[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/swg/ Hardware Wars edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 356
Thread images: 114

File: whatamartyr.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
whatamartyr.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Previous thread: >>52546524

A spectacle light-years ahead of its time.

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>http://pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>http://pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>https://mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>http://www.mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>http://pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>http://pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>http://pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>https://mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>http://pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>http://dockingbay416.com/campaign

Has a movie character ever made an appearance in one of your RPG campaigns?
>>
>>52583424
Once their Y-wing squadron was sent in to attack ground targets after rogue squadron blew away the air cover, and wedge made a cameo appearance by radio, so I guess that technically counts
>>
File: colt 45 malt liquor.jpg (121KB, 600x482px) Image search: [Google]
colt 45 malt liquor.jpg
121KB, 600x482px
>>52583424
Do holonet ads for DL-44 malt liquor count?
>>
>>52583424
My EotE party screwed up Jewel of Yavin, and ended up meeting Lando.
>>
Thoughts on best EotE starting ship?
>>
>>52585984
That's an amazing idea and I would definitely use it if my group could get the reference. But we're french, so...
>>
File: 1487913983492.jpg (247KB, 1600x862px) Image search: [Google]
1487913983492.jpg
247KB, 1600x862px
>>52586260
>>
>>52586260
Ghtroc 720 aka space turtle
>>
>>52586260
The first one in a hanger that looks like it is flyable
>>
>>52586260
Whatever you can steal
>>
http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-from-a-certain-point-of-view-anthology-book-celebrates-40-years-of-a-galaxy-far-far-away

Looks like we're about to have the Canon equivalent to Legends' "Tales of" series.

Thoughts? I thought none of the stories in "Tales of" really were that interesting, but some of them were entertaining and I like the idea that every background character had a story.

>inb4 bitching about Chuck Wendig
Just don't read his chapter.
>>
>>52587869
>No Zahn
>No Stackpole
>No Stover
Darn. Christie Golden's piece will probably be decent, though. And Paul Dini? As in DCAU Paul Dini? Color me interested.

>Wendig
Fingers crossed for him not getting the X-wing pilot story or anything involving Wedge.
>>
>>52587145
>>52587291
I wanted to argue this but it's 100% true.
>>
>>52588124
I count 28 authors and they're going for 40 stories, so there's about a dozen authors they haven't announced yet. I don't know about Stackpole and Stover, but Zahn wouldn't be a surprise since Thrawn is releasing soon.

Also really agree on Dini. Apparently not his first Star Wars gig, as he has written three TCW episodes.
>>
File: joker-btas2.jpg (174KB, 660x494px) Image search: [Google]
joker-btas2.jpg
174KB, 660x494px
>>52588214
Dini's story had better involve a Jedi vigilante and a deranged Luke clone clown.
>>
>>52588214
What episodes?
>>
>>52588188
It's also blatantly useless BSing when you're looking at a free 120,000 spaceship. >>52587015 looks cool, tho.
>>
>>52583424
Which area of Star Wars lore do you prefer (canon be damned)?
>The Old Republic Era
>Height of the Republic Era
>The Clone Wars Era
>Galactic Civil War Era
>New Republic Era
>>
Information about the X-wing System Open winners is up, as well as how the drafting will work for the 77 point invitational.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/7/system-open-status-report/
>4/8 Opens were won with Fenn/Asajj/Manaroo
>2/8 were won by Miranda/Biggs/Stress Y
>1 win each for Palp Defenders and triple jumpmasters
>Draft order is just a straight rotation starting with who's Open had the most participants so the guys at the bottom just get completely fucked by draft order instead of getting compensated with back to back picks or other common methods to even orders out
>>
>>52588887
Oh wait I read it wrong, that system is just for the last phase of the draft, they aren't announcing how the first two phases work yet so it could still be balanced out.
>>
>>52588878
Galactic Civil War with an honorable mention to NR versus Imperial warlords
>>
>>52588878
Early New Republic/warlord era
>>
>>52588878
OT is fav, probably followed by Old Republic and clone wars. Honorable mention specifically for the Legacy comics
>>
File: image.jpg (237KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237KB, 300x450px
>>52583424

What's the best build for a character who uses a lot of dirty tricks and underhanded tactics in combat?

Using the FFG system, by the way.
>>
>>52586260
Really depends on your group. Technically it does form part of their starting Obligation and is a relatively easy way to herd all the cats into one area when beginning.
However, if you've got a small group, a little scout ship or something like a Firespray is pretty good for them as everyone will (hopefully) have some kind of skill to use in it. Very large groups where I've got 5-6 regular players, 2-3 irregulars and 3-4 ring-ins that sometimes pop by, give them something much larger (Sil 5) where at least characters who are 'out of game' are the ones maintaining it, looking after it while its in port and with any luck not drawing space dicks on every available flat surface.

Plus adventures on a big ship are fun filler-games where people have hoojibs loose in engineering, stow-aways with a mysterious past, gotta make bucks to maintain a big ship, that nexu kitten you haven't seen for a few months is a bit bigger and inter-group fights over refresher usage.

>>52588878
Sort of end up in Empire era a lot, I have a personal interest in the NR era as its comparatively 'open' to new things, but I'd also happily run around in the Clone Wars.
>>
>>52589304
Smuggler Scoundrel and Soldier Trailblazer
>>
>>52589448
This.
>>
>Has a movie character ever made an appearance in one of your RPG campaigns?

Oh god yes. One PC nearly beat Chewie in an arm wrestling contest out of sheer stubbornness, they've met pretty much all the main characters at least once, and thanks to them utterly changing history they ended up having to give Leia a ride off Hoth's surface after she made it to her transport only for it to be attacked by bounty hunters.

They're going to encounter another recognisable face real soon once they come out the other side of Friends like These; I sure as fuck didn't miss that hinting of the Tarkin superlaser's existence at the end
>>
>>52583424
You guys seen this?
>m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv_hGITmNuo
>>
File: Undyne Mitchell.png (2MB, 1200x1700px) Image search: [Google]
Undyne Mitchell.png
2MB, 1200x1700px
I've heard that in AoR, the DM should award 0-10 Duty per session. I want a codified system that is consistent, but flexible. These are the Duties of my players and I wanted to see if /swg/ thinks my system works or needs tweaking.

Enemy Demoralization: From the Fear guidelines table, gain 1 Duty for each point of difficulty Imperial survivors fail.
Space Superiority: Duty equals Silhouette of largest ship destroyed, plus one for each additional ship.
Support: Gain 1 Duty for each point of Duty you helped an ally earn.
Loss Prevention: From the Mass Combat table, gain 1 Duty for each level of force that survives under your command. On a personal scale, gain Duty for successfully protecting allied NPCs based on their tier (1 for Minion, 2 for Rival, 3 for Nemesis). Extra bonus for doing so at personal expense.
High Risk (Obligation): From the Fear guidelines table, gain 1 Duty for each point of difficulty that you surmount.
>>
>>52589304
>>52589448
These are both good choices.

Also anything using quick draw + grenades, nets, bolas, etc. to remove opponents from the fight is pretty good.
>>
Do kyber crystals generate power? Could you wire one up as a makeshift generator? or are they just a focus, like some lens?
>>
>>52590382
Focus
>>
People always complain about jury rig autofire being op but nothing comes close to Gambler's second chance and double or nothing
>>
>>52590493
No one wants to have this argument again.

Gambler requires more upgrades to use effectively and requires you to purchase all over the tree. Jury-Rig Autofire requires 15 XP and 1.5K credits.
>>
>>52588887
>>52588914
That means that Chumbalaya still has a chance to draft that Interceptor or the TIEs, and not get stuck with the stupid shit like that A-wing.

He only gets kinda fucked (draft 7th) on one of those.
>>
>>52588878

NR era up to the hand of Thrawn duology is goat. Cut everything off at Vision of the Future and you have the perfect ending for the OT cast.

All things told, though, I prefer nucanon's 30 years later status over the 40k rejects from 1999
>>
>>52590574
Please give me a break. Autofire can be neutured by simply increasing soak or just having multiple minion groups
>>
File: Mercykillcover.jpg (2MB, 1879x2850px) Image search: [Google]
Mercykillcover.jpg
2MB, 1879x2850px
>>52590618
Well, at least we got a few nice gems out of the Vong shitpile. The robot Lando army and Mercy Kill were great.
>>
>>52590747
If only we got more TIE Pilot-focused books. Fuck X-Wings and their Mary Sue pilots, sometimes.
>>
File: 1395885985817.gif (886KB, 175x144px) Image search: [Google]
1395885985817.gif
886KB, 175x144px
>>52590702
Not particularly as double or nothing is negatively affected by the same, it renders combat unfun for other party members, and few things can match the repeat hits besides certain blast weapons or crit weapons.

Also by the same logic, Double or Nothing is largely gimped both inside and out of combat by the Adversary talent.
>>
>>52590988
>Mary Sue pilots
>Wedge explicitly states that 50% casualty rates are generous for Rogue Squadron
>Both the Rogue and Wraith series ended with a pile of dead X pilots
>Both Rogue and Wraith squadrons rely heavily on allied support to survive
You wot m8
>>
>>52590988
This desu. X-wing pilot """"aces"""" with shields, hyperdrive, much better weapons, etc.

Fuck the Empire for treating their pilots like cannon fodder and giving them shit ships, but a TIE pilot had to be a fuckload better to become an ace than a X-wing pilot.
>>
>>52591129

This.

I mean fuck, how many in Wraith Squadron actually fucking managed to survive to the end of the EU?
>>
Hey /swg, I may be joining a EotE/AoR/FaD game in a week or so. Figured I'd ask here what I ought to look at, since the Referee's going to be in a meeting for ~4 hours I can't ask them.

Should I just snag all the core books and skim them, or would I be better served looking at several of the extra books too? As far as I'm aware the Ref has them all.
I guess what I'm asking is, what should someone read of the Star Wars RPG books if they're going to run in a game and don't know which, specifically?
>>
>>52591197
>TIE pilots
>Always academy-trained with access to the lessons learned from the Clone Wars, as well as Clone-era veterans
>Never short on spare parts
>Always have numerical advantage
>Always have agility advantage
>Almost always have carrier support
>Eat Ys and Zs for breakfast
>TIE Interceptor explicitly stated to be equal to an X
>TIE/LN laser cannon rate of fire in the OT
>Black Squadron going up against both Red and Gold at Yavin
>Holy fuck those movement dials
>Defenders
>Advanced
>Hunters
>Experimentals with fucking turbolasers
The TIE series is not and never was shit, and Rebel pilots aren't the only ones with crutches.

Aside from Luke, the vast majority of Rebel rookies don't get X-wing duty anyway. Y-wings are more common as newbie Reb craft in Legends, and Johnny Reb most definitely is at a disadvantage in those.
>>
>>52591346
Each of the Core books has all the rules you need to play. Of the three, EotE and FnD have the most divergence. From a player standpoint the biggest draw of the splats are the new specializations and gear so do your research on whether you would be interested in a certain book or not.
>>
>>52591346
I assume since you're posting on /swg/ you don't need to read the lore bits... Focus on the dice system, skills, combat system. Maybe the vehicle parts if you feel like playing a pilot. If you already know what career the other PCs are, maybe take a look at the career options.
>>
>>52591478
Forgot to add, all the core rulebooks have the parts I was talking about (except the careers, they're different in every game, and splat books add new options).
>>
>>52590702
Thereby fucking over the rest of the group, good job dickwipe.
>>
>>52591476
>>52591478
Makes sense, are Force Talents even covered in any but the Force and Destiny book?
Will make sure I look into the options before diving too heavily into the splats.
I think one of the others is a pilot, the rest I believe all tpk'd themselves last week.
That or they retired. Not sure.

One of them (not Ref) mentioned using the system as a generic one. Anyone done that with any success?
>>
>>52583424
In a one-shot I ran my players met Luke 20 minutes after his fight with Vader in ESB. He asked them to infiltrate Cloud City to wipe the navigational data from his X-Wing he left there, so that the imps wouldn't know about Dagobah.
They blew it up
>>
File: noice n tight.jpg (100KB, 500x762px) Image search: [Google]
noice n tight.jpg
100KB, 500x762px
>>52590702
Don't forget, certain environments make for harder times on the rock and roll.
>Confined spaces
>Cover and reduced range
>Darkness and smoke
>Delicate and or explosive objects
>Blowing a hole through a pressure seal

All that will wind back the volume of fire a player can bring to bear and impose difficulties on them, which in turn reduces their ability to trigger more hits or hit more often. The other trick is that when someone brings the BFG 9000 out is when allied people are in melee, on the bridge of a spaceship or any other compromising locale.
Drop that fucking darkside point and give em an upgrade to red- when it comes up with some sweet ass Despair, punish them! At the very least, you knock some adv/success off their top.

Essentially, if you're going to have a serious combat. Put it somewhere cinematic, a wide open street full of goons is going to get blasted to hell and back, there's little to no cover, usually very few penalties and aside from capping the odd civilian or putting a hole through someone's livelihood, usually no consequences. If the enemy is not wanting to play that shit, they'll hole up, dump fire back from an entrenched position and have fun getting the cunts out of there because a gunfight in someone's bedroom is an entirely different affair to just lighting up suckers across open ground.

Consequences
If you're not in some bumfuck hellhole where automatic weapons fire is common, send in "the cops"
Lighting the hood with military grade weapons, you can't hide that shit! People take it seriously in any civilised area and will reply with commensurate force.
They will scope it out with a droid+camera, then realise what they need, gather forces and neutralise that shit with extreme prejudice.
>>
>>52591919
Nice. That's still a solution. Aftermath? Was Luke pissed about losing his x wing?
>>
>>52591638
>Makes sense, are Force Talents even covered in any but the Force and Destiny book?
only in a limited amount.

>using the system as a generic one. Anyone done that with any success?
I've never myself, but have seen people discussing it. It seems to work if the GM rebalances or renames races and careers properly.
>>
>>52590382
I was under the impression they were space magic energy amplification crystals. IE energy goes in and much more energy comes out.
>>
>>52592625
Cool, I think there were references to a Low-Fantasy game using the ruleset they'd previously played in.
>>
>>52592903
>Low-Fantasy
There's actually an in-setting world that is basically DnD called Weik.
>>
Haven't gotten there yet, but what's the opinion on flying, piloting, dogfighting in the EotE system?

>>52593102
Yupp, that's what they were talking about. Thanks!
>>
File: dark souls.jpg (56KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
dark souls.jpg
56KB, 650x650px
>>52593102
Different anon here. How much Dark Souls flavoring can a campaign get on Weik?
>>
>>52593444
>but what's the opinion on flying, piloting, dogfighting in the EotE system?
Frankly, it's terrible
>>
>>52593444
It accurately simulates the lethality of onscreen and book fighter combat, and is alot faster than the d20 versions.
However in the case of an rpg, lethality is bad. Someone with maxed out Piloting and all the talents is not that much more difficult to shoot down than a rookie, but will be much better at shooting people down. Basically offense increases while defenses remain for the most part static.
Works well for the party in a light freighter that te system was designed for however.
You really do want to use some kind of house rules to make things work. Top post should have links to a selection.
>>
>>52593444
See
>>52593792

>>52593481
>How much Dark Souls flavoring can a campaign get on Weik?
It'd be possible, and mostly would hinge on the GM delivering good narrative to capture the dark medieval wasteland vibes of the Souls series.
>>
>>52593730
>>52593792
>>52593837
Cool, thanks guize. Will check that out and recommend to Referee.
>>
>>52590702
There's an easy fix to the Autofire problem.

Limit the number of shots you can make with Autofire to whatever your rank in the ranged skill is. If you have two ranks in Light and you're using an Autofire Light weapon, then you can only make a max of two additional hits.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-07-19h44m07s683.png (165KB, 480x386px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-07-19h44m07s683.png
165KB, 480x386px
>>52588214
>Apparently not his first Star Wars gig, as he has written three TCW episodes.
Deeper, anon. Deeper. He got his start with Filmation and the Ewoks/Droids cartoons.

>>52587869
>to the stormtroopers who never quite could find the droids they were looking for.
His name was Davin Felth, motherfuckers.
>>
>>52593886
A very simple house rule is just to make it always opposed gunnery VS piloting, with the difference in Handling giving advantage or disadvantage
>>
File: jedi uniform.jpg (41KB, 720x309px) Image search: [Google]
jedi uniform.jpg
41KB, 720x309px
friendly reminder
>>
>>52594896
?

... Now I kinda wish they had more of a space monk vibe going with robes, where you could tell how long someone has been a jedi by how faded their robe is.
>>
File: macho man force ghost.jpg (28KB, 500x241px) Image search: [Google]
macho man force ghost.jpg
28KB, 500x241px
>>52594896
>not posting the super secret true canon version
>>
File: macho man star wars.jpg (89KB, 500x702px) Image search: [Google]
macho man star wars.jpg
89KB, 500x702px
>>52595289
The true timeline
>>
>>52595296
>tfw the Imperial ace boss encounter uses Scathing Tirade over open comms
>>
>>52592353
He was bummed about losing that specific X-Wing, but considering the alternative, he understood.
The PCs did try to get to the X-Wing and retrieve it, or at least leave insults or holopictures of the slicer's ass for whoever opened the ship's systems, but they spectacularly failed all of their social/stealth rolls, so it was entirely a combat adventure, ending with a bang.
>>
Say I'm using the Sense power for its ability to upgrade the difficulty of incoming attacks. Does this require an opposed check (assuming I'm using it on a nemesis)? It requires a committed die to activate, not a check.
>>
>>52596313
No check needed.
>>
So I'm planning a droid mechanic for EotE and creation is underway; somebody recently said that point buy is best spent on attributes so I'm going from 1/2/4/2/1/1 and 4 talents to 1/2/3/3/1/1 and maybe just one or two talents. Is this optimal for a non-combatant character that may be used as an agent of subterfuge?
>>
>>52597058
I would recommend bringing another characteristic up and not getting any talents
>>
>>52597058
>>52597110

Since you seemed confused last thread about it, the reason people say to max out characteristics is that you can raise talents and skills after char gen, but it's next to impossible to raise characteristics.
>>
>>52583424
I consistently add the bounty hunters in doing bounty things and sometimes being adversaries to my more lawbrwaking groups. Also, i like to user jabba as a patron when the players start getting powerful.
>>
>>52583424
My players were hired as backup gunmen for dengar on a job a bit before the clone wars, if that counts
>>
>>52597058
You want your primary at 4. That way when you get dedication you can make it 5. Dump 170 of your 175xp in stats. Period. Unless you end up at 160 or some dumb shit.
>>
>>52598223
On second thought take 5 more obligation and spend 180 on stats.
>>
File: steel rehn.png (529KB, 788x466px) Image search: [Google]
steel rehn.png
529KB, 788x466px
What's a reasonable size for the first wave of a fully armed and equipped Imperial landing force on a relatively developed planet? Not Core World-grade development, but something that the Mid Rim would consider pretty high-end. Assume that each stormtrooper legion/Imperial Army division consists of 10,000 men, no hostile fleet presence, and that the Empire has deployed for a world war rather than a localized engagement.
>>
>>52598427
What's the population of the planet and how heavily armed are they, also their disposition to the Empire?
>>
>>52598427
shit, since they barely need stormtroopers and IA most of the time, they'd probably dump a couple million cunts on the planet, maybe ten million at the far side.
certainly enough to get 5:1+ numerical superiority over the local army, plus the advantage of orbital superiority, meaning most positions get nuked from orbit for a day or two before any stormies or IA show up
>>
File: gadsden boushh.jpg (26KB, 480x271px) Image search: [Google]
gadsden boushh.jpg
26KB, 480x271px
>>52598513
For ease of calculation's sake, let's say Earth-like population (approx. 7 billion), nearly all in open support of the Rebellion. Local Imperial support is negligible at best. Military tech level is Clone-era and the planet has a decent enough arms industry to supply arm and supply the vast majority of the planet's fighting-age males. Assume the worst-case scenario: every able-bodied, fighting-age man has volunteered or been conscripted for the war effort.
>>
>>52598590
In a case like that the empire wouldn't even bother with a ground mission, they'd just glass the place from orbit
>>
File: delta squad.jpg (38KB, 928x424px) Image search: [Google]
delta squad.jpg
38KB, 928x424px
>>52598637
What would the solution be for surface-to-orbit ion cannons and missile facilities? Large amounts of sneeki breekis followed by the aforementioned glassing?
>>
File: Purge the Xenos.jpg (154KB, 2000x930px) Image search: [Google]
Purge the Xenos.jpg
154KB, 2000x930px
Ever play a crossover with another setting?
>>
>>52598669
>What would the solution be for surface-to-orbit ion cannons and missile facilities
five ISDs pouring fire on it. sure they can hit one, but it likely won't die, and the other four will toast the facility
Alternately, torpedo spheres, which just eat surface fire and pour down bombardment

As a third, cheap option, a couple thousand TIE/LNs escorting hundreds of bombers coming from under the gun's horizon, bombing it to shit
>>
>>52598669
if you wish to be punched in the cock for being complete spacebattles cockmongerer, then it's assdisateroids from outsystem accelerated to way too fast and thrown with pinpoint accuracy at every installation before the land invasion, or just one big rock to kill the planet

otherwise, it's the kind of situation for the imperial navy's Dedicated Siege Platforms, which consist of an absurdly strong shield and a bunch of turbolasers on a giant metal square, to be oriented at the planet and shooting nonstop at everything of military value while tanking STO hits
>>
File: Parking like Tarkin.jpg (65KB, 752x423px) Image search: [Google]
Parking like Tarkin.jpg
65KB, 752x423px
>>52598590
Its going to be ugly
>Interdict the system- nothing gets in
>Bombardment of the planets main population and industrial sectors- your OE is 'kill everything not us'
>Foothold landing area will be a Sector Army Group size- 1.2mil personnel with 60-67,000 repulsorcraft and 14,000 heavy vehicles and artillery

Once they've got a stabilised landing area, start pouring in more and more ancillary units to annex a continent, also at this size they do tend to do combined arms with the navy fairly well. So its fast moving, heavy assaults and then bringing up or dropping in more forces to hold territory captured.
The sheer speed of being able to drop in troops nearly anywhere that doesn't have and enemy presence and starfighter support makes the Imperial presence very nasty, anything they can't crush immediately means they just surround and starve them out. Probably the hardest thing is orbital support where they can just dump fighters and the odd concussion missile on top of resistance and there's not much you can do against that.

Eventually though they'd probably have anywhere between 7-15mil imperial troops on the planet by the time its finally been cowed to the point that large scale, organised resistance isn't possible anymore.
They can and will starve people into the point they can't resist, no rules of war here rebel scum!
>>
>>52598774
>just one big rock to kill the planet
Yeah, but big rocks are just so...inelegant and primitive. The death of a planet demands way more ceremony and importance, a visible symbol that "Hey, we can kill you all and don't you forget it" to star in Imperial propaganda. A star that can kill you. Some kind of...death star...you might say. Yeah, clearly we need a Death Star for this job, because rocks are just so ugly and graceless.
>>
Are there any cheap armour options for 3 hard points? Upgrades?
>>
>>52598907
If you want armor that has 3 hard points for dirt cheap, you want armor crafting from Keeping the Peace, Customizable Armor, 4 hard points for 500 credits, and up to 6 if you roll super duper well. Pity it's kind of crap in every other respect, and you need your GM to A) approve crafting, B) have a group techie willing to make it for you, and optionally C) your GM allows you to cheese Practice Makes Perfect to add a ton of boost to make sure you get your awesome armor.
>>
>>52598931
Huh. Thank you, anon.

Fortunately, I am the group techie, so now it's just GM opinion.
>>
>>52595210
>?
Read the filename.
I'm bitching about fags who perpetuate the "PT created the Jedi attire" meme.
>>
>>52599208
>Read the filename
>Implying I didn't
>>
>>52587869
>Mallory Ortberg
Fucking Mallory? Goddamn, I was wondering what she'd been up to.
>>
>>52590382
Well everything before Rogue One came out had them as amplifiers. Then the Visual Dictionary had them talking about things being powered by kyber crystals and the movie calls them the Death Star and the lightsabers' power source.

Just go with the original.
>>
>>52598774
>if you wish to be punched in the cock for being complete spacebattles cockmongerer, then it's assdisateroids from outsystem accelerated to way too fast and thrown with pinpoint accuracy at every installation before the land invasion, or just one big rock to kill the planet

Eh, that's not Star Wars. It might have appeared in some Star Wars EU stuff but it's totally the wrong feel for the Imperials.
>>
>>52598590
Honestly? If we are really talking about an epic deathworld where every man takes up arms, the empire would drop in a few sector groups to take out the local planetary navy. Once those are destroyed, they would set up a blockade to starve the planet out, freeing up most of the imperial capital ships used to go elsewhere. Once the planet is suitable weakened they can invade at their own leisure or just wait for them to surrender.
>>
>>52588878

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I really like the time period around The Phantom Menace. The Republic is still the dominant power but the rot's starting to show. The Jedi are plentiful but not really going where they're needed (because they really just don't know where they're needed). The Outer Rim is chafing under Republic neglect and has mostly fallen under the control of the Hutts or worse. Holograms are still monochrome. A hot cup of caf only cost 7 decicreds. A GOOD cup of caf only costs a credit.

It's like the best, worst, and most interesting features of the 1920s, 1950s, and 1990s all rolled into a single time period. It's fascinating.
>>
>>52598676
no, but AoR meets Aliens would be sick as fuck
>>
File: XenomorfMystiker.jpg (1MB, 2144x3216px) Image search: [Google]
XenomorfMystiker.jpg
1MB, 2144x3216px
>>52601725
The old swedish translation of WEG d6 had Xenomorph Mystic as a archetype.

Some drawfag mocked this up the first time i mentioned this fact
>>
>>52588887
I've spent all day yesterday getting kicked in the nuts about that article and my goofy ass picture.
>>
We continued in Age of Rebellion last night, the second ever for myself and the gm.

We continued from the starting adventure, seizing a secret imperial base. I started my character for real, a Corellian hot shot pilot with a huge boner for swoop racing.

Myself, a human fringer, Twi'lek bounty hunter, and Trandoshan gadgeteer set about to get this base up and running. Almost no combat this time but it was still fun.

>Hired locals empire had press ganged into manning the base, deciding to pay them and not treat them like shit
>Negotiated with wild beast tamer clans, by way of the Trandoshan honor dueling the chieftain and winning
>Convinced secret supply runner to keep running supplies by playing a shell game with the no longer present lieutenant, including taking off with the shuttle as she was walking up to talk with him.
>Learned about a rebel operative held by the Empire in the a nearby city
>Schmoozed with fellow core worlders over swoop racing to get information
>Twi'lek and Trandoshan pissed off local toughs over some very weird dialogue
>Start a riot near the prison when the gangsters find us again
>Sneak into the base and grab the prisoner while chaos ensues
>Speed out of the city before the Empire can fully crack down
>>
>>52601725
This is what The death troopers book should have been
>>
>>52600436
>Eh, that's not Star Wars. It might have appeared in some Star Wars EU stuff but it's totally the wrong feel for the Imperials.
I'm pretty sure that's what the guy meant, yeah
>>
What can I use to play EoTE/AoR with other people online? All of my mates live across the world and Google doesn't give a clear answer
>>
>>52603788
Roll20, though one of you will need to pay for premium to make the API script work. Otherwise, you can set up a Discord server and get a dice roller bot.
>>
>>52603832
I remember when our bot took a dislike to me one time. I kept getting ones, and everyone else was doing fine.
>>
>>52603788
Tabletop Simulator
>>
>>52603903
This actually isn't a bad option. I was worried but it works decently well and the EOTE table on the workshop is pretty neat
>>
>>52588878

Galactic Civil War, tied with New Republic vs warlords.
>>
File: cursed-dice-andy.jpg (194KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cursed-dice-andy.jpg
194KB, 1280x720px
>>52603869
Least its pretty hard to roll many ones in FFG, though you can manage to suck spectacularly into levels of complete hopelessness with enough despair and threat
>>
File: 20170408_122437.jpg (127KB, 773x925px) Image search: [Google]
20170408_122437.jpg
127KB, 773x925px
>>
File: 20170408_122436.jpg (160KB, 722x890px) Image search: [Google]
20170408_122436.jpg
160KB, 722x890px
>>
>>52604432
That opaque, blue green base with the snow on it is fucking nice
>>
>>52604432
i-is that AT-AT peeing on a downed snowspeeder?
>>
I'm not trying to spark another fight between the pro-Imperial /pol/ Anon and Johnny Reb, but I fuckin' love this art.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (373KB, 1102x1688px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
373KB, 1102x1688px
>>52604769
>>
>>52604432
>someone actually gave time and effort to do this
>>
File: 20170408_122437.jpg (6KB, 460x100px) Image search: [Google]
20170408_122437.jpg
6KB, 460x100px
>>52604746
Yes.
>>
>>52604769
See liking the imperial ascetic or wanting to play or have nonretard imperial characters is totally fine. Doing real world justification of muh fascism and muh "fear will keep the systems in line" is dumb and super bait
>>
File: Miami_Vice.jpg (58KB, 525x350px) Image search: [Google]
Miami_Vice.jpg
58KB, 525x350px
>>52583424
Hey guys, what would be the Star Wars equivalent of Miami, Florida? I want run a game that omages pic related.

And to further this, what are the rough thematic Star Wars equivalents to real world cities or places? Like, what is space New York? Space Britain?
>>
>>52604838
*aesthetic.

ascetic is something completely different.
>>
>>52605039
Not on an imperial paycheck it ain't.
>>
>>52605002
>rough thematic Star Wars equivalents to real world cities or places
Coruscant is a mix of Rome and London. Corellia is a mix of America, Scotland, and Ireland with Coronet City sort of standing in for Space NYC. Baron Fel is sometimes Samoan depending on the artist, so Corellia may also have bits of Space Samoa. Chandrila is probably the closest thing to Space California in terms of culture. Kuat has Space Asians and the Empire's most famous spaceport, so it's probably a stand-in for Space Japanese port cities. Legends has a planet literally called Seoul V, so that's probably Space Worst Korea. Legends Concord Dawn is Space New Zealand thanks to the Fetts, making Legends Mandalore the equivalent of Space Australia by extension. Cato Neimoidia is probably Space China since the film Neimoidians have shitty Chinese accents. Taanab and Sulon have white people and lots of farms, so they could be the Space Midwest.
>>
>>52605039
Yeah my bad
>>
>>52605002
>Space Miami

Zeltros?
>>
>>52605002
Just make up places that fit.
>>
>disarms their military while organized remnants of the enemy still exists
>intelligence agencies are so incompetent that they don't know a third deathstar has been built
The New Republic deserved to get blown up, desu senpai.
>>
>>52605425
>disarms their military while organized remnants of the enemy still exists
outside of civilized space
>intelligence agencies are so incompetent that they don't know a third deathstar has been built
outside of civilized space

The only way for the NR to have known anything about the FO would have been to scout literally all of what was unknown space.
>>
>>52605425
I feel like that's one thing that's got kinda missed out, actually.

I mean, there's reams of information on how the first Death Star was built, especially with Rogue One, but I've hardly seen anything on how they're supposed to have got Starkiller base built.

Even though it's not them who have the galactic infrastructure this time around. I thought they only had the resources to build a couple of their new star destroyers, for instance.
>>
>>52605570
>if something is happening outside of our borders we don't need to know about it or care
>this is what New Republicans believe
>>
>>52605425
Honestly after what happened with the Republic not having an army in the prequels making a power gap for Palpatine to swooce right in with the clones I don't know what they expected the second time.
>>
>>52605625
>if something is happening on the fringes of the galaxy, it is unknowable without spending exorbitant resources.
FTFY
>>
>>52605658
>army of well supplied militant fanatics who hold a grudge against us
>ehhhh, it would cost too much to keep tabs on them
That cost benefit analysis sure paid the fuck off, huh?
>>
File: creepio.png (253KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
creepio.png
253KB, 540x540px
Just tried out Heroes of the Aturi Cluster for the first time and holy fucking shit, I don't know if I can go back to regular X-Wing. It was so fun coordinating with our whole squad against a larger force, and (at the risk of using a buzzword) the missions were all super cinematic. My favorite moment was when the Outer Rim Smuggler we were escorting got ambushed by a TIE Phantom while five regular TIEs were about to have it in range and in arc, but I managed to cause a massive clusterfuck of TIEs with two ion bombs and an ion turret, letting the YT run away with a few hull points to spare.

Any advice for house rules? I'm avoiding taking a twin laser turret on my Y-Wing just because I feel like it'd make things too boring and I feel like Predator would similarly be too OP. Also, as much as I love the A-Wing, I'm having trouble seeing a good reason for any of us to take it or the HWK..
>>
>>52583424
>Has a movie character ever made an appearance in one of your RPG campaigns?

I ran a what-if game for a bunch of people who didn't know shit about star wars years ago. Pretty much A'sharad Hett succeeded in uniting the tuskans and killed Obi-wan in their big duel at Lars's place. So the party lived in an OT with no Luke and no Obi-wan. They eventually fought a shitload of canon characters and eventually blew up the death star themselves. The final session jumped in between them infiltrating the DS1 (having used stolen interdictor tech to separate it from the fleet) and a huge rebel fleet fighting an imp fleet over Dak.

Arguably the best game I ever ran.
>>
>>52601816

I assume it was a wonky translation of "Alien Student of the Force", right?
>>
>>52605781
I had a HWK w/ TLT, Recon Specialist, title, and the pilot abilities of Kanan, Kyle, and Garven. Focus Daddy.
>>
>>52601816
>Xenomorph Mystic
Now you've got me wanting to run a Space Magicka campaign.
>>
>>52606032
Yeah they screwed up the translation of that something fierce. It was the same edition that had "Black-powder guns" instead of slugthrowers and some really wonky translations of Speeder and Speederbike.
>>
>>52606197
I was thinking about comboing Jan Ors and Keyan's abilities at higher pilot skill, but I kinda figured i'td be better to do that on a Y-Wing than a HWK. Maybe if I had more illicit upgrades, it just feels like the main use of the HWK was always the pilot skills, whiich in HotAC you can just put on anything.
>>
File: Charon_species.png (855KB, 883x796px) Image search: [Google]
Charon_species.png
855KB, 883x796px
>>52601725

Check out the Otherspace adventure modules from WEG D6.
>>
I've got $20 to spend on an X-wing ship for my GF as a gift (she plays Scum).
What do I buy?
>>
>>52606785
Does she already have a mando fighter? If so I'd say get her a scyk in preparation for all the rad scyk swarm potential with the new C-ROC pilots and upgrades.
>>
>>52606969
>Does she already have a mando fighter?
The Protectorate fighter?
No, she doesn't
>>
>>52607045

Then maybe it's time to fly eternal, shiny and beskar.
>>
>>52607045
Then mando fighter would probably be the better option, though I think getting her a scyk custom painted to match one of the paint schemes on the new pilots would be cooler.
>>
>>52604838
>muh altright
>muh fascism
>muh raycis
>muh fascist bait
>muh lol u lose nazis xd
>muh bigots
>muh xenophobes
>muh imperial slavery
>muh sexism

Fuck off no matter who you support. I'm so fucking sick of seeing people tossing around buzzwords without having ANY idea of what they're talking about.
>>
>>52588878

Galactic Civil War

though with canon be damned i do headcanon the empire winning and endor finishing in their favor
>>
>>52607134
>people calling me out
>buzzwords!!!!
>I won guys!
>>
>>52607134
Dude. The empire is undeniably fascistic.
You're just a sperg. Stop shitting up these threads.
>>
>>52607148
>>52607165
If you had any inkling of an idea of what fascism as a political system is, then you wouldn't say
>LOL EMPIRE IS EVIL CUZ ITS FASCIST
You end up sounding like a Tumblrina newfag. Politics of any kind don't belong in a Star Wars thread if they aren't about in-universe. That's what annoys me.

>you like the empire so obviously ur a pol fascist nazi
>you like the rebellion so obviously ur a leftypol commie marxist

Fuck off to both groups of people. Maybe people like the Empire because they like the Empire. Maybe people like the Rebels because they like the Rebels. Not only do real world politics not need to be involved, but likewise no one gives a flying fuck what you as a person believe politically. Live and let live. If you want to debate it and cause shit for each other, go to pol or to tumblr. The rest of us just want to have fun.
>>
File: Red Comet.jpg (49KB, 564x742px) Image search: [Google]
Red Comet.jpg
49KB, 564x742px
Can we just skip the Muh Empire vs Muh Rebels arguments and skip to the real intellectual debate:

Muh Empire vs Muh Zeon
>>
>>52607165
I hate both of you but you were the one who started the shit in this thread. Fuck off.
>>
>>52607204
You're missing the point anon, no one said you couldn't like Empire but when (as has happened in past threads you start getting
>Empire dindu nothing
>it's good to genocide billions of people!
>muh nationalism

Then yeah that is getting creepily fascist. You said politics don't belong in SW and I totally agree that's why Empire apologists need to fuck off.
>>
>>52607253
As >>52607211 rightly points out it was your side that started this shit.

Fuck off and discuss Empire vs Zeon instead.
>>
>>52607211
I didn't start shit, I only replied to that guy's sperging
>>52607253
This guy gets it

Now everyone drop the subject or go to /pol/ to talk about it.
>>
>>52607253
>You said politics don't belong in SW
Which is why you started this argument by making a political statement that fascism is bad? I agree with that statement but YOU not him brought politics into this thread.
>>
File: 1491078105332.jpg (135KB, 887x576px) Image search: [Google]
1491078105332.jpg
135KB, 887x576px
>>52607266
>it's only sperging when it's someone i dsiagree with!
>fascism sure is bad guys
>hey you go back to pol if you want to talk politics!

Relevant smuggie from previous threads.

Fuck off.
>>
>>52607295
>hey you go back to pol if you want to talk politics!
Yeah, people who want to talk about politics should do it on the politics board and not the traditional gaming board.
>>
File: 1485209653064.jpg (195KB, 1050x735px) Image search: [Google]
1485209653064.jpg
195KB, 1050x735px
Post Ships
>>
File: 17.jpg (700KB, 1329x1200px) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
700KB, 1329x1200px
>>52607208
SIEG
ZEON
>>
>>52607312
Nobody was talking about politics until some asshole gave his personal opinion on facism and fascists. Go to /pol/ if you want to debate it.
>>
>>52607312
>let's discuss how fascism is wrong and how it's terrible to like the empire because it's fascist

>hey are you sure you know what fascism is

>woah fuck you for bringing politics in this thread go back to pol you sperg!
>sure showed him, now as i was saying about fascism
>>
File: Ebon_Hawk.jpg (42KB, 800x470px) Image search: [Google]
Ebon_Hawk.jpg
42KB, 800x470px
>>52607319
Yeah let's stop the fingerpointing shit and get some content

Btw thoughts on repainting the HWK-290? I've seen someone do a nice white with red accents
>>
>>52607363
The only thing I said was stop talking about politics.
Everything else there were other idiots.

Personally, I think that everything in this general should directly relate to /tg/ but these shitters come here instead of the star wars threads on /tv/ and /co/ and fuck it up.
>>
File: 1491414132204.jpg (76KB, 624x408px) Image search: [Google]
1491414132204.jpg
76KB, 624x408px
>>52607411
>>52607363
>>52607348
>>52607312
>>52607295
>>52607274
>>52607266
POST SHIPS OR LEAVE FAGGOTS
>>
>>52607386
Do they have any models?
>>
File: Executor next to Manhattan.jpg (184KB, 770x690px) Image search: [Google]
Executor next to Manhattan.jpg
184KB, 770x690px
>>52607319
>>
>>52607505
Which one would win in a fight tho?
>>
File: 1346389415283.jpg (556KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1346389415283.jpg
556KB, 1600x900px
>>52607562
The cockroaches.
>>
>>52607295
>don't make fun of muh fascism
>respect my snowflake ideology

Such hurt feelings
>>
File: corran_horn_alt_art_web.jpg (17KB, 300x254px) Image search: [Google]
corran_horn_alt_art_web.jpg
17KB, 300x254px
>>52608383
>>
>>52608383
Make fun of it all you want, just not on this board.
>>
File: 1491518726303.jpg (672KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1491518726303.jpg
672KB, 1500x1500px
I need all your good starmaps of the SW Galaxy, please.

Pic related is the only one I have.
>>
>>52608691
http://www.swgalaxymap.com/
>>
>generate characters for an EotE game, three of the four players want to use humans
>"C'mon guys. The setting has a lot of diverse alien races with unique flavor, humans are boring and overpowered in this system."
>Make new alien characters.
>Start playing and every single in game event is based around the player's race having a negative or game ending consequence.
>trandoshan player gets maimed by a gang wookies that are just there to lynch trandoshans
>bothan gets singled out then thrown into prison because the local fringe world law enforcement responding to the marauding wookies assume every bothan is a spy, because bothans.
>Every npc interaction with the selonian is a clumsy sexist remark, because somehow every sentient being in the galaxy is aware that male selonians are second class citizens in a culture that is light years away from the fringe world cantina the game's currently taking place in.
>bothan and trandoshan players generate new characters.
>"C'mon guys, please stop making humans."
>>
>>52608775
>overpowered in this system
pffft. They really really really aren't
>>
>>52608691
>>
>>52608383
>don't like what i don't like
>muh hurt feelings
>>
>>52609106
>fascism is for faggots
>DON'T MAKE FUN OF FASCISM IT'S FOR MEN AND NOT FAGGOTS ONLY DON'T MAKE FUN OF IT

K
>>
Does anyone think Corran/Miranda is still competitively viable or is it dead?
I fly the list really well, but seeing the results of the System Open Series is disheartening.
>>
>>52609174
>typing out the equivalent of blithering and howling like an idiot and slobbering all over the keyboard
>'haha i sure showed those fascism spergs'
>>
>>52609174
>>52609305
Can you just shut the fuck up already, we're trying to jack off to impractical spaceships here
>>
File: 1481135131475.jpg (4MB, 2829x1928px) Image search: [Google]
1481135131475.jpg
4MB, 2829x1928px
The Munificent holds a special place in my heart.
>>
>>52608857
Yeah, I thought that too.
Especially because one of the players was a Rodian Gadgeteer, and the gm didn't say anything.
High agility jury rigged ranged heavy weapon is the go to munchkin build for EotE; right?
>>
>>52609489
>High agility jury rigged ranged heavy weapon is the go to munchkin build for EotE; right?
honestly, idk. I only metagame for games that I GM.
>>
>>52609181
I think Corran is probably pretty dead, too much shit with turrets and aux arcs and effects that get damage past evasion. Miranda will likely still have some life though with a lot of aces seemingly disappearing maybe bombs will go with it and people will be using her just as a missile and torpedo boat.
>>
>>52609508
Miranda's obviously still in.
Bombs are still fucking great, but so some reason nobody's using Conner Nets and Ion Bombs anymore, which I honestly don't understand since ion is great.
The loss of Corran is a pretty sad one to me, he's probably my favorite pilot in the game. He's really powerful and still tears through Imperial squads. You're right that he struggles against turrets.
Hopefully Synced Turret changes the meta a bit. TLT, as much as I run it myself, is OP
>>
File: bigger luke.jpg (95KB, 707x619px) Image search: [Google]
bigger luke.jpg
95KB, 707x619px
>>
File: imrs.png (265KB, 480x384px) Image search: [Google]
imrs.png
265KB, 480x384px
>>52609719
>>
File: 1491067778853.jpg (32KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
1491067778853.jpg
32KB, 567x561px
>>52609719
>>
File: uwing_01.jpg (424KB, 1800x1010px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_01.jpg
424KB, 1800x1010px
>>52607319
Big dump coming in!
>>
File: uwing_02.jpg (467KB, 1800x1012px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_02.jpg
467KB, 1800x1012px
>>52610151
>>
File: uwing_03.jpg (309KB, 1800x1007px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_03.jpg
309KB, 1800x1007px
>>52610164
>>
File: uwing_04.jpg (327KB, 1800x981px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_04.jpg
327KB, 1800x981px
>>52610178
>>
>>52610151
Absolutely terrible. Ship looks like ass
>>52610164
This is actually an interesting concept. It looks like a big bomber or assault gunship. A little too close to the droid dropships from Phantom Menace though.
>>52610178
Sleek and flawless.
Fly on, space-Huey.
>>
File: uwing_05.jpg (376KB, 1800x1011px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_05.jpg
376KB, 1800x1011px
>>52610197
>>
>>52609719
This contradicts my Small Han (or SH) theory, where I hate and dissapoint my parents and describes why a blue light saber is far superior to a red one
>>
>>52610151
top retarded

>>52610164
not bad

>>52610178
pretty cute

>>52610197
this actually looks really cool but it doesn't feel star wars-y
>>
File: uwing_06.jpg (385KB, 1800x1008px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_06.jpg
385KB, 1800x1008px
>>52610201
Some are a bit hit-miss, others are just plain fucking weird
>>
File: uwing_07.jpg (405KB, 1800x1013px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_07.jpg
405KB, 1800x1013px
>>52610230
>>
File: uwing_08.jpg (340KB, 1800x1014px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_08.jpg
340KB, 1800x1014px
>>52610245
>>
File: uwing_09.jpg (296KB, 1800x992px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_09.jpg
296KB, 1800x992px
>>52610258
>>
File: uwing_10.jpg (371KB, 1800x1009px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_10.jpg
371KB, 1800x1009px
>>52610269
>>
File: uwing_11.jpg (435KB, 1800x1013px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_11.jpg
435KB, 1800x1013px
>>52610281
>>
File: 986.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
986.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>spend years trying to get friends into playing 40k
>basically zero success
>start playing armada
>first friend I introduce to the game immediately buys everything
>within a month I've gotten two more people to buy into the game

I'm okay with this I guess
>>
>>52610281
I like this one, heavy fighters don't get enough love.
>>
>>52610201

>>52610197
So fucking cluttered, I don't know what else to say. It's like it's all greeblies and no ship.
>>52610213
Can't actually see enough of the ship to say much about it, but it does look a touch cluttered
>>52610230
I actually really like this one, it just doesn't fit the role the U-wing had to fit. It'd be great as a random backdrop ship in some hangar or junkyard.
>>52610245
One of my favorite U-wing concepts. Putting the wings on top of the hull really makes me think helicopter and this one is one of the best executions of that idea.
>>52610258
This one's pretty silly. Downsize that fuckhuge engine on top and move the gun back and you might have something
>>52610269
Another great helicopter style design. A little too sleek, it's probably feel more at home in Mass Effect than Star Wars.
>>52610281
it's a flying brick. Not bad, but not iconic at all.
>>
File: uwing_12.jpg (439KB, 1800x1010px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_12.jpg
439KB, 1800x1010px
>>52610291
>>
File: uwing_13.jpg (435KB, 1800x1009px) Image search: [Google]
uwing_13.jpg
435KB, 1800x1009px
>>52610305
I kind of like these ones
>>
>>52610298

>>52610291
yet another awesome helo design
>>52610305
That's 2-hull catamaran thing is so fucking dumb to me. It just looks so impractical it'd only ever happen in Star Wars.
>>52610314
My absolute favorite concept. The one and only Space Huey that would have made the space Vietnam fight even better.
>>
File: uwingflip.png (890KB, 1800x992px) Image search: [Google]
uwingflip.png
890KB, 1800x992px
>>52610269
This just looks upside down.

>>52610281
I like this one. Can really feel it screaming through while shit behind it explodes and debris ricochets off.

>>52610314
They feel like a Halo design.
>>
>>52610340
The flips look good if it were a repulsor craft like a low altitude transport speeder.
Having a cockpit under the wings in a way where the pilots can inspect the LZ makes sense in a dropship, IMO.
>>
>>52610339
>That's 2-hull catamaran thing
For a while I was thinking of making a run of larger SW ships that had a twin-hull design but it was more hulls being on top of each other to de-centralise the engines and reactors. So if you got one blown out it wouldn't leave you as fucked.
But time really wasn't on my side to really devote to the idea, I actually like sail boats more than speed boats so they might have had solar sails too :D

>>52610340
>They feel like a Halo design.
I guess with artists they need to hunt around for ideas where they come and influences tend to run along those current trends.
>>
>>52610439
>I guess with artists they need to hunt around for ideas where they come and influences tend to run along those current trends.
In the behind the scenes video on the U-wing they say they were drawing hundreds or even thousands of ideas for the ship per day in early concepting. When you're doing that much, it's easy to have some ideas come out similar to other works.
>>
>>52610474
The one they ended up with was quite a decent design and layout for what its purpose is. Considering how much time it had in scenes they really had to get it right
#7 above is probably one of the ones I just like from a purely aesthetic point of view, reminds me of something you would see in 1990's space sim games
>>
File: DeathStar1-SWE.png (606KB, 785x750px) Image search: [Google]
DeathStar1-SWE.png
606KB, 785x750px
Why did Leia lead the Death Star right to Yavin?
Leia even says that the empire let them go on purpose.

Why not go ANYWHERE else, to either throw off the Empire, or too send the plans to the Rebellion?

Hell, just have Han drop them off somewhere where they can steal or buy another ship, and THEN fly to Yavin.

Also why did the Death Star wait to fire?
It could have either fired through the gas part of the gas giant to hit Yavin, or fired twice to destroy the core of the planet in front of Yavin, then destroy Yavin.
>>
>>52610584
>Why did Leia lead the Death Star right to Yavin?
>Leia even says that the empire let them go on purpose.
>Why not go ANYWHERE else, to either throw off the Empire, or too send the plans to the Rebellion?
>Hell, just have Han drop them off somewhere where they can steal or buy another ship, and THEN fly to Yavin.
They wanted to mount the attack as quickly as possible, before the Empire could use the Deathstar on any other planets.

>Also why did the Death Star wait to fire?
It could have either fired through the gas part of the gas giant to hit Yavin, or fired twice to destroy the core of the planet in front of Yavin, then destroy Yavin.
Maybe the weapon is incapable of a doubletap for some reason, maybe it's too much strain on the reactor to fire it twice in one day or something.

Neither of these are explicitly stated, but the motivations of the cast and the Imperial decision not to fire early could be reasoned to make sense.
>>
>>52610618
>Neither of these are explicitly stated, but the motivations of the cast and the Imperial decision not to fire early could be reasoned to make sense.
Why is this not an acceptable defense when talking about the PT?
>>
Thread's slow, so I'm posting this guy's shit.
He's one of us and hasn't been posting his stuff here lately and it looks like he's views are dropping because of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jd6N3Ti4nM
>>
>>52610584
She had two choices:

1. Lead the Empire on a chase, and hope that they don't catch her before she can hand off the plans to the Rebellion, which is unlikely

2. Run right to Yavin, hope they have enough time to analyze the plans for the flaw that they were (presumably) told about before the Empire comes.

As for why the Death Star didn't fire on the gas giant Yavin, the reaction would presumably be unpredictable and therefore possibly dangerous to the DS as well. It's possible (and in Legends, it's definitely the case) that it can only charge up the main gun to planet-killing level about once a day.

If they fire it and it gets diffused by the gas giant's atmosphere or otherwise simply fails to destroy the Rebel base because they tried firing like that, then they'd have to wait to try again - by which point, the Rebels would have time to evacuate.

The best option was to wait to fire until they had a clear line of sight to Yavin IV.
>>
>>52610630
>Why is this not an acceptable defense when talking about the PT?
it honestly depends on the argument being made.
Occam's razor is the go to though. The least assumptions you have to make to have it make sense, the better.

>>52610646
I'm still here. I just don't really shill as much, people here don't seem to want to subscribe and there's always one autist in the thread who'll sperg out when you share some kind of OC. I figure I've gotten as many fellow fa/tg/uys onboard as a can for the time being. 2018 tourney series is still happening though, for Trioculus!
>>
>>52610630
Because the movie didn't spend enough time on it for it to seem important, and we suspend disbelief for the sake of the climax.

But the PT tells us that the plot and motivations matter, by giving them around half the film's screentime.
>>
File: __uglies___tie_class.jpg (133KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
__uglies___tie_class.jpg
133KB, 1024x768px
>>52607319
>>
>>52611863
>>
File: 1486617529404.jpg (336KB, 1920x1163px) Image search: [Google]
1486617529404.jpg
336KB, 1920x1163px
>>52611913
>>
>>52590493
Is that Jarael shopped to be a Pantoran?

...Why?
>>
>>52605002
>>52605238
What would Space Brazil be?
>>
File: Galaxymap_p1.jpg (1MB, 2400x1695px) Image search: [Google]
Galaxymap_p1.jpg
1MB, 2400x1695px
>>52608691
>>
File: star-wars-propaganda-poster-2.jpg (201KB, 640x896px) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-propaganda-poster-2.jpg
201KB, 640x896px
>>
>>52608691

>https://kainrath.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/galaxy_map-v1-6.jpg

It's not totally correct/up-to-date, it's a fan mod of the FFG map.
>>
File: imperialnavy-500x600.jpg (128KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
imperialnavy-500x600.jpg
128KB, 500x600px
>>52612378
My shameless headcanon is that the Tarkin doctrine succeeded and going into what would normally be 100 ABY the Galactic Empire has had total peace and prosperity. The Outer Rim is beginning to bustle, the Hutts have diminished, and the only conflict came from out of the galaxy, Vong or something, Imperial scientists aren't sure, as it took only a galactic day when they came in with hostility that the Imperial Navy incinerated their entire invasion force, and there was no time to study them.

Palpatine thanks all of the galaxy's citizens in a broadcast for the new century, and hopes it ushers it evermore prosperity for the Galactic Empire, the greatest government in the galaxy's history.
>>
File: Bolvan-Hija-ANH.jpg (1MB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
Bolvan-Hija-ANH.jpg
1MB, 1920x816px
>>52610674
>As for why the Death Star didn't fire on the gas giant Yavin, the reaction would presumably be unpredictable and therefore possibly dangerous to the DS as well. It's possible (and in Legends, it's definitely the case) that it can only charge up the main gun to planet-killing level about once a day.
None of this is stated in the movie, and the point of my post (not that I made that point IN the post...) is not that the plot quibbles are that important, it's that comparable plot quibbles in the PT are not defended like you are doing but are rather mercilessly attacked.

If I tried give a justification for some dumb complaint about the PT with the word "presumably" in there, it just wouldn't fly because people seem to ASSUME George fucked up, unlike with ANH.

Consider pic related, this would be mocked as the instance of stupid writing it is if it was in the PT.
Since it's in the OT, people defend it and (rightfully) call it not that big a deal.

>>52611528
That makes no sense. And that's exactly what I find so odd about PT complaints. They rarely make sense and almost always seem like after-the-fact justifications for irrational dislike. You are arbitrarily less charitable to the PT.
>>
>>52612124

Outer Rim part of the Trailing Sectors, if you're less generous... the Hutt dependencies, or one of the more meh sectors of the New Territories.
>>
File: they didn't stop.gif (5MB, 432x243px) Image search: [Google]
they didn't stop.gif
5MB, 432x243px
>>52612124
>What would Space Brazil be?
They'd be dominated by Space Germany in the Grav-Ball Galaxy Cup that Space Brazil hosted, and couldn't afford.
>>
File: Chagrian_female_LBE.png (549KB, 450x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Chagrian_female_LBE.png
549KB, 450x1200px
anyone got some nice art of some of the different races? I feel like it's hard to find any that isn't a twi'lek
>>
Why are all of the FFG pdfs in a mediafire folder instead of Mega where they can be more easily bulk downloaded?
>>
>>52611863
uglies are so cute
>>
>>52613230

Because this general is older than Mega. /swg/ maybe even old enough to remember it's predeccessor.
>>
File: moon.png (310KB, 671x682px) Image search: [Google]
moon.png
310KB, 671x682px
>>52612467
>That makes no sense.
>And that's exactly what I find so odd about PT complaints. They rarely make sense and almost always seem like after-the-fact justifications for irrational dislike. You are arbitrarily less charitable to the PT.

No, that's not the case.

I'm going to use a trio of sci-fi time travel movies, Looper, and Primer.

Looper is about a hitman working for the mob, who kills targets set back in time to him from the future- but one day, the person sent back for him to kill is his future self, who has come to the past with a grudge against the mob. Primer is about a group of engineers tinkering in their garage, who discover they've accidentally invented a time machine, and begin experimenting with how the rules of time travel work.

Both movies feature time travel as the central aspect of their premise.

But they're different in focus. Aside from the initial time travel, Looper isn't about time travel at all. It's an action movie, following the protagonist's journey to deciding to sacrifice himself to save others. The mechanics and details of how time travel work don't matter. The movie is about action sequences and themes of choice and consequence, using time travel as a starting point that is subsequently irrelevant.

Primer, on the other hand, IS about time travel. The characters spend days and weeks traveling through time, learning how it works, what they can and can't do. All of the conflict and crises arise because of the specific complications and behavior of time travel. If you don't fully grasp how their time machine works, you won't even be able to understand the plot.

It's like hard sci-fi versus soft sci-fi. Soft says "this is a warp drive, don't think about it too hard." Hard says "this is a warp drive, which works in this way with these restrictions and complications, and those are going to matter later." But in this case, we're talking about "hard politics" versus "soft politics", if you will.
>>
>>52615786
>trio

forgive me for being retarded

Anyways, to summarize:

A plot hole in an action-adventure movie is less distracting than a plot hole in a political intrigue drama. The prequels are 50%a poorly done rendition of the latter, and 50% a poorly done rendition of the former.
>>
File: zizek.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
zizek.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>52615786
>>52615807
?
You're still not making sense. The OT and the PT are much, much more similar in focus, style, and tone than Looper and Primer. You are using a very extreme contrast to artificially make your point seem relevant.

>>52615807
>The prequels are 50%a poorly done rendition of the latter, and 50% a poorly done rendition of the former.
And now this is just more nonsense.
They PT isn't any more poorly executed than ANH.
We're right back to the original point- you are ARBITRARILY less charitable to the PT.
>>
>tfw you think you may have a good group for once and are looking forward to your game.

Tuesday can't come fast enough
>>
File: Luke-promopicture.jpg (31KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
Luke-promopicture.jpg
31KB, 400x550px
This being the starting point of episode IV and the event that sets everything else in motion, I'd never before put a lot of thought into it.
The Alliance obviously has some financial backing and some military power. They've discovered extremely precious information that could give them a solid advantage in the war.
Why would they put all of that in jeopardy by going after an exiled military leader with a gigantic price on his head, and send that particular piece of information to him?
I mean, why did they need Obi-Wan in the first place? They have senior military officials that could handle the job quite well (and did, since Obi-Wan was dead when they destroyed the Death Star).
And secondly, if they really did need Obi-Wan, why didn't they send R2-D2 in different spacecraft directly? Why raise a gigantic red flag sending it with a senator who was under suspicion in the first place?
>>
>>52615965
One of the worst faults of the PT is how hard it recycles sets and locations. It gets boring fast.
Whereas the OT has a stronger sense of adventure and rarely recycles sets outside of ship interiors, and even they are used sparingly.
>>
>>52616046
He's a Jedi Master and a veteran of a galaxy spanning war.
His expertise would have been an asset in any case.

Having a Jedi on your side never hurts.

I mean the whole rebellion is built on taking risks.
Sure the whole thing could have been dealt with more elegantly, but considering a lot of it was retconned it comes together quite well.
>>
>>52616106
?
Each PT movie has more variety of location than ANH.

>>52616108
>but considering a lot of it was retconned
You wouldn't make this excuse for a comparable quibble about the PT.
>>
>>52616120
>You wouldn't make this excuse for a comparable quibble about the PT.
The PT was written and shot back to back.
So I guess...? I mean even that Leia is Luke's sister was something that was only decided during shooting the second film.
What's your point?
>>
>>52616143
>What's your point?
What do you mean?
My point is that you wouldn't take "it was retconned later" as an excuse for the PT.
>>
>>52616120
>Each PT movie has more variety of location than ANH.
Phatom Menace: Naboo, Tattooine, Corascant for like 5 minute, then back to Naboo
Clone Wars: Coruscant FOREVER, a little Kamino, Geonosis and Tattooine, which are both so similar in design that it confused most audiences.
Compared to ANH which had no less that 4 major locations and some great sub-locations of each. Even the different levels of the Deathstar felt interesting to visit.
>>
>>52616106
>and rarely recycles sets outside of ship interiors, and even they are used sparingly.
Lucas but the end of the trilolgy as he had planned it into the first film, i.e. blowing up the deathstar, because he wasn't sure he was gonna do the other two films. That's the only reason we got Deathstar II. So to say that there was no reusing of material is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>52616153
But I wasn't talking about the PT.
The plotpoint you were talking about happens in A new Hope.
So I don't understand what your problem is.
>>
>>52616158
????
You seem incredibly biased.

For TPM we see
>Theed palace
>Otah Gunga
>Trade Fed ship
>Theed reactor core rooms
>Mos Espa (Watto's shop, Anakin's home, Boonta Eve raceway)
>Coruscant

And that's not even counting more minor stuff like the Gungan hide out, the Theed hangar, the Queen's ship etc...

>which had no less that 4 major locations
Tatooine
Death Star
Yavin

What else?
>>
>>52616173
Read the thread, buddy.
>>
>>52616158
>Clone Wars
That's not even the name of the fucking movie.
What happened to shitposting? It's so low effort these days.
>>
>>52616213
Forgive me for forgetting the name of the worst movie in the series
>>
>>52616250
You forgot the name of The Force Awakens?
I don't blame you, it is a shit title.
>>
I miss when this used to be a cool place to come to talk about star wars board games, now it's just /tv/ faggots droning on about off-topic shit.
I mean, it got bad here in the bubbles around the new movies, but now it's all the fucking time and this general just feels absolutely dead thanks to shitter who would have a better time shitting up /co/, /tv/, and /pol/.
I've been reluctant to post for the last few days since it's been so fucking cringy here. But this thread sucks now. It's getting to be one of the worst threads on the board, where it used to be among the best. We're somehow worse than /40kg/...
>>
>>52616269
AotC is way worse than TFA. By a country fucking mile.
>>
>>52616331
lol
>>
File: lego tfa stormtroopers.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lego tfa stormtroopers.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>52616294
Then ignore the shitposters and talk about stuff that you want to talk about. And here's something to get shit back on track: what rules need to be changed/added to run a proper Lego Star Wars game in FFG's system? What is needed to capture that Lego-flavored goofiness?
>>
>>52616382
Now this Is shitposting! Autism blocks are shit.
>>
>>52616463
Then contribute something better and /tg/-related to the thread instead of bitching about it, bitching about the films, or bitching about the bitching about the films.
>>
Does anyone have a link to the imperial job list table for the FFG games?
Is it possible to run the games without maps and tokens or is it a must for these rulebooks?
>>
How do I hot shot pilot? Any suggestions on characteristics, skills and talents?
>>
>>52616503
Fine how about why is FFG so much worst than SWG? FFG is a boring and imbalanced as fuck. When a Rodian with a heavy blaster rifle can BTFO any inquisitor something is fucking wrong.
>>
>>52615965
>You're still not making sense. The OT and the PT are much, much more similar in focus, style, and tone than Looper and Primer. You are using a very extreme contrast to artificially make your point seem relevant.

I am using an extreme contrast to illustrate a point... yes.

>They PT isn't any more poorly executed than ANH.
>We're right back to the original point- you are ARBITRARILY less charitable to the PT.

So in other words, you're saying that the PT is just as good as ANH, and if anyone doesn't agree with you, they're being arbitrary?

The OT doesn't have any scenes of people arguing procedure before a galactic governing body. It doesn't have any scenes where a shadowy figure gulls unwitting servants into forcing a leader into signing an agreement to legalize a military action. The prequels spend time showing governance and politics and intrigue, which tells us to pay attention to those things. The OT does not.
>>
File: ackchyually.png (21KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
ackchyually.png
21KB, 700x700px
>>52616651
>The OT doesn't have any scenes of people arguing procedure before a galactic governing body. It doesn't have any scenes where a shadowy figure gulls unwitting servants into forcing a leader into signing an agreement to legalize a military action. The prequels spend time showing governance and politics and intrigue, which tells us to pay attention to those things. The OT does not.
Again, I fail to see your point, OR how it's directly related to the disscussion.

You said (I don't care if it wasn't you, this is the guy I was originally talking to and the it's the chain of posts you weighed in on
)>>52611528
>Because the movie didn't spend enough time on it for it to seem important, and we suspend disbelief for the sake of the climax.
I was talking about anything in the PT that was applicable to the first or both parts of this sentence. (and there are plenty.)

You jumped from that to babbling about muh politics. You're not right about the politics either, because they make perfect sense are and interesting, but as I said, that's beside the point.
>>
>>52616556
FFG doesn't seem to be the best at balancing or playtesting. Remember Deathwatch bolter rules? It's probably further hampered by the nature of Star Wars licensing and contracts. EA has the exclusive rights to Star Wars "electronic games." PDFs technically fall under the purview of "electronic games," so any errata would have to be released as physical copies--a logistical and financial headache.
>>
>>52616842
and are*
whoops
>>
>>52609482
>take 1000 to outgun a Mandator-II Star Dreadnaught
Christ on a bike, what's that? I've never heard of it before.
>>
>>52616999
Australian Satan, you've stumbled upon the crazed idiocy of one Curtis Saxton, who was for some reason allowed to write for the ICS books, and had a habit of filling them with retardedly huge numbers literally so he could point to then during SW VS ST internet fights
>>
>>52617045
Yeah, but what is that Star Dreadnaught thing? Is it supposed to be some kind of proto-SSD?
>>
>>52617081

So, going what I remember from the Anaxes system, the "Star Dreadnought" and "Battlecruiser" definitions are for even larger and heavier cruising ships, bigger than an SD, and yes, the Executor is among that class.

They're basically fleet or even sector fleet command-level ships which pack the firepower of a small fleet in of themselves.
>>
File: kongno.jpg (68KB, 600x513px) Image search: [Google]
kongno.jpg
68KB, 600x513px
>>52617128
>Battlecruiser
>Larger and heavier
That always struck me as weird. If you use IRL battlecruisers as an example, then space battlecruisers should be fast and relatively lightly armored.
>>
>>52617081
Yeah, the Mandator series were basically proto-SSDs in IIRC the 8-12KM range, built before the clone wars and later continuing in imperial service as late as the Remnant Era
>>
>>52617163

I think it's a scale thing. Even under the Anaxes system, a Battlecruiser is faster and lighter than a Star Dreadnought - but they're still fucking huge compared to more common conventional heavy cruisers and star destroyers.
>>
File: Home_One-TCG_Core_Set.jpg (649KB, 1280x962px) Image search: [Google]
Home_One-TCG_Core_Set.jpg
649KB, 1280x962px
Where's a good place to find more of the ICS illustrations? Cause I love those books, and they're useful for figuring out how to write stuff, but it's hard to find them beyond the basic PT-OT line.

Anyone able to help?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>52616999
No official looks to it
>>
File: none was spared.jpg (36KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
none was spared.jpg
36KB, 520x390px
>>52617045
>Australian Satan
If you ever want a laugh you should ask Redback about his late 90's happy fun time science email conversations with him, they're both physics nerds. Except one can beat you to death with theoretical physics and massive numbers, while the other one is massive and can physically dismember you with brute force.
Like the immovable object gets hit by the unstoppable force.

>Come run games again soon you old coot
>>
>>52613683
>>
File: Givin_Smuggler_Color.jpg (41KB, 508x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Givin_Smuggler_Color.jpg
41KB, 508x1018px
>>52617658
>>
>>52617674
>>
>>52617674
That Givin looks like an alien Wojak.
>>
>>52617706
>>
>>52617708
It's a given that their faces always kinda look like that.
>>
File: triocarlos.jpg (35KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
triocarlos.jpg
35KB, 500x367px
>>52617780
>It's a given
>>
File: 33a58b652ac3135439378845e906607e.jpg (240KB, 1236x1600px) Image search: [Google]
33a58b652ac3135439378845e906607e.jpg
240KB, 1236x1600px
>>52617758
>>
>>52617798
>>
>>52617886
>>
>>52617901
>>
File: Duros_Pirate_Colors.jpg (45KB, 508x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Duros_Pirate_Colors.jpg
45KB, 508x1018px
>>52617953
>>
File: MonCalWEB.jpg (51KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
MonCalWEB.jpg
51KB, 500x707px
>>52617972
>>
File: Nikto_HiredGun.jpg (47KB, 499x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Nikto_HiredGun.jpg
47KB, 499x1000px
>>52618028
>>
File: warrenprofile.jpg (66KB, 200x400px) Image search: [Google]
warrenprofile.jpg
66KB, 200x400px
>>52618039
>>
File: Xexto_Smuggler_Color.jpg (41KB, 508x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Xexto_Smuggler_Color.jpg
41KB, 508x1018px
>>52618076
>>
Why is only the abridged copy of Forged and Battle on the Mediafire? A better full scan has been circulated.
>>
>>52618087
>>
>>52617797
>JE-99-DI-88-FOR-00-CE.
>>
File: Jewl'aNightbringer-TOR.png (208KB, 524x478px) Image search: [Google]
Jewl'aNightbringer-TOR.png
208KB, 524x478px
>>52618099
>>
>>52618137
>>
Is Armada actually good or just another fiddley FFG game?
>>
>>52618215
It's great.
>>
>>52618164
>>
>>52618215
it's pretty shitty
>>
File: 1488007861381.jpg (1MB, 1920x2568px) Image search: [Google]
1488007861381.jpg
1MB, 1920x2568px
>>52618215
Don't listen to >>52618219 he is wrong. This guy >>52618368 has got the right idea. Armada is an even more imbalanced Xwing if that's even possible>>52618368
>>
>>52618215
Don't listen to>>52618505, Armada is pretty good.
>>
>>52618505
This.
There's no balance and it's overcomplicated for what it's trying to emulate.
>>
Y'all run any starfighet based campaigns? Got any stories to share? Bonus points for x wing related shenanigans. Or just tips on how to run such a campaign without making it combat grindy.
>>
>>52618782
If it's FFG, be sure to use official squadron rules or one of the many /swg/ houserule documents. RAW starfighter combat is too lethal unless your group enjoys X-COM-tier turnover rates.
>>
>>52618782

Never run one myself, though I possible have one in the offing soon, using an as-yet-undecided houserule from the listing in the swg pastebin.

As for removing combat grind, there's a few vague idea's im working on.

I mean, first of all, going for the Rogue Squadron/Wraith Squadron makeup where you have flight missions interspersed with ground commando missions.
Lots of social and stealth and shenanigans on ground to break it up a bit and stop it all being 'just' starfighter combat.

Hell my players have no experience with the EU really, just the films, so I could literally just run Wraith Squadron.
Lawd have mercy, but I'm tempted.
>>
File: doitfaggot.gif (1MB, 800x340px) Image search: [Google]
doitfaggot.gif
1MB, 800x340px
>>52618876
>Wraith Squadron
Do it!
>>
File: MiG-15.jpg (86KB, 980x697px) Image search: [Google]
MiG-15.jpg
86KB, 980x697px
>>52618876
>tempted
Do it, fagot.
>>
>>52618972
>>52618990

By 'im tempted' i meant 'it's pretty much guaranteed to happen becuase fuck yes.

Mission one ; we're gonna run recon on this weird base which has a possible secret lab on it. Possible indoctrination tech at work.
Yub yub commander.
>>
>>52618782

I've never gotten my players to go full fighter campaign, though I've had some ideas about it, and done some fighter segments.

General thread wisdom is pretty good, pick or make your favorite houserules to liven things up (I like to use actual ablative shields and most fighter vs fighter rolls opposed myself), use the squadron rules and give PCs an NPC (minion) wingman or two - don't forget to do the same for villainous aces. But also try and give those guys characterization, same with PC astromechs (and take a look at spending extra adv/triumph on cool Astromech bonuses in Stay on Target) so it matters if they get shot up and die.

Use the X-Wing series model, intersperse actual combat operations with training, downtime, mission planning and full-on ground operations - let players develop and utilize skills outside of the cockpit to feel more unique and keep things different. Infiltration, social, technical, etc. Also keep your actual fighter operations varied. Sometimes they're running escorts, sometimes they do strikes, sometimes they do the equivalent of BARCAP or interdiction duty, sometimes they're flying recon. Sometimes when you feel like being a real bastard, make them fly SEAD.

Lastly, follow the example of the really good fighter sections in the Films, TV, etc. Never use blank, empty space if you can avoid it, you don't have a CG budget. Asteroid fields and planetary rings. Nebulae and stellar nurseries. Debris fields. Shipyards, orbital platforms and other space stations. An ongoing naval battle over a planet. Different planetary effects, like a world with high winds forcing you to fly low, running canyon and wadis to avoid enemy defenses or radar, gas giants and greenhouse worlds with pressure and temperature too great if you fly too low, etc. Don't go crazy every time, but try to think of different environs missions can happen in and try to leave yourself and the players easy hooks to spend results on and do cool stuff with.
>>
>>52616651
>>52616842
*whistles*
>>
File: hohass ekwesh.gif (4MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
hohass ekwesh.gif
4MB, 400x400px
>>52619087
You'll definitely need to homebrew stat blocks for Gamorreans and Thakwaash, too.
>>
>>52619119
Oh Runt you wonderful creature.

Taken too soon, may he forever rip in peace
>>
File: Rebel V-Wing Shanks.png (126KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Rebel V-Wing Shanks.png
126KB, 450x450px
>>52618782

Running one myself in d6 right now.

As a general rule, things don't happen until they do. That sounds obvious, but a lot of it is fighters maneuvering into position, but within one fighter getting a lock on another, it's only a couple of rounds until someone lives or dies barring a major difference in skill. Starship guns, outside major differences in power like a heavily shielded one going against one with weak guns, will usually destroy an enemy within two or three hits, and every fighter has at least two guns. So if a TIE fighter manages to get into position to fire on an X-Wing, without being taken down, that X-Wing won't last long unless the pilot can juke really well and shake him off within the next round or two somehow. Since the empire believes in strength of numbers rather than an even fight, you'll usually have two or three fighters trying to hone in while that X-Wing is trying to get another one in it's sights. The empire may not be able to carry as many ships in a destroyer as a Mon Cal Cruiser, but they have more destroyers and more mid range carriers like strike cruisers to more than make up that difference.

Even then though, the difference between a heroic PC pilot and a generic TIE means they can usually juke it and either lose them or hold off til backup arrives. Of all the times my PC's have been shot down, two of them were because they forgot to roll for defensive maneuvers on their turn and got blindsided. Another one figured he'd try to hot dog it and dodge through a Lancer Frigate, but didn't see a TIE interceptor squadron launching on his flank from another frigate. An actually careful heroic pilot with more than the bare minimum invested can consistently dodge a whole lot of fire.
>>
>>52619102
>>52618782

Also, this isn't as solid advice but more like, something to think about and maybe develop on your own - but think about taking cues from mecha anime stories. You've got a lot of room for easy inspiration there.

TIE fighters make ideal "mass produced" scrub models of fighters for your players to cut their teeth on, a good attack roll might blow 2-3 minions away at once even starting out. Then as they attack more valuable targets or attract more attention, they can fight specialists in more dangerous models, leading up to enemy aces in specific fighters which might even be customized.

Give enemy aces personalities, even gimmicks to how they approach fights. Use talents (including stuff from specs like Rigger and Modder) to give them interesting moves and opportunities, and use modifications. Cheat, if you have to.

Also, remember not every encounter has to end in death, one or both sides could be on a time limit, which allows for the mission to be over before the fight is - to build tension and rivalry, but don't make it like a cheap serial where the villain gets away every time. Pick how rival and nemesis level pilots appear.

Also, general GM advice, never forget anything - never let the players forget something.

Your hottest shot PC wipes out 5/6 of a flight of TIE/LNs in a single op, making ace in a day, then gets away mission accomplished? Let them be surprised when in a few months, TIE pilot #6 comes screaming out of the sun in a Royal Guard Interceptor with shields, 6 laser cannons and ordnance pods, shouting out that pilot's name, declaring "I've lived every second until now just to kill you!"
>>
>>52619305

As for how grindy it is, imperial tactics tend to be grindy. Their solution to a problem is to throw an overwhelming number of TIE fighters at a problem and hope it's fixed before they all die. Players, even when flying alongside a full squadron, can expect to be outnumbered 2 to 1 or more. Given that rebels can only shoot down so many and a TIE fighter is pretty maneuverable, entire groups of them can swing around to blast one of your players if they aren't careful. A good PC build can juke that but players have this tendency to just forget to dodge in my experience, especially if they need to declare it ahead of time like in d6 dogfights. I've had it happen to two different players who were doing great, forgot to dodge and I didn't say anything, then an enemy manages to tear their fighter apart simply because they weren't paying attention to anything but the fighter in their sights.

The obvious solutions are either gun turrets or missile weapons to quickly deal with them. An X-4 gunship running support can probably occupy a whole squadron since it has six turrets bolted onto it. A few X-Wings firing at once on a weak spot can challenge a larger craft. A Y-Wing is a rebel darling because it can do both since it has a turret and torpedoes, even if the turret tends to need modifications to consistently take out fighters.
>>
File: I-7 howlrunner Fishbowl.png (223KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
I-7 howlrunner Fishbowl.png
223KB, 550x550px
>>52619669

That bit about Y wings is probably a good segue into one other thing I've noticed, which is that while sleek and fast fighters have their place, and good hull and shield strength will save your life more than once, in the actual thick of the fight a ship that's slow but strong will be more valuable than one that's fast but lightly armed. You need to either explode a TIE fighter or bust it up so bad it's forced to land or eject. Just grazing one while the others swing around won't get you very far. In the last dogfight I ran the PC's were using stolen and modified howlrunners and their backup was overhauled Z-95's. I make my maps at 50-100 squares on roll20 just so I can fit in to scale corvettes and frigates and what usually happens is that the players will rush in and engage, and it'll take two or three rounds for a slower fighter to catch up. Since the Howlrunners don't have particularly strong weapons they'd handle a few, but the concussion missiles were capable of doing more damage. One of my players who got shot down, but survived, opted to go for a Y-Wing when given the choice just because even though he's been saved by the Howlrunners superior shields and hull, he didn't like the damage he was pumping out compared to other fighters.
>>
File: Kath Hounds X-Wing.png (541KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Kath Hounds X-Wing.png
541KB, 1500x1500px
>>52619823

If you're looking for how NOT to make it grindy, the obvious solution is to throw TIE variants at them that can work in smaller numbers, or other imperial fighters. The TIE Interceptor is sufficiently fragile to die quickly, but has enough guns to actually kill just as quickly if it gets a chance. The XG-1 Assault Gunboat has the missiles to kill on contact, but is sluggish enough that you can probably deal with it if you're smart. The I-7 howlrunner can take a hit for a slightly protracted fight, but it won't hit hard enough to kill as quickly as the other two.

The other solution is to have the rebels plan missions to take the empire by surprise. A lightly guarded convoy with one squadron of fighters is even odds if there's something to take care of whatever isn't the fighters. A smaller forward base probably wouldn't have the latest or best, or anything in big numbers. A light patrol force can be overwhelmed by a larger group of rebels if you catch it in the right spot.
>>
File: battle_of_tingel_deepspace_besh_.jpg (529KB, 944x1200px) Image search: [Google]
battle_of_tingel_deepspace_besh_.jpg
529KB, 944x1200px
How to run starship (specifically different to starfighter) combat in FFG?

Considering doing one where the party are helping construct Echo base, and need to transport the various materials across the galaxy to Hoth. Was going to have them start with a Gallofree, maybe move up to a Blockade Runner later.
>>
I've just noticed there's no stormtrooper variant for jungle environment. Sure, there's a swamptrooper, but that's not the same...
>>
File: fist of fury.jpg (24KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
fist of fury.jpg
24KB, 400x225px
>>52617647
No we bloody well will not...
Still burning the candle at both ends looking after the kid, work, farm etc and we now have someone to look after her through the day, but she still won't sleep all night just yet.

>>52618876
>flight missions interspersed with ground commando missions.

Have a dig around for a tv series called Space Above and Beyond
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112173/
Its a bit dated now, but a pretty good show really. Aside from that Macross/Robotech and Bebop are easy enough to nick ideas from as well.
>>
>>52619937

Had some thoughts on this before. One thing you might do is actually look to Trek for inspiration, as Star Wars doesn't always have a lot of detail time on the bridge operations.

Crew complement permitting, PCs should probably tend to nice defined officer rolls, like one is the helm, one is operations, one is engineering. Allow them normal rolls and actions, and have them roll to represent directing any crewman they may have under them - basically. Scotty has plenty of extras around to bang on the things he hells to bang on, but they don't matter - if the Engy tells the team what the right move is they can get it done. If your crew is particularly good they might offer bonuses. If you don't have a person willing to roll for a particular job, then let the crew handle it as minions.

This isn't as big a deal in the GR-75, that doesn't have a huge crew so people are able to move around and do whatever as needed - but also remember that has no guns by default, they'll be glued to a fighter escort and even then the transport will be a big target. Don't be afraid to "pre spend" the hardpoints the ship has to give it an option for weapon mounts or tractors or something to keep it interesting. Also something I've done is actually given more value to a ship then it should with just hardpoints, but also had the PCs pick a "quirk" or negative aspect to the ship which is a detriment.

Otherwise, general notes about space count. Don't use just a blank void if you can help it - if you do try and make some other interesting aspect to the scenario (like being ambushed in a hyperspace node by an imperial patrol, or something). Vary up the situation. Should a huge fight break out, don't be afraid to bust out the mass combat mechanics, or just use the larger fight as the backdrop for just their part.
>>
File: Heavy Headhunter Leader.png (62KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy Headhunter Leader.png
62KB, 245x245px
>>52619934

The obvious corollary is that the empire can overwhelm rebels much easier. If your players are a smaller squadron and have nothing big to back them up, anything bigger than a shuttle is probably bad news. A Lancer frigate, or even a smaller Raider corvette or Tartan cruiser, is enough to completely fuck over an average squadron, since it's a bigger ship and even a volley of Torpedos won't guarantee a kill. An Imperial Frigate or Strike Cruiser, which is a fraction of a destroyer, still has enough fighters in it to play the numbers game and if not win, make the rebel victory Pyrrhic. Even with a smaller gunship like an X4 or a Blockade Runner backing you up it's very easy to find yourself hit with superior force, long before the scale gets even close to a Star Destroyer. If you check imperial tactics, even just one skirmish line could probably fuck over an average group of rebels.
>>
>>52620152
>>52619937

For the opposition, play fair, but don't let the rules keep you from doing something interesting. If the focus is on ships, let it be on ships - make enemy fighters blocks of minions, or a flight leader with a squadron on him (as GM kit rules). Treat enemy big ships similarly, but make sure to give them a bit of action economy to stay interesting - don't have them fire all their guns every turn all the time, but utilize stuff like the barrage actions to give some flavor and effect without getting too anal about it.

Generic ships (like say, an Imp Gozanti) might act with one Rival caliber officer as kind of commander who does command things, and then some generic minion block stats to account for gunners/techs/etc. Again, don't get too simulationist, ships have big crews, but let them feel as big as you need. The commander/bridge should be able to belt some orders or get some activity done, gunners might get a shot off - and maybe for a large ship let their crew get a dedicated action or two for support. Don't over clutter your encounter with multiple ships with multiple action slots - let it kind of flow naturally.

Follow some of that advice above for fighters about villains and nemesis for recurring NPCs. Give enemy commanders some personality, some flavor. Use talents to distinguish them, don't be afraid to give their crew or their ship a special quality or gimmick. Have people come back promoted or demoted. Don't be afraid to vary the opposition. The PCs think it's an imperial patrol, but really it's a pirate raid, a beater corvette with some scummy Ys after their cargo.

One last point, allow the situation to develop for the players to customize and feel at home in their ship. The ship is its own character. Even if it's expensive, arrange ways for them to pick some upgrades or adjustments to improve and make the ship unique. Let them find ways to make it home-y and theirs. Make them feel bad when people shoot it up.
>>
File: Maus Anchor.png (623KB, 2070x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Maus Anchor.png
623KB, 2070x1000px
>>52620335

However expensive an upgrade is, there's always a slightly worse, busted up, or shitty variant found on a wreck somewhere. There were thousands of battles during the clone wars and there's always an engine block or gun turret you can salvage SOMEWHERE.
>>
>>52620127

You say that as if I didnt watch Space Above and Beyond religiously as a kid.
That show was so ridiculous, it was great.
>>
>>52590618
Honestly, people who say "NuCanon sucks it invalidated all of the casts victory in RotJ" while defending the EU make me laugh. The new Republic barely got 5 consecutive years of relative peace, let alone 30. They were constantly fighting warlords, Thrawn, the Emperor (but the First Order is so unimaginative, guise), then the Vong happened and the New Republic ceased to exist. It literally didn't late as long as the fucking Empire did. It's successor, the Galactic Alliance, then went on to play at being more douchy than the actual fucking Remnant at the time, to the point that 200 years later they just said 'fuck it' and overthrew the GA with the help of the Sith, who were totally back. Literally everything ever in the OT completely fucked over.

In canon, the New Republic was far more successful (granted, largely because Palptine had a 'fuck over the Empire so no one else can have it plan' instead of a 'try to come back from the dead' plan.
>>
>>52620501
But Both Han and Leia are dead in the nu-canon.
Suck my dick.
>>
>>52620387

Oh yeah, salvage is something I've done before.

"Okay, you guys have dug an LAAT out of a boneyard, you need to fly it back to your base on a different planet and refurbish it. Try not to dent it up further on the way back".

They did not dent up the gunship, however the PCs had a very fun ride in their Lambda shuttle and some interesting rolls at the last minute. Bumped the nose of their shuttle into their hangar/warehouse and nearly had a flat spin right above the ground
>>
>>52620418
Hey, some people had TV deprived upbringings and might not know about it!
The interaction between clones and humans was also quite interesting, worth squirreling away for a game where its a little more rough.

Was also thinking at some point about having Centrepoint Station being "not Babylon5" when Corellia secedes from the Republic/Empire/New Republic and roping in adventurers to act as mercenaries to defend it.
because fuck ya'll, its spess texas
>>
>>52620527
Leia's got one more movie, then yeah. But so what? This was a passing of the torch to a new generation. Which is far better than Crystal Skull's "Indy is gonna keep getting his geriatric ass out of bed to fight whoever the bad guys were 40 years ago."
>>
>>52620501

The difference is the end result.

The New Republic was in constant shit, but it SURVIVED. The Jedi Order returned, fully. The galaxy may have had to be saved again and again, but at least it was saved.

NuCanon gave it a few years of corrupt politicians doddering around, but it's gone and gone for good now. The Jedi did NOTHING. Their peace was meaningless because it accomplished literally nothing.
>>
>>52620680
>The Jedi did NOTHING.
That keeps it pretty consistent with the prequels and OT though. The Jedi are really bad at saving the galaxy.
>>
File: raft temple of doom.jpg (50KB, 600x257px) Image search: [Google]
raft temple of doom.jpg
50KB, 600x257px
>>52620679
>Which is far better than Crystal Skull's "Indy is gonna keep getting his geriatric ass out of bed to fight whoever the bad guys were 40 years ago."
I still don't get the issue with Crystal Skull.

There were things as dumb as the fridge scene in the earlier movies too, pic related.
>>
>>52620680
>The New Republic was in constant shit, but it SURVIVED

No it didn't. It never even finished off the Empire, it spent all of its time at war pretty much right until the Vong rolled up and killed it.

>The Jedi Order returned, fully.

The Jedi Order spent most of its time fighting the Vong, the Killik, the Emperor/whatever Sith spirit was in this week, it's own government, each other...about the best that can be said for it is that it limped along for a extra couple hundred years before getting wiped out by the Sith. Again.

>The Jedi did NOTHING.
We don't know what they did, thirty fucking years have passed. To give you an idea of how much of a longass time that is...in Legends, the New Republic was dead (for five years) at this point in time.

We've skipped over a hell of a lot of time, SPECIFICALLY to give authors some room to write in new stories regarding exactly what the Jedi were up to before the Knights of Ren showed up.

>Their peace was meaningless because it accomplished literally nothing.
Then it was equally meaningless in the EU, bitch. Or maybe this franchise is called Star WARS, and there will literally never be an end to conflict because that's fucking boring.
>>
>>52620733
First off, a lot of people think that Temple of Doom was the weakest of the three. They didn't like the girl, didn't like the sidekick, or any of the rest of it, really.

That said, moviegoers have been conditioned to accept certain things. Surviving falls from improbable heights is one of them. Surviving a nuclear explosion is usually reserved for fucking Wolverine.
>>
>>52620768
>bitch
rude desu
>>
File: shamefur.jpg (158KB, 319x480px) Image search: [Google]
shamefur.jpg
158KB, 319x480px
>>52620817
Don't be a whiny little EU bitch then. Mission accomplished.
>>
>>52620865
rude desu
>>
>>52620028
You mean like a scout trooper?
>>
>>52620768
>We've skipped over a hell of a lot of time, SPECIFICALLY to give authors some room to write in new stories regarding exactly what the Jedi were up to before the Knights of Ren showed up.

We know what happens. They get murdered to the last by the Knights of Ren and Luke goes off to have a sad. We already know what the end point of any New Jedi student will be, because Word of God is that Luke and now Rey are the last Light Siders active.

Its the same with any PT Jedi thanks to the mandate that the only Jedi alive by ANH are Ben, Yoda and Luke. There's no wiggle room. Kanan and Ezra and Ashoka and any other Jedi who survived the purges? Their fates are writ in stone. They either die or fall. No success. No chance of happy endings because it's been mandated that its Ben, Yoda and Luke, full stop.

At least Legends had a bunch of Jedi that squeaked through the Purges because the Galaxy's a big fuckin' place.
>>
>>52620768

>The Jedi Order spent most of its time fighting the Vong, the Killik, the Emperor/whatever Sith spirit was in this week, it's own government, each other...about the best that can be said for it is that it limped along for a extra couple hundred years before getting wiped out by the Sith. Again.

The jedi did plenty of non military missions. What the fuck are you talking about?

>We've skipped over a hell of a lot of time, SPECIFICALLY to give authors some room to write in new stories regarding exactly what the Jedi were up to before the Knights of Ren showed up.

Well la de fucking da. Until something is even announced that's not an argument. If it was big it would have come up in conversation. But it didn't so we can't assume it happened.
>>
Hey, I'm writing an encounter with a mildly wealthy hutt and their entourage, and the confrontation may turn violent. My party is relatively new (two or three sessions approximately 15 exp from play), but EotE tends to break apart when there is a full group of PCs.

What kind of meat shields should I give the Hutt so that my party of six doesn't steamroller through? I was thinking a group of battle droids, a pair of rival level mercs, and maybe an assassin droid with an autofire weapon.
>>
>>52621547
Maybe have a good old gambit pileup? Like, maybe an Imperial Vice Squad blasts the door down just as it looks like a shoot-out is imminent?
>>
That's possible. I might do that if the party's Wanted obligation pops up, and it means I can use my stormtrooper meeples.
Thread posts: 356
Thread images: 114

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.