[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Genetics and Ethnicity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: image_preview.jpg (32KB, 361x400px) Image search: [Google]
image_preview.jpg
32KB, 361x400px
How do you tie an ethnicity to genetics?
>>
haplogroups

imminent >>>/pol/ invasion, everybody abandon thread
>>
>>7848675
you don't
you tie data to regions and faces

∆ frequencies of particular Single point mutations are used

ethnicity isn't a thing unless you're tracing tribal origines, look at the data from the Ashkenazim jews
>>
>>7848686
Since when are ethnicities based on haplogroups?
Ethnicity is a much older concept than that.

>>7848688
>you don't
That's what I think as well, but how do I proof something that doesn't exist?

>∆ frequencies of particular Single point mutations are used
Can you break that sentence down to me a bit?
Do you locate those mutations in the current time or might they reach into the past?
>>
>>7848675
With genetic markers that people originating from the same area share, which are basically always non-coding DNA.
>>
>>7848730
So what if an ehtnic circle got constant gene contribution from a neighbouring third party effecting the genetic make up over time, while not contributing to the lmaguage, culture... ethnic self identification?
>>
>>7848720
>ethnicity is a much older concept than genetics
Haplogroups is the genetic explanation for ethnicity, which is what OP asked.

You're asking for a scientific explanation of a heuristic phenomenon, you can't complain that one is much older than the older considering the entire field of genetics is only ~150 years old at most.
>>
>>7848740
I'm not complaining, but saying that ethnic emergence doesn't obey to that particular much younger set of biological rules.

The proof lies in the fact that the concept of ethnicity is much older than that of haplogroups and therefore wasn't even able to rely on haplogroups in order to be defined.
>>
>>7848738
If you're trying to link cultural aspects to genetics I doubt you're gonna have any luck. Culture is inherently non-genetic.

Also, I find it unlikely that neighboring groups would have constant high frequency genetic mixing without having cultural exchanges as well.
>>
>>7848752
Because ethnicities are a unreliable heuristic, they are not a concept with rigorous or scientific boundaries. Like I said. i.e. someone could share the same genotype as a Turk, but he could look Greek and act Greek.

In the old concept of ethnicity, this person would be considered Greek when genetics say not really.
>>
>>7848754
>If you're trying to link cultural aspects to genetics I doubt you're gonna have any luck. Culture is inherently non-genetic.
I understand this and I'm thankful for your input. Though I'm still searching for how to break this down to someone who trying to proof to me that a specific culture isn't of its own since it doesn't own the required genetics.
>Also, I find it unlikely that neighboring groups would have constant high frequency genetic mixing without having cultural exchanges as well.
Let's take a current day example: In the USA the origin of genetic influx stands in no noteworthy proportionality to a possible linguistic contribution.

>>7848774
How do you subscribe a genetic appearance to an ehtnicity? Can an ehtnicity claim copy rights for a specific marker?
>>
>>7848787
I'm not really sure what you're trying to at here. Culture is learned, not encoded genetically. If you take a Japanese baby and drop it in the middle of Russia, it will learn to be Russia. And if you take any baby and raise them in a box they probably won't be culturally anything.

The closest thing you can get to genetics effecting a person's cultural identity is people treating you one way because of how you look.

>Can an ehtnicity claim copy rights for a specific marker?

It's pretty much irrelevant. Genetic markers are used as markers because they're not coding for anything, and thus not subject to any meaningful natural selection. They can tell you where your ancestral origins probably are, which is ultimately meaningless culturally, unless you have no other personal identity.
>>
Samefag as here >>7848818

Imagine this hypothetical:
You have a Chinese man with a strong Chinese identity. Then this man gets a genetics test and finds out he's genetically more Mongolian than Chinese (probably because Genghis Khan went around and had a thousand rape babies).

Should this man move to Mongolia and start learning throat singing and horsemanship and archery? It's an absurdity with no biological answer.
>>
haplogroups
>>
*cringes*
>>
File: fft18_mf5283875.jpg (47KB, 450x604px) Image search: [Google]
fft18_mf5283875.jpg
47KB, 450x604px
This is doesn't matter
k*rd Turk Arab Laz cherkess
The real matter is being Muslim and loving our Leader
May Allah guide to you to the right way
>>
bu tiradi mi basiyoruz beyler
>>
File: TRUTH.jpg (45KB, 320x255px) Image search: [Google]
TRUTH.jpg
45KB, 320x255px
>>7848967
evet
>>
>>7848970
mq hititci gel diyecektim zaten gelmis :dd
>>
File: erdogan-1174039-465x309.jpg (58KB, 465x309px) Image search: [Google]
erdogan-1174039-465x309.jpg
58KB, 465x309px
>>7848974
ben hitiçi değilim bir gün olacağım inşALLAH
>>
You don't OP.

http://www.livescience.com/53613-race-is-social-construct-not-scientific.html
>>
>>7848720
you can't prove a concept that hasn't been rigorously defined OP

im sorry to see the turks have claimed your thread, i think its about time we nuked it
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.