[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who here /English major/ about to graduate this semester.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Hemingway.jpg (41KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
Hemingway.jpg
41KB, 768x432px
who here /English major/

about to graduate this semester.
>>
>>25914484

here you go pynchon
>>
>>25914939
We don't have "majors" in my country, but I graduated with an English degree just under 3 years ago.

Good luck, OP.
>>
>>25914939
How's about /kill yourself/ so we don't have to listen to your bitch ass whining about how you can't get a job with your shit degree? Worthless pos
>>
>>25914984
>English
>Useless
How did you just right that post? I'll rest my case...
>>
>>25914999
>right

Have it your way you obvious shitcunt.
>>
See you in the useless degree threads m8. They're the ones with the picture of someone grilling patties as the thumbnail
>>
>>25914939
What was your life plan when you thought you'd study this subject?

Like... y'know can't you already speak that language?
>>
File: 1424112021391.jpg (9KB, 222x216px) Image search: [Google]
1424112021391.jpg
9KB, 222x216px
>>25914962
SMOOTH
M
O
O
T
H
>>
>>25915046
I thought I wanted to be a teacher. I am thinking about getting a TESOL masters so I can teach foreigners english. Maybe teach english in Japan or something
>>
English isn't a terrible degree. Companies need good communicators now as much as they ever have, if not more. Thing is you'll want to build up a portfolio of whatever kind of work you do to prove you're effective. I'm an English major and posting from my own office at a small market research company. I'm no great success but it's not the death sentence that STEMlords would have you believe

>>25915069
Do not aspire to teaching English in Japan; that is as low tier as it gets. If you're a weeb, learn Japanese and get a real job there.
>>
>>25914962
Kek. Niiice

This still ain't roginalfn?
>>
>>25915069
>I am thinking about getting a TESOL masters so I can teach foreigners english. Maybe teach english in Japan or something

From what I've heard they'll take literally anyone with a pulse and any kind of bachellors degree. You could have done STEM and still gone to teach English to kawaii japanese schoolgirls.
>>
>>25914962
The problem with the 'useless degree' meme is it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Physicists (masters and above) are in high demand due to low supply and writers (English/journalism) are in high demand due to there being more publications than ever before. Hell, in the fifties, before the fucking internet, so called 'pulp' magazines were paying unqualified writers just to add volume.

Here's what happens: people hear their degree is useless then don't network during their degree because, hey, what's the point. Then without knowing anyone they conclude since there are no classified ads for 'English majors' that it's a useless degree and perpetuate that myth.

Society, as a whole, is left with a deficit of talent since the people who get the jobs are the ones that just show up.
>>
>>25915206
>Society, as a whole, is left with a deficit of talent since the people who get the jobs are the ones that just show up

You mean the ones who show up... to work... and have work experience on their resume instead of spending 3-4 years of their adult lives basically living in a glorified daycare center?
>>
>>25915069
currently teaching english in south korea, so here is some info if you want it.

-if you have an actual english degree i don't think you'll need any sort of TEFL or TESOL, BUT those certs are more about teaching than they are about the language
-if you do want to teach english, there are so many places in the world you can go
-contracts can be just a few months, to 6 months to 1 year
-the "thing" is that once you taught for 1 year, you're pretty in. after 2-3 years (at least from what i hear anyway) you can start to negotiate your contract more
-there is NO shortage of work; at least in korea. bum around this site: http://www.waygook.org/ it was started by teachers in korea. look at the job board, new things are being posted each day. and there are numerous facebook groups that are always posting jobs.
>those are some highlights. if you have any particular questions, i'll bookmark and monitor this thread for a bit

side note about english being worthless: i have a pol sci degree and international studies minor. those are just about worthless. i wished i had at least gotten a minor in english. it seems like there is an actual marketable skill there.
>>
>>25915313
I thought about teaching English in Spain. But apparently Japan pays well. I also want a Tesol degree because I dont know the first thing about teaching and I could also get a teaching certificate through the same program.
>>
>>25915242
Yeah work experience looks good, the sky is blue on a cloudless day too.

Guess you're fucked, since you don't magically generate experience through shitposting. Don't you wish you were a baby boomer before experience was a thing? As everyone born after 1990 knows the job market isn't cylical and was invented by Nixon in the 70s.

Or are you trying to say a degree is worthless because experience is better.

"Gee, I can't seem to find any internships for physics."

"Maybe it's because you don't have the qualifications? Try going to university."

"What? And waste time at a glorified daycare? No thanks. According to my meme research I'd have better luck finding work experience with zero qualifications."
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.