[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 34

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Trio of subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf

>Don't forget to take the official survery on Theurgy and War Magic
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>52417649

What's the best adventure in Tales from the Yawning Portal?
>>
does the psi point progression on the mystic feel really weird? like it stays the same for a really long time in some spots
>>
File: 1447848619426.jpg (186KB, 651x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1447848619426.jpg
186KB, 651x1024px
>>52424500
>>
>>52424500
White Plume.
>>
>>52424500
>Trio of subclasses

Still gonna call them "kits".

>What's the best adventure in Tales from the Yawning Portal?

I'll let you know when I get it on the 10th, according to Amazon. But the one I'm looking forward to the most is either Tomb of Horrors or Against the Giants.
>>
File: 1490597123126.jpg (2MB, 1100x1625px) Image search: [Google]
1490597123126.jpg
2MB, 1100x1625px
>>52424500
I love the Mesoamerican theme in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. That alone makes it my favorite so far.

>>52424546
It's in the trove if you want to take a look before your book arrives.
>>
>>52424606
>It's in the trove if you want to take a look before your book arrives.

Ahhh, delicious. Thanks, Anon, I'd missed that.

Now if only a certain other RPG could have its core rulebook scanned and uploaded somewhere where I could find it. A certain RPG that is not d20 related, but which is related to a Hasbro property.

And pertains to equines.
>>
New to DnD and have been looking around at classes. I've been interested in a monk/warlock multi-class focusing around hex.
Does anyone have any advice around the best way to do this?
Was thinking about potentially doing shadow monk and playing off of that.
But honestly I'm open to any suggestions.
>>
>>52424686
>variant human
>magic initiate warlock for hex
>lvl1-end of game monk
>????
>profit
>>
Is the Revised Ranger Beast Master OP? My friend went autistic on another player that I allowed to use the class (with the caveat that I would be nerfing it as I see fit) and was trying to say the average dps for it was greater than rogues and barbs and w/e
>>
>>52424762
No, it's not OP. In fact, it's important to give the beast magical attacks at some point so they're not fucked over in combat.
>>
>>52424762
>greater than rogues and barbs and w/e
>greater damage than Sneak Attack: The Class and Rage: The Class
Haven't run the numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me.
>>
>>52424686

Shadow Monk 6 with Warlock 2 for Devil's Sight + Armor of Shadows (if WIS <3) works, or Warlock 3 if you want Darkness on your spell list to save on Ki.

After that either go Monk again or multiclass into Rogue.
>>
File: 1490155621808.png (36KB, 459x459px) Image search: [Google]
1490155621808.png
36KB, 459x459px
New player here, first campaign:
My DM just threw some kind of dragon with necrotic breath and immunity to like all damage accept radiant. We managed to kill it but the DM says all of the gold has been "tainted by necrotic force where the dragon laid in it". Is there any way to cleanse this gold as a lvl 10 war cleric?

Also, been lurking for a while but am having trouble finding the 5e greentext funny story threads. What should I search for in the catalog? I know it's a dumb question so I decided to tack into something more meaningful.
>>
>>52424845
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>52424776
I thought about moving coordinated attack to level 11 and dropping the other two abilities down respectively so that the Beast Master gets three attacks at the same time the Fighter gets 3 attacks, removing the advantage on anyone who hasn't had a turn in combat, and restricting the humanoid favored enemy to 6 humanoids (in line with the PHB Ranger who maxes at 6 humanoids).

Eventually the other player just gave up on his character and is going to roll a new one. I'm prob gonna have the Beast Master be a mid to late level boss
>>
>>52424762
Checking that specific metric would take math, so fuck that.

Even if it was higher, its hardly relevant unless its a statistical outlier by a significant margin.
>>
File: vomit dark souls.jpg (154KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
vomit dark souls.jpg
154KB, 621x621px
>>52424870
Given all that, I would give up on the character, too.
>>
File: 1473224974063.jpg (367KB, 1024x1737px) Image search: [Google]
1473224974063.jpg
367KB, 1024x1737px
by some happenstance I am DMing a party of 10 people. That last session was a total slog as I was'nt quite sure how to navigate this knew challenge.

any quick tips/hacks?

also, I have a pretty plot heavy game, how can I best incorporate new players?
>>
>>52424762
Well yeah it is better. If either of them gets taken out thought they're both shit.

The whole idea is it combines two weak characters into a strong character, the Beast is the main damage dealer and the Ranger supports it.

It's strong but sure as shit isn't OP compared to other characters. Even with proficiency the pets Mental Saves will be pretty trash.
>>
>>52424924
Split into two groups. I've tried to run an 8 player game before, and it was insane.
>>
>>52424845
>We managed to kill it but the DM says all of the gold has been "tainted by necrotic force where the dragon laid in it"

This means your DM is an ass and probably didn't expect you to kill it/doesn't want you to get that gold
>>
>>52424524
>muh feelings

Try again with logic, princess.
>>
Still need DM version TftYP digital maps
>>
>>52424924
Split into 2 groups of 5.

If you can't, then make sure everyone is taking quick turns. Anyone who can't declare an action, have the dice handy, and then give you a result within a few seconds of their round gets skipped. They get to go last. If they still can't decide, they skip their turn.
>>
>>52424988
You'll have to make do with consulting the book and putting down markings where appropriate. The only reason the player maps got put up so fast is because they're ripped all at once from Roll20.
>>
>>52424963
DM is an idiot. Party of level 10's are dangerous and can kill most dragons
>>
>>52424873
Well the point is the companion gets prof bonus on attack, damage, and AC so it would top off at +10 attack, +10 damage, and 20+ AC. Under the assumption it can't get magic items that compares to a character who with a +3 weapon could get +13 attack and +8 damage (not counting bonus elemental damage). Plus it uses a reaction for the second attack. I guess the closest comparisons are an Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster (Gish classes like Ranger). Eldritch Knight gets 4 attacks and Arcane Trickster gets a max of two plus sneak attack damage. The companion is effectively an entire extra health pool with two decently strong attacks.

>>52424892
I don't think it's much to set the third attack at the same rate as other classes with three attacks. Getting bonuses to ALL humanoids seems game breaking. The Ambuscade seems too much, advantage on initiative seems good enough. Maybe give the rest of the ambuscade as a capstone.
>>
So Beastmaaster. What's the best build?

Flying creature with me using a bow.
Damage dealing creature with me going Sentinel for defending it.
Or me as a Kobold riding around on a creature dual-wielding shortswords.
>>
>>52424945
Companion gets advantage on all saves at level 7
>>
>>52424963
Yeah 4 of us rolled the same number on d10s. So he had to summon the closest thing which was the boss. So we had him trapped out of his lair in a small corridor on his way back to his gold pile. I popped spirit guardians and when he exploded into shadows to escape, my guardians completely exterminated them. Any idea what kind of dragon this is? He's not totally unfair, if I do the research and come up with something plausible I could probably convince him to let me fix the gold. One thought I had was to completely melt it down and reform it.
>>
>>52425054
>revised ranger
>ambuscade
????????
>>
>>52424945
Also the companion will have a similar AC, HP, and possibly better saving throws than the Ranger but can't really die for long
>>
>>52425078
You could try going on a quest to a great temple so you could consecrate the gold.
>>
>>52425069
So it does. I think if anything I'd remove that.

Also with the Ranger down I'd treat the animal as... well an animal like it says. If it's a melee Ranger they will most likely take more hits then a dog or whatever, so if they ever get dropped or hit with a condition that takes him out for even a single round I'm taking the animals turn. It'll most likely attack the closest enemy flatout.

>>52425109
One thing to keep in mind is the Ranger most likely is doing 1d8+5 damage a round. They lose a lot for going Beastmaster but yes I'd rank it in the top 10 class options for sure.
>>
>>52425151
You mean 1d8+1d6+5 right? Hunters Mark and all.
>>
>>52425098
Revised Ranger gets advantage on initiative rolls and the get advantage on attacks during your first turn against anyone who hasn't had a turn yet. Anything I looked at described it as ambuscade.
>>
>>52425163
I'd be concentrating on Spike Growth, Silence or any number of things. Hunter's Mark just ain't worth it latter on with only one attack.

Thank god the pet doesn't get hunter's mark damage though.
>>
>>52425165
Ambuscade was a specific feature on the first ranger revision attempt, a 5-level class that was a large departure from the PHB ranger. It's often called the ambuscade ranger just because of how nuts that feature was.
>>
>>52425165
Advantage on the first round for attacks should be delayed I reckon. Maybe add it onto the Hide in Plain sight at level 10?
>>
>>52425198
Link to the PDF that contained it?
>>
File: UA Ranger.pdf (80KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA Ranger.pdf
80KB, 1x1px
>>52425226
>>
I plan on making a ranger that uses magic. I was able to pump my dexterity to 19 but I want the feat Ritual Caster. Is it worth dropping my dexterity to 17 in order to pick up some minor spells?
>>
>>52425151
Seems cleaner to just remove their proficiency on saves so that you don't have to replace a full conclave level ability. Thought about removing proficiency bonus on damage but that simply keeps the companion level with people getting magic items.

Honestly it was all very annoying because I came up with an interesting quest involving the character helping a Fey demigod on a hunt and being rewarded with a blink dog companion and the player actually drew art for his character
>>
People can talk about the balance all they want. In my next game I'm playing a Firbolg with a Giant Rat as my companion and no one can stop me from loving him.
>>
>>52425198
Ah, now the terminology makes sense

>>52425224
I would move it to the capstone just for the sake of simplicity. The way I had it drawn up for revision was
3: Animal Companion
5: Beast's Defense
7: Storm of Claws and Fangs
11: Coordinated Attack
15: Superior Beast's Defense
Then add the first round advantage at 18 or at 20
>>
>>52424542
Think I agree, but they're all pretty close
>>
>>52425309
Good Revision. From a player's perspective I like it the way it is, but your revision is good enough that I wouldn't feel like I'm being cheated out of anything.
>>
>>52424686
It's really not worth it.
You need 13 charisma.
You can't take advantage of agonizing+repelling blast properly.
You lose ki, which means less stunning strikes.
Hex is concentration. Monks are in some of the easiest positions to lose concentration.
Hex is a bonus action every time you move it. You're attacking less.
It's hard to justify the character. What sort of a wise monk goes around making pacts when they have ki?

Ultimately you're selling out just so you can get some weird devil's sight gimmick, and... You know, it's not entirely a terrible idea.
You get devil's sight and various temporary HP sources. That's about it, but that could be worth two levels.
Just don't expect anything much more than devil's sight and temporary HP, in exchange for 2 ki for less stuns (you'll be worse at your role as amonk) along with delayed progression (Eventually, there are some powerful monk features).

Do it if the character concept sounds fun, I guess.
>>
>>52425232
If your party has a wizard, no. The wizard can do it all as rituals already from his book.
Otherwise, maybe.
>>
>>52425374
Yeah, I know I don't need it. But I want to be an Arrow Wizard.
>>
>>52425336
Honestly I didn't even realize the revised Beast Master allows two attacks at level 3 when I greenlit the class proactively. I immediately suggested pushing back coordinated attack to make it comparable to the Fighter's third attack (lvl 11). As DM I care less about balance and RAW as I do about my players having fun which is why for the friend who complained I had already greenlit UA stuff like the Mariner Fighting Style and him making a dagger bandelier that could apply poisons so I was 90% good with the revised ranger as written also
>>
>>52424686
I guess you'd go for a damage focused build with that rather then Control like monks are made for. Dump Wisdom and use the Warlocks Armour of Shadows and max Dex asap.

Use all Ki to land 4 punches dealing Greatsword damage.

Alternatively, go Kensai so you don't need to use your bonus action as much. Put curses on people and hit for 3d6+10+DEX damage with GWM.
>>
>>52425408
Kensai and Hexblade Warlock seem like they could work together.
>>
>>52425423
I'm feeling that as well. Personally, I'd do 3 monk/X Hexblade just for some defence and the ability to use Cursebringer with Dex.
>>
so whens the new source book coming out
>>
Wait so does Curserbringer reduce the target speed every time you hit them, or only if you Smite? I thought it was only on Smite but now I'm not sure.
>>
>>52425056
>>
>>52425517
Only when you smite them.

>>52425465
Be mindful this will delay your Extra Attack until level 8, your Armor of Hexes till 13. Still, Cursebringer is strong and great flavor with Kensai, so there's that.
>>
>>52424762
>dps
this isn't a video game faggot
>>
I want to play a CN Fey.

Are there any resources on fey PCs beyond like 2 paragraphs in the DMG?
>>
>>52425580
Duh, but try explaining the three pillars to a min/maxing powergaming player
>>
>>52425609
There is the Firbolg from Volo's.
>>
>>52425621
>three pillars
GNS?
>>
File: 1467357774896.jpg (166KB, 1024x1325px) Image search: [Google]
1467357774896.jpg
166KB, 1024x1325px
Can an elf and an orc have a child? Or are they too different biologically
>>
>>52425621
Explain the way to the exit to them
>>
>>52425632
I've read some foreign comics that say yes
>>
>>52425632
Depends on the setting
>>
>>52425632
It will be a Half-Orc.
>>
>>52425629
I.. don't think that's what I mean.

Is there anything else for fey in general?
>>
>>52425632
you can refluff a half-elf/orc whichever might suit you
>>
>>52425631
I dunno what GNS is. I was referencing Social/Exploration/Combat. Even if Beast Master had better combat potential than a Rogue (which isn't true at high level) the Rogue has much better social potential by the numbers. They both have similar exploration potential.
>>
>>52424762
>Dealing more damage than rogues

Wow

How terrible
It's not like every martial aside from monk does more damage or anything.

Also, were they accounting that barbarian can give themself advantage and use GWM+PAM?
>>
So does Stone Sorcerer pretty much come down to spam Quickened and Twinned BB/GFB, Shield and either Haste or Elemental Weapon?

Seems like I'll have a lot of spell choice I can use for Utility.
>>
>>52425729
Oh. GNS is Gamist Narrativist Simulationist
>>
>>52425737
Take two levels of paladin.
>>
>>52425787
I'm allowed to use the spell point variant in exchange for the deal I wouldn't dip anything. My DM counts taking less then 4 levels as a dip and I'm not giving up 4 levels of delaying my better buff spells.
>>
File: College of Whispers.jpg (133KB, 670x490px) Image search: [Google]
College of Whispers.jpg
133KB, 670x490px
Is it worth taking 3 levels in rogue to get assassinate and poison kit proficiency as a College of Whispers Bard. I wan't to be more effective in combat (and the fact that I don't have poison use for a spy type character is weird). or do straight bard spells make up for it?
>>
>>52425736
Not really. He was using pretty basic math which is where that class shines because of the raw numbers due to 3 attacks, two of which get a proficiency bonus to damage. It falls apart a bit once you include magic weapons and other abilities. Part of the reason he sperged out was we question PAM on one of his characters because ot makes no sense to get 10 ft reach the spin the weapon around to get a haft attack at 10ft reach. Makes even less sense that he was making these attacks through a friendly unit's square. The DM ruled against him even though we were't asking for a rule change but more brought it up as a confusing concept
>>
>>52425833
Honestly do you want to be a Whisper Bard, a stealthy caster or an Spy/Assassin?

If you want to be a Whisper Bard then the dip is worth it, a stealthy caster shouldn't dip it and an Assassin/Spy should just be a Changeling Assassin with your Sneak Attack damage reflavored as poisons except for the rare times you actually buy some.
>>
>>52425809
Why the hell would you use the Spell Points system on a Sorcerer?
>>
>>52425869
Because one of the key parts of a widely suggested fix is to make Sorcerer's Spell point and combine it with their Sorcery Points. Let's them blow a big load if needed, play all day long with little spells and use meta magic more freely.

Their whole fluff is about being a well of untrained magic, makes more sense when they're given a playground of Magic to use how they want. Also makes them feel dramatically different then a Wizard.

Also means I don't need to spend a bonus action to convert slots and stuff.
>>
>>52425899
>Let's them blow a big load if needed
>a big load

For you
>>
>>52425835
>makes no sense to get 10 ft reach the spin the weapon around to get a haft attack at 10ft reach. Makes even less sense that he was making these attacks through a friendly unit's square.

It makes no sense to fire 8 arrows in 6 seconds but fighters can do it without any feats. The system abstracts supernatural levels of prowess, and you shouldn't change the rules on the fly to apply reasonings like "I can't visualize myself physically doing that therefore it shouldn't be possible in this magic fantasy world."
>>
>>52425835
Personally we had the same issue come up with a Ranger using a whip. I let it fly because if he's getting attacked by a swarm then any damage spell will do the same thing.

Polearm I'd be iffy about, but I'd allow it with the exception they can't GWM -5 attack for +10 damage on it.
>>
>>52425835
Get back to juggling a mouse on a wrist strap to determine the amount of free actions someone can take, bonehead.
>>
>>52425899
The default spell points method still limits you to a single 6-7-8-9 slot, just so you are aware.

Personally, i use combined spell/sorcery points, and mimic warlock 6+ spell progression, and allow sorcerers to upcast into 6+ slots as they choose once able.
>>
>>52425960
Yeah, I don't particularly mind that one this character. I'm really just going for a BB/GFB spam machine with buff spells. Only a few upper level spells I'd consider taking anyway.

On a real Sorcerer your fix is most likely a good choice though.
>>
>>52425921
Except it is possible to fire 8 arrows in 6 seconds. I guess it is possible to flip a polearm too but it's incredibly awkward. Regardless, the point was we didn't even suggest a rule change outside of not being able to use the haft attack through someone else's square which is indeed impossible
>>
File: LsvEIAj.png (45KB, 489x301px) Image search: [Google]
LsvEIAj.png
45KB, 489x301px
>>52425955
Oh brother, I was there. This is was the moment I did a double-take and quit Pathfinder.
>>
>>52425859
I'm not sure. he's more jaqen h'ghar than little finger but he is a manipulator diplomancer type based on the stats he already has.
+sneak attack on fear spells
+poison use
+assassinate in non combat

- skill/proficiency overlap
- 1 6th and 7th level spell
- no bard capstone
>>
>>52425978
What. The. Fuck. I mean I know I'm a person with a biased outlook, but isn't this animal cruelty? The way he describes it... Doesn't sound nice at all.
>>
File: 1481052104078.jpg (69KB, 609x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481052104078.jpg
69KB, 609x720px
>>52425992
>>
>>52424500
honestly thought this was a joke photoshop that went over my head at first
>>
>>52425869
Different guy. I prefer the flexibility. It means I can use shield or thunderous smite more times a day without dipping into higher level spell slots. Or blow it all on fireballs if I want to.

Are there any drawbacks I'm not seeing?
>>
>>52425978
For the record this was a joke post.

Doesn't make the actual truth of PF devs' insane ideas of what "balance" and "realism" are, though.
>>
>>52425996
Well shit I am apparently.
>>
For Prestidigitation, it says it has a duration of 1 hour. Does that mean that if I use it to light a fire, the fire will go out after 1 hour?

Also, is it possible to spread said fire? Say, if I lit a torch, then threw it into grease or some similar flammable substance, could that ignite the substance?

Gimme creative ideas for that and Minor Illusion please
>>
>>52425943
PAM seems GM dependent to me since the haft attack doesn't specify reach and logically GWM assumes you are using the weapon as intended
>>
>>52426033
Make a character that's 5ft tall and then you can create an illusory wall to hide from sight. You know it's an illusion, so you can see through it, but enemies won't be able to tell until either
1- they waste their action investigating
Or 2- they see you attack through it
This allows you to buy time while you drink a potion, cast a buff, etc

You'll need to be shorter than 5ft if you like wearing hats
>>
>>52425725
Just reskin a goblin, kobold, elf, halfling, or gnome
>>
>>52426035
It's an attack. With the weapon.

The only thing the feat specifies mechanically is that the die is changed to d4 and the damage type to bludgeoning.

You're going down the slippery road where you further dictate you can't use the bonus action attack with a quarterstaff unless it's held in two weapons, and then at the end the feat is only useful to casters.
>>
File: nativeamericans2.gif (783KB, 194x338px) Image search: [Google]
nativeamericans2.gif
783KB, 194x338px
>>52425978
>let me perform a reacharound to determine how long it takes to turn a doorknob
>>
>>52426090
DMing as a whole is a slippery slope. I generally rule based on fun so I'd likely allow it anyway. It is more of a thought excercise. I do try to avoid allowing things simply so powergamers can get their rocks off by min/maxing damage
>>
>>52426016
It was precisely the fact that I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.
>>
>>52426133
Min/maxing damage is the problem?

Be happy they are having their fun aiming for bigger numbers and mix and matching various abilities, sometimes not obvious at a glance, for synergistic effects, instead of playing wizards and thus forcing you to go through the spell list pre-emptively vetoing spells that would break questlines or even the entire campaign narrative over their knee.
>>
Playing Storm King's Thunder in an Adventure League game. I'm playing a half-elf monk, and considering multiclassing into an Archfey Warlock. We just got to level 3 and I'll be taking the Path of Shadows, and want to go Warlock for ranged attack and self-buff options. Should I reconsider? Any general advice?
>>
If me and my players want to do a campaign where we are allowed homebrew classes and shit, what's a good resource for those? Cause my players pointed to dandwiki and I was told that place is a big no-no for homebrew. I'm looking for content that's, well, homebrew but at the same time it's not too ridiculous from the what I've seen and heard in the dandwiki. Are the UAs pretty much what I'm looking for?
>>
>>52425632
The offspring of an orc and something else will be orcs, half orcs... or I guess, aasimar or tieflings.
>>
>>52426178
Also, the game goes up to 11th level and the most I want from Monk is 6 levels, in case that helps.
>>
>>52426182
Just use UAs. God knows they are imbalanced enough, but they make an effort of following the game's design logic in some fashion.
>>
>>52424924
>I am DMing a party of 10 people

don't
>>
>>52426177
>they
It's just 1 out of 4 powergaming. Of it was everyone I wouldn'r care. I just don't want everyone else getting bored because one guy is abusing systems to make the rest of the party seem vestigial
>>
>>52426178
What are your stats? Because Armor of Shadows might be a better pick than EB+AB since you can just use your DEX to fire a Shortbow.
>>
File: 1488824395067.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1488824395067.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>52426182
>If me and my players want to do a campaign where we are allowed homebrew classes and shit, what's a good resource for those?

Why the fuck would you ever? The main reason to use homebrew is for broken classes ya dingus.

You know what nevermind good luck
>>
>>52426182
Just reskin monsters or homebrew changes to existing classes. Adapt prestige classes from prior editions. Otherwise ask them to submit class ideas over the course of a month and compare them to PHB classes for comparison. Also always reserve the right to balance as needed in game.
>>
>>52426033
G R E A S E

I S

N O T

F L A M M A B L E
>>
>>52426211

Sounds like the UA it is then.

>>52426277

Noted on this, thanks.

>>52426256

Our intent is to have a side campaign where we have all these homebrew/UA shit cause we're already 1.5 year into our main one and some want to try something new for once esp since the main campaign rules only core book options. So why not the other end of the spectrum? Chill, dude.
>>
>>52426250
10 16 12 10 14 14
I see your point, though I'd like a higher damage die for ranged attacks, and was hoping to increase short-range damage with GFB unless I can't get my bonus unarmed strike with it. Granted I'm not entirely married/devoted to Warlock so if you think Sorcerer would be comparatively better then I could go that way. Also since it's AL I can't use Unearthed Arcana, so no Hexbladelock unfortunately.
>>
>>52426225
Given 5e's limitations, if a min/maxer (which is, what, taking two feats and a big weapon, really?) is doing dramatically more damage than other damage-focused classes, then the others must be doing something fundamentally wrong, like a dual-wielding DEX barbarian, or a Warlock without Hex or Eldritch Blast invocations, or a Rogue not using sneak attack properly.
>>
>>52426033
>>52426298

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/24/is-the-grease-from-the-grease-spell-flammable/

Bottom line: RAW, it's not but it's okay if the DM is okay with it.
>>
>>52426324
Like I said, I don't care much. I can always remove the optional feats rule
>>
File: All Smiles.jpg (116KB, 379x568px) Image search: [Google]
All Smiles.jpg
116KB, 379x568px
>>52426298
>>52426334
Actually, I meant mundane grease and was planning on asking about the spell Grease later. Thanks for clearing that up ahead of time.
That still doesn't answer the main question though.
>>
>>52426220
i shouldve said nah
>>
>>52426321
At Monk 6 your attack action will be doing 2d6+8 or 2d8+8 if you use a quarterstaff.

With GFB that's 2d8+6 and additional 1d8+2 to an adjacent target. It's a small increase if you can nab a second foe.

But if you have Hex up, then attacking normally becomes much better.

Either way, the big selling points for Shadow Monk + Warlock is gaining Devil's Sight and Hex. 6 in one, 2 in the other, and after that I'd just go Rogue for full ninja.
>>
File: 1449102274988.png (3KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
1449102274988.png
3KB, 416x416px
Actually, can any of the more experienced people here give me the basic shimmy on how to play an effective Wizard? I don't mean powergaming, I just don't want to saddle myself with a whole bunch of shit I'll never have a use for and then die.
>>
>>52425725
Take a gnome. Replace int with cha. Replace gnome cunning with fey ancestry from elf. Rest is the same, or doesn't matter.
Brownie: +1 dex, proficiency with short bows and short swords, a cantrip from the druid list
Pixie: +1 wis, fly 25 feet, and... I don't know, faerie fire? Friends with animals? In fact, now that I think about it, there's the sample list of alternate races in the DMG and there's probably some fey stuff in there, go take a look.
>>
>>52426455
Forcecage any apes you see.
>>
>>52426385
If you remove feats you take away the ability of Figthers, Barbarians and Rangers to remain relevant past level 7, plus a tight squeeze on the Rogue's nads for good measure.
>>
>>52426504
Nuh uh, you can't force cage the ape because he never really turned into one.
>>
>>52426487
Nevermind that last part actually, I went and looked myself and the table I was thinking of was not a table for what I thought. The point is, though, it's not hard to change races up so talk to your DM.
>>
>>52426455
Make sure you pick cantrips you like, because you can't change them. (you get a lot to pick, though, so this is hard to get wrong - just pick fire bolt as a standby and anything else, you'll be fine)

Magic Missile doesn't need to roll to hit, and hits many times, so it's the best way to shut down enemy casters' concentration.

Witch bolt is rubbish, never take it.

Remember you can cast spells with (ritual) in their cast time even if they're not prepared, as long as they're in your spell book.

Illusionist, Diviner, and Transmuter are the best schools, but every one is good.

Your best strength is battlefield control, so don't neglect spells with buffs, debuffs, and battlefield effects like fog cloud and grease in favour of damage. Everyone can deal damage, so don't feel like you need to concentrate on damage over cool effects.
>>
>>52424500
Does anyone else build deity level characters?
>>
>>52426455
Play anything except a Necromancer unless you ask each person if they mind being over shadowed by your 40 extra turns and undead army.

Also Evoker is decent in the situations you need it but pretty lame out of those. You gotta Fireball a lot of things or kill one guy quick with a Magic Missile and you will wish you were an Evoker.
>>
>>52426557
Magic Missile is a single concentration check, it is a single instant of damage multiplied by the number of missiles on a target, it's also why a single die roll is used.
>>
File: 1459473288029.jpg (48KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1459473288029.jpg
48KB, 500x374px
>>52426594
Don't listen to this man, he's trying to destabilise the magic missile /shield /counterspell metagame of wizard on wizard duels
>>
>>52426594
Yeah he's wrong but it's still likely more damage then they can save against. So it's pretty good for disrupting them.
>>
>>52426588
>40 extra turns
Well, you should be having your minions of a single type all going on a single turn. Just gotta learn how to expedite those rolls. Remember your skeleton's to-hit, then roll all the attack rolls at once, count the hits, then roll all the damage at once.
>>
>>52426557
>>52426588
Thanks lads. I'm leaning towards Diviner or Illusionist at the moment, because the campaign I'm building this for is gonna be more story-focused instead of a dungeon crawl (though there will be combat). I have a lot of utility so far, but my only damage spells are Magic Missile and Fire Bolt.

What's the point of preparing Ritual spells, if you even can?

Why are Illusionist, Diviner, and Transmuter considered good?

I'm not really considering Necromancy because my character is Good-aligned.
>>
>>52426611
Magic Missile isn't particularly likely to deal more than 20 damage, which is the only time the DC increases.
>>
>>52425632
Depends on the setting, but generally no. Humans are capable of breeding with most things though.

>>52425643
Take your weeaboo nigger rape fantasies to /pfg/.
>>
>>52426455
(PHB) Wizards don't really powergame, their power lies in versatility without really sacrificing anything.

Abjuration, Divination and Evocation are all pretty straightforward schools.

Abjuration helps tanking with the Arcane Ward (which you can project on allies at level 6) and stacks with Temp HP, so it makes for pretty beefy Wizzards.

Evocation straight up deals better and more damage, so you can contribute to party DPR when needed; good area of effect damage is hard for most classes, but an Evoker gets the tools and is good at them.

Divination gives you Portent. Read it. This ability is stupid good. Rolled low? Bam, now you can make sure an enemy will always fail a save you really want them to. Rolled high? The attack, save or skill check you want will connect when needed.

After schools comes the matter of picking spells. This is a fairly complex matter given the breadth of spell access Wizards have, but the rule of thumb is to have a couple concentration spells that you will almost always want to keep up in combat, buffs that don't require concentration, plus a couple more situational or damage spells that are useful to cast during combat, and the rest you fill rituals so you don't spend spell slots. For your disables keep a repertoire that target different saves.

And if you're worried about dying, take a level in cleric for Shield+Armor proficiency, plus you get the always useful cantrip Guidance and the best early buff spell Bless.
>>
>>52425632
>applying genetics to fairies born of a gay tranny god's AIDS blood
>>
>>52426615
Yeah I know. Still you can't deny that skeletons ruin the game unless everyone is on board with it. The amount of shit you have to go through with an army following is just too much.

>>52426624
Sorry I was thinking of my character, an Evoker. Higher level casts are still good for it in an oh shit moment.

>>52426619
Illusion's considered as powerful as your DM is weak willed. There's a lot of bullshit you can pull off RAW and most of it isn't too extreme, but some it.

Diviner can force people to fail saves and instawin against bosses so it's become a meme. It is good though.

Personally not a fan of Transmuter but it is pretty good just because all those little benefits are good and having the ability to adapt makes that handy.

My personal Favorite is Enchantment for the level 2 charm and the ability to stop peoples attacks at you. Plus Enchantment has the best spells and I like having my school match my most commonly used spells.
>>
I remember the 3.5 DMG had benchmarks for how a party of four could expect to do against various challenge ratings, like Level+0 will take spells but not be too bad, Level+2 is probably gonna need a rest after, Level+5 is oh shit territory, etc.

Does anybody have guidelines like this for 5e?

What about suggestions for under-level CRs. Like how many CR-1 is an appropriate challenge? How many CR-2?
>>
>>52426619
>story based
Diviner might be good. People meme about a halfling diviner with the lucky feat because you end up with something like 6 re-rolls a day, 7 if you get some inspiration so your character will get to stick around and get those sweet story beats. You might also get to magic up some tips from your DM to keep the tale going.
>What's the point of preparing Ritual spells, if you even can?
Don't have to prepare them, check out the section about ritual casting in the spellcasting section.
>Why are Illusionist, Diviner, and Transmuter considered good?
Diviner as detailed above, the other two I don't see people talk about much. I'd take that to mean there's not much to cheese there, though I see people try to cheese illusions.
>>
>>52426665
>There's a lot of bullshit you can pull off RAW

>>52426694
>I see people try to cheese illusions.

How so?
>>
>>52426693
Check the DMG page 82.
>>
>>52426619
Transmuter is considered good mainly because you can give yourself proficiency in Con saves with your stone
>>
>>52426718
Dunno, I don't usually pay much attention, but it seems to amount to "if I do THIS with my illusion, do you think my DM will let me have THIS effect?" Like try to illusion up a flashbang grenade or some shit.
>>
File: confusedwizard.jpg (46KB, 435x571px) Image search: [Google]
confusedwizard.jpg
46KB, 435x571px
>>52426455
the treantmonk wizard 5e guide (google it) does a pretty good wizard breakdown, and a VERY good spell selection breakdown, i'd follow that
>>
Bit late to the party. Consensus on new UA? New Paladin and Monk look cool, haven't taken a decent look at the new Ranger archetype yet

Got an idea for a half orc Redeption Paladin that uses a quarterstaff refluffed as a shovel
>>
File: 1435357308089.png (374KB, 800x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1435357308089.png
374KB, 800x1082px
>>52426760
Treantmonks 5e wizard guide isn't good. His preferred playstyle is one Wizards aren't particularly good at (Bards, Sorcerers and Clerics are all better buffers), and firing off group save-or-sucks is the bulk of crowd control capability in 5e.

He even admits that blasting is better in 5e compared to his 3.PF base reference, but he doesn't actually provide any pointers on how to do it because it's just not how he plays.
>>
>>52426808
Not him but if you have anything better I'd love to see it. A great big handholding guide is just what I need.
>>
>>52426808
Treantmonk's build is kinda shit yeah but I mostly agree with his spell selection. At worst all it'll do is highlight some underrated spells that newbies might pass up because it doesn't do damage
>>
File: 1481068205284.jpg (68KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481068205284.jpg
68KB, 400x400px
>>52426902
plus I think his analysis on the classes is correct in terms of power level, that Divination and Illusion are two of the strongest.
>>
Should Time Stop give a guaranteed crit? Since you have the perfect opportunity to line up a strike exactly how you want.
>>
>>52426928
If you want to attack someone, probably, considering it's essentially them being paralyzed. But once you do the time stop immediately ends.
>>
>>52426928
Can you even attack someone under Time Stop?
>>
>>52426993
Yes, but doing so ends it.
>>
>>52426619
You can prepare ritual spells, and it's purely to give you the option of casting them more quickly, if you don't think you'll have the ten minutes plus to spare, preparing the spell is the way to go! (you will still, however, have to spend a spell slot, so it's sometimes best to still cast a prepared ritual as a ritual to remove that cost)
>>
What makes High Elves, High Elves? Where did the name come from? What does it imply? Do they think themselves higher than others, maybe others think of them higher than they do themselves? Are they literally higher, living in tall towers and cities atop mountain peaks? Are they really only taller?
>>
what's the ruling on 5e shatterspike breaking weapons and armor on hit?

like how Black Puddings work. 5 damage destroys a weapon, 10 damage destroys armor
>>
>>52427174
I imagine they're high elves because of their power and relative civilization. They're also not Drow, who live underground.
>>
>>52424845
>tainted by necrotic force

Buy stuff from liches, they won't give no shits about necrotic gold.
>>
>>52425725
Play an Elf you limpdick.
>>
>>52424924
Jeez, 10 people? My table is forced to pick up newbies as it's a meetup event and people have to get slotted in, but we go to a maximum of 8 and even that is hellish. We also work with XP, so newbies steal most of it and then don't come back.

Disclaimer: I'm not the DM.
>>
>>52425632
No.
Thankfully not.
Orcs are incapable of breeding with most fey.
>>
>>52426928
Time Stop is so grossly underpowered it's unreal.
>>
>>52425609
Pixies, sprites, satyrs, probably a few more are all in the Monster Manual and have a fair bit of fluff to go with them.

Elves are technically fey as well. Technically. Combine bits and pieces from both. If you want mechanics, you're on your own.
>>
>>52427259
That's because if you used it like you might imagine it could be used it'd be so grossly overpowered it's unreal
Also, realistically, if you stopped time except for yourself you'd die just about instantly because you can't breathe.
>>
>>52427299
>Also, realistically, if you stopped time except for yourself you'd die just about instantly because you can't breathe.
Anon, it's called magic.
>>
>>52427307
Time Stop stops time, it doesn't do anything else. You'd also explode from literally infinite frictional force if you move.
>>
>>52427208
>I imagine they're high elves because of their power and relative civilization.

What power? It's implied that High Elves are more magical than their cousins the Wood Elves, since all of them have learned to use atleast one cantrip. Civilization is a weird one because nothing suggests the kind or structure of civilization they have.

>They're also not Drow, who live underground.

Does that make Wood Elves high? If Drow are the opposite of High Elves, should't they be Low Elves or Deep Elves rather than Dark Elves?
>>
>>52427316
Anon, it's called magic.
>>
>>52427318
Well first off I'm pretty sure I've heard Deep Elves somewhere before.
High Elves have more magic. Magic is power.
>civilization
Well look, wood elves are forest hobos, Drow are underground and shit, most depictions of High Elves put them in glittering castles or some shit.
>>
>>52427299
man i just want to be dio but time stop doesnt work that way
>>
>>52427335
Time Stop stops time for at least twice as long as Dio Brando
Unless you use the videogame version, which is batshit insane
>>
>>52424524
It is the same as spell caster progression and the spell point system in the DMG.

So when spell casters start getting to 5th level spells it goes janky
>>
File: triton.jpg (12KB, 161x300px) Image search: [Google]
triton.jpg
12KB, 161x300px
How do I roleplay a character for the purpose of getting a whole party to trust me in only two sessions that last about 3 hours each?

Basically my DM asked if I'd be up for some fucking with the party mentally, which i'm always up for, so he said to roll up a new character, and make it so the party would be sympathetic to him, which I did.

He then froze my main character in time, etc etc, he's out but not dead.

Now I've got 6 hours to get them to trust me as much as they trusted my main so I can wrench their hearts out when I get killed off. Unfortunately they're all paranoid of me right now because it was a coincidence I came along to replace my main at the EXACT time he got frozen, and i'm fairly certain they're plotting to kill him themselves. What do? Also he's a level 8 sea sorcerer with a bunch of themed spells, so he's mostly got cc. I'm not actually worried about them killing him, but if they actually try it they'll probably never trust him, so really that's a last resort.
>>
>>52427318
Wood elves are the Normie elves who didn't want to live in High-elf Svedistan or Drow Saudi-Arabia.
>>
Has anyone played a spell-less revised ranger? Is that something you would allow in your game?
>>
>>52427380
>Drowdi-Arabia
>>
>>52427390
KEK
It rolls of the tounge.
>male drow are required to wear burkas
>>
>>52427397
Holy shit. This is amazing.
>>
>>52427397
>burkas

With their aversion to sunlight this makes a ton of sense.
>>
>>52427397
>Male drow are completely subservient to females
>All of society worships a cruel god
>They literally live in the dark
>Everything there is shit to anyone who doesn't come from there

All we need is Dwarven USA using drilling depth charges to blow the shit out of it so they can steal their valuables.
>>
>>52427378
Work with the DM. Get him to put one of your allies in a deadly situation, and put yourself in harm's way to save them.

Also if you find a magical item and give it to one of them, that'll earn some brownie points.

Don't steal or kill anything you don't need to.
>>
>>52427413
And High-Elf Sweden letting it self be infiltrated by ''their fellow elves''.

Meanwhile vaugley east-european wood elves who had enough of their shit are calling for the genocide of drow...Again...
>>
>>52427426
>And High-Elf Sweden letting it self be infiltrated by ''their fellow elves''.
Don't High-elf think of drow as sub-elves and wouldn't let them in? Or anyone at all? Aren't High-elves peaceful germany in 1938?
>>
>>52427445
No.
High elves are an overblown arrogant civilisation on their decline.

I think they'd be infested with a rampart left-wing regresivist movement and a stormfag neo-nazi movement.
>>
>>52427456
I never heard about left-wing high elves, so it must be nazis, there is no point of them being neo-nazi since genetical superiority is core value of every high-elf
>>
>>52427456
>High elves are an overblown arrogant civilisation on their decline.

Why? Nowhere does it say they're in decline, and while some are haughy and reclusive, others are open and friendly.
>>
>>52427456
I wonder what skinhead elves would look like. They've already got the whole "our race is better than everyone else's" thing going on, so it's not hard to imagine it happening. I'd imagine they would turn to blood magic and literally check the purity of people's blood, then either kill them or empower them based on the results.
>>
File: GoB.jpg (83KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
GoB.jpg
83KB, 640x480px
What's the best class for Gate of Babylon shenanigans? Warlock can bind a single weapon so that's not that tempting, Spectral Weapon is only good for a single weapon too. I guess there are ways for wizards to store weapons away in pocket dimensions but then I won't be proficient pulling all these weapons out of nowhere.
>>
File: 1483596334977.jpg (108KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
1483596334977.jpg
108KB, 728x546px
>>52427378
>Switching out party leader with some random guy from an icebox
I hate your DM, he's inserting filler by having the "new guy you can't trust" arc happen under completely artificial and unnecessary circumstances
You're even worse for enabling this sort of shit. Why would your character even want to join new party? Wouldn't he just want to leave because the place is dangerous with automatic trap freezers?
>>
>>52427466
>I never heard about left-wing high elves

That's weird, because elves in AD&D were loosely organized individual bands, and their chaotic nature lends more to a egalitarian worldview.
>>
>>52427468
Look at why Wood elves split of from High Elves.

High elves are described as ruling over old highly urban centres ignoring the rest of the world to bask in their own ''art'' and decadent ideology of superiority.
>>
>>52424500
Why are supplementary pally oaths so shit? They're all encouraging that guy behaviour and most of them are edgy or border-line evil.
>>
>>52427480
Gate of Babylon is the equivalent of chucking Epic weapons and Artifacts at people just for the lulz and because you can. Get rich first.
>>
>>52427494
>Look at why Wood elves split of from High Elves.

Where? I don't see anything implied like that in the Players Handbook.

>High elves are described as ruling over old highly urban centres ignoring the rest of the world to bask in their own ''art'' and decadent ideology of superiority.

Again, where? It's implied that all elves like art and enjoy finely crafted goods.
>>
File: diabeetus.gif (51KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
diabeetus.gif
51KB, 650x450px
>>52427482
Well the whole plot point that's set up is that his boss, a water elemental oracle, told him to go find the party, and then get them to earn your trust. So whatever his own opinion of the decision is, he must do it anyway, because his boss reads the future.

And also because it's the second time we've ever tried pulling something like this as a side-quest, the first time was a disaster, but I wasn't in on that one. I just wanna help him pull it off, desu.
>>
>>52427502

I'm looking for a more toned down version obviously, maybe Noctis is a better example, a weapon summoner with access to a portable arsenal, the weapons themselves don't have to be legendary, just the right tool for the right job. Bonus points for being able to make the weapons fly around and hit people.
>>
>>52427480
Animate Object of course.
>>
>>52427506
What's even the point of the plot point then? It's just
>oh asspull trap!
>now you've got a different character
>who has to join the party to do the same function!
>Drama with the party not trusting him!
The reason the first one failed miserably was because it's total shit and it's only there to waste time
>>
>>52425382
Ranged Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>52427487
I dunno if they're "right" or "left," and find any attempt to cram politics into D&D retarded, but if you consider extreme levels of racism, the most unchanging and static social values possible, massive distrust for outsiders and valuing unchanging traditions and even nonmagical, inanimate objects over life "right wing," that's pretty "right wing." I would just say "fucked up."

Much adieu is made over their "tree hugger"ishness, but them valuing trees over people is less that they have a high value on trees and more a low value on humans. Afterall, for decades its been a given that elves would butcher non-elven allies who have risked their lives to help elves just because they learned a hand to hand fighting style or found a nonmagical set of armor in some ruins that an elf made 1000 years ago. It'd be like if jews went completely berserk because a gentile learned Krav Maga.
>>
>>52427526

Any way to wrangle that onto a cleric?
>>
>>52427583
Cramming politics in D&D makes for a better game many times. It just has to be actual politics and not "this is not!Nazis and this is not!SJWs and this is not!Commies now side with one so I can blow my /pol/ / tumblr / lefty/pol/ load all over your face and have in-game shitstorms". Social commentary is the shittiest thing you can do to a game.
>>
>>52427593
Its been a cleric spell for decades but apparently its a bard/sorcerer (WTF?) spell now.
>>
>>52427593
Forge Cleric.
>>
>>52427603
Oh yeah. A setting with fictional politics is good.
>>
>>52427583
I don't see how racism, static social values, xenophobia, and objectification are given truths to High Elves.

You're making a whole lot of assumptions.
>>
>>52427603
>Social commentary is the shittiest thing you can do to a game
Indeed, problem also is that players are also have their own politics, so if you may city-state/country or whole race of slavers Player or two might find it not fitting to "current world standards" and start to sperge out
>>
>>52427641
t. Eiwynn Elansorel
>>
>>52427649
That's when I tell them to put up or shove off because the current year is in fact 3412 of the Tenth Era by the reckoning of Sun Goddess Amaterasu and not The Year of Our Lord 2017.
>>
>>52427652
Who?

If this is all Forgotten Realms bullshit, it can be safely ignored.
>>
>>52427657
Why are you asking about High Elves in D&D if D&D examples don't count
>>
>>52427662
High Elves in D&D are not just Forgotten Realms, they're a setting agnostic PC race that is interpreted by different settings.

I want to know what makes a High Elf a High Elf, without setting baggage.
>>
>>52427657

That's just a generic High Elf name I made up. I like that I can throw together a bunch of Es and Ls into a configuration that sounds holier than thou and people will assume it's some great High Elf character beloved in DnD lore, typical Elven reaction.
>>
>>52427671
Then the reason they're called High Elves is the same reason we call Humans Humans.
>>
>>52427641
>are given truths to High Elves.
One type
(which includes the gray elves and valley elves of
Greyhawk, the Silvanesti of Dragonlance, and the
sun elves of the Forgotten Realms) is haughty and
reclusive, believing themselves to be superior to
non-elves and even other elves.
>>
File: High Elves.jpg (134KB, 693x786px) Image search: [Google]
High Elves.jpg
134KB, 693x786px
>>52427671
>>
>>52427685
>>52427692

Are you both missing the part where it says High Elves are also open and friendly, with given examples of both?
>>
>>52427698
>more friendly
It means they are less naughty and reclusive, the thing about superiority didn't cancel out
>>
>>52427671
Exactly this.

One thing about various races and populations in general is that they are politically and socially split.

You can do many flavours of a single race.

You can make civic-liberals, moderate socialists, regressive socialists, neo-nazis, civic-ethno-centrics...And so on.
Generalizing a race and shoe horning it into a single world view is quite dumb.

You can have pacifistic tree hugging orcs who are still savages.
You can have religiously carnivorous wood elves on a crusade against a certain other group and so on.
>>
>>52427641

>You're making a whole lot of assumptions.

What? I'm just pointing out, the default take on elves in D&D for decades has been unbelievable contempt for inferior races, to the point of valuing suits of non frikkin magical armor as well as combat styles over human lives.

I like to run with "nicer" elves (ie. won't aggressively undermine their own vassals) but the fluff to 101 different things in D&D are "elves don't let nonelves have this and you'd better give it back or they'll kill you!"
>>
File: elves.jpg (198KB, 1071x419px) Image search: [Google]
elves.jpg
198KB, 1071x419px
>Elf defence force trying to prove for some unknown reason that High Elves aren't haughty faggots who look down on everyone

What's next friend? Going to tell us that there are plenty of Dwarves who stick to a vegan diet and abstain from alcohol?
>>
>>52427711
You will note that humans get this very specific note of "no typical alignment", while every other race does and certain races can literally only have one - Fiends are ALWAYS Chaotic Evil, there is no such thing as a Good or even Chaotic Neutral Succubus, and so on.
>>
>>52427711
Elf is the race though. Sub-races are more like ethnic groups, which are very much more homogenized. So what makes the High Elf ethnic group what it is?
>>
>>52427731
You know the best part about this is that if you blanked out the humans and Elves, there would be no way of telling if this were a racist human, the typical elf, or a dwarf talking about an elf.
>>
>>52427711
On the other hand, its also perfectly reasonable to have nonhuman cultures be much more stagnant and stereotyped than human ones. There's every reason that near immortals who live in forests and subterranean dwellers who also live crazy long would have far less change and progress. This isn't to say many would choose to live apart from their own race and adopt other cultural values.
>>
>>52427736
The fact that they're high elves.
>>
>>52427722
>>52427722
That's a pretty broad claim, you have any specific citations I can read supporting it?

I'm not being facetious i'm genuinely interested.
>>
>>52427731
I wouldn't be surprised if most derfs were involuntarily vegans + insectivores and who rarely had alcohol.
>>
> racist human
Bust she isn't racist, it's true that elves are not humans, she just really hates elves
>>
>>52427736
Not having copper skin with green flecks and probably brown/black hair, or black skin and silver hair.

High elf covers whichever the third group is, depending on setting.
>>
>>52427736
>So what makes the High Elf ethnic group what it is?

Well this is more a question of fantasy cliches.
And the usual cliche is a race gifted with magic that is somehow on decline and exceptionally haughty.
The reason of being haughty is more of a in-setting thing.
>>
>>52427765
They often are presented in such a way that their haughtiness isn't completely unjustified.
>>
>>52427765
in most stories High Elves are superior to other races
>>
>>52427776
>>52427785

Haughtines is just pride taken to exagarated levels.
Pride is usually justified but when one exagarates it shows as arrogance which most people find apalling.
>>
>>52427569
Sure, but fuck it. I wanna make it work, we both wanna make it work, if it works it'll be fun. It's just trying something different.
>>
>>52427765
>a race gifted with magic

This is a good start. Supported mechanically in characters of this subrace.

They also know an extra language, so they seem to be more cultured than other sub-races, that doesn't seem very like they're very haughty.
>>
Anyone have ideas for a Hexblade who's sworn himself to a Quarterstaff? I was thinking that it was once Elminster (Or any other famous Wizard's staff) and is salty about being replaced, so now it's trying to teach me magic to be a great Wizard. Think is I prefer to hit people with it and just halfass the spell lessons.
>>
>>52427792
Not really
I can be an omnipotent metadeity (i.e. a level 100 DMPC with a special class ~just for her~) but acting haughty towards level 5 PCs is still possible. Doesn't matter that it's justified beyond any argument because haughtiness is a way of action.
>>
>>52427801
It shows that they value education but may lead to them looking down on those of a lower education or traditions they view as stagnant and ''stupid''.
Look at modern high education and you'll find the most arrogant shitbags you will ever meet to be those still in universities.
>>
>>52427802
Your character loves dicks so much he needs to fight with the ultimate penis-pun weapon and constantly makes references to his 'wood', 'shaft', 'hard pole‘ and 'stiff rod'. As such, only a quarterstaff could properly convey his unslakeable thirst for cocks.
>>
What's a good site or what're good sites to host/make homebrews?
>>
File: 1484306215622.jpg (92KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
1484306215622.jpg
92KB, 800x999px
>>52427840
>>
>>52427840
A spear is better for penis puns, it works just fine with all of those but can also penetrate.

>>52427825
The thing is though they're usually right. Also not him but the top end of academics is also filled with people who are friendly as fuck person to person. All of them are arrogant when talking to the masses, but that's because the masses don't know what the fuck they're talking about most of the time they're talking to the masses at all.

>>52427801
Sounds idiotic. Why does being cultured mean you can't be haughty? This doesn't make any goddamn sense.
>>
>>52427802
How about a magic quarterstaff forged by a monastery for a few millenia as their guardian treasure.
It may contain the soul of a magically gifted monk who decided to seal him self within.

This would require a LG or at least LN worldview for the PC.
>>
>>52427825
This is possible, but why learn a language then? Why not another skill or asset if they're all about high education?

Learning a language denotes you're intending to use it.
>>
>>52427880
>when you find out your friend is a vore fetishist and you love him and all so you want to try and deal with him but still he's a vore fetishist and you're just

>>52427859
Classes or what?
>>
>>52427881
Yeah but then you can't rub the end against your fellow party members (without slicing them at least)
>>
>>52427840
Would be better with a spear and I already fill my ERP quota at home.
>>
>>52427893
Learning a language denotes that it is useful to know more languages in abscence of a single lingua universalis. Telling a human he's a nw'ah doesn't work as well as calling him a fagogt.
>>
>>52427893
Language is practical.

Do i hate the arabic language because i disdain Islam?
No i don't.
>>
>>52427899
It wasn't a question, but an assessment.

Quarterstaves are mad gay.
>>
>>52427906
But what if I play a female character?
>>
>>52427900
So that covers Elvish and Common, but they learn an additional language beyond that.

They intend to use that language.
>>
>>52427736
There are three major surface types of Elves.

The High Elves - The "civilized" elves, who live in great cities of marble. They're builders and students of the arcane. They dislike outsiders because they don't wipe their feet.

The Wood Elves - The more rural and savage kind, tend to build their homes in trees and such. They're less focused on arcana, preferring to worship the natural world. They dislike outsiders because they do wipe their feet.

The Grey Elves - Also known as Mountain Elves, Eldarin, Ghost Elves, or Star Elves. These are the ones who buggered off to other dimensions and other places. They're even more frail and arcane than high elves, tend to glow or sparkle. They dislike outsiders because their feet come from outside.
>>
>>52427906
Yeah but PAM is my Hexblade's one ticket to being looked at with respect for his damage dealing.
>>
>>52427913
And knowing more languages is better no matter what if there's no one language everyone understands, what's your point? Look >>52427914. The reason they're High Elves is because they're "civilized". That's literally where the name comes from. High Art. High Culture. High Literature. High Magic.
>>
>>52427894
Yeah, that or creatures.
>>
>>52427910
Ass to ass.

ASS TO ASS.
>>
>>52427930
Try http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
>>
>>52427910
Get a magic shield with a vagina engraved on it
>>
Did 5e finally get rid of iterative attacks?
>>
>>52427753
Mostly AD&D, you can buy anything in 3e + elves are pretty useless in 3e in general, then there really wasn't much elf specific stuff after that (plus being bitchy over special items doesn't make too much sense in a setting with magic wal marts). In AD&D, though, elves are bitchy over almost any elven object, spell or technique being used by humans, to include booze.

There isn't that much specific fluff for 5e, checking Sword Coast reveals the following elf nations/regions;

- Elfharrow, where elves range from shooting everybody to shooting and missing on purpose to give time to run away if they're nice.
- Illefarn, nice, but extinct.
- Sarifal, I assume, is nice (no details on the topic given).
- Evermeet still seems to be VERY xenophobic. Stay the fuck out.
- High Forest, fairly xenophobic, unpredictable.
- Misty Forest, xenophobic but travelers who don't touch anything may be allowed.

Elves in multi-racial cities are of course not portrayed as antisocial, but yeah elf land seems really mean and xenophobic, almost uniformly.
>>
>>52427910
>>52427934
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dS2QwKRhnds
>>
>>52427937
Thanks heaps dude!
>>
>>52424500
Hello !!! Is there a trove with DM's Guild content??
>>
File: 1483376089441.gif (3MB, 414x382px) Image search: [Google]
1483376089441.gif
3MB, 414x382px
>>52427926
>Hexblade
>being looked at with respect
>>
>>52427937
What's the difference between the monster statblock and wide monster statblock?
>>
>>52427993
None. Healthy at any size, you bigot.
>>
>>52427993
Wide monster ate too much.
>>
>>52427997
That's so bullshit.

>>52428002
Seems meatier too.
>>
Ah jesus.

They has a countdown clock on a site called
Planescape DOT com.
I was hoping for some 5e planescape action! But it's just a re release of torroment... which one can already get at gog so one huge fat MEH.
>>
>>52427970
Why do fake spellcasters who sold their soul for two spells at a time think they will ever be looked up to by anyone? Not by divine casters, who either get more power, from more powerful beings, or who got more power for basically free by comparison. Not by real arcane casters, who either worked for greater power or got it for free by birthright. Not by martials, who if they don't need real magical tricks, certainly don't need half assed magical tricks gained from grovelling to Satan, or worse, Billy Bob the Elf's Eladrin uncle, or a literal fucking Satyr.

The fact that there are homeless street urchins roaming around in a world where you can sell your soul for (a little bit of) power suggests being a warlock is THAT shitty, that its generally considered better to live in a barrel and spend all day jerking off than becoming a warlock.

>The PCs pass one of those Monty Python peasants thrashing around in a pile of mud for no reason and can hear him whisper, "at least I'm not a FEKKING WARLOCK"
>>
knew to 5e, can charger feat be used in combination with rogue bonus action dash?
>>
>>52428060
new* fuck
>>
>>52428060
are you using your bonus action to dash? If yes, then yes, if no, then no. Read the exact wording, and figure it out.
>>
>>52428060
no
because you only get one bonus action so if you bonus action dash it's gone
I would assume a nice DM would allow you to get that +5 to damage with your action attack but a dickass would shut that down
>>
>>52424500
This paladin kit looks OP as shit and the others are bad.
>>52426455
Get more levels, look at what your party members are doing, then take over all their roles because wizards are gay shit
>>
>>52428060
one bonus action a round my dude
>>
>>52427929
>High Art. High Culture. High Literature. High Magic.

So they're all aristocratic in nature.
>>
>>52428087
>then take over all their roles because wizards are gay shit

I'd love to see a wizard try.
>>
Is there any way to play a wild magic sorcerer without being seen as the annoying gimmick of the party?
>>
>>52428100
They can literally clone you and then use Magic Jar to pilot your body like a Gundam.
>>
>>52428115
no
>>
>>52428100
what this guy said
>>52428117
>>
I'm glad my DM banned sorcerers at our table for being dead weight.
>>
>>52428115
wild magic is an annoying gimmick. so no. But you shouldn't want respect if you're playing a wild magic sorcerer. Instead, you should go further, and ask to be allowed to use this wild magic table instead: http://www.traykon.com/pdf/The_Net_Libram_of_Random_Magical_Effects.pdf
>>
>>52428089
>>52428085
thanks for insight
>>
>>52428117
>>52428121

As far as uses of Simulacrum (clone is a delayed resurrection spell, so I assume that's what was meant), making it so you die to Dispel Magic has got to be as far from "taking over all their roles" as you can get.
>>
>>52428119
>>52428131
Yeah, I didn't think so. I can't figure out how to un-gimmick them either. I'll save it for a game that wants a joke character instead of trying to fit it in somewhere more serious.
>>
>>52428162
No. Clone. Read it again; you can clone your friends even while alive and use the body as long as you do something like Magic Jar.
>>
>>52428241
Ooh, I didn't realize you were talking about homebrew nonsense. Yup, you can use Rule 0.

I thought you were talking about stuff that you can actually do in the game, my bad.
>>
File: 1472444099425.jpg (87KB, 600x628px) Image search: [Google]
1472444099425.jpg
87KB, 600x628px
My 5e group is all a bunch of newfriends, this being their first or second campaign of D&D all around except myself and the DM.

I want to give the DM a break and let her actually play, and I want to introduce said friends to the history of the hobby. In short, I want to run Tomb of Horrors.

However, TftYP doesn't really specify a level at which to run it at? Should I run it at 10-14 like the old module suggests, or at some other level?

I really want to show them how much Gary Gygax hated fun.
>>
>>52428300
Well ToH isn't really a game about chilling and having fun with your friends, and its just going to seem really tedious, stupid, and arbitrary to anyone who's not already used to rigorous old school dungeon crawling (and most people who are).
>>
>>52428300
you want your friends to never play D&D again? Then go for it
>>
>>52428131
I thought 5eg was working on multiple different wild magic tables based off of location/enemy type/magic used kinda thing? Like in somewhere fiendish you'd get chances at hellfire blasts, summoning minor demons, and having fiendish portents like smell of brimstone.
>>
>>52428266
It's not homebrew. Read how Clone works,
>>
File: Succubus_new_design.jpg (1MB, 1750x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Succubus_new_design.jpg
1MB, 1750x2000px
So I'm running an AL adventure soon where they players will fight a Succubus and I was wondering how I should use the charm effect on the players. Do I just make someone roll a wisdom save and hand them a piece of paper with their new commands/instructions? Or should I just try to kill them with draining kiss asap?
>>
>>52428338
well if they were trying to go for it they failed. Right now it's just a bunch of unthemed effects that take place wherever you are. That's why, if you're running a gimmick, you go whole hog and use the table that has a 1 in 10,000 chance of causing a star to go supernova.
>>
>>52428355
Maybe you should, oh, run it as written?
>>
>>52428347
I did. You need to read it. Remember, I care nothing about your garbage homebrew, especially as it was introduced as a way for wizards to be OP.

Inert bodies do not strike me as "creatures." Its not even clear that its a corpse that could be so much as targeted by Animate Dead. Its just inert, and definitely not a creature.
>>
I gave our lvl 7 shadow monk a ring that:
1. Gives him 1 Ki when he lands a critical hit
2. Let's him use ki points to drain 1d8 health from the enemy on hit
3. Lets him treat the darkness spell as nonmagical darkness so he's not blinded by his own abilities
4. Gives him 1+ to hit and damage on unarmed attacks

Too strong? As always, when I give my players stuff that's not in the books I keep the right to alter the thing I gave them if it proves imbalanced.
>>
>>52428387
The thing about charm is that it doesn't say whether the player or the DM is controlling the character. My DM will let you control your character as long as he thinks you're acting under the effects of charm. If you say you can't do it and ask him to, he'll just play your character like an enemy for you.
>>
>>52428355
Have her maintain identities with the different humanoids you fight in the adventure. She warps in ethereally to help fuck up the PCs. She can start mind controlling people while posing as one orc among many, etc.

Once she gets her talons on one PC's mind, she can warp out ethereally. Next, depending on what angle you want, she can either try to corrupt him (to become a warlock or oathbreaker or something) or if you prefer, during a short rest, have him wander off "to take a leak" and get his soul eaten.

Bonus points: If apprehended in one of her identities, have her claim to be a mystic who had to hide in the dungeon (or whatever) in fear and is sorry she tried to mind rape the PCs.
>>
>>52428412
>hurr hurr an empty body without a soul in it can't have a soul go in it

You sound like that faggot that got ass mad about barrels of gunpowder.
>>
File: IMG_0818.jpg (443KB, 1000x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0818.jpg
443KB, 1000x722px
>be me

>be new to d&d and eager to play

>friends dad was an experienced old PC/DM

>he adapts one of his older modules to 5e for me and 2 friends

>something about a hill and a lich

>mfw I just realized it was Tomb of Horrors
>>
>>52428420
Seems fine.
>>
>>52428412
A creature that's asleep is sttill a creature. A Creature without a soul in it is still a creature. The Clone spell makes a body for the current version of the clone's soul to go into when it dies, as such, Magic Jar can utilise the Clone.
>>
>>52428420
1. Good and not too powerful
2. Gives him a damage boost that is needed on monks, nice.
3. Good and strong enough to be useful.
4. Every Monk should end up with something like this.

It's powerful, but in the right way that Magic Loot should be.
>>
>>52428448
You were the one who presented your moronic homebrew as a way for the wizard to be OP. Then you were either too stupid to realize that it would be homebrew or just pretending to be retarded.

Magic Jar can ONLY displace "ensouled" or whatever bodies. It can't make a dead body undead. It can't let you take over a flesh golem or zombie (who strike me as "empty bodies without souls").
>>
>>52428453
>>52428470
Good to hear.
>>
>>52428420
If he isn't, and isn't going to be, a multiclass Assassin, it should be ok, and you could just give powerful items like that to other pcs.
If he's an Assassin you're giving him 4 extra Ki points on every encounter, multiclass Assassin/NuRanger (who ever does that tho!) 8 extra Ki points, that he'll blast away for an extra 8d8 or 16d8 damage on the first round (or will replenish his diminished Ki stores).
>>
>>52428465
There is no indication or implication that the clone is a creature with the unconscious condition, or, in fact, that it is anything at all. Nor is there any indication or implication that it is a legitimate target for spell effects. It is less than a corpse. Its not clear that it can even be targeted by Animate Dead. Nor are there any guidelines for Magic Jar being used on "inert" bodies or even corpses.

So all of your post is merely a houserule. What's worse is that its a houserule that was proposed as a way to let wizards trample on other party members, so it was proposed in bad faith. Proposing a house rule to prove that wizards are OP is retarded.
>>
>>52428099
They're /lit/ when it comes to literature. /a/ when it comes to anime. /v/ when it comes to video games. Art critics when it comes to art. Michelin when it comes to food. They're those faggots who literally will tell you badwrongfun.
>>
>>52428300
>wanting them to drop ttrpgs forever
>>
>>52428465
Clone basically makes a doll. A doll is not alive and does not count as a creature. Something that is dead was once alive. This is a literal lump of meat.
>>
>>52428564
I had a DM do it to me. Sure we barely got past the mist portal before we had to stop but we didn't just jump into the mouth like some people
>>
>>52428517
Assassin only autocrits if you've got surprise.
>>
>>52425978
>i'm a pasty nerd who has never held a sword in his life
>if I can't perform this task, a man with stats twice as high as mine and years of experience couldn't possibly do it
I know this specific instance was sarcasm, but it's true to Pathfinder dev form and a lot of the faggots here in /5eg/ arguing about MUH REALISM in D&D.

>hey why do characters run at a snail's pace even when taking the Dash action
>DUHHHHHHH THEY'RE ALL BURDENED DOWN WITH EQUIPMENT
>okay what about a monk who's just wearing a robe and even has bonus movespeed; he can take two Dash actions and still isn't as fast as a real athlete
>SHUT UP MARTIALFAGGOT, CASTERS ARE GOOD BECAUSE THEY SPEND RESOURCES
>but the Monk spent ki
>>
>>52428579
If the Assassin isn't working hard at getting surprise and going first, he isn't that good at his job, and should resign to being a lowly Thief instead.
He should get surprise almost all the time.
>>
>>52428420
For a mid-levellish item it's pretty good, helping negate monk's squishiness a bit, giving them more resources to play with, rewarding them for crits, making darkness a bit more versatile (I definitely prefer 'it's non-magical' to 'it's magical but you now can see through it' because it makes them think about which they want to use more) and.. Well, I'm sure the +X is justified, it's probably not a random scattering of +X items everywhere.

Personally not my style of item, since I prefer items to instead of being an inevitably permanent buff to characters being limited use / having story purpose / etc but most DMs don't do it that way.

>>52428517
Or they could, you know, short rest before the encounter and get ALL their ki.

True though, it has some notable synergy with things like paralyzed enemies.

Maybe it should say 'on a natural 20'.
>>
>>52428576
Yeah but like
these guys are new

>>52428591
>playing RAW
I haven't seen many games that don't use the Feat Tax houserule for example.
>>
>>52428613
I was too

Literally the only d&d thing I'd done outside of a small part of LoMP
>>
>>52428604
>Or they could, you know, short rest before the encounter and get ALL their ki.
If they do, they can just burn the extra they're getting for that bonus damage (that gets doubled).
But anyway, unless the guy is multiclassing, it's a non-issue.
He'll hit paralyzed enemies only if someone else is doing a little cute combo to let him refuel, I'd let that stay.
>>
>>52428591
>Duh they're all burdened down with equipment
Was one of many reasons, not just the only reason.

>They can do jumps, turn instantly, slide around, attack, defend, check for ambushes, check all around them at every moment, talk, try to analyze enemies, they're wearing whatever equipment they're wearing, a monk may be keeping stance or posture, etc
>Oh, wow, they're not running as fast as usain bolt when he's prepared for it on a flat open track maybe it's because he doesn't have fucking goblins jumping out into the track and murdering him part-way through
Aside from that even if the ft speed measurement isn't entirely accurate, your relative speed (to everything else in combat) is clearly much higher.

Just butting in because the post looks hopelessly bias in representing the 'Fuck you, you shouldn't have to move like a perfect athlete' point.
>>
>>52428591
Seems like the monk player is the one autistically arguing "muh realism in D&D" and boosting unarmored move rates would, of course,

In general any player that wants freebies because "realism" is being That Guy.
>>
>>52428420
Make it require attunement and its plenty good.
>>
>>52428639
But hitting a paralyzed enemy isn't much better than hitting a bag of rats for ki.
'Wow, you hit this hopeless, immobile enemy, have some ki.'
>>
>>52428655
>>52428660
To be fair monks are portrayed as basically wuxia heroes, who can certainly jump like sixty feet into the air and run a hundred metres in three seconds.
>>
>>52428300
>Hey I know you're new and getting interested in this hobby
>So I'm going to have you play the most anti-fun dungeon ever
>>
>>52428668
What's the furthest a player could possibly move in a turn
>>
>>52428300
Level doesn't matter for Tomb honestly, just player intelligence. And Gygax didn't hate fun, his players specifically requested Tomb as they were breezing through his current stuff. And Tomb was one of the least casualty producing dungeons he ran too because his players were already keen to his tricks. One spent 90% of his time on the ceiling to avoid traps.
>>
>>52428673
I dunno I don't play PF, but seeing as Usain Bolt took twice as long and the post is complaining about realism...
>>
File: Succubus_by_arsenal21-d5b0r51.jpg (132KB, 900x592px) Image search: [Google]
Succubus_by_arsenal21-d5b0r51.jpg
132KB, 900x592px
>>52428387
The only thing specified about her tactics is staying in human form and valuing her own life. It's not specified how to best use the charm ability. I just figured she would target the biggest PC and give him the task of defending her and attacking the other players (and letting the player control his own character as long as he follows the commands).
>>
>>52428668
Alright, fine.

All distances and proportions and everything in DnD are now doubled.

However, everything looks exactly the same because squares are 10ftx10ftx10ft now.

The only difference is wizards can now pick up (3*8) or so tonnes of water instead of just 3.
>>
>>52428668
Okay?
>>
>>52428677
>One spent 90% of his time on the ceiling to avoid traps.
Clearly you've never had a Hexblade with the at-will Levitate ability in your party. He already does this.
>>
>>52427743
>live crazy long would have far less change and progress
Technologically they should be accelerating past their short-lived fellows. There has never been any indication that Dwarves or Elves are slower learners than Humans or less innovative. With more time to learn and perfect their craft, to study and implement techniques from side disciplines, as well as a host of old masters to draw inspiration and knowledge from, the arts and sciences should be speeding along at a brisk pace. The counter to this is that Humans, who die all the time, have to cram a lot of life into just a handful of decades and aren't as bound by the "old order" telling them they're wrong when they come up with a new theory, but that's horseshit; you can see obvious examples from our real world history where someone came up with a revolutionary idea and the "old guard" told him he was a faggot, and those ideas persisted long after everyone involved was fucking dead.

If you want an actual reason for supposed Elven / Dwarven stagnation, it's their birth rate. They don't expand their territory or numbers as much as Humans. The Dwarves at least (in FR) had a good excuse, but that's been fixed so they should be fucking everywhere now.

Reminder that Humans as a race are more ancient than Elves, Yuan-ti, and the guys who invented dragons, AND THEY HAVEN'T DONE FUCKING SQUAT UNTIL JUST NOW.
>>
>>52428696
I was talking about Gygax's old party. I honestly don't understand your response but regardless, most of the tricks of Tomb are easily dealt with given the shit that modern day classes have at their disposal. Get detect spells, identify, and any form of flying and you can breeze through the entire thing.
>>
>>52428593
>working hard at getting surprise
I was going to go Assassin, but our DM almost never gives us Surprise, so I ditched it.
>>
>>52428713
I was just making a joke about how you made it sound like a crazy idea.

Yeah, honestly I'd feel comfy letting any party go through it with the warning "It's a fucking death trap" because after one death I think most will leave it.
>>
>>52428664
If the Wizard had to paralyze them, it's not a bag of rats trick, the enemies were a real threat.
In-game, he's stealing the life force of a worthy enemy, just one that fell under a dark magic.
>>
>>52428673
Flash Tabaxi moves like 4000ft/turn or some bullshit like that, I think. A 20th level wood elf monk build with mobile can go 225ft/round without magic items or buffs, until they run out of ki (alternately, a monk 18 rogue 2 could go 225ft/round until they need to stop and rest).
>>
>>52428655
>characters are always doing all or some of those things and not just running
This is a shitty argument and you know it.
Adventurers are supposed to be examples of the above-average creature with abilities beyond the norm, performing heroic feats all day, yet they are incapable of making the minimum speeds to pass America's Army boot camp physicals, which are about weeding out the TERRIBLY out-of-shape losers from the just out-of-shape losers. And they do some of those tests under load, so the equipment argument can fuck right off.
>>
tg, what's *the* elementalist class, that isn't cancer like Wot4E?
>>
>>52428686
>a fireball now has a range of 800 feet and a blast radius of 40 feet, covering 560 square meters and 5 000 cubic meters
>>
>>52428726
Crit on surprise might as well be a ribbon ability given how combats are supposed to work in the context of a party of PCs.

Not only are you unlikely to get it, if you do, your GM has likely just about handed the encounter over whether there's a party member with assassinate or not.
>>
>>52428703
>Reminder that Humans as a race are more ancient than Elves

Do you mean ... in FR, or what?

Because I'm not talking about how elves "should" be. I'm also talking socially, not technologically. Obviously, elves have neat gizmos: evangelions, guyvers, space ships, prosthetic limbs, nice armor, etc., but they are, in general, unusually inflamed by other races using anything elf related or entering their turf.

The cultural gap between modern human values (people born 20-40 years ago), "adult" elven values (ones born 100-110 years ago), and the various points like 200, 350, 500, and 650 year old elves (probably a lot of them being the ones who are in power, to boot) has got to chafe, and is probably a big point of why elves are permanently pissed off about humans doing anything.

I mean, even if elven values and human values were identical, having people with values from 100, 200, 350, 500, and 650 years ago no doubt wielding disproportionate power would chafe like crazy.
>>
>>52428726
If you're sneaking around in badly lit dungeons, and are quick on your feet, you SHOULD be getting surprise.
What's your problem, are you trying to sneak in well lit corridors? Does the rest of the party do so much noise that enemies refer to them walking as a 'marching band'?
>>
>>52428769
Getting surprise isn't hard at all, esp since passive perception is the norm, and dim lighting (-5) is most common.
>>
>>52428685
Yeah, I'd say just give him a note to that effect, they should be a good enough roleplayer to have fun with it and probably not give it away.

If you're really lucky, they could act it out as if they're the one dragging her along, and she's just a minor NPC that he's taken a shine to.
>>
>>52428726
>>52428819
I can see why it's hard for you to Surprise anyone.
>>
>>52428762
Play a Land Druid or Dragon Sorcerrer.

They fucked it up when they made the Wot4E Monk...They took the old monk archetypes from 4e and meshed them together into this one messy piece of dysfunctional shit.
>>
>>52428846
What if I were to allow the UA subclasses?
(not full classes like Mystic tho)
>>
>>52428842
Can't blame me for dodgy internet anon.

>>52428798
Nah, our DM is just utter shite. She's new to DMing, but she's also nuts. A lot of /tg/ anons have confirmed her shiteness, lack of Surprise is just an addition to it.

>>52428769
The problem is that Surprise checks are really weird RAW.

>The DM determines who might be surprised. If neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice each other. Otherwise, the DM compares the Dexterity (Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the opposing side.
>Any character or monster that doesn’t notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends. A member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t.

>one person on one side is stealthy
>no enemies notice that one person
>entire enemy side Surprised for a round, everyone on the stealthy guy's side gets a free turn

That's what's implied by "Any character or monster that doesn't notice 'a' threat is surprised". It should probably be more like the Sneak Attack rules, where one person can attack "from surprise" or that the stealthy person gets the surprise, rather than the enemies being surprised.
>>
>>52428882
Druid is still your best bet.
>>
>>52428882
Stone sorcerer and Water sorcerrer work.

Storm and Phoenix however suck ass.

There's also good elemental archetypes for Barbarians in the UA.
>>
>>52428909
Yeah but can you shag the DM
>>
>>52428915
>Storm and Phoenix however suck ass.
How we know your opinions are trash.
>>
>>52428922
She's in her late 30s at the youngest, I'm 22. She had a rant at us for being too dirty-minded after she spent 15 minutes discussing whether it was possible to "blow a woman", because we laughed at the phrase "the goblins grease you up." She nearly left the session and nearly kicked one guy out for that chuckle.

Wouldn't touch her with a 1d4 stick.
>>
>>52428762
Wu Jen Mystic.
>>
>>52428981
What the fuck is her issue? Cast Black Tentacles on the girl in your party.
>>
Is it just me, or do the dungeons in Tales from the Yawning Portal have a lot more magical loot in them than most of the other 5e adventures published so far?
>>
> Campaign never get pass level 7
> I will never will to use simulacrum
>>
>>52429034
>campaign will never get past level 7
Why?
>>
>>52429038
I don't know man.. I have 3 campaign kinda die off after PC get to level 7. Maybe the DM can't handle middle level spell?
>>
>>52429010
Probably due to their origins.
>>
>>52429006
Think she's just nuts. Don't know if you've seen my other stuff on her, but she also throws all kinds of hissy fits when people try to do things she doesn't like, including:

>raising the price of a barrel of oil to 8000gp to prevent me getting one
>instakilling someone at level 1 with a dragon because they wanted to shoot fire at a forest and burn it down and argued when she said they weren't allowed to
>having someone's leg break because they said something she took as an insult
>dropping a cannonball out of the sky onto someone who stood in front of a "no loitering" sign

And so on.
>>
>>52429136
New thread
>>
>>52429135
Haven't I heard these things before
>>
>>52429145
Entirely likely. I generally do a weekly post detailing the latest in the long line of terrors she's sprung on us, because a couple of people asked me to, early on in the campaign when I was asking advice.
>>
File: 1472710468736.jpg (65KB, 770x702px) Image search: [Google]
1472710468736.jpg
65KB, 770x702px
>>52429135
Suggestion: Get a new DM.

>raising the price of a barrel of oil to 8000gp to prevent me getting one
Something something Gulf War now
>>
>>52429135
>>raising the price of a barrel of oil to 8000gp to prevent me getting one

Is she an Arab or something.
>>
>>52429135
Do a coup.
YOU are the DM now.
>>
>>52429233
That's the plan, but I want the players from the party in my game and they won't abandon ship until we get to an end, so I'm holding out until we either win or TPK.

>>52429203
I wanna DM when it ends, I'm just holding out for that.

>>52429223
Nah, I just originally wanted Artificer's Fire as an explosive, and when I realised oil would be cheaper, she said no and made it the same price.
>>
>>52429251
Le Ivory Tower That DM faec
>>
>>52429251
Tell us more stories about her or better, screencap of old one
>>
>>52429265
There are too many memes going on here for me to follow your meaning.
>>
>>52429310
It means she's a shit DM.
>>
File: 1470091553476.png (297KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1470091553476.png
297KB, 600x750px
>>52429310
>Oil Baron
I'm sorry but please rename yourself Liquor Baron for extra memes
>>
>>52429305
I need to do some work, but I'll post in the next thread when I've this batch of research done. I don't have screen caps I'm afraid, I just remember a few here and there.
>>
>>52429251
Why not just buy strong liquor instead. Flammable alcohol is even cheaper than oil.
>>
>>52429410
Alcohol doesn't explode and isn't sticky, and most liquor is like 60% by volume tops.
>>
File: 103228078-22.jpg (394KB, 1536x1041px) Image search: [Google]
103228078-22.jpg
394KB, 1536x1041px
give me character concepts for out of the abyss, or melee warlock builds that aren't MAD as fuck.

or maybe just a gish that works without heavy multiclassing or being shit early on, it's impossible right?
>>
>>52429535
>melee warlock builds that aren't MAD as fuck.
Hexblade. Done.
>>
>>52429563
but if you want supasmite then you need to str
>>
>>52429576
this.
>>
>>52429535
You need atleast 2 attributes most of the time, but stone sorcerer+Blade works pretty good
Str+Con, start with 16 AC, 18 if you use a shield
Go Hellbladelock/GOObladelock so you can use a mace and smash the fuck out of people and get supasmite+ +2 to AC, or go hexbladebladelock for hitting super hard+great damage but no +2 to AC
>>
>>52429576
>supasmite
Don't use the two hander. Just use a normal weapon with the pact blade enhancements.
>>
>>52428759
>yet they are incapable of making the minimum speeds to pass America's Army boot camp physicals, which are about weeding out the TERRIBLY out-of-shape losers from the just out-of-shape losers. And they do some of those tests under load, so the equipment argument can fuck right off.
But that's wrong. It takes less than 5 minutes to do the napkin math to prove that it's wrong. Did you even bother checking your facts before spouting bullshit?
>>
>>52430130
what's the point in making a special invocation for hexblades, but make it so hexblades' first and most important feature doesn't work with it.
it's pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.
>>
>>52424924
5e isn't super- great for this. Even some systems that are mechanically similiar allow for it but that's because they're approaching it from a totally different mindset. You asked for actual advice, though, so here's this:

Combat is never stand-and- fight, and NEVER the main course. Combat is people taking pot-shots at you and you returning fire as you wild-fucking sprint from one place to the next. The easiest way to keep pushing players deeper, deeper, no time to stop, is to rapidly introduce new threats from the direction they came from. Every person's turn is just their description of how they advance (return fire to stall and kill, blasting spells to,clear obstructions, knowledge nature to navigate the path).
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.