[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think about buying surplus army rations to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: ration.jpg (10KB, 185x160px) Image search: [Google]
ration.jpg
10KB, 185x160px
What do you guys think about buying surplus army rations to take as camping food?

I'm going on a 10 day hike, and I'll need all my own food from the start. I've toyed with bags of oats, rice, and looked at camping food by companies like Mountain House, but it all seems either very expensive for little calories or very heavy and bulky.

So i looked up how they do it in the military, and discovered that you can quite easily buy military rations online. You can get an entire days calories for a reasonable price and a small enough size. Such as these.

http://evaq8.co.uk/Ration-Packs.html

The only reason im asking is because ive never seen or heard of anyone using this method before so it makes me skeptical.
>>
>>669906
You are going on a ten day hike and have never prepared food /out/ before?
>>
So I've never gone out, but want to. It seems to me, and I may be wrong, but it seems that it would be best to take raw high energy density stuff that you can make into other things. Stuff like high protein flour, powdered milk, anything dehydrated and with a good packing density. Am I missing something?
>>
>>669906
>The only reason im asking is because ive never seen or heard of anyone using this method before so it makes me skeptical.

Because it will be heavy as fuck son. Thats the appeal of freeze dried meals suck as Mountain House. They weigh very little. When I do a long distance hike I try to keep pack weight as low as I comfortably can. It makes for a much more enjoyable hike
>>
>>669909
Yes. I have 2 months to prepare. I've eaten /out/ before but we were driving and just took regular food. This all needs to be on my back.

>>669923
But the core calories of these rations are dehydrated foods.
>>
This is one of the ration packs spread out. 1 day here.
>>
>>669939
Are you going to be at altitude?
Food is a lot harder to cook up there

And since you have 2 months to prepare, you should probably try cooking stuff at home first.

There is plenty of food you can get at your regular store for backpacking too. I usually bring a variety of freeze dried and regular food because my gf gets bored eating the same shit
>>
>>669951
Scottish Highlands, not particularly high.
I haven't settled on this idea, it's still just an idea. It's really hard to find out about camping food for extended trips though.
>>
>>>653254
>>
a lot of you are being really absolutist. while it may be life or death, this isnt nasa. the revitalizing effect of a crisp cool apple at the dusk of a tiring day will be more nourishing to your mind/body/soul than 99% efficient nutrition dust
>>
>>669982
who, in this thread, is being absolutist

people are asking the op where he is going and what type of terrain

sounds like relativism to me
>>
>>669982
I don't mind nutrition dust, or nutrition dust dumplings, could even wash it down with some nettle tea or something else you find along the way. It's fine, nothing wrong with efficiency or simplicity.
>>
>>669982
Well i intent to take a few luxury foods if i can take the weight. I'll be setting off from a town with shops. But you can't expect someone to take a bag of apples.
>>
>>670006
>you can't expect someone to take a bag of apples.
went on a three day hike once... noticed that one friend was struggling a little bit with his pack. thought he was just out of shape... second night he pulls this 3 gallon mini barrel of beer out of his pack
>>
>>670014
Jesus Christ.

Why didn't he just take Vodka and mix it with tea or something.
>>
>>670014
>1998
>on the JMT
>days from any trail head
>northbound dude has a big boom box
>blasting tunes
My buddy was livid. I thought it was funny
>>
File: tea in ten seconds.jpg (287KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
tea in ten seconds.jpg
287KB, 1024x768px
>>669906
if you have no strong feelings about your food, ration packs will take the burden of decision away and let you get on with the stuff you care about.

cooking dehydrated food three times a day, and boiling all your water for hygiene, how much fuel would a trangia use in ten days? can you improve things by carrying some boiled water in a thermos for brewing up? you'd better run the numbers.

protip: practice your outdoor cooking OUTDOORS. a mate of mine burnt his kitchen down cocking about with penny stoves.
>>
>>670100
>a mate of mine burnt his kitchen down cocking about with penny stoves.
lel what

fucking how
>>
>>670100
I'm not fussy about food really.
Actually all the food in those ration packs can be eaten cold so if my fuel runs out i'll be okay.

Though that is my other question, how much gas do i actually need for 10 days. I'm not sure i'll be able to make any camp fires, theres not many trees or woods where im going, so i'll have to rely on it.
>>
>>670145
>rubberised rice and catfood jalfrezi, eaten cold
are you going into the wilderness to experience true despair?
>>
>>669939
>But the core calories of these rations are dehydrated foods.

Didnt check out the link. Just assumed they were like MREs.
Mea Culpa
>>
The main benefits of military rations are:
#1 Require no water
#2 Require no cooking to eat

The main drawbacks are:
#1 Weight.
#2 Empty packaging is messy unless you dont give a fuck and just liter or burn plastic.
>>
File: IMG_20160120_160258.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_160258.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>670100
> the burden of decision

You've got it.

I packed for an upcoming overnight at 10k' in about 20 seconds. Chainmail ratsack if you haven't seen one.

I will carry lunch in my tummy and a few perishables picked up that day or before.
>>
>>670162
I'm hoping not, just if the gas does run out, im not screwed.
>>
>>669960
There is a huge wealth of information about food for extended trips online. Maybe the long distance hiking tradition isn't as strong in your smaller country, but check out websites and forums by hikers in the USA. There are several popular long (months to complete) trails in the country including the Appalachian trail, pacific coast trail, and central divide trail that have become testing grounds for long distance hiking methods.
>>
>>669906
I'm surprised there hasn't been any /k/ memes about the epic constipation MREs cause.

>drink lots of water
>eat the chewing gum
>>
>military rations/MRE
>mountain house/backpacker pantry

These are not the only two options.

A little forethought and a trip to the grocery/dollar store and you can have all the food you need for a fraction of the price.
>>
>>669906
I would personally avoid mres for the whole trip, but maybe just a main course here or there wouldn't be too heavy. You should look up some youtube videos of guys 7 day food supply for the pct. As far as fuel goes here's my opinion.
Figure out how much of your food/water will need to be boiled. Figure out how fast your stove set up will boil water. Usually 2 cups at a time for most meals. Then see what the estimated burn time is of your canister/gas. Don't quote me but i think one of the larger canisters for a jet boil type stove will burn at medium heat for something like 45 min,depending on the stove. So. 2 minutes to get water hot. Let's say you can boil 2 cups about 20 times. Sorry if my numbers are off. ..but i think you get the point.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.