[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 458
Thread images: 41

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Trio of subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf

>Don't forget to take the official survery on Theurgy and War Magic
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52440339

How have you incorporated Strange settings like Planescape into your games?
>>
Barring lair actions and his bland legendary actions, how would you beef Strahd up?
>>
Rolling for stats is shit. SHIT!!!
>>
>>52445657
He just seems like a generic vampire, albeit more powerful.
>>
>>52445657
Dirty tactic. The guy mean business... your party won't get any long rest. Squishy will be kidnapped and dominate.
>>
Posting this again for the anon that asked about floating islands/fortresses for his players:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlSDcxaG4tZHNMZWM/view
>>
>>52445657
Make him a minotaur vampire.
>>
>>52445657
Or just give Strahd better/more unique legendary actions.
>>
Rolled 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 5, 4, 1, 1, 5 = 30 (12d6)

STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA
>>
>>52445635
>How have you incorporated Strange settings like Planescape into your games?

I haven't but I have always wanted to run a game with the One World cosmology. Basically, there are locations in the world that are like the other planes, it still takes some means to get there, but not necessarily magical means. Travelling to another plane is more mythological, with following an underground river all the way to the Land of the Dead, or travelling in a twisting Lost Forest that's the Feywild, or the Nine Hells literally being deep deep underground and entered only through a hellmouth. This doesn't mean that there aren't other planes or dimensions, but they aren't like the ones of the Great Wheel. Things like the Realm of Dreams, or Mirror Paths could still be a thing.
>>
Are physical classes supposed to be super human nor not? Whenever I see the caster vs martial meme brought up, people always say that the "martials" are supposed to be mythological figures like hercules and stuff.

But the rules don't really support this. So what are they supposed to be?

A fighter who uses his action surge to sprint as fast as he can can only get to about half the speed of the current record holder. And then he has to catch his breath for an hour to do it again.

The long jump rules are also pretty bad. If you aren't a barbarian or monk, it's impossible to jump farther than the current record because you need a 10 foot running start, and the current record is something like 29 feet. Combined, they would take you past your ability to move in the round, which is a hard limit, even if the DM would let you roll to ignore the strength requirements.

Even the number of attacks martials gets seems low. Look at fencing matches. These guys feint, attack, bluff, block, and move, and get it all done in a second. And then they do it again, and again and again, and again. In an extended fight against multiple opponents, they could do it several times in a 6 second round, not just 4 (at 20th, I'm-a-demigod levels)

Look at the latest UA. It has a monk feature where you can redirect attacks, but after you do it, you need to catch your breath for an hour to do it again. Then look up aikido master fights. Hell, look up a steven segall movie. the latest monk UA isn't even at the power level of a steven segall character, let alone supernatural beyond the peak of human development.

So those who think that martials are supposed to be supernatural warriors out of myth, how do you reconcile the complete failure of the rules to implement this in any way? I'm really curious, because I'm struggling to run the game in a fair but fun way for the one guy playing a martial in my group.
>>
Rolled 3, 3, 5, 2, 1, 4, 2, 6, 6, 3, 6, 5 = 46 (12d6)

>>52445733
>12 / 10 / 9 / 12 / 11 / 12
So what kind of build is this going to work for desu
Also again for comparison.

>>52445743
Because if they aren't supposed to be superhuman in some form then there is utterly no excuse for being able to survive a fireball. The idea is that casters are completely superhuman in their feats, so martials, who are similar in stature or supposed to be, should be similarly superhuman.
>>
>>52445743
All mythological figures are refluff caster or mystic.
>>
>>52445743
>Even the number of attacks martials gets seems low.

I'm with you for the rest, but "number of attacks" is more like "number of chances you have to decrease HP". An attack roll is an entire exchange of blows, not a single swing with a sword.

>Look at the latest UA. It has a monk feature where you can redirect attacks, but after you do it, you need to catch your breath for an hour to do it again.

The monk can redirect the club of a fuckhuge giant into another fuckhuge giant. It has no upper limit, as per the rules.
>>
>>52445762
>12 / 10 / 9 / 12 / 11 / 12
>12 / 13 / 11 / 14 / 15 / 17
ayy
>>
>>52445743
>run the game in a fair but fun way for the one guy playing a martial in my group.
Run 6-8 encounters per day, with 2 short rests in between.
5e, played fair, is attacks and cantrips, with concentration spells acting as 'passive' effects.
>>
>>52445774
Deflect missile also doesn't has an upper limit. You can deflect giant boulder thrower at you.
>>
>>52445774
>I'm with you for the rest, but "number of attacks" is more like "number of chances you have to decrease HP". An attack roll is an entire exchange of blows, not a single swing with a sword.
This is why I mentioned fencing matches. A fencing round is an entire exchange of blows, ending in a touch. It features everything you would think happens in an attack action, and it takes place in a second or less.

There is a mild problem with the book referring to "opportunity to decrease HP actions" as "attack actions" though. It sends the wrong message to players and DMs.
>>
>>52445806
Think about everything that happen during 6 second period dude.

Exchanging blow is just part of that 6 seconds. They spend the rest of time moving, dodging dragon's breath, turn around 360'' to parry another attack in the back and stuff.
>>
>>52445733
>>52445762
I'm confused. Even if you're rolling 3d6 per stat instead of 4d6 drop lowest, that'd be 18 not 12. How are you getting these 'totals'?
>>
>>52445879
2d6+6
>3d6 per stat
>wanting 3 STR players who can barely breathe without overexerting themselves
>>
>>52445879
6+2d6 would be my guess. You can't get lower than 8 this way.
>>
>>52445891
>>52445893
Ah, I see. I wonder how much this throws off the distribution compared to 4d6 drop lowest.
>>
>>52445916
To be honest when I make players roll for stats I let them roll twice and choose one (entire) distribution
Way less chance of a 3 / 6 / 10 / 14 / 7 / 7 and a 16 / 17 / 15 / 18 / 14 / 16 in the same party.
>>
How the hell do I roll like the above?
>>
Rolled 95 (1d100)

>>52445950
Read the sticky newfag
>>
>>52445657
he keeps his furries around
>>
>>52445825
Watch a fencing match in slow motion dude. They do a lot in those 1 second intervals.

I guess at this point I feel like 5e was designed by someone who had no idea what the peak of human fitness looked like, and had no desire to learn. The consequence is that parties only really work out if the players are all supernatural magic guys throwing fireballs around, or all slightly above average teenagers practicing for high school track and field.

Credit where credit is due though: The carrying and encumbrance rules do result in superhuman feats of strength overtime. which has so far been exploited in my party by treating the fighter as a highly efficient packmule.
>>
>>52445743
>A fighter who uses his action surge to sprint as fast as he can can only get to about half the speed of the current record holder.
Yeah, but he can do it in fucking full plate. I guess it depends on your definition of "superhuman", but I'd count things like being able to take a fireball to the face and shrug it off as beyond normal human capability. (Casters can do that too of course, but usually not as well.) If you don't want casters to outshine martials, don't give them 1-hour adventuring days. Or have everyone play mystics.
>>
>>52445965
It's just shit in general though
Do what I do - change all units to metric and watch the feats soar.
>>
>>52445950
weight your dice
>>
>>52445657
Have him use the polymorph spell to turn himself into a bronze shadow dragon. This also functions as a buffer of extra health.
>>
File: dice.jpg (41KB, 288x404px) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
41KB, 288x404px
>>52445916
>>52445925
Interdasting.
>>
Rolled 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2 = 9 (6d2)

>>52445960
Ah, thanks.
>>
>>52445966
That ties into another meme war: plot armor points vs meat points.

What is happening in your games when a fighter fails his save against a fireball vs what happens when he succeeds?

>>52445972
Heh. That's a nice fix: all martial classes now use the metric system.
>>
>>52446001
>flipping coins

>>52445998
Try 4d8 drop 1.
>>
>>52445998
I wonder what the distribution would be if you used 3d6 Drop Lowest + 6? Probably more suited for a high fantasy game, but if I'm gming and I've seen a player roll godlike stats, i usually get them to take some lower stats, because I personally find having negatives in some stats interesting to play with.
>>
>>52446027
Flipping coins can be a nice way of adding some randomness to the standard array in a way that can't totally screw someone over.

Take the standard array. You can choose up to 3 stats to gamble for an increase. For each stat you choose to gamble, you have to choose another stat to gamble for a decrease.

You can't gamble the same stat more than once.

To gamble for an increase: flip a coin. On a tails, nothing happens. On a heads, the stat increases by 1.

To gamble for a decrease: flip a coin. On a heads, nothing happens. On a tails, that stat decreases by 1.
>>
File: dice2.jpg (68KB, 368x476px) Image search: [Google]
dice2.jpg
68KB, 368x476px
>>52446027
>>52446040
http://anydice.com/
>output [highest 3 of 4d6]
>>
>>52445743
>It has a monk feature where you can redirect attacks, but after you do it, you need to catch your breath for an hour to do it again
Thought this, too. Sounded like a fun feature when I was reading it, then came to the limitation.

Why doesn't it just eat Ki points or something? A single use means it's either going to barely ever be used, "Just in case," or, if used as often as allowed, will have little meaningful impact. It's basically a free attack if an enemy misses you. A single melee attack is nothing in the vast majority of combats.
>>
>>52445965
Fencing matches are nothing like real fights. For starters, you don't have to be as cautious because you don't die.

Neither are D&D fights. D&D fights are more like action movies, with lots of theatrical sword swinging about.
>>
>>52446168
That's what I'm saying. DnD fights aren't like real fights. They're fights with nerf swords.
>>
>>52446185
They are fights with real swords vs things that are made of iron.

Or like shooting a gun at Bruce Willis in Die Hard.
>>
File: magic show volunteer.gif (1MB, 423x207px) Image search: [Google]
magic show volunteer.gif
1MB, 423x207px
Can wizards be doctors?
>>
>tfw players recruit the giant guests in the Storm giant hold
>tfw I don't have to use generic storm giants in final battle and can now use characters the players know
One of the players also mentioned how upset they were that Harshnag was dead, so they should be pretty happy when he shows up too
>>
Whats a good name for a set of seven stones/artifacts imbued with the spirit of a practically dead illithid god?
>>
>>52446474
Seven heads of (What's his name). Or Seven Eyes.
>>
>>52446474
Psi-stones?

That's the obvious enough one anyway.
>>
>>52445657
Have him use polymorph spells to deal with unruly party members.
Someone got the sun blade? Polymorph them into a duck and all their gear morphs into their new form.
If you want to be a real dick he could then grab them and fly off, to deal with them alone. If you want to be a REAL real dick, a strict interpretation of RAW means that if he used his bite to reduce the max health of a polymorphed character to zero, they'd die outright before reverting back to their true form, the same as with disintegrate and power word: kill.
>>
>>52446474
The Chaos Emeralds
>>
File: 1490321772026.jpg (38KB, 611x857px) Image search: [Google]
1490321772026.jpg
38KB, 611x857px
>>52446474
The seven tendrils of [name]

Or this >>52446497
>>
>>52446474
The Eptascatotauria Stones.
>>
Forever DM gets to play; what do I make? I usually hate furfag shit, but Tabaxi seem neat? What's a concept for not!Khajiit that's fun?

I was also thinking half-elf stone sorcerer from that UA. I usually play Wizards or Bards on the rare times I do get to play stuff, and wanna branch out.
>>
>>52446535
Seconded
>>
>>52446548
>usually plays wizards and bards
>wants to branch out
>chooses the wizard-lite CHA caster
why
>>
>>52446548
You're a forever DM, you get to play whatever the fuck you want. You could play an atheist Halfling fighter that uses a samurai sword and has a neckbeard/trenchcoat/fedora combo and not a single one of those fuckers would be allowed to complain.
>>
File: 20161120145443_1.jpg (11KB, 190x273px) Image search: [Google]
20161120145443_1.jpg
11KB, 190x273px
>>52446548
>Tabaxi seems neat?
>>
>>52446474
Cardinal Sins? Each stone is imbued with the part of the god's spirit attributed to either lust, pride, greed, etc.
>>
>>52446554
Shit. You may have a point.
>>
>>52446548
Go full dungeon rogue.
>>
>>52446569

Should have mentioned in my post that I've already planned the theme - I decided to go with some of the classic faculties of mind (imagination, language, memory, reasoning, etc).
>>
>>52446554
I was going to go smite town with their weird spell list, and play him like an earth bending swordsman a la Metalcrafters from Codex Alera.
>>
File: 1410041504605.jpg (97KB, 540x808px) Image search: [Google]
1410041504605.jpg
97KB, 540x808px
>>52446548
Tabaxi are for furfags. Do it if you want, but do not delude yourself.

What do you want, guishing? Pal 2 / Sorc X (smite erry day), or Hexblade. Or Paladin + Tomelock.
>>
>>52446586
Well there you go then. Seven Facets of (God's name) Facets are both aspects of something (in your case, the mind) and also a word for a flat shape on a gem.
>>
>>52446586
Just call them mind stones or something
Brain tumours
>>
>>52445657
Give him a sword that ups his damage instead of a claw attack.

Roll a d6 and in that many turns (not rounds), summon 1d4 Death Dogs to aid him.

Repeat this process henceforth on Strahd's turn
>>
>>52446586
>>52446474
Memoro de la Åœtono
>>
>>52446586
The Eptascatotauric Lithonoumens of (Insert god name)
>>
I am playing a Fighter but I want a free hand to grapple, throw javelins and nets, etc.

If I forgo my shield for this, and take Tavern Brawler as my human feat, am I entering dangerously unoptimized territory or will I be fine?

The campaign will most likely be Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>52446634
>Angels chained by a beast locked in slumber
>Sin washed away by the swift flow of time

>I may know the answers
>Journeys over snow and sand
>What twist of fate has brought us
>To tread upon this land?

I should really plan out a campaign based on ffxi. I was already planning on designing dungeons/lairs after Crawler's Nest/Castle Oztroja/Castle Zvahl/Garlaige Citadel/etc after all.
>>
>>52446747
No need for a free hand: you can sheathe and unsheathe weapon as part of your attack, so if you want to throw javelins you can put away your sword and throw as many as you have available, and if you want to grapple you can use one of your attacks for the Athletics check to shove prone, if successful then put away your sword and attack at advantage with your whatever before using the bonus action for the check to grapple so they stay down.

Foregoing a shield is so that you can grapple *and* keep hitting them with your sword while they're down. If that's not your goal and you just want the disable option, then Shield Master works as an alternative to Tavern Brawler; 1d4 less damage on subsequent rounds, but doesn't force you to make an unarmed attack in order to apply a part of the shove+grapple combo with a bonus action, plus defensive abilities.
>>
>>52446747

Dueling fighting style is fairly solid with or without a shield.

Unarmed strikes don't count as weapons.

Yes your AC will be slightly lower than a true sword and board type but if you take something like heavy armor mastery the damage reduction is very nice at low levels.

However keep in mind that heavy armor mastery would preempt tavern brawler and it has a somewhat limited shelf life. It's awesome at low levels but loses out as damage dealing capacity increases.
>>
>>52446154
I really don't know why it didn't use ki points.

Speaking of:

>Monks can restore all ki points by concentrating on peaceful meditation for ten minutes.

Thoughts?
>>
>>52446950
For what purpose? Monks are already insanely good if your GM forces a lot of short rests (aka 2-3, as per the DMG) instead of allowing wizards to sleep for 8 hours, fight for 1 hour, and then sleep another 8 fucking hours.

Any GM worth his salt will drain any wizard of spell slots long before he can take a long rest.
>Rope trick
Shit GM not forcing a time limit.
>>
>>52446883
>so if you want to throw javelins you can put away your sword and throw as many as you have available
Doesn't it cost you your bonus action to sheathe a weapon, and then it would cost another bonus action to draw another one?
>Foregoing a shield is so that you can grapple *and* keep hitting them with your sword while they're down.
Plus I do kind of want to do that.
>>52446894
Thanks, this is some helpful advice.
I think you are right about Heavy Armor Master, should I get Tavern Brawler at all do you think?
If so, then what Ability Score Improvement should I replace. I would want to get Tavern Brawler ASAP but I feel like I would need the Ability Score Improvement the most at 4th level, wait till 6th?
Also have to consider the flavor aspect, Tavern Brawler was more a choice to reflect my character's Bounty Hunter background, so it would be a bit weird to not start with it.
>>
File: pearlsofwisdom.jpg (636KB, 2013x1545px) Image search: [Google]
pearlsofwisdom.jpg
636KB, 2013x1545px
>>52446474
The Pearls of Wisdom.
>>
>>52446990
>>52446990
Literally nobody plays that way. It's not even a good or bad dming type of thing. People just don't want to, and 99.99% of narratives won't support it.
>>
I allowed one of my players to pick up a remorhaz egg. They've rolled well on their nature checks and as such have taken good care of the egg.

I'd like for the egg to hatch however I'm not sure if I should just have the remorhaz just attack the party or if they should be given an opportunity to be tamed.
>>
I have a dwarf ranger who will duel wield warpicks when he reaches 4th level

Will he be any good in combat or will he be just another useless ranger
>>
>>52446474
Dem nutz
>>
>>52447111
If frost giants can do it than PCs can do

But I'm pretty sure the frost giant method involves lots of violence are wrestling
>>
>>52446474
There's always exactly seven parts to the Macguffin, isn't there?
>>
>>52447109
>99.99% of narratives won't support it.
The narrative will do whatever the DM wants it to do.
5e is supposed to play like the Shadows of Mystara vidja, not like NWN.
Horde your spells for the boss, do fancy but 'normal' things with the mooks, interact with the environment and use items in the meanwhile.
>>
>>52447131
Frost Giants control them through fear, yeah.
I'd say make them fight it and knock it out, maybe a few times, before they can have it tamed.
>>
>>52447270
Than after it wakes up have them roll an intimidation check with advantage or something
>>
>>52447061
>Doesn't it cost you your bonus action to sheathe a weapon, and then it would cost another bonus action to draw another one?

You can sheathe as part of your move and you draw as part of your attack. It's not like 3.PF where you use your swift action to fiddle with your equipment.

That said:

>Plus I do kind of want to do that.

Then definitely don't take Tavern Brawler. You're essentially spending a feat for an unarmed attack when you grapple - and if it misses you don't get to attempt the Athletics check at all. Just take your attack action and replace your attacks with the checks to grapple and shove prone respectively, then apply any other attacks you have.

I suggest you take a quarterstaff so you can use your bonus action to bash them on the head for resisting.
>>
>>52445965
>I guess at this point I feel like 5e was designed by someone who had no idea what the peak of human fitness looked like, and had no desire to learn.

Try "D&D" was designed that way.
There are some systems out there that try to emulate realistic combat, but D&D was never one of them at any point and never tried to be.
>>
>>52447292
That's not how object interactions work at all
That said as a DM I ignore anything that isn't ridiculous
>>
>>52447326
The fantasy imagination game isn't trying to imitate real life
>>
>>52447285
>>52447131
Would that be too broken to give the party a remorhaz as a pet? They're 7th level.
>>
>>52447292
>You can sheathe as part of your move and you draw as part of your attack
Right, got it.

Very helpful, I didn't consider that I am risking not even getting to attempt a grapple when following up an unarmed strike.

>I suggest you take a quarterstaff so you can use your bonus action to bash them on the head for resisting.
What? Does the quarterstaff have some special quality I am missing?
>>
>>52447364
Maybe have them learn from the frost giants first. Have them face off in a frost giant fighting tournament of some sort in order to win the frost giants favor and learn their ways
>>
>>52447380
>What? Does the quarterstaff have some special quality I am missing?
He's referring to Polearm Master, the extra attack works with glaives, halberds and quarterstaves, even when held one handed.
>>
>>52447340
Top of page 190 anon. Drawing weapons is *free*.

You can go hunt the sage advice if you want, as well.
>>
File: Set.png (69KB, 330x684px) Image search: [Google]
Set.png
69KB, 330x684px
>>52445635
>How have you incorporated Strange settings like Planescape into your games?

The "core" planar mythos is a garbage grab-bag trying to incorporate Christian and Pagan mythology with pure fantasy, the enough Hells and Heavens to be ridiculously redundant.

This is what comes of taking the already simplistically stupid "Alignment Wheel" and trying to make it function on the Macro scale interdimensionally.

No compelling mythological or fantasy setting has a system of Gods as artificial and contrived as Dungeons and Dragons.

Pick some Gods. Have some "Evil" Gods if you must (most real-world polytheistic religions didn't have them, at most they had apocalyptic monsters that opposed the Gods).

Under no circumstances have Set, Odin and a passle of OC Faerunian shit running around together, with several different hostile underworlds filled with redundant fiends.
>>
>>52447398
Ah okay.
I don't like feats that specialize on a particular weapon too much though.

Do you think Alert would be a solid choice? Moving before the enemy could be really useful in the context of grabbing somebody and throwing them off a cliff before they have a chance to cause a problem.
>>
>>52447404
>>52447340
>>52447292
Interaction with one object is free, so yes you can draw as part of your attack as long as it's only one weapon. You only get one of these per turn. You can't sheath as you move and draw as you attack. You have to be a rogue of the thief archtype and use your bonus action as an item interaction to do that.
>>
>>52447404
Yes, you can interact with one object for free during movement or your action. So you can draw and attack, or attack and sheathe. You can't sheathe one weapon, draw another, then attack.
>>
>>52447429
Though you can drop, unsheathe and attack, it should be added.
>>
>>52447442
You can then pick up with your move.
>>
>>52447382
I'm running SKT, so they aren't really parleying with frost giants yet. They aren't going to meet Harshnag for a while.

I think we'll have the remorhaz burst out of it's egg fighting and see how they react. Plus I think it might be a 1-on-1 fight, since the warlock who cares about the egg is doing this during downtime while the rest of the party is settling business elsewhere.
>>
>>52447426
>>52447429
I get it, do you think you could sheathe as a free action and draw as a bonus action?

Personally I think it might be good to house rule that sheathing costs 1 bonus action, drawing is always free. Stops people from having their weapons drawn all the time, instead making their selection after combat starts.
>>
>>52447442
Sure, but then you can't switch to javelins or some other ranged weapon while also closing the distance unless you're alright with leaving your primary weapon behind. I suppose you could stock up on several melee weapons and just keep dropping things as you go.

>>52447455
On your next turn, yes. Not on the same turn. You've already used your free interaction to draw the second weapon.
>>
>>52447461
In that case if they react "right" it still won't listen to them until they train it "properly" with frost giant help
>>
>>52447462
>do you think you could sheathe as a free action and draw as a bonus action?
As per the book, no. Unless you go thief rogue. But if I were DMing, I wouldn't really care.
>>
>>52447109
Yes they do. You just have shit GMs.

Whenever I GM, I have at least 2 encounters - short rest - 2 encounters - short rest - 2 encounters. I have a lot of caster birch about it, because they have no idea how balance works, and thinks they can blow all their shit on the first 2 encounters, and then get surprised when there are still 10 hours left of the day.
>>
>>52447462
>I get it, do you think you could sheathe as a free action and draw as a bonus action?
This is what Rogue's Thief archtype skill "Fast Hands" let's them do. For their bonus action they can interact with an object.

You can house rule things to make combat easier, but know that you're effectively gimping rogue by doing so. I'd recommend you just let players know they can drop their weapon on the floor for free and then use their free interaction to draw. This way they got their quick swap, but they can't quick swap back again.
>>
>>52447418
Alert is good, even better if you're stealthy and can surprise. Surprise is almost an action point from 4e.
In general tho, 5e makes you specialize in one weapon, or at least a weapon class.
You'll see people going with either
>glaive or halberd
>quarterstaff (usually with shield)
>rapier (commonly with shield)
>odd weapons gained from warlock invocations (mace, flail, greatsword, longbow)
>longbow or hand xbow for ranged fighters
>corner cases with greatsword or greataxe, but will probably eventually switch to a polearm

The rest of the weapon table just doesn't see as much playtime.
>>
>>52445743
I'm dealing with a martial as well, the whole redirect attack like the previous anon said has no upper limit which provides a huge superhuman advantage. I recently had my monk blasted by poison for literally all of his health. Just deal with them as you would a superhuman monkey if you will, it worked for me.
>>
>>52447264
You have to really fucking contort any story to justify 6 to 8 encounters.

Here's a challenge. Point out one successful novel where a party of 4 to 5 people fights six to eight different groups of 4 to 5 other people before resting, and then repeats it the next day.
>>
>>52447418
Alert is always nice.

The ways I'd do a grappler are:

Valor Bard 6
Fighter 5 (Battle Master) / Lore Bard 3 / Fighter 6-11
Rogue 1-2 / Fighter or Barbarian for the rest

Why Bard? Nets you more skills and Jack of all Trades (which also boosts your Initiative), but more importantly, Expertise at 3 and access to Enhance Ability so you get advantage on your Strength Checks.

Rogue 1 also gives you Expertise, and 2 gives you Cunning Action if you have nothing better to do with your bonus action so you get extra mobility, then the rest Fighter or Barbarian. You'd need a Rapier to take advantage of the 1d6 sneak attack, but there's no downsides to that since 1d8 weapons are the best you can do while grappling someone anyway.
>>
File: Wrong.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
Wrong.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>52447109
The only DM I know who didn't is my first one - and only because he only just learned the system, and didn't quite understand how to run games.
>>
>>52445635
Hey guys question: Next game the players will unleash a god from captivity, they will be rewarded handsomely, or so the god will say. Can I just have the god take over the souls of the PC's and have him do his bidding, taking over the world in fire and bloodshed?
>>
>>52447326
The problem is that dnd errs on the subhuman rather than the superhuman in it's fighter balance.
>>
>>52447526
It'd be cheating to bring up the last book of wheel of time, right?
>>
>>52447349
Exactly my point.
That anon shouldn't expect D&D to realistically emulate combat because it wasn't even bothering to try and do so likely before he was even born.
>>
>>52447542
That sounds fucking awful why could you ever do that
>>
>>52447553
Which plotline? I've read it, but a long time ago.
>>
>>52447560
See
>>52447548

Superhuman casters, high school track and field martials.
>>
>>52445666
It's fun if everyone rolls well it's not fun when someone gets the 14 highest. Casual games I call for rolls, more serious games is pointbuy or standard.
>>
>>52447534
That is too much multiclassing for me. I don't like the idea of having to wait to level 8 or something to achieve a specific combo and then being handicapped for the entire journey there.

More importantly, I would find it difficult to justify why my freelance mercenary/bounty hunter suddenly has levels in Bard, from a fluff perspective.
>>
>>52447570
The entire huge war that happened near/at the end, with many character deaths because they fought too long or died for a cause.
>>
>>52447542
Dude, the players can be deceived into that if you want but you must make them feel in control. I would highly advise against it though.
>>
>>52447590
Also if D&D is set in the time period it seems to portray, fighting and athlete is would have come a very long way in the many years in between then and modern times
>>
>>52447522
I'm not sure if this is a joke or not.
>>
>>52447590
Casters and martials aren't that poorly balanced anymore.
Maybe the casters are just chumps now too.
>>
>>52447622
Take it either way.
>>
>>52447601
Iirc, that's dozens of characters, though if you pick any given one, they had 1 to 4 narrative worthy encounters.
>>
>>52447565
>>52447608
infighting in the group, all friends, people's aligmnents changed, one person did not agree and does not like traitors, is being a cunt about it, this was just an introduction to dnd for some people, needs a concrete ending.

I can also have them unleash the god and the god actually giving them unholy powers so they could enact their goal, wiping out an army, getting tons of money and killing a whole tribe of cannibals, this way they feed the god's power while he rules over the plain as a god-king
>>
>>52446474
Ka'kari
>>
>>52447526
You're thinking about the wrong medium.
Take the LotR movie, the Moria sequence - in the book it was done over days of travel, in the movie it was a combat encounter after the other.
If your world isn't hammy enough to survive that sort of director's choices, use the longer rests variant, or disallow long rests in stressful circumstances.
>>
Only Mystic campaign is the most balance and functional.
>>
File: sagat-chaosfix.jpg (593KB, 1400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sagat-chaosfix.jpg
593KB, 1400x1600px
If I want to play a brawler/street fighter character, is monk the only option? I had been thinking about going assassin rogue or bear barbarian and taking the tavern brawler feat. Thoughts on this?
>>
>>52447626
Casters can bend physics and time to their whim.

Physically though everyone seems limited to what mearls high school quarterback might have been capable of.

This becomes a problem when there are entire classes that are limited to physical feats.
>>
>>52447656
Interesting, but ouch bad luck with the infighting and such. I would give them the powers to do as they pleased but then have the god be the final boss as to release them from their powers thereby not destroying the characters stats for good or at least balance their unholy powers in some way.
>>
>>52447598

You're right on the fluff argument, but these multiclasses are as optimal as you can get. If you want to grapple with anything approaching reliability you need Expertise, or a source of Advantage, or preferably both. So you either take a level of rogue, or three levels of bard. However you multiclass or singleclass to achieve it is your preference, but that's the minimum threshold for competence.

And in the particular case of martial multiclassing, you get your Extra Attack at 5 so MCing right afterwards for 1-3 levels doesn't really gimp you, it only makes you better at what you were already attempting to do.
>>
>>52447693
Moria itself was at most two or three encounters. Most movies limit themselves to two to four encounters in a plot. Switching to them doesn't help your case.
>>
>>52445635
What is everybody's opinion on how well 5e runs official TSR/WOTC settings?

Here's my opinion, from best to worst

1.Greyhawk
2.Forgotten Realms
3.Dragonlance
4.Birthright
5.Dark Sun
6. Mystara
7. Ravenloft
8. Planescape
9. Spell Jammer
10. Eberron
>>
>>52447723
People always say that as if casters just have infinite power.
That was almost literally the case in 3.5 if you knew what you were doing, but it really isn't true anymore.
Murder-wise at least casters aren't really better off than those "high school athletes".
>>
>>52447753
I like that, they get to enact their revenge, but their will slowly becomes not their own, so they must band together one last time to kill the god or seal him in a doll once again!
>>
>>52447803
Murder is only a third of the game.
>>
>>52447803
You are when you magic jar yourself into a clone of demon/angel/whatever
>>
>>52447824
It's also the one with the most mechanics dedicated to it by far.
>>
File: 1405417939813.gif (2MB, 350x314px) Image search: [Google]
1405417939813.gif
2MB, 350x314px
>>52447788
You ran 10 settings?
>>
File: inventory sheet.pdf (333KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
inventory sheet.pdf
333KB, 1x1px
Just hit 11th level. These are the magic items my character, a straight light cleric, has available.
Am I over-item'd or under-item'd for a 11th level character?
>>
>>52447844
Being a demon or angel isn't that cool when it turns out they're actually chumps that can be hacked to pieces like anything else.
>>
>>52447712
If you want to attack unarmed for good damage, yes, monks are the only option.

But monks key off DEX so you won't be the big strong type.

Using weapons is simply better than not using weapons (or magic). And if you go the Barbarian + Tavern Brawler route, you'll be pretty tough, but not deal much damage, meaning enemies have little reason not to walk past you to attack others.

Unless you grapple... and with the right array of feats and abilities you can power bomb suplex and other neat things.
>>
Not playing a party of barbarians, each with a different totem path and the tavern brawler feat, as a group of wondering kungfu masters with different styles.
>>
>>52447820
Yea, sounds like a good wrap up, and if they seal him in the doll he can be brought back in a later campaign if you want.
>>
File: image.jpg (246KB, 920x1177px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246KB, 920x1177px
>>52447712
Fighter2/Monk?
Add feats to spice

Name them DONGMANUS and be named the heir to Hokuto Shonken
>>
File: Elemental Evil.jpg (638KB, 1600x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Elemental Evil.jpg
638KB, 1600x1224px
Anyone got that pdf with all the official book/UA subclasses and races listed, preferably one updated with all the latest stuff?
>>
>>52447845
And?

I'll never understand this defense. It's like you've been fed shit for so long, that after the shitter switches to a high five diet and the shit gets 1/3rd less digested, you look at your plate, and with a huge shit eating grin on your face, fecal matter smearing it, you look up and exclaim "delicious!"

Even at the murder part of the game, martials aren't capable of the heroic feats in myth and legend that the system is supposedly meant to emulate.
>>
>>52447891
I am writing his speech already and the wrap up of the story.

The god is dead/ the god is sealed back into the lifeless doll, you all look at each other, exhausted from the fight, but with faint smiles on your face. They quickly fade away as you realise that you can never trust each other again, you look away in some sort of shame and walk your own path.
>>
>>52447848
As either sustained campaigns or at least for 3 months of weekly play, yes.

You do realize that just scratches the surface of TSR settings?
>>
>>52447880
hey look, it's a beefy Christopher Eccleston
>>
>>52447927
Rad dude.
>>
Say you had a monk archetype that was about stances, basically the equivalent of concentration spells on self. How many different stances would you need for the monk to choose from? How many should they gain as they progress? What should the stances do?
>>
>>52447535
stole that gif from me
>>
>>52447553
>Wheel of Time

Muh nigga
>>
>>52447947
I love it when these threads give me good advice, cheers guys.
>>
>>52447854
list their rarity
>>
>>52447854
Your fake created Mary Sue character has waaaaaay to many magic items. Is he a 400 year old lich with a gigantic magic item hoard? Why not just make him a giant magic item? #kys
>>
>>52447922
Don't get your panties in a twist.

You're still missing the point which is that if martials aren't matching the combat prowess of legends then neither are the casters. They just fail to do it in a more flashy way.
>>
>450+ posts
Wew
>>
>>52448028
>163 posts
>>
>>52447961
Depends, I would have at least 10-12. They would most likely be gaining one every 3 levels or so. The stances should be used to provide specific moves for situations that arise.

Example: The monk and his party will encounter a green dragon up ahead the monk uses his stance archetype to access a new move called Absorb Poison (note this would need a limit). This stance allows his next attack if the monk was inflicted with poison to deal poison damage to whichever enemy he can. Though not useful for the Green Dragon he could use it in a later battle unless his stance wears off releasing the stored poison.

That's how I would use it though.
>>
>>52447912
you made it huh
fishing for compliments huh
>>
>>52448062
I'm not entirely 100% with all the spells yet so I apologize if that is a spell that I just ripped and butchered.
>>
>>52447854
My level 10 wizard's magic items: a signet ring (ring of sending), wand of the war mage +3, bracers of defense, wand of magic detection, a few potions and scrolls

Nigga this ain't wow
>>
TFW I thought that hold person literally held a person in place and not just paralyzed them
>>
>>52448076
What?
I didn't make it if that's what you mean. I just remember seeing it a while back and want to find one to give my players so they are aware of all the new stuff that has come out for play testing in the last few months.
>>
>>52447769
Wouldn't knocking somebody prone give me advantage on grapples? Or does the Athletics check not count as an attack roll?

Also, keep in mind that the same Extra Attacks (X) don't stack from multiple different classes.

If I have 6 levels in Valor Bard I already have Extra Attack (1), so when I get to level 5 in Fighter then Extra Attack (1) is completely redundant and doesn't do anything.

Read Page 146 of the PHB:
>If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more
>than one class, the features don't add together. Vou
>can't make more than two attacks with this feature
>unless il says you do (as lhe fighter's version of Extra
>Attack does). Similarly, the warlock's eldritch invocation
>Thirsting Blade doesn't give you additional attacks if you
>also have Extra Attack.
>>
>>52448106
download the UA zip from the op
>>
>>52448104
It's the same thing that Kylo Ren used on Rey, where he'd kinda hold her in place and rub her face and give a monologue, as my wizard also does to women he Holds
>>
>>52448131
That's like 30+ poorly organized pdfs man.
I just know there was already a list made and was asking if anyone had it.
>>
>>52448055
Last thread dingus
>>
>>52448166
Oh I have it
>>
>>52447912
You mean this?
>>
>>52448174
One of the recent ones got to over 500.
>>
>>52448197
Perfect. Thanks a lot man.
>>
How do I put mechs in 5e?
>>
>>52447848
Just rotate every year like the chinese calendar
>>
>>52448215
golems with cockpits
>>
>>52445733
This is why you don't roll stats
>>
>>52448198
We're getting lazy
>>
>>52448215
just do it you retard
>>
>>52448198
And still nobody made a new one before it died
>>
File: Untitled.png (681KB, 682x639px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
681KB, 682x639px
>>52448215
like this but a mech
>>
File: apparatus-of-kwalish-0.jpg (434KB, 1247x798px) Image search: [Google]
apparatus-of-kwalish-0.jpg
434KB, 1247x798px
>>52448215
Seriously?
>>
MyWarforgedWaifu.com
>>
Is New Neverwinter an actual thing?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/New_Neverwinter

Theres an article thats pretty in depth on the Forgotten Realms wiki but I'm not sure if this is actually true or accurate.
>>
>>52448454
>>52448460
Will I ever know what it's like to snib someone?
>>
>>52448494
this has "live PAX game" written all over it
>>
File: Sun Elf.png (90KB, 430x687px) Image search: [Google]
Sun Elf.png
90KB, 430x687px
I drew my sun elf warlock. What should I name her? Nymestia Sunglow?
>>
>>52448527
Elfface McShaggin
>>
>>52448494
look at the references retard
>>
>>52448521
What does that imply? Sorry, I'm new to D&D and /tg/
>>
>>52448527
What's wrong with her left eye?
>>
>UA revised ranger on 5 th level gains the ability to attack twice instead of one whenever he makes a weapon attack
Does it mean that on two weapon fighting he makes 4 attacks?
>>
>>52448576
NOOOOOOOOOO
no.
>>
>>52448549
>posting instead of lurking
the hell
>>
File: This is gonna be good.gif (1MB, 276x210px) Image search: [Google]
This is gonna be good.gif
1MB, 276x210px
>>52448576
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
>>
>>52448527
No it's spelled "drow"
>>
>>52447981
Here's my best reckoning, since some of these my DM got from homebrew suggestions or made himself:

>Blinding Chaplet
unknown, unknown, attunement
>Futility's Ally
unknown, unknown,
>Bracers of Archery
wondrous, uncommon, attunement
>Divine Shepard's crook
Rod, uncommon, attunement
>Detective's Bubbler
wonderous, common
>Sack of Stackenblochen
wondrous, common
>Grey Bag of tricks
Wondrous, uncommon
>Lewis the Pet Rock
wondrous, uncommon

>>52447995
not sure what #kys means, but pretty sure you're just being incendiary?

>>52448103
I know it ain't, just trying to get an idea as to where my character stacks up against other group's PCs of similar level. trying to see if our DM is going over or under on our power progression.
>>
>>52448614
obviously way too many
>>
>>52448576
>>
>>52448527
What's with elves being depicted as demure people with unflattering robes and cloaks?
>>
Valor bard or Hexblade?
>>
File: MoonElfWizard02.png (413KB, 391x512px) Image search: [Google]
MoonElfWizard02.png
413KB, 391x512px
My elf husbando
>>
>>52446474
The Dragon Balls
Instead of a wish, though, you just summon the illithid god to wipe the party for keks
>>
>>52448638
they're romantics

>>52448658
delete this half breed
>>
>>52448663
>they're romantics

Sounds like they're boring.
>>
File: MoonElfWizard01.png (1MB, 781x1023px) Image search: [Google]
MoonElfWizard01.png
1MB, 781x1023px
>>52448663
>delete this half breed
he's a tolkien elf so he looks more human
edited from this
>>
My players 5 lvl 7 party has about 25k gold as well as 2 or 3 magic items all ina bag of holding

I'm thinking of having a thief try and steal it
>>
>>52448682
are you new? next you're going to tell me they're gay and we'll all nod in unison
>>
>>52448724
kitsune thief
>>
>>52448614
For 5e, your DM is being very generous with magic items. Nothing wrong with it if it fits your group, but it's a more than what most people can expect to have in an average game.

kys means "kill yourself" on Tumblr.

>>52448687
Is it a particular Tolkien elf?
Also, take that non-5e-related shit elsewhere. I think /pfg/ is accepting of sexyposting.
>>
File: High Elf.jpg (63KB, 564x744px) Image search: [Google]
High Elf.jpg
63KB, 564x744px
>>52448726
No.

Demure romantics are not how I imagine elves.

Elves to me are chaotic and glamorous.
>>
>>52448740
I was thinking - because they are going into neverwinter and such, that the players get scammed into buying knock off magic items and his bag of holding replaced by a bag of biting
>>
File: NightElf01.png (1MB, 800x1734px) Image search: [Google]
NightElf01.png
1MB, 800x1734px
>>52448770
>Also, take that non-5e-related shit elsewhere.
r8 my Night Elf waifu
>>
>>52448785
oh you're that faggot from the post pictures of elves thread. >>>/fa/
>>
>>52448828
And?

I reject this retarded notion that elves must be these demure things.

So suck my dick, faggot.
>>
>>52448119
Athletics check doesn't count as an attack roll, no. You don't get advantage from the target being prone.

I'm sorry you went on your Extra Attack tangent, but I never suggested multiclassing Valor Bard into Fighter. Valor Bard is the best single-class grappler precisely because it gets Expertise, Advantage (through magic) and Extra Attack all on its lonesome.

What I suggested was 3 levels of Lore Bard or 1-2 levels of Rogue, + a martial.
>>
>>52447670
Well then only the main character can use it, Blint.
>>
File: MaleHalfElfFace02.png (400KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
MaleHalfElfFace02.png
400KB, 736x736px
>>52448863
r8 my half elf husbando
>>
>>52447712
Ask your DM if he will allow you to multiclass Fighter and UA Stone sorcerrer.

Start with a Fighter level first (for the Str and Con saves), then a level in Stone sorcerrer (for their Con based unarmoured feature) and continue with fighter levels.
Pick Battlemaster for the archetype.
Grab the tavern brawler feat via Variant human or at a later level if your DM won't let you play V. human.
>>
>>52448920
Rogue or Necromancer?
>>
>>52448949
rogue
>>
>>52446747
>>52447418
>>52447598
>>52448119
Go fighter and grab 2W fighting. You can refluff whatever you use into gauntlets. (2x d4 clubs into light gauntlets, 2x d6 scimitar or shortsword for slashing or piercing gauntlets, 2x d6 handaxes for slashing gautnlets you can throw.) If you start with or pick up dual wielder you can have 2x d8 bludgeoning flails as heavy gauntlets.

You can use your free action to stow one of the gauntlets whenever you want to grapple with a free hand. If you want to be able to quickly swap to a javelin or net, multiclass into rogue3 for thief's fast hands. Rogue1 would also net you expertise on your athletics for grappling, which is really nice as >>52448876 says.
>>
>>52448949
>>52448982
He's so cool.

>Trait: Talk is cheap. I rarely speak unless I am trying to intimidate or
deceive someone.
>Ideal: Independence. I choose my own fate; no one else decides for me.
>Bond: I will do whatever it takes to become wealthy and powerful.
>Flaw: I will never fully trust anyone other than myself.
>>
>>52448982
Bretty good, scarf is a useful disguise utility. Tight clothes good for maneuverability. Clearly relaxed in an urban environment, but keeping a wary eye. Colour choices good for night operations.
>>
>>52449042
In my mind he also has a thick, uncut girthy cock of average length.
>>
>>52448576
Wait...
Did they really made the mistake and wrote it like this?
If so i'm so multiclassing it with monk so i can abuse hunters mark.
>>
>>52449008
Alternatively, you can go 2H fighting and always have a 2H weapon in your hands. Since 2H weapons only need both hands when you actually want to make an attack you always have a free hand to grapple with, you just won't be able to attack while grappling. You will also be able to pull out javelins/nets and use them easily without multiclassing since you won't have to stow anything to use them.
>>
>>52449065
I mean sure, if you like.
>>
File: 1485763517903.gif (4MB, 404x264px) Image search: [Google]
1485763517903.gif
4MB, 404x264px
>>52449087
>>
>>52449074
There's no mistake. In two-weapon fighting the second attack uses your bonus action. All extra attacks are worded the same way-- you can make additional attacks. You don't magically get additional bonus attacks to come with it.
>>
File: read the fucking book.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
read the fucking book.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>52448576
No? Even revised ranger's Extra Attack specifies that it's only when you take the Attack action.
>>
Are Dmpc's always a bad idea? My groups never really played and ive only dm'd a few games. One of my group suggested I make one to round the party up to 4.

Would it be so terrible to make something like a support and limit my interactions outside of combat?
>>
>>52448876

Alright I get you.

I definately wouldn't put 3 levels in Bard, but I can definately see myself getting 1 level in Rogue

>>52449008

Rogue is nice, yes. I don't deem the second level necessary though, I would probably put it off until I am sure I won't have a feat or something contending for my bonus action.

As for the gauntlets:
Is all that really necessary? Why even bother re fluffing the stuff into gauntlets if I am just going to put them away to grapple anyway?

Good advice all round though desu, even if I got a bit confused at one point.
>>
>>52448918
One was a god, one was a statue in the magi school and the other was the main character. Make it pre books before everything went to shit.
>>
>>52449228
DMPCs are really fucking hard to pull off because of obvious reasons. Avoid it unless you're either really confident you can make it work or if you're using a DMPC to make a point. One of the campaigns I played had a DMPC who was functionally Featherine.
>>
>>52449248
>Is all that really necessary?
Definitely not. I just thought it sounded better for a grappler. And note because it'd be two-weapon fighting you only have to take off one weapon to grapple, and then you can still use the other weapon to smash their face in.

Simplest way to grapple and also be able to throw javelins/nets is probably 2H as mentioned >>52449081 . With that you'd at most maybe want rogue1 for expertise.
>>
>>52449228
The deal is that you as a DM know all the answers and how to be an active player yet be to know everything? It's honestly 10 times better for someone else to DM before you get burnout.
>>
>>52448062
If 12, you go with Way of the Zodiac, if you can think of thematically appropriate stances.
>>
>>52449228
Almost always a bad idea. If you still end up doing it, kill him off in the third session. For the players it's almost like watching the DM jerk himself over the table
>>
>>52445743

Oh fucking Christ, a "muh martial superheroes" faggot mixed with "rules are physics."

Just use the AD&D measuring sticks (distances are assumed to be yards above ground, feet below ground).

D&D is not primarily about mythology, D&D is primarily about swords & sorcery. Take your "rules should be a physics simulator" mindset and shove it up your ass.
>>
>>52449228
Try something like a silent patsy (especially if a player is noble)
Could be a squire, a hired guard, a tracker, a guide, whatever. Regardless of who it is, he shouldn't be overshadowing the group ever.

Give the character a bland appearance and a shitty nobody background. His name is Bob, or Steve, or Rick.
>>
>>52449324
The 2H method sounds good, but the drawback is that I cannot attack while grappling.
Then again I suppose I could put the 2H weapon away, grapple and shove on my first turn, then draw my one handed weapon and start attacking on the next.
A lot to think about, but I might just go for a versatile 1H weapon for flavor because all this drawing and sheathing looks quite silly when I picture it in my head,
>>
>>52449320
>>52449328
I may just try it for a session or two, until they're more competent players. I was going to try a kenku cleric or bard so i cant contribute to conversations about what to do and for the occasional comic relief, and probably end up murdered for a plot hook.
>>
>>52449228

There's even less of a need for a DMPC in 5th edition than in previous editions, and there was none then either.

Insofar as healing is concerned, everybody gets to spend Hit Dice on a short rest. As a DM, it's your job to design and pace encounters so that they're challenging to your party. If your party lacks any healing abilities whatsoever, slow the pace of things so they can take some short rests a little more often - be aware though that this refreshes their other resources, like superiority die and some spell slots.

With regards to encounter design, just use Kobold Fight Club. Be aware of your party's strengths and weaknesses, and work accordingly. I play in a 3-man group with heavy ranged and offensive spellcasting components. My DM is slowly learning that sending a single melee-focused bruiser at us is a bad idea.

Also, bounded accuracy in 5e means that the number of attacks per round available to a side is way more important than the quality of those attacks. 4 goblins can be a serious challenge for 3x level 1 players, by simply outnumbering them.
>>
>>52449418
>I was going to try a kenku cleric or bard
No that's too interesting. He should be "generic human beefcake man."
>>
>>52449458
Well, ill kill him off so them liking him is even better
>>
>>52449479
Make him a philanthropist noble who buys them all sorts of basic gear at the start
>>
>>52449479
I don't think >>52449458 meant it's too likeable. A kenku is too interesting by virtue of being somewhat unique, thus stealing the spotlight away from the actual PC's. A support DMPC should be as bland as possible.
>>
>>52449479
No it isn't. They aren't guaranteed to like your character. If Frank #82 dies and they don't like him, whatever he was just Frank #82. If he dies and they liked him anyway, then good you made a memorable character with zero effort and focused on making the other plot-important NPCs interesting.
>>
>>52449392
In hindsight, wielding a versatile weapon by itself would be best. You can do everything described with a 2H weapon, and you can also attack while grappling. The only downside is it won't benefit anywhere near as much from Great Weapon Fighting as a greatsword or maul would. Though you could also pick dueling instead.
>>
New game is level 8,
Party has a Kensei Monk, 2Paladin/3UndyingLight Warlock/3 Dragon Sorcerer, and a Gunsmith Artificer.

What should I go with as the 4th member? DM says yes 90% of the time but he rolls high and everything is challenging.
>>
File: Pugilist Class.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Pugilist Class.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>52447712
>>
>>52449536
Mhmm.
If only there was a one handed weapon that did 2d4.
>>
>>52449608
I don't know why you would want GWF over duelling.

On a greatsword, GWF only gives +1.33 per hit, and that's the most you'll ever get out of it. Except maybe +2.66 on crits.
>>
>>52449593
>2Paladin/3UndyingLight Warlock/3 Dragon Sorcerer

Oh boy, I'm onto that guy.

I'd say... play a Wizard? Lore Mastery is right there.

Unless you want to martial it up as well.
>>
File: 1487825012219.jpg (9KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1487825012219.jpg
9KB, 240x240px
Druids
Are
GHEY!

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0LVh7jVIKV4
>>
>>52449651
GWF wouldn't apply to that weapon anyway.
I was just proposing the idea of a one handed weapon that didn't use Versatile or Finesse, but instead was 2d4 for a minor increase in minimum damage.
>>
>>52449593
Most of that party lacks utility.

The GFB meme build guy probably has a bit, but for the most part it'd just be 'I'm going to shillelagh and then GFB then waste all my spell slots on smite'

The kensei is just a monk that deals more damage who probably hasn't accepted that they're supposed to stun things
The gunsmith.. Just shoots things.

So, I'd suggest wizard, and make sure to pick up lots of utility shit.

Though, your party isn't too tanky. But neither is it not tanky. And as long as the monk gets mobile and the GFB meme builder covers their own ass you shouldn't have to worry about tankiness.
>>
How bad would it be to include a band of cursed individuals, known as the Sorrowful Bards Entourage, consisting of three members known as Leodor, Gutsman and Schumann?

Rolling town to town, reciting ballads that slowly depress the populace and make them give up a tribute of trinkets, gold and women, before they move on in search of the next town.

Would such an encounter be too much, too cheesy or meta? Would it help to break tension in a campaign that got too serious? Or is the reference too obvious?
>>
>>52449785
It's not obvious enough to me, but that could be because we don't listen to the same music. It depends on your players.
>>
>>52449785
ask /mu/
>>
>>52449593
>2Paladin/3UndyingLight Warlock/3 Dragon Sorcerer
Does this person have any backstory that makes even the SLIGHTEST bit of sense?
>>
>>52449785
Seems really unreasonable. If some assholes showed up to your town and started fucking shit up, you don't throw money at them, you throw rocks. The villagers would make an angry and sad mob and fuck'n kick the music nerd's teethes in.
>>
>>52449968
>3 most fluff-dependent classes in the game on a single character
>"Does this make story sense?"
You have 3 guesses

>>52449972
It's like you've never been to a Fall Out Boy concert. Sometimes people just want an excuse to feel sad.
>>
>>52449968
could be a dragonborn/dragon sorcerer that made an oath to the undying light.

it's not that complicated if you stop for a second to consider it.
>>
>>52449968
Not him. A guy is related to dragons and is powered by goodness and niceness. How hard is that?
>>
>>52450032
>Fall out boy music
>Sad
There music hasn't been sad in a long time. It's mostly just overly complex metaphors and analogies that when actually thought about sound really dumb (which is why I enjoy their music)
I get your point though, and I guess, but if their music has a genuinely negitive effect on the town people will get pissed. Imagine if the Good God Fearing "I love muh daughter" Farmer Man finds out the strangers made his lovely girl depressed. There is no way this band is getting through 3 villages without getting mobbed.
>>
File: 1490638818475.jpg (102KB, 605x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1490638818475.jpg
102KB, 605x1140px
Does anyone kinda get so attached to a character they get a little crazy? I take heroin sometimes, and the other day I saw the Great Wall and I was convinced that Matt Damon's character was actually my d&d character. I even said "He has the same name as [my character]" even though he didn't. The person I was watching with looked at me like I was crazy.

Also when I watch Vikings, I imagine scenes where my character is observing the barbarians of Ruathym or something for Waterdeep and the show is chronicling what he saw. I sometimes lay in bed and just imagine a day in the life of that same character too.

The first Scorpion King movie always ends up being about my character becoming chosen by an evil god or something.

So, anyone else do that too?
>>
>>52445697
What's this from? It's awesome and thanks btw
>>
>>52449823
I guess it'd be on thin ice then, I'll delay the name reveal to ensure that they don't catch on. Thanks for the input.

>>52449869
>Yung Lean threads on /mu/
>2017

>>52449972
I'd make them use a magical barrier or something. Like that paladin spell, Sanctuary or something that I remember from 3.5e, that prevents aggression.
>>
>>52450032
>>52449785
To be clear though, I don't dislike the concept, but I really don't think it would work as a traveling band. It would work a lot better as a small time band in the main capitol, where there are more edgy teens and other people drawn into sad music to enjoy them, as they'd really struggle to find a footing in random towns.

>>52450145
Well that would fix the people kicking them out part i guess, but i still doubt many people would want to give them any cash.
>>
>>52450174
To be honest their ballads would be the good old """"magic music xD"""" meme. Powerful enough to make the townsfolk miserable enough to just pay them off.
>>
>>52450230
So they cast a mass suggestion or something
>>
>>52450230
Alright. Well, if I was an adventurer that was either Neutral or Good I'd probably want to stop these people from essentially robbing townsfolk. You might want to figure out whether or not they'll be an actual encounter that can be fought.
>>
File: tumblr_oc16kcjgLA1vvs4jyo1_1280.png (967KB, 850x894px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oc16kcjgLA1vvs4jyo1_1280.png
967KB, 850x894px
>>52450120

I get excited about my characters too. My DM and I RP prolly 2-3 times a week outside of session on solo stuff, and I write fanfic about our party.
>>
These guys seem to be par for the course for Lore Bards. Lore Bards take it a step forward and don't just make people sad, but go around destroying people's faith in leaders, religion, etc.
>>
>>52450264
In a way, yes. My main problem with sticking them in a giant capitol would be the guards throwing them out, since its abuse of magic, in a sense.

+ If they're a travelling band, they could have a lost love, overarching quest, opus magna as a condition for clearing the encounter, plus setting them up as a plot hook later in the game, when they do get trashed by some overwhelming force under the BBEG of the setting.
>>
>>52447788
>10. Eberron
The only thing unique about Eberron is its overt kitchen-sink pulp. If as a GM you can't make that work in 5e then you're getting fixated on mechanical trappings.
>>
>>52450120
Probably should do some soul searching on that one senpai, starting to go a little overboard in my opinion.

The most I do is quietly minmax my character so they don't die.
>>
File: 14752156001.jpg (68KB, 564x813px) Image search: [Google]
14752156001.jpg
68KB, 564x813px
So, I posted about Dual Wielder feat in the last thread and just now I saw one answer that I really liked. Since most DMs don't care about drawing/stowing rules, this is supposed to replace the third bullet point in the feat:

>If you used your reaction to make an opportunity attack and a second creature provokes one from you, you can make an attack against it using your off-hand weapon.

How's that? Should I change the wording somehow?
>>
File: 1490530509581.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490530509581.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
What are some fun character race builds? I'm tired of playing just a variant human, but not many of the other races look all that interesting to me.
>>
>>52450443
If you want interesting races, I suggest /pfg/ or /4eg/. 5e has done away with such archaic concepts as "interesting" and "fun"
>>
>>52450120
The heroin is doing its toll on you nigga.

It's time to lay off that shit.
>>
>>52450464
>5e isn't fun

So are we having fun wrong?
>>
>>52450493
Of course not, but you could be having more fun.

At most, you're having fun inefficiently.
>>
>>52450513
I don't know about that I usually have a lot of fun
>>
>>52450310
Nice, glad to see I'm not alone.

>>52450412
@_@

>>52450468
I won't ever stop. I can't live without it. I still have the original lightbulb I first smoked out of years ago.
>>
>>52450440
Be mindful about dual wielding cause of classes that get extra damage on hits. I looked into getting dual wielding better, but then I played an adventurer's league dual wielding ranger and beat a lot of ass, I would have done even more if it wasn't the PHB ranger. I was doing 40+ by level 8 with hunter's mark on.

And technically, a rogue can do three sneak attacks with this feat if two people leave their area.
>>
>>52449968
Paladin + Undying Light is the easiest combination and Draconic heritage can easily come from a good draconic ancestor (natural inclination towards affinity for the light) or just innate positive-energy attuned magic.

It's not hard to justify, just straightforward and gimmicky.
>>
>>52450553
So imagine how much more fun you could be having with a 5.5e edition that corrects the glaring flaws in 5e's design.
>>
Does anyone here ever play dragonborn? I've been playing with my group weekly since the 5e playtest, and I've seen pretty much every race except dragonborn (and volo shit, but thats new so)
>>
>>52450443
Low STR dwarven cleric with shillelagh. Wear heavy armor, give no fucks because you're a dorf.
>>
>>52449651
>I don't know why you would want 7+1.33=8.33 over 4.5+2=6.5.
You give up +2AC for more damage. What's not to get?
>>
>>52450593
One thing I would do is add 200 more feats, and separate the ASI and the Feats. A wizard gets an ASI four times and and Gain Feat 4 times, at different levels. Fighters get more. Also indepth sexual encounters rules
>>
>>52450593
>So imagine how much more fun you could be having with a 5e that corrects the glaring flaws in 4e's and pf's design.

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>52450593
Please enlighten us as to hwat it is about 5e that's so broken it needs a fix as much as 3.0 did.

>>52450641
2 AC is A LOT. You need to really justify that loss.
>>
>>52450644

>indepth sexual encounters rules

Can alter self give people huge cocks
>>
>>52450644
>and Gain Feat 4 times
i mean 2 times for wiz
>>
>>52450644
>#Whoredwarf
>>
>>52450676
Who needs a cock for yourself, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion makes 100 servants.

Give them the cocks. And breasts.
>>
>>52450685
Lots of the feats seem really underwelming to me so I don't see a problem with it also remove the +1 from the ones that have it and replace with something else
>>
>>52450676
No, only the appearance of huge cocks. They don't stand up to physical inspection, and anyone who interacts with them is entitled to an intelligence (investigation) check to see through the ruse.
>>
>>52450706
No I'm pretty sure alter self changes your form for real am I thinking of the wrong spell
>>
>>52450705
Feats with a +1 make odd number stats slightly more meaningful.
>>
>>52450737
But if we were to separate ASI and Feats why let them keep them
>>
>>52450661
>You need to really justify that loss.
1.83~ more average damage per attack. This multiplies with every extra attack or reaction attack performed. Also you can pull out any throwing weapon and throw it once per turn. Also you can grapple. Also you can interact with objects.

Seems like a lot of versatility to me. And that's just off the top of my head.
>>
>>52450734
it does
>>
>>52449524
>>52449505
Fair enough, I see what you mean. I just like the idea of playing essentially a mute (but not fully)
>>
Is warcaster pretty much required for a valor bard?
>>
>>52450750
Why ever do that?
>>
>>52450755
Losing 2 AC means taking about 20-30% extra damage. An increase of ~15% in damage is probably not worth it unless you're pretty sure nobody's attacking you.
>>
>>52450794
I though someone else brought that up
>>
>>52450772
Only if you get hit, if you don't get hit, then it's fine. But if you get hit and like vicious mockery on people running from you then it's a necessity.
>>
>>52449593
Play an Arcane Trickster.

Grab the sword cantrips for your damage and focus your other spells on utility.
>>
>>52450772
It always bothered me that that feat doesn't do anything to help with material components when your hands are full.
>>
>>52450817
Remember, sticks and stones may break your bones, but it's not as bad as a bard calling you a coward for backing off.
>>
>>52450772
No, but it helps if you're going S&B.

An archer Valor Bard just pops up Swift Quiver and attacks 4 times per round.
>>
I brought up that if there ever was an update to 5e, I'd like to see gaining ASI and Feats to be handled more elegantly. But it's really my only complaint with the system, and it's a minor one. I love 5e and have had lots of fun playing it. Also I just installed a wood floor in my kitchen lol it was so hard.
>>
>>52450661
Bounded Accuracy fundamentally breaks the game when combined with stacking AC modifiers, and poor monster skill check designs (grappling, in particular)

The races are horribly imbalanced, and Variant Human is obviously superior to everything. Calling it a "variant" isn't a fix. You don't put options in the PHB without intending players use them.

Feats are either bad or amazing, with very little "you can potentially pick this up and make it good".

Martials have finally caught up damage wise, but are basically glorified packmules outside of combat. Combat is supposedly only a third of the game, but in order to make things fair for your fighter and give them equal screentime, you basically need to play a 75% combat, 25% noncombat type of game. Those types of games suck IMO, but maybe other people enjoy them.

The game isn't balanced around how people want to play it. It's supposedly balanced around 6-8 encounters per day, but nobody wants to do that, and it just doesn't make sense story wise to do so.

Combat is pretty boring. Once per Encounter Powers (or their equivalent) need to be brought back.

Martials are not supernaturally good at physical things, while mages are obviously supernaturally good at their niche. The rules for physical type skill checks seem to be balanced not around the peaks of human fitness and conditioning, but around very mundane and boring people trying physical feats.

Those are the common complaints I see.
>>
>>52450440
Hm, you're definitely right about that. Though it is an edge case to even have 2 creatures running away from you. Two creatures that would matter, at least.
>>
>>52449347
Make it the Western Zodiac, just to subvert expectations.
>>
>>52450909
Shit, meant to respond to >>52450584
>>
>>52450799
I'd need to see the math on the increased damage taken to believe it. Even then, that would be without factoring in less damage taken from possibly killing things faster. Also, while the damage output is +16% with a +5 mod, it's +19% with a +3.

I'm not saying this is an obviously better choice, just that it's easy to see why people would make it.
>>
DM is running 5e's tomb of horrors and I think I'm the Rogue character? Never played one before and we're starting at lvl 20 which I have also never played before. Got any suggestions for a build?
>>
>>52450962
You're analyzing it wrong.

You don't compare the damage from GWF to +2 AC from a shield, you compare it to +1 AC from Defensive.

Why? Because GWF is your damage choice if you wield a Two-Handed Heavy weapon, and you do that for the advantages of said weapons, like PAM and GWM. That decision has already been made, so all that's left is to decide whether you want to do a little extra damage, or patch up somewhat the defense you sacrificed for it.
>>
>>52450889
>Bounded accuracy breaks the game
As opposed to stacking bonuses up to +50 like in 3.pf?
>The races are horribly imbalanced
Even V. Human isn't THAT much more powerful. Thanks to the 20 limit on a stat, by level 8 race choice barely matters anymore.
>Feats are either bad or amazing
This is not new in 5e.
>Martials have caught up damage-wise
Did you miss the part where casters do LESS damage than they used to? Martials are about combat (it's in their name). Casters are about utility.
Also, skill checks and equipment exist. "But casters have access to them too!" doesn't nullify that because they overlap with caster capabilities, while strictly adding to martials'.
>Balanced around 6-8 encounters per day
[citation needed]
>Combat is pretty boring
No more than any other edition of D&D, except 4e, which had its own massive problems in combat (bloated math, long rounds, too many modifiers to keep track of in certain situations).
"Refreshes on a short rest" is the equivalent of once per encounter. The only problem is that short rests have been extended to an hour so nobody takes them anymore. In my opinion, this is the biggest problem in 5e as it is.
>Martials not supernaturally good at physical feats
Okay, go hit someone with a sword 4 times in 6 seconds while they're defending themselves and also move 30 feet in heavy armor while opening a door. I'll wait.
>>
>>52450889
If I were designing 5.5e, I'd do the following:

>re-balance the monster manual so more monsters don't automatically lose the second you try to grapple them.
>introduce caps on AC bonuses. You can have only two bonuses to AC: one for your applicable stat bonus, and one for everything else. If at any point you have more than 2 bonuses to AC, only the two highest apply.
>do the same for to-hit bonuses, for consistency.
>introduce more features that use reactions, both for monsters and players, to encourage more reactions that aren't opportunity attacks, and hopefully encourage more mobile combat.
>rebalance skill checks for physical exploits so that martial players are starting at "peak human fitness" at level 1, and moving into "holy shit he just long jumped the english channel and split africa from Europe, creating the Mediterranean sea" territory by level 20.
>give every martial class some ribbon type feature that makes them much better at a category of physical feats to enable the types of shenanigans listed above
>rebalance every class so many class features can be used once per turn, thus competing more strongly with "attack/cantrip" and making combat more fun.
>short rests to 10 minutes, long rests stay at an hour.
>>
>>52450983
>starting at lvl 20
that's dumb
at level 20 a rogue would be running the organized crime of an entire city
not robbing tombs
a wizard would literally be an immortal archmage with a million students
>>
>>52450120
i don't do heroin, but i do get attached on my characters but i always ends in my expectations over my character never being fulfilled so i end up getting real salty instead.

there was this point in one of our runs, plenty of things set up into this encounter with a dragon. and while the task wasn't to kill exclusively, but to recover a shit or whatnot, i had my character extremely focused on killing it. several of the party members were also on that page, even if we knew some of us could die through it.

but in the end half of the party cowered midfight and left the rest to fight the thing, and we almost took it off but the dm forced our escape before we ended up all dying.

if they had kept fighting we would've taken the thing easily but alas, my character wasn't ever the same again and i couldn't bother with the rest of the run. it's been months since that and i'm still upset about it. getting so close to meeting your expectations and then being left behind by everyone.
>>
>>52450983
>DM is running 5e's tomb of horrors and I think I'm the Rogue character?
I like that VN.
>>
>>52450889

You still have yet to present anything that is even teensily, teenily comparable to the reasons 3.0 needed the 3.5 revision.

Vhumans are only broken if you don't use feat rewards.
>>
>>52450925
>Way of the Zodiac
>Sagitarius monk finally gives us the zen archer.
>Ram monk is a mobile dive bomber.
>Virgo monk is uh a virgin? Maybe some sort of healer?
>Twin monk finally gives us a propper water element monk.
>>
What's the cheesiest way to beat tomb of horrors?
>>
>>52451022
>All characters have the same goals
>All rogues are criminals
>>
>>52451015
>[citation needed]
Maybe read the DMG.
>>
>>52451056

warlock/necro who uses short rest animate dead and pact of the chain so he has an imp familiar that he doesn't even need a spell slot to restore
>>
>>52451013
But what brought the convo up was >I don't know why you would want GWF over duelling.
>>
So our party managed to get 10k plat pieces. How? By dangling it in front of our faces in a bank.

So we cast illusions and rob it with a bag of holding

What does the DM do?

>next session
>randomly have the bag of holding explode because of antidimensional wards or some bullshit
>all that play falls out
>did I mention we are in the city keep?
>try to teleport away
>can't let you do that Steve
>2 players get beheaded and I'm in prison
>>
>>52450983
>20 wisdom
>observant
>expertise in perception
Get your perception so high you know how your character is going to die before it dies
>>
>>52451018
Being able to split continents would be fucking retarded.
I don't care if that happened in some story.
>>
>>52451015
>As opposed to stacking bonuses up to +50 like in 3.pf?

They didn't eliminate stacking bonuses, they just reduced them. Stacking bonuses are actually more powerful now, thanks to bounded accuracy. On the whole, it's worse now than it was then.

>Even V. Human isn't THAT much more powerful. Thanks to the 20 limit on a stat, by level 8 race choice barely matters anymore.
>implying people play past level 8

>This is not new in 5e.
And? That doesn't mean it isn't a flaw of the system. Casters being objectively superior to martials isn't new either, but it's still a flaw.

>Did you miss the part where casters do LESS damage than they used to? Martials are about combat (it's in their name). Casters are about utility.
>Also, skill checks and equipment exist. "But casters have access to them too!" doesn't nullify that because they overlap with caster capabilities, while strictly adding to martials'.

Casters still slightly outdamage martials, thanks to the ability to hit many foes at once. It's basically a wash. Skill checks are the same for martials and casters. They don't fold into casting. Using the skill check system, a caster can be just as good or better than a martial at any specific skill check.

>citation needed
DMG
>4e problems
The math was fixed with later iterations of the DMG, combat is just as long now as it was then (hint: long combat is a group problem, not a system problem in this context)

>ignorance about peak fitness

Just watch the olympics dude. You can't go >heavy armor to me, because the fighter in plate runs just as fast without it. Take the plate off the fighter and he's still just a high school track athlete.
>>
>>52450962
Take a typical level 1 situation - fighter wearing chain mail (AC 16), goblin attacking with a scimitar.
Goblin is +4 to hit, so it hits on a 12+ (45%). If the fighter were using a shield, the goblin would need 14+ (35%).
The average damage is 5.5 (1d6+2). The means that without the shield, the expected damage is 5.5 x .45 = 2.475. With the shield, the expected damage is 5.5 x .35 = 1.925.
The percent increase in damage from not wearing a shield is therefore (2.475 - 1.925) / 1.925 * 100% = 28.57%.

This obviously depends on the accuracy of the attacker - a higher +to hit means a shield matters less, and a lower means it matters more. But 20-30% is a very typical range.
>>
>>52451127
>take the plate off the fighter and he's still just a high school track athlete.
Put a high school track athlete in plate then.
>>
>>52451015
>>Balanced around 6-8 encounters per day
>[citation needed]

maybe try reading the fucking DMG?
>>
>>52451091
I know, and it's so dumb. Dueling is better than GWF - you only consider GWF because you can't use Dueling on two-handed weapons.
>>
>>52451123
At level 20, a fighter should be able to replicate real world myth.

>>52451163
http://www.benjaminrose.com/post/mobility-in-medieval-plate-armor/
>>
>>52451163
Yah I think these people overestimate high school track athletes
>>
>>52451127
> On the whole, it's worse now than it was then.
How long has it been since you played 3.pf? You really have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>52451195
Not everyone wants a game where the level 20 monks are Goku and can destroy planets.
>>
>>52451195
>http://www.benjaminrose.com/post/mobility-in-medieval-plate-armor/
Yes, I know. But armor not being 200kg doesn't mean a high school track and field team can run at the exact same speed (with no training).
>>
>>52451240
Those people could simply not play level 20 campaigns then. You sound like the people responsible for champion fighter.

>"Not everyone wants a complicated class"
>"So play it simple then, and let others have their fun"
>"no"

I mean, there wouldn't really be a problem with 5e's scale if the casters obeyed the same scale martials did. But that isn't the case.
>>
>>52451127
>Stacking bonuses are actually more powerful now
Per bonus, yes. But there are only a handful, whereas 3.pf has literally dozens of bonuses you can apply to the same roll/stat. An optimized 3.pf character has +20 to hit over an unoptimized one by level 10.

>>Implying people play past level 8
>Implying every group is as dysfunctional as yours

>Doesn't mean it isn't flaw of the system
No, but it means it's apparently not going to be fixed either way.
>Casters being objectively superiors
Simply not true anymore, m8

>Casters still slightly outdamage martials
This is absolutely false unless you literally only fight once a day. Once a caster uses their highest-level spell slots (of which they have very few) their DPR drops significantly. Martials output high and consistently.

>Caster can be as good or better
You're missing the point - skills solve similar problems to spells. The caster is wasting his resources mastering both.

>Math was fixed with later iterations
By the time it was fixed the game was already dead (which is a shame).

>Watch the olympics
Why, do they have people who hit 4 times in 6 seconds while moving 30 feet and opening a door?
>>
>>52451151
Interesting, I wonder if the percentage decreases or increases when you get higher base AC due to better armor since damage per hit should have also increased. Also, whether that damage would now be a lower or higher percentage of your new higher hp values. Once again, it also doesn't factor in possible damage decreased due to possibly killing enemies sooner.

>>52451177
>Dueling is better than GWF
I don't agree with this though. You do more damage and have more versatility with GWF.
>>
>>52451290
>You're missing the point - skills solve similar problems to spells. The caster is wasting his resources mastering both.

What resources does a bard waste being good at skills? What resources does a rogue waste doing the same?

Do you even know how skills work in this edition?
>>
File: tmp_12109-67Z4xI-634536245.gif (6MB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_12109-67Z4xI-634536245.gif
6MB, 400x267px
Got some decent feedback from last night so I'll post it again
I had an idea for Monks where they could learn monk-specific feats or rather, Secret Techniques by seeking out the master of said technique and training under them for a while
Here's what I have so far, including some ideas another anon contributed, feel free to comment or contribute as well

>Vacuum Fist, can 'throw' your unarmed strikes up to 30 feet
>Kamehameha Wave, expend ki points one turn, next turn you deal MA damage in a line. This damage is Force damage
>boost strength to 24 for one non-attack action, like lifting a gate
>give advantage on an attack roll/tumble through an enemy square/etc
>make a non-monk weapon a monk weapon for a day (does this step on kensai's toes?)
>change your unarmed strikes to slashing or piercing damage
>get an extra reaction
>'cast' the jump spell on yourself
>'cast' fly on yourself
>Kaioken, expend ki points and hit dice to give yourself additional damage, AC, and movement
>Super Monk, spend 3 ki points to forego any movement bonuses you have, in exchange your physical stats become 20 for one minute (think Roshi, or Trunks versus Cell)
>>
>>52451288
Casters are still a pretty immense distance from being able to split continents in half. Once you reach that point there's no way any part of the game is going to be coherent and logical at all.
>>
URGENT

WHERE CAN I GET FIFTH EDITION FOES?! IS IT IN THE MEGA?!
>>
>>52451302
The higher your AC, the better a shield is. Killing enemies sooner doesn't matter if you're also being killed sooner in return.
Granted, if you have good tanking from other characters it's an acceptable tradeoff.

>>52451320
For the 3rd time, the bard's spells overlap in function with his skills (persuasion AND charm person? Why bother?). The rogue (a martial) only has persuasion, but it doesn't overlap with his other features.
>>
>>52451354
Mirage Arcane can split continents in half, in the way that Hercules is said to have done with the Mediterranean.

That's a 7th level spell iirc.
>>
>>52451367
YOU MEAN MM?!
>>
>>52450557
Sounds like your a troll that needs to end themselves.
>>
>>52451375
Why would you take charm person as a bard? Are you sure you know how bards work?
>>
>>52450641
Yes, but that doesn't make GWF good. GWF just gives you a tiny damage boost when you're already using PAM/GWM whatever that you can't do with a shield. But when you use PAM you only get +0.8 or +0.5 damage from GWM.

So you might as well get +1 AC.
Duelling, on the other hand, makes itself worthwhile.
>>
>>52451433
>+0.8 or +0.5 damage from GWM.
Whoops, GWF.
>>
>>52451377
You must be joking. This response doesn't even make sense.

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/spells.html#mirage%20arcane
Try reading the spell description.
>>
>>52451053
Virgo is also associated with the earth, so maybe something that adds resilience.
>>
>>52451464
>The illusion includes audible, visual, tactile, and olfactory elements, so it can turn clear ground into difficult terrain (or vice versa) or otherwise impede movement through the area. Any piece of the illusory terrain (such as a rock or stick) that is removed from the spell's area disappears immediately.

You mean the part where the changes are functionally real and can eliminate matter?
>>
I have a serious dilemma.
I am going to be running Hoard of The Dragon queen soon, but there is a problem:

During chapter 5: One of the random encounters is Giant Frogs.

Unfortunately they have the "Swallow" ability and this is my magical realm, at least 1 of my players is well aware of the vore as a fetish subject.

Should I just remove this from the encounter table? I may be running the risk of coming across as suspiciously awkward or involuntarily popping a boner in all honesty.
>>
>>52451502
Great we now need a continent a mile wide
>>
>>52451502
>Any piece of the illusory terrain (such as a rock or stick) that is removed from the spell's area disappears immediately.
>Any piece of the illusory terrain
>piece of the illusory
You sure?
>>
>>52451502
All that spell can do is effectively turn a square mile into difficult terrain for ten days.
Hell of a lot less impressive that cleaving a continent in half for real.
>>
>>52451103
If a bag of holding is destroyed, it's contents wind up in the Astral Sea. Tell your DM to stop cheating to help the damned bankers.
>>
>>52451502
You are so fucking wrong it's hilarious how wrong you are.
>>
>>52451512
If konosuba gets away with doing that repeatedly, why aren't your players mature enough, huh?
>>
>>52451522
No, you just need to have two continents and put a strait a mile wide between them. You are surely pretending to be retarded.

>>52451549
>>52451539
Except in the spell description it expliticly says you can turn an open field into a crevasse. Don't blame me that the writers are either dum or seeking to enable mythic level shenanigans with wizards.
>>
>>52451512
Is any of the characters Small size (Haflling or gnome)? If not, then it's fine, since Giant Frogs can only use Swallow on Small or smaller targets.
>>
>>52451559
What the fuck is Konosuba?

>>52451572
This is good news, but one of them might be. I am only sure of 1 character at the moment (Dragonborn), and there will be 4 players.
>>
>>52451571
That's like saying you can make someone's quarter disappear than just walking away. It's retarded to consider that splitting a continent
>>
>>52451571
You are aware that the Mediterranean Sea is a lot longer than one mile right?
If I can create a 5-foot crack in the ground does that still count as splitting a continent by your retarded definition?
>>
>>52451367
>>52451379
No, he means a third party book called fifth edition foes. I'm pretty sure it's in the mega, and iirc there's a folder called third party stuff and it's in there.
Beware, I'm pretty sure the given CRs are all absolutely wrong.
>>
>>52451571
>The terrain's general shape remains the same, however.
>>
>>52451601
Boats would be able to sail through it anon. That seems like a functional split to me.

>>52451611
You are aware of the myth being discussed right? The mediterranean sea existed, but was an inland sea in the myth. Hercules pushed africa away from Europe at the pillars of hercules, creating an 8~ mile strait.
>>
>>52451375
>Killing enemies sooner doesn't matter if you're also being killed sooner in return.
This is a silly statement. How are you going to die if everything that can hit you is dead? It feels as if we've come to an impasse. I don't see enough of a mathematical difference to change my opinion that the loss of defense is worth the increase in attack and versatility.

>>52451433
It does make it good? It's not a tiny damage boost? I don't plan on getting PAM with my fighter. Not even sure if I'm gonna grab GWM, and if I do it'll probably be at 10+.
>>
>>52451599
Isekai parody, giant frogs are a running gag after the first encounter.
>>
>>52451393
no i like this thead
>>
>>52451512
Stay sit, fap before game.
>>52451571
>The terrain's general shape remains the same, however.
>... could be made to resemble...
Yes. you are tricked into believing there is a crack on the ground, however, you will not fall.
>>52451625
Oh, sorry then. I'll take a look at it.
>>
>>52451639
The terrain's shape does remain the same, it's just lower than it used to be.
>>
>>52451663
>terrain stays the same
>oh so the terrains shape changes
>>
>>52451661
>Creatures with truesight can see through the illusion to the terrain's true form, however, all other elements of the illusion remain, so while the creature is aware of the illusion's presence, the creature can still physically interact with the illusion.

You can physically interact with the illusion anon. It is functionally real.
>>
>>52451696
It means like trees and shit or if you make it difficult terrain. Not a fucking gorge in the middle of the damn thing
>>
>>52451714
It doesn't specify "not a fucking gorge in the middle of the damn thing" though. Physical interaction with an illusion of a hole would be falling through the hole.
>>
>>52451696
I think it's saying that it can interact with the illusion and the illusion will continue to pretend it's real. Like, the creature with true sight can try to break the fake tree branch and it'll brake-- but there's still no real tree.

If they tried to cross a bridge over a gap made by it, they'd still fall through it.
>>
>>52451737
rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/60008/can-i-get-creatures-stuck-in-the-ground-with-mirage-arcane-illusory-reality
>>
>>52451502
"Vou make terrain in an area up to 1 mile square
look, sound, smell, and even feellike some other sort
of terrain. "
It's illusion magic.

Creatures in the area have their senses fooled into thinking that's how it is, and thus they can't move properly, and thus it's difficult terrain. If they tried to say 'lol, it's just an illusion' and tread through, they'd be overwhelmed and confused by their senses because they can't tell what's real and what's not.

If you fall in the illusionary pool, you don't drown. A creature with truesight would just see you waving your arms around like a madman.
>>
>>52451656
I might as well ask how you're planning on killing anything if you're already dead. You'd only be right against hordes of weak-ass enemies. A boss would down you much quicker.
At the end of the day, what matters is how many hits you expect to be aimed at you.
>>
>>52451777
That guy adds a whole lot in his interpretation that isn't supported by the text at all. A bridge over a gap would not feel "real" if you fell through it. To feel "real", the bridge must be able to support your weight. To support your weight, the illusion is actually changing the terrain somehow.
>>
>>52451656
>Greatsword without PAM and without GWM but with GWF
There is no point to going strength if you're not getting strength related feats.

You would literally be doing more damage with a hand crossbow and crossbow expert than with a greatsword and GWF.
A fucking hand crossbow.
>>
>>52451854
Well it's still not a real bridge.
>>
How do I run a non magical campaign?
>>
>>52451876
Nor is it a "real hole", but you'd still fall through it, and ships could still sail through the straight you created.
>>
>>52451881
fighter class only
add scout from ua for dex-based
>>
>>52451854
Lets go with the spell then.
> A pond can be made to seem like a grassy meadow, a precipice like a gentle slope, or a rock-strewn gully like a wide and smooth road.

Things follow a general shape. You can't split the lands, only making a ditch deeper or the like.
>>
>>52445635
This is pretty cool. Some of these areas sound spooky as hell.
>>
>>52451910
>general shape
>spell somehow thinks turning an open field into a crevasse is following the general shape

Even disregarding the above complaint, you can preserve the general shape of the land by just lowering everything within the spell's area by 100 feet. The exact shape is preserved, and water can flow through.
>>
>>52451809
You'd also down a boss much quicker. You think that the damage increase isn't worth the defense loss. I think it is. We don't have enough math to prove either side over the other due to how situational encounters can be. We should probably just agree to disagree.

>>52451870
Greatsword does not benefit from PAM in any way, shape, or form. I got my levels wrong before, I meant 8+. And a hand crossbow with crossbow expert would not do more damage. It's also a very stupid comparison since it's a feat vs no feat.
>>
>>52451854
Most likely the bridge will crumble as you step on it and you'll fall.

It's basically hallucination. You don't change the world around you by hallucinating, unlike what most potheads say.
>>
>>52451334
Look... People allready hate Mystic for being ''build-your-own-class''.

It's better to make monk archetypes that follow a single theme.

Let's say you make a water element monk.

LvL 3 Flowing water
As a bonus action create a whip of water that deals MA blundt damage and has a 10ft range and lasts until your next turn.
Creatures moving through a 10ft radius around you without using the disengage action provoke attacks of opportunity.

LvL 6 Dance of tides:
As an action you may expend 2 ki to create a water wave attack against target within a 15 ft cone. Targets within the affected space take MA bludgeon damage and must make a STR save contesting your Ki save. On a failed save a target will be forcefully moved 10 ft towards or away from you.

LvL 11 Twisting River Snake
As an action you may spend 4ki to turn into a water elemental in the shape of a snake.
(make up some appropriate stats and abilities like being able to move through tight spaces or being undetectable within water without truesight)
>>
>>52451998
>Look... People allready hate Mystic for being ''build-your-own-class''.

Those people are cancer, and should be disregarded.
>>
>>52451998
>>52452009
True.
The mystic is a more flexible, slightly shittier wizard.
That's why monks and some Warlocks look like shit next to it
>>
>>52451984
PAM is simply better than using a greatsword and uses strength, so that's kind of why it'smentioned.

And, yes, it's feat versus no feat, on a FIGHTER, the class that basically relies on feats and gets a load of extra ASIs. Wait, this was a fighter, wasn't it?

In any case, hand crossbow's damage:

Level 1-4: 7+2xDEX (+2 to hit with archery)
Level 5-10: 10.5+3xDEX (+2 to hit with archery
Level 11+ (nobody cares about level 20): 14+4xDEX (+2 to hit with archery)
GWF Greatsword:
Level 1-4: 8.33+1xSTR
Level 5-10: 16.66+2xSTR
Level 11+: 25+3xSTR

Considering the +2 to archery and being a fighter, CBE hand crossbow will generally be doing more damage.

... But this is completely besides the point. I just had to explain it.

The point is that if you're using strength-based weapondry, you really should get a feat. But, eh, I don't really want to go on because it's just a lot of munchkin calculations and it'll end up being 'Well, I don't want to optimize myself a lot'. In which case, it's not like using a greatsword is terrible. You won't end up like a monk with bad stats. You'll just be pretty lame, when you could be doing much better at your job simply by picking up a feat.
>>
What class, UA included, would I want to be if I like the idea of being a creepy little fucker who almost always covers his face and has weird magic/abilities?
>>
>>52452134
Actually, as a side even less related note, I think hand crossbow+sharpshooter+archery could actually have better damage than GWM+Greatsword+GWF+SavageAttacker.
>>
>>52452155
Long Death Monk/Trickery Cleric

Clones everywhere and if you do get hit you just get back up.
Also fear effects.
>>
>>52452158
No *could* about it, it does.

Hand Crossbow + Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter + Archery Style is optimal Fighter DPR.
>>
>>52451984
I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying that raising the damage on both sides probably benefits nobody, but if it benefits anyone it's the person with more hit points. Thus, good against goblins, bad against ogres.
>>
>>52452261
PAM+GWM+GWF still does more damage.
But, honestly, hand crossbow is more versatile.
>>
>>52452134
Why are you talking about optimizing and taking a feat before you max your first stat in the same post?
>>
>>52452362
>Implying maxing your stat is more important than taking a feat
Ha.
You might actually fool somebody with that one.
>>
Why didn't wizards build drunken master around using patient defense semi-offensively?

Would have been a cool change up to the typically role of monk, encourage people to use that ability more, and let them act as tank more often than they're able to.

Would combo nicely with abilities like the one they proposed for level 6, level 11 is pretty good for dodging someone trying to disable you, and level 17 would make sense as you might be more likely surrounded as you're tanking.

Also, level 6 ability should then for that reason should possibly be a ki-point and not per rest.

Don't know what to change the level 3 ability to. It seems like it sucks. Maybe "when you take patient defense, if an opponent attacks and misses you you can use your reaction to make a single unarmed strike against them."
That way you're encouraged to start being "dodgey" from the get-go and you've got a reaction ability that keys off patient defense without needing another enemy within 5 feet of you.

Thoughts? I know it's still not incredibly compelling but seems more fun to me than what WotC put out.
>>
>>52452387
It's situational. In this situation, I don't see why GWM is better in early game.
>>
>>52452155
Warlock has mask of many faces for constant disguise self, and fey magic can be seen as odd.
>>
Mystic player here. I'm playing an Immortal so at lvl 1 I had 15AC naked, 16 with focus and 18 with focus and Tough Hide.
Should I raise INT to 18 first, put the points into DEX for AC + damage or CON for HP+AC?
>>
>>52452454
I like it, if any of my players go with a drunken monk I'll use this.
>>
File: barbarianoptionslevel5.png (56KB, 707x594px) Image search: [Google]
barbarianoptionslevel5.png
56KB, 707x594px
>>52452470
Here's an example with barbarians at level 5.

With crossbow expert, assuming you don't get it as part of variant human or some other source of feat, it'll look rather like PAM's line (Though not quite as significant).
If you get sharpshooter, it'll look a bit like GWM (Though note you'll have +2 to hit from archery, which means you'll be more towards the right of the graph).

Yes, this is a barbarian with GWM/PAM and not CBE+SS or anything. But it should look fairly similar if I were to go make graphs.

Even though they still only have 16 strength, their damage skyrockets if they can get a good hit chance (And barbarians have reckless attack, so they're more likely to be towards the right of the graph)

Just to clarify, if you take an x co-ordinate on the graph, that's a creature's AC so it's not a case of 'oh, but this guy is more likely to hit', that's already in the calculations. Fuck, I really need to edit that in later instead of 'hit chance for a guy who didn't do jack shit'. Also, I guess if you get no kills / no enemies approach you, them GWM/PAM gets a bit weaker.

Yes, if you go against really high AC enemies, it won't be good, but usually you should have a maybe ~50% hit chance, you might get given +X modifiers or bonuses like bless.

Well, I'm thinking of making a similar graph except for fighter and all the various different things people do on fighter later.
>>
>>52451334
Advantage on attack roll would be easy to abuse for anyone multiclassing with rogue assassin. I'm a shadow monk/rogue and get it for using my level 6 archetype.

Otherwise seems pretty solid, main question is what are the ki costs for each?
>>
>>52452454
I kind of like it but seems like you may run out of reactions quite quickly.
Also, 6th level abilities typically don't require more ki cost (unless you're a wot4e abomination).
I can understand trying to limit it in some way, but I'd elect to have it at will. Why?

Well you'll already be fighting for what will take up your reaction.
If no one is near you, you'll use your 3rd level feature to attack back at them.
If someone is near you, you'll use the 6th level ability. It's also limited to once per round since it takes your reaction so it's hard to really abuse it. It's also inherently more situational than the other abilities.
Don't forget you also have two other abilities (slow fall, and deflect missile) that also use your reaction. And quite possibly an attack of opportunity.

Indeed, this means you would have a total of 5 things that key off of using your reaction.
Not terrible but I'd be interested to see how it plays out, if that'd actually be a concern.

If it were, consider adding something like "you can take two reactions per turn" as part of the intoxicated frenzy capstone. I can't see this being more powerful than open hand's save or die effect.

In fact, as all I can think about is Jackie Chan when I think drunken master, reacting to all sorts of shit your opponent does makes tons of sense to me.
>>
What's the DC on quivering palm?
>>
File: angry 0w0.jpg (33KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
angry 0w0.jpg
33KB, 500x450px
>>52453470
8+Proficiency+WIS Mod
>>
Warlock patron lore question.
If the source of the warlock's power dies, does the warlock lose his power? For example, say I'm playing in a setting where a few demons manage to escape from hell and take control of a couple civilized sites. Say one of those is the demon a warlock made a pact with. If you kill that demon, does the warlock's powers go away? Or is the patron only necessary for acquiring more power, not for maintaining it, meaning you just wouldn't be able to level up anymore?
>>
>>52453645
AFAIK The whole point of a Patron is that a pact is made in exchange for power, and the Patron can take away the warlock's powers if they do not uphold their end of the pact. So it's not unreasonable to say that if your Patron dies you lose your powers as well.

Of course, if you're the DM, you can do whatever you want and say the warlock keeps their powers. But then you'd still have to come up with a reason for the warlock gaining new spells as they level up.
>>
>>52453645
Up to the DM really. You could make it so the patron isn't the one giving the power directly, all it did was open up some sort of power source for the warlock to siphon from
>>
File: baddecisions.png (26KB, 606x212px) Image search: [Google]
baddecisions.png
26KB, 606x212px
Why is this man still employed?
>>
>>52453645
Unironically, depends on the setting.
>>
>>52453645
If your setting allows it, a ritual to draw upon the vestige of the demon and retain your power would be cool.
>>
>>52453913
Only another reason to take dispel magic every time
>>
>>52453752
>>52453777
OK, how about this:

What do you do with the Archfey patron archetype in a setting that doesn't have the D&D concept of 'fey'?
Do you think silly folklore creatures like leprechauns and fairies and pixies could be good surrogates?

Also if one were to have a vampire patron, would you lump in him with necromancers in the Undying category?
>>
>>52445657

First of all, he has a sword. Namely, Shatterspike.
Second of all, he plays dirty. Fudge a crit as a kick between the legs at least once
Third of all, Polymorph. Not only you must cast polymorph to the guy with a sun sword, you must polymorph that guy into a creature of the night, like a wolf, which Strahd lords over
Fourth of all, he's got back up. Wolves, Animated Armors, Barovian Witches, Strahd Zombies, Spawns, Druids, Ghosts, Flesh Golem, swarms of bats. Whatever your heart's content.
He's a Vampire LORD. Play up the LORD.
Fifthly, he has dominated all arts of his servants: He's got the Druid's Wildshape, he's got the Deva's divine smite, he's got lady Wachter's imp familiar, he knows the Vistani Evil Eye curse. All of these things lend themselves well to a battle of Waves
>>
>>52454029
1) Use a unicorn.
2) Yes.
>>
>>52453470
Are you fucking retarded? Do you even play the game?
>>
>>52454029
Fairies and Pixies are already Fey creatures so, yeah, that'd work.
>>
File: Distract And Deciet.pdf (28KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Distract And Deciet.pdf
28KB, 1x1px
So a while back I came here in search of assistance for building a set of paired magic rapiers I have added another form to them since then, anything you guys think I should change or edit?
>>
>>52454007
but then how to you counter the enemy wizard casting disintegrate at you?
>>
File: Paired Distract and Deciet.pdf (28KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Paired Distract and Deciet.pdf
28KB, 1x1px
>>52454095
Paired Forms.
>>
>>52454105
Don't fail the dex save.
>>
>>52454037

Aditionally, Strahd has been picking off adventurers for years. He's picked up a few tricks.

For example, did Strahd go look somewhere after the heroes had been there, looking for them?
Maybe he'll pick up some lost loot.

>"Behold, mortals. This trick, I picked up from that fancy wagon you had the nicety to overlook."
>Uses Scroll of Thunderous Smite
>>
>>52452597
That's where you guys come in, I'm not a numbers guy.
Also I forgot to mention, if you used them like Invocations you could add stuff like 'Substitution Jutsu, requires Shadow Tradition' and so on.
>>
Forest Gnome Rogue

Hide yourself inside your own minor illusion
>>
>>52454343
>Yo dog we heard you like hiding
>So we hid you in an illusion of you hiding in an illusion
>>
>>52454343
I already do this with my lightfoot halfling. Minor illusion allows for 5x5 cubes and typically I just create the illusion of a barrel or rock and hide myself within it.
>>
>>52454406
new thread
>>
>>52445743
Can Usain Bolt survive an Ancient Red Dragon's breath weapon?
Thread posts: 458
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.