[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 367
Thread images: 37

File: 1474451112391.jpg (110KB, 908x879px) Image search: [Google]
1474451112391.jpg
110KB, 908x879px
> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
>>51735450

Next Unearthed Arcana will be probably on the subject of Mystics or Sohei, or probably both. Expectations?
>>
>>51739425
>>51739447
>>51738936
Pretty much the same as in 3.x then.
Noted.
>>51739018
I understand that perspective but don't share it. You don't need to have every aspect of backstreet worked out in advance, just personality + group ties + major goals. Half a page, tops.
Anything else can be filled in during the campaign as necessary
>>
>>51739425
Something something anime.
>>
>>51739425
What's a sohei?
Anxiously waiting for the mystic though, killing people with mind powers has always been a favorite of mine.
>>
>>51739486
Sohei is, apparently, the fix for elemental monk, just like beast conclave is the fix to beastmaster, and hexblade is "fix" to bladelock.
I don't know much else.
>>
>>51739425
It will be nice to have another class focused on Int.

I also liked Mystic Take2, because i like things like Warlock Invocations and i saw Psychic Disciplines as a parallel feature to those.
Basically the more options to customize a class, the more I like it.

It is why i think there should be more Sorcerer Metamagic options, more Invocations, more Elemental Disciplines, more Maneuvers.

Admittedly I've always wanted to play a Hobgoblin who was cooked up in a lab by goblin Scientists and is basically Mewtwo.
>We created our "Frankenstein's Monster" Goblin from the remains of the First Goblin! The Proto Goblin!
>>
Help

My GM has a massive hardon for Goblins of all things. Next campaign he told us will start out with us being trapped in a "Goblin country" sort of thing, and having to go through small towns, cities, and finally a stronghold of the buggers.

Since I except a lot of little shits that can just disregard AoO as they please, can anybody help me with a class/build that can fuck that strategy over? I don't want to deal with that kind of bullshit for the entire campaign.

He is of the "Fuck the rulebook" school, so the stats of the goblins WILL go up by a lot, but I suspect the ability to "scamper" will stick around, hence my question.
>>
>>51739425

Idk, prolly some like BM meets open hand and druid meets way of shadow kinda bullshit.

Sohei will be your combat-centric archetype, mystic will be your utility/RP-centric archetype
>>
What's the deal with the Hexblade?
Do you get a sentient magic weapon out of it?
I don't see it in the descr
>>
>>51739517
Sentinel fucks over disengage. That's all it takes.
>>
>>51739517
Spirit guardians. Deal massive damage to hordes of enemies. They can run, but they won't run far.
>>
would multiclassing with a Seeker warlock (3lvl dip) and a Monk be doable? or is it the warlock thingy more feasible with feats or something?
>>
>>51739500
>and hexblade is "fix" to bladelock.
Hexblade is a devotion, not a pact.

Literally two different things.

Especially when they created really cool Old One Bladepact traits, or that Archfey Bow weapon for Bladepact.

I think they should stop themselves sometimes, and just straight up release a suggested rework on some of the existing options. Hexblade looks awesome, but it should have been a part of the Blade Pact to begin with.
>>
File: 1473660626186.gif (879KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1473660626186.gif
879KB, 500x400px
>>51739517

Get the Great Weapon Master feat if you wanna go melee.

Or Wizard if you just really wanna stack that kill count.
>>
>>51739548
> Anon contradicts himself in the same post
>>
>>51739531
Wait, really?

Huh. Well then, I'll be grabbing myself Sentinel then.

That seems a bit on the strong side, doesn't it? Just straight up invalidating the disengage action?
>>
>>51739547
Everything is doable.

What are you trying to achieve from taking both classes, might beable to figure out a way to help you achieve said goals.
>>
>>51739557
>> Anon contradicts himself in the same post
How so?
>>
>>51739573
It's a feat, and Shocking Grasp, Arms of Hadar, and Open Hand Technique can still get around it since you need a reaction to use Sentinel to stop movement.
>>
File: IMG_4480.png (107KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4480.png
107KB, 750x1334px
The final results of the straw poll. With 157 participants the majority of players in /5eg/ came from 3.5/PF, followed by players brand new to the game, followed by 1st-2nd Edition players.

If you want to contribute still go ahead, but this is the last posting of it.

https://strawpoll.com/87rg72f
>>
>>51739547

Seeker is basically a Mobility warlock.

What is it about the Monk that you don't think is mobile enough?
>>
I'm looking into making a Swashbuckler/Artificer, however they don't need to be the actual Artificer class, Wizard Artificer or other appropriately flavored things could work too.

What's the "best" level dip for Artificer/Wizard Artificer? Is there any other options for it that would fit?

Character is going to be a sky pirate who's either got their own airship or are still working on one, depending on what level they start the game at.
>>
>>51739573
>>51739593
You can also get around it with anything that lets you avoid AoOs without using disengage, such as the Mobility feat or Swashbuckler's Fancy Footwork feature.
>>
Hey megaanon, any chance we can get Mystic added to the classes list?
>>
>>51739705

That's like saying you want to make a Star Fleet Captain by taking a Kirk / Scottie multiclass

It's missing the point
>>
>>51739721
> Let's add a raw, unfinished, 10 level long class to 5etools, despite new, finished mystic releasing in less then a week
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51739737
I don't mean a giant sky-dreadnought or anything, just a small ship that's big enough for the party and maybe one or two NPCs.
>>
>>51739721

Personally, I rather he didn't.
>>
>>51739754
>implying Mystic v3 is actually going to be released
>>
>>51739757
You're missing the point.
>>
>>51739765
> Implying it won't be
>>
>>51739757

Okay, but the point still is, it is not the captain's job to handle that stuff.

In Serenity, a tiny tub, there's still captain Mal, and the mechanist Kaylee.
The Rocinante has Miller and Amos.

They're better for being seperate
>>
What Spells from the Cleric List should a Favored Soul take?

Specifically the Character in question is a Pal2/Sorc8 going for a melee build, so I don't wanna focus on blasting that much, about three Damage spells at max. So 9 Spells of max. 5th level.

Right now I intend to grab Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Fly, and Counterspell, maybe Shield.

For area-Damage I'm torn between Fireball and Flame Strike.

For everything else I'm rather undecided.
>>
>>51739790
Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians are staples for melee clerics.
>>
>>51739790
> Melee cleric
> Takes spells that have nothing to do with melee
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51739530
No, your patron is a sentient magic weapon, but you just have powers themed around magic weapons.
>>
>>51739582
>>51739633
I just like it thematically and the warlock bonuses are pretty sweet, the ability to cast augury so on. Our group is not minmaxing about who can ditch-out most damage
>>
>>51739790

So up to level 4 then?

Guidance, Healing Word, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Guardians, Inflict Wounds if you aim to be at close range, Revivify, and Banishment
>>
>>51739530
No. And if you go Pact of the Blade, if you do find your patron, you CANNOT use it as a Pact Blade.
>>
>>51739829
As a melee cleric I do not recommend inflict wounds. 3d10 is great early on but if you are hitting hard you could put damage that.
>>
>>51739820

Well, I don't know those two classes by head, but since both the monk and the seeker are highly, *highly* mobile, especially with the new UA invocation that just came out, I'd reccomend building your monk in a way that doesn't overlap with too much redundancy with the warlock

Also, hope the DM is generous with short rests.
>>
>>51739845

Assuming you're laying War Caster down, inflict wounds is a superior choice to a cantrip for a very long time. Then you can just swap it out for another spell at a level up
>>
Full team of favored souls, stone sorcs and hexblades when?
>>
>>51739402
Yeah, its weird that the duration of most conjure spells seems to be designed specifically to exclude a one man binding circus. It would be a real problem if bards and druids couldn't also do so, since those should also be part of every party.
>>
>>51739843
To be fair, Blackrazor is an example of a sentient weapon. Your DM could come up with another sentient weapon that you could use as your patron at one point.
>>
>>51739766
>>51739784
>>51739737
Setzer Gabbiani

Sometimes you don't need a proper captain, just an engineer who doesn't share his toys.
>>
>>51739956
We were all in our skype chat, when the arcana released. I was reading Hexblade, when I groaned in pain.
> "Well, fucking hell, I know exactly which weapon will be granting this pact."

Fucking Leveler. There's nothing I hate more.
>>
>>51739705
New lore wizard+alchemist artificer.

Use "Catapult" from elemental evil to bombard enemies with vials that deal extra damage.
>>
>>51739843
>you CANNOT use it as a Pact Blade.

If I'm DMing I'd probably discount it for your Patron if you're Hexblade. Be stupid otherwise.
>>
File: Tesshu_woh.jpg (13KB, 352x456px) Image search: [Google]
Tesshu_woh.jpg
13KB, 352x456px
I kinda want to make an Assassin who's built to get Assassinate as often as possible.

What's the best way to do that?

As of now I'm thinking something with Charm Person seems most likely to work, since I'd assume it counts as "surprised" to get shanked by your "friend", so a Warlock dip for Charm Person seems likely and would even let you pump out extra damage with Hexblade's Smites.

Also looking for good characters to rip off, as of now I'm thinking a Tesshu expy might be neat (Doctor who uses acupuncture and pressure points to assassinate people with needles)
>>
>>51739978
Story time?
>>
>>51739956

That's the thing -- the Pact of the Blade specifically excludes ALL artifacts and ALL intelligent weapons, no fun is allowed.
>>
>>51740004
The Leveler is an evil magic sword and a Frostmourn ripoff that my DM has in his setting. It's created to kill gods both in and out of character, and it's overpowered as balls. The moment you touch the Leveler, it steals your soul, which changes your class to "the Leveler", which is also overpowered as balls.

Here are it's stats.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gUjGyBIC6GPzAGwp7VNevJzGEDRGIiYh9yscGTlbJMQ
>>
>>51739893
Stone sorcerer/Hexblade is already a viable multiclass.

>Cha based weapon attacks
>Con based AC and able to use shields
>>
>>51740005
Ah, right you are, didn't notice that little tidbit that turns into a big deal. If anything work with your DM, see if you can't make your Patron a one handed weapon, then use two weapons until you finally get it. Or have a two hander until you can finally wield two weapons.

I honestly have no idea here, I'm just spitballing.
>>
>>51739994
Nice. Yeah, otherwise it would be truly awful.

Well, its not terribly unworkable to have a non pact blade using hex blader, especially as it makes a great dip, but it is an oddball setup all around.
>>
>>51740023
You weren't kidding, this is pretty terrible.
>>
>>51739820
I don't think you have to min-max, but being Functional is important imo.

The issue is stats. You essentially want 4 stats to be decent.

Dex, Con, Wis, Cha.

The thing with Seeker is, if you really focus on Seeker stuff, there isn't a huge push for high Charisma as all but 1 seeker feature do not make use of it, and i believe all the spells on the seeker spell-list do not take into account Spell mod or Spell DC

So Cha might be less important depending on how you play.

While Con is important for everyone, i feel like Dex and Wis are more important for a Monk because you want to hit and they contribute to the save DCs of your combat effects.
Seems like you care more about roleplaying a specific idea than actual combat stuff.

It is tricky to multiclass in such a way and remain functional on all the aspects your class features provide.

Are you just planning to take all your spells from the Seeker spell list? Cause at third level, you'll know 4 spells, and you'd have access to 4 Seeker spells at that time.

Realistically, you only need to be concerned with cantrips in regards to Cha. But then you could legit take Green Flame blade and hit someone with a staff, shoot some kind of flame out, though i dont think you'd beable to use Flurry of Blows RAW with that. But i guess it gives you options, and more options are fun.
Or you could take non-damaging cantrips like True Strike and Minor Illusion

RAW you need atleast 13 in Cha, Dex, and Wis to multiclass this.
Point Buy or Rolling Stats?
Depending on Race you might just want to aim for a 14 in those 4 stats. Which is doable imo.
You could take this stat loadout 14, 14, 13, 12, 10, 10 and have +2s to the 4 stats with racials.

Just want you to get the most of your concept.
>>
File: Trampled Town.jpg (496KB, 1600x1283px) Image search: [Google]
Trampled Town.jpg
496KB, 1600x1283px
>>
How would /5eg/ handle an arena fight moment, where each of the players is selected in random order to battle another foe, 1 v 1. I fear it might just be boring and devolve into the participants just hitting each other until one falls over.
>>
>>51740167
How are these made? Layering photos in PS? Or is it some kind of 3d model that is just rendered from the top down?
>>
>>51739500
>Sohei is, apparently, the fix for elemental monk
Last I heard, Sohei will be a fighter archetype, so it likely has nothing to do with four elements monks.
>>
Can mapanon upload his maps?
>>
How easy is it to find bracers of defense?
>>
File: 1487099761073.png (96KB, 906x706px) Image search: [Google]
1487099761073.png
96KB, 906x706px
Sonic Tabaxi
>>
Anons? Simple query: I know the DMG has rules for Blackrazor, Wave and Whelm, but do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor to 5e too?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor
>>
>>51740182
Layering. Some assets are created using 3d models but that is then flattened to become a 2d asset.
>>
>>51740170
Make the arena interesting, or add in win conditions
>>
Has anyone got a model on how to turn Loremaster into a Sorcerer archetype yet?

I know some anons were going to do it, but I didn't see the end.
>>
>>51740165
Continued

Additionally for one of your 2 invocation you could take Armour of Shadows and always have Mage Armour on.
I assume the other would be the UA Seeker invocation.

13+dex and ignore wis a bit more.

Focus on Con and Dex

14, 14, 13, 13, 10, 9

Where the 14s are Con and Dex.
Unless your DM doesnt care about RAW multiclassing.

Then i'd say go with 15, 14, 12, 12, 10, 9
With Con and Dex being the 15 and 14, depending on racials.
In anycase you'd have +3 con and +3 dex and with Mage Armour thats a 16 AC, which is pretty decent.
If your Tribal Frog man is any indication, he probably wouldnt be wearing armour anyways.

I don't know why WOTC chose 13 to be the stat for Multiclassing. I don't see much of a difference between a 12 or 13, since both are a +1, i guess they did enough testing with point buy and such and decided a 13 was best balanced.

Also i would call myself a Guru or Shaman not a Warlock+Monk. But i do that all the time with multiclassing for theming.

I really like your character concept, just from a mechanical and conceptual standpoint. I may steal this and play it myself.
>>
Which gish has the most consistent damage throughout the day?
>>
>>51740214
The default setup is that you should never count on finding any magic item in particular. If you are of average luck, there will be *a* magic weapon, possibly just a +1 trident or whatever, at *some* point in the campaign.
But yeah, your average party won't ever see a Bracers of Defense. Magic items are by far the rarest in 5e of any edition by default.
>>
>>51739955
Your DM would probably let you cast a high level magic circle, summon an elemental inside, then immediately start trying planar binding on it, but you have to make sure your magic circle is really secure and Conjure Elemental really should end when you can finish casting Planar Binding (lasts an hour, takes an hour to cast) so if you fail it poofs then anyway.
>>
>>51740308
Eldritch Knight. Cast GFB every turn you're not renewing a cheap concentration spell.
>>
>>51740233
Blackrazor went from a sword with a witheringly powerful offense and buffs to a sword that has just an okay (normal +3) plus sweet buffs once you kill (advantage on everything is real nice).

Frostrazor was mechanically very similar, except it had a vastly weaker offense and a much slower and weaker draining effect. Personally, I'd have it break off a piece on a crit, and while the shard is inside them it does a weak amount of damage (1 or 3 hp a round perhaps), and you have that time to kill them, at which point you might get Blackrazor's benefit. It would trigger far, far less frequently than Blackrazor, but it would have one benefit: someone else could finish off the victim and you'd get the bonus.
>>
>>51740320

Ah, good catch...

>Typically. the creature is first summoned into the center of an inverted magic circle in order to keep it trapped while this spell is cast

That does suggest Magic Circle sort of prolongs a conjured critter's stay even though I wouldn't think a spell ending is a form of movement.
>>
>>51738767
So, how do you fluff this out?

Like, what sort of a person would a character have to be in order to be a bugbear that's a stealthy assassin, a warrior of any denomination, a mysterious warlock that draws power from their pact with a sapient weapon, a skald that sings of the valour of old heroes and a paladin of any oath all at once?

I'm just wondering how you justify this sort of multiclass-soup in a normal game.
>>
>>51740386
Hmm... that might work. Honestly, what I was thinking of doing is that it's a +3 greatsword that does a certain amount of bonus Cold damage on a hit, and you choose to break off a shard in a victim you hit (3/short rest). An impaled victim takes, let's say 1d10 Necrotic damage per round for 10 rounds.

This, I figured, would cover the "life draining shards" aspect, but in a neater way than 3e's version, with your free Rays of Enfeeblement/Enervations/Fingers of Death, and in a far less messy way than 2e's version, with its ability to randomly leech health, Strength or levels for you.
>>
>>51740439
You need the magic circle because when you lose concentration on Conjure Elemental (which you will when you start casting Planar Binding) you lose control of the elemental and it becomes hostile for the rest of the spell's duration.
>>
>>51740309
Isnt this completely up to the gm?
>>
>>51740447
I don't think anyone actually really plays these. I've never heard of someone in 5e trying this. It's more of a mental exercise than anything.
>>
File: Bamboozle.png (9KB, 273x375px) Image search: [Google]
Bamboozle.png
9KB, 273x375px
>>51739425

A Charletan runs a "magic" shop where the items are all bogus. One example is a scroll that "stops time" (but only for itself)!

What is the name of his shop? What other items are there?
>>
>>51740448
Maybe. I'm just pointing out that Frostrazor was vastly offensively weaker than Blackrazor in AD&D, so it'd be very odd indeed for Frostrazor to suddenly have greater offensive output.

I mean, potentially 55 damage 3 times isn't completely terrible by 5e standards.
>>
File: car salesman.gif (15KB, 220x216px) Image search: [Google]
car salesman.gif
15KB, 220x216px
>>51740497
Honest John's artifact dealership
>>
>>51740495

By average, I mean the DMG's description of how much you're gonna find. The answer is: shockingly little, far less than any other edition.

That's not to say the DM should abide by the default, just that almost nothing is indeed the default.
>>
>>51740476
>When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so (see "Concentration" below)

Oh, you're right. Good catch.
>>
>>51740497
>The Grand Illusion
>All That Glisters

>A wand of magic missile that never misses (because it never shoots any)
>A love potion where the two people who drink it fall in love (servings: one)
>A wand of transmutation that turns gold into lead
>A sword for killing invisible, intangible, undetectable monsters
>>
>>51740447
>>51740496
A bugbear assassin-warrior-warlock-paladin of treachery is pretty much the default bugbear. The bard part is pretty weird, but the Temple of Elemental Evil has a bajillion bugbears in it, and almost all bugbears are, flavor wise, in the mindset of being a warrior assassin, most are in the mindset of being an oath of treachery paladin, and virtually any denizen of the Temple of Elemental Evil would fit as being an Oath of Treachery + Goolock or Fiendlock, whether their Oath and Pact are to Iuz, Zuggtmoy, the Elder Elemental Eye or one of the Five Princes of Elemental Evil.

Bugbears are my idea of the iconic ToEE monster, because if the PCs neglect the Temple for any length of time, it will explode in population with guards/cultists, but also gnolls, bugbears, etc.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Goolock or Fiendlock don't work, in which case the only stretch would be that it would not be with Iuz, Zuggtmoy, or one of the others, but with an evilly intelligent weapon. It could simply be with one of the Princes of the Apocalypse weapons, or a Blade of Chaos from 4e, etc. Just fluff it as a 4e Elemental Pact Warlock. Simple.

So I would say the only abnormal fluff bit is the bard.
>>
File: IMG_0535.jpg (60KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0535.jpg
60KB, 800x800px
In your experience, how overdone is "muh good/Neutral necromancer"?

I was considering making a Necromancer who's more of a Golem engineer that just happened to go into Necromancy because bones are cheap and efficient magic-conductive material, but I feel like "Totally not evul Necromancer engineer" is an overdone trope.

Any ideas for making it less cliche?
>>
>>51740620
>So I would say the only abnormal fluff bit is the bard.
But it is a valor bard, which is still pretty martially-themed. It would probably have to go to a Hobgoblin school to learn tactics like that though. A bugbear that was trained by hobgoblins isn't too crazy though.
>>
File: Good necromancers.jpg (154KB, 891x603px) Image search: [Google]
Good necromancers.jpg
154KB, 891x603px
>>51740641
It's shit.
>>
>>51740641
>In your experience, how overdone is "muh good/Neutral necromancer"?

I literally don't understand why people want necromancer PCs to be evil. Its not as if an evil PC is easier to keep on the rails, quite the opposite. If I want to make skellington archers, I have to... what, be evil? Okay, guess the campaign just became my magical realm.
>>
>>51740641
Just don't lean super hard into how not-evil it is. You're amoral, and some people aren't going to like what you do. That or your skeletons are fellow practitioners of your craft, who as a group agree to be bound to serve each other after death. No one really wants to have to do that, but that's all the more reason to keep yourself alive by putting your skeletons in harm's way rather than yourself.
>>
>>51740739
> why people want necromancer PCs
We don't.
>>
>>51740723
>ever consider making golems instead?

HOW

What DM or player ever sat down and said "Man, I wish the phenomenally powerful wizard in my party was a monstrously depraved, unpredictable sadist? That would sure enhance my play experience."
>>
>>51740641
>Lawful evil
(LE) creatures methodically take what they want, within the limits of a code of tradition, loyalty, or order. Devils, blue dragons, and hobgoblins are Lawful evil.

>Neutral evil
(NE) is the alignment of those who do whatever they can get away with, without compassion or qualms. Many drow, some cloud giants, and yugoloths are neutraI evil.

>Chaotic evil
(CE) creatures act with arbitrary violence, spurred by their greed, hatred, or bloodlust. Demons, red dragons, and orcs are chaotic evil.

Just cause you use the remains of dead things for your plans doesn't mean you are evil.

Just make sure you don't always "Take what you want" and "do whatever you can get away with" have compassion, don't be arbitrary with your violent acts, and don't be motivated solely by greed, hatred or bloodlust.

The best way to accomplish this would be to somehow have access to Speak with Dead.
Then you just ask every corpse if they can lend you their strength to defeat evil.
>>
>>51740753
Nobody asked. At all.
>>
File: 14182-20890-21297.jpg (5KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
14182-20890-21297.jpg
5KB, 250x187px
>>51740764
That's not how golems work, fool.
>>
>>51740025
Hexblade already gets shields and medium armor
>>
>>51740764
> Necromancer logic
>>
>>51740023
>Current soul count: 248321
This is the most disgusting thing about all of this to me. Even if you didn't regain them through killing enemies, it seems near impossible that you'd ever have to worry about conserving them at any point throughout a campaign.
>>
>>51740641
The only thing I am able to come up with is a PC that already started learning to be a wizard, when a loved one dies. The character is strucken with grief, and instead of learning to move on, delves deeper into necromantic powers to bring back their loved one.

Out of character this has the problem of resurrection/true resurrection not being on the spell list for Wizard, but that can be added no problem I believe.

Could make them a cleric, but I was trying to make a necromancer wizard who only raises the bad guys and this is what I got.
>>
>>51740798
>Out of character this has the problem of resurrection/true resurrection not being on the spell list for Wizard, but that can be added no problem I believe.

But the character doesn't know that.

And then it's a good reason to go Warlock later. And then get mad when you realise your soul is gone and you still don't have it in your spell list.
>>
>>51740798
>The character is strucken with grief, and instead of learning to move on, delves deeper into human transmutation necromantic powers to bring back their loved one.
The philosopher's stone can raise the dead, once you master it. Too bad they've been dead too long. You should have learned Gentle Repose first.
>>
>>51740819
Yup, I always thought of that as an option, the realization that her powers can only force the dead to come back in a shade of its former self.

>>51740856
Yeah that's why I aimed for resurrection and true resurrection, cause it was gonna be an elf with an elf partner, if they died 20 years ago, the PC has to either live another 600 years without their true love. Blah blah blah character building, the slow realization that they are never coming back and revisit to the grave site as a true goodbye.

I probably won't use that PC though cause it requires a serious campaign and a DM that can express that kind of emotion.
>>
>>51740774
Saying "Just because I'm using undead doesn't mean I'm evil" is like saying "Just because I'm setting things on fire doesn't mean I'm a serial arsonist." You're technically correct, but if you repeat the action over and over again your reasons for doing so become something of a moot point.
>>
>>51740188

Aren't there already like 20 Fighter archetypes? Do we really need more?
>>
>>51740913
>a DM that can express that kind of emotion

But all the NPCs involved are dead, so...
>>
File: 146307595.jpg (201KB, 594x427px) Image search: [Google]
146307595.jpg
201KB, 594x427px
>>51740774
I was actually considering Far Traveler, where in their homeland Necromancy isn't illegal, it's just heavily restricted by the government and/or it's more of a normal thing due to necessity.

Add some "muh honor" thing where they only raise corpses that they (or the party) killed, and only after cleaning the corpse to a skeleton and giving prayers to the original spirit in the body.

Make them either ambiguously Chinese and highly bureaucratic since they like their "Heaven is full of accountants" thing or maybe from an exceedingly harsh mountainous(Tibetan)/desert(Arab)/tundra(Mongolian) themed area where using corpses to their full potential is necessary just to survive.

Tibetan Necromancy could fit when you consider they've already got some death rituals that westerners would consider strange like Sky Burials. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial
>>
>>51740277
didn't expect to someone to go in depth on this but thanks man, solid points you bring up. Yeah conceptually it is good, still waiting for mystic though before I go make this character
>>
>>51740819
Wish can get you Resurrection. That'll work for up to a century. There's no need to sell your soul. Just keep studying.
>>
>>51739425
I think it is very telling that the 5e threads have to use 3.5 and PF art because 5e is so lackluster no one does art for it.
>>
>>51739588
>Hexblade looks awesome, but it should have been a part of the Blade Pact to begin with.
It makes a strictly worse path a viable option again. Therefore, it's a "fix".
>>
>>51740970
Still, the entire tone of the campaign revolves around the DMs descriptions and explanations. Some DMs like to fuck around and make jokes and that's fine for some campaigns but if I'm pulling that heavy shit that would not be a joking funny tone.
>>
>>51739622
What's the point of making "haven't played" an option? Instead, 1st and 2nd should have been separate. I want to know the exact grognard ratio.
>>
>>51740956
There are a lot of ways to engage in melee combat, mechanically speaking, and most of them happen to fall under the heading of "guy who is good at fighting" rather than "guy who gets mad whole fighting," "guy who fights dirty," or "guy who can fight but also channel sacred energies/nature powers."

Magic also has a lot of "design space" but most of tha unfortunately ends up in spells, not archetypes.
>>
>>51740988
Maybe, never really want to get that cause getting wish as like just an option to pick seems silly. It seems like a spell that should be found, not just picked up.
>>
>>51740956
Counting UA archetypes:
Barbarian has 6
Bard has 6
Cleric has 13
Druid has 5
Fighter has 11
Monk has 7
Paladin has 7
Ranger has 6
Rogue has 7
Sorcerer has 8 (9 if you count 2 different Favored Souls)
Warlock has 9
Wizard has 13

Fighter isn't the worst outlier.
>>
>>51741012
The blade pact is made viable if your GM just gives you a decent magic weapon. Oh, look, a +3 weapon of my choice. The smiting invocation is just a cherry on top, if you want to build towards something otherwise harder or suboptimal.
>>
>>51741012
>>51739588

Hexblade doesn't require Pact of the Blade and honestly you probably don't want it unless you are seriously committed to single class warlockness, since Pact of the Blade is totally fucked up.
>>
>>51741044
Among the Martial classes it certainly is, though.
>>
>>51741060
You could make a case for barbarian having a lot more because of the mixing and matching of all the totems between PHB and SCAG
>>
>>51740991
Compare how long 3e has been around vs 5e. What is it, 14 years vs 3 or something?
>>
File: Nighttime Tavern.jpg (149KB, 736x921px) Image search: [Google]
Nighttime Tavern.jpg
149KB, 736x921px
Taverns for everyone.
>>
>>51741025
Yeah tone mismatch can be real.

We once as a party rolled a bunch of "larger than life" characters with bombastic personalities (it was a gestalt campaign, so it seemed fitting) and the GM came back with an extremely dry low fantasy-ish world, where he put more effort into functioning ecosystems than the plot... Didn't last long.
>>
>>51741044
>Fighter has 11
Champion, EK, BM, PDK, Scout, Monster Hunter, AA, Knight, Samurai, Sharpshooter. What am I forgetting? Also, AA, Knight, Samurai, and Sharpshooter really aren't ready for play, and PDK sucks.
>>
>>51741044
>Counting UA archetypes:

>>51741074
Cavalier
>>
>>51741044
13 wizard what

I only know the core wizard schools and lore seeker
>>
>>51741064
Or even not mixing and matching the totems.
>Barbarians
Berserker, Totem(Wolf, Eagle, Bear, Elk, Tiger), Battle Rager, Ancestor, Zealot, Storm (Winter, Desert, Sea.) 12?
>>
>>51741093
Besides core, there's Bladesinger in SCAG, Theurgy in UA: The Faithful, Technomancer in UA: Modern Magic, and Artificer tradition in UA: Eberron
>>
>>51741088
>Cavalier
Thank you. So forgettable, and I think the Knight is going to replace it.

>>Counting UA archetypes:
Yeah, that's the big mistake here, I think. They won't all pass muster. They don't all pass muster.
>>
>>51740951
Lawful Good is defined as "good as defined by society" and Chaotic Good is defined as "good as defined by my conscience." So if the DM approves of a society where body donors and evil monsters have their corpses repurposed to guard the town, LG is fine; if the player approves of his PC's conscience being okay with it, CG should be fine.
>>
What are some good monsters for a first level dungeon?
>>
>>51741108
Oh. I did forget artificer and bladesinger, which I knew about. I don't think I'd count Technomancer, that's way too specific for most campaigns.

Mostly I just think Wizard started with a lot because spell schools are sacred cows.
>>
>>51741120
Scout fighter will probably be replaced by Scout rogue too.

I requested they keep both ideas in the survey, and I hope others do too.
>>
>>51741069
Yes please do it again
>>
>>51741140
>Mostly I just think Wizard started with a lot because spell schools are sacred cows.
Maybe so, but they could have been narrowed down to
>Beguiler
>War Wizard
>Summoner
>Fleshmoulder
>>
>>51741128
Crawling Claws 0, Piercers and Darkmantles 1/2, Shriekers 0, Violet Fungus 1/2, Vegepygmy 1/4, Thorny 1, Gray Ooze 1/2, Flying Sword 1/4, Animated Armor 1.

I like monsters that are basically just in the "dungeon flora and fauna" category or otherwise can be easily stocked.
>>
>>51741122
Unless your DM has rewritten the default assumptions D&D uses with undead and negative energy, the creation of undead is evil. In which case, you can only be CG if you consider everyone who doesn't think themselves evil (aka everyone who isn't a Saturday morning cartoon) to be CG.

I'm mostly just glad alignment is easy to house rule out now.
>>
>>51741128
Oozes are pretty good, throw in cultists to ghaunadur and you are all good. Could even build up to an entire campaign.
>>
>>51741168

They could have, but there would be zero gain.
>>
As a player. How do you want to receive magic items.
>>
What would be a good thing for a Twilight Druid to worship? I'm making a tactical nuclear druid, and I need a deity that supports the virtues of the Twilight Circle (i.e., killing undead). What should I go for?
>>
>>51741128
Ghouls, ghasts, spectres, shadows.
>>
>>51741168
They could have, but that's not what sacred cows means.

I am frankly not entirely pleased that all pure magic users get dumped into 1-2 classes (wherein they all have access to all magic), but that's the way it goes.
>>
>>51741192
Mostly through finds, every now and then saving up money for something I saw in a shop a few towns ago.

Maybe even something we heard of and have been hunting for.
>>
>>51741180
> if you consider everyone who doesn't think themselves evil (aka everyone who isn't a Saturday morning cartoon) to be CG.

Its not a surprise that 5 people with literally exact behaviors could be LG, CG, LN, CN, and LE, so that's entirely possible. Not to mention that N also fits (ignoring moral choices).
>>
>>51741180
>Unless your DM has rewritten the default assumptions D&D uses with undead and negative energy, the creation of undead is evil.
That's not anywhere in the default assumptions though.

>Not even a necromancer. Just a rules lawyer.

>>51741187
You'd make those as the base classes and give them archetypes of their own. That way you could have ~20 different "wizard" archetypes and still complain because fighters have more than summoners.
>>
>>51741204
One of the good ideas 3.5 was the creation of the Beguiler, Warmage, Dread Necromancer, etc. that were built around a school or two of magic instead of accessing everything. It would have been nice to see a few of the wizard archetypes split off into their own classes to reduce magic-dominance and give them a chance to have some more interesting class features aside from spells.
>>
>>51741192
By taking it from a scary monster or villain that is using it! It makes me feel as though I have in some sense gained its power by defeating it.
>>
>>51741192
I'm fine with getting them in ancient treasure piles, tombs, etc. I just prefer it when they're at least borderline useful. Last time we used random treasure, our party pulled two Foccalin Bandours or whatever they're called. We have no bard.
>>
>>51741192
As a DM, sometimes I just say players find 4 uncommon magic items and 1 rare one from the DMG, often times with a restriction like "only 1 weapon and 1 armor" so people don't all just pick direct combat stuff constantly.
>>
>>51741226
The default setting, depending on who you ask, is Greyhawk or FR. The assumptions are outlined there and they tend to inform people's view of what's good/evil when a setting is not explicitly mentioned.

So if your DM rules that way, okay. But it's not the norm.
>>
File: 5e wizards.jpg (55KB, 774x544px) Image search: [Google]
5e wizards.jpg
55KB, 774x544px
>>51741228

Fortunately that's not a concern anymore.
>>
>>51741284
What's not? Caster dominance? Maybe, but the fact that a necromancer, a summoner, and an evoker, all dedicated solely to their respective craft, can all use the same wands/scrolls/whatever without any issue is a bit annoying.
>>
File: Rusty Dragon.jpg (2MB, 2500x2083px) Image search: [Google]
Rusty Dragon.jpg
2MB, 2500x2083px
>>51741162

Currently searching for more maps. I've found a few so far. Always gotta be finding maps.
>>
File: 1487000490670.jpg (158KB, 594x439px) Image search: [Google]
1487000490670.jpg
158KB, 594x439px
How would you deal with a player who is insistent that he is a mercenary yet follows the party around demanding money constantly to do any action from entering a town with him or claiming he deserves more than everyone else while his character can do fuck all in any situation because they kept literal average stats 12/13 for all and chose to not take the lvl ability increase or feat?
>>
>>51741327
Don't deal with the player deal with the character. Tell the character they aren't gonna be paid and they don't require their services. Then politely say your farwells and leave.

Play your character, that is the rule.
>>
>>51741274
That's a neat solution. They have to figure out amongst themselves who wants what. There's nothing quite like making your players arguing!
>>
>>51741372
Luckily my players are RL friend so they don't get pissy over it.
>>
>>51741327
>chose to not take the lvl ability increase or feat
What?
>>
>geas a fire giant while he's sleeping
>gain personal bodyguard

wew
>>
>>51739486
Sohei is going to be a Fighter Martial Archetype that has limited Psionic Abilities in the same way an Eldritch Knight has limited arcane casting. It should be presented with the UA containing the full 20 level Mystic playtest.
>>
>>51739508
I wouldn't mind more maneuvers, especially maneuvers with a level prerequisite to make swapping out at higher levels more attractive.
>>
>>51741310

No, I mean griping about the wizard seems totally misguided. Clerics get their power from totally different deities, generical clerical scrolls that are "frozen miracle prayers of fungible agnosticism" make an order of magnitude less sense than an abjurer and necromancer being able to read each other's notes. So that's flavor.

In terms of variety and power, druids and bards both have a huge suite of spells, both a mix of stuff that used to be considered arcane or divine, and encounter-ending spells aplenty, while also having a great amount of combat power and tankiness in the case of the druid (or at least moon druids; valor bards are debatable), healing/recovery as well.

re: caster dominance, mostly the question no longer makes much sense; CR 2 seahags, CR 4 banshees and CR 6 chasmes all pretty much encapsulate the threat a caster poses while being beefier and still being a threat if they lose initiative, and generally better utility in terms of analogs to prepared buffs. Inasmuch as the question can be said to make any sense at all, caster dominance in 5e is a feature of noncombat performance (although EKs and ATs get spells and plenty of damage), and bards and druids get that too, if not better.

Hence, wizards are #3, albeit a great number 3.
>>
>>51741386
He said he wanted to be bad at his job but not horrible and DM was completely fine with it

>>51741362
We've tried telling it to his character in game but he plays it off as my character turns around and doesn't say anything in response. DM is a bit of a spineless shit and won't just let us leave him behind figured I could get more ideas on how to deal with it
>>
File: Old Fallen Statue.jpg (889KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Old Fallen Statue.jpg
889KB, 1024x1024px
>>51741401

Where was this confirmed?
>>
>>51741399
>bodyguard that can wander off and leave you to die, yell "HEY YOU GUYS" when you're sneaking around, murder your party at a pivotal moment, etc.

Be very, very nice.
>>
>>51741420
Clerics and druids are a great example actually. If we could get a few different "wizards" with that kind of relationship, that would be cool. You could do something like that between Warlock and Sorcerer too.
>>
File: 137435794963457.png (661KB, 1131x767px) Image search: [Google]
137435794963457.png
661KB, 1131x767px
>>51741433
>He said he wanted to be bad at his job
>playing a team co-op game that relies on character ability
>wants to gimp his character on purpose

what the fuck
>>
>>51741433
Then leave him behind. Tell your teammates in the middle of the night to sneak out of the inn and go to a different inn. When he wakes up he will be gone and will have to make checks to find you. Just walk out of town and get out of there.

If he finds you then the DM is trying to make it happen and your problems are no long with just the character.

Next time he fucks up just scold him in roleplay. Every time he fails a check show how much you hate the character. Eventually they will be sick of it. This only works in serious campaigns though if you guys are playing a casual game you may just have to live with it.
>>
>>51739737
>implying Engineering Captains aren't the best
>>
>>51740238
Do you have a sizable collection of these assets?

I'm sure lots of us would love to use such things to make new maps.
>>
>>51740170
The other PCs control the creatures.
Rewards to the PC that lasts longest, ensuring the players do their best to kick the shit out of their party members so that they have the best chance of winning themselves.
>>
Are there any good DnD apps for Android or Windows?
>>
So I'm running a published adventure and I'm 99% sure one of the players has read it already (not necessarily to get an edge but that's a possibility).
What should I do about it?
Should I just leave it?
>>
>>51741561
Make one thing majorly different and see if he gets butt hurt about the fact you changed something.
>>
>>51741561
Introduce your elements into it. Keep them on their toes and don't be afraid to change around the allegiances/motivations of NPCs or factions.
>>
>>51741558
What are your needs?
Do you mean for looking up rules or actually playing a game?
>>
>>51741558
spellbook app is pretty neat
>>
>>51741561
Change a few things early on to give him a sense of uncertainty about everything.
>>
>>51741589
>>51741576
>>51741581
Forgot to mention I'm halfway in already and he only joined a couple sessions ago so the problem is there's a lot that's already set in stone.
I'll do my best though.
>>
>>51741582
A good character builder would be really nice but other than that I'm just looking for anything DnD that's worth downloading.
>>
>>51741476
what's the matter, Mr. Powergamer? Too much good RP and badwrongfun for you? Some people put roleplaying before rollplaying.
>>
What would you play to get the most flavour on an ice themed caster?
>>
>>51740497
''Jusuf Glitergolds's Curiosities!''
>>
>>51741604
There is a 5e character sheet app with an inbuilt builder, the icon is a green d20

If you get the paid version it even levels you up automatically
>>
File: Road Side Trap.jpg (296KB, 1598x849px) Image search: [Google]
Road Side Trap.jpg
296KB, 1598x849px
>>51741507

Not that person, but I know Roll20 has a lot of stuff you can put together. I think Dungeon Painter is free (not 100% on that). Two popular paid programs I've found in my searches are Campaign Cartographer 3 and Dundjinni.
>>
>>51741476
>tfw two of my party members are Bladelocks
YOU'RE NOT JUST PUNISHING YOURSELVES
>>
Would Horseshoes of Speed on a Paladin's Steed screw over Monk?
>>
>>51741618
Not even that guy but you're a retard.
Teamwork is important and if one member is far weaker than the rest then why are they part of the team in the first place?
If I'm trying to save the world I'm not dragging Fred the cripple with me.
>>
File: wow.png (187KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
187KB, 361x691px
>>51741618
>nah guys, I don't wanna level up my character, I'll stay at level 1
>what? you're all leveling up? FUCKING POWERGAMERS LEARN TO RP REEEE
>>
>>51741627
Arctic Land Druid is probably a good start. If you want to be casting ray of frost more, then White Draconic Sorcerer could do some good.

If you want it all, then Evocation Wizard with elemental evil spells. Ray of Frost Cone of Cold. All that good stuff.
>>
Reposting from last thread.

Hello guys, I am going to be making a new char and once again stand with too many options before me. In short, what shuld i build?

I think for race I am going with Aaracocra, I feel like the 50ft flight speed would be super amazing, but I dont know what I want to build him as. I rolled for stats but essensialy got point buy rolls 15,14,13,12,10,9 and since this is a new char for an ongoing campagn he is starting as 5th level.

What cool or interesting things culd I make with my Aarakocra?
>>
One of my players wants to start as a lycanthrope, but I'm not sure how to handle it. One of my ideas was to have his character rolled as a variant human and have the lycanthropy be his feat. What have you guys done?
>>
>>51741192
>Purchase on auctions with possible trouble lurking arround when others who wanted to buy that stuff don't care about the law and try steal it from you.

>Quest rewards from craftsmen/artisans and influential individuals who might have those sorts of items in their treasuries.
>>
>>51741603
Use different stat blocks for your monsters from now on

Change the rewards they get in the second half

Swap locations of enemies in the dungeons.
If they are supposed to fight X Goblins in room 2 and then fight a Hag in in room 3, swap them.

Do the same with NPCs
If the next NPC of interest is in the Tavern, instead put him/her in the Blacksmith's shop having lunch with their blacksmith friend

Throw in 1 moment where the Villain of the adventure is encountered before the intended final boss battle

Also have a moment where the Villain of the adventure is, in his boss room, talking with another figure who happens to be his puppet master
Master
>You let these vagabonds into your sanctum?!
Puppet
>They are more capable than you think
Master
>You have outlived your usefulness
OHKO villain.
Now they fight his Master.
>>
>>51741698
>shuld
>culd
What the fuck?
Anyway, play a Monk or a Barbarian to keep AC high without needing medium or heavy armor.
>>
>>51741701
What kind of lycanthrope? Is this an evil game? What are werewolves like in your setting? When do they turn? Do they have control of themselves, or do they want to eat babies? Is this going to mess up party cohesion every single night?
>>
>>51741645
I wasn't really that crazy about that one, I thought the interface was kind of ugly. Do you know of any others?
>>
>>51741192
On the body of a superboss that just used them against me.
>>
>>51741701
Lycantrophy is quite powerful to start with (damage immunity to nonsilvered nonmagic weapons, automatic increase in strength for low-STR characters), so it'll be easier for you if you tone it down or introduce elements that make it harder for him to get around with.
>>
>>51741192
I prefer to not receive them at all, unless they're consumable items.
>>
>>51741701
Give him the location of a lair with werewolves to start. The PCs may go in there and try to let him get bit anytime they want, but getting them to stop is hard
>>
>>51741645
This. It makes leveling really convenient. Only thing it doesn't have is spell lists.
>>
>>51741734
Sorry my English has never been good :(
>>
>>51739517
AoO are not a big part of most characters' tactics. You do almost all your attacking on your own turn.This should not really have an effect on what character you play.
>>
>>51741834
They're pretty important if you took Sentinel.

Otherwise yeah.
>>
File: 24c508a777c95550c2355fcb939677ec.jpg (419KB, 1600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
24c508a777c95550c2355fcb939677ec.jpg
419KB, 1600x2000px
>>51741192

As a DM, I like to let the fates decide what they get. I like the following site.

http://redkatart.com/dnd5tools/#treasureBox
>>
>>51741447
In Mearl's tweets about finishing the the 20 level draft prior to New Years.
>>
>>51741764
He wanted to play as a werewolf and it is not a evil game. I would say my werewolves are done like traditional werewolves and they can turn whenever they please. This wouldn't mess up the party at all.
>>51741777
After thinking about it more, I think I'll have him gain more of the lycanthrope features as his curse advances.
>>
On a 0-10, where 0 is stupid underpowered, 10 is stupid overpowered, and 5 is about balanced, where do the new UA archetypes lie?
>>
>>51741720
Refluff the Aasimar racial and give it to variant human instead of a feat

Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the beast within you, causing your body to change into that of a human-wolf hybrid. Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, your unarmed attacks deal 1d6 piercing or slashing damage (your choice), you have a climbing speed of 30 feet, and once on each of your turns, you can deal extra piercing or slashing damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an unarmed attack. The extra damage equals your level. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
>>
>>51741877
Warlock stuff about a 6, wizard one definitely a 8.5/9
>>
>>51741820
No worries, it's only a small thing but it's just such a strange mistake.
>>
File: 1449540744750.jpg (728KB, 2325x2175px) Image search: [Google]
1449540744750.jpg
728KB, 2325x2175px
>>51741856

Cool, thanks, I found the tweet.
>>
>>51741877
Loremaster Wizard is 10, warlock stuff is 5 or 10 when used for dipping.
>>
>>51741895
Or alternatively make the transformation be usable from level 1 but it only gives 1d6 unarmed attacks and climb speed, then at level 3 or 5 it gives the extra damage and maybe resistance to nonmagical non-silvered weapons
>>
>>51741683
>Arctic Land Druid
Someone called?
>>
>>51741936
Are there crazy dip shananigans with the Raven Queen one? The only thing I've seen is people trying to maximise their number of pets.
>>
>>51741192
I prefer to find trinkets, doo-dads, and magical tchotchkes that can be used to empower items of relevance to players and parties.

Instead of tripping across a +1 dagger that defaults to the Rogue, the party finds some fucking pixie dust that they can work out to enchant any weapon to be +1. Now they can pick who and what can make best use of this. Shit like that.

In my current campaign, one of the party members is an Artificer with a DM homebrewed scrap + engineering gimmick. We fight a lot of enemies with clockwork inventions and the Artificer will either use them wholesale, modify them for party use, or break them down into scrap which he can then use to invent other objects of use for the party.

My character is an Awakened Mystic with a similar gimmick focused around crystals. I'm the only one who can make use of them, but they largely benefit the party. I've got a collection of crystal, one of which I can attune to each day, that can provide effects ranging from giving the party proficiency on checks made to haggle for rewards or payments, find more loot, negate knockdowns on allies, use the Help action for skill checks at range provided I have proficiency (and no Mind Vault shenanigans), or increase the DC of my powers at the price of inflating my PP costs. The latter was salvaged from the sensory mechanism of a clockwork colossus belonging to a rival artificer. I also carved some fucking crystal glasses for our Fighter because he misses 90% of his attacks.
>>
>>51741850
These online treasure hoard generators made me realize I actually didnt know how to roll the treasures at all. Sooooo many coins and nice art going out.

I just really wish they had a filter so one could force guarantee somewhat desirable items. Without feeling like you just gave away items.
>>
>>51741990
>I want to give away items without feeling like I gave away items
>>
File: 5ekJlxB.jpg (503KB, 610x900px) Image search: [Google]
5ekJlxB.jpg
503KB, 610x900px
>>51739425
What's the point of having saving rolls tied to stats? You rarely if ever use Strength and Charisma. Why not make it something like Evasion (best of Dexterity/Int), Fortitude (best of Strength/Constitution), and Will (best of Wis/Cha)?
>>
File: 1452898002245.jpg (2MB, 4200x4350px) Image search: [Google]
1452898002245.jpg
2MB, 4200x4350px
>>51741990

I know that site has an option to increase magical item frequency, if you want a higher change to ensure that hoard has an item.
>>
>>51742051
Wow, I fucked up. Meant to say "tied to each stat individually".
>>
>>51742051
Well firstly Dex/Int is always a contrived pairing that doesn't fit half as well as the other two (which are by no means perfect - only Wis/Cha feel like they could fill a similar role, and that might be because "will" is so abstract).
Secondly it means that there's always something the character is likely to be affected by.
It's fairly easy to have 3 good stats, it's basically impossible to have 6 good ones.
>>
Is Int officially the worst stat assuming you aren't an int caster?
>Wis is Perception and a common save
>Cha is talky shit, there is no situation that can't be overcome with a high enough Deception
>Str is how much shit you can carry
>>
>>51741877
>10 is stupid overpowered
Lore master is a solid 10 then
>>
>>51741975
I'm talking about the one that is mandatory for paladins (and fighting sorcs)
>>
>>51742107
Int is as useful as the DM allows it to be. History, Investigation, Nature, Religion. It solves a lot of problems if your DM has you do them.
>>
>>51742107
No, just take some initiative.
>Can I see if I know anything about X?
>Sure, roll me a History/Investigation/Nature/Arcana
>Get useful information
>>
>>51742107
This is hardly new information.
Int sucks, Strength is close behind for most classes (Dex is usually a better investment).
As a DM, I try to make Int and knowledge skills more useful because otherwise nobody bothers taking them.
>>
File: z.png (74KB, 355x400px) Image search: [Google]
z.png
74KB, 355x400px
>>51740229
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7h_4RhONKw
>>
What the fuck do I do with giants? What have you done with giants?

I want megalithic structures that many civilizations have built upon. Ancient remnants of Giant civilizations.

Dwarves are also like maggots or lice to giants, so wherever giants are or where, there are now Dwarves. This means I have a kind of dwarf for each kind of giant.

Hill Giants are like English giants. The somewhat dumb, fe fi fo fum sorts. The dwarves from them are the fairytale kind, like those in Snow White.

Frost Giants are like Norse Giants. They're metal as fuck. The Dwarves from them are just as viking and metal.

Fire Giants I have no clue. Im torn between a sort of south arabian, or volcanic isle Polynesian.

Stone Giants and Cloud Giants im unsure.

Storm Giants are just as they are in the book, and the Dwarves that follow them are the coastal sort and Dwarven pirates.

Duregar im using as a sort of slaves in Drow society like the Drin of Tanith Lee's Night's Master.
>>
>There are people still crying about Magic Missile 1d4+2d10+1 to 3 targets instead of just saying it's not allowed since it's obviously not intended by the game for a healthy experience

>There are people honestly thinking abusing Loremaster's 1 mile radius is feasible and ignore the line of sight requirement on most spells

lol
>>
>>51742105
Yeah, but if you're playing a Fighter, your Strength save is basically useless since it rarely if ever comes up; I've had way more instances of needing to roll Con to avoid deadly gas or avoid getting tired, but my character has had to lift things maybe like twice in a year of gaming. Same goes for a Bard; they'll only use their Dex save, as Charisma saves are a very rare phenomenon.
>>
>>51741895
>>51741940
These are some good ideas. Thanks, anons.
>>
>>51741701
Shifter race from the UAs?
>>
File: 1425586124995.jpg (32KB, 360x479px) Image search: [Google]
1425586124995.jpg
32KB, 360x479px
Why couldn't they keep the Cleric's playstyle from 4e? Why do I have to spend standard actions to heal people, it's fucking dull
>>
Is asking for a Dex (Performance) check stupid? Normally it's charisma based yes, but for something related to circus you require both.

Or should I do Cha (Acrobatics)?
>>
>>51742210
>Why do I have to spend standard actions to heal people, it's fucking dull
You don't. You shouldn't, unless it's like Life cleric's channel divinity and you're healing several people at once from 0 hp. It's just not a good idea. Stop doing it.

TL;DR: Healing Word still exists.
>>
>>51742229
If you are saying something, it's Cha, if you are doing something with your body, acrobatics.
>>
>>51742210
>What is healing word?
>>
>>51742051
The Strength is fine, its used to resist grapples, knockbacks and entanglement, all very powerful attacks and essential for fighting types to resist.

>note: I'm not saying that I endorse grapple based PLAYER CHARACTERS

Charisma is iffier. PCs rarely need to make Cha saves, but they are typically very powerful effects that PCs are gonna love: binding, forbiddance, and banishment. There is, however, not much of a rhyme or theme outside that why some things use Cha and some things use Wis.
>>
>>51742156
Check out Storm King's Thunder and Volo's Guide to Monsters for some inspiration.
>>
>>51742243
>>51742229
Dex (Performance) is an option as well I'd let you use that if that was your thing.
>>
>>51742229
(dex)performance is what I would do

>>51742243
dont be this simplistic, you can do better.
>>
>>51742156
dwarves are way cooler than giants so fuck you pal
death to the giants
they're shit
the ancient extradimensional dwarf megacivilization will return and show all of you
>>
>>51742129
its the most meta genre of checks though
>>
File: 1482305950434.jpg (54KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
1482305950434.jpg
54KB, 392x495px
>want to make a Repelling Blast + Frost Lance + Agonizing Blast + Sea Sorclock
>you don't get 3 invocations until level 5 in warlock
>>
>>51742243
It's not saying something but it's still a Stage Performance and you kinda gotta look good doing it. Purely acrobatics isn't fun. The SPECTACLE part makes the show fun, no?
>>
>>51742126
>mandatory for paladins
Explain what is so good for a Paladin multiclass.
>>
>>51742189
Really depends on what monsters are used.
Yes, some are rare and some are common, but the classes are balanced around that.
>>
>>51742229
For a performance requiring acrobatics DEX(performance) is perfect

CHA(acrobatics) would apply if you were doing something that requires you to move around well but with more grace than skill, such as dancing with a partner, in my opinion at least
>>
>>51742250
Still not really the same.
Healing Word is weak, 4e let you fight and heal well.
I'm no 4e fanboy but that's one thing I liked about it.
>>
>>51742189
>what are knockdowns and forced movement effects
>>
>>51742284
cha to hit and damage

plus you can have a pretty useful imp
>>
>>51742252
>>51742051
Wisdom is based on your mental fortitude, being able concentrate hard enough to not let something overtake you. Imagine you are trying to ignore something, it takes your mental willpower to do it.

Charisma I have described as your presence of self, your soul fighting against fears and other souls. It's your ability to be brave and show your inner feelings.

It's complicated, but fending off someone trying to magically persuade you, and something tying your soul to a plane, could be different rolls and I'm happy they have it.
>>
>>51742298
So for figure skating which would you say? The elegance of it is more important than doing impossible 7 chain summersaults connected with wall runs etc. Right?
>>
>>51742326
>cha to hit and damage
Only if you don't want to use any of the smite weapons, or if you refrain from using PAM/GWM.
>>
Speaking of healing, how important is healing in 5e? In 3.P it was a desperate rush on who lands the Save or Fuck You spell first so healing is useless while in 4e having a Leader is probably even more important than having a Defender.

I wanna know because all we have is a Paladin.
>>
>>51742271
>Want to multiclass two different UAs
I feel for you. I really do.
>>
>>51742300
5e has smaller numbers in general.
>>
>>51742354
It gets you back on your feet and stops you from making death saves. It's great to have a little healing but you don't need a life cleric in every party. Not that I would be against it but still
>>
>>51742369
Not what I mean.
4e let you fight and heal at roughly full capacity, 5e Healing Word is far, far weaker than stuff like Cure Wounds, which you basically have to sacrifice a turn to use.
>>
>>51740497
Ring of Fire Detection

When you touch a flame while wearing this ring, a sharply painful sensation will make you aware of its location.
>>
>>51742372
This.
Even Life Clerics can mostly save healing for post-battle patchups.
>>
>>51742333
Since it is a high-intensity activity I would say DEX(performance) because you are putting out a performance, but it requires great physical prowess

The example of dancing was used because you could see someone who is out of shape being a good dance partner, but not a very good figure skater because of the energy required, does that make sense?
>>
>>51742372
Righto
I'm actually playing a Tome Warlock so I was thinking of picking up Spare the Living as one of my gorrilian Cantrips. Good idea or bad idea?
>>
>>51742329
Right, but its not consistent.

>psychic attack for damage
>confusion gaze
>save vs being frightened
>taunting to put at a disadvantage (sorta makes sense)
>save vs being frightened

The banishment/forbiddance/containment etc is pretty solid (though Imprisonment should have been cha imo), but overall there's no solid theme outside of that.
>>
>>51742394
That doesn't make much sense to me from a balance standpoint
>>
>>51742353
>smite weapons

I don't get this.
>>
>>51739573
I recommend taking variant human for the sentinel feat and then playing a War Cleric for Spirit Guardians like >>51739532 said.
>>
>>51742466
Warlock UA. Blade Pact weapons that have super smite tagged to them.
>>
File: a.baa-Laughing-Horse.jpg (64KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
a.baa-Laughing-Horse.jpg
64KB, 600x516px
>>51742394
>5e Healing Word is far, far weaker
The difference between Cure Wounds and Healing Word is 2 points. Give me a fucking break.
>>
>>51742051
>rolling Intelligence to dodge attacks
That makes absolutely no sense. Intelligence is a score that measures education and book smarts.

>You rarely if ever use Strength
I think the first saving throw my players made in 5e was Strength, to withstand a strong water current without being swept away. Since then I've found Strength saves to be rather common, albeit not as common as Dexterity saves. They're handy for hanging from a rope during a storm, redirecting a rolling boulder, holding up a collapsing ceiling, and so on. This last one is a personal deviation from the rules, but I use a Strength saving throw instead of an Athletics check to defend against a grappling attack (the attacker still uses Athletics).

>and Charisma
Charisma saving throws mostly crop up outside of combat or dungeons. I use them whenever a character must defend themselves against a threat to their courage, leadership, false identity or social standing. Often, I treat it as a "save face" roll to assist less experienced roleplayers through tricky social interactions.

I think the issue with having six saving throws is that DMs aren't accustomed to it, so they never make full use of the unfamiliar ones.
>>
>>51740819
If his dumb wizard ass had starting writing cringy lovesongs and performing them instead, he would, after becoming a really, really good street singer, suddenly know how to resurrect people.
>>
>>51742486
That's a generalization.
It's 2 points per level, and then at first level 2 points is a solid chunk of health.
Even more of a difference for life-spec Clerics eventually because of Supreme Healing.
>>
>>51742559
>>51742486
Also 2 points out of ~10 for a first level spell is still a 20% difference.
>>
>>51742452
The game is designed so that it's balanced, it just seems weird when you don't have the context of 4e's rules.
>>
>>51742428
Terrible idea. Take Guidance if you want to be supportive.
>>
>have low dex
>have light armor
Whelp, I'm running around with 11 AC! What's the quickest way to salvage this? Warlock btw
>>
>>51742610
Get better armor.
>>
>>51742610
Don't dump dex, what the fuck were you thinking?
>>
>>51742572
And at higher levels it doesn't matter that 9.5 is 26.66% more than 7.5. All that matters is that you're awake, and you can get whack-a-mole'd by the Balor again.

Unless you houserule the death mechanics the difference in healing doesn't matter unless it'll actually let you live another hit.
>>
>>51742610
Get eldritch spear and stay back there
>>
>>51742610
Why is your Dex so bad?
Anyway, the thing that lets you have infinite casts of Mage Armor seems like the go-to.
If your DM lets you influence what magic items you get (requesting / buying / making) there are obviously a few you might want.
>>
What's the edgiest character build possible?
I'm thinking Dragonborn Revenant Raven Queen + Shadow sorclock. How can I edge this up even further?
>>
>>51742559
>>51742572
>heightening a fucking cure wounds

Don't waste our fucking time with that garbage again! Jesus fucking Christ, why would you do that?

Use Aura of Vitality instead.

Arcana Domain is probably more desirable for a healer character, though it depends on ratio of fights that have enemy casters.
>>
>>51742610
Don't get hit.
>>
>>51742632
You bring up a good point that if you're healing in combat, things have already gone south and you should rethink your tactics next time.
>>
>>51742657
I'm not bringing up combat healing. Healing Word and Healing Touch are not out of combat healing spells. There are spells designed just for that purpose with 10 minute casting times.
>>
>>51742657
>>51742652
>>51742632
I'll admit, I'm no expert, I'm just relaying what the guy playing a Life Cleric in my game says.
I think he's used to MMO healing or something.
>>
File: Alchemy Pot.jpg (101KB, 550x302px) Image search: [Google]
Alchemy Pot.jpg
101KB, 550x302px
Was thinking of using the alchemy pot from the Dragon Quest series for one of my games. Basically you put 2-3 items, be they weapons, armor, potions, etc. inside the pot and a new item is created after a certain amount of time if the right combination of ingredients is used.

If I were to use this, how would I go about balancing it so it isn't abused as easily? Artifacts and other one of a kind items obviously can't be used. Also what combination ideas do you guys have? Just pick two-three items from say the DMG, merge them together, and see what you come up with.
>>
>>51742688
Attunement limit exists for a reason, you're basically letting players circumvent it
>>
Is the Deepstalker Ranger good? I see people saying it's better then Hunters but aside from WIS Saving Throws I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>51742648
Shadow Monk / Hexblade

Shadowstep to enemy's shadow where your hound is, free action say "Nothing personal kid.", then attack with your greatsword shaped like a katana.
>>
>>51742688
Don't let them make magic items.

t. DM that let the Wizard make magic items.
>>
>>51742719
I personally think they're roughly equally good.
>>
>>51742623
kk, Moderately Armored Feat will raise my Dex to 12 and give me better armor and a shield. That'll be 17 if I don't want disadvantage!
>>
Rolled for stats in a new campaign and got 17,13,13,13,11,8. Going to make a variant human wild magic sorcerer, so the final stats should end up being 18,14,13,13,11,8.

What should my starting feat be and what should i do for my ASI's? I was thinking either starting with resilient dex so i could have 18 cha 14 dex and con, or with ritual caster for detect magic and identify and other good wizard rituals since I have a feeling i'm going to be the only caster in the group since everyone else in my group rolled a 5 or 6 in int.

On a related note how should i handle wild magic? Should I convince my DM to let me roll every time I cast magic and do a double roll to see if I land on the table when I use tides of chaos?
>>
File: smug anime girl.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>51742724
>greatsword shaped like a katana
*snorts*
it's called a nodachi, you baka gaijin
>>
>>51742759
>fluffing your greatsword as a nodachi
kys yourself
>>
My group is going to start our first 5e game in a few weeks. We're 3 players, and the other two have expressed interest in playing a Wizard (don't know what specialization he aims at) and a Valor Bard. We'll start with a homebrew section as children before becoming level 1 characters.

I also want to try out the new spell mechanics, but see a need to contribute somewhat in melee. Since I like the nature/fey theme, a Moon Druid or Ancients Paladin appeals to me. Would either of these options fit in well with such a small, caster-heavy party, and what should I pay attention to (featwise etc.)?
>>
>>51742686
Aura of Vitality heals avg 70 hp (or 120 hp for life domain) over 10 rounds, very useful.

For Arcana, instead, each round you can be stripping off a spell debuff from an ally, although for level 4+ spells you have to use something stronger.
>>
>>51739784
Holden is the Roci's captain, not Miller
>>
>>51742779
Both of them are more than fine. Lots of health can take hits and can be in melee. Paladin is more support, Druid is more beefy.
>>
>>51742779

Yes, my favorite, and I think one of the best, 3 man band is Ancients Paladin + Valor Bard + Moon Druid, 3 guys who can fight, heal, and cast.
>>
>>51739999

Another way would be to go Battlemaster and use Feinting Attack. You gain Advantage, the Superiority on the damage, and ergo guarantee Sneak Attack on hit. The more often you take Martial Adept, the more often you have ammo to try this.

Gaining surprise over and over is really tough. Spells have verbal and somatic components, so they'd never fall for the Charm Person gimmick unless you surprised them at the very beginning of combat--at which point the "as often as possible" concept falls flat.
>>
>>51742785
It's also not on the cleric list.
>>
>>51742394
>5e Healing Word is far, far weaker than stuff like Cure Wounds

Assuming you're playing a Life Domain Cleric:
>Disciple of Life adds 2+(spell level) points of healing to all of your healing spells.
>You add your Wisdom modifier to both Cure Wounds and Healing Word.

Assuming your Wisdom modifier is +3 at 1st Level, Cure Wounds restores an average of 10.5 HP as an action, and Healing Word restores 8.5 HP as a bonus action. That's not a huge difference.

Admittedly, the difference grows at later levels, especially once you have Supreme Healing. Let's say your Wisdom modifier is +5 by 20th Level. Casting Cure Wounds as a 9th level spell would net 88 HP of healing, and Healing Word would restore 52 HP without using a action. That's as big as the gap between the two spells is ever going to get, unless I'm mistaken. I've never played a Life Cleric up to 20th level in 5e, so I might be missing something.
>>
https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product-category/all-products/dungeons-dragons/5th-edition/

Which books of Kobold Press are good? I got Tome of Beasts.
>>
>>51742719
That extra attack on the first round is really good, and the level 11 feature to take a 3rd attack if you miss is really good.

The Deep Stalker bonus spells are also pretty damn good.

It takes more thinking than Hunter to get the most out of it, but it's worthwhile.
>>
>>51742779
Moon Druid is a fat sack of shit in a good way, a retardedly large pile of hitpoints that should always be the last to die in TPK.

Paladin shits out the damage more than soaks it up. Barbarian is closer to Moon Druid's counterpart in soaking up hits.

If you go Moon Druid one of the best feats is Resilient (Con), and War Caster so you can cast a concentration spell, and actually keep it up for hours while you're eating honey as a bear.

If you go Paladin the zzzz build that most people do is Polearm Master + a million smites. Doesn't matter which polearm master weapon you use, Quarterstaff + Shield, Glaive. As long as you bonus action attack-smite you're about as optimized as you can go.
>>
>>51742880
IMO Deep Stalker is also good for either races that don't have darkvision or races that do specifically if you'll be in the dark a lot since your range will be longer than the enemy's
>>
>>51742880
Shit completely forgot about the 11 feature. It goes pretty well with Sharpshooter.
>>
>>51742900
I figured that went without saying since it's in the description of the Deep Stalker to do just that.
>>
>>51742849

Oops, my bad.
>>
>>51742719
Underdark Scout is roughly equal to Colossus Slayer for combats lasting 3-4 rounds. Strictly better if the fight is shorter (and incredible for levels 3-5).
Ignoring enemy darkvision when hiding is ridiculously good as long as your DM remembers it.
Increased darkvision can be a godsend (Drow with 150 ft? yes please).
Added spells are great since a Ranger gets so few, Greater Invisibility is fucking crazy for UA Ranger (bonus action Hide).
WIS Prof. is objectively superior to Steel Will, as you noted.
Stalker's Flurry is like having free Advantage+ once per round (but better, since it you can have Advantage on the extra attack!), without spending any extra actions.
Stalker's Dodge is meh, roughly equal to Uncanny Dodge (though UD is better in most cases).

The only thing the Hunter gets which is better than the Stalker is Evasion, and that's stupidly late at lvl 17 (laughing_monks_and_rogues.jpg). Their damage seems to be more consistent at a first glance due to Colossus Slayer, but that's easily outdone with Stalker's Flurry and Underdark Scout.
Volley is cool if you're ranged. Whirlwind Attack does NOT allow you to attack every enemy you can reach with movement, RAI was that you get one attack towards every opponent within 5ft. with any movement taking place before or after the attack action.

Stalker is superior. A case can be made for Hunter if your campaign starts at level 17+.
>>
>>51742940
Fair point
>>
>>51742756
If you roll the spell level or less on the d20, you get a surge. Make Tides of Chaos guarantee a surge on your next spellcast.
>>
>>51740641
Played with a dude who was playing a Death Cleric of a god of death and taxes. Very focused on paperwork, was searching after a junior priestess that had filled her forms in wrong. Animated undead to also do paperwork or cut down the work time on research projects, etc.
>>
>>51742875
again,

Are Kobold Press books decent? Should I look into them? I have Tome of Beasts and it's quite useful.
>>
>>51742255
Eh. Fire Giants are fairly generic. Stone Giants are kinda cool as these weird mystics. Cloud Giants are pretty generic too.
>>
>>51743156
>Tome of Beasts
I don't know. Check everything in the OP, see if you want to buy more.
>>
>>51742756
Welp just got word from my group i'm the only full caster. My group consists of a ranger a fighter and a barbarian.
>>
>>51743547
New thread.
>>
File: smile and optimism.png (259KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
smile and optimism.png
259KB, 640x480px
>>51743388
>sorc as only full caster
>>
>>51742788

My bad. Watching the tv show screws woth all the names because every actor is the exact other face i had for some other character in mind
>>
>>51743555
It can work in a way with multiple viable targets for twin haste. You just have to jump through a lot of hoops for out of combat problem solving.
>>
>>51741052

Are you sure?
The hexblade's curse must be cast at 30' feet range.

Also If you start piling up melee bonuses you can have a beast.

And hexblade with eldritch blast and hex and curse do:
5,5+5+6+3,5 ->20 x 4 = 80

And hexblade with greatsword and elemental weapon and curse and gwf do.

7+5+5+6+5+10+3= 41 x 2 = 82
+ the chance of having an aditional attack if killing and oponent or crit
+ Arms of Hadar
+ Sentinel feat
+ Curse bringer: you dont lose the curse and can pass it upon another target.
+ Smites if necesary.
>>
>>51742333
I think it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Are you just trying to show off your technical mastery or physical ability? That might be dex. Are you trying to put on a show that will impress people or make them feel something? That's cha.
>>
>>51742354
Pretty unnecessary. It's nice to have some to throw around in case someone goes down but otherwise hit dice healing during short rests keeps you adequately healthy.
>>
>>51743783
Huh. Good info to know.
>>
>>51742502
We use Strength saves plenty in our games. The ones we never see are Int and Cha (beyond a couple rare saves made in that underdark adventure).
>>
>>51742402
Useful for a creature that's immune to fire maybe?
>>
>>51743783
What are these number?

You know you can only have 1 concentration spell at a time
>>
>>51743962
The only concentration spell is hex for eldritch blast warlock
and elemental weapon for bladepact warlock

But i fucked up cos magical weapon bonuses (from devotions ) and elemental weapon doesnt pile up. So you use hex too with the bladepact warlock.

So two handed weapon dmg ends being 79
+bonus action attack if crit or enemy kill
+Arms of hadar
+Sentinel
+Curse bringer
+smites if necesary.
>>
>>51742863
>I might be missing something.
You would never, ever, ever cast Cure Wounds or Healing Word with a 9th level spell slot. Ever.

Other than that, I think you got everything.
>>
If I have a character with the War Caster fest and polymorph into let's say a T-Rex and get hit, does War Caster apply its bonus to the following concentration check?
>>
>>51743783
>And hexblade with eldritch blast and hex and curse do:
>5,5+5+6+3,5 ->20 x 4 = 80
With +11 to hit.
>And hexblade with greatsword and elemental weapon and curse and gwf do.
>7+5+5+6+5+10+3= 41 x 2 = 82
With +9 to hit, and the action economy works better, but you can't combine Ultimate Pact Weapon with Elemental Weapon.

>>51744180
>So you use hex too with the bladepact warlock.
So you don't actually get better action economy. Or average damage. Or accuracy. I'd say screw Hex, that's another spell slot you could slash-smite with.
>>
>>51745093
Seriously, in either case, if you're at the level to do that shit, you have better stuff to cast than fucking Hex.
>>
>>51743783
That seems incredibly marginal especially since it uses a concentration spell AND a feat.. to do 2 more points of damage.
>>
>>51745143
>you have better stuff to cast than fucking Hex.

Actually, +3 Greatsword against AC 19, no hex:
+14 to hit for 2d6+5+5+3+6
>21.15
+9 to hit for 2d6+5+5+3+6+10
>20.15
Actually, screw Hex and GWM (unless you want the bonus attack only).
>>
>>51744992
I fairly certain it wouldn't. Your statistics - including feats, abilities, and features - don't carry over.

If you're using polymorph as a combat buff, you should be polymorphing another party member, not yourself. Mostly because if you get knocked out of concentration, then you're a squishy caster hanging with their ass in the breeze on the front line.
>>
>>51744992
>>51745192
>the only reason I've ever considered taking War Caster wouldn't work

Damn... wow.. rly makes makes Cranium.
>>
Ok, so someone kindly posted the definition of "magical" but I forgot to save it.

Would "Magic Resistant" and the Holy Avenger sword protect against, say, a vampire's gaze and other monster charm effects, for example?
>>
>>51745306
It's usually "what a DM decides is magical or not." Sage Advice says dragon breath isn't magical, for example.
>>
rangers are fun
>>
>>51745192
Oh I see. So that's why the Transmuter's Stone, for example, is important -- its an item anyone, not just you, can use.
>>
>>51745165
>>51745143
>>51745093

Well the thing is that until lvl 17 you do much more dmg that someone with eldritch blast.

Also is you kill your target and get an extra bonus attack you still do more dmg, so you still have better action economy for the curse part.

You still can arms of hadar and sentinel feat.
>>
>>51745306
An ability is magical if the ability says it's magical or it casts a spell. The Phoenix's Sorcerer's ignite ability is magical.
>>
>>51745367
I think the damage bonus on the curse should be changed so it doesn't favor multiple attacks so much. Make it like sneak attack. Without that, EB no longer does more damage at level 17.
>>
>>51745489
Most of you discussing it will never play a warlock at 17 anyway. Players at 17 aren't worried about casting Hex.
>>
So imps are pretty good for when they are available, and not to mention that the warlock can give them a bonus attack, but is there any easy way to protect one, via any class? I'm guessing a protector paladin or fighter primarily.
>>
>>51745272
Warcaster is better on classes that actually get shield prof, like cleric, who can't do the somatic aspects of a spell while holding a shield and a weapon, RAW.

It's actually a little silly. If a cleric's holy symbol is their shield, and the spell requires a material and somatic component, they can cast with both hands full, using the shield hand as the focus and for the somatic component simultaneously.
However, if the spell has a somatic component and no material component, they'd have to stow their weapon or shield to have a free hand.

A lot of DMs just kinda ignore the somatic rule for clerics, but if you don't want to break the rules for simplicity's sake, war caster is quite good; the concentration and spell AoO are nice bonuses too.
>>
>>51745467
...huh, weird. So a banshee's wail is not magical, but its lifesense is. But at least most charm effects are magical.
>>
>>51745550
I'm not talking about Hex here. I mean the Hexblade's curse is the only reason EB does more damage at 17 than the greatsword with all the new invocations. It's playtest material, so it's worth pointing out that peculiarity.
>>
File: 1443992578887.jpg (179KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1443992578887.jpg
179KB, 1200x1600px
I got a 5th level Warlock with Great Old One Patron and Pact of the Tome.

What would be the advantages or disadvantages if I multiclass to Sorcerer? Is that recommended at this point?
>>
>>51745585
Great to know, thanks.
>>
>>51746010
Yeah warlock/sorcerer is off the hook. Go for it.
>>
>>51746010
Warlock/Sorc is a solid multiclass. Would recommend
>>
So do templates have an official amount they adjust the CR by?

The sample shadow dragon has CR +3 over its untemplated person, and the dracolich, CR +1.

So is this a rule or do I gotta eyeball it?
>>
>>51746463
They try to include the rule where possible, but yes, you do have to eyeball it.
>>
>>51739999
Nope, because you "Friend" goes "Hey what are you doing with that knife, no stop!".

Now if you were to say, convince your friend to put on a blindfold, turn around put his fingers in his ears and go "Lalalah", then you would still not get suprise because he is aware that you exist and while he might be "Suprised" by your sudden but inevitable betrayal, it does not grant the suprised condition.

Just like being innnovative and proactive doesn't give you a bonus to initative.
>>
>>51741452
"Hey Grundhir my pal, have I introduced you to my best friend Zagaz the wizard?"
"Uhh Yakulf, that wizard cast a spell on you, he has been killing our tribe all week, he murdered your family."
"No way, he is like, one of my best friends I'd know if I was charmed."
"Well will you at least kill all his allies?"
"Oh, yeah sure."
Thread posts: 367
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.