It's an effect centered on you that does not actually have targets, it just affects whatever comes into it.
>>
What's the point of taking revised Ranger when you can just take Monster Hunter Fighter? Even with a range weapon it just seems like Monster Hunter out performs Ranger bot damage and roleplay wise.
>>
>>52622795
Not the same guy but what are those 2 builds?
>>
>>52622800
The intent is that spells target the creatures they effect. And Eyebite literally says "You can target another creature"
>>
>>52622832
The EK where you get GWM and the EK where you don't
It's a fucking Fighter with something other than Int as a dump stat, this isn't rocket surgery
>>
What's some essential stuff to put in a game for a bunch of people who haven't played much D&D and want too see a lot of the classic stuff?

So far I know I want to include a beholder, at least one dragon, and maybe a necromancer or lich Big Bad that wants the Eye and Hand of Vecna.
>>
>>52622860
>classic stuff
Laser guns.
>>
So, Hexblades. Everyone just jumps at "It's a sword" and then "why don't I start with a sword?" Does no one think about every other kind of weapon? Maybe your pact is with a nuclear bomb, an orbital death cannon, or skynet? There's lots of things that are made to destroy besides swords and maces.
>>
>>52622866
>There's lots of things that are made to destroy
Your mom was made to BE destroyed
>>
>>52622860
Owl Bears as a joke except it's not a joke it's serious and they are going to maul you.
>>
>>52622860
Mind flayers.
Sounds like a group TYP is perfect for, too.
>>
>>52622863
I actually do plan to run Barrier Peaks for them at some point, just because I think they'll be interested.
>>
>>52622866
I had one who was sworn to what we couldn't tell if it was a Holy Lance or a giant angry living Lightning Bolt that thought it was a Lance.
>>
>>52622860
Thicc, horny, goblin girls.
>>
post some good travel music for DnD that is set in dessert regions.
>>
File: dwarf.png (264KB, 1019x447px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf.png
264KB, 1019x447px
Okay, 5eg, I'm a level 3 dwarf forge cleric about to hit level 4. Here are my stats.

Strength 19 (due to a magic item)
Dexterity 10
Constitution 13
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 16
Charisma 12

Should I take +2 to wisdom on next level, or Resilient (Constitution)? Or maybe something else?
>>
>>52622841
But then ice knife wouldn't be twinnab-
Fucking Merals.

I keep trying to find Jeremy Crawford's answer but I keep getting Mearl's saying 'Yes, you can!' and people posted that before.
But I finally find crawford's answer,
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/846813156483653632

In any case, I don't think there's a clear distinction what 'targetting' is by RAW, though it does seem RAI is what you said.
>>
>>52622920
how about this?

https://clyp.it/gfzdawtf
>>
>>52622760
critique pls

also, a friend keeps bitching about item cards on roll20, telling me to make them and I haven't heard of them
>>
>>52622813
Utility, magic, favored enemy humanoids is strong.
>>
>>52622922
Targets
A typical spell requires you to pick one or more targets
to be affected by the spell's magic. A spell's description
tells you whether the spell targets creatures, objects, or
a point of origin for an area of effect (described below).
Unless a spell has a perceptible effect, a creature
might not know it was targeted by a spell at alI. An effect
like crackling lightning is obvious, but a more subtle
effect, such as an attempt to read a creature's thoughts,
typically goes unnoticed, unless a spell says otherwise.

Really strongly hints at it, but it never outright says it.
>>
>>52622283
It's a darn shame that we can't save drawings in roll20 as Tokens.
>>
>>52622967
full of punishment for exploring & interacting with your setting.
this is how you turn your players in to murder hobos.
>>
>>52622992
>Requires you to pick one or more targets to be affected

That suggests that targets are chosen, rather than armor of agathys targetting anyone but yourself.
>>
>>52621611
>ywn encounter a fish out of water elf tourist that's too shy to ask for directions despite making eye contact with you
>>
>>52622283

Maybe Token Tool can help!

http://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/
>>
File: 1462171994895.jpg (18KB, 270x320px) Image search: [Google]
1462171994895.jpg
18KB, 270x320px
Just how important are base stats in 5E? I rolled 4 drop the lowest and got three 16's in my core paladin stats(strength, con, charisma) with some hefty bonuses(13 will, 14 int) and no negatives.

Am i going to completely eclipse my party?
>>
>>52623035
yup
>>
File: orc (1).jpg (136KB, 900x1148px) Image search: [Google]
orc (1).jpg
136KB, 900x1148px
i'm DM'ing for a party that has a goliath barbarian. he axed another player's character to death for "stealing his kill". i demoted him from neutral to evil for doing that but the party's saying i should do more to reprimand him. what do you recommend, /5eg/?
>>
>>52623006
I mean this bit here:
>An effect like crackling lightning is obvious, but a more subtle effect, such as an attempt to read a creature's thoughts, typically goes unnoticed, unless a spell says otherwise.
Where it talks about Detect Thoughts, which is Range: Self and targets other creatures.
>>
>>52623004
they are already murderhobos and chose to cut through 150 miles of dangerous forest to get to another town, and I don't want to do goblin/owlbear fight #3

I'm going to give bracers of defense as a reward for killing the ghost, or the bracers and periapt of wound closure if the ghost is convinced there is no need to defend a town that is destroyed.
>>
>>52623035
>Just how important are base stats in 5E?
Very.

>Am i going to completely eclipse my party?
If you play competently and they pick bad classes, possibly, but everyone loves having a good paladin in their party.
>>
>>52623074
Tell him that pvp isn't cool and raise the dead pc using the barbarian's gold
>>
>>52623074
I feel like you should have intervined when the team killing was going on
>>
>>52623074
Kicking the player?
>>
>>52623074
I'd tell him that if he wants to pvp, he can go to another group.

"punishing" should only be relevant to the world around you. Guards etc.

Problem players are not fixed by in-game means.
>>
How do I explain multiclassing story wise? Like why would a Paladin suddenly quit his duties to prance off and become a Bard?
>>
>>52623074
>demoted
how does a single player manage to axe down another with the rest of the party still presumably alive? Realistically you're the one who killed the party member by not being leniant with the damage or curbing the goliath.

also good DMs have talks with their players about pvp and evil PCs before the campaign starts.
>>
>>52623074
Perhaps THEY should do more to reprimand him. He initiated PVP.
>>
>>52623074
>>52623074
>he axed another player's character to death for "stealing his kill"
Your party is right. This is typical That Guy behaviour, and you should have not tolerated it. There are reasons to turn on your party members, but "stealing a kill" is not one of them.
>>
>>52623127
He didn't leave at all. He's now just also developing an interest into the great heroes of the past and learning their sagas and poetry.
>>
What happens if you crit while casting Chaos Bolt? Assuming level 1, normally you'd roll 2d8 to determine both the damage and type. If you crit and roll 4d8 and get different results on all 4, do you get to choose between 4 damage types? Do you get to bounce the spell if 2 of the 4 rolled dice match? Or do you just resolve the spell first and then add 2d8 extra of the determined damage type?
>>
>>52623127
He's still a paladin and thus still upholding his duties. However, for whatever reason, he has also began learning epic poetry and songs. Perhaps inspired by sagas of ancient paladins and knights.
>>
>>52623107
then my only critique is that there is no reasonable chance for them to get your additional reward. Their first attempt at interacting with your setting is met by a poltergeist attack. If they should try and use the old "you're actually dead mr spook!" to dissuade your miniboss, they are met with possession. This is clearly the mostly likely social attempt they will make, and clearly you think so as well because you made a countermeasure for it. You also already claim they're murder hobos.

I guess my critique is that you're stacking the deck against them when you should be gently helping steer the ship.
>>
>>52623110
I was unaware that there were bad options in 5E, outside of multiclassing in general not being great. What are the bad ones?
>>
>>52623074
Why doesn't the rest of the party kill the goliath barbarian or kick them out? Why should YOU have to fix their problem?

Seriously, why the fuck does someone get that angry over killstealing?
Why does that character deserve to live? How have they grown to this age without being axed?
>>
When making a world to play in, do you atleast have a place for each race in the Players Handbook for yours players, or do you omit things from your campaigns despite your players thoughts?
>>
>>52622920
Dessert regions? I got you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxw61TG40aM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhEPTKBrsKw
>>
>>52623226
4 Elements monk (it burns too much ki), PHB beastmaster ranger (revised one's good. PHB ranger overall is weak, but still playable), berserker barbarian (exhaustion sucks)

Beyond that, everything at least carries its weight in the party.
>>
>>52623238

There's a place usually for every race. I like to have my players have a lot of creative control over who they would like to be and their story.
>>
>>52623226
Ranger is bad, but WoTC fixed it in Unearthed Arcana. Then there's Way of Four Elements Monk, which is also bad.
Memers will tell you that Berserker Barbarian, Monk and Sorcerer are also bad, but they're retarded.
>>
>>52623134
If it's during or just after a fight it might have only taken one hit
>>
>>52622921

take tough

always take tough
>>
>>52623212
I'm not being thorough when I type this, it's my fault. When I say hostile, he has a disposition toward the party that is going to end in combat unless persuaded otherwise. He does not attack the party immediately, it's only if he discovers that he is dead and not persuaded will he attempt to use possession, which I won't let happen realistically unless they act exceptionally foolish.

The poltergeists do not focus attack, they are wildly rampaging around, until the party confronst the ghost, which the poltergeists stop while the ghost is present and then become directly hostile to the players and pursue combat with them. If they go near the hazards, they are more likely to be hit or thrown themselves.

There are 4 poltergeists.

This party will not be challenged at all aside from the fact that they won't know what's happening and aren't used to being lost since they have a ranger.
>>
>>52623127
classes are not strict envelopes for a character's personality and aspirations.

not all bard are prancing entertainers, nor they need to be musically inclined. bard are inspirers, spokespersons and can be valiant standard bearers.

the paladin never quit his duties, he could've been a college of valor member, when he found his nobler cause, taking an oath afterwards.

multiclasses just describe the things your character is capable of, and they are capable of a lot.
>>
>>52623262
>Berserker

Yeah the exhaustion sucks but it's normally used in a bigger battle and not every single time you rage.
>>
>>52623268
Barbarian would still have to get him to death saving throws, at which point the party/DM really should have intervened instead of standing by and watching like cucks.
>>
>>52623238
I tend to give the basic / classic races large territories, and then have smaller ones for newer / stranger races.
So you have your dwarfholds and your elf forests, but tieflings are more of a single individual in a family deal, and there are only a few Dragonborn left because they were mostly wiped out a long time ago.
>>
>>52623226
Theres only a couple of bad options, just some options that are outclasses by others
>>
>>52623308
If it's low level there's a possibility it could have just been a straight death, or the party just might not have been able to save them.

I don't know, maybe the guy who posted it will explain more.
>>
>>52623120
i don't give my players hard "no"s when possible, but this is the first time i've dealt with PvP - you're right, i should have spoken
up.

>>52623136
>>52623144
>>52623228
yeah these were my thoughts - i feel like not allowing PvP is curbing player agency a bit, but at the same time this pc is fucking stacked and the party's gonna have a hard time downing him.
>>
>>52623333
>>52623322
give us the play by play please, you're on trial.
>>
File: Violence Solves Everthing.jpg (96KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
Violence Solves Everthing.jpg
96KB, 407x405px
>>52623144

my party had a wizard with a massively inflated sense of self worth who thought wizardry the only form of magic worth a damn, and did nothing but give the warlock shit for not getting his magic in an honest way.

the party lost 2 members and the wizard got knocked unconsious after a bad run in with a monster, and the warlock murdered him in his sleep.

sometimes PVP is justified, but "kill stealing" isn't one of them.

but if the party has an issue with it, have them kill the barbarian.
>>
>>52623333
Do you know what else takes away a player's agency? Some shithead killing their character for no reason.

"Muh player agency" shouldn't interfere with the other players' enjoyment, that's putting one player above the rest of the group.
>>
>>52623333
How the hell can multiple players not take down another player of same level unless they're at level 20 and the player they're trying to take down is a wizard who knows what they're doing?

Seriously, there's a billion and one ways they could beat the guy.
>>
>>52623363
>kill the barbarian
This never works.
The barbarian will just make a revenge character built to take out one or more of the other players, the cycle continues and/or the game dies.
>>
>>52622147
I was away getting some food.
So if they took down an adult dragon they should be fairly higher level and competent enough.

I'd say look through some entries regarding fey, perhaps lycanthropes, hags. Give them something that will make them think more than just hitting it a bunch of times. Give the ranger a memorable experience, his first time getting lost.
>>
>>52623363
Are you trying to say the warlock was justified in murdering the wizard because he said mean things to him, or something?
>>
>>52623410
Seems like that's what he's saying.
How much you wanna be he was That Guy?
>>
>>52623363
>Murdered him in his sleep
I know people want to scream 'IT'S WHAT MY CHARACTER WOULD DO', but this isn't a good way to deal with an obnoxious player character.
Having a plan to kill them that could potentially be foiled is much better in all cases, really. A duel, or maybe trying to poison a drink with a subtle couple of tells, or at the least giving the guy a warning beforehand.

Otherwise it's just 'I don't like your character, your character is dead. Goodbye.'

Sure, it's WHAT MY CHARACTER WOULD DO but WHAT MY CHARACTER WOULD DO is not how you should play D&D all the way through. If you stick 100% to realism then fun shit doesn't happen, and also it makes you a no-fun dick for playing a character that murders people in their sleep in the first place.
>>
>>52623383
But the DM in this case can say 'No, your character has never met the players, why are you suddenly showing up with a grudge?' or the party just rolls intiative and kills the character every time, thus turning barbarian person into just another encounter.
>>
>>52623429
>If you stick 100% to realism then fun shit doesn't happen

Fucking this. I wish people would learn this sooner rather than later.
>>
>>52623169
The spell is so weak, you should try out the strongest interpretation possible. I don't think there's been any official answer about it.
>>
>>52623379
Barbarians are pretty hardy, and he could have taken out the only other really strong dude, but idk, it does seem like a good party should be able to take him down. Just like fling him in a pit and throw acid or some shit.
>>
File: Top Ten Anime Betrayals.jpg (50KB, 631x451px) Image search: [Google]
Top Ten Anime Betrayals.jpg
50KB, 631x451px
>>52623367

a person shouldn't have to rely on the GM to punish actions made in character.

instead they should deal with the consquences of those actions in character.

if the guy is being unpleasant OOC as well as IC then kick him out, but otherwise let the world deal with them.

I had a character who attacked a king in his own throne room for no reason believing him unguarded, he managed to kill the king and managed to make a clean get away.

fast forward 4 levels and the party manages to convince a lord (who was a relative of the king, and who I had told the party was a relative of the king) to assist them in defeating a vampire.

after a hard fought battle the lord betrayed the weakened party and had the man responsible executed.

what goes around comes around.
>>
>>52623169
I'd probably do the later.
But the fact that this is even a question is why I know they didn't think any of this shit through.
>>
>>52623383
Well THEN you have the talk that tells the problem player he's out of the game unless he's prepared to make a character who plays nice.

But if it stands in the narrative that one PC murdered another then it's fitting and satisfying that they become a combat encounter for the rest of the party - if necessary one run by the GM to keep things sportsmanlike.

I've seen plenty of PCs transition to antagonists after party tensions got too high. Admittedly nobody just snapped and went for a team-mates throat without warning, I don't see a way to play that that's fair for the guy who gets murked right off the bat.
>>
>>52622795
What happen after I get GWM? My main weapon is a battle axe because flexibility of switching between freehand and two handed.
>>
What does /tg/ think of Sorcerers?
>>
>>52623226
As others have mentioned, 4 elements monk, beastmaster and berserker are bad. I meant mostly in the context of a paladin with good stats outshining the weaker classes like Barbarians/Monk/Rangers if their players aren't good.

You know, like the "Wizard has a solution for everything" meme, though Wizards are themselves like the third ranked of the full casters.

Also, multiclassing isn't bad. That's a terrible meme. It just has to be done smartly to not delay some classes' power spikes and work off effective synergies, but there are many situations where 1-2 level dips grant abilities that greatly enhance your overall effectiveness, or where staying in your current class past level 7 or so doesn't give you much in the way of useful class features.
>>
File: orc (5).jpg (91KB, 564x731px) Image search: [Google]
orc (5).jpg
91KB, 564x731px
>>52623344
>running hoard of the dragon queen with a group of five
>ep2: rescuing prisoners from a cultist camp
>goliath takes the initiative and jumps a guard tower where two guards and a thug are waiting
>half-orc ranger makes a great dex roll and shoots the alarm horn away from the thug before he can sound off
>party joins the fray - pretty standard back and forth of combat, one of the mercs is killed but our rogue is brought down to 2 HP
>rogue manages a great last minute roll and finishes off the injured mercs which the goliath had been tussling with
>"you stole my fucking kill!" says the goliath - his justification was that he was playing his character
>rolls to kill rogue
>kills the injured rogue with the bonuses from his ragemode

i allowed him to roll to kill her but at the expense of becoming an evil character. like i said in an earlier post i feel like not allowing PvP nerfs what your characters can do - but typing it out like this it feels like i should have spoken up. what are your thoughts?
>>
>>52622860
Not exactly what you're asking, but you could try to make the player races feel a little more classic I guess- dwarves and elves used to be very different, culturally.
>>
>>52623238
I usually include all the races in some capacity, even if it's just a broad strokes thing. Like, "yeah, genasi exist, they're mostly in human lands".
>>
>>52623499
ow the edge.jpg
Also really sucks for the rogue, that turnabout was their chance to shine and the Barb shit all over it
>>
>>52623493
/tg/ thinks they're bad because Wizards get more and more castings of spells and Bards get more and better class features.

But Sorcerers are still fairly full casters have their own unique things that other classes can't do, be it solo or multiclass.
>>
>>52623465
How are there going to be any consequences for your killing? You are dead so unless you make your new character kill them for no ic reason then there will be no consequences for your death.
>>
>>52623499
>It's what my character would do!

This is the flimsiest fucking bullshit excuse and it has been cried thousands of times.

This is a game about cooperation and being a team. As long as everyone took part in the killing, everyone gets xp. There should have been no real 'kill stealing' to be had.
>>
>>52623304
But almost never being able to use your 3rd level ability sucks.
>>
>>52623499
Yeah you should have stepped in especially since that was his defense.
>>
>>52623499
Goliaths wouldn't even find that offensive, they respect martial skill and being able to fend for yourself.
This could, and should, have been a bonding moment.
>>
>>52623459
If you have any casters at all, it'd be pretty easy to shut him down. You can also just attack from range.

Barbarians are pretty nasty to fight in the earlier levels, but you can still grapple and shove them even if they have advantage on checks. And certain builds can just kite the fucker. And, certainly, you can try to ambush them or use traps if all else fails.

>>52623493
Sorcerers are wizards lite.
They are easier than wizards, but have a much lower skill ceiling than wizards.

For new players, a sorcerer is likely a better pick than a wizard.

For more experienced players, a wizard is much more versatile.

Sorcerer's only real gimmick is twinning shit like haste.

Also, UA sorcerers (Shadow, stone) tend to be the best.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with this thread?
>>
>>52623568
It became a "that guy" thread.
>>
>>52623565
>>52623493
Oh, also, they're pretty okay for some multiclasses.
Paladin-sorcerer is good. Sorcerer-warlock is better than both warlock or sorcerer individually.
>>
>>52623568
Not enough anime
>>
File: [Purges].jpg (53KB, 498x558px) Image search: [Google]
[Purges].jpg
53KB, 498x558px
>>52623429

the wizard was stronger than the warlock. this was the only chance he was gonna get

>>52623410

both characters were friends OOC and had built the characters in opposition of one another.

the hatred that formed between them formed organically as a result of opposing personalities.

the betrayal was not in any way unexpected because the level of abuse the characters hurled at eachother was hilarious.

neither player had an issue with what happened because it seemed like a logical progression of events.

naturally if someone is being hostile out of character they should be punished for it, but in character hostility and betrayal is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't move beyond the table.

reminds me of another time where a pyromaniac sorcerer set the whole party on fire except himself and nearly started a TPK.

this was after a long list of disasters caused by the character that very nearly killed the paladin twice

after the paladin interrogated the sorcerer and asked why he did it, the sorcerer told them he wanted to.

so the paladin killed him, judging him to be a danger to the party.

again, no hard feelings and no one cared, and the sorcerer made a bard instead who was awesome.

I think the problem is that some people don't play with particularly tight knit groups and or only tolerate one another IRL, which leads to these kinds of horror stories.
>>
>>52623499
Being an evil character means nothing.

Alignment is just a tag, really. That's all. It briefly describes your personality.

All you're saying is 'Okay, you can kill them, but I'll have to make note that your character is selfish.'

Also as other anon said, what the fuck. I guess the rogue must have been level 1 or 2 to be instantly killed, but why did the rest of the party not kill a partymember who's killing the rest of the party for trying to fight enemies? Why would a character exist that comes from a lawful society that kills people for such trivial things?
>>
>>52623554
I know when I'm a bear totem I want to be getting burned, frozen, shocked, and drained every single time I rage.
>>
>>52623596
I think the problem comes from differing levels of understanding between players.
Like your example turned out okay because both players expected it.
If one player expects it but the other doesn't then that's where you start getting problems.
>>
>>52623565
>They are easier than wizards
>For new players, a sorcerer is likely a better pick than a wizard.
A new player is probably best served sticking with Cleric. A new player probably needs a guide to build a sorcerer that isn't painful to play. A new player can at least fix a poor spell selection on a wizard eventually, but you do get those "evocation specialists" with literally nothing but nukes, so eh.
>>
>>52623581
Go fuck yourself with a cactus

>>52623554
Having played one I can say that it isn't nearly as bad a people seem to claim. That extra attack is useful in a handful of situations because you're already shitting damage out as is.

To me the main reason to take berserker is the ignore charm at 6th level, the CC ability at 10th and the free hit with reaction at 14th.
>>
>>52623596
>Stronger than the warlock
If they're the same level, they shouldn't be too different in power. It's not like you need more than two spells to down him, anyway.
I even suggested things like poison and all that, but instead they went for the most boring route of 'kill in their sleep'
I'll give them that it's good they weren't unahppy about it, but seriously that's a dull way to kill off a character. It would have been much better if the warlock did something like sided with some enemies to kill the wizard or.. Whatever. Seems weird that two characters who want to kill each other would be in the same party (rivals make sense, but rivals don't kill each other).
>>
>>52623499
>>52623559
this, read up on goliath lore and tell your barbarian to smarten the fuck up
>>
>>52623632
>matched its original roll
It doesn't say you'd roll two separate pairs of dice, there are several equally legit interpretations
>>
>>52623499

thats a pretty bullshit excuse OP, but if he wants to play a deranged murderer thats his prerogative.

that being said, the party members should confront him IC, turn him into the local authorities and if that fails kill him.

or hell, just stop healing him if the party has a healer, he'll soon wise up to not PvP if he doesn't get his injuries tended to any more.

or you could confront him in real life and ask him why he would do that, then remind him of the difference between a barbarian and a murderer.

if he persists or takes his hostility into the real world I would recommend a new barbarian.

some people don't play well with others
>>
>>52623640
If the sorcerer levels up they can replace poor or ineffective spell choices, unlike a wizard, though the wizard gets plenty of spells can can write new ones in.
Sure, a Cleric can choose a new one every day, but eh.

I'd say Cleric's still a good choice, but if the player wants to be a blaster they can easily be a warlock or sorcerer instead of a wizard. Like you said, 'evocation specialists'.
>>
>>52623640
New players don't want to play Cleric because they think they're boring healbots
>>
>>52623668
>>52623640
Oh, and, sorcerer mostly provides free AC such as free mage armour for players, provides a damage boost to your generic blasting, limits your options so you're not overwhelmed, doesn't have stuff like rituals which would be too complicated for new players, allows new players to feel smart by twinning interesting things.

... Really, if you remove the bad options on sorcerer, sorcerer makes a good 'baby's first caster'.
>>
File: 1482197703427.jpg (122KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1482197703427.jpg
122KB, 1024x1024px
>>52620083
I have a question, but I don't want to ask /lit/ because of my absolute peasant taste

I've "read" the dragonlance chronicles (listened to an audiobook of all of them) and I really liked it, are there any other DND like fantasy novels I can sink my teeth into?
>>
>>52623612
we brought the session to an end after he killed the rogue because people needed to go home, but the consensus seems to be that the party are going to fight him next session.
an eye for an eye i suppose, but this is a fucking ballache and it's going to distract from the story a lot.

should we kill his character and make him roll a new one as punishment?
>>
>>52623674
I know, but they should player Cleric. Light Cleric or Tempest Cleric if they want to blast.

>>52623668
But you get people wanting to play a blaster warlock then complaining that all they do is eldritch blast. Or wanting to play a blaster sorcerer then taking quicken and twin and complaining about always being empty.

>>52623684
>Really, if you remove the bad options on sorcerer
That's why they need a guide to build something fun. The class isn't well designed for baby's first anything. Dragon Scales does help them avoid the mage armor trap though level 6 is well after you shouldn't be a newbie anymore.
>>
Does the dual wielder feat work with improvised weapons?

Can I have a shield count as a melee weapon for another +1 AC?
>>
>>52623690
There are tonnes of actual D&D novels of varying quality.
There was a list of good /tg/ reading somewhere, but I forget.
Gotta have your Elric books and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser and all that at least.
>>
File: AAAAARGH.jpg (48KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAARGH.jpg
48KB, 400x309px
>>52623644

when I say kill him in his sleep I mean-kill-the-unconsious-wizard-after-the-fight-which-started-because-of-the-wizards-pride-and-which-the-warlock-blamed-him-for.

It was rather climactic honestly, felt like something that had been building for a while.

but yeah. the issue is that every party works differently so any advice that can be given for dealing with this kinda shit tends to be rather bad.

honestly the best thing to do is tell the barbarian OOC that PvP over something so petty is frowned upon in a generally good aligned party and to tone down his aggression or find another table
>>
File: 1416541378807.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1416541378807.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>>52623710
Why do Warlocks have the coolest lore but the most boring playstyle? I feel tricked for ever picking Warlock.
>>
>>52623699
If you do then make sure you actually explain what the problem was.

>>52623723
>not sure but I think so
>no
>>
Don't worry guy who called someone an idiot for asking chaos bolt works only to realise that he what he posted was wrong so he deleted it.
>>
File: 1491664896812.jpg (31KB, 648x580px) Image search: [Google]
1491664896812.jpg
31KB, 648x580px
>DM: Roll [skill] check
>Player: 21!
>DM: It doesn't work because it's not the right skill
>>
>>52623752
This is actually kind of funny
>>
One of my players has a male drow fetish and flirts/sleeps with every male drow she encounters.

We are in the Underdark.
>>
File: 1477091699851.png (15KB, 366x355px) Image search: [Google]
1477091699851.png
15KB, 366x355px
>>52623733
>no radiant warlock patron for fluffy paladin multiclassing
>>
>>52623725
If you find that good /tg/ reading anywhere hit me up famalamadingdong
>>
>>52623743
I figured, by the time my reply posted it was gone
>>
>>52623766
So.. She gets laid a lot?
>>
>>52623766
Well, when in Rome...
>>
>>52623710
>And complaining
True, which is really why we need more focus on things like at-will abilities like artificer gets instead of all this short-rest long-rest nonsense.
However, it's not what we got.
They're not going to do any better as a wizard in that case.

>They need a guide

Simply, don't go wild mage and get twinned spell. That's them set for the most part as long as they read the spells.
>>
>>52623559
>>52623649
that's a really good point - i'll bring that up when i talk to him about this, thanks
>>
>>52623730
Huh, well.
I guess you really have to be there to get the right feel for it, because if it was just 'I wake up one morning and decide to kill him' that'd be terribly anticlimatic.

And while you COULD just tell the barbarian that, it somehow feels like it'd satisfy everyone more to get revenge on them.
>>
>>52623807
I have a new player in my group, playing sorcerer. Picked Wild Mage and Chromatic Orb, and I don't think twinned spell for once.

It makes sorcery look really hard.

>as long as they read the spells.
Really, really hard.
>>
>>52623666
i reckon i'll talk to him OOC about why this isn't cool and if he sticks to his guns i'll allow the party to fight him and make him roll a new character. thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>52623872
Personally I'd talk to him away from the table, bring >>52623813 up, and if he seems understanding then maybe even just retcon what happened and explain the character's "new" outlook.
>>
>>52623837
Yeah, well, if they picked wizard they probably wouldn't quite get it either. The idea of preparing spells and keeping some in a book, casting rituals from a book, actually noting down all those rituals, not wandering into close with AC 10, remembering they have arcane regeneration..
... At least it's hard to pick a bad wizard.

The problem is more 'trap options' than the sorcerer class, I guess. Which is the sorcerer class. Which makes it shit.

Guess we're making warlock take over 'baby's first caster' role.
>>
>>52623837
Wild Magic being available day one was a mistake, new players and bad players drift to it like flies to honey.
>>
Looking to mix things up with some of the options no one at my table has played.

I'm stuck between Human Berserker who was exiled and is trying to earn money for his kids, Aasimar Favored Soul who is a chain smoking sinner but the final relative of an ancient Celestial or a Human Kensai who trained to use a bow because his Elven step-siblings were always saying he'd never be as good as an Elf.

Which one of these is best?
>>
>>52623922
I like the Kensai one.
>>
>>52623723
No.
Improvised weapons are improvised. They are not weapons.

And improvised weapon can be a weapon used differently, however. Such as a longbow being used as an improvised melee weapon.

But shields are not designed as weapons and are thus not considered weapons. Even when improvising and using one to bash someone for bludgeoning damage, it doesn't suddenly become a weapon.

In fact, your example of a shield giving another +1 ac would be a prime example as to why this would not be allowed.

It may also be of note to consider that while not attacking with it it is not an improvised weapon, at all. So likely even if you were to count it, it would only count so long as it was being used as an improvised weapon on your turn.

With all that said, if your DM is cool with it, go for it. But that'd be a houserule.
>>
Aside from demon armor and insignia

what ways are there to increase unarmed damage?
>>
Anyone have any cool temple maps?
>>
>>52623964
>Aside from demon armor and insignia
What fucking game are you playing?
>>
>>52623964
Belts of X Giant strength can also increase your unarmed damage along with everything else.
>>
>>52623922
I think the Kensai one is the best.
Aasimar one is very... edgy.
Berserker one is a little dull.
>>
>>52623922
>Earn money for his kids
If he's a barbarian, why can't he survive in the wilds without money?
Or is he not a proper barbarian but just some angry average person?
Wouldn't he just quit adventuring after two or three runs?

>Favoured soul
I mean, maybe, if your DM doesn't find it too much, but what's their motivation for doing anything?

>Bow Kensai
Seems odd to be a kensai for that unless they're specifically a monk before training to use a bow. But, again, do they have any motivation other than 'I want to slay shit to prove I can shoot shit?'

And to be honest, none of the options sound too inspiring mechanics wise. Say, a revised four elements monk would be much more interesting than a kensai monk which is basically 'Monk, except they use a different weapon'.
>>
>>52623976
Demon Armor is in the DMG.
Insignia (of Claws) is in Hoard of the Dragon Queen.
What game are YOU playing?
>>
>>52623998
I thought you were rattling off class options, my bad.
>>
>>52624006
I actually wasn't the guy who originally posted it, but no worries.
>>
>>52623992
Just because barbarians are primitives that live off in the hills doesn't mean they WANT to be, dude.
>>
>>52624030
What do they want to be, then, a dead father with two orphaned children?

Adventuring is dangerous. More dangerous than being a barbarian.
>>
>>52624030
He was kicked out, that implies he didn't want to leave but was forced to.
>>
>>52624055
New thread
>>
>>52623992

Berserker was a member of the city watch who was framed and had to leave the city. His wife divorced him and took the kids and he has to pay money. He could just ignore it and go off but he wants to provide enough money for his kids to have a good life and fighting's all he's really been trained to do.

Favored Soul was raised from young by the church but never really got along with their teachings. Eventually they had enough and sent him on a pilgrimage he has no say on and he can't return until they say so. He decided he might as well use his magic to try and get rich. Also most likely some character development where he really becomes religeous.

Bow Kensai was raised in the woods as the youngest child with an Elven Father and Human Mother. His step siblings always treated him like shit and eventually found a hermit who offered to teach him. The last of the kids to leave home, he's seeking to perfect his mind and body to be the best archer he can be.

Rough drafts here.
>>
>>52624064
>le page 6 faec
>>
>>52621897
I made the mistake of sending a bunch of assassins after my party and an NPC they were guarding. The assassins had an Eversmoking Bottle, and three pairs of goggles that let them see through the smoke.

My party killed them all and now use the bottle and goggles at every opportunity.
>>
>>52624091
I can see why a dude with elf family would want to become a Monk, he might attain a lifespan that'll keep up with theirs
>>
>>52622096
Have them walk straight into Robin Hood and his Merry Men- or at least their fantasy equivalent. They start going into musical song-and-dance numbers about how they steal from the rich and give to the poor, and all the general tomfoolery that pervades their life.
They invite the party to a feast, where everything is poisoned. It turns out that they're just normal, cutthroat bandits who freaked out when some heavily armed adventurers came into their forest, and had to improvise. They then fall upon the party with knives.
>>
>>52622136
Something catches in your throat and your mocking laugh turns into gasping, coughing and retching.
>>
>>52624177
That's actually a good idea, can work that one in as well because it looks like I'm gonna go with Kensai.

>>52623992
Also I didn't answer how Bow Kensai is mechanically interesting. Between the bonus action pummel that works with it, mobility being pretty handy on an Archer, the ability to Flurry of blows stun someone for Advantage on Sharpshooter attacks and using Ki for a +3 weapon I think there's some cool things.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>52624246
saving throw on choking
>>
>>52622332
>STR:13
>DEX:11
>CON:8
>INT:11
>WIS:11
>CHA:13
Before or after racial bonuses?
>>
>>52623690
I know im probably gonna get torn a new asshole for suggesting this, but the drizzt series, mostly the icewind dale trilogy was a fun read.
>>
>>52622920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlrHyGIk8g
>>
>>52624268
You die.
>>
>>52620979
Blind, Deaf, Mute, Full body paralyzation. You are kept on life support and live out your life to a ripe old age.
>>
>>52623017
How does that thing work for making attack range tokens?
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>52624590
I fuck ur mom from beyond the grave
>>
>>52623499
Grow some balls. Letting one player antagonize other players on such flimsy grounds is bad for teamwork and bad for gaming.
Learn to tell your players no and quit being a pussy.
>>
>>52625046
Erectile dysfunction haha
>>
>>52620311

Your party finds themselves under an insurmountable pile of debt due to many bad economic decisions and anybody who recognizes their accent will try to convince them to pay denbts
>>
File: IMG_3428.jpg (154KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3428.jpg
154KB, 854x480px
Just watched grimgar and I'm inspired to run a new campaign where the players start off feeling underpowered with little to no equipment or money.

How do I create a feeling of real vulnerability in the players, encourage a need for teamwork, and give rewards extra satisfaction when they actually do overcome a obstacle?
>>
>>52625983
It's a huge risk, but you could try running a level 0 campaign. Start everybody with five hit points and a dagger, add 100 XP to each level requirement, and raise the level cap to 21. Anybody who makes it to level 1 gets to keep the dagger, the extra five hit points, and any loot they find in addition to the money they're expected to start with at level 1. If you REALLY want to emphasize the risks to the players, don't actually give them any magic items for the first five levels.
>>
>>52620448
You're straining the laws of magic to do so but I don't see why you couldn't, honestly.
>>
>>52625983
Start your characters at level 1 with no equipment or money. Level 1 in 5e is like angry farmer mode.
Thread posts: 397
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.