[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 454
Thread images: 43

File: dnd[1].jpg (340KB, 1746x498px) Image search: [Google]
dnd[1].jpg
340KB, 1746x498px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Trio of subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf

>Don't forget to take the official survery on Theurgy and War Magic
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52445635

How have you incorporated elements of 4th edition into your games?
>>
>>52454406
do people really care about these questions?
>>
>>52454406
>How have you incorporated elements of 4th edition into your games?
No.
>>
File: 1489520830531.jpg (42KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1489520830531.jpg
42KB, 600x800px
>>52454406
Pull monsters from 4e and try to balance them so it's not the same handful of enemies. My PCs really don't like the foulspawn mind flayer combo in the underdark.

>>52454435
Sometimes
>>
File: Distract And Deciet.pdf (28KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Distract And Deciet.pdf
28KB, 1x1px
Reposting! A few months ago some of you helped me make these magic rapiers, I added a new form to them and was curious what would you guys change.

>>52454406
No, I don't think I have, I have used Pathfinder/3.5 stuff but not 4th.
>>
>>52454435
I never bother with them when I make a new thread.
>>
File: Paired Distract and Deciet.pdf (28KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Paired Distract and Deciet.pdf
28KB, 1x1px
>>52454513
Paired Versions.
>>
>>52454048
I've never played a Monk and I'm just looking at the PHB. Why so hostile?
>>
>>52454554
He's playing 5e. he clearly doesn't have any fun in his life, and lashes out at people to compensate for his poor decision making.
>>
How stupid would it be to allow a monk to go 10+STR+CON for unarmoured defense if they want to do some sort of stronk monk as opposed to a weeb monk?

Everything else would remain unchanged, it's literally just the AC.
>>
Give me some good reasons why a bugbear might be non-evil and in with a group of adventurers other than the usual 'brought up by a different race at birth so follows their way of living'
>>
>>52454661
>reasons why a bugbear might be non-evil and in with a group of adventurers
>good

Pick one
>>
>>52454661
He got cursed with an alignment swap
>>
>>52454661
He realized that by not being evil, people are less likely to stick you.
>>
>>52454661
First explain to me why bugbears are "evil"
>>
>>52454700
Because goblinoids only care for themselves
>>
>>52454719
Why does that make someone evil?
>>
>>52454661
The standard bugbear would be doing jackshit most of the day. Why would you want on on your party?
>>
>>52454661
He has above average Intelligence for a Bugbear and barely survives a battle with an adventurer, who then spares him and converses with him, inspiring the Bugbear to stop being a filthy animal and to be an adventurer. Maybe his story arc is "meeting his hero" and being disappointed by it.
>>
If you had a feature that said you can take disadvantage on an attack for extra damage, how much extra damage would make that worthwhile?
>>
>>52454700
Because they generally bully/kill/enslave weaker races and like to beat the shit out of things because its fun
>>
>>52454735
Because objective morality.
If you don't like it, don't use it.
>>
So people say 5e isn't balanced around magic items and you can be as stingy as you want with them without hurting balance.

Is that true? If it is, will I break my campaign by giving out too many?

How do they balance the game around not having items?

Keep in mind when I talk about balance and being effective I don't mean like optimization. As long as shit isn't fucked I'm not big on optimizing.
>>
>>52454819
Objective morality doesn't mean that selfishness is bad.
>>
>>52454804
Disadv is essentially -5 statistically speaking. But then again you would need to factor in the chance of landing a 1 or missing out on a crit because of it.

I don't have an answer for you, but there you go.
>>
>>52454854
It literally does if that's how we choose to define it. Now fuck off and take your bait elsewhere.
>>
Can someone please explain the "new" shatterspike from Tales from the Yawning Portal Sunless Citadel?
>>
>>52454804
Barbarians Reckless Attack equals about a +4.5 to hit. So what's worth taking a -4.5 to hit?

Obviously I'd say less then GWM or Sharpshooter because it's a feature and you can use tricks to gain Advantage and cancel it out. Maybe you can double your damage modifier? So 16 Strength would be a +3, 18 a +4 and 20 a +5. Feels a tad weak though
>>
>>52454883

Siege Sword
>>
>>52454841
Martials need magic items to keep up utility wise. Casters less so.

The balance comes from only being able to "attune" to at most 3 items.

>>52454804
The answer varies depending on the AC of the monster being hit. For a very general proposition, consider the GWM feat. You can take a -5 to attack to get +10 to damage. This is generally considered great.

Disadvantage, when factored into passive perception, is ruled as a -5 to the check. So disadvantage is roughly equivalent to -5.

>>52454876
You can have objective moral theories that don't say selfishness is bad. Objectivism, the one promoted by Ayn Rand, is one such theory.
>>
>>52454841
>will I break my campaign by giving out too many
Depends how many you mean by too many. Giving everyone a couple of uncommon or rare things is fine. Decking the entire party out in legendary and artifacts might cause some problems.
It's also dependant on the party level
>>
>>52454916
>Martials need magic items to keep up utility wise. Casters less so.

Well, there's a reason why there are a trillion magic swords
>>
>>52454841
The only real things to be weary of are things that give a shit ton of AC or bonus to hit. Bonus to hit is a little less of a problem though because you want your players to hit things, generally.

But if your players can never be touched because they have massive ACs, then either you will never touch your PCs, or you ramp up a creatures to hit score to account for it which essentially makes the item worthless.

I say give out magic items, but don't shower them so that they lose value. Try to gauge player interest in magic items and have them genuinely feel like rewards. If you like lots of magic items consider lesser magic items that don't offer a lot of real utility, but they're fun and can potentially have lots of utility if the PCs are smart/the right situation arises.

For example: Bag with a rock - this bag has a rock in it at all times. You can reach into the bag and pull out a rock that fits perfectly in the palm of your hand. As soon as the rock you pull out of the bag leaves your sight, it disappears and another will be inside the bag waiting for you to pull out.
>>
>>52454841
Randomise most of the magic loot. Some people hate it but it will help balance a little bit when the majority of stuff they get are weird utility trinkets.

Most martials will need a +1 weapon somewhere down the line and Spellscrolls for casters.
>>
>>52454759
Volo's standard bugbear would go to the other side of the continent to never see anyone related to or present to their moment of fear and weakness.
If he doesn't, his god will blind him or kill him.
>>52454661
Volo's wise, he HAS to be claimed by another god, but Goblinoids are conditioned from birth to hate any non nature God that isn't their own, so it had to grow in another culture and yadda yadda. Maybe he found a holy symbol of a good god and became a cleric/monk/paladin or embraced the nature and became a druid? Maybe a dark weapon stole his soul from his dark master, making him a Warlock?
>>52454854
It's not "they are selfish" is that if they don't follow their god's will, they will get blinded or killed. And the "service" to them is assassination and martial combat to the death.
>>
>>52454932
The magic swords are the least important things a martial can get.
>>
>>52454883
It's a +1 longsword that autocrits objects and can't be damaged by any mundane objects.

What's hard to understand about it?
>>
>>52454949
>It's not "they are selfish" is that if they don't follow their god's will, they will get blinded or killed. And the "service" to them is assassination and martial combat to the death.
Okay, now we got something:

The bugbear resents what he sees as the divines enslaving him, and works against it, even as he does the minimum required to stay unblinded and unkilled.
>>
>>52454897
What I have in mind is a Barbarian feature, as I'd like a dexbarbarian who makes multiple weak attacks when raging, rather than a few stronger attacks. Something like a dervish.
>>
>>52454960
But are a convenient illustration of a larger point.
Martials are supposed to get magic shit. If your DM doesn't give your martials magic shit, you should be cross
>>
>>52454960
What are the more important things to get? I've always felt that bypassing mundane weapon resistance/immunity is the top priority for a martial, in terms of obtaining magic items
>>
>>52454990
Eh, personally I think the whole "DEX barbarian" idea works better if you give Fighter a subclass that gets a shittier version of rage. Basically give the damage boost and maybe some protective stuff but let it all work with Dex.
>>
>>52454916

I don't think you know what objective means.

In most D&D cosmologies morality is a metaphysical construct that's above humans (If it's generated by the gods then it's technically not objective, see Euthyphro Dilemma).

It doesn't matter what humans say or believe, in most settings the universe says selfishness is evil. So if we're talking about D&D alignments then yes, being selfish makes goblinoids evil.

In our world there isn't objective morality. Ayn Rand's objectivism isn't objectively correct, even if it's called objectivism.
Autists aren't able to conceive of worldviews other than their own which is why they feel the need to do stupid fedora-tipping shit in RPGs, like arguing about hypothetical game moralities or playing clerics of atheism.
>>
>>52455022
items that give you options in the 2/3rds of the game that aren't combat. Boots of Levitation is a good example.
>>
>>52454998
>level 10
>casters obtained custom magic items that give them +1 to spell saves and attacks, among other things
>ranger is still using a standard longbow
I feel bad for them
>>
>>52454961
so i can use it to break doors and shit?
how much HP do doors have?
>>
>>52455087
Depends
>>
>>52455049
Thanks for replying for me, but lets leave him be. I don't want this thread devolving into arguments about alignment.
The simple solution is that if they don't like it, then they shouldn't use it. Even if they'll never be able to grasp this as a solution.
>>
>>52455087
>how much HP do doors have?
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/rules.html#Objects

Wooden door: AC 15, 5d10 HP (likely resistant to some physical damage)
Iron door: AC 19, 5d10 HP (likely resistant to most damage)
>>
>>52455144
Thanks anon. Sword seems ok now.
>>
>>52455049
I don't think you understand what objective morality means.

Objectivism, if true, would be an objective morality, since the principles of that morality are universal.

Contrast Moral Relativism, where the right and wrong of a situation can depend on your culture.

A theory can be Objective in nature, and not known to be true or false. Similarly, a false theory can be Objective in nature and erroneously thought to be true.

in the context of this discussion, the predominant moral theory in the DnD setting could be one of these false theories that is widely believed to be true (in universe). It is still an objective theory, just an incorrect one.
>>
So I'm starting a new game this sunday. I'm going to be a blind mage - ostensibly a neutral abjurer, in reality an evil necromancer working for the bounty hunters chasing the party. DM says he digs the idea.

How can I keep up my facade in case anyone asks why I don't seem to be doing much Abjuring at all? Do you think this kind of stuff could end up causing IRL problems with the other players? I intend to go to their side eventually.
>>
>>52454977
Signs that The Brothers are displeased but not enough to cripple/kill would be:
>The Bugbear is vigorous.
>The dead heads of the enemies slain by his hands scream and insult him.
>The enemy of The Brothers, The God of Fear, blesses him.
>The eyes of the dead refuse to look at him.
>>
>>52454990
>>52455030
What class in 5e is best suited for a dervish archetype?
>>
>>52455242
Tell the players the truth but not their characters.

>>52455275
Either Fighter or Spell-less Ranger
>>
>>52455194
>in the context of this discussion, the predominant moral theory in the DnD setting could be one of these false theories that is widely believed to be true (in universe). It is still an objective theory, just an incorrect one.

Here's the problem in the game the gods of good adhere to the tenants because they are good. Therefore in an objective setting of D&D your argument is invalid because it was written to be a universal truth that was discovered and taught.

If you want your setting to be different that is fine, but in the context truest to the game you are objectively wrong.
>>
>>52455275
Ranger can do it already with the right choices.

Flavor wise, barbarian is the correct option. The poster who responded to you is stupid.
>>
>>52455275
Swashbuckler? Sword College Bard? Fighter?
>>
>>52455293
In the context of the game, good/evil are alien forces, as relevant to morality as Cthulhu would be in lovecraft. Their cults which you just mentioned, are similarly situated.
>>
>>52454658
Makes your initiative worse, and doesn't help one of the most used saves in the game.
I don't see why it couldn't be done for a different flavor, it would make you any better, but if you think it's worth it more power to you.
>>
>>52455290
>Tell the players the truth but not their characters

I do not trust them enough not to 'accidentally' let me die
>>
Hey, if I was to let a player play Spell-less Ranger (which I really want to do, they look cool as fuck and keep the party from becoming too spell-dependent), should I have them use the Favored Terrain shit, or the Revised Ranger's Natural Explorer? It looks pretty powerful, but the player is set on it.
>>
>>52454658
just let them replace dex with str for the purposes of str checks
>>
>>52455336
Oh my god you people are the fucking worst.
Fuck off. No one cares about your stupid arguments about morality.
>>
>>52455419
Natural explorer is much better, and as a DM you won't feel like you need to shoehorn in their favored terrain to make them feel relevant.
>>
File: mirage knight.jpg (242KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
mirage knight.jpg
242KB, 1131x1600px
tips for roleplaying a knight character?
>>
>>52455242

Do more Abjuring. You're a wizard harry, it's just spell preparation.
>>
>>52455566
Take the Knight option for Fighter, Protection fighting style to save princesses and use a Sword and Shield to hunt dragons.

Buy a horse.
>>
>>52455566
Good is not Nice.
>>
>>52455454
I feel like that would be too much, as they now have all the good stuff from both DEX and STR without investing in STR.
>>
>>52455566
Whenever you're making plans about how to deal with BBEG remember to ALWAYS insist first and foremost that you should dig a moat.
>>
>>52455535
obviously you care!
>>
>>52454960

Yeah, but over three quarters of all magic item in the DMG are amor, ammunition, melee and ranged weapons. Okay, and potions, which are one-size fits all.
>>
>>52454513
... Wow. Those sorts of abilities never fail to amaze me.
That perception one.
1. You must hit.
2. You must crit (It's possible to crit on non-auto-hit numbers, so this isn't included as a part of hitting)
3. The enemy must fail a save
4. The enemy must roll a perception check (This takes an entire action during combat)
5. The enemy must roll on their disadvantage die lower than their other roll.

You know, at the very least you could kick off the save part of it so they automatically have disadvantage.
You know the 'friends' cantrip? Gives somebody advantage on charisma checks against someone. The target doesn't get a save.
>>
>>52455566
Have the bard bang together coconuts behind you whenever you're traveling.
>>
>>52455606
But are there evil characters that are nice?
>>
Do belts of giant strength just make you magically stronger or do they make you insanely ripped magically
>>
>>52455650
yeah, that's a system flaw. The game says 2/3rds should be noncombat, but 90% of the rules are for combat.
>>
Actually, what happens if you have disadvantage on perception checks and your passive perception is tested?

Do you get a flat negative? Nothing?

It doesn't look like anything happens, but I assume the DM is probably expected you a negative.
>>
>>52454685
This is pretty much the reason why my chaotic neutral cultist isn't neutral evil like the rest of his cult.
>>
File: 593.png (27KB, 251x404px) Image search: [Google]
593.png
27KB, 251x404px
>>52455566
First off, be a Knight Errant. Much easier than a knight of a court, the DM will appreciate not making those connections to higher status. Second, create a code. It doesn't have to be honorable, it doesn't have to be nice. But make a code that a knight stands by. A knight without a code is no better than a heavily padded bandit. Then, write in a rival knight. It will be some cool shit if you just have another cool Knight Errant running around, who will just throw down and fight you whenever you meet, for fun or for murder.

Finally, do something fun with your coat of arms. Make it a cool symbol, or a funny one, or a tragic one, something that helps flesh out your character if it was to be asked about.
>>
>>52455731
Disadvantage = -5 to passive. Advantage = +5.
>>
>>52455731
crawford says advantage/disadvantage on passive perception is +/-5
>>
>>52455651
Noted. This is designed for a rogue, but having that universal language would be good. So dropping the save would not be too strong? What about the other abilities? Any major issues?
>>
>>52455687
Incredibly so.
Those are the ones you have to really watch out for.

>Fucking Bayaz...

>>52455716
Martials can use 90% of the other items as well for utility and engagement and stuff, it's just that the idea that "level 20 Wizards can throw meteors around but a fighter can only shake a metal stick" is a bit dead on arrival, because by design, no fighter is supposed to go long without getting a "Sword of making bad guys tell the truth about how they lost their virginity when you ask them"
>>
>>52455812
>tfw you DM for a game where the wizard should be playing a thief because they hoard all the magical items
>>
>>52455812
I'm the only caster in our party and I still want our fighter to be the first to get a magical item. I'm scared he'll get disinterested in playing because he can't do much besides stab things with a pointy bit of metal.
>>
>>52455747
>>52455745
Oh, right. I guess this is where the 'advantage is -/+5' stuff comes from when people try to value advantage.
Even though on average it's not normally 5.

>>52455781
It'd hardly be strong.
In the first place, the only real use of perception in the middle of a fight is to locate hiding creatures or other things such as hearing creatures approaching, since you can't be surprised in combat. And, again, making an active non-passive search check is normally an action.
Not only that, but on a character who only gets 1 or 2 attacks, they're not going to be critting very often. So it's already an unreliable source of a very niche debuff, without having to put a save on it.

Other than that it's fine, but it's a bit bland. It's basically 'You're not building your melee rogue optimally, so I built it for you', considering an 'optimal' melee rogue likely uses both mobility (which has auto-disengage on hit) and booming blade. ... Point being, it's not making you do anything you couldn't normally build yourself. Like said, the perception thing is very, very niche.

That said, hiding as part of movement is an interesting ability and likely very strong if that ever comes into play, considering enemies won't even know your location after you hide, yet alone be able to target you with anything. If they go invisible, they could literally walk up, attack somebody, hide and then walk around behind the target.

Oh, but that's just one of the swords, so-
>>
>>52455902
I try to push mine

>"Hey guys, you think I should go for the big guy, or do you want me to run over there and help you wack the minions one at a time?"
>Druid starts metacomenting on strategy
>Interrupt
>Try to put the most earnest face possible
>"Why are you asking us big guy? You're the soldier here, this is combat. *Lead*
>>
>>52455910
>>52455781
Onto the other one.
The charm after crit thing is pretty powerful, but it's only on crits, so that's fine as it is. Though it's a little weird to charm as part of hurting somebody, which could lead to some very unusual duels where if you can crit a lot you can just keep beating down someone while they happily accept your torture.

The extra 2d6 is probably quite strong at the earlier levels but it's not like rogues are powerhouses, so eh.

Then it just goes up to +2, 4d6.

Feels very much just a 'You deal more damage' weapon. And personally I'm not a fan of the 'you deal damage' stuff when you could have interesting story shit, but hey. They published the DMG and it's full of magic items I hate, some of which are very much like that.
>>
I know this will come off as strange but is there anything I need to prepare before I start roll20? I've been a DM since forever and in between sessions I DM for (2 of them are IRL groups), I've always wanted to play and thought roll20 could be a good avenue to sate that (For the record, I'm satisfied with solely DMing for my groups) That said, I have to admit, I'm getting some anxiety cause I'm not sure if I should just try out one-shot roll20 sessions to get a feel of how VTT is since I never done it before.
>>
>>52455985
Roll20 is a horrible bitch of a system and you'll be working against it more than with it.

Use Discord or something for talking, don't try to use the roll20 mic set up.
>>
>>52455985
if you're not the dm it's just plain easy. you have nothing worry about
>>
>>52455910
Alright, great points about the perception ability. Oh just to mention the Exalted forms won't be coming into play till like level 16+ for them, so I'm okay with the hiding ability.

>>52455961
It was meant to be the "You deal more damage weapon" so that's a good sign. Do you think 4d6 extra is too much? How about them paired up? Too much? Too little?
>>
>>52454661
defied the gods once, and the divine retribution it was expecting didn't happen. Mingling with non-goblins is the bugbear's way of pushing its luck, to see what it can get away with.
>>
>>52454678
non-evil
non-good
now if you think real hard, there might be an alignment that is between evil and good.
>>
Which monster races from volos would be most likely to be bards, if any of them were?
>>
>>52456244
Depends on if you want to be a dumb minmaxer or have something fun in mind.

Sneks are the best bards of course, but it is nonsensical for them to be a bard.

Kenku are some of the worst bards but due to their mimicry they can make the worlds best cover band.
>>
>>52456244

Tabaxi, Yuan-Ti, Aasimar, Tritons and Kenku

In that order
>>
Any tips for making a good one shot? My group's been busy with school and work ever since summer ended, and now I'm DMing a quick one shot game with them next Saturday.
>>
>>52456244
Yaun-ti of course

But if you value your life Probably tabaxi
>>
>>52456289

Go to the mega, grab an Adventure's League adventure for a level you like, grab the dungeons, the encounters and the traps, make up your entire story line instead
>>
>>52456057
Well, if you pair them up, that's auto-hide (Probably makes the perception disadvantage relevant since they might have to try to find you if you're invisible or something), +4d6, a pair of +2 weapons, a possible charm ability..

At least the +4d6 isn't on reactions as well.

The only real problem is that it reduces the options the rogue has (Much less point in getting magic initiate, much less point in getting mobile, less point in multiclassing a level of fighter).. But those are only a few of the options a rogue gets anyway.

Overall it probably gives them double a normal rogue's damage along with survivability from possible charm or hiding.
>>
>>52456244
Yuan-ti. They play the maracas.
>>
>>52455606
PHB good is nice.
>>
>>52456342
The 4d6 is on reactions with the Exalted form only and they are +3 weapons when put together when Exalted >>52454539
>>
>>52455687
>>52455812
>Those are the ones you have to really watch out for.
Indeed. My LE sorcerer offered to help carry the supplies into the store because he wanted to scout out the storeroom, not because he wanted to be a helpful person.
>>
So a tomelock with book of ancient secrets is the only way for a warlock to use ritual casting?
>>
>>52456447
Ritual Caster
>>
>>52456424
It says 'when you use your action'
Reaction is not using your action, so you wouldn't get a sneak attack unless you did something crazy like stored an action.
.. Which makes haste even more powerful because you could attack on your turn for sneak+4d6+3 and then ready an action and attack on someone else's turn for sneak+4d6+3 with plus three to hit and all that.
>>
>>52456472
That is correct for every version of Deceit except for the Paired Exalted version, which does not have the "When you use your action" statement.
>>
How would you attempt to communicate with someone who no one in your shares a language with?
>>
>>52456542
How odd.

Still, might be a bit much to allow it on reactions, but it's probably fine if you don't. Just depends on if they get some weird haste trick going.
>>
>>52456562
Comprehend Languages
Tongues

Use basic hand signals like pointing, waving, etc. Pull out some parchment and ink and start drawing simple self-explanatory pictures.
>>
>>52456562
Some versions of telepathy convey the intent of a thought without having language barriers. Other than that, there's translators. If not, then pictograms.
>>
>>52456562
The universal language: violence
>>
>>52456568
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you so much anon you have been a great help!
>>
>>52456289

can't you run Yawning Portal as a series of one shot? just pick one for the appropriate level and reflavour as needed
>>
>>52456562
Music.
>>
>>52455022
The biggest one for the game I'm in is stuff that grants flight.
The monk and the paladin needed items to keep up with the bard, warlock and (admittedly aarakockra) cleric's plans that tended to involve flying places.
>>
>>52456642
Found the bard.
>>
>>52455418
get better friends
>>
>>52456562
I've been in a party like this and it was aggravating and unfun for everyone. Get a Dwarvish 1 textbook (or whatever) and start studying.
>>
File: ilovewatermarks.jpg (43KB, 433x673px) Image search: [Google]
ilovewatermarks.jpg
43KB, 433x673px
How does /5eg/ handle their inventory?

Whenever I make my character I always make sure calculate the exact weight of everything, and making sure I have room for my items.

My standards:
>Items on waist and pack only where it makes sense.
>Everything else needs to be in a backpack, or pouch if its small enough
>Coins way 1/10lb and are put in their own pouch

Its tedious as fuck to calculate and keep track of, but you never know when a DM will question you on it.

Do you guys enjoy logistics problems? They add actual value to mules and carts/wagons, at the very least.
>>
File: 1483338502961.jpg (91KB, 944x308px) Image search: [Google]
1483338502961.jpg
91KB, 944x308px
>>52456621
I'm just some mad, harsh anon who hates everything and plagues the thread with munchkinism even if I don't munchkin in games.
Possibly being helpful somehow is merely an unintended sideeffect.
>>
>>52455738
danke
>>
>>52456753
I buy as many things as I have the gold for and don't give a shit about weight or bulk as long as it can conceivably fit on my person alone; it's no problem carrying a ladder in addition to all my other shit, but an entire barrel of oil isn't happening. I also have a wagon, but my inventory is on me.
>>
>>52456753
I normally don't factor it into my campaigns, but when a DM has me, I make sure to describe what I do with something when I get it, and write out a list of what I have. If I get chains, I put them in my backpack, loop an oil flash around my belt, buckle a quiver into the backpack, sword in the scabbard, ect.
>>
>>52456753

I have a wagon I stole from a gypsy and a manservant to fetch me shit I need from it
>>
>>52456818
>it's no problem carrying a ladder
How?
If I was your DM I would make you count as large for the purposes of moving through enclosed spaces, and give you disadvantage on stealth checks.
Seriously, is your ladder just hanging off your backpack?
>>52456839
That is good, as long as you aren't putting more than 30lb of stuff in your backpack you sound like you are doing it right.
>>52456849
Is your manservant particularly fast?
>>
>>52456868
>Is your manservant particularly fast?

If it's something I need fast, one of us has it on us.
>>
>>52456753
In my coming campaign I plan to use a slot-based inventory system, higher strength values unlocking more slots.
Smaller objects can bundle together in a slot.

Basically no real weight limit, more of a size limit.
>>
>>52456868
I can see how you can carry a ladder. Have it be in pieces. Pegs and pegs that you can fashion into one another to create a ladder that you can assemble in a dungeon. Opening on the bottom, tapered end to fit into the opening of another leg, and holes in the middle for rungs to fit in. Around 50 pegs overall, but it would work.
>>
File: telescopingladder.png (246KB, 570x1000px) Image search: [Google]
telescopingladder.png
246KB, 570x1000px
>>52456868
Same way I carry a 16 foot pole: it's telescoping / folding / collapsible.
Ain't you niggas ever heard of Dwarven engineering?
>>
>>52456868
>>52456924
Jesus Christ anons, don't complicate things. It's called a rope ladder.
>>
Thinking of making a Lizardfolk Kensai and dropping Wisdom but focusing on Damage instead. Could it work?

I get GWM and the same attacks as other martials, plus an unarmed attack, Extra mobility, AC equal to plate, and can spend all my Ki on the +3 weapon boost and flurry of blows.

My DM also allows you to change your minor stat boost so I'll get +2 CON and +1 DEX from my race.
>>
>>52456944
Rope ladders work for going down, but they're fucking useless for going up unless you have something to fasten it on top.
>>
>>52456924
Fair enough, but that is at least a couple minutes of assembly/disassembly right there.

A ladder does weigh 25lb though, so in theory having one in your backpack disassembled or not would only leave you with 5lb of space.

>>52456931
That doesn't sound like a very common item to have, what the other anon said would be more likely in my opinion.
>>
>>52455712
First one, unless you want to look like the Ex governer of California.

For Asthetic things like that, it doesn't matter unless the RP is at stake.

And once you pick one, stay consistant

>You go to the ball with the dainty princess
>"I wear my belt of strength just in case"
>She asks how you got so ripped in 3 hours
>"This time it's not making me looked ripped."

Don't do that ^
>>
>>52456956
I have a Dungeoneer's Kit, with all the rope, pegs and hammers you could desire
>>
>>52456947
Kensei weapons aren't monk weapons. You would not get to make the extra unarmed attack. The flurry of blows actually would sort of work with a lizardfolk kensei I think.
>>
File: wheeledbackpack.png (1019KB, 918x918px) Image search: [Google]
wheeledbackpack.png
1019KB, 918x918px
>>52456958
>not hanging your ladder off your backpack
>not having pic related as a backpack
>>
>>52456975
But how do you hammer a peg into the top of a cliff if you are at the bottom? Are grappling ladders a thing?
>>
>>52456987
It's been stated that they're meant to, they just fucked up the writing. RAI they do but RAW they don't.
>>
>>52456993
>how does rock climbing work
Seriously?
>>
>>52457002
Got a link to that? I have only seen tweets that say them not being monk weapons is correct.
>>
>>52456964
I would like to think that my dwarf has fire giant sized muscles but you're right it's the former no doubt

Also why is the character not attuned to it 100% of the time it's stylish
>>
File: Kensai.png (28KB, 622x210px) Image search: [Google]
Kensai.png
28KB, 622x210px
>>52457029
>>
>>52455716
Thats because combat is the complex part. My players usually do most of the actual RP on their own. Persuasion checks, intimidate checks, deciet checks. Things like that don't usually happen when they're: Persuading, intimidating, or lying. It's about the delivery for me not "My character rolled a 37 to lie to the guard even though he has no implication to believe me"

>inb4 "You're what's wrong with D&D, kys"
and
>"You shouldn't make the characters have their player's actual attributes"

We're all experienced players and we just got tired of rolling dice for EVERY DAMN SITUATION.

If you don't wanna play like that, go ahead, this is how we play.
>>
>>52457026
Then there's no point to having a fucking ladder unless it's for other players with shit athletics. If you're saying it's for the benefit of the other members than just say that.
>>
File: rock-climbing-ladder-composite.jpg (190KB, 700x404px) Image search: [Google]
rock-climbing-ladder-composite.jpg
190KB, 700x404px
>>52457026
I get what you mean, but it doesn't really apply to ladders does it?
I did a quick search to make sure, I don't think pic related is what you mean though.
>>
>>52454841
It's not balanced around everyone having a magic wardrobe. (2 rings, belt, gloves, boots, shirt, hat, goggles, amulet, cloak, armor and a weapon or two)

But everybody should have a couple magic items by 5th level.
>>
>>52457037
>combat
>complex
>5e

Pick 2
>>
>>52457056
The guy was talking about rope ladders, someone says "but you can't go up with a rope ladder", and he says he has a dungeoneer's kits with pegs, by which I assume he means pitons. He's climbing up the surface with pitons, hooking himself in so he doesn't fall, and then when he gets to the top he anchors the rope himself and the rest of the party can climb up solely on the rope or be hoisted up by the beefcakes who get to the top first.
>>
>>52456993
It's pretty simple wall climbing work. Hammer a peg, hook a rope, use it to get on up to the next one, unhook the peg before.

Once you get ontop, you drop the ladder

Pretty convenient for the wizard or when you need to assure a quick safe escape route from the castle you just burgled
>>
>>52457036
Weird, can't find that tweet but can find several of both Mearls and Crawford saying no on the exact same day. Seems a bit off to go by that one tweet instead of the several saying it doesn't work.
>>
>>52457090
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/808904018265341952?s=09

Seems to make it pretty clear. Sorry I should've just linked that.
>>
>>52457090

they both said that there was a confusion in communication.
The tweet above is what applies
>>
>>52457079
>>52457081
Yeah yeah, I got it from >>52457051.

It still doesn't hold the same merits as a conventional ladder though when it comes to ledges that AREN'T at the top of a wall, or when the wall in question is too solid to pierce with pitons.

For instance you could be trying to get the ladder up to a hole in the ceiling.
>>
>>52457107
You can rock climb on the underside of a surface.

Also, collapsible ladders.
>>
>>52457107
Well, if it's out of Halfling pitching range, but there's a familiar, or a convenient ranger companion in the party, they might be able to handle that.

You can still get there on pitons, but shit start's getting crazy tricky
>>
DM gave me 5k gold for a new level 10 character. Lore bard essentials. What should I buy? Im thinking one of the magic instruments from the dmg but not sure which.
>>
>>52457149
Either spend it all on the Cli Lyre, or do the Fochulcan Bandore.

You may want to do the latter, if you're into some pricy reagent spells. Scrying, Raise Dead and Legend Lore for example.
>>
>>52455961
A rogue is the most utility character I've every played.

That sword is necessary.

Just the +1 and +2d6 sneak attack makes the class viable in combat, and everything else makes them viable in Single combat. Otherwise they're fast targets that don't do shit worth of damage.
>>
>>52457101
Oh I couldn't find it because Mearls said Kensai instead of Kensei. Still think something is off that they still have answers dated after that one where they say it doesn't work but whatever, wouldn't be the first time their answers are fucked up.
>>
>>52457176
Honestly I feel that's what Rogue are. Not every characters role is to fuck out more damage. The Rogue should do less then the Fighter, Monk, Barbarian, Ranger and Paladin.

Their job is to sneak around, be skill monkeys and do some reasonabl single target damage. If you want to be a damage Rogue you go Assassin.

>>52457203
The game's retarded like that a lot. I am happy because the Kensei is very good at what it does, actually making a good monk without needing Wisdom as much.
>>
>>52457149
Liquors. Even if you sucks at playing, they will be too drunk to notice.
>>
>>52455566
Rub your lineage in everyone's face. Any insult to your family name demands reprisal. Even/especially if the insults are true.
>>
Think about this /5eg/

Redemption paladin
+
Hammer of thunderbolts with Giants bane activated

Do you charm the giant if it fails its saving throw?
>>
>>52457256

Better yet

Redemption Paladin
+
Polymorph

Do you charm enemies that you crush into a pulp as turtles, as some form of Kharma Wheel of Reincarnation deal?
>>
Alright fellas in an upcoming game I have decided to go artificer but in this game we role for stats and my stats are generally really good but I rolled a 5 so which stat should I throw it into to and any ideas to counter act it.
>>
>>52457283

STR. Your robot mount will be carrying your shit anyway
>>
>>52457283
Either the ugliest motherfucker in the land or just the dweebiest dweeb
>>
>>52457283
>we role for stats
find another game
>>
>>52457149
All instruments you're proficient in (30 to 100 gp), a draft horse (50 gp), a wagon (35 gp), feed for a month (1 gp), pack saddle (5 gp), Entertainer's Pack (40 gp), Light Crossbow (25 gp), a Rapier (25 gp), fine clothes (10 gp), 4 barrels (8 gp), 10 Ball Bearing Bags (10 gp), 2 10 ft chains (10 gp), Crowbar (2 gp), 2 Grappling Hooks (4 gp), Healer's Kit (5 gp), Holy Symbol (5 gp), 10 Manacles (20 gp), 10 oil flasks (1 gp),100 pitons (5 gp),50 ft rope (1 gp),50 bars of soap (1 gp), Empty Vial, (1 gp), 2 Steel Mirrors, (10 gp),100 chalk pieces (1 gp).

That will cover you for everything except food and water related issues, for around 300 to 400 gold. You have 4.5k left. Go wild on whatever you want.
>>
>>52454485
Any tips for monster conversion, anon?
>>
>>52457342
Kill the damn thing conversation is for humans
>>
>>52457176
If you want to do truckhugegainz damage, play a fighter or barbarian or ranger or whatever.

Abilities like being able to hide as part of something are much more rogue-ish: It can be used to grant them advantage or to escape combat or simply for protection from various things by concealing your location. Effectively more damage, but also utility and such. Makes you think in combat more than just 'Oh boy I'm dealing huge loads of damage.'
>>
File: mybaitcard.jpg (29KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
mybaitcard.jpg
29KB, 375x523px
>>52457073
oh fuck off, its more complex than standard RP with more steps involved than
>Make an animal handling check to ride horse.

Well made bait, faggot.I'm a faggot too for being baited, fucking happy?
>>
>>52457283
Str is probably your best dump stat, but also a little bit boring.

If you don't mind it you could put it into wisdom. Your character could be really shortsighted and unaware of his surroundings because he is always focused on his inventions. His inventions could help him make up for his weakness, for example googles that help him see (maybe to boost his perception)
>>
>>52457337
>no water skins
>only one vial
>no cinnamon
>no helmet
>no sledgehammer
>no portable ram
>no pole
>no ladder
>no string
>no block and tackle
>no candles
>no extra torches
>only two steel mirrors
>no flint and tinder
>no bear traps
>no telescope
>no bullseye lanterns
>no ink bottles
>no fishing tackle
>no tents
>no sleeping bags
>no whetstone
>no yards of silk
7/10; better than most of my party members, but still not reaching true FightGyver levels
>>
>>52457395
I understand most of this, and I'm adding that shit to my FightGyver list. But why cinnamon?
>>
>>52457390
>implying social encounters and exploration boil down to a single skill check

What shit DM do you have?
>>
File: dust did this.jpg (169KB, 952x618px) Image search: [Google]
dust did this.jpg
169KB, 952x618px
>>52457414
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ6bzrqjo4M
Torturing / disorienting enemies.
Also good for creating dust explosions (fire + any finely-ground flammable particle = boom), but flour is a cheaper alternative to that.
>>
>>52457377
Which is how I play my rogue, but the damage is still sweet, and crits with all those sneak attack die... I get diamonds.

Over all you're right, but it's still nice.
>>
>>52457419
I'm this guy >>52457037
>>
I need traps for a dungeon. Any recommendations?
>>
Rolling for stats, alternative methods:

>Coin Flipping
Take the standard array. You may choose to keep this, or gamble for a stat increase on up to 3 stats. For each stat you gamble an increase on, you have to choose another stat to gamble a decrease on. Each stat may only be chosen to be gambled on once (so no stacking all your decreases on a dump stat)

To gamble an increase, flip a coin. If the coin comes up heads, your stat is increased by 1

To gamble a decrease, flip a coin. If the coin comes up tails, your stat is decreased by 1.

>low variance, the lowest possible stat total is -3 compared to the standard array, and the highest is +3

>average enforcer:
Roll 3d6, dropping any total result below a 6, and rerolling.
Repeat 2 more times, to get 3 numbers between 6 and 18
For each number, consult the following chart, and find it's paired number:

You should now have 6 numbers between 6 and 18. Assign these to your stats.

>your total stats when doing this will add up to 72.
>>
>>52456753
Coins, by the PHB, are 50 to a pound.
>>
>>52457496
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/traps-revisited
>>
File: evil trap.jpg (130KB, 500x734px) Image search: [Google]
evil trap.jpg
130KB, 500x734px
>>52457496
Grimtooth's Traps for really mean shit
>>
>>52456753
Why buy a mule, that's what the fighter is for.

If you don't have a fighter, polymorph a forest critter into a mule, and charm it.
>>
>>52457496
An elfish woman with a massive cock
>>
File: Grimtooth's Traps.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Grimtooth's Traps.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>52457511
>tells you to come up with traps
>doesn't really come up with traps of its own
>doesn't make a hard numbers framework for the creation of traps
Literally useless.

>>52457496
Here's what you want.
>>
>>52457478
I don't think you're what's wrong with DnD, but what you are playing is definitely closer to free-form than DnD.
>>
>>52457496
Orb of destruction (or whatever the 5e equivalent is) behind an unlocked door.
[Yes I'm an asshole]
>>
>>52457533
sounds like a good time
>>
>>52457543
>doesn't really come up with traps of its own
>literal pages of traps that you can drop anywhere in a dungeon

?
>>
>>52457575
>A FIREBALL TRAP
>A SPIKE TRAP
>A SWINGING BLADE TRAP
So shit we already knew existed, great.

You'd get more inspiration playing Orcs Must Die.
>>
>>52457584
Do you just post pretentious responses anonymously to simple request for traps? Not "traps never seen before" or "traps not often seen in dungeons", just traps.
>>
>>52457544
It is, but it helps keep everyone in character.

This is the first campaign we've every tried the idea in and it's working out so far.

We started off using rolls then it got to the point where the checks were consistantly super high.

Our rogue has a minimum persuasion of 25 thanks to rogue feats and well placed stat buffs.
>>
>>52457623
Thank you bounded accuracy!
>>
>>52457612
Silly me for assuming this man needed some more ideas for traps than those which are already standard in the cultural fucking zeitgeist.

Like when someone asks for examples of furry rodents I assume he doesn't need someone to say rat, mouse, or hamster, but instead needs more outlandish creatures like pikas, porcupines, and capybaras.
>>
How should I do a Tiefling Warlock while still being interesting? I'm planing to go Hexblade and wanted to avoid having the pact tired into my race at all.
>>
>>52457665
not that porcupines are furry but you know what i mean fuckers
>>
>>52457665
>the tried and true are useless
>complains about cultural zeitgeist
>for a trap request
>with traps
>about traps
>picking and choosing for the requester what is worthy of posting

Who's heralding the "zeitgeist" here?
>>
Would a bugbear bard work or does bardness not really fit a bugbear? Maybe an orc would be better?
>>
>>52457746
Stop giving monsters class levels.
>>
What's the general's general opinion of the Artificer? I just read through it, and it seems like alchemist could be fun with no real damage output, and gunsmith seems like a bit of a one-trick pony...but a fun one-trick pony.

Also, can mechanical servants be healed?
>>
>>52457762
Surely the best edition of D&D where customizing monsters is disallowed because "muh boumded accuracy."
>>
>>52457688
They were on a dungeon crawl with a group of three others into an abandoned civilization's old church. By the time you got to the third floor, two of them were dead. You and the other character, let's say an Elven Rogue, were about to break into the final room of the dungeon when the Rogue activated a trap in the lock that, when opened, would fire harpoons into the door space, then have a slab slam down. The Rogue got harpooned, but you got away, but your arm was pinned and crushed by the slab. In the room, dying, you see the artifact you were looking for, which turns out to be a Hexblade. It offers you life and a restored arm, if you accept it's pact and spill blood in it's name.
>>
>>52457746
Let him be a jester.
Bugbears value two things, strength and cunning. Not art, so do clever pranks or tell/sing stories of mighty deeds.
A Hobgoblin would be better tho.
>>
File: 1310346961309.jpg (163KB, 900x1143px) Image search: [Google]
1310346961309.jpg
163KB, 900x1143px
>>52457176
Have you *looked* at Rogue damage curves?

A properly played Rogue is up there with GWM Fighters and Barbarians in terms of sustained damage.
>>
File: anywaytodothis.jpg (56KB, 894x263px) Image search: [Google]
anywaytodothis.jpg
56KB, 894x263px
Is there any way to make this happen in 5e at relatively low levels? If not at low levels, what would be a feasible time?
>>
>>52457809
>Have you *looked* at Rogue damage curves?
Not that anon, but I haven't. Would you be so kind as to show me or direct me to those?
>>
>>52457810
>cannonball enlarges inside the barrel
I mean, also, it would pretty much immediately fall to the ground as its velocity is insufficient to continue to propel its new mass and wind resistance profile.
>>
>>52457810
Not if your DM wants to balance the game at all.

Maybe mid game, level 13 up. But by then there could be better options.
>>
File: 1480695785149.jpg (51KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
1480695785149.jpg
51KB, 500x490px
>>52457513
You fucking monster
>>
>>52457838
it's magic, bitch, it doesnt need to make sense
>>
>>52454883
I want rules clarification on Shatterspike attacking held weapons
>>
File: monstrous adventurers.jpg (25KB, 382x144px) Image search: [Google]
monstrous adventurers.jpg
25KB, 382x144px
>>52457762
How else are you going to play them?
>>
>>52457838
Yes, because physics works in a place where giant lizards with less wingspan than necessary can fly and breath poisonous gases at you.

Fucking moron.
>>
>>52457847
That's fair, can't see it seriously be used as a viable powerful way to attack. Maybe limit the rings charges when used like this?
>>52457826
How DOES DnD handle velocity vs magically enlarging objects? We don't really have an equivalent example irl, do we? Haven't exactly researched this which is why I asked to begin with.
>>
>>52457838
what? As the cannonballs left the end of the barrel, they trasnform into heavier, larger rounds. increasing wind resistance, which would slow the shot, but if it already has the momentum is shouldnt slow to drastically?
>>
>>52457838
>>52457888
Sorry about that, meant for >>52457838
>>
>>52457888
To be clear.

A cannonball, on the low end of things, would do 8d10 damage each when fired out of a cannon.

That is beyond 3rd level spell slots, and could be done every turn, possibly twice every turn, with no limit.

This cannot work until at least 10th level, and would need to be modified heavily to make it have charges.
>>
>>52457235
>>52457377

I tend to think that classes should be designed with 'Function in combat' and 'Function outside of combat' separately. Rather than going 'This class is good at combat but crap outside of it' or the opposite.
>>
>>52457918
Noted. I'll see if it can't be modified to make it viable, and/or if it's just too much of a hassle.

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>52457838
Ok, Lets say the round does react to real world physics (lole) and looses 70% of its velocity, I dont know about you but a 10-30ibs projectile hitting you at anything faster than walking speed can do an incredible amount of damage to a person.
>>
>>52457496
Be extremely careful with traps. They can be difficult to implement in a way that is fun for the player and isn't just an HP tax.

If the trap is too obvious it's trivial and becomes silly. If the trap is too difficult to find it will appear unfair and seem like a "gotcha!" to your players.

do not take what is in the traps guide as gospel
>>
>>52457809
>a properly played rogue
I assume 'properly' means you need some sort of magic
>>
>>52457919
I'm kind of conflicted on the issue. On one hand a Fighter should be the best at fighting people with some minor utility. On the other hand people moan about average damage and combat ability like they don't do anything but fight a lot.

Personally my games treat combat as a last resort in most parties and don't make people roll for something they can likely do anyway. So I am fine with Rogues lacking the in combat staying power.
>>
Wait wait wait. Anti-Magic fields merely suppress magic, right? If the cannonballs were enchanted to become permanently reduced (or until dispelled) then yes, the cannonball would grow when passing through the ring but after leaving its radius it would revert back to bullet size.
>>
>>52457809
I am that anon, actually no, but I know my fighter friend does so much more damage and I'm level 11.
>>
>>52454804
I'll take "what is Great Weapon Master" for $1
>>
How is GWM for Kensei?
>>
>>52458047
Unless you're making a Monk Archer with Sharpshooter, take it.
>>
>>52457810
>>52457838
Did shrinking the cannonballs reduce the weight, or does it increase the density? In one of them, the cannoball maintains momentum, but faces negligibly increased wind resistance and noticeably increased drop off. In the other case, the ball dribbles out of the barrel because a rifle doesn't have enough force to fire a cannonball.
>>
>>52457983
Yeah you're right. It'd have to be a ring of dispel magic.
>>
>>52456643
>Draconic Sorc with a flying broom and the Flight spell

Someone stop me, I don't know how to myself.
>>
>>52457983
And this is partly why I asked. I've been playing DnD for well over a year now and I'm still very new to it. Especially with how many tiny things to think about (such as this), getting a second or fifth opinion/tip is a godsend. Thank God DnD is also very "wing it if you feel like it", it IS meant to be fun after all.

Thanks again guys
>>
>>52457919
I'm usually for that sort of thing. I hate the idea of people using pact of the blade as a bundle of combat buffs such as giving you medium armour proficiency when other pacts are more utility focused, for example.

However, it's fine to have a bit of a difference in power in combat. It even encourages rogues to try improvising actions a bit. Their damage isn't that far behind, and their damage is more reliable against high AC targets whereas a GWM/SS fighetr can't do so well on high AC targets. Also they have cunning action, evasion, uncanny dodge etc.
>>
>>52457890
First, the ring projects a field around it sufficient to disarm an arcane lock. Either this field is large enough that the ring can be pressed to the outside of the lock, or it's so small you need to insert the ring into the keyhole (if possible). Either way, the field is larger than the ring itself, so the bullet-as-cannonball would hit the field and enlarge before it clears the other side of the ring; it would get bigger in the barrel.

Second, F=MA. The force propelling our bullet is locked in; it's done, it's not going to be getting some increased propulsion as it travels. As our projectile magicall increases in its mass, the acceleration it experiences must drop by the same amount in order to keep the equation constant. And because the object is getting physically larger, it will experience even more drag, so the acceleration will drop to a greater degree as well.

The square cube law states that if you double an object's size, you octuple its mass.
We'll take a smallish cannon size; a nine-pounder cannonball has a diameter of 4 inches. The size of a musket ball varied from between .4 and .8 inches, so let's take the middle ground. Our cannonball weighs 9 pounds, and our musket ball weighs 0.07. Forget square-cube conversions, we know the weight of our different objects, so we know we can cut the velocity of our projectile down to 1/128th. We'll again take the middle ground in musket velocities, or 800 ft/s.

Our cannonball is now travelling just over SIX FEET PER SECOND.
You can throw a cannonball faster than that.
You can punch faster and put more weight into it.
This is a wholly ineffectual weapon.
>>
>>52457810

Even if it did work and something removed the reduced size
>Fire bullet
>it passes through ring at speed X
>becomes full size cannonball
>it's now moving much, much slower than speed X due to momentum being conserved (Why would it have more momentum?)
>>
>>52458193
>>it's now moving much, much slower than speed X due to momentum being conserved (Why would it have more momentum?)

Depends on whether the magic used conserves mass or not. Enlarge/Reduce, for example, does not. But if you're going to argue that momentum needs to be conserved by decreasing speed when mass increases, why can't momentum be conserved due to an influx of energy from the magic dispelling instead. After all, if momentum has to be conserved then the mass of the object can't be decreased without turning it into energy.
>>
File: 1483418033320.jpg (2MB, 2304x3072px) Image search: [Google]
1483418033320.jpg
2MB, 2304x3072px
Alignment:
Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (18)
Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (18)
Lawful Neutral -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (16)
True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (22)
Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (22)
Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXX (8)
Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
Chaotic Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)

Law & Chaos:
Law ----- XXXX (4)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Chaos --- XXXXXXXXXX (10)

Good & Evil:
Good ---- XXXXXXXX (8)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
Evil ---- XXXX (4)

What kind of character is this? Should the fact that good is more represented than evil somehow reflect in their character? And how would I even go about that?
>>
>>52458287
It obviously doesn't work that way because if it did, armies would have been firing ballista bolts out of their crossbows hundreds of years earlier.
>>
>>52458301
Chaotic Good but not strongly so. Basically think of your average video game protagonist. They generally dislike authority and aren't willing to give up everything for other people. They still don't break laws without reason and normally do the right thing though.
>>
>>52458175
thanks for the physics refresher, but all in all if I was the DM I'de have to begrudgingly give it to the PC as per rule of cool despite how fucked balance would be after the fact.
>>
>>52458349
Just give the party the giant rock from SKT that resizes when you activate it and have them take turns doing backflips over enemies and turning a fist-sized stone into a boulder and dropping it on suckers. There's no physics incongruities here.
>>
>MTG group is adament about starting a DnD campaign
>none of us have a clue where to start

Hoo boy, what do
>>
>>52458175
If we ignore physics, because wizards of the coast has said time and time again that DnD doesn't obey it because it allows for inconsistencies to cheese the system, you could modify the gun with lead in a fashion that directs the anti-magic field towards the outside of the barrel, so it doesn't enlarge until it actually exits it.
>>
>>52458377
Have they done any ttrpg stuff before? Not even DnD in particular
>>
File: tumblr_obndp6wVRW1tzf27to1_540.jpg (90KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_obndp6wVRW1tzf27to1_540.jpg
90KB, 500x800px
>>52457826
I don't have them on hand but can napkin math it out quickly.

At level 12 so everyone has their feats, GWF+GWM+PAM vs AC20

Fighter DPR: 22.66 / 39.99

Barbarian DPR: 18.85 / 33.28

(Sharpshooter + Crossbow Expert)

Rogue DPR: 18.84 / 31.42

Fighter comes out ahead given advantage (and this is mathing out Champion; Battle Master edges out better) because 3+1 attacks is strong, but Barbarian can give themselves advantage anytime they want - and with a source of advantage for both their attacks Rogue comes pretty even with Barbarian.

+ damage buffs obviously benefit Fighter and Barbarian more than Rogue, but the big difference comes when you apply Haste, because that's just a ~33% DPR increase for Fighter and ~50% for Barbarian, but for Rogues it's almost double: they can use their Haste action to attack, and their normal action to hold and attack on a different turn, applying Sneak Attack twice.

And Rogues can self-cast Haste and ensure advantage on both these Sneak Attacks at 14.

And speaking of, if a Rogue has a reliable source of Reaction attacks, they *are* going to be doing more damage than a Fighter or Barbarian before level 11.
>>
>>52458377
Download the starter set adventure, Lost Mine of Phandelver, then have everyone read the PHB (but especially the DM).
>>
File: 1490231251677.jpg (43KB, 300x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490231251677.jpg
43KB, 300x500px
>>52457851
>>52457880
Can magic modify the properties of the cannonball? Sure.

But the gun and the cannonball are not inherently magical.

When the gun is fired, the musket ball has X Newtons of force behind it, pushing an object of Y mass. When the magical force holding the cannonball as small is dispelled, the cannonball expands to normal size, but the gun does not do anything else. So the force stays the same, but the mass it's acting on increases greatly, so obviously it can't move the mass as easily. It's the equivalent of lifting a 5 pound dumbbell, putting it down, and saying that allows you to lift anything as long as you do it immediately after.

Also, using dragons as an example of why physics doesn't work in D&D is retarded, because dragons are inherently magical creatures.
>>
>>52458415
No, which would obviously be a problem
>>
>>52458342
Those type of arced weapons would actually receive more downward momentum this way than normally, at the cost of reduced range. Assuming at this point that we're just manually dispelling the magic at the apex of the arc.
>>
>tfw you'd be better off doing the hammerthrow than using this gun
>>
>>52458349
If you disregard what I said here: >>52457983, there's still a very easy way to reach a compromise where he can still do it, but not frequently enough that it breaks the game.

>Bullet crosses into the ring's radius, reverts back to canonball
>Growing cannonball utterly wrecks the end of the rifle barrel
>Anti-magic ring falls off rifle somewhere on the ground

So it pretty much becomes a short rest power, since they'll need to fix the gun (or fit the ring to another rifle) after every use.
>>
>>52458420
Not a bad idea. My worry is that they'll get bored. I don't think they realize just how long and involved campaigns can be, based on some stuff I've read here.

And as an outsider, DnD looks like it takes a lot more planning and reading to get started, which I also don't think they'd be a fan of
>>
>>52458372
shit that sounds tite as hell
>>
>>52458424
Do they at least understand the basics of how DnD and tabletop RP works in general?
>>
>>52458372
Think I just found a good magic weapon for the party monk.
>>
File: the ring and the cannonball.png (16KB, 1408x1132px) Image search: [Google]
the ring and the cannonball.png
16KB, 1408x1132px
Am I wrong?
>>
>>52458583
Not a single thing in 5e causes damage upon size change or teleportation to the object in that space.

The magic either doesn't work, squeezes as best it can, or shunted elsewhere. I'd imagine its the inherent nature and physics of the planes.

In this specific case, it'd probably just fall to the ground nearby.
>>
>>52458632
Isn't Enlarge restricted so that you can't go too big for that specific purpose?
>>
>>52458423
>not inherently magical
So things that have spells cast on them are not magical? What?

O, you're bringing actual science up in this bitch now?

How about "rule of cool" because your physics math means dick all to people who can create FIRTE out of literally NOTHING, use telekinesis and stop tiome without inflicting devastatign destruction on a planetwide scale as physics is subverted and the angular momentum of the entire universe is put on hold while time stop is in effect.

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
File: Effmo art.jpg (205KB, 736x1361px) Image search: [Google]
Effmo art.jpg
205KB, 736x1361px
>>52458475
Most people I play with don't read or think about DnD as much as /tg/ does, we're a community that obsesses about things.

It's very possible to read a bit and start and have a good time.
>>
>>52458685
>use telekinesis and stop tiome without inflicting devastatign destruction on a planetwide scale as physics is subverted and the angular momentum of the entire universe is put on hold while time stop is in effect

Huh, haven't thought about the time stop thing before. How often, statistically, is the world frozen for a few seconds by a high-level wizard?
>>
>>52458741
How many loaves of bread have you eaten in your life?
>>
So is it Canon now that all Tieflings are red, horned devil people? Or are there still ones that look like kinda like weird unnatural humans but not immediately recognisable as Tieflings?
>>
>>52458791
Very few because I have problems with gluten.

How many shitty memes have you memed in your life?
>>
File: 1477889423600.png (156KB, 342x276px) Image search: [Google]
1477889423600.png
156KB, 342x276px
>>52458685
Time stop is a magical effect. Magical fire is magical. Magic is a force that modifies reality.

The RING is inherently magical, but a fucking cannonball is not a magic item and has no magic properties aside from what the caster has placed on it, which are negated by the ring. Meanwhile, it's never implied that the gun has some sort of magical ability to suddenly fire at the force of a much larger gun just because there's now a much larger projectile present at the tip.

There's a difference between a trained entity consciously tapping into energy from another plane to do impossible things (creating fire out of nothing) and a mundane object with no connection to said energy creating a dramatic modification of reality.

Do some autistic /k/ fuckery and modify the barrel of a gun to fit a much larger bullet (without touching the rest of the gun) and load it and pull the trigger. Record it and upload it. If that bullet is fired as if from a much more powerful gun and has the same effect, I will record myself eating a bunch of paper towels and upload it for your amusement.

>calls me an idiot
>only justification for doing something completely retarded is "rule of cool"
>>
>>52458827
That's all the justification ever needed.
>>
>>52458841
Even Spiral Energy is internally consistent.
>>
I need to write up an egyptian-themed dungeon for a game in 48 hours. Are there any out there, aside from Mud Sorcerer's tomb?

Should I just reflavor Lost Shrine?
>>
>>52458841
>I should be able to cast every spell at the same time and do whatever I want
>...why?
>becuz its cool!!!
>>
>>52458845
D&D isn't.

Tell me again how a 18th level wizard is a CR 11 encounter when they have 9th level spells?
>>
>>52458862
In Rise of Tiamat, Episode 3. Tomb of Diderius. Very cool and egyptian.
>>
>>52458878
CR is calculated for a party of 3-4 PCs. An 18th level wizard is still a single person.
>>
>>52458878
>>52458893
9th level spells are just fundamentally broken.

Nothing else to say about it.
>>
>>52458841
>the basic parts of the game don't matter as long as I'm an epic super awesome badass
Just go write fanfiction jacking yourself off, it's the same shit.
>>
>>52458811
I'm going to regurgitate shitty memes until I'm laying in my deathbed.
>>
>>52458885
I'll take a look at that now. Thanks, Anon.
>>
How do you feel about hireling? My team of two need them to do role that we can't which is mostly healing and scouting.
>>
>>52458988
they're a bitch to manage
>>
what's this discussion even about, the ring is just dispelling the shrink spell, it isn't making the cannonball nor the rifle magical at all.

the rifle doesn't have enough energy to move the cannonball's full mass at the speed a normal bullet would so momentum would be conserved and the cannonball would just ball pitifully ahead.

how is any other result even possible?
if it was a whole magical gun that fired cannonballs then sure, it's magic and no one has to explain shit, but for this the only magical thing is the ring and that has no way of generating additional energy at all.
>>
>>52459011
but dude it would be SO FREAKIN EPIC XD
>>
File: Z7HeRxU.png (361KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Z7HeRxU.png
361KB, 512x512px
>>52457838
>>52458423
>>52458827
>>52458872
>>52458904
>>52459026
>>
>>52458929
You might want to change some stuff about it, like the "puzzle" that asks for a DC 15 Religion check or you fail and have to fight a tough encounter, but overall it's pretty neat.
>>
>>52459026
Jesus dude, I understand that you'd like some realism in your games as otherwise it'd be a clusterFUCK, but chill. If someone wants to go a bit ham and it doesn't overshadow what the other players do I don't see any reason to get so ravaged by it.
>>
>>52459059
In the original post it's clearly specified as gamebreaking. He might as well have a modern assault rifle in a medieval setting.
>>
>>52459070
THIS is a good point. A counter-point would then be to either say "no", or as otherwise said in the thread, put restrictions on it. You can have fun with crazy shit as long as you don't let it go out of hand.
>>
I think part of the problem here is people are assuming momentum is conserved in a magical process that literally creates mass or destroys mass.
>>
File: 1366155143573.jpg (239KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1366155143573.jpg
239KB, 800x800px
>male playing a female PC
>>
Anyone else think the potential CR23 ally empyrean in Against the Giants is a little much?
>>
>>52458878
Time stop doesn't do damage
>>
>>52459059
the cannonball, RAW deals 8d10 bludgeoning, and a cannon takes 3 actions per shot, one to load, one to aim and one to fire.

>>52459113
but where is the additional energy to move the difference in mass coming from?
>>
Does the process even change the mass of the object?

You can enlarge or reduce something, but that could just be expanding or compacting the original mass into something bigger or smaller, respectively.
>>
I hatelove my DM right now. I love his stories and encounters, but he's putting my character through such emotional trauma that its starting to bounce off of me. Now I'm sitting here 2 hours post-session lamenting over one mistake that ended up killing a vital npc that I swore to protect. I hate fun
>>
I guess this all I will get for my question as they are arguing magical effect on mass.
>>52459005
Not hiring someone to manage all of them.
>>
>>52459204
What the fuck are you trying to say
>>
>>52459175
i hate fun too, i think it's natural to eventually reach this conclusion. i actually hate fun so much, i'd rather sabotage myself at every waking moment rather than make meaningful decisions for the good of mankind, because i guess that could generate fun elsewhere in the world.

just make your very best effort at ensuring no one else can have fun either, much less have fun at your expense. that'd be the worst.
>>
>>52459165
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/spells.html#enlarge%2freduce
>Enlarge. The target's size doubles in all dimensions, and its weight is multiplied by eight.
>Reduce. The target's size is halved in all dimensions, and its weight is reduced to one-eighth of normal.

basically you maintain your density and it properly follows the rule of cube for volumetric density.

momentum should be preserved i guess.
>>
>>52454406
I've stolen a varied amount of lore from the forgotten realms for my world, some of which originated in 4e. Elemental Giant origins (which I *think* are a 4e exclusive?) are a big thing that I expanded on to the Dwarvish racial (based on linguistically) family as a whole.
>>
With Illusory Reality, could I in theory fill someone's lungs with illusory sand and then make it real?
>>
>>52454661
Play in a more racially integrated world, and it's easy.
>>
>>52459434
Unless you want the DM to do it to you, no
>>
>>52459465
Why not?
>>
>>52459431
>>52459460
TUrn three60 degree and fire on walk
>>
File: Capture.png (111KB, 656x74px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
111KB, 656x74px
>>52459434
>>52459470
>>
>>52459470
I just said why not you twit
>>
File: 1466978784478.gif (144KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1466978784478.gif
144KB, 126x126px
I'm looking to learn to play Wizard smarter. Namely, I'm thinking about the possible potential hidden within innocent spells like Minor Illusion and Prestidigitation. Give me some ideas to get the juices flowing, please.
>>
>>52459492
lol! how the FUCK did I post in the wrong fucking thread??
>>
>>52459506
Minor Illusion to create cover for an AC bonus.
>>
File: oneChicken.png (59KB, 332x93px) Image search: [Google]
oneChicken.png
59KB, 332x93px
>>52457149
25k chickens. Nothing else.

Ask about buying magic items and permanent residencies/other proper legal buildings you could own. You'll run out of mundane options pretty quickly.
>>
>>52459506
make the noble's food taste like a well known poison
>>
>>52459506
Use Presti to ignite leaves and dry grass beneath someone.
>>
File: Kazuma.png (95KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
Kazuma.png
95KB, 280x280px
https://github.com/5egmegaanon/5etoolsR20

I just pushed out an update to 5etoolsR20. When you import monsters, it now imports an avatar and default token from the Github's Roll20 token storage. It does not do so if there are no current tokens for the given stat block on the Github.

These tokens do not count toward your Roll20 storage limit.
>>
File: 325235.jpg (167KB, 1024x924px) Image search: [Google]
325235.jpg
167KB, 1024x924px
How do l make this motherfucker? ls it even possible?
>>
>>52459612
Monk/Barbarian gestalt with maxed STR/DEX/CON.
>>
>>52459612
That depends. As a player? Or as a DM?

Because I am sick to death of stupid players asking "HOW CAN I MAKE X?"
>>
File: gay.png (35KB, 528x144px) Image search: [Google]
gay.png
35KB, 528x144px
>>52459589
>>
>>52459506
The real hidden potential is talking with your DM about this ahead of time to avoid disappointment later on
>>
>>52459589
Man, you are awesome. Thank you for all your work.

Speaking of work I want to ask something; could adding the epic boons be done? I've have a bunch of characters that are beyond lv.20 and going back and forth on the DMG is a bit of a pain.
>>
>>52459739
abib, almost every wiz has prestidigitation
>>
File: Capture.png (24KB, 344x142px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
24KB, 344x142px
How broken is this?
>>
>>52459796
Not very good at all.
>>
Help, what's the best class for doing damage without making any attack rolls? Dragon Sorcerer?
My DM thinks critical failures are a good meme, even though inventing that rule completely fucks up the balance between classes that depend on multiple attacks and classes that don't. I can't convince him otherwise, the other players seem to be okay with it, and he's creative and fun to play with otherwise, so I figure I'll just work within the system instead of being a bitch about it.
>>
>>52459796
Mediocre. 30 feet isn't too far, and seeing through objects isn't as useful as Witch Sight or even Devil Sight.
>>
>>52459829
Barbarian does have Advantage on everything if you want to go Martial.

Alchemist and Evoker are most likely the best without attack rolls. Thanks the the Alchemist only using Saves and the Evoker getting much more bang out of damage spells and cantrips with saves. Also level 10+ Evoker and Magic Missile is pretty glorious.
>>
Dear /tg/,

I need help with reeling in one of my players.

I have a guy playing a wizard at my table who uses his familiar judiciously to investigate everything. He doesn't feel any fear of consequence to losing his familiar because when it died investigating a dangerous area, he shrugged and said "oh well, I can just re-summon it". I was shocked that there were no setbacks except expending a spell slot.

My worry is that having this sort of disposable scouting/Trap setting off/etc activity will take away from the mystery and suspense in the Curse of Strahd campaign that I'm running. I kind of want my players to have to cope with the unknown, and have to make some decisions without all the information available to them.

To me, it kind of feels like he is trying to game the system as much as possible. I'm worried that it will trivialize challenges in the game and marginalize the experience.

I'm not a super experienced DM. This is my first official campaign, and I haven't had a min-maxer/munchkin/powergamer at my table yet, so I am hoping you guys can give me some guidance on how to restore some of the mystery to my game.
>>
>>52459802
>>52459847
The DM won't be able to hide anything from you though.

>Have to find keys to a puzzle in a dungeon
>Each key has a riddle associated with their location
>The first is-
>"Hey guys I found all of them, along with every trap, hidden chest, or secret passage."
>>
>>52459877
Wizard can do the same shit and also move through it.
>>
>>52459877
congrats you're a level 5 wiz
>>
>>52459885
At will without using a spell slot?
>>
so my group faces an adult green dragon nut we lv 8 only.

we have a kobold sorc, human ua ranger with dragon as G enemy. human fighter. tiefling druid and H elf bard ( got poly)

how fucked are we
>>
>>52459906
This is an English speaking board.
>>
>>52459829
Evocation Wizard can work entirely off save spells if you ditch Fire Bolt.

Alternatively, Barbarians attacking at advantage and Halflings have only a .25% chance of rolling a 1. Be both for .0125% chance.
>>
>>52459796
>>52459877
We've already discussed this several threads back, when the UA came out. It completely defeats the purpose of traps, secret rooms, etc. It's pretty much a "I win" button for every non-combat dungeon scenario.

As such, I would definitely not allow it. Maybe if it were once per short rest it'd be ok. Maybe.
>>
>>52459885
>>52459893
How? And please tell me which 5th level wizards would be wasting spell slots on shit like Find Traps when there are dangerous monsters lurking about?
>>
>>52459906
Well, that depends, where are you fighting it? Is it alone? Will it be able to fly freely? An adult dragon could be easy or hard depending on the situation and the playing style of the DM and planning of the party.
>>
>>52459873
Things move, they scouted ahead then went to a location in that time things could have shown up. Keep it fair use a percentile dice, 50 or above something has shown up, below that and it's the same as when he scouted.
>>
Want some thoughts about a character making a Wish to gain a form of immortality. The way it's trying to be asked is to gain the Boon of Immortality from the epic boons in the DMG, the problem is the best way to word it.

The person is making this Wish because their one friend has become immortal (Of the unaging sort.) and they want to be around to protect and have fun with their now immortal friend.
>>
File: 1303769950892.png (70KB, 534x443px) Image search: [Google]
1303769950892.png
70KB, 534x443px
Is there any way around the Forbiddance spell? It says it proofs the area against travel by way of the Astral Plane, Ethereal Plane, Feywild, Showdefell, or Plane Shift spell. Is there some obscure way of travel outside of this I could make use of?
>>
>>52460052
I'd just have you petrified
>>
>>52460076
I'm the DM actually.
>>
>>52460103
We need the exact wording he gave you.

Or is the player asking a Genie Lawyer how to do this or something?
>>
>>52460103
Petrify the player
>>
>>52460071
Teleport
>>
>>52460052
"I, (insert character name here), wish for myself to be allowed to continue living in this life as the form I am now, in a state that would allow me to be in full control of my body, mind and soul, while also allowing for the passage of time without my form suffering from it's effects on the body, in such a way that I would not be adversely affected."
>>
Wild Magic! How should I remind my DM that there is a chance wild magic surge could occur after every spell I cast?
>>
>>52460149
Teleport goes through the Astral Plane.
>>
>>52460071
Have whoever's trying to get in invade by force. Jump in outside of the 40k foot barrier with a fucking army, ready to heal up the 5d10 damage.
>>
>>52460156
No it doesn't.
>>
>>52460176
Yes it does.
>>
>>52460180
Prove it
>>
>>52460194
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Astral_Plane
>>
>>52459873
Oh you're running Curse of Strahd? Easy. Each time he re-summons his familiar after it died, roll a d100. On a 25 or below (25% chance), instead of summoning his familiar he summons something else... Maybe a demon or devil, preferably something that is not too tough but can annoy the party a lot. Glass canon monsters that can deal a lot of damage or creatures that impose conditions. Shadows are also a good idea, since their Strength Drain can easily fuck people up.

Give him some hints prior to that, obviously. Next time he summons his familiar tell him how it looks a little off. Black veins or blood-red feathers, some small but creepy stuff. If he asks to figure out what's going on, have him roll an Arcana check (DC 15? 20?) to realize that when his familiar dies, the spirit goes back to their plane of origin, being afterwards called back to Barovia. This back-and-forth through "the mists" / "Barovia's corruption" (I don't know exactly all the lore about how Barovia is separated from all other planes, but it's something like that, right?) takes a toll on his familiar's spirit and may cause mishaps.
>>
>>52460113
It's basically the end of the campaign and I'm fully fine with rewarding him with it, I just want to have him consider the full gravity as well as the standard "Be careful what you wish for." danger.

He's really putting effort into having the wording work. He's not asking me personally but he is asking others, in character, for their opinions. Going to see a high level spellcasting demigod (NPC) and asking what he recommends has been brought up and I want to be prepared.
>>
File: Untitled.png (744KB, 475x737px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
744KB, 475x737px
>>52460228
>>52460194
>>52460180
>>52460176
>>52460156
>>52460149
Teleportation doesn't mention Astral plane at all, but the full description bans it regardless of what method it works though
>>
>>52460170
Doesn't matter assuming everyone invading is a "normal" creature. Only affects celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead.
>>
>>52460228
>dandwiki

try again

>>52460253
OH ok
>>
>>52460277
It's literally copypasted from 3.5.
>>
>>52460071
Teleportation
>>
>>52460277
hownew.ru
>>
>>52460288
Show me where in a 5e book it says teleportation travels through the astral plane
>>
>>52460246
Is it just a Wish spell or a genie?

If it's the Wish spell, I'd make it a no brainier. The spell description says that the wish going wrong only happens if you get too cheesy with it.

I'd have the NPC say something like "You're not wishing to be the God King of Everything, so the Divines and what have you that grant your Wish won't be tempted to rebuke what you ask. Honestly, there are probably much less drastic options available to you than calling upon a spell as mighty as this, so all things considered you'll be fine."
>>
One of my players is extremely low-effort, always making characters with no backstory. I'm having trouble finding a reason for his latest character to adventure with the party. The other characters make it easy.

Context: The party needs to recover The Book of the Dead before tonight's Reading of the Dead festival, or else there will be a bunch of ghosts angry that the living have forgotten about them.

Party members, and their motivations for going after the book:

>The sellsword fighter, who is helping in order to pay off a debt
>The warlock, who came to town to attend the festival and wants to see it go smoothly
>The cleric, who doesn't want undead causing trouble

Finally, the party member with no real motivations:

>The rogue, who is a drifter

I can't think of any reason why he'd want to accompany these folks to rescue some stolen book. Maybe he wants to steal it for himself or something? I'd really prefer not to have that much conflict within the party though.
>>
>>52460304
Show me where it doesn't.
>>
>>52460309
DMG pp. 46 Astral Plane makes no mention of teleportation
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 379x1502px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 379x1502px
>>52460318
>>52460309
>>52460304
Still got the book open for you guys.
>>
>>52459873
Make up traps that the familiar runs into and dies to 70% of the time. 70% allows them to feel like it it almost worth it but still hinders his powergaming. Plus it makes him feel like the familiar still served a purpose even though you invented the purpose
>>
>>52459873
This is just how familiars work, anon. It's not powergaming. And it costs 10 gp and an hour to recast, so realistically if the familiar dies they're out of that option for the rest of the day.
>>
>>52460000
we are in a huge library ( belong to the dragon), the ceiling is more that 200 feat so he has flying space, otherwise there are nothing in the room

and the dragon is alone
>>
>>52460240
I thought things summoned in Barovia couldn't leave unless you were a stronger spellcaster than Straud, so really the Familiar should be swimming around in the maddening Mists for a while, unable to return to the Abyss/Feywildes/whatever the third option for familiars is.
>>
>>52460306
Easy answer is he needs money.

Maybe he just wants the rush of a bif heist

High risk: His name is wrongfully in the book and he needs to get to it before everyone else to erase his name with a specific magic item in his inventory before the reading or his soul is pulled from his body
>>
>>52460318
Alright but that doesn't mean it doesn't. It's irrational to assume the basic fluff of a well known spell has changed when there's nothing to back that assumption up. If a hypothetical 6e were released tomorrow, would you really think it's wise to assume that Magic Missile will now do psychic or acid damage?
>>
>>52460154
Finally, a foolproof immortality wish.
>>
>>52460240

This is retarded.

>>52460334

This is marginally less, but still, retarded, and just punishing a player for using an option they have.

>>52460032

This is moot because familiars aren't intelligent creatures and the telepathy/share senses range is only 100 feet. They aren't good at scouting as you move, they are good for investigating a nearby area before you commit.

>>52459873
>I was shocked that there were no setbacks except expending a spell slot.

It's a ritual; it doesn't cost a spell slot, it costs 1 hour and 10 gp.
>>
so are rituals and cantrips the same thing except rituals have a cast time?
>>
>>52460306
What's the rogue's alignment? If he's any sort of good here's what you do:

Beforehand he spent a few days at the town and met a recently orphaned girl. So he took her under his wing to teach her how to live on the streets. Late at night he witnesses her sneaking off to cry at her parent's grave, she is terribly afraid and upset that her dead parents are going to be mad that the town has lost the book, and so he sets out to recover it and put a smile on her face.

Even if he's chaotic neutral you can rationalize it by saying she reminds him of his daughter/little sister or whatever, so it at least fits within his self-interest.
>>
>>52459873
Bear in mind that the familiar needs to be summoned with 10 GP of ingredients (tough to find in barovia- you'll need to find some in one of the towns or a dungeon)
It also needs to be summoned at a bronze brazier, which would normally be found at a temple. You can get portable ones, but again, you'll need to find one (and they're not insubstantial in weight or size!)
Good news is that when you find one, your party can enjoy BBQ monster ribs every camp.
>>
>>52460353
>so really the Familiar should be swimming around in the maddening Mists for a while
Even better. Then whenever the player re-summons his familiar there is a ??% chance that the familiar is completely irrational and useless for 1d? hours.
>>
>>52460391
>punishing a player
Using a 70% occurance trap to make them feel like either the familiar is scouting well (giving them a bonus) or disarming a trap (giving them a bonus) isn't a punishment. They are getting a 30% bonus on the campaign awareness for thinking constructively and a 70% bonus to their ability to disarm traps for thinking constructively
>>
>>52460398
Certain spells have the ritual tag, meaning that anyone with the Ritual Casting class feature/feat can cast that spell as a ritual.

If a spell is cast as a ritual, add 10 minutes to the casting time and don't expend a spell slot.

For example, the spell Comprehend Languages is a first level ritual spell cast as a single action, but if you're a class with the Ritual Casting class feature, you can spend an additional ten minutes to cast it without burning the spell slot.
>>
>>52460418
>bronze brazier
Not that guy but
My party is currently in a less than friendly area, the outskirts of a city where the populace is likely hostile to us
What would be the best way to go about acquiring a bronze brazier?
>>
>>52456112
I meant there wouldn't be a good reason to be non evil your inbred mongoloid.
>>
>>52460440
>Buy sheet of bronze
>Hammer into rough bowl shape
>Add fire

Boom. Probably costs less than the price of a shield
>>
>>52460440
You can no doubt find a 'trinkets and furniture and stuff' shop in anywhere with a decent population. Bronze is nice and cheap so it's probably easier to find in deprived areas.
A brazier can be anything from a massive impressive bowl to a box grill about a foot cube.
>>
File: 1425104252922.png (67KB, 420x277px) Image search: [Google]
1425104252922.png
67KB, 420x277px
>>52460154
I'm trying to figure out a way to break this, but I can't.
>>
One of my players just finished Mask of the Betrayer and wants to do a character that can eat spirits/souls, anyone know if there's any kind of rules in place for something like that?
>>
>>52460484
The necromancer ability "grim harvest" might be seen that way.
>>
>>52460484
Necromancer, Fiend Warlock and Long Death Monk all come to mind.
>>
>>52459829
Anything halfling, even without the other reroll abilities, a 1/400 is much less likely to cause randumb happenings than 1/20, and if it does, well, whatever at least its rare.
>>
>>52460154
If you want to go cruel genie on this, they have control, but only from a distance. They control their body, mind and soul but they can't experience it, they can't taste, touch, hear, or smell anything. It's like being behind a computer screen.
>>
>>52460475
>>52460390
>>52460154
you could argue that "adversely affected" is subjective and set like, your speed to that of light light in a vacuum, allowing the passage of time, while preserving you in all your entirety, having control of your body, mind and soul, but being unable to ever interact again with anything else ever again.

kind of difficult to explain but this should give some insight on my train of thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACUuFg9Y9dY
>>
MM description of Zombies and Undead.

>Once turned into a Zombie a creature can't be restored to life except by powerful magic, such as a resurrection spell

Resurrection spell/raise dead spell

>You return a dead creature you touch to life
>This spell can't return an undead creature to life
>>
>get new player
>suggest rolling randomly for race and class
>get Yuan-Ti Paladin of Bahamut
Rolling on tables is just plain fun sometimes so long as you're open for something you wouldn't necessarily think of. The only drawbacks are getting something similar to what you've already got before, but that's statistics for you.
>>
>>52460154
Adversely affected is vague enough to work around, things up to interpretation profit the DM in this scenario.

>You are shifted into a parallel plane of existence, to live an eternity in a mildly pleasant, infinite plane. A quaint existence, that lasts forever.
>Your perception of time is increased dramatically, and while you never feel the effects, every moment for the rest of the world, is an eternity for you.
>The world outside the scope of your awareness ceases to be. Things come into being when you approach, and leave being when you are no longer aware of them. It may well be that the entirety of existence as you know it, is all in your head.
>>
>>52460388
What I'd do is head to the 6e spell list and check the damage type of magic missile
>>52460154
You get transported to the Astral Plane where people neither age nor get hungry or sick
>>
File: thonkang.png (8KB, 90x88px) Image search: [Google]
thonkang.png
8KB, 90x88px
>>52460154
>saying all of this in 6 seconds
>>
>>52460583
True Resurrection IS a resurrection spell, it doesn't say "the spell resurrection", and part of the point of the flavor text/fluff in the MM is to share with the players what their characters might know.

99% of the world, even the greatest mages and warriors, have no idea that True Resurrection is any different than Resurrection, unless it comes up.
>>
File: immortal wizards.jpg (781KB, 925x2272px) Image search: [Google]
immortal wizards.jpg
781KB, 925x2272px
>>52460052
It's really easy to gain (and grant) pseudo-immortality with Wish, without crippling yourself for a week.
>>
so for reasons i want to make wizard with no damaging spells at all, and probably as many ritual spells as possible. divinator for meme points, what would be a good list of spells to pick and consider?
>>
>>52460583
KIll the zombie and then cast resurrection on the corpse

It's just to stop " I cast raise dead on the lich/vampire voila 20 thousand xp"
>>
>>52460644
>KIll the zombie and then cast resurrection on the corpse

But it's still undead.

>>52460631
and what's that a lvl 15 cleric spell?

If it was common literally every hero of worth would never have to die.
>>
>>52460644
Not true, a destroyed undead is a "dead" undead, not a humanoid/beast/whatever.

It's why they errata'd True Resurrection.

>>52460653
level 7 and 9 spells for Resurrection and True Resurrection, so 13/17. It's something that would almost never be cast either, as it's EXTREMELY rare to need True Resurrection over Resurrection, and it costs 25x more gold value too.
>>
>>52460632
Let's make a list of every wizard spell that was definitively a mistake:
wish (at least the ignoring components part)
clone
simulacrum
animate objects (for the level it's at anyway)

Any others?
>>
So I'm making a character for a level 11 one shot and decided to make a Hexblade to see if I like them for when I join a campain next.

RAW can I use a Lance with charisma with it's feature and use it without Disadvantage as long as they're not within 5 feet of me?

Also secondly can I make an attack while Jumping? I was planning to take the cast Jump at-will invocation and use it to leap over the combat and lance people.
>>
>>52460685
dragoon subclass fucking when
>>
>>52460674
You know, whenever this comes up I'm just reminded of stuff like
>bag of holding into portable hole nuke-arrow
>3.5 two-spell combo to kill a dragon at level 5 or so
Like, just because you CAN do it, it doesn't become a problem unless you DO do it. I don't want to say that means it's not a problem, I remember some of my fallacies, but why don't you get around to actually doing that in a game and say what happens when you pull it all off, and to what means?
>>
>>52460674
Anime Objects wouldn't be so bad if not for the ability to do so many objects based on size.

Clone also isn't that bad, at the level you get it you should be able to return people from the dead anyway. It only gets wonky with specific spell interactions.
>>
>>52460692
Pretty much what I was going for. Want to have my pact sworn to a legendary Lance and try to be as knightly as possible.
>>
>>52460685
Lance without a mount is a two handed weapon so no

Otherwise thats pretty dope and i'd be down for it if I was your gm. I'm sure by raw you can do that no reason not, but don't really expect any extra damage or anything from it

Id def let you use charisms for two handeds though, really fucking stupid how they excluded two handers for no reason especially how the weapon invocation for hexblades is a fucking greatsword
>>
Astral projection mentions that only effects that specifically state that they can cut your cord have the ability to do so.

Are there any such abilities? I don't recall seeing any.
>>
>>52460674
None of those are mistakes.

People should be allowed to be crazy strong when they're at these levels. Levels 17-20 are basically mythical levels that no one ever gets to outside of artificially inflated games, so if anyone ever manages to get to that level. let them.
>>
>>52460685
Jump eats an action, but if any of my players wanted to use the spell for that purpose, they are already giving up a turn so go for it.

I'd hesitate on giving bonus damage or anything though, since it isn't concentration, and i wouldn't want it to be "better" than Magic Weapon/Elemental Weapon.
>>
>>52460674
>Clone
>Players think they have finally wiped out a powerful NPC
>A week later they see him strolling through town
>Gives them a cheeky wink
>He had clones prepared the entire time

Its a great spell for DMs, and players rarely get that high level.
>>
>>52460709
I was looking at that but the UA says "Lacks the two-handed property" and lances says "Requires two hands to wield while unmounted.I mean it doesn't have the Two-handed property and I know versatile weapons can be used with it.

Worst case senario I'll just take a Spear and try to take either Spear Mastery or Shield Master.

>>52460724
>Not casting jump every minute out of combat.

But yeah I don't want any damage bonus or anything and if I didn't mind using my Concentration I'd just take Levitate.
>>
>>52460722
>simulacrum
>not a mistake
Nah.
>>
>>52460700
start as fighter or paladin or get heavily armored, you need that plate going. and yeah, technically a lance is neither a two handed weapon nor a heavy one, hence the meme dual-wielding pterodactyl-riding lance halfling beastmaster build.
but that is both stupid and not RAI, if technically RAW.

>>52460709
you can check it out on the book, a lance is not a two handed weapon, even if requires two hands to use without a mount, regardless of what common sense dictates.
>>
>>52460715
Psychic Wind and githyanki silver swords
>>
>>52460750
Actually good plan about the Fighter level. Since no other fighting styles work with it I guess I'd go Defence so I can have the 19 AC.

I plan to be a human anyway for Athlete but if the DM doesn't want me to multiclass it, I'll make my level 1 feat Heavily Armoured.
>>
Does anyone have any good advice for Roleplaying an Aasimar? Seems like it'll be tricky not to be the biggest obnoxious twat when talking about my race or reasons for adventuring.
>>
>>52460924
Do the opposite - turn that shit up to 11 until you become a caricature of yourself.
>>
>>52460948
I was thinking that. Go full "I'm the one who has to help" super Lawful Good, get incredibly upset whenever I fail a task and constantly try to make personal sacrifices for help even when it's really not needed.

I obviously wouldn't go to charge a lich or try to kill the party level of stupid.
>>
>>52460924
Choose a celestial, play up its individual themes.

Personally, i'd go with a Couatl. You are the grandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandson of a priest of an ancient religion, your bloodline destined for greatness... eventually. It's probably not you, but he's gonna give you advice every night in your dreams anyway, just in case. Plus, you gotta have kids, so get to fucking. The winged serpent demands fornicatioN!
>>
File: DEUSVULT.png (539KB, 600x677px) Image search: [Google]
DEUSVULT.png
539KB, 600x677px
I'll be running a crusades themed one shot for a group of friends who haven't played DnD before, currently I'm thinking of sending them after a pagan cult that has stolen some sort of religious artefact. What would be some fun encounters to throw at them?
>>
>>52460977
Well that is defiantly going to be my Guide. The idea of a being that wants to see a member of my bloodline be a great warrior of legend but doubts my capabilities of it sounds fun to RP.
>>
>>52461054
infidels, obviously, tons and tons of infidels. preferably better equipped 'savages' or just other not-christian cities to fight against for eh, reasons.

holy quests, yeah.
>>
>>52461054
Ahm... Literal devils? Infernal cult summoning shit from the hells.
>>
Your party is given the opportunity of destroying the BBEG and his invading army of imminent doom, at the cost of erasing magic from their world.

Do they take it?
>>
>>52461295
FUCK YES. Especially if it's arcane magic, and that even fits the theme/tone of our campaign
>2 druids, a fighter with the anti-mage feat, and a war cleric
>bbeg is a wizard attempting to become a god
>>
How do I make a pyromancer?
I was thinking dragonborn wizard or draconic sorcerer with elemental affinity feat, picking only fire spells and refluffing utility. Anything I missed?
>>
>>52461331
I'd honestly go Light Cleric with an Protection Aasimar. It's pure fiery destruction all over the place while flying.
>>
>>52461295
Uhh erasing magic from the world would end it so unless the BBEG was going to destroy the universe 100% it seems like a dumb trade
>>
>>52461331
Why not just use the Pyromancer from the Planeshift Kaladesh UA?
>>
Is there an offical reading on what happens if you either Twincast or Split Enchantment the spell Crown of Madness? Can I command both creatures with the same action or is it fucking pointless?
>>
>>52461340

>>52461353
DM doesn't use ua or non core content. Honestly I dragonborns are edgy and I*d rather be human.
>>
How does the bestial claw attack from the bestial form discipline work?

Do I just make an attack with the claws or is the damage added on to say an attack with a shortsword

Kinda confused because if its just 1d10 damage per psi point and takes an action it's fucking garbage, mastery of wood and earth lets me throw my sword for 1d10 whilst using my int modifier
>>
>>52461433
Human Light Cleric with any feat is good. Warcaster's an obvious choice but as long as you have 16 Wisdom and 14 Dexterity it's good.
>>
>>52461377
You don't command with an action you maintain the spell with an action. You mentally command a target for their attack on THEIR turn (no action required)
>>
>>52461470
Oh cool. This seems like a pretty good deal for a 3rd level sorcerer.
>>
>>52461487
Remember that the charmed creature can still move themselves, so if they are smart they will move away from their friends.
>>
>>52461613
True. Though their allies might not be quick to forget being stabbed, I know I did try to fight back.
>>
Anyone have experience with PHB p.176 variant encoumbrance rules? Or just thoughts about it.
>>
OotA, the Maze Engine is really cool.

However, I feel like a single demon and a group of magma mephits is just pathetic and the players will just be waiting for the engine to work

How about, we have the nalfeshnee and a bunch of other demons and minotaurs assaulting the maze engine and attempting to disable it, this forces the players to actually fight on top of the engine

Half way through BAPHOMET arrives and the players have to try and slow him down (Maybe a brave players will 1v1 him to buy time)
>>
>>52461665
I honestly wouldn't bother
>>
>>52461658
I doubt it, they are visibly charmed and have a magical crown of thorns
>>
>>52461455
I'll look into that, thanks!
>>
New Thread
>>52461854
>>
>>52456753
Bag of holding
Thread posts: 454
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.