[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 51

File: 300 general.jpg (247KB, 630x581px) Image search: [Google]
300 general.jpg
247KB, 630x581px
Previous thread:
>>51932166

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Endless hordes of crap edition; let's keep the talk focused on games and not shitting on each other. Pick the favorite game in your collection and give a serious writeup why it's awesome. Pick the one turkey in your collection that started good but is showing it's age/failings now, tell us how it'd be better. Let's see some critical discussion, and not just flaming poo
>>
>>51943766
Most differences are aesthetic - like, for example, Bases and Outposts are now Champions who stay out on the field til they're killed, some having Taunt - this is completely identical to how they work in Star Realms, but in this game they make way more sense, because having a dude in front of you to protect your face is a much better established mechanic in card games.

Balancewise it seems like they rebalanced for more Champions (bases) in the deck and more ways to kill them, since it makes sense that a game trying to fuse Star Realms and Epic/Magic would need more of these guys than a direct space combat game would.

Champions also have "tapping" abilities like in Magic, though the abilities are just slightly better versions of what you'd usually expect from a Base, and tapping them instead of just taking their abilities as granted charges nothing. The a act of tapping them sideways does literally nothing but remind you they've been used this turn.

And it plays 2-4 out of the box instead of needing 2 sets to break the 2p limit.

Otherwise it's mostly identical.

I think it wins for being the most accessible. The 2-4 thing really clinches that I always bring it out of the house instead of Star Realms.

Reposted since I accidentally feel off the end of the last thread.
>>
>>51949390
Do you have any of the class or whatever they are expansions? Heard they take it from good to amazing
>>
>>51949313
Am I the only one who has a hard time figuring out what their favorite game is? I have this rough, approximate grouping of 5 to 10 games which I really enjoy playing and on any given day if pressed I could name any one of them as my favorite.
>>
>>51949448
Definitely, I think it might just be due to no single game in my collection getting too many plays, so they all seem fresher. Whenever I watch top 10/50/100 lists, it's either something that you play all the damn time, or something that holds special nostalgia/emotional value more than it's just the best game you own in the #1 slot.

That said, what's your top 5?
>>
Repost from last thread.
Looking for a party game, right now thinking about getting both SpyFall and Cash&Guns.

Any other cool games, something that isn't to complex and still has a unique twist to it?
>>
>>51949555
What's your group size?
>>
>>51949614
3~8, usually 4~6.
I thought of Dixit, but I don't see them clicking with the whole mechanic.
>>
>>51949484
Just going by alphabetical order my top 7 would be:
>Argent: The Consortium
>BattleCON
>Battlestar Galactica
>Kemet
>Mage Knight
>Millennium Blades
>Scythe

I wouldn't even begin to know how to cut it down from there. And if you asked me tomorrow I'd probably end up with a different list.

One interesting observation is that I actually own and tend to play more euros than ameritrash games, but for whatever reason my emotional responses to them are much more constrained, with Scythe and Argent being notable exceptions. My typical response to a euro is 'mm, this is good, I should play this more often' while my response to ameritrash games ranges from 'fucking garbage' to 'holy shit'. I'm not sure why that is, but it's interesting.
>>
>>51949634
Yeah it's almost too abstract for some groups I've played with. You might look at not really party games but still light fare with that group size. Incan Gold/Diaamt (or Celestiat) and For Sale are both really easy to explain. Everyone understands push your luck, and a bid or fold auction is simple enough. Maybe look at the dexterity field? A lot of those scale really easily
>>
>>51949448
Since I don't have a stable group of people to play with, my favorite game tends to be whichever I actually get to play.
>>
>>51949555

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

One player is a forensic investigator who knows the means and murder weapon, but has to communicate without talking. The other players must confer with each other based on each of their clues and the forensic investigator's clues as to which player is the murderer, meanwhile the murderer must throw everyone off their trail. Gets especially fun at higher player counts when you add accomolices and witnesses to the mix.
>>
>>51949691
I have Jungle Speed and its nice, almost always hits the table for a round.

Thing is I am the only one in my group who buys games, so while I want stuff that hit the table I also want to keep it close to my taste, and I get very bored very fast from repetitive games, or playing the same short game twice.

My friends can sit around and play Resistance for 4 hours, I get tired after 2.

So I am looking for stuff that you can play once or twice and swap out, and also some refreshing stuff, because after playing 3 rounds of Resistance and screaming at each other, I can't be arsed to play Secret Hitler which is more of the same, thats where Codenames came in, its fun, fast and really easy going.

So I am looking for something to fill that spot, granted SpyFall and C&G are kind of more of the same, but they look nice enough to fit in.
>>
>>51949448
I might be raped for this opinion but i will always love vanilla Kemet. Deep when you consider the power tiles but so easy to teach normies in my experience and I personally have never played with anyone who didn't like it including people who have only played up to monopoly. I will own this game until I die and I will never dislike playing it and I will never have someone say they don't want to play it. Maybe I'm just lucky but this has been used as a gateway game by me many, many times over and I could not be happier about that fact.
>>
>>51949764
If you want something that's easy to swap out fast then SpyFall is prolly exactly what you're looking for. We never play to a set point limit or game, just a couple rounds til bored. I will repeat from the last thread though Say Anything also works for this kinda thing, don't worry about the score track as much as the cards and white boards. Way better than CAH or Apples to Apples and lets your friends be silly.
>>
>>51949313
>Pick the one turkey in your collection that started good but is showing it's age/failings now, tell us how it'd be better.
I hope you guys enjoy steak, cause I'm about to carve up some sacred cow.

Exodus: Proxima Centauri.

I wanted to like this game. I really did. I bought into the hype hook line and sinker, the whole TI3-lite argument, etc. etc., but every time we've played it it has always ended with a resounding 'meh'. We don't hate it, I don't think it's a bad game, I can't even put my finger on why it's not hitting us, but every time we play it it feels like we're just going through the motions and then the game ends and we tally points. No real response or emotion or adulation, just bland milquetoast gaming.

I really can't say why. I've got the expansion, which helps a little bit, and now I'm staring at the KS for a new, final expansion and seriously asking myself, do I really want to throw good money after bad? And... I'm not sure I do.
>>
>>51949870
>throw good money after bad
don't do it anon. disregarding my opinions on the game, if your group didn't like it getting more of it won't help. there's no shame in not liking something
>>
>>51949870
>I hope you guys enjoy steak, cause I'm about to carve up some sacred cow.
Love it, and while I haven't played Exodus, I know this feel. Sometimes a game just doesn't strike you right, no matter how much it ticks all the right boxes on paper.

>>51949907
This. If you're not over the moon, don't buy an expansion thinking it'll fix everything. I got to playtest Coup before it came out, felt like a waste of time and money so I skipped on it. Now every so often I'll have people tell me to play it with the expansion. Why should I pay double to play a game I didn't like all that much for no cost? If you've got a turkey in your collection it serves only two purposes: either remind you to do more research, or math-trade fodder.
>>
>>51949870
I'm with you. I still like it better than eclipse, but it doesn't approach the satisfaction of a good TI3 game.
>>
>>51950032
>sometimes a game just doesn't strike you right, no matter how much it ticks all the right boxes
well said
>>
>>51950241
Conversely sometimes you find a game that has nothing you'd think interests you and it's one of the better experiences you have. I wanted nothing to do with pen and paper RPGs but my brother in law sucked me into a game with him 3 years back, it takes up a lot of our gaming time now. TM is too dry, too long, and too weighty for my usual fare, but the one game I got to play was fucking amazing. Games are visceral sometimes as much as logical
>>
>>51949313
I know this is very unpopular basically everywhere but I will say I love playing munchkin. Yes, I know, it's a kingmaker game and blah blah blah but I have fun every time I play it. It's silly, it's entertaining, and me and my friends laugh at the ridiculous nonsense it creates. It is, to me, like playing Betrayal at House no the Hill. You don't play it to be competitive, you play it for the theme and to have fun. Maybe my game group is just in the right mindset but we always have a good time playing and we are able to just accept the fact that skill doesn't matter. We just want to have fun and munchkin provides that for us.

For the record it's the same group that plays hardcore euros and games like TI3 so we sometimes just want silly bullshit to entertain us while we drink and shit-talk each other.
>>
>>51950315

Whilst I think Munchkin is an awful game, I respect your right to enjoy it anon. You do you.
>>
>>51950315
See I get everything you say, and with the right group it's riotous. My only complaint about Munchkin has been I wish it took half as long. Give me the cut down version like Bang the Dice game for original recipe Bang! and I'm all over Munchkin. Think it might be why we keep Boss Monster around.
>>
>>51950330
Thanks. And ya, it's not a "good" game by any stretch but I would argue most party games are not good, they just get people having a good time. For us, munchkin does that and I will play it every once in a while. It's a good "we've been drinking all game night, none of you are driving home, let's fuck each other over" game. It always makes us laugh so why feel shame over playing it at 1am when we can barely speak?
>>
>>51950382
That's the thing though. It is not meant to be a short game. It's meant to be a game that forces you all to fuck around with each other. If you can embrace that it's fun. If you want a legit tactical game obviously you play something else. If you want something that makes you fuck around why not play it? It's like any other drinking game: it's just there for something to do so you're not just drinking in the same room. That's how my group uses it anyway.
>>
>>51950433
I like my drinking games to have easier breakpoints, but that's me. A 90 minute Munchkin (which is entirely possible, it's what's happened the last two times I played) starts to drag for me, a 30-45 min max one would be better. That way no fatigue and we can flit around between various fun drinky games.
>>
>>51950382
I'm the guy who first responded, and I wanna say I like boss monster for the same reason. Fun theme for gamers and it's a bullshit fest "lol fuck you and your shit." If you play heavy games till you get drunk then pull out bullshit everyone is having fun constantly in my group's opinion. That's why we keep them around.
>>
>>51949401
I don't have any. I have looked at detailed rundowns of them, though, and they're basically a rehauled version of the Gambits/Cosmic Gambits expansions for Star Realms, added to a new mechanic of having a slightly different opening hand.

The opening hand part is basically just that you'll get a couple Champions in with your starting deck from the beginning, as well as the money cards and slightly customized weapons, etc. This'll have you protected from turn 1 or 2, so the game will probably run longer.

Then there's the Gambits part, which is the cool bit - just like in Gambits, you'll start with 2 sideways cards at the beginning of the game. In Star Realms it was the luck of the draw which ones you got, in Hero Realms you have to choose the right class to get certain ones. Some of their abilities last all game as a persistent effect, some are trashable, allowing you to avoid a deadly situation with their ability precisely once during the game.

Personally, just like with Gambits, I feel like this would hugely muddle a very simple game for new players, and thus I would not recommend playing with them against anyone who hasn't played the game 3 or 4 times.

But, once they have, it'll be awesome. I loved Gambits, and this is that only moreso. My only possible hesitance comes from the fact that starting with Champions does, as I said, probably make the game last significantly longer, and if they snowball enough then it might become the sort of session where nobody is taking any damage til someone finally gets powerful enough to smash through someone else's massive wall of 10 Champions. But that's, like, absolute worst case scenario. It's probably fine.
>>
>>51950475
I respect that, but we like the theme and we love being wasted and trying to fight over bullshit and munchkin makes it fun (in our opinion). I guess we just have found a niche where we can play munchkin for a few hours as we pass out. Lucky us, but I know better than to tell people to buy it or tell them it's a good game.
>>
>>51950490
I also keep it around because I paid full retail to get it from Rothfuss' charity and it came with promo cards from his books. My geek goes into overdrive on whatever hobby I'm focused on atm so that was one I did while I was reading too much instead of gaming.

>>51950512
Thanks good to know if I pick it up. Never bought Star Realms but played the shit outta it on my phone til it burned me out. Time to look back into the system

>>51950526
Totally get that, and hey as long as you're having fun, that beats the shit outta whatever anyone on a Singaporian underwater basket weaving message board is gonna say.
>>
>>51949448
Yeah, definitely. This mainly comes from genres serving such different purposes. Like, get me in a room of 10 people all ready to game and none of them particularly experienced, ask me what my favourite game is, and I'll immediately rave about how Secret Hitler is a masterpiece. But if I'm thinking about the question from a "me and my SO" standpoint, I'll suddenly probably consider Patchwork to be a beautiful work of game design. If I'm thinking about playing with 2-3 other gamers, I'll pretty automatically say Glass Road. If suddenly those 2-3 people aren't gamers, Tokaido. Etc, etc.

I think that if we went based on overall love of the game as something I love, Glass Road would beat everything, but the crowd is so extremely important, and I like crowds of every size. The people are what drive the hobby, after all.
>>
>>51950581
>as long as your having fun
Ya, I feel like there are guilty pleasures in every avenue of art. Munchkin is one for us, just like Cards Against Humanity is one for plenty of people. Most people who are gamers understand they are "bad games" but don't care because they lead to lots of great experiences (especially when booze and drugs are part of the experience)
>>
>>51950663
> booze and drugs
Fucking degenerates.
>>
>>51950663
To add to my own post, TI3 is not fun if everyone is fucked up but is great to play tactically. Munchkin suck if everyone plays to win but is crazy fun (imo) if everyone is fucked up and we just want an activity to do while we be retarded.
>>
File: trumpcard.png (500KB, 600x432px) Image search: [Google]
trumpcard.png
500KB, 600x432px
>>51950678
But those are parts of nature, and denying that humans are natural is degenerate
>>
>>51950733
>But those are parts of nature
So is rape and cannibalism.
>>
>>51950775
Cannibalism is detremimentory to humans, and rape is absolutely part of nature. why deny it? stop visiting sjw sites and start embracing nature, or stop talking about natural tendencies faggot.
>>
>>51950382
>give me the cut down version like Bang the Dice Game for Bang
Rock Paper Wizard.
It's a take-that game of trying to get yourself furthest ahead and pushing everyone else back like in Munchkin, but it's also a Simultaneous Action Selection game. You're all casting spells on each other at the same time, and depending on what everyone else chose and the order they resolve, you could actually end up punching yourself, getting accidentally teleported *forward* another player who was trying to put you all the way in the back, etc.

You all get pushed a bit closer toward the default center space between every barrage of spells, meaning there's no runaway leader, and first to 25 gold wins, meaning that you basically just need to be first in line five times, even tied, or second place a few more times than that. And you can try to gang up on the guy who's winning, but you might all end up killing each other in the process because of the ridiculous ways your spells interact, so there's simultaneously no runaway leader problem and no kill the leader problem.

It's also perfect while drunk, because the name of the game is Rock Paper Wizard - as in, you actually throw a hand gesture on the count of wizard, and that's what spell you do. Laughs abound when someone just has their fist twisted into a mutant ball of fingers and they insist they were trying to cast Charm Person, which looks nothing like that at all.
>>
>>51950838
>Cannibalism is detremimentory to humans
So are booze and drugs.

(Also, 'mimentory'?)
>>
>>51950941
Yep, spelled it wrong.

Anyway, you can argue that they bad all you want but they are natural (animals get high) but this is a /pol/ discussion so go over there and have at it. Here we talk about board games, friend.
>>
File: stop.jpg (14KB, 481x309px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
14KB, 481x309px
>>51950678
>>51950733
>>51950775
>>51950838
>>51950941
>>
>>51950912
I was being more metaphorical than literal but thanks for the write up, I'll look into it.
>>
>>51951063
Thanks for your contribution, faggot.

Anyway, I didn't get a response last thread. Anyone have opinions on the Terminator KS? I have not and will not back it, but I think the past and future boards interacting is a cool idea.
>>
>>51951108
>Anyone have opinions on the Terminator KS
I really wish if they were going to do a Terminator game they'd do a reworked Specter Ops/FoD cat/mouse game. Maybe something like Star Wars Rebellion where instead of building troops you're assembling weapons out of what you can scrounge?
>>
>>51951181
Ya I know someone here said they'd rather see a "Fury of Arnold" game but I think this actually looks like an interesting concept but they are obviously charging a premium for models but their models are shit.
>>
My favourite game is Virgin Queen. It's one of the few games of that length that really justifies its playtime. It's got a lot of subsystems, but each of them is fun, and contributes to the larger picture. Plus, once you've played around with them for a game or two they're really quick to execute: battles are really suprisingly fast. Only real criticism I have is that the first couple of games can turn out to be pretty unbalanced, usually because noone really knows how to deal with the Protestant until they've tried being France/Spain at least once.

I tend to sell my games once I feel like I won't play them anymore, and one of those was Arkham Horror. I really dug it, played the shit out of it, and it was my first heavy boardgame, which really got me into big chunky manuals and oceans of cardboard. Then my collection just kept being filled up with games in the same time-frame, which I would just much rather play. Eventually I began to realize why I stopped playing AH; I'd seen pretty much all of the events, and there were a lot of mechanics (like the whole big bad fight at the end of most games), which I got tired just thinking about. Then one of my friends got Eldritch Horror, and while I would never play that as extensively as I did AH, it just kind of took that spot.
>>
>>51951210
I haven't even looked at it yet, who's the lead designer and publisher on this?
>>
Is this the most underrated game of 2017?

It's perfect as an abstract and thematic game while providing a deeper, underlying strategy than the art would suggest. Replayability is near infinite and it trumps almost every other 2 player board game.
>>
>>51951240
idk and i don't care about that shit cuz thats like caring about who produced a song, it doesn't mean it's good. you can look it all up on ks if that matters to you. i just wanna know what people think about this one specific mechanic and if they think it can/will be done better.

not shit-talking you, just saying idc about names on shit
>>
>>51951299
this game didn't come out in 2017 but i'll bite on your bait. it's a cool game but not super repayable as far hours go. It is repayable as far plays go though and it looks really good so if you want a gateway game it's gold
>>
Any good hidden role games that play 4 players?
>>
>>51951108

It's the second board game Kickstarter from a company who has no prior history of running kickstarters or publishing board games, whose first board game Kickstarter, Evil Dead 2, did not have a rulebook at the time of the campaign going live, did not have the rights secured to use the license until after the Kickstarter had finished, and still lacks critical reviews even now, having not yet shipped to backers due to the project missing what was an *extremely* optimistic deadline (see my previous point about inexperience). This project also lacked any gameplay footage or a rulebook at the time of going live, providing a pretty clear demonstration of where the company's priorities lie.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's going to be fucking dreadful.
>>
>>51951537
ya most of them. be more specific, what kind of theme do you like?
>>
>>51951647
But this does have a rulebook. Also keep in mind I was more asking about the mechanics as I said in the last thread (which you might not have seen, granted) that I don't plan on backing but I I want to hear what you and others think of the dual board design
>>
>>51951657
Don't really mind theme too much. Would like something with actual conflict however. I own Coup which is fun but would like something that feels like you're actually playing a specific character, maybe can get items and stuff but not really sure of any hidden role games that would let you do that
>>
>>51951699
Shadow Hunters does that but it's a little RNG.
>>
File: image.png (327KB, 672x506px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
327KB, 672x506px
I went ahead and got Legendary Marvel as well as the Dark City expansion for 60 bucks. I figure both of the deck building games I own are pvp so it would be nice to get something that was co-op. The only thing that irks me a bit is that they went with Nick Fury's son instead of the real Nick Fury.

did I do good?
>>
>>51951741
Is it good at four players? I've heard things about it but it seems like it'd be kinda jank at a low player count
>>
>>51951537
Pretty much exactly one: Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.

Burke's Gambit also kinda works at that count, but it's kinda random.
>>
How well does Millennium Blades scale?
Looking for more games good at 2-3 players
>>
>>51952370
I don't have MB but if you're looking for something good at 2-3 players that's basically all not party games so MB would probably fit that role. Someone who owns MB can back this up?
>>
>>51949448
Anon, you are in good company. My game collection is Legion, and I'd be damn hard pressed to pick 'one' favorite. It often depends on my mood and who I'm gaming with when it comes to the optimal gaming experience.
>>
>>51952370
>How well does Millennium Blades scale?
Poorly, to be honest. I only play it at 4-5. Tournaments are worth too little and collections / money is worth too much in 3 players, and the 2 player game is just straight meh.
>>
>>51952425
Basically that, anything that's not a party game that plays well with less people
So far all I got is Roll for the Galaxy, Small World, and Flick em Up
>>
>>51952370
It's fine at 2, really good at three. There's a variant for 2 players in the rules but I'd ignore it and just play normally, without friendship cards.
>>
>>51949870
I like Exodus but would never hype it as TI3-lite - just to many differences. Exodus is Space 4x and TI3 is pure 'Grand Strategy' game. As for it not clicking - some games that are otherwise good just don't grab you. I played Dominion and while I enjoy some deck-builders, that one just fell flat for me personally. There isn't any one thing I can objective define as disliking. But it had all the appeal of eating wet cardboard for me while playing.
>>
>>51951299
Go neck yourself. Paying $50 for a Connect 6 game that hasn't even been playtested properly is a special brand of retard.
>>
Has anyone else been looking at/played Gloomhaven? I had the opportunity to play the game a significant amount over the weekend and I gotta say I'm hooked. Combat went smoothly, the dungeons have some really interesting design features, there are plenty of character options in the beginning of the game, and about triple once everything becomes unlocked.

What are some of your guys' experiences? Anyone looking to buy it but got questions before they pull the trigger?
>>
>>51952706
>hasn't even been playtested properly
All these flavors, and you chose to be salty.

There's a lot of things you can say about Santorini but imbalance is not one of them. If you honestly think the game is imbalanced then try actually playing by the rules. If you end up in an unbalanced matchup it's 100% your fault that you lost and your opponent won -- that's the beauty of the pie rule.
>>
>>51952706

What implores someone to be so edgy about board games?
>>
>>51952732
I've been marathonning it since I got it more or less and I can second everything you're saying. Six scenarios in and it's only getting better.

That said, if you're thinking about buying it and have the opportunity to then you should not hesitate. The game is sold out at the distributor level just through preorders. If you want it, and can actually buy it, do it. It's worth it.
>>
>>51952794

Just don't respond to him, he's trying to shit up the thread by getting people arguing about Santorini, again.
>>
>>51952506
I agree. 4 is the perfect number, 5 is good too in a Seasons at 4 is fun kinda way. Nothing about the game fundamentally falls apart but it passes into the realm of too much happening to keep track of very well and a little too long. 3 I wouldn't say is that terrible but it seriously needs to readjust the tournament point values. The spread of points you get is too narrow to make that big impact of scaring you into making a good deck hoping desperately to not get last place. 2 is boring because then you barely get any trading. 2 or 3 works well for coop though. That's a set rotation thing, but it scratches the itch if you want to play Millennium Blades in either a non competitive way or at lower player counts.
>>
>>51952794
All N-in-a-row games suffer from the same problem: first player has a huge advantage and having certain openings that are solved deterministically. (If you ever played tic-tac-toe you know what I mean; the same problems exist for connect-N games on larger boards.)

People played Gomoku for hundreds of years, and it took a _shitload_ (like, decades) of playtesting to make it properly balanced. The result is called Renju. I recommend you play that instead, it's a great game and better than Santorini.

Santorini also has the same problems that plague all other connect-N variations, it's just that nobody bothered to actually playtest what's a blatant cash grab for idiots.

But whatever floats your boat, we all gotta start somewhere and not everybody had the privilege of playing non-retarded games in childhood.
>>
>>51952732
As much as I find their specific brand of autism annoying I'm gonna wait for the Miami Dice spoiler free stuff on this one. The last time I got all excited over a narrative game it was Seafall, and well we all know what a shitfest that turned out to be.
>>
>>51952946
>nobody bothered to actually playtest
>First iteration came out some 30 years ago

Come on, if you're going to be shitposting spastic at least put a little effort in, yeah?
>>
File: gkr.jpg (205KB, 680x697px) Image search: [Google]
gkr.jpg
205KB, 680x697px
Don't fall for the plastic jew. If you pledged and haven't read the rulebook, read it. If you haven't watched gameplay videos, watch some.
This game falls flat all across the board. I pledged but then pulled back after going more into it. Uninspired, bottom of the barrel dice combat based on chance, barely any replayability or variance aside from pilot swapping, all style and no substance. Why pay 100 bucks for not even 20 minis that were tossed on top of a shitty foundation? Sure, the big ones look great, but there are only 4 of them. The small ones look barely meh.
I know the name Weta Workshop is tempting, but it's also Cryptozoic.
>>
>>51953093
The funny thing is my experience is that going first is a disadvantage in the game. He's making the fundamental mistake of thinking you can only win by building your own towers, but the real trick is taking advantage of the builds your opponent makes and cutting them off of their own progress.
>>
>>51953165
> The funny thing is my experience is that going first is a disadvantage in the game.

That's because you're an idiot.

> He's making the fundamental mistake of thinking you can only win by building your own towers, but the real trick is taking advantage of the builds your opponent makes and cutting them off of their own progress.

This 'trick' is a standard strategy in all N-in-a-row games, even in Connect 4.

>>51953093
30 years playing a game with you and your dog is not playtesting. You need tournaments and math to really bring out the glaring problems. Again, look at the effort put into making Renju balanced.
>>
>>51953260
>math

Lawl, good job the designer isn't a mathematician with a doctorate then. You can just stop posting now.
>>
>>51953157
Dude are you serious? I just pledged today and it's my first Kickstarter pledge ever. I was already on edge because I "spent" $99 on something I won't get for almost a year, but after reading that my stomach turned and my chest tightened. Man fuck you for making so unsure now. :/
>>
>>51953260
>This 'trick' is a standard strategy in all N-in-a-row games, even in Connect 4.
I see. You don't even know how the game is played.
>>
>>51953319
You haven't spent shit until the KS has competed. You can cancel your pledge at any moment until the campaign closes.
>>
>>51953356
I know that's why I put it in quotes. Still a big step for me especially since it's a lot of money to me.
>>
File: The Worst.gif (2MB, 485x360px) Image search: [Google]
The Worst.gif
2MB, 485x360px
>>51952951
>Seafall
>First 6 games
>Actually seemed to be enjoying it and having a good time
>Didn't see what all the hate was about
>End of the 6th game, big twist of the pirate island is revealed, makes life hell but think it's going to be in a cool kinda way
>The pirate king event all hinges on me and my ridiculous raid value to make everyone stop being miserable
>I get screwed over by random events
>Explore focused guy goes out and discovers 3 islands for a crazy huge victory right as I start to recover
>2 of those islands introduce 2 more boxes and a headache inducing amount of rules
>Games after that are all highly slanted in explore guy's favor because of the pirate king stopping everyone else from doing their shit
>Finally kill pirate king on game 9 for a pathetic amount of points
>He now has such a lead that none of us could ever hope to catch up
>He holds all the charts to get super upgrades because he's explore focused, including my raid upgrade... which is something exploration helps you get?
>The advancement of the game once again hinges on me raiding an island for everyone
>Have to do it twice, the first time is basically going to hand the merchant the win because it unlocks a super building he can buy
>Second time will actually get me the milestone for breaking the island which isn't even worth as much as discovering an island
>Everyone at this point is just playing to see what's next because our placement on the overall score charts aren't going to change much over these next few games
>>
>>51953319
Basically, if any kickstarter game is leading with "LOOK AT ALL THIS SSSSSHHHHINY PLASTIC SHIT DON'T EVEN FUCKING ENGAGE THAT BRAIN GIB MONI PLOX" it is 100% going to be a 0 rules, dice chucking, delay ridden piece of garbage scam.
>>
>>51952951
If it makes you feel any better, the actual game of Gloomhaven is the best part. I would still call it the best dungeon crawler on the market even if it had no legacy or campaign elements at all. I just consider that whole bit to be a happy bonus.
>>
>>51952868
My brother picked it up so I drove down to his place over the weekend, played it for 16 hours over two sessions as the Cragheart. I'd defs be willing to buy it if I found one but since I have a reliable copy to play less than two hours away I might hold off.
>>
File: tragedy.png (741KB, 535x736px) Image search: [Google]
tragedy.png
741KB, 535x736px
I can't tell if this game is bad and I like it because I have some unconscious love of charts, or if it's really good and everyone I know has shit taste.
Either way, I never get to play it and it makes me sad.
>>
>>51953466
Yeah it definitely ticks more boxes for me than Seafall did (and I knew next to nothing about either when they released because once I hear legacy/narrative I tune out to avoid spoilers) but my gaming budget has been historically tiny compared to most in the hobby. My purchases end up being new to me but a year on the market, which results in lots of time to research and playtest what looks good.
>>
>>51953383
if it's a lot of money to you then don't spend it. the game looks like shit and they're banking on people pledging due to the name of the workshop. don't do it man
>>
>>51952951
While the game does have a campaign mode and it's fun to see your city grow over time, the narrative just seems to be the bow on top of the backage. The meat of the game comes from managing to complete the dungeons. The combination of balancing the constantly changing initiative order, not being able to plan specifics with your team, planning ahead several turns, and managing your hand so you don't become exhausted are all incredibly fun. You could ignore the story and still have fun.
>>
>>51953517
>ticks more boxes
holy fuck how casual are you that base your decision on how hype? seriously there is no reason to buy a game based on how many boxes it ticks, buy the game if you play it and like it. why do people not get this?
>>
>>51952946
>>51953260
Save your breath. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that /tg/ is a filthy casual and no one here gives a shit about math. Just look at this pile of wet laundry: >>51953309
>>
>>51953583
Assuming you're not just trying to derail another thread, I mean it has more mechanics/theme/player count/weight/etc that appeal to me in a game. Note I said I buy games a YEAR after they've been out, hype has 0 impact on my purchases, and I don't bother with kickstarter other than to say "oh I guess I'll look at that in 3 years".

On a separate note, if that anon who was looking to get into X-wing is around happy to talk about a recent Mario Kart game we had.
>>
File: 1365482072245.jpg (75KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1365482072245.jpg
75KB, 500x600px
>>51951647
Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for pic related...
>>
>>51951537
Dark Moon (originally designed as an 'express' version of BattleStar Galactica) does fine with 3 to 7 players.
>>
>>51954328
Really need to playtest this one, any anons got a detailed write up on it?
>>
>>51952425
If you don't mind 'war' themed games - the Quarter Master General stuff is very good. There's also the 2 player game 'Stronghold' mentioned in the previous thread.
>>
>>51949789
I ordered Kemet off Amazon today. Can't wait for it to get here!
>>
>>51950315
At least you have a thought out opinion on it. Rock on
>>
>>51953583
not the anon you're responding to, but you do realise that not all of us are from burgerland and have to rely on getting some board games from overseas because they don't send copies to distributors globally, right?

I value knowing what the rules and general gameplay are like before going with a purchase, because potentially spending over $100 dollarydoos (as shipping to 'straya is absolutely painful) for a board game that will never be distributed in stores here will always be an inherent risk, and the more I can mitigate it the better confidence I can have in knowing that I will enjoy it
>>
>>51951299
realtalk i'd look more fondly on this if it was a pure abstract with minimalist pieces and a budget price rather than that clash of clans tier cartoon art
>>
>>51954972
>pure abstract
>minimalist pieces
>budget price
You generally get to pick 2 of those, look up what Wyrmwood charged for a copy of Tak, and that was a game designed based off a non-description from a novel
>>
File: IMG_1715_export[1].jpg (398KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1715_export[1].jpg
398KB, 1000x750px
>>51949313
>Pick the favorite game in your collection and give a serious writeup why it's awesome.
I'm bad at selling anyone on anything, but got Seasons about a year and a half ago after reading the rules but missing my chance to play it at a convention. It's not revolutionary but what it does it does well. It's a bit like a miniature magic draft but it keeps that draft mechanic going with the dice for resources, a push your luck with the cards unplayed counting against you, enough combos to make seeing everything pretty hard to do, and the right amount of weight to give you some depth without making the game intimidating. The expansions probably help this out a lot, but it's the game we keep going back to when we can't decide on anything and have 3-4 people. That and it helped scratch my MtG itch after ditching it for years now while still being appealing to all my other MtG friends as a unique enough game of its own.
>>
What are some good, really thematic sci-fi games that aren't wargames and take about an hour to an hour and a half to play?

Especially stuff that's more space opera and less cyberpunk.
>>
>>51956341
>Space opera
>Not a wargame (assuming you're including 4x here)
>60-90 minutes
Actually having trouble coming up with a good one.
>>
>>51956341
Eminent Domain? It's a deck builder and not totally centered on military conquest.
>>
>>51957607
>>51957754
What if I bump the time to 2-3 hours?
>>
>>51957828
Battlestar Galactica maybe?
Chaosmos is shorter and pretty unique, but the art is. . . Different.
>>
>>51949555
Codenames
Spyfall
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
The Grizzled gets plenty of laughs around teh table.
>>
File: ctl_buy_right_tree.png (332KB, 2654x3333px) Image search: [Google]
ctl_buy_right_tree.png
332KB, 2654x3333px
So, taking a vacation to the other end of the continent, and met several of my wife's old classmates that we used to game with. I brought Mare Nostrum and The Grizzled. They loved the Grizzled, won a five player game while I was having drinks and catching up with an old roommate (I've NEVER won with 5, wife doesnt believe them, and they all banter I was the weak link). Nostrum was pretty fun as well, had a four player game delve to hell as everyone was raiding each other, no one could establish a solid economy, greece spent the last turn making 2 gold and a resource, while Rome won on leader tracks.

Convinced the guy whose house I was crashing at to purchase Jaipur. Meme game lives up to the hype.

Spyfall was a surprising treat, never had that on my radar. Codenames picture edition opens new paths up, but can be a bitch to come up with the perfect clue.

Imhotep, for a point salad, was a fun "fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" game. Lot of screwing each other over and ruining plans in a short time and small package.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong continues to be fairly solid, though they do not play by the book, which makes for a weird experience.

Sushi Go Party and 7 Wonders are the best with this group. We once finished a game of 7 Wonders in 15 minutes, so drafting is great with cuthroat picks and shitting on each other with the negative point cards in Sushi Go!

Other games seeing the table included Hanabi, 20-something Baker street (I would much rather play Hanabi...), For Sale, Incan Gold, and Evolution. Pretty good couple of days.

Also played Santorini and Ticket to Ride: Nordic countries at a board game cafe with a friend. Santorini was just ok. Did not play with god powers as my friend is a casual gamer. It was ok.

For only a small portion of the trip, was well spent. Shame vancouver has a terrible transit system. Oh well, saw orcas with pups off the port side of the ferry from Victoria, so worth it.
>>
How much should I spend on Arkham Horror LCG for 3 people?
>>
>>51958630
Only two cores and expansions. If you wait long enough, there will be enough expansions that just a single core is fine. That said, don't try to supply everything for your players, getting into an LCG for a single person is expensive enough as it is, you shouldn't shoulder the burden for 3 by yourself.
>>
>>51958630
From what others have said you'll need to get two core sets to play 3. So whatever that costs I guess
>>
Has anyone played Onirim? It seems like a fun game but can I get a lot of mileage out of it or does it get stale after a while?
>>
What are some good games out there that have a superhero theme with them. I've heard about Sentinels of the Multiverse, any opinions on that one?
>>
File: IMG_1747.jpg (505KB, 1200x602px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1747.jpg
505KB, 1200x602px
>>51950581
Did you get one of these, Anon?
>>
File: Quothe_ladykiller_promo_cropped.jpg (37KB, 299x428px) Image search: [Google]
Quothe_ladykiller_promo_cropped.jpg
37KB, 299x428px
>>51959811
Not yet, but it's overpriced and I was waiting on the 2E before buying KoT. Got pic related, if I had to do it over again I'd get Boss Monster from CSI or not at all, but hey I can always look at it as a charitable purchase helping deliver a water buffalo or chickens or goat or something to a 3rd world family.
>>
File: IMG_5836.jpg (804KB, 1244x1988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5836.jpg
804KB, 1244x1988px
What's the worst art you've ever seen in a game?
>>
File: IMG_1748.png (915KB, 825x1154px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1748.png
915KB, 825x1154px
>>51959885
I don't have that. Didn't even know about it. I'll have to track one down.

Pic related is my favorite /bgg/ Kvothe
>>
>>51960032
The Legendary Firefly art is horrendous.

I don't understand why they can't make a good Firefly game (I said good, so Firefly: the board game doesn't count).
>>
i just bought mice and mystics. pretty pumped
>>
>>51960619
You're going to be very disappointed very quickly.
>>
>>51949313
How woudl you improve on your favorite dungeon crawler?
>>
>>51961710
If death angel counts then it would be more abilities per marine team

If not then I'd take the grid based movement out of every other dungeon crawler ever because I hate that shit
>>
>>51958630
Where the fuck have you found it for sale??? Im jealous
>>
>>51961728
But... how would you... Dungeon crawl?
>>
>>51961762
Same way you do in death angel, abstracted into a deck of cards. Grid based stuff is really tacky and outdated and boring imo, it's much more interesting to have the combat be abstracted and the dungeon be left to a progression deck. Helps with storing telling too ala arkham horror lcg
>>
>>51961786
I feel you're making both dungeon crawling and theatre of the mind worse by forcing them into a common ground.
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/odampublishing/the-shared-dream-0/description

Whelp, I just backed this damn kickstarter so I might as well shill for it, it looks like a pretty neat concept, they took their rpg system and stuck it onto a board. You start as a standee in a dreamscape world and invoke your "persona" to become a mini. It felt like a cool theme despite the boring looking map and I needed a co-op game that everyone else didn't already own.
>>
>>51961877
Maybe. I just really feel like grid combat sucks outside of tactics style games and wargames.
>>
>>51961710
A random scenario generator for Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition. It feels like a buncha my expansion tiles are completely wasted when they're only used in 1 scenario, and replaying scenarios doesn't work well.
>>
>>51962079
Did you use/know about this?

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie
>>
>>51962152
Huh, interesting. I hope the modding scene can provide some good shit.
>>
>>51959643
Nope want to but it's OOP and almost impossible to get in the UK.
>>
>>51960032
Dark Moon and Sentinels of the Multiverse are two decent games ruined by their art, I can't play either of them without my eyes bleeding.
>>
>>51959885
>15
Damn shit. How do you face this kind of hero without an activated trap? Isn't this basically 2 wounds straight in your face?
Also, how many promo cards were they? Kinda jealous.
>>
>>51963652
Darkmoon has basically no art, it's typewriter font and stock photo industrial textures all the way down
>>
What's the most realistic or simulation-like spaceship combat game?
>>
>>51953505
A friend of mine has it and we've been wanting to play it for a while, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Will report back when I finally get to play it, because I'm super interested.
>>
Why does this board hate dice?
>>
>>51964155
We don't "hate dice". Some very good games use dice, like Marco Polo, Fief, etc

We hate flavour of the month style over substance miniature driven shit with no rules that gets hyped to high heaven on kickscammer.
>>
Is bang the dice game fun desu
>>
File: 1419947409035.jpg (293KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1419947409035.jpg
293KB, 800x450px
>>51964155
Are you fucking insane?
>>
>>51964260
Hnf!
Are all of these metal?
I'd gladly add them to my collection.
>>
>>51964155
I posted this in the last thread and I'll post again.

An ancient Chinese dude from the 6th century once said, when discussing an even more ancient boardgame:

> The ancient Greater Bo used six sticks, whereas Lesser Bo used two dice. Nowadays there is no-one who knows how to play, but in those days when it was played it used one die and twelve game pieces. It had very little skill, and was not worth playing.

This is some of the oldest discussion of boardgames ever, and he already made fun of dice games. Basically people who aren't total plebs always hated dice.

('Sticks' here are throwing sticks, i.e., d2 dice.)
>>
>>51964358
>"heh, dice are for plebs"
>still uses dice-like randomizing elements in the decision-making
Heh.
>>
Any games on Kickstarter you guys have been following?
It's where I try to find new games, but obviously
>Kickstarter
>>
>>51964753
>find new games
What, did the old ones break?
>>
>>51964767
Sometimes you just want to look for new games.
Plus my group likes to try new things, so I may as well keep an eye out.
>>
>>51963923
I think he's been defeated once, by a dungeon that had a go back a room, and had a destroy a room for + damage option, but yeah he's definitely one of the harder epics to knock out. Dunno how many they made, but I've seen him, and 2 Bast cards at his booth before. Didn't shell out for the Bast ones, $10-15 for a pair of cards on a game that isn't played a lot was too much for my OCD, but I'm cheap. Check the tinker's packs store, if they've still got em for sale it'll be there.
>>
Is Scythe actually good or did I just get memed into purchasing it by the internet. It looks pretty up my alley at any rate.
>>
>>51964243
It's pretty good for a filler, definitely does what Bang! sets out to do in a fraction of the time, which is a plus for me. If you grab it make sure you get the western version not the walking dead version (engraved vs screen printed dice)
>>
File: democracy.png (826KB, 815x923px) Image search: [Google]
democracy.png
826KB, 815x923px
>>51953583
>>
>>51964956
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHS2ZzXiw_Q
>>
>>51965255
Wish people would stop posting his reviews, the discussion might be ok but they're just AWFUL to watch. Also wondering how dumping on everything instantly made him a relevant, but maybe it's just because there's fewer critical reviews.
>>
>>51965296
I posted his review because it's one of the few where he actually likes the game he's talking about. And even if he "dumps on everything" he at least gives reasons and explanations that aren't just "look at all the pretty things", "it's too random waa", "it's too complicated", "it objectifies women", or "buying slaves is very bad"
>>
>>51966212
No don't get me wrong he's generally got good arguments, I just have to use his reviews as audio only because they're so painful to watch; up nose is not a good camera angle. I'm just seeing his stuff posted everywhere, and wondering if it's because he only really posts negative themed reviews or if it's just "here's someone new who has good discussion".
>>
>>51961905
I really like the art on this, but I'm not sure I am sold yet on the gameplay. It looks like they're going to rely on expansions for replayability, and while it looks fun for the few times you'll play it, I need more to justify $65
>>
>>51961905
>you don't want a gutted retail version? Preorder!
>>
>>51967212
I decided to back it because stretched goals and KS exclusive gives it a total of five scenarios which was good enough for me, but I understand your argument.

>>51967514
Yeah I can't debate that, you're not wrong, it certainly feels that way.
>>
>>51964956
Scythe is good; you probably made a good decision, depending on what you want out of the game. Most of the hate Scythe gets is from contrarians, which we see a lot of here (it's popular therefore it's shit!) and the rest comes from people who thought the game would be something it isn't despite there being plenty of information on how the game plays.

For that last part, let me make it crystal clear to you: Scythe is a euro. Straight out. Yes there are mechs, yes there is occasional combat (and more often than idiots around here would suggest), but the game is like 90% euro farming simulator. And it's a great one at that, but that's what it is. Some people evidently backed it thinking it was Rock'em Sock'em Robots: Eastern European Edition and were very disappointed by this result.
>>
>>51967514
>>51967774
And the expansions still require even more money. At least with Delve, which tried to be a Carcassonne killer, the expansions were only $7. If this game promised some sort of app to provide cool new scenarios, I'd be more willing to back it.

Does anyone know how well they handled the RPG Kickstarter they did for this setting?
>>
>literally all new Kickstarters are $80-200 mini-trash with no actual value other than as toys
What the fuck when did this happen and who can I punch for it
>>
>>51968779
punch people who shill for games like Santorini that are worth about ten dollars but sell for 50 on ks because they come with models and unnecessary cosmetic touches
>>
>>51966283
I agree with the points you made, I prefer just listening to them. I listen his stuff because he actually talks about pros and cons about the games; so like you said, I like that he has good discussion but I'm sure there are some who like him because he rips up almost every game he's reviewed so far
>>
>>51968941
Yeah one of my new favorites for discussion is watching the GameNight series from BGG. They're all a bit cringey and I don't often watch them playthrough the game but the discussions afterwards are nice, because there's depth. Seems like a lot of reviewers just give an impressions video more than a deep review.
>>
>>51968884
The difference is that Santorini is good, though. I'm talking about shit like Heavy Hitters, Movie You Liked When You Were 13: The Board Game, etc.
>>
>>51969483
>The difference is that Santorini is good, though.
Not really. There are games in this genre that are much better that cost $0 instead of $50. There's no real reason to get Santorini except for the ridiculous art.
>>
>>51969769
I didn't say it was worth $50, not did I say it was great. I just said it was good.
>>
>>51949313
We allowed to talk about baduk and shogi here?
>>
>>51970086
The point is they overcharge for it because of cosmetics. It worked so well with that game that of course everyone is doing it. Obviously it is only one of many but it is still an example.
>>
>>51970129
They were also openly encouraging people to just make their own sets out of whatever they wanted so who cares
>>
File: r2438925045.jpg (61KB, 640x525px) Image search: [Google]
r2438925045.jpg
61KB, 640x525px
>>51970341
You are completely missing the point. The point is they made a ton of money by reviving a game that took very few components that they made look pretty. This worked so well that it is of course being copied but instead of reviving old games people are just cranking out games that they spent very little time and effort actually developing.

I don't why this is so hard understand. Are you one of those hardcore Santorini shills or is pic just highly related?
>>
File: r34829057238952.png (8KB, 509x619px) Image search: [Google]
r34829057238952.png
8KB, 509x619px
>>51970341
>they told people to make their own
still made out like thieves only because the game was pretty
>you still can't comprehend the relevance
>>
File: r204985720948520.jpg (144KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
r204985720948520.jpg
144KB, 682x1023px
>>51969483
>>
>>51970104
Baduk maybe but are there really people who play fucking shogi? That's a grognard game pretty much, and an abstract one at that
>>
File: r34980723508237502.jpg (26KB, 564x518px) Image search: [Google]
r34980723508237502.jpg
26KB, 564x518px
>>51969483
>there are people alive right now who paid 50 dollars for Santorini
>>
>>51968779
If you want better kick starters try backing some that don't just charge for models. People do what is trendy, try to shift the trend in the other direction
good luck, goy
>>
>>51970430
The only one being autistic here is you jumping up and down and screeching "stop liking what I don't like".
>>
So I got Survive last year for my birthday, love it, totally ruthless and mean game to beat up on family and casual friends with. Been thinking about picking up the expansion, though we don't often play 5-6 but I've heard that's ok. Anyone have experience with the other components (squid and dolphin/dive dice)?
>>
>>51970573
im not telling you not to like it though. why is your reading comprehension so bad, anon? do you not meet the age requirement for this site or are you, as previously implied, slow mentally?

My point was Santorini, like many other games, was made to look good but no effort is put in to game design. This is true in Santorini's case because it was a reboot. They made a fuckload of money based only on the aesthetics of that game. What do you not understand about this?

I think autism might actually be the case here are you are unable to understand what someone is saying to you other than what you want to hear.

Either that or you really are a shill trying this hard to seem not to be shilling.
>>
>>51970645
It's almost as if the price of the box is driven by the content of the box and not the design leading up to it. Imagine that.

Stop being a screeching autist and telling other people how to spend their money. It's juvenile as fuck. Your argument is literally 'don't spend money on what I don't like because it's bad', and you can go fuck yourself with it.
>>
File: r234089752097409.png (305KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
r234089752097409.png
305KB, 500x405px
>>51970673
The game already existed. More people bought it because it looked pretty. I don't really get why you think I'm attacking the game when I'm just stating facts. The only reasonable explanation at this point is literal autism. I'll donate to some funds this week in your memory, goodboy.
>>
>>51970722
You're stating "facts" with absolutely no knowledge of how this industry works.

Put yourself in the shows of the designer. You've got a game. You've designed it. You did a tiny self published run a decade ago that broke even but you've not made any money on your design. A fairly sizable company comes up to you and offers to buy your design so they can publish a mass market version of your game. Are you not allowed to sell the game because it's old? Is there a fucking expiration date on your design where if you sell it to a company autists on a bhutanese wax carving forum will bitch about it?

What you're raging at is literally the modus operandi of the entire fucking industry. Most games are not developed in house. Most games are designed by hobbyist designers and then sold to publishers, who then take the rules and the prototype, add pretty art, and publish it. That you have a problem with this specific game just shows that you have absolutely no idea how the board game business works.
>>
>>51970780
Holy shit dude, you are taking what I said way out of context. Someone asked why people sell games that are poorly designed but cost a ton of money and people keep buying them. I pointed to Santorini, saying they didn't have to do anything for the kickstarter but make pretty stuff and they were able to make a ton of money. Other businesses saw this work and now do the same thing. They do it by quickly and poorly designing mechanics but having it look good. Santorini did it by recycling mechanics but making it look good. Very different situations but for some reason you just cannot stop throwing a fit about something completely unrelated to the conversation.

You really, really need to read what people are saying before you respond because you are talking about something completely different than I am.

But here I am, trying to teach social interaction to someone with literal autism so I guess you get the last laugh after all. Seriously, what is it about Santorini that makes people sperg even when no one is talking shit about the game?
>>
>>51970476
i play both though.
wish they had some respective threads on here.
>>
Anyone have any good games for 8 people? I invited 5 folks over and had plenty of board games for that amount of people, but now it's turning out that 3 of them are bringing their SO's and I don't have any games that play well with 8 people. I'm thinking maybe a resistance/werewolf type game? Maybe Secret Hitler? I could really use some suggestions.
>>
>>51970861
Holy shit you've fucking lost it. If you actually think that other KS's are trying to copy Santorini's business model then I hate to break it to you but they fucking all have, because it's the same model that's been used for decades. It's not new. That's how publishing *works* and always has.

>Seriously, what is it about Santorini that makes people sperg even when no one is talking shit about the game?
Because its' a good game that idiots like you shittalk about without having any knowledge of anything whatsoever.

>>51970896
Resistance / Avalon plays great with 8. You'll be hard pressed to find anything with meat that plays 8, though. It's basically just social games at that number.
>>
>>51969345
I haven't heard of them, I'll check them out some time. Thanks buddy
>>
>>51970104
I've tried playing baduk online because none of my friends would play it but I'm absolute trash at it
>>
File: r42389027520.jpg (42KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
r42389027520.jpg
42KB, 604x604px
>>51970908
>he just keeps repeating what i've been saying
I was making the point that it's a good business model. That's why I brought it up. You have still managed to rant and rave only to now find out that you weren't making any new points. Next time breathe deep and read a little before you sperg.

Also, I apparently need to point out again that I was not shittalking the game. Dude, you really need to read what you're responding to before you just type whatever comes to your fucking mind.

But here I am, trying to teach social interaction to a literal autist again, so you certainly receive the last laugh.
>>
>>51970896

Honestly, once you get into the 8 player category, you're going to want to switch to social oriented games like Avalon or Codenames. More board focused games will crawl at that number count. I played an Eldritch Horror game with 8 people, and it was a lot of fun, but it also took 8 fucking hours. If you guys want to do more crunchy games, considering breaking up into 2 groups of 4 sometimes.
>>
>>51970896
Captain Sonar plays 8. I've never played it so I can't really tell you if it's good or not
>>
>>51970927
I only found em because BGG was down for maint and they direct everyone to watch their show instead til it's back up. They had a couple very good episodes discussing SDJ nominees, both the main children/connoisseur awards.
>>
>>51970896
Say Anything, Cash n Guns, Telestrations, yeah you're looking at party/social deduction, maybe a dexterity game or two in that size group. Or split and play two 4p games.
>>
File: go.jpg (47KB, 256x375px) Image search: [Google]
go.jpg
47KB, 256x375px
>>51970942
they have tons of books on it for a reason.
>>
>>51970958
Yes, because unironically calling the industry standard publishing model abusive and exploitative isn't shittalking something.

Sure. Whatever you say. Just keep hiding the fact that you got blown the fuck out and showed that you have no idea how board games actually get published.
>>
>>51970896
Secret Hitler is perfect. It's a very easy game to teach, and it has a huge amount of replayability. It's my go-to social game.

Others:

Mafia de Cuba, 6-12p, a pretty unique Resistance-style game where everyone gets to pick their roles, and it's up to one person at the whole table, just them, to figure out who the bad guys are, by grilling everyone on which role they took, what else was left in the role box when it came round to them, etc. You'll have to convince this guy you're good, whether you actually are or not - if he guesses you and you are loyal, your whole team just lost, him included.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, 4-12p, the deduction game for people who don't want to have to be that confrontational. It's mostly not actually social deduction, just regular deduction, as you'll have to figure out which evidence cards give away the killer based on a description of the scene of the crime. Comes with lots of great variants.
>>
>>51971143
Are you trying to imply that industry standard models are not abusive and exploitative in most industries? Now you sound retarded.

And I said I wasn't shittalking the game, not that i wasn't shittalking the model. Why are you so angry afraid of reading, anon? Is that you really, truly, actually are autistic?

Seriously, show me one industry that is not abusive and exploitative to the people on the ground level. Better hurry and think of one though, I'm sure your tardwrangler will be coming soon to change you and tell you internet time is over.
>>
Anyone here play a full game of CoNA?
>>
>>51971379
And now you've devolved to anti-capitalist shitposting. Apparently, in your world, selling something that customers want is abusive and exploitative. God fucking forbid these companies act in a manner that earns them profit while also offering a good for sale that their customer base wants.

Industry standards become industry standards because everyone involved finds that manner of business acceptable. Publisher, designer and customer -- any one of them could stop participating in the model and it would collapse. But they don't. So no, it is provably not exploitative or abusive because any individual on any corner of the model could walk away at any time. If you don't like it? Don't fucking buy it. But I'd put money down that half the games in your collection were developed under the same model so you're just a giant fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>51971519
>nothing in this post is true
>>
>>51971581
>when all else fails and you can't make any points, just shitpost
>>
>>51971614
>still just lying
Man you know nothing about capitalism and you've done nothing but embarrass yourself since you started posting.

But there's good news: this website is anonymous! You can just stop posting and no one will ever know you were the one being this unnecessarily retarded. Congrats!

>i know he's not gonna stop
>i don't think he's trolling, i really believe he believes the retarded shit he's posting
>that makes this all fun for me and I can't wait to see what nonsense he spouts next
>being a true autitst he will not be able to ignore my post, and for that reason I have power over him
>>
>>51971407
Are you talking about Campaign for North Africa? I'm not sure anyone anywhere has finished that, hell I have a hard time getting through a game of Dawn Patrol and that's generally only 2-3 hrs.
>>
>>51971648
Yeah, i wonder if anyones even cracked it open.

How indepth is it?
>>
>>51971646
>when all else fails and you can't make any points, just shitpost
You're what's wrong with this general. Congratulations. This was a nice thread before you started vomiting your uninformed opinions everywhere and got defensive when you got called on it.
>>
>>51971672
Full game takes like 1000 hours, I could see people getting into it if they had the table space and could invest a full day every weekend but you're talking 40 days straight of gameplay. Some days I can barely scrape together 2 hrs of downtime.
>>
>>51971324

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback! I actually hadn't realized Secret Hitler was actually in print already until just now so I ordered it just for this.
>>
File: r2908345720.jpg (10KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
r2908345720.jpg
10KB, 251x201px
>>51971712
>he responded to an older post instead of the one I said I knew he'd respond to
It is true though: you can't resist. you willing give me the power to dictate your actions, and i absolutely love abusing the power and, by extension, you. Thanks, amigo. feel free to come "tell me off" again ;)
>>
Been debating picking up Viticulture, any anons with experience willing to share their opinions?
>>
>>51971998
make sure to get the essentials version.
Solid worker placement game with some engine building and hand management aspects. Its a step up from the typical starter WP games (LoW, Stone Age, Champions of Midgard) but not a huge step.
>>
>>51972286
Yeah I know about essentials that it includes some of the expansion, but isn't there also the Tuscany essentials to go with it?
>>
Just got my copy of Millennium Blades, probably a dumb question, but there's no reason to hold onto the punchout sheet once you've got the pieces out of it right?
>>
>>51972517
Only two reasons I've found to hold onto sheets; either you need a stencil to cut out clear con-tac paper for preservation(x-wing dials), or the insert sits too far away from the box lid and pieces shake around going everywhere unless it's flush. Can't imagine either problem with MB
>>
File: IMG_20160903_133858.jpg (82KB, 1034x749px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160903_133858.jpg
82KB, 1034x749px
>36 bucks to sleeve Millennium Blades
>>
>>51964753

Currently backing Monikers: The Shut Up and Sit Down Nonsense Box and Champions of Midgard: The Expansions. Will also be backing Rising Sun this month, and the One Deck Dungeon reprint (meant to be launching this month).
>>
>>51964243
>>51965011

Also the western version has a modular expansion available, Walking Dead version doesn't.
>>
>>51972700
Just buy a new game at that price
>>
>>51966283

I like All The Games You Like are Bad for the reason that he's one of the few reviewers actually critiquing games right now, instead of just teaching the audience how to play (not a review; Rodney Smith gets paid to do a better job than you ever will, stop bloating your review by providing a half baked rules explanation) and stating whether they liked the game or not without going into any depth as to why, as most reviewers seem to do.
>>
>>51972680
Cool, I'm gonna toss it then. Thanks.
>>
>>51972791
Yeah I'm not gonna sleeve it, since the cheapy sleeves I got have problems with sticking together and the good sleeves are too expensive
>>
>>51970896

As others have stated, you're mostly looking at social deduction and party games at 8+. Here's what I can come up with from browsing my collection:

Love Letter Premium (must be this edition to support 8)
Spyfall
Codenames/Pictures
The Resistance/Avalon
Secret Hitler
One Night Ultimate Werewolf/Werewolf Daybreak/Vampire
BANG! The Dice Game
Colt Express (you MUST have the Marshal & Prisoners expansion to support 8; get the other expansion, Horses & Stagecoach, if you wish)
Ca$h 'n' Guns: Second Edition
Captain Sonar
Sushi Go Party! (must be this edition to support 8)

There are some others such as Formula D, Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror that, whilst supporting 8 players, I wouldn't play with 8 due to heavy downtime.
>>
>>51970896
>>51972999

Also 7 Wonders (you must have the Cities expansion to support 8; get the other expansions, Babel and Leaders, if you wish)
>>
>>51972447

There is, and it massively improves the base game (the module with the most impact being the extended board, which I'd argue justifies the cost of the Tuscany Essential Edition alone, such is the degree to which it affects the game). I'd strongly recommend getting in in addition to Viticulture Essential Edition, if you can find it.
>>
>>51972798
Yeah I feel like too many reviewers feel constrained by time. If you want to add a rules overview, cover every rule, or split your video like Rahdo/Rodney do into turns/long play, or just make it a LONG review like GameNight. If you want to do a review of the game, give me more than just your impressions. These days I don't watch Dice Tower as much, but almost always I'll catch the Miami Dice reviews they do because at least then I know there's gonna be in depth discussion.

Of course then you have long reviewers like UndeadViking, and he's just a total snoozefest most of the time.

>>51973077
Yeah thought so, gotta say this is why I've put it off so long. 10 editions of the same game + expansion piss me off and just confuse the market.
>>
>>51972798
As much as I love Tom and the Dice Tower his explanations are so lackluster and confusing half the time
>>
>>51973113

If you're confused as to which editions of/expansions for Viticulture include which modules, the Stonemaier Games website has a handy infographic. Note that the diagram doesn't include:

a) The metal lira coins which replace the cardboard coins included in Viticulture/Viticulture Essential Edition
b) Moor Visitors (pretty much unavailable now due to limited on-demand single printing), a mini-expansion by Uwe Rosenberg containing additional Summer and Winter Visitor cards
>>
>>51973193
>someone made an infographic
I'd be annoyed that this is the state of Stonemaier's bull, but I'm just glad this exists.
>>
>>51973236

Stonemaier made the infographic, but yes.
>>
File: 1486779823473.gif (358KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
1486779823473.gif
358KB, 500x357px
>>51973246
It just keeps getting better
>>
>>51968884
>>51969483
>>51969769
>>51970086
>>51970129
>>51970341
>>51970430
>>51970573
>>51970645
>>51970673
>>51970722
>>51970780
>>51970861
>>51970908
>>51970958
>>51971143
>>51971379
>>51971519
>>51971581
>>51971614
>>51971646
>>51971712
>>51971940

Must you guys do this every time? Get a room. Better yet, have this medal, you're basically stock characters in a comedy at this point.
>>
>>51964001
Battleship
>>
>>51964001
Star Fleet Battles? It's got some heavy autism going on
>>
>>51952732
So far I've found it pretty damn solid, though I haven't had a chance to play it nearly as much as I want.

Def. worth the 60 bucks I spent on it.
>>
Considering picking up Saloon Tycoon or Evolution: Climate after game night tomorrow, anyone have any first hand experience with either of these?
>>
>>51952732
I really want to get this game. I just need to wait for it to get stocked online
>>
>>51975379
>I just need to wait for it to get stocked online
I wish you the best of luck anon. There'll probably be a couple of copies floating around, but my understanding is that preorders ate almost the entire first print run of the game.
>>
>>51975564
Basically, yes. Also, a lot of stores took on way more preoders than ended up being available due to a miscommunication somewhere in the distribution chain.

Only about 8% of non-kickstarter preorders will be filled.
>>
>>51975619
>miscommunication
It wasn't a miscommunication -- this is just how the distribution chain works. Stores put in orders to the distributors who then put in orders to the developer who then fulfills those orders. If the orders surpass supply, then each distributor gets the same percentage of their order. It just happened in this case that the game was over-ordered by a factor of 15.

You see this with big releases all the time, though. Last year Scythe went through similar problems, as did Terraforming Mars and Captain Sonar and other similar big hits.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How badly would removing these cards from Seasons unbalance the game? Would it still be enjoyable?
>>
To the anon who recommended Deep Space D-6 pnp to me a few threads back, thank you. I've played five games so far and I've lost them all, I love it.
>>
>>51976267
I wish I could help you but I don't own seasons. I've been thinking about getting it though, do you enjoy it?
>>
>>51976291
Haven't been able to play it yet, I plan on playing it next week with some friends.
>>
What's the most unbalanced game you've played?
>>
File: IBC-AeonsEnd-Box3D.png (470KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IBC-AeonsEnd-Box3D.png
470KB, 500x500px
I tried a demo copy of Santorini at my FLGS the other day and had a lot of fun, I can see it getting a little old without the god powers but dealing out random ones each round requires you to rethink your approach everytime.

I also impulse bought a copy of pic related, has anyone tried this? It's a deckbuilder with a few neat ideas, such as never requiring you to shuffle your deck so you can plan your future turns. The components are shitty but the gameplay is great.
>>
>>51976492
>but dealing out random ones
FYI, one player is supposed to select the two god powers present in the match and then the other one decides who is playing what god. There are some one-sided matchups which you will run into when dealing randomly which this avoids.

A friend of mine backed Aeon's End and we've played it a couple of times. It's alright. I'm not a fan of deckbuilders and I hate that one less than the others, so I suppose that's a good thing. Never shuffling your deck is a neat gimmick, and the delayed cast spells are fun. Wish the bosses were more interesting, though; mostly they're just flip cards over and then bad things happen. I guess that's alright, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't a better way to do it. Of course, I've only played it against the first boss because there's always been new players, so maybe it's just that one which is boring.
>>
>>51976615
The other bosses are a little more interesting with different gimmicks, one shuffles your deck and deals corrupted cards, one can remove cards from the market, and so on
>>
>>51976416
Betrayal and Talisman. Both unbalanced and fucking terrible. Talisman is barely more than fantasy themed monopoly.
>>
>>51970104
>baduk
BTW, do you know about the Russian/Polish variant of Go, called simply 'Dots'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_(game)

Very popular game in Russia, though mostly played by kids.

You can play online: http://zagram.org/index.en.html
>>
>>51975125
I've only played Evolution: Climate, what did you want to know?
>>
File: image.jpg (638KB, 1600x1595px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
638KB, 1600x1595px
Is this game worth 30 bucks? It's a KS game so I'm a little skeptical, but it has gotten some okay reviews and I'm a TMNT fan.
>>
>>51978145
Any game that relies on theme instead of mechanics is a shit game.
>>
>>51978473
But how are the mechanics? I'm still pretty new to this whole thing so it's hard for me to tell what's good and what's not.
>>
>>51978145
Has it been reviewed by the Undead Viking?
If so, you should immediately disregard the entire project and throw it in the bin.
>>
>>51978608
> I'm still pretty new to this whole thing
What, you never played anything better than Monopoly and Snakes and Ladders as a child? Were you raised by wolves?

Reddit-style """boardgaming""" """hobby""" makes my blood boil like almost nothing else.

An average game from the average redditor's collection gets played LESS THEN ONCE.

Think about that. These people buy games they never play. At best they play it once. (And by 'play' of course they mean 'read the rules a bit and plod halfway through the motions'.)

Even if you're extremely experienced, how the fuck do you get good at a game in less then a month or concerted playing?
>>
>>51964905
http://bossmonster.wikia.com/wiki/Demigod
Heh. No sweat. Hope you got that Pitfall ready.
>>
>>51978950
>"""hobby"""
Are you trying to say boardgames aren't a hobby?
What else would you call them?
>>
>>51978950
As in I own Millennium Blades and Mage Knight and am still learning to play Mage Knight, but considering I've had a better time with it than any vidya in the last 10 years I figured I want to get a few more board games I'm interested in before their price shoots up to the high heavens. This one sort of caught my eye but the mixed reviews and KS funding make me wary.
>>
>>51978950
>REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT
I really don't understand this part.
>>
>>51979017
Reading /r/boardgames triggered me. Holy fuck, some of these people...

>>51978978
> Are you trying to say boardgames aren't a hobby?
I'm trying to say that for many (most?) their ""hobby"" is buying games, not playing them. Shopping isn't a hobby.
>>
>>51978950

>autist sperging out
>>
File: 41_thumb%25255B1%25255D[1].jpg (36KB, 250x346px) Image search: [Google]
41_thumb%25255B1%25255D[1].jpg
36KB, 250x346px
>>51976267
I mean removing cards is just like a game where you never draw them. You never use close to 100% of the cards in a game so it doesn't break the game. I don't think any of those are harmful to the game really. The one card of the base game that bugs me is thieving fairies. It is way too efficient for it's cost, triggering often multiple times a turn and gaining crystals even if there's none left to steal in the first place.
>>
File: aloneTG.jpg (511KB, 1917x1077px) Image search: [Google]
aloneTG.jpg
511KB, 1917x1077px
>>51978950
Holy shit man, the guy just asked how a game was. There's no fuckin reason to assume any of this about him.

The fuck is with the autism levels in these generals as of late?
>>
>>51978950
Whew lad, you need to get the fuck off the internet for now.
>>
>>51979578
>>51979286
>>51979145
Do you feel... ...rustled, hmm?
>>
>>51979596
>WAS JUST PRETENDING XD
>>
File: download (4).jpg (9KB, 209x242px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
9KB, 209x242px
>>51979286
Its just one guy, its really easy to tell by his prose. Just fillet his ip or dont respond to him. Hes not baiting, he is legitimately triggered that non euro games and dice exist. If anything you should pity him
>>
>>51979711
No, there's definitely more than just one.
>>
>>51979711
>legitimately triggered that non euro games...exist

And let's face it, so should you be. You should have sufficient self-worth that the very notion of any game with the equivalent of "heads you win, tails you lose" might even taint your existance with its filth is abhorrent.
>>
>>51977728
What Did you like about it, what didn't you like?
>>
>>51980045
I think it's a step up from Evolution, and the fact you can still basically play the base game by ignoring the climate board makes it an absolutely better purchase.

The game is pretty fun and I really like the theme which comes through surprisingly well in the cards. Although since everyone is just drawing from a deck and choosing what to keep or toss luck of the draw will sometimes screw someone. It's also a little dependent on your group, if everyone just ignores everyone else and keeps the climate in the middle it will feel very solitaire. Conversely if everyone makes monster predators and the climate goes to either extreme it feels very cutthroat.

It apparently was a kickstarter but the few exclusive cards can be easily proxied and honestly aren't that great so I doubt you'd miss them.

If you like what you see after watching a few reviews or play through as you should get it.
>>
>>51979125
Any quality posts you want to share so we can better understand what you hate about them?
>>
>>51980583
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5x01et/anyone_else_not_able_to_play_a_game_more_than/

The comments to this made me want to pull my hair out.
>>
Need some opinions friends. I'm going with my gf to visit her sister and husband this weekend and I was wondering what games you would recommend for four. One condition is the game would probably need to be on the light side and also have as few small pieces as possible since her sister has a ten month old. I was thinking of codenames but are there any other fun games to consider?
>>
>>51980955
>Having enough unplayed games to the point where they are just "rotting" on your shelf

Why? Whats the fucking point?
>>
>>51981084
>there are people who collect money and keep it in folders and sealed in plastic instead of spending it
Same thing, just a different form of autism
>>
>>51981059
> """fun"""
Here we go again.

Try to be a little more specific next time.
>>
File: aaaa.jpg (149KB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.jpg
149KB, 1280x721px
>>51981059
If you have Seven Wonders, maybe you can try that? It's a pretty interesting game about passing cards around and building an empire around said cards. It's a bit hard to get into but if you can learn to play once, you can learn to play every time.
>>
>>51981059
>fun
And this is why people get shit on for being buzzword spewing idiots.
>>
>>51981154
>>51981259
You understand that fun isn't a buzzword right?
>>
>>51981550
If a game is published then someone somewhere thought that it is fun. Asking for advice for a 'fun' game is retarded.

Usually 'fun' is a euphemistic buzzword that means 'something enjoyable even for vegetables and idiots'.
>>
>>51981740
So you know what he meant by fun and yet you still decide to be a cunt about it?
>>
>>51981194
Thanks for the suggestion, I don't have that game but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

>>51981259
>>51981740
>>51981796
>>51981154
Engaging, extreme replayablility, accessible for anyone to play, easy to teach/learn, low down time, player interaction...do these ease your autism?
>>
>>51981934
Sushi go is fun desu but yeah codenames is probably the best " 2 couples game" ever made and scales above that really well for future use
>>
>>51981084

Sometimes it's understandable with a game or two. You buy a game, filled with hope, loving the mechanics, after some glowing reviews... and once it hits the table the first time your group hates it. Welp, that's it, that game is never going to come out of the fucking shelf ever again, it's part of the furniture now.

I have two games like that. Every time I see them on my shelf I get a pang of frustration.
>>
>>51982141
What games anon?
>>
File: BEIGE.jpg (90KB, 950x720px) Image search: [Google]
BEIGE.jpg
90KB, 950x720px
>>51982677
Not him, but mfw every time I see my copy of dominion.
>>
>>51981934
>Engaging, extreme replayablility, accessible for anyone to play, easy to teach/learn, low down time, player interaction...
So, "something enjoyable even for vegetables and idiots" it is, gotcha.

I suggest skipping boardgames and getting smashed on ethanol instead, this game is more """"fun"""" than any boardgame. (Plus you can have a fistfight after, can't get more player interaction than that.)
>>
File: 1488042372029.jpg (39KB, 436x361px) Image search: [Google]
1488042372029.jpg
39KB, 436x361px
>>51982885
Was it autism?
>>
File: 1379891189136.gif (763KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1379891189136.gif
763KB, 500x275px
I can't stop buying expansions guys. Someone send help. I told myself I had restraint, and then I got a coupon this morning and go a really good deal on another one. It's not my fucking fault, they gave me ten dollars off. Why can't I stop

Don't worry I'm playing my game, not just collecting. It's fun as shit.
>>
>>51982933
Nah. You're basically asking for a boardgame to play with people who hate boardgames. In that case, shit, really, why bother? To make a point and/or alienate people? Do some other activity instead.

People who want """"fun"""" don't really want to play boardgames, trust me.

Anyways, to get this back on topic: Mahjong is great, though strictly only four player. A simple and seemingly totally luck-based game but you'll get btfo by someone who knows what he's doing. The scoring rules are addictive, you play over several rounds and can lose or gain stupidly huge amounts of points when executing clever combos.
>>
>>51983058
What's the game?
>>
>>51982933
autism is replying to someone stating an opinion by calling them mentally challenged with the help of a cartoon frog
>>
>>51983099
It was autism. Go to chinkchan for mahjong :) we only play games for people who hate boardgames here XD
>>
>>51983115

Eldritch Horror. Pretty damn fun. It's quite random, but it feels right in a game about fighting gods. It works pretty well with 2 people too, so it's not like I'm dependent on my friends getting their shit together for board game nights.
>>
>>51983199
Holy fuck anon, just stop. In a game that essentially just comes down to a win or lose coin flip, why would you invest what I assume had passed 100 in more coins to flip? What "game" does any of that future landfill even add to your experience? You don't even get the illusion of competing here. As a coop game, you're literally just spending hours to see if random chance says you win or not.
>>
>>51983295
I agree, but you will never convince Lovecraft fanboys to stop buying the board games. You have to remember that buying Cthulhu stuff makes normies feel very hip and very edgy. He sounds like he legitimately believes that it is a good game, which means he is so far down the rabbit hole of eldritch delusion that there is no reason to try to convince him otherwise. It will just turn into another euro game/Santorini shitfest.
>>
File: 1488455435963.png (200KB, 575x526px) Image search: [Google]
1488455435963.png
200KB, 575x526px
>>51983295
Not this shit again, stop bullying people because they don't want to play your shitty dry euros
>>
>>51983363
If you come to a board game general, I expect you to talk about GAMES. What GAME are you getting out of a die telling you to succeed or not?
>>
File: r239845270472.jpg (69KB, 699x485px) Image search: [Google]
r239845270472.jpg
69KB, 699x485px
>>51983363
>comes to a board game thread
>gets irritated someone talks about their opinion on board games
WEW
>>
File: cute_puppy.jpg (69KB, 520x476px) Image search: [Google]
cute_puppy.jpg
69KB, 520x476px
>>51983391
A game with variance but a game nontheless, tell me the name of a real game if you're so sure EH isnt one anon

>>51983422
>Cries when his opinion gets btfo by another opinion or someone dare challenge it
WEW
Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean any of us want to hear it shitter
>>
*plays 18AL once*
God I'm so much better than everyone else
>>
File: r24387520984.png (78KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
r24387520984.png
78KB, 420x420px
>>51983443
>he assumes it was my opinion i was referencing
WEW
i just thought it was hilarious how unintelligent your decision to respond in that way was. but that's just my opinion
>>
>>51983513
I knew it wasn't your opinion. That's why I replied to you second, just thinking it's hilarious you didn't deduce that ;^)
>>
File: r2034985720582.jpg (143KB, 900x948px) Image search: [Google]
r2034985720582.jpg
143KB, 900x948px
>>51983443
>comes to a thread about board games
>claims people come here to not hear opinions about games
wew
w
e
w
>>
File: r234857205.jpg (75KB, 650x627px) Image search: [Google]
r234857205.jpg
75KB, 650x627px
>>51983528
>called it his opinion
>claims he wasn't talking to "him"
lolwut
>>
>>51978145
Bump
>>
File: r3489205720.png (974KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
r3489205720.png
974KB, 900x900px
>>51983577
>bumping this thread in the middle of a shit show
>>
>come into a thread titled board game general (not euro game general)
>get mad at people talking about social games
>get mad about people talking about games with dice
>get mad at people saying they have fun with games
>get mad at people saying they don't enjoy dryer more mechanical games
>proceed to stay in boardgames general and refuse to leave because you got banned from reddit and bgg (just an assumption maybe???)
Why don't you just make a euro games only general or go to a specific website rather than cry because people want to talk about other games in here?
>>
File: cryharder.jpg (62KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
cryharder.jpg
62KB, 500x375px
>>51983628
>come to board game general (not whiney bitch general)
>get mad at people actually discussing games
>bitch and moan and add nothing to the conversation
really? you couldn't contribute anything at all, you just had to whine like a prolapsed whore?

redeem yourself, prove you're not part of the problem and answer me this: what's your favorite game and why?
>>
>>51983599
I just ignore it, especially with how common it's becoming. Plus I want to know about that board game from some critical people.
>>
>>51983628
>Why don't you just go so we can discuss or garbage with no dissenting opinions

We're just trying to help you play better games. It's not like you need to keep spending more money on Eldritch Horror.
>>
>>51983659
My favourite game is Seasons. Now why don't you answer my question instead of just pretending that I'm whining when for the past few weeks all you chucklefucks have been doing is bawling your tears out over other peoples game choices instead of making your own general?
>>
>>51983295

>Holy fuck anon, just stop. In a game that essentially just comes down to looking up the mathematically optimum strategy online, why would you invest what I assume had passed 100 in more mathematical redundancy to sift through until you get the optimum strategy? What "game" does any of that future landfill even add to your experience? You don't even get the illusion of choice here. As a competitive game, you're literally just spending hours to see if you or your opponent followed their turn order right.
>>
>>51983669
my point was why bump, the thread is being bumped already. if anyone wanted to comment they would have.

my opinion is the game is bad if you have the whole thing and you can only buy half the game if you didn't get in on the ks. buy it if you love tmnt enough to overlook the fact that it's just a cash grab. it does nothing better than any other co op dungeon crawler style game. this doesn't mean you won't like it if you don't like the theme. unfortunately either way you're gonna never be able to buy a good chunk of the game. ks exclusives like this are usually a decent indicator that the game is relying on presages because they have no confidence the game will continue to sell after the first wave get their copy and hones reviews/word of mouth will be necessary to drive sales.

tl;dr if you love tmnt you will probably have fun with it. if that's not a good enough reason to buy something for you there are lots of good games to spend your money on
>>
>>51983696
your question isn't worth answering, it rhetorical and reddit-tier snarky. why can't you tell me more about seasons because i've heard it mentioned quite a bit but don't know much about it. what kind of game is it and why is it your favorite in it's genre?
>>
>>51983715
Hrm... that does sound okay for 30. Perhaps I'll look around and see if there's something I don't want more before dropping the cash on it. And I saw the KS stuff. It was ridiculous how much they locked behind that KS wall. Rocksteady, Bebop, and Casey are mainstays, not physical DLC.

Thanks for the rundown. Oh, and I was just "bumping" that post considering it was getting buried in the shitstorm.
>>
>>51983754
i had no idea that game was going for only 30 bucks, might actually be worth it then especially if you don't already have a dungeon crawler or if you're looking for 1vmany.

ya i really think they'd have made more money off of it if they just included those characters and charged a little more because they are so central to the world in which the game takes place

>buried in the shitstorm
fair enough, made me respond
>>
>>51983729
It is worth answering but you're avoiding it because it's a valid solution.

Seasons is what I imagine magic the gathering would be if it was made by Europeans and was an engine builder instead. The game takes place abstracted over a three year period and has your drafting cards (They all are like trading cards but theres only 100 cards in the game) to start with, orgnising them into three piles for each year and then has you taking turns drafting dice from a pool to build up energy and play cards, you build up a gauge which dictates how many cards you can play and slowly build up an engine that keeps giving you points when things happen.

The game is called seasons because it features a big circle clock which dictates which season it is, each season has it's own set of dice in which the types of energy in the game go flactuate in their chances of being able to be gained.

Sorry I'm not very good at explaining but I hope that made sense. What's your favourite game anon?
>>
>>51983796
The question isn't worth answering because you worded it like a dickhead and this is 4chan where no one is going to change. If you want people like that confined to a specific thread you should make it and hope it catches on desu

Interesting, is it fun to play with two people or no because of drafting? I mainly get to play with my gf because we live so far from friends, but we go to a few meet ups every week (we're really lucky there's such an active community near us) but rarely do we get to just play whatever we want at those things.

My favorite game is Twilight Imperium when it can get played. I just love how epic in scale it is and when you can get enough people to dedicate a whole day or whole weekend to it it becomes an awesome experience. I think it's the only 4x game that needs to exist because if you're not putting hours into a game it's not truly 4x, it's just an adventure game imo (this is technically factually incorrect, but in my mind 4x is meant to simulate an entire empire and a 2 hour game cannot do that thoroughly enough).

If we're talking games that get played more often I'm a sucker for Kemet. So many different scenarios can come up in that game because of the temporary vps but it plays quick and has basically no luck (other than DI cards) which I appreciate in games. Obviously TI is an exception to that but playing a luckless game for ten hours would turn off so many people I think there's no way around it.
>>
>>51983729
Actually I think the question is a very decent one. If having one general for these two very different genres ends up creating threads with this much shit posting, wouldn't it be better to have two threads where the shit posting is a lot less likely? There is the concern they might not get enough posts to survive, but conceptually it seems like a decent enough idea.
>>
>>51983926
if you would have read the rest of the thread you would see i did ultimately address his question. thanks for being just another ignorant shitposter.

to keep things board game related, what was the last game you played and how did it go?
>>
>>51983952
Played Tales of the Arabian Nights recently. It went pretty well, everyone had fun. The book reading was a little clunky though, it probably works better with a dedicated GM who just reads all the encounters for everyone, rather than passing it around.
>>
>>51983926
Because fans of dry euros aren't making these posts. None of them are discussing games they like. This place doesn't need a euro purge, it needs a troll purge.
>>
>>51983786
Well, you can find it used for about that price. New it's still at the $60 tag. I know BGG has a copy for 35+17s&h.
>>
>>51983915
I think seasons is a fun game at all player counts but really shines at too because you haven't got too focus on the actions of 3 other players, only one. It also really shines further if you have a constant patner like a gf to play with. The drafting isn't too bad at two players either, it's essentially mtg drafting but each player has a hand of nine cards and you can always draft the dice faces that draw you more cards from the community deck (all the cards in the game pretty much). The dice drafting isn't too variable either as you have dice equal to the number of players plus one meaning you always have a choice in which dice you take.

I'd love to one day play TI but avalibility in Europe seems quite scarce and I dont know anyone into the hobby as much as me which means finding people who want to play a whole days long game would probably be quite hard

Is Kemet that good? I've seen it talked about alot before and I want to get an area control game but I'm torn between that, Inis and maybe Rising Sun if the CMON jew doesnt fuck it up
>>
>>51984012
Nice, arabian nights is definitely one of those games where fun is the goal rather than competition. The dedicated GM sounds like a good idea if you can get someone willing to do it.

Is your group pretty creative? Do you guys rp or anything? I know arabian nights can be brutal if you play with people who refuse to get into it
>>
>>51984059
Kemet is a fantastic game, but it's my favorite so obviously I'm pretty biased. Also a lot of people make the argument that it is more a war game (not war-game but game about battles) than true area control and I would probably agree with that assessment. It does a great job of giving you tons of options but few resources to manage and plays very quick for having so much going on once you know the rules. I haven't been able to play inis yet but if you really like drafting games it might be up your ally because I'm pretty sure it's a drafting/area control game. It seems the art style is kinda polarizing though, so definitely check that out before you buy.

Rising Sun looks amazing but ya, the merchant has his hand deep up the asshole of that whole project so I'll definitely wait till it comes out to see how it ends up before putting any money into it.

That actually makes seasons sound really neat, I hadn't heard that about the drafting dice mechanic. I'll definitely check out a play through or something. Maybe someone at one of the meet ups we go to has a copy we can play.
>>
>>51984065
Yeah, it's a bunch of PnP nerds. It's a game when you're in the mood for something like Fiasco. I wouldn't bust it out for everyone, but it's great with the right people. Don't try playing with 6 people though unless you want it to take up an entire evening.

I'm also the guy that was talking about Eldritch Horror earlier. I like Eldritch Horror for being a good story telling game like Tales of the Arabian Nights/Fiasco, but having a lot more game to it. The balance of story telling, randomness, and strategy is just right for me and my significant other. I enjoy randomness in coop games, since it doesn't feel like someone is profiting from the misfortune. The bad dice are just part of the story, and even if you lose, it still was worth it if everyone had a good time. And yes, the Lovecraft theme does help. After being a Call of Cthulhu GM for years, it's nice to feel like a player in a Lovecraft adventure.

Also, recommended Power Grid expansions? Is the Robot one geared towards 2 players good or clunky? Do any of the new boards stand out especially?
>>
>>51984166
Theme is the reason to play EH for sure. I also enjoy Betrayal at House on the Hill for the same reason, and people fist you if you say you like that game online. Sometimes you're just in the mood to chill and enjoy some fun rather than crunch numbers all day errday.

I have actually never played Power Grid, so can't help ya there. What is the appeal of that game? I've tried watching videos on how to play (which is something I normally love to do, learn new games) but every time I start one for power grid I'm bored to tears about three minutes in and turn it off. Am I missing out? Should I sit through the whole thing before I judge or could it be just not for me? Sell me on it?
>>
>>51984216

It depends if you're in the mood for a Eurogame or not. It is very popular because the rules are very easy to follow, but the game can be pretty heated once people understand what is going on. The randomness from the power plant deck ensure that someone can't just blindly follow one broken strategy and win without thinking. There are measures put in place to prevent someone from having a bad start and getting snowballed hard. Direct competition in city and resource purchasing provide a lot of potential vectors for attack. It does seem very boring, but it's really quite a bit of fun a group of players with an even basic grasp of the rules. It also doesn't take terrible long to play, so long as someone isn't suffering decision paralysis.

I also have played some games of Betrayal. Sometimes they're really fun, but the randomness is a bit extreme. It's not terrible hard for the haunt to launch, and it's immediately clear one of the sides is just horribly boned. Also, some of the haunts in the expansion are not great, and one is flat out broken because the rules were not checked.
>>
>>51984362
Ya betrayal takes the luck factor so far to the max that the only reason to play it is if everyone is in the mood to throw some dice and get into the theme. EH has way more going on as far as legitimate rules and balance.

I'll have to try checking out PP again I think, maybe on a day when I'm already in a good mood. Or I might be able to find someone to teach me irl.
>>
Currently been all over Zombicide, and have a number of people who are consistently down to come play.

I painted the bases of all the zombies for clarity, as people were confusing runners and walkers.

Are any of the expansions worth the cash? Could I hypothetically make one fuckhuge map by stringing expansions together?

Picture related, shitty base job
>>
I think a lot of people dislike Betrayal because they think the purpose of all board games needs to be providing a balanced, competitive test of skill. Some are just designed to be fun diversions that you can enjoy over drinks with friends.

In my opinion it's also one of the best introductory boardgames for people who previously have only played Monopoly or similarly horrible-but-somehow-popular games. It's got a simple and fun concept, great atmosphere, easy-to-understand rules, and most games will only last 30-45 minutes. If people enjoy it then you can move up to more complicated fare.
>>
>>51951299
I have to confess Santorini is the only game that has bombed with my group

It's gotten 4-5 games out of it but has been a total dud

Not sure what to do with it now
>>
>>51977652
didnt know it was rus/pol
ill check it out, thanks anon
>>
>>51984845
I love wacky games, and while I don't despise betrayal and play it every Halloween, it's full of flaws beyond a Euro gamer taste. I can take randomness but I don't like aimlessness. I never feel like I'm going for anything or making any real decisions. Even when the haunt appears and the real game begins, I most of the time just feel like the game is already over and while I can be proven wrong at times, I'm mostly right and we just go through the motions.

A game can have randomness and still give you decision making, and that's what this game lacks for me.
>>
>>51984950
For sure, the only reason to play betrayal is theme and bantz. There is no real "game" there to speak of.
>>
>>51952732
I picked up the lone Gloomhaven copy at a random FLGS I've never been to before after my pre-order got cancelled and I started calling around. I felt so damn lucky.

I just finished organizing and reading the rule book last night. I'm fuckinf ready to get this show started. Very hyped.

has anyone played with a noob yet? What class is the most normie-friendly to start with
>>
>>51985292
>has anyone played with a noob yet? What class is the most normie-friendly to start with
The simplest to play would probably be the scoundrel. Run up and stab people for high damage -- not much more than that. The brute is fairly straightforward too, at least until you try to actively tank at which point there's some subtlety to it. The spellweaver is probably the most unforgiving -- if you play it wrong you can burn out almost immediately. The flame that burns four times as bright lasts a fourth as long...
>>
>>51984940
Apparently they also play it in SE Asia, not sure how the rules differ exactly though.
>>
New thread is up.

>>>51985992
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.