[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THE REAL Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 47

File: 1500579165847.jpg (82KB, 600x655px) Image search: [Google]
1500579165847.jpg
82KB, 600x655px
#179-"Strippers with Stripers" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1062242

Around these parts we wait for the bump limit. And I wasn't going to post it, but the OP who creates a new thread when the old one is at 290 keeps trying to defend his shitty choices.

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
Good thread, brightens the board, I like it.
>>
Now this a decent op's photo, you guys have been fucking up lately thb baka senpai.
>>
File: IMG_2307.jpg (159KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2307.jpg
159KB, 960x960px
>>1064660
>>1064661
NOW we can finally talk about fishin

I was working today right by this lake with peacocks and some nice LMB in it, right around 11am. But it's super clear water and those lakes you can really only hit em with good conditions.

Anyway there were a few kids/dudes maybe high school or college age casting Rat-L-Traps and shit and gettin nothing. I was going to tell em the spot right around the bend where I often land nice LMB but then the cocky fisherman took over in me and I let em fail. Rat-L-Traps ain't gonna land largemouth at 11am on a sunny July day anyway. Not in Florida.
>>
File: image.jpg (198KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198KB, 720x1280px
Bumping with a monster

>>1064630
Awesome. I'm glad you're getting some use out of them. They were the tsunami eels right?
>>
Does anyone get spooked fishing under bridges when wading?

Something about the darkness, not seeing the bottom, typically deeper under them. Also the echoing and sounds of traffic above
>>
this is called autism

why make a new op?
>>
>>1064668
>being able to see the bottom
>ever

Must be nice
>>
>>1064671
Nope. I could hardly do that, have but I always go slow and scared. I think I got some fear of water when I cant see the bottom.
>>
how will we survive this thread war

also pleb shore fisherman. can i get away with a 7'2 rod? or am i gonna run into problems
>>
>>1064681
i have a 7' and it's fine

smaller and you can't cast as far and bigger you'll get stuck in tree branches/bushes easily
>>
>>1064665
jesus I would destroy the one on the right
>>
>>1064679
Are you in freshwater? Unless you live in gator territory there's nothing to be afraid of. I promise you nothing will eat you. I have a friend that's the same way, but she's starting to get better about it now that I've been encouraging her to do it.

>>1064681
All of my casting rods are over 7'
>>
>>1064681
im both a shore boat and kayak fisherman and the 2 rods i run most are BOTH 7 ft 6
>>
>>1064697
I've been in some spooky water before. Once almost neck deep looking for a tractor tire in stained-cant-see-shit water, purpose for cleanup with a river veteran that loves the river as much as I do.

Only shitty thing is banging into trees.

Snapping turtles scare me. That's the only threat... I think... And all I want to know
>>
The organization at my local Dick's is crap. The whole zoom plastic section was mix-matched all over the place. Not only that but they only had two colors of the U-tale worms. I happened to pick one up in motor oil with a chartreuse tip. I was aiming for a pumpkin-chart however, and I found this color only in a trick worm form.
I was still happy since it beat buying them online with shipping rates, and at the store they offered a third bag free if I got two.

Anyways questions for yall. Is there a difference in u-tales and trick worms I should keep in mind? Is it ok to trim the worm down in length so it's not so bulky? How does motor oil work for you?
>>
I get mixed facts online; are dark or light lures good for stained water? I hear you need something light and bright for tough visibility, but another case you need something dark so it gets seen more distinguishable
>>
>>1064668
I get spooked wading by myself. Last time I tried, got super anxious in the middle of the creek. Worst part? Water was (maybe) a foot deep. Nothing but sunfish. I just don't like water for as much as I love it

>>1064718
Same here but it gives me an excuse to waste more time and look at more lures. Also, my Dick's doesn't even carry u-tail worms

>>1064725
Trick question. Throw anything that makes noise/vibrations. Color doesn't matter seeing as fish in dark water will hunt with their lateral lines as opposed to their eyes.
>>
>>1064668
I'm generally pretty cautious about wading in general, I've had too many accidents to not watch what the fuck I'm doing.
>drove a rusty fence post through my thigh while duck hunting in right-at-freezing water
>have tripped over submerged shit so many times I pretty much mapped an island in the Mississippi with my shins, have had mild hypothermia from going full under in cold weather twice from it
>have driven nails, used hypodermic needles, splinters of aluminum siding, big fish hooks, what I am about 90% sure was a tree tap for maple syrup, and a large shard of chert through my waders into my foot/ankle
Now I use a wading stick 100% of the time and only buy boot-foot, "brush buster" waders with a steel shank in them. I might sweat my ass off in warm weather (they're universally insulated hunting waders) but at least I won't have to get the tetanus shots for the eleventieth time.
>>
>live by a creek system
>there's a weird step pyramid damn thing
>decide to hike over to it
>one side of the damn is a U shaped pond, and the other side feeds into the creek that runs for miles
>climb down the steps to the creek side to where the water trickles into the creek
>uncountable amount of bluegill suspending inches below the surface where the water is falling over them
>look out in the area of the creek near this area
>1.5ft depth at most, all crystal clear, bluegill sitting on their beds everywhere
>even saw a couple of dink largies just suspending
I want to go out here with some fly tackle soon to sight fish it.
>>
>>1064718
Dick's employee here.

We spend upwards of an hour un-fucking the fishing section every single night. It takes one asshole customer 5 minutes to undo it all, and it's the first guy through the doors 99% of the time.
>>
>>1064714
Snapping turtles are a valid thing to be wary of, but I don't think they're gonna try to get you. Turtles are pretty nonconfrontational from my experiences.

>>1064718
Trimming worms is fine. Just do it from the head.

>>1064725
Bright colors on bright days, dark colors on cloudy days.

>>1064732
Just curious are you a good swimmer? That might have something to do with the spoops. Subconscious fucking with you or something.

>Color doesn't matter seeing as fish in dark water will hunt with their lateral lines as opposed to their eyes.

True to an extent but, having a lure bass can see helps a lot. Bass still hunt by sight as long as the water isn't straight mud. Throwing natural colored stuff in dirty water isn't doing yourself any favors a lot of time.

>>1064734
Jesus Christ lol. The lake gods must hate you. I always try to walk with light feet when I wade. Its saved my ass a couple times, but do something long enough and you're bound run into some trouble.
>>
>>1064736
doesnt sound like you need to sight anything, just flick a fly anywhere and see who gets there first.
>>
>>1064742
I don't know anybody who's waded the Mississippi any length of time that hasn't driven something pointy through the boot of their waders or tripped over something and gone down. Just one of those facts of life you deal with, and why everybody keeps road flares and a serious first-aid kit in their backpack/blind bag/tackle bag.

The amount of nasty shit like used condoms, hypodermic needles, etc I find washed up on shore on that blighted fucking river is sickening.
>>
>>1064746
>and why everybody keeps road flares and a serious first-aid kit in their backpack/blind bag/tackle bag.

That sounds like a good thing to have no matter what you're doing honestly. Like you said, a part of life is shit going wrong.

>The amount of nasty shit like used condoms, hypodermic needles, etc I find washed up on shore on that blighted fucking river is sickening

Stuff like that angers me to no end. I honeslty don't understand how people don't see an issue with littering.
>>
>>1064754
Most of it isn't directly littering. My section of the river floods every single year (usually twice a year actually), and the flood plain is huge (up to 30 miles either side of the river) due to being in a flat-as-fuck state. Shit that WAS in trash cans/landfills/dumpsters/people's houses or cars ends up in the river that way on the regular. Sure, you have shitbags throwing shit in the river directly but that's not even a major source of all of it.
>>
Is it common for largemouth bass to swim with their fins above the surface of the water? like a shark?
>>
>>1064778
No.

If they're doing it they're either chasing baitfish or in the process of dying.

Also, is anyone else's captcha fucking up on them?
>>
File: IMG_2536.jpg (543KB, 744x858px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2536.jpg
543KB, 744x858px
>>1064737
Dick's is also terrible with their price tags. I mean not just where they place them, but the descriptions are really vague as well. Like they will have signs saying "Rapala 2 for $10" all over the Rapala section, and then a tiny note on the bottom saying "Regular Priced Scatter Rap Only*" so it's really a choice of like 4 lures on sale even tho the signs are all over.

>>1064688
Yee they are some of my faves

>>1064725
I don't get it either. For some reason when I fish somewhere with water that has good visibility but is stained brown, chartruese works well. Trial and error.
>>
>>1064632

forgot to mention yesterday that i caught it on [spoiler]a spoon[/spoiler]
>>
>>1064885
Oh, yeah, our signs blow massive dick.

Not that anyone reads them anyway.
>hey, do you work here?
>I'm wearing a name tag with the Dicks logo on it hung from a lanyard with the Dicks logo on it, and wearing a radio and earbud. Yes.
>[points to the expensive rod rack] Are these really 4 for $10?
>wut? No! Why would you think they were?
>well I saw a sign...
>proceed to walk around the rod rack
>no sign
>Oh, no, no this sign over here! [Points to the endcap of Jawbone frogs THREE FUCKING AISLES AWAY NOWHERE NEAR ANY RODS]
>>
>>1065010
i know your pain
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 600x449px
Thoughts?
>>
Had an interesting conversation with someone today fishing off some jetties which are right next to some docks where all the snowbirds go charter fishing.

This guy was an alright dude, then out of nowhere he keeps going on and on about how charter fishing is "cheating" and that isn't it "real" fishing.

I told him that hopping on a charter doesn't magically grant you a 100% chance of catching a fish but apparently having someone take you on and do everything for you is "cheating".

I think he's just a poor angry dude mad that he was catching dink trout.
>>
I want to try eging. How "involved" is eging? Do you need to be moving a lot or is there a lot waiting? I've never tried to catch squid before.
>>
Going fishing when I finish my dinner in 30mins. Wish me luck...
>>
>>1065055
looks like it'll catch fishes
>>
>>1065072
lol i thought you said edging
>>
>>1065088
Would be a weird board to ask it... not to mention edging is pretty simple.
>>
>>1065055
What the hell is that blade?

Related- I saw Lucky Craft spinnerbaits at a Walmart for the first time and they were two bladed and the larger blade was huge. Much larger than any other spinnerbait I have seen with double willow blades.

Anybody ever use them? I did notice the blade size and profle really looks like a ~3" shad.

>>1065002
I don't think I have ever caught a fish on a spoon.
>>
>>1065098
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Yo-Zuri_3DB_Series_Knuckle_Bait/descpage-YZK.html

One style of ball has a flash and the other one rattles. I'll probably grab a few eventually.

That lucky craft sounds good for slow rolling deep water
>>
>>1065098
all i do with them is toss them into the current and let it carry the spoon downstream a bit

I must've caught 15 fish on this one chinese spoon that's starting to get all rusted now lol
>>
Went into the store looking to buy some hooks and came out with $300 worth of stuff :/

got a tent 40% off and a fenwick ultralight 50% off
>>
>>1064654
I have no desire to catch bass or catfish. Unfortunately thats all we have around here. God I miss trout country
>>
>>1065173
This is why I always talk shit on those Bass Pro surveys about how they should have better sales. When store like Dick's have good sales, it's so easy to walk in there looking to spend $15 on some hooks and a bag of worms, but then you see a reel for 50% off, then grab a rod and line for full price and end up spending $200+ when you planned on spending <$20.
>>
>>1065178
I might even go back tomorrow to get some more stuff... they had some really good deals
>>
I feel frustrated and like a dumbass.

I went to a creek, spills off a dam from a pond. Took my fly rod for sunnies again. Finally got a creek chub surprisingly.

I go downstream and find a rainbow trout chilling out in a lil hole next to a big rock.

I probably spent 30 minutes just floating various flies across its mouth. The pond and brook was stocked back in spring and the place isn't known to hold over trout.

The shitty thing is that it did bite multiple times and of course I never got a hook set.

Maybe it's because I always set it to early since I saw it chomp it right by me. I did bite and spit quickly once however so I figured it was best.
>>
>>1064742
>are you a good swimmer?
Not really. I can swim, but not for long and I can't tread water

>natural colored stuff in dirty water isn't doing yourself and favors
Got me there, but I meant him asking white/chartreuse vs black. Either will work provided that you have a bait that makes noise or causes vibration
>>
>>1065184
It's easy to do the same shit going for bass with topwater like poppers. Especially if you can see the fish, you want to set the hook as soon as you see them strike at it. But you have to let them hit it, drag it under for a second, and then set the hook.
>>
>>1064666

That creek is begging to be flyfish'd. I can hear it.
>I can feel it mane
>>
File: 1494448874690.jpg (64KB, 632x545px) Image search: [Google]
1494448874690.jpg
64KB, 632x545px
PSA
Always check the clearance aisle of your Walmart! I got 150yds of 50lb Super 8 Slick for $10 and a size 4 Mepps Aglia for $4.
>>
>>1064742

Some snapping turtles are very territorial - esp bigger ones. And if you step on them they will fuck your shit up with one bite. I wouldn't wade around them unless I had a tourniquet/first aid.
>>
Anyone here own a freshwater Castaway rod?
>>
>>1065211
I posted about the PowerPro a couple months back. The Walmart by my house had a whole 4' section but the pricing was all fucked up. 150yd and 300yd regular PP for $10 and $18 or something, and slick was like $15 and $22 for 150yd and 300yd.

But the tags were all for 30lb, and I brought a couple spools of 20lb to the register and they rang up full price. But I'm sure if I complained I could've gotten it for cheap. I just hate that Walmart so much and I didn't want to deal with waiting half an hour for some Dindu supervisor. I would rather just go to Dick's.
>>
File: pespi.png (685KB, 1280x1552px) Image search: [Google]
pespi.png
685KB, 1280x1552px
>>1065184
i know the feel
>tfw you see a shool of bluegills
>tfw nomatter what fly you throw at them they only swim over, look at it, then swim away
>tfw sunnies can be picky
>tfw no tfw
>>
>>1065226
Man even most of the sunnies didnt cooperate today too. Really odd how they'll just take a nib of the fly and turn disinterested asap.

I figured out what "trout dont bite in the heat" really means. Hopefully that lil dude stays alive in that creek fed by hot warmed up pond water
>>
>>1065226
I think I need to print up that picture, maybe like the size of a poster, and hang it in the break room at work.

>>1065227
So many fish are like that. Sucks you couldn't get them with flies because my experience with panfish is normally if they won't take a Rapala or Mepps or other baitfish imitation, go smaller with a tiny grub and they will hit it.
>>
>>1065186
Well hopefully if you do it enough you won't get as spooked about it.

>>1065210
That's the bank of a lake, but there is a creek that runs from it that I wreck the panfish on the fly.

Fuck I should've brought my fly rod with me today. I'm going out of town and it'd be great for where I'm going.

>>1065212
Interesting. I have only seen/dealt with a few and they always ran off when I got close.

>>1065223
I own the Skeleton V2 saltwater and it's one of if not the most sensitive rod I own. I dig it a lot. I think I'm going to get one for bassin too.
>>
>>1065010
Just be happy you don't have to deal with gluten fags and vegans.
>Is this pie gluten free
>>
>>1065235
>I think I need to print up that picture, maybe like the size of a poster, and hang it in the break room at work
you really should, it would be funny as heck
>>1065227
fish are strange sometimes. i tied some walt's
worms today in size 14 and im going to try before the sun goes down. maybe the softer fly will feel tastier to them. maybe i just wasted some time. who knows, who cares, im going to have fun
>>1065262
>fuck I should've brought my fly rod with me today
put a small box of your most versatile flies, a small thing of gink, and a few leaders/foam indicators in your fly rod tube and keep it by the door. if you think there is even a chance fishing will be worth it just grab the tube and you're fully equipped to go fly fishing.
>>
>>1065262
>if not the most sensitive rod I own
Fug, I was hoping for more along the lines of "over $100 is diminishing returns".
>>
>>1065277
I personally would put it closer to $200, BUT that doesn't mean a cheaper rod won't be just as sensitive. The next two most sensitive I own are the Blackout ($80msrp) and the Vendetta ($80 msrp). Rods are weird like that, where price doesn't necessarily equal better sensitivity. Like I'm sure the Castaway is more expensive because it has guides that Castaway claims can be sprayed by saltwater for 50 days straight without rusting, and a 5 year warranty.

I don't own any rods over $180, but I have used some super Gucci ones and I wasn't terribly impressed sensitivity wise. Of course they're lighter, usually balance perfectly, have nicer wraps, ect...

Another thing to consider is higher prices rods have better warranties. The really expensive ones may even have lifetime warranties.

If I was going to buy a rod over $300 I'd just get a custom rod at that point.

TL;DR sensitivity isn't the only thing that makes a rod expensive, but past ~$200 all of qualities of expensive rods aren't that much better imo
>>
>>1065286
Do you happen to know if the 13 Fate Chrome is just a rebadged Blackout?
>>
>>1065286
I still kinda want to build my own rod.

Remember awhile back there was that kid in Cali who was building his own rod in his dorm room and taking pics? I wanted him to catalog the whole thing, but then he ordered the wrong size something or other and then gave up posting about it.

And I agree, above $150-$200 and you are really starting to pay for name or warranty. $300+ and you are just paying so you can tell people about your rod.
>>
WHERES WORMGUY? i want to grow my own worms

also wheres eastbayCAguy

i pre ordered the new curado blindly. heres to taking chances and stuff
>>
Went into Dick's today to kill time and saw they were having sales. So I picked up a Strike King Banshee spinnerbait (3/8 oz, frog pattern), some bullet weights, and buy 2 get 1 Zoom plastics. Although I skipped on shakey head jigs and drop shot weights.

3.75" tubes in Rootbeer, Baby Brush Hogs in Sprayed Grass and some 6" lizards in Sprayed Grass. I heard some trips saying how good it was so I figured I'll try it out. How'd I do?
>>
>>1065328
worms are easy

half paper half dirt and just throw some worms in there

water it once in a while
>>
>>1065339
>>1065328
shredded paper*

takes a few weeks for the worms to lay eggs and them to hatch
>>
>>1065334
Yeeee Sprayed Grassâ„¢. The Baby Brush Hogs should do work in the summer.

And the shakey heads, I don't really blame you, especially if you fish from shore. It is permanently windy here, so they never work as designed for me when I want to keep them down and just give it tiny finesse shakes. I would rather use a Texas rig with a 1/8oz bullet weight since lots of worms and stuff will still kind of float and stand up.

Those Banshee spinnerbaits are straight for the price as well. They have the trailer hook too.
>>
>>1065224
I cashier at a Wally World and if you had even mentioned that it was marked a different price I would have just given it to you at that price. Look for the younger cashiers because we really just don't give a shit and want you out of our line ASAP
>>
File: IMG_20170721_201249.jpg (780KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_201249.jpg
780KB, 1200x1600px
>>1065268
Well I guess sunnies like to dance because my walts worked
>pic related
I was the only one catching anything, even outfishing the baitfags. Though there was this one guy following me around the dock. I would start fishing somewhere, catch a few, then he would slowly move towards me. Then I would relocate, hed take my spot, then I would catch fish somewhere else, repeat for the last hour of sunlight
>>
File: IMG_20170721_201028.jpg (704KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_201028.jpg
704KB, 1200x1600px
>>1065360
>oops, forgot trip
Even crappie got down with it
>>
>>1065287
I don't. Sorry anon.

>>1065289
Bruh I'm so down to build my own. It looks fun, but I think it'd be another project I get halfway done with then forget about.

>>1065328
>i pre ordered the new curado blindly
Y O L O
O
L
O

>>1065342
Bruh get you some magnum shaky heads. Not the best if you're moving it all around, but if you're pitching to the base of cover and you want it to stay there not much beats a 1/2oz shaky head and a floating worm.
>>
File: IMG_20170721_222756720~2.jpg (1MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_222756720~2.jpg
1MB, 2340x4160px
>Big Bite Baits
More like Broke Nigga Baits
[spoiler] ;_; [/spoiler]
Any ways I was going to use these craws as a trailer on that football in a creek tomorrow morning.
>>
>>1065397
Dick's loves piling these in there bargain bins. Never went to one without a bin like it.
Most of their colors were trash imo but it's not like I'd know what the fish like to see.

The quantity is also trash. 20 zoom worms for 4$ max and like 10 bite worms for $2.

No real reason to go with them.
>>
>>1065400
>20 zoom worms for 4$ max and like 10 bite worms for $2

That's the same price... I kinda agree on the colors tho. I only really like their swimbaits and squirrel tail worm.
>>
>>1065397
>spoiler

Even Skid does not do that.
>>
>>1065404
[spoiler] :^) [/spoiler]
>>
>>1065392
>another project I get halfway done with then forget about.
I know this all too well.
>>
>>1065289
Fucking Lake Fork Guy, if he doesn't get his shit for free I'm inclined to believe that he just sorts items by price from highest to lowest then buys the first result.
>>
>>1065408
He sells outdoors/fishing stuff for a living, so he probably gets a pretty good deal.
>>
>>1065401
I think big bites goes down to 5 worms a bag actually. Additionally some packs of worms aren't $4. Combine this with zooms plastics holding up better. (Big bites has thinner diameter worms, never used them however so idk about actual durability) and you're getting more for your money with zoom.

Ontop of the buy 2 get 1 lfree deal. But dat bite juice tho
>>
>>1065415
Big Bites does something right every now and then.
Shit it was probably 8 years ago that I met a guy who caught shit loads of 4lbs+ largies on Texas rigged beavers (he showed me the pics on his phone). I haven't seen a Big Bites beaver in any stores for a long while, so it'd be a shame if they stopped making them.
>>
>>1065415
I'm not disagreeing with you for things like worms, lizards, and flukes, the price thing was mostly autism lol. Most of my fish are caught on zoom stuff.

They do have some stuff that works really well that zoom doesn't make though.
>>
>>1065423
I see em all the time. Dick's has them too.

>>1065392
I have some of the heavier ones, football shaped ones as well. But most plastics will still float a bit on a Texas rig so I just prefer those.

>>1065397
I refuse to buy Yum baits because anywhere that minorities fish, the ground is littered with empty $1.99 bags of Yum baits.

>>1065401
I like Zoom too. Most stuff is $3-$4, the color selection is good, and they have a nice balance of durability and action and all that. But there are still some special ones I go for that cost more like the Culprit Incredi-Craws or the Strike King Caffeine Shads
>>
>>1065439
>Strike King Caffeine Shads
Did you ever try those coffee scented minnows?
>>
>>1065447
All of those Strike King KVD soft baits have this sweet smell and I think are coffee flavor. Not like the scent matters for bass. I like those Swim'n Caffeine Shads for other readons
>>
>>1065448
Don't know if you already know, but the reason they chose coffee is because night crawlers you buy in the little containers at stores are fed coffee grounds.
>>
Speed clips: can they be trusted?
>>
ugh someone's already at the spot near my house ;;

its only 5:40 am ://///
>>
>>1065334
Oh yeah, forgot to mention something.

I saw this middle aged guy walking around with headphones in the whole time, even when being rung up. He bought a basic spincast combo, some decent tackle, a kayak, pfd, and paddle. His truck had a Massachusetts license plate, but was in Pennsylvania.

Which of you autists was this?
>>
>>1065262

It's about 50/50 where I'm at. Either the snappers run away or they come closer/try to chase you off. One followed me the whole day around a pond. Shit sucked was scaring all the panfish
>>
File: Snapchat-818202082.jpg (630KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-818202082.jpg
630KB, 1440x2560px
First fish I've caught in years and first largemouth I've ever caught. I know he's small but he's actually decent for the tiny lake I fish at.

I live near the potomac river. What's the best setup to catch anything out of a river. I love catching catfish but I'll go after anything. I'm new to the hobby so help me out. Thanks.
>>
>>1065612
Go for smallies. Depends what part of the river you're in determines what you do. Where it's like a huge tidal river or part of the headwaters.
>>
>>1065620
Ok cool. Any recommended rigs?
>>
File: IMG_20170722_103107241-01.jpg (4MB, 3456x3409px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_103107241-01.jpg
4MB, 3456x3409px
How's everyones Saturday?
>>
>>1065612
use a spoon and let it float in the current
>>
>>1065639
>throwing a popper for sub-surface strikes
>not using a spoon
pleb
>>
>>1065639
Sucky. I'm the heatwave guy from previous thread. Still haven't been fishing because it's just too damn hot. It's ruining everything.
>>
>>1065645
Yee summer does kinda suck. I will probably try and get out there at dusk today.

>>1065506
Damn. I was thinkin about going out early this morning but then I stayed up til 2am so I just woke up.
>>
>>1065654
Actually summer is my favorite time of the year and I love being out then. But not when it's 100+.

Yah I could try dusk or dawn I suppose. But it was still in the mid 90's around midnight
>>
>>1065639
Might head down to the harbour for some mackerel later if I ever finish cleaning up this hellhole of an apartment to somewhat decent standards...

Also, fuck the FG knot and great dishonour to its ancestors. Shit hurts your fingers like hell when you gotta tie a few of them fuckers...
>>
>>1065610
Kek shoulda went Cambo on his ass

>>1065639
Trying to decide what to do/where to fish
>>
anyone go straight flouro on their memecasters?

im thinking of giving it a shot. i'm reading of issues of line memory and needing to use line conditioner is this true?

what brand would yall recommend?
>>
>>1065680
Seaguar is what I use. I'd suggest using at least 15lb. Never had any issue with that. 12lb and 10lb are a bitch to handle on the memecaster tho. Not impossible, but you really have to pay attention when you cast.
>>
>>1065680
Ive got my Caenan spooled with 12lb pro grade trilene XL. as long as you know what you are doing with a baitcaster you can bomb baits of almost any size
>>
>>1065657
Well I'm also in FL so "winter" is 75F and sunny every afternoon.

>>1065682
What makes the lighter line harder to handle?
>>
how the flip do i put a big ass fishing kayak on a mazda 3
>>
>>1065733
>go to the store
>buy ratchet straps and pool noodles
>cut the pool noodles in half
>put them on top of the car
put kayak on pool noodles
>use ratchet straps to hold it down
>>
>>1065741
will that work for a 8 hour trip
>>
>>1065744
yeah if they're strapped tight. what kind of question is that 'will this object remain static if I'm driving at a regular speed for a length of time'. dipshit
>>
>>1065748
well idk... i've never driven that far with something on the roof...
>>
>>1065751
Just check it a couple times within the first hour or two of your trip. Don't speed like crazy and make sure the wind isn't going to catch under it and rip it off at 70mph.

A couple weeks ago I had to bring this glass door cooler, like 7' tall, to a store. Put it in the bed of an F-250 standing up and threw a couple ratchet straps around it towards the middle and bottom. Hopped on the turnpike and when I got up to 60mph, the wind coming over the top of the cab was catching the top half of the cooler and wanted to flip it over. Sketchy as fuck.

But I saw it soon enough and threw another ratchet strap over the top and it was all good.
>>
File: IMG_0717.jpg (242KB, 2114x1856px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0717.jpg
242KB, 2114x1856px
>>1065637

Flyrod+crayfish pattern fly
>>
So this is sorta related to the current discussion.

Coming home from work, I watched a big SUV with a commercial kayak rack dump both kayaks into traffic on the interstate and cause a 20+ car pileup at high speed.

MAKE SURE YOUR STRAPS ARE ACTUALLY TIGHT.

I sell kayaks. I keep having to yell at people when I help them load them and they either just throw them in the bed of a truck with 3 feet of kayak hanging out and not strapping them in at all, or they get the cheapo "foam blocks and 2 skinny ratchet straps but totally worth $35" cartop carrier kits, then don't even get the fucking things finger tight.
>>
>>1065704
It really wants to jump off the spool compared to the heavier stuff. I barely have to thumb the spool on 15 and 17, but the 12 and under I have to pay attention. Not a huge deal just something to be aware of.
>>
>>1065800
Ahh. I would expect the heavier line to want to jump off more easily. Flouro is strange since it is so stiff.
>>
>>1065809
It's been about the same for mono with me too. Heavier stuff just handles better.
>>
>>1065795
thats why the first thing i do if im behind someone with anything strapped to their car i either change my rout to get away from them or pass them asap
>>
>>1065795
never drive behind anyone with shit ontop of or in the back of their truck for extneded perods of time
thats also why when i strap my kayaks down i add 2 loops of 550 cord tying the kayak directly to my roof rack, even if all my ratchet straps were to come off the 550 cord would prevent it from sliding more than a few inches backwards or forwards
>>
File: IMG_5218.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5218.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I went half meme today at Dick's. If only I got a Savage Gear duck and the 2 for $20 Whopper Ploppers...

These Keitechs, that plastic they use is pretty fragile. I think somebody else mentioned it before. After a few casts, already had the tail ripped off one and it won't stay on the hook either.

Not that it's a huge deal, but considering they are about $1ea, it would be nice if they lasted a little longer.

>>1065976
Same here. But I'm not on a bike.
>>
File: 0722171933.jpg (1021KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0722171933.jpg
1021KB, 2560x1440px
Ooohhhh baby. Finally upgraded. Feels good, cant wait to use it. Had a redington behemoth that the handle was broke on. I am really happy about this.

Sorry for the shit picture
>>
File: 20170722_190342.jpg (898KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170722_190342.jpg
898KB, 2048x1152px
>>1066000
>about $1 each
Nigger they're about half that
>>
>>1066031
>My Passion is:Skeet Shooting
L-Lewd...
>>
>>1066040
Ya bby. Skeet all day erryday.
>>
File: IMG_5924.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5924.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I ate me sum fish
>>
Truck is fixed and 3 new fly rods came in. Now I can go chase some specks.
>>1065976
That's what I do too. Hell, I wouldn't drive behind me when I'm hauling shit just cuz I know how uncertain even the most secure things can be.
>>1066015
Looks nice.
>>
>>1066107
8 pack for the 3" and 4" swing impacts.
>>
>>1066031
Gay

The larger ones are $7.99 for 6 or 8 or whatever is in that pack. Still, the plastic is soft and they seem to fall arpart easy.

Dude at Dick's was like "what are you doin in here without the Pepsi shirt?" since I'm normally at that one for work.
>>
>>1064668
I live in Florida, I see gators under our bridges.
>>
>>1066000
whopper ploppers are legit. jumping on that when i get new line tommorow
>>1066106
sweet. pretty fish too
>>
>>1066150
I had a whopper plopper from MTB but lost it like the 3rd cast. I've heard they are good but the window for topwater here seems so small that I just don't care.
>>
once i make some money should i buy a memecaster or fly fishing rod? whats more fun pls respons
>>
>>1066174
If you already have a spinning rod, the fly rod will be more fun (unless you decide you hate fly fishing).

If you have nothing (or worse, a spincaster), get the memecaster.
>>
>>1066177
i have a somewhat okay daiwa combo, its okay ideally i make a ton of $$$ at this job and get both, but im leaning towards the fly rod because i dig the aesthetic,

can you fly fish pretty much anywhere u can regular fish?

>Memefishing
>>
>>1066174
Fair warning with fly fishing that you may end up obsessed and end up with lIke 17 different rods eventually. You'll get a 4wt for trout and panfish then decide to get a 6wt to throw streamers for bigger trout and small bass, then you'll want an 8wt for largemouth bass and carp and for saltwater(if you live near or vacation near salt). Not to mention you'll probably snag a few extras like a cheap Cabelas 3 forks rod when it goes on sale to have a back up. Happens to all of us.
>>
>>1066179
>can you fly fish pretty much anywhere u can regular fish?
95%+ of the places, yeah.

>times you really can't fly fish
-when the targeted fish are super super deep (40+ feet), there's simply no good way to get the fly down that far even with a "fast sinking" line
-when you have no room to back-cast, such as heavily forested or very steep banks
>>
>>1066177
>>1066183
>>1066184
what is a good starter fly fish combo typea deal eh boyas

im bretty excited gonna go make sum shekels
>>
>>1066187
Cabelas Three Forks is really good and it's relatively inexpensive actually. When you've gotten some more skill with casting and everything you can simply use it as a back up rod and upgrade to something like a St. Croix Imperial.
>>
>>1066187
Also, talk to skid. He's much more knowledgeable about fly fishing than I. I have decent knowledge but he's our resident fly fishing expert in these threads.
>>
>>1066187
Cabela's 3 Forks is the cheapest combo I'd go with.

I personally have an Echo Solo rod paired with a Pflueger President fly reel. The rod was about $90, the reel was an additional $60.
>I do not recommend Pflueger anything, I'm now on my third in 2 years, the drag keeps shitting out and I've only had fish actually pull drag twice
>>
so i got skunked today catfishing. i thought pork liver would have been a good bait, but i didnt get any bites for 3 hours. For anyone that fishes for catfish what do you use.
>>
>>1066183
Happens to all fishermen.
Good thing I am poor else I would have a rod and reel for every situation imagineable. Even when I look in my tacklebox which I try to keep as simple as possible I am sure I could easily spare half of the lures in there...
>>
>>1066263
Cut croaker and and shrimp work wonders if your close to brackish waters. Never tried it in strictly freshwater, but I've good luck on shrimp before. Honestly any cut shad or baitfish would work. Just keep at it
>>
File: IMG_0058.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0058.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Pic from yesterday evening...
Life is good...
>>
>>1065612
Fly rod, a 6 or 7 weight should do you
>>1066106
Nice crappies
>>1066109
Post pics!
>>1066174
Fly rod, no contest
>>1066179
>can you fly fish pretty much anywhere u can regular fish?
If you have room to cast then yes
>>1066183
Yep. Ive got a 2 for panfish, 4 for trout, 6 for the do-it-all and an 8 for steelhead, bass, saltwater, carp, etc.
>>1066190
>expert
I would say autist os more accurate
>>1066193
>>1066189
These are correct. I personaly have never bought a leader, always tied my own (which honestly isnt hard) but you'll want some leaders and tippet material
>>1066263
I use more than one spot. Its a waste of time to soak a hair in one spot for 3 hours, after 20 minutes you have established the presence or absence of fish
>>
10 day backcountry fishing/camping trip in a few days

hyped as FUCK
>>
File: cloosers.jpg (72KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
cloosers.jpg
72KB, 720x1280px
>>1066370
i've got a trip to north carolina coming in a few days. kitty hawk here i come (some family memebers are going down there and they invited me to come along as a mooch)
if anyone around there wants to meet a real life autist, ill be there from the 29th to the 12th though 30tyh to 11th is better.
>pic related, the 34 clouser minnows i have tied for whatever will bite, im also going to tie some crease flies
>>
>>1066396
Skid.

None of the local crafts stores carry any form of chenille.

I'm out of olive wooly bugger chenille. Where do I get cheap olive wooly bugger chenille? I don't feel like paying $4 for 10 feet of it thru Orvis or similar.
>>
>>1066407
ill let you know if i figure something out. i've heard of people using the coloured pipe cleaners from walmart but ive got no experience with it.
>>
>>1066411
Well that would certainly take care of the wire wrap for weight anyway...

Right now with what I can find for materials I cannot tie a wooly bugger for cheaper than I can buy them.
>commercial #6 olive bead-head bugger is $0.63 shipped
vs
>$0.27 each for hooks
>$0.15-$0.17 each for hackle
>$0.04 each for marabou
>$0.12-$0.13 each for chenille
>$0.03-$0.04 each for copper/brass bead
>wire, thread, and nail polish too cheap to mention
>>
>>1066415
>$0.63 shipped
where are you getting them that cheap?"
also"
>fly tying to save money
top kek
>>
What's a good rig for going after 20+ pound carp and flatheads?
>>
>>1066407
Try Walmart's crafts section by the balls of yarn. The other stores can't undercut Walmart, so they don't even try.
>>
>>1066423
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D8YXBHE/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1500824891&sr=8-7-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=wooly+bugge

Dozen for $8
>>
File: 20170723_112503.jpg (693KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_112503.jpg
693KB, 2048x1152px
>>1066423
I'm assuming this is waaay too thick
>>
I currently have a 4'8" ultralight rod and a 6'6" medium/fast spinning rod.

What should I get next? A 7' med-heavy/fast casting rod for T-rigs, a 6'6" medium/fast casting rod for jerkbaits, or a 5'6" ultralight for panfish/trout?

I consider myself a multi-species angler with a focus on bass. I know, I know, my spinning rod should be a med-light. I'll get one later and sell off my current one. I digress. I fish a lot of plastics and jerkbaits, but I figure I need a better rod for panfish/trout.
>>
>>1066428
google "fish finder rig"
>>1066434
thats not bad
>>1066453
honestly for a size 6 it should be fine but it is a little thick. you could always use dubbing, ive seen that done.
>>
>>1066454
none of the above
get a 4 weight cabelas three forks/prestige plus fly combo, some 4x tippet, a smally fly assortment, and catch trout the right way.
>>
>>1066458
>some 4x tippet
and some 3x leaders*
>>
>>1066458
Skid, I aim to get into fly fishing at some point but not at the moment. I am a limited budget college student, fly fishing is too pricey for me right now
>>
>>1066456
At ten bux for 175 yards it would do a fuckload of buggers
>>
>>1066478
yeah, but factor in how many sharpies you would burn through if you wanted some olive or black buggers
>>
>>1066491
They had it in black and a forest green that was pretty bright. Would be an option there.

Still looking for a somewhat thinner olive chenille.
>>
File: 20170723_140607.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_140607.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>1066360
Excuse the shitty quality. St. Croix Imperial 4 and 6 and an Orvis Clearwater 8. Gonna try some clousers with the 8wt for speckled trout this week.
>>
>>1066396
You're gonna be in the OBX? That's a little out of my range but I might be able to swing it. I'm in Jacksonville/Camp Lejeune area.
>>
File: CAM00265.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00265.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Got skunked last 4 or 5 times i went out, ended that today with a small gut hooked lmb and ended up killing it accidentally. I just went home after that, feelsbadman. Pic unrelated
>>
File: Screenshot_20170723-120405.png (353KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170723-120405.png
353KB, 1080x1920px
Gonna buy a spinning combo, anybody use favorite rods? I really like this one, was thinking of buying it.
>>
>>1066562
>googan shilling
>>
I saw a black sunfish swimmin. Never saw one so dark looking. I believe its fin tips were a bit bright or green. Size was pretty small. Any ideas?
The whole day I watched other various sunfish checking out and occasionally nibbling my zoom worm.

I like when they hold on when I lift my rod and decide to let go once out of the water.
>>
What's even the point to chenille on buggers? I met a guy who just wrapped marabou around in replacement of hackle too.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Any one used these savage gear craws? I like em a lot.

>>1066174
I'm gonna be the odd one out and say memecaster. Fly fishing is fun and can be super productive, but it has a pretty good learning curve. I'd take a casting rod 90% of the time for bass.

If fly fishing is something that interest you, or you have trout, do that.

>>1066263
It's okay anon. My friend caught 4x as many fish as I did this weekend. Granted they were all dinks besides one massive panfish, but still fish.

>>1066454
MH for T rigs alllllll day.
>>
>>1065212

Snapping turtles are not territorial, especially when it comes to bigger animals like humans. They're faster in water and for every one you do "accidentally step on" there's hundreds that just swam away when they sensed a bigger clumsier animal headed their way.

Theyre more likely to stand their ground on land when they don't think they can get to water fast enough and they're basically bite or get eaten alive mode.
>>
Meppsâ„¢
>>
>>1066665
Dammit
>>
>>1066263

For catfish, the number one best all around bait is fresh (as in caught on the water) cut shad/herring followed closely by cut sunfish.

Catfish will try anything out, but after getting to be a couple pounds, they become pretty strict carnivores and mostly lie around cover or flats waiting to ambush schools of baitfish and snag the weaklings from below.

Bluecats tend towards shad while flathead/yellow cats like live sunfish, and channel cats will eat whatever.

Everything else is a distant second and even if it does work, you'll be catching the smaller fish on average.
>>
>>1066428

Hair rig baited with boilies for carp.

Fish finder, slip float rig, or Kentucky rig baited with live sunfish for flatheads.
>>
>>1066621

Bright fin tips means it was a Green Sunfish.
>>
>>1066494
again im going to say going for dubbing is worth considering. honestly if you go for something like antron you could probably cut out hackles too, just use a sparse dubbing loop and an open spiral wrap
>>
File: 20150811_134632.jpg (915KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20150811_134632.jpg
915KB, 2048x1350px
>>1066517
yeah, in kittyhawk, ill probably be spending a lot of time on the end of avalon pier king rigging, because it appeals to the autistic faggot in me, and works. got this 64 pound bullshark a few years ago, and hooked in to a big cobia doing it.
>inb4 fat/neckbeard/other insults
trust me, i already know
>>
>>1066684
I'm not good enough with dubbing to not make it look like a particularly moist hairball.

Gonna stick with chenille.
>>
Thinking about getting the "Topwater" Mojo Bass rod. It's 6'8" M X-Fast, and I was hoping to use it for topwater, jerkbaits, smaller squarebills (like 1.0 and 1.5), and weightless plastics. I don't know how important action is, but X-Fast seems like it'd be nice since it could give the plastics more action and use it to rip the squarebills through grass.
>>
>>1066705
>a particularly moist hairball
>implying a wooly bugger is not just a soaking wet hairball with a hook in it somewhere
>>
>>1066717
>x-fast
>crankbaits

Have fun ripping the bait out of fishes' mouths instead of settingthe hook. Same goes for the weightless plastics, unless you mean wacky rigged senkos
>>
>>1066718
kek, true.

My autism won't allow it tho.

>>1066717
St. Croix's idea of x-fast is what everyone else considers regular fast. Just FYI. Still good rods.

If you're fishing shit like spooks and squarebills with it it'd be fine. If you're throwing frogs into cover, medium might be a bit soft.
>>
>>1066730
>Same goes for the weightless plastics, unless you mean wacky rigged senkos

Wat. You want a softer tip for wacky rigging for the same reason as a crank.
>>
>>1066731
>My autism won't allow it tho
fair enough
i just tried one in the way i described and i dont like it either. im sure the fish will like it, but i would be ashamed to let anyone know i tied it. looks like it has potential for a leech pattern if i pick up some black dubbing though
>>
File: 20170723_163936.jpg (122KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_163936.jpg
122KB, 720x960px
Get on my fucking level guys
>>
>>1066747
i've done it desu
i've also gotten shad on the fly
like, gizzard shad, the filter feeders
>>
File: 20170709_193301-2241x3984.jpg (1MB, 2241x3984px) Image search: [Google]
20170709_193301-2241x3984.jpg
1MB, 2241x3984px
>>1066666
>>1066677
Checked, I swear I'm not even on 4chin no mores
>Speckled trout grilled
>Rufus Teague rub is the shit
>>
>>1066690
If I get any time out during the week I might make the drive. Got a lot of VA appointments and shit right now so who knows.
>>
>>1066758
fair enough, i want to give you my email so maybe we can chat off the board and see if we can set something up, but i also dont want to post my email on 4chan.
>>
File: IMG_3437.jpg (700KB, 1632x1150px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3437.jpg
700KB, 1632x1150px
nothing for about 5 hours
>>
File: IMG_3439.jpg (790KB, 1224x1530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3439.jpg
790KB, 1224x1530px
>>1066777
>>
>>1066749
Come back when you legit mouth-hook a shrimp.

I have legit mouth-hooked a shrimp. Not even a big one like a tiger shrimp.
>>
>>1066782
red, im assuming there are trout in t. if so, here is what i want you to do. i want you to grab your fly box, a 3x leader and 4x tippet, some strike indicators, and your 4 weight. go to that spot, and see where that drop off is? i want you to tie on a beadhead nymph, and then put a strike indicator 1.5x higher than the water is deep. cast there, and dead drift over it. then take your indicator off, and see where that stream dumps in to the river? i want you to put some splitshot on your line, and high stick there. i want you to do the same at the back end of the pool.
if there are no trout in there, grab your heaviest fly rod, some clouser minnows, and strong tippet, and fish every inch of that hole.
>>
>>1066789
im not red. i dont own a fly rod. thats two rivers meeting, the one is just low right now.

the spot i was at in the morning had a few jumpers but no bites, that was a solid 20 miles south. no action at that spot.
>>
>>1066791
oh thought i saw a trip for some reason. eithe rway, go get a fly rod and fish it.
>>
File: 20170723_190717-756x1008.jpg (122KB, 756x1008px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_190717-756x1008.jpg
122KB, 756x1008px
Got 4 today.

Rooster tail confirmed for good.
>>
Tell me about your tackle boxes, fish-men. Not what's in them - the boxes themselves. Anyone use those classic metal boxes with the swinging shelves? Are those still being made?
>>
File: 22-100-0041.jpg (799KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
22-100-0041.jpg
799KB, 1920x1280px
>>1066832
I use double sided mini Plano cases. They fit everything you need for panfish.
>>
>>1066832
>metal boxes
Haven't been made since the late 70's, early 80's.
>swinging shelves
Plano and Flambeau still make them. They still work. Pull-out trays in a soft bag work better because everything doesn't end up in a jumbled heap the first time you knock it over.

I use an Ugly Stik GX2 bag I got for like $12 between employee discount and sale at Dick's. Holds 4, 3700 sized tackle trays plus either a bait binder or a 3600 tray in the front pocket, plus has two end pockets. Has held up to about 5 years of moderate use just fine.
>tfw it's the only Ugly Stik product worth half a shit

>>1066836
>they fit everything you need for panfish
So does one pants pocket.
>>
>>1066839
>So does one pants pocket.

>hooks
>fabric
??????????????????
>>
>>1066749
>>1066787
Sweet pictures guys, good to see this actually happened.
>>
>>1066844
...do you not keep your hooks in their factory resealable bags so you don't end up with a jumbled mess in the corner of your tackle box or something?

>>1066849
srs tho, I caught the shrimp before the advent of digital cameras. Was either 1988 or 1989.
>>
>>1066832
I use the Ozark Trail tackle bags. They're cheap and come with Plano like boxes.
>>
>>1066852
That don't make no goddang sense
>>
File: 20170619_041414.jpg (450KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20170619_041414.jpg
450KB, 1280x960px
>>1066832
A Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II full of Plano boxes.
>>
>>1066859
You carry that fishing regulations guide around just so that you can show it to people you see in the field who think are breaking a law, don't you.
>>
>>1066869
I flash it at Mexicans who are in my fishing spot and tell them I'll call the DNR on their undersized fish if they don't leave. They also likely don't have a license, so it works out.
>>
>>1066832
cheap amazon or cabelas fly boxes, or a backpack stuffed with plano boxes
>>1066849
i cant find the picture at the moment
>>
>>1066874
Good man.
>>
How many times have you guys been checked by a ranger?

Once for me
>>
>>1066882
In the ~20 years I've been doing it as anything other than a a little kid following behind my dad, maybe 15 times.

10 of which were this year. My state's really cracking down on unlicensed fishermen, since apparently they account for 90% of all the other violations as well.

Fucking bosnians.
>>
>>1066886
State?
>>
>>1066882
something like 3 times
>>
>>1066882
Never once, but I also live somewhere that's 90+% white and somewhat rural. The only problem the DNR is concerned with really is water quality, mainly from agricultural run-off. There hasn't been any issues with over-fishing or fishermen damaging waters, so they've had no reason to crack down. Usually if there's an issue it's drinking and boating.
>>
>>1066887
MO
>>
>>1066882
Fishing for about a year now. Not once. Although a sheriff asked me if I saw some guys he was looking around for.
And cops just asked "catch anything" but I happened to just arrive at the river.

I don't fish my state's more popular waters however.
>>
>>1066882
Once. I could've avoided it, but he was busting someone where I wanted to fish. I just parked and had my license out as I walked past him. He was nice.

They started showing up a lot after this Memorial Day. I bet they got a lot of people.

I fish in a lot of places that are a pain in the ass to get to, so it's pretty unlikely they'd go out of their way to talk to me.
>>
>>1066882
Twice
>>
>>1066882
Never
>>
>>1066882
Haven't yet, but as much as I fish I know it's coming.
>>
>>1067102
It's funny because even with my 0/5000 record, it's still cheaper buying the fishing license every year than getting that one ticket and losing my gear.
>>
>>1067161
Really is. I've had my lifetime sportsman license since I was 7 and I've never been stopped before ever. Only time anyone checks is when I'm out on the boat but that's only happened maybe 3 times in my life
>>
>>1067161
I have never heard of them taking your gear or at least they don't do that in my state.
>>
>>1067165
They probably won't if you're just C&R without a license, but they legally can.
>>
Any recs on good but not overpriced long sleeve fishing shirts? Plz no cheap pack of 100 whatevers that don't last.
>>
>>1067264
Have you tried long sleeve cotton shirts? Idk how hot it is in your area.
You can always wet the shirt which cools you down incredibly well. (Basically why you sweat)
>>
>>1067264
>button up
Field and Stream (Dick's storebrand) or Habit (I've seen them at both Cabela's and Sam's Club).
>tee-shirt style
Field and Stream, they're $20, straight polyester. Last a good while. Otherwise try to find Huk or Columbia on sale.

I've fallen in love with Huk's quarter-zip tab collared LS fishing shirts. Here's hoping they last as well as I think they will since they're $55 each.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 211x191px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 211x191px
>>1066882
Not even once.
>>
File: image.jpg (970KB, 3864x2127px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
970KB, 3864x2127px
>>1067264
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoorsâ„¢-mens-laguna-madre-solid-long-sleeve-fishing-shirt#repChildCatid=3886653

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoorsâ„¢-mens-casting-crew-moisture-management-long-sleeve-t-shirt#repChildCatid=3752611
>>
>>1067285
get any saltwater fish on fly?
>>
File: Capture.png (52KB, 430x192px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
52KB, 430x192px
What's a really good shadrap color for this time of the year?
>>
about one every 50 casts i have a hard time turning my reel handle on my memecaster

generally by the time i get my lure back in it seems to be fine. im not snagged up or twisted on the rod.

what could be going on?
>>
>>1067301
Silver w/ black back.
>>
>>1067340
CAN CONFIRM
>>
I tried fly fishing for sunnies beneath the spillway of a pond today. After rainfall. Creek was high and stained. Yet I put flies where I knew there were good holes. Any tips? I think I had one bite and it was at the surface.
>>
>>1066832
Cabelas sling pack, two large orvis fly boxes, and a couple of small cheap Cabelas fly boxes. Other than that I have a few Plano boxes and a bigger box from Walmart that I put them in.
>>
>go to a pond that acts as a reservoir for a creek channel so it doesn't flood
>shit loads of reeds and over grown weeds
>figure frog is the best thing to use from what I brought
>bank of the pond is covered in scum
>figure there's probably nothing in it since it's like 6" deep and mostly scum
>burning frog across it
>something jumps, but misses
>oh fuck
>pitch frog to where the jump was
>the instant frog hits the water something takes it
>try to set hook
>too much slack nothing happens
>take out slack and try to set hook
>frog just flies out of pond
>can't catch anything and give up about 20mins after that since I have to be somewhere
Did I fuck up or was it probably just a larger aggressive panfish?

>capatcha: Fishing Alto
>>
>>1067396
Prob a bass. You didn't fuck up tho; you had somewhere to be.

But now you know for next time-THAT works THERE.
>>
>>1067365
bluegill can be surprisingly hard to get on fly.
i'd say try swinging soft hackles or using foam dries
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2303x4096px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2303x4096px
>First cast

>>1067288
No lol. I have a hard enough time as it is getting saltwater fish in general.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1067535
I thought I felt a bite, but I wasn't sure. So I reeled in a little bit and didn't feel anything, but then my line moved. Set the hook and knew I gut hooked him by the way he was fighting.

I nicked one of his gills, but it didn't look too bad. Managed to get the hook out without causing more damage and he swam away okay, so hopefully he'll be fine. (He probably won't, but I'm gonna choose to believe he will so I don't feel as bad.)
>>
>>1067535
>I have a hard enough time as it is getting saltwater fish in general.
literally just sit out there blind casting a clouser minnow for a day, youll get a bite sooner or later
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1067538
And I caught this little guy. I hooked one with this lure that was about the size of the other two, but he shook the hook when jumped. Pretty decent hour and a half of fishin.
>>
>>1067545
I got a guy putting me on some false albacore on fly around October out here in NC. I'm looking forward to that party.
>>
>>1067569
that will be a lot of fun
just be honest with him about your skill level and ask questions
>>
>>1067545
That's what I did last time and I think I got one bite, but obviously didn't hook anything lol. I would do that until I saw a fish,casted to it, then got frustrated cause the fly would land close to it, but not right on its nose. So I would switch over to conventional tackle to actually be able to where I wanted to.
>>
Hey /out/
I've only ever been fishing once and I liked it. Caught a tiny bait fish after three hours.
I was wondering if anyone can give me a run down on how to catch largemouth bass?
Lures, baits, hooks etc.
>>
>>1067572
Oh yeah. He's a friend of a friend(who essentially taught me how to fly fish). I'm going there both to learn and have a good time.
>>
>>1067503
I mean this place was stained.

I came before when water was clearer and managed to get enough fish. Not one with stained water however.
>>
>>1067574
It's really comes down to where you're fishing. So much advice that all matters to what water it is
Any bass lure will get a bass, but get a smaller one as it won't limit you from catching smaller bass.
>>
>>1067580
Funny you mention that. There's this small pond I like to go to catch bluegill that's usually semi clear. This one time the water was stained and I thought I was gonna have a bad day. I tied on a small popper (from the pack you can get at Wal-Mart) and ended up catching 8-9 of them within a short amount of time.
>>
>>1067580
Foam dries and poppers. Get something that makes a noticeable "pop" on the water when it's murkier.
>>
>>1067573
>the fly would land close to it, but not right on its nose
you need to practice then. fly fishing for carp is great practice for that, and given that you have an 8 weight now, which is perfect.
>>1067575
hella
>>1067580
then definately poppers or other big, noisy dries.
>>
>>1067591
I'm 80% sure if I would've shortened the leader it would've helped a lot. The wind was being pretty shitty to me.
>>
>>1067591
>>1067597
Not that I don't need practice, but it was only when the fly was rolling over. The mainline was right where it needed to be.
>>
>>1067597
>>1067599
how long was your leader? and yeah, the fly turning over is usually when it all goes wrong
>>
>>1067604
12ft
>>
>>1067582
If it's texas, hot, brown water what kind of direction should I go?
>>
>>1067608
yeah, i would have cut that down to 7-9 feet depending on water depth
>>
>>1067608
Jesus. Gonna second Skid here. I fish 5-7ft leaders for everything but carp and trout, and rarely ever go longer than 9.

Hell I don't even use an actual leader for panfish or bass, just straight Trilene XL.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 1024x576px
>>1067611
Zoom trick worm in Junebug with a 3/0 or 4/0 wide gap or extra wide gap hook. Use bullet weights anywhere from 1/8oz-3/8oz. Bounce it along the bottom by trees, grass lines, or anything the bass could be hiding in.

If you're going in the morning a squarebill crankbait could do well. Look for something like pic related for a topwater too.

That'll have you covered for the bottom, middle, and top of the water column. But if you see a lure that looks like it'll catch fish don't be afraid to try it out. Same with colors. If you really like a color use that. Lizards, craws, and baitfish imitators all work really well.
>>
>>1067629
i tie leaders out of zebco omniflex because its cheap and its stiff so it turns over flies amazingly. ill tie a 5-7 foot leader for panfish, bass, pike, etc then for carp and trout a 9-10 foot leader, and, very rarely, ill do a leader in the 15 foot range for euro nymphing
>>
>>1067634
I really need to start tying my own leaders.

Out of curiosity, do you have a tippet preference? That's another thing I'll use straight mono for (again either Trilene XL or Berkeley Solutions) on occasion, namely panfish. Although for everything else I use SA tippet.
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 750x536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 750x536px
>>1067625
>>1067629
It was actually 10ft, I misremembered. I was excited to use my fly rod, so I just put that leader on and started fishing. I didn't think to cut it down until after I had left the coast. I'm gonna remember for next time though.

Might be going again in about a month, and I'll have a kayak and canals, so if I can't catch one then I'm just gonna give up kek.
>>
>>1067637
honestly, its all almost the same to me. i just use cabelas brand tippet material, and what really sells it to me, is that it is ever so slightly olive. you cant see it just by looking at the line, but in a knot you can see it, so if im looking at a leader, i just look at the last knot and if its got green in it, i already have tippet on there. though i also like rio tippet, i usually prefer the cabelas tippet because it pleases my autism to use slightly off-colour tippet in slightly off-colour water, which is about all that is around me. im sure in reality it makes exactly no difference.
>>
Fishing line poll!
>which type of line do you use most?
http://www.strawpoll.me/13526264/r
>which mono do you prefer?
http://www.strawpoll.me/13526257

Feel free to post favorites.
>>
>>1067638
>Might be going again in about a month
then you have a month to practice casting. legit, take a fly rod with you every time you go fishing, and spend just 15 20 minutes fishing a fly, and then, that will total up to a solid couple more hours of fly fishing experience. but dont just phone it in blind casting, set targets for yourself and try to land the fly there.
>>
>>1067279
Is it the same person who keeps using all of these furry telegram stickers? Why is this happening? Who are you?
>>
>>1067668
well i like it
>>
File: facebook_1500952512108.jpg (98KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
facebook_1500952512108.jpg
98KB, 1280x960px
I wanna buy this boat for fishing, it's be my first boat ever what do you guys think? They are selling it with oars, straps and a trailer for $500. I was thinking this would be cool for 2 people, the lakes out here are very calm and not many people
>>
Is redfish, speckled """""trout"""", and gaftop the only thing you saltniggers catch? Jesus christ freshwater fishing has way more variety than everything I've seen about salt fishing
>>
>>1067707
Redfish, black drum, sting ray, sheepshead, sand trout, speckled trout, flounder, hardhead, gafftop, black tip shark, lady fish, and a crab. All caught in the same area on the same trip.
>>
File: 183793358.jpg (38KB, 408x612px) Image search: [Google]
183793358.jpg
38KB, 408x612px
Cunt pikes keep snapping my fluorocarbon drop shot rig when i try to fish perch. Do i need to overkill my leader with much thicker line or use wire? Does it affect how easily shy fish notice there is something wrong with the bait?
>>
>>1067701
Where's the mast, rudder, centerboard and sail?
That IS a sailboat, and those things are necessary to use the fucker. You'll have to pay $500 or more to replace most of that stuff, so you might as well use that info as bargaining leverage on the front end.
>>
>>1067753
>>1067701
Also, protip: think about what you'll need to turn the fucker around quickly, even if you never do. Remember this: the two happiest days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. You want to make those two days as pain free as possible.

Sailboats NEVER fucking sell, ESPECIALLY if they're missing parts like that one is. The last thing you need is to be taking on someone else's $1200 repair bill.
Go look up the make and model of the boat, see what it looks like with all its bits, find out its real value on the market, and what it would cost to get that stuff made or replaced and the beautiful wooden bits (sails are EXPENSIVE, and there's a reason small boats nowadays are made of fiberglass and aluminum) sanded and repainted, then come back at the seller with a price of your own.
You could probably buy a new boat with what it will cost to get this old one the way it needs to be in order to sell quickly.
I FUCKING LOVE sailboats, but this one could be a nice looking dog. If they have the parts it's worth it. If they don't, there's more value in the trailer it rides on.
>>
do pool noodles get slippery when wet?

I don't want my kayak to fly off if it starts raining
>>
>>1067707
>>1067707
>snook
>tarpon
>bluefish
>cobia
>pompano
>jack crevalle

how on earth can you believe lakes and golf course ponds have a greater variety of fish than the entire fucking ocean?
>>
>>1067574
As for gear, start out with a 6'6" medium power fast action spinning rod. A good start is a Fenwick Eagle and Pflueger President. It'll last you years, but will set you back about $120.

For tackle, use 8 pound test monofilament to start as far as line goes. Get some offset round bend hooks in size "3/0" and some cone shaped worm/bullet weights in 1/8 oz.

For lures, you'll need 3 for right now. A stick bait, a creature bait, and a minnow imitation. I like Zoom Finesse Worms, Zoom Baby Brush Hogs, and Zoom Super Flukes. Colors will depend on forage/water clarity in your area. Green, Brown, White, Black will work in any body of water.

Later on you'll want to get more. Not that you need to, but because you got addicted and can't stop. Good luck anon
>>
>>1067689
I'm not a furry but oddly enough I agree. Those cat stickers are bretty cute. Source?
>>
>>1067707
Even a hard head wouldn't take this bait
>>
>>1066832

I use a tackle binder since I mostly fish live bait. I've found it better for holding my hooks and pre-tied leaders than any kind of tackle box.

I do have a couple compartment boxes with a handful of lures for salt-water and dink bass fishing though.
>>
>>1067741
>Redfish, black drum, sting ray, sheepshead, sand trout, speckled trout, flounder, hardhead, gafftop, black tip shark, lady fish, and a crab. All caught in the same area on the same trip.

And that doesn't count all the pinfish, croaker, whiting, frogfish, triggerfish, mangrove snapper, puffer fish, pampano, squid, and whatever else random shit is in the ocean that you've never seen before.
>>
>>1067824
Ohh I forgot about the croaker I caught on that trip.
>>
>>1067824
Saltwater fish are really colorful and pretty too. With some exceptions like brook trout, most freshwater fish don't have striking colors.
>>
>>1067830
brown and cutthroat trout get some good colour, as do pumpkinseeds, and long ear sunfish. but by far the saltwater fish look way better
>>
>>1067312
anyone have any idea?
>>
>>1067301
G H O S T M I N N O W
>>
>>1067805
They're stickers for telegram made by nowandlater. Their Twitter is @nldraws.
>>
>>1065072
>>1065088

same, my brain is fucked
>>
>>1067774
No, you'll be fine. Just tie the kayak down well and check it every hour or so if you're that concerned.
>>
File: 64031146.png (31KB, 300x162px) Image search: [Google]
64031146.png
31KB, 300x162px
>>1067707
>only fishing in the southeast coast
>>
File: 20170723_185855-756x1008.jpg (393KB, 756x1008px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_185855-756x1008.jpg
393KB, 756x1008px
How cute is this little shit. Smaller than the palm of my hand.
>>
>>1067918

Perfect bait size.
>>
>>1067774
You don't use the pool noodles to hold it to your car. That's what the tie down straps are for.
You use the pool noodles so that your car's paint doesn't get wrecked by the canoe vibrating and wiggling a little bit in the air while you're driving with it on your roof.

>>1067797
It's not the variety. It's the accessibility.
Most people here don't live on the coast and/or don't own boats.
Goddamn.
After all, it's hard to catch sailfish off of a pier when they're cruising along in the deep water 20 miles away.
>>
>>1067919
Ive never caught anything on live or dead fish in my life
>>
>>1067924
then you're doing something wrong
>>
>>1067926
I fucking hate turtles they're worst than crabs in my opinion.
>>
>>1067930
Almost caught one yesterday. I was going to kill and eat the fucker.
I got it within 5 feet of the shore when it popped off the hook of my little rooster tail.
Fuck turtles.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 960x540px
>>1067920
>After all, it's hard to catch sailfish off of a pier when they're cruising along in the deep water 20 miles away.

See pic related, I literally watched him catch this fucker in person. He released it off the shore since he didn't want to drop it from the pier in a net since it'll get tangled. People have even gotten baby Goliath groupers at Juno pier.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I wonder if these afternoon FL thunderstorms help with fishin. It normally cools off a couple degrees when they hit, but I don't think they really come with a pressure change.
>>
>>1067937
>caught in an area where the Gulf Stream is within 1/4 mile of the beach

Not saying there aren't times and places where it happens, just that usually it's a rare enough occurrence that the man could get his name in the paper for doing that if he wanted to.
As it is, it was a rare enough occurrence TO YOU that you took a picture of it, thus proving my point.
>>
You have been given an opportunity by your state to make and enforce a single law pertaining to fishing. What would it be?
>>
>>1067951
Those who fish with ugly stiks be killed
>>
>>1067953
eat shit, tripfag.
>>
>>1067948
I didn't take that picture but I did see him catch it in person. There are still tons of really neat yet commonly caught fish that you can get from a saltwater pier. If you really want to catch as many different saltwater species as possible all you have to do is put a tiny piece of shrimp on a #8 hook with a sinker. You're almost guaranteed to catch all sorts of interesting fish.
>>
New bread comin? I got one baking
>>
File: 1500993526382.jpg (91KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1500993526382.jpg
91KB, 600x600px
>>1067965
>>1067965
>>1067965
>>1067965
>>
>>1067951
If you litter you get a finger cut off.

More realistically id just want them to have more game wardens to enforce poaching laws.
>>
>>1067961
I already had that one made. Next will be anime roasties. Furfaggotry is against the rules and cunts always report it
>>
>>1067953
Grew up down there and did that as a kid. I never caught shit.
Maybe if you do that every day for a month you'll get a lot different fish accumulated, but mostly it'll be a couple of species. And that's no different than freshwater fishing with bait in a river, where your chunk of bait can land you any one of a number of bass, panfish, catfish, gar, bowfin, or whatever, but mostly bass and panfish.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.