[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 39

File: bgg.jpg (828KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
828KB, 1000x1000px
Classic edition; let's try to keep it civil this time shall we?

>What's in the mail?
FFG art sleeves, apparently the lightsaber ones were a limited printing so getting those for SW:Risk protection.
>What's hit your table this weekend?
Hit up the non-gamer siblings with Elder Sign earlier; theme went over well and they dug the component quality. Still not my favorite Yatzhee clone but since I got it in a math trade last August I've been meaning to get it played at least once.
>Any new games on your radar?
World of Yoho looked interesting from the Dice Tower review I watched last week, been waiting to see a new app based game after XCom.

Last thread turned abomination >>44791566
Pastebin http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

>>44841922
If you're just getting into the hobby Twilight Struggle is prolly not your best bet. It's at the top of BGG rankings because the people who will play it adore the game, so they rank it highly. Those who won't enjoy it, avoid the game, so it doesn't suffer from a lot of bad ratings. Whitleypedia had a good segment last year where he suggested the best reading on what people enjoyed was to go by the most voted on list; as those tend to square up most with people's choice voting.
>>
>>44843154
I introduced a guy to board games with TS but he was a huge Cold War nerd and loved the idea. It's not an overly complex game, there are only 10 pages of neatly organized rules and then everything else is on the cards.
>>
Reposting this for anon.

>Repostan /bgg/ discord channel for organizing tabletop sim games or what have you. Maybe add that to the pastebin or OP's in the future.

https://discord.gg/0laJMtUwLNCIyVy
>>
>What's in the mail?
For me - nothing. Buying my friend Bruges, though. I'll probably skip buying games in February, though. Managed to play Nightfall once and still haven't played BattleCon. I'm itching to play Nightfall more.

FFG art sleeves, apparently the lightsaber ones were a limited printing so getting those for SW:Risk protection.
1. StarCraft: BroodWar

Had a lot of fun - jewed out 4 points per round for 3 consecutive rounds and then got my shit pushed in by 3 people in two next rounds. We finished early because one guy had to split but I'd have probably lost. I had a shit to of SCVs no base, a couple of vultures and marines and surrounded by enemies. Next time I'll aim for being second and try to close in in two rounds.

2. Imperial Settlers
I think I have a special version of autism that lets me be good at this game. Won all games of this so far. Ended up the last with around 150 points.

I prefer getting something tested at list a bit. The newest game I want to get right now is Sheriff of Nottingham and maybe Blood Rage. I'm still looking for a fun 4X that's not in space and complex/tactical games.
>>
>>44843154

>Catch up on last thread
>standard shitposters and people that reply to them
>see mention of cthulhu realms
>google ho!

Man, and to think my opinion of the modern day cthulhu theme couldn't possibly sink lower.

>What's in the mail?
Mercs Recon should be in monday or so. Conan, Yashima, The others, Endure the stars, all that mess happening much much later.

Oh wait a second, completely forgot I backed arcadia quest inferno. That will be here eventually too.

Nothing. Spent all weekend playing fallout 4, and the new diablo 3 season like only the laziest of cunts could.

Besides those mentioned above, not really. Nothing board game related anyways. Been looking into guild ball lately. Burned out on warmachine.
>>
>>44843154
>What's in the mail?
Assault on Doomrock should get here this week. Not sure I'll tell my friends about it just yet since we still have a bunch of recent acquisitions we haven't played much.

No time this weekend, maybe I'll make up for it during the week.

Nope, my collection can stay as it is for a while now.
>>
>>44843256
It's definitely something you could use to get into the hobby, but it's also long and weighty, which usually is not the best way to jump in. Especially since it's also a costly game; if it's your first step into gaming and you don't enjoy it, you're out a lot of time and money, and could be turned off to the hobby for a long time.

>>44843560
>C'thulu Realms
It's actually not a bad a game, I have a hard time deciding which I like more mechanically; but Star Realms is so nice artistically, and I love how they've decided to do the expansions and app for it.
>>
>>44843698

Prolly should have been a bit more clear. I'm sure it plays fine. I'm just one of those hipster fags who liked the whole cthulhu thing when it was all about knowing the measure of person by seeing what they do in the face of overwhelming horror and darkness. Now it's just "cthulhu n' friends up to no good! Oh that azathoth! Everything should be cute and colorful!" Fookin bleh.

But I'm sure the mechanics are sound. A lot of people are saying as much at least.
>>
File: 1140951.jpg (94KB, 360x450px) Image search: [Google]
1140951.jpg
94KB, 360x450px
>>44843762
>not wanting your C'thulu cute and cuddly
>>
>>44843698
>it's also long and weighty, which usually is not the best way to jump in
I will never understand this meme.
>>
Best board games for solo play? I know of Arkham Horror and Level 7 Escape. I think Pandemic can be played solo, but I can't fathom that going well.
>>
>>44844323
Mage Knight, Gears of War and Robinson Crusoe.
>>
>>44844323

Not trying to be an ass, but why get a board game at all if it's just a solo player kind of thing?

Also +1 to mage knight. Heard it's a better solo game than multiplayer. That's why I'll never buy it.
>>
>>44844008
Not really a meme, it's just plain easier to get people into gaming with gateway games, that's why they sell so well, and have many recommendation threads/pictures/videos about them. I've converted a few non-gamers with heavier/grander in scope games (got my best friend into it with War of the Ring), but many many more by pulling out stuff like Flash Point, Cash n Guns, or Stone Age.

I'm not saying going into the deep end is never the right call, if you do your research and a game is really interesting to you then go with your gut.

>>44844323
Any co-op works pretty well, though the bigger problem with something like Pandemic is if you play more than your group, you risk becoming a table general later on. Personally I prefer just to go digital and do gaming on my tablet or vassal when the group can't get together.
>>
>>44844474
Because I get to play with a group maybe four times a year and I'd like to be able to play them between without it being a total waste of space.

>>44844475
>you risk becoming a table general
They all make me learn the rules and never so much as glance at them themselves, so me knowing the rules better is kind of a necessity.

>>44844431
I'll check those out, thanks.
>>
>>44844323
If you're interested in light, small games: check out the Oniverse series: Onirim, Sylvion, and Castellion.

Onirim and Castellion are the best in my opinion.
>>
>>44843274
Those invites expire after a while, can't add them to the OP really.
However you could add the note that the group exists to the OP.
>>
>>44844572
>Because I get to play with a group maybe four times a year
I know that feel anon, had to rebuild my group twice in the last three years, just keep reaching out to friends/family and get yourself more warm bodies. Also look into local/regional cons, lots are free and a good place to find other gamers from the area.
>>
Does anybody know if that new WWE board game is any good?
>>
So just played Cosmic Encounter the first time.

Where is the strategy? Cards seem to matter far more than the ships you bet (which it feels like you're doing; betting ships), and those ability cards you can reuse every turn seem OP and hard to counter. So it kind of feels 100% luck of the draw.
>>
>>44845028
There is none. Cosmic Encounter follows the same pattern as Munchkin but for some reason Tom Vasel and SUSD shill like it's amazing.
>>
>>44845028
Cosmic is a negotiation game disguised as a conquest game. There's certainly much to do with the ships and cards, but spend more time and effort on the other players.
>>
>>44844820
Assuming you're talking about the one by Gale Fornce 9, it was definitely fun when I play tested it. It's definitely a rock paper scissors game, but it came across thematically solid. Do wish it would've had wrestlers from the 80s/90s when I watched, but there's been talk about adding more through expansion. Not sure if it's worth the cost, but it's something I'd consider strongly on a flash sale.
>>
>>44845119
Yyyyeah, it's about £45 over here, and I ain't paying that much for any WWE game.
>>
>>44846000
Agreed that's way too much; though I've been rethinking buying any sport (or faux sport in this case) games as of late. Most of the good ones play best at 2, and there's loads easier duel games to get to the table; I can't justify the purchase over something else that'll get played. I think racing might be the one exemption, but then there's so many good racing games you don't really need to go with the sport F1/stock car variants to find one worth buying.
>>
File: nhl_feat.jpg (141KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
nhl_feat.jpg
141KB, 1000x500px
>>44846285

>Not a huge sports fan
>Spectator sports just not my thing
>Like deckbuilders
>Play this with a friend and his wife

Just oozes theme. It doesn't revolutionize the deckbuilding world, but if you know someone who likes hockey and is willing to try out deckbuilders they'll love it. I have too many deckbuilders as it is, but if I saw this on sale I'd pick it up crazy fast.

It has a fold out goal to hold the "boss" (goalie) card. Just think about that for a second. It's great.
>>
>>44846285
>then there's so many good racing games you don't really need to go with the sport F1/stock car variants to find one worth buying.
You could try Descent.
>>
File: 1450745006207.jpg (15KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1450745006207.jpg
15KB, 200x200px
>>44846655
>>
Does anyone here have any advice for when you pick up a new game but no one in your group likes it?

Should I just try to sell it or something?
>>
>>44846796
Math trade it away for something you like.
>>
>>44846629
Yeah I've played it and it's definitely solid, as are 1st & Goal and Baseball Highlight 2045, but the people I play 2p games with are either sports nuts who'd rather play/watch real sports, or are gamers who have no interest in any sport and won't trust me that they're good games regardless of theme.

>>44846655
Was thinking more Jamaica/Camel Up, or somethin like that but sure Descent too. That said my favorite racing game atm is still Thunder Alley despite my hatred of stock cars and their fans.

>>44846796
What's the game in question? There might be a way to con your group into giving it another chance, either that or >>44846814 has the right call, look for a no-ship in your area.
>>
>>44844572
If you want to we could get webcams board games and play a game over the internet anon
>>
>>44846938
>Was thinking more Jamaica/Camel Up, or somethin like that
I know, anon, I was only being facetious :^)

I only played Thunder Alley once but it looked like a fun and simple game.
>>
>>44843154
>What's in the mail?
FFG should have sent replacements for my broken Fury of Dracula figures, so hopefully that comes soon.

Played 3 solid rounds of 2v2 Memoir 44, was great fun.

Probably won't be buying any new games for a while due to having made a pretty big purchase recently.

>>44843560
Hopefully Arkham Investigator/Mythos Tales saves the theme, the PnP Chapter 1 I tried was pretty fun, if kinda short.
>>
>>44843560
>all those kickstarters
>plays PC games and plastic crack as well

fuck you must either be loaded or destroying your parents paychecks.
>>
>>44848864

Jokes on you, I'm just really stupid with the money I make doing high risk construction gigs.

Seriously though, I live pretty spartan style outside of my nerd interests. I work, I game, I build shit, I sleep, occasionally party. I don't do a whole lot outside of that.
>>
>>44843154
>in the mail
Nothing. It feels wrong but almost everything I want is either out of stock or not available in the US yet.
>hit the table
Cosmic Encounter and Hanabi hit the floor on Thursday because the table was conspicuously missing. Also finally played my friend's sister's game that's on kickstarter right now. Much better than expected
Played San Juan, Bohnanza, Cash N Guns, and Resistance tonight. Bohnanza is great, just will refuse to play it without a timer from now on because it ate up too much of my night
>new games radar
Looking forward to Star Wars: Rebellion previews this week. Intrigued by Vinhos Deluxe. Not /bgg/-related but I'm fucking pumped for "The Witness" coming out next week
>>44845028
The strategy is having fun with your friends. But mostly the game is about playing cards at the right time and recruiting allying smartly
>>
You know you can buy the games after they've been made just as easily.
>>
So, this applies to pretty much any game out there with too many damn cards. In my case it's Myth, but I imagine devastation of indines, Kingdom Death, and just about any game that's not quite a deck builder, but like I said has a shit ton of cards.

How do you sort them and it's aesthetically pleasing? Right now with myth I've got like 8 deck boxes holding things, and it's pretty fugly. Was thinking of maybe, some sort of setup using camping foam with slits cut into that you can wedge decks into or something. They're not large decks, there's just a shit ton of them. Deckbuilders come with inserts that manage this well enough, but that doesn't work when there's a board and tokens and all the rest with it.

>tldr how do you sort a shit ton of cards of various types?
>>
>>44850431
For Devastation, the cards fit in those packets, and if you angle the packets in you can fit each flight of characters in a slot in the insert. Toss the tokens for those fighters in around them.

Use the last slot for the common bases and co-op bosses.
>>
>What's in the mail?
Nothing, just got a new game earlier this month

Sadly nothing. Wife hasn't been feeling well and the weekend kind of slipped by. But I did get some Crusader Rex in for the first time at the end of the week. Game is really fun and winter can be brutal if you forget about it.

No, just bought Crusader Rex. Might look into more Columbia block games if my wife and I keep playing it.
>>
>>44843274
Looks like it turned into shitty off-topic discussion in the blink of an eye. Pretty disappointing
>>
I'm meeting with some female classmates and we agreed to play a board game. Recommend me a game that will guarantee me getting a blowjob under the table while playing and getting laid with all 4 of them at the same time.

Pls respond
>>
>>44843154
>>What's in the mail?
Codenames, Archipelago, and expansions for Eclipse, Dixit, & Netrunner.

>>What's hit your table this weekend?
Sadly nothing this weekend. Busy with various things.

>>Any new games on your radar?

I think there's still 25 items on my 'wish list' at the moment. And of course some cool stuff on KS too. The Nemo solo game looks appealing - particularly since I can't get a group together as often as I'd like sadly.
>>
>>44851184
Diplomacy
>>
File: pic26832922_lg.jpg (211KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic26832922_lg.jpg
211KB, 1024x768px
>>44850431
for most games I'll either use custom deck boxes or foamcore holder's (either each "deck" in it's own slot, or cardboard dividers to separate the decks) to organize shit loads of cards.

In the case of Myth I'd recommend just burning it.
>>
Guys I played talisman's digital version yesterday and I enjoyed it.
Does that make me a bad person?
>>
>>44851348

Yes, because talisman should be enjoyed at a table with friends. You're less than human for liking digital talisman.

Then again I hate all digital versions of board games for the same reason.
>>
>>44843154
>What's in the mail
my kickstarter copy of Coup G54 apparently. At this point I'll believe it when I fucking see it Travis you fuck.

Imperial Assault, two more missions and we are done. Kinda want it to be over now, feels like we've been playing it for ages.

Not really, don't need any more excuses to spend money anyway
>>
>>44851184
Best bet:Hanabi
Second best bet: Sushi Go
If you're specifically trying to go lewd, might as well go with CAH/Superfight/one of those games even though they suck
If you want a bit more
>>
>>44851414
>buying things on kickstarter
>giving money to the pyramid jew
>>
>>44850431
I found a plano box the other day that instead of using compartments like most boxes, it had a sort of holder which move around on a hinge, and was the perfect size to put cards in. It was like 5x7 too, so plenty of slots. Maybe you can find something like it?
>>
>>44851878

I'll have to be on the lookout for that.

Plano boxes are love, plano boxes are life

They hold everything, even hopes and dreams, and there's always enough room left over to store satisfaction.

Suggested a FLGS to stock them because you can store armies in the XL pistol cases. I guess profit margin is shit or something, can't remember why he told me he couldn't. It was a joke in any case.
>>
>>44851988
There are those singular plastic boxes that bait come in too, found a fishing store the other day which sold leftover boxes for like <50 cents per box of various sizes. Would make pretty sweet card or token holders.
>>
File: Deus-board-game.jpg (329KB, 1600x725px) Image search: [Google]
Deus-board-game.jpg
329KB, 1600x725px
>What's in the mail?
A locally Kickstarted game: Tao of Peg, Eminent Domain and 7 Wonders: Duel.

Ghost Stories, which is fantastic. A little Dominion, as usual. Also Machi Koro and Compounded.

Anyone played Deus? Received a recommendation for it from my FLGS guy whom I generally trust, but don't know much about it. Thinking of buying it blind (he knows his shit) but I'd like to hear from someone who's played it.
>>
>>44850431
Binders with 9-pocket sleeve pages. Those helped me visually sort Netrunner and Mage Wars Instead of just placing decks into compartments
>>
>>44852125
>Those helped me visually sort Netrunner

Is sorting that game even possible? Holy shiz there are a lot of cards. I realize it isn't MTG, but do you sort them by faction, or are you making basic decks for friends to try out?
>>
>>44852489
I sort by faction>type>expansion>card number, makes it pretty easy to find whatever you're looking for.
>>
>>44852644
Some people go for faction>type>alphabetical. I keep pre-made decks in labeled boxes with different colored sleeves.
>>
>>44852644
>>44852694
Thanks!
>>
>>44851184
Codenames. Everybody seems to love it.
>>
>>44844474

Only some reasons I can think of
1. You're preparing for the apocalypse
2. You're from a region with high infrastructure instability
3. You're going to spend much time alone without electricity

So with a lack of electricity on the horizon not being bored in is underrated
>>
>>44849670
This isn't TI3 chick as a reminder. She doesn't namefag anymore as quoted from the Discord channel. Don't be fooled.
>>
>>44854462
Well, I gathered as much from the fact the post contained no attention whoring.
>>
File: screenshot2[1].png (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot2[1].png
1MB, 1600x1200px
Anyone ever made a VASSAL module? I'm trying to make a miniatures board game on this thing but I just downloaded it. Lots to learn.
>>
>>44845028
>>44845079

Jesus how much do I agree with you. My friends all love Cosmic Encounter. I mean it's exactly like Munchkin... except there's even less decisions. The only thing you can decide is how many ships you send and who do you invite to attack/defense. When you're winning nobody is going to invite you unless they're retarded (which sometimes happens), when you're defending against someone that's has 4 planets already you invite everyone because otherwise they might win the game. You might want to share the victory with someone else and that's the only meaningful decision making you're going to get after a while.

'm not very sad when it hit's the table because the game produces some funny moments but I'm not really glad either.
>>
>>44846796

You can also try to find a different group, some people don't like euros, some don't like american games, some don't like deep tactical games. If you have a group that's limited like that try to expand or *you* will never play the games that you want to.
>>
File: jttrpg general discord room.png (12KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
jttrpg general discord room.png
12KB, 300x310px
>>44844658
>Those invites expire after a while, can't add them to the OP really.
>However you could add the note that the group exists to the OP.
Oh hi there. Just stumbled across this. Your thread's kinda comfy, wish anyone I know would give enough of a shit.
Anyways, cool you have a Discord room, but I need to correct you. Invites DO expire by default, but this is by no means always the case.

Image related, you can create a link that never expires.

https://discord.gg/0lBHRD5AVt8nrm2Y Drop by if you want. We're hardly sane but sometimes discussion can become quite interesting.
>>
Is anyone planning to do a 10x10 challenge on bgg.com this year? I failed mine last year but I'm thinking I should have a much easier time this year.
>>
>>44851348
Playing with friends, or just on your own? Because if it's the latter, you should at least mute it and put a podcast on
>>44854895
I got to play about a third of my games collection last year, and most of that was the first time I'd played it.
>>
>>44849625
>San Juan, Bohnanza, Cash N Guns, and Resistance tonight

Fucking casuals
>>
File: pic2627906_md.png (406KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2627906_md.png
406KB, 499x500px
How does Fury of Dracula 3rd edition compare to 2nd edition? I did the translation of the rules to an obscure european language for 2nd ed, and I want to grab 3e. I heard dice rolling is out now, which is good.
>>
File: laughing-cutie.gif (3MB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-cutie.gif
3MB, 200x250px
>>44854588

Top bants m8
>>
>>44855292
San Juan is anything but casual.
>>
Does anyone know where to get good quality scans (or better yet source images) for StarCraft? A friend lost some cards from his copy and wondering if there's anything better then to scan mine.
>>
So I just got Cyclades with 2 expansions and am waiting to play them (because for some ungodly reason I got a box which lacked one of the token boards), what am I in for? I have Kemet already and I like it quite a lot.
>>
>>44856081

From what heard? A little worse Kemet.
>>
>>44856128
Well, from what I saw by reading the rules, it surely does seem to be much slower, but Kemet did go out of his way to be as bloodbathy as possible. I guess a change of pace could be appreciated.
>>
>>44856081
I've not played Kemet but it sounds like a different game. The bidding phase changes up the game quite a bit, you can no longer plan too far ahead and you have to learn to make do with what you've got.
>>
>>44856060

Are files from tabletop simulator exportable (i.e is it a big zip archive so I can grab the card images?) I can't register right now for some strange reason (captcha fails all the time):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=474791656&searchtext=
>>
>>44855347
Look up the dice tower video for fury of dracula, they compare it to 2nd edition there.
All in all the combat seems to have been improved by making dracula not have all of his options in his hand from the start of the fight
>>
>>44854895
Going to attempt one for the first time this year, got back into board games 4 years back and I keep buying games with no regular group meetups. I figure a 10x10 means we're getting together regularly and the money I've spent so far isn't wasted.
>>
>>44856617
Im not sure if tableflip sim files are ever actually stored on your computer. Card images and stuff like that are normally hosted on sites like imgur and loaded when you load up the module. Theres gotta be some way to find out the urls for the files though.
>>
>>44856714
Any ideas which games you're going to choose?
>>
>>44856719

Crap. I don't want to buy the simulator for the small chance of getting those files though. Maybe some good anon here will have some more tips. It's ridiculous - the game is out of print for a long time, I'd thought everybody and their brother would be making DIY-versions of it.

Thanks for the info, though.
>>
>>44856859
VASSAL has a module for it, it seems.

The screenshots show some cards, so it seems like they aren't blanked like they are for some games there.

Even if they are blanked, you can probably find the text on a wiki somewhere and write it in. Or edit the text in with photoshop.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:StarCraft:_The_Board_Game
>>
>>44856795
I'm thinking more light than heavy, I'm trying to convert my best friend and his wife (recent homebodies with a 1yr old), so prolly Flash Point/TtR. Sister and her husband moved last year and are 10 min drive away so thinking SW:Risk for sure since he's a huge fan.
>>
>>44856886

Thanks man, I hoped for better details but maybe the friend won't mind. And if he does I guess I'll just scan them.
>>
>>44851184
Tease
>>
Does anyone know what happened between the Dice Tower and Nick from Boardgamebrawl? he will no longer be appearing on their channel apparently.
>>
>>44857197
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbV6N6XaUjo&feature=youtu.be&t=201
>>
>>44851414
>kickstarter copy of Coup G54
What the dicks? I've had mine for months.
>Imperial Assault
How do you feel about it, at the tail end of a campaign?

>>44852489
Binders really are the best way to sort netrunner.

>>44854833
I was pretty sure the last one I'd generated for a thread was permenant, but who knows what that guy's was. Anyway, permenant here:
https://discord.gg/0YyZqtIBAOTBZ2f5

>>44855347
Art isn't quite as nice in some areas, resolve track is gone, combat is all card-based and much better. I think it's a pretty solid improvement.
>>
Any decent vassal games you guys can recommend?

2-3 players preferably. No shit like Carcassonne please.
>>
>>44857245
Sounds like differences of opinion on how to present / run things. Happens all the time.
>>
>>44857277
Gears of War works just fine.
>>
>>44857275
>I was pretty sure the last one I'd generated for a thread was permenant, but who knows what that guy's was. Anyway, permenant here:
>https://discord.gg/0YyZqtIBAOTBZ2f5
What is any of this, and why can't I send messages?
>>
>>44857760
It's a voice/chat client I've found convenient for this kind of group, since servers are free (at least for the moment), support web/desktop/mobile pretty much equally well, and handle pretty much anything but .webm well.
Don't know why you can't send messages, unless TI3Chick's been messing with permissions, which I doubt. Might just be you need to make an account.
>>
>>44855292
Yeah, left the table and came back to see that a bunch of people I didn't know had joined and started up Resistance, and all other games were still in-progress

Made plans to play Pax Porfiriana next week, going out to print the player aids and rules summaries today :-)
>>
>>44857824
Yeah, but when you make it with no real goal in mind and you idle in there it's just a chatroom. Fuck off.
>>
>>44858035
who stuck a weasel in your ass this morning
>>
>>44858170
Bob did.
>>
>>44856859
>>44856719
People host on Dropbox usually. Imgur compresses files so they look crappy, and eventually the images are gone so it'd be a horrible hosting service for TTS mods
>>
>>44857417
>>44857245
Wonder how much of this is because half Nick's channel is paid kickstarter shilling.
>>
>>44858529
Could be - Tom didn't think it was appropriate to go into details in his video obviously so unless someone else spills the beans it's all just SWAG (Simply a Wild Ass Guess).
>>
>>44858035
What
So it's just like this thread then
>>
>>44857824
>It's a voice/chat client I've found convenient for this kind of group, since servers are free (at least for the moment), support web/desktop/mobile pretty much equally well, and handle pretty much anything but .webm well.
No, I mean, why is it full of dank maymays and random screencaps? What's with the weird titles? Etc.
>Don't know why you can't send messages, unless TI3Chick's been messing with permissions, which I doubt. Might just be you need to make an account.
I made one.
>>
>>44858711
>dank maymays and random screencaps
Because I can't be assed to play iron fist admin and certain people who shall remain nameless insist on injecting their fetishes into everything they touch. Same for the titles, if there are any.
>>
>>44858711
>No, I mean, why is it full of dank maymays and random screencaps? What's with the weird titles? Etc.
What weird titles?
And well for the rest just blame Mush.
>>
>>44858711
Hmm, I don't see a new member added. If you get on now and let me know your name, I can check into your permissions.
>>
>>44858711
Say, did you accidentally joing this chat:
>>44854833
?
Cause that's not ours.
>>
>>44858711
>You have been invited to words in The Place for Things.

Found your problem. That's the wrong chat entirely. Here's /bgg/:
https://discord.gg/0laJMtUwLNCkyR2S
>>
>>44858852
Well shit. STEEV throws again. Apologies, that's my local group's server.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449005814676.jpg (84KB, 800x467px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449005814676.jpg
84KB, 800x467px
>What's in the mail?
Xia and both TI3 expansions. Much hype. Just finished reading the digital rulebook for Xia and it looks absolutely amazing.

Not really. Did one of the MtG prereleases, played a game of drunken Love Letter, then a million games of drunken Coup- the latter two being with non-gamers. I'm slowly converting folk to play stuff with more substance.

Not really. I've started to slow down on board game purchases since I don't really see a point if I won't be getting any of them to the table besides super light games, 40k, Force of Will, and various formats of Magic. Hell even X-Wing and various RPGs are becoming impossible to play for me
>>
>>44858956
Oh shit Xia! Have fun space cowboy.
>>
>>44858852
>>Found your problem. That's the wrong chat entirely. Here's /bgg/:
>https://discord.gg/0laJMtUwLNCkyR2S
Oooooh. Thanks.
>>44858850
Nope.
>>
File: 2347684542.jpg (197KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
2347684542.jpg
197KB, 500x405px
>>44858956
I also forgot to mention me and a chum learned how to play WH40k: Conquest.
I was expecting another generic deckbuilding cardfighting reskin but I was blown away by it. I'm wanting to invest in the core set and an expansion pack or two, but I'm pretty sure it will just sit in my library like my Netrunner set.

I had an absolute blast with it though- anyone else ever played it?
>>
>>44859180
I've played a few games, really like it.
Not quite as well as netrunner, but close enough to spark interest. Haven't taken the plunge yet though, just have a friend bring over his set when he wants.
>>
>>44858170
>>44858600
kek
>>44858866
>>
>>44856617
/tg/ delivers. Here's the JSON file for the module:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/sedo2ivay1u6jbb/474791656.json

In it you will find links to the various graphic resources used in it, among 23,000 lines of tags. I'll leave it up to you to find what you need.

Once you have TTS you can subscribe to modules and after you run the game to update your local modules, you will find those files in /Steam/SteamApps/common/Tabletop Simulator/Tabletop Simulator_Data/Mods/Workshop
WorkshopFileInfos.json will tell you what modules the numbered files correspond to.
>>
File: thank-you.gif (992KB, 380x214px) Image search: [Google]
thank-you.gif
992KB, 380x214px
>>44859644

Oh man, Thanks! I'm just gonna grep for image files and get the whole lot and sort it out later.

Thank you *very* much!
>>
File: porxlf08ow.png (89KB, 232x292px) Image search: [Google]
porxlf08ow.png
89KB, 232x292px
> MFW...

Waiting on confirmation that my games have shipped...
>>
>>44861261
MLK day. Have fun waiting!
>>
>>44861387
I know, damnit. I know...
>>
File: kemet-foamcore-tiles.png (3MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kemet-foamcore-tiles.png
3MB, 1800x1200px
Don't know if anybody is interested but I made foamcore trays for Kemet. Pic obviously related.

This was my first time with foamcore - if anybody is interested I'll post more pisc (sorry about the quality - my phone takes pictures as well as a refrigerator) and write what I learned and what I fucked up along the way.
>>
>>44862228
Very sexy, and speeds up setup quite a bit I'd imagine.
Does mean getting rid of one of the prettiest inserts I've seen though.
>>
File: kemet-player-trays.png (4MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kemet-player-trays.png
4MB, 1800x1200px
>>44862267

I didn't have the heart to throw the insert away - it's on my wardrobe.

Yep setting up the tiles and separating the units/tokens for players was what took the most time for us.

I also did trays for the players and there's a lot of space there but I was planning for expansions without knowing what's going to be in Ta-Seti.
>>
>>44862228
Looks nice anon, how long did the first insert take you to build?
>>
>>44863927

It's hard for me to say because I started with the player and the power tile trays simultaneously

I worked in 1-2hr sittings
1. Made the base and the walls for the player tray
2. Made the dividers for the player trays and the base and walls for the tile trays
3-4 Made 4 copies of bases+walls for the player tray, some vertical dividers for the tile tray
5. Added dividers for the player trays and the horizontal dividers for the tile tray
6-7 Made the other two power tile trays.

So about 12-14hrs all in all, and about 1.5-2hr per tray (5 player trays, 3 power trays).

It definitely went faster after I started doing several copies at once.
>>
>>44864966
Sounds reasonable, any reason in particular why you went with white foam core, or just what was at the store?
>>
>>44861387
HA! It did ship today. Sweet.
>>
File: ttttt.png (27KB, 931x307px) Image search: [Google]
ttttt.png
27KB, 931x307px
>>44865697
grrrrr
>>
>>44866278

>More people playing Dungeonquest

Fookin righteous
>>
I was just browsing for a game... I added 40 items to my wishlist.

How do I stop before I'm forced to sell my kidneys, /tg/?
>>
>>44866611
whats so good about dungeon quest? i keep hearing about it.

i already play D&D if that changes anything.
>>
>>44867085
Start with plasma, easier to find a buyer and less recovery time needed.
>>
>>44867085
Look into the games that you added. I guarantee that if you owned all 40, you'd only want to keep 6.
>>
>>44867180
> I guarantee that if you owned all 40, you'd only want to keep 6.
Looks over at gaming collection - over 130 titles not counting expansions. Keeping all of them.
>>
>>44867180
It's not 40 games tho, there's a lot of expansions in there. Pitfalls of obsessive completionism.
>>
Yes! The P500 for Cuba Libre finally went through!
>>
>>44867153

It's a low commitment, easy to learn and play game. It's also incredibly unfair and will murder you all the time without fail.

You and three others go into this dungeon. In the center is treasure. Every turn you put a tile down that was drawn from a bag of tiles as you make your way to the center. If you take too long the sun will set, the doors to the place close, and you all lose. Now, the official rules say the winner is whoever leaves the dungeon with the most money, but it's universally accepted to believe you only win by going into the center then making it out. Which you won't. I mean theoretically you can, but just expect that you won't.

Everything is crazy dangerous to navigate, and bad luck will have you getting your teeth knocked in my the wimpiest monster in the game (basically paper rock scissors with someone else who plays the monster).

The best way to explain the game is like this. There's a dwarf character with a lot of health, the most in the game, but has a low agility. I played him one time, and my first tile going into the dungeon was the bottomless pit. Requires you to meet or roll less than your stat, which for the dorf is 3. You have to roll 3 or less on 2d6. Failure means you die permanently. There's a couple other things that will instantly off you with a bad roll as well. Well, spoiler alert, I failed that roll.

I've introduced the game to all sorts of people spread across age groups ranging from like 7-late 40's. Everyone loves it, and everyone vows retribution against the game for laying them low. I made a house rule that success means you get to sign my box/board. 40+ playthroughs so far, most with a full house of 4 players. No signatures are to be found.
>>
>>44857275
Travis forgot that he had promised to ship games to asia-pacific apparently. Looking at the comments on kickstarter I'm definitely not the only one still waiting and I doubt his company will get much business from this part of the world going forward as Stores have been selling it here for months now.

How I feel about Imperial Assault is the same way I feel about Descent 2.0, it's a great theme that sadly isn't supported by the mechanics. It's been mostly fun, but I'll be glad to play something else finally when we finish.
>>
>What's in the mail?
Death Angel, been meaning to check it out for a couple years actually
Pandemic, played it with my wife for the first time. Got The Grizzled the other day, but still trying to make time to play it
Looking into an other anon's recommendation of Warfighter and Omega Game's Ranger from the previous thread
>>
>>44869510
>Got The Grizzled the other day, but still trying to make time to play it

It's great. Check out the Rodney Smith play through of it if you're unsure of any of the mechanics. And you'll want at least 3 human players when you play. It simply curb stomps 2 players and an NPC almost every time otherwise.
>>
>>44844323
Friday, Robinson Crusoe + what >>44844608
said
>>
>>44869705

Thanks, I'll check that out since I wanted to make sure I fully understood the mechanics. I did try to play with my wife but have seen that the general consensus is to play with atleast 3 people.
>>
File: RipPoland.jpg (137KB, 1463x1036px) Image search: [Google]
RipPoland.jpg
137KB, 1463x1036px
>What's in the mail?
Nothing currently, but I keep eyeing xwing minifigs and I need to stop.
Mostly Pandemic Legacy. Excellent game, and I am happy to have found a regular group to play it with. We're currently entering May and overall unsure of how we're going to stay afloat.
SW: Rebellion looks great. I love Empire at War for its grandness and asymmetry and Rebellion seems like its going to fit that Petroglyph-shaped hole.
>>
File: evildead.gif (707KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
evildead.gif
707KB, 500x270px
What are some good horror games?
Bonus points for games that involve ghosts.
>>
>>44854655
You should have a look at the Table Top Simulator for steam, it's actually pretty good.

Does anybody know if there are any good board games that are competitive world domination that instead of using armies you use espionage and subterfuge? Bonus if you play as different factions of a splintered Illuminati.
>>
>>44871355
Ghost Stories, obviously.
>>
>>44871410
There's the old SJG Illuminati, and the newer card game INWO.
>>
>>44871355
Well
>Betrayal at the house on haunted hill
Easy to get into, rules aren't hard to understand and good replayability
>Mansions of Madness (haven't had a chance to play this much desu)
Cthulhu mythos dungeon crawl (i guess?) one player controls the encounters and the others explore the mansion and try to survive the story. A little rule heavy but worth it.
>Zombies!!!
Although I find it a bit repetitive and not so complicated for my tastes it's still fun and easy to get into. Loads of expansions. The zombie and shotgun guy miniatures are perfect to use in All Flesh Must Be Eaten games.
>Zombies Plague
Is a print-and-play game you can find on Boardgamegeek (previously mentioned Zombie figurines come in handy for this one). I use the roads from Catan as barricades for this one

These are just games I own/played that you feel the horror theme throughout the game, Fury of Dracula while about vampires doesn't have that horror feel to it i felt.

Does anybody know if that The Thing board game was any good?
http://www.outpost31.com/vistar/games/brdgamerules.html
>>
>>44851184
Risk
>>
>>44871279
>We're currently entering May and overall unsure of how we're going to stay afloat.
Does the game start in January and last a year? One month per session?
>>
>>44851184
Barbarossa
>>
>>44871672
You're mostly correct. You play 12 months, regardless if you win or lose every single time. However, if you lose then you repeat the month. All the conditions are the same except the board state is refreshed (as much as it can be).
So you can actually play between 12 and 24 games, and our group has got 3 wins and 3 losses.
>>
>>44865371

It was cheaper (like a lot cheaper) and I only wanted something functional not pretty. Didn't came out *that* bad, though.
>>
>>44871355

If zombies and B-movie style are your preference you could try Last Night on Earth. I know *I* have a boner for this game.
>>
>>44868442
I'm debating over whether I should get either Cuba Libre or Falling Sky when it comes out, damn decisions..
>>
>>44872717
Why not both? Cuba Libre is fucking stellar.
>>
>>44868103
If you had to get rid of one would it be difficult to choose?

If you had to get rid of 15 would it be difficult to choose? At what point would it be difficult to choose which game to cull? How many of them do you really care to keep?
>>
>>44872978
I have pretty much zero experience with the COIN system. Reckoned as both Cuba Libre and Falling Sky are on smaller maps and don't have the LOC mechanics, that either would be a good simple starting place for the series. Still have to find out if I even like it though!
>>
>>44873052
If you've ever played a card driven wargame, a COIN game is like that but rather than having a hand of cards, the events are laid out on the table and each turn you can choose if you want to use one. Also there are 4 factions, each with different goals and win conditions, with a network of animosity between them.

I'd say, if you liked CDGs, you will like COINs.
>>
File: Empire of the SunMap funtimes.png (4MB, 2266x1466px) Image search: [Google]
Empire of the SunMap funtimes.png
4MB, 2266x1466px
What up /bgg/

Finally got 2 PBEM games going to offset my group lacking the passion to read rules. First up: me kicking ass in the pacific, playing Japanese, already pretty much won the CBI theater (notice Dacca, also the US unit on ceylon is misplaced and to be moved when my opponent wakes up)

Next up I think I'll finish off North India hexes and probably try an ultra-risky invasion of Oahu. I don't really have any other option for an attack and I'm not the kind of guy to accept being a sitting duck. Plus all those boats being deployed in the south pacific deserve a punishment. Strategically the victory may be of minimal worth but goddamn, gotta have that Hawaii.
>>
File: A Distant PlainMap.jpg (2MB, 3033x1633px) Image search: [Google]
A Distant PlainMap.jpg
2MB, 3033x1633px
>>44873806
the other is Distant Plain, I got assigned Goverment. It's not the hardest faction to play but certainly the most rules-heavy. I understood over the course of the game exactly where the marriage with Coalition breaks apart: patronage. I need it for score, but the only way to get it is either really complicated cooperation with warlords, brutally ransacking warlords and playing them right into taliban hands, or governing cruelly, but only in spaces with no coalition base. In effect I'm asking coalition to fuck off out of secured positions for about 15 cards now and it's still not happening, I'm starting to think the player knows more about the rules than he suggests.
Pic related is the board after my last move, full turn, fuckhueg sweep all across the map after like 3 full turns just training troops. We'll see just how bad Coalition will fuck up the follow-through again.
>>
>>44873888
Not gonna lie, that looks awesome as fuck.
>>
>>44873924
Ngl either, it is. It's also frustrating as all hell. Statistically between two scoring rounds there's 12 cards, of those 3-6 allow you to be eligible for a full turn and you bet your ass at least half of those you'll need to spend on someone other than yourself because of politics. (At least in goverment's case, I'm sure taliban and warlords have easier lives)
>>
>>44873940
Can't you just tell the warlords that either they cooperate or they're gonna get wrecked? Either way you benefit and let the coalition worry about the resulting mess.
>>
Does xia have single player rules?

>>44859180
Ive played a few games of conquest because ive tried most lcgs. Its a nice game, but its just not as special as netrunner to me because theres so many games that are similar to it. The blood bowl card game, the cthulhu lcg, smash up plays like that too i believe.
>>
>>44843274
>Meow I helped paint these figures
Fucking nope. I just hope all the tripfags go there and take their faggotry with them.
>>
Latest purchase
Blood rage for me pretty good
Games your prefer
Android the boardgame
Games you are waiting for
Forbidden star (the translation in French)

>>44843392
>Blood Rage
you are controling a clan of viking trying to get as much glory for your clan before the ragnarok
at the start of a turn you receive god gifts (action card) that you draft (10 cards per player you keep one give the 9 left to the person to your left while the person to your right gives you his left over)
some cards are battle card, quest, neutral monsters reaction to battle or clan upgrade

you can only play as many action as your clan has rage.
playing a card cost x rage (x = cost on the card)
invading a province cost x rage (x = strength of unit)
moving cost 1 rage
pillaging cost 1 rage
etc etc
a successfull pillaging give your the upgrade on the province for your clan
Once you everyone has ran out of rage and things to do the first age end and ragnarok destroys 1 province and you get all your figs back from vahala
the destroyed province is not part of the 2nd age
new card draft for action card of the second age
etc etc
games end at the end of the 3rd age
count glory
>>
>>44874799
So far only 4 player are supported by the rules but the 5th player rules are getting translated in French (already avail in english)
There is also a God pack where odin thor frigga heimdall and loki give specific abilities to the province they are in (to be translated aswell)
And there is like 10 or so neutral figs for monsters.
So monsters are only avail for 1st age or 3rd.
Also some monsters are not available if not enought player are playing to prevent the OP aspect of their presence.

Reguarding pillage needless to say that if you fail a pillage your units are killed but sometime you ll want that so you get honor from a card or a quest etc etc
>>
File: 1452757975636.jpg (73KB, 400x519px) Image search: [Google]
1452757975636.jpg
73KB, 400x519px
What's a good starter board game for a 4-5 year-old boy?
>>
>>44874137
Bump for inquiry on single player since that's the only way I'll be getting it to the table, at least for a while.

Seeing as how npcs are controlled by PCs, I'm sure there's a way it can be run solo while controlling your ship then taking all three npc ship actions.

Also thanks for the heads-up.
I didn't know Conquest played like those which is sad considering I own both Smash Up and Cthulhu LCG (never played though, like most of my other shit).

With Netrunner, I'm very curious to break in my copy, but the reason my friend wanted to try out Conquest and not Netrunner was because he didn't like the asymmetrical aspects of it which led him to further wonder how competitive format worked if both folk wanted to be a Runner or the Gub'ment.
He believes because of this, there can never truly be a 100% competitive way to play it.

All that being said, Netrunner is still highest on my priority list as far as learning non-tcgs goes.
>>
Last purchased game was gears of war, but I'm kinda apprehensive about introducing my wife to it. Not sure if she'll enjoy the theme.

Game play yes but eh....

Also recently been trying to get people into tash-kalar, seems like a game you have to instantly love to keep wanting to play it.

Mice and mystics second play through has again left me really underwhelmed. I hope this isn't how all dungeon crawlers feels?

Still in love with summoner wars and alliance has reinforced my previous decision that it is the best game I have ever played.

Looking to get into some deductive games, Noir was a big success, but want some a little more cooperative and repayable with a decent difficulty..

Always looking for 2-3 player games that are mainly coop and not tile or worker placement games (seriously never got the appeal, once you find the best strategy that's all you play).
>>
>>44874830
>Last purchased game was gears of war, but I'm kinda apprehensive about introducing my wife to it. Not sure if she'll enjoy the theme.
The theme isn't in your face all the time. If you've played the vidya you will understand it, if your wife didn't, then you don't have to explain it.
>Mice and mystics second play through has again left me really underwhelmed. I hope this isn't how all dungeon crawlers feels?
No, it's just Mice and Mystics being shit. I never even finished the campaign because the game annoyed me so much.
>Looking to get into some deductive games, Noir was a big success, but want some a little more cooperative and repayable with a decent difficulty..
Not too much replayability but you could try Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.
>Always looking for 2-3 player games that are mainly coop and not tile or worker placement games (seriously never got the appeal, once you find the best strategy that's all you play).
Marvel: Legendary or Mage Knight should work wonders.
>>
>>44874861
I'm glad gears isn't too much in your face, it seems like a really good coop game so I'd hate for it to lose points if theme wasn't the main selling point.

Shame about mystics, been looking at super dungeon Explorer and descent, think they do a better job? Do they need a dedicated over Lord of you know?

I have tried mage knight before but I'll give your other suggestion a try.
>>
>>44874830
>>44874861
>Mice & Mystics
I understand the disinterest of it, but it's basically babby's first dnd/dungeon crawl.
I'm not a HUGE fan of it, but the theme is 10/10 and the mechanics are light enough for my group to play when we aren't up to playing Pathfinder.
>>
>>44874799
>>44874812

Thanks for the description. I more or less watched the playthroughs and have it classified as Kemet+Drafting+Multiple Victory Paths. I currently have a lot of area-control games (well 2, but my collection is small and I already know I want CitOW and Dune)
>>
>>44874894
Never played SDE but Descent requires more players because it needs a dedicated overlord and it doesn't feel like a dungeon crawler, it's more of a race to the objective.
>>44874918
>I understand the disinterest of it, but it's basically babby's first dnd/dungeon crawl.
It really isn't. Pathfinder card game has way simpler rules and even though the story isn't as involved, it's still a better intro to dungeon crawls than Mice and Mystics.
>>
>>44874918
I can't fault it for its theme, great storytelling, it just had no substance to it. Every turn is really just attack.
>>
Buyer remorse :
ANDOR
fuck that game litteraly no replayability
killing monster increase the legend scale making it even more monster spawn.
dodging monster and only killing the weakestone while letting the big ones enter the castle is the best option
there is 5 scenarii and they dont change if you replay the game another time
booooooooooooooooooooring.
>>
I have buyers remorse for picking up a copy of Dominion. I feel like there isn't enough player interaction. Given a choice, I'd always pick something different to play.
>>
>>44875086
The card game? Really? It's one of my favorites.
>>
>>44875098
All I have is the base game. It's meh. I like other deckbuilders more.
>>
Got a copy of Forge War, and got some plays in. I might be slightly more than enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately the length makes it rather difficult to get people playing frequently.

Indirect competition in worker placement (mostly), and a fairly brutal resource management are core to the game. Something kinda like Lords of Waterdeep, except less directly fucking with each other via mandatory quests, less resource hoarding to then pickup suitable quests and more focus on building a way to stuff the resources you do get into quests in the most profitable way.

Wish it had a better (and more accurate) online implementation so it was easier to find others to play with.
>>
>>44873806
I dunno why but for some reason EotS seems really interesting to me, and I've not ever played a hex-and-counter wargame.

>>44873888
What COIN game would you recommend between Cuba Libre and Falling Sky, if you're at all familiar with them?
>>
>>44875109
I have Dominion too and have never played it.
What I always hear is that the game was amazing...when it came out several years ago.
It has seen been improved with other games.
And in my humble opinion, the only reason it's still played is because of nostalgia, the amount invested in it and expansions, and/or those players haven't tried modern deckbuilders.

As far as personal preferences goes, I want player interaction in my deckbuilders.
Domionion, DC deckbuilders, etc don't seem like they'd cut it for me.
>>
>>44875151
What are your favorite deckbuilders?
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 225x152px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 225x152px
>>44843154

I am looking forward to playing my Clue limited Edition #15123 with the golden chalice bonus weapon.

>>pic precisely related
>>
What's y'all's initial thoughts on Karmaka?

It looks fun and the art is gorgeous.

Pretty hard for me to say no to $25 for the base game and stretch goals.

The only thing I've funded board game-wise before this is that Viking game HIRÞ, so I'm wary about backing another thing before the first one comes in.
>>
>>44874830

Ghost Stories, Samurai Spirit, Shadows of Brimstone,
>>
>>44875248
Thanks thanks and thanks
>>
>>44875218
Nope, nevermind I'm funding it now.
It looks amazing and I'm getting 0 bad vibes from this.
>>
>>44872384
No I think it came out really nice looking anon, normally I don't like white inserts but yours looks really solid, was just wondering if it was a purposeful aesthetic choice because it works.

>>44874819
Kinda depends on the kid and their development. Haba has tons of games for younger kids and they're all solid, Animal Upon Animal/Rhino Hero are the ones I've had most fun with and both suggest 4+. Mayday's dexterity games all work for kids, though the WAF on Coconuts went down after my buddy described it as "beer pong you play with your 6yr old". Push a Monster came out last year and was pretty solid, even for adults. Never played Sleeping Queens but it was designed by a young child so it's supposed to work starting around 5 or 6. Gamewright also has a lot of quality children's/family games, I remember testing Dragonwood and thinking it was a bit too much for my 4yr old niece, but in a few years it'd be great.

>>44874945
>>44874894
SDE first edition is similar to Descent in that it's a race (finish off spawn points before boss spawns or you're gonna hurt) but Forgotten King rules are less race more simple hack/slash. Still requires a GM unless you play arcade mode, which has mixed reviews, and I've not played so I can't give you help there.
>>
>>44875218

Looks fun. I don't back kick-starters and I dislike pnp but definitely willing to give it a try if it every sells outside of KS.
>>
You know how we sometimes talk about That Guy in our boardgaming groups? Well, I've never met anybody who outright fell into that category, but last night I met a real contender at a meetup...

>new guy, in his 50's
>the table I'd more or less formed invited him in because hey, gotta be welcoming to new people
>notice that he's wearing a cardigan with a few medium-sized stains (I'm not exactly /fa/ at these things, but I at least manage to put something clean on)
>whatever, no big deal
>we don't have a game going, because most of us are eating (meetup's at a transport cafe) so we're mostly just chatting
>new guy mentions how he sometimes brings out a game for his classes sometimes where you spin a dial, draw a card with a question on it, and whatever letter the dial lands on, you have to answer the question with a word that begins with that letter
>for some reason, we get onto DVD boxsets and old cop shows that get repeated on TV sometimes
>he cannot stop talking about how much Kojak has held up
>during a lull in the conversation, he brings out the game he mentioned
>other people start playing (me and another person are still eating)
>it seems like whoever answers the card gets to read the next one out, but one guy rarely gets to even when he wins
>notice we have 5 people, maybe we'll get to play my copy of One Night Ultimate We-
>new guy starts talking about how he's been to other gaming meetups, and that he finds games like The Resistance and Avalon "distasteful"
>... Never mind
>that game ends, somebody else suggests Epic Spell Wars (he got it for Christmas)
>new guy is immediately DO NOT WANT when he sees the artwork, but is too British to complain... much
>he constantly fails to understand how spells are structured, even when it's explained to him about three times and it's inferred how to do it on the bloody cards
>excuses himself after the first round
>thank fuck that's over with
>sidles back to our table later on, to talk about maglev trains
>>
>>44875404
maglev trains are pretty dope tho
>>
>>44875338
Yeah I would have gone with black but it was 3 times more costly and I didn't want to spend more money on a first project when I didn't know if I would have finished it.

I went and bought 3 big sheets of white foamcore and I'll probably stick to white for the insert/tray for StarCraft too - because I have two left right now.
>>
>>44875338
>Push a Monster
Thanks for the tips!
>>
File: 12 realms.jpg (272KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
12 realms.jpg
272KB, 1024x683px
>>44875433
Yup, I get that, was gonna buy white for my first attempts but it was a back to school sale at my local supermarket so I grabbed 3 sheets of black cheap and hoped for the best. Having done 3 now I can attest it gets quite a bit faster after the first insert, but I still budget a whole afternoon/evening on a single game.

>>44875472
Np anon, played a lot of board games with my sister's kids over the years. Forgot to mention 12 Realms, which was maybe the prettiest game I'd ever seen for kids and was a really nicely designed co-op. It won't work with max player count, and when I played it there was a problem where if you got too far advanced early on the boss would never spawn, but it's definitely got promise.
>>
>>44875404
>namefag complains that someone else has an opinion

That's not even close to That Guy territory, dude. What the heck are you getting upset about?
>>
>>44875432
I know, but... somebody just mentioned an abstract strategy game that used magnets, and he just... kept talking about maglev trains for about 2-3 minutes while people were playing the game.
>>44875543
Look, if the only game somebody brought was something to teach 6 year olds better vocabulary, then irradiated I DON'T WANT TO HAVE FUN for a simple game where he can't grasp one of the basic ways on how to play it (I don't even mean strategy, I mean "what you have to do every turn), then you'd be kinda pissed off too.

And for the record, I think Kojak was a pretty good show.
>>
>>44875535
Spend 1.5hr on StarCraft yesterday. Managed to only plan out the Zerg player trays on graph paper. I think I'll manage to get the other two trays types down today.

I'm hoping the measuring/cutting/gluing process will go much faster, though.

The game looks awesome btw.
>>
>>44875535
>12 Realms
That *is* very pretty. Though it looks a bit complicated for my 4-year-old.
>>
>>44875657
Yeah it's prolly a bit too much, I think the youngest we had that day was 6ish. Best to stick with Haba for young kids, they're the best in the business for a reason.
>>
>>44875086
More of a gateway now. I can understand if you're deeper in the hobby and have played other similar games. It really shines with expansions like Seaside and Prosperity. Seaside adds duration cards and Prosperity focuses on Treasure. But since you didn't really like the base that much I'm not sure if you should bother. Sill one of my favorites though because of the variety and how good it is for its game length.
>>
>>44843154
>What's in the mail?
Jaipur, can't wait to play this after reading up on it. Looks like a nice, quick and fun game that's really replayable.
Nothing I was busy. But I taught my fiancee Roll for the Galaxy yesterday and she got it down.
Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game
>>
>>44843154
>>What's in the mail?
Twilight Struggle. Brother preordered in October, according to him, he has yet to receive a shipping notification. Of course, he cannot be bothered to call them or see if there is an alternate way to check the order status. He just bitches about how it cost him 80$ canadian.

>>What's hit your table this weekend?
Last night, med school buddy was back in town for residency interviews, so we did the obvious. No time for prepping when summoner wars is available! Played until somewhere around 3 in the morn'. also got some matches of GOSU 1st edition in beforehand. Got him to download the star realms app, and showed him Tigris and Euphrates app, which he was intrigued by.

>>Any new games on your radar?
Recently bought Grizzled.
I liked what I saw in Kemet when I played it in Toronto...wouldnt consider it new, but the first time I really saw how it worked and I quite enjoyed it. Apart from that, I am not really following anything about upcoming releases or what is all the rage. Just trying to play more Chaos, Ti3, hopefully get some dead of winter or roborally/cosmic back on the table.
>>
What are some board games to play on Vassal, something with RPG elements if possible. New to board games, except for the old Monopoly/Russian knockoff.
>>
>>44877377
Literally thousands. Be a bit more specific in what you want from it
>>
>>44876039
I was thinking about trying out the most recent expansion, Adventures. From what I've read it adds both of those and more.
>>
>>44877538
Something fun? Something for three-five players. Something non-fantasy?
>>
File: collection 04.jpg (2MB, 2208x2497px) Image search: [Google]
collection 04.jpg
2MB, 2208x2497px
>>44872994
>If you had to get rid of one would it be difficult to choose?

There are certainly some games I enjoy more than others. But I generally do my research and know that I will enjoy playing a given game before I buy it. (Often I'll play a game before buying it, though I have supported a few KS games. And I routinely check out 'play through' videos as well.) I think what you're trying to ask is:

> "Have you ever bought a game you didn't want to keep?"

Yes, I did impulse purchase a deck builder with artwork that I liked. Unfortunately the rules were a badly edited and nigh-unplayable mess. The game designer(s) didn't come out with decent errata for many months, and by then I knew I wasn't going to like the game play so that game will get sold / given away / or traded at some point.

>If you had to get rid of 15 would it be difficult to choose? At what point would it be difficult to choose which game to cull? How many of them do you really care to keep?

This begs the question - why would I *want* to get rid of multiple games? I purchase games based on whether or not I get enjoyment out of playing them, not "I played this a Gorrillion times!" The beauty of a good board game is that it doesn't have an expiration date. Sure, we may outgrow kids games as adults, or intro-level games may not appeal as much due to a desire for more challenging games. But enjoying more challenging games does *NOT* prevent me from enjoying intro level games with new players who are just discovering the entertainment value of board gaming. By having a large library of games, I can ensure that I've got something that myself and others will all enjoy. Some of my friends prefer co-ops, others will try anything. Some of them are great with long run-time strategy games, others want something that plays out in a shorter time frame. By having a good selection of games, I get to learn about my friends and have fun at the same time.
>>
>>44877645
Adventures does have more duration cards and a couple more treasures, but the best addition is event cards. All that said, it's definitely not worth skipping all the way to Adventures.

The correct buy order is something like Base/Intrigue (base as a gateway, Intrigue for seasoned gamers, not both)-->Prosperity-->Seaside-->Dark Ages-->Cornucopia/Guilds (the dual box or just Guilds and skip Cornucopia)-->Adventures-->then if you must, complete the set
>>
>>44878046
Yeah, I'm not really feeling the game so I"m not going to go through all of that just to find out what it's about.
>>
>>44878162
I can relate - Dominion just didn't grab me either for some reason when I played it. There's nothing I felt was particularly 'wrong' or awful about Dominion, I just didn't connect with it. There are a number of other deck-builders I just like a lot better Thunderstone (which I don't own sadly), as well as Legendary 'Aliens', Arctic Scavengers, Eminent Domain, etc.
>>
>>44877538
Anything at all?
>>
>>44878162
That's fine. One of the satisfactions of the game is knowing how you started small and seeing how big you're deck is and how fine tuned you've made it according to your strategy. That satisfaction of cards coming into your hand exactly how you wanted them to.
>>
>>44878329
Summoner Wars
>>
>>44878394
But that's something you can get in basically any deckbuilder.
>>
>>44878421
That's right but some people have mentioned above the variety and length of it. Also it's a light game and easy to explain to people. But more experience with other games might make the game less exciting.
>>
>>44878329
Sorry, I think you'll have to be patient on getting replies. I think a lot of folks here don't use vassal but actually game with other players at the same table so to speak rather than online.

> Something fun? Something for three-five players. Something non-fantasy?

This still doesn't give us a lot to go on. More to the point, are you looking for games that feature 'head to head' competition and possible player elimination before the game is over? (The types of games are commonly known as Ameri-trash games.) Or are you looking for something without player elimination that often involves earning the most points to determine the winner (commonly known as 'Euro-games'). Or perhaps a cooperative team game or semi-cooperative game? There are tons of Historical / Modern / Sci-Fi games that folks find 'fun' and support up to 5 players.

Many of the Ameri-trash games have a more military bent to them, while the Euro-games (a.k.a. cube-pushers) have more of an economic engine (points engine) aspect to them.
>>
>>44878162
I just meant that you should get Prosperity next if you get an expansion. If you like it, continue. If you don't, don't
>>
>>44878406
>Summoner Wars
Thanks, but I'd like to try something non-fantasy if possible.
>>44878487
I am patient, it is just someone posts "thousand" and nothing else. Thing is, out group have players from different cities and even countries. So we can't really play at the table IRL.
As for what I am looking for, I think something like Talisman or similar. Where players can work together, or they can try and solo. I know that this sounds retarded, but not having much experience in board games, I can't really say more accurately. So, RPG elements could be cool.
Non-fantasy if possible.
>>
>>44878561
Eh, the fantasy theme is pasted on. The gameplay itself is fantastic, and though the app is a more slick product, the vassal module contains everything and has a stronger sense of community.
>>
>>44878656
Okay. Thank you again for suggestion.
>>
>>44878561
>Thing is, out group have players from different cities and even countries. So we can't really play at the table IRL.

Understood. I just wanted you to know you'll probably have to wait a while or even repost your request in another /bgg/ thread later to reach a wider audience.

>As for what I am looking for, I think something like Talisman or similar. Where players can work together, or they can try and solo.

OK, we're at least narrowing down what you are looking for, which is good and will help the people who know Vassal to point you in the right direction. Most games fall into one of these categories: Each player for themselves, 2 or more teams vs each other, full-cooperative (all players are part of a single team vs the game scenario), or semi-coop (where the players may have separate victory conditions but will still work together during the early stages of the game). Talisman, for example, is 'each player for themselves' as the victory conditions are for a single player reaching the "Crown of Command" and defeating the other players.

>Non-fantasy if possible.

There are plenty of games, but I still don't think I know if you're looking for a 'every player for themselves' style game or a team / coop game. And I'd still ask - do you want the possibility that players will be eliminated before the end of the game or not?
>>
>>44878561
>I am patient, it is just someone posts "thousand" and nothing else.
It's hard to make recommendations when the only criterion leaves thousands of options.

>As for what I am looking for, I think something like Talisman or similar. Where players can work together, or they can try and solo.
I have no experience with Talisman, but Dead of Winter is a contemporary zombie apocalypse game where players try to achieve a common goal while also accomplishing a secret personal objective. In addition, you can play with the risk of a traitor whose objectives involve ruining the colony (or you can leave that option out if you prefer).

I also have no experience with Vassal, so I don't know if it's available on it.
>>
>>44878968
>There are plenty of games, but I still don't think I know if you're looking for a 'every player for themselves' style game or a team / coop game. And I'd still ask - do you want the possibility that players will be eliminated before the end of the game or not?
I think having a co-op vs. scenario would be better. But having something like a secret agent/hidden enemy among the players can be fun too.
Player elimination is really undesirable.
>>44879030
Thanks. Will look into Dead of Winter.

Thank you both for help!
>>
>>44878561

>something like talisman

There's Relic, which is reskinned and different enough to warrant owning it and talisman and not feeling redundant.

Outside of that, sadly there aren't many "hit the road and go adventure" kinds of games out there.
>>
>>44879191
At least that aren't fantasy. There's the D&D stuff (like Wrath of Ashardalon) and D&D 'like' stuff such as Decent. Unfortunately it's all fantasy stuff.
>>
How do you guys usually deal with playing board games that doesn't have enough players for your BG group?
my group almost always consist of 5-6 people so we are usually playing 6 player games.

but theres a bunch of games i want to play but they are 4 players max. I dont want to feel like an ass and just not invite some people but I think i may just have to.
yeah, i know this is a problem I should work on myself but thought I'd ask you guys since I'm guessing you've ran into such problems before.
>>
So I just bought the 4 pack of tabletop simulator, but I don't know what to play with other 3 people. I'm looking for something co-op possibly
>>
>>44880495
Battlestar Galactica.
>>
>>44880495
I've been looking at this, just wondering if the games are free?
>>
>>44880448
I've had both issues, as my extended play group includes up to 10 people, but we usually have 3-5 people on a given night due to location and schedules. So sometimes there are games we can't play because there's too many of us, but the reverse also happens (and in particular, my 2-player games never get played).

I've offered people to just run two games simultaneously but for some reason they seem quite scared by the prospect of splitting us in two. Inviting only some of the people who may be available is something I do frequently, though. One couple in particular is part of our Mice & Mystics campaign, and another isn't. So the latter doesn't get invited for M&M nights, but we often play other games without inviting the former because it would make too many people.
>>
>>44880673
They are, at least for now.
>>
>>44880448
There are a number of good games that have expansions out that increase the number of players to 5 or 6. You could alternatively run a couple of different games at the same time like a mini 'meetup' gaming group. What games do you already own?

Suggestions for games with at least 5 (or more) players:

Citadels - 2 to 8 players
7 Wonders - 3 to 7 players
Dixit - 3 to 6
Coup - 3 to 6
Cosmic Encounter - 5+ (more with expansions)
Betrayal at House on the Hill - 3 to 6
Once Upon a Time - 2 to 6
Cutthroat Caverns - 3 to 6
Dark Moon - 3 to 7
Level 7 Omega Protocol - 2 to 6 (1 GM vs Team)
The Grizzled - 2 to 5
Terra Mystica - 2 to 5
Eclipse (Space 4x) - 2 to 6+ (more with expansions)
Roll for the Galaxy - 2 to 5
Rex - 3 to 6 (highly recommended at 6 players)
Exodus (Space 4x) - 2 to 6
Arctic Scavengers - 2 to 5
Nations - 1 to 5 (can be played solo)
Archipelago - 2 to 5 (can be played solo with expansion)
Cash-n-Guns - 4 to 8

There is no shortage of good games that support 5 or more.
>>
>>44880880
oh my problem isnt finding board games that are 5+ players.

my problem was wanting to play board games that are less than 5 players but with a group of usually 6 people.

like Robinson Crusoe. its a 4 player max game. the only way I can think of playing that game with my group is by having people team up.
>>
>What's in the mail?
Nothing right now. Last stuff we got were Xia Legends of a Drift System, 2 more boxes of EPIC, Descent Labyrinth Of Ruin, Kemet, and Eminent Domain.
On TTS we played Dice Castles which is a nice Burgundy like game that we're thinking of getting. Stone Age which we found rather dry and simplistic. Splendor which was really bad. The mechanics seemed fine, but for 2 players the 15 points to win just feels unsatisfying. Like it was arbitrary.
A few though mostly space games. Burning Suns and a classic hex and chit game.
>>
>>44880994
If that's the case, then see about running more than one game at a time. (Personally I have a lot of 2 player games that don't get a lot of play time due to usually having 3 or more players most game nights.) I know it can be tough because people seem to have this weird idea its 'anti-social' to have a 2 games going at the same time. A friend of mine started a meetup group that met monthly at a kick-ass Pub in Boston. On game night there would be any one of a dozen or more different games being played and easily 30+ players hanging out, eating & drinking, and checking out other games when not in their own game. It was fantastic, and I got to meet a lot of good people and try a number of games. (Many of which I later bought copies of / ended up in my collection...)
>>
>>44881001
>A few though mostly space games. Burning Suns and a classic hex and chit game.

I'm a big fan of Hex & Chit and Space 4x games - but I don't have much interest in 'Burning Suns' after another player shared this review. YMMV.

> I played a demo game at GenCon, honestly I wasn't impressed, and neither were the players I played with. In a ~3 hour game, we got maybe 1/3rd of the way up the victory point track. Getting VP is also the way your race gets its special powers, so if you were losing you just got to sit there watching other players do cool stuff while you got screwed. The biggest problem, in my opinion, was the lack of an endgame condition. In TI, there's Imperium Rex somewhere in the deck, Eclipse only lasts a certain number of rounds, but Burning Suns just goes until someone hits the VP cap. In our game, VP planets just sort of bounced back and forth between players and no one made any real progress. Also, having low leadership values as a race screws you over really hard. The way you construct a race at the beginning (think Small World, but a bit deeper) was really cool, the game also had some other interesting pieces here and there but as it stands I'd much rather play TI3 or Eclipse.
>>
>>44878561
>something like Talisman or similar
Well, I don't know if it's available on Vassal, but "Dilbert CEO" is a Talisman reskin where, instead of obtaining The Crown of Command, you get a fancy office.
>>
>>44881230
Yeah temporary VP over control points are a pretty terrible mechanic. That's basically star wars battlefront the board game. Having played a lot of these mechanics, I know that it either stalemate for a long time or snowballs. There aren't really many more options if you think about it. Especially when taking control points causes you battle strength entropy due to the defender hitting back. Now you're the defender and it repeats. If a player finds an anti meta strategy, it snowballs since she can now take other points and remain strong. This is why Risk is flawed for example. The thing that saddens me is in nearly every book on game design stuff like this gets talked about. That tells me they either forgot their training or are armchair designers
>>
>>44880448

I wish i had your problem. Half the time 1-3 people don't show up when we should have a full set of 6.

If you *do* have those situations just leave the games that have less then 5 players for those times.
>>
>>44882352
Eclipse is kind of interesting in that you don't get VPs for controlling sectors until the end of the game. What you get is the ability to produce resources and sometimes special techs for colonizing a sector. Where it gets ugly is the last few rounds which often tend to devolve into all out war for those final VPs.
>>
I've been looking to buy a new boardgame that be like an RPG and I found this two options that I find appealing. So I wanted to ask you, what do you guys think about them? What advantages and shortcomings thery have in comparison? Or if you recommend another game that would be similar to these.
>>
>>44884937
>I found this two options that I find appealing. So I wanted to ask you, what do you guys think about them?

What two games? You list nothing in your post, and there's no image attached.
>>
>>44884931
To be fair though TI3 does the exact same thing with Relics and the last public objectives that involve warfare.
>>
Bought Nostra City from the discount bin of my store, art looks good and knowing my group of game friends, it might be pretty fun.

Probably going to buy the new expansion of Elder Sign in March, although I haven't touched the game in months.
>>
File: low.jpg (296KB, 600x846px) Image search: [Google]
low.jpg
296KB, 600x846px
Does ANYONE in /tg/ know this game?

http://lords-of-war.com/about

It was originally launched in UK and they brought the initial packs to Germany. Sadly, the sales seemed to be very bad and I don't think the expansions will ever come here.
>>
Is that anon who bidded on Neuroshima Hex 3.0 around? Did you manage to get it?
>>
>>44886592
That's true, as does Kemet, but both supplement those transient VP very strongly with permeant ones, which strongly mitigates the problem while still allowing players to directly attack another players current VP count.
>>
File: 1396783297796.gif (19KB, 300x292px) Image search: [Google]
1396783297796.gif
19KB, 300x292px
>>44886723
I did indeed end up winning the auction. The final total was $36 plus shipping. Considering that the core game alone retails for $48, and at least 3 expansions are included (at $10 per expansion retail), I'm pretty pleased. So thank you very much for the heads up!

Pic related - MFW :)
>>
>>44888783
Awww yisss
>>
File: Sin título.jpg (243KB, 1035x503px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.jpg
243KB, 1035x503px
>>44885027
You're right. I missed that.
>>
>>44884937
>>44888863
Heh! Now at least hopefully someone will be able to answer your question. I don't own / haven't played either of those two so I can't help you out. That said, both games have come up here before so someone's bound to be able to hook you up with some feedback.
>>
File: 1414955254234.gif (4MB, 370x233px) Image search: [Google]
1414955254234.gif
4MB, 370x233px
>>44888807
After double checking the auction images, it looks like there are 7 expansions plus the core set. Even better!
>>
>>44889139
Yeah it was all of them except for the most recent I think. It looked like 3 of them were in ruski or whatever.
>>
>>44889154
Also it shouldn't matter that they're in whatever language because that game just uses tiles with numbers, right? All you'll need to do is find the manuals online for those expansions.
>>
>>44888863
I really like Arkham Horror. Mice and Mystics was talked about earlier in the thread.
>>
Im trying to get my family into boardgames, but they are a bunch of filthy casuals who are bad at complex games. Im gonna get Ticket to Ride for them. Any other great easy-to-learn games? Particularly ones that have a decent amount of depth once you really wade in?
>>
File: 1396291152143.png (138KB, 391x300px) Image search: [Google]
1396291152143.png
138KB, 391x300px
>>44889154
Time to start digging for some PDF Files. And thanks again. I've been wanting to pick up Hex for a while.
>>
File: Cannot into board gaming.jpg (238KB, 950x476px) Image search: [Google]
Cannot into board gaming.jpg
238KB, 950x476px
>>44889232
You might try:

Dixit
Funemployed
Telestrations
Cash-n-Guns

as a way of easing them into the notion that board games are fun.
>>
>>44880732
>>44880448
Having two (or more) games going at once is what I do all the time, works great. If one group finishes early they can play some light filler game until they other does, then form new groups.
>>
>>44889232
Pandemic (coop)
Guillotine (not particularly great, but a good opportunity to fuck with other people's plans gently)
Ticket to Ride the card game (simple but memorization required)
Love Letter (not much depth but quick and portable)
>>
>>44889204
I just read here that some guys don't like it. I saw it is upper in the BGG than Arkham Horror but I know that doesn't mean anything.

Can you tell me mora abouyt Arkham Horror? That's the one I've been really interested. What about replayability? Is it better with the expansions?
>>
>>44889166
As a follow up, yeah the chits are language free from the looks of them. As for the rules, oddly enough I couldn't find any of the rules for the expansions on Portal Games' web site. I ended up digging them up off of Board Game Geek of course.
>>
Random question, but...

How big is too big for a game board for you? Is this ever an issue?
>>
>>44891222
We almost couldn't play Blood Rage at my friends' place last week because their table is pretty small. Ended up putting the monsters and age trackers on a side table.
The Game of Thrones board game nearly occupies my entire table without the extension, but is playable.
>>
>>44891222
I always liked big board games for some reason.
It was never an issue for me, we play on an old pool table.
>>
>>44890421
between me and a friend we own all of the Arkham games put out by Fantasy Flight, here is a breakdown:

Arkham Horror: The original Arkham game, showing it's age however. In it you play investigators running around Arkham City trying to stop one of the great old ones being summoned. Lots of setup and takedown time, lots of rules, overall ok but surpassed by other games now.

Mansions of Madness: A Cthulhu themed dungeon crawl. Not the best one out there, (again, shows it age with the rules) but still can be fun and enjoyable. Setup and takedown still take a while, make sure the guy running the game reads his scenario info before everyone gets there.

Elder Sign: what if Yahtzee was fun and Cthulhu themed? You would have this game. setup and takedown are a breeze, perfect for if you want the HP Lovecraft game experience in an hour or less. Probably the easiest out of all the Arkham games (at least without any expansions)

Eldritch Horror: The latest and greatest, basically Arkham Horror but on a global scale instead of a city. Think Pandemic but with monsters. Better, quicker rules mean for most people this replaces Arkham Horror.

All these games have (or will eventually have) a gorillion expansions. This bloats the shit out of Arkham Horror and Mansions, Eldritch will have trouble fitting into one box, but Elder Sign is managable due to only being cards. IMO none are significantly improved with expansions except maybe Elder Sign.
>>
File: pic1279895_lg.jpg (217KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic1279895_lg.jpg
217KB, 1024x768px
>>44890421
>>44891222
This is Arkham will all expansions. It is too big.
>>
>>44891655
Jesus, how did that even happen...
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
>>44891655
YES!
>>
>>44875218
So do you need more than one copy of Karmaka to play with more than one other person?
>>
>>44877906
>>The Duke

Mah Nigga.
>>
>>44891661
6 years of Fantasy Flight will do that to a game.
>>
>>44891655
Sweet Mary, I'm not making my game anywhere near that insane. I just want to have a map of the world and was trying to work out the size I can work with.
>>
File: 1332188248606[1].jpg (20KB, 213x211px) Image search: [Google]
1332188248606[1].jpg
20KB, 213x211px
>>44891655
>all those fucking decks
>>
>>44891222
>>44892056
Twilight Struggle's map is probably the max size I'd use myself. Since you're planning on a world map though, having it atleast as large as Memoir 44's boards is probably fine, or even necessary depending on how much stuff you want on it.
>>
>>44891655
most likely a dumb question but can you actually play the game with all those expansions all at once?

I mean, i would imagine there would be some expansion limit or some shit. It just seems way too much.
>>
>>44891752
not the person youre replying too but no, you dont. you can play up to 4 players right out of the box.
>>
>>44891655
the more expansion you play the easier the game gets cause the truely hard card are getting more and more drown in the middle of some "non event" cards.
playing the game with 1 expansion and 1 mini expansion is the best way.
>>
>>44887256

I think Kemet is amazing this way. All the shenanigans in the last rounds like occupying someone's pyramids or attacking the leader just you can be bumped up 2 points makes an amazingly exciting ending.
>>
>>44889332

Polish probably. Just print the English instructions and the helper cards. The chits themselves don't have any text on them.
>>
>>44891222

Almost any game is too big for me right now - my table can barely contain Ghost Stories. Right now I'm playing on the floor but I'm planning to get bigger table. Anything that doesn't fit on a 1.2 x 1.8 table can then go fuck itself.
>>
>>44891960
Man, I wish.

> tfw StarCraft was discontinued
> tfw no expansions for RuneWars that allow more than 4 people to play
>>
>>44874819
>What's a good starter board game for a 4-5 year-old boy?
Hey, That's my Fish! is a great start.
>>
>>44874819
My First Carcassonne, Tok Tok Woodman, Arbos, Gulo Gulo, Loopin' Louie/Chewie?
>>
>>44874819

Twilight Imperium and then The Campaign for North Africa
>>
>>44892875
Hey, thanks!
I feel stupid but I really couldn't find that info on the page.
>>
>>44889548
I find that comic funny because half the time you usually need to read a fucking blog post to understand the punchline.
>>
>>44886713

Yeah, played it quite a few times.I thought there were three packs available in Germany. I think Lords of War is a neat little game, but I don't really have the desire to play it any more than I already have.
>>
>>44892706
It'd be an interesting experiment...
>>
>>44891930
Thanks. I own the regular version, but I used the print-n-play version to create a 'travel version' that uses rare-earth magnets to keep the chits in place.
>>
File: Campaign for North Africa 2.jpg (52KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Campaign for North Africa 2.jpg
52KB, 500x375px
>>44895391
Child abuser... ;)
>>
>>44851184
Terra Mystica.
>>
>>44874819
Ugg-tect, Terror in Meeple City, basically any dexterity game.
>>
File: pic1431241[1].jpg (421KB, 1280x890px) Image search: [Google]
pic1431241[1].jpg
421KB, 1280x890px
>>44882352
>Yeah temporary VP over control points are a pretty terrible mechanic.
I'll fuckin' fight you m8.
>>
>>44892706
Apparently each expansion has its own goals such as having to kill the Dunwich Horror so I'd imagine the players to be at an extreme disadvantage with all the expansions.
>>
>http://www.twitch tv/angryjoeshow/v/36481118
>videogame youtube personalities starting to pick up board game coverage

how does /bgg/ feel?
>>
>>44898345
Did you miss Total Biscuit playing them for the past year?
>>
>>44898345
Vaguely annoyed.
Being popular with stupid people hs rarely done anyone any favors.
Except for money, which the industry isn't exactly short on right now.
>>
>>44898380

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674001886&content=reviews

It's going to be alright anon.
>>
>>44898345
I hope people like him stay away from the covering board games. Don't like his style, it's cringe. Hope his fans stay with video games and leave us be.
>>
>>44898345
That's nice, more people will be exposed to modern board gaming.
>>
How do i get people to play board games with me? Most of my friends aren't into it.
>>
>>44898678
Don't worry, the call of duty crowd is definitely not hopping over to tabletop games.
>>
>>44899054
find new friends
>>
>>44899054
There comes a point in one's life when you circle of friends shifts from friends of proximity to friends of shared interests. You have reached that point.
>>
Wait, so question. How does pandemic legacy work anyways?
>>
>>44898278
Person you replied to here. I wasn't talking about Kemet. Kemet is extremely tight. And damn right you'll fight me since that earns you permanent VP.

In an even number player game though, you have to admit that it's harder to get permanent VP as only the Sphynx, Eye of Horus and battle can do it. And the other two are limit 1 a player. Temporary VP only really work in Kemet because of the extremely limited number of actions you can take against your opponent. In my example, I specify that it's a situation where players can freely attack the defender.
>>
>>44898417
>Libertarian
Pffffffffftt...
>>44899054
Local facebook groups, meetup.com, noticeboard in your local gaming shop... the list goes on
>>
File: 1445458674744.jpg (433KB, 1000x1166px) Image search: [Google]
1445458674744.jpg
433KB, 1000x1166px
>>44891655
>>44891629
And here I am, feeling proud I was able to put all expansions of Elder Sign in one box + candy box.

I will give a look to Eldritch Horror, although something tells me a Lovecraft-themed game might be more than enough for a collection.
>>
>>44899327
There's also permanent VP for saccing at the delta temple and for controlling two temples.
>>
What is your opinion on Doom: The Board Game?
Anyone got pros and cons?
>>
>>44899327
I just read "temporary vp over control points are a terrible mechanic," none of that other shit. You were making a universal claim mang.
>>
>>44899342
>tfw the city where you live doesn't have a local gaming shop
>>
>>44899576
Pro: It's great.
Con: It's probably not quite as good as gears of War, paradoxically, and it's even MORE out of print.
>>
>>44900436
Sorry, Gears of War is more out of print or DOOM?
>>
>>44900570
Other way around
>>
>>44899540
Only in odd number player games, anon. Reread my post. You use the front of the board in even number games.
>>
>>44899613
No, a claim was made for the specific game in question and backed up by supporting statements that narrow the claim down. Did you really want someone to type "Temporary VP over control points in games where actions are more abundant than an arbitrary limit such as in Kemet, and therefore defenders are at a disadvantage after controlling -- are a terrible mechanic"? Because that's what the following supporting statements reveal. Don't blame others for your lack of reading and being overzealous.
>>
>>44900750
Wat?
>>
>>44901127
Doom is very, very out of print.
Gears of War was a pseudo-sequel to Doom, on the same system and sharing some mechanics, but dropping the overlord player. Gears is also out of print, but has been so for less time than Doom.
>>
>>44899307
never played it before but as far as i know its pretty much just pandemic with permanent choices. as in, every new game you have to deal with the choices you in the previous game.
so like if you close off an area, that area is closed off for good.
>>
>>44899054
>Most of my friends aren't into it.

how do you know they arent into it? have you bothered asking?
i guess if they are straight up normies, then I suppose you are fucked.
>>
>>44901712
Semi permanent, or fully permanent?
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.