[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WE ARE BACK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

some other boards of 4chan are just horrible. I'm glad you guys are back

Can somebody please, please recommend me a tent, for two persons that isn't two expensive but delivers?

I've been thinking about Grand Mesa 2, what do you guys think?
>>
>>982794
What will you be doing?
>car camping, backpacking, hunting, etc.
>single wall or double wall
>will you be using tent poles or trekking poles

we need more
>>
Can anyone recommend me a tent for one
I don't want to socialize while I'm camping anymore
>>
We didn't deserve that.
>>
File: phoenix_jtnp.png (207KB, 1338x475px) Image search: [Google]
phoenix_jtnp.png
207KB, 1338x475px
>>982799
well I have a camping reservation a week and a half from now to pic related (Joshua Tree National Park) and it will be my first /out/ experience. I also don't know much about the differences between tent poles vs trekking poles.

Places I'd like to visit next
Sequoia NP
Big Sur
Zion
Teton
I wouldn't mind single wall, although I'm guessing double is preferred?

Just give me as much tips as you can, it's appreciated anon
>>
I don't use either /soc/ or /out/ but I felt pretty bad for you guys. /soc/ is actually worse than /b/ and /pol/ from what I saw. You guys seem cool though
>>
>>982805
not at all, if anything I think they should've been merged with r9k, if anything we should have been merged with /ck/
>>
>>982805
I had fun on /vint/,/spa/,/fitlit/,and /cock/
You guys got a raw deal though
>>
>>982806
Still, how are you going to carry your tent to the camping spot. It's important. Are you car camping or backpacking, what anon asked here was actually important >>982799 Anons here will help you but you need to read the answers and take your time. This is a slow board. So calm down and describe your circumstances and we will be able to help
>>
>>982805
No we didn't. Still, I take it as a mudslide that cut the path. We make our way anyway.
>>
>>982809
I mean, even /mlp managed to get a better deal with /pol than us, what they did with this board was just cruel. :(
>>
>>982805
That's what you get for being anti /k/ elitists.

>gun board continues to be the best board.
>>
File: outsoc.jpg (911KB, 2080x1680px) Image search: [Google]
outsoc.jpg
911KB, 2080x1680px
>>982805
>>
>>982817
geez, /soc/ is like the trashiest dregs of facebook had a baby with the darkest parts of 4chan. I'm glad I can go back to pretending it doesn't exist again
>>
>>982811
So I will be actually driving/renting a car to Joshua Tree, and most likely will for the next national parks I visit. I however see the benefits of having a light tent vs something heavy in case I have to go for hikes... or travel to another country (I plan to go to Colombia during the summer) and there I probably won't have a car.

I am actually looking into sleeping bags as well. Like I mentioned before this is my first time and I'm not an expert. I don't even know what double walled means but if it means more privacy, then I'll take it.
>>
>>982805
If they merged with a slower board it would be fine or at least one that can deal with out.
>>
>>982821
Double wall means a tent plus a mesh on top of it. It's the mesh tent and the outer shell combined. I'll post tomorrow with at least a couple of recommendations.
>>
>>982824
cool man I'm also going to sleep

night anons!
>>
That was harrowing.
>>
File: outsoc.jpg (216KB, 1185x747px) Image search: [Google]
outsoc.jpg
216KB, 1185x747px
>>982817
>>
>>982794
>/out/ got /soc/
Holy shit, thats terrible.
>>
>>982809
Did you go on /can/? God that was so comfy, everyone was happy and got along. That was the best merge by far.
>>
Whoever thought of that merger should be shot.
I'm so sorry y'all had to deal with that.
>>
File: P1070265-2.jpg (84KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
P1070265-2.jpg
84KB, 640x480px
Kelty salida 2 is just over a hundred bucks. It's a lil over 4 lbs. It's not ultralight but it's a great option for a couple. It's good cause I works week car camping, you can backpack with it, it's good solo and it's cheap. If you or your wife is fat then get something bigger.
>>
>>982794

I have to agree that we are truly a board on it's own.
>>
If there are only two things in this world I love, it's the outdoors and skinny twinkboys. So /out/ and /soc/ are lovely places for me to spend some time.

That said crushing /out/ and /soc/ together was a terrible mix. Like putting hot sauce on your apple pie.
>>
Zpacks Duplex
>>
>>982794
OP, get yourself a set of hiking poles. You'll use them in the future, and they can double as a tent pole.

Learn how to camp with a flat tarp. It's a skill that you'll appreciate in the future. You can set up several different types of structures with it, depending upon the weather. And they're inexpensive.
>>
>>>/outsoc/
>>
>>982860
I was gunna recommend this as its probably the best 2p tent on the market as far as backpacking is concerned but it costs 600USD.... I've owned cars that cost less than that tent.
>>
File: bannned.jpg (218KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
bannned.jpg
218KB, 1280x1024px
>>982817
>>982839
/soc/ was created as a containment board for the cancer that consumed /b/
It is the worst board here
>flood my internet home with concentrated cancer
>ban me for defending it
I forgot how protective /soc/ mods are of their safe space for narcissistic normies
>>
>>982815
>for being anti /k/ elitists
Is this true /out/ friends?
>>
File: triggering intensifies.jpg (16KB, 300x209px) Image search: [Google]
triggering intensifies.jpg
16KB, 300x209px
>>983074
/k/ assumes that everyone who doesn't want to carry a gun on their person at all times it anti-gun. so when they get told that no, you don't need the surplus weight while backpacking to protect yourself against babby black bears they get triggered.

also we're less tolerant of the operator/camo/molle look here, which /k/ loves to larp with.
>>
>>983042
Is there a list of all the mergers?
>>
>>983080
>you don't need the surplus weight while backpacking to protect yourself against babby black bears
I think other humans would warrant the surplus weight more than bears. Or does most of /out/ backpack where they're less likely to enounter people?
>>
File: 1434156459217.gif (1MB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
1434156459217.gif
1MB, 280x280px
>>983080
This anon pretty much nailed it.

>hey guys what's the best gun for hiking
>>>/k/
>Fuck you /out/
>mfw
>>
>>983110
Has this literally ever happened?

t. /k/
>>
>>983112
Why did /out/ get the worst merge? I guess /fitlit/ would've been annoying but they seem to have something in common with bettering themselves.
>>
>>983180
Yap, I remember a couple threads where that happened.
>>
>>983181
Somehow, /fitlit/ worked out really well. I think we got the worst merge of all. /soc/ is just cancer.
>>
>>983207
Dude we deserved it

/out/ is just getting worse with time. They wanted to show us what we were getting ourselves into letting tripfags and shitposters fuck our board up.
>>
>>982817
>>982839
Kek. Anymore /outsoc/ screencaps?
You guys really got the worst possible merge.
>>
>>982794
OP asks for tent suggestions and theres only 2 legitimate ones. Come on guys, really?

Check out tarp tent. they have several good models that are affordable. Some require trekking pole as a support, or you can pack a single tent pole.
>>
>>982863
Could you care to share a link or a legit video explaining better about camping with a flat tarp? I'd love to learn about but since this is my first time and my reservations to Joshua Tree are soon I don't find myself in a position where I find comfortable improvising in something I don't fully know.
>>982845

>>982860
>>982872
This one looks amazing and I checked out some reviews of it, if it wasn't for the money I would absolutely get it. I was amazed at the weight, great stuff no doubt.
>>982845
I actually looked into it and it seems like this is probably the best option for me at this point. It isn't too heavy, it's a little bit bigger than the Kelty Mesa 2. I'm not fat nor do I have a wife (that'd be cool though) but if I ever get the chance to have a close friend or family member I want to have the space to have them in. So I'm probably going to buy this.

NOW
what sleeping bag should I buy guys? I just saw and they aren't cheap at all. I feel like Kelty is trustworthy but... do you have any recommendations?
-I'm not planning on camping over cold weather/snow any time soon, but I plan on going to the Sierras (California) which can get cold during the year.
-I'd be cool at staying at places like Zion so maybe something that won't suffocate me if it gets too hot.
-Something lightweight, as I will be car camping.... but I usually rent cars and flight back home so I need something light to carry around the airport.

Thanks guys
>>
Hey op again ... serious question, are, dare I say, Walmart tents really that bad? I saw a few and they were like 45bucks. Any advice on those?
>>
>>982845
I have one of these
can recommend

light enough for overnighters
easy breezy setup, quality poles and hooks

I got one on black friday
>>
>>983562
Bumping for this question
>>
File: image.jpg (126KB, 732x446px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 732x446px
>>982794

Last week I went camping on the Mogollon rim in Arizona. Really nice but cold for my desert bones.

I got turned around (kinda lost) at one point when I traveled off of FR300 Mogollon Rim Road. When I figured out where my location, I was shocked to find out I was in the spot where Travis Walton claims he was abducted by ayyy lmaos back in the day. They made the movie Fire in the Sky about it. Pretty cool just thought I'd share.

Also, I found a pioneer graveyard. Also pretty cool. I'll upload pics if they are good
>>
>>983562
>>983810
they're heavy and the have terrible ventilation, but they're cheap and if you want to get one to see if you like camping they'll work. just remember that when you wake up in the morning and it's 4000 degrees inside the tent that's a side affect of a cheap tent, and not representative of all tents.
>>
>>983425
I have a kelty grand mesa 2, it's pretty good, plenty big enough for me and my gf but neither of us is very big. I have carried it backpacking but I prefer a hammock. The tent sets up very fast.

I've also camped in it in the winter, we put down a tarp built a windblock out of snow and slept on some inflatable pads. It wasn't warm but it was tolerable.

I've also slept in it during a severe thunderstorm on the Apostle islands on lake superior, more than an inch of rain overnight and we didn't get wet despite a small stream forming right through the tent site. I was very impressed. I bet you will be happy with the slightly larger kelty.
>>
>>982794
Honestly bud, what tent to buy is HUGELY dependent on what you'll be doing. There really isn't a clear "general social opinion" on them. Most of us have numerous tents for various situations, and yes, you really do get what you pay for.

That being said, if you know deep down that camping won't be a serious thing, then just buy a FOUR person tent from walmart for $45. It will eventually break or tear (every single one that I owned either tore a small hole or the zipper broke off), but it'll be more than sufficient for a couple nights out of the year for camping.
Just make sure walmart is not far away when it does brake.
>>
>>983425
"Camping with a flat tarp" is just a general camping technique, similar to making fire, collecting water, etc.

There are a number of ways to use a tarp and any one of them can be a godsend in different situations. Plus the tarp in of itself can be used for a fuckton of different uses. It's just one of those things every camper needs on them when trail or car camping.
>>
>>983562
>>983810
see
>>984037
This

They'll fall apart for sure (eventually). It's basically because everything about them is super cheap. Like, single seam stiching, polyester (tarp) materials, multiple seams instead of one "bathtub" type seam, etc. Also there's the added jewing of simply cheaping out on the necessities, like not having a sufficiently large enough rain fly, or guy lines that are too short and just generally bullshit. Basically everything a non-informed primitive camper isn't going to look for / notice or care about. They are the simply aimed at first-time amateurs who have yet to fully embrace a few ass raviging mistakes.

But if you've conditioned yourself with tenting, and know what, how, and when to do things properly, then you can get them to last several outings before the general wear and tear starts to tear them apart.

Case in point, all of the WalMart tents I own currently have problems that keep me from using them:

-ripped floors
-pole girdles that have torn off (and causing structural issues since that portion of the tent can't attach to poles anymore)
-zippers ripped off
-material weaves that have spread apart allowing moisture to permeate the tent

One of the worst outings I've ever had was in a WalMart tent I bought for $40. It rained nonstop for 5 days and the zipper pulled completely off the zip on the 2nd day. One little zipper caused 3 days of mischief, since there wasn't any way to close the door without rain drenching the tent floor or taping up the zipper everytime we wanted to enter/exit. Imagine sleeping in a wet bag, with wet clothes, in 55*F weather, for 3 solid nights. It's enough headache to make whoever you're with to hate each other. All because a zipper came off.

Btw, ducktape doesn't adhere well to polyester when moisture is present, so even if you tape it up before sleeping, you'll be waking up to a cold soaked floor regardless.
>>
>>984058
(cont.)

So if you want to buy a WM tent, and you know camping is either going to be a couple times a year thing or you're going into it knowing full and well it'll be a learning experience, then by all means buy a $50 tent. Just like other anon said, just make damn sure WM isn't far away in case you need to exchange it because something small and stupid broke off.

And if you think for any reason you'll be camping in moderately strong weather don't even think about holing up in a $50 walmart special, because that shit will disintegrate like tissue paper.
>>
>>983832
Fuck ya, Im from PHX, used to go to church camp in Mingus every year. My favorite was watching the hang gliders launch from the summit. The arid high forrest of arizona feels so comfy too me. Im going with my buddies to a cabin for memorial day. Probably do some hiking around jerome/mingus one day then Fossil creek another.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.