[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ 5th Edition D&D General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 395
Thread images: 46

File: Cloud_Giant.jpg (204KB, 806x950px) Image search: [Google]
Cloud_Giant.jpg
204KB, 806x950px
>New Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana: Traps
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58c9c76c849a

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
>>52208290
>>
File: lestoil.jpg (223KB, 1148x1448px) Image search: [Google]
lestoil.jpg
223KB, 1148x1448px
I dunno what's going on in this morality argument anymore, I just want to say that I stopped after winning 100 or so posts ago and you're all faggots for still not understanding the very simple rules of objective morality settings.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12544152

Wizard poll lads, after an extremely close warlock poll.
>>
File: Don't get sick.jpg (19KB, 500x719px) Image search: [Google]
Don't get sick.jpg
19KB, 500x719px
> It's "OP is too intelligent to include a question in the opening post" episode
It's been a while since artificer was released. Now that the dust has settled, how do you feel about it? Have you actually tried it? Do you want to? What changes would you make to it, which subclasses does it lack?
>>
>>52211053
I think it's just 3-4 of us with one guy arguing that there's always a third option and one guy trying to prove that there isn't, and two more yelling at the first guy.
>>
File: Crystal.jpg (4KB, 333x187px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal.jpg
4KB, 333x187px
Rate my setting, /5eg/
There are five Kingdoms, each with a Giant Magic Crystal of a distinct color that is used to keep the society running. Each Main Crystal can be broken into smaller chunks (Where the bigger half will regenerate into it's full size) for smaller cities, or small shards are broken off of the Main Crystal for nobility.

The Crystals let this continent work as an Adventure style world. Touching the crystals "expands your competence when the time is right" (Lets you level up when you got enough XP), so it's extremely important for Adventurers, but also the world around them. Societies are shaped around who has access to Crystals, as the higher level you are, the better you are. Entire towns can succeed or fail depending on whether they were deemed worthy enough to have a Crystal Chunk or not.

Everyone believes that the Crystals were the God's gift to their world, and that each Crystal represents one of the Five Goddesses (Basically homebrew Gods I put in that are just one tier above the standard DnD Gods).

But in reality, the God's Gift on the world is cloaking the entire continent in a layer of magic that makes it undetectable to the outside world.

The outside world is FIRMLY Magitek, whereas the Player Continent is firmly standard fantasy. The Crystals are remnants of the Engine of a Capital-Class Airship that crash-landed on the continent thousands of years ago, which created the large crater-like Lake in the center of the landmass. Over the years the debris corroded and dissipated, except for the Crystals, which were jettisoned from the Engine Shaft to prevent an explosive reaction when the Airship made contact with the ground.

The truth is, when you get all five Crystals into proximity with each other, they create a source of energy that can be used to create Anti-Gravity, and thus, Airships. It's being hinted at with a current boss who's ability is controlling Animated Weaponry via crystal chunks with slight antigrav.
>>
File: Zombie.jpg (76KB, 351x234px) Image search: [Google]
Zombie.jpg
76KB, 351x234px
I'm making a homebrew race of sentient undead for my setting and I'd like feedback on the balance of it. I got a bit of the inspiration from the revenant UA but I wasn't a huge fan of some of the features.

Undead Body: Because of your lifeless body, you do not require to eat, drink, or breathe. You do not need to sleep but you do need time to rest and recover. After eight hours of light activity, you can gain the benefit of a long rest. You are also immune to disease, poison, and the poisoned condition.

Necrotic Blood: Instead of blood, necrotic energy keeps your body moving. Healing magic does not affect you but you are immune to necrotic damage. In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against spells from the Necromancy school.

Already Dead: You cannot fail death saving throws unless the failure is the result of damage. You still roll for death saving throws as normal, but you ignore any rolls of 9 or lower.

Replacement Parts: Your body can regenerate and adopt other body parts as it's own, allowing you to fill wounds with flesh or replace a missing limb with one off of a dead body. As an action, you can heal hit points equal to 2d6 + your constitution modifier. This amount increased to 3d6 at 5th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 17th level. You must be near a dead humanoid of medium size whose anatomy is roughly similar to yours. You regain use of this feature after a short or long rest.

Another Life: Your experiences in your previous life affect you in your new one, regardless of whether you consciously remember them or not. You gain proficiency in one skill or artisan tool of your choice.

Is this balanced? I'm not as worried about the first and second feature as much as I am of Already Dead and Replacement Parts. Replacement Parts is a fairly strong self-heal ability but the race already can't be healed by magical means, so they have to get something somewhere besides their hit dice.
>>
>>52211079
Well, I guess three of you are gay, because there's always another option. I would argue the point further but I try to limit my alignment shitposting to two threads per day.
>>
>>52211091
I'm sorry, anon, but it's fucking garbage. Please compare it to dwarves and see what you did wrong.
>>
>>52211053
What the goddamn fuck are you dribbling about?
>>
File: ferret.gif (2MB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
ferret.gif
2MB, 400x269px
>>52211081
I dig it.
>>
>>52211081
Your game will end before any of this ever comes up
>>
Right, off to work now.

Remember, kids: When the DM is trying to force your Good character to make Evil decisions, and keeps whining when you keep coming up with ways to avoid making Evil decisions, you're not a bad player. Your DM is just shitty.

Also remember: Schoolbuses traveling at about 45 mph hitting the brakes will come to a complete stop in about 5 seconds after skidding about 165 feet. Please keep this in mind when faced with a moral dilemma of blowing up either a tunnel or a school bus.

Though also keep in mind that *maybe* dying when hitting a pile of rubble or skidding and turning over, is still better than *certainly* dying when your bus is hit by an RPG.
>>
>>52211162
Oh, just shut your face.
>>
>>52211116
I don't understand your point. I'm not seeing any resemblance to the design of the dwarf besides +2 CON and the poison resistance/immunity. Dwarves are already on the stronger end of races and there are plenty of reasons why you'd pick a dwarf over a fleshwalker, so if your point is that fleshwalkers are just better dwarves then I have to disagree.
>>
File: 1465346839070.gif (2MB, 512x321px) Image search: [Google]
1465346839070.gif
2MB, 512x321px
>>52211176
lol no u.
>>
>>52211162
>When the DM is trying to force your Good character to make Evil decisions, and keeps whining when you keep coming up with ways to avoid making Evil decisions, you're not a bad player. Your DM is just shitty.
Thanks, friend. I always knew Jeff was a little shit.
>>
>>52211081
Final Fantasy ripoff plus random capitalization equals shit/10
>>
>>52210787
I am doing Storm King's Thunder, I should of said.

Also, I've had a bad experience with that adventure as my DM TPK'd us for going off book & then left because we weren't following it to the letter.
>>
>>52211081
>Touching the crystals "expands your competence when the time is right" (Lets you level up when you got enough XP)

This I do not like. Too videogamey. Really the whole thing is videogamey but it mostly works except for the highlighted part
>>
>Needs high Str, Dex, Con and Int
My immortal is going to be awesome
>>
>>52211091
>Get +2 to a stat.
>TWO damage immunities, one condition immunity, an advantage against a spell school
>Just in case you've thought that DnD 5E Hugbox Edition is still too lethal, you can't die!
>You also get fighter's class feature. Except better.
>Oh, and a free skill.
If you thought that inability to be healed by Cure Wounds balances that, you're an utter moron. Please don't homebrew ever again.
>>
>>52211160
Yeah, you're probably right, but hopefully I can end it right now with them getting to the Elven King, who's using subjugated Gnomes to build something that could harness the powers of crystal shards to create a small, say ship-sized floating battleship to help win a possible war with the other Kingdoms. If the party starts beating him, he'll go off about how the world they live in can't last, and they need to give up and unite against him so that they can stand against "The greater threat beyond the veil," build up some mystery for the next time I get them in a campaign in this world.
>>
>>52211227
>should of
You motherfucker.
>>
>>52211265
Why not use a finesse weapon
>>
>>52211053
You didn't win anything, because the argument was never about a specific setting.
>>
After reading the previous thread, I just had a revelation. An autist who screeched "THERE'S ALWAYS A THIRD OPTION" is the same autist who screeched "Grey Wardens are an evil death cult, and the game forces me to be evil, so I've uninstalled it".
>>
>>52211308
Actually
>never
I think it probably become one at some point. Or several points.

But I'm pretty sure the original post was just 'Hey anyone have any grey morality shit?'
>>
>>52211227
>picking up my SKT game tomorrow after two months of delays
>going to Silverymoon to serve as character witnesses in a trial for Zephyros
>will probably encounter some bitch wizardess working for Imryith
>Imryith actually contracted with a Far Realm entity to shapeshift King Hekaton's son into a human and delete all knowledge of him from everyone's minds, which is what broke the Ordning
>because she got cucked by giants in some ancient war
Sticking to the book is lame imo
>>
>>52211092
I have just one last question because it's actually helping me to answer the whole "how to make a more diverse world"

>>52211193
>>
>>52211265
>trying to make a gish and expecting it to have the full strength of both casters and martials with none of the weaknesses

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS?
>>
>>52211347
hehe

I see what you did there.
>>
>>52211347
I giggled.
>>
>>52211336
I was just hoping for ideas to plan for players not trying to find the 100% lawful good route. Shit went south from there because morality is no longer subjective (even though it is) but objective.

From what I've read 5e never had a 100% concrete alignment where there is no gray.
>>
>>52211297
Because claws and unarmed attacks aren't finesse
>>
Making a new character, and I want something purely SAD, preferably one where I can spam feats to gain the attribute increases.

What should I go for? What is best at this kind of stuff?
>>
>>52211344
In an objective morality setting, it depends on the degree of your characters' knowledge about the cosmic nature of Good and Evil and whether they value that balance and its more far-reaching consequences (as well as that of their soul) over the extremely fleeting and inconsequential (in the grand scheme of things) life or death of a few mortals.

Characters who are aware that doing the Evil thing to prevent some other Evil thing does not cause them to actually do Good and in fact harms Good by empowering Evil both literally and relatively (through the de-Gooding of themselves)
AND values the cosmic struggle of Good or Evil over other concerns, noting that the TRUE "Greater Good" is not doing shit that helps the forces of Evil take over the multiverse in 5,000 years or some shit
would let the bad thing happen, knowing that the Evil is on someone else's head and does much less to empower Evil (because the guy doing it is already super Evil) than if they'd done wrong themselves.

And now they have to try and explain planar forces and "trust me, it was really Good in the long run that I let everyone die" to a bunch of peasants who can't see past next week. Now there's some moral anguish for you.

i hope that's clear enough because i'm gonna move on to shitposting about mystic builds or something instead of alignment
>>
>>52211411
How about someone who's trying to come back from having their family murdered?

Last of their bloodline, trying to rebuild from a broken home, ect, sounds pretty sad to me.
>>
File: to smart.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
to smart.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
>>52211411
>tfw 2 smart to pick fighter
>>
>>52211411
Play as a fire gensai stone sorcerer. You can effectively use con for both attack rolls and AC.
>>
>>52211404
why use bestial claws instead of Animate Weapon, Lethal Strike (even though that's a bonus action), or Ethereal Weapon
>>
>>52211411
Battlemaster
>>
>>52211347
So how about playing a bard or stone sorcerrer?
>>
>>52211065
come onnnnn conjurers!
inb4 why dont u just conjure more voters
>>
>>52211162
What the goddamn fuck are you dribbling about?
>>
>>52211091
bad
>>
>>52211393
5e's PHB states that alignment is a combination of personality and morality, but it also pretty much says that it's only a general insight and not absolute.

Nothing about objective morality, so you can assume fairly safely it would be subjective. Just because delusional people don't follow alignment properly doesn't mean you can't adjust for unusual cases.
>>
File: I'M SAD.jpg (174KB, 691x896px) Image search: [Google]
I'M SAD.jpg
174KB, 691x896px
>>52211411
>Making a new character, and I want something purely SAD
Good for you, anon, goblins are in Volo's Guide to Monsters.
>>
>>52211065
GET KEKED ENCHANTERS
>>
Assuming UAs can be multiclassed together, what are the best combos?
>>
>>52211411
The only truly SAD classes right now are Warlock and Druid.

Otherwise i advise to multiclass Hexblade/Stone sorcerrer if your DM allows it. Then you only need Cha and Con.
>>
>>52211444
Because Animate Weapon is from Wujen and I don't want to pick disciplines from other orders if possible. Also I can totally use Lethal Strike and Ethereal Weapon with claws and unarmed strikes.

I'm going to be Guyver or a Kamen Rider!

Also, why shouldn't I use Bestial Claw? it's a discipline from my order, are you implying I shouldn't? why?
>>
>>52211421
What if my universe is set in a subjective good setting?

Already have a lawful good paladin in training in mind to be a potential enemy of the group if they act how they have so far. Then again they could surprise me.
>>
>>52211071
I feel like the mechanical servant is a bit out of place and should have been part of the gunsmith subclass or it's own pet focused subclass.

I would prefer the former though, and give the alchemist some sort of alchemy transformation potion that allows them to perhaps mimic wild shape following the same rules of CR and size.
>>
>>52211411
Anything but a martial considering they all have compulsory feats. Fighters for example will spend their time not using ASIs but getting PAM/GWM/Sentinel/Etc.

Go something like warlock, sorcerer, paladin-sorcerer, wizard, cleric or druid.

Moon druid is probably one of the most SADest things about.
>>
>>52211482
Twilight druid/loremaster wizard
>>
>>52211482
Hexblade/Stone sorcerrer
The best GISH combo so far.

Any monk and Scout (moving 30 or more feet as a reaction while also getting to be a skill monkey).

Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid
>>
>>52211447
Frontliner need con as well as strenght/dexterity

>>52211441
No UA, stone sorcerer is UA isn't it?

And I am not being allowed to use Genasi, my GM prefers the standard races.
>>
>>52211270
>get +2 to a stat
which is less than +2/+1, which is the average baseline for most races
>two damage immunities, one condition immunity, an advantage against a spell school
immune to a rare damage type, a more common but easy to resist damage type (how many races and class features allow you to get resistance to poison?) and advantage vs a single school of magic that not many enemies actually use. sure it's on the powerful end but it's not busted by any means.
>you can't die!
well revenants can't but they're busted. you can still die if, y'know, you actually take damage or get brutally instagibbed. it's really just auto-stabalization after so many rounds.
>you get fighter's class feature. except better
it's better at earlier levels but it scales off, not to mention second wind is a BONUS ACTION compared to an ACTION. fighters still get to heal and attack while fleshwalkers have to make a choice.
>oh, and a free skill
skills are given out like candy in 5e and it makes thematic sense. if a bonus skill really ticks you off in terms of balance why don't you just ban the skilled feat, rogues, and backgrounds?
>If you thought that inability to be healed by Cure Wounds balances that, you're an utter moron.
it's cure wounds, healing word, prayer of healing, mass healing word, heal, mass heal, power word heal, and lay on hands. if your party doesn't have a cleric, druid, paladin, or bard, i guess it really isn't a penalty, but those are all commonly played and very viable and powerful classes.
>Please don't homebrew ever again.
please don't post ever again. your criticism has been absolutely useless and shit. thanks for the insight.
>>
>>52211489
Then you can do whatever you want. You can also do whatever you want in an objective morality setting if you don't know any better or care more about local outcomes.

The people most apt to both know and care about the cosmic consequences of things were Clerics, other characters with connections to Outer Planes, and OG Paladins (not 5E's Oathfuckers).

Just because murdering this bad guy is objectively Evil doesn't mean your character has to see it that way or care. He's wrong, but that's not going to be a problem for him until angels or demons start stomping around or his ass is dead and trying to get into a cool heaven.
>>
>>52211482
Dunno if best but I had a blast with Devotion Pal/ Undying Light War/ Draconic Sor
>>
>>52211532
Play a Wood Elf Druid then and max your Wis.
You might want to also dip a level into monk for superior AC.
>>
>>52211065
Where my Transmuter brother at?
>useful at any level
>group utility
>not cheesey
>REVIVE THE DEAD
>>
>>52211466
thanks for the reply i guess
>>
>some bullshit happens that throws someone out of the material plane
>they get torn apart in Limbo
>a Githzerai barely saved him, using Psionics to rebuild his body from wood, metal, and energy
>honed his new body by training with the Gith until he had a basic understanding of his Psionic abilities
>returned to the material plane to use his abilities and further train them

Would this idea work for a Warforged Mystic?
>>
>>52211532
>Frontliner need con as well as strenght/dexterity
Armor and Shield, you don't need Dex at all.
As for Con, a 10 would be enough, surely you can have even more (point buy or elite array), and being a fighter you can even spare a feat for +2 HPs per level
>>
>>52211421
Objective morality is for faggots who should play a game that isn't directed by a person but instead a machine.
>>
>>52211536
> Hey, guys, how do you feel about my homebrew?
> *in unison* It's trash.
> FUCK OFF, MY HOMEBREW IS GREAT, STOP BULLYING ME
Really took my noggin' joggin'
>>
>>52211569
the point was for constructive criticism, all i got was shitposting.
>>
>>52211544
Pretty interesting to know, gives me even more ideas for NPCs
>>
>>52211560
It works, but it sounds pretty snowflakey. As long as it's not too snowflakey for the campaign.
>>
>>52211581
People get what they deserve.
>>
>>52211091
2/10 I suggest dropping the course
>>
>>52211581
Then maybe you should try your luck on reddit, you faggot.
>>
>>52211091
It's too strong, but I don't think I can go into any sort of detail without you sperging out at me about your super speshul snowflake undead race like you did to the other guy
>>
>>52211581
Oh you poor sheltered child, they gave you constructive criticism. One did especially in fact, you even replied to him. The consensus was it sucked.
Stop being a fucking crybaby and actually take the criticism on board.
>>
>>52211594
That's what I'm worried about. I don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to make my character some sort of anime protagonist. I figured it would help that he was trying to stay out of the way and would mostly fight defensively, but I'm still working on it.
>>
File: youneedthis.jpg (45KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
youneedthis.jpg
45KB, 392x495px
>>52211564
>god and/or the universe are "persons" like any other fallible mortal
>>
>>52211629
You're not sheltered, I was wrong in calling you that, but you are fucking delusional and you're throwing tantrums at the feedback you're getting.
>>
>>52211581
Because the core of it is just OP garbage and when people point it out your defense is "b-but it could be more OP." Immunity to any damage is extremely fucking OP, especially depending on what the campaign is about. If the campaign is about some evil lich (which would make thematic sense for your race to be a part of) you are nearly immune to the actions of the BBEG. Combine that with the barbarian class and making con your highest ability and you can literally take a nap next to the BBEG and let him attack you for 30 rounds before you have a reason to be worried.

To make matters worse the fact that you can't die through failed death saving throws but can still stabilize that way makes you even fucking harder to kill. Combine that with xd6+5 (because why wouldn't you max out constitution) every short rest and chugging some healing potions and you become even harder to kill.

It doesn't help that you chose objectively the best ability score to go +2 on seeing how literally every class benefits from a high constitution.
>>
Can we all just agree Undead are objectively terrible races and, due to their entire core reason for existence, cannot be balanced as a playable race?

They're either brittle and unfixable or cannot die.
>>
>>52211648
Don't bring the universe into it, god I can understand but the universe in and of itself is indifferent. It's the people and things that populate the universe that give meaning to words like Justice.
>>
>>52211091
Make something like a half-undead.

They died, but were brought back by some means that magically reanimates lost or disfunctional parts of their body.

They're merely resistant to necrotic/poison, have a bit of extra con, they get healing but they always treat rolls as the lowest possible? (cancels out with the 'always roll highest' buffs)
Still need to eat, sleep, etc. But eh.

Then some racial ability that's interesting.

>>52211648
>Needing some jerk you'll never see to determine your alignment in an edition where alignment does jack shit already anyway
>>
>>52211669
>points out advantages of a race
you could do this for literally any race and make it seem op. no wonder why 5e has so much shit design in it, wotc actually listen to people on 4chan
>>
File: 170312Hea_Curse_iqs.jpg (132KB, 974x478px) Image search: [Google]
170312Hea_Curse_iqs.jpg
132KB, 974x478px
How do you feel about it? Will it help drawing in new players?
>>
>>52211710
some actual decent ideas, thank you.

half undead sounds pretty alright. it might be more balance a bit more flavorful that way. there's also not a whole lot tying the race to their "previous life" so maybe half undead is the way to go about it. it would give me more versatility in terms of design.
>>
>>52211732
It'll likely be subscription based. Meganon does what he does for free. Draw your own conclusions.
>>
>>52211564
The only people who have a problem with D&D's morality are degenerates or communists.
>>
>>52211704
In a setting like FR, Good and Evil are elemental forces, as are Fire and Water. They're part of the universe. They were around before any of the Gods were, perhaps barring Ao.

Something Good in FR isn't Good because Good Gods like it, Good Gods like it because it's Good and they are aligning themselves with an objective truth.
>>
>>52211712
Yeah-yeah, you're good, we're bad, fuck off to reddit and don't come back. They'll love you there.
>>
File: 1427668222732.png (205KB, 356x325px) Image search: [Google]
1427668222732.png
205KB, 356x325px
>>52211732
It doesn't matter, new players are coming out of the fucking woodwork these days. Podcasting, Twitch streams and, to a very minor extent, /tg/ storycaps have been pulling people into this hobby head over feet for the last two years, combined with 5e's simplicity.

The real question is, will it WORK? And what will it mean for WotC when this causes another Murder-Suicide? Can they be held responsible for it if they know it will happen?
>>
>>52211712
It is OP because it renders certain threats entirely non-threatening. Imagine it in the aforementioned necromancy campaign. I cannot throw anything with necrotic damage at the party without risking the skinwalker just stepping in front of it and making its offensive abilities literally worthless. If your idea renders any type of campaign entirely worthless it is a bad idea.

There is a difference between resistance and immunity, the former is just an annoyance, the latter is an insurmountable issue if you focus on that damage type. Literally the first thing you should do is remove immunity to necrotic damage, maybe resistance to it could work but flat immunity is bullshit.
>>
>>52211765
>he thinks Reddit doesn't cream their pants over SHADES OF GREY subjective moralities
This stance would be even more unpopular there. You're in the company of Redditors, friendo. You've become the demon.
>>
>>52211765
>fuck off to reddit
do you tell that to your mom whenever she comes into your room to ask you when you're finally gonna get a job?
>>
>>52211747
Wargames also have fan-made list builders but people are still paying for official ones. Some people just like to have a logo and feel that they are supporting the company
>>
>>52211751
If by D&D's morality you mean 5e's, then yes, I agree.
>>
>>52211763
Cool I'm not talking about FR therefore that is a correct statement only in the specific circumstance of where you wish to argue from because it makes the argument about objective. I'm not interested in black and white it's boring to me.
>>
>>52211805
You did not see what I'm replying to.

>>52211807
And are you so averse to criticism because no matter what you did, it was never enough for your parents?
>>
>>52211845
>two colors is more interesting than one color where nothing matters
>>
File: 1465197518430.gif (198KB, 300x163px) Image search: [Google]
1465197518430.gif
198KB, 300x163px
So, since a few of my players used to be hardcore 3.PF weaboos, they keep asking about doing shit in combat like feinting and tripping and whatnot. I know BM fighters have it of course, but not everyone wants to be a fighter.

So, I've worked out a short list of shit you can do in combat and how it works mechanically. R8 h8 masturb8.

Feint
>Costs all of you movement or an attack if you have multiple
>DEX check opposed by target's WIS check
>I use DEX over CHA becasue I feel that it should rely more on speed and finesse rather than your fucking personal confidence
>If you win you have advantage on the next attack you make until the end of your next turn.
>If you lose, the target can use their reaction to make an AoO
>If you attempt to feint the same target repeatedly within 24 hours, target has advantage on his WIS checks

Trip
>Costs an attack
>Make an attack, if you hit the target takes no damage and makes a STR saving throw equal to 8+Prof+STR or DEX depending on what you attacked him with
>If he fails the throw, he falls prone. If he succeeds, nothing happens.

Disarm
>Same as trip, only if they fail you fling their weapon 5 feet to the left or right.

Power Attack
>You have disadvantage on the attack roll, but if it hits you add double your STR or DEX bonus to the damage.

Cleave
>You have disadvantage on the attack roll, but if you hit you may make another one with disadvantage against a different creature within 5 feet of both you AND the target. All of this counts as one attack, so you can make multiple cleaves a turn if you have multiple attacks.

Tumble
>Can only tumble a total of 5 feet, but costs 10 feet of movement
>Make an Acrobatics check contested by target's attack roll, if his attack roll beats your check then he can make an attack with advantage.
>>
>>52211669
>Lich can't do anything but necrotic damage
>Wow +2 in a non-class-main-stat, great. No matter what class you pick, you won't get +2 to whatever your attack stat is.
>Wow, a second wind, and clerics can't get you up when you go unconscious and enemies have to hit you instead of leaving you to bleed to die, even considering that it only takes two hits to kill you permanently and most people can easily stabilize by having a cleric just heal them up and then they can stand again. How great.

The only real good point there is the immunities are kinda over the top.
>>
File: Shepard_renegade.jpg (35KB, 500x620px) Image search: [Google]
Shepard_renegade.jpg
35KB, 500x620px
Is there a list out there of the few items in 5e that interact with alignment? I know the Balance card of the DOMT affects it, as well as some artifacts, but I was wondering if there was a list so I could make adjustments to those items like having them change ideals instead of alignment.
>>
>>52211882
I mean sure, but it's going to make the Fighter a bit worse. You may just want to rework Superiority Dice to be something every martial class gets, but give Fighters a higher pool of dice. Your system will work, though.
>>
>>52211882
Read DMG, anon. There's a lot of shit there that you just wrote.
>>
Rather than talking what's optimal, what builds for the Mystic seem most flavorfully fun?

Nomad in general seems really cool.
>>
>>52211870
>Option a or option b

Yeah sounds pretty boring even with good narrative, I'd rather have those indesicive moments where it may very well be I've chosen poorly and done more harm than good.
>>
>>52211882
>Trip
It's already in the PHB.

>Disarm
It's already in the DMG.

>Power Attack
It's already in feats.

>Feint
Eh. No need to make dex even more godly, and charisma works because it's all about distracting your opponent. It kinda encourages people to just stand in one place and hit repeatedly by burning all of their movement, though.
If it's just a plain dex and plain wis check you might as well just roll two plain 20s because of how random it's gonna be because your modifiers are going to be within about +3 of each other, probably. Unless you're a rogue. If you're a rogue, this is a great benefit to them.
Also you can technically dash and still move after the feint.
I'd have it being part of a class feature or something, 'improved feinting techniques', and normal feinting can just be considered part of normal combat.

>Cleave
I mean.. Eh, sure. That's fine. I actually ruled exactly this on the spot when a player wanted to cleave something.

>Tumble
What is this supposed to achieve? If it's supposed to be disengagement, there's a billion ways to do that already.
>>
>>52211967
I'm interested in an Avatar build that's built on manipulating people.
>>
>>52211882
Half the shit you made up is in the DMG. Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>52212034
Don't be rude, anon, he probably didn't read DMG.
>>
>>52211987
>three threads of people theorycrafting "greater good" situations under objective morality
>poor Anon still thinks you can't do more harm than good
You fucking moron, the only change here is that A) you're demonstrably fucking WRONG in the objective morality setting, and B) there are even more consequences to your actions
>>
>>52211411
Honestly nothing is pure SAD, everything needs at least one stat and CON. I'd suggest Rogue because you can start with a 16 DEX and a 14 CON with starting stats, put the rest of your points wherever and then all use need's DEX and Rogues get ASI's.
>>
>>52212053
Moon druids have the con of whatever they turn into.

Only their int/wis/cha remains after wild shape. And they only really need wis.

They COULD get more con, but regardless of their con they can still turn into an animal that has a load of health to tank which doesn't scale off of their own con.
>>
>>52212046
>Still believeing I operate in an objective morality setting

Once again if I operated under an objective morality setting yes I would be wrong. The problem is I don't and mentioned that it sounds boring so please tell me again how "wrong" I am under very certain conditions that I don't subscribe to.
>>
File: Hekaton.jpg (13KB, 150x182px) Image search: [Google]
Hekaton.jpg
13KB, 150x182px
>>52211890
Stop shilling your shitty homebrew.
>>
>>52212107
You think something that's less fun is more fun. That's objectively wrong.
>>
>>52211065
Am I the only person who likes Theurge for flavor reasons? I just like the idea of blending Divine and Arcane magic.
>>
>>52211772
>Another

Tell me more about murder
>>
>>52212120
How the fuck can something be objectively more fun you fucking moralfag.
>>
>>52212110
I'm someone else.

I'm targeting the criticism.
>>
>>52212084
I'm just not a fan of Moon Druid and loath to recommend it. Flavor's great mechanically has to many ups and downs and also treads on the fine line that pisses off the party. Better then most martials at a lot of levels.
>>
>>52212145
We live in an objective fun universe.
>>
>>52212120
It might be subjectively wrong for you, then again I don't expect you to understand the difference.
>>
File: good one.png (40KB, 413x171px) Image search: [Google]
good one.png
40KB, 413x171px
>>52212110
nice try anon
>>
>>52211927
Some Artifacts like the Book Of Exalted Deeds/Vile Darkness do, but it's generally rare.
>>
>>52212127
I don't have the article on me, but the last time WotC tried to create an online supplement for Dungeons and Dragons was during 4e's time. But the lead Developer ended up shooting his wife and himself during the development, stomping that shit firmly in the ground forever. It was a part of what killed 4e, actually, since they couldn't support it the same way they support 5e with things like UAs.
>>
>>52212235
jeez
>>
File: 1480652693403.png (233KB, 540x721px) Image search: [Google]
1480652693403.png
233KB, 540x721px
>>52212235
Jesus
>>
What character would you roll in a party of Open Hand Monk, Bear Totem Barbarian, Chain/Fiend Warlock, Knowledge Cleric?
>>
>>52212295
Open Hand Monk
>>
>>52212295
A Lore Bard, I would think. You've got a healer, a tank, a damage dealer and a harasser, so a buff/debuffer is the last thing on that list. Either that or a Utility Wizard.
>>
>>52212337
I like the way you think
>>
>>52212295
Immortal Mystic with Bestial form as primary way of attacking. Str, Dex, Con and Int for the win!
>>
File: Hekaton rises.png (128KB, 633x857px) Image search: [Google]
Hekaton rises.png
128KB, 633x857px
>>52212211
Stop.
>>
>>52212355
Fell into the wot4e trap, pre UA, in our first campaign that fizzled out and haven't had a chance to play a Monk since. I really like the aesthetics and what you can do.
>>
>>52212369
>not using the tomorrow theme
hope you like your bright ugly eyesore of a screen
>>
>>52212295
Stone sorc, pick up warcaster. twin haste on the monk and barb
>>
>>52212295
you could really go anything. your team is probably weakest at debuffs but your warlock and monk should have that covered alright. damage and melee-to-range ratio is fine. a wizard or sorcerer would be optimal. druid and bard wouldn't be bad either.
>>
Is a Gnome Avatar Mystic a stupid idea?

Plan was that he was obsessed with being a Guardsman after visiting a human city. He tried to make his own City Guard in the Gnome Burrow but there was no crime and people got sick of him trying to find it.

Fast forward after they made a deal with humans to take him in. he's a member of a Human Village Militia and in a small skirmish that's part of a larger war. He gets hit by an enemy psionic attack, which just pisses him off and he leads a charge while inspiring the rest of his side.

Still got to find a reason he's adventuring. I also plan to give him half-plate that's actually half a set of Dwarvish full plate that barely fits and a Gnomish greatsword which is a longsword.
>>
>>52212471
Sounds cool. I'd say a good reason for adventure is the idea that the militia ended up being disbanded temporarily while there was peacetime, so he got antsy and went out to find crimes to bring to JUSTICE.
>>
>>52212471
> Is gnome a stupid idea?
Yes.
>>
>>52212471
>Left the milita after it was wiped out
>Adventuring on a mission from some higher authority
>Felt he could do more good as an adventure than in the militia
>Adventuring to find a teacher to better his psionic skills

First things that come to mind for adventuring reasons, sounds like a unique character atleast.
>>
>>52212519
I want kobolds to stop posting.
>>
File: ANGRY.png (347KB, 990x1142px) Image search: [Google]
ANGRY.png
347KB, 990x1142px
>>52212544
Never ever.
>>
>>52212509
Works perfect. Rest of the party's going to be a Paladin, a Ranger and either a Bladelock or a Wizard so hopefully most of them will be good aligned.

>>52212519
Gnomes are my least favorite race but I've decided I should play one at least once. Kobolds are my favorite.

>>52212541
Thanks. I'll most likely try to work in the psionic learning into his reason for not at least staying near the town.
>>
>>52212295
Wu Jen Mystic. Like a blaster sorcerer or wizard or something but I want to play one more.
>>
>>52212544
>>52212581
you are both stupid tiny annoyance races

Goliath and Firbolg Master Race(s)
>>
>>52212424
>Needing melee-to-range ratio

But it's often better to be entirely one or the other, I find, or have only one guy in melee using stuff like sentinel and dodging and rest range.

>All melee
>Wolf barbarian
>Prone shit
>Paralyze shit
>Hand melee buffs around

>All range
>Don't prone shit
>knock back shit
>Difficult terrain
>Kite everything
>>
File: 52247852_p0.jpg (232KB, 661x935px) Image search: [Google]
52247852_p0.jpg
232KB, 661x935px
Best class to play if you wan to a little child who is a walking MAD?
>>
>>52212715
>>>/pfg/
>>
>>52212715
Immortal Mystic that only uses Bestial Claws
Shadow Monk
>>
>>52212715
Paladin relies on five abilities but doesn't rely on most of them too heavily.
Monk relies on three abilities and relies on all over them heavily.

Paladin/Wizard multiclass for ultra-MADness.
>>
>>52212715
Necromancy Wizard, duh.
>>
>>52212715
>>52211706
>>
>>52212295
Arcane trickster 3/Wizard x
>>
>>52212739
>>52212715
Add Paladin/Monk
>>
File: 1435191692101.jpg (6KB, 255x208px) Image search: [Google]
1435191692101.jpg
6KB, 255x208px
>>52212774
What is this dumbfuck meme?

Everyone always calls Pathfinder the weeaboo and furry game here, but I've never seen anything to suggest that of the entire game other than assertions in here. Is there something specific about PF that makes it big with furries, or is it just people being butthurt that some people jumped ship after 4e was a failure and "muh brand loyalty?"
>>
>>52212295
Assuming we just do PHB, probably a Thief Rogue. Assuming we're allowing UA, a Deep Stalker Ranger
>>
>>52212842
Why don't you take a look at their general and find out?
>>
>>52212842
its not so much pf as pfg
>>
>>52212842
PF attracts weird people (especially on roll20) and has ultra-SJW developers, but the game content itself isn't that bad, honestly. I can play it with my non-wierdo friends just fine. It's just a meme, don't give them (You)s
>>
>>52212842
>>52212877
this

PF is alright as a game, if catering to different tastes.

PFG is just... Well, it's a general on 4chan.
>>
>>52212842
It's more to do with /pfg/.

In /5eg/, people are more interested in ranting and raving about muh optimization and muh builds.
In /pfg/, it's all about THICC, kitsunes, the latest Roll20 smutgame and so on.
>>
So a couple weeks ago I posted about our DM putting a random -10 on all Charisma throws of any kind on my Bard. But I finally found out why.

He wanted to pull the good old "you were the bad guys all along" switcheroo but he forgot to give our antagonists a goal that would qualify them as anything but "I want power because I want power" villains.

So whenever my guy wanted to talk about inconsistencies in their plans/motivations to the NPCs as to avoid combat and maybe find out more, he saw it as a threat to his "carefully crafted" story.

I mean, I'm rather new to D&D but would this qualify as shit-tier DMing?
>>
>>52212932
yes your dm a shit
>>
>>52212932
Sounds like shit DMing to me
>>
>>52212932
That's so unbelievably shit-tier DMing. No plan will survive contact with the PC and DM's need to learn that.
>>
>>52212932
My friend, that's what would qualify as the WORST DMing. It's just someone who wanted to write a book, but thought running it in DnD would be more fun, since he could guarantee someone would be around to hear the story.
>>
>>52212932
Drop him like a hot rock.
>>
Is giving players a free 18 on stats if they haven't already rolled one too much? I don't want everybody to get assfucked on stats but I feel that potentially starting with a 20 is a bit much. Would it be better if I gave a free 16 if didn't roll one already?
>>
>>52212976
Or drop a hot rock on him, either works
>>
>>52212991
Rocks fall, DM dies.
>>
>>52212987
Use the Standard Array if you care about someone not getting assfucked on stats, man. If you use Dice Rolls then someone's almost always gonna be better.
>>
>>52212987
look either do you stupid rolling or do point buy. or just give everyone elite array. if you want to roll accept what happens with the rolls.
>>
>>52212932
Top kek, serves him right for not thinking it through properly and assuming you'd be retarded
>>
>>52212987
I'd say no to a free 18 but a free 16 is acceptable I guess. Honestly doesn't totally matter either way if you're just wanting to run a high powered PC game
>>
>>52212987
>Rolling for stats
>>
What's the most balanced source for warforged components in 5e? DM allows for homebrew stuff as long as it's not too OP, but needs text in advance to give his opinion.
>>
>>52213059
Adamantine is pretty balanced.
>>
>>52212932
>the good old "you were the bad guys all along" switcheroo but he forgot to give our antagonists a goal that would qualify them as anything but "I want power because I want power" villains
This is what subjective morality does to DMs
>>
>>52213075
>Adamantine
sorry, i meant something like a site/text list of them
>>
File: IMG_0365.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0365.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
New to this board, but what is everyone's opinion on home brewing? Is it a common thing to see or is it frowned upon?
>>
>>52211411
Play a ranged weapon Champion Fighter. Won't need CON for concentration or tanking and no one will think of saddling you with skill needs. DEX covers AC and attack/damage. Also one of the best stats in general. Keep a rapier on you for uncontrollable close encounters.
>>
>>52213118
We like good homebrew.

Yours is not a good homebrew
>>
>>52213118
Homebrew settings, classes, house rules, weapons, be more specific.
>>
>>52213118
Depends on what you're home brewing and your experience in my opinion. Also don't do shit like >>52212932
>>
>>52213118
We like homebrew but we don't like yours.
>>
>>52213076
Nah it's what happens when a DM wants to run an evil campaign but no one wants to play it.
>>
File: Dwarf Shaman.jpg (380KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Shaman.jpg
380KB, 724x1024px
What's a good/fun motivation or goal for a dwarf Diviner ?

It's my first wizard, I have no inspiration at the moment.
>>
>>52212842
Honestly, as soon as I added the expanded race book in my old PF group, half my players wanted to roll furry races. I think it's a combo of the rampant furfaggotry on this site and PFs apparent catering to special snowflakes.
>>
>>52213169
If morality were objective, you'd never question OOC whether you were Good or Evil and you'd always know if the bad guys were Good or Evil
>>
>>52211732
Why does Drizzt only have 45 hp?
>>
>>52213211
Who needs HP when you have plot armor.
>>
>>52213178
Just as your brethren look for the form within a simple stone slab, so too do you look for answers within the obtuse now.
>>
>>52213195
If you want a game with objective morality, why are you playing an edition which removed all mechanical consequences of morality? Go play 3.pf or something.
>>
File: latest.jpg (78KB, 400x629px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
78KB, 400x629px
We know all of the OP things a Mystic can do to not die, but what about damage/buffs/control/utility? All of the "Attack, but do +1d10" things seem inefficient, and low on nova compared to something like a Paladin.

Going Wu Jen and spamming 6 fireballs a day seems good.
Using Venom Strike from Corrosive Metabolism as 1 point to try and apply Poisoned for a round seems okay vs bosses.
The various movement options from Bestial Form are useful.
Diminution is actually retarded good for sneaking around.
Charming Presence actually hits a good level of hit points.
Center of Attention is ripe for abuse if you have a partner that wants to steal something, and if you're a super tank it can be like a compelled duel.
Overwhelming Attack is literally this: https://youtu.be/rM6CTdcmcks?t=3m59s
Aura of Victory forces your DM to either shit on your concentration every round, or remove all weak mooks from every encounter.
Incite Fear is just pretty good, it lasts for a minute and only costs 2.
Incite Panic requires 3 saving throws for it to truly end.
Soothing Presence gives 3 temp HP to 3 targets per point spent. That's 9 temp HP a point. As a bonus action.
Detonation is 1d6 less damage than fireball for the same cost, but can also knock prone.
Darkness to make a 20x20 area of darkness for 1 point.
Wall of Wood actually has 100 hit points per 5ft square.
Step from Sight is mass invisibility.
Step of a Dozen Paces is the cheapest teleport yet.
Occluded Mind is as broken as you and your DM let it be.

These are the things that stand out the most to me.
>>
>>52213252
>mechanical consequences of morality
Like what? Spells such as Protection vs. Good / Evil?
Seriously, what is is there aside from alignment-class restrictions that never made sense and didn't follow from the way the morality system and classes were set up to begin with?
>Bards can't be Lawful but Rogues can
>characters that don't get their powers from any source that could be pissed off by their alignment lose their powers if their alignment changes
Good riddance to it. It never should have been in to begin with. Clerics and maybe Warlocks (and Paladins if they weren't Oath-based now) should have to worry about alignment and that's it.
>>
>>52213247
I think my DM would like us to have more short/mid term goals. Ones he can use for personal quests.

I like your formulation, though.
>>
>>52213195
Don't fall for the subjective morality Jew, anon.

Plenty of series have sympathetic villains or protagonists accidentally losing the moral high ground whilst still maintain moral universalism.
>>
>>52213076
This is what objective morality does when you tell players 'No, while you think you're being good, it's actually evil.'
>>
>>52213238
It's still remarkably low. Also plot armor means jack shit.
>>
>>52211698
This already got solved in 3.5, Necropolitan is an undead race that basically had the worst parts of undeadness removed (from a PC perspective).

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/5f7ez9/5e_undead_race_idea_necropolitan/

This homebrew 5e conversion isn't even bad but I probably would remove cold resistance from it since cold resistance isn't an inherently undead thing anymore and it seems pretty overloaded on resists as it is.
>>
>>52213281
>We know all of the OP things a Mystic can do to not die
Like what?
>>
>>52213315
>didn't do an evil thing
>DM says we did evil
Now he's just being subjective about his objective morality and he's shit. There shouldn't be a question here as to whether something is good or evil.
>>
>>52213195
Sounds boring and removes possiblity of "am I actually doing the right thing?"
>>
>>52213118
On a rough scale

DO DO
>Minor system fixes (Stopping abuse of RAW and such)
>Homebrewed monsters
>Homebrewed magic items
>Homebrewed settings
>Various system fixes
>Homebrewed archetypes
>Homebrewed classes
>Complete system overhaul
DO NOT DO
>>
>>52213329
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/%2224%20AC%22/
>>
>>52213370
>It's a 8th-9th level build
If I even reach that far I'd try it, but I have like 5 builds that reach that AC at those levels, I don't see why that turns Mystic into an immortal
>>
>>52213178
Which background do you intend to use?

First thing that came to mind for me is a Hermit Seer who saw ill portents but did not act on them/share them due to some conflict with the settlement, resulting in the destruction of their ancestral home. Due to the ancestor worship inherent in the culture (or just guilt), the dwarf strikes out into the world to regain the approval of their ancestors by taking aiding folk whenever the opportunity is presented.

Not highly interesting or original, but best i could shell out on a smoke break. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>52213346
And that's why you need subjectiveness, because most people will just say 'yes, this isn't evil' regardless of if the DM, the objective authority to determine objective morality, says you're evil.

Of course the best fix is to not have a shit DM.
>>
>>52213346
But to him in his world, what you're doing is objectively evil because it will in the end lead to evil winning down the road.
>>
>>52213305
I'm not saying it's a good idea, but smite evil, protection from evil, detect evil, etc... all used to give alignment some mechanical impact, and now they don't.
>>
>>52213387
>>It's a 8th-9th level build
>Under point buy it starts off with 19 at level 1, 21 at level 3, 22 at level 4, 23 at level 5, and 24 at level 8.
>>
>>52213362
You should probably go back and read the previous two threads, because you'd see it was full of people trying to twist every possible incidence of "am I doing the right thing?" into "yes, because the greater good".

Subjective morality kills any sort of moral quandary because you can justify anything and live with yourself. People like to do evil because it's easy, they like subjective morality because it's easy, and together they make things even easier.

You're never going to see a traditional Paladin from 2E or some shit in an objective morality setting go "oh man it's so simple to make right or wrong decisions". It was hard as shit and bad DMs were always trying to make you fall and twisting the rules and setting up impossible situations that eventually everyone threw up their hands, said fuck it, and started on muh shades of grey. It's bad and you should all feel bad.

Any questionable morality you can display under subjective morality can be equally displayed under objective morality, AND you can go further. There are extra layers to this. Objective morality can contain multiple subjective realities as far as different groups are considered, but there is always the overriding objective morality that you may or may not be aware of or capable of convincing other people of. I can make grey with black and white, but you can't make white or black with just your greys.
>>
>>52213393
If the DM has set up the universe such that your action is objectively evil then you're doing evil. But if you're playing in something like Forgotten Realms where this isn't up to his personal interpretation, you can sit his bitch ass down and show him that killing those babies wasn't Good or killing that demon wasn't Evil.
>>
>>52211546
That Undying Light feature doesn't work with Smite, just with the "Smite" spells.
>>
File: Dwarven Medhiv.jpg (27KB, 380x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarven Medhiv.jpg
27KB, 380x600px
>>52213388
I like that, thanks a bunch.

I was going for Guild Artisan but I'm shaky on that - as I said, I have 0 inspiration for this character.

But you're making my creative juices flow again.
>>
>>52213416
So can Fighter, Paladin, Bladesinger and a couple other builds

Again, I dunno why all the fuss
>>
I've been invited by a co-worker to DM for their group. I have experience DMing 3.5 but am new to 5th. Currently reading the core books. I'm planning to run a one off adventure first and if things go well I'm going to run a campaign. Any recommendations in terms of precons? Anything I should be on the lookout for in general?
>>
>>52213500
And?
I'm using Undying Light feature (as draconic later) with GFB, on top I add Smite
>>
File: 1424095330293.jpg (26KB, 336x434px) Image search: [Google]
1424095330293.jpg
26KB, 336x434px
What was the biggest disappointment your players ever gave you, DMs of /5eg/?

My players once just straight up ignored my plothook for four sessions when they were stuck with it on a boat. They just kept ignoring it imprisoning it and refusing to talk to it until they could sell it for a profit.
>>
>>52213178
Trying to track down a forgotten Dwarven kingdom because of it's legendary library that contains prophecy written by a master diviner that's supposed to be accurate even today.
>>
>>52213559
Seems odd to be a devotion paladin then when you only need a 2 level dip.

Though I guess you could aim for 6 levels of paladin, and end up as a paladin6+X/warlock1/sorcerer6+Y

But
>Multiclassing UA
I shiggy diggy
>>
anyone watching the C team from acquisitions inc. right now?

anyone gonna watch critical role tonight?
>>
>Objective good/evil
Is this a meme? There is no good, there is no evil. There is only perspective and opinion.
>>
>>52213577
What was your plothook?
>>
>>52213577
>Hoard all the magic items other players could use
>Throw away a couple of magic items
>Complain there aren't enough magic items
>>
>>52213623
>the argument had stopped
>he tries to bring it up again
>he's wrong on top of that
>>
>>52213611
Follow the conversation anon, OP asked for beast UA as in UA, as you know Unearth Arcana, multiclasses. So yeah, multiclass in UA was allowed because it was the fucking premise
>>
>>52213542
Additionally at level 8 you can take Diminution, and concentrate for 29 AC, and 36 on reaction, or Celerity to dodge as a bonus action for 2 points. Or you could do the more sane thing, and be more well rounded with Intellect Fortress giving you a 1-7 bonus to mental saves on reaction, and advantage when you concentrate.
>>
>>52213463
Sounds like a fault on their end and simply because a person can justify "for the greater good" doesn't mean it actually is. I can justify removing a tyrant for the greater good, however that action can lead to a worse out come that is directly from the decisions I made, which can fuel and feed a greater evil instead. By following a strict idea of good and evil I've helped evil become stronger and therefore have done evil while attempting good.
>>
>>52213611
I was Actually Pal3/Undying6/Draco6 and I was twinning (or was it quickening?) GFB every turn
>>
One of my players's been playing a lot of For Honor lately, and now he wants me to let him do "half-swording" and "mordhaus" in 5e. I don't really understand either.
A little help?
>>
>>52213577
Maybe your players didn't like your self-insert DMPC, anon.
>>
>>52213691
Half-swording is a technique where you grip your sword midway up the blade and thrust it. It's for trying to punch through the weak parts in plate armor.

Mordhau is holding the sword by the blade and clubbing people with the hilt. It's blunt damage for hurting through armor
>>
>>52213655
Then why even suggest that when clearly the best combos are the obviously insanely broken ones?

Unless they mean 'Best combos that are actually fair'
>>
File: 1488887489301.png (33KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488887489301.png
33KB, 800x800px
>>52211065
>Loremaster getting votes
>>
>>52213624
They were hired on by the king of a shady country to deliver precious cargo to a rival kingdom. When they looked inside of the cargo, they found out it was an undead skeleton that was fucked with by the Elder Gods. If it touched dirt, it could infuse it into it's body and use it as more matter for it's body. AKA, if this thing ever got out of the box and touched the ground, it could absorb literally all the dirt in the world and turn into anything it could want. So basically, if they didn't figure out a way to deal with it, infinitely growing skeletons take over the world.

They were delivering it over the ocean, so it couldn't fall onto dirt, but they refused to talk to it, learn about it, or stop it. Their entire plan was "Just deliver it and get paid, then be pirates with the money." The campaign ended when they lost, because there was no one to trade with, because the entire continent fucking died while they went out searching for pirates to fight. They made Waterworld, but didn't want to play in Waterworld, so it collapsed.
>>
>>52213691
I think half-swording is that technique where you grip the central blade for more powerful thrusts.
Mordhaus is probably a reference to Dethklok.
>>
I'm playing my first game of DnD in a few weeks. The DM is my friend/coworker but I don't know anyone else there. Other than the things I've picked up in That Guy threads, what are other things I should/shouldn't do? Any common newbie pitfalls to avoid?

I'm probably going to play a Warlock, Raven Queen patron. Pact of the Tome.
>>
>>52211053

Which begs the question whether any of the modern D&D settings can be described as objectively moral, and if not when did they cease to be so.

Back in the Gary days when the alignments were about 2 simultaneous wars that almost no one actually cared about, it worked. Now that the primary measure of alignment is "personal ethics" it doesn't.
>>
>>52213732
Don't be a murderhobo, don't be abrasive to other players, act in-character when you can, try not to cause inter-party conflict anytime soon, bring good snacks to make a good first impression.
>>
File: tg Sheet.pdf (132KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
tg Sheet.pdf
132KB, 1x1px
Anyone got a form fillable version of the TG char sheet?
>>
>>52211081

Fine as far as it goes, but a bit light. Good job touching on why PCs have a different power scale entirely than NPCs. There's a lot of JRPG in its DNA but sometimes that's a nice break from generic Fantasyland.
>>
>>52213713
He said "not the best one but I had a blast with...". Next time read
>>
>>52213722
I think it's reasonable enough to assume that considering the world still existed something like that wouldn't consume the entire world. So they're safe with doing what they're told since it helps their goal of getting rich.

I mean, were you hoping your players DIDN'T do as they were told when promised a reward?
>>
HEY GUISE WANNA HOMEBREW RACE
>Wendigo
>Also known as skinwalkers, wendigos are infected by a disease similar to lycanthropy. The difference lies in the fact that wendigoism is incurable except through heavy divine intervention, more of a disease of the spirit than the body. The promised of Ithaqua, the windwalker, wendigos are primarily evil cursed with their sickness as a result of terrible actions in life such as cannibalism. A good skinwalker is possible, but more likely to be mistaken for an animal or fey creature than the monsters their kinfolk are.
>+1 Int
>+1 Dex
>Proficiency in Deception
>Shapeshifting:A wendigo can change his or her shape to that of a recently deceased creature. At first level, you can change into the shape of another medium humanoid dead no longer than 3 days as though affected by the Alter Shape spell. At 5th level you gain access to shapeshifting into medium beasts as well as humanoids. You retain your stats but gain the natural weapons of any such creature.
>>
>>52213687
>however that action can lead to a worse out come that is directly from the decisions I made, which can fuel and feed a greater evil instead
Doesn't put you on the hook for anything.
Objective morality is concerned about the cosmic balance of Good and Evil. "Bad things happening" doesn't empower Evil; people doing Evil does. What's more, Good people doing Evil empowers Evil more than Evil people doing Evil (and the same is true of Evil people redeeming and doing Good vs. saints continuing to do Good things).

A natural disaster causing mass starvation and death doesn't create or empower Evil on its own. People in those circumstances have to willingly do Evil now as a result; murdering people for their food, raping because they can get away with it, and so on. They aren't forced to do these things due to the mass starvation, but they chose to. And if you are the PC who caused that mass starvation, whether intentionally or accidentally as some knock-off effect from a Good act you did, you still aren't on the hook for any of it.

You absolutely cannot allow for intentions, outcomes, consequences, or the actions of others after the fact to influence a PC's alignment; only their immediate, wilful action matters.
If it worked any other way, everyone would immediately be Evil:
>you saw a beggar and didn't give him gold; if he dies, it's on you, and if he steals, that's on you
>you killed and ate a quail for dinner, but had you not done that, the flapping of its wings would have prevented a hurricane that killed hundreds; all those deaths are on you
>you helped little Timmy out of the well, but didn't foresee that he would become a lich in 300 years and destroy an entire kingdom; all his evil plans are on you

Something else to keep in mind is that not all actions that society might consider morally good or evil are actually Good or Evil. You can do good without doing Good. 99% of what your characters do should have no chance of impacting their alignment at all.
>>
>>52213691
Half swording is holding onto the blade and stabbing someone with it, Mordhaus is swinging the sword upside down by the blade like a pick-axe.

I'd do it as Half-swording a longsword does 1d6 piercing, mordhaus does 1d6 bludgeoning. But then I'd get pissed because I special snowflaked swords and proceed to go through the entire weapon list and create alternate damage modes and curse the player that made me do that shit for very little benefit to anyone because of his vidya.
>>
>>52213734
Morality, by definition, cannot be objective. This is an objective fact. I'm not sure why other people seem to be confused about this.
>>
>>52211339

SKT needs more DM investment than any other adventure path. They give you all the pieces but its really up to you to build something out of them.
>>
File: nuggetprom.jpg (32KB, 379x388px) Image search: [Google]
nuggetprom.jpg
32KB, 379x388px
>>52211065
>school lets out
>Diviner suddenly rockets to the top
Coincidence???
>>
>>52213623
Go to sleep, (((anon.)))
>>
>>52213691
Those techniques involve holding a sword by the blade to change the motion of the attack. You could try to homebrew a fighting style out of it, something that allows the user of a sword weapon to change damage types between piercing/bludgeoning/slashing. Something along those lines would probably be simplest. Otherwise if he just wants to grab the blade half up and stab extra hard you could just refluff power attack.
>>
>>52213782
Well they got rich, for all of a few days.

Money doesn't really hold any value when the only people who are left in the world are whoever was lucky enough to be out in the ocean when the continent got taken over by skeleton mass.
>>
>>52213805
>>52213691
Longswords are already underpowered because versatile sucks and rapiers are just better.

I'd just say 'If you use the versatile property, you can also choose what type of damage your weapon does' or something.
>>
>>52211393

Way back in the day Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos were actual groups of Gods and Demi-Gods that warred against each other, and alignment was more about which groups you were allied with than how you acted.

As that idea got dropped, alignment got weirder and weirder
>>
>>52213805
Make it a magical weapon who's properties is the ability to deal different types of damage and then refluff it?
>>
>>52213734
Forgotten Realms has objective morality. Its planar politics are intensely involved with the setting, more than just about any other. Everyone plays FR like it's just ye olde stereotypical England and then bitches about how dull that is, however.

>>52213807
>conflating our world's concept of morality with that of a universe where Good and Evil are intrinsic parts of the cosmic make-up, actual elemental forces
You're the one that's confused.
>>
>>52211091
>immune to two damage types
>immune to two conditions
>can't die from death saves
>can use a 7th level spell once per long rest

Do fuck off
>>
>>52213839
Don't the gods even try to do anything?

I bet they're saying 'Yeah, this one's fucked again. We're making a new world, and for the love of god whichever one of you keeps putting dirt in you need to fucking cut it out, we're making the earth with only rock this time. Everyone can live off of mushrooms.'
>>
>>52213800
>Willfully take an action whose outcome is evil
>Not on the hook for the decision you made

Man that's some hard core "I served the greater good" as more people do more evil because of your action.
>>
>>52213817
Is this good or a bad thing?
>>
>>52211470
It states that a character's alignment is a reflection of their personality and morality. The alignment system itself is not, at least not in the setting that the PHB is pushing.

And before anyone starts up about 5E not having a primary setting because it mentions Greyhawk and Dragonlance in the same breath as Forgotten Realms, every adventure and generic illustration is FR. Shit, the Cleric's a fucking Ilmateran.
>>
>>52213887
>You're the one that's confused

The 5e PHB must be the one that's confused, then, because it just says that alignment is personality and morality, nothing about cosmos or alignment to any particular plane or order or god or anything, then talking about how each individual's mindset dictates their likely alignment.
>>
>>52213906
They probably just left to make another Earth once the skeleton took over everything, yeah.
>>
>>52213887
>a universe where Good and Evil are intrinsic parts of the cosmic make-up, actual elemental forces
Gonna have to quote me where good and evil is actually an actual "elemental"-level force. I'm inclined to believe you're merely perceiving those realms and beings to be good or evil through the perceptions of a being or a collective.
>>
>>52213819
>what are time zones
>>
>>52213957
The gods need to do a better job. Can't save the world from something that a bunch of rugrats on a ship could've solved if they were paid a few coins.
>>
File: 7811772.png (20KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
7811772.png
20KB, 259x224px
hi /tg/

I'm p. sure you get this question a lot but oh well.
I played the 3.5 a lot, what are the differences with the 5th? Please redpill me onegai.
>>
So does anyone have a Mystic character sheet? Or at least something to write Disciplines on?
>>
File: 1371430260919.png (14KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1371430260919.png
14KB, 203x209px
>>52213807
>Morality, by definition, cannot be objective.
>"morality" is a European word
>Europeans traditionally believe in objective morality
>>
File: WHAT THE FUCK.jpg (128KB, 1505x926px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT THE FUCK.jpg
128KB, 1505x926px
How do your campaign settings deal with Gravity Ore? In my setting, Gravity Ore is too deep to mine for anyone but Dwarfs, so only the Dwarven people can have magnets, but it's a hot commodity.
>>
>>52213998
Hi /pfg/

It's basically less shit.

Sincerely, /5eg/.
>>
>>52211732
Yeah except its going to be 90 dollars and or subscription so fuck that

Should have been at launch and bundled with each book and or you couldnbuy the digital copy of the book as well
>>
yo, /tg/ quick question because my GM doesnt believe me. is it possible for an 8 cha sorcerer to cast spells? Im saying yes, but my GM says it doesnt say anywhere in the book that its allowed. im telling him that the old rule of needing to have a casting stat of 10 + spell level was from 3.5, but hes doubtful. who is right?
>>
>>52213118
only a small handful of people know how to make decent homebrew
>>
>>52214013
A group of people believing that 2 plus 2 equals 5 does not change the objective fact that it does not.
>>
>>52214026
What is gravity ore?

Does it unleash gravity waves?

Can you make a time machine with it?

>>52214032
>It doesn't say anywhere in the book that its allowed
But it doesn't say anywhere in the book that it's not allowed???
>>
>>52214032
>it doesnt say anywhere in the book that its allowed
It doesn't say you need 10+spell level to do it either
>>
>>52213925
Again, outcome is irrelevent. The actions of others following that outcome are also irrelevent. If an action is not, in and of itself, Evil or Good, then you don't experience any shift in alignment from circumstances resulting from that action.

Cutting a tree down is unaligned.
You didn't do Evil because someone used its branches to make into arrows which they then murdered people with.
You didn't do Evil because that tree was used as a log bridge across a cliff gap that allowed bandits to ransack a village.
You didn't do Good because some assassin would have hidden in it and murdered a merchant on the road from its cover, or used it to escape the watchful eyes of the king's guard on his trail.
All you did was cut down a tree. Bad or good things may result from it, some of those may even have been anticipated, but the universe never wrote "cutting down trees" on the Naughty List at the dawn of creation so you're fucking clear.

In the case of case of that hypothetical drought, let's say you enter the Weather Shrine and knowingly fuck with the Rain Crystal because you want to sell it for cash. That's Evil. A drought is a knowable, direct consequence of your action, same as poisoning a well or breaking a dam overlooking a village. You're on the hook for the suffering of many.
You are NOT on the hook for the actions of those suffering. This drought happens, and it doesn't matter whether no additional rapes, murders, and thefts occur during it, or if the rape, murder, and theft rate quadruples over the drought; the act of fucking with the Rain Crystal is the same amount of Evil either way.

Got it now?
>>
>>52214032
>it doesnt say anywhere in the book that its allowed.
I'm pretty sure it works the other way around. If the books don't say anything about it, it's clearly not a thing. This isn't 3.8e, it's 5e.
>>
>>52213998
same thing but with much much much less content and less rules and it's balanced better but you're still playing an inferior class if you pick Fighter
>>
File: 7811774.png (18KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
7811774.png
18KB, 259x224px
>>52214028
that you for this constructive comment who'll help me choosing if I'll dig in the rules or just stay with the older system anon :)

rawr
>>
>>52213998
It's streamlined and simplified, with a lot of focus on quicker combat and a desire for more room for roleplay. A lot of the flavor is more vague and ambiguous, and classes, while not totally balanced, almost all fill a uniche niche that makes them viable to play as. There's not nearly as many of them though. Feats are not considered a vital part of character creation, but they're powerful to have. Skills are done a whole lot better.
>>
>>52214032
The rules also don't say you can specifically throw a chair at a goblin, but you can.

Caster stats are no longer needed for spellcasting of a given level. All the stat does is influence DCs and occasionally number of spells memorized. You're right, your DM is wrong.
>>
>>52214032
Ask him to find where it says you need 10+. He won't, because you're right.

If he relents, tell him your character's race starts with 4 legendary tier magical items. There's nothing in the book that says you don't, after all.
>>
>>52213883
It's a technique, magical weapons have nothing to do with it.

>>52213844
The only reason the Rapier is so popular is that it's the most damaging finesse weapon. Longswords are strictly better then rapier for strength melee characters anytime you need to
A) Do slashing damage
B) Need a weapon that does more damage when you throw a shield or another item on the ground
>>
>>52213926

It depends on what you want out of an adventure path.

If your goal is to minimize prep time SKT is probably your worst choice of the current hardbacks.

If you buy the hardbacks not just for the planned adventure in them but also to mine them for maps, NPC, free-roam zones, lore, plot hooks, art, items, new stat blocks, locations, and other things to drop into other games or use for one-offs it's a fantastic resource.

So the question really comes down to: whether you like it or not is going to depend on how much you're looking to buy pre-worked prep materials and how much you're looking to buy an "expansion pack" for the existing game. I'd say SKT is probably 30% path and 70% expansion materials.
>>
>>52213998

You'll have fewer options but almost all options are viable. You'll look at your character sheet more and your books less. There will be much less math, for good or bad.
>>
>>52213759
Thanks
>>
>>52214058
The group of people who created the word should probably have more say of its definition than people who didn't, but maybe I'm crazy.

2 + 2 is a mathematical equation and almost nobody would seriously refute what it equals. Morality being objective or subjective is a matter of contention. You believe it's subjective. Good for you. Not everyone thinks that.

Also, the people who think it's objective are the same people who created modern civilization, so maybe their opinion is a little more important than a bunch of spearchuckers and people who do nothing but try to subvert and destroy their countries from the inside.
>>
File: Highwayman.jpg (124KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Highwayman.jpg
124KB, 640x640px
>>52214066
You don't know about Gravity Ore?

Gravity Ore is what lets us all stick to the Earth without falling through space and landing on some other planet or asteroid with Gravity Ore. It's metal within the surface of the Earth that emits a magnetic force that pulls in matter, such as humans or dirt.

The Molten Core is made out of Condensed Gravity ore, and it keeps us anchored to the Earth, but recent mining of crust-level Gravity Ore is making us weigh less, since more Gravity is being brought up to the surface. Actually, America has a rich Gravity Ore vein that made the invention of the Colt Pistol possible, whereas Europe has very little surface Gravity, so they could only make muskets.
>>
>>52214066
>>52214068
>>52214075
>>52214106
>>52214109

fucking THANK YOU. thats exactly what i was saying. now lets see if strangers on the internet telling him hes wrong will convince him.
>>
Somebody more versed in this system answer my call and reveal me the secrets of this question's target: How well does 5e handle weather and environments? Do I need to get homebrewing rules for cold weather and burning heat or are there working rules for that type of stuff that don't suck harder than an industrial strength vacuum cleaner?
>>
>>52214115
>Throw a shield to the ground
You can use an action to get rid of your shield for -2 AC +1 damage. Wow. Brilliant.

And in that case, why not just drop your longsword too and pull out a greatsword?

Literally the only use for versatile is for grappling so that you can attack with two hands, grapple, then attack with one hand. And even then, you can just attack with a big weapon, drop the big weapon, grapple, then pull out a smaller weapon.

Though there's the whole damage types thing still.
>>
>>52214181
Go to sageavice, there the developers of the game will tell you the same
>>
So i remember some prestige classes that use the element of the void, can someone remind me.
>>
>>52214115
versatile is fucking useless what are you talking about
taking off your shield is entire action
>>
>>52214096

Pathfinder seems more your style.
>>
How's the combat in 5e? And are the actions in combat more streamlined and less retarded?
>>
Is it true 5e dropped the old six stats from 3.5 and streamlined it into a Combat stat and Social stat?
>>
>>52214223

In combat is too late to be making that sort of change-over. You play with what you brought. Versatile just means one less thing in your backpack.
>>
>>52214229
take the attack action
do it again

do you have spells?
yes?
cast fireball, divine smite, or mass healing word
>>
>>52214229
Yes

>>52214251
No
>>
>>52214251

No, it's not. That was a different game.
>>
>>52214251

Yeah, only 2 stats now make it so much more streamlined.
>>
>>52214251
Wat, no. Who told you that?
>>
File: 1480193165879.jpg (650KB, 3000x2183px) Image search: [Google]
1480193165879.jpg
650KB, 3000x2183px
How's the Minotaur race from that one UA? Good for more than dumb beaters, since they can get int or wis?

>>52214229
yes on all counts compared to 3.pf, more streamlined than 4e

>>52214251
no
>>
>>52214251
Isn't that 13th Age?
>>
>>52211053
>the very simple rules of objective morality settings.

too bad 5e is a subjective morality setting
>>
>>52214229
>How's the combat in 5e?
Fast, even if people don't really know all the ins and outs. If the encounter is dangerous though, its rocket tag where he who hits first wins. It is much more streamlined though. Everything in 5e, for better or worse, is simpler with less rules assigned than any 3.pf counterpart.
>>
>>52214285
Minotaur make good Eldritch Knights, Clerics without Martial Weapons and pretty decent Rangers with a Shield.
>>
>>52214293
5E is a system, not a setting.
>>
>>52214229

It's better-ish.

There's a newer, much more consistent underlying model that makes it very easy to do common things straightforwardly. It does have some weird cul-de-sacs that can be a bit brain bending (the "attack action" gives you one or more "attacks," but its not the only way to get an "attack." There are things you can do with an "attack" other than "making an attack.")

On the whole, I think it's a great change for the better but it does need a lot of time sitting down with the book to fully understand the new model.
>>
>>52213807
Morality, by your definition, cannot be objective.
Your random ass opinion is not an objective fact. You seem to be confused because you cannot distinguish between your opinions and external reality.
>>
File: 1486848339616.jpg (203KB, 474x444px) Image search: [Google]
1486848339616.jpg
203KB, 474x444px
>>52214191
There are working rules, but they're simple. I believe they're a DC check after an hour for temperature and other weather effects impose disadvantage on shit.

>>52214200
Longswords in real life can deal piercing damage, too. It'd be nice if that were true in 5e. There really is no reason to use a longsword unless you're super indecisive about what you want out of your character.

>>52214229
Some would say too streamlined.

>>52214315
That's subjective.
>>
>>52214341
FUCK YOU AND YOUR FUCKING FROG, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE YOU MOTHERFUCKING BASTARD, I SWEAR TO FUCK YOU PIECE OF SHIT GET OUT OF THIS BOARD AND NEVER COME BACK
>>
>>52214329
From what I've seen, it's easier to learn 5e on its own than convert from 3.5.
>>
>>52214315
Meant the alignment system in 5e is totally subjective, and the subjectivity of morality does have ramifications for the setting.
>>
>>52214359
SPLC, it'd time to stop posting.
>>
>>52214200
>>52214223
The comparison is Rapier to Longsword, +1 damage when you hold a longsword two-handed vs 0 damage from only holding a rapier is strictly better, you might have a point if having versatility on an item as a keyword that made it do more damage was ever a penalty.
>>
Reminder that the sole argument anyone has about "5e is objective morality!" is "adventure modules are usually for FR and ONLY four out of the five editions FR has been for have subjective morality!"
>>
As EK, does using eldritch charge to teleport behind an enemy give me surprise advantage, more so when I use it as a ready action?
>>
>>52214295
>Everything in 5e, for better or worse, is simpler with less rules assigned than any 3.pf counterpart.
This is better is all respects.
>>
>>52214254
>this weapon isn't inferior because in this scenario you're not allowed to use other weapons that would be better for you
you're right and i should wear padded leather and hide and ring mail because they're clearly on par with the other armors, they give AC after all
>>
>>52214386
IT's a minor, situational benefit. You're right though it is better and there's no mechanical reason to go Rapier. If you're ever stuck without a shield and don't have dueling then it's useful.
>>
Gonna be playing a Firbolg Rogue (Thief) whats. His name is Grub and he was kicked out of his tribe because he stole things from everyone and is a general mischief maker.

Chieftain
>Grub! Why'd you steal the tribe shaman's gemstone totem?

Grub
>Cause i wanted to steal it. I thought it would be fun

Chieftain
>...

Grub
>And it was fun. I also switched all the potted plants in his den into different pots. And you didnt even notice! HA!

Pitching it to the DM that his tribe doesn't use money, so he has no idea what it is.

Grub
>What're all these shiny discs in your pocket?

NPC
>Hey! that's my money!

Grub
>What's money?

NPC
>You trade it for goods and services...now give it back!

Grub
>And you were just keeping it out in the open in your pocket where anyone could take it? Well, i don't think you are responsible enough to have this 'money'. I'm much more responsible, i'll protect it for you.

Grub likes to catch bugs, he's quite skilled at climbing and jumping, and he's commonly known to be half covered in dirt; either as a means of camouflage or because he's just a filthy person.

Grub
>Baths are a waste of time, look at how big I am, think about how much time it takes me to clean myself. That gnome, good in 5 minutes. Probably gonna have to spend a whole day just cleaning my left foot.

What's a good reason for this character to want to join the party?

Party consists of Human GOO Blade-lock, Dwarf Hunter Ranger, Hill Dwarf Moon Druid, Tiefling Fiend Chain Lock, Wood Elf Nature Cleric.
Both my Wizard and the Dwarf Fighter died last session. The fighter is re-rolling as a Wild Magic Sorcerer. Do you think it would be a good idea to talk to the Sorcerer and come up with a reason for us to join the party together?
Currently the party is in a ruined city and a Wizard's Tower in it and have access to said Wizard's Tower as a base of operations. I think the DM wants us to rebuild the town as a base of operations to allow for a West Marches style of campaign.
>>
>>52214402
In most circumstances but there are occasions when I, as a GM, want just a bit more to work with. I can homebrew most things but that doesn't mean I don't want it. I'm still deciding how best to do things like plunging attacks. Whether it should be purely off height difference or if I should factor weight in too.
>>
File: 1407802763907.jpg (54KB, 320x271px) Image search: [Google]
1407802763907.jpg
54KB, 320x271px
>>52214447
Oh my fucking God you reverse engineered a fucking Kender
>>
>>52214331
I didn't define the word. It has multiple definitions obtained from the collective use of humans. And in them, it has a definition that is mutually exclusive with the definitions of objectivity.

I don't see why you think they were my opinions simply because you were wrong. Maybe it's because you don't understand subjectivity and objectivity?
>>
>>52214363

I started back in 3.0 and went full 3.PF before switching over. It's not so bad, but I do recommend actually getting the action in combat list from the DM screen or some other cheat sheet and forcing yourself to actually look at it while choosing your action for a bit. It doesn't take long to get fluent.
>>
>>52214447
I guess you could have him looking for adventure and fun? That seems like 70% of characters reasons for joining.

>>52214461
Isn't wrong though
>>
>>52214465
>My Jewish university professor told me morality was subjective.
That's nice, we don't care.
>>
>>52214471
https://crobi.github.io/dnd5e-quickref/preview/quickref.html
Its missing some actions from the DMG like overrun but its pretty good.
>>
>>52214073
So objectively I can say the act was evil because you subjectively thought removing him was good.
>>
>>52214425

If you're the sort of window-licking moron that wants to change armor mid-fight, "they all have AC" is about as much as I expect you to understand. The rest of us are smart enough to appreciate having choices about what to take into combat while understanding those choices don't extend into the combat itself once it starts.
>>
>>52214471
It's in the PHB, though. And it's not long.
>Attack
>Cast a spell
>Dash
>Disengage
>Dodge
>Help
>Hide
>Ready
>Search
>Use an object
Maybe it's a little long.
>>
File: alignmentinthemultiverse.png (157KB, 369x476px) Image search: [Google]
alignmentinthemultiverse.png
157KB, 369x476px
>>52214366
The reasons a character chooses to pursue a given alignment are subjective, but the actions defining those alignments and the alignments themselves are not.
>Angels and devils are [alignment] in its essence

Characters make a moral choice to do X or Y. If morality were utterly subjective, there is no morality; they decide to do X or Y and then justify it as this alignment or that. Any action could be spun as serving any alignment. I murdered that innocent girl because I'm Good; I saved that puppy because I'm Evil.

5E describes alignment in only the most broad sense and barely touches on it to begin with. The book doesn't push any particular setting overtly, but it's clearly patterned on Forgotten Realms, which operates under an objective morality. All the material released after it supports that; we've got SCAG, we've got oodles of modules and AL shit set in Forgotten Realms, and so on. This is even more FR-leaning than 3X overtly pushing Greyhawk in its original books, but then going out of its way to support basically nothing but Forgotten Realms afterwards.

You don't have to play 5E with objective morality. You don't have to play FR. You don't have to play FR with objective morality either, but you'd be wrong. But if you want to handle alignment in any way, objective morality is the way to go, and subjective morality is shit. Any notion that it's somehow set up for better storytelling or more character drama is just you lying to yourself.
>>
>>52214285
>that pic
that's real snazzy. Is it of a particular setting? Or just a one-off neat fantasy pic?
>>
>>52214401
I'm going to guess that you meant to say Arcane Charge.
>>
>>52214386
Not having finesse is a penalty because it means it can't be used by the dex martials and can't apply sneak attack if you have rogue levels.
Having the Dueling style, the go to style for many sword and board users, comepletely negates the one extremely situational use of versatile, making it useless on even many strength users.
>>
>>52214511
>thought removing him was good
What?
Removing who?
>>
>>52214461
>>52214487

I googled Kender.
I guess I agree, but Grub is a Firbolg, he could probably eat a Kender.

Mind you, from what google told me, Kenders take offense to being considered thieves. Grub isn't like that. I think he'd reverse Bilbo Baggins a situation, where he'd want to be the thief of a party of adventurers, to an extent where he write his own contract on a big piece of paper with a muddy stick.

I guess i just figured out his reason for joining the party
>>
>>52214552
I specified strength earlier try to keep up.

Dueling effects one handed longsword and rapier the exact same way so don't wield a longsword with two hands and they do the same damage? So it's still never a penalty unless you are intentionally making it one.
>>
>>52214605
New thread!
>>
File: 1469417779695.jpg (50KB, 602x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469417779695.jpg
50KB, 602x600px
I'm tossing around an idea that's been done before but I want inspiration for it.

What do you think of the notion that most wizards don't form into large groups, and have a sort of "ronin" or "cowboy" culture. That is, wizards wander the world, dueling other wizards to steal or obtain their spells and scrounging around for bits of arcane lore that they then keep secret from all but their apprentices?
>>
File: 1482554473600.gif (355KB, 300x190px) Image search: [Google]
1482554473600.gif
355KB, 300x190px
>>52214447
>unironically playing Kender
>>
>>52214465

>It has multiple definitions obtained from the collective use of humans.

Objective morality is one of those definitions. So yeah, you're "objectively" (by your definition, ie "people's opinions, such as yours, are objective fact") wrong.
>>
>>52214640
You do less damage if you wield a longsword in two hands when you have dueling.
>>
>>52214386
If you have strength, you shouldn't be sword-and-board unless you normally use something else and just want more AC temporarily and you don't have PAM for some really weird reason. You should be using GWM or PAM or something.

So normally if you have a shield? Use a rapier.
If you have more strength than dexterity? There's no downside to using a rapier.

Longsword does barely anything that the rapier doesn't already do.
>>
>>52214614
It's more of the fact people honestly find the dick ass thief annoying. For the love of god, don't make him a "Kleptomaniac".

Never steal from the party and don't do stupid shit like steal a worthless item that will fuck over the game if you get caught. It should work out alright in the end.

Also you've got a huge party.
>>
File: AvernumDesktop.jpg (535KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
AvernumDesktop.jpg
535KB, 1600x1200px
>>52214547
It's probably a generic underdark picture.

If you want a whole setting that's just CAVES and not FR/the Underdark, check out the old Exile/Avernum games.
>there's a fuck-huge giant cave system
>Totalitarian Empire on the surface discovered a portal to it
>decided to throw everyone they didn't like down there; political dissidents, the poor, murderers, cat people
>they basically create Cave Australia
Most of the games are about finding a natural path back to the surface, making the best life down in Cave Australia, getting a portal back to the surface to murder the Emperor, or dealing with some cataclysmic threat that's going to fuck everyone in the caves (and/or the surface). It's got lizardmen, demons, dragons, and ancient alien dudes.

Cool shit, but dated.
>>
File: CaptainObvious.jpg (19KB, 149x200px) Image search: [Google]
CaptainObvious.jpg
19KB, 149x200px
>>52214640
>So it's still never a penalty unless you are intentionally making it one.
>>
>>52214654
All moral systems are a pyramid of value-judgments which ultimately rest upon certain axiomatic statements, the rejection of which statements invalidates the moral system.

The only way to have an "objective" moral system would be to have one that ultimately reduced all other value systems to itself, for example a system that said there was in fact only a few values which it is psychologically impossible for a conscious being to NOT have, and thus all supposed differences in philosophies can be explained as inefficient attempts to fulfill those universal desires.

A crude alternative to such an objective moral system would be a universally enforced moral system. This wouldn't make it true, but it would make it imposing.

In lieu of one of those two things, you're basically just saying "My philosophy is the best because my philosophy says so"

Learn2metaethics
>>
>>52214447
>It's kender, but it punts you instead of you punting it

END IT
>>
>>52214671
But...legendary weapons in fiction are always longswords.
>>
>>52214646
Wizard's spellbook mechanics absolutely help that notion.
>>
>>52214719
>"I wouldn't steal his food. That's immoral."
>"I don't think so."
>"Oh, I guess it isn't, then."
>>
So 2 level 7 Mystics just took out my Young Sea Dragon in two turns. Explain why I should not ban this class?
>>
>>52214736
But, considering longswords are now one of the worst weapons, history should be changes that the legendary weapons are all polearms or quarterstaves.

Quarterstaves for self defence, polearms for the big shots.
>>
>>52214772
Why is it immoral?
What makes it immoral?
What gives it the quality of immoral?

Its one thing to have a well defined concept of good and bad and good and evil and be able to answer the fundamental questions of morality, its another thing entirely to just shit yourself and whine when someone points out the difficulty in universally defining such abstract principles.
>>
File: 1481670895625.jpg (64KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1481670895625.jpg
64KB, 800x800px
>>52214719
I wonder who is behind this post.
>>
>>52214229
Pretty shitty. Unless your DM is super tryhard, your turns will boil down to taking the attack action or casting a cantrip over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. There is very little variance, and resources are so constrained that you basically have to do that.
>>
>>52214807
>>52214736
Well, actually, if everybody's too lazy to master polearms and carry shields with them, I guess longswords have a place since they're not too big and it's 1d10.

But you might as well go for a magical dagger than because it's tiny, but 1d4+MOD+Extra shit.
>>
>>52214811
>it works like this in reality so it doesn't work like this in a fantasy game with demons and lightning magic
found yer problem
>>
>>52214777
Because you have given no where near enough info to judge this and a sea dragon isn't that bad in the firs place.
>>
>>52214828
Legit question: how were the first three editions different? You cannot use 4e as an example. I played it and it was exactly the same, your attacks just had fancy names and no in-universe excuse for why you had them at all.

>>52214807
That doesn't seem fair, even though I like polearms. If something ubiquitous in real life is completely ignored in a game that's meant to recreate real life, something about the game probably needs to change. Tridents have this same problem, though not many people care about tridents.
>>
>>52214828
>casting a cantrip over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
What? Not every caster is warlock you know. You have 9 spell slots by level 5 as a wizard. If all you're doing with those is still casting firebolt you're a retard and picked terrible spells.
>>
>>52214646
You ruin it at cowboy and killed at Apprentice.
>>
>>52214548
A honest mistake.
>>
>>52214880
Well, the Soul Knife Mystic was able to hit the dragon with the Animate Weapon + Lethal weapon combo, and delt about 2/3s of its HP, then the second one was able to deal 40 points of damage on a psychic blast (60 ft. cone). The Dragon was not able to hit the Soul Knife because it could up its AC to 20+. Then the Soul knife used Ethereal Weapon + Animate weapon to make a dex save and killed it.
>>
>>52214777
Well, it's UA in the first place and people generally think it's overpowered.

But two oathbreakers could easily output, together, in two turns with 18 str and 18 cha and PAM...

((3d10+24 + 1d4+8)*2)*2
For normal damage
Then smites would be
(3*(3d8) + 4*(2d8))*2

Total:
357 damage.
Without oathbreaker, deals 32 less damage.
With GWF fighting style, +5.8 damage.
>>
>>52214968
Though actually they could do more damage if they critted / also had GWM. But that's kinda pushing it. This is assuming they hit all attacks without magical weapons or any buffs or anything and a +7 to-hit.
>>
>>52214642
Seriously stop fucking doing this so early, we were barely halfway down the fucking catalog when you made the new thread, it's pointless and kills conversation as well as makes the trolls take their baggage to the new thread, fucking stop it REEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>52214968
This is true, but the Mystic can do similar amounts of damage without burning all of their resources, up AC, do AOE attacks, Psychic Magic Missile, and heal+revive.
>>
>>52214967
Can you stack Animate Weapon and Lethal Weapon? If I were a DM, I'd rule that doesn't work, since Lethal Weapon says when "you" make an attack, but Animate Weapon says "it" makes the attack.
>>
>>52215157
I don't see why it shouldn't, its using your modifier.
>>
>>52213613
C team?
>>
>>52215449
ya
>>
>>52214447
Sorry but I'd kill your character immediately
>>
>>52214777
>A young dragon fighting in melee with a level 7 party died fast.
Dragons aren't melee monsters dude, they're all about hit and runs and breath weapons. You just had it sit in melee with one powerful melee character and his ranged buddy.

Two paladins would have done the same thing.
>>52215157
It's a little ambiguous.
>>
>>52214898
I can use 4e as an example. It was straight better, and almost all of its attacks had additional effects tacked onto them that would facilitate strategery.
>>
>>52214898

Tridents are for fisherman/gladiators/priests of nautical deities, they aren't meant to be an adventurer's weapon unless an adventurer happens to just like them.
>>
>>52214671
>>52214736
>>52214807
>>52214898
Sword and board is perfectly fine.

1. Protection is probably the most interesting technique, one of the most team friendly... and requires a shield.
2. The shield feat lets you prone people, and gives you a boost to dex saves, as well as a sort of improved evasion. Most importantly, you can shove up to large creatures (huge if you can get enlarged), which gives you forced movement or knockdown for granting advantage to yourself and allies.
3. Longswords rely on strength, and so they're perfectly good for shield users.

Considering the bulk of warlord shit besides attack granting (commander strike) or healing was moving people (you can shove allies, I think) or making your allies whoop them more, there's nothing wrong in the least with a str based sword and boarder.
>>
>>52216474
Also I'm going to add that it seems blatantly obvious you are supposed to pair sword and boarders with polearm users; polearm users have a little lower AC and benefit from someone giving them the protection thing, and are probably gonna be GWMing constantly, necessitating a reliable source of advantage.

Additionally, while its been covered before, magic swords are more plentiful than polearms and virtually any other weapon type. While magic gear is at DM's discretion:

1. If the DM lets you purchase magic items, you're going to hit the attunement cap fast, so keep in mind that generic shields do not require attunement and stack with magic armor! This gives sword and boarders a leg up on AC as well as, potentially, reflex saves. The spellbreaker shield (easily made from flail snail shells) is also of potential interest, a relatively feasible source of magic resistance, which is essential.

2. If your DM goes by random item generation, magic swords outweigh the frequency of any other weapon type.

3. If your DM goes by printed modules, intelligent artifact swords are probably the most likely weapon to find and polearms etc. are the least common. If its "but muh finesse," well if you find a finessable melee weapon in a module, its probably a sunblade.
>>
>>52213691
honestly i'd just let him do bludgeoning or piercing damage whenever he wanted. you're not breaking anything by making one weapon damage type to another. while you're at it, just let all your players do that shit with their weapons as long as it's within reason e.g. a dagger can probably do as much damage with piercing as it can slashing but if you try to smack someone with the other end for bludgeoning, you're basically doing an unarmed strike.
>>
>>52214285
minotaurs are pretty rad. you basically have a free 1d10 weapon on you which is good for classes that don't have martial weapons. it also counts as a weapon attack rather than an unarmed attack so you can smite and do other silly stuff with it.
>>
>>52213691
actual swordfighter here
those are legit techniques, though both are only used against armored targets
>>
>>52213844
That won't really change how underpowered it is considering physical damage types are near irrelevent
>>
>>52213691
Go with great weapon mastery, especially considering the -5 +10 thing is best done on a prone foe.
>>
>>52216716
>Additionally, while its been covered before, magic swords are more plentiful than polearms and virtually any other weapon type.

The advantage of Strength + Duelist Style, besides the use of a shield, is that they are able to effectively wield *any* one-handed magical or non-magical weapon they find. While nice GMs will give you magical weapons that fit in with your niche weapon choice, like a polearm or finesse for a Dex combatant, that's not 100% reliable.
>>
I need to roll a new character for a game tomorrow but I don't know what to play. Our party is very caster heavy with 2 bards, warlock, and druid (not sure if land or moon yet)

I rolled well on stats and got: 17, 16, 14, 13, 12, 10. Any suggestions? Using core races only and some UA stuff may be allowed if the DM clears it.
>>
>>52215677
It was exactly the same, and additional effects do not facilitate strategy*, being halfway intelligent facilitates that.
>>
>>52217791
Fighter 1/PotB Warlock X

or be a High Elf Wizard and be the casterest of them all.
Thread posts: 395
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.