[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 419
Thread images: 33

File: Dragons!.jpg (398KB, 870x490px) Image search: [Google]
Dragons!.jpg
398KB, 870x490px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd. Source: https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/822537176529432577

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What is your favorite published setting for D&D?
>>
First for Forgotten Realms
>>
>>51369107
Mah nigga.
>>
>>51369064
>What is your favorite published setting for D&D?
If you answer anything but
>Mystara
>Birthright
>Dark Sun
you are not my nigga.
>>
>>51369064
Spelljammer
>>
File: 6757658675865865.jpg (35KB, 394x296px) Image search: [Google]
6757658675865865.jpg
35KB, 394x296px
>>51369064
>Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd.
>>
How much strength would you need to punt a goblin over 20 yards?
>>
>>51369182
Sorry, it's still the 23rd where I am. :P
>>
Can someone explain Greenflame Blade to me?

So you hit the target for weapon damage, and then the extra 1d8 only goes to the second target? What if there is no second target, it just fizzles?
>>
>>51369211

20 yards with no technique?

I'd say Str 19/20.
>>
>>51369225
Yeah the secondary effect does nothing if there is no second target.
>>
>>51369225
The d8 is applied to both, but is only applied once you're Level 5+ (your cantrip upgrades, in other words). Before then the spell specifies your ability modifier and whatnot being used.

>>51369064
I'm rather fond of Al-Qadim from 2E, but a lot of its better features were applied to the Forgotten Realms in later editions (how cosmopolitan the Sword Coast is, several of its more plentiful magic items / exotic materials, its more thoroughly and competently fleshed out Elemental Casters, etcetera). It remains unique, but the contrast between the two has noticeably diminished.

As such I'd have to switch my vote over to Dark Sun, which at least feels in a number of places like they tried to do something new and that the only reason certain races remain in the setting / are PC options is because the player base might riot if the options were removed.
>>
Is there any way to give the ranger companion magical attacks? Is it an oversight that it doesn't?
>>
File: reaction cat.gif (459KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
reaction cat.gif
459KB, 320x240px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/lootgen.html

Added a loot generator based on the DMG tables to 5etools.
>>
>>51369136
I want to like Dark Sun, but I have never seen anything more to it than "everything is really oppressive."
Which is a great world for adventurers to fight against, I guess.
>>
File: 1470738254287.jpg (65KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1470738254287.jpg
65KB, 450x253px
>>51369136
What about Greyhawk?

By any chance does anybody know anything about Blackmoor? I've got the 3e splat just chilling on my shelf and never got into reading it.
>>
>>51369136
Planescape
Spelljammer
Ghostwalk
>>
Kenku Dexterity Barbarian. How bad of an idea is it?
>>
>>51369408
A spaceship crashed and an engineered turned into a mirror and then the gods went crazy because radiation eats one portion of magical energy and would destroy reality eventually. Also laser guns.
Actually, all the gods-going-crazy stuff happens after the spaceship accidentally explodes and nuclear catastrophe forces a giant magical t-rex to hollow out the interior of the planet and shove everyone in there for their safety.
>>
>>51369369
Is there any chance that Book of Lost Spells and Fifth Edition Foes from Necromancer games will be added?
Also jesus christ you're good. Stop being so great to us anon.
>>
File: 1476106874219.jpg (37KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1476106874219.jpg
37KB, 500x281px
>>51369418
>ghostwalk
>when you love a setting but it'll probably never get played

>>51369427
Woah.
Blackmoor jumped up a few pegs in my book.

I've also got an old Mystara gazetter lying around here somewhere I scored at a comic shop when they used to still have game stuff. It's good shit.
>>
File: eberron 1.jpg (1MB, 2220x1768px) Image search: [Google]
eberron 1.jpg
1MB, 2220x1768px
>>51369064
Xth for Eberron.
>>
>>51369064
Ravenloft
>>
>>51369466
Blackmoor / Mystara / Hollow World were the holy trinity of fantasy / sci-fi / planetary opera all married into one. Actually, I guess you can throw in Red Steel / Savage Coast for swashbuckling action, too.

Really, Mystara does it all. It's great. It's even got rules for letting you become a God.
>>
>>51369320

Yes; use your DM powers to Make It So.
>>
>>51369422

As bad an idea as an Elven Constitution Ranger.
>>
>>51369369
Damn
Does random loot table not actually hand out magic items other than consumables? Never realized.
>>
File: waf.png (135KB, 237x223px) Image search: [Google]
waf.png
135KB, 237x223px
I'm going to play a fiendlock charlatan with heavy voodoo vibes. Is it racist to play a character of a different race from you?
>>
>>51369540
it's fine

just wear a costume with blackface
>>
>>51369064
I feel like while Greyhawk and Dark Sun would require their own books, I think a general "World Compendium" or something could be used for Dragonlance, Mystara, and Birthright. They have cool shit, and a few mehanics unique to them (Red Steel and Bloodlines), but overall I think they don't really need the kind of real estate that the other settings need.
How do you feel about this? Does Krynn deserve it's own book?
>>
>DMing some noobies through a custom campaign
>Spend 6 weeks building first act, where they are tasked by their Guild to save a person from a ritual sacrifice
>Side mission to steal a shiny object of power because PC LG paladin wanted it for his backstory
>They complete both with ease
>Guild Master wishes to have the shiny object, invokes Guild Master right.
>They refuse, or ask for infinite money in return, but are standing in the Guild Hall with dozens of armed guards.
>Arrest them, make a villain out of their guild
>They spend weeks game time in town jail
>Meet a Half Orc
>He claims that the Guild wrongfully imprisoned him, they believe it and make friends with him
>They want to start their own guild on the rubble of the Guild they are with, since stealing the stick and person started a war.
>Break out of prison
>Form a guild, set up a sewer guild hall under town.
>They allow Half Orc to act as Chief Guild Officer, who assigns quests, hires recruits, and fences goods.
>Spend some time questing missions assigned by the orc, Letting Orc recruit members to the Guild, and have the Orc fence the goods they bring back from his mission
>Months go by
>Most recent mission is to ransack a town and kill a child in cold blood
>LG paladin is unhappy with having to do this.
>Ask him why he has a problem with this, he has had no problem stealing, raiding, and looting anything the Orc requested before then.
>sudden realization sets in...
>They find out they have been acting as bruiser and thugs for a criminal organization built off the rubble of a civilized enterprise that they destroyed themselves.
>They remember that they met the Orc in prison
>They change their alignments

Pretty fun campaign so far. They don't blindly trust me or my characters anymore.
>>
>>51369466
>Ghostwalk was published in June 2003, and was written by Monte Cook and Sean K. Reynolds.
How did those two chucklefucks come up with such a great setting?
>>
Any ideas to spice up a dumb-muscle barbarian character?
>>
>>51369540
>Is it racist to play a character of a different race from you?
Just because everyone plays Variant Human doesn't mean it's the only one allowed. We don't actually have Elves and Gnomes and Dragonborn IRL.
>>
File: 1478224999737.gif (313KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1478224999737.gif
313KB, 500x375px
>>51369566
I'm surprised it hasn't yet, what with WotC trying to bring up a bunch of their other settings into 5e. I'm not quite sold on it myself; I didn't grow up with the books or anything, but my wife has copies of the Chronicles trilogy around so I think I'll give it a try.

>>51369612
That does sound cool, they're not too salty about it. I've taught my group to not take everything I say at face value, and it doesn't help that after all the struggle they went through to get to the planes and enlist the help of the gods the only waiting to help was Vecna.
And now the Paladin is LE and has the Eye of Vecna lodged into his skull, much to the chagrin of the NG Monk/Ranger.
I had that roleplay bit planned for a fucking year and a half I can't tell you how finally ecstatic I got finally playing it.
>>
>>51369666
its a woman
>>
>>51369530
So... dope then?
>>
>>51369540
Here a (You)
>>
>>51369666
Minsc clone?
>>
>>51369785
But Minsc is a Ranger.
>>
> Newbie made a Barbarian with 10 DEX and 15 CON
> Normal human
> Knew that his DM is pretty brutal.
> Told him that he's going to die. Badly.
> "It's going to be fine anon!"

Should I just let him go? It's just a one shot so it shouldn't traumatize that him badly right?
>>
File: strongman.jpg (50KB, 401x600px) Image search: [Google]
strongman.jpg
50KB, 401x600px
>>51369666
Background as an entertainer. Was the Strongman.
>>
>>51369765

Hell yeah motherfucker.
>>
>>51369834
Kill him, maintain eye contact to establish dominance while the CR1/4 goblin destroys his anus.
>>
>>51369612
Now enjoy all players spamming insight check and slow the game down. that's what I do after my DM did the same thing to me ;_;
>>
File: snusnu.webm (593KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
snusnu.webm
593KB, 480x480px
>>51369764
SNU SNU
>>
>>51369916
I usually just auto pass most insight checks anyway, ill throw in a few random innocent insight checks in case they happen to crit fail.

In which case they get a profound sense of natural evil pouring from the eyes of this child, which they tend to immediately behead anything that even seems evil.

In which case they wind up back in prison and the whole thing starts over again.
>>
>>51369666
Go sage background and make Indiana Brones
>>
>>51370079
> using crit fail rule
RED FLAG! RED FLAG! ABORT MISSION IMMEDIATELY! PREPARE A PARTY OF LUCKY HALFING DIVINER!!
>>
Hey /5eg/, give me a fantasy material.

First 5 will make it into my setting one way or the other.
>>
>>51370079
>critfail skill checks

That's not how this works.
>>
>>51370173

Race of superpowered bugmen philosophers. Nobody fucks with them, but they aren't interested in conquest.
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/midgard-campaign-setting-dark-roads-and-deep-magic
kobold press started their kickstarter for the 5e midgard setting. I'm not shilling for it as I have not actually played midgard before, so I'm asking if anyone has and how is it? I'm dying for anything non FR for 5e
>>
>>51370175
Thats how I work, homie.

I never make the crit result something the party will be annoyed by. Usually something hilarious that results in some minor downtime or a completely different lore outcome.
>>
>>51370192

Apologies, I meant an actual material, like a metal or a kind of cotton.

...But as first reply and with a good idea, I will accede to your suggestion as well.
>>
>>51370173

A tribe of humans living on a floating island built with a greco-roman aesthetic. They ride pegasi and use weather based magic. To visit their leadership you must pass a trial of valor. They throw their criminals from the island, and it isn't locked in any one place. The first rumors anyone hears relating to it are occassionally bodies fall from the sky dressed in weird robes.
>>
File: Deadvin Zombson's Dad's House.png (2MB, 4200x4060px) Image search: [Google]
Deadvin Zombson's Dad's House.png
2MB, 4200x4060px
Working on making my own maps, any tips?
>>
>>51370259

Well you can certainly make rooms, but what are these rooms used for?
>>
>>51369422
How would that even happen?
>>
>>51370228
Sol Iron

Yellow and Gold, slightly malleable as ore, quite soft as ingot, somewhat light.

Forge with Tin to make it into a Sol Steel Ingot. Incredibly dense and heavy, quite firm, pearlescent orange and yellow, refracting qualities.
>>
>>51370228

Oh. My last game had super adamantiums

Pyromantium
Terramantium
Cryomantium
Aeromantium

They could be combined into alloys

Pyro + Air
Cryo + Earth

And them those could be combine into a super alloy

Omnimantium

They all had bonuses when made into weapons/armor.
>>
>>51370173
>>51370228
Murdersilk

Thick strong black threads that, when woven into fabric, have excellent sound deadening properties. Named because *Insert ancient assassin guild here* was rumored to make bags and gags out of it to muffle their victims screams.
>>
>>51370306

Well, there were other middle alloys too, any of them could be combined.
>>
>>51370259
If this is suppose to be a house, the outside shape would be all kinds of fucked up.

If its a box house with alot of unfilled space, then its just poor design.

Its easiest and best to start with an outside design to determine how much space you are able to occupy on the inside without everything being rolled out randomly.

Also, start by making half a map, then mirroring it horizontally or vertically if you need space, then layering it one over the other to make multiple floors. At that point you can just remove certain areas and change room layout for small sections.
>>
Anons, help me out figuring out how to handle the possible evil turn some of my players are having:

>have them come across a halfling with cart on fire
>help him put it out and tell them he is a salesman (they don't know but he's a con artist who sells faulty weapons)
>sells his wares for cheap as thanks and travels with them since they're all going the same way
>later that day they get into combat and the weapons PCs bought from him break
>they realized he scammed them and confront him after the encounter
>after some pressure he relents saying he deceived them and willingly gave back the gold the party gave him
>party doesn't think this is punishment enough so the tiefling monk decides to cut off his hand and foot and wants to kill him
>when I ask why she's torturing she says "I'm a tiefling, I have a tendency to do evil things"
>entire time halfling is begging for his life and to be let go
>party eventually binds his arms and legs together and leaves him on the side of the road while they steal his horse and cart to continue on

Any thoughts on what to do if they keep torturing everyone they get upset with?
>>
File: 1485228516165.png (21KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1485228516165.png
21KB, 900x900px
>player wants to play a pathfinder race
>tell him he can't
>he links to a dandwiki version
>>
>>51370396
Dude sent them into a life and death situation with something that could have very well got them killed, and after they helped him.

I'd say straight murder wouldn't be unfounded.
>>
>>51370396
>they left him alive

He is found and saved and tells on them, describes them. If they stay in town too long, someone will recognize them and call the guards. Guards capture them to rot in jail, cut off the casters hands and tongues. Reroll, quit being huge cocks.

If you leave survivors you deserve to get caught.
>>
>>51370366
>>51370286
just basic dungeon crawling stuff, I made this using the random dungeon rules. I wanted something a little nicer than just something i'd handdraw in roll20.

I'll probably just decorate it a little in roll20 with free assets
>>
>>51369666
noble background barbarian "rebelling" against his family by going on an adventuring gap year.
>>
>>51370476
They were jumped by bandits, so the halfling wasn't trying to kill them. While I get they were upset only two of the four actually bought something from him (tiefling didn't buy anything she was just "pissed off") and everyone had at least two other weapons on their person without the things he sold them
>>
>>51370396
Have them be recognized by the town guard somewhere, brought before a magistrate who gives them a quest in exchange for their freedom.

aka how to railroad the party without it looking like a railroad
>>
>>51370536
>Hello soldiers, I have some guns for sale here since you quite obviously use guns a lot
>What do you mean the guns didn't work, my bad those were from my "sell to idiots who I expect will get killed" pile. Well clearly a refund is in order

Very clearly a sociopath. World is better without him.
>>
>>51370302

It's in!

>>51370306

Ah, Elementally-different anything is totally my jam. Consider it in!

>>51370317

Nice, it's in!

Two more to go.
>>
>>51370536

If you sell someone weapons in a world full of monsters and bandits, and you know they won't work, you ARE trying to kill them.
>>
>>51370613
Does it have to be a player usable resource, or can it be something like Putrid Lava?
>>
>>51370292
All Kenku feel the absence of flight, stripped from them, but Skree'Awk felt a burning desire to regain this lost art and bring its secrets back to his people. At the age of 12 he overheard a conversation between two men he was about to mug about barbarians in the north who worshipped the spirits of eagles and had learned to fly.

After beating those two men senseless and robbing them of their goods, Skree'Awk journeyed north, following north until he found the Tribe of the White feather. Skree'Awk walked into their camp attempting to communicate his intent to join them. The hail of stones that greeted the terrifying bird monster's entrance suggested that he might not be welcome. So he changed tactics. He instead hung around the edge of the camp observing their rituals and supplications to the Spirit Eagle.

After enough time observing, the Kenku attempted the ritual himself, using the Elder's voice. The Eagle initially thought he had been tricked by some fucking Bard, since all he could see was a crow someone dressed in pants. Eventually he realised he'd been sincerely summoned by the Kenku, and took pity on the weird little thing, bestowing his blessing.
>>
How would you make a demolitions expert?
>>
>>51370494

Well to me, it's not going to be a great dungeon if you don't know the theme or know what purpose the rooms have beyond being 'dungeon rooms'.

Of course you could be playing a different kind of game which is fine, a funhouse dungeon or the like, but if your campaign is more narrative, I'd expect you to have more care about what's in the places your players go.
>>
>>51370645

Alchemist.

Or a blaster wizard with everything re fluffed.
>>
>>51370633

It can be anything you want, friend!
>>
>>51370657

Probably the latter to be honest. They get the bigger explosion spells. Alchemist is stuck with just fire.
>>
>>51370396
I think the tiefling's justification is bullshit personally, but on to your question.

If they keep torturing people give them a bad reputation. Have people start to fear them. Maybe they start getting shadier and shadier work. Suddenly they're part of some dark guild overthrowing a kingdom and installing a puppet king.
>>
>>51370228
>>51370317
Mindsilk

Harvested from a form of silkworm that forms a psionic hivemind, these filaments can be woven into a fabric that can protect the mind of the wearer from telepathic incursion. More advanced clothiers develop unique weaves that mirror the neural patterns of the wearer, augmenting psionic powers.
>>
File: giphy.gif (688KB, 500x337px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
688KB, 500x337px
>>51370641
>The Eagle initially thought he had been tricked by some fucking Bard, since all he could see was a crow someone dressed in pants.
>>
File: 1484962169400.jpg (74KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1484962169400.jpg
74KB, 480x640px
/tg/ I'm thinking of implementing a variant rule to spice combat up. If you would attack with advantage you can in lieu of rolling the d20 twice choose to make a called shot. On a hit it suffers weapon damage and you pick a body part (head, body, arm, or leg). The target must make a save, on fail it suffers a small negative, failing by 5 or more is worse, and failing by 10 or more results in the part being crippled.

I haven't hammered out specific effects but am thinking of allowing a rogue to do this in place of sneak attack damage.
>>
>>51370613

Translucent Aluminium
>>
>>51370787
Sounds neat, may need to adjust the DC for bosses though.
>>
>>51370228
M-Yew2

A magically created strand of plants which grow into a large coniferous tree. The wood is shaved down and pressed into sheets, which naturally melds into itself with ease.

The trees will continue to regrow shaved areas until cut down entirely.

Use melded shavings to cut into blocks, panels, bolts, planks, etc., which can then be cut down to any woodworker wares.

Due to the mendable property of this wood, it can repair itself over 48 hours if broken cleanly without major splintering or missing parts.

Yes, this was an excuse to make a type of wood called Mewtwo
>>
>>51370858

if it just regenerates how do you cut it into stuff? Maybe water activates the ability?
>>
>>51369764
I did that once
>Slab of flesh hill dwarf female barbarian (con 20 at level 1, toughness feat)
>Disguises herself as a male dwarf with a fake beard
>Nobody knows she is a woman
>Not even the party
>Buys female whores with the male party members and pays them to just say they had sex
>Doesn't even really care about passing as a male dwarf just finds it funny
>>
>>51370898
True, sounds like a solid excuse.

Must be grown near a naturally flowing river due to extreme demands for water, and must be submerged in water to repair itself naturally.
>>
>>51370743

Seems legit.

>>51370789

A bit sci-fi, but I'm sure something can be worked out.

>>51370858

Sorry, got my 5 materials! I'll keep this in mind though.
>>
Are there any creative combat options for playing an artificer so he isn't just *shoot gun* or *lob bomb* every round in combat?
Is there anything one can do to make/keep the mechanical companion relevant in combat?
>>
>>51370536
Profiteering on faulty goods is a malicious act.
If a roof caves in with no apparent cause and kills a man then the man who built that roof in a flawed manner should be put to death for his negligence. It is even worse when you are preparing something specifically for one who is actively seeking dangerous situations where everything must work as planned or death will occur. Torture is unwarrented however, quick death is fair and just.
/Hammurabi
>>
>>51370992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIMMDk2x-wU#t=3m02s
>>
>>51370992
Friendship fusion golems.
>>
>>51371169

These sound like they're cute and friendly and just want hugs, but the hugs trigger tactical nukes.
>>
>>51369064
FR/Spelljammer.

I've never played or read the latter.
>>
>>51369369

You're doing Ao's work, Anon. Thank you.
>>
>>51370425
>frogposting
You got exactly what you deserve.
>>
>>51370425
What race?
>>
Was thinking about trying to multiclass something in my buddy's campaign. Haven't really looked into it before so its still a little foreign to me
Other than meeting the stat requirements, the only thing I really need to think about are the perks I'd be giving up from that main class? Like the only cost of going Ranger 19/Fighter 1 would be the loss of the ranger's last feature, right? I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything important
>>
File: 1356905210263.jpg (218KB, 479x640px) Image search: [Google]
1356905210263.jpg
218KB, 479x640px
Threadly Reminder:

The average man rightfully fears and distrusts those of other races. The world is a narrow strip of civilization intermingled with constant war, death and rape. Racism is alive and well in d&d.

This is why your rainbow party of Dragonborn tieflings and half-orc rape babies isn't practical.
>>
>>51371326
that's it.
>>
>>51371406

Depends on the setting. Except the racism, that's always there in some way.
>>
What's the best familiar for an old one booklock assuming that the DM won't allow it to do combat stuff? If the eye rays are viable then I would think gazer otherwise probably a quasit.
>>
46,000 gp
20,000 pp
x11 1,000 gp gemstones:
Emerald (transparent deep bright green)
Star sapphire (translucent blue sapphire with white star-shaped center)
Opal (translucent pale blue with green and golden mottling)
Fire opal (translucent fiery red)
Blue sapphire (transparent blue-white to medium blue)
Fire opal (translucent fiery red)
x4 magic items from table I:
Luck blade
Armor, +3 chain mail
Crystal ball (legendary version)
Apparatus of Kwalish

>Apparatus of Kwalish

Haha, fuck yeah. Gunna use this.
>>
>>51371456

I thought it was always imp.
>>
every week I always am given a new idea for my campaign setting world. teleportation circles are now out with how ravaged the world have been

I'm also thinking of bringing back low-light vision partially in an effort to battle the "too much darkvision" argument i been seeing by many DMs, yay or nay?
>>
>>51371494
nah, use more magical darkness.
>>
>>51371481
Is that because of the poison or seeing in magic darkness?
>>
>>51371326
Spell slots get goofy when you multiclass between spellcasters but you won't need to worry about that
>>
>>51371326
For the most part, yes. One thing you should keep in mind is that most games never actually make it to 20th level, so when devising a multiclass build you want to have some idea what level or tier you expect to reach before things wrap up.

For example, if you know your game will reach level 11, there's a strong reason not to multiclass (at least until after you get the level 11 feature of your main class). If you expect the game to only go to levels 7-9, then multiclassing is a lot more attractive to most classes with Extra Attack.
>>
>>51371406
Racism isn't dead IRL either, yet we get along.
>>
>>51370425
>Other player wants to play as a Wyrwood
>For some reason I think it's a bad idea
>DM gives it the okay as long as they can reach a compromise on the racial stuff
>>
File: MOVE BITCH GET OUT THE WAY.gif (556KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
MOVE BITCH GET OUT THE WAY.gif
556KB, 300x225px
What are some ideas on what an Oath of Conquest paladin's level 20 transformation would look like?
>>
>>51371551
Do we anon, do we?

https://twitter.com/jetrotter/status/823325167233470464
>>
>>51369154
Muh negro
>>
How do we fix Green Flame Blade? Is it too good of a cantrip?
What if it only worked if there was a second target?
>>
>>51371863
It's fine. The only problem it has is that it's the most optimal thing to get for any melee rogue ever, but even then it's not *that* much better than just attacking for them, since it also removes the chance of using TWF.
>>
>>51371878
I feel like the fact it's the only optimal choice for a single-attack class makes it kinda bad
I'd prefer if there were more good options, instead of only one excellent option
>>
>>51371829
>Amerishart politics

Into the trash it goes, EU exists and it's going steadily moving into more centralization even with Russian puppet political opposition in Germany, France and UK trying to stop it.

Face it, racism is a learned behavior and we could all get along if divide and conquer wasn't such a useful tactic.
>>
>>51369666
Zealot, Ancestral or Totem barbarian that was cursed.

They're actually a really nice guy who despises violence but the God/Ancestors/Spirits possesses them in battle.
>>
>>51370220
Bad homebrew. "Mind control" PC isn't fun or hilarious. Please go back to your DM 101 class.
>>
>>51371878
Booming Blade + Cunning action is better than TWF. Especially if you use a familiar's help action to help you land that sneak attack.
>>
>>51371649
People just need to learn how to fluff the existing race into one.

>>51370425
Tell them to go back to their diaper wearing baby fox furry: The game
>>
>>51369261
Percentile strength is only for 18
>>
>>51371980
Oh it's you again, what do you get by turning this thread into >>>/pol/?
>>
>>51371956
He's unfamiliar with 5E and way more experienced with Pathfinder, so I guess I can't blame him. Still, I just have a weird feeling about this. The person who didn't even come to Zero Session was interested mostly because they said they'd be allowed to play a minotaur, and our Revised Ranger is a Lizardfolk.
>>
>>51372019
Not him, but what do you get by complaining about it?
>>
Would it be unreasonable to ask my DM to let me build my Wondrous Invention's into my body as an Artificer? I figure it would fix the lost item problem and allow me to play my self-improving perfectionist.
>>
>>51371980
Remember to keep discussion on-topic, reprobate. There's an entire board dedicated to what you're talking about.
>>
>>51372029
I don't see too much of an issue, as long as you make thematic choices and don't ignore the attunement of said items, keeping in mind that you can't really un-attune bits of yourself.
>>
>>51372077
Yeah I was planning to only take ones that make sense, Goggles of night, Boots of springing and striding and etc.

I didn't think about attunement but I guess I should make sure to choose shit that I won't want to get rid of anytime soon.
>>
File: 1479454830097.jpg (19KB, 227x195px) Image search: [Google]
1479454830097.jpg
19KB, 227x195px
>>51369369
BTW Anon I just wanted to say that you've made my pregame prepwork for my online games go from six hours of grueling notecopying to one hour of copy-pasting and for that you deserve to have a nice life. Keep at it anon, you're a saint
>>
Two magic questions because I'm still bad at magic.

Warlock-specific:
Both Spell-save DC and Spell-attack modifier refer to adding your Proficiency bonus. Question - proficiency in what? Situation-specific?

Second part - Warlock spells go up to 9th level, but a level 20 Warlock has 5th level slots. I thought you couldn't cast spells higher than the level of slot you had? How do you hit 9th level spells? Or even 6th level?
>>
>>51371940
>Booming Blade + Cunning Action
Booming Blade + Fancy Footwork
>>
>>51372209
>Proficiency bonus
THE Proficiency bonus, the one on the table of your character, the one that at level 1 is +2 and at level 20 is +5 or whatever.
>Warlock 9th level spells
Read their features, they get spells of that level granted to them.
>>
>>51372227
>THE Proficiency bonus, the one on the table of your character, the one that at level 1 is +2 and at level 20 is +5 or whatever.
Oh right, I'm so used to proficiency being applied to skills, this didn't occur to me.
>Read their features, they get spells of that level granted to them.
I've spent so long reading the later parts of Warlock and referring to the table I missed this, cheers.

Does that mean >5th level Warlock spells will never take up a spell slot?
>>
>>51372288
Nope. It's a class feature different to pact magic they use, so no spellslots.
>>
>>51371863
Why would you want to fix it? It's pretty much perfect.
>>
MOTHERFUCKER I WANTED SORCERER UA SO BAD
IS THERE ANY GOOD BLASTER SORCERER HOMEBREW OUT THERE?
THE KEYWORD IS "GOOD" FUCK
>>
>>51372441
If you wanna play a blaster there's 2 options in the book and another in the scag. Play one of them because the last thing the sorcerer needs is more blasting.
>>
>>51372464
Neither of them are good.
They're strictly inferior to evo wizard, which makes me so incredibly salty I could turn the Great Lakes into salt lakes.
>>
How would you stat the detonation of an atomic bomb /5eg/?
>>
>>51372500
>strictly inferior
Does that really matter? It's not like you're going to be worthless and that's the price you pay for cool metamagic. Evo Wizard's most likely always going to be the best Blaster because it's focus is the school of blasting.
>>
>>51372505
10d6+everybody dies
>>
>>51372520
>Does that really matter?
Yes. I want to be good at my job. As in best at my job.
>>
>>51372530
Then be an Evo Wizard. You can make a Druid who's a healer but that doesn't justify making a subclass just to be a better healer then Life Clerics.
>>
>>51372505

5 mile Radius blast.

100*d10 / (Distance away the Character is standing from the Blast center in miles.)

The ground is then poisoned, inflicting 10*d10 / (Distance away the Character is standing from the Blast center in miles) per round
>>
NewDM here.
I'm worried that I might be railroading. How do I make sure that I avoid doing this?
>>
>>51372670
If someone asks if they can do something, answer yes.

Then improvise like a mad cunt.
>>
>>51372670
Do not force plot shit on your players, that's all.
>>
>>51372500
Still, a Red Draconic Sorceror Tiefling is fucking awesome at demoralizing the ever-living shit out of everything.

You cast Thaumaturgy, amping your Voice, making your eyes glow, and having the ground tremble with every syllable.

Then you reveal your wings, and yell "TELL ME MORTALS?: ARE YOU READY TO DIE?!"

Unless the DM's a Dick, that's an automatic Intimidate check if not the enemy auto-failure.

Then you blast them with advantage, while you fly in pursuit.

BONUS: When you down one, use your draconic claws to tear out the enemy's heart while he still lives and say that "YOUR HEART, YOUR SOUL, ALL MINE!"
>>
>>51372670

Offer your players choices. Have some NPC show them a map of the region, make up some different rumors about different goings-on in different spots. Try to appeal to different sensibilities, and see what interests them most. Tease a horror locale, a murderhobo locale, and an intrigue locale, and see which one the party decides to go to.

Alternately, send them on a vague quest where you have them roll some random encounters, and see if one of them inspires a plot point. Build your own table, and have several of the possible events pertain to one of the PC's backstories.

That said, it's ok to railroad some early on. You're learning the system, and (I'm presuming) so are your players. If you're running modules to start, don't worry about sticking to the book. If you're writing your own campaign, stop writing too far ahead, and try to focus more on what would make the most interesting story in that moment. Maybe a confrontation with a minor NPC turns into a major plot point. Maybe you let the PCs kill the BBEG early on, and allow yourself to add a new twist to the story.

The main point is, stay flexible, and use your players as a resource. Talk to them out of game to see how they feel about how much agency they have.
>>
>>51372540
I want a blaster sorcerer. Sorcerers and wizards are thematically very different, and while fluff is mutable I don't want to retool all the stupid shit wizard has like their spellbook, how they learn spells, memorizing spells, etc to fucking sorcerer.

I just want a good fucking blast sorcerer archetype.
And if they don't give it to me I'll make one.
>>
>>51372775
Then make one, what are you complaining about?
>>
Hey /5eg/, I'd like a pair of eyes on this real quick. Super rough draft of psionic options, mostly a port of the expanded psionics book from 3.5 days. It's basically just races at the moment, but I'd like someone to tell me how much of a faggot I'm being making this shit.

Seriously, just fuck my shit up. How shit is this?
>>
>>51372775
Why not a Sorceror archetype that halves the spell cost of Offensive magic. You gain no extra sorcery spells

Call it the Spell-slinger, and we are done!
>>
>>51372797
> Psionics
It's shit.
>>
>>51372786
I'm bitching that wizards can't balance classes, which is objectively true

>>51372808
>spell cost
>>
>>51372822
My point was, you said you'd make one, so go make one.
Stop whining and do what you said you will.
>>
>>51372819
cool thanks bub
>>
>>51372808
Spell Points... Spell-slots.

Depends on the variant rules in use.
>>
Whats the best way to make up electronic character sheets.

Ive played around with some apps but few of them have all the races/classes/UA

Others don't let you multiclass.

There is practically no websites or anything to use.

What am I missing /tg/?
>>
>>51372837
No
WotC sucks at class balance
LOOK AT THE BOOK SENPAI
LOOK AT IT
>>
Do your players ever ask why the enemies weren't wearing the magic items that were in the chest in their hideout?
>>
>>51372856
What do you want sorcerers to be carbon copies of wizards, with different schools and so on? never going to happen, as they access magic instinctually rather than through learning
>>
>>51372192
>>51369369
To be honest, these tools help me run pretty much completely improvised sessions for a few weeks now. Can't describe how grateful I am to anon's selfless work.
Why are you the first one to make such a complete and well-designed tool, I wonder? Most of those who tried came up with utterly, utterly shitty, useless and complicated pieces of crap. Megaanon though - sleek, simple and soo rich in functionality.
>>
>>51372775
The only true blaster sorcerer is fighter sorlock, and that is without a doubt on par with wizards and bards and the like, if only because they have a powerful one-trick-pony combat ability.

Other than that, shadow sorcerer is kinda overpowered but that just means it makes sorcerer actually viable.
>>
>>51372878
I want sorcerers to be as good of blasters as wizards via archetype features shithead
Which isn't a hard thing to accomplish
Sorcerers and wizards are distinct enough by virtue of their base class features
>>
>>51372872
I don't have magic items found on mobs that they weren't using unless its not size appropriate or not known to them they are magical items.

Because yes, why wouldn't the bandit lord be wearing the magical plate wielding the magical sword.
>>
>>51372872
They don't, but if they did, I'd tell them some combination of:

>didn't realise what it did
>feared it
>infighting if one of them got to use it
>worshipped the item
>couldn't use it
>limited uses so they keep it in storage and didn't get to it in time
>>
Anons? Would a "Portal Door" magic item that follows all of the normal rules for a Portable Hole, but the resultant extradimensional space is equivalent to that created by Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, be overpowered?
>>
>>51372872
Nope, 'cause it doesn't happen in my game.
Tbh, it says it right there in the DMG in the treasure chapter - if there's magic items in the hoard, it's implied that an enemy that can use them will be using them instead of just stockpiling.
>>
>>51372887
>>51372775
Oh and favoured soul and sorcererpaladin aren't bad either.
>>
>>51372899
Sorcpal isn't a blaster, and isn't a fullcaster.
If you go to 6 you're a buff monkey, and if you go to 11 you're a paladin with a few more spells and spellslots.
>>
>>51372891
>Which isn't a hard thing to accomplish
Then do it yourself like you said you would.
Stop complaining here, you stupid faggot.
Go make your own.
>>
>>51372872
When it comes to magic items, I don't bullshit around.

The monster holds the magic item. If it's a limited use item, I might make sure to point it out to the players even if I don't explicitly tell them what it is, so they can stop the guy from using it before it's used up.

Also, sometimes, there might be a good reason the monster isn't using it.
>Gee, DM, why wasn't that shieldguy using the magic shield they have in the back room?
>Gee, player, I guess I'm just a shitty DM!
>Gee, DM, I'll put the shield on and be on my way now
>Gee, player, can't you take a fucking hint it's CURSED?
>>
>>51372896
As a Legendary it definately wouldn't. As a Very Rare it probably wouldn't either.
>>
>>51372891
Then be fucking patient, or do it yourself, quit shitting up the thread.
>>
>>51372909
If you go to 2 you only lose one spellcasting level over normal sorcerer, though you're two away from learning spells.

That said, with paladin and warlock, you're either using metamagic points, suing spellslots as metamagic points or smiting, so you don't necessarily need to cast spells a lot.
>>
>>51372915
WotC sucks Grognard cock
>>
>>51372918
>>51372929
and so do you
>>
>>51372929
You're just here to shitpost, aren't you?
>>
>>51372936
You're here to be salty aren't you?
>>
>>51372931
Why'd you link me? I just asked him a question and was prepared to let this lie but saying I suck cock when all I said after the question was to be patient and stop shitting up the thread, is bullshit.
>>
>>51371956
I told him that it's basically just a smaller Warforged to me, but he doesn't seem to care.

Also how's this party looking? I'm not sure if I should stick with my current class to make sure my team doesn't get fucked over or not.

Player 1:
>Lizardfolk Revised Hunter Ranger, Colossus Slayer, dual-wielding
Player 2:
>VHuman Champion Fighter, using nets and pike, Tunnel Fighter style, and Polearm Master
Player 3:
>Wyrwood! Bard, unknown what college he's aiming for
Me:
>Normal Half-Elf Alchemist

Honestly, I'm not sure I want to use an Alchemist, but I don't know what else could be fun to use, especially since I'm seemingly locked in to a ranged role, here.
>>
>>51372966
What's wrong with sucking cock bro? What are you, some kind of Grognard?
>>
>>51372966
>>51372939
>>51372936
>>51372931
>>51372929

Popcorn anyone?
>>
>>51372213
> Booming Blade + Fancy Footwork
Booming Blade + Mobile feat
>>
>>51372985
Nothing inherently, it's just not something that I do.
>>
>>51373000
What are you, gay?
>>
>>51372966
> taking 4chan this seriously
>>
>>51372981
Go forge cleric and laugh at their attempt to melee? diviner wizard is always good.
>>
>>51373007
No, a straight man, I thought that was clear?
>>51373010
Nah, I'm just fucking with him.
>>
>>51373007
MSM isn't gay, bro.
>>
File: heavun.gif (134KB, 221x221px) Image search: [Google]
heavun.gif
134KB, 221x221px
>>51371829
>do you believe in gravity?
>>
>>51373028
Do not let the >>/pol/ get to you anon!
>>
>>51373011
If I wanted a Wizard, honestly I'd probably use that homebrew Tactician that someone made, since the DM's not turning the stuff down, and I admit I'm not sure how "support" oriented Diviner/Wizard is, especially with something as seemingly-important as healing.

And for Forge Cleric, I gotta point out that it seems like the only person in the group that might NOT be meleeing other than me is the Bard. Also, an odd thing about Clerics is that in his setting, contact with divine powers or their more demonic counterparts is nigh-on impossible because of reasons, so it's generally described as instead drawing their spells from the elemental planes and such
>>
>>51373011
Not him but I'd never really given Forge Cleric a look until now. Is it just me or is it pretty bonkers? It seems to be pushing against the bounded accuracy a little bit.
>>
>>51372601
Poison or necrotic damage?
>>
File: 1409113099442.gif (2MB, 260x446px) Image search: [Google]
1409113099442.gif
2MB, 260x446px
>>51372670
Don't worry about it, as long as they're having fun.

Objectively autistic cunts are the ones that complain about railroading, the type that want to RP their loli fantasies. Most players just want a fun story and to roll some dice.
>>
>>51373045
Mystic then?
>>
>>51373050
Not as much as Bladesinger though.
>>
>>51373045
>and I admit I'm not sure how "support" oriented Diviner/Wizard is, especially with something as seemingly-important as healing.

Diviner wizard is more of the support that makes sure damage doesn't really happen in the first place by battlefield control/debuffing. It is incredibly strong when you get to 5th level and above aswell as you can effectively change fate by overwriting two rolls a day, regardless of what roll it is and who it is that makes the roll.
>>
>>51373100
The difference is Forge Clerics get to be a cool gruff blacksmith guy with a hammer.

Bladesingers are little wizards with toothpick weapons.
>>
>>51373053
why not both?

DESU, It depends on your idea for the campaign,
>>
>>51373092
Game will probably be starting before they're released. Or is my knowledge wrong?
>>51373105
I guess that's a fair point, then again aside from the "HAHA no, fuck you have this roll" thing I don't really see much of appeal for it.
>>
>>51373109
we're talking about bonker AC.
Forge Cleric can get up to 22 AC (without magic item), while bladesinger can get up to 23 (or 24 with dual wielder)
>>
>>51373136
use mystic take 2? You party already have wisdom guy and charisma guy. You need INT guy.

Also Wizard is excellent support. Why heal people when you can just Polymorph them into Giant Ape and instantly give them 157 hp?
>>
>>51373138
Honestly I thought the 1 level dip for +1 Attack and Damage, Spellcasting and Heavy Armour was a pretty good deal for someone like a Strength Rogue or Ranger.
>>
Here's an out there idea /5eg/, tell me you think: martials can expend stamina (something similar to spell points) and be able to "cast" true strike, cat's grace, bull's strength, etc. It's their physical prowess causing it to come into effect though and not magic.
>>
>>51373045
>>51373105
Blade-pact Warlock

Summon a Flintlock Musket.

Summon it as free-action

Fire

dismiss as free action.

Fuck reloading bitches! Just summon at beginning of next turn!
>>
>>51372505
Well, considering being submerged in lava is only maybe 18d6 or something, I suppose an atomic bomb is about 10d6?
>>
>>51373166
> 5e
> free action
Why don't you go back to /pfg/. Also you should actually read PHB before you talking shit next time.
>>
>>51373166
It takes an action to conjure it though
>>
>>51373155
It's not that much difference than a dip in War Domain or Immortal mystic though.
>>
File: Reaper_portrait.png (359KB, 721x665px) Image search: [Google]
Reaper_portrait.png
359KB, 721x665px
>>51373166
>>
>>51373166
Hilarious, but I don't think that works, but admittedly an Undying Light warlock was something I've been tempted to try and do
>>51373147
I guess that's a point.
Fuck, though, Mystic Take 2 sounds strong as all fuck.
>>
File: 1460465603985.gif (405KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
1460465603985.gif
405KB, 300x167px
>Planning dungeoncrawler.
>tfw goal of campaign is initially to get all the gold in dungeons.
>Dungeons have an entry fee, it's hard to long rest inside.
>You don't have to kill monsters at all, you just need to get the treasures.
>You can negotiate with intelligent monsters, taking hostages and selling them back at ransom, intimidating them out of fighting, trading or doing favours for them.
>You can also try to sneak past them, deceive them, steal and run, trap them.
>Or fight them until their morale breaks and intimidate them off and hope they don't come back.
>Try to find other ways around monsters, fool them into walking into their own traps, find ways to turn them in on themselves or cause chaos amongst themselves.
>Or kill them.

What's the betting players just try to murder the shit out of everything in a full frontal mindless charge, get gradually roughed up and have to leave the dungeon before they've even earnt back their entry fee?
This isn't a 'there are some monsters that you can't beat!' but rather a 'you're better off not fighting because then you have more health for later' deal.
>>
>>51373225
I don't rely on my players ever doing anything I expect
>>
File: flamethrower_by_vadozzer-d6a5oro.jpg (350KB, 1240x1111px) Image search: [Google]
flamethrower_by_vadozzer-d6a5oro.jpg
350KB, 1240x1111px
So I'll be playing a one shot game in modern setting.

How's this sound for a level 6 character?

Class : Sun soul monk
Race: Lizardfolk
Stats (at level 6) : 8 16 16 10 16 10

Fluff Ki as Energy Tank. Step of wind and slow fall is a Jet booster backpack.
Stunning strike is a stungun.
Radiant sun strike is a megaman style blaster
Searing arc strike is a flamethrower
>>
>>51373164
Kinda neat, but you'd have to make it distinct enough.
Otherwise it still is just casting buffs on themselves, even if you say it isn't magic.
>>
>>51373296
Thanks dude, how would you make the distinction?
A really easy way out would be to just take the spells as is but make the mechanism of casting not be a spell effect. But that'd be a cop out.
>>
So a friend invited me to a game he played a bit before but I never played 5e but I have great deal of experience with games like shadowrun/gurps.

What I wanted to ask is does 5e have a good deal of character options for around the start and later on? I know that 3.5 (or I have been told) doesn't really have that much depending on your class but still wanted to ask.
>>
>>51373503
>I know that 3.5 (or I have been told) doesn't really have that much depending on your class

5e is pretty basic when it comes to RAW customisation. If you go by the original PHB and nothing else, you'll get a race with a choice of maybe three subraces, and a class with 3 specialisations at level 3 (+ multiclassing).

It's designed to be a lot more simple than previous versions of D&D, but the idea is that a lot hinges on your DM. They may offer homebrew options and you can pull in quite a bit from the Unearthed Arcana, Swords Coasts Adventurer's Guide, and Volo's Monsters.
>>
>>51373296
I think that's actually what he's going for and solves the lack of versatility of a martial, the fucker.
>>
>>51373437
Not him, but you could potentially strip out the magical options/rework them, rather than rely on changing the martial ones.

i.e. give the mages something more utility-based/AoE in exchange for the martials getting the physical sides.
>>
>>51373592
Please elaborate more, good sir.
>>
>>51373164
Don't fall into 4e's line of making everything so similar.

People who don't want to manage resources should play a rogue or champion or whatever, you shouldn't force resources onto them unless it's part of an archetype or something.

Thtiat said, it's not a bad idea to add on at-will utilities to a martial that they don't necessarily need to use, but have the option of using. Things like the battlemaster being able to analyze somebody's ability - they can use it out of combat if they want to try to judge how good an NPC character is, which might help them decide if the party should mess with them or not, that sort of thing.
>>
>>51373568
I see thanks I know that its his first time dming and I'm helping him in anyway I can without knowing what he wanted to do for the game.

My next but harder question in this case is would it be possible play a duelist/swashbuckler type of character with out pulling out too much homebrew? I know off the top of my head I might have to play a rouge to get something close to what I might be looking for but I never really liked the idea of me not being able to hold my own in combat without someone holding my hand.
>>
>>51370173
Ancient sentient golems that want to record each species impact on the world.

Super benevolent, some people thought they were the gods. Chill out near tranquil places and use scrying magic all day every day.
>>
>>51373652
Swashbuckler is in the game as a rogue archetype. It's in Sword Coast Adventurers Guide
>>
>>51372601
Probably would make an increasing difficult CON save instead of poison damage.
The DC is 25/ (Distance away the Character is standing from the Blast center in miles)
If you fail the save you get 1d10 necrotic damage for each point you failed
You get to do the same test again with the same DC-1 after an hour and DC-2 after 2 and so on until either you die or you survive with cancer.
>>
>>51373652
Rogue actually has a Swashbuckler archetype option at level 3 if your DM's happy to use SCAG (Sword's Coast).

It's one of the better archetypes, particularly if you want a more 1v1 rogue with decent charisma. I think it could fit what you're looking for pretty well.

>>51373626
Well, if you assign True Strike etc. to the martial class as a stamina-based power (and maybe refluff the name so as not to confuse people who know the spells), you could remove it from the magic players' spell lists entirely, and instead give them versions that affect the whole party/a broader aspect (e.g. magical True Strike gives advantage to whichever attack is first against target, rather than just your attack).

It'd cause a bit of power creep I think as everyone in the party gets a bit more utility, but if you creep the enemies accordingly, I think it could work.

It'll be a bit of effort, but if you're already prepared to institute a stamina system, you're signing up for some homebrewing from the start.
>>
File: 1459622380894.jpg (93KB, 529x386px) Image search: [Google]
1459622380894.jpg
93KB, 529x386px
>>51373682
I see thanks
>>
>>51373503
The game encourage you to change the class fluff while keeping the same game mechanic.

Like if you want to play a samurai, you could represent that with oath of the crown paladin.
>>
>>51373711
I go talk to him about it and see what happens have a nice night.
>>
>>51370173
it's just you as a race
>>
>>51373652
duelist would be swashbuckler rogue multiclass with battlemaster fighter (for riposte)
>>
>>51373690
That'll work too.

I was just putting an idea out there to answer anon.

DESU, I would handle it descriptively.
>>
What's the Blair Witch in dnd 5e terms?
>>
>>51373762
DM being a Dick...
>>
>>51373690
Scratch that i got a better idea:
Every round you stand in the irradiated zone DC 25/(Distance away the Character is standing from the Blast center in miles) CON save, if you fail you get 1 CON damage for each 5 points you failed. If you manage to escape safely you still have to do saves with Original DC-5 the first hour, DC-10 the second and so on, if you fail you get 1 CON damage. If you survive all this you then have to make an Original DC CON save every month or get 1 CON damage due to cancer.
>>
>>51373711
Nah, just modify and rename the "same" spells and keep them in the spellcasters lists. Have the "spells" for the martial effect sightly different outcomes to the similarly themed spell, if that makes sense.
>>
>>51373799
Nice one, what would you need to be immune to the damage?
>>
>>51371940
>Booming Blade + Cunning action is better than TWF. Especially if you use a familiar's help action to help you land that sneak attack.
Booming Blade + Cunning action is better than TWF only if you use a familiar's help action to help you land that sneak attack.

Otherwise, it's not obvious whether more chances to land sneak attack is better than more possible damage on a less accurate attack.
>>
>>51373711
Is cat's grace or bull's strength even a thing in 5e anymore? If not, then that problem of duplicating spells has already been solved.
>>
>>51373864
Sort of. All of those spells were replaced by Enhance Ability.
>>
>>51373799
Sounds good to me.
>>
>>51373868
Ah, I see now, thanks mate. You could have it so what a martial gets is similar but also has more of a martial bent, bull's strength bestows advantage on Str checks and melee weapon attacks and damage, and grants other nifty things at higher levels. See below.
A burst of strength could mean your character lifts the heavy iron porticuliius as another example.
>>
>>51373845
less accurate?
>>
>>51373845
If you have advantage or a very accurate attack, rapier + booming blade / green flame blade is almost always way better.
>>
At what level would you say any given magic-user becomes world-altering?

Is it different across classes?

What spells (aside from Wish) turn an Eldritch Blasting Warlock into an unstoppable walking god?

What would a Warlock need in order to challenge an actual deity 1v1 and win?
>>
>>51374264
Depend on your definitiom pf world altering.

A wizard could alter world economy via fabricate at level 4.
>>
>>51374278
I more have in mind reality-warping.
>>
Help me out, /5eg/, after the end of our current game we are playing a goblinoid campaign and I made a goblin thief and I need a name and I have zero ideas. I rarely ask the elegan/tg/entlmen for anything, any ideas?
>>
>>51374390
Just make a random throat noise, that will be the name you are looking for.
>>
>>51374427
He's a expat living in skullport with eighteen int. I'd like something slightly more than a throaty noise. But it was my own fault for not giving you that info, sorry.
>>
>>51374390
>Asdrogej Begil
>Haddar Bruck
>Das Dardar
>Sma Nipt

Looking over the lists of existing goblins, they don't seem to have much in the way of a naming convention, so largely >>51374427
seems accurate.

>>51374437
>Elvo Carden
>Gobdric Slytten
>>
First time GMing and or experiencing 5e but I've played a lot of D&D, mostly 3.5e, and other roleplaying games in the past.

How tough am I gonna find it to tool a lich to fight a party of 3 around level 6 or 7.
>>
>Tfw our party is gonna be Fighter, Barbarian, melee ranger, and melee Bard
Should I go balls to the wall and play a Paladin, or round them off with a Wizard or Warlock? I'm leaning towards Warlock
>>
>>51374466
what kinda personality are you thinking for the Warlock?

because the answer is Paladin. Go full knights of the round table.
>>
>>51374454
Adjust on the fly based on how combat flows, retool him into a Proto/Low Lich. Set it up as maybe a 9/10 Wizard with a necromantic flare.
>>
>>51374445
Hm. Kind of like Gobdric Slytten. IT'S A START! Thankee.
>>
>>51374498
even all my time GMing 3.5 ive actually never understood CR.

Is CR21 totally acceptable for that party? I thought CR was "Party of 4 of this average level"
>>
>>51374514
CR21 will murderhobo your current party, unless they have a magic macguffin.
>>
>>51374514
Pretty sure no one has ever really understood CR, including the people that wrote it.
>>
How would you describe a wizard using a pair of magical gloves casting his spells? Naruto handsigns? Clapping and snapping? Tracing/drawing symbols in the air?
>>
>>51374519
Oh CR21 will fucking annihlate them right now. They're all Level 1. I'm trying to finish off the BBEG and some of the important cronies first because they're going to meet him well before he plans on killing them.

I'm reading into how CR works and I think I can make him work at level 7. I just gotta play my hand as DM cautiously.
>>
>>51374535
Just adjust on the fly, prepare some NPC on the side to swoop in and save them, should things go sideways. Should it be a TKP, go for the old 'well we are captured in a prison dungeon now' cliche.
>>
>>51374541
oh shit good idea.

Thanks for the ideas man, I'm gonna start working on my notes for next week, and planning out his encounter in a few weeks.
>>
>>51374514
CR 20 means that a party of four level 20s will find that a medium encounter. At least that's how it should be but there are a lot of variables that change difficulty despite numbers not necessarily reflecting it.
Like action economy.
>>
>>51374477
Undying Light Warlock. Gods are mostly sealed away from the setting, so they mostly draw power from the planes to cast divine spells anyways. Idea for the Warlock would be that he, in fact, managed to strike a bargain/partnership with an angel that found a loophole.

And ooh, how I want to, but I already have an idea for a Paladin, and it doesn't fit in with the thing I agreed with with another player about our PC's. Namely, they'll be some sort of relatives or traveling friends
>>
>>51369666
Because you Satan trip'd, use Stances from KOTOR 2 to give bonuses to combat based on enemy composition, it gives them something to think about besides "I hit person with stick and wait for my next turn"
>>
>>51371406
I run all my games in Zakhara where there is no racial disharmony. Dwarves, Elves, and even full-blooded Orcs get along just peachy-keen in Al-Qadim. Gods bless the Grand Caliphate.
>>
>>51371406
>two newbies to D&D
>one's an elf
>the others a dwarf
>try and spark some racial tension between them
>they don't take the bait
fuck. oh well.
>>
How do you deal with a Cleric that uses spirit guardians with a high con save that does something such as 'dodge'? Consdering they have good wis, con and dex saves in that situation, as well as hard to hit in terms of AC.

Do you just have hit-and-run sorts of monsters or something that fucks up people trying to get into melee range? But that'd screw over the meleegoers, too.
>>
>>51373164
What is superiority dice?
>>
File: partydwarf.jpg (103KB, 700x546px) Image search: [Google]
partydwarf.jpg
103KB, 700x546px
>>51374641
They were too good at RPing for you. They know that adventurers are generally less prejudiced than their dumbfuck rural peasant counterparts, due to their need to move around and work with a wide variety of people and cultures. Having been exposed to numerous members of other races in non-antagonistic settings and social situations, they have rid themselves of many learned biases, unconscious and otherwise.

All men are equal if they can help you stab goblins in the gut and find more money (even once split) in a single two-hour session than farmers make in their lifetimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0
>>
>>51374653
Spellcasters throw Dex-save spells at his dumb ass.

Enemy dorks can take Magic Initiate, too.
>>
>>51374653
The answer is always Magic Missile.
>>
>>51374701
They have advantage on dex saves while dodging. God forbid they also have a charisma paladin nearby for +5 to saves.

Still, it could work in the window of oportunity before they dodge, if you force them to dash or make a chance somehow.
>>
>>51374653
magic missile to get a free hit. Dispel magic. Attack from range. Focus fire. Kiting the cleric.

Gotta get creative.
>>
>>51374713
You're now playing in a Psionic campaign. Half the enemies know Thought Spear, which is an Int save cantrip.

You can also cast non-Dex spells on them and use alternative Attack options like shove and grapple, neither of which requires an attack check. Knock the Cleric to the ground, negating disadvantage on melee attacks against him, and then repeatedly bash his stupid fucking skull into the cobblestones.
>>
>>51374708
I was just thinking that, but then 'oh, it won't do a lot of damage'

..But, then, think about it -
5*(1d4+1) level 3 magic missile.
5d4+5, 17.5...No, they'll make that con save.

What I think I overlooked though was fireballs and such do damge regardless of if they hit.
8d6, halved, 4d6, average 14.. That's still not a very strong con save, though.
Guess it'd have to be a really powerful magic missile or really powerful fireball.

>>51374722
>dispell magic
Actually a solution, though they can pop it up again for at least 6d8 damage the next turn if they have more spell slots.

>attack from range, kiting
That's just going to annoy all of the melee players, though.

>focus fire
Focusing fire on a guy in heavy armour with good con and disadvantage to all attacks made against them because they're dodging? Probably not the best idea if there's easier targets around, but I guess they are the healer.
>>
>>51374741
>shove and grapple
Now this is what I like to hear. I'll make sure to consider strength saves, too.
>int saves
Also a yes.
>>
>>51374748
Use the terrain against them. If we are talking an Ambush scenario, pitfalls and snare traps are a thing.
>>
>>51374775
The main problems with this stuff it it's all into categories of 'how to fuck over all the melee players'

However, since the cleric is going to be wasting ASIs and feats and such on their con saves and save DC, fighters have lots of extra feats to take mobile, monks are fast, rogues are fast.. Even barbarians are faster than Clerics. That could work now I think about it, if players are versatile enough.

If it's a matter of raw speed, it might into turn into 'we have to fuck over the melee players at every corner or else the cleric runs in and sits there with spirit guardians dodging lots'. Oh, I guess the monsters can scatter too so it's hard to fit too many of them in one AoE.
>>
>>51374748
>lvl 3 magic missile
What is the con bonus? +9? the minimum con save is 10.
>kiting annoys melee
who cares? monsters are smart. Players need to adapt. If the players realize the monsters wont get close to the spirit guardians, maybe they will use it less. Arrows raining down on the PC's from above. etc.

>Focus fire
Monsters are smart. They will try to win and take out casters or healers if they see they are problems, not be dazzled by the massive wall of muscle that is a paladin or barbarian.
>
>>
>>51374808
With resilient(con) from variant human or something, starting with 16 con and putting another +1 into con at some point, that'd give 18 con with still some space for them to up their wisdom.

At level 5, that's a con save of 7. At level 13, a con save of +9.
God forbid they get warcaster at some point.

If monsters are smart, why are they attacking the guy with about 20 AC who they have disadvantage against? Do you know how hard that is to hit? Even attacking the goddamn paladin is less hopeless. Of course, if the cleric has to take a turn to use an action to dash or cast spirit guardians, it leaves them with a turn where they're not dodging when they can make a more effective attack. As other anon suggested though, shoving them and proning them to make their dodge ineffective would work out.

Just remembered though, dodge doesn't work against unseen attacks.

And as for melee players.. I guess. It'd be a bit of a shame if somebody rolled up a GWM fighter who has less range and is just as slow as the cleric only for them to struggle to get into range, because they can't really adapt much. But then I guess that's what you get for playing a rather inflexible character.
>>
ok how can i make encounters more fun and exciting? specifically combat, im having way too much of an issue with stale combat and no climactic build up.

additionally how much of my worlds should i be describing? i try to leave it to my players to explore while telling them all that they can currently see (not showing secrets or anything
>>
>>51374876
You need Tucker's Kobolds.
>>
File: 1371545335487.png (2MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1371545335487.png
2MB, 1024x1024px
>>51374900
And have they screwed anyone of influence lately? Poisoning food/drink, disease, some malefic curse to grant disadvantage, anything of some such nature.
>>
>>51373261
Monks having a negative strength mod makes me reeeeeeeeeeee. Even if they're primarily about dex, a character based on physical discipline being weaker than an average peasant upsets me.
>>
>>51374748
counterspell them on the next turn.
>>
>>51375119
I mean, you could argue that they started off much weaker than an average peasant, but learned martial arts as a way to compensate.

It'd have to be a real wimpy lizard though.
>>
>>51374748
use teamwork? help action to negate dodge bonus? hiding, obscure vision, cover and other stuff that did the same thing?
>>
>>51375126
Counterspell is a pretty cheap and un-fun way to counter casters. It's pretty much just saying 'No, you can't do what you want because, uhh.. I guess there's another spellcaster here'.

Disspell magic is at least a bit fairer, or having something similar to these two like a slowly moving area of anti-magic.
>>
Hey, how come there's like, no magic bows other than Oathbow? How do I show my good guy ranger in the group some love?

>>51369107

Barovia is my shit
>>
>>51375119
That's why I don't like point buy or standard array. PCs are exceptional in their setting. They can have weaknesses but shouldn't need to have weaknesses, and weaknesses can manifest in lack of proficiencies instead of on the raw ability scores.
>>
>>51375263
> not having counterspell war with DM
>>
>>51369369

the bestiary alone has saved my exam season

Thanks Anon
>>
>>51373136
Take 3 unfortunately Is taking until Feb to be released at the earliest
>>
>>51375254
It's a wis save, so partial cover doesn't work. Not sure if full cover works, but it might.
Using the help action is inefficient when you could just make two attacks instead.
Obscuring vision won't do anything to stop them from damaging with spiritual guardians as they'll still know where to go, but it would mean that they can counter dodge.

So I guess the best way is to probably counter dodge by having people hide behind cover before attacking for advantage+ignoring dodge.

>>51375286
>The DM making you waste even more spellslots every time you try to cast
>DM making you unable to do things if you aren't willing to give up spellslots
>>
>>51375281
Make something. You don't have to use just what's in the DMG.

t. "tell me your character concept and I'll tell you what I'd give you"-fag
>>
>>51375282
Are you implying that rolling for stat is any better? Because I don't think that's what you're implying.
>>
>>51375322
No, I'm saying 5e's ability score generation methods as presented in the PHB are stingy as fuck and stifle character building as opposed to encouraging it. They should have at least presented some different tiers of point buy or array. I like rolling for stats though.
>>
As an Eldritch Knight, is it better to go duelist with a longsword so I have a free hand for my hand wavy stuff?
>>
>>51375341
You can take a hand off of your greatsword to cast. You only need two hands when you're actually swinging it.
>>
>>51375321

I suppose I could, I was just wondering if there was any reasoning behind it, or something I have missed
>>
>>51375350
Could I go sword and board with a shield actually strapped to my arm?
>>
>>51375316
I'm talking about dodge. Tackle your problem one at a time anon.

Also full cover does stop spell Area of Effect (PHB pg.209).

You could also try to nuclear druid or evoker magic missile.
>>
>>51375365
5e rules say a shield takes a hand to manipulate. What you're describing is one of the reasons to take War Caster.
>>
>>51375335
Well, if they redesigned the system so that stats weren't crucial number buffs that can double your damage with an extra +2 then there might be an alternative.Going back to the days where you needed 17 chrarisma to be a paladin.

But, as it stands, point buy as per the PHB is the only fair way to do it right now.
>>
>>51375385
Tell me what presenting a 32 or 34 point buy as an option would break. Leave the 15 cap in.
>>
>>51375365
Not this shit again. No, you can't.

you need to CARRIED IT IN ONE HAND to get +2 AC.
>>
>>51375397
Well, if you're leaving the cap in, it won't do an awful lot of bad. Mostly just means everybody is likely to take 3 15s or 2 15s and a 14 or 3 15s and a 13, which is actually kind of fairer because now you don't have to sacrifice critical stats (like monk needs wis/dex/con) in order to increase less important stats.

Yeah, I'd probably increase the point buy to maybe 30 to 32. Caps stay as-is. It just sounded like you wanted the cap removed.
>>
>>51375397
All monsters in the game are design based on standard array. This mean you will have to redo all the CR calculation, increasing more workload for the DM.

Although, persoanlly, I think 30 PB with "no stat can be lower than 10" is a good spot.
>>
>>51372891
Sorcerers get blasting upgrades earlier and with solid intensity. For most of the game, empower and dragon affinity or storm thunder or wild surges are the only "more powerful" blasting features. Evokers can blast in more situations, but it's high level before they can blast as hard or harder.
>>
>>51375383
Thank you.
>>
>>51375436
Yeah I've DMed enough to see the wisdom in the 15 cap at creation, I just hate how standard PB is so punishing to classes like monk, ranger, blade warlocks, etc. that need multiple good attributes to be viable.

>>51375439
Or you just use slightly more hard and deadly encounters like I do. No extra work.
>>
Does anyone have the link to the DMs Guild mega trove? It used to be in the OP copypasta -- dunno what happened as I haven't been here in a while.
>>
Has anyone ever run a game with the Planeshift Zendikar setting? Or any other M:TG setting at all?

I think Ravnica could be fun, and Phyrexia could be an awesome setting.
>>
>>51375479
got taken down and no one has bothered to put it back up.
>>
>>51375472
I wouldn't call it punishing. Monk can still easily get 15 wis, 15 con, 15 dex. It's just they're left with 8 cha/str/int and while they hardly need those stats it makes them partially feel metagamey and partially it's just.. A bit silly to have -1 in all the dump stats and non-monk-relevant stats. It's not really fun to be stat-wise socially inept, stupid AND weak to be decent at monk.

So, not 'punishing', just restrictive.
>>
>>51369064
A quick rules question please? Is it possible for a spellcaster to cast other non-concentration spells, while maintaining the concentration of a different spell?

For example, using concentration to maintain wall of force, then using firebolt to peck at other people.
>>
>>51375574
Yes, that is possible. Concentration is meant to keep you from stacking too many effects at once, not to keep you from casting any other spells.
>>
To what extent is the Dungeon Master's Manual vital for a DM?

I've looked through it online and while it has some good ideas, it doesn't look like it has any rules or anything that are necessary that aren't already included in the PHB.
>>
>>51375605
It exists to tell new DMs about the improvisational nature of DMing mostly. If you already know how to DM, you don't need it.
>>
>>51375637
Cool, that's fine. I've DM'd other stuff and I'm thinking about doing 5e, but I don't know the rules all that well yet. Then I read some of the DM Manual and realised I knew most of it already.
>>
>>51375605
As said by other anon, it'll help give you inspiration and tell you how to set out montser stats.

Beyond that, you don't need it, but it's a good resource if you need to say 'okay, quickly, I need a goblin for this sudden improvized encounter but I don't want to bullshit stats up'
>>
>>51375662
Just remember that 5e is stingy about magic item.
>>
>>51369653
Who knows, though the book only holds a small portion of the implied setting, and it was fun to read.
>>
>>51375605
The magic item list is nice and some of the recommended systems for things like downtime and stuff is useful if you can't think of how to handle it for a party that wants it. But it's definitely more for new DMs.
>>
>>51375662
The most useful parts as an experienced DM were optional rules for stuff like disarming and the monster creation/customization guidelines.

If you can remember to resolve stuff with ability checks when you're not sure of the outcome, you won't need the book at all. Customizing monsters isn't necessary unless you're getting bored and want to spice things up.

>>51375683
It's stingy about direct combat power magic items. Neat stuff like the Immovable Rod and the Decanter of Endless Water are fun items you can safely give out that won't unbalance the game.
>>
>>51375662
>>51375671
Whoops,I thought you said Monster Manual, not Master Manual

DM's guide is completely unnecessary, even less so than the monster manual. But you can always read it a bit, it does have a few suggestions and some pretty shitty magic items (Except alchemy jug, alchemy jug is cool).
>>
>>51375683
So no handing out Book of Vile Darkness and Deck of Many Things at level 3, then? :^)
>>
>>51375757
Sure you can, if you want to drive home the fact that your world is one where even fucking goblins could have hold of items that could entirely erase the world just because the holder of said item was bored.

>every hour of in-game time, roll a 1d20. On a 1, some faggot somewhere in some universe, plane or on the same planet as you decided to erase the universe. Everybody loses immediately.
>>
>>51375806
Jokes aside, that gives me an idea for a campaign. A world where something has changed due to someone's magical fuck-up-ery with one of the reality-warping artifacts, and only the party notices the difference.
>>
>>51375829
>Humans are on the brink of extinction
>Towns of goblins and monsters is perfectly normal
>Remains of a civilization that was once known to the players, with hazy memories, but they know for sure everything's not right.
>Towns treat humans with suspicion as if they're some rare unusual race, but you can generally get around. Players have to get to the bottom of the problem somehow.
>Players eventually realize somebody tried to destroy the entirety of the past, but the artefact wasn't strong enough and instead it fucked up half the planet, which was then taken over by the other half where only mostly monsters resided. Players can work out what point in time things fucked up by finding the latest human ruins, have to find some way to secure the artefact in the present or the past and un-fuck things.

Fun
>>
Would Rorschach from Watchmen have been a paladin?
>>
Is the ritual casting feat worth it for a paladin, and if I get it should I grab cleric or wizard spells?
>>
>>51375906
Multiclassed with rogue.
>>
>>51375906

You could make an arguement for vengeance. A strong arguement, but even vengeance involves doing good and charitable acts, which really wasn't his thing. Borderline in my opinion. I personally don't think he makes the cut, but im sure there are people who'd disagree with me.
>>
>>51375968
I just found his little thing at the end of the comics where he would rather die than not DEUS VULT FOR TRUTH very paladin-esque.
>>
>>51375993

And that's fair. Like I said, it's just my opinion. A paladin will kill. Certain flavors of paladin may be merciless. All paladins have strong convictions. So I can see why people would say he is, but personally I think a defining element of the class is helping people. Even vengeance paladins help people, says so in their oaths if I recall correctly. Rorschach wasn't really about helping people, I mean yeah he "helped" the community, but that was less helping them and more feeding his obsession. Your never gonna see rorschach rebuilding a destroyed town or looking after orphans. He just doesn't swing that way, and I see even the most hard boiled paladin as the kind of person who would stop to help people in need, but that's just my interpretation and I understand it's not "right" persee and that others may see it differently than I do and that's fine. And that end wasn't so much deus vult as just plain stubbornness really. It's not like rorschach was religious or thought he was doing God's will.
>>
>>51375924
Yes. Wizard for familiar and tiny hut.
>>
What do you guys think about being able to use your reaction to shove an ally out of harms way from a ranged attack?

After realizing an arrow/ray is going to hit your adjacent ally, you could make a reflex? save at 20 or something to react and shove them out of the projectile's trajectory.

Now obviously restrictions would need to be put in place, but that's the general idea at the moment.
>>
>>51376091
>>51375968
>>51375906
I guess he's more like a living Revenant where his 'unfinished business' is 'all crime'.
>>
What race makes the best wizard? Looks like Human, High Elf or Half Elf.
>>
>>51376232
How did you forget gnome?
>>
Guys, i'm torn I have a Swashbuckler + Path of the Chain Warlock. I'm picking up War Caster for Hex and AOO Booming Blades, I just don't know what feat I should take next I only can get one and still keep my main stats maxed....
>Lucky
>Resilient
>Defensive Duelist
>>
>>51375968
Even devotion/ancients paladins aren't bound to do good.

While vengeance hints heavily towards good deeds, there is nothing in there that absolutely requires you to be good.

I'm not saying you're saying they're good, more that while the vengeance oath does require you to help those hurt by those that killed, it doesn't really require you to go far out of your way. You might help those 'wronged' by your vengeance's target simply to spite them and help an uprising and to instill hatred, or they might completely forego rebuilding in order to go smite more.

That said I don't really know what I'm talking about.

>>51376232
Hobgoblins and dwarfs have a slight point to them, aasimar are just overpowered so slightly, yuan-ti are a definite yes but you shouldn't be allowed to play that. Gnome is a good one, high elf is... Eh. Half-elf is kinda eh too. Variant human isn't bad for the free feat and all the many things you could do with that.
>>
>>51376249
Fuck gnomes.

>>51376275
Everyone said half elf was busted. What makes Assymars good?
>>
Minor Illusion or Prestidigitation?
>>
>>51376158

I like it. Now I have a question. What do you all think about specifying how you attack for effect rather than just saying I roll to attack. Things like "I swing low at their legs". If you do this should there be anything special mechanically? Like a chance to knock them prone or cripple and slow them? I know this might be encroaching on battlemasters territory, but I think it would make martials more interesting.
>>
I'm planning on making a Undying Light Bladelock with one or two classes in Paladin. Any advice on how to boost my AC so I'm not killed in the first hit?
>>
>>51376378
Half Elf is ridiculous for Charisma classes. It's not nearly so amazing for anything else.

Aasimar are good because they have 2 uncommon resistances and a daily high-powered ability and a mini-lay on hands.
>>
>>51376453
I've always liked the idea of called shots. When I used to GM pathfinder I wrote up revised rules for called shots that was based on % damage rather than the flat damage the Paizo rules used.

Unfortunately my players were morons and never took advantage of any of it so I'm not sure how mechanically broken it can get.

>but people will just aim for the head

Yea, heads were at -15 modifier and hearts were -20. They had huge damage modifiers if you did hit them
>>
>>51376498
First level in paladin so you get heavy armor proficiency.
>>
>>51376378
Aasimar
>darkvision
>resistance to necrotic
>resistance to radiant
>mini-lay-on-hands
>light cantrip
>once per long rest, for a minute, flight speed and extra damage on spells

Okay, actually, I wouldn't really consider it for wizard. It's still good, but lacking +int on any of the subraces is.. Eh. I'd put aasimar on the same tier as half-elf if not slightly better. It's not quite as OP as I kept thinking it tobe in my mind.

That said, I imagine Aarakokra probably counts as OP in most cases for somebody who stays at range.
>>
>>51376158
I wouldn't put strict rules on it.

Sometimes a player will say 'Well, I want to jump in the way!' and you just make up rules on the spot.

Had a player try it on a rather slow attack. Their roll wasn't great, but I let them split the full damage between them, half-half if I remember right.
>>
>>51376573
Halfling diviner is your only answer.
Maybe 8 INT 16 STR mountain dwarf wizard too.
>>
>>51376268
Resilient Wisdom and Con, if they put a stat up, are fucking fantastic. Con especially with Warcaster.

Defensive duelist eats your reaction, is bad.

Lucky is bad in the "No GM should let you use it." level of broken.

Really though, Keeping your CHA, DEX and CON higher are more important.
>>
>>51376603
Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Brewers Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Magic Weapon, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor elementals, Fire Shield, Arcane Eye, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them. He never understood why spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.
>>
>>51376498
You'd think paladin would work better with sorcerer due to getting bonus action GFB/BB attacks and more spell slots to smite with.

You're better off either being a full paladin or taking a single level of fighter (With +1 AC fighting style) and putting the rest into warlock.

I say that because the only thing bladelock is even decent at is having access to high level spells while doing half-decent melee damage so you might as well multiclass no more than 1 outside of warlock to keep spell progression. Any more than that and you might as well be a tomelock3/paladinX.

Also, polearm mastery with quarterstaff + shield is an option, I guess, though that kinda suggests 'go tomelock for shillelagh!' instead of pact of the blade.
>>
>>51376268
If you can take lucky, take the fuck out of it because it'll let you land sneak attacks / sneak opportunity attacks with those booming blades.
>>
>>51376573
Aracockra are only OP for the first few levels. Their only racial ability is basically to be able to cast a third level spell. Yes, quite unbalanced before third-level spells become commonplace, but not all that egregious after. Particularly considering how extremely vulnerable they become to control spells. Lose control while you're flying and you can take quite a lot of damage. Fly low enough that fall damage won't be a problem and there's little benefit to it.
>>
>>51376431
Minor illusion is for fun.
Prestidigitation is for flavor.
>>
>>51376634
>Really though, Keeping your CHA, DEX and CON higher are more important.

> Half Elf, STR 8, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 17

Resilient won't bump up my Con but it will up my saves and make those concentration checks a lot easier...

>>51376702
Lucky's pretty broken and it's kinda why I want it... at the same time Idk is it still better than upping my stats?
>>
>>51376708
The 'fly' spell also requires an action and concentration, however, and doesn't give you +20ft speed to go along with it.

And if they're a wizard, they can easily take slow fall or something.

Seriously, always-on flight has some pretty severe outdoors tactical implications where you could singlehandedly take out an entire orc platoon if you have spell sniper and eldritch spear and you're a warlock or something.

Of course, that's a very niche use, but eh.

I figure parties need to keep siege weapons with them at all times to take out flying fuckers.
>>
>>51376708
No concentration.
A wizard can either fly or lock down enemies in combat. Arakokra can do both. Fly isn't unbalanced because it isn't all that good any more. Used to be you could have Greater Invisibility, Flight and toss out save or suck spells all over the place. In 5e you get to pick one of those. Arakokra gets two, and that makes them inherently better to wizards, who are already one of the strongest classes.
>>
>>51376757
Fly gives you a 60 ft. fly speed.
>>
>>51376751
Depends how often you get to replenish your lucky dice.

Still, lucky is up to 3 potential extra sneak attacks per day where you otherwise would've failed a sneak.

Dex would increase your save by +1, stealth by +1, damage by +1 (But you only make one attack, so eh) and to-hit by +1... But you can save lucky up for a really big fight and make sure you hit every attack in that big fight, unlike having +1 to hit.

I'd say lucky is just a bit better than upping dex which is better than getting resilient.

>>51376783
Oh, right. It's still concentration, so anyone with a ranged attack can potentially take you out of the sky.
>>
>>51376727
Doesn't that go hand-in-hand?
>>
>>51369320
>Step 1 - Your companion is an Ape
>Step 2 - Give your Ape the Arcana skill
>Step 3 - Have your Druid cast Awaken on it

You now have a talking Ape companion that studies magic and acts independently. Requires a little GM help, but that's how I'd go about convincing them.
>>
>>51376824
>Still, lucky is up to 3 potential extra sneak attacks per day where you otherwise would've failed a sneak.

Wrong. Lucky is not advantage. It's superficially similar, but it does not grant advantage.
>>
>>51376834
Then the ape dies as soon as you encounter a few goblins because ranger companions suck.
>>
File: 1484756218895.png (247KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
1484756218895.png
247KB, 500x411px
So I fucking died and have to roll a new character. I opted to make an Ara Ara necromancer for the first time and am trying to flavor her spells to be more in line with her personality. Any tips for re flavoring spell descriptions when she casts, say, magic missile? I am terrible at coming up with fluff.
I'm using Roll20, if that matters.
>>
>>51376852
You are correct but swashbucklers can get sneak attack about 95% of the time with Rakish Audacity. Its all about hitting so Luck will help a lot with that.

>>51376824
With that in mind I think I will take the Lucky feat I can take the 19 in Dex for it. Who knows maybe I might get a magical increase to my Dex.
>>
>>51376751
Take resilient con, then next level +1CON +1CHA.
>>
Playing D&D is the highlight of most weeks for me, or at least, it's the bit I look forward to if there's nothing else going on.

But since I'm a player and not a DM, what can I do to tide me over? My next game isn't until Saturday but I like planning for it and fiddling with character sheets and stuff, but I've already got my character sorted as much as I want to.
>>
>>51376934
Do some reading and jot down ideas so you can eventually DM sometimes. It's good to have experience from both sides of the table.
>>
>>51376852
As >>51376914 said, it's a case of making sure the hits land. Reaction and normal attacks only have one chance to land without advantage and they're high value attacks since they carry both sneak and booming blade.

>>51376914
I wouldn't rely on a magical increase to dex unless your DM's a pushover.

Hmm.. Still, if you get into a lot of combat per long rest you might want to consider dex considering it also boosts AC and all that. But yeah, a lot of DMs don't tend to put enough combats every day, so lucky goes even further.

>>51376934
You could try drawing up dungeons and such in a plan to DM in the future.
>>
File: 0u0.jpg (155KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0u0.jpg
155KB, 1024x1024px
>>51376934
Make other characters on the side. I've been having too much fun building silly characters in between sessions, just to see what I can come up with. I recently made a Rogue Mastermind chef.
She's the cook.
>>
>>51376863
Revised Ranger, Ape is a 20HD in plate barding with 20 strength, con and dex and +6 Proficiency.
>>
>>51376914
>>51376965
I like to be careful about wording, or you get new people thinking Lucky means free sneak attacks because they don't know context.
>>
As the only person in my party with Darkvision as a half-elf, should I as a wizard take Light?
>>
>>51376886
When you magic missile, you blow a kiss as your. The scintillating missile of force are giant spectral lips.
>>
>>51376965
Lucky is 3 extra potential successes.

+2DEX is 5% extra hits, 5% less hits taken, +5% extra chance of success on several skills, +5% extra chance of success on dexterity saving throws, +1 Damage for every single attack you make.

Lucky is great, but stat ups are better, especially on a MAD multiclass.

Grab +2 Dex if you're stabbing folks often, or alternatively +1Con, +1Cha and then ResilientCon.
>>
>>51376886
Magic missiles are now pink tipped cupids arrows that you call your heartbreakers.
>>
>>51377100
>>51377126
Ah man both of these sound good.
Any ideas for say, Chromatic Orb or Ray of Sickness?
>>
>>51377101
They only make one attack a round (two if they make a reaction attack) and the +1 damage pales immensely in comparison to the damage output of sneak attack + booming blade.

Being able to take a few misses on a trivial encounter and save up lucky for a much more important encounter is good. Being able to use lucky when otherwise you'd fuck up stealth and lose an entire surprise round is good. Making sure you land that booming blade as a reaction attack is good.

Sure, especially if you go through many encounters having an extra number on the d20 that hits is good and all the other extras but ultimately lucky will reward you better if you're careful with using it.

If this were the case of, say, a PAM Paladin who makes 3 or 4 attacks a round at level 5, absolutely lucky would not be quite as good when +2 strength would give them +1 damage to every single one of those attacks and a bit of extra chance for every one of those to hit and all that.
>>
>>51377175
Cupid arrows for magic missile, Arakiss for Ray of sickness.
>>
>>51376886

Is she slutty? This is relevant to my ability to fluff stuff.
>>
>>51377207
True, but I don't personally think lucky is worth it on a class that MAD.

If anything, Sentinel will be a great feat, as it gives very frequent reaction attacks assuming you stick close-ish to your team.

Although again, if he is already taking Warcaster, more feats is looking kinda MAD.
>>
File: cover.jpg (898KB, 800x1043px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
898KB, 800x1043px
Is there a Fey themed Druid? How do I play a girl touched by the Feywild?
>>
File: 2405069788_442af2de73.jpg (44KB, 314x333px) Image search: [Google]
2405069788_442af2de73.jpg
44KB, 314x333px
>>51377284
She is not slutty, but she is old (early 40s) and has never married or been in a relationship and is secretly panicking about her diminishing internal clock and lack of a family of her own.
>>
>>51377320
>(early 40s)
>is secretly panicking about her diminishing internal clock and lack of a family of her own

uhhhh unless she's a half-elf or something, her time has passed

Necromancry is appropriate for her dead, barren womb.
>>
>>51377320

Hmm no use of cleavage then...I think chromatic orb should involve batting her eyes somehow.
>>
>>51374062
Yes. That is the purpose of my correction. Do not forget to get advantage before using booming blade, folks.
>>
File: Samus sitting at the computer.png (14KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
Samus sitting at the computer.png
14KB, 500x343px
>>51377354
>>
>>51377298
Yes, it's in the druid UA.

On an unrelated note what's the best familiar including the variants like imp or gazer?
>>
>>51377298
Yeah, unearthed arcana has one.
>>
>>51377388
It's just biology. Necromancy would be an appropriate field of study to try to come up with magical IVF.
>>
>>51375906
>>51375993

No, fuck off, character personalities and beliefs aren't classes

I bet you play every rogue as a cunty dickthief
>>
>>51377354
>>51377415
My mum was in her early 40s when she had me.

I was the first and last, but it still worked.
>>
>>51375316
Dodge also stops working if your movement is restricted, so cast Entangle or some daring soul can grab him.
>>
>>51377291
Well, the only stat they really need is dexterity. A bit of con helps but isn't necessary, charisma isn't very important because you're not going to be eldritch blasting or anything and at most it'll slightly incease green flame blade's secondary damage.

Honestly I'd probably not even bother with warcaster at all, get lucky and up dex. But I guess if they want to play the game of super powerful reaction attacks, it could be fun.
>>
>>51377371
>>
>>51377415
Nobody hits menopause at 40. The only reason having kids after 40 is an issue is because it greatly increases the chance of birth defects like downs.
>>
>>51377454
Autism rates go up as the mother's age goes up. I suppose a necromancer would be more at ease raising another wizard.
>>
>>51377495
Wait a second, you don't even have to shove them.

Simply just grappling solves the problem, huh.

Well, it seems dodge isn't too hard to counter. The real problem then is overcoming the ridiculous con save or minimizing how many targets are affected by the spell.

I think one tactic might be enemies running away sometimes if the entire party pops up buffs straight away.
>>
>>51377509
IVF is a thing because it gets so hard for a woman past 30 to conceive. Fertility starts dropping by 27, but the rate is still high then.
>>
>>51377515
They actually don't go up as the mother's age goes up but as the father's does. Of course that's probably not due to age but due to it being genetic and easier for an autistic girl to get laid than an autistic guy.
>>
>>51377024
You might as well. Your party isn't going to be sneaky in the darkness anyway, and since you're a wizard you don't really need to sneak around to begin with.
Thread posts: 419
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.