[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BGG/ Board Game General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 36

File: Santorini-Greece.jpg (433KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
Santorini-Greece.jpg
433KB, 1200x600px
Saying anything triggers the autist edition

Previous thread:
>>51949313

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Fun is apparently a buzzword, so tell us what your favorite mechanic is.
>>
>favorite mechanic
non-random (or minimally random) combat resolution. kemet, scythe, malifaux, most systems that don't involve dice
>>
Needs a picture of some social game too OP but otherwise 9/10 triggered

>Favorite mechanic
Cards that can be played for multiple uses besides their main use
>>
>>51985992
>that pic
Knew I shoulda posted the thread I had ready before going out on that work delivery. Gonna have trigger the crap outta every eurogamer with that anon.

I'm always a fan of programming though, whether it's like in RoboRally/404, or more like movement planning in X-wing
>>
>>51986158
have you played colt express? if so how did you like it?
>>
>>51986133
ya i like this a lot too. have you played cry havoc? i keep hearing bad things about it and haven't played yet but the use of cards for multiple purposes makes me wanna check it out
>>
>>51986133
Thanks, made it myself.

>>51986158
It's really only the one autist. I like Euro's and more thematic, random games just fine and I can have fun with both.
>>
Santorini is REALLY BAD AND MADE BY JEWS/ACTUALLY IT'S QUITE NEAT
Kickstarter IS SHIT/FINE
Euros ARE DRY SHIT/SUPERIOR THINKING MAN'S GAME FOR SUPERIOR PEOPLE SUCH AS MYSELF *TIPS FEDORA*/AN ENJOYABLE WAY TO SPEND AN EVENING WITH TWO TO THREE FRIENDS
Amerigames ARE COIN FLIPS/EXCUSES TO PLAY WITH PLASTIC TOYS/ENJOYABLE THEMATIC EXPERIENCES
Fun is A BUZZWORD/FOR NEWBIES/WHAT YOU FEEL WHEN YOU ARE ENJOYING YOURSELF

I expressed all the opinions, guys, so now there will be literally no excuse to say them in this thread, right?
>>
>>51986249
thank god you're here to save the thread with your shitpost, you fucking idiot.

to keep things game related, do you want to tell us your favorite mechanic or did you only come here to be an ignorant faggot?
>>
>>51985992
>favorite mechanic
Hidden information. The more and the more asymmetrically distributed the better.

>>51986192
The card-driven system in CH is cool, but can feel like your plans are a little too dictated by what you draw despite the multipurpose nature of them. Combined with the low action count and the somewhat proscriptive nature of each side's unique abilities, I think the game doesn't have as much replay value as it could. Don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of fun and I wouldn't go as far as to say I regret having my copy, but I don't think it can quite compete with the likes of Kemet.
>>
Simultaneous action selection, in any form. Anything from simple simultaneous votes on teams in bluffing games, to the simultaneous choice of attacks, directions for your dude to move around, chances to grab rewards, etc.

My favourite experience with it recently has actually been Rock Paper Wizard, which I've had huge success with as a gateway. The name gets even the least gamery people interested, and then I mention that you'll have to make silly shapes with your hands and they're normally in. Depending on the spell lineup it can actually be quite strategic, but it is usually just an explosion of nonsense, and it plays very quick. Cheap, too. And especially good if you're drunk. Definitely recommend it, unless you only game with a serious group.

My most tried and true game for it is one where it doesn't really look simultaneous to an outside observer, but all the choices really were made at the same time - Glass Road. By far my favorite Uwe Rosenberg game, it beautifully mashes up euro strategy with this mechanic. The absolute best part is once everyone's cards are locked down, the first one gets turned over, and the very poor bluffers at the table either make a funny little strangled sound or breathe a sigh of relief.
>>
>>51986374
Ya, Kemet is my favorite game and I know you really like it so I really value your opinion as your tastes seem at least somewhat similar to mine. I have a chance to play CH every week at a huge meet up I get to go to so I'll likely try it there eventually but it keeps sliding down my list based on the negatives I keep hearing.
>>
>>51986410
Absolutely recommend playing it and finding out for yourself. I can sit back and throw spitballs at it's flaws all day but I've yet to play a game of it that felt like a waste of time.
>>
>>51983786
I went ahead and got a new copy for 49. I don't own any dungeon crawls and the two games I do have are pretty card heavy so I figure it would be nice to have something with dice.

So I'll have
>Mage Knight
>TMNT
>Millennium Blade

I guess I'll make my last two Raptor and Legendary Marvel and I should have a decent variety and be set for a while... unless there's an absolute must have board game I should add?
>>
>>51986175
I like it more than RoboRally (although I haven't played the new rules version from Hasbro) and looking back it really deserved the SDJ in 2015. The fact it's mostly open programming means you can pay attention to what's happening, but those face down tunnels can screw things up just enough for you. Makes observant play rewarded, but there's still a bit of guessing what your opponents are going to do and bluff/double bluff feel to it. There's also a lot less "oh I'm totally boned" which makes it better for kids/new gamers, but maybe that's just my limited experience with it.

The special powers are prolly a lil too unbalanced, but considering it's a 30 minute game, and it's supposed to be a very light slapstick western I don't mind. Couldn't tell you about the expansions, though what people tell me it's like Ca$h n Gun$ expansions, they add cool stuff, but aren't needed and don't overwhelm new players.
>>
>>51986440
Looks pretty cool for starting out desu

i hate legendary marvel but it's for reasons that are soley opinions so i won't bother to hate on it more than just to say i hate it.

was it hard for you to learn mage knight or millennium blades being new to gaming?
>>
>>51986560
Haven't been able to sit down and play Millenium Blades yet with my friend considering he's been busy with our other friends wedding. Mage Knight sounded a lot more intimidating to learn than it was. I ended up watching a tutorial/walkthrough of it and am picking it up pretty quick. It's crazy just how much "game" board games have now, as well as how fun they've gotten.

or perhaps they were always good and I just got suckered in to the shiny graphics of vidya.

Also, as of yet my only real beef with Legendary is they went with the PC Nick Fury instead of the real one, but I haven't bought and played it yet so we'll see.
>>
>>51986704
ya i was seduced by the electric gaming glitz for a while too but then call of duty 31:loljustbuyitcuzyourfriendsplayit came out and that was my wake up call
>>
File: Mythic Battles 1.jpg (187KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mythic Battles 1.jpg
187KB, 1280x720px
>>51985992
Triggering autists you say?

I spent $500 on pic related and I don't regret it one bit. I know many people think it's just a dumb plastic pusher but I actually really like the combat mechanics and all the different units and their different abilities and terrain. There's a lot going on tactically with so many decisions to make. Also playing as Greek gods and commanding monsters and heroes is so awesome. Can't wait to finally get it. It's gonna be a hit with my group.
>>
>>51987333
This is one of the least genuine sounding posts I've read in a long time. That, and the fact that you post this every thread is why people think you're a shill. Talk like a regular person if you want people to have real discussion with you. It has nothing to do with the game, no one wants to talk to you about it because you sound like a salesman as opposed to someone who really enjoys the thing.

That being said, have you gotten a chance to actually play it yet?
>>
>>51987380
Just saying how I feel about the game. Perhaps somewhat defensive because people shit on it often.

Only played two games so far. I wanna keep it hidden from my friends so when it's finally here I can make their jaws drop with well over hundred awesome looking minis. We've never had such a game in my group so I hope it's gonna hit like a bomb.
>>
>>51985992
Hey, that's Ilios
>>
>>51987453
I asked if you played because I wanted to hear about the game itself instead of hearing you trying to sell how cool having dozens of miniatures is because I already own games like that. I also don't care about your gaming group because I don't know them or there tastes. This is why I say you don't sound like you're actually interested in discussion. Care to elaborate on the gameplay? I love the theme and the minis so I'm genuinely interested and they don't seem to be speaking english in the ks videos.
>>
>>51987514
Well you start by drafting units. First each player chooses a god or titan and then spends his recruitment points on units such as monsters and heroes. Each unit comes with a number of activation cards and in some cases also with Art of War cards which let do you do special actions or use a units special power, such as Zeus's lightning. All the activation cards and AoW cards make up your deck. On your first turn, if you have a Zeus card in your hand, you could play it to deploy him on the board. After that whenver you play a Zeus card you activate him and can use him. Move around, attack, etc.

There's more but that covers pretty much the basics.

Here are some videos of demo games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQR6oFpp4U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9JGpPqz3dg
>>
>>51987644
I am gonna watch this whole video but I fucking hate these people they just do games other people don't so i get fucked into dealing with their faggoty personalities all the fucking time. I hope that bald guy dies slowly whenever his time comes
>>
>>51987494
I love getting environment kills there as Phara...

>>51985992
Best fuckin' OP pic in the last 6 threats (and I made the images used in most of the others lately).

As for 'favorite mechanic' - hmmm.... I do like hidden information (particularly hidden movement).

>>51986249
8/10 - would KEK again.

> Latest KS temptation?

Me and my 'Space 4x' obsession...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii
>>
>>51987732

The beast of wars guys are such humongous sellouts, but I think they're fine to watch. They got somewhat tolerable voices and rarely go on unbearable tengents.

They'd shill anything for a dime though.

Anyway, I didnt back Mythic Battles, but I think the biggest argument regarding the whole "it's just a box of minis" ordeal is the fact that the game was origianally released with shit cardboard standees and did get great reviews back then (there's one on the dice tower channel for exemple)
>>
>>51985992
>That image
lol, made this lousy shop last thread
>>
>>51987976
no i can't stand that bald faggot. I've seen plenty of his videos and nothing about him is ok with me. his jokes aren't funny and his personality is like chalk but he insists on upstaging everyone else on the show and it really makes things drag.

ya the game looks pretty cool actually but unless you pledge 500 like >>51987333 you'll only ever own half the game so its a hard pass from me. I like to wait until things are released to see if I like them and watch some honest reviews before I invest in anything that will eventually come to retail.
>>
>>51987985
what does that mean in english?

I'm one of the autists so i saved it
>>
>>51988108
Core box for 100 dollars gets you a lot of stuff. You don't need all that other shit. I only went for the core box and that's all I'm gonna need.
>>
>>51985992
>that image
Oh boy, here we go.

Anyway my favorite mechanic would probably be the same as several other anons: simultaneous actions.
>>
>>51988164
I kind of like 7 Wonders for that reason, everyone essentially conducts their turn at the same time. Reduces the 'down time' greatly.
>>
>>51988156
ya but if you want that other stuff you'll just have to live knowing you can't have it. plus i don't like supporting ks campaigns that do that.

really praying that last sentence doesn't awaken the autists
>>
>>51988123
The Comedy of Misters Shill and Manchild. I loosely translated it.
>>
>Board game night with a few old friends, none of them really know board games
>Showed them Forbidden Desert, they loved it
>Showed them Ghost Stories, frustration set in

I mean, we'll play again, but probably not Ghost Stories. Am I overlooking something, or should you just never, ever hope to win or at least see the boss?
>>
>>51985992
Reminder that you can report shitposting.

>Favourite mechanic
Probably the "cards in hand/deck as HP/money" mechanic, there's something that feels just right about throwing cards in hand to pay something, then getting more cards in hand thanks to your engine. Race for the Galaxy, San Juan, Netrunner, and Middle Earth Quest come to mind. Someone suggested Mottainai, I should get to finding a copy one day.
>>
>>51987333
It's not "shill you shitty game" edition faggot.
>>
>>51988696
>should you just never, ever hope to win
No you got it right, that's the game you bring out when you want to be frustrated. If you want severely hard but possible try Samurai Spirit, or Pandemic + Lab, or Flash Point on the hardest level and using as many hot spots as you can.
>>
I really enjoy tactical games (I think it's tactical over strategical, I still confuse them at times) that force me to constantly revise plan I've created to win. I love the thrill of trying to weasel out of situations others try to put me in while doing the same to them.

That said, the only games I have that fit that description are Carcassonne and Blokus. Any recommendations on some other games that are highly tactical to add to my collection?
>>
File: image.png (776KB, 1041x781px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
776KB, 1041x781px
Are there any board games that have a particularly 80's cartoon feel to them?

or if there are any decent 80's board games based on cartoons that works too.
>>
Can anyone explain to me the difference between a war game and a game with war?
>>
>>51989807
venom assault has a very GI Joe feel
>>
What board game is the MOST thematic for you? Where the theme really comes through in the mechanics and on some level you really feel like you're doing whatever it is you're doing in the game?
>>
>>51990107
It's blurry, but in terms of board games a war game is more about simulating war while other games can have war in them without being simulation-oriented.
>>
>>51988307
8.5/10
>>
>>51990107
to me a wargame is about playing out a war and all the things it entails. a game with war is a game where you fight battles but you also have to do other things to win, even if those things only help the war effort. so if you have to manage resources and recruit soldiers and build some type of engine then thats a game with war. if you put models on the board against your opponents and see who is left standing/who accomplished the objective then that's a war game.

all this is imo
>>
>>51990268
Archipelago.

Steev's autism aside (tech up to torpedoes faster if you want to fight) Eclipse is gangster. I like how that works with resource cubes on whatever planets which shows you on your sheet how much shit you're getting. Feels like a space empire in a way that TI doesn't for me.

Kingdom Death really pushes a "group survival" method of thinking that I'm also pretty fond of.
>>
>>51990107
>Can anyone explain to me the difference between a war game and a game with war?
The difference is that in one case a 60 year old autist will screech at you for calling it a wargame and in the other case they won't.
>>
What's everyone's favorite two-player games?
>>
>>51989807
Keep an eye out for ironclad when it hits kickstarter soon.tm
>>
>>51991057
BattleCON. Hands down. Smartest game I've ever played. Only problem with it is that it's very skill based, so unless you and your opponents are evenly matched it'll skew heavily and people tend to get discouraged by losing repeatedly.
>>
>>51991057
My collection is small but I think I would say Onitama, even though it's just mini chess. I also have the core set for Star Wars X-Wing Minatures but I haven't had a chance to play it yet
>>
>>51991057
Ashes, Onitama, The Duke, BattleCON, 7 Wonders Duel, and though it probably doesn't count I really like Guild Ball.
>>
>>51990268
Eldritch horror definitely feels like fighting a cruel ancient god with how badly you can get screwed by chance sometimes, otherwise TI3 for that grand space emperor feeling.
>>
>>51990268
Aside from Terra Mystica? X-wing really feels like a dogfight where you're trying to out think your opponent, angle for the best shot, stay out of their sights, etc. That said a lot of dogfight games are able to get that part of the experience across thematically.

Ca$h n Gun$ (especially with the team variant) is really starting to feel like being in the movie Reservoir Dogs around our table lately. Trying to talk the other guy down so you don't have to shoot, but still get your way, regardless of whether your gun is loaded and you're willing to fire.
>>
>>51991057
X-wing, Netrunner, Jaipur, Santorini
>>
>>51991550
>and though it probably doesn't count I really like Guild Ball.
Guild Ball may not but I'll bet Kickoff! does
It comes in a box, has a board, and doesn't require any assembly -- close enough for my money. You really could treat it as a 2 player standalone board game and never touch the rest of the range.
>>
>>51991899
That's exactly what I have.
>>
>>51990460
Torpedoes already get bought instantly when they show up. But I'm more than willing to concede that we might not be playing as aggressively as we should.
>>
>>51985992
Bluffing/hidden information. It's the only real thing that can stop me calculating your entire game
>>
>>51986192
Game feels choking like you can never do anything
>>
>>51991057
Red7, Splendor, and Carcassonne are our main ones.
All of which are games that can be played casually by just about any non-gamer you meet, but also satisfyingly scale to some very advanced play. So it's cool when we're bluffing and sandbagging at each other in an intense mindgame of Red7, someone asks to join, and we can just switch to the Easy Rules and deal em right in.
>>
>>51992423
Be heard this before. Can you expand on it or do others have an opinion?
>>
>>51987333
Why is hex and chit such a dirty thing now? What the fuck is up with you plastic ponies insisting that games have to be over produced to insanity now?
>>
File: r348720425234.jpg (16KB, 231x244px) Image search: [Google]
r348720425234.jpg
16KB, 231x244px
>>51992417
>>
File: r234857205.jpg (75KB, 650x627px) Image search: [Google]
r234857205.jpg
75KB, 650x627px
>>51992459
but if it costs less than 300 dollars and has no kickstarter exclusives how could it possibly be a quality game?
>>
>>51990107
> Can anyone explain to me the difference between a war game and a game with war?
"War game" implies the game has historical accuracy. These are games that try to simulate actual historical battles.
>>
>>51991057
Patchwork.
>>
>>51992468
Dumb frog poster
>>
>>51992484
never heard that definition before, and i don't think it's a good definition personally. is warhammer not a war-game? if it's not then what would you classify it as? a skirmish game? but what about epic 40k then, that's certainly not a skirmish? dystopian wars is more in depth than most historically accurate war-games, what do you call that then? what about weird ww2 war-games, are they also not a war-game just because some of the troops have jetpacks or whatever? i just think isolating the term war-game based on theme and historical accuracy doesn't achieve anything.

but i don't play any war-games anymore so maybe I'm out of the loop.
>>
>>51992523
No, you're fine. It's just historicalfags bring prissy.
>>
>>51992450
I can second his opinion. I was not a fan of Cry Havoc. It's a game where you may very realistically get single digits worth of actions before it ends. It's balanced on a knife-edge where drawing a tile with 3 trogs on it vs. the normal 2 can lose you the game and yet also has a runaway leader problem due to how VPs are scored. And when the leader runs away it rewards them with it by ending the game before you can react.

>>51992459
Because appearance matters. People want to play games that look and feel as good as they play. Really this is the big contribution that the American board game market brought to the table -- even euros are becoming more and more dressed up. Presentation is enjoyable. It's not the only thing, but if given the choice between two games, both of which are good, and one looks good while the other looks like it came out of a commie-block factory people will choose the former.
>>
File: r2349850724.jpg (39KB, 720x539px) Image search: [Google]
r2349850724.jpg
39KB, 720x539px
>>51992498
I had already calculated that you would make that response, simpleton. find an easier hobby if your moves are this easy to predict.

to keep things board game related, have you ever gone to a casino and counted cards? you sounds confident enough that you could pull it off
>>
>>51992450
All the games you like are bad has a video explaining it perfectly.
>>
>>51992531
Okay but price IS a thing and not everyone wants to even go overboard on one type of material. I actually prefer counters because they're simpler and can have info printed directly like Space Empire 4X. That's why I think overproduction is a fad--you are ultimately pretty limited until Clix stop being copyrighted
>>
>>51992531
>>51992537
Thanks, that's a real shame. Cry Havoc looked like it'd be a lot of fun
>>
>>51992560
personally i think it's not a fad but i think eventually they will start publishing deluxe versions with models and basic versions with chits or stands or whatever and i actually like that idea
>>
>>51992532
Genuinely I've wanted to. I'm very practiced at blackjack and craps throws. Unfortunately I've had the following problems:
-total scared cat. Those security guys seem serious
-friends who already have done this that confirm they can spot it, kick you out, and list you before you make real money
-crippling smoke allergy and asthma
-until recently never had a job that permits the initial bankroll large enough to do it
>>
>>51992597
i can tell you with 100% certainty that the whole "i'm scared, they'll stop me" is absolute bullshit. they won't even look at you unless you're making tens of thousands of dollars or being suspicious as shit outside of your success. and if you're doing this to make tens of thousands of dollars then you're just getting greedy. it could fund a fun weekend in vegas
>>
>>51992523
>never heard that definition before
It's the one used by actual wargamefags.

>and i don't think it's a good definition personally.
I agree, but whatever.

>is warhammer not a war-game?
According to wargamefags anything fantasy-themed cannot be a wargame. They're all about "accuracy" and "realism".
>>
>>51990268
Tbh all of netrunners weird terminology and shit helped me immerse myself in the theme
Granted I've only ever played online and with other casual friends but I feel like it does a good job with the theme
>>
>>51992623
I agree with you. Which is why I was so upset when a friend of mine got kicked out just for being up 9000. Maybe he was being more suspicious than he knew. Regardless, I have a lot of other hurdles to clear. For now, I uselessly squander my love of math on games and arguing on the Internet
>>
>>51992531
>Really this is the big contribution that the American board game market brought to the tabl
I would say there's more thematic presence as well in the hybridization that's happened the last 10-15 years, but it's definitely A big contribution made by Western vs German games. Also your argument is the best one I've read in a while why people should stop complaining about over-produced games. Saving that pasta
>>
File: pic1730778.jpg (5MB, 2278x3648px) Image search: [Google]
pic1730778.jpg
5MB, 2278x3648px
>>51992560
Price is a thing, sure, but I'm not really convinced that you're making a good argument by citing GMT who historically way overcharges on games. Like seriously, Space Empires 4x has one mounted map, some dice, a rulebook, a play book, and four thin, low-quality counter sheets for $65 MSRP. I don't think that that's a good example of a low-price game.

And just to point out, you know MBP? It initially released with just counters. Exactly like you're talking about. It got great critical reviews and bombed at the market. Pic related is a component shot for the original release of the game I just nabbed off BGG for you.

Presentation matters. For mass market it's not enough to play well, it also has to look good doing it.
>>
>>51992664
>uselessly squander love on the internet
well you're in good company. and ya he must have done something, i know a few people who have won way more but they were winning a few grand (each mind you) at one casino they moved to another and did this daily for a week. i watched them and had some free drinks, so win-win for all of us
>>
>>51992684
>It got great critical reviews and bombed at the market.
Or maybe it isn't really that good of a game. Reviewers are idiots.
>>
>>51992684
Not to be overly antagonistic to the point of being petty, but I did want to point out some things:

Presumably, this game you backed hasn't shipped yet. And if the underlying game bombed...the evidence you just presented is that you, at best, don't know if it'll be good. And at worst, KNOW it will be bad. I'm not sure that's a very strong argument.

Price is always a concern. If you want to spend a shitload of money on a game with vastly more premium pieces than would be necessary for the average consumer, go ahead. Most people don't have that kind of money though, so it makes it a very niche market. You're talking the difference between something overpriced at $60 (which sold out nearly instantly, by the way) and something overpriced at $500. That's a big jump and the meat of the game ultimately has to carry that weight.

To defend myself somewhat, I'd like to go on record and say that I rarely pay any MSRP on overpriced games, especially GMT or FFG. However, I've actually pre-ordered Space Empires 4X using the P500 method at $42. That's a really good deal for a modernized hex and counter wargame.

Obviously any release that's "just counters" or "just minis" is going to be a niche appeal, but the people willing to make that transition narrow considerably when the game is even $100, much more when $500. Look at Mechs vs Minions. An INSANELY overproduced game with love and joy baked into every particle. And yet $75. Not that all games have to compete with that margin, but customers can only handle so much premium priced product before they're tapped out. That's why it may be a fad. KDM sold out both times, so I'm willing to be wrong. But when I played the game, it didn't really carry the weight of its price in my opinion.
>>
>>51992768
That's also possible. I haven't played it nor am I invested in it; I took one look at the MB:P KS and said to myself "self, do I really need another 2 player game?" and the answer was no, I already have BattleCON. And Guild Ball. And more. I just know of the existence of MB and that there was a small community of people who swore the game was brilliant even before the KS came around.

Regardless of whether they're right or wrong, it can't be denied that "overproducing" the game made it go from being a tiny sidenote of history to being a big name. And I put it in quote marks because really, it's not overproduced, not for its genre. Skirmish games like that usually do have models; MB was a bit of an oddity in the genre.
>>
>>51992834
I clarified in my last post, right as you made yours, I didn't back MB:P. I just brought it up as a counter point.

>and something overpriced at $500
It's a skirmish game. At $500 for buying everything it's actually *underpriced*. If I were to go out and buy everything available for Guild Ball or Malifaux or Infinity it would cost me way more than that. You're not supposed to buy the whole range -- you'll never use the whole range.

Compare apples to apples man. You're not doing that and it's making your argument weak and specious.
>>
>>51990188
Looks good and cheaper than I expected. I'll watch a couple reviews but I'll probably be picking it up.
>>51991090
Looks more /m/ to me, but I'm definitely interested. I'll keep an eye out for the KS.

So there really weren't any hidden gems of the 80's-90's?
>>
File: IMG_20170224_150051.jpg (591KB, 1210x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_150051.jpg
591KB, 1210x908px
Just played Millennium Blades coop. It's functional, but the game definitely shines more with player competition. I'm not shelving it forever like Star Realms coop, but I can't see myself pulling it out too much. Was intensely close though, pulled ahead by one point in the end remembering Cardine's coop power.
>>
>>51992864
That's not something I'm doing on purpose. I'm only using the information put in front of me. My argument isn't that the game doesn't deserve to exist, or you're having badwrongfun if you want to back it and play it. Just that for me, and I think a vast majority of the market out there, those kinds of price points don't get carried by the actual meat of the game in most cases. Just using Kingdom Death as an example again: I found it to be very enjoyable at what it does right but very annoying at what it doesn't do well (which can be a lot). Some of its mistakes turned me off from buying it because I expect better from that price point. It's sort of living in this world where people expect it to be graded better because of the minis, but really it has to stand on its own two legs. The minis are cool, definitely, but the gameplay is heavily flawed in the math department in several areas.

My ultimate point (that they are a "fad") is not meant to be disparaging in any way. Just that the price-to-game-value being doled out by these KS projects appears to be saturating the market super fast. And even if it weren't, it's so niche that I can't imagine any long-term presence of this sort of component abundance. If you enjoy this sort of thing, much like Legacy games, I suggest you dig in now.
>>
>>51992864
>buy everything available for Guild Ball or Malifaux or Infinity
Selling them piecemeal is actually what's causing that inflated price to begin with.
>>
>>51985992
Asymmetric games, like Chaos in the Old World or Here I Stand. Players having differing win conditions makes seeing who's winning harder and gives way more replayability. The down side is that having both experienced and inexperienced players at the table easily leads to a wildly unbalanced game.
>>
File: image.jpg (319KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
319KB, 1024x768px
>>51992867
>see they did a power ranger game
>get hype
>the art looks perfect
>see how cheap it is everywhere
>think it's odd that it depreciated in value so much

... and then I saw the actual game. Flimsy paper stands and the rules sound more tedious than anywhere near fun. A real shame considering how the art looks.
>>
>>51993083
Also, speaking of asymmetric games I wholeheartedly recommended the ones in COIN series each I've played thus far has been a delight.
>>
>>51992926
So I went and took a look at the MB:P KS page since if the two of us are going to be shitposting about it at least one of us should be informed, you know? What I can say is, it's definitely exploitative in the regular old kickstarter sense. KS exclusive shit everywhere, gotta buy it all here's your giant optional addon bundle to get everything and then here's another which is $100 more so you can have a custom storage tray and an RPG book and more dice and terrain etc etc. I always hate campaigns like that. That said, outside of those non-gameplay things, it's actually $400 for everything, and just the core game + stretch goals was a whole $100. And that right there is quite a pile of stuff -- looks like a total of 12 different gods (factions? not sure) plus a lot of various units. That's already more content than the original Mythic Battles plus both of its expansions (at least it appears to be from here).

So really, what they're guilty of is adding a lot of expansions and then preying on people's need to own everything. That latter part? Definitely bad. But when people want what you're making and so you make more of it... is that really a sin, anon? Seriously, can we fault them for that? Pic related was their all-in gameplay bundle. Each of those big boxes has what appears to be a new faction to play.

And, I mean, I hate to break it to you but if you think this is a fad then this fad's been going on since at least 2012. The MB:P campaign is a straight out copy of CMoN's campaign model. It's nothing new. It's been going on for years, and we're gonna see another exact copy of that here in a couple of days when Rising Sun hits KS.

Really, I'm not getting the sense that what you're railing against really exists outside of Kingdom Death and Cthulhu Wars. MB:P isn't overproduced -- there's just a lot of shit there and they suckered some fools into buying too much of it. But that's not what overproduction means.
>>
File: pic3189350_lg.jpg (1MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pic3189350_lg.jpg
1MB, 1024x1024px
Just bought Aeon's End + Depths expansion
And Core Worlds + Galactic Orders expansion
And Patchwork

How'd I do? I put a lot of thought into this order, so I'm hoping these games are as good as they seem.
>>
This is probably a stupid question, but how does 7 Wonders play with just 2 people? Getting Duels is likely the better choice, but there's a possibility for a third player for 7 Wonders every now and then
>>
>>51993314
It's not a stupid question, actually. There are some who claim that 7 Wonders is at its best with two players. I personally think they're batshit crazy, but I've heard it said a couple of times. It's a much different game than at larger player counts, with a much greater repeat count of things coming back around the table.

Duel is pretty baller, but keep in mind it's a cutthroat game. If you're gaming with your SO and they're a bit of a carebear then you might be better off with original 7 Wonders instead. But if you and your opponent are fine with some straight out piss-in-your-cheerios gameplay then go for it, it's a great game.
>>
>>51993351
So they play differently enough that getting both down the line won't be redundant?
>>
>>51993383
I would say that that's accurate, yes. The mechanics are similar, but the experience is vastly different.
>>
>>51992926
>[Kingdom Death is] sort of living in this world where people expect it to be graded better because of the minis, but really it has to stand on its own two legs
I hate to break it to you but if this is how you feel then you are not the target market for Kingdom Death. Which explains why you're confused and annoyed at it. Kingdom Death's target audience is the confluence of miniature painters and gamers -- people who want to paint really good models and also at the same time want to play the game that is Kingdom Death. I would never ever recommend Kingdom Death to anyone who didn't tick both of those boxes because as you note you'll be paying way too fucking much extra for those minis.

The extra cost Kingdom Death comes with is entirely based on the material their miniatures are made out of. If you are going to paint minis, then material really matters. Sharp, clear relief makes painting both easier and more satisfying -- painting muddy, murky board game quality minis is pretty drab work. Sure, you *could* go buy nothing but Reaper Bones and paint them for a fraction of the price, just like you could go buy army men from the Dollar Tree and paint them, but if you're going to be spending all those hours of effort on making a mini look as good as possible then it feels right that the mini itself should be as good as possible to begin with, you know? But if you're not in it to paint the minis then it really doesn't matter if they're made out of HIPS or PVC -- sure the HIPS minis would look a little better unpainted but nowhere near enough to justify 4-5x the cost.

Really what it comes down to is what you're getting out of the thing you're buying. If you're just looking for a game, then Kingdom Death isn't the one for you -- even if you really like it. But if you're looking for a game and also some of the best minis ever made in order to paint them because painting is fun and rewarding then Kingdom Death may be something you'd be interested in.
>>
>>51993555
You're just not even paying attention to what I said at all. The minis aren't a problem. But they also don't excuse blatantly broken or flawed game design. You will never convince me this game's plastic covers glaring holes in the CRTs, card effects, and dice math. The fact that this guy released it a second time without even correcting the typographical errors in the manual goes to prove my point.
>>
>>51993570
Goddamn man, and here I was actually trying to level with you and you throw this bullshit out.
>glaring holes in the CRTs, card effects, and dice math.
Right. Good way to show you're talking out of your ass.

Like fuck, the game's not perfect of course it isn't, but absolutely nothing you just said even makes sense let alone are issues with the game. But you're not here for conversation, you're just here to shitpost.
>>
>>51993570
Neither of you are listening to each other. You're making entirely different points and there is no reason to continue your discussion. He is saying some people get a lot out of kingdom death and rate it highly because they get what they want from it. you're saying the gameplay issues weren't improved because they thought they deserved a good rating for providing a visually impressive game.

Basically you're both right. The publisher of KDM knew he didn't have to fix anything, so he didn't. At the same time the target audience of KDM doesn't care. It did a great job of appealing to the customers it wanted.

And this is indicative of the industry. Some games are made to be good and to hell with what it looks like. Some games give you cool toys and rules to play with them if you want. Some games are somewhere between. No problem with that, and there's no problem with only liking some or one or all or none of those categories.

You guys are having some good discussion and I'm not trying to discourage it, just don't wanna see another thread devolve so I thought I'd throw out an outsiders view on the discussion.
>>
>>51993590
Have you actually paid attention to the game you played? I did an entire campaign and that shit was fishy right from the start. "Have no idea what I'm talking about" oh? Howabout we itemize this one at a time. I'll start with

>The game forgets some numbers in its resolution tables, such as 7, leaving you with no resolution when they occur. This happens multiple times on terrain tables, village events, and book events.
>>
>>51993570
>The fact that this guy released it a second time without even correcting the typographical errors in the manual goes to prove my point.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/posts/1796365
>First one up. Getting all those last minute typo's and adjustments into the 1.5 Core Game, which I need to 100% sign off on by Feb 8th. Gonna be some loooong hours in the fistful of days!
0/10 see me after class.
>>
>>51993590
would have tagged you in >>51993609
too if id been faster
>>
>>51993590
>>51993617
Here comes the KDM Defense Force as usual. Can you autists get the fuck out and go to your containment thread? Or did that die too.
>>
>>51993614
>This happens multiple times on terrain tables, village events, and book events.
This happens with the debris card and literally just that. One fucking card in the entire game. You are just making shit right up -- and this is the best you can do.

And you know what? It's been fixed. Fucking whoop-de-doo.
>>
>>51993632
>nobody can ever say anything positive about a game I don't like!
>don't cite sources and provide actual facts that counter arguments against a game I don't like, that's bad!
Get the fuck out, you aren't welcome here.
>>
>>51993642
Warhammer 40k dice system that has a double nested to-hit roll when you don't use buckets of dice, resulting in laughably low hit percentages that are unnecessary anyway since only ONE to-hit would be necessary to get that effect. In effect, wasting player time at a poorly thought out mechanic that doesn't do what 40k's does.
>>
>>51993642
>>51993665
Just keep proving me right, autist. You fanboys pull this shit every time even a single tiny negative point about KDM comes up and act like it's flawless 10/10 no mistakes. When mistakes are rubbed in your faces like little puppies that shit on the floor, you downplay them and tell people to "grow up" for wanting a competent game designer.
>>
Has anyone here play the Buffy the Vampire Slayer game that came out a few months ago? My gf loves that show and ordered it and I watched a video and it looks like a super light eldritch horror kinda but wondering if anyone has any experience with it (as unlikely as I'm assuming that is)
>>
>>51993674
Oh my god really anon? That's the best you can do? You don't like that the game has a to-hit roll and a to-wound roll? Even when the game actively plays with the design space that creates, making some weapons with high speed and low strength that pull lots of hit locations and sometimes have very good turns but risk getting their shit pushed in by reactions and traps whereas other weapons are slow but reliable pulling fewer reactions but being more likely to wound and avoid the negative effects?

That's a, and I quote, "glaring hole in the... dice math"? Even daring to touch a mechanic that you personally dislike -- even if they explore it and create meaningful choices with in it -- that's an objective flaw to you?

Right. You didn't get that far in. You played the tutorial and maybe even the first hunt and didn't like it. I get that. But that doesn't make you an expert on the game, anon. And it doesn't make your opinions facts.
>>
>>51993729
>Right. You didn't get that far in. You played the tutorial and maybe even the first hunt and didn't like it. I get that.
This is the kind of blind fanboyism that makes people hate KDMfags
>>
>>51993609
A centrist appeal to moderation is just weakness.

>The publisher of KDM knew he didn't have to fix anything, so he didn't.
No. Seriously, this sentiment is objectively wrong. Half the point of the new kickstarter was to improve the core game -- which there were real issues with. Typos, unclear cards, a couple vague rules, some key things missing from the glossary, etc. And on the content side, the hunt phase was ass, the final boss sucked and there were balance issues with some of the principles and innovations.

And you know what? Supposedly, at least, those have all been fixed. They completed a huge edit pass on the whole game. The final boss got buffed significantly, and then a new one put beyond him. The hunt table got completely rewritten. The innovations and principles have been rebalanced.

I played through a full solo campaign on tabletop simulator before backing. Those four things were the largest issues I had with the game. Maybe he fucks up in fixing them -- I can't see into the future. I can't help but feel like the new hunt table isn't going to be much better than the old one. But the thing is, I would gladly be playing more campaigns on TTS right now if not for the fact that I don't want to burn out on the game before it arrives. I found the game to be that enjoyable, even through the shitty meme-tastic simulator that is TTS.

>>51993743
If he'd played the game he would know what I'm talking about. But he didn't even bother to bring it up and his whole argument was "they use this system that's bad in another game so it's bad here". So no, he didn't get that far into the game and was just making shit up to fluff up his argument. I call it like it is.
>>
File: r23489052402.jpg (161KB, 999x749px) Image search: [Google]
r23489052402.jpg
161KB, 999x749px
>>51993831
You've made your points man, just move on. I promise you that his continuing to have a differing opinion will affect your life in exactly zero ways. No reason to keep screeching about it, we've heard you. It's ok to rest now.
>>
>>51993831
Fanboys continue shitting up the thread yet again. We will never be free from their venom and bullshit.
>>
>>51993908
This for the love of fuck. Everyone has had their say enough already.
>>
is quarriors a fun game? i like the idea of deck builders but they all get boring to me after a few plays and I'm thinking using dice might make it more fun because of the added chance.
>>
>>51993228
Patchwork is tried and true, most people I play it with seem to enjoy it. Aeon's End is very good if you like the genre.
>>
>>51993642
>This happens with the debris card and literally just that.
I just went through my copy and found one example on the Debris terrain card, one example on the Strange Lights settlement event card, and one example on hunt event 31. There's probably about 150 tables in this game and three are missing one number. Chances are that anon probably just missed the fact that the tables he was rolling on had a + beside a number.

>>51993954
I did not like Quarriors, but I also don't like deck builders. It's been a while since I played it, I just remember being very underwhelmed by it.
>>
File: 1265767012958.jpg (71KB, 1290x491px) Image search: [Google]
1265767012958.jpg
71KB, 1290x491px
>hosting first ever game night tommorow
Any tips desu? We're playing Millennium Blades
>>
>>51994033
Hey Chris.
>>
>>51994033
Just act like a normal person desu. If you're teaching the game maybe set it up before people get there to cut down on time and read up a bit before they get there so you know the rules well. If you're not teaching it just chill out. These people are your friends so if something happens that irritates you or something just ask them to stop. There are so many autistic posts on this site because people at game nights refuse to just tell people things like "please use a coaster" or "please use a napkin, this game is expensive". Don't freak yourself out man, you're supposed to have fun too.
>>
>>51994039
My name isn't chris sorry anon, is chris a cute boy though
>>
>>51994059
Damn, it was worth a shot. I am actually going over to a Chris's place tomorrow night to play Millennium Blades, and I could definitely see him posting here.
>>
File: r3489052.jpg (30KB, 400x391px) Image search: [Google]
r3489052.jpg
30KB, 400x391px
>>51994066
I'm also curious and you didn't answer: Pics of Chris?
>>
>>51994066
Chris pics NOW

>>51994053
Thanks anon, I'm usually pretty autistic but I'll be chill
>>
>>51993729
>Right. You didn't get that far in. You played the tutorial and maybe even the first hunt and didn't like it
Original person you called out here. I'd just like to clear up some things for you, since you seem to be sorely mistaken in many areas. My group not only finished the campaign, but I gave this game a 7/10 on BGG. Which would've been a perfect 10/10 had it not been for the aforementioned flaws. So as you can see, I liked the rest of the game enough that the flaws didn't even drag it down from being a good game in my eyes. I'm harsher on it even moreso because these flaws could be easily fixed for the most part, and I have a longer much mathier rant that I've posted to my close friends about it. You seem to be mistaken about the idea that we didn't get far simply because I don't happen to share your views, experiences, or values relative to the time spent. Further, you seem to be mistaken about how much I actually do value the game and indeed my original point: which was to use KD as a single small example of people forgiving what I consider to be vast errors in gameplay simply due to other presentation elements. This was an expression of frustration at the game's fanbase and consumers not holding the creator more accountable based on a vanity aspect of it, not a complete condemnation of the entire game.

In actual fact, I quite liked KD and if those aspects were ever to be fixed to my satisfaction, I could see owning a copy myself instead of going to a friend's house to play every time. For me, a high dollar purchase like this needs more polish. If that's not how you feel about purchases of this range, more power to you.

Lastly, keep in mind not every reply to your posts is the same person. You might want to be more diplomatic in the future. MythicBattles-guy is a good example of that.
>>
File: image.jpg (488KB, 450x711px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
488KB, 450x711px
are there any high quality pics of the cards from this expansion? At this point it's cheaper just to make your own custom cards than shell out 200 dollars for a couple out of print pieces of cardboard.
>>
>>51988797
Still managed to trigger an autist. :^)
>>
Any recommendations for a tile based board game with RPG mechanics?
>>
File: r3485720349852.jpg (161KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
r3485720349852.jpg
161KB, 1280x720px
>>51994422
>>
>>51994466
all of them, what are you looking for more specifically? anything in the dungeon crawling category is gonna have you laying tiles and doing rp type shit. any theme you're looking for? do you want it to be co op or not? do you want it to be hard or just fun?
>>
>>51994466
Doom
>>
>>51994487
I want it to be a dungeon crawler tile dropper game with the option of co-op or deciding to betray players at will with both fun and intense gameplay.
Anything close to that description is ok
>>
>>51994525
Cutthroat Caverns
>>
>>51994535
That's not a tile laying game though. I actually don't know any that have betrayal desu. There are 1v all games like descent but it doesn't sound like that's what you want
>>
I'm looking for a recomendation fellas.
My gf and I want to have a game that is like our own thing, so we're looking for:

>2players
>maybe a persistent character (legacy style, but please not pandemic)
>something that's just a neat experience

So just a good midlength 2 player game I guess.
>>
>>51994875
bloodbowl
>>
>>51994875
Jaipur
>>
>>51994875
Stronghold, Second Edition if you can handle wooden cubes
>>
I want to get mage knight, what are the needed expansions to get the full experience?
>>
What are the popular games recently?
>>
>>51995246
Whatever plastic pushers just got released on Kickshitter as usual. I'm not bitter, you're bitter.
>>
>>51995246
Coop garbage and attack of overproduced boring euroclones.
>>
>>51995258
It's your fault if you are bitter, anon. Don't push the responsibility onto me.
>>
>>51995272
Sigh.

I'm just tired of the hype. I see people going to big cons every year bringing back 5/6 games they won't actually keep that year because HYPE HYPE MUST BUY EVERYTHING AT MSRP RIGHT NOW! Then going home and backing $400 worth of plastic poopers on KS (only to wait a year+ to actually receive them).

What the fuck are we doing, /bgg/? It feels like the video game industry all over again.
>>
>>51995287
Like I said, I don't give a shit about your mood. If you are tired, get the fuck off the internet and go vent some frustration on a punching bag or something.

I just asked for the "actual games" that are currently popular.
>>
>>51995287
>tired of hype

nigger have you never played video games. i got rid of hype when spore came out. that game was the last straw.

when the latest sim city was announced there was so much hype, and i was like "lets wait for gameplay"

turned out to be the biggest shit that year.
>>
File: gkr heavy hitters.png (697KB, 680x697px) Image search: [Google]
gkr heavy hitters.png
697KB, 680x697px
Alright guys redpill me on this. Anyone here who backed this? What's so compelling about it? Been pondering it for a couple days now and don't really see the appeal. The gameplay looks extremely shallow, even for a plastic pusher. Plus there's not much in the box for such a price.
>>
>>51991057
Neuroshima: Hex, Imperial Settlers, m:tg.

Buying War of the Ring and hoping it will be better then all of them.
>>
>>51991652
Terra Mystica is thematic? I love the game but it's a very abstract game with a theme shoved in.
>>
>>51985992
I dont get the picture. Why is everyone so fascinated?
>>
>>51995410
Sounds like you're already redpilled anon.
>>
>>51995618
Go read through the previous thread(s) to get understanding and an unhealthy does of autism/shitposting.
>>
>>51993228
Ah Core Worlds, a solid deck builder with a lot of strategic options. Check out the Board Game Geek page for it - there's a really nice free play mat that someone there created for it.
>>
>>51995246
>What are the popular games recently?
https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame?sort=numvoters&sortdir=desc

Search for '2015' and '2014' on the first page.
>>
>>51995410
>Please redpill me on this shit game we've discussed twice now.

It's kickstarter bait crap. Just read the rulebook and see for yourself
>>
>>51990107
>Can anyone explain to me the difference between a war game and a game with war?

Sure, regardless of genre (Fantasy, Historical, Sci-Fi, etc,) a 'War Game' is going to be a game where the primary (and in many cases ONLY) way to win is through direct violent conflict. This would cover games like OGRE, Advanced Squad Leader, Heroes of Normandie, Stronghold and even more abstract war games like Small World. Meanwhile, games like 7 Wonders, Scythe, or Twilight Imperium 3 include violent conflict as possible game mechanics / strategies - but they aren't the only, or even the primary way to win the game. In TI3 for example, you can go the full military route and even eliminate other players. However doing so often results in said 'military' player actually failing to meet their primary objectives and losing the game.
>>
File: 1438470575588.png (78KB, 280x320px) Image search: [Google]
1438470575588.png
78KB, 280x320px
>>51995748
>https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame?sort=numvoters&sortdir=desc
>Pandemic Legacy is number 1
>>
>>51992523
>never heard that definition before,

I've been war gaming since the 80's and I've never heard it before either...

>and i don't think it's a good definition personally

It isn't. It suffers a serious case of 'genre blindness' and comes off as a historical-fag whining about "Stop liking what I don't like..."
>>
>>51996033
No, Catan is number 1.
>>
>>51996011
>a game where the primary (and in many cases ONLY) way to win is through direct violent conflict
Oh come on! By that definition checkers is a wargame.

Obviously a real wargame must involve a great deal of 'realism', whatever that means.
>>
>>51994466
Mage Knight?
>>
What's your opinion on semi-cooperative games, a la Archipelago? Does it rely on having a group with the right mind set?
>>
>>51997314
Well Archipelago is a special beast because of the incessant haggling "no I don't want to godamn negotiate over your pineapple cube for the 50th time let's just move the fucking game along" in that you absolutely have to be in the right mood to play it. General semi-coops? Probably not.
>>
File: CloseImpossibleAlbertosaurus.gif (7MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
CloseImpossibleAlbertosaurus.gif
7MB, 500x500px
>>51993089
Played the shit out of this as a kid, wonder if my grandmother still has it somewhere.
But yeah, it was garbage.

>>51994499
I definitely wouldn't say that doom has RPG mechanics, they basically dropped all of that stuff compared to Descent and Imperial Assault.

>>51994875
Netrunner has a legacy-style expansion that should be out soon. Not quite standalone, also requires a core set.

>>51995410
Sexy pieces that are probably still a little overhyped.
Interesting hand and card management, and near-abstract area control undermined by garbage dice chucking combat resolution.
It might be salvageable, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort.
I'm much more excited about giga robo for a robot fightan dice chucker despite generally disliking the anumi mecha aesthetic in general and much more bland art in specific.

I need more games with macross missile massacres.
>>
File: War of the Ring SPI Map3.jpg (157KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
War of the Ring SPI Map3.jpg
157KB, 500x375px
>>51996192
>Oh come on! By that definition checkers is a wargame.

It could be - but probably isn't. If the individual checkers were meant to be abstractions for actual warriors or entire units, then it would be a very very abstract war game. However nothing I've found indicates that the 'checkers' were ever meant to be that. The game is approximately 3000 years old and was original played on a smaller board. Later, the French adapted it to be played on a Chess board adding more pieces per side and mandated 'jumping'. Because it isn't simulating any sort of military conflict it would simply fall into the 'abstract strategy' game category as far as I can tell.

>Obviously a real wargame must involve a great deal of 'realism', whatever that means.

Heh! Yes, undoubtedly SPI's classic War of the Rings game involves a lot of highly researched ballistic data on ork archery and trebuchet fire.
>>
I know Gloomhaven is primarily a dungeon crawler, but I got to ask - how good is the story?
Is it interesting at all, or just a background for different missions?
>>
>>51999199
Wow, you're a total retard. So according to you, whether or not checkers is a wargame comes down to whatever theme the anonymous creator had in mind 3000 years ago?

Anyways, trust me: all abstract two-player direct conflict games (chess, checkers, go, nine men morris, etc.) were originally supposed to represent battles and warriors. Look it up on Wikipedia.
>>
>>51999348
abstract strategy game

n.
1) A game generally limited to two players and perfect information (i.e. no randomness) often with incidental or irrelevant theme. (Chess does have a theme, but it can be ignored. A bishop is just the name of a piece that moves diagonally.)
2) A game with no theme.

wargame

n. A game in which players put military units or military-type units in direct or indirect conflict with each other. The goal of these games is typically annihilation of opponents and/or the attainment of certain strategic conditions. These types of games will often have high thematic content and a varying degree of abstraction. (See also miniatures game). Wargames are subdivided into three general scales: Strategic, Operational and Tactical. (See also simulation)
>>
>>51999429
So chess is a wargame?
>>
When did /tg/ become this pedantic?
>>
>>51999334
So far it's just background. Really, the legacy elements are just the icing on the cake, the glue that binds the scenarios together. It's the gameplay that is getting it so much hype.
>>
>>51999429
No, that's a battle. War is grand strategy
>>
>>51999501
By these two definitions it would fall into the category of war gaming.

>>51999723
That argument fails when we look at the HUGE number of 'war games' that consist of only a single battle i.e. Napoleon at Waterloo which is a very well known hex & chit war game.
>>
>>51999513
That's honestly pretty sad to hear.

I was looking for a game with good RPG mechanics and a good story to top it off.
Maybe one day a boardgame will have a plot that I'll remember for years to come.
>>
>>51999513
Is the hype justified?
>>
File: IMG_8664.jpg (155KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8664.jpg
155KB, 700x500px
>>51999975
I heard you were wanting a game with a good plot?
>>
>>52000420
>Is the hype justified?
I get mobbed by people who want to play it whenever I bring it to board game night. I'd say it's justified. I am thoroughly enjoying it and expect to continue enjoying it as time goes on.
>>
>>52000669
>lots of people want to play it is the definition of hype
>claims that lots of people wanting to play it justifies the hype
At least answer the man's question in a logical way ffs. You have told us nothing about the game, why it is good, what makes the hype justified. If you legitimately liked it and thought it was good you'd have something of substance to say.
>>
>>52000476
Kojima making a boardgame when
>>
>>52000770
I've said multiple times in these threads why I enjoy the game. If you ask a generic question you get a generic answer. I'm not here to spoonfeed you; there's gameplay explanations literally everywhere on the internet if you'd only bother looking.

And fuck, if people repeatedly asking to play a game isn't enough evidence that it's a hit with my group then I seriously can't help you. Apparently all my friends, who had never heard of the game before I brought, all just fell for the hype and only want to play it because of that and not because they enjoy it. God, can't someone go tell them they're having badwrongfun?
>>
File: bonedweare.png (176KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bonedweare.png
176KB, 550x512px
>>52000849
>gets asked to explain why he likes the game in a board game thread
>throws a bitch fit
Kinda leads to me believe we're dealing with a person who realized far too late that he bought a shit ks game based on the hype and will never admit it so just REEEEEEs whenever someone suggests that the game isn't 10/10. Sorry for your buyer's remorse anon, I was actually hoping you'd be able to tell me about the game but clearly talking about it is quite painful for you. Hope you make better decisions in the future.
>>
>>52000983
>>52000770
>>51999429
>>51999348

What happened, /tg/?
>>
>>52000983
>all this projection
Go shitpost somewhere else. It's obvious to all that you just want any excuse to hate anything that people profess an interest in.
>>
>>51999975
>Maybe one day a boardgame will have a plot that I'll remember for years to come.
Anon, those are called "RPG's", not "boardgames".
>>
>>51999334
The "story" accounts for an insane amount of time taken playing the game and is there for no reason other than they can tell people it's a legacy game. The combat is the best part of the game and the idea of leveling up the town sounds great but they've made doing all of the bookkeeping and stuff so fucking irritating that it's more fun to just draw random gear and run random scenarios than deal with the headache unless you really do not ming spending more time setting up than playing. Also remember that you might blow through a dungeon, do your bookkeeping, then want to play another one. Now you need to add even more set up and tear down in between your set up and tear down. This is in contrast to something like KDM where there is just a board you play on and you just grab a model to fight and maybe some terrain. Here you have to construct the dungeon, grab the not-models they give you, and find their combat decks after putting all that stuff from the first dungeon away.

tl;dr if you don't fall in love with the story in Gloomhaven then dealing with it will irritate the piss out of you, but the actual gameplay is good
>>
>>52001065
Yeah and maybe one day a boardgame will have a good plot inside the box.
Which RPG's plot do you remember? The D&D one?
>>
>>52001092
>Which RPG's plot do you remember? The D&D one?
The RPG is just the framework, the story part comes from your GM, you dumbass.

If you don't have a good GM you can buy pre-cooked RPG campaigns.

Seriously, do you even know what paper-and-pencil RPG's are? They're exactly what you want, you're in the wrong thread.
>>
>>51999501
Of course it is, man. Chess is the very definition of wargame, with the Kings being the avatars of each player. Destroying enemy units to clear the way and asserting dominance over a territory is what war truly is about in terms of goal. Chess was from the start made only with the aim of replicating the concept of war on a smaller scale. And since war is what humans do best since the beginning of times, chess stuck and is an absolute classic, perhaps the most classic game of all.
>>
>>52001092
>Which RPG's plot do you remember? The D&D one?

Murder-hobo - The Game! The Vidya! THE MOVIE!!!!

Anon, you make me smile.
>>
File: r24852708009842.png (908KB, 700x775px) Image search: [Google]
r24852708009842.png
908KB, 700x775px
>>52001015
>projection
>shitpost
Lol buzzword harder. Interesting how you still have nothing good to say about the game. You're willing to expend energy name calling but not willing to take the opportunity to discuss something you allegedly enjoy. You're really not looking credible here, anon. All I want is to hear your thoughts on specifics of the game but I know you don't care because you have nothing positive to say about it and are afraid to admit it. I'm sure you won't respond because you have better things to do than stay here and shit this place up with your non-opinions and name calling right?
>>
>>52001131

Oh I'm sorry anon, I thought you said that 'something with a plot that I'll remember for years' is called an RPG, not a boardgame.

If that's not what you're saying, then this post is veeery confusing
>>52001065

Don't be so glum.
>>
>>52001085
The setup and teardown is monstrous and is definitely the worst part of the game, yeah. I've found it helps a lot to delegate out the load -- I almost always play it with four, so I have one person get the tiles, another get the decorations, and the third dig out the monster standees while I prep the rest. Cuts setup time a lot.

I don't understand your complaint about bookkeeping at all though. There's almost no bookkeeping in the game. Like seriously, after a scenario you write down the experience and gold each character got, add a scenario or two to the map (or not, not all scenarios unlock more), and you check off the scenario in the booklet. Takes a whole 60 seconds if that.

>>52001158
I am so sorry that I did not answer the question you didn't even ask and it triggered your autism this hard. Now go shitpost somewhere else.
>>
File: r48397024520.png (299KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
r48397024520.png
299KB, 1200x1000px
>>52001240
>he's still throwing around buzzwords like they're going out of style
>still refuses to say one single positive thing about something he allegedly loves
wew lad. how many hours did you have to work to buy that pile of shit, anyway? minimum wage (inb4 you try to convince us someone of your calibre is making more, no one here is that naive) is about, what, 9 bucks? gloom haven was like 120...man, more than an entire waking day down the drain and you're here, trying to convince us and yourself that it wasn't for nought. I would pity you if you'd just contribute to the board game aspect of this thread but you're too sad to actually discuss the game.

Tell ya what, let's talk about another game to get your mind off of it. What's a game you bought that you didn't regret? What did you like about it and is it a game you played before you bought? Can't wait to see you productively contribute to the board, friend!
>>
>>52001240
>hey guys, come work for me so i can play the game!
>even used the word delegate as if your friends are slaves
wow you're a prick
>no bookkeeping
have you even played the game? jesus christ now i'm actually thinking you're someone who watched a video about the game and decided to start posting about it
>>
>>52001351
>Can't wait to see you productively contribute to the board, friend!
Oh I do. With people who aren't prowling around looking for even the barest excuse to shitpost.

>>52001376
>hey guys, come work for me so i can play the game!
>even used the word delegate as if your friends are slaves
>wow you're a prick
Good god you've got social issues if this is how you actually feel. Do you think people would rather sit there and watch me spend ten minutes doing all the setup while they twiddle their thumbs? People, believe it or not, tend to be quite nice when you get to know them, and actually like to help with shit like this.

>have you even played the game? jesus christ now i'm actually thinking you're someone who watched a video about the game and decided to start posting about it
Have you? I provided my evidence. It takes me about 60 seconds to do all the bookkeeping that a two and a half hour scenario incurs. But instead of making any sort of counterpoint you'd rather just accuse me of wrongdoing.

Christ this general has gone to shit in the past couple of months. People actually think this kind of behavior is acceptable. It's mind boggling.
>>
>>52001480
holy fuck man you are so far up your own ass that not only do you refuse to actually talk about the game but all you do is call people names when they ask you to. if you really hate this general so much please leave.
>>
>>52001480
>Christ this general has gone to shit in the past couple of months.
Yeah, what happened? I haven't been here in a while, but this particular thread is really offputting.
>>
>>52001480
>he, himself, states that he delegates things to his friends
>tells us we have social issues
wew
e
w
>>
>>52001480
If you really believe it takes only 60 seconds to do bookkeeping you are either trolling (which, based on your past responses, seems very likely) or you're skipping crucial steps.

That is, assuming you've actually played the game which, as >>52001376 pointed out, is sounding less and less likely with each of your posts.
>>
>>52001480
people like you are the reason anon post "i had a shit time at board game night" posts. you make people you invite to play your game work for the privilege and you clearly don't know how to play the game if you think there's no bookkeeping. i really think were just all getting rused
>>
>>52001240
>there's almost no bookkeeping in the game
and now there's no reason to believe a word you've said
>>
>>52001480
>claims he contributes to the board
>all his post did was call names and complain
do you even believe the words you say, or do you at least recognize you're a joke?
>>
File: r249875204592.jpg (72KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
r249875204592.jpg
72KB, 300x300px
>>52001480
>>
>>52001519
Haven't been following this thread, but if it's anything like the others, we're just having an influx of trolls. Ever since the Santorini bullshit like a month ago, they caught the scent of blood.
>>
I've finally started buying my own board games after playing quite a bit with some friend groups. I thought I might come here to get a better lay of the scene. Over the past couple threads I've seen, a bunch of you are completely detached from reality and have nothing better to do but passive aggressively shit on each other. How any of you get people to play board games with you is beyond me. I'm just going to tell you as someone walking into the middle here that it's toxic as all hell and you people must live such sad lives. Like how can people take simulated card and board games so seriously that you need to belittle everyone around you in the hobby? It's genuinely depressing. I would stick around to enjoy all the (you)s I get, but it's really not fun anymore to sit here and watch this general crawl along.

This is actually the worst general /tg/ general I've ever stumbled upon. Sure I try and avoid the shit ones, but that's still a really low bar.
>>
>>52001685
Santorini bullshit?
>>
>>52001724
People either love or hate that game so of course it has to make autists lose their shit.
>>
>>52001724
Someone went on an autistic rant about how everyone who likes it is retarded. He consumed the entire thread copy and pasting shit and calling people names saying he wasn't going to stop until everyone hated the game.
>>
File: r240982724905.jpg (19KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
r240982724905.jpg
19KB, 499x499px
>>52000849
>>52001015
>>52001240
>>52001480
>>
>>52001724
Someone actually tried to convince people that Santorini was a good game. Of course at least one person lost their shit.
>>
Hey guys, relax and just talk about the latest game you've played.
>>
>>52001240
This is one of the most delusional things I have ever read in my life.
>>
>>52001809
Last game I played was DC Deck Builder. It's fine, my friend really likes it so we play it once in a while. The last new game I played was Abyss. It was simple to play and looks great, but the overall gameplay was just alright.

What's the last game you played?
>>
To be honest, I sometimes also have the people playing with me prep something, at least only if it's about shuffling some cards.

I'm quite unused and bad at shuffling cards.
>>
>>52001874
That's different than delegating jobs to people
>>
>>52001874
I thought that's normal to be honest.
I guess teamwork is not something that many people practice
>>
>>52001548
>If you really believe it takes only 60 seconds to do bookkeeping you are either trolling (which, based on your past responses, seems very likely) or you're skipping crucial steps.
What steps? Fucking name a single one. One step I skipped. I said exactly what I did and why it takes so little time in >>52001240 and if you have a counterpoint then actually state it rather than just declaring that you're right.

One step. Tell me one step I missed or else you're just talking out your ass like everyone else with no actual point just the innate need to be right.

>>52001569
Christ you're autistic. If you think people would rather stand around watching someone else do all the setup than help then I really cannot overstate the fact that you have no social awareness whatsoever.
>>
>>52001919
>he just keeps name calling
dude just give it up. everything you say is a farce to itself. you clearly haven't even played the game. you refuse to just calm down, stop posting, and move on with your life. why do you insist on derailing threads like this all the time? if you really think someone is autistic just stop responding to them, don't keep making claims that are just asinine. you already said you've lost patience with this general, so just leave. you'd be happier and so will everyone else
>>
>>52001919
wow i haven't seen someone spam out like this in a while. dude if you're only bookkeeping for 60 seconds i don't even know what the fuck you're doing but it sure as hell isn't playing the game properly
>>
>>52001919
>repeating his lies while calling other people liars
who do you think you are talking about social awareness?
>>
>>52001957
>i don't even know what the fuck you're doing but it sure as hell isn't playing the game properly
That's because you haven't read my post. Or, more likely, you have, but can't countermand what I said and so you continue to shitpost because that's your only defense.
>>
Does Pen and Paper belong here?
>>
File: r2349085720458.png (377KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
r2349085720458.png
377KB, 657x527px
>>52001919
>>
>>52001983
Dude just admit you don't play Gloomhaven. You got caught lying, it's not a big deal but you just insist on shitting up the thread with incorrect information and I really don't understand why this is fun to you.
>>
>>52001986
Sure, what you playing?
>>
>>52002033

DSA
I wanted to exchange myself with experienced players ;_;
>>
File: IMG_20170303_171723.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170303_171723.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>52001947
>>52002020
Or, I'm the only one here who has played the game and everyone else is just shitposting because it's more popular to hate on something than to even tolerate someone else enjoying it.

>You got caught lying,
Go fuck yourself. I said exactly what bookkeeping I do after scenarios. Why can't you point out a single thing I'm missing or doing wrong if you're so convinced? >>52001240
>Like seriously, after a scenario you write down the experience and gold each character got, add a scenario or two to the map (or not, not all scenarios unlock more), and you check off the scenario in the booklet. Takes a whole 60 seconds if that.
>>
File: r28439752084.png (150KB, 597x512px) Image search: [Google]
r28439752084.png
150KB, 597x512px
>>52001919
>>
I finally managed to play 2015 Star Wars Risk last week - took a while to figure out what all the symbols meant, but it IS fun. Also, it turns out my copy has a partially chewed gameboard. That's what I get for buying used games off eBay...
>>51985992
I fucking LOVE me some hidden objectives/roles - it can be for something as elegant as Love Letter, or as insane as A Study In Emerald.
>>
>>52002062
>he thinks repeating his lies is somehow a quality post
Man please stop. There is no reason to keep doing this. Everyone who has played the game knows you're just spouting nonsense and people who don't just see your posts as autistic screeching. Just go somewhere else or talk about a game you actually play if you insist on being around people who clearly don't want you.
>>
>>52002090
>Everyone who has played the game knows you're just spouting nonsense and people who don't just see your posts as autistic screeching.
And yet nobody can bring even a single counterpoint up and just argues from authority. No, I don't buy it.

If I'm so wrong then prove it. It can't be that hard, right? I mean I'm wrong after all. It's low hanging fruit.
>>
>>52002121
There's nothing to prove. You posted a list of shit you do in the game, great. You didn't post half the shit you do between quests which means you have either never played or deliberately left it out. There's no way someone who actually played believes what you wrote is true, so why would I waste more of my time looking up actual facts. Just leave man, who are you helping by staying here? Is this just fun to you? I really don't get your motivation anymore to stay here and fling shit.
>>
>>52002158
>You didn't post half the shit you do between quests which means you have either never played or deliberately left it out.
Like what? You draw a fucking card and resolve it? Is deciding what to buy or what perk to get bookkeeping now? And that takes countless minutes to do?

You still cannot bring to bear even the simplest of arguments. You've got no fucking point. All you can do is argue from authority.
>>
File: r2348905205982.png (81KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
r2348905205982.png
81KB, 400x397px
>>52002121
>>
>>52002196
Now you're just repeating incorrect info ad nauseam. What do you gain from doing this? I would honestly love to understand.
>>
How is this one shitposter not banned yet is beyond me.
Keep /v/ in /v/.
>>
Santorini would be better with wood pieces
>>
>>52002196
>hurr durr i play just believe me XD
>thinks anyone here believes his obvious bullshit
dude i've never played, just looked up a play through and could see you've just been lying out your ass. go to hell
>>
>>52002224
>incorrect info
So correct it. If it's so wrong then it ought to be easy, right?

I mean I can tell you right now exactly what your position is and exactly what's wrong with it. You've defined, in your mind, everything that isn't the act of playing and resolving action cards to be bookkeeping. And you're wrong to do so -- because that's not what bookkeeping means. Bookkeeping is the act of keeping record of the game state. And there's not that much of it to be done. Marking off a scenario. Recording the character's gold and experience. Adding stickers to the board. I mean I suppose technically archiving a card is bookkeeping, wew that's so much work.

But to you, everything is bookkeeping. And you're just plain wrong. And so you won't stop shitposting.
>>
>>52002271
Santorini is perfect enough as it is.
>>
>>52002266
Thanks for contributing, shithead.

Anyway, to keep things board game related, what's the last game you played? Did it meet your expectations?
>>
>>52002291
Santorini

Blew it out of the water
>>
>>52002283
>>52002196
>>52002121
>>52002062
>>52001983
>>52001919
>being this unable to just walk away when no one believes your lies
man someone or something really did a number on you mentally
>>
>>52002314
>thinking it's okay to shitpost because you can't make an actual point
>>
>>52002300
Nice, glad to hear it. Eventually you'll get tired of the repetitive gameplay, and that's when you'll move on the some more complex games. Don't worry though, it's part of maturing as a gamer. Have you played any more complex games in the past or was Santorini your first "designer" game?
>>
>>52002329
>he just can't stop
damn dude, does everyone around you just ignore you? or is there something else that creates this need for attention?
>>
>>52002332
Nah, it's already my favorite game I think. It's pretty complex
Every game has to be designed, anon
>>
>>52002329
holy fuck I'm gonna just post games i like until this thread dies. not gonna let this guy have an audience without a clear end in sight
>>
>>52002291
Puerto Rico - took a while to get into and I somehow managed to come joint second without buying any of the 10-point buildings, but it's pretty damn good. I still think Viticulture's the best worker placement, though.
>>
>>52002349
Ya, lots of people think the last game they played is their favorite. Once you get some more experience you'll understand a lot (and there are quite a lot) of the fundamental flaws of Santorini. I get it though, if you think that game is complex you're obviously very new and probably still have a hard time grasping the movement mechanics of games like life or monopoly. You're supposed to be 18 to post here, and clearly you're a bit young, but maybe the mods won't mind because at least your contributing.
>>
>>52002363
Sounds pretty cool. I still haven't gotten to play Viticulture but I've heard nothing but fantastic things. Any tips for me for when I do get to play?
>>
I really like Santorini. I teach it to young children to show people that anyone can learn and solve the game in a few plays and this encourages adults to learn new and more complex games. That's why Santorini is a great gateway game.
>>
I enjoy Takenoko. It's a simple, chill game without a lot of pressure but I like the mechanics and look of the game. I can get pretty much anyone to play it, it doesn't take long, and it's easy to play while watching a movie or doing something else.
>>
>>52002394
There's no need to be insulting about it and thank you, but I've played plenty, anon. Don't treat life as a game.
It's just that this game just perfectly works, it must've been really hard to design something that is that perfectly balanced, I'm jealous desu.
>>
>>52002423
>solve
Oh boy, here we go again. Is anyone else ready for a good old fashioned dose of '/tg/ doesn't know what words mean'?
>>
I quite like the way Star Realms incorporates interaction into deck building. I think that's the main thing most builders are missing and SR does it better than most, at least so far.

An interesting deck building game is Tales of the Underdark. You draft cards that let you move dudes around on a board. It's not the greatest game out there, but it's a fun experience if you get the chance to try it.
>>
A game I did not enjoy was Secret Hitler. This is mainly because I prefer social deduction games that have more concrete mechanics than "just argue about it and figure it out" like Shadow Hunters or Coup.
>>
File: r3249527309482.png (3MB, 1921x1719px) Image search: [Google]
r3249527309482.png
3MB, 1921x1719px
>>52002447
>>52002457
>>52002423
>>52002394
>>52002349
>>52002332
>>52002300
>>
I really enjoyed Nevermore. It's a simple card drafting game that is all about collecting more of a card type that the other players. It creates the feeling of interaction but really you're just managing your hand each round. Once a player is eliminated they stay in the game as a raven and can screw other players over or, if they're lucky, win against all odds. The Edgar Allen Poe art is cool too.
>>
Twilight Imperium is the kind of game you must be in the right group to enjoy. It is not for everyone, but people who like 4x games and have a ton of time to play one will find a lot of enjoyment in the game. Most people recommend playing with at least the first expansion.
>>
>>52002457
Just let bait be bait. We're as much to blame for ruining the threads as the people who cast their lines like this.
>>52002463
I feel like a lot of Deck Builders have had success building that into their game since Dominion's almost pure solitaire start on the genre. My favorite is Baseball Highlights and most cards are dual purpose for offense and defense and creates a nice back and forth where you can really consider what your opponent is building and buy players to counter him.
>>
7 Wonders was a fun game, but I don't think I'd like to own it. The game was fine and everything, but I don't think it does anything groundbreaking and I don't think there's a reason to add it to my collection.
>>
>>52002558
I haven't been able to play that yet, but I've seen it played and it looks really interesting. Is it hard to get into if you don't like baseball? I enjoy the sport but most of the people I would play with do not.
>>
King of Tokyo is one of those games that is fun if you pull it out once in a while. It's not an everyday game and it's not a game I pull out when I'm with hardcore gamers but it's always a hit at family parties and more fun that a lot of fillers, although it may take too long to adequately fill that role.
>>
Small World is a great intro to area control. Incredibly easy to understand and a theme that does a good job of engaging everyone by being familiar but also light hearted. If you're going to buy it I recommend going straight for Underground as it is stand alone and adds some mechanics that make it a more satisfying game.
>>
Evolution: Climate is the only version I have played, but I completely understand why it is the preferred edition. The climate mechanic is incredibly thematic and adds lots of tactical nuances to the game. If you can enjoy the idea of evolving species you should absolutely check this game out.
>>
Ave Roma is a ks game that was recently donated to a gaming group in which I participate. It's a worker placement game that also incorporates drafting (you draft your workers each round) and set collection. It was fun, and is one of those games that I think I will enjoy more the second time around.
>>
>>52002576
It's fun for people who don't like baseball as a well designed game, but I've had the most success with the 2 baseball fans. It really does bump the game up at least a point. The baseball fans prefer baseball highlights but I think most would rather play Star Realms. They're not really wrong for it, both are pretty damn different games, but theme appeal is a strange thing to try and quantify.
>>
Smash Up! is the kind of game I would only play with people who are not gamers. It's silly, it's designed fine, but there is very little depth and it gets old pretty quick imo.
>>
>>52002671
I kind of assumed that was the case. I definitely plan on giving it a try though, looks different enough from what I'm used to.
>>
>>52002635
>tfw played evolution: climate last game night
>one other person had played the original game before, the other three had not
>turn one we push the climate warmer, walking right into the wildfire which kills off the entire host of species and doesn't put food in the watering hole
>turn two we push the climate warmer again, triggering a drought which prevents putting food in the watering hole again -- everyone starves except the one new species that went carnivore
>we end the game by pushing all the way to scorching on round 6 or 7, triggering yet another mass die-off as players who fell behind just wanted to watch the world burn
Fun times. I think we ended the game with two living species.
>>
I like cosmic encounter
>>
Battlestar Galactica is my favorite hidden role/traitor game. I think the design is great and I enjoyed the show which obviously is a plus, but not necessary. The mix of combat and other forms of problem solving is interesting because fighting is generally luck based whereas most other things allow you to mitigate luck when facing them if not ignore the luck factor altogether.

On the other hand, I did not enjoy Dead of Winter. Way too many dice for me and some of the rolls are absolutely brutal. That and the fact that it's a zombie game (which I don't really enjoy) make BSG my go to.
>>
>>52002707
that actually sounds really fun! glad you had a good time.

>>52002711
Cosmic encounter is a fun party game, but it's also the kind of game that just gives you some pieces and player boards and cards and says "negotiate"

I'd make my own version before buying one.
>>
If you're looking for an intro to card drafting or just a fun game the whole family can enjoy, look no farther than Sushi Go! It's simple, it's cute.

Sushi Go! Party adds some more rules to the game that make it more fun and is generally the recommended version, but if you want something as basic as possible or for younger kids then then Sushi Go! original might be the better version for you.
>>
The DnD Adventure Board Games are games for people who like tile laying dungeon crawlers that provide a challenge. There is not as much leveling up as the DnD name would imply but the modules are challenging and the models are cool and thematic, if not ks trend quality. You also get a decent amount of them.
>>
Jarl is a Vikings TV show retheme of The Duke. If you know The Duke you know Jarl. It's probably not worth having both to justify buying the second, but there are subtle differences. If you have neither but want one and enjoy Vikings it might be worth going for Jarl as you will recognize all the references.
>>
>>52002411
Make sure you can get a good variety of grapes in your fields, and harvest them early. Don't be afraid to go early - you might miss out on cool stuff to begin with, but a decent Visitor's card could swing things your way regardless. Invest in more workers as soon as you can, but make sure you have the necessary buildings for your vineyard.
>>
>>52002843
I will definitely remember that about different grapes, I was under the impression from a few videos I saw about the game that specializing might be a good play but apparently I got the wrong idea
>>
Onitama is a game anyone can learn to play very quickly but has lots of tactical decisions to make and lots of deployability thanks to cards that dictate your options. Basically its a smaller version of chess but the pieces move based on card draw rather than consistent rulesets. There's a bit more to the game but if that sounds fun to you, check it out!
>>
File: 404 Law Not Found.jpg (601KB, 1000x655px) Image search: [Google]
404 Law Not Found.jpg
601KB, 1000x655px
>>52002082
Hey Minifig!

Next weekend I'm teaching my other gaming group 404 Law Not Found. :)
>>
>>52002904
You just need to have a good mix of white and red grapes, so you can fulfill any orders you draw. I'm not saying specialising isn't a viable strategy, but I find it's good to have enough of everything so you can make fancy shit like sparkling and rose wine.
>>
Race for the Galaxy is a game in which you make an entire galactic empire using nothing but a deck of cards! Lots of deep strategic options and an interesting type of player interaction built in makes this game a favorite among my group. That combined with it being very easy to teach despite all of the depth makes it a great game to have around.
>>
Hey so I just got sellswords it looks alright is it any good?

Also forever ago I asked about compounded and having played a few games its pretty fun. Nice strategy to claiming or completing elements for points or upgrades though the random element draw can be rough and lab fires add alot of fun
>>
Betrayal at House on the Hill is a game that can't really be called a game as the mechanics are not designed around balance or competition. You and your party explore a haunted house until one or more of you become possessed or turned into a vampire or something and then it's generally a race or fight to the death. It's a game that is meant to be nothing but an experience, and if you play it just to be that then you will have a good time. If you really want a balanced game designed for great competition this is probably not for you.
>>
Isle of Sky is a game that combines tile laying to create a kingdom with bidding mechanics. It's a step up from carcassonne and adds in interaction the form of buying tiles you bid on directly from other players.
>>
>>52002718

Battlestar Galactica is great but I don't like the fact that it takes 3 hours minimum.

Dead of Winter suffers from two serious problems: when there's no traitor, the game's mechanics aren't interesting and the scenarios aren't challenge, and when there is a traitor, there's no incentive for the traitor to do anything that might out them until they're ready to pull off their grand finale move, so either the traitor blends perfectly and tanks the colony in one turn (or does the last turn of one round - first turn of the next trick) or he acts like a dipshit and gets exiled. The first problem is easy enough to fix by just using the Betrayer variant, and it's better for the paranoia for there to be a small off-chance of no traitor. The second problem is bigger.

Part of the issue is that exile is too strong and there's not enough punishment for a mistaken exile. If the colony exiles the wrong guy the first time, they just lose 1 morale, which they can easily bounce back from, and they get their crisis costs and food upkeep among many other expenses reduced, making exile a relatively favorable trade just in general. So the colony can easily afford to just knee-jerk exile whoever gets proposed first, making it too hard for the betrayer to act outside of the "grand finale" strategy.

Despite these limits on the traitor's ability to act, it's a simple matter pulling off the "grand finale", so even if exiling taxed the colony more, the traitor STILL has no incentive to take actions that might out him to gradually wear down the colony. The best tool in the traitor's arsenal has is just being able to persuade the other players that everyone can afford to let the crisis go off without throwing cards in. That's not even very hard.
>>
File: co-related games2a.png (2MB, 800x1876px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2a.png
2MB, 800x1876px
Hey, I finally updated that stupid rec list I used to post all the time. I'll probably post one for all the various /co/ miniatures games there have been over the years, but that'll be tomorrow at the very earliest.
>>
>>52003990

Contd.

Based on this, I've been looking at getting either Dark Moon or New Angeles.

Dark Moon seems to just be BSG but shorter and dice-based instead of card-based. New Angeles, while much longer -- around as long as BSG -- seems to have a much stronger negotiation focus that I really like and isn't nearly as fiddly.
>>
>>52004273
Love the update, hate the inclusion of Almost Got 'Im. A lesser werewolf themed on the best B:TAS episode ever is still a lesser werewolf.
>>
Guys if you were to design your own space 4X game, which parts of which games would you copy or build upon for your own design? TI3, Eclipse, Exodus, Space Empires: 4X, etc.. Like which game has the best combat system in your eyes? Which one has the best resource management? Which one has the best trade and politics options? Which one has the best research system? Stuff like that...
>>
>>52004617
>let smarter people than me decide what to steal/copy
>have Herbert family murdered
>apply newly open Dune theme to game
I don't even really care which system you use to get me this, but I'm not going down the 4x hole til I can play as the Ixians or Tleilaxu
>>
>>52004741
Think for me you cuck!
>>
>>52004280
Ya I've heard that about dark moon but i can't get into the idea of playing with dice instead of cards. i think theres enough randomness (fate deck) in BSG to not need more dice
>>
Most people seem to love Eclipse.

The Dice Tower guys (specifically the "main" trio of Zee, Tom, and Sam) think it's mediocre and much prefer Exodus: Proxima Centauri.

What are the pros and cons of each, and why do you think the three of them like Exodus better?
>>
>>52005355
Why do you care what the Dice Tower guys think?
>>
>>52005397
I don't care in any strong sense (i.e., "I only like what they like" or something). But they mentioned it in the context of Eclipse, which made me think the games must be aiming at similar things.

As such, I don't really want to get both. So I want to know the pros/cons of each, and why a given person might like Exodus better even though it's less popular overall.

I only mentioned them because they're the reason I realized the games are especially comparable in the first place (I realize they're both space opera but there are numerous space opera games).
>>
>>52005431
Eclipse is a decent 'intro' Space 4x game. Where it's really strong is it's ease to teaching / learning to play and the fun of designing custom ships for your fleet. In the beginning it plays a lot like a Euro with each player rushing to build a resource engine. Then towards the later turns it often gets very competitive / war game like as everyone scrambles for victory points. Where it falls down is the random tech draws which can really harm a player who is otherwise making all the right choices. It also has virtually zero political elements - one is usually better off making verbal agreements with other players rather than bothering with the all but useless alliance mechanics.

Exodus isn't quite as fun on the ship design side of things but makes up for it generally with a more well rounded set of mechanics, and the Edge of Extinction expansion does a fine job of fleshing out the unique abilities of each of the factions.
>>
>>52005732
How much harder is Exodus to learn/teach?
>>
>>52005770
It's not much more complicated, but eclipse's player boards are just fantastically intuitive, which helps things go down smoother. All such things being equal though, I'm with Jade and like Exodus better, but still not as well as TI3 proper.
>>
>>51993555
>The extra cost Kingdom Death comes with is entirely based on the material their miniatures are made out of.

Actually it's the fact that the game is 17 pounds, and only about 2 pounds of that is the minis.

And the update is expected to make it 20 pounds.

It's a huge game, and when you compare the nonmodel content to that of other games, it falls in line. The models are the least expensive component to produce.
>>
>>52005885
Has NSKS said anything about a late backer option? I haven't had spare money while the KS was up.
>>
>>52006514
I haven't heard, couldn't talk myself I to this latest one.
>>
>>52001809
>Hey guys, relax and just talk about the latest game you've played.

Splendor: https://spendee.mattle.online

Their bot is significantly better than the one in the iPad version, playing against a worthwhile opponent really makes the game shine.
>>
>>52002271
Santorini would be better as a game priced at $5 at Walmart.
>>
>>52002738
Bohnanza is a negotiation game that isn't just "let's you and him fight" and where you have to actually apply bargaining skills and make difficult decisions forced by the game mechanics.

I recommend it over the lighter party games.

Also there's a great meta-game to Bohnanza -- applied autism and card counting is a valid strategy, you can ignore the negotiation part if you're really good at counting and memorization, so it sometimes turns into an introvert vs extrovert contest.
>>
>>52007595
Another day, another guy whose family was murdered by Santorini, such a shame.
>>
>>52008124
Play Yinsh or Renju instead. Santorini is just poor game design.
>>
What is the point of making games like chess if none of them are as good as chess? What is even the point of Onitama and Santorini when you have chess?
>>
>>52008275
some people don't want to have to learn a bunch of strategies and counters. most mass market products target casual consumers as opposed to hardcore fans of niche experiences
>>
>>52008275
Because chess is, quite frankly, boring.
>>
>>52008319
If you find chess boring, you'll find Santorini and Onitama and all these chess-likes boring. I'm not asking why people don't always play chess, I'm asking why make a game that's just inferior chess.

>>52008275
So it's because they're so simple that you can objectively solve them entirely that people like this shit?
>>
>>52008329
>you'll find Santorini and Onitama and all these chess-likes boring

Except I don't.
>>
>>52008335
Then what do you find boring about chess?
>>
>>52008340
The general lack of imagination with the game.
>>
>>52008380
What does that even mean?
>>
>>52008424
There's no imagination as to what the pieces are, there's no additional elements to the game, your only option throughout the game is move a piece (in a limiting fashion).
>>
>>52008275
I don't know about Santorini but Onitama is faster and requires more short-term strategy.
Also, the fact that each piece is dangerous because they all can move according to the cards instead of having a certain piece being able to move only according to its designed function.
That, coupled with the fact that there are 2 ways to win (elimination or domination) makes it for a game that has a faster pace and will not take forever to end because checkmating can be quite a pain to perform lategame.
>>
>>52008275
Chess has a couple problems:
a) It's beatable with brute-force memorization.
b) The game can last an indeterminate amount of time and/or end in a draw.
>>
>>52008275
I like the randomness that The Duke introduces.
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.