[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/ - "I gotta stop sleeping so it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 30

Last thread
>>52335537

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

I'm draggin again today, but at least people got a bit of time to cool off the fighting, let's keep it simple. Who's your favorite designer? What game in your collection has the best art? Any stories from the weekend?
>>
Inb4 the same two autists in every thread start arguing again
>>
What's a good game with a fair bit of direct, negative interaction; none to minimal luck involved and preferably a lowish price that doesn't involve a kilogram of overproduced minis?

inb4 there's none
>>
>Pericles printing now, get charged for it
>$74 after shipping
I think I'm going to cancel it and pick it up off of CSI or MM for $50.
>>
>>52396517
Mancala comes to mind.

Tabletop Simulator is on sale for 50% off on Humble store.
>>
>>52396517
If you're okay with abstracts, you basically just described every good abstract game ever.

I'd especially recommend Tak, as it's basically a modern folk game - you "print and play" it by finding or carving 21 thick squares and one topper made of wood, glass, or plastic, in two colours, and that's it. That's all you need. The best approach on both low price and low effort would really just be buying two different colored bags of generic wooden decorative tiling from a craft store.

I bought the official set and the official travel set, but that's because I'm an addict.
>>
File: pic2338267.jpg (20KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
pic2338267.jpg
20KB, 246x246px
>>52396517

Reiner Knizia's Tigris & Euphrates.
Used to be #1 at boardgamegeek before Puerto Rico came along.
>>
I've never even played catan
>>
>>52398348
You're not missing much, to be perfectly honest.
>>
>>52398418

This, its just very infuriating when the dice fuck you over when you try to plan anything
>>
Other games I have not pictured include

Mage Wars
Machi Koro
Funemployed
Sushi Go
Blood Bowl Manager Card Game + Sudden Death Expansion
Imperial Settlers
Mage Knight Board Game
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan

Brad Talton is my favorite designer. Battlecon is my favorite board game I have tried so far, second place goes to Sekigahara and third place to Discworld Ankh-Morpork. I may also be biased since I went to high school with him and want him to be a success.

Best art, in my opinion, probably goes to Tokaido.

Got to play Burger Up for the first time this weekend. It is simple, but a fun filler and nice art especially well suited to people that aren't really into board games I think.
>>
File: 20170311_161438.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170311_161438.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>52398705

Forgot the picture.
>>
>>52398731
Your shelving system isn't nearly OCD enough to be posting here; you're right about Tokaido tho, it's gorgeous.
>>
File: The Arrival - board02.jpg (963KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
The Arrival - board02.jpg
963KB, 1500x1000px
>>52395527
>Any stories from the weekend?

My copy of 'The Arrival' showed up on Saturday and my group and I played it yesterday. I liked it, and I think the group enjoyed it as well. It's a very different 'Martin Wallace' game. We had a good time during our first game. I did get crushed by being overly ambitious in my choice of starting spots (to far North near the Fomori) and ended being constantly hounded by Fomori from the North and an opposing tribe from the South. The really entertaining part of the game was on the final turn when one of the players got overly daring and earned 7 corruption points triggering the alternate end-game conditions. Instead of going purely by who had the most fame (victory) points, it was based on who ended up with the least corruption points.

I'm definitely looking forward to more plays of that one.
>>
Anyone have the standard image of good intro board games for all the different categories?
>>
>>52395527
>Favorite designer
Probably Vlaada Chvátil, he's explored a lot of different game styles pretty successfully.
I enjoy heavier euros, so Vital Lacerda is a shoo in. Excellent game balance and mechanics.
>Best art
Netrunner has a lot of great illustrations, but I guess that's a thing with CCGs, every card is a showcase. Overall... I love the watercolor style of CO2.
>Storytime
Once upon a time, I played nothing on the weekend. The end.
>>
Hey guys!!

I got some money to spare and would like to buy a new boardgame. I'm looking for a euro like Castles of Burgundy, Caverna or Puerto Rico, but I'm not quite settled on either one.

I'll give you my collection so far, maybe that'll help you guys in suggesting something.

-Carcassonne
-Terra Mystica
-Power Grid
-aGoT 2nd Ed
-War of the Ring 2nd Ed
-Axis & Allies
-Twilight Imperium 3 Ed

What do you guys think?

Cheers.
>>
File: 1401875283343.png (177KB, 708x520px) Image search: [Google]
1401875283343.png
177KB, 708x520px
>Gloomhaven and Santorini are now in the top 100
Why do they allow games that have been out under a year to even place. These 2 are so new we can't even begin to judge their staying power. (Of which Santorini at the very least has absolutely none)
>>
File: pic1640388[1].jpg (208KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
pic1640388[1].jpg
208KB, 480x480px
>>52402989
You should check Archipelago maybe. I like the natives mechanic.

Disclaimer : I haven't played your similar games.
>like Castles of Burgundy, Caverna or Puerto Rico
>>
>>52403091
Technically speaking Santorini has been around since 2004 at least, but I would like to see a change in their policies for ranking. The weighting to balance against few reviewed games is a bit wonky, as is the fact people add "balance" ratings of 10s and 1s on unreleased games is ridiculous. Whitleypedia had a good video on comparing Dice Tower peoples top 100, to most voted on games at BGG, that seems to be a better metric overall, but honestly I feel like you should always be using the advanced search if you want to see how games really rate.
>>
What are the best board game news sites? I just want a site so that I can follow up on news about expansions, and interesting kickstarters. I couldn't care less about review or whatever, just a site that reports on various board games.
>>
>>52402989
Carcasonne is dull.
Terra mystics is dull.
Power Grid is interesting for a euro, but a little mathy and long.
aGoT is okay but worse than Rex.
War of the Ring pretty gud.
Axis and Allies is dull.
Twilight Imperium is fantastic but long.
>>
>>52402989

My group is not a big fan of euro games so I don't get to play them very much even though I personally really enjoy them, so my advice may be sub par. While those three you have listed are all highly regarded and popular euros I have not actually played any of them, so I offer two other games that I would recommend to a euro fan.

Leonardo Da Vinci is a really solid worker placement euro with aggressive set collection as you compete against the others to get the resources needed to build inventions (victory points) that are all public knowledge and whoever can build it first gets it. Also has a mechanic where everyone has one master inventor piece along with apprentice inventor pieces. If you place your master piece on a resource with only opposing apprentices on it you skip to the front of the line to get the resource.

Also, even though Caverna is on your list, I recommend Agricola. It really feels like it's "the" medium weight euro. It is punishing and really requires strategy when playing with other people that are on the same level as you. All the cards make for great replayability and variety. The only downsides in my opinion are that it is a fiddly game and that you kind of always being forced into the same general plan for the beginning and end game. The path between those points when taking into account the card abilities and how you play to get there really makes the game worth it though.

I have heard Caverna is quite similar, while still being its own unique game, to Agricola. So I guess if it is on your list I would recommend it.
>>
>>52403507
You forgot your tripcode STEEV
>>
>>52404186
>Twilight Imperium is fantastic but long
>STEEV
>TI3
>long

Also
>reviewing a person's collection
>>
>favourite designer
overall I'll say Brad Talton, though Nate Hayden, Jim Felli and Brett Murrell have made individual games that are more appealing

>best art
I care more about style than execution, and with that regard the Cave Evil series straight up wins

>weekend
I've had a friend stay at my place since Wednesday night as his brother kicked him out with little notice, I've done far more board gaming than any weekend for the past year! playing Cave Evil: Warcults, Titan, Shadows of Malice and Merchants & Marauders in the same weekend makes me a happy anon, though I kinda wish that I didn't accidentally find his Titan too early and annihilated the legion his Titan was in. trying to score my last glory point in M&M by hunting him down in a Frigate vs a Galleon and getting wrecked by dice rolls was a hilarious way to end that session
>>
>>52403091

BGG already heavily weights against new games. What has happened over the last few years is much better self-selecting and an influx of casuals who use the 7-10 rating scale so all newer games have higher ratings.

That said, Gloomhaven has the highest average un-corrected rating for a game and has just under 2500 ratings. Its only been out for <2months but its already been supported with 17 solo PDF solo scenarios and a scenario from another designer. And a sequel is in the works. And the designer has officialy released all the game art for community built scenarios. Gloomaven is the only the 17th best game of all time because the BGG ratings won't let it be #1 yet.
>>
>>52404894
>who use the 7-10 rating scale
I think this is just characteristic of new gamers period, I found a lot of my ratings were too kind, and going back after a year I realized what bad games were truly bad. 100% agree that people are getting better at picking what they like and rating it very high, but hey, that's what put TS in the top spot for a long time, so I don't see a huge problem with it.
>>
File: casual games v4.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
casual games v4.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>52400008
>>
File: connie.jpg (33KB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
connie.jpg
33KB, 680x382px
>>52395527
>What game in your collection has the best art?
Without a doubt that has to be Tsuro for me. Holy fuck this game is sexy

I got to get my copy of the Attack on Titan deck building game to the table with a friend of mine. It was hectic at times and overwhelming but really enjoying. Probably the most exciting part was we were down to just one wall remaining with six titans on the board and me playing as Connie was able to wipe out four of them at once. Felt great famalam
>>
File: the wife's recs v6.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs v6.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>52405147
Have the new version, I redid it earlier this month
>>
>>52404894
That's just bullshit. BGG is ruled by the cult of the new.
>>
File: Stone Age 01.jpg (395KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Stone Age 01.jpg
395KB, 1024x683px
>>52402989
I like both Castles of Burgundy and Puerto Rico, but I'd agree that if you want a meaty Euro - check out Archipelago. But I'd also suggest taking a look at 'Stone Age' if you haven't already done so. It's a fun but engaging light / medium weight Euro game.
>>
>>52405325
They just need to increase the number of dummy ratings that weight a game around 5.5-6.5 if it's a cult of the new problem. It's that the site is starting to get more casual gamer users as they re-design.
>>
File: 1471222735232.png (3MB, 1833x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1471222735232.png
3MB, 1833x1500px
>>52405252
Thank you!

There's also a couple of /tg/ bgg 'general recommendations' images too. Pic related.
>>
File: 1471222531619.png (2MB, 2016x899px) Image search: [Google]
1471222531619.png
2MB, 2016x899px
>>52405413
And this one...
>>
File: kids v2.png (2MB, 1570x1534px) Image search: [Google]
kids v2.png
2MB, 1570x1534px
>>52405413
Yup, those two were what I copied when I set out to do the gf/wife one last year. Kids one is still a work in progress, as I test stuff out on my buddy's 4 yr old daughter.
>>
Has anyone played Raptor?

Would you get Raptor or Patchwork for someone new to board games but is very competitive?

Any other suggestions for competitive 2 player games that are light but deep?
>>
>>52405539
If they'd never played any other modern games, I'd get Patchwork (assuming of course the theme won't turn them off). Raptor is great, but it's got a tiny bit more going on, and I've found some new gamers don't do as well with the asymmetric stuff, ymmv. As for other recs, either of the 2p/casual charts posted above have lots; off the new one my favorites are Odin's Ravens, Memoir '44, The Duke, and Survive (if your friend is really competition driven this one is just downright cruel, you start killing the other player's meeples on turn 1). The wife loves Jaipur, Pagoda, Tokaido, and Terror in Meeple City (though I think that's just for playing with dino/kaijus). If your friend was ever a fan of Stratego growing up, look into BattleLine, Thunder & Lightning, or LotR: The Confrontation, that's what I pull out for my brother.
>>
>>52405539
The entire Kosmos 2p line is real solid (with a few exceptions)
Targi is a fantastic worker placement/resource management.
Kahuna is a super simple but very strategic card driven area control, lots of fun.
Haven't played Lost Cities, but it's practically Keltis for 2, and is well regarded.
Odin's Ravens is a card management racing game.
>>
>>52406223
>Kosmos 2p line is real solid
This is true, but avoid Balloon Cup (out of print anyways so it's overpriced) and get Pinata, which is a proper re-working by the designer
>>
ive been out of the board game news for a while, what are the big, upcoming games people are looking forward to this year?
>>
>>52395527
First thread with no kickstarter bs
I'm proud of you guys
>>
>>52396517
>What's a good game with a fair bit of direct, negative interaction; none to minimal luck involved and preferably a lowish price that doesn't involve a kilogram of overproduced minis?
Chess.
>>
>>52404894
>That said, Gloomhaven has the highest average un-corrected rating for a game and has just under 2500 ratings.
So what? That just means that there are 2500 autists out there for whom it is a perfect fit. Remember that there are 150000 other BGG users that didn't vote for Gloomhaven but would have given it a 5 if they did.
>>
>>52405539
>Would you get Raptor or Patchwork for someone new to board games but is very competitive?
Patchwork. It's already a classic while Raptor is a flash in the pan with mismatched mechanics.
>>
>>52395527
>Who's your favorite designer?
Probably Ignacy Trzewiczek. Although I think while he has good ideas he sucks at balancing and sucks at making those ideas work for the long term.
> What game in your collection has the best art?
A toss up between Ghost Stories (the monsters are gorgeous) and Imperial Settlers (while simple the art is cute)
> Any stories from the weekend?
Played Lords of Xidit and Exploding Kittens

Lords of Xidit didn't go well for me - can't get the hang of the game and what to do when.

Was surprised at Exploding Kittens - I don't understand the hate it's a very good light weight game. Beats Munchkin or Love Letter by a long margin in my book.
>>
>>52408402
The hate it gets is because it's a meme game made for casuals that broke all previous kickstarter funding milestones, and we hate kickstarter and everything normalfags love because we're fucking hardcore and they are fucking plebs. Just look at us, we're all about the right kind of fun and we're not afraid to tell 'em how much they suck.
>>
>>52405147
>>52405252
>>52405413
>>52405425
Honestly, I'm surprised that Kingdom Death: Monster wasn't included anywhere on these. (even in some kind of cheeky joke category)
>>
>>52408508
I think we hate it because its a bad game actually

>Tfw no dedicated seasons partner
>>
File: shilling intensifies.jpg (166KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
shilling intensifies.jpg
166KB, 1024x576px
>>52408125

Don't worry anon; I'll fix that!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/429029786/impulse-english-2nd-edition-2-expansions
>>
>>52405539
Never played patchwork. HIghly recommend Raptor it's probably my favourite game and the easiest to get to the table by an astronomical country mile.

It really gets competitive and quickly becomes a game of playing your opponent more than the game.

Downside it is extremely asymmetric. For the 20 games or so I really couldn't get the raptors to win at all. Now I understand them I never lose with Raptors but it's always so heated and tight opponents want another game.
>>
>>52409316
What is the point of games like this? At some point you're e better off just playing a videogame.
>>
>>52409608
It doesn't seem that videogamey to me. If anything, it looks like a variation on RftG with bolted-on Carcassone mechanics.
>>
>>52409316
>All Your Base
Jesus.
>>
>>52409837
>RtfG is overrated as fuck.
No, it's one of the best games ever made.

>Also, almost 0 player interaction, bunch of autismos wanking in their corners.
'Zero player interaction' is just code for "I'm too retarded to figure out basic strategy".

Tom Lehmann (the designer of RftG) made a good point. Player interaction is when you have two things:

a) Knowing when you're losing.
b) Having the tools to catch up and win.

The games with lowest amount of player interaction are the shitty amerilard dice-chucker plastic pushers.

(Of course for you 'player interaction' means sublimating your school bullying experiences in makebelieve violence, so you can just ignore this post and go wank to your waifu instead.)
>>
>>52410171
I love RtfG, but I wouldn't say it has much player interaction. Not zero, but certainly not far off it.
>>
>>52410324
Fuck off back to /pol/ or learn to speak without drowning your post in irrelevant buzzwords.
>>
>>52410324
>I want to mess they strategy, stop their enginebuilding or at least cripple it.
Yes, that's exactly what happens when you choose 'consume'. Read the rules again, the other guy is forced to consume in this case and lose his victory points.

>>52410286
>I love RtfG, but I wouldn't say it has much player interaction. Not zero, but certainly not far off it.
You're retarded and shouldn't post here anymore.

>>52410332
Right, I forgot that player """"interaction"""" is rolling a d8 and reading a special effects card about heads assploding. So much action, so interaction testosterone, wow!
>>
>>52410473
RftG, like the title says, is a racing game. It's a game where both players act in parallel according to a common clock tick, and where winning means skipping beats or forcing your opponent to stall. The meat of the game is in choosing the right phase card at the right time. There's very little engine building in the game.
>>
>>52410490
Projection is a hell of a crippling disorder.

This board isn't a space for you to work through your school bullying trauma via roleplaying. Speak to your therapist about that instead.
>>
>>52410473
I'm not even the guy you're arguing with and I don't give a flying fuck about RtfG, I'm just tired of you /pol/shits injecting your cretinism into every board. You're talking about fucking player interaction, not cuckolding and social justice. Stop spouting your retarded buzzwords at everything you disagree with.
>>
>>52410556
A swing and a miss, I'm a hardcore traditionalist reactionary in the Moldbug sense, except that I believe libertarianism is modernist degeneracy and the world needs to go back to theocratic monarchy. Stop projecting.
>>
>>52410613
I'm serious.

Also go neck yourself, the world doesn't need more retards.
>>
>>52395527
alex randolph for artist

Best story is getting a friend of a friend who never liked board games hooked by introducing him to a couple fun simple ones, played splendor, tsuro of the path, and ticket to ride.

He looked like a puppy he was so happy.
>>
So CMON has posted a video of them playing through Rising Sun. I still don't know how this game is played since they aren't explaining anything
>>
>>52410646
I don't own anything with a miniature, never kickstarted anything and don't buy games newer than 3 years old on principle. Stop projecting.
>>
>>52410729
>newer than 3 years old

What, why?
>>
>>52395998

Well you're right, it's happening again.
>>
>>52410740
Enough time for idiots to latch on to their next "greatest game evar" and for publishers to analyze their sales and reprint the (few) games that actually have value.
>>
>>52410767
>>52410767
> Inb4 the same two autists in every thread start arguing again
There's at least four, maybe even five.
>>
>>52397254
This seems pretty neat. I might build myself a set so I have something to play while half my group sets up whatever silly haunted zombie house game they fall for next.
>>
>>52397254
I just watched a tutorial video of tak, looks like it's something I'd really enjoy. Gonna have to make my own board sometime soon
>>
>>52410512
>RftG, like the title says, is a racing game. It's a game where both players act in parallel according to a common clock tick, and where winning means skipping beats or forcing your opponent to stall. The meat of the game is in choosing the right phase card at the right time. There's very little engine building in the game.

Are you talking Roll for the Galaxy or Race for the Galaxy?
>>
>>52411147
Race. Roll is a generic engine builder with some slightly interesting worker placement mechanics. The unique lockstep-but-syncopated racing mechanic isn't there in Roll. (Probably the main reason why normies like Roll better despite the fact that Roll is more complex and fiddly. The parallel nature of Race is too strange when people are used to taking sequential turns.)
>>
>>52410828
Nothing you said actually changes your enjoyment of the game though.
>>
>>52411279
>Nothing you said actually changes your enjoyment of the game though.
I don't enjoy buying games for the sake of collecting them, and the chance that some random flavor-of-the-year game ends up not wasting my time is slim.
>>
>>52411437
I never said you had to collect, you still sound like an idiot by putting this arbitrary 3 year waiting period. Like I understand not following hype to the register but what you're saying is absurd.

>I've done my research and demo'ed this board game but it's too new for me to own, people on the internet might think I follow trends.
>>
>>52411493
I'm not an autist so of course the "3 years" is not an absolute rule.

Still the point stands: less than 50 plays is not really enough to figure out if a game is broken. Three years is about the right time for people to actually playtest the thing thoroughly and write some negative reviews.
>>
I wish we could purge everyone in this thread.
>>
>>52410586
>>52410626
>theocratic monarchy
>serious
B8 hrdr m8
>>
the race for the galaxy guy is back....
i still like roll moreso than race
>>
>>52411659
> everyone who isn't on board with my pants-on-head-retarded political philosophy must be trolling
Nothing good ever came from secularism.
>>
>>52411667
>i still like roll moreso than race
Of course you do, Roll a much more generic normie game.
>>
>>52411653
>I wish we could purge everyone in this thread.
Including yourself, I hope?
>>
another quick n easy bait....
>>
>>52411689
w e w
e
w
>>
>>52411933
> "it's 2017, come on, I don't even, ugh"
Great argument, bro.
>>
reminder that board game are the perfect place for political discussion
>>
>>52411231
So you've never played roll.
>>
>Still responding to the one shit-flinger who shows up in every thread

Wew

Anyway, I think there are a few trains of thought regarding this "cult of the new" and a lot of it revolves around new games continuing to come out with new mechanics. Compare that to video games, where there's almost an oversaturation in nearly every genre and almost everything has been done before, and most devs don't feel creative. That will eventually happen in board games (and may be starting with plastic pushers) but until that does there will always be people flocking to the "new thing".

While 3 years is extreme to determine if a game is worthwhile or not, it's also highly inadvisable to purchase based on hype or a select few reviewers talking the game up. See Vassal with Vast or Cry Havoc. Both proved to have large balance issues and are ultimately not worth a purchase compared to other games, but it didn't take three years to discover that, just a few months.

At the end of the day you must use common sense with your money.
>>
>>52412071
That's exactly why Legacy style games became so popular. It hadn't been done before, one guy did it right, the game blew up because it was innovative, and now a lot of designers jumped on the bandwagon.
Is Pandemic Legacy deserving of the #1 spot on BGG? Probably not, it's still fucking Pandemic, and there are a lot of games better than Pandemic, but the script-driven campaign mode was a ground breaker.
>>
I wish I had any friends into board/card games to justify buying my own copy of Dominion now that I'm not in a board game club. I fucking kill at Dominion. I'm generally shit at any sort of strategic game, but for whatever reason I kick ass at Dominion. Even when our club got gud and started using more than just the basic default cards so my established strategy went out the window, I STILL kicked ass. The couple times I played with other people who owned the game I always won. But I really don't need another game to sit on my shelf next to the other card games and RPG rulebooks I never use.
>>
>>52412606
Do you have an FLGS? While I'm lucky enough to have had 50% of my group prior to going as well as a brother who likes board games, I've made the other half of my board game friends just visiting and hanging out.
>>
>>52412003
So you've never played Race.
>>
>>52413091
I'm not the one calling roll a worker placement game that plays with sequential turns
>>
>>52412633
I guess I could get over my crippling social awkwardness and just drop in at a game store, I do currently live in a big enough city. At least in University I felt like I already sorta belonged just by going to the school, so dropping in at one of its clubs the first time wasn't too bad, but I'm sure most of the game store crowd would be cool enough. Of course, I don't really know what my living situation will be by a couple months out, and I might just move back to my much cheaper hometown, which is much smaller and probably has nowhere near as much of a gaming scene.
>>
>>52412071
Terra Mystica came out in 2012 and they're still fixing its balance issues.
>>
>>52413193
>I'm not the one calling roll a worker placement game
But it is a worker placement game. That's its core mechanic.

> that plays with sequential turns
I didn't say that. Roll is still parallel, but in Roll you choose your own pace, while in Race stuff happens regardless of what you chose. (But you can speed up or slow down the clock ticks with careful manipulation.)
>>
Anyone here going to tabletop day? They announce the prizes for the day yet?
>>
>>52413638
>But it is a worker placement game. That's its core mechanic.
Just because you place workers does not make it a "worker placement" game. In a worker placement game, placing a work blocks off that action for other players. That doesn't happen in roll.

>> that plays with sequential turns
>I didn't say that.

>Probably the main reason why normies like Roll better despite the fact that Roll is more complex and fiddly. The parallel nature of Race is too strange when people are used to taking sequential turns.
>>
>>52413566

Interesting, didn't know that. To be fair I've never played it either, but heard it's very, very good, possibly enough to overlook balance issues. Where as, going back to my Vast and Cry Havoc examples, poor balance has inexorably stymied purchase decisions previously based solely on hype and word of mouth.

I should also clarify my point - a game doesn't have to have perfect balance to have longevity, but balance usually does facilitate strategies and metagaming which add to a game's longevity as opposed to it being a flash in the pan. I think BattleCON illustrates this well - there are no doubt tiers for the fighters but there's enough strategy there to keep playing the game for years.

>>52413949

Does a worker placement game require that the workers block other workers as part of its definition though? Many worker placement games allow for multiple opponent workers, and in the case of Viticulture even benefits them. There's action blocking to an extent but I find a lot of worker placements also find ways to circumvent that rule. Seems to me that worker placement is more of "place a meeple in a spot to indicate an action performed on a turn, and a turn is constrained by the number of meeples and/or the amount of spots".
>>
>>52413566
Like what exactly?
I know there's a slightly modified map and a Cultist ability change they've added to reprints, but I'm not aware of any other changes.
>>
>>52413949
Lrn2read, I didn't say Roll is sequential, I said it is easier to get a grip on for people used to sequential turns.
>>
File: pic1772936.jpg (83KB, 209x291px) Image search: [Google]
pic1772936.jpg
83KB, 209x291px
>>52395527
how's russian railroads?
i'm going to buy my first worker placement game but I don't want it too light
>>
>>52414176
I don't play the game, I just read about people complaining on BGG. You can google it if you really care.
>>
>>52414149
>Tiers in BattleCON
People are starting to figure those out too. We're not super sure other than Arec and Ottavia being Broken-tier, but Clive, Thessala, Rexan, Lessandra, Cherri, and Hepzibah are all seeming really good.
>>
>>52414196
Lrn2write
That statement sure as hell implies that race is parallel and roll is not.
>>
>>52414149
>Does a worker placement game require that the workers block other workers as part of its definition though?

Yes, ish. It doesn't have to be a flat out block, but it does have to limit the other players actions. In viticulture, only the first player gets to take the bonus spot, or in some games later players taking an action may have to pay extra to do so. If you are not impacting other players with your placement, its just resource management with workers being a resource.
>>
>>52412071
>While 3 years is extreme to determine if a game is worthwhile or not, it's also highly inadvisable to purchase based on hype or a select few reviewers talking the game up. See Vassal with Vast or Cry Havoc.
Just wait for the actual release then. Like seriously, once a game has been out for a month or two and people have it in their hands there will be enough information to actually make a decision on it. All you're saying is don't go buying games based on an argument from authority where one or two prominent reviewers get a pre-release copy of it and go gaga. Vasel in particular is frequently guilty of this. But once a game comes out and the general community gets access to it then there's multiple view points you can get a pretty good picture of its upsides and downsides.

And similarly, hype doesn't translate to BGG average ratings. There are games that come out that were majorly hyped which bombed in the ranking scale. Seafall, Vast and Cry Havoc were three such titles last year and the best of them hit rank ~300. When a game starts climbing the rankings that's because people are actually enjoying it. Now you can sit here and be a shitpiece and say that they're having badwrongfun but hype alone is not enough to get a game up the rankings or else Seafall, the single most hyped game of 2016, would have hit the top 100 and yet it never even came remotely close.

Additionally, games climb ranks based on a number of factors. Average ranking is just one of those factors. Recorded plays is another -- and this is one of the main reasons why legacy games (Pandemic, Gloomhaven) skyrocketed so quickly. Those style of games reward repeat plays and so people play the everloving shit out of them. I know I'm personally at 27 recorded plays of Gloomhaven, and there are people on the BGG forums who claim to be at 60-70.

To end a long effortpost, hype isn't enough for a game to climb the rankings. People have to actually enjoy playing the game for that to happen.
>>
>>52414438

I would agree that's a good inclusion for a worker placement definition.

>>52414459

I'm not the one who said wait 3 years to see if a game is good enough to purchase, and I'm sure the original poster was being facetious anyway. I know I will personally never buy a game early on Kickstarter or otherwise but I was simply trying to lay out a common sense middle ground for determining whether a purchase is worthwhile or not.

As far as BGG rankings go, I must admit I pay no attention to them, for better or for worse. My indicator of if I will enjoy a game or not is usually a combination of written reviews, watching playthroughs on Youtube if possible, and seeing community comments about rules, balance, strategies, etc. Most of which I'm unable to get from a Kickstarter.

And really, at the end of the day I couldn't care less if someone wants to buy a boardgame based on hype. It's almost infectious and I understand that. I also think very few people here actually buy into hype as well, but it still seems we get people yelling shill when someone wants to discuss a Kickstarter instead of laying out reasonable opinions about why the game isn't innovative or offers little value for money.

It also all comes down to your game group: if you guys have fun playing Betrayal or CAH, don't let some words on a screen make you believe you're not having a good time with friends.
>>
>>52396517
theseus: the dark orbit
>>
Can someone explain to me the appeal of all these fucking 'victory point' games. They all seem the same and equally boring. Numbers around a board, random shit in the middle. Shit like lords of water deep. Get resources, build some shit, get points, hope you have the most by the end. I mean, water deep has ways to fuck people over, but still. There was another one where you were supposed to build up a medieval style village though season, and had to 'fight' monsters at the end of each one. The last one I played was just the same shit with a different them. You just put shit on the board, get a thing, use it to get points, or build a thing to get points. My friends play the fuck out of these games, and I just don't see why they are fun. Its like you took the most boring parts of catan, dumbed it down, and took out most of the interaction, and made a game of it. I want to like these games, but am I missing something? I don't feel like im playing them wrong or anything.
>>
>>52416063
You're right, bro, it's much more """"fun"""" when grown men brainlessly roll dice and play pretend barbarians instead.
>>
>>52416063
If you don't like puzzling out the way to maximize you points in those type of games, then they just aren't for you, and thats Ok. You dont have to like every game, and people can like games you don't.
>>
>>52416264
More fun than playing pretend hedge fund managers.
>>
>>52416063
LoW is a babby tier euro where there's no heavy competition for worker slots and no real bad moves. It's palatable to many because it's easy to learn, you can't fuck up too much and it's free of analysis paralysis, but it's fairly boring if you expect any depth.
Try some heavier euros like Agricola, Puerto Rico or Terra Mystica. You won't be killing anyone's d00ds, but the interaction comes from watching what your opponents are doing and acting accordingly to shit all over their plans while benefiting yourself. The first few playthroughs of a euro might seem like group solitaire, but the better you know a game, the more you realize how you can't ignore others at all.
>>
>>52416310
>group solitaire
Thank you, that's a great way to describe the feeling. I mean if everyone's just gonna ignore/not be able to effect anything else, Id rather just go home and play sim city or something.
>>52416264
With as much time as some of these take up, id rather play something engaging like D&D or....literally anything else.
>>52416270
They just try to sell me on it so hard like its the best shit ever. I just don't get it. I get trying to maximize points, but I just find it boring. Iv'e herd them use the term 'worker placement' a lot, I guess I just don't like those kind of games. Sometimes we play things like kings of Tokyo, dixit, or telestrations, and I love the shit outta those games, but they seem to find them ok at best, and we don't always have the 4th or 5th person we need.
>>
>>52416264
Also to add to that, with something like D&D especially in a 'fight the guys' style game, I know its gonna be dumb and not to expect much.>>52416063 kinda games seem like they are trying to be way more than they actually are.
>>
>>52416521
>I mean if everyone's just gonna ignore/not be able to effect anything else,
That's not how these games work. You're just too dumb to see the obvious strategies. That's OK too, some people are more suited for head punching and ball kicking games instead of thinking games.
>>
>>52416591
Best think of these games as a kind of sport, which is what they are. It's OK if you don't get competitive activities, but really it's your own failing and not a problem with the activities themselves.
>>
>>52413472
If you do move home where there isn't a gaming scene then I'd definitely get the most out of where you're living now. The closest game store to me is an hour away and it sucks
>>
>>52416704
I play magic and fighting games competitively, I understand you want to beat the other players. But I don't understand why sitting on your ass doing fuck all to build things for points, is fun. I guess some people might like trying to maximize their resources, or get the resource first, but again when that's all the game is, I find it boring as fuck.
>>
>>52416704
Im not saying they are bad, Im just trying to figure out why people like them, and how I myself could like them. Right now I don't, and I would like to change that.
>>
>>52416791
>>52416832
Which games have you played, besides Waterdeep?
>>
>>52416521
>King of Tokyo
Dicechucking luckfest
>Dixit
Social Rorschach tests
>Telestrations
Lolrandumb group doodle guessing

Yeah, I see the problem.
You're a pleb.
>>
>>52416791
Depends, what games are you talking about here?
>>
>>52416791
>>52416832
These games are obviously not the kind of games that you enjoy, simple as that. You don't have to like every game that you play and I guarantee that there are people who don't like magic and/or fighting games. People have different tastes and it'd be foolish to assume that everyone would like the same kind of games. Nothing wrong with that, if you don't like the games your friends do, you don't have to force yourself to like them
>>
>>52416867
Kings burg and dwarven miner and on her majasties service. I liked the board moving aspect of the latter. >>52417051 dumb light hearted shit with friends is what I think of when I think board games. Most of the more serious stuff seems like a boring slogfest. At that point I'd rather play a war game like herosvape or something.
>>
>>52417980
Then just play heroscape and stop bitching about it
>>
>>52417980
You sound like a vegetarian spouting off about how overrated the bbq joint their friends rave about is.
>>
>>52416063
>>52417980
I find that almost all worker placement games with the notable exceptions of Argent: The Consortium and possibly Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem (haven't played that one but it's on my wishlist based on reviews) are as fun as watching paint dry on a wall, I wouldn't feel bad about not liking that genre of board games

I would recommend looking into Argent at the very least, if that doesn't interest you then no worker placement game will
>>
>>52418764

I've been wanting to get into Argent very badly. After playing BattleCON and Millennium Blades I can tell Brad Talton is a very talented designer.

Also, the only worker placement I've really enjoyed so far is Brew Crafters, but it helps that I immensely enjoy the theme. Have also played Viticulture (didn't like due to card draw randomness determining how you score) and Euphoria (didn't enjoy the set collecting aspects).
>>
>>52418906
Brad Talton didn't actually design it, it's done by Trey Chalmers. I'm looking forward to his next game for Level 99, Empyreal: Spells & Steam

part of what appeals to me with Argent is the weeb magical university theme, but the sheer amount of variability and interaction is what really seals the deal for me. my friend who runs a LGS that exclusively stocks Ameritrash absolutely loves Argent as well, but also can't stand other worker placement games
>>
Is there a pnp of ogre pocket? I've been interested in it since some anons mentioned it a few threads ago. The cheapest it's being sold for is $10 and while that's still cheap, it's three times msrp
>>
File: legendary.jpg (183KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
legendary.jpg
183KB, 500x499px
I just beat Red Skull with Hawkeye, Cyclops, Spiderman and Wolverine (trial setting) in Legendary.

Can you guys recommend me a challenging Scheme/Heroes/Villains setting for legendary to try next? For 2-3 players. Thanks
>>
>Argent The Consortium
dm this game looks dope
>Out of print and not on any online stores
freaking L99 games
>>
A couple threads back somebody recommended a good Lovecraftian LCG but I can't remember what it was called. Anyone know which it is?
>>
>>52422782
probably arkham horror the card game
>>
>>52422808
That's the one. There were a few so I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.
>>
>>52422843
Actually, another question for somebody who owns it... what all should I buy? Looks like there's a few packs and I don't know how much they'll add to the game.
itll be my first LCG.
>>
>>52421907
there's one copy available on BGG market for a reasonable price if you live in burgerland
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 393x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 393x960px
Are there any board or card games that can genuinely spook ya?
>>
>>52422929

You'll need one copy of the core, but you'll really want two if you want to either play with 3-4 players or do any kind of deckbuilding.

Beyond that, the Dunwich Legacy kicks off its own campaign, so start with the Dunwich Legacy box, then get the mythos packs in order. Current order of Dunwich Legacy packs is:
Miskatonic Museum
Essex County Express
Blood on the Altar (unreleased)
Undimensioned and Unseen (unreleased)
Where Doom Awaits (unreleased)
Lost in Time and Space (unreleased)

Only the core game needs multiple copies purchased, everything else includes full playsets of cards which should be fine for 2 players unless your classes overlap enough.

Finally, there are some standalone scenarios available on FFGs website which are supposed to be very good (I own them but haven't played them yet):
Curse of the Rougarou
Carnevale of Horrors

Get that wallet ready.

It should be noted that if you're money conscious you can purchase and play the packs out of order, and the rules on each scenario will tell you what to change to make it work. But if you really are money conscious I'd advise against an LCG anyway.
>>
File: 1490318244989.png (7KB, 322x263px) Image search: [Google]
1490318244989.png
7KB, 322x263px
>Hey anon, I played (board game)! It was pretty fun, you should buy it so we can play it!
>Have you ever heard of (board game)? Yeah? I was reading some reviews and apparently it's really good, buy it for us!
These fuckers don't even want to split the cost, what the shit
>>
>>52424296
>split the cost
How common is this? My group has never done this, instead we just tell each other what we plan to buy to reduce the amount of double purchases.
I can't imagine the logistics of determining ownership of a game purchased by multiple people if you should ever choose to stop being friends/move away etc
>>
>>52424296
I'm with >>52424332 I would never split the cost of a board game, that's just a nightmare waiting to happen. On another note, why are they asking you to buy a game instead of buying it themselves?
>>
>>52424332
Currently splitting the purchase for New Angeles across 4 people, we just agreed that whoever wants to play with the game in a different group to tell the others beforehand, and whoever's interested in owning it can just pay any of the others the amount we split for. It's easy now since we meet up in the same FLGS and part of the same Netrunner community, but I imagine if someone were to move away or stop playing, one of us would just pay him for his share. Any more than 4 is trouble waiting to happen though, unless they want to donate/store it at their FLGS or something.
>>
>>52424332
I'd never consider splitting the cost of a game unless it was something like a legacy game with a set amount of plays.
>>
File: fs3Lkmj[1].png (342KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
fs3Lkmj[1].png
342KB, 394x394px
>>52410710
I thought it seemed pretty strait forward. Not really an instructional video but not hard to figure out what was happening. At least in the short 1 season video, I didn't watch the full playthrough one.

But hey, they posted the rule book today
http://resources.cmon.com/RS_Rulebook_WIP.pdf
So you can judge for yourself now.
>>
>>52425024
>implying anyone could figure out what was happening in that video
>implying a "work in progress" is a real rulebook
holy shit dude ride the shill train harder
>>
What is the consensus on Doom 2016? Is there anything special about it or is it just about mindless action gameplay.

For the record, I also own level 7 omega protocol and its expansion.
>>
>>52425233
if you like the theme its a cool 1 v all dungeon crawler. if you don't then there are probably better options. like any licensed property theres no reason to spend as much as they charge if you don't already like the IP
>>
>>52425264
i should add: if you don't like the IP theres no reason to spend the money unless you like the look of the models
>>
>>52425264
>ke any licensed property theres no reason to spend as much as they charge if you don't already like the IP
Isn't Starcraft fairly unique in its mechanics and all the different modes you can play it in? I don't recall Forbidden Stars supporting 2v2.
>>
>>52425283
>i found one corner case where your example was wrong
what's your point?

there's a reason that game is out of print: it wasn't good enough to sell. sorry to scbg fanboys but them's the facts
>>
>>52425322
>there's a reason that game is out of print: it wasn't good enough to sell.
It's OOP because Blizzard doesn't like anything by another company being better than their current output.
>>
>>52425367
>trolling about video games outside of /v/ or /vg/
ok dude nice try, bye now
>>
>>52425388
>saying videogames are worse than boardsgames on /tg/
How is this bad?
>>
>>52425407
>talking about video games on /tg/
why waste your time or ours? point is this thread gets derailed enough. also they did not drop the license because the bg was better, they dropped it because it didn't sell because the game wasn't good enough. i know that ruffles feathers around here but facts are facts
>>
>>52423995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQXJmpwM4
>>
>>52424047
WEW! That is a little much.

I was thinking about just playing the game with one other friend and heard this particular LCG was really fun, not to mention I enjoy Lovecraft...

Would I get my money's worth in fun and replay value with just the core set?
>>
>>52425470
im not him but with only one core set you can do no deck building and therefore don't really get to experience the whole game. you need at least two to see what it has to offer because of course they want your money. but if you're really into lovecraft its probably worth it because its so story focused.
>>
>>52425505
Perhaps it'll be something on the backlog for now then. 80 bucks for two boxes of cards is a tad pricey for me, lovecraft or not. Heck, you can find the board games for about that price if not cheaper.

I'll have to keep searching for my horror /tg/ fix.
>>
>>52425589
i think elder sign is supposed to be something similar but with dice, but i don't know enough about that game to recommend or not so you should look it up
>>
>>52425692
Looks pretty neat, I'll have to watch a couple reviews but the price is definitely right.
>>
>>52425470
Take note that LCGs are not board games, regardless of the setup and premise of the AHLCG. The time expenditure and costs for getting into one are closer to CCGs instead of any board game. Stay away if you don't think you're willing to commit into it, as a lot of people realize too late.

As for a good Lovecraftian game though, try looking for either Eldritch Horror (globe trotting adventure of staving of the awakening of ancient evil), Mansions of Madness 2E (app driven game with multiple scenarios investigating a mandion), or ideally, a used copy of Mythos Tales (a rethemed Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, and is more or less choose your own adventure book where you piece together clues and deduce answers).
>>
>>52418764
I'm pretty sure only Uwe Rosenberg does worker placement right. I've player Lord of Waterdeep and Stone Age, and both were deeply flawed.

There really is a huge jump in quality between 'classic' boardgames and random boardgames that happened to be popular.
>>
>>52426084
>'classic' boardgames
Do you mean the games that got everything right, like Le Havre and Puerto Rico, from last decade, or do you mean shit like Monopoly?
>>
>>52425942
if he's talking about avoiding non board games steer clear of mansions of madness. its just an app game that costs more cuz they include a board and models
>>
>>52425174
>"Waaaaaaaah, kickstarter without a rulebook! What a scaaaaaam!"
>Posts rulebook for a WIP game
>"Waaaaaaaah! Why isn't it the 100% final rulebook!"
>>
>>52426271
spend your money on shit that is literally impossible to understand the quality of, i don't care and I'm not whining. I'm just pointing out facts. if that bothers you then you have to realize you're not mad at me, you're mad at reality. and only you, within yourself, can overcome that anger.
>>
>>52426319
>Impossible to understand
>We know everything at this point
I can understand if you were unable to follow the rather simple flow of the game from the raw footage of the game being played, but to make that claim at this point is just admitting you are completely illiterate.
>>
>>52426354
so you actually believe the final rulebook will look exactly like what we've been shown? like I said before we don't have any idea what the final product will be like. believe what you want, it's none of my business. i will not start attacking you personally, I'm simply pointing out to anyone interested in facts that we simply do not know what the final delivered product will be.
>>
>>52426422
I believe they'll mull over the wording of things and clarify stuff in the final rulebook. I don't believe the rulebook that ships with the game is going to be describing a drastically different game in some weird bait and switch conspiracy that benefits no one.
>>
>>52426467
im not suggesting a conspiracy and you know it. I'm suggesting that we do not know the final rules. thats all I'm saying. stop trying to imply that I'm making any other claim. why do facts seem to annoy you?
>>
>>52426526
No I don't know it. You're saying there's absolutely no way to know what the game is like based on the WIP rulebook. That's not assuming any just simple clarifications or minor tweaks, that's you assuming there's going to be some weird drastically different game at the end of development.
>>
>>52426559
technically speaking the game could turn out a lot of different ways. thats why they called it a wip. we don't know what the final rules will be despite the fact that the ks is close to closed. say whatever else you like but there is no way of knowing how the final game will turn out and you know it full well. or you're just ignoring reality. like i said, no skin off my nose but know what you're doing when you invest in ks.
>>
>>52426159
>thismemeagain.png
We get it luddite, you're scared of new things. No one is coming to take away your precious cardboard and paper so chill the fuck out and let other people enjoy not having to do mountains of paperwork just to play a game.
>>
>>52426583
And the odds of it being drastically different in this kinda a playable state is astronomically low and don't really benefit anyone, thus why I'm calling this idea a complete conspiracy. Yes, some things might change slightly, but you can't continue to say we know nothing about the game when they're currently showing us everything on the game.
>>
>>52426622
>thismemeagain.png
We get it, buddy, you're afraid of a stable existence. No one is coming to melt your precious plastic, friend. So chill the fuck out and let CMON have mountains of your paper money, guy. Just so you can play a poorly designed game with fancy stuff, gaylord.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 500x448px
So Robo Rally looks really fun but I have no idea which version I should get. The first edition looks miserable to track down, and I've heard the newest version was dumbed down and they removed some fun stuff.
>>
>>52426629
it would benefit everything who "designed" the game that basically just says "lol heres some plastic, negotiate with your friends while you stare at a map and gamble with fake money cuz we have all your real money"
>>
File: 1331791602217.jpg (37KB, 469x464px) Image search: [Google]
1331791602217.jpg
37KB, 469x464px
>>52426651
Why would it benefit them to completely rewrite a solid set of rules they already have? If you're approaching this from the "they're scamming us" route of take the money and run, then it would be most cost efficient to NOT revise the rulebook at all.
>>
>>52426705
>Why would it benefit them to completely rewrite a solid set of rules they already have?
He's not saying they will, he's saying they're putting a minimum of effort in the crunch since the fluff pulled in so much money anyway.
>>
>>52426749
The crunch is right there, it's a fuckin rulebook. A rulebook explaining a fully playable game. Everyone says they want to judge the game for the game and not the minis and there it is but now the complaint is that the rulebook is subject to change like they're going to completely throw out everything about the game. If you don't want it, that's fine, but it's absurd to say we don't know enough about the game at this point to make an informed decision. They would have to actively put work into deconstructing the game at this point to make it what he claims it's going to be.
>>
>>52426817
Not saying the crunch isn't there.
Saying it isn't adequate.
I'm a new guy, I was jsut saying why you're reacting to the wrong part of previous guy's post.
>>
>>52425264

What's the best dungeon crawler out there on the market right now in your opinion?
>>
>>52426645
Looks like the 2016 edition is only $22... I'm tempted to deal with the downgrades for that so long as they are game shattering.
>>
>>52426826
>The rules could change!
>Who would it benefit to change the rules?
>The designers!
>Why would they actively undo work they already did?
>Because they're going to put no work into making the game

I think you're kinda confused where this argument is coming from. The guy I'm talking to is saying the rules will change and his argument is you can't say you know enough about the game for that reason. Not that we know enough about the game and the game sounds like shit. That's a completely different argument.
>>
>>52426847
depends what you're looking for. i know that sounds like a cop out but its true. if you find something with a theme you really like that's your best bet. if you want something deep gloomhaven (even though its not strictly a dungeon crawler) if you want something hard thats pure co op castle ravenloft. if you want something kinda co op but kinda not then cutthroat caverns. descent is supposed to be good but I've never played.
>>
>>52426640
>implying I'd ever buy a CMoN game.
>implying I play games with mini's
>not understanding I'm just not a retard and can understand why people would want to have an app do the unfun work part of an ok game
wew lad, those are some mighty big assumptions you've got there.
>>
>>52426880
idk why i have to keep repeating this: we don't know what the rules to the game will be. we can hope they will be close to what they have released but we have no real way of knowing. who would it benefit to change them? the designers, because people could, potentially, tell them the rules are shit. they could then change them to be shittier thinking they are doing something positive. is it something that will definitely happen? no. is it still a possibility? yes. this isn't hard to grasp: WIP means not final by any definition. the point is people who see advertisements (which is what ks pages and WIP rulebooks are) and take them at face value are either very naive or just want so badly to believe in something that it blinds them.
>>
>>52426992
the app adds things that a board game could not provide. the puzzles it adds would not be possible to replicate because they are randomly generated every time. does that make the game better? maybe, but the point is its not so much a board game as an app game that charges you for a board and minis. if you're ok with that then more power to you, the game is fun. but don't try to claim its a board game that just handles book keeping because that is untrue
>>
>>52427016
I think it's a board game and an app which integrate each other desu.
>>
>>52427040
its an app that doesn't need a board, but provides one so they can charge you more. that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it, it just means you should realize that you're mainly playing on your phone
>>
>>52427003
You can't say we know nothing about the rules if we have the fuckin rulebook. Even in the unlikely event anything significant changes, we still know SOMETHING about the rules unless you're arguing that they're going to ship an entirely different game in some weird bait and switch conspiracy. 99% of what is likely to change is going to be wording because that's most of the work that goes into making the book part of the rules.
>>
>>52426127
(For me, at least)

The 'classic' games:
> "Here's a good opening, but be prepared to commit to an X strategy and doing Y and Z during endgame"

Merely popular games:
> "Hey all, our group had great fun playing this, where can I buy this and when's the kickstarter expansion?"
>>
>>52426159
>>52427016
This point has been brought up multiple times, but I wonder if you could actually play the game by proxying the board components with pen and paper and minis from other games or something. Would make for a decent argument against buying the physical components if you could, though I imagine if its anything like the Descent app it still relies on a lot of the components included in the box (learning the rules, monster stats, etc.).
>>
>>52427100
>we have the fucking rulebook
no we don't.
>unlikely event
how can you know it's unlikely? citation please.
>most work goes into wording
how do you know that? did you work on this specific rulebook?
I know I'm technically nitpicking you above, but the point is, like I've been saying, there is no reason to believe you know the rules to this game. Even if there is a slim chance they overhaul the entire ruleset the chance is still there and you could end up with something out of left field. That's the whole point I've been trying to make and you have literally zero facts to back up your claim that it would be a "conspiracy" if the rules ended up being drastically different. I get that you want to be optimistic and believe that the company (whose entire goal is to make money) will be honest and transparent with you, the consumer of their product, but the fact is that's not always the case.
>>
>>52427081
but it does need the board and other stuff in the box, you can't play the game without the pieces and info like >>52427134 pointed out. Sure, it COULD be made into a full video game, but so could every fucking board game bar some of the dexterity ones. That doesn't mean they should.
>>
>>52427134
the point that gets brought up is, since the app exists, they could have spent time programing that stuff into the app and not made people pay for the rest of the shit. they chose to make it a "board game" because they know cthulhu board games sell. notice how most board games don't release an app version until they've sold a bunch? its because the board game is a proof of concept and once they know it can sell enough copies that it has mass appeal and is worth making into an app. MoM just skipped the proof of concept part because they know cthulhu lovers would splooge their pants at the idea of the game without having to wait and see it happen.
>>
>>52427193
>>52427195
>>
>>52427157
This isn't an argument, this is an absurd hypothetical. This is arguing "They could not make the game, It's a thing that could happen, you can't say it couldn't!"

People asked for a rulebook, they delivered one, and you go "I don't believe you! This could all be lies!"
>>
>>52427195
you're assuming that everyone who enjoys the board game would also enjoy a video game version and purchase it. That simply isn't true, lots of people enjoy playing games in person with other humans and don't enjoy the solo or disconnected feeling you get from most vidya.

Also FFG is a board game publisher and their whole business is setup to facilitate that. They are not a video game studio and would likely have no idea how to make one successful enough to sustain them as a company. They are sticking to what they know and are "good" at (or at least profitable at).

There are a hundred much easier and lazy Cthulu themed idea's they could have shat out and probably enjoyed a higher profit margin on, but instead chose to go with the app integration. That's not being too lazy or greedy to make it a video game, that's an attempt at making something unique they hope will appeal to people enough to sell them the inevitable 50 million expansions which is their whole business model.
>>
>>52427258
they didn't deliver a final rulebook, they delivered a WIP rulebook which is not guaranteed to be the "real" rulebook. at a certain point you have to realize the only thing certain about the WIP rulebook is that there will be at least one change in it somewhere when it ships with the game. I don't get why you refuse to accept this, but I can tell it's useless talking to you anymore. I hope for your sake and the sake of your future coworkers that you're not pursuing a career that relies on your having any grasp of the concepts of logic and reasoning because they are clearly beyond you. Have a great day, anon. And happy gaming.
>>
>>52427134
You could in the same way you could play any game with enough pen and paper. Outside of spawning them occasionally though, the app does no inventory keeping, manages none of the player's conditions, and a lot of the tokens are completely outside of the app's hands after they spawn. The app manages what to spawn, tiles to place down and what is in those tiles, scripted events, and monster attacks/vague movements, It never knows where anything is after the spawn.
>>
>>52427291
lolwut
If you think the pitch for MoM was anything other than "here's an idea for an app, but we also include a board and minis because we're a board game company and it will rack up the price" then idk what to tell you. obviously they made it because they're a board game company but the point is it's a video game that includes a board. of course they could have just made it a board game if they weren't a board game company. of course it would have still sold and would have sold a bunch of expansions. but they made a board game so they could charge ten times the price and board games, especially cthulhu games, are trendy as fuck right now. it's not hard to grasp and idk why people sperg out when someone said it could have been a video game. of course it could have, its half a video game now. the reason MoM gets this criticism and other board games don't is that they already made the app part, why didn't they just make it an app so we could buy the base game for ten bucks or less and each expansion for five? the answer is no other reason than money. and that's fine, there's no reason people should enjoy it any less. but it's one of the only games out there that pushes the limit so far that people are going to frequently ask "why do I have to pay for the cardboard here when they could have sold me a ten dollar app?"

I get it, sincerely: the app makes the game better. Fine. I'm just pointing out why MoM gets this criticism more often than any other game when technically every board game in existence could have been a video game and I'm taking the stance that it is more video game than board game. That doesn't mean it's bad or they're indirectly stealing from you or people shouldn't play it at board game meet ups. It just means this thing is really close to not being a board game in my admittedly irrelevant opinion.
>>
>>52427339
*made it an app if they weren't a board game company
>>
>>52427294
Complaining for the sake of complaining. You want details, you get details, you complain that the details aren't solid enough despite presenting a fully functional game.
>>
>>52427339
as >>52427328 points out, it does fuck all besides managing what rooms and monsters spawn. That's a board game relying on an app for bookeeping, not a video game requiring you to buy an expensive box for the rules.

They most likely thought "we need more shekels and MoM is due for a reprint. How do we make it easy enough to play that casuals can enjoy it?" and thus made the app to automate the overlord role. It's clearly working since they have already released one for Descent 2.0 and I hear there's one in the works for Imperial Assault as well. You can't tell me those are video games with a secret scam to steal my money by hiding the rules in a box with cardboard and miniatures.
>>
>>52427339
I think the pitch for MoM was "Hey, we put a lot of work into MoM and fucked it up by making setup take forever and making 1 player have a very unfun bookkeeper job. Apps are a thing, lets make an app take the bookkeeping."

The game is different but not that different. It's still like 80% MoM rules and the app was made specifically to address issues people had with the former weakest member of the Arkham Horror set of games they were making.
>>
>>52427383
I literally wrote that I was not claiming that they were indirectly stealing your money so idk why that was your concluding statement, faggot. But ya of course they just wanted to dumb it down and of course people for some reason are willing to pay a fuckload of money for an app that comes with a bunch of cardboard because it's the only way to get it. If they had simultaneously released an app only version who would be dumb enough to pay for the real thing? And you apparently missed my whole post about why this game is different considering the app was ready at launch. This is not to mention the apps for descent and IA do different things than the MoM app. Someday you will learn to comprehend what you read, and I'd love to chat with you online on that day. But it is surely not today.
>>
>>52427403
>we put a lot of work into MoM
is this what some people really believe? it's by far the least imaginative lovecraft game and that is saying a hell of a lot considering pandemic:cthulhu exists
>>
>>52427403
then why didn't they just release an app to fix MoM 1? idiots pay shekels when they are told something is new
>>
File: 1465845131937.gif (2MB, 395x313px) Image search: [Google]
1465845131937.gif
2MB, 395x313px
>>52427436
That's nice but not the discussion we're having.
>>52427464
Because 80% isn't 100%. This is a second edition, there were some nice changes that general come with the move from a first edition to a second edition aside from the app.
>>
>>52426159
>in the original mansions of madness you had to draw cards from an attack deck until you FINALLY found one that matched your weapon
>in new mansions of madness you tell the app what weapon and it picks the right sort of attack for you
>somehow this is a downgrade
ok
>>
>>52427436
>it's by far the least imaginative lovecraft game
Do you mean unimaginative in that it's the closest to actual lovecraft stories (a handful of people wandering around an old house/single location with bad things happening to them) or do you mean unimaginative rules wise?

>>52427403
>fucked it up by making setup take forever and making 1 player have a very unfun bookkeeper job.
I played MoM1ed as both the keeper and as an investigator and it was perfectly possible for the game to be fun as the Keeper, the issue is that scenario balance wasn't perfect and a lot of the game's "fun" was based on how you played. Sometimes you would find yourself in a position as keeper to win the game quite early on, but if you wanted the whole group to have more fun you would find yourself holding back so as to give the other investigators a chance, which is just not how a 1vAll game should work.
Set up WAS a chore, you're right there.
>>
Has anyone played Here I Stand? It looks interesting. A must have for a wargame fan?
>>
>>52427705
I'd hazard a guess and say you are in the vast minority in not minding being the Keeper in MoM.
>>
Just to chime in on the WIP rulebook discussion upthread, the rules for the Dark Souls board game serves as an example as to why you shouldn't rely on the WIP version to reflect the rules for the final product, albeit it's definitely for the better in this particular case.
>>
>>52425174
It may just be me but I feel like if you're pitching an idea on kickstarter to be funded, the project should be done mechanically
>>
>>52426859
I've always wanted to try out robo rally if that means anything. What did they dumb down in the remake of the game?
>>
>>52425233
I don't think there's too much overlap between the two. L7:OP is fairly deliberately and tactical, DOOM is very fast for a dungeon crawler, but has proportionally much less depth.
>>
>>52425322

It is not that it didn't sell. Blizzard wanted mainstream risk or monopoly numbers. That being said, it didn't help that the expansion, which elevates the game, was not available widely enough.

If the game wasn't that good, why did FFG used so many similar mechanics in Forbidden Stars?
>>
>>52429028

My meeting interest in Doom is from finding a barely used second hand copy for half the MSRP. Trying to decide if I should invest in it or go for another crawler like TMNT or that new Batman game that is going to be based on Conan system.
>>
>>52426651
CMoN actually sells their games on the market. You can find Blood Rage, Arcadia Quest, Zombicide etc etc. on store shelves in just about any FLGS anywhere. If they were one of those companies who only produced games for KS then sure, they'd have an incentive to cop out on the actual game once the money was delivered, but their business plan very clearly involves making money at market too so there's still incentive for them to make their games as good as they can.
>>
>>52419690
Anyone know?
>>
>>52427985
Haven't played (GMT games are super hard to find in LatAm) it but Here I Stand and Virgin Queen get nothing but high praise. Heavy games, would definitely try them.
>>
>>52428264
Dark Souls didn't have a rulebook at kickstarter.
>>
>>52425322
The game is out of print because of licensing issue. They did a revamp of the game with Forbidden Stars.
>>
>>52419690
>>52429480
About the only thing you're going to find in the 'PnP' arena is actual torrented copies of the game (look for 'Microgames' torrents). And by the time you print out the chits on decent card stock, and print out a map, odds are good that you've spent more than $10 AND all the time / effort on top of that to print it out.
>>
>>52430917
>The game is out of print because of licensing issue.

Yes, it wasn't selling well enough to justify the cost of the license for the Starcraft IP. The rules weren't awful - that's why FFG retreaded them for the Forbidden Stars game.
>>
>>52395527
>Who's your favorite designer?
Vlaada Chvátil is a cool guy. There's some designers who have multiple hits, but Vlaada is one with a lot of neat designs and really mixes it up.
>What game in your collection has the best art?
That's a tough one. I'd probably have to say Time Stories just for the raw detail on everything, but I kinda like Seasons and their art style the most.
Seafall this weekend. Things continue to snowball out of control as one country discovers all the islands because explore and research especially is way more powerful than anything else. Played a game of Mansions of Madness afterwards which was fun but everyone was a little too tired for it seemed like. Got friends coming over today, and with 4 players we could but out a lot of things. Choosing between a game of Scythe and a game of Seasons.
>>
>>52430959
Oh well, thanks anon
>>
>>52429394
It's possible for a bad game to have some neat mechanics, if everything else drags it down enough.
I think the Crossroads cards in Dead of Winter is great, but the rest of the game isn't very good.
>>
>>52405325

BGG has more "old" games getting highly rated and talked about than any other site. So what you're seeing is "everywhere is ruled by cult of the new". BGG slightly less so.
>>
>>52408240

There's only 10k copies of the game ine existence, so even if you believe there are 152500 unique and active BGG users theres no way most of them have played the game. Rating a game you haven't played is way more autistic than liking a game.

And again, Gloomhaven has the highest uncorrected rating. Do you think other games don't have their own "autists"? Gloomhaven's rating is sky high because its really fucking good.

Don't worry slowpoke, you can order a copy next week if you can afford it.
>>
>>52432180
Hey, retard, let me explain this again: there are 2500 autists who really like Gloomhaven, but at the same time there are also 150000 slightly more normal people who would have rated it a 5 **if** they had a chance to play it. Like you said -- only 10000 Gloomhaven games are in existence, so the pool of people rating it is, necessarily, statistically biased as motherloving fuck.

> Gloomhaven's rating is sky high because its really fucking good.
No, it's sky high because it fills an extremely nichy niche. The ratings system self-selects so only the "special" people who are already predisposed to liking Gloomhaven rate it.

In general, the better a game is, the more widely it is played, and the more widely it is played the lower its ratings on average. (Because more retarded normies end up rating it.)

BGG ratings are bullshit.
>>
>>52427661
nowhere did i suggest it was a downgrade in the post you quoted
>>
>>52432432

did you just finish philosophy 101?
nothing really matters huh?

every game on bgg is nichy niche and self-selected. my first coment in this thread said that people have gotten better at self-selecting.

your argument would mean trivial pursuit or monopoly would be good games because theyve been widely played and therefore have lower ratings.

the only retards here are your fucking parents for doing such a shitshow raising you.
>>
>>52429463
You obviously don't understand how companies that rely on huge preorder numbers work. The whole point is they get enormous amounts of preorders. They make the game expensive and the components high quality. People get the game, see how cool it looks, play it the first time and rate it high online. Then everyone else sees that a ton of people bought it and said it was worth the cost. This makes more people buy it. The game could be mediocre and CMON will make a killing and everyone in the world will still suck Eric Lang's dick because they run a great business, not because they make great games.
>>
>>52432839
the crazy thing is there are a lot of problems with the bgg rating system, it's almost universally accepted. but >>52432432 makes no fucking sense and that's weird because it's so easy to point out the flaws that actually exist
>>
>its a /bgg/ care what other fatty autists think episode

Anyone else here played Dragon Punch? I got it in the mail today and it's pretty fun desu. Easy to teach too
>>
>>52432864
Still autistically screeching I see.

There's no reasoning with idiots like you.
>>
>>52432955
>have nothing productive to say
>better use memes
have a great day, friend
>>
>>52432936
never heard of it, just looked it up. looks interesting, like a quicker/easier battlecon
>>
>>52432839
>>52432908
Holy fuck, you people really are incapable of grasping abstract reasoning, so let me give a concrete example.

Imagine they released a My Little Pony-themed exclusive collector's edition Monopoly. Do you doubt for a second that there are at least 3000 bronies out there who will rate it a straight 10 on BGG?

Does this mean Brony Monopoly a great game? No, it doesn't. It just means that there are enough bronies out there who will upvote the most retarded brony shit.

Same deal with Gloomhaven.

One of the ingredients to being a great game is wide popularity. (One, not the only. Monopoly is widely popular but still shit.)

P.S. Now, BGG actually realizes this fact and uses popularity in figuring their "adjusted" ratings, it's just that the formula they use is pretty broken.
>>
>>52432936
I PnP'd it and didn't like it very much.
>>
>>52432432
>but at the same time there are also 150000 slightly more normal people who would have rated it a 5 **if** they had a chance to play it.
I'm going to counter your completely baseless assertion with actual lived experience.

15 people have played my copy of Gloomhaven including myself. None of them had heard of the game beforehand. All of them have loved it. Two of them, in fact, don't even play board games -- they were significant others of friends of mine whom their SO convinced them to play this awesome game called Gloomhaven. Both of these women now want to own the game to play with their SO at home.

The game is on fire because it is in fact that fucking good. Even normies love it. So no, your baseless assertion that the general public would universally rate it a 5 is just that -- totally baseless and not borne out in actual experience.
>>
>>52432977
I had something to say. You responded to it by vomiting bullshit all over the thread. And now I no longer have anything to say to you. You have no interest in actually considering anything that doesn't cater to your confirmation bias.
>>
>>52433229
> People you're friends with have similar tastes to yours
Sheeeiit, like, mind blown.
>>
>>52433455
Most of those people are randoms at the local board game club. A good number of them I didn't know their names before they played. (That's actually why the number is so large -- most people play GH with a stable group of 4 people but I bring it to club meetings and whoever sits down to play sits down to play. It still works really well with that style of drop-in / drop-out play.)

So no, try again.
>>
>>52433455
that guy has posted that same post a few times, its pasta only he uses. don't feed him or he won't go away
>>
>>52433455
Hey, not that guy but that's actually a little rare in my group. My boardgame friends are all over the place and only keep coming back to me because I give them all fair chances at their games. It's rare everyone in my group will like a game. Friend 1 likes economic games and grand strategy games, friend 2 likes heavy euros and war games, friend 3 likes thematic games and coops, friend 4 likes abstracts and card games, so on and so on.

I don't expect any game to be a hit with everyone. I've built a collection with a variety of games in mind for the sake of that, but it's always a treat when a game seems to work well across the entire group.
>>
>>52433229
>anecdotal evidence provided anonymously on the internet proves things
wew
>>
>>52433672
>pasta
>includes direct references
>has never been posted before
Out of arguments already?

>>52433697
It's certainly a fuck of a lot stronger than completely baseless bullshit posted by idiots who constantly accuse masses of people of having badwrongfun.
>>
>Gloomhaven sperg is at it again
This dude is literally here everyday.

Get a job mate.
>>
>>52433858
>Cult of the new fag is here again
Get some tastes you fuckin hoarder.
>>
>>52433858
I haven't posted in this thread in two weeks.

Does it surprise you to learn that more than one person likes a game? Or does that fact invalidate your ridiculous conspiracy theory you use to justify your belief that anything popular must also be bad?
>>
>>52433858
Maybe he needs validation for the fact that he spent $200 on a watered-down RPG experience when the much better real deal can be had for $20.

Boardgame/RPG crossover attempts are silly.
>>
>>52433758
that middle paragraph I've read about ten times, shill harder
>>
>>52433938
>conspiracy
what is with you and not understanding the meaning of that word? dont stop though, i lold
>>
>>52434098
http://bfy tw/AvgX
>the only result is this thread
Try harder idiot. I literally just typed that up.
>>
>>52434206
lol sure thing bro. you seem like a great guy and I'm sure you have nothing but the best intentions. there are probably one or two people who enjoy being around you, maybe even a few more who are willing to pretend so you play your overpriced games with them. but i can guarantee no one here believes your bullshit or thinks you are a positive force on this board.

have a great day :^)
>>
>>52433017
It sort of is. A little more trashy instead of overly complex though.
>>
File: coins.png (422KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
coins.png
422KB, 600x600px
Thinking of getting pic related to my Talisman board game. We play a lot, and the money isn't the big issue, I just thought it would enhance our gameplay a bit more.

Hell, I even thought of a fun little system to go with it, tell me what you thin;

>No character can carry more coins than double the amount of players in the game.
>When getting paid, you always get the largest currency available. So a character "earning" 4 coins would take a 3 and a 1, and so forth.
>When you get robbed (by either loosing a combat, or getting properly mugged) the attacker picks a coin!

See, this way, the currency gets its own little mini expansion to the game. Because lets face it, it never was that much of a treat to steal 1 gold from a character when you could pick from all the other options. To be frank, the gold gets rated less than taking a life, unless you just wanted to be nice and not kill another character. This way however, you could earn yourself some good money with one swift blow.

Combined with the City expansion, I hope this will be a real treat for my players.
>>
>>52434707
Scythe metal coins are pretty great. They light which is the 1 disappointment, but they have a pretty cool design and they're clear and colorful without coming off as cartoony toys.
>>
File: FCSET_1016_hs0s-rf.jpg (1MB, 1200x1356px) Image search: [Google]
FCSET_1016_hs0s-rf.jpg
1MB, 1200x1356px
>>52434707
I love me some Hegemonic coins. They do add a bit of enjoyment to the economics of the game.
>>
>>52433023
>Imagine they released a My Little Pony-themed exclusive collector's edition Monopoly. Do you doubt for a second that there are at least 3000 bronies out there who will rate it a straight 10 on BGG?

Yes. Yes I do.

Because there are LOTS of themed versions of popular mainstream games. Firefly Clue. Harry Potter Clue. Star WarsMonopoly.

Bigger fanbases than MLP.

NONE of them are rated well on BGG. In either adjusted or non-adjusted ratings.

So try a-fucking-gain
>>
>>52435441
those look awesome, where'd you get them?
>>
>>52435575
>NONE of them are rated well on BGG.
Except for Star Wars shite, and Doom shite, and Cthulhu shite, and zombie shite, and, and....
>>
>>52435697

There are LOTS of Star Wars games. There's a few of them at the top of the rankings.

Maybe its because theyre good?

SHOCKING.
>>
>>52435591
They were released by Minion games and are still available on their web store...

http://www.miniongames.com/store/accessories.html
>>
>>52435753
>There's a few of them at the top of the rankings.
Yes, only the "exclusive" ones.

>Maybe its because theyre good?
No, its because fanboys will upvote any game in their preferred shitty setting but only if it's expensive and "exclusive" enough to score street cred among the fanbase.
>>
>>52419767
pls respond to this
>>
>>52436046
Sorry anon but you'd probably be better off asking on bgg or (((((leddit))))) I never really see anyone talking about the legendary games here
>>
>>52419767
>>52436046
So anon legendary encounters is my jam. The alien set is super hard core. I've never played the marvel one but my research says the GotG set is fun and adds a new mechanic. I hear they are op outside their set tho
>>
File: hunt for the ring.jpg (84KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
hunt for the ring.jpg
84KB, 960x720px
>two part game hobbiton->bree and bree->rivendell
>don't have to be played back to back
>not legacy, but possible to save your state for part 2 if you want to split it into multiple sessions
>if it sells well they'll add more chapters
I hope this is as good as sounds, because I can't get anyone to sit down for 3hrs to play War of the Ring, but a 90 minute session is possible.
>>
>>52438615
i need to see way more about this game before i pass any judgment. there isn't a rulebook or play through video I'm not aware of somewhere is there?
>>
>>52439909
No they just announced it recently, I'm pretty wary myself, but it's by the War of the Ring/5 Armies designers working in a team with the guy who made Letters from Whitechapel. That's a pretty good pedigree, though Seafall was supposed to be a solid game since it was Davieau building a new world to legacy, and that turned out to be junk. Also I'm really hoping the minis pictured aren't final production copy.
>>
What was the best game of twilight struggle you ever had?
>>
>>52435833

All this fighting against good games for no discernible reason. Considers FF games "Exclusive" because of their expense.

Why didn't you just say you're a poorfag from the beginning so we could all laugh at you.
>>
>>52440020
imo pedigree means nothing in board games, although i think I'm in the minority
>>
>>52440143
I think overall you're right there, but a few designers exist who you know what you're getting. I mean I pick up a Knizia design I know it'll be ok, prolly pretty tight with one or two minor quibbles, and a bit abstracted. I grab a Bauza game it'll be fun for casuals even if the design isn't balanced, and likely weeb flavored.
>>
>>52440283
>know what you're getting
thats the thing though. you might know the kind of game they're designing but it could be a game that is similar to everything they've done but sucks. another reason i don't do ks campaigns for board games. you have no idea what you're getting
>>
>>52440045
None, I've never played it I have no one who would play it with me and the nearest FLGS is an hour away ;_;
>>
>>52440384
Fair enough, I don't buy without playtesting anyhow so I get where you're coming from. Either way I like what I'm seeing on paper from Ares, and when I get the chance to try it out I'll know for sure.
>>
>>52402989

I would recomend Tzolk'in which is a great worker placement where the spots you put your workers are moving from turn to turn allowing you to take greater rewards if you manage to wait it out.

Or The Voyages of Marco Polo from the same designers of Tzolk'in, it is a dice placement game with variable powers. You're rolling your dice at the start of your turn and then in turn order each player chooses an action to use those dice until all dice are spent. The variable powers are really strong in this game and change a lot how you play.
>>
File: Rising-Sun.jpg (150KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Rising-Sun.jpg
150KB, 1024x1024px
Not trying to start a fight (but I probably will anyway), but are there any strong opinions on this freakin' thing? I'm seriously considering dropping a c-note on backing it to get all the goodies. Wondering if said $100 would be better spent on Forbidden Stars.
>>
>>52440839
Oh boy, you gone done it, anon.

Bracing for impact.
>>
>>52440839
forbidden stars will only go up in price over time. rising sun will only go down
>>
>>52440955
Is forbidden stars worth the money though?
>>
>>52440955
This is a fair point, but it's not what's been stopping me. The simple fact is that painting those figures will be WAY TOO HARD, and if I own it, I won't be happy of they're not painted. Botching the paint job on Blood Rage has been humiliating enough.
>>
File: FS Minis.jpg (131KB, 718x433px) Image search: [Google]
FS Minis.jpg
131KB, 718x433px
>>52441412
Reviews of FS have been universally laudatory that I've seen, with the single caveat that it can be a long wait between turns while other players engage in combat.

No word on RS yet. It's kinda what I was hoping to glean from the other anons. The toys are groovy and all, but if they're only in service of a mediocre game, I can pass.

FS minis are nothing to sniff at, either, though...
>>
>>52440868
I've noted that KS can be a subject that leads to some contention amongst our /tg/ brothers and sisters. It could just be wrong impression, though.
>>
>>52441684
>I won't be happy of they're not painted
The biggest problem I've had since coming back to the hobby over 6 years ago is all the side hobbies/jobs I've had to pick up over the years that I'm not quite good enough at for my OCD/perfectionism.

Side note: to the anon who wanted updates on the Mario Kart X-wing map, I've got two tracks figured out one uses the original Rainbow Road, going to make it Nebula Nexus, lack of guard rails is simulated by ionizing if you go off track into the nebulae, you can reset after one ionized turn, hitting map edge = death. Another map using Bowser Castle 3, where it's going to be a trench run, with hard walls causing damage/death, and the jumps in the original track being turret arcs. Prolly gonna get started on Nebula as it'll be easier to paint next week after I'm back from heading down to WYC.
>>
>>52441412
i love fs personally. its a game that gives you a lot of control of your faction but has random elements that make things controllable but different every game
>>
>>52441758
>FS minis are nothing to sniff at, either, though...
Keep in mind it's all bullshots. All the pictures are resin masters; detail will be significantly worse in the PVC final models.

As for the game... they did a terrible job of selling it in the gameplay video they made. The people were just insufferable and nobody ever seemed like they were even enjoying it. It's mechanically solid, but the only thing really differentiating it from other entries into its already crowded genre is its alliance mechanic -- which honestly feels pretty airy and weightless. Maybe they just used it terribly but it honestly seemed like being allied was actively detrimental for the majority of the game because there's no actual reason to work together.

It doesn't really grab me, but I'm open to playing it once it comes out -- maybe I'll be wrong. It's just yet another entry into a really crowded genre whose gimmick doesn't seem particularly appealing. Granted I felt (and still do feel) the same way about Blood Rage, and look how that's progressed...

>>52441791
It's not just KS. It's basically anything moderately recent runs the risk of triggering some random idiot.
>>
>>52442384
you quoted him saying fs which is forbidden stars but the rest of your post sounded like it was talking about rising sun. i think you may have gotten your acronyms confused
>>
>>52442460
Derp, you're right. I was referring to the Rising Sun minis in the first sentence.
>>
>>52442460
He is shitstarter baker, after all.
>>
>>52442587
wut?
>>
>>52442384
>and look how that's progressed...
And how did it progress?
>>
Went to an event at a random shitty café last night to play a seemingly rather new game.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194879/not-alone

If we do not count the fact that I wanted to KILL the guy on my left because he was "notplaying" (always talking left and right with outsiders, never paying attention to the damn game), I'd say it's a fun game. The guy playing the Creature was pretty good and we almost got our asses kicked (actually, he was 1 point away from winning) but we somehow managed to stall the situation for 3 turns at that point.
At the last turn, I'd everything ready: by casting the River card the turn before, I was able to play both of my Location cards and then get back the very card the Creature decided to search in. Also, by casting a card preventing the beast from casting a Hunt card, and with another player casting a cast preventing the Creature token from having any effect, we pretty much cheesed our way through victory, though it was kind of a hopeless situation.

Fun, but I wish I had tested it in better conditions. That said, it's one of those games that would have probably been better if the makers had not been cheap fucks and created a board for it instead of making it card-only (aside from the "Astronauts vs. Creature" scale.
>>
>>52443898
Oh and the art is rather shit.
>>
>>52441758
>>52442189
How accessible is fs to normies because that's what my gaming group consists of?
>>
>>52443917
The art's not great.
It's entirely impossibly to take the ayylmao chip seriously.
But the game is pretty damn fun.
>>
>>52440045
I don't know about best game, but I've had a game where we played for 3-4 hours only for my opponent to play War Games just when the momentum was swinging my favour. I was so sure I was going to win, but I probably wouldn't have anyway. Was fun.
>>
So I just picked up the base set of neuroshima hex 3.0. What am I in for guys? I watched some reviews but and it looks good but what's it like actually at the table?
>>
File: memoir_elements2.jpg (99KB, 1024x519px) Image search: [Google]
memoir_elements2.jpg
99KB, 1024x519px
I played two games of Memoir 44 with 3 of my mates who never played board games apart from stuff like Monopoly and Cluedo and holy shit its fucking fun.
We played two man teams with standard scenarios and slightly dumbed down overlord rules where we conferred on which cards to use and each person controlled a single flank while the center was joined effort. Gonna start playing with expansions next, probably Eastern Front and Pacific first, then introduce the Air Pack.
>>
>>52445763
Reasonable, there's several "how to plays" on YouTube and you can probably still find a copy of the rule book somewhere to help you judge though.
>>
File: IMG_1274.jpg (32KB, 314x469px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1274.jpg
32KB, 314x469px
>tfw the stars align and board game night finally happens
Got to play Archipelago, mfw.
>>
>>52446189
Its fine. Not perfect, but fine. Play duel, 3+ player games suck arse.Rules are pretty easy in core set, but will become more clusterfucked in the expansions.
>>
New thread up early so it doesn't die while I'm gone
>>52446860
>>52446860
>>
>>52442384
Thanks, anon. Your analysis very much jives with mine, but I wanted validation for some reason. On further thought, I'm going to skip it. You're quite right that it's more of the same, and I don't think that that should be rewarded (although when the name of your company is initials for Cool Mini Or Not, I guess that you're stuck with that sort of thing).

Forbidden Stars it is. Also, I have no other Warhammer in my collection, so I might as well have one...
>>
>>52446508
It's a mid-weight game. Don't play it as an introduction to boardgaming for noobs, and bear in mind that it's one flaw is significant down time between turns.
>>
>>52440449
I've heard only good things about the Steam version of the game, might be worth a try
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.