[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adventuremobile

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 113

File: descarga (4).jpg (79KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
descarga (4).jpg
79KB, 736x414px
I know we have a car camping thread going but this one is more focused around the vehicles themselves.

I live in Spain and want to pick up a dirt cheap off road getaway /out/ car. Is the niva perfect for 1 -2 man outings? Should I consider the little suzuki? Or get a bigger used car?

(Or should I blast all my savings on a defender and live off water and rice?)

Consider this a continuation of the last thread.
>>
hopefully this turns into another ranger master race thread
>>
>>979854
you spelled "power wagon" wrong
>>
>>979855
power wagons were cool 30 years ago now theyre rusted out pieces of shit boomers want 15k for
>>
>>979855
You spelled 4runner wrong.
>>
>>979530
I vote for a small Suzuki. Niva is trve cvlt, I have to admit but I guess its not easy finding spare parts and fixing it in Spain, also I hear they are quite the gas guzzlers so thats also to consider.
Defender is very cool, so is Mercedes G Puch but I think its stupid to blow money on something you are going to use for recreational purposes, unless you're a richfag and I see you aren't.

All this I say thinking that you don't wanna go hardcore into offroading circlejerk, just indulge casually.
>>
>>979860
4runner is a horse carriage with oversized wheels
>>
File: lada niva.jpg (98KB, 896x600px) Image search: [Google]
lada niva.jpg
98KB, 896x600px
>>979530
like the design, good fun look, but not a good car for longer trips, still hasn't shake the eastern block legacy. they are cars meant to be abused as they don't have a long service life from what i heard. but they are also very cheap.

>>979862
parts indeed depend heavily on your region, friend had one used around 12L/100 because they eat so much they are very often changed to Autogas fuel since it's cheaper and has no downsides (hard to find gas stations, lower range) for farmers, foresters, hunters, which are by far the most common customers in my country.
also its shit for longer trips as it has a low top speed and floats a lot on the highway.
>>
paco motor sports is making great progress turning miatas into prerunners
>>
>>979874
Yeah, Lada is kinda "undiscovered gem" mene in off road circle a I guess.
I believe it has potensial but again it depends what OP wants from a car.
There was that guy from Northern Norway in other thread who was talking about importing Lada but he lived near the Russian border and gas is quite cheap in Norway so its a completely different story.
>>
File: lada forest.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lada forest.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>979889
yeah i would also say that you get more use from it in a "rougher" country. norway has far more snow and desolate roads then spain. and heaving a 4x4 that you can use every winter sure makes the investment more reasonable.

i get the "undiscovered gem" meme for me ladas have this fun feel, like a bit DIY exploring and not full professional like with a big defender or something. would be a great car to do trips with GF with a cozy feel.
>>
>>979905
It has that "who knows what can happen" feel to it because we percieve it as not 100% reliable. Almost a romaticised feel to it.
>>
Had Niva and didn't really like it.

It has nice suspension, drives really nice over rough roads but there's some kind of design failure in drive train that causes vibrations you'll never get rid of without mods. It's fucking horrible, big shakes at low speeds and droning at higher. Engine is also not the nicest thing, very rough at higher rpms, steering feels spongy.

Samurai is much more fun but suspension is horrible (short leaf springs). Vitara is kinda ok but lacks ground clearance and front suspension is fragile, less susp. travel than Niva.
>>
>>979530
The Niva is a tractor 4 seats. Its low geared, slow and unrefined.
Low gearing is the reason it uses so much fuel.
Expect a relaxed cruising speed of 45km/hr.
They're a lot like the Series LandRovers.

Suzuki is much easier to drive and more city and highway friendly.

The Lada is more off-road capable, but unless you go out of your way to crawl on big rocks or deep mud you will never find the limits of either.

The truth is, with good tires and a locking or limited slip differential, even a 2WD can beat most stock 4x4s.

The Suzuki is much easier and more civilized to live with than the Niva, and a better car to drive in every way.
So the choice is obvious. Get the Niva.
>>
>>979935
OP here and this last sentence is the feel tht im getting. Niva seems far comfier than the little suzukis. Gas is gonna be okay I am not broke and getting a car only for /out/ purposes.

>>979862
if I convince myself tht the defender i the better investment for these purposes I will be able to get it. Have been drooling over the defender and the mercedes g for a while. Drifting away from it now because I don't think I will be able to use them to their full potential. I can´t just set off for a crazy long trip to the himalayas (why live...).
going to use the niva for inawoods here in spain

Lots of unpaved surfaces and tricky trails (good out country and portugal is close for more /out/ purposes)

Planning to get one of the older ones which have little kms on them. (50k) I like the "leather" interior and that thin soviet steering wheel.

I doubt I will go further than portugal/france/morocco on this car. Will maybe lift it a little. Give it nice all terrain tyres for sure.

If i save on the adventure mobile I will have tons of money to put into gear. What are some lada setup essentials for weekend adventures?
>>
>>979948
Don't be a pussy, buy UAZ Hunter and spend a year repairing it.
>>
>>979948
I get you now OP, you need a rock in your shoe. Something thats going to torment you because what Is life without some troubles. Get the Niva and never look back friend.
>>
How much are Defenders these days?

My dad got given one (that admittedly needed some work doing) as payment for a job and I'm starting to think he lucked out big time.
>>
Im running with my UAZ 469
>>
>>980204
>>
>>980204
Isn't UAZ worse for offroading because it's significantly heavier than Niva and thus can get stuck easier?
Does it break down often?
>>
>>980191
>how much does a car that was built sometime in 1983 to 2014 go for?
>>
>>980284
Sorry yeah, it's early 90s
>>
>>980304
Short wheel base version as well
>>
>>980304
prices really vary depending on the state of the defender also a lot of them have been restored or upgraded
>>
>>980204
Nice, one of the 3 in Norway? or still in Russia?
>>
File: received_1867421459950210.jpg (332KB, 2048x1232px) Image search: [Google]
received_1867421459950210.jpg
332KB, 2048x1232px
I got one side of the sleeping/storage platform for my ranger carpeted today. Still need to carpet the other side, cut out some doors, make/carpet the slide in pieces, then carpet the top of the camper shell. Hopefully its done this coming weekend so I'll have it setup for Zion in a couple weeks.
>>
File: washedranger.jpg (17KB, 351x206px) Image search: [Google]
washedranger.jpg
17KB, 351x206px
>>980614
finally! we can commence ranger thread comrade
>>
>>980044
Thanks anon
>>
>>980304
Not knowing the country but assuming Western EU, I'd say €4,000 for a farm/work vehicle, €7,000 for a nice one, and €10,000 or more for a really nice one with shiny paint.
>>
File: IMG_3114.png (970KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3114.png
970KB, 750x1334px
>not going with a comfy early 2000's full size truck
You probably wouldn't want it for what you're saying, but after driving it awhile I've really fell in love with it. It's not too much truck, but it's just enough truck for me.
>>
>>980690
thats cool

we don't do trucks too much here in europe

countries in red aren't even allowed out
>>
>>980696
What do you mean aren't allowed /out/? No wild camping? Thats rarely enforced.

The 4x4 scene in Italy is the strongest in Europe and 80% of men in rural communities are at least occasional hunters.

Also, we have plenty of trucks.
Land Rovers and Transits and aren't that much narrower than American pickups.
Ford actually used axles from the Bronco in the early Transits.
>>
>>980748
>The 4x4 scene in Italy is the strongest in Europe and 80% of men in rural communities are at least occasional hunters.
How do they hunt without guns?
>>
>>980759
Not him, but do you really believe that hunters aren't allowed to have guns in European countries?
>>
>>980770
If they are, why is everyone complaining about no guns?
>>
>>980779
the laws for having a hunting gun are very restrictive

Spain has some of the strictest in the world, no free camping, no carrying knives which aren't small ones for food, no fires under any circumstances, huge fines etc.

But you can obviously avoid being caught.
>>
>>979530
Was looking at Niva's for fun and /out/, but that shit has never been crash-tested, only design inmprovement it had since 60's was readjusted tail lights. Fuck dat shit. Get a decent and popular VW Caddy - simple, easy to maintain, actually safe, can hold all /out/ gear and look decent for city.
>>
>>980696
>countries in red aren't even allowed out
???
>>
>>980779
>If they are, why is everyone complaining about no guns?
Because people are fucking retards. The concept of gun ownership is different than in the US (desu that goes to pretty much every other country in the world).
Anyway Europe ain't a single entity so people who refer to it like it was are obviously full spectrum morons.

Now let me stop digressing and go to the point. You can own guns in every single EU country as long as you meet certain criteria, it goes from safety courses, to proper storage, to having insurance and so on and so forth.

That said every country has its own rules despite EU cunts frequently trying to impose their own shit upon countries. If you hunt you can own guns for that purpose, if you shoot sportively you can own guns for that, if you are a colector you can buy pretty much whatever you want etc etc.

Yeah it's to fucking restrictive in some countries and I fucking disagree with it, but it kinda prevents to some point kids from blowing themselves up because they thought that some handgun laying around in the table was a toy.
>>
>>980901
>if you are a colector you can buy pretty much whatever you want etc etc.
How exactly do you prove you're "a collector" then?
>>
File: Kozelik5.jpg (263KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Kozelik5.jpg
263KB, 2048x1152px
>>980243
Well it haven't broken down yet and considering it was made in 1981 i think its pretty fair.
And the UAZ has better auto-lock differentials which is way better than the niva's manuel lock differentials.
Also the UAZ is higher and the drive shaft is made so the car wont hang on the differentials if it should be deep snow or mud.
The Niva weights about 1200kg and the UAZ is 1500kg so the niva is lighter but still not better at off-roading.
Also the UAZ has better fuel capacity at 40L per fuel tank (it has two fuel tanks).
Also there is better room for luggage and people.
This UAZ has also stronger engine with more HP and torque than a Niva.
I've driven Niva lots of times and its good for what it is and designed for, but the UAZ is better at its job.
>>
>>980313
Still in Russia.

Waiting for the local hero and workshop cheif to fix the documents with the police and get my transit license plates.
>>
>>980313
Wait what? Norway only has 3 UAZ cars?
>>
>>980904
I can't answer that since I'm not one but for sure there's some type of licensing behind that.

Ain't the same shit like collecting football jerseys.
>>
>>980904
You can own whatever you want if it's not operational any more. I doubt that you can own an operational AK anywhere in the EU.
>>
>>980942
>I doubt that you can own an operational AK anywhere in the EU
That's where you're wrong, cunt.
>>
>>980942
>if it's not operational any more.
Then what the fuck good is it?
>>
>>980928
No, two.
Mine will be the 3rd
>>
>>980962
I don't get it, it's not such a tiny country. Why would you even import a car in that case, since you'll have to order everything from abroad?
>>
>>980961
he's talking out of his ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0-J2pYLCvI
>>
>>980963
Well, the case is i don't have to order anything.
I live 30 minute drive to the two closest Russian cities across the border here.
So it takes me literally half hour to drive and get what i need, both parts and fuel for 0.7$ per liter.
Also since its a veteran car and i have a special ''deal'' with the russian police they will value the car half what i paid for so the import cost will only be 93$
>>
>>980975
>I live 30 minute drive to the two closest Russian cities across the border here.
So you have another car that you can drive when you go for parts for this one?
>>
>>980946
Not him but where then?
>>
>>980979
Yeah, the UAZ will just be my /out/ car.
my daily driver is a Mitsubishi L200
>>
>>980996
Slovenia for example.
>>
What's a good /out/ vehicle for here in the States? Plenty of offroading to be done here in the Upper Peninsula and I don't mind something a little beat up. I need a summer project anyway.
>>
>>981024
Check out /o/s sticky. I use a 4x4 ranger, gets me where I need to go, decent size for 2 adults but can fit 2 more in the back with the extended cab,though a bit cramped.

Jeeps are good and have a smaller wheel base, but parts are more expensive and they get even worse gas mileage.

Rav4 is a good option, its an in between but is reliable and gets good mileage.
>>
>>981024
>>981036
Actually fuck everything here, get a ranger.
>>
>>980996
czechia pretty sure and germany too i think to if but you have get the red WBK
>>
>>980942
Thats where you're wrong.

Three years ago I ordered a Saiga M3 straight from the IZHMASH factory in Russia. They sent it trough regular mail.

Saiga M3 is the semi-auto version of the AK-103.

I live in the Mediterranean part of Europe.
>>
Since we're talking about cheap 4x4s, any yuropoor has any idea why the fuck 7 out of 10 under 3000€ 4x4s I find are the Opel Frontera?

Does the damn thing have some serious problems or anything? (other than being about as big as a boat)
>>
File: bikes.jpg (458KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bikes.jpg
458KB, 1024x768px
Pfft. I'd bet that my soccer mum SUV has seen more trails, beaches, forests and deserts that the majority of built up Jeeps and other 4x4's ever see.
On top of that, it's only the tool for the real activities. REAL Off roading, shooting, hunting, fishing, hiking. Must just be my area, but man it makes me mad knowing people with Jeeps and Toyota's all built up for the trail but they never go, or when they do, they're afraid of the gnarly trails and just do weak shit a 2WD S10 could get over.

That said, dirt bikes are ultimate Adventure Mobile. This thread sucks.
>Muh solid axles
>Muh rare vintage 4x4 I'm afraid to actually use
>>
>>981024
Price range? And what terrain? Where is this upper Peninsula? Here, 2WD prerunner trucks would be the right tool for out. Flat wide open desert, zero need for 4x4. 2WD allows more front travel, no transfer case to fail when you need it the most.

Pacific Northwest you need a shortwheel 4x4. Jeep, Samurai, Geo Tracker

Southern states, big lifted 3/4 ton pickup for traction in the deep muddy swamps.
>>
>>981009
>my daily driver is a Mitsubishi L200
Same.

>>981177

No problems, except maybe rust.

They are solid trucks, and the Diesel engine is especially reliable.
They are built on the same frame as the Isuzu KB/Opel Campo pickup so you get real 4x4 with ladder frame, transfer case, solid rear axle, and low range instead of fagget AWD.

€3000 is not especially cheap either, considering they have little to no luxuries and that the frame was designed in the late 80's.
>>
>>981208
>€3000 is not especially cheap either

Used cars around here tend to be expensive Especially 4x4s.
But the ones over 2500€ are the really nice, "slightly used" looking ones.
Can find them for less than 2000€, albeit with a fucked up paintjob. Probably cheaper if I look for stuff out of used car places.

I presumed the problem wouldn't be the engine, cuz it's a fucking Isuzu engine. (LOL, auto-correct tried to correct Isuzu to Suzuki)
So I thought maybe it would have problems with the gearbox or something transmission related.

I just found it really weird that I wasn't finding many Mitsubishi/Suzuki/Nissan but a shit load of Opel Fronteras. I exaggerated with the 7 out of 10, but it was some 40% Opel, 20% Suzuki and the rest a bit of "this and that".
Found it kinda weird, thought maybe the things had some chronic problem, guess it's just "my car is old, I want a new one".

So yeah, wall of text, thanks for the answer.
>>
>>981223
>Mitsubishi/Suzuki/Nissan

Meant to put Toyota where I put Suzuki.
I found a decent amount of Suzukis.
>>
>>981223
I think the lower price is due to a combination of factors:

Its a obvious rebadged vehicle from an underrated manufacturer
Its doesn't drive as nice on paved roads as a Freelander or Honda CRV because of the truck chassis.
Its also smaller inside the cabin because of the chassis.
Its a dead end, with no successor.
And most importantly, the Isuzu/Opel brand doesn't have the Toyota or Honda meme tax.
>>
>>981024
Find a ZR2! They come in pickup and SUV flavors. There's tons of them in MI since one of the plants was there. Ready to offroad without mods. uses mostly blazer/s10/jimmy/sonoma/bravada parts which are quite literally everywhere. Cheap.
>>
>>981187
>Thinks he's better than others for driving his mom's shitty hyundai
>>
File: xterraeureka.jpg (1MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
xterraeureka.jpg
1MB, 1500x1125px
I put a lot of miles on my Xterra and sleep in it too. Comfyness level is off the charts with a memory foam mattress in it.
>>
>>979530
Stay on trails faggots.
>>
File: 20170214_201941.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170214_201941.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
My out wip.
>>
File: IMG_6890.jpg (112KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6890.jpg
112KB, 600x450px
>>981187
Wow anon, I'm really happy for you that your car can handle a dirt road and pull a trailer at the same time.
Driving on a surface like that takes both skill and balls. I'm not sure most of us are up to it.
>>
>>980690
>full cab
>short bed
You didn't get a truck, you got an SUV with the trunk exposed. Seriously, I work in construction, and your truck would be absolutely useless to me as a work vehicle. Unless you use it as a daily driver, in which case you're a moron, buy something fuel efficient and nice to drive (trucks are absolutely awful to drive at highway speeds and a nightmare to navigate through tight spaces).
>>
>>979530
Just get a wrangler or 4 runner. Oh wait. You live in the third world known as southern europe.

Sorry anon. Sucks to be you.
>>
>>981486
>>981487
>muh 8x4 ply

You sound really dumb. I don't think people should listen to you.
>>
>>981487
I am actually Russian, moved have a beach house here in Spain. I doubt it sucks to be me too much anon.
>>
File: received_1736586083319159.jpg (201KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
received_1736586083319159.jpg
201KB, 2048x1152px
Ranger guy here, making progress on my bed platform
>>
>>982289
What if it rains?
>>
File: received_1736586103319157.jpg (194KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
received_1736586103319157.jpg
194KB, 2048x1152px
>>982291
Its in a camper shell
>>
File: 13652824890261532636092[1].jpg (83KB, 330x247px) Image search: [Google]
13652824890261532636092[1].jpg
83KB, 330x247px
>>982293
Oh I see, I just looked it up, it'll be something like this when it's finished?

I'm not entirely sure about the point of carpeting, you're going to sleep on a sheet anyway, so why not rubberize it with a coating of that rubber shit, you know what I mean, or make it otherwise completely waterproof and stainproof?
>>
>>980629
Still trying to decide if I want to dump any more money into fixing my Ranger. Torn between fixing it and ripping the driveline out for something stouter to keep it as a DD or just getting a K5 or gen1 Tahoe/Yukon

Im more familiar with working on Chevys but the little Ranger has some odd charm to her with her dents,carpet stains, leaks and constant issues. Great way to learn to drive stick after all
>>
>>982295
Similar to that, the front by the tailgate is done, it'll stay an open cubby like that to fit fishing poles and shit in. I still need to cut a door out in the front by the cab and make the platform that goes in the middle.

It won't be as done up as the one you posted since I'd like it to be easy to remove and don't wanna carpet the bottom of the bed since I'll still be tossing shit in it when the platform isn't in use.

>>982296
What year/model ranger? Mines a 99 that's been incredibly easy to work on, though I have had a few minor issues with it at 160k miles
>>
>Ctrl+f tercel
>nothing
You got 1000 dollars and want to make it from Maryland to California? Buy a tercel, that's with gas included.

Wanna go off road and do it cheaply? Got you covered.

Trying to pack your life into a wagon? Wanna sleep in the back? No big deal.

I miss mine
>>
>>981187
Mall crawler mom jeeps have become an epidemic in my area. Bunch of spotless cosplay suvs with horrible accent paint, cheap brush guards and light bars. The worst they're ever gonna see is the occasional hurricane and the usual street flooding. Worst part is a fan club has cropped up like jeeps aren't the hottest selling shit in NY city. I know 2 people that actually USE their Wranglers and one guy in an old Cherokee that buts them all to shame.

Plenty of opportunity to put me through the paces out here but most of email ate just fashion statements. Wanted one for a long time but now...just waiting to buy a cyclone or typhoon
>>
>>981514
>sound really dumb
I mean, it's a bad work truck and a bad daily driver, that's a recipe that even an autist can understand. Explain to me how I'm wrong.

protip: you can't
>>
>>982298
Hm. I browse Craigslist for cars all the time, seen plenty of Tercels but never the wagon. Are the wagons typically more expensive, or just less common?
>>
>>982377
Less common, many have been cubed
>>
>>982373

How is it a bad work truck? Because the bed isn't 2441mm long ?

Not everyone works construction or hauls plywood for work.
>>
>>982298
Comfy af.
>>
>>982295
>I'm not entirely sure about the point of carpeting
I'm not a fan of carpets, but that kind of "Marine" carpet is waterproof, and can even be cleaned with a pressure washer.
>>
File: IMG_20170219_161300.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170219_161300.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>982289
>>982293
>>982295
honest question: what's wrong with an air mattress?

i used to have one here until i accidentally dropped a knife on it.
>>
>tfw from a shitty Eastern European country so I can't afford a nice /out/ truck/4x4/whatever
:(
>>
>>983119
>what is arctic trucks
>>
>>983122
Something that literally doesn't exist here? I'm ex-Yu, that's probably a Russian thing.
>>
File: IMG_20170219_143734.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170219_143734.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>983136
it's scandanavian. mainly finland and norway and bleeds into denmark, sweden, and sometimes the baltic countries / poland.

depending on your restrictions of "public land" and your "right to roam" laws, you may be able to get an old hilux from the north for pretty cheap. the only downside is filling it up with russian gas and how it'll get like 20 mpg MAX. compared to sedans which get like 40mpg
>>
>>983094
Mostly what you said. You have to worry about it getting a leak and losing air over night, it takes time to setup, though minimal. If its a bed air mattress it also means you lose your whole bed with it on

Also I made some progress on my bed today, pic related. Still need to cut an access hole and hinge it, then carpeting the top interior of the camper shell.

Then off to Zion in a week!
>>
File: received_1737466093231158.jpg (275KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
received_1737466093231158.jpg
275KB, 2048x1152px
>>983140
Forgot pic, hurr
>>
File: 1986-Mitsubishi-Delica-4x4-Side.jpg (48KB, 526x398px) Image search: [Google]
1986-Mitsubishi-Delica-4x4-Side.jpg
48KB, 526x398px
>>979530
Mitsubishi Delica, Toyota Hi-Ace, or an Isuzu NPR 150 with a camper mod.

honorable mention to the Suzuki Carry (aka the Bedford Rascal)
>>
File: IMG_20170401_192043.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170401_192043.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
We should start a sorta outmobile general thread for camping / overlanding adventures. Might have enough interest in them. /omg/ anyone?

>>983141
Nice! Unfortunately need my bed occasionally for work so that option is out of the question for me. I've set up a camper cot and placed it in my bed before, though. That's what I'm doing now in absence of the air matres.

That bed layout looks amazing, though. Carpeting probably a great idea to mix utility with comfiness. Do you prepare insulation for the winter?
>>
>>983143
comfy
and
aesthetic
>>
>>983154
>>
>>982377
cash for clunkers probably disappeared a lot of them
>>
>>983174
>cash for clunkers
triggered so damn hard.

fuck obama for destroying the used car market in the US.
>>
>>983177
they got rid of a lot of those stupid SOHC ford exploders, though
>>
>>983168
>>
>>979530
Rubicon lad, theres no other.
Volvo XC90, F-150 for family trips.
>>
>>983143
I've been looking for a Delica for a while but I would really want a left hand drive and converting it would probably cost more than buying and importing it
>>
>>983608
Never got the fascination with these toaster vans. They're narrow, and have no headroom.
Might as well get a Trooper or Montero.

>>983206
Used to have the Toyota version of this.
Same low height freezer, and rear wheels smaller than the front ones.
Its a great van if you enjoy the feeling that you might tip over at any moment.
>>
>>982297
'98 4cyl 5spd stepside
Hasn't been hard to work on, just been a lot of work. New starter, alternator, clutch and struts. Trans is still being a cut though so I'm really debating what to do. I have access to a 5.0 and T5

I'll be getting a motorcycle this summer so I'm gonna need a truck anyway
>>
File: IMG_4636.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4636.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
>>983147
taynger pls
why are you even here
shouldnt you be posting your cruiser too
absolutely shameful
>>
File: bae doggo all in one.jpg (174KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
bae doggo all in one.jpg
174KB, 600x450px
>>984047
this is a nice board
>>
File: 20160729_190055.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160729_190055.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>982298
Love the Tercel, but never find a non rusted wagon.

I had it's bigger cousin, Subaru Loyale.
>>
File: IMG_6940.jpg (53KB, 467x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6940.jpg
53KB, 467x350px
>>985101
For you.
>>
File: IMG_20170319_185740594_HDR.jpg (727KB, 2004x2672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170319_185740594_HDR.jpg
727KB, 2004x2672px
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that I use to get off the map with. (That's a Cherokee to everyone outside the US). It isn't a rock crawler but but it gets me anywhere I want to go. Plenty of space for 2 people and gear. I usually carry my boat on the rack for a little fishing here and there.
>>
File: IMG_20170317_174331556_HDR.jpg (734KB, 2672x2004px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170317_174331556_HDR.jpg
734KB, 2672x2004px
>>985727
>>
>>980779
They're not; is just the constant deluge of Americans trolling.

>Anything less than anyone owning, carrying and using any weapon they want is dirty kommie-nisuhm
>weapons are a right
>Shittiest constitution in existence
>>
>>985911
You sound dumb. I don't think people should listen to you.
>>
>>985727
>>985728
very nice desu
>>
File: IMAG0651.jpg (3MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0651.jpg
3MB, 1520x2688px
>>985927
Thanks bro. I'm heading to the Ouchitau National Forest next week to camp and fish a few nights. Off topic but here's a shot from last year's camping on the little Missouri
>>
Daily driver and camping friendly

Good gas for long distance camping trips
Light/Medium Trail/Offroad use
Good storage space
Manual Tran

Too many options, anyone have something off the top of their head to recommend?
>>
>>987664
Subaru Outback.
>>
File: v-strom-DL650.jpg (86KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
v-strom-DL650.jpg
86KB, 1024x683px
>using more than 2 wheels
Grab a KTM or picrelated tfor some real adventuring potential.
>>
>>987669
I'd say go with the Forester instead. more room, slightly more lift, and the same engine.
>>
>>987683
They both have 8.7 inches of ground clearance and 108 cubic feet of interior space.

I recommended the Outback for a better /out/ vehicle because it's a much better layout for car camping. i.e., the longer space behind the front seats allows you to lie down fully and more comfortably. I suppose that's just preference though.
>>
>>987681
I'm waiting for the 2018 vstrom! The 1k gonna get that fucker. Want one so badly!!
>>
>>987681
Always wanted a BMW GS but I'm too big to ride a bike.
>>
>>987845
wait what i stop big for a bike?

Im 195cm (like 6'4)

Is that too big?

Or you mean big as in wide? Im quite thin:

I am scared that Ill look like a clown on a tricycle on the wrong bike.
>>
I might be getting a little payola. Was thinking about an atv but I would have to push mow the lawn all summer. Our I can get this nifty ridding mower. But I probably need the exercise.
>>
File: bikei.jpg (168KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bikei.jpg
168KB, 1024x768px
>>987845
Riderfag here, I am 6'3, ride a Triumph Trophy 900, fit the BMW GS, want the V-strom. Git riding.
>>
>>987897
Get the ATV and pull a regular mower behind you.

Or get a ride on mower and put some off-road tires on it.
>>
>>987904
not a lot of protection. I'm gonna pass.
>>
>>987681
Lawyer in my town has a Grom and a Duke. If I ever need a lawyer I'm going with him in principle alone
>>
File: 1438389426377.png (18KB, 315x274px) Image search: [Google]
1438389426377.png
18KB, 315x274px
Looking at getting a 4WD for $10,000, still can't decide between a Landcruiser or a Prado. Been looking for about half an hour online and the general consensus is that the Toyotas within that price range all have over 300,000kms and are mostly late 90's and mostly stock standard, friend got an 01 Prado for 6k that has done the same mileage but came with all the mod cons of a decent offroad car, diff lockers, bull bar, spotlights, offroad tyres, roof rack, shelving system in the back with a slide out tray for a fridge, dual battery etc etc. Jelly as fuck because the market value for them is normally 10k.
>>
File: maxresdefault[6].jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[6].jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>988741
>Prado

Whoops I meant Mitsubishi Pajero.
>>
File: IMGP1127.jpg (891KB, 2048x1355px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP1127.jpg
891KB, 2048x1355px
I'm on a budget. I bought this over eyeglasses and a smartphone and a printer. But I need a bike to be complete and I love it. Someday I'll have a van or SUV that I can transport my bike around in and sleep in, but until then it's just the bike and the hammy.
>>
File: yota.jpg (40KB, 605x339px) Image search: [Google]
yota.jpg
40KB, 605x339px
Should I?
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gilles-plains/cars-vans-utes/2002-toyota-landcruiser-prado-automatic-diesel/1113970667

>auto
>diesel

Perfect.
>>
File: 20160123_132248.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_132248.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Here's My ranger
>>
File: panda sisley 4x4.jpg (919KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
panda sisley 4x4.jpg
919KB, 2560x1920px
>>979530
Pick up an original Panda 4x4 for cheap offroad chuckles. They're remarkably capable little machines.
>>
Looking at an 02 Durango, how would it be as an adventure mobile? Anyone have experience?
>>
>>987845
4U
>>
>>988746
looks good
>>
>>988741
I've always liked the Pajero better than the LandCruiser Prado.
90% of the time Pajeros are better equipped too.
>>
File: IMG_20170320_170817.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170320_170817.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>989436
U.S. equivalent. Love mine.
>>
File: IMG_20170406_233356.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170406_233356.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
Rate /out/mobile ness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjJHW8Edzk

>>985672
For everyone.
>>
>>989436
The prado was Tay Yoda's answer to the slight economic downturn and demand for smaller SUVs. It was underengineered (relative to their older LCs) as a result.

Think of it like the Land Rover Freelander.

>>988810
Gorgeous. Nice snowrolling, too.

Why make it out of wood, though? Wouldn't that be too heavy? Post area code.

>>988741
Coming from someone who just bought a Land Cruiser... why do you want a Land Cruiser / Prado?
Also where are you from?
>>
>>989436
Seeing that they are generally cheaper I'll see what I can find, spent a few hours last night looking at Landcruisers and picked a handful of possible buys, gonna look at Pajeros tonight.

>>989550
Experience from driving some and knowing a bunch of people who own them leads me to believe that they are reliable as fuck and are built to be abused offroad. It takes a long time for something to fail but the downside is when it inevitably does your wallet is going to get raped. Live in regional straya and go camping /fishing in isolated spots all the time.
>>
>>989550
unfortunately when i bought it, it had a bedliner in and because i was buying it from a friend of a friend, i didn't think to check the bed for rust. turns out 3 out of the 4 bed mounts were rusted on the bolt/mount so i had to rip off the bed. i looked into buying a new/used one to replace it but was $500-600 whereas i bought the wood and built that for $200-300
>>
>>980204
Is that in Nikel?
>>
>>989550
The Prado was Toyota's answer to the Pajero.
Thats why its smaller, not because its a poverty spec LandCruiser.
>>
>>989910
Well that's what it was known for in North America. We never got the 3 door FJ70 here either :^(
I'd love to import one of those one day, though.

I wouldn't call it a poverty spec FJ since the word "poverty" implies a lot. But I mean, that's what it eventually became - relative to the FJ80, 60s, and 40s.

>>989579
Oh they're still reliable as fuck and great offroad. Their centre of gravity and suspension allows them to be easily fitted to 40 inch tyres (where the FJ80s couldn't be).

I hear of minor engine reliability issues with the VZ series but just the regular head gasket stuff. Things that can be fixed with a semi (smallish) rebuild / rebuff.
>>
>>980629
Fordfags...
>>
How would an old Volkswagen Passat wagon function? They look /out/
>>
>>979530
get an old nissan patrol, the 3 door versoins are cool, just make sure its not to much rust on the frame and in the canals
>>
>>982298
2006 subaru Forester here. Very happy with switch from full size pickup to awd station wagon.

If you aren't on a ranch plates, trucks aren't good daily drivers in the long run.

I rent a one tonne when needed for especially big chores, and if you plan things out it's still cheaper than owning when annual fuel and insurance is summed.
>>
Anyone have experience with Volkswagen Passat wagons?
>>
File: IMG_20170412_230950.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170412_230950.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
New to this thread

Is the Nissan Pathfinder a decent off-road vehicle? or is it totally worthless as one. If so, what would be a better option
Would have taken better pic, but here it is
>>
>>991504
Its a 4x4 with low range so how could it not be a good offroader.

There are people here who go offroading in stock AWD station wagons and 2WD pickups.
>>
File: NotActuallyMine.jpg (77KB, 643x394px) Image search: [Google]
NotActuallyMine.jpg
77KB, 643x394px
Recently traded in my Ranger and got a new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. To me, this Jeep is perfect. It's surprisingly comfortable on the highway, and very off-road capable when we get to where we're going on our fishing trips and things like that. And I really can't believe the equipment you get for the price.
>>
>>985915
he's dumb, but he's also right
>>
>>988962
Panda 4x4 a cute! CUTE!
>>
File: IMG_6963.jpg (63KB, 392x276px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6963.jpg
63KB, 392x276px
>>992301
You're right about him being dumb but wrong about him being right.
>>
>>991711
What's the gas mileage like?
>>
File: floofs.jpg (787KB, 1038x1384px) Image search: [Google]
floofs.jpg
787KB, 1038x1384px
>>990236
If you can find a 4motion one it'll be pretty much the same as my elderly 320,000+ miles Audi A4 wagon.
It was in shitty looking condition when I bought it cheap from a farm 5 years ago and it hasn't improved with age and the odd bit of chewing from my mutts, but the wonderfully polluting diesel lump and drivetrain is proving indestructible.
If you can find a 4motion model, grab it.

Purchase satisfaction level = 10/10
>>
Jilipolla get an used FIAT Panda 4x4 Dudley for 300 euro, repair by using spanish SEAT Marbella parts

Bonus points of yoù can get a TELECOM Panda, it's comfy and you can turn it into a minivan
>>
>>985911

Self defense is a natural human right, thus the right to keep and bear arms is also a natural human right.

There should be no restrictions on weapon ownership by the citizenry, short of WMDs.
>>
File: Skoda_Yeti_2014.jpg (175KB, 1117x657px) Image search: [Google]
Skoda_Yeti_2014.jpg
175KB, 1117x657px
>>980942
>I doubt that you can own an operational AK anywhere in the EU.

The Czech Rep. at least is pretty pro-gun (though still very restrictive compared to the U.S.) and they’ve even got concealed carry that regular people can actually get (unlike France and such, where only a few political cronies and celebs can get them).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_Czech_Republic
>>
File: Colorado_chevrolet-2014-live-19.jpg (76KB, 998x572px) Image search: [Google]
Colorado_chevrolet-2014-live-19.jpg
76KB, 998x572px
>>981024
>What's a good /out/ vehicle for here in the States?

Any American made pick-up truck.
>>
File: hmmwv_Mars_Institute_Humvee.jpg (500KB, 1906x982px) Image search: [Google]
hmmwv_Mars_Institute_Humvee.jpg
500KB, 1906x982px
>>983138
>>
File: Astro Camper Conversion22.jpg (33KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Astro Camper Conversion22.jpg
33KB, 600x450px
>>983168
>>
Are non turbo'd Diesel Landcruisers really THAT slow? Friend is trying to convince me not to get one.
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 750x554px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 750x554px
Toyota pickup
Just bought it a month ago, haven't taken it offroad yet
>>
>>994445
>Are non turbo'd Diesel Landcruisers really THAT slow?
Continental drift moves quicker.
>>
File: land cruiser captcha.png (383KB, 403x555px) Image search: [Google]
land cruiser captcha.png
383KB, 403x555px
>>994445
Why do you want it to be that quick?

Also, the /org/ (offroad general) therad on /o/ will know more about diesel land cruisers.

kek@ captcha
>>
File: paj.jpg (82KB, 790x472px) Image search: [Google]
paj.jpg
82KB, 790x472px
>>994625
No idea friend just said when he worked in a car yard that driving the non tarbo diesels they were painfully slow, I've found a Pajero in my town that looks mint though for 2K less and a newer model so might get this instead if I can.
>>
>>994445
Any non turbo diesel is slow.
Some are slow to accelerate, some are slow in top speed, and some are slow in both top speed and acceleration.

Any non turbo 4x4 with 4 forward gears will have a safe cruising speed of no more than 70km/hr.
Should be something to take into consideration especially if you drive long distances on open roads.

>>994778
The 3.2 DI-D in that gen Pajero is pretty quick compared to other Diesel 4x4 and will feel like a sportscar compared to any non turbo Diesel.
>>
>>994789
So much to consider regarding every make, model and gen respective, fuck it I'm going Petrol, which that pictured Pajero is.
>>
File: vw-caddy-03.jpg (336KB, 1656x1131px) Image search: [Google]
vw-caddy-03.jpg
336KB, 1656x1131px
> not having this as adventure van
>>
File: 2004 accord.jpg (90KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
2004 accord.jpg
90KB, 900x600px
>muh 4 wheel drive
>muh all wheel drive
>meeh ground clearance
>FORD
A sedan can go everywhere.
>>
File: export.jpg (1MB, 4432x2955px) Image search: [Google]
export.jpg
1MB, 4432x2955px
>>994817
hi friend

okay so its not gonna get me off road, but thats what my legs are for.

>convert into microcamper
>roof bars for a canoe

perfect.
>>
>>994817
>>994850
How big is the cargo area in that thing?
Big enough to stretch your legs?
>>
File: p7241693-1-887116724005027268.jpg (263KB, 671x422px) Image search: [Google]
p7241693-1-887116724005027268.jpg
263KB, 671x422px
>>994850
Are you European?

I feel giddy everytime I see caddy. Small, utilitarian, can load a pallet of materials for projects, can fit bicycles and canoe, gets to most places.

Have you tried lifting it? Here in the north we still have some remote places
>>
File: Time Bandits.jpg (64KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
Time Bandits.jpg
64KB, 620x349px
>>994899
They're about the same size as a Golf, about 5 foot length cargo bed at best.
You might be able to sleep in one if you're a Time Bandit, otherwise it's going to be pretty useless.
>>
File: IMG_2162.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2162.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>994899

pic related is my temporary situation until I finish the insulation. I should be able to get a 180cm+/- bed into it
>>
>>994903

Why you BSing when it takes two seconds on google to show you're wrong.

1779mm cargo load is 5.83ft,

without the bulkhead you can even squeeze a bit of extra length, I've seen build threads where they have it so you put the seats forward and have an extension to make it into an aprx 2m bed
>>
File: IMAG0054_zps3c3104e5.jpg (66KB, 1024x579px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0054_zps3c3104e5.jpg
66KB, 1024x579px
Micro camper builds like pic related are inspiring me
>>
>>994934
Did he block the sliding door or am I seeing wrong?
>>
File: 49dc8d77122849e107ccb178e3833da1.jpg (199KB, 512x1836px) Image search: [Google]
49dc8d77122849e107ccb178e3833da1.jpg
199KB, 512x1836px
>>994934
not sure what van hes building in but looks like it, tho it might just be a loose bit of board leaning against the door.
>>
>>995572
Based on three guage cluster on dashboard, I'd say Mitsubishi.
The moon shaped headrests and pattern of the fabric suggests 1999-2004.
My gues is its the facelifted 4th Gen Delica aka L400
>>
>>982599
Trucks are nice because they fit a lot of stuff. Short beds don't fit a lot of stuff. You have all the overbuilt engine and suspension with none of the capacity. If everything you need to move fits in an SUV why not get an SUV?
>>
File: VW_Caddy_Life_Maxi_rear.jpg (2MB, 2373x1314px) Image search: [Google]
VW_Caddy_Life_Maxi_rear.jpg
2MB, 2373x1314px
>>994817
>>994850
>>994899
>>994902
>>994903
>>994932
How about the Caddy maxi / Citroen Jumpy long wheelbase / similar ?
>>
>>989728
Zapolyarnyy
>>
>>979530
Does anyone know about the quality of 2001 chevy tracker for /out/ ?
>>
>to poor too afford it
>>
>>995861
what do you want to know, anon?
geo trackers are amazing due to their small curb weight
>>
>>996103
can they be 2/3rds commuter 1/3rd adventure machine? how do they preform in the snow and ice. i live in Minnesota and this winter took out my old ranger.
>>
The are entirety civilized and drive like a normal economy car - maybe slightly better due to the larger wheels.

The body on frame design and low range 4x4 mean theyvcan go anywhere a 4x4 truck can.
Sometimes over more difficult terrain due to the shorter wheelbase.
They're great for snow because of their light weight.
>>
File: 20170218_181646.jpg (324KB, 1215x911px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_181646.jpg
324KB, 1215x911px
>>985727
Libertys have been growing on me lately, considering one.
Pic related is my Cherokee
>>
>>995826
I know from personal experience that the Jumpy/Expert/Scudo are good vans that can take a beating, even though they might seem like cars instead of commercial vehicles.
The SWB Transit is in the same class, and equally good.

Fiat also has the Doblo, which is the same size as the regular Caddy, but features higher roof in tge MPV version.
>>
File: IMG_2305.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2305.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>995826

Yeah they're nice if you want 2m loading length, but I like the clean look of the bodywork on the swb. Also expect to pay an extra 1-2k for the privilege of the lwb.

pic related is todays progress with my build,,
>>
>>992559
Hey man, sorry for the five day wait. I've been averaging about 23 on a day to day basis, but last weekend I went fishing with some buddies and averaged 27.3 on a roughly 450 mile round trip. It does good on gas on the highway.
>>
File: IMG_7016.jpg (129KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7016.jpg
129KB, 640x480px
>>994124
The Marbella/Panda is actually a great car, but it feels like a cheap go kart if you're used to modern, dumb, and heavy Toyotas or something like that.

People get rid of them for cheap because no A/C or power steering and other stupid complaints.

I was going to also suggest the Renault 4, because they are surprisingly capable off roaders.
I see them following Nissan Terranos and other 4x4 down bad roads without breaking a sweat.
But somehow I can't find one for under €1000. They seem to be gaining in price and popularity again.

So maybe a consider a Dyane instead.

Pic related. Interior of a R4 "Camper" currently on sale.
>>
>>981024
In da Yoop, stick with Ford, GMC/Chevy or Dodge/Jeep. Because parts and service . And Jeeps are way overpriced.
Ignore the calianon. You need 4x4. And a winch.
>>
>>982298
I loved my little 87 Fwd tercell, took it everywhere, only got stuck once, lived in it for a while, 10 years with no trouble with no maintenance. Upgraded to a 02 outback a few years ago.
>>
File: space wagon.jpg (510KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
space wagon.jpg
510KB, 1280x960px
i found an 87 Toyota van near me for less than a thousand. it needs work and I know I can get more van for a little bit more money, but the novelty meter is off the chain.

Should I, anons?
>>
>>
File: van.jpg (22KB, 463x312px) Image search: [Google]
van.jpg
22KB, 463x312px
>>
>>996800
>Jeeps are way too overpriced
depends where you live desu
>>
>>987845
>I'm too big to ride a bike.
>BMW GS (assuming you mean one of the R-series)

Are you morbidly obese or something? The seat height on those is like 35 inches. Even if you're 6'5" it wouldn't be uncomfortable or look funny.
>>
>>996364
that's interesting. what car is it? have you more infos about the build?
>>
Almost finished with my truck bed camper build.
Can't wait to get /out/
>>
File: wrangler9.jpg (84KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
wrangler9.jpg
84KB, 660x440px
The 2012 Wranglers get 285 hp and 260 lb-ft tq. They're beasts.
>>
>>979854
Part of why we love Rangers is parts availability, not sure if this applies in Spain.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (10KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
10KB, 290x174px
What to you guys think of tacomas?
>>
>>1003561
Sexy as hell but the bed is too short to put a cab on and live in.
>>
>>1002844
Out of all trucks sold in Europe, Ranger is by far the rarest , and barely has any common parts with other models of the same brand.
>>
File: IMG_20170429_164130.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170429_164130.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>
>>1004289
>Out of all trucks sold in Europe, Ranger is by far the rarest

Maybe that was true a few years ago but today the Ranger is literally the best selling pickup model in Europe. But that's because of the newer Ranger model of course that isn't sold in America.

As for parts availability with the old Ranger model, at least the Mazda BT50 is identical, so you have two pickup models with the exact same parts.
>>
>>1003561
I think the 4 runner is nicer.
>>
>>993130
cute doggos
>>
>>1005412
>the Ranger is literally the best selling pickup model in Europe
I had to check for myself to see if this was true, because I barely ever see Rangers or VW.

I see lots of Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Nissan and Toyota though.
>>
File: Landcruiser1.jpg (162KB, 1587x871px) Image search: [Google]
Landcruiser1.jpg
162KB, 1587x871px
>The penultimate adventuremobile doesn't exi-
>>
File: IMG_20170430_154632.jpg (270KB, 708x806px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170430_154632.jpg
270KB, 708x806px
>>1005415
I believe they're mechanically identical. At least the older ones are.

>>1006077
>105 pls
shouldn't you be on /o/. telling me how to into interior aesthetics?
>>
>>1006122
The Tacoma only sold in the US so it's probably designed there. It is also wider than the Hilux, which is what the 4runner is based off of.
I think the Tacoma has more in common with Lexus vehicles than the 4runner.
>>
File: sp_black_ws_5.jpg (151KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
sp_black_ws_5.jpg
151KB, 1024x684px
I always wanted to get a sidecar motorcycle after watching The Last Crusade.

Would they make a good /out/ vehicle in general? If so, which one should I get?

Urals are the easiest to get, and though they're getting better quality wise, from what I've read they're pretty maintenance heavy. I'm not really mechanically inclined, though I suppose I need to learn eventually.
>>
>>994579
Nice
>>
>>981460
Neato
>>
>>1006077
>penultimate
what did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1483654352280.jpg (33KB, 287x400px) Image search: [Google]
1483654352280.jpg
33KB, 287x400px
>>1006252
>tfw you will never roam the lands in one of these
>>
File: FB_IMG_1487364304375.jpg (168KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1487364304375.jpg
168KB, 1280x960px
>>980917
I see your 1981 and raise you a 1972
>>
File: FB_IMG_1490983336901.jpg (59KB, 719x477px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490983336901.jpg
59KB, 719x477px
>>1006252
I'm halfway through restoring a 1960s model, seems about as /out/ a bike can get. And they are maintaince heavy, but they're designed to be fixed by an Uneducated ruski with a hammer
>>
File: boat sidecar camper.jpg (65KB, 700x542px) Image search: [Google]
boat sidecar camper.jpg
65KB, 700x542px
>>1006252
>>1006506
>>
File: CT110-cargo sidecar.jpg (98KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CT110-cargo sidecar.jpg
98KB, 600x450px
>>1006714
>>
File: VéloSoleX-sidecar.jpg (85KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
VéloSoleX-sidecar.jpg
85KB, 640x480px
>>1006716
>>
File: Stokemonkey_sidehack.jpg (84KB, 779x584px) Image search: [Google]
Stokemonkey_sidehack.jpg
84KB, 779x584px
>>1006717
>>
>>1006718
>>
File: Honda Super Cub sidecar.jpg (68KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
Honda Super Cub sidecar.jpg
68KB, 736x552px
>>1006719
>>
File: mini bike sidecar.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mini bike sidecar.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
>>1006721
>>
>>994445
My dad had a non-turbo one for a couple of years,. My turds move quicker uphill. Great car though.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
11KB, 275x183px
Anyone have an FJ Cruiser? Are they actually good outdoor vehicles? I've never heard anything about them really.
>>
>>996174
I got it for the gas mileage with a little abusability but it's proven itself more capable than I originally expected. And I love the older Cherokees, the things are tanks and looked rugged as hell
>>
was there ever an update about that guy who was going to convert a range rover or whatever and drive it all over africa to learn life the hard way?
>>
>>1007412
I think thats the OP of this thread.
>>
>>1007045
Depends on how extreme you think an outdoors vehicle ought to be.
>>
>>1007045
Two regulars on /ORG/ on
>>>/o/
have fJ cruisers that they run innawoods with. bretty good, modern, and comfy
>>
>>1006122
No? Who the fuck buys a 4wd for interior aesthetics?
>>
>>1007498
Everything is important. A low roof and and narrow body can mean the difference between banging your head or not.
>>
File: IMG_7056.jpg (108KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7056.jpg
108KB, 600x450px
Thinking of putting some stickers on the sides or cap to disguise my /out/ truck as a commercial one.
The idea is people will be less tempted to break in if its commercial looking than if it looks like there might be cameras or electronics or something inside.
I want to have peace of mind if I park it somewhere and leave it unattended.

Ant Ideas what I should write? I don't want to give the impression there are tools inside either.
>>
>>1007548
"Roto-rooter"
No one wants to steal used plungers.
>>
>>979530
defenders are shit OP get a troopy
>>
>>1007548
People would be more likely to break into a commercial truck because they'll think it has valuable tools and equipment in it.
>>
>>1007432
I just need a vehicle that can go on trails basically. That way I can get to more remote hikes and shooting spots etc. Right now it's only desert terrain but I'd like to transition to Pacific Northwest eventually. I just really like the look of the fj.

>>1007474
That's good to know, they look comfy. Seems like it would be difficult to find a decent one that isn't super expensive though.
>>
>>1007548
Animal transport?

When your car is parked at night people will assume there's nothing but animal shit in the bed.
>>
>>1007548
Maybe just put your full initials or any 3 letter acronym? If you make it logoish with boring font and color people may just overlook it. But then again I'd imagine people targeting vehicles would think any commerical vehicle has better stuff then a regular persons car.
>>
File: 1467153578843.jpg (9KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
1467153578843.jpg
9KB, 211x239px
>>980204
>>980218
Nice.
>>
>>1006077

i tried to find one for sale in texas and it is literally fucking impossible because no one wants to sell them, and the only ones for sale have survived 400,000 miles on their shit

the 100 series are unicorns and the 80s have been beat to shit
>>
>>980975
>fuel for 0.7$ per liter.
Fucking snowniggers. I pay double and earn a quarter.
>>
This month has been fucking terrible for me. Years of trouble free driving and suddenly a million little things break or need fixing in the span of a week.

Didn't pass inspection control due to mismatched paint.
So I had to spend more than a week to painting it.

Horn isn't horning.
Tested the horn and it works fine.
Not going to waste time figuring out the problem. Instead I'll run a wire straight from the battery to a new switch on the dash.

Dropped my tailgate on the tail lights and cracked both of them.
Epoxy, toothpicks, and food coloring saved the day.

Part of the door mirror broke during dissasembly for paint.
Built up the broken part using aluminum shavings, baking soda, and superglue. Now I just need to tap it.

I had to pull out the grille and air filter to get to the horn. While those were out I decided to clean the headlights.
The chrome wiped off the reflector the second I touched it.
Temporary fix using aluminum "duct" tape.
Another inspection fail. Hope the guy doesn't notice.

Accidentally elbowed a fuel return line and broke it. Easy fix, but made me see red at the time.

Broke part of the radiator trying to pull off the thermostat hose.
Huge headache.
Its holding together with epoxy and layers of denim.
Thermostat was calcified shut but now works after soaking in vinegar for a day.

Also flushed the cooling system.

Door didn't close right after reassembly. The hinge somehow sagged. Sheared the hinge right off at the door sill whyle trying to bend it into shape with a lever.
Had to weld a reinforcement plate and repaint that part again.

Clutch died one morning. Must have swallowed an air bubble or something because bleeding at the slave fixed it.

Accelerator somehow got stuck "open".
Turns out cable is frayed from both ends. Eased up enough to drive with a bit of grease, but will need replacement soon.

Really fucked up the start of my summer season to be honest.
Can't wait to finally get /out/.
>>
How many car industrial batteries would it take to power a desktop computer for a few hours? Trying to merge /g/ with /out/.
>>
>>1008438
It's no different here in Australia, See so many early 90's era 80 series with 400,000km on the clock still going for over 13k. if the seller has records of regular maintenance and you know to get shit looked after regularly (RIP wallet due to Toyota tax) then get one, if it has been well looked after you really shouldn't worry until they hit the 600,000km/372,822mile mark with MOST, but not all Cruiser engines, Diesel and Petrol.

If you want to really offroad avoid the 100 series completely, the independent front suspension was so shit for offroading they went back to the front and rear live axle (coil suspension on all 4 corners) for the 105 series and for a good reason.
>>
>>1008580
Interested in this too, running a 2nd battery through an inverter should at least get you a few hours depending on all the wattage all the components need, a high end gaming rig wouldn't last long I would think.
>>
>>1008580
car battery ~ 1.2 kwh (could be more if you have fancy ones)
desktop computer w/ monitor ~200 watts (100-300 depending on set up)
source: literally 3 seconds on google you lazy fuck
>>
>>1008580
You want "deep cycle" batteries, not car ones. Also known as marine or leisure batteries.

The difference is car batteries are made to draw high current for a short period. Constant currents and draining the battery will damage it.

To find out how much power a battery has, just take its Ah rating and multiply by the voltage. A typical battery is 70 to 100Ah.

70Ah x 12v is something like 850Wh. Meaning you can run something that draws 850Watts for an Hour.
But you shouldn't drain a battery to more than 60% of its capacity.

So to be safe, with a 70Ah battery, you can run a 400w whatever for an hour.

In conclusion, buy a fucking China Freight generator and stick it in a hole 50 feet away.
>>
>>1008456
What car?
>>
>>1006252
I've been obsessing over this shit for 4 days now since you've posted it.
>>1006506
you got pics of the one you're restoring?
>>
Anyone care to inform me if a 2001 Toyota 4runner with 200k miles is a smart investment?
Probably about $4kUSD.
>>
>>1009142
>>>/o/17133968
>>
File: bearless.jpg (82KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
bearless.jpg
82KB, 960x960px
>>1009142
yeah. $4k is pretty cheap for one

check for rusting and the transfer case. what's the engine and where do you live?
>>
>>1009150
SouthEast, so I should be ok on rust.
What do you look for on the transfer case - it being missing / Cracked?
V6 probably, since I heard the V4 are way too slow. Dont really want a V8
Hoping to find a Limited, since it looks comfy af.
>>
File: ya190.jpg (27KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
ya190.jpg
27KB, 300x375px
>>1009165
Yeah, you should be fine with rust. The transfer cases are one of the first things to go on old(er) 4x4s since they're rarely actually used. this means gear neglect and the oil that's allowed to stagnate. If the 4x4 system works, it should be fine. It's not THAT old anyway.

3.5 (or 3.4?) V6 is good enough for offroading. Ferd Exploder had the 5.0 V8 - 4runners don't have a V8 option. Did the US get the I-4 turbodiesel? Because if you did, that could be another alternative to the V6 (but then you'll be paying tay yoda AND diesel tax).

lmao captcha was a hilux surf
>>
>>1009169
Thanks for the info. I dont want ford. I might consider the xterra, but I got a woman and that no frills interior is kinda meh. It wont be a daily, since we would have 2 cars anyway, but still. I need some comfort in my ride, especially a truck.
>>
File: cold doggo.jpg (367KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cold doggo.jpg
367KB, 1920x1080px
>>1009191
>i don't want ford
Neither did I. So that's why I bought a Ford Ranger. Granted, the 5.0 and 4.0 SOHC are Ford inventions...

Xterra means you don't pay the TayYoda tax. But you lose out on aftermarket support. If you're not looking for a daily, how much are Land Cruiser 70s or 80s? Worth waiting around for one of those, desu.
>>
>>981478
HAHAHAHA
What a little punk bitch
>>
can you put a trailer on an avg car, if you can put a ball hitch on it? wish i had a truck.
>>
File: 20170505_200953.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_200953.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
This piece gets it done
>>
>>1009261
Quick answer: Yes. Just not uphill.
>>
*blocks your path*
>>
File: Tafdkafjlkdas.jpg (1MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
Tafdkafjlkdas.jpg
1MB, 3984x2241px
Pros:
>large, can fit full size inflatable mattress in the back for boning
>still room leftover for gear
>infallible engine
>autolocking rear diff
>tons of parts for it
>breddy easy to work on

Cons:
>large also a con, because reasons
>dogshit front suspension (my fault)
>trans is pajeet-tier
>needs to refill 26 gallon gas tank after driving 2 miles
>heavy as fuck
>no internal roll cage
>>
>>1009314
oh, well thx for the reply.
>>
File: Copy of IMG_0325.jpg (587KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Copy of IMG_0325.jpg
587KB, 2048x1536px
>>997253
I drove these shaggin wagons in Afghanistan anon, they're comfy as fuck
>>
File: 480-4155-uaz-452-passenger.jpg (65KB, 750x496px) Image search: [Google]
480-4155-uaz-452-passenger.jpg
65KB, 750x496px
how to get pic related in US? I wanna live my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. dreams
>>
>>1009656
fly to Prague
buy one from a farmer (normally kept in the best condition)
drive to Germany
get put on ship
done it twice with a GAZ-69 and Mz-250
>>
>>1009110
>>
>>1009803
>>
>>1009804
>>
File: TV Hill 022.jpg (1014KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
TV Hill 022.jpg
1014KB, 1600x1200px
>>1006077
>mah nigga
also available in armored for 3rd world and/or European cities
>>
>>1009037
1981 Peugeot 1&1/4 ton truck.

>>1008456

Had a the "Tier II" inspection today.
Failed on several points. Have 7 days to get everything fixed or I have to turn in my plates.
Can't operate on public roads meanwhile.

-Oil in differential was not to factory spec.
-Tires are two years past expiration date.
-Headlights slightly out of alignment.
-Right headlight bulb 15% dimmer than Left one.
-Rubber threads on pedals too worn.
-Red paint on injection pump shut off lever is worn.
-Part of medicine kit expired
-Rubber boot on tie rod showing signs of cracking.
-Speedometer 7% out of alignment.
-License plate illumination lights don't work.
-Dashboard plastic faded.
>>
>>1009803
>>1009804
>>1009806
very nice anon
>>
File: image.jpg (338KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
338KB, 1600x1200px
Quit sucking eachother's cocks, get a proper /out/ ute.
>>
File: ridindirty.jpg (209KB, 1371x763px) Image search: [Google]
ridindirty.jpg
209KB, 1371x763px
>>1010434
>ute

I grew out of that meme a long time ago cunt.
>>
>>1010489
>abandons one meme only to take up another
>>
File: IMG_0030.jpg (264KB, 1242x1229px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.jpg
264KB, 1242x1229px
Where are all my XJ bros at?

It's been a while since I've frequented these threads, but I just finished getting her up and running after learning a bit about how to work on her (and a lot of trial and error).

>>981024
A lot of the other suggestions aren't bad, but I would also throw in the XJ since it'll be dirr cheap, and parts for one aren't as over priced. As someone who has done a bit of driving in the UP (family is all from Houghton/Hancock area and so I go up as much as I can), I can say my XJ hasn't failed me yet in the middle of January in Yooper snow up around Mount Bohemia and trails in the Keweenaw. If you can arrange it, try to get one from down south though, there'll be a lot less rust and undercarriage damage. My grandparents drive Subarus, but that's going to be even pricier part wise.

>>985727
Interesting. Do you get the (((Jeep Wave))) in that?
>>
>>1008899
Thanks I worded the question really bad but you still manage to answer what I was thinking of.
>>
>>1009656
>are you even /out/ if you aren't driving one of these
>>
File: water can.jpg (610KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
water can.jpg
610KB, 1000x750px
What is a non vehicle specific attachment you recommend? I'm thinking like pic related for a bit of water but I would mount it in a better place
>>
>>1003561
pretty pricey but they hold their value and are generally pretty reliable
>>
>>1010771
I carry a generic 5 gallon water jug from Winco.

Carry a few extra gallons of gas, obviously.

I just got a solar panel to charge a deep cycle battery in my camper shell that powers the LED lights and will soon power a small fan / inverter, so something to reliably power your shit could come in handy.
>>
>>1010519
Love XJs and CJs, I have had both. And yeah I get the jeep wave from all the local douchebags in their 4 Dr JKs and the old school guys too,,, but only when I have the mud tires or all terrains on... When I put the wimpy lil highway tired back on, it's back to grocery getter mode...
>>
>>1010489
>prado

kys
>>
>>1011013
>4 Door JKs
Are those even Jeeps at this point? I don't even bother to see if anyone waves with those since it's normally a mom or teenaged girl. I've seen one or two Liberties around here though with a lift, basket, MaxTrax, and stuff and those seem a lot more like a Jeep than the hardtop, 4 door, JKs which almost seem like the next progression in soccer mom cars. From wagons to minivans, from minivans to SUVs, then from SUVs to JKs.

Poor JKs ;_;

I've driven my buddy's Rubicon for a bit when we were wheeling in New Mexico and it was so much fun, they deserve better than that.
>>
File: 1294002094285.jpg (48KB, 512x323px) Image search: [Google]
1294002094285.jpg
48KB, 512x323px
>>1011189
>105 series
>Prado
>>
>>979530
Quick questions:
Best gasoline storage container?
Best way to store said storage container??
I'm imagining those red metal containers and just ratchet strapping them to the roof of my Ford Escape
>>
File: IMG_20151211_234053173-L.jpg (69KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151211_234053173-L.jpg
69KB, 800x451px
>>1011605
Rotopax are nice, unique mounting system. On the expensive side for fuel containers (they have some for water as well).

I go with 5gal "utility jugs" and a filter funnel for most of my fuel storage/transport needs.

If you buy the standard plastic fuel jugs, do yourself a favor and buy a couple of the canadian-style spouts and throw the overly complicated shit spouts away. You'll spill less fuel, they're easier to use, and seal better.
Thanks, california, for fucking that all up.

>Pic related.
>>
File: eddiebaueredition.jpg (176KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
eddiebaueredition.jpg
176KB, 1024x768px
What does /out/ think of a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition?
>>
>>1011872
Depends, what model were they nicknamed "Ford Exploder" after?
>>
>>1011273
I can't agree more brother... I have only ever seen one guy use his jk like it was intended for. I mean, they can be pretty rides... But idk, since they are like you said more and more mean looking soccer mom SUVs, I lost a lot of respect for em.
>>
File: my_face_my_soul.jpg (112KB, 1060x404px) Image search: [Google]
my_face_my_soul.jpg
112KB, 1060x404px
>>1002816
>tfw I haven't been out on the Rubicon in over 2 years.
>>
>>1011273
>>1012424
You guys that know that for over 40 years only a small percentage of Jeep buyers actually take them off road for leisure purposes right?
This is nothing new.

The huge popularity of the JK led to the rise of a new cottage industry and the formation of dozens of new companies that design and manufacture off road parts.

You're basically just REEEEEEing at normies for liking what you like.
>>
>giving one single fuck about what types of people are driving a car model
>letting that impact what car you choose to own

plebs. stop caring about what other plebs think
>>
>>1012767
>you're basically just REEEEEEing
Meh, I'm not mad at them, just a bit disappointed. I know it's a thing, and that's why I see so many 4Runner TRDs running around to soccer games, I just wish it wasn't so, mane mane. The problem isn't that they like what I like, it's that they like the IMAGE of it, and buy the shit, but then don't like what it was intended for is all.
>>
>>1012767
I know it helps the aftermarket industry a bunch. Hell even the cheap knockoff parts are good on a way since they make legit companies be competitive and innovative. But I hate when I hear a soccer mom complain about how tall her jeep is to get in and out off when all she does is haul kids in it, burning 1200 mud tires up her hubby put on there up going down the highway
>>
>>979530
>ctrl-f
>no nissan frontier

Am I just autistic? I love mine, it's comfy as fuck. I don't have a pic of mine specifically but it's the XE, pic related, minus the running boards and in beige.
>>
>>1013295
>not having a photo of your car /out/

Also new bread or R.I.P?
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 113

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.