[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RIP Marvin Minsky

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 26minsky-obit-web-blog427.jpg (56KB, 427x536px) Image search: [Google]
26minsky-obit-web-blog427.jpg
56KB, 427x536px
>>
>>7811148
Who is this semen demon
>>
>>7811154
This is a well-written article on him:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/business/marvin-minsky-pioneer-in-artificial-intelligence-dies-at-88.html?_r=0
>>
>>7811148
Damn, I wasn't even aware he died. RIP.
>>
>>7811154

Semyon Demonevich
>>
File: 1437518580777.jpg (62KB, 562x530px) Image search: [Google]
1437518580777.jpg
62KB, 562x530px
>>7811148

Came to post this thread. Rest in fucking piss. This video helped me get through my depression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S43WaQywDbw
>>
>>7811169
Same.
This came as a shock.
This is like a warning telling us we'll die before strong AI is a thing.
>>
He was so above all of this shit at the end of his life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRxQQ5N180Y
>>
>>7811242
You can feel his disappointment in the turn that the AI field took.
Truly heartbreaking.
>>
>>7811246
Haven't watched the entire video yet. What turn did he mean? Machine Learning bubble?
>>
File: 1440697715176.png (52KB, 162x173px) Image search: [Google]
1440697715176.png
52KB, 162x173px
>>7811242

>More research is being done, but it feels like it's going backwards.

;.;
>>
>>7811242
Only 3 minutes in but this is hard to watch. Almost seems like they are trying to set him up as a crack pot since his views appear to be non-mainstream. As if he is some sort of animal in a zoo. Seems disrespectful to me how they treat him, but I could be wrong. Have to finish this video before I can make a more accurate assessment.
>>
>>7811247
Amongst other.
The approach to AI nowadays is nothing like the kind of research he conducted when he was still active in the field.
>>
>>7811252
What did he focus in?
>>
>>7811259

He cofounded the MIT artificial intelligence lab. He was a cognitive scientist who handled the "machine consciousness" aspect of AI.
>>
>>7811261
That would be a dream job.
Well, if the fundings followed that is..
>>
>>7811148
so did they freeze him?
>>
>>7811263

>implying he wasn't uploaded to a PETMAN at boston dynamics
>>
>>7811263
he was on Alcor's scientific advisory board, you can bet your ass he was frozen.
>>
>>7811263
yeah he was, how does it feel that he'll be alive well after your death?
>>
>>7811606
Why so aggressive anon? His response didn't seem to mock cryonics nor minsky
>>
>>7811631
sorry, maybe the tone sounded wrong but I didn't mean to sound aggressive
>>
We all know the standard story here, no?

Guys like Minsky wanted to apply mathematics to intelligence, to understand it at a fundamental level like we do physics. This was at a time when computers were crude and expensive and it was thought that you would need a very smart approach to leverage the computer power you had. This turned out to be very hard to do, and was ultimately of limited success. Meanwhile, computers became much more powerful and cheap. Researchers made progress by trying very simple things, not based on a deep understanding of intelligence, and throwing a ton of computer power at it. This latter approach, at least for now, seems to have won out.

Looking back, Minsky felt that the field has regressed, offering little insight into the nature of intelligence. He looks at the sophistication in early papers and compares it to the crude practicality (and success?) of modern papers and laments over the decay.
>>
>>7811958
So his methods failed, why are people crying over him?
>>
>>7811985

> make groundbreaking research for my time
> advance applied maths & cs on many levels
> spin off & inspire countless others
> mfw have no face when reading this question
>>
File: actor_11537.jpg (18KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
actor_11537.jpg
18KB, 210x240px
>>7811995
>Jewish
>>
>>7812006

>>>/pol/
>>
>>7811958
>This latter approach, at least for now, seems to have won out.
What did it exactly won? Because it sure didn't bring us closer to making a real AI.
Thing like Watson are nothing else but dumb grinding machines with no real insight in what's intelligence.

>>7811985
His methods only failed because they needed more time and money than companies/government were comfortable pouring into AI.
It doesn't make them wrong.
>>
>>7812019
I'm joking man, I'm not even white. Fuck the Nazis.
>>7812020
Can you explain why his methods could have given us real AI as opposed to what we have now?
>>
>>7812020
>What did it exactly won? Because it sure didn't bring us closer to making a real AI.

Well, the hackneyed response to this is that it's like saying we aren't really flying because airplanes don't fly like birds.
>>
>>7812049

well said anon.
>>
>>7812031
I cannot say for sure whether or not the way Minsky envisioned the creation of a strong AI is 100% correct. No one can.
But what I'm profoundly convinced of is that he was on the right track, thinking of the mind as a set of operators organized as a society, divided in major centers in which occur the several processes of the mind such as language processing, logical thinking, forecasting and such.
What we have now is a set of tools that rely on sheer computational power and only are efficient at doing one thing.
Computer scientists and engineers nowadays are too focused and encouraged (by Google and such) to create softwares that are efficient at solving very specific problems, when a strong AI should be about understanding and addressing every problem possible, no matter how inefficient it is in its endeavor compared to specialized softwares.

>>7812049
The problem with that metaphor is that we don't have systems that emulate intelligence yet.
We don't have the "airplanes" of the AI field.
What would be comparable is that we have the ability to make motors, wings and the fuselage, but we don't know how to assemble those to effectively make an airplane.
>>
>>7812074
>I can do everything but I am shit at it
This is why Windows is bad. We want AI to do a specific task be that drive a car or fly a drone. The only people who want AI that they can have a chat with are virgins.
>>
>>7812101
I feel sorry for you.
Anyway, RIP Minsky.
>>
>>7812106

nvm him, some may just not get the bigger picture of it. Has always been, will always be.
>>
>>7812101

Artificially intelligent language (including dialogue) are absolutely integral to AI research. Aside from the ergonomics they offer on the business side (reduced costs in customer service), the models underlying the most effective non-rule-based AI systems have given us pretty significant insight into the limits and future of our current models of intelligence. The language and communication of our own brains is a vital middle point between our thoughts and our actions (though both aren't necessarily correlated), and modeling that accurately may be the first step in achieving limited sentience (which would contribute to your own stated ultimate objective of artificial intelligence by allowing for a greater range of natural learning).
>>
>>7812133
>The language and communication of our own brains is a vital middle point between our thoughts and our actions (though both aren't necessarily correlated), and modeling that accurately may be the first step in achieving limited sentience (which would contribute to your own stated ultimate objective of artificial intelligence by allowing for a greater range of natural learning).
Utter bullshit when you consider that animals do not have our linguistic capabilities and still manage to distill their thoughts into actions and have sentience.
>>
>>7812145

Animals do communicate. We do it through languages; animals have other means.
>>
>>7812133
Wow you are a natural. You've got the grant-writing style down cold. I can't stand it (lots of high falutin' text that says and promises little) but honestly you've got a valuable talent.
>>
>>7812150
Your statement is still utterly meaningless BS.
>>
>>7811158
>he would improvised baroque fugues
Wow
>>
>>7812557

This is what you say. What are your research credentials, if you don't mind me asking? I'm only asking so that I can objectively gauge how much I should care about your opinion.

Given that I do have concrete research exposure in the field under figures who agree, I still stand by my statement that communication is a valid and important vector for understanding and replicating sentience. You're free to prove me wrong by doing so otherwise.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.