/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 31

File: lady knight.jpg (209KB, 666x995px) Image search: [Google]
lady knight.jpg
209KB, 666x995px
> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
>>51739425

Now that all classes had an arcana of their own, best/worst UA?
>>
What's your favorite monster?
Out of Monster Manual, Volo, and Tome of Beasts.
>>
>>51743547
>Best
Barbarian
>Worst
Monk

Special mention to the Fighter UA for not actually being bad, just boring and forgettable.
>>
I'm making an item designed for a diviner and I want one of its properties to make True Strike useful. Essentially
>You may use a bonus action to cast a divination cantrip.
If he could do that at will it'd be too strong, but once per day feels like hardly anything. How do I make this work?
>>
>>51743638
desu Kensei was a little fucked up
>>
>>51743638
>not wanting to play a "I don't want no trouble" tranquility monk.

Shit taste, my friend. I liked barbs too though.
>>
File: 1481079067223.png (61KB, 323x327px) Image search: [Google]
1481079067223.png
61KB, 323x327px
How do I stop hogging the spotlight when it comes to interacting with NPCs when my companions/fellow players are playing 1. an autistic, crazy retard who is Chaotic Neutral lolrandum and 2. a kenku? It feels like even though I'm trying not to hog the spotlight, due to the virtue of being the sanest person (I'm playing a Warforged barbarian) I am always the party face.
>>
>>51743677
>1. an autistic, crazy retard who is Chaotic Neutral lolrandum

nothing you can do there

>2. a kenku?

What's stopping him from being social?
>>
>>51743611
displacer beasts are the best looking imo
>>
>>51743697
I guess it's more that he can only speak using phrases he's heard during the conversation (or atleast that's how the player is playing him) so it limits his vocabulary when it comes to interacting with a person of importance.

I've never played a kenku so I can't really say anything more insightful.
>>
>>51743666
i love tranquility monks but their lvl 11 ability is possibly the worst class ability in the game. it should be something like "calm emotions" where it affects a whole group and ends hosilities, or else let them cast sanctuary on wismod friendly targets
>>
Hey, anons? Can someone add a copy of Kobold Press's Southland Heroes to the mega? The Midgard Heroes book is there, but the sequel isn't.

Also, simple query; since the three iconic White Plume Mountain weapons all made their way into the DMG, do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor from "Return to White Plume Mountain" as well?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor
>>
>>51743661
Recharges when you cast a divination spell?
Recharges when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher?
After using, roll a d6. On a roll of 1-X you can't use it until the following dawn?

etc
>>
>>51743774
>Recharges when you cast a divination spell?
Oh yes, that'll work. Using a spell slot to cast a divination spell of 1st level or higher. Thanks.
>>
File: Drink and Gunfinger.jpg (4KB, 126x121px) Image search: [Google]
Drink and Gunfinger.jpg
4KB, 126x121px
>>51743806
>>
>>51743661
It has a couple uses (maybe 2-3) that recharge during a short rest.
>>
I'm looking for line spells and can only find 4: Aganazzar's Scorcher, Gust of Wind, Lightning Bolt and Sunbeam. Are there more?
>>
>>51743730

Wait, now I'm not sure that I interpreted Kenku mimicry right. I always thought Kenku mimic other people's voices, but otherwise have no restrictions like "can only repeat back words they have heard." They do know and understand Common, after all. Rereading it,now I'm not so sure.
>>
File: bale.jpg (13KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
bale.jpg
13KB, 265x265px
How can I make my players take the initiative and roleplay more? We're all new around the table but I feel like I talk too much, and I talk too much because my players are relying on me to push the plot instead of doing it themselves. I don't want to railroad them, but they force me to railroad them. They basically just look at me and wait, expecting me to give them the options for them to follow instead of them making their own paths and challenge me.

>One of my players spent a solid 25 minutes real time trying to reach a farmer's widow house while bandits are looking for her because she heard the widow needs help.
>Finally reached the house and sees weeping widow.
>Player tried to calm her and tell her she's here to help.
>Widow is too hysterical and told the player to leave her in her grieving.
>Player said "ok" and left.
mfw
>>
>>51743547
Paladin was the worst.
>evil archetypes
No.

Warlock definitely got the best UA. They can actually do things besides mash eldritch blast now.
>>
>>51744029
Kenku can't "speak" in the traditional sense, as the entire race is cursed never to have a creative thought in their entire lives. They can mimic sounds they have heard, including speech, but they can't mimic the patterns of say, a specific person's speech and then say something they have never heard that person say.
>>
I wonder.
If people dislike Hexblade for the power coming from weapon why not just refluff it? Making the Hexblade being a pact with otherworldly being that is "I will give you what you want but in return you will be my soldier and enfrocer" would change nothing mechanicly.
Hell It does sound cooler and less edgy to me.
>>
>>51744097
One suggestion that might be a little counter-intuitive is to have a NPC accompanying the party for a while for whatever reason, then you'd have a voice inside the game.
>Player said "ok" and left.
>NPC sees that and goes "What are you doing? Don't you see she's distressed?
Also, put them on the spotlight. Have NPCs adress a character directly and decisively, so they have to respond. And since this is upsetting you, TALK with them out of game about this and see what they think. They might not have even realized. Lastly, you really have to be patient until your players are more comfortable with roleplaying and each other.
>>
>>51744097
Keep in mind that the players read into everything that happens as you trying to tell them something rather than as the characters acting like people. He probably wasn't persistent because he interpreted the widow telling him to leave as you telling him to fuck off with his 25 minute side quest shit.
>>
>>51744266
This. From a player perspective that whole scenario screams of stonewalling.
>>
>>51744246
>Making a pact with a sentient sword is edgy
I see what you did there.
>>
>>51744246
It's close enough to Dark Paladin that you might as well refluff it as that as well.
>>
>>51744266
>>51744317
Everyone in the group is actually doing their won shit. One was chatting with a flamboyant store owner, the other is having a fistfight duel with a bandit captain on the streets, and the ranger was fleeing from the bandits on her way to the farm since she was a wanted person. I told the players I encourage them to do their own shit. Unfortunately I had to HEAVILY encourage them to split up and be independent. I guess I need to be better at manipulating my players.

>>51744263
I had a retainer for one of the players, tried to have him start a conversation while the group was resting but the players didn't feel comfortable talking. I guess I have to ease them in.
>>
>>51744097
>expecting me to give them the options for them to follow instead of them making their own paths
I hope you're not doing the "dump the players in a big open sandbox and let them discover their own adventures" thing.

Try asking them what they do when it's time to make camp. Who sets up the tent, who makes the fire, what they do before they fall asleep, if anything. It's a little, largely unobtrusive thing that gets them thinking about their characters are more than Human Fighter with a Greatsword.
>>
File: magic-mirror.jpg (55KB, 400x525px) Image search: [Google]
magic-mirror.jpg
55KB, 400x525px
What's a good name for a mirror with divination powers?
>>
>>51744610
What kind of feel/tone does the setting or campaign have?
>>
>>51744368
I mean
Blackrazor
How could you not
>>
>>51744633
What do you want to know, exactly? It's a high magic campaign set in the Forgotten Realms. Running one of the modules, but altering it a bunch.
>>
>>51744610
Teevy.
>>
>>51744450
The easiest way to get someone to do something is to make that thing easier. Burning 30 minutes of game session just trying to get to the plot hook you want to explore only to be denied further once you get there is anything but encouraging.
>>
>>51744610
Mirror of Farsight.
Diviner's Mirror.
Silver Speculum.
Specular Lens.
Looking Glass.
>>
>>51743697
>What's stopping him from being social?
Himself
>>
>>51743547
>Best
Artificer, Revised Ranger, and Warlock
>Worst
Monk and Wizard
>>
>>51743661
As written, casting True Strike as a bonus action doesn't actually make it useful. It's a spell, so there's little you can do with your action afterwards and you cannot gain advantage from it until your next turn.
>>
>>51743976
Most walls can be shaped like a line. Does that count?
>>
Yo what's up with the retarded errata for draconic sorcerer's and their draconic affinity?

Does allowing it to account for all the rolls actually make it OP? Seems more like it cripples than anything, and makes your cantrip of choice arguably better than spending a spell slot.

If I'm to go with the errata, how do I apply it to things such as bonfire or to investiture of flame? You apparently only get to add it once. How can you even justify that from a world perspective? "Oh yeah, the bonfire was hotter just a second ago when he stepped in it but it cooled off a little."

Seems silly. Am I wrong in ignoring this errata?
>>
>>51745263
You might confuse people who have newer PHBs. They've done several print runs now with the errata text written in.
>>
>>51745174
>>you have better stuff to cast than fucking Hex.
>Actually, +3 Greatsword against AC 19, no hex:
>+14 to hit for 2d6+5+5+3+6
>>21.15
>+9 to hit for 2d6+5+5+3+6+10
>>20.15
>Actually, screw Hex and GWM (unless you want the bonus attack only).

Reposting for posterity. Hexblades. Don't fall into the GWM trap.
>>
>>51745222
What do you mean you can do little with your action? A bonus action cantrip doesn't limit what your Action can be.
>>
>>51745289
>A bonus action cantrip doesn't limit what your Action can be.
It limits so that the only spell you can cast is another cantrip.
>>
>>51745302
I thought it was you can't cast two non cantrip spells on a single turn, but youre a-ok to do a lvl1 spell and a cantrip on the same turn.
>>
>>51745338
That's only true if the level 1 spell was the bonus action. The rule is a bonus action spell of any level, even a cantrip, restricts your regular action to a cantrip or a non-spell action.
>>
>>51745338
Nope. if you cast *any* spell as a bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip with your Action.
>>
>>51745349
>>51745352
Huh, neat.

In the case of bonus action true strike, why not just use your action first and true strike after? You're not gonna benefit from it til your next turn anyway.
>>
>>51745276
Well everyone in my group has the older PHB, so that's not an issue.

It just seems to gimp sorcerers even more. They're supposed to be really good at the few spells they can cast right? Why not let them be the blasty mother fuckers they should be?

I mean, it seems like a rather reasonable trade off for the spells that it buffs. For example, the classic scorching ray. 2d6 per line. With the errata it goes to 6d6 + 5 instead of 6d6 + 15 assuming they all hit.

A warlock with EB spam gets to do 4d10+20 as a cantrip (again, assuming they all hit).

With the errata, why would a sorcerer ever cast scorcher as a level 2 spell when they could cast firebolt for 4d10+5 which has higher damage on average?

I suppose elemental adept could solve this. But still seems silly to me.

My bigger concern however is resolving and rationalizing other spells that don't have obvious "main" damage rolls such as investiture of flame and bonfire, as I previously mentioned.
>>
>>51745384
>My bigger concern however is resolving and rationalizing other spells that don't have obvious "main" damage rolls such as investiture of flame and bonfire, as I previously mentioned.

The player chooses one roll. That's how the errata reads. The sorcerer gets to momentarily boost the spell 1 time.
>>
>>51745384
>A warlock with EB spam gets to do 4d10+20 as a cantrip (again, assuming they all hit).

Warlocks deserve to have something nice since they're worse spellcasters than sorcerers in every other way.
>>
>>51745417
Fair enough.

>>51745404
Yeah, I understand it. I still don't like it, however.
>>
>>51745404
>>51745417
I don't think Warlock having Agonizing Blast is the problem, but why the fuck does the Sorcerer origin that was made for hitting harder with his spells needs this limitation. Isn't the base class already limited enough?
>>
What is the nuke druid? I saw it posted in the other thread and hadn't heard it before.
>>
>>51745377
The rule is reversible. If you cast a non-cantrip spell first, then you can't cast True Strike as a bonus action afterwards.
>>
>>51745463
Das what I'm sayin mayne.

Seems to me someone at wizards hates sorcerers and loves wizards. Doesn't want the evocation school to be outclassed it seems.

It makes a lot more sense in my mind that a sorcerer always grants more power to his specific element. Why should it be a momentary boost one time?
>>
>>51745463
Agonizing Blast doesn't apply to real spells like Elemental Affinity does. Evoker wizards get hit with the same nerf bat and none of the UA archetypes since Undying Light use such a mechanic without restriction either.
>>
File: 1482951804869.jpg (17KB, 350x394px) Image search: [Google]
1482951804869.jpg
17KB, 350x394px
So what is the agreed-upon tiers list for 5e?

The one I've seen posted here the most is:

Tier 1 (can do anything, all the time): Clerics, wizards, bards
Tier 2 (can do most things some of the time): Druids, warlocks, paladins
Tier 3 (can do one thing most of the time): Fighters, Rogues, Barbarians
Tier 4 (total shit): Rangers, monks

So, basically the same as 3.x. The only thing 5e really changed was simplifying the rules (semi-good idea), rolling all the level-based bonuses into one thing (good idea), and turning all the interesting effects into shitty damage types (horrid idea).

It's still the same unbalanced shit-heap, except better balanced, and the imbalance is hidden behind a wall of once-per-day abilities. The superior choice is still either D&D 4e or AD&D depending if you want heroic heroes or semi-heroic dungeon crawling.
>>
>>51745528
But why this nerf affects spells like Scorching Ray? You still need to make a spell attack roll for each ray.
>>
>>51745530
4e is definitely the superior game, anon. That's why /4eg/ is much more popular than /5eg/ and /pfg/, the first of which is its failed successor that reinstated all of the awful things that 4e threw out and the second of which is the ugly, malformed clone of 3.5.

There's absolutely no logical reason why 5e or PF would ever be more liked than 4e.
>>
File: 0d2.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
0d2.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>>51745530
>Warlocks above fighters and rogues
>Forgot sorcerers
>categorized druids as the "can do most thing some of the time."
>>
>>51745530
> The superior choice is still either D&D 4e or AD&D depending if you want heroic heroes or semi-heroic dungeon crawling.
4rries still fucking delusional.
>>
>>51745530
Stale bait.
>>
>>51745024
>Speculum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculum_(medical)
>>
>>51745656
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculum_(medical)
>A speculum (Latin for "mirror"; plural specula or speculums)
Yes?
>>
>>51745586
Wtf are you doing wasting your slots on single-target damage as a sorcerer?
>>
>>51745699
It wasn't a waste before the errata.
>>
>>51745024
>>51745656
>>51745674
With the Silver Speculum, you get proficiency on Wisdom (Medicine) checks.
>>
>>51744110
>the entire race is cursed never to have a creative thought in their entire lives

that sounds like it would be impossible to role play. Say, for instance, you decide to strategize or use an unconventional maneuver in combat,or use a spell in some way other than the most straightforward purpose? You just can't do that as a kenku?
>>
>>51745710
Yeah it was. You could do so much more powerful things than single target damage with sorcerer spells.
>>
>>51745592
> popularity equals quality meme

Nice non-argument. No, it's time for you to shut up. By your exact logic, Fifty Shades of Gray is a good book, Twilight and the Hungers Games are good books, Harry Potter is a good book, et cetera. Say it. In reply to this post, fucking say that just as I said it, no faggoty "/s" reddit sarcasm tag attached. Because that is what you are saying.

Also, there IS no reason why 5e is better than 4e, because 5e brings back everything that was wrong with teh game, that 4e fucking FIXED:

> armor class not improving by level
> hit dice
> vancian casting and spell matrices
> alignments
> shitty background mechanics
> martials are underpowered again

So basically, you are wrong. yeah, I know, hating on 4e got popular on here. Well, too damn bad. Because it's the best edition of D&D there is. At least if we are talking about ACTUAL RPG QUALITY and not the stupid fucking insane rubric used by grognards who want all their OSR bullshit perfectly preserved. Merals accidentally designed a half-way decent game, then realized that 4e wasn't producing enough shekels (nervousmerchant.jpg) so he immediately came out and said, "4e is shit! We're making a fifth edition to pander to the motherfucking grognards who comprise 1% of the fucking hobby, and THAT is the best way to make a new game." Then once the 3aboos had what they wanted (a shitty reboot of 3e with less mechanics and more crap) they started singing its praises, and the game showed up on five different fucking TV shows and got popular. Then Wizards of the Coast saw the shekels pouring in and misattributed that to them designing a good game, instead of the truth, which is that 3.5 and 5e are shit editions and are basically the laughingstock of the real RPG community.

Go have a look at the retarded rules in AD&D. You see that? THAT is what Merals and the others were pandering to with 5e. And it's a hot plate of steaming shit, no matter how many hipster faggots buy the game.
>>
>>51745285
what if I do 3 in devotion paladin for the +cha to hit
>>
>>51745530
>>51745592
>>51745771
Can you shits take your shitspewing somewhere else.
>>
>>51745823
It's one dude posting pasta. The posting style is the same every time these arguments appear.
>>
>>51745771
Of course, anon. You're totally right.

That's why nobody dropped 4e like it was hot trash the moment that a WotC-made alternative to it came out.
>>
>>51745530
Monks, aka stun machines as the lowest? Top kek m8

Wizards may be king, but skills have played a large part in most of the games I've played, even high level ones.
>>
>>51745804
Then you would normally overcap your to hit bonus, so power attack would probably be worthwhile to use. Seems unlikely to happen though.
>>
>>51745852
Then you guys stop taking the bait.

>>51745860
5eg isn't where you vent that.
>>
>>51745886
well you get jackshit at level 18/19/20 of warlock in comparison to devotion paladins, so I think if it's a 20th level campaign or somehow the player got to that point despite most campaigns dying before then, it's probably worth it
>>
>>51743611
Bulette
>>
If I don't want to run a bladesinger or a bladelock, what are my magic/melee options?
>>
>>51745929
Eldritch Master is 4 more 5th level slots a day. You also give up your 8th invocation and an ASI. It's not free.
>>
>>51745980
Eldritch Knight
>>
Could I combine the eldritch knight/hexblade and stone sorcerer for maximum edgelord/flavor potential?
>>
>>51746001
>>51745980
Or Arcane Trickster, I guess.
Plus, Hexblade doesn't lock you in to Blade Pact.
>>
>>51745222
Damn, you're right. Well, I guess they could still get a Firebolt with advantage off, but it's still rather underwhelming. Guess I could add that when they use that item' property, they can ignore the restriction on bonus action spells?
>>
>>51745656
Always wanted to stick things in my party members' butts
>>
>>51745530
Not quite that simple.

I would have to say paladins are flat-out hte best at combat, though they lack out of combat (And some in combat) flexibility.
Druids are up with the clerics/wizards/bards because moon druid can be very strong at the lower levels or at the higher levels land druids still get just about enough spellslots compared to wizards and can still cast stuff like polymorph and some reincarnation stuff and such. Maybe wizard and bard are better, but not enough better to warrant another tier.
And tier two is very blurry, could well be every single other class.

Rangers are okay with the new UA. Monks are actually fine, they're just rather heavily specified and a player who has no idea what they're doing can fuck up if they don't focus dex/wis or make use of mobility and such.

Compared to 3.5e's tiers, there's only really tier 1 and tier 2 with a bit of tier 3 if you fuck things up and tier 4 is honestly impressive if you manage to get there without intending to.
>>
Is Helm alive again?
>>
>>51746009
>>51745980
Oh, shit, yeah, and Stone Sorcerer.

And sure you could, but I'm not entirely certain how useful it'd be.
>>
>>51746099
They're to check the cervix and help with pap smears.
>>
>>51746131
Is it too MAD? Or too scattered in class features to be useful? :<
>>
>>51745980
>Bladesinger
Obnoxious. It's just wizard with a load of AC.

>bladelock
Use new hexblade, waste all your invocations on combat shit and wonder what you're doing with your life. Better than bladesinger, at least.
>>
>>51746118
Yes. Basically everyone is.
>>
>>51743661
>When you use your action to cast a divination cantrip, you can cast a spell as a bonus action
2/short rest or prof/day
>>
File: IMG_1262.jpg (597KB, 1207x1572px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1262.jpg
597KB, 1207x1572px
Designing a throwaway edgelord mini boss that's a Tiefling with a Mask who fights with a spear and is hellbent on testing the party Tiefling fighter's worth by attempting to kill her.

What would be some dope special moves for a spear fighting dude? Is it cooler to give him loads of extra actions or minions (which I worry would detract from his lone murderdude appeal)?
>>
>>51746190
I just don't know, really. I've only been in two campaigns for a total of two sessions each, and that was with dragon sorc and homebrew Wizard.
If nothing else, Hexblade and Stone Sorcerer could be solid with the melee by manner of using CHA for melee as well as spells.
>>51746213
He said DON'T.
>>
>>51745263
The issue it creates is that multi hit spells of lower levels trump higher level spells is nearly every case. You can still eldritch blast, and magic missile, but that's their explanation.
>>
>>51744246
>>51744437

Just make them the religious warriors of an Evil God
>>
>>51746219

Who are the losers? The Dueregar pantheon was taken by Asmodeus, last I heard.
>>
>>51745285
GWM isn't a trap. It's a bonus action attack. You nova so hard that it's more reliable on your than anything else, and beyond that you're very limited in attacks without it.
>>
>>51746233
Just use battlemaster moves and fluff them up a bit. Got a lot of shit there like knockdown, extended range, disarm, parries, hell you can even use the inspiring cry bit to hype himself up with temporary HP.
>>
>>51745823
Nah.

>>51745860
Not an argument.

>>51745868
>stun machines

Still inferior to wizards

>>51746102
Paladins are not at all good.
>>
>>51746213
>>51746247
This is a new word for me.

Well, in such a case, paladinsorcerer is always the way.
>>
>>51746283
I don't know what the poster you're replying to thinks but basically PAM>GWM for a bladelock once you have things like lifedrinker.
Without lifedrinker and hexblade's thing, maybe PAM+GWM is best.
>>
>>51744610
Lapis Lazuli
:^)
>>
>>51746283
The trap is that everyone tells you GWM is a great feat (and it is) and you take the feat so you use power attack all the time. Don't use power attack when you already hit really hard with each attack.

>>51746331
>basically PAM>GWM
This is true, but that's probably why none of the smite invocations are for weapons you can use PAM with.
>>
>>51746331
You have to use the greatsword to smite as a Hexblade Warlock which removes PAM from the equation, and puts GWM into question.
>>
>>51743611

Flail Snail. Hands down.
>>
>>51746301
>Paladins are not at all good
As if.
They're lacking out of combat somewhat, being limited to mostly using their charisma and sometimes having a spell for utility but mostly notso, but in combat they're godlike.
Reliable damage comparable (or in certain cases beyond) fighter's, nova damage beyond even a caster's, heals, good AC, a little extra utility from channel divnity and all that, +a fuck load to everybody's save throws and then some other features here and there.

Any ideal team I'd make would have one paladin, but no more and no less.
>>
>>51746301
Fuck off, you self confessed piece of literal shit.
>>
>>51746368
>>51746350
Once you get lifedrinker, and espeically considering hexblade's +damage to a target, GWM isn't an option. You deal too much damage on a hit to make use of the +10 damage ability.
Sure, you're more likely to crit, but it's not reliable enough before that with only two attacks.

Before lifedrinker (Which is most of the time) GWM isn't bad, but it isn't super great. If you're already MAD it's probably better than +2 strength, perhaps.
>>
>>51746290
That's true. What about minions?
>>
How conspicuous is Bend Luck? You could rig a gladiatorial duel, or any sport really, without anyone noticing.
>>
>>51746230
>prof/day
I might do that.

>>51745024
I'm afraid those don't really fit the flavour of the item. And Diviner's Mirror is too on the nose.

>>51746338
Why Lapis Lazuli?
>>
How's this for insanity?
Martials get feats for free when they would otherwise choose between an ASI or a feat.
>>
>>51746400
You're not understanding. GWM gives you a bonus action attack when you kill something. When you nova you're highly likely to kill something, and get a bonus action attack. If you're doing PAM stuff that means that you're not using the smiting weapons because none of them work with those weapons, which means you're an entirely different build using max Cha instead of max Str (or Dex if it's a bow smite build).
>>
>>51746418
Depends on what you want to do with the villain.

If you want to make this a quick throwaway thing, I liked Matt Colville's idea of having a bunch of minions that keep their statblocks but their HP is low to the point where 1-2 attacks from a martial just cleaves them in two. It keeps the threat of high numbers without the time investment of mowing through several enemies that have ~50 HP

If you want more of a commander aspect, give him less minions but the man himself can have legendary actions that act as commands for the mercs. Good examples are actions that form a defensive formation around the leader, a wedge formation to pressure their casters, spread out. There's a fair bit of potential there.
>>
>>51746437
What's a fighter going to do with 7 (8 if variant human) feats?
>>
>>51746475
Fulfilling their hopes and dreams.
>>
>>51746475
What about every 2nd level?
>>
>>51746437
How about at every odd ASI they get a free feat? As in their 2nd, 4th, and 6th (for rogues and fighters)?
>>
>>51746576
Please see>>51746566
Oh shit, great minds.
>>
>>51746472
I'm liking the idea of some command actions. I think I'll work up a little squad of disciplined dudes to help him out. Devil commandos or some shit
>>
>>51745771
>> armor class not improving by level
Bounded accuracy
>> hit dice
You mean that thing 4e did but with a different name?
>> vancian casting and spell matrices
Oh no, resource management that is slightly more complicated than 3rd grade math
>> alignments
Noncomplaint unless your some fuck who actually cares about them, especially since everything having to do with alignments other than artifacts is about types of monsters now
>> shitty background mechanics
How dare my backstory play a part in my game that isn't directly related to combat.
>> martials are underpowered again
So you've never played the game I see? Because an averagely built fighter can do shit just as effectively as the wizard. Hell best fight ender in the game is a half caster and its purely because of shitting out damage.
>>
Has there being a martial class which gives other pcs on the team actions on the martial's turn?
>>
>>51746708
Other than some garbage battlemaster fighter stuff? No. There's some homebrews floating around with varying levels of jank.
>>
>>51746708
Battlemaster with Commander's Strike, as far as I know.
>>
>>51745758
You just can't say anything about it unless you've "sampled" the appropriate sound previously.
>>
>>51746378
Not an argument.
>>
I'm currently playing a Ranger and have found myself stripped of all weapons and I was wondering if colossus slayer and hunters mark activated on unarmed attacks?
>>
>>51746802
Are you autistic as well?
>>
Has anyone here who doesn't like 4e actually played it? Not necessarily defending it but I almost always get the feeling that people who hate on it haven't played it because it was too different.
>>
>>51746804
why wouldnt they?
>>
>>51746804
Unarmed strikes are non weapon weapon attacks. If it says "When you hold a weapon in some convoluted way." unarmed strike won't count as a weapon. If it says "a melee weapon attack" it does count. That means it works with those two things.
>>
>>51745980
I like sorcadin. Take pally to 2 or 6 then the rest in sorceror. I've done dragon, but stone is probs fine too
>>
>>51746916
Why don't unarmed strikes count as weapons? I have never understood the need for a distinction.
>>
>>51746916
>non weapon weapon attacks

lol good going there Mike "Natural Language" Mearls
>>
>>51746915
>>51746947
Because people are retarded.
>>
>>51746670
Isn't Vancian casting assigning spells to spells slots, something that dosnn't happens on 5e?
>>
>>51746947
Because wizard likes to make things confusing as fuck?

Probably because using Booming Blade with your fist doesn't make sense even if it sounds fucking awesome
>>
>>51747005
What if you used Booming Blade with your dick?
>>
>>51746947
Stuff like dueling I think. Before the errata and distinction I had all kinds of wonders about your fists being simple weapons, and if you hold a shield in one hand if you are wielding your offhand as a weapon, or is your offhand a weapon you don't wield. Then I wondered if your shield was an improvised weapon at all times or not. Then since you can make an unarmed strike with kicks if you always have many weapons even if you're sword + board, because it's also + legs + elbows + head.

So now we have the very understandable ruling today. :^)
>>
>>51746993
Yes, 5e isn't proper vancian. Vancian is precasting the majority of a spell then stopping right before you finish to use it later in the day while 5e has spell slots you can apply to any spell of a certain level.
>>
>>51746670
>Bounded accuracy

And it's shit. A fighter only gets 20% better at hitting by virtue of his training from level 1 to fucking 20. Wow!

> You mean that thing 4e did but with a different name?

Yeah and it sucked ass.

> Oh no, resource management that is slightly more complicated than 3rd grade math

Needlessly complicated. Remember 3.5 used 3rd grade math too and it was still needlessly complicated and full of pointless bookkeeping. But since you can't say why, say why not! PILE ON MORE SHIT ONTO THE SHITTIEST SYSTEM IN EXISTENCE!

You have NO fucking argument for why vancian casting is GOOD, only that "lol you're stupid if you can't understand it."

Does that BULLSHIT argument extend to 3.5? Nah, it only extends to the system YOU like and shill because it reminds you of your shitty Pathfinder game.
>>
>>51747018
That didn't help at all.
>>
>>51746670
>Because an averagely built fighter can do shit just as effectively as the wizard. Hell best fight ender in the game is a half caster and its purely because of shitting out damage.

You just contradicted yourself, dumbfuck.

> How dare my backstory play a part in my game that isn't directly related to combat.

It always did. It's called, pick a skill. Woop-de-fuckin doo.

> Noncomplaint unless your some fuck who actually cares about them, especially since everything having to do with alignments other than artifacts is about types of monsters now

You try dealing with the autists that have 9 hour alignment arguments.

Then tell me exactly how alignment makes D&D better.

It improves nothing.

> noncomplaint

It's also a non-functional part of the game you stupid fucking kike. If it doesn't have a useful function, it should not be part of the game. Simple as that. That's standard fucking game design. I know that's a foreign concept to you because you think D&D is new and fresh for introducing two new mechanics in the game that have existed in RPGs since 19-fucking-85.
>>
>>51746874
I played 4e, and while I personally thought it was a perfectly acceptable edition, I could see why other folks wouldn't like it. The board and squares were more necessary than any other version, so while it added a nice touch of mechanical depth to combat, it paradoxically made things a bit more bland with my group because no one wanted or needed to pull some imaginative stunt out of their ass to win.
>>
>>51747106
>All the artwork in the PHB has no useful function! Why include it?
>>
>>51747058
>>51747106
Goddammit you pieces of shit, can you not.
>>
>>51747106
>You try dealing with the autists that have 9 hour alignment arguments.
>I ignore alignment in my campaigns
Problem solved.
>>
>>51747297
>I ignore alignment in my campaigns
Doesn't everyone?
>>
>>51743547
Next Unearthed Arcana will be probably on the subject of the Mystic . Expectations?
>>
>>51747198
It's not rules-related, dumb shit. Stop making fallacious arguments to spin shit when you know you're wrong and cannot justify Vancian magic over the superior 4e system.

>>51747229
> wah wah how dare people discuss the game mechanics, they should only be circlejerking about what the best build is and posting inane homebrew race PDFs that are terribly formatted and abso-fucking-lutely nothing to the game, because new races are the most low-effort and also the most cancerous kind of homebrew.

If your setting contains a homebrew race, fuck you. Seriously, go to hell. Why? Because when asked the question "what's interesting about your setting and why should I give a fuck about it?" you answered "well I have this really cool new race of blue people who once per blue moon meet on the cheese planet..." and already no one gives a fuck. I know the real ones aren't that bad, but it's a goddamn example, stop sperging out. Here's the deal: no setting is ever good because of race. Except for one or two decent races that STILL are at-beast a small shiny penny in a state-fair-porta-potty turd. Like Eberron was a steaming heap of shit with scatophile semen glazed on the top like a grotesque cinnamon roll, but at least Warforged were pretty cool. Cept the kikes at wizards copyrighted those so you can't use them. Oops.

See, new races are garbage, ebcause they add nothing to the game. They just turn it into more of a walking freakshow and add more fluff and lore that doesn't matter.

No, fagwit, you don't need to play that obscure race you found in a 3rd party book online published by some fat wanker with a community college creative writing class under his belt that he took in his 40s to "expand his horizons". The race he came up with? Adds nothing. No, you want to play a snowflake race because YOU cannot ROLEPLAY, and you are trying to cover that up by playing some oh-so-fucking-unique race.
>>
>>51746436
The Philospher's Reflection, perhaps?

>>51747336
For it to either be overpowered as fuck or completely useless. I'm leaning towards the former after the last UA.
>>
>>51747336
For a sperg fight to break out over weather or not the mystic is fantasy or not
>>
File: 1443115912213.jpg (41KB, 400x483px) Image search: [Google]
1443115912213.jpg
41KB, 400x483px
>>51747297
The it shouldn't be in the game. If everyone ignores the mechanic because it's pointless, then THERE IS NO REASON TO HAVE IT IN THE GAME ANYMORE.

It is kept in. Why? Because it is one of the last shreds of D&D that have not been utterly bested by 1000 games since. D&D has been objectively beaten at its own design goals, repeatedly, with an example for EVERY edition. AD&D has been flat-out improved multiple times.

The only asset D&D has anymore, is an established audience.

It has, quite literally, no other qualities.
>>
>>51747350
Anon what does PHB artwork have to do with defending Vancian casting? Also alignment isn't rules-related anymore either.
>>
>>51747058
>And it's shit. A fighter only gets 20% better at hitting by virtue of his training from level 1 to fucking 20. Wow!
Yep, every monster has the exact same AC and the fighter will literally never get any stat ups or feats as a part of his fucking class.>>51747058
>Yeah and it sucked ass.
Then stop saying 4e is so fucking great.

Oh no, 9 numbers which will never go above 4, how fucking complicated.
>>51747106
How is saying a half martial is strongest for DPR for the first few rounds a contradiction in anyway? Fighters do extreme burst in the first round or two, barbs do sustained engagements, Rogues are skill monkeys and sustained dps with friends.
>It always did. It's called, pick a skill. Woop-de-fuckin doo.

>City Watch
>Skill Proficiencies. Athletics, Insight
>Languages. Any two of your choice
>Equipment. A uniform in the style of your unit and indicative of your rank, a horn with which to summon help, a set of manacles, and a pouch containing 10 gp.
>Feature: Watcher's Eye. Your experience in enforcing the law, and dealing with lawbreakers, gives you a feel for local laws and criminals. You can easily find the local outpost of the watch or a similar organization, and just as easily pick out the dens of criminal activity in a community, although you're more likely to be welcome in the former locations rather than the latter.
One skill can cover all of that right?
>>
>>51747350
Yeah, continue to sperg out. Reading your typing is like watching a tard's tantrum. Thanks for the entertainment and the idiocy, autist.
>>
>>51747106
>>51747383
Alignment is optional in 5e. Do you understand what the word optional means?
>>
>>51746436
How about S'renivid Mirror then? "diviner'S" mirrored.
>>
>>51746720
Is battlemaster really garbage or is that memeing?

>>51746736
Thanks dude, I'll check that out as well as the homebrews.
>>
>>51747336
It'll make sorcerers even more obsolete.
>>
>>51747508
What happens if you restrict the lore tradition to sorcerers?
>>
>>51747476
>Seeing the Future, by Rorrim S'renivid.
>>
>>51747488
The battlemaster is not garbage. Commander's Strike is garbage.

It's not completely garbage. It's just very dependent on having someone in your party who can really take advantage of it, like a rogue.
>>
>>51747106
>you try dealing with autists that have 9 hour alignment arguments
That sounds more like your inability to find non-spergs to play with. A system doesn't need to remove features just because you don't have any normal friends.
>>
>>51743697
Quite frankly, only feat choice.

Buddy of mine has a kenku monk with the actor/linguist feats. Yet to see him try anything with it but someday...
>>
>>51745592
Just like justine beiber's latest album is more popular than mozart.
>>
>>51747508
This, more than anything, infuriates me about the latest UA.

You give some GOOD SHIT to the Sorcerer, who by far compared to the other primary casters needs some fucking love and attention, only to cockslap them right in the goddamn face with a WIZARD archetype that renders one of the pillars of their fucking class utterly redundant!

I play 5e to get AWAY from the class shittery of 3.5! FUCK!
>>
Aura of Protection pretty much breaks bounded accuracy in a lot of stuff. I was looking at Contact Other Plane it asks for a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw every time you cast. A 9th level wizard will usually have a +9 to int saves by then, then that's a 25% chance to fail only. If you add in a paladin to the mix, especially if that paladin reaches 20 Charisma, that wizard will practically never fail it.
>>
>>51747796
A devotion paladin with +13 to hit when using his divinity, and giving himself and his party +5 to saves is probably the best use for Hexblade's Cha to hit and damage.
>>
>>51747723
Yeah. Yes.
>>
File: 218673299452985344.png (12KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
218673299452985344.png
12KB, 112x112px
I'm a bit late to the party I think

>Lore Wizard

this is the shit of miracles
>>
>>51747401
>Then stop saying 4e is so fucking great.

One bad part of 4e, versus 300 pages of 5e that suck ass.

4e is better.

> How is saying a half martial is strongest for DPR for the first few rounds a contradiction in anyway?

Because you said martials were better, fuckwit.

> One skill can cover all of that right?

Yeah, because no one needs that gay-ass background shit that restricts you to what the book says. Backgrounsd are just an extra layer of crap mechanic.

>>51747422
>Alignment is optional in 5e.

That wasn't what I fucking asked. Does it serve a purpose, yes or no? BESIDES being a sacred cow.

>>51747710
I do have normal friends. They are non-D&D-players.
>>
>>51747912
Up to the DM if alignments serve a purpose because it's fucking optional, you autistic retard.
>>
If you cast a bonus action spell, can you use your action to cast a leveled spell from a magic item, like a wand of fireballs?
>>
>>51748000
No. Casting a spell from an item still counts as casting a spell.
>>
>>51747979
Stop biting the bait, you autistic retard.
>>
>>51748009
I'm not the one spewing drivel, you autist. Don't break out the "I was only pretending to be retarded" shit, you fuckwit.
>>
What's a fun language to shout spell names in?
>>
>>51748038
If you want to horrify your enemies and drive them before you, German.
>>
>>51748038
Latin is the classic choice, but Welsh and Gaelic are my go-to when playing druids.
>>
>>51748034
>>51748009
Now kiss.
>>
>>51748034
I don't think you know when it's appropriate to accuse people of pretending to be retarded. >>51747912
Is a good candidate for that.
>>51748009
Doesn't make any sense because they haven't actually presented an argument or anything to pretend to be retarded with.
>>
>>51748038
Hebrew

finger of death becomes "Ezbah H'Mavet!"
>>
>>51748071
Look, I haven't been reading very closely, but I see a bait post that was responded to a while ago, and that's where this whole debacle started.
>>
>>51748038
Currently playing an Undying Warlock, having a hilarious time incanting my spells in Romanian.
>>
>>51748071
>>51747912
He's not pretending to be retarded because he is actually retarded. And he's legitimately autistic.

>>51748114
Then reply to the other bait response, you fuckwit.
>>
>>51748038
>>51748045
>>51748049
>>51748097
>>51748116
Now I'm wondering, for my Half-Elf Wizard, if I were to be shouting spells in Elvish, what language should I draw that from?
>>
>>51748242
Irish Gaelic
>>
>>51747401
Not the other guy but, I also hate backgrounds. I don't like the idea of a role play crutch at lv 1. It feels more roll play than role play.
>>
>>51748242
Spanish.
>>
>>51748242
>Elvish
Well, Tolkien's Sindarin is based on Welsh in both sound and grammar, so probably another Celtic language, like Gaelic as >>51748253 suggests.
>>
>>51748242
Fantasy Elvish languages are almost universally associated with real world Celtic languages.
>>
>>51748270
Why the fuck are you playing at L1?
>>
>>51748242
For something different, Japanese or Mandarin Chinese.
>>
>>51748270
>role play crutch
Its only there to give some background to characters that wouldn't have had it otherwise, and to give you some skill proficiencies so that your character isn't solely a class, in mechanical terms. There's no reason it needs to interfere with your normal PC creation process, just make your PC as normal, pick the background that best reflects them or modify an existing one to suit the character and away you go. Its just a way of allowing your background to provide you with some actual mechanical benefit without being dependent on your class features. No PC is born an adventurer, might as well have a feature that reflects that fact mechanically.
>>
>>51748345
It's really not so bad. Also doesn't last very long.
>>
>>51748356
>No PC is born an adventurer
Someone needs a homebrew an Adventurer Egg background, for those that are.
>>
>>51748270
Backgrounds give you suggested character characteristics, ie personality, ideals, bonds, character flaws.
Yeah, that's rollplaying.
>>
File: here comes ayn rand.jpg (79KB, 500x311px) Image search: [Google]
here comes ayn rand.jpg
79KB, 500x311px
>>51748270
Backgrounds are the best feature that 5e baked into character creation. Instead of depending on alignment and giving no reason to think about your character's history before adventuring, they suddenly bake in starting equipment, skills, tools, and languages into an easy-to-customize package focused on their non-adventuring life.
>>
>>51748345
>not playing at level 1
Literally the best way to play unless you just want to do a dungeon crawl of extreme Tomb of Horrors type stuff.
>>
>>51748347
Skill names in Japanese are usually long strings of kanji, which use approximated Chinese pronunciations. What I'm saying is, go with Mandarin. Get the different pitches correct too, since that seems very in line with how the PHB describes incantations.
>>
I need music for an Underdark adventure coming up. Any atmospheric or mood-setting tracks are welcome, as is full on songs.
>>
>>51748544
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
>>
>>51748580
I'll take "What the Actual Fuck", for 1600, Alex.
>>
>>51748642
Looks pretty close to what you asked for to me.
>>
>>51748668
I have no fucking clue what this is? It's...like a farting frog or something?
>>
>>51748544
Try looking through this guy's stuff, find what you like, and just run it in the background while you run the game.
>>
>>51748679
>>51748544
A fool I am, not to post the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a483kj0sR4c
>>
>>51748694
This looks promising. I'll have a listen to this.

Definitely looking for a "nothing-is-as-it-seems" vibe.
>>
>>51748544
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3oefjnyDZc
>>
>>51748759
I am confused by the amount of 8 and 16 bit music I keep getting.
>>
What does a Male Aasimar look like
>>
>>51748795
A male model.
>>
>>51748795
Fabio, back in his prime.
>>
Just learned that maybe I'll have to DM a oneshot tomorrow since some players we'll be missing and the DM didn't had time to plan the session.
There would be 5 lvl 4. Any good quest already made up? Adventure league maybe? Dungeon clearing would be easy since there's no big intrigue or RP.
>>
>>51748778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df3X_yJs24E
It's good music for an underground campaign.
>>
File: 1485215474206.jpg (292KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1485215474206.jpg
292KB, 707x1000px
>>51748795
Aasimar are kinda ambiguous in terms of looks, just whatever you think the mortal descendant of a celestial being would look like, I imagine.

>>51748778
Enjoy the local trolls, this one seems to like you.
>>
>>51748795
Depends on how you take Aasimar to be-

If you're a boring fuck, aryan and... that's it.

Or take some details from celestial creatures like in the MM and randomize them kinda like tieflings.
Lack of body hair, shades of blue skin, a lack of pupils, markings on the skin, halo/halo of light around the head, etc.
>>
>>51748844
>>51748866
>Enjoy the local trolls, this one seems to like you
I'll admit, I'm flattered by the attention.
>>
>>51747901
>What if we just gave Sorcerer's unique class mechanic to its strictly better counterpart?
>>
>>51746947
So you can't use dueling with them.
>>
>>51748983
Why would that be a problem?
>>
>>51747005
It works actually. PHB errata.

Feel free to LOOOUUIIIEEE PAAAUNCHUUU to your hearts content.
>>
>>51748795
They're meant to be awe inspiring physically. A human in their prime, blessed with genetics. A golden hue to their skin is generally present and generally golden(not blonde) or silver hair.

So essentially you'd have a guy who is more than likely not extremely attractive, fit, not likely hairy, and golden/silver hair.
>>
>>51749010
It specifically doesn't, because of PHB errata. It requires a "melee attack with a weapon," which means unarmed strikes do not qualify.
>>
>>51749006
Monks aren't balanced around it. It's also why they can't 'duel wield' with their fists. Just an ugly mechanics thing. Remember that dueling would be just as good as levelling for a monk's fists as 10 levels.
>>
>>51749084
Melee Attacks (p. 195). The rule on
unarmed strikes should read as follows:
“Instead of using a weapon to make a
melee weapon attack, you can use an unarmed
strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or
similar forceful blow (none of which count
as weapons). On a hit, an unarmed strike
deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1 +
your Strength modifier. You are proficient
with your unarmed strikes.”

via sage advice as well

Does the Savage Attacker feat work with unarmed strikes? Yes, it does. Savage Attacker benefits melee weapon attacks, and an unarmed strike is a melee weapon attack. [Earlier this year, the Player's Handbook errata clarified that an unarmed strike is a nonweapon that can make melee weapon attacks. This means an unarmed strike qualifies for anything, such as Stunning Strike, that requires a melee weapon attack, but not for something, such as Sneak Attack or magic weapon, that requires a weapon. At the heart of this rule is the distinction between an attack and a weapon; the former is something you do, whereas the latter is an object.]

You can smite with your fist, have fun.
>>
>>51743611
Salamander, but I dislike that they are unanimously evil. I can just kinda picture one as a burning sage living in apond, making it a hotsprings, so that they don't set fire to a forest or something.
>>
>>51743611
Nightmare.

GET IT? NIGHT. MARE?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
How do you determine which stat you use for spellcasting when you have multiple spellcasting classes based off different stats?
>>
>>51746371
This anon knows what's up.
>>
>>51749225
by the spell source, you dingus.
>>
>>51749225
Depends on what spell you're casting. If you're a Wizard/Cleric and you cast Cure Wounds, your spellcasting ability for that is still Wisdom.
>>
Here's the problem with unarmed strikes and dual wielding: by definition, unarmed strikes are not necessarily just punching once, but "a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow." What this means is that, while you can punch with both fists, they would count as a singular melee attack.
>>
>>51749130
>Once per turn when you roll damage for a melee weapon attack, you can reroll THE WEAPON'S damage dice and use either total.

But this shouldn't work with unarmed strikes because there are no weapon damage dice being rolled, as there is no weapon. Right?

I don't see how this is valid by their logic.

Also, Booming Blade specifically says "with a weapon" so I think it falls into the same category as Sneak Attack.
>>
Can I continue Blinking as a potted plant?
>>
>>51749634
Only if you're a potato.

Because potatoes have eyes

xxxxddddd
>>
>>51743611
Korred.

>>51743677
There is literally nothing you can do.

>>51743547
The best UA was the Sorcerer. The worst was either the Monk or the Bard.

>>51748795
Hercules.
>>
File: mfw.gif (3MB, 218x168px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
3MB, 218x168px
>>51749690
>The best UA was the Sorcerer.
But... they failed to fix the class?
>>
>>51749743
>Thinking that classes need to be "fixed"

Bitch I played a palading in 3.5 and I liked sucking ass. When I realized that after level 2 the only things I would be getting by staying in the class were improvements to my horse and another use of cure disease every week I was glad! I ate WotC's shit and licked its asshole clean and asked for more! You stupid cunts these days are so entitled to think that the game should be "balanced" or that party members should all be "useful". It's cancer like you that's killing the industry and inviting the mudslimes into our country to rape all of our women! I'M NOT JUST GONNA SIT HERE AND TAKE IT ANYMORE!
>>
>>51749849
kek

I just wish the Sorc had unique mechanics that weren't "pick a good spell and twin it"
>>
File: 1375041454932.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1375041454932.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>51749657
>>
>>51749743
What needs "fixing" about it? It's not exactly the Ranger.
>>
>>51743547
I really like the lore master wizard. makes it feel like the spells I cast are truly my own. also I can target a creatures lowest save. and that is just with the starting feature. also, the range increase feature makes it so it is good to have a wizard tower. all in all, pretty fun wizard.
>>
>>51746301
>Paladins are not at all good.
Yeah, Polearm Master Paladins are so weak that my DM won't even allow them to be played.

Divine Smite can be the stupidest thing in the game with good rolls, particularly when a high level enemy is resisting elemental magic.
>>
>>51749971
They just feel like "Wizard lite" is all.

No unique spells
90% of their spells are also available to wizards (all but 8 last I checked)
Infinitely less spells known than a wizard
No ritual casting
etc.

All the base class really gets is Metamagic, and it desperately needs revised. You're an idiot not to pick some options (Twin, Quicken, etc) and a fool to pick others (Subtle, Distant).

Some of the subclasses are alright, but almost all of their abilities are "you can do some feature that already exists elsewhere in the book, once per short/long rest" whereas Wizards get cool little abilities they can hang their hat on and say it's what makes them unique, like Illusionists illusions and Transmuter's stones.
>>
>>51750132
>90% of their spells are also available to wizards (all but 8 last I checked)
Check again, it's 100%
>>
>>51750132
My fix is you can swap metamagic on a short or long rest. That means that you can go from using subtle metamagic in a stealth/social encounter to using twinned in a combat one.
>>
>>51750149
Enhance Ability quickly comes to mind
>>
>>51750149
I counted 8:
Enhance Ability, Warding Wind, Daylight, Water Walk, Dominate Beast, Insect Plague, Firestorm, Earthquake
>>
>>51750173
>>51750174
Ah, sorry, I was thinking of class exclusive rather than not being shared with wizards.
>>
>>51748356
I don't need mechanical features for being raised on farm. Backgrounds should have been all fluff. I understand a need for extra skills/tools but fuck man, I don't wana play in a party with 4 frigging outlanders again...
>>
File: sorcs.jpg (23KB, 464x164px) Image search: [Google]
sorcs.jpg
23KB, 464x164px
>>51750199
S'cool

>>51750164
>not just going all the way
I implemented this before Loremaster showed up. Now Loremaster's spell changing class abilities are given to all Sorcerers at level 1

The one Sorcerer in our party absolutely loves all of the changes and improved versatility. Finally feels like Sorcerers get to do something cool for once.
>>
>>51748390
All that has already been part of character creation. Background lore is present for creatively bankrupt individuals that need rules for their experience in turning tricks.
>>
>>51748390
Isn't it the opposite? Why think about my background when I can literally roll for it?
>>
>>51750229
But if you were trying to be optimal or whatever, then you wouldn't all choose the same background because only one of you is probably going to need what it gives.
>>
>>51750272
>Optimizing backgrounds
Is this not a red flag for anybody else?
>>
>>51750232
Would WotC scrap Loremaster and disseminate its features if enough people complained in the survey?
>>
>>51750332
Eh, the way I see it, backgrounds are there to give some minor mechanical differences between characters that are unrelated to class or race. It means you could have a party of dwarf fighters and still have some mechanical differences. Makes people less defined mechanically by class and race, which is a good thing in my opinion. If people want to try and get the most out of it be my guest, its not all that much, but as a DM I would rather someone has a an extra skill and tool proficiency and be able to give me more than "I'm an elf wizard with x alignment", and as for the people who actually put effort in to thinking up a character, they get rewarded too. Some people put more effort in to their PCs than others, its not like it forces people to write a backstory they don't want to and its not like it forces people who do put in effort to do anything differently, it just means that those things have actual mechanical influence on the character.
>>
>>51750232
In my experience players need time to adjust to new features, so I'd probably only give them those abilities one at a time. Say, 1 metamagic at 3rd and beyond, and spell secrets at 2nd level. Also, fuck 1 mile disintegrates. That shit should be 500 feet max. If you're dealing with that kind of range, you're likely in theater of the mind anyway, so there's not worrying about battlemats.
>>
>>51750356
How would they retroactively remove content? It's not like an online game where you just patch it out

>>51750390
My players catch on like they were born for this game so I don't need to bother coddling them.
>>
File: Abandoned Hut.jpg (149KB, 736x714px) Image search: [Google]
Abandoned Hut.jpg
149KB, 736x714px
>>51749237

At least someone has good tastes. Have a map.
>>
>>51750232
I still don't fucking get how spell points work.
>>
File: stronghold-merchants-25.png (5MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
stronghold-merchants-25.png
5MB, 1736x2456px
Walrock here with a preview of what I'm working on.

This all make sense? How would you formulate it to make it better?
>>
>>51750428
That's sad anon.

Instead of Spell Slots, you get a pool of points.

Casted spell level = indicated point cost

So a level 5 wizard would have 27 spell points in total. He'd spend 3 to cast a 2nd level spell
>>
Sup, /5eg/.

I'm building some custom class stuff, and I'm wondering how broken would an effect that reduces AC on a target be?

I can't think of anything that does this outright (I'm not the kind of person who can remember everything at once, though), and stuff that effectively reduces AC (advantage on attack, bonuses) are kind of all over the place power wise (+3 magic weapon is very rare; advantage which is functionally +5 is incredibly common and easy to get from basic class features). On the inverse, though, improving AC is incredibly difficult and rare, with few things giving outright bonuses and those that do are hard to find (+3 armor is legendary).

If someone could help me find something in RAW that can point me in the right direction, or number craft something out with me, I'd appreciate it.

The effect I'm thinking of is an on hit action that would reduce the AC of a target by 2 for a certain amount of time. I'm also planning it as a component of or an entire class feature that is level gated at a minimum of 15.

Thanks for any help. I swear to god, if this is already some RAW Fighter maneuver I'm going to rip my PHB in half.
>>
>>51750460
Not him, is that because cantrips count as a level?
>>
>>51750428
You have a number of spell points determined by your level, you create a slot to cast them with when you cast a spell, higher spell=more points cost. It lets you get more use out of spell slots you don't necessarily want to use at the time. For example, at level 3 you have enough spell points to cast 4 level two spells, but that leaves you with only enough points to cast 1 level 1 spell. It doesn't let you make extra slots over 6th, so its no more powerful in that regard, but you are much more flexible in the 1-5 range. I'm going to use it for sorcerers next campaign I run.
>>
>>51750477
5e tends to avoid arbitrary floating modifiers like temporarily giving a creature reduced AC. Instead, it would probably be something like giving advantage or double proficiency on an attack. Nothing stopping you from doing it, but I don't think you'll find an example of it in the core game.
>>
>>51750484
I know the errata technically counts cantrips as something for the Evocation Wizard's Overchannel but the variant spell point rule specifically says

"Cantrips don't require slots and therefore don't require spell points"
>>
>>51750507
Ah, thanks. Sorcerers should really get spell points as a default part of their class chassis.
>>
>>51750232
All of my yes to you. I don't currently have a sorcerer player, but if I did I would do the same.

>>51750356
I can only hope. But I will certainly suggest they give those Loremaster features to the base Sorcerer class.
>>
>>51748253
>>51748282
>>51748283
>>51748330
>>51748347
Well, I guess I'm picking up a few phrases of Welsh and the like, then.

My character also knows Dwarvish, because they're a well-rounded wizard. What would that sound like, aside from the obvious German or "Nordic" languages? I need to know stuff like this because when my character gets angry, they break all their submissive gentleness and start swearing in the language.
>>
>>51750542
Makes up for their shitty shared list with EXTREME FLEXIBILITY

>>51750532
They really should. I've been offering spell points for Sorcerers since I got my DMG. Giving them Loremaster's spell fuckery has only made them more popular amongst my group.
>>
>>51750421
Anon, I know your thing is maps and all, but would you have perhaps some cool art for a magic (hand) mirror? Without a fucking face in it I can't find a single cool image without a face in it
>>
>>51750454
The only thing I would change is the wording regarding how many enchantments there can be on an item. Something like, "An item can have a maximum of one enchantment from each of the three enchantment categories, and no more than three enchantments at any time." Or something. The way you have it written could potentially confuse someone into thinking they have to have a minor, a major, and a legendary enchantment or none at all.

>>51750504
Thanks. That's the problem I keep running into. Every time I try to design this thing, it just feels wrong considering the rest of the system to add a modifier.
>>
File: chrisevanslaughing.gif (3MB, 480x369px) Image search: [Google]
chrisevanslaughing.gif
3MB, 480x369px
>>51750571
>mfw he posts a mirror with a map in it
>>
File: Diego Gisbert Llorens.jpg (152KB, 755x1057px) Image search: [Google]
Diego Gisbert Llorens.jpg
152KB, 755x1057px
>>51750593

Good wording. I definitely had a problem with how to formulate that one.
>>
>>51750570
And it also helps to differentiate the sorcerer from the wizard.
Also, nice.

Here's hoping enough people cause Wizards to strip out the features of the lore wizard and slap it in a sorcerer archetype.

They seem to want to hear feedback and could act on that feedback if enough people voice it.
>>
>>51750454
Not the kind of thing I'd have in my current campaign, but a must have if I ever run Eberron.
>>
>>51750674
I've no time to do the survey any time soon but feel free to pass anything I shat out along to them if you're doing the survey yourself
>>
>>51743611
Commoner
>>
File: 16_vmeignaud_demystify.jpg (306KB, 1000x717px) Image search: [Google]
16_vmeignaud_demystify.jpg
306KB, 1000x717px
>>51750677
Yeah, I feel you. The Enchantment Merchant is one of the legendary merchants in the new option I'm making, which means it's about the rarest of the rare.

If your players EVER see a legendary merchant, it's an amazing occurrence worthy of freaking out and splurging a little bit.
>>
>>51750694
Excellent, could do that, I'll save it in a word doc for you.
>>
Do Warlocks get Haste or Misty Step?
>>
>>51750787
Misty step yes, haste no.

https://thegrimoire.xyz/
>>
File: 1425678442422.png (38KB, 151x159px) Image search: [Google]
1425678442422.png
38KB, 151x159px
>>51750759
Make sure you add

"The Sorcerer's original niche was being more flexible with its spellcasting due to its ability to circumvent spell preparation. Now that every class is able to spontaneously cast to a degree, the Sorcerer's abilities are being overshadowed, instead being pushed towards a "gish" role with varying degrees of success. Giving a Sorcerers more metamagic and the Loremaster abilities gives them a bit of the flexibility they once had and prevents their abilities from being overshadowed by the obviously more love child, the Wizard."

WIZARDS of the Coasts has a real WIZARD bias and they're all faggots for the blatant favoritism. At least be subtle about it
>>
>>51750595
That would be awesome.
>>
I'm looking at adapting Cragmaw Cavern from LMoP for a level 3 party I've got at the moment. I suck ass at dungeon design, so I like to steal where I can.
In terms of the actual dungeon itself, I don't see the need to change anything, just need to change the inhabitants. Thinking of making it orcs instead of goblins, with an Eye of Gruumsh in place of the bugbear. Might chuck an ogre in somewhere, or a worg or two.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to go about a low-leveled, Orc-themed dungeon?
>>
>>51750853
Use some of the orcs from VGtM.
>>
>>51750817
Lol, can do.

Wizards have definitely curbed it down with their blatant favoritism for wizards, martial classes have been good and continue to be good since 4e but holy shit does the wizard get some nice toys.

D&D doesn't have to be a perfectly balanced game, in fact it'd suffer if everything was perfectly balanced but have the others get treats as often and as many please.
>>
>>51750413
It's Unearthed Arcana, they remove it by saying "Oh yeah here's a new version, use this instead" or simply saying "We don't recommend that one, we probably won't carry it forward."
>>
>>51750891
You do have a point

>>51750872
What we need is the re-implementation of martial die from the playtests
>>
>>51750413
>>51750891
Apparently they wrote somewhere they'd continue to make UA empowered by feedback is from us, ie they'd put out content more aligned with what we're wanting. Can't remember where though but it's promising.
>>
Don't warlicks have any other AC increasing spells besides Mage Armor?
>>
File: 1417953579649.png (140KB, 275x226px) Image search: [Google]
1417953579649.png
140KB, 275x226px
>>51748270
I have to comment on how much I hate backgrounds too. As a community tool it's a good thing since it gets people to get SOME personality over none, but holy shit I've played with people for years that probably don't know that making your own background isn't some kind of homebrew DM fiat thing.

Yeah, it's me calling out badwrongfun. but I swear the most boring characters come from people rolling the same 6 options for outlander over and over. I'd rather they copy some videogame character instead.
>>
>>51750955
Because after Mage Armor, they don't really need them.
>>
>>51750956
That's not the fault of the backgrounds though, that's people being unimaginative and retarded.
>>
File: Mirror.jpg (363KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
Mirror.jpg
363KB, 750x450px
>>51750571

We talking something like this?
>>
>>51750955
Warlocks don't really get Mage Armor, unless through one of their invocations.
>>
>>51751005
Yeah, I saw and loved that one, but the hands don't really make sense with what this mirror does. I might try and get someone to photoshop that mirror's reflection into something else... Even completely black would already be pretty good.
>>
>>51751005
Now make it a jump scare.
>>
>>51751010
>Any Warlock who DOESN'T take the invocation for at-will Mage Armor
Literal retard of a Warlock.
>>
So I only have 3 confirmed players for a game that will be starting soon: A Gnome Rogue, a Half-Elf Bard and a Tiefling Warlock.

I'll probably have to be careful with the enemies they fight since they lack a frontliner, but any suggestions for making it so they don't get ripped to shreds early on?
>>
>>51750901
>martial die
What were these? I didn't try the playtest at all unfortunately.
>>
>>51751102

If they're starting at 1st level, not really. Even the couple goblins in the first encounter of Mines of Phandelver can wipe a couple players.
>>
File: Gith.jpg (65KB, 557x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Gith.jpg
65KB, 557x1000px
>>51750571

I also like potential character art.
>>
>>51751122
Alright. They're all new, so I might have to just fudge numbers in their favor a bit while rolling behind the screen.
>>
>>51751165
Maybe give them a guest character Champion to frontline for them while they learn the rules? Champions are simple enough (literally fighter without any real features) and you can let them control him/her for combat. Put him a level or two above the party as an early-game crutch and then take him away once they start getting subclass features.
>>
>>51751150
Would you have one for a female aasimar devotion paladin of Torm? Black-haired, not blonde.
>>
File: absolutelydisgusting.png (81KB, 204x200px) Image search: [Google]
absolutelydisgusting.png
81KB, 204x200px
>people being upset about background personality tables
literally how wrong can you be
>>
>>51751165

If they're clever people, I'd just allow them to play smart. A well thought out battle plan in those early levels not only helps them survive but definitely build their interest in playing. First couple levels are rough and that might make it bearable and survivable.
>>
File: 1435961182478.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1435961182478.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51751107
Essentially die one could spend to perform maneuver sor supernatural feats. Only martial classes had access to them

Someone revised them and updated in this pdf if you want an idea of how they worked
>>
>>51751185
>accustom your NEW and INEXPERIENCED players to having a "tank"
>suddenly take it away from them
>expect nothing to go wrong
It's like you're asking them to walk into a TPK. If you're gonna give them the DMPC in the first place you might as well let them keep it the whole damn game unless they don't want to. Alternatively, you can encourage them to take approaches beyond just "kick down the door and kill the monsters". Get them to think a little bit.
>>
>>51751107
A few of the earlier playtests (December 2012, January 2013) gave characters a pool of d6s that refreshed each turn that were added to damage or spent to do specific maneuvers. They were capped at 6 and buffed with a static "martial damage bonus" on weapon attacks that scaled in amounts of 5 (5-10-15-20).

There was a similar system for "expertise dice" in the August, October, and November 2012 playtests before that, with much slower scaling.

The tradeoff was that extra attack wasn't a thing at all (all martials were all-or-nothing like rogues are now) and combat for martials was much more complex. The 5e equivalent is being able to replace an attack with a grapple, shove, or disarm, a system that can easily be expanded on if you want to give martials more abilities in combat, without a design overhaul.

>>51751222
They were much more mundane than that. They were stuff like charging, bullrushing, sweeping attack, etc. They also covered the monk's deflect missile and flurry of blows.
>>
>>51751239
Correct, they were, but it's an interesting update to a scrapped system. Would be cool to see it in action
>>
>>51751239
>The 5e equivalent is being able to replace an attack with a grapple, shove, or disarm, a system that can easily be expanded on if you want to give martials more abilities in combat, without a design overhaul.

This is what I do. Anybody can attempt these kinds of maneuvers and if they do, they just use the rules for it.

The biggest advantage of Expertise Dice in this instance isn't that they're required allow you to trip someone. It's that even if you fail, you still get to do damage because you're just that good.
>>
File: Winged Warrior.jpg (544KB, 1231x900px) Image search: [Google]
Winged Warrior.jpg
544KB, 1231x900px
>>51751204

Aasimar are hard to find. Or at least anything other than blonde. I think this is the best I got that could pull off a female aasimar.
>>
Sorcerer class Spell Secrets at 5th level and Alchemical Casting at 9th

Y/N?
You could also split Spell Secrets into two Metamagic options
>>
>>51751210
They're smart people, so I hope they figure out ways to deal with things besides murder and mayhem.
>>
>>51751222
>>51751239
Interesting. I like the more toned-down versions with combat options rather than, say, flying or turning invisible, since those are mostly magical utility spells.

I've always been bothered by how unbelievably good wizards are at everything compared to martials and this is a neat step in the right direction. I still kind of wish more out-of-combat utility existed for them, though.

>>51751301
I think adding more metamagic options is probably a better idea than just giving it to the class. As an aside, does anyone else feel Sorcerer doesn't get enough metamagic options? I feel like they should be able to change those per long rest or something, because if you pick two that aren't useful in the campaign you're in you're kind of SOL for a while until you get more.
>>
>>51751282
Love the picture, but
>half-angel paladin wearing a black pantyhose
I mean, it's not like that stuff on her thighs are tattoos or birth-marks, right?
>>
>>51751102
Let the Warlock be a Hexblade and if the Bard goes Valour then they should be tough enough
>>
>>51751334
Hexblade? Is that a new Unearthed Arcana?

I wasn't sure about presenting them to new players...
>>
File: Dark Haired Warrior.jpg (135KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Haired Warrior.jpg
135KB, 751x1063px
>>51751328

Yeah, that's the only part I didn't care for either.
>>
>>51750967
not even haste or shield?
>>
>>51751353
Yeah, latest UA. Turns the Warlock intro a more true gish

Otherwise, you might want to suggest one of them try being a Paladin
>>
>>51750955

I believe Hexblade gets access to Shield.
>>
>>51751301

I like the spell secrets thing.

I always felt like Sorcerers should be the class that gets to cast the spells from any list, not Bards. It's how I ran things in 3e.

Sorcerers are born of magic and don't draw on another source, so arcane/divine bullshit shouldn't apply to them just like it doesn't apply to dragons or fiends or celestials or genies or any other innately magical creatures. They should be able to toss out Cure Wounds and Fireball and Nature's Ally if that fits their nature.
>>
>>51751378
We'll see how it goes when we finally meet to play.

Last I heard, two of them were trying to recruit their roommates, while the Warlock is my girlfriend, so I might be able to get her to try out Hexblade and not be too confused.
>>
i want to dm a oneshot adventure for 3 players for my birthday but i haven't been the dm in years, advice?
>>
File: fey.jpg (84KB, 736x889px) Image search: [Google]
fey.jpg
84KB, 736x889px
man... can't wait to play that Moon Bow + Thirsting Blade
>>
>>51751328
They look like an enochian/celestial tattoo to me, not pantyhose or mesh
>>
File: Armored Paladin.jpg (210KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Armored Paladin.jpg
210KB, 800x1200px
>>51751204

Not a black haired lass, but I like this one too much not to share.
>>
>>51751450
Are you expecting to fight lots of lycanthropes?
>>51751381
Which I doubt anyone would ever get. Uses one of their 2 (max 3 at 11th level) spell slots, especially as they can get 19 AC just using med armour and shield
>>
>>51751486
no but you aren't penalized for not. That ranged smite is sweet too.
>>
>>51751521
>>51751521
>>51751521
>>
>>51747422
IT MEANS FUCK YOU DOWN THE THROAT WITH POINTY MACE YOU FAGGOT
BECAUSE NO AMOUNT OF STIPULATIONS WILL STOP SPERGS ARGUING ABOUT ALIGMENTS
>>
>>51750543
try mongolian
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.