[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to self study calculus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 292079.jpg (19KB, 318x454px) Image search: [Google]
292079.jpg
19KB, 318x454px
Shitty major, need to learn calculus, both rigurous and applied books welcome... Halp
>>
>>7808621
>>>/adv/
>>
>>7808621
It's a TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE idea to self study analysis from Rudin.

First study calculus from something like stewart + mit ocw lectures. Then read a book on proofs like "How to prove it, a structured approach". Then you can start with analysis. Terence Tao's Analysis I and II are amazing books that guide you through the process of understanding formal math as well as giving you a construction of the number sets and a nice description of naive set theory which is amazing to have early on.

do NOT fall for the rudin meme. it's an amazing and concise reference book but it is notoriously terrible for self study
>>
>>7808628
>It's a TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE idea to self study analysis from Rudin.
do NOT fall for the rudin meme
/thread
>>
>>7808628
Is steward good ?
>>
>>7808628

honestly, This, I started out doing some analysis with rudin, but quickly found myself drawn to other books. Naturally, everything in the Rudin is really required learning if you are thinking about a graduate degree, but it can be frustrating for, even strong, students new to analysis.
>>
>>7808642
stewart is recommended because it's easy, a light introduction and I think it has a lot of exercises or something? seems like a pretty good book for starting off for what I've seen, but really the MIT OCW lectures by themselves are enough if you want
>>
>>7808629
>>7808628
>>7808646
Is Spivak a meme too?
>>
>>7809629
You're a meme
>>
>>7808628
Rudin is a retarded meme spouted by autists. Rudin is meant for junior or senior students who already know calculus and want to learn analysis.
>>
>>7808621
Rudin is an excellent book. Some people would say it's bad because it doesn't focus on calculating integrals and stuff. Well, you shouldn't calculate integrals by hand. It's 2016, we have computers.

However, be careful and don't try to do all exercises in Rudin. Some of them are really hard and not very useful for understanding material.
>>
Has anyone used Trench's real analysis book? Is it any good?
>>
>>7808628
This
>>
>>7811674
Bumping
>>
>>7810456
>rudin is good!
>don't do the exercises

you clearly don't know what you're talking about. if you're not able to do the exercises, you're not understanding shit. rudin is an excellent reference book and a lousy book for self study.

absolutely nobody thinks that rudin's bad because it "doesn't focus on calculation", what the fuck?
>>
>>7812084
Suggestions for self study senpai ?
>>
How are Tom Apostol's volumes of calculus?
>>
>>7812136
Tao's Analysis I is really really good, especially for a first exposure to math. See >>7808628

>>7812146
very good. they're great for a review of calculus with more rigor before you go to analysis, or just to know your calculus well after you already had a first course
>>
>>7808628
This is so true, op what ever you do follow this advice
>>
>>7809629
>7809629
not much of a meme as rudin but its still hard to start off with.
>>
>>7812174
And for a first course on calculus?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.