[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pack Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 16

File: image.jpg (39KB, 450x676px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 450x676px
Hey /out/, I need a 70l pack that basically isn't a 250$ osprey. The size can be a few smaller or a few larger. I wasn't sure what bags that are cheap are shit or not? Anyone have suggestions?

Anyways,
>ITT: Your Packs
>>
File: 333_928_xl.jpg (28KB, 450x676px) Image search: [Google]
333_928_xl.jpg
28KB, 450x676px
Coincidentially, I own a Xenith 105
>>
The deuter ACT lite is a little cheaper while still boasting good quality. Maybe check out granite gear, their stuff can be a little less expensive. Otherwise I don't know of many other quality brands making a 70L cheaper than that. Or just get something on sale...
>>
>>667231
Check out Kelty or Alpine Designs.

Stay away from Jansport, they make good bookbags but their trail packs went to shit after VF outdoor bought them.

Also, check the clearance sales at sites like REI Outlet, Sierra Trading, Moose jaw, etc. It's off season so retailers will be clearing out inventory to make room for new spring models.
>>
Also look for gear swaps in your area. Local /out/ clubs usually meet up a coue times a year to clean out their old gear. Good deals can be had.
>>
>>667277
Do sc/out/s live in Michigan?
I'm from /k/ and there's nobody fucking here
>>
I have a high Sierra Sentinel 65 liter pack. I can't complain about it at all.

Teton sports makes affordable bags. They sell them on amazon. Teton lists in ci, not L, so look for a 4000ci bag from them.

Both teton and high Sierra have bags under $100.
>>
>>667274
Is moose jaw reputable I never had heard of them prior to shopping for packs, and they're deals seem too good to be true...

Not OP btw but i happened to be looking at the same Pack
>>
>>667422
I've bought plenty from them. They're legit, they even do an REI-style 10% rebate on some items.
>>
>>667422
They're not just an e-tailer either, they're a small regional brick-&-mortar chain. Mostly in Michigan.
>>
File: Pack.jpg (1MB, 1050x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Pack.jpg
1MB, 1050x1500px
>>667231
Also coincidentally, I happen to own that $250, 70L osprey pack.

Pic Related: Osprey Aether 70L. I have a little Arcteryx Cierzo 25L attached to the back for a little extra capacity for my 9-10 day trek coming up.
>>
Big sale on packs over at woot. Some great deals. Look under the sport section.
>>
>>667448

My nigga. I'm using an Atmos 65 currently. Did I fuck up not getting an Aether?
>>
>>667550
Shit no. One of the guys I'm going with has an atmos 65, and I love that thing too. It's what inspired me to get the Aether. I tried his on and the comfort of it sold me instantly.They are both bad ass packs.

The thing that sold me on the Aether over the Atmos was all of the compression straps so i can cinch it down if i'm not using all of it and the straps on the back so i could neatly add some more volume if i needed too. Coupled with the little Arcteryx 25L pack (or any other small pack) it's pretty much a perfect system for 1-10 days. Makes it a little more modular than the old Kelty external frame 82L that I was using.
>>
File: 252901_2_1.jpg (245KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
252901_2_1.jpg
245KB, 1500x1500px
>>667231

$150 Osprey, 75 liters.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews/Osprey-Volt-75
>>
>>667448
Do you worry about your air mattress being exposed like that? I'm constantly worried I'm going to puncture/abrade it when I set my pack on the ground. I use an old tent sack to protect mine.
>>
>>667751
Yeah, a little. This is the first time i'm carrying it rolled up while folded in half to make the length of the roll longer. I usually just had it rolled up normal in a sack but it stuck out too far on the sides. I might try to find a new bag for it.
>>
How are True North Sherpa packs? Anybody has any experience?
>>
Can anyone tell me what size bag I'll need for 2 weeks camping including bringing all my own food.
>>
>>667231
Check out ebay they have some fucking amazing deals. 100L Bags for $100. 70L with adjustment straps and everything for $35. Seriously... Fuck REI.
>>
>>667274
i have an old jansport external frame pack from when i was in the scouts. it works fine for me.

can someone more enlightened explain to me why external frames have gone the way of the dinosaur? also where the fuck do you even put your sleeping bag/pad on some of these packs?
>>
>>668021
Depends on what you can do without (how long you're willing to have changes of clothes/find water each day etc)

For me, I'd take an 80L+ pack, but I'm also 6'3", need xl length tent/sleeping pad/sleeping bag, which take up more room.

I currently rock a Gregory Baltoro 65 (long version, so it's bigger than 65). Has more than enough room for 4 day trips. (longest I've used it on so far, but used it Many 1 or 2 night trips.)
>>
>>668050
Forgot to add, I also don't attach anything to the outside of it. I like all my shit fitting inside my pack. I think I have a coghlans thermostat/compass/rape whistle near my chest strap, and a kleenkanteen in the water bottle spot by the hip. That's all that's on the outside (and hydration hose)
>>
>>668051
I love my Coghlan's rape whistle, does yours have the mirror, magnifying glass and flashlight-that-worked-for-about-a-week?
>>
>>668067
Mines the magnifying glass, thermometer, compass rape whistle. Though my knife sharpener has a flashlight, and had a fire steel that broke the first time I used it. Flashlight probably would break if I actually used it.
>>
>>668043
its so you don't need to gypsy carry everything, thus needing tie down materials and bags for anything you don't want dirty or wet. your pad and bag just go inside. although if you have a foam mat you can usually still tie it down somewhere.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-17-14-38-04.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-17-14-38-04.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>668050
>>668051
Here's my baltoro. Going to do a gear load out in the gear load out thread, so take a look If you're interested.
>>
>>668050
I'm taking food in the same manner as this guy
>>666162

I'm 5'8, but I don't mind having some things hanging on the bag, so maybe 70L?
>>
How can I decide how big of a pack I'll need?
>>
>>668138
Buy all your shit first and see how much it takes up
>>
>>668138
Acquire all your outing gear, wrap it in a blanket, and calculate the rough cubic square footage with a tape measure. Type in google your sqft converted to liters.
>>
>>668134
Two weeks of food will take up a lot of space and weigh a ton. If you are even moderately active each day you are going to need at least a pound and a half of calorie dense food per day. Bigger pack will be better...
>>
>>668138
what are you wanting to do with your pack, and for how long?

you can always sinch down all the compression straps on a pack that's too big. You can only add so much on the outside of a smaller backpack.

With an external frame pack, you have no reason to use it for any day hikes.

Go to a store, or multiple stores, and try on a whole bunch of backpacks. You'll get an idea of the style that fits best, and also talk to people that have more experience than most of /out/ can give.

An overnighter where you're taking a whole sleep system, a large pack will be just fine, even if you don't fill it.

>TLDR
get a pack that's larger than you think you'll need
>>
>>668043

One of the reasons is because external frame packs tend to be a little wider, and with things attached externally, they aren't as nimble as an internal frame. It's nice to be able to walk through a patch of thick brush, and not have your frame snag on a branch.
>>
>>668043
I just switched from an external to an internal. Weight is a big thing since external packs usually weigh significantly more than their internal equivalent. I just lost 5 lbs from my setup just by switching styles, same capacity. They are bulkier, and imo subjectively less comfortable and form fitting.
>>
>>668043
A few reasons.

Internal frame packs, despite having less weight capacity, carry the load closer to your natural center of gravity. A lot of people find this more comfortable and easier to hike with.

They're also slimmer/less bulky.

Most of the better lacks have a zippered compartment for your sleeping bag at the bottom of the bag.

All that bring said, I know several hunters who still prefer external frames because of the better weight capacity and adaptability to different loads.

When I was working at REI as a packfitter we still had a fair amount of requests for the Kelty Trekker.

Pick the pack that suits you, I guess.
>>
You can get an Alps Cascade off amazon for $100
>>
File: bag.jpg (3MB, 2221x2251px) Image search: [Google]
bag.jpg
3MB, 2221x2251px
>>667231
>>
File: 1452218790648.jpg (275KB, 651x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1452218790648.jpg
275KB, 651x1600px
If I were looking for a sub $120 50-65 L pack what would some good options be? Sorry but my Google studies aren't helping me at all.
>>
>>668423
High Sierra is good.

Woot usually has great deals in packs. Right now they have a granite gear for 99$ I've been look at as a secondary pack. It's only a 46L though.
>>
I have a kelty 80L, kinda rushed into buying it, I could probably find something I like more for the same price but it's been good, no complaints.
>>
File: 20160118_125805.jpg (123KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
20160118_125805.jpg
123KB, 640x480px
I got a problem with my pack last time I was /out/.

Do you have any idea of how to reattach this to the silver line? It's made of hard plast and the silver line seems like really strong rubber or something alike.
>>
>>668529
more, better photos. I have no idea what I'm looking at.
>>
Any Canadian places to get high capacity packs for a decent price?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-18-13-44-43.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-18-13-44-43.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Im looking at pic related for backpacking/ all day/ limited overnight. What does /out/ know about them? They look good but ive only seen one youtuber really review it (joe from joebushcraft) and was wondering if anyone here has experience with it or recommendations for something similar or better
>>
>>668392
Please post breakdown
>>
>>667231
i've had my aether 70 for a while, worth the price IMO.
>>
>>668609
MEC, but I heard their backpack product line was shit this year.
>>
>>668661
Mcq bushcraft did the review on them also, says they are good but is it just a shill? Who knows.
>>
>>667231
A.L.I.C.E. Pack with FRAME for 30$ used

Thank me later.
>>
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karabar-Makalu-Loader-Litres-Backpack/dp/B003C22F9M/ref=pd_sim_200_80?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Hj471t5VL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1V5NFYMCD8SF29Z9P2Z9

How the fuck can this exist at this price.

I assume it literally falls apart at the seams.
>>
>>668661
Lol, $180 for a 20L pack.

Honestly, if you buy this, you are an absolute fucking idiot.
>>
>>668529
My pack has a set up like this for the chest strap.

Start at the thinnest part of the silver line.

Press hard and slide the clip upwards. The sliding and pressure should make it pop back on.
>>
>>670028
>120L
>no frame

That's how, it's a glorified duffel.
>>
>>667231
If you can sacrifice 15L, get one of these.
>www.groupon.com/deals/gg-high-sierra-frame-packs

Just get a fanny pack or strap something to the outside. Or better yet, pack less stuff, it will be perfect.
>>
teaton

made well and with adjustable back length for the perfect fit too.
teaton is pretty much the only option for best price to performance ratio. the same goes with their sythetic bags, and trust me, im one of the few people here who actually knows about sleeping bags.
>>
>>667231

What are you doing, and how long does it need to last? You *can* get away with using a cheap POS for some things.
>>
File: 1452931136229.jpg (80KB, 561x960px) Image search: [Google]
1452931136229.jpg
80KB, 561x960px
British army bergen PLCE. Cost 50€, is completely waterproof, extremely sturdy, and holds 100L + has two 10L attachable side pockets for a total of 120L.
>>
>>670775
Shit man, should i get it?

http://www.firestormkit.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1326
>>
>>670796
I bought it from that site also. Keep in mind that they are used, I bought two and they varied in condition. One packs camo pattern was a bit faded and 2-3 clips were missing, otherwise in a really good condition. If you're about 6 feet, I recommend the longback version, supposed to be more comfy. But yeah, I love it. So I'd say go for it.

> pic with rocket pouches attached.
the pouches can be joined via zippers also. Inside is my 4-person tent, 2 MSR gas canisters, 1-2 steel pots, some tinder and a stove.
>>
>>670813
goddamnit, forgot pic
>>
>>670813
I'm not sure i want to risk buying a second hand pack, if my pack falls apart on the trip im going on i'll be literally dead.
>>
>>670816
the bags are built to last, they seem to be seriously strong. I did some research before buying them. After all, they're issued to the british military.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 576x702px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 576x702px
Any thoughts on this pack ? I like the fact that it comes with a rain cover, and it seems pretty comfortable from what I've read.

Doesn't seem like it has good side pockets though and not sure about the durability

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one for about 190 on amazon
>>
File: 1453185184755.jpg (61KB, 394x370px) Image search: [Google]
1453185184755.jpg
61KB, 394x370px
>>667231
>>667246

those bags are shit
the S-curve is good for transferring the weight over to your hips, but plenty of straight packs do that just fine too, so the ospery curve really is just a gimmick

other than that, yeah the design looks 'cool' the pictures are stock photos with packs that have been filled perfectly to look puffy and not shitty. the only other performance point of concern would be the weight. they are not the lightest since they focus on internal storage, rather than reducing size and mounting all your bulky items externally to save on backpack size/weight

overall 7ripoff/10
nice gimmick bro, you are totally the richest most fasionable dude of the trail and i respect that
>>
>>670920
if its an old style gregory, before samsung bought the company, then do it that shit will last you years

if its new style with new logo, you might as well have stuffed that cash up your ass
>>
>>670930
What do you mean by old style gregory?
>>
>>670928
the fuck?
you've never backpacked with one, have you?

nah. didn't think so, cunt.
>>
>>670930
Jesus, when did they get sold? Gregory used to be the pinnacle of backpacks.
>>
>>670930
The one on that pack is the squiggly logo... Is that the old one ?
>>
File: 1452734520488.jpg (5KB, 250x213px) Image search: [Google]
1452734520488.jpg
5KB, 250x213px
>>670945

mommyyy i dont want this osprey pack anymore because some anon pointed out its flaws and made me feel like a retard who has no realistic clue about what he's doing!!!
>>
>>670930
Apparently "samsonite" bought them out like a year ago

Wonder what that will do to. The brand
>>
File: 60l-worksack-7.jpg (207KB, 450x896px) Image search: [Google]
60l-worksack-7.jpg
207KB, 450x896px
tell me why you folks don't buy american made

there's so many good american bag companies- cilo gear, hyperlite mountain gear, mystery ranch, just to name a few
>>
>>670976
sure thing bud.
sure thing.
>>
File: ospreypack.jpg (177KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ospreypack.jpg
177KB, 500x375px
>>670928
I feel like you have a personal grievance with the company. Their packs are known to be good quality.
>>
>671549
Because most of those companies are too small to have any market penetration. Unless you spend a lot of time researching you won't come across those brands. Even if you do, chances are you are not going to get your hands on one to see the quality and comfort without buying one.
>>
a 6day hike would be enough with a 41 litre bag right?
>>
>>671612
you'll struggle
>>
>>671612
Usually anything over 5 days requires something in the 70L + range by most standards... Def depends how heavy/ light you pack though
>>
>>670920
I decided to buy the contour I'll come back and let you guys know how it handles
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.