[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 58

File: 1497113943233.jpg (141KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1497113943233.jpg
141KB, 600x800px
#166-"Dead Head" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1032766

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Split tail flukes are gr8 for flippin. I also think this lake is about to go to shit I've been seeing a lot of floating fish and it's smelled really fishy lately. I blame the carp.

>>1035285
Why do women feel the need to pierce everything
>>
>>1035297
to generate more dick traffic
>>
File: image.jpg (242KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242KB, 640x1136px
>>1035299
If anything I would think they would hurt the dick traffic... Ears, nose, and belly are okay, but anything else is kind of a turn off tbqhfam
>>
>>1035297
Same reason homos and millennials do: they're phallus substitutes.

Went fishing at my normal county park today. I was all fucked up, left my best performing plastics at home and ran out of drop shot hooks so had to use 2/0 circle hooks. Still ended up with a dink bass and a very unhealthy channel cat. Seriously, it was literally rotting while it was still alive, educated guess is its got a treble hook in its gut.

Also retrieved nearly $40 of other people's tackle, including a bulk pack of 3/0 Gamakatsu EWGs and a fistful of like 39/0 snap swivels. Seriously they're just a tad too small to use on a snap stringer, but have the barrel swivel and shit on them. I might use them to make a trotline.
>>
How do I keep a big fish on the end of my line? Three times yesterday I hooked big fish, would be reeling in put they were pulling drag, so I'd let them run with it a bit, I'd start to reel again and nothing. Like they got off the end of the line. What gives?
>>
>>1035310
make sure youre setting your hooks hard enough, using hooks that are big enough, and keeping pressure
>>
Any tips for a beginner? Any good youtube channels? How do I know how deep my fucking bait needs to be?
>>
Oops, just posted this in the old thread.

What line capacity and max drag should I be targeting for reel to go with a 6'6" light action rod that says it's for 2-8lb test line?

I'll be running braided 6lb or 8lb and fishing mostly for trout and panfish, but with the possibility of hooking into the occasional bass or other fish that might be lurking in lakes in the Western US?

I'm looking at two sizes of the same reel, and trying to stay fairly light and compact. Here's the manufacturers stats on each.

>MONO: 4/145, 6/110, 8/75 8.8lb Max Drag
>MONO: 6/240, 8/165, 10/115 15.4lb Max Drag
>>
>>1035310
You have to keep some pressure on the fish or they'll spit the hook. Make sure you're getting solid hook sets, and use circle hooks as much as possible (better hookup ratios and location which makes them harder to spit).
>>
File: 1495816218254.jpg (14KB, 341x263px) Image search: [Google]
1495816218254.jpg
14KB, 341x263px
What I don't get about fishing is, how can you even fish for one specific one? Like when I wanna catch eel. Doesn't ANY other fucking fish out there eat worms too?
>>
>>1035319
I'd go for the smaller reel, it'll balance better. There's no need for a reel capable more than about 6lbs of drag for trout and panfish, and you should keep it set at or under half your line weight.
>>
File: 20170605_080222.jpg (604KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170605_080222.jpg
604KB, 2048x1152px
>>1035322
Thats one of the great things about fishing. Even if you're trying to target a specific species its a crapshoot what you'll actually catch.

Sunfish are notorious for trying to eat things way too big for them, pic related.
>>
>>1035319
go for the small reel, and bear in mind your drag is usually only going to be 30%-60% of the breaking strength of your main line, so if you are running 6 pound test, youll only use 4 pounds of drag
>>1035322
you do your best to target that fish, but if that fish isnt around you adapt. yesterday i went out for carp and wound up fishing for white bass
>>
would any oil and grease be okay for maintaining my reels?

any brand recommendations?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I was at Dick's yesterday and had a bunch of Rapalas in my basket but then saw this pair of shoes on clearance and bought them instead because I need a new pair of running shoes.

>>1035339
Anything. Grease for gears, oil for bearings.

>>1035301
I'm against nose. It's like tats. Ears (no more than 2 per ear) and belly button. More than that and it's a proven fact that she's a psycho bitch.
>>
>>1035319
Go smaller. I'd go even smaller than the ones you posted. You'll never need that much line for bass and panfish and there's no reason to have drag higher than your lines breaking strength, but there's no reason you can't use that reel if you're dead set on it.

>>1035342
Meh I think a little stud in the nose can be cute. The crazy ones are the fun ones though.
>>
File: 14971262456641997367704.jpg (626KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
14971262456641997367704.jpg
626KB, 2048x1152px
So I've got this old filet knife. It was my grandpas.

Love the ergos on it, but its pretty shit generic stainless and gets dull super fast.

Can anyone recommend a really good filet knife appropriate for trout and panfish?
>>
For someone who has had their hand cut open multiple times, is there a specific way to hold fish? Should I pussy out and buy lip holders/fish pliers or gloves instead?
>>
>>1035350
ive always just used an old hickory slicing knife, i think its the 705 or the 1205
>>
>>1035322
>how can you even fish for one specific one?

Because different species of fish have different preferences when it comes to what kind of water they live in, when/where/how they feed, and what exactly they feed on.

Yes, everything can potentially eat worms, but if you put a piece of nightcrawler on the end of a size 1 hook and run it on a fish finder rig in 20ft of water, you're not going to catch much else other than catfish and other bottom feeders.

Take that same worm and put it on a size 8 hook a foot under a float and toss it near a submerged brush pile or under a pier and you'll be catching pretty much nothing but panfish.

And if you're bass fishing using larger lures, you'll rarely catch anything other than bass.

I mean, yeah you *can* catch other fish, but it's not usually common enough an issue that it really gets in the way.

Except for saltwater fishing. Fucking everything that eats anything will strike your bait at one point or another, especially if you use anything that resembles shrimp or cut bait and if you happen upon a school of Hardheads/Pinfish/Croakers/Sand Trout, then lord help you in catching anything else.
>>
>>1035354
If you're catching things with actual teeth, yes get a lipper.

Otherwise, dunno what you're doing wrong. I get poked by dorsal spines on occasion but Ive never been cut.
>>
I hate it when people come up to me while fishing and treat me like some weird stranger. Fishing isn't accepted here at all.
>>
>>1035354
>Should I pussy out and buy lip holders/fish pliers or gloves instead?

I got some fish grips and fucking love them. It's way easier to securely hold the fish even when they're flopping around like crazy, you don't get your hands all over it (removing the protective mucus covering), it gives you more room to safely remove the hook, and makes it easier to take nice pictures.

And it's 10x better if the fish is relatively big or has teeth/spines.
>>
>>1035355
>Old Hickory has a 1095 carbon steel filet knife
>MSRP is $19
Well, I'm sold. Thanks.
>>
Do all of you prefer spin fishing? I prefer looking at my fishing float at night for hours.
>>
>>1035312
>>1035320
I think I was setting it hard enough. Whatever it was, it went straight down to the bottom, and would thrash there. I couldn't pull in line but I didn't want to tighten my drag and have it snap off. Was using a 1/4 oz Dardevle with factory hooks but they seemed good quality
>>
>>1035368

I fish with live/cut bait 90% of the time.

I'm only starting to do more lure fishing that targets bass, redfish and speckled trout because I'm planning on getting into kayak tournaments where live bait isn't allowed.

That and my new work schedule leaves my entire afternoons free so I've been doing a little fishing between other things. Tossing a pre-rigged lure is faster and cleaner than buying/ catching bait.
>>
>>1035372

Hook up with treble hooks are always kind of iffy compared to multiple trebles- which are still iffy compared to a solid single hook.
>>
>>1035375
Eh, the 4 inch sunny that nailed it in 2" of water had no problem with it.

Jokes aside, I had no idea. Should I replace the treble hooks on my spoons with single hooks? Will it ruin the action?
>>
>>1035376
>Eh, the 4 inch sunny that nailed it in 2" of water had no problem with it.

Because a 4 inch sunfish is not a real test of a solid hook set the way a much larger head shaker that pulls drag is.
>>
>>1035367
youre welcome. just remember to store it in oil (i use crisco) while youre not using it or it will rust. i put a patina on mine, too. it was nice, and takes a shaving edge effortlessly
>>1035372
idk what to tell you. maybe it was a big angry snapping turtle and it never got a hook on its soft flesh? or maybe the hook ripped out?
>>
>>1035379
It was a joke

>>1035383
I'm thinking it was a real fucking big walleye or catfish. Both are in that body of water plus they went straight to the bottom. There were also marks on the spoon, which were either toothmarks or scratches from rocks. Either way I'm pissed and always worried that my drag isn't set tight enough but I don't want it to be too tight. How do I figure out the sweetspot on a spinning reel?
>>
File: IMG_4475.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4475.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>1035349
>the crazy ones are the fun ones
I know man, I know. But it sucks because it's so hard to find that balance between crazy and normal where she is interesting enough that you always have something to talk about but nice enough to let her meet your family.
>>
Just broke the bill off this guy by bouncing it off a dock. What's the /out/ recommended way to glue it back together? I know it probably will throw the balance of the lure off, but I hate to throw a brand new lure away.
>>
>>1035400
For how much those cost, I would send an email to the company and say it broke off when you were bouncing it along some rocks underwater. Tons of people have problems with those Baitballs being fragile, and for $17.99 each that is unacceptable.
>>
File: 1492795318567.jpg (34KB, 197x260px) Image search: [Google]
1492795318567.jpg
34KB, 197x260px
>deep fried eel
>>
>>1035402
is good mayne
>>
>>1035399
My buddy always dates the batshit crazy girls. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been stabbed by one of them yet.

>>1035400
Do what Bepis said
>>
>>1035401
>>1035407
Didn't realize they were known to be brittle. Definitely going to try contacting the company then. If they don't ask for the lure back might still try to jb weld it back together. Thanks guys.
>>
>>1035397
i'd say find a rock or log about 1/3 the breaking strain of your line, tie off to it, and set your drag so you can just barely move it
>>
>tfw you don't catch anything

At least it's nice being out in the water.
>>
>>1035400
I will never buy any of the baitball series.

I got 3 of them from the LT rep when they set up the display of them in my store as demo units and only 1 of the 3 ran true.

Very disappointed. Especially since I like a lot of their other lures and have never had a problem with them.
>>
>>1035297
>Why do women feel the need to pierce everything
people with no sense of identity try to make themselves speshul. tattoos are the same.
>>
What's the cheapest way to get on the water and not standing on the bank?
>>
>>1035528
Sevylor inflatable kayak, or getting lucky and finding a cheapo regular kayak used for under $100.

Neither are particularly smart options if you're trying to fish from them.
>>
>>1035530
Let me rephrase then. What's the cheapest way to get into the water that isn't inflatable and not a kayak?
>>
>>1035532
Small used jon boat, should be no more than $200 for a riveted aluminum one.

Benefit of those is even a wobbly person can stand up on one and it's easy to mount a trolling motor and/or a small gas outboard, and they still fit in the back of a truck and can be moved by 1 person.
>>
>>1035532

Rent a canoe at a park. Or buy a used canoe/john boat/plastic sun dolphin 2-man boat.
>>
>>1035536
>>1035537
Didn't even think about used ones. How would I go about looking for one? Ebay? Craigslist? Local tackle shops?
>>
>>1035540
Craigslist.

Do your research on titles in your state, 99% of the ones for sale won't have a title and some states it's either a real pain/expensive to re-title it, or outright impossible. In every state I'm aware of any boat that can or was designed to accept a gas motor/outboard needs to be titled and registered. This is the main reason kayaks have gotten so popular--they're exempt from that.

I'd do craigslist, shipping on a boat thru ebay is gonna be outrageous and the odds of finding one local are low. Also check out backpage and whatever your local newspaper is's classifieds
>>
>>1035540

Carigslist. Offer cash and be willing to pick it up the same day and they may be willing to part with it for a little bit less than asking price depending on how long the ad's been up. A good time to try is after summer, as people have gotten use out of their boats and tend to decide to sell them rather than put them up for storage over the winter months.
>>
>>1035532
i have seen an old dude just packing his stuff into a big bucket and standing in the water in his shorts. don't get cheaper than that i imagine.
>>
>>1035540
Even a new 10' Tracker riveted jon boat is only $470 MSRP
>http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3827
>>
>>1035553
I once waded in rugby shorts in the outerbanks In NC and tied a bucket around my waist. Worked out just fine. It was some hillbilly redneck shit but fuck it I was catching speckled trout and I was drunk as shit anyway.
>>
While im a fanatic about jigs, ive come to realize how fun it is to toss out weightless plastics. Do you guys prefer normal zoom flukes or the junior ones? What other lures do well?
>>
>>1035578
I have and use both, and it depends on the conditions and the lake.

I also use about a dozen different brands of paddle tail, either weightless or with a light keel-weighted hook (I like the 1/16oz VMC swimbait hooks).

I use Yum Break'n Shad and Zman Streakz for split tail as well as Zooms, and for paddle tail I'll use Keitech Swing Impact, Yum Pulses, and Havock Sick Fish (which work awesome when rigged right but are a REAL bitch to rig right).
>>
>>1035397
I just use line that is stronger than my drag so that I can not tighten the drag down more than my line and knots can handle.
>>
>>1035326
>>1035335
>>1035349

Thanks for the info guys. The smaller size I listed is actually the smallest size they make in that model reel, and I'm pretty set on it, so that's what I'll get. It's the Daiwa SS700. I know I'm probably a fag for buying a reel that was designed 20+ years ago when there are cheaper, lighter modern reels that probably perform just as well if not better. I'm a sucker though for that kind of proven track record and I like the simple, straight forward aesthetic. Looks like a piece of equipment, not a shitty sci-fi prop.
>>
>>1035476
And getting bit by Buffalo gnats. Bug spray doesn't seem to work.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>1035578
I like the full size ones for weightless/flippin type stuff and the small ones for trailers.
>>
File: 212t.jpg (174KB, 597x682px) Image search: [Google]
212t.jpg
174KB, 597x682px
>look at the pictures
>everyone is spin fishing
>>
File: seagal.png (202KB, 497x283px) Image search: [Google]
seagal.png
202KB, 497x283px
>>1035593
cant tell if this is a flyhead or a baitcaster
>>
File: a qt314.jpg (150KB, 865x595px) Image search: [Google]
a qt314.jpg
150KB, 865x595px
>>1035595
baitcaster
>>
File: 20170610_200204.jpg (916KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170610_200204.jpg
916KB, 1920x1080px
Had a good day. An aquaintence let me and my wife go play with our peddleboat on their little private lake in exchange for dropping a dead pine tree.
We loaded up. The only reason we kept the largemouths was that they were the ones hooked poorly and they would have had slim chances of surviving.
I had an awesome day.
>>
>>1035587
>I know I'm probably a fag for buying a reel that was designed 20+ years ago when there are cheaper, lighter modern reels that probably perform just as well if not better.

If that design did not work they would not be making and selling it still. Just look at Penn they have some new sexy reels but still produce and sell senators and squiders that use the same design from the 80's. Why do they do that? Because they work well for a decent price point and people know that.
>>
>>1035603

>If that design did not work they would not be making and selling it still.

My thoughts exactly.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1497145842327.jpg (106KB, 720x899px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1497145842327.jpg
106KB, 720x899px
What's the point of spearfishing? Is it just underwater LARPing? It just seems like an overly stressful and inefficient way to fish.
>>
>>1035630
I bet more than half of them were originally just divers before they got into fishing. You sort of prefer what you first interested you.
>>
>>1035553
Haha wet wading is always fun but it won't get me out to ten feet of water

>>1035593
I've been stubborn about spinning gear but my LTS has old used baitcasters for cheap and I'm thinking about picking one up and putting it on an old spincast rod of mine to try and learn to use a baitcaster
>>
>>1035633
I didn't consider that. I guess it would make the most sense if you spend a lot of time underwater you could just turn your next dive into a trip to get fresh seafood.
>>
>>1035650
try and learn to use a baitcaster

I am teaching my 11 year old sister how to use one. Her Christmas present this year is a Lews mach II. If you can not learn before January 1 2018 you are dumber at fishing than an 11 year old girl. There is your motivation anon.
>>
>>1035600
Damn those are some thicc bluegill
>>
>>1035630
Mainly that the people are gonna dive anyway because they're divers, and entry-level spearfishing gear costs less than a case of beer so why not.

Secondary part is they can target species that are difficult or impossible to get on hook and line.
>>
>>1035339
Yes. Anything works, even Vaseline. Fishing reels are very low-performance applications.
Anything that behaves like oil or grease and keeps water off of the metal parts is good enough.
Rule of thumb: if it rolls or moves fast, it gets oil. If it slides or moves slow, it gets grease.
>>
>>1035671
Will do. Should I spool it with braid and use a leader just like my spinning setup?
>>
>>1035716

I'd say so, I've been doing that for about a year now and don't want to go back to straight mono/flouro at all. Just use straight braid if you are fishing topwater or heavy vegetation.
>>
>>1035716
I really really like braid. 15 or 20lb braid on a memecaster casts very well, and when you do get a birdsnest it's easy and forgiving to pick out (compared to mono).

15lb braid is still thin enough to fish pretty much anything but very deep water finesse presentations without worrying about line float or fugging the action on things, ties well, and handles decently.
>>
>>1035376
Switching to singles won't ruin the action.
The spoon will still work the same way.
>>
>>1035716
Depending on what you are doing a leader is not necessary. Are you soaking baits or casting lures? Are you trying for bass or rigging for shark?

For basic lure fishing you will not need a leader just spool up with a good braid and you are set. If the fish and style you are going for require a leader then yes use a leader.
>>
>>1035400
Plain old superglue (CA) works great to repair those lips. Done it a few times, and it's always held.
>>
>>1035688
No idea which one of those neighbors stocks that bitch, but somebody bought me some nice fish.
We took like 20 over a half pound.
>>
File: FishinStuff.png (1MB, 1995x600px) Image search: [Google]
FishinStuff.png
1MB, 1995x600px
So I have a few question related to the items in Pic related. My granddad gave me an old tackle box with stuff in it a while back which I recently found again. Any info on what any of the numbered items are would be appreciated. Especially any ideas on what #9 was maybe for. I was wondering if you guys maybe had some ideas how i could mount the top 5 into like a deep picture frame, I want to get into fishing but i think some of granddads lures would be a nice memento to give back to him since he doesn't go fishing anymore.

There also any reason not to use my old youth rod? Its an atleast 12 year old shakespeare spinning reel thats like 4-5 feet long. Shaft says 6-12 lb line.
>>
>>1035744
1. Rapala F (probably 5) floating minnow. Still made, still catches fish.
2. Rapala F (probably 9) floating minnow
3. Rapala Shad Rap, not sure on size might be a 5.
4. A Lindy or clone of a Lindy lipless crank, designed for walleye
5. What looks to be the tail section off a Mepps min-o-spin
6. Fistful of various Mepps Aglia spinners
7. Either a Beetle Spin or a fabrication of one with a generic jighead and a clip-on spinner (literally hundreds of companies make the jigheads and a solid dozen + make the spinner arms)
8. Jigheads. Good design, brand's on the package.
9. trolling harness (crawler harness), looks to be a Lindy Rig or a clone thereof. Designed to hook a leech/nightcrawler on.
10. Old fish gripper. Probably Eagle Claw, although literally hundreds of companies made them like that.

Get a shadow box and some cardstock backer for it. Use mono or braid through the eyelet and the rear treble hook eyelet to tie it through holes in the cardstock backer so they sit level. Neat idea.

If the reel is in good repair there's no reason you can't use it, but the rod's pretty short to be of much use other than jigging off a dock or something. I still have and occasionally use my old Snoopy rod, which is only like 2.5 feet long. Still catches fish, just can't cast very far.
>>
>>1035744
>>1035760
#4 is actually probably a Lazy Ike now that I think about it.
>>
>>1035744
>>1035762
Correction on #3 as well. Wally Diver.
>>
>>1035760
>>1035762
>>1035766
Thanks! Appreciate the info. The cardstock and some line is a good idea. Ill have to buy new line for the rod anyways. Plus theyll still be usable afterwards which they wouldn't be if i just super glued them.

The first 2 are both made of balsa i think which is cool.

Thanks again!
>>
>>1035768
No problem! Your dad seems to have been a fairly avid walleye fisherman in years past.

And yes, the old Rapala F-series lures are balsa. I think even the current production ones are still as well.
>>
>>1035770
Yeah my grandads brother or cousin had a shack on Rice lake here in Ontario way way back. Theyed go up as a family and fish and drink. The guy was a nut. Bottles of beer on the way up. Piss in em while they kept driving. Im finishing up school in an area pretty good for fishing from the sounds of it and now im regretting not taking advantage of it. Guess ill catch 3 eyed fish out of the don river when i move back to Toronto.
>>
>>1035716
I use straight-up fluoro for baitcasters most of the time

15 lb test fluoro is pretty versatile so start with that
>>
>>1035350
I use a Rapala fillet knife from Walmart for trout. I think it's the 6-7" one.
>>
>>1035532
You can find old jon boats on the marketplace for less than $1K. But then you'd need a truck or possibly trailer to haul.

I bought a Kayak and it goes on the roof of my car. I have the FeelFree Lure 13.5. I've taken it to trout ponds, lakes, reservoirs, and the ocean twice. Thing is stable as a small jon boat and tracks very well. And it has a 500lb weight capacity so you can get all your gear on there plus room for a trolling motor if you're lazy.

I'd rather pay ~$1,000-1,500 for a good kayak than some old jon boat with possible rust and rivet leaks.
>>
>>1035820
Do you stand on your FeelFree 13.5?
>>
File: IMG_20170611_003325.jpg (447KB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_003325.jpg
447KB, 2400x3200px
Can I use rotten Chicken Liver as catfish bait? I had a jar of it and I opened it to freeze for tomorrow, and when I opened the lid, gas just shot out, I could actually feel it on my hand. I really don't feel like getting new liver and waiting for it to freeze, but it's better than not catching anything. So, can I use rotten liver?

Also a staff member at Bass Pro recommended freezing the liver, thawing it out a bit, then screwing it onto pic related, that is to keep the liver hooked, anybody heard of this?
>>
>>1035820

>I'd rather pay ~$1,000-1,500 for a good kayak

And I'd rather pay more than that to get a good kayak with a peddle drive that isn't slow as molasses.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (74KB, 475x721px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
74KB, 475x721px
>>1035593
i beg to differ
>>1035744
rapala, rapala, deep diving crank, not 100% sure but looks like another deep diving crank, incomplete inline spinner, mepps inline spinners, a panfish spinner, jig heads that look like they would work well for swimbaits, a walleye rig, and a tool for unhooking toothy critters like shark, musky, pike, etc
>>1035834
>freezing the liver, thawing it out a bit, then screwing it onto pic related, that is to keep the liver hooked, anybody heard of this?
never heard of that. here's what i do
>get panty hose
>use the toe first, but after that, tie a knot in the end
>cut it about an inch long
>stuff it with a chicken liver
>hook it on a 3/0 or 4/0 circle hook so that it holds the top of the pantyhose closed
>the bait is going no-where, bluegill can't pick it apart, and your hook is 100% exposed when the fish picks it up
>>
I hooked a guy with a spoon that had barbed treble hook on it yesterday.
>Fishing beside a bridge with lots of traffic
>don't enjoy listening to vehicles
>put on headphones and listen to a podcast
>don't hear or see dumbass walking behind me
>swing my rod back to cast and catch a human
>estimated weight 170lbs
>hooked on the forearm deep
>he was suprisingly calm
>Cut my line off and see if I can do anything.
>Guy just says he's going to the hospital
>walks away
>remember how much I paid for that spoon
>run and catch up to him
>ask if I can get my spoon back after its removed
>get phone number
>he called this morning
>going to meet up with him after work
>I'll get full measurements then
>>
>>1035883
Wow, nice.
>>
File: cormoran_easy_snap_2_1_1.jpg (18KB, 399x400px) Image search: [Google]
cormoran_easy_snap_2_1_1.jpg
18KB, 399x400px
What do I need to watch out for when buying them? I never figured out why I wouldn't just use a strong one. Is the size important?
>>
>>1035896
really the big thing is the quality of the swivel. if the swivel doesnt spin well you might as well just have a snap. and the reason you want to use the smallest reasonable one is because less tackle by the lure.
>>
File: IMG_1528.jpg (99KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1528.jpg
99KB, 640x1136px
>>1035896
If you don't need the swivel part, just get these fast snaps instead. They are stronger and smaller so less likely to mess with the action of lures.
>>
>>1035820
>I'd rather pay ~$1,000-1,500 for a good kayak than some old jon boat with possible rust and rivet leaks

Jonboats are made of aluminum. They don't rust-they literally can't. That's not what aluminum does.
And if a rivet-or even a whole line of them-leaks, you spend $4 on a tube of caulk seal it up and you're good for another 20 years.
Congratulations, you just saved $900 and got a much more capable vessel than a kayak too.
>>
File: IMG_5416.jpg (2MB, 3024x3218px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5416.jpg
2MB, 3024x3218px
Spent the past day in a half fishing this small lake with my buddy up north. Caught my first crappies finally. Kinda sucked though because as soon as I pulled a few up a gaggle of blacks swarmed all over us and started fishing 50 feet away. Shit pissed me off so bad. Apperntly they come from all over to fish here because it's pretty private and no DEC will ticket them for tacking every single fish they catch regardless of size. Funny thing was when I was talking to the people who own camps here they are all super racist as a result. My buddy's grandfather who's camp we stayed at was red pilling us during dinner on how we should still have slaves and shit (blacks slaves only though)
>>
File: IMG_20170611_074028057 (2).jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_074028057 (2).jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
This is probably stupid questions, but is this a trout? I'm pretty sure it is.

I live in a warmer climate where the creeks and rivers aren't that deep, so it never was cold enough for trout. But I fished at the tailwater of a dam this morning where the water was very cold and caught this.

If it is a trout

How do I properly hold it? I thought about lipping it like a bass, but wasn't sure if they had sharp teeth. And I was cautious about holding it because I didn't know if they had a sharp fin like a catfish.

Also, is it normal sized? Smaller?

Sorry, I have no experience with trout fishing.
>>
File: IMG_20170611_074107880.jpg (1019KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_074107880.jpg
1019KB, 2560x1440px
>>1035943
>>
Can you fish in any river in America without having to pay for it?
>>
>>1035946
You gotta have a fishing license to legally fish anywhere, although a lot of people don't buy one.

I don't think you can charge to fish in rivers, but you can ponds.
>>
>>1035948
Man, here in Germany I have to pay for everything. A day costs like 15.-€ and I'm only allowed to catch a certain amount of fish. Like 1 pike or zander per day.
>>
>>1035950
Well they still rack up. You also have set catching limits here.

And they make a lot of money of off charging for parking passes and docking passes. They charge for literally everything but fishing. And you only pay flat fee to the state for the ability to fish one year.

If caught without one, you get fined out the ass.
>>
>>1035951
I also have to pay for a fishing license here but it costs 45.-€ for 5 years, I think or 200.-€ for a lifetime.
>>
Is there a better soft plastic swimbait than Keitech Swing Impacts? I am crushing it on these lately. Even trout are tearing them up.

Only problem is they tear easy as shit.
>>
>>1035944
>>1035943
Yep. Trout.
>>
Is any of you in a fishing association? Is it any good? Do you meet many people there?
>>
>>1035955
I go fishing to get away from the normies.
>>
>>1035960
That's what I'm doing in my room.
>>
>>1035943
Yes trout.
Don't lip them they have a easily tearable mouth. No spikes.

Depends on your local size limit, I've been to spots with a 21 inch minimum for trout.
>>
File: 1480999225450.jpg (134KB, 764x764px) Image search: [Google]
1480999225450.jpg
134KB, 764x764px
I like to use crankbaits that are 1/4 - 1/2oz, so can someone rate my idea of my next set up?
7.1:1 baitcaster
7' Medium power Moderate action
>>
>>1035946
The rules are not so simple.
Generally the way the ownership shakes out along rivers or lakes is that the river-the water itself-is public property, while the riverBED and banks thereof are property that can be owned by private landowners.
The deeds of such properties are usually worded so that the property extends to the deepest point of said river or lake along the width of the property. So no matter if the water level goes up, down, or away entirely, the property owner still has the boundaries of his land fixed and clearly defined.

This is how boaters and rafters can travel rivers without getting arrested 1000 times a day as they go up and downstream. They're in the water, and the water is public. But a fisherman wading in the stream CAN be arrested for trespassing, because he's standing on the riverbed. And the riverbed IS owned-by the property holders on either side.
So if you're wading in a stream fishing behind some rich guy's house he can legally tell you to get off of his land, because technically you're on it by standing on the riverbed. Fish the same water in a boat or floating tube and you can tell him to fuck right off.

This is also why public access points are so fought over. If people can't get INTO the river, they can't fish it.
>>
File: yourimage (1).jpg (236KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
yourimage (1).jpg
236KB, 800x800px
This makes my penis become the big penis
>>
>>1035952
That's actually not bad. Resident license in my state is $16 for a year or anywhere from $300 to $650 for a lifetime license (gets cheaper as you get older in 5 year increments).

Most states will have license exemptions if you meet certain criteria though
>blind or have any of a short list of other severe vision issues
>wheelchair bound
>mentally handicapped
>over a certain age (my state's 65)
>under a certain age (my state's 15)
>active duty military living or stationed in the state
>disabled military with a VA disability rating over a certain amount (my state's 60%, some states are anywhere from 30% to 100%)
Even if you aren't required to have a fishing license you still need to buy special-case endorsements (trout stamp, Lake Michigan salmon stamp, etc).
>>
>>1035953
They're pretty fuggin good but what's best depends on where you are and what fish like.

Some days fish want Swing Impacts. Other days they want a Swimmin' Super Fluke. Yet other days they want a Ripple Shad.
>>
>>1035984
Decent ratio on the memecaster. I'd go mod-fast personally.
>>
Can I use rotten liver for catfish?
>>
>>1036004
I'm a poorfag and from what I've seen mod-fast rods looks to be all over $100
>>
>>1036005
See >>1035834
And >>1035868
>>
>>1036008
F&S Tec Spec Blue. On clearance in-store for $50. They say they're fast action but I'd say they're really a mod-fast.

Otherwise the Skeet Reese rods should be around $60, they're nowhere near as good as the Duckett Ghost cranking rods but $40 cheaper. They've got a mod-fast cranking specific rod.
>>
>>1035984
>>1036004

>tfw you still fish with 4:1 baitcasters and do just fine.
>>
>>1036014
Low geared memecasters still have their place. High ratios are a tradeoff, and mainly a QoL improvement over slower ones for small to medium sized fish like bass.
>>
>>1035986
This depends on state. In Texas your land goes to the high water mark (I'm not sure how they figure this out) so the landowner can't own the bottom.

So if I park on the side of the road and start wading down a creek I'm not trespassing as long as I stay in the creek.
>>
What soft plastics do you guys like for topwater? Toads? Tubes? Lizards? Creatures? Beavers? Flukes? Paddle tails?
>>
>>1036012
The Duckett Ghost offers a parabolic action, so what would that be comparable to?
>>
>>1036049

Parabolic is the same as moderate.
>>
>>1036042

Hollow body frogs.
>>
>>1035963
See, I used to spend a ton of time fishing in games like WoW and Runescape, but I just can't bring myself to play games anymore, so I decided to level up my fishing irl.
>>
>>1036012
What is a good meme caster to put on the F&S for max $100, but max $80 would be nicer?
>>
>>1036067
Lew's Speed Spool LFS if you're insisting on spending a decent amount of money.

I'm still in love with my Okuma Stratus V. Which can be had for $30 on sale and are normally $60. They're a Dick's/F&S exclusive. They do everything I need them to, although they have a middle of the road gear ratio (6.6:1).

Otherwise the ONE3 Origin A if you want a ridiculously high gear ratio (they have an 8.1:1 option). Right at $80 on Tackle Warehouse. I haven't used it myself but literally everything else by 13 Fishing I've touched is really nice.
>>
>>1036042
Hollow body frogs and wacky rigged floating worms.

I wouldn't really consider a weightless fluke/lizard/creature topwater since they do sink, although you can keep them near the surface pretty easily. I fish a lot of weightless flukes and paddle tails.
>>
>>1036054
>>1036079
See the thing about those is I can buy a 5 pack of Zoom Horny Toads for cheaper than a single hollow body frog
>>
>>1036087
The frogs I fish are $2-3 each and I rarely lose one.

I've fished Horny Toads before and you need to replace them every 2-3 fish, and frog hooks are fucking expensive ($1-3 each) so if you break off you're still out about the same money as a cheaper hollow-body frog.
>>
>>1036090
I was just going to use regular offset shank hooks. What brand do you buy?
>>
>>1036115
Had been using the Zoom frog hooks. Currently using Lunkerhunt and Jawbone hollow frogs.

I've never tried a regular offset hook, always afraid I'd miss too many hooksets.
>>
>>1036121
Ah. Jawbone. Are they good quality? And a side note, I missed quite a few hooksets with EWG hooks but not straight shank offsets
>>
>>1036073
I like okuma too, but it feels sorta cheap to me. Can't beat it for $30 though.

>>1036121
I use regular EWG hooks with horny toads and probably have a better hookup ratio than with hollow body frogs.
>>
>>1036124
The 3D eyes fall off pretty easy, but for $2 even each on sale ($2.99 normally) they last well and the hooks are sharp.

Generally as a poorfag-special brand I've been pretty impressed with them. I use a LOT of their squarebills and lipless cranks. I'm not positive but I'm ~80% sure they're made by Strike King for Dick's. I've never had one of their cranks not run true (something I can't say for Yo-Zuri and Matzuo) and their panfish plastics are pretty standard panfish plastics.
>yes I work for Dick's, that 25% employee discount on fishing shit is noice
Their fishing shirts are pretty okay too.
>>1036125
IMO the Stratus V's are the single best sub-$100 baitcaster made. They shit all over Abu Silver Max's and Quantum Escalades, and other than the difference in gear ratio they compete with the Speed Spool LFS's. They're definitely better than the American Heros.

I'll have to give the EWG's a try. I've got a couple packs of horny toads left.
>>
>>1036130
Will have to give them a shot if they're $3 and high quality. I see the cranks usually go on sale for cheap, too.
>>
for anyone whos been considering trying a pair of nice sunglasses, dicks sporting goods has some pretty decent deals on oakleys right now, %20 off, + a bunch of money back in store, + another way to save $10
possibility to get $200 sunglasses for $150 +45 store credit
>>
>>1036087
>>1036090
streight up, buy a pack of zman frogs , with some GOOD screw lock hooks
ive had one last 40-50 fish easily
>>
File: 20170611_145030.jpg (222KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_145030.jpg
222KB, 720x960px
I'm
>>1032015
Recently picked up a fly rod, Orvis Encounter 9' 5wt, and this was my first catch on it.
A nice chunky smallmouth, also my first smallie of the season! I'm happy with this season so far.
>>
>>1036087

I used the same 8 dollar spro frog all last year and will continue using it this summer. Zoom horny toads don't even actually float, kek.
>>
File: tenkara rods.png (398KB, 825x693px) Image search: [Google]
tenkara rods.png
398KB, 825x693px
Anybody else's facebook feed infested with these ads?
>>
>>1036153
Noice.

I could never justify the money for an Orvis since it'd just be panfish and bass
>tfw no trout or pike in my area

I'm pretty happy with my Echo though. Pretty tits rod for $90.
>>
>>1036166
>facebook
NORMIE GET OUT REEE
but seriously, no. I'm still stuck with Blackhawk! ads.
>>
File: image.jpg (591KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
591KB, 750x1334px
>>1036130
>IMO the Stratus V's are the single best sub-$100 baitcaster made.

Really? I feel like it's on par or slightly better than my black max. Not that that's a bad thing. I've also only used 3 sub $100 reels so I don't have much of an opinion.
>>
>>1036178
From an objective standpoint, the Stratus V is smoother and has a more consistent drag. it's also less likely to toss the spool tension knob (although I would *kill* for them to add a clicker to either). The magnetic cast control is more positive and has defined levels unlike the Abu, and unless they've changed the Abu recently the Stratus V has an inertial brake and the Black Max doesn't (I know there's been at least 3 generations of Black Max, not sure which one I've dinked with).

Subjectively the Stratus V has a higher gear ratio without being so ridiculously high it's hard to fish finesse presentations (6.6:1 vs either 6.4:1 or 5.8:1 depending on which model of Black Max). Definitely a contender for the "if I could only have 1 reel" category. And it's available in lefty retrieve, I've never seen a lefty Black Max.
>>
>>1036158
this. I've had the same three frogs for im not even sure how many years and they look and work exactly the same as if they were just out of the box.
The soft plastic frogs are ok I guess but id rather throw a buzzbait and get more of a commotion on the surface with the added noise and better hook up. Granted its not weedless but for those situations I would choose a hollow body 9/10 times over a sinking soft plastic frog that you cant pause for more then half a second without it dipping down and ruining the cast by covering the front in weeds and shit
>>1036166
>current year
>having a facebook account

anon..
>>
Alright I did it. Just got back from Dick's and I bought the F&S Tec Spec Elite 7' Medium "fast", Stratus V, and some trilene 10lbs clear mono.
I've used a 6'6" medium fast Lightning Rod with a Daiwa Strikeforce for years for everything.
Hoping it feels noticeable different when I take it out.
>>
File: moonfeels.jpg (85KB, 573x400px) Image search: [Google]
moonfeels.jpg
85KB, 573x400px
Anybody like fishing for carp in here? got any tips? I'm really getting into it and I'm trying to figure out better baits/ rigs.
>>
Who else /BootlegGin&Tonics/ while fishing here? Refreshing as fuck in this 100 degree weather
>>
>>1036224
Gin & Tonic and Mojitos are my go-to summer mixed drinks. Hella refreshing.
>>
>>1036228
People who say Hella need to be gassed. You probably wear monster t shirts and have a braided hemp necklace unironically.
>>
>>1036224
Usually have a vacuum bottle of whiskey sour with me when I'm not at the county parks.
>>1036205
Cheers. You'll enjoy them.
>>
Wow they discontinued the No. 8 Blackout rods? Anyone know why? I have 6'6 Medium and its a tank that is more sensitive than my brand new UL St Croix.
>>
What size whopper plopper should I buy?
>>
>>1036224
They're great, unless you live in a place where you really start sweating.
Then it turns into a /drinkingtogetdehydration/ general experience.
I'm better off splitting my time between Powerade and water when fishing, then celebrating with a good G&T later on.
>>
File: PicsArt_05-29-09.45.06.jpg (180KB, 663x884px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_05-29-09.45.06.jpg
180KB, 663x884px
>>1036242
90 for SMB
130 for lmb
190 for musky
get them in black(loon), bone, and rockstar(black and orange
>>
File: PicsArt_06-11-07.33.37.jpg (39KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_06-11-07.33.37.jpg
39KB, 453x604px
>>1035310
Along with what others have said drag pressure, type of line, sharp hooks and keeping good line pressure and rod positioning. I take a hook file and sharpen after every fish.
Also some hooks just suck. Some bend super easy(mustads) or are two dull or too large of barbs and won't get proper hook penetration. Alot of stock hooks on lures are trash with too long of shanks, lack of split rings or not large enough.
Going back to line. If you fish with light mono it's hard to get a good hookset with thick hooks and a smaller, light wire hook might get more penetration. Conversely when fishing with braid use beefy hooks.
>>
Looking to buy a jon boat but don't want to buy a trailer. Would a 14' be possible to secure to a truck bed? There's brand new Tracker 1436 boats for sale at a boat place down the road for $650-800 depending on options. The basic (no option) boat weighs around 160lbs. I could easily get it on and off a truck bed and /diy/ some wheels to pull it to the ramp and then load all my gear on it.

Planning on getting a jon boat and around a 50lb thrust trolling motor to fish some lakes and reservoirs for bass, trout, and catfish.
>>
File: IMG_20170611_194915.jpg (2MB, 3594x2036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_194915.jpg
2MB, 3594x2036px
First time out with a fly rod. Had to pick on bedding rock bass to get a fish on. Carp didn't care about the dry fly. No smb seemed interested, even dinks.

I'll have to tie some flies with marabou. Also work on casting and figure out how to toss it farther.
>>
>>1035896
These are so much stronger. Built for surf fishing plugs and are easy to use when your hands are freezing. They just need a swivel.
>>
>>1036272
Here's a great video to get more distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8idd4kgXY4
When you double haul, you really don't need to use a lot of effort to toss your flies out far. If you haven't watched them, Orvis has a ton of great instructional videos on fly fishing.
>>
TxFag is on suicide watch. I just lost a 7+ lber right at my feet.
>>
>>1036272
There's nothing wrong with picking on panfish to get bites when fly fishing.
At the end of the day it's still a fish on your line, and better than getting skunked.
>>
>>1036276
Maybe now you'll buy a net.
>>
>>1036279
A net would have had 0 impact
>>
File: IMG_5431.jpg (271KB, 1242x1648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5431.jpg
271KB, 1242x1648px
I think I'm going to to like this fly shop up north of me I just found. Apparently they have anything and everything related to fly fishing. Hopefully the women who owns it can give me some tips so I can finally fucking catch some trout around here. It's driving me crazy that I haven't been able to find any
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
God is toying with my emotions
>>
>>1036298
I've got a fly shop near me that's breddy gud, if a bit overpriced.

The guy that runs it has fly fished for basically all species on the planet and organizes group fishing trips around the world quarterly. The store's mainly geared for what's in the area (LMB, SMB, pickerel, stockies, panfish, carp), and is very patient and good at explaining shit to newbs. Will even take new flyguys out back and teach you how to cast.

The only complaints I have about the shop are the price of the flies (seriously, $5 minimum for basic shit like midges and foam creatures, dry flies start at $12 each and streamers can have 3 digits in the price) and the fact he doesn't carry "entry level" (IE, sub $250) fly rods.

Funny thing is there's a different fly shop literally 1 block away that carries EXCLUSIVELY trout stuff...despite not having any native trout and being 3+ hours from the closest stockies. I've never seen anyone go in or come out of there, no idea how he's still in business.
>>
>>1036304
Apparently with your location too. How'd you get to Australia so fast?
>>1036307
koi are fun to catch tho
>>
>>1036309
Ah, that's different then. Around me all public waters are open to fishing, including the city/county parks.

And I totally feel you on the cops not enforcing game code on minorities.
>>
>>1036311
>tfw you park on the side of the road down some country road to fish in a stream
>somebody drives up in their 70s Ford wearing a Romper telling you to get off his private property
>you're just fishing along side a public road that he happens to live on but it's apparently his since he lives off it
>leave anyways because cops will just tell me to leave so there's no issues with the guy

Everybody around this area thinks they own everything. Can't even go fishing in national forest lakes/ponds anymore without somebody saying you're in their spot

Trout fishing invites the most retarded assholes.
>>
>>1036315
It's not just trout. I've had guns pulled on me walleye fishing on public lakes because I was fishing a rock bar somebody thought was "theirs" even though I was there first.
>>
>>1036315
>i don't know that private property starts as soon as the public road easement ends
You're the reason fishermen get a bad name.
>>
File: IMG_5420.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5420.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1036306
I just hope she or someone there will be willing to point me the right direction. For the most part is still want to figure out some stuff myself. My only problem is I don't have a clue on when and were the fish are at certain times of the year. This time next year I'm hoping I will be knowledgeable enough to be tying all of my own flys with supply's from that shop, and be able to salmon, steelhead, and trout fish.

The main fishery that shop caters to is the river right across the street that is a national destination for salmon in the fall. For now I want to specifically target trout because that's all my noob rod can handle and obviously it's not the fall.

There is another creek I found that's a little bit to the west of that last creek I did terribly at and from what I read they stock a lot more fish in there. Plus they note that Brooke trout naturally occur in there so hopefully after going to talk with the people at the shop I'll be able to get one.
>>
>>1036153
>went back to the same spot a few hours later
>using the exact same nymph
>catch what looks like the exact same smallie
Fuckin dumbass. I gave him to some Mexican kids. Survival of the fittest.
>>
>>1036332
>I gave him to some Mexican kids.

Kill yourself. Seriously
>>
>>1036332
Just wait til you catch the same bedding bluegill every cast for 30 casts.

I stopped for fear of killing the damn thing, his lips were starting to look like he'd sucked off a tiny weed whacker.
>>
what are your bucket list spots /fish/?

personally i really want to go to mongolia and christmas island but more realistically id like to hit up the chesapeake bay one day. its such an anomaly and supposedly some of the most interesting flyfishing in the states
>>
>>1036348
Brazil for peacock bass.

Florida Keys for wahoo and bonefish.

Canada for trophy muskies.
>>
>>1036352
Pretty much this. I guess there's also some amazing trout fishing in BC, so that would also be on my list.
>>
>>1036348
From the bay here. It is seriously incredible fishing. Everytime I go home I contemplate why I moved..
>>
>>1036358
I'm gonna miss East NC for much of this same reason. Redfish, Black drum, sheepshead, speckled trout, tarpon, bluefish, marlin, false albacore, Mahi Mahi in the salt and trophy bass, panfish, and beautiful brook trout in the fresh. It's like fucking heaven for fishing. Its the reason I'm broke so much is cuz I'm blowing my money on both fly fishing gear and spin/surf gear alike.
>>
>>1036360
>Its the reason I'm broke so much is cuz I'm blowing my money on both fly fishing gear
iktf anon
you can get into fly fishing with a $100 combo but once you whip around a $400 rod theres no going back..

Also the bay is GOAT
>>
>>1036348
The keys
>tarpon
>bonefish
>mahi

Vietnam
>whatever wants to eat

Venice Lousiana
>trophy red fish

Africa
>tiger fish
>African bass for the lulz

Somewheres in SE Asia
>massive snakeheads

South America
>Massive peacock bass

Somewheres off the coast of China would be cool too
>GT
>whatever wants to eat

Most likely the only ones I'll do will be the ones in America and Vietnam.

Fish that I want to catch, but have no preference where are
>Marlin
>sailfish
>trophy cat
>trophy trout
>some kind of shark regardless of size
>>
>>1036368
I'm that anon who asked about Fort Worth. If we ever meet you can roll with me to East NC. I'm planning on visiting there a couple times a year after I move. You'll catch a helluva lot of marlin and sharks and a few other nice salt species.

>>1036367
It's a huge struggle but I've found plenty of wonderful price point rods and reels and have bought several. When companies like Orvis or Cabelas have a sale, I jump on it. I've gotten up to 50% off on some rods and reels and even combos.
>>
File: 1490224528873.jpg (82KB, 1417x781px) Image search: [Google]
1490224528873.jpg
82KB, 1417x781px
>>1036360
>spin gear
>>
>>1036374
nice!
i love orvis
my main 9ft5wt is an orvis recon
its an incredible rod
>>
>>1036375
I'm gonna catch however I can bro.

>take a few fly rods and an ugly stik with a spin reel
>catch a few fish on fly rod
>fly fishing is slowing down after a few hours
>cast out with ugly stik
>catch a few more fish.

I hate being discriminatory to different styles of fishing. Whatever is the best method for the moment is what I'm using.
>>
File: IMG_20170611_191353.jpg (586KB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_191353.jpg
586KB, 2400x3200px
What is this loop for?
>>
>>1036377
I just own a couple Clearwaters but goddamn I've never had a problem with em. Theyre just as good as my Redingtons or my TFOs.
>>
>>1036381
Securing your hook when you arent fishing lol
>>
>>1036381
Not to put the line through
>>
>>1036377
Get on Orvis's mailing list and you'll get some great fucking emails full of discount links and codes.
>>
>>1036380
i mean i get it and obviously i love catching fish, thats why were all hear to some degree i guess. but for me its more about just being out there and doing an activity i like. fly fishing is more active and fun and feels more like hunting to me and i enjoy it much more.
a vomit reaction image was a bit extreme i guess but spincasting just doesnt do it for me. no where near as rewarding
>>
Is a Pflueger Patriarch too overkill for a Fenwick HMG rod?
>>
>>1036388
I understand. I just like being out and having a good time on the water. You could put a lititle zebco rod in my hand and set me beside a pond of bluegill all day and I'd be happy.
>>
I have the Fenwick HMG and Lew's Laser G Spin with 4lb copolymer for trout fishing. It does pretty well casting 1/8oz lures.

No need to spend more than $50 on a spinning reel unless that 2oz lighter feel and a couple extra bearings actually sounds like it's worth $200 to you.
>>
>>1036394
because your a fag and have never caught a fish weighing more then 3lbs which in one fight will completely ruin the gears and bearings in your shitty reel
>>
>>1036394
Yeah Faggot
>>
How do I learn flipping and pitching? My rod keeps hitting the floor or the end of my line will drag
>>
>>1036401
>have caught 4 ft long redfish on a $40 ugly stik combo

I understand being stupid but how did you even manage to make it onto 4chan?
>>
>>1036389
Not at all. A nice reel can make the rod honestly.
>>
>>1035285
how do I get gud at holding a fish desu lads?
>>
>>1036422
>watch videos on how to hold specific fish properly
>do it with confidence
Fish can sense uncertainty and they'll flail. However, no matter how confidently you try to lip a pike, you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
Do you prefer fishing at night?

http://www.strawpoll.me/13167121
http://www.strawpoll.me/13167121
>>
>>1036425
Samsquatches and crocogators hunt at night. As do crazy creoles and MS13 gangbangers.

So na.
>>
>>1036426
>Samsquatches and crocogators hunt at night.
Not where I live, thankfully. It's a lot comfier at night, so I love it.
>>
>>1036381
Oh god. I think I'm having a brain aneurysm
>>
>>1036374
I might have to take you up on that. I have a buddy who's going fly fishing for reds up there next month.

>>1036391
+1
>>
>>1036425
only for catfeesh
>>
>>1036384
i secure the hook on the guides of the rod

i think that i'm fugging up the rod by doing that but idk
>>
>>1036495
You are. Nicks on the guides = nicks on the line = lost fish.
>>
here is a series obscure questions i hope someone will answer
whats a good catfish bait that wont catch turtles? theres a lake near me filled with little bullheads and a few rare (but big) channel cats, but i keep hooking turtles also.
also is there anyway i can minimize the bullheads and target the channels?
how do i not guthook catfish? it seems like i either pull the line as soon as the bobber goes down and they spit it, or i let them take it for a few seconds and they immediately swallow it (or its a god damn turtle again)
>>
>>1036381
not that you dumbass
>>
File: IMG_0027.jpg (451KB, 1200x792px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0027.jpg
451KB, 1200x792px
How do I properly figure out the depth of the water? Just throwing in and out a few times? Won't that scare some fish? Is it correct that I can catch zander in just 1m during summer, so no need for that at all? What about eel?
>>
>>1036513
Best bet is large circle hooks. No bobber and off the bottom with a somewhat tight drag so that when the catfish run the line has enough tension to pull the circle into their lip.

As for the turtles... they are the niggers of fresh water fishing. Stealing bait left and right is their mission. They look for bobbers in well fished lakes because they get coditioned from stealing bait off them.

Personally I use garlic and salt soaked blue gill and sunfish caught from the lake I fish at. Shrimp and sardines work too.
>>
Anon here who posted in the last thread about a dropshot rig that utilizes flies on spinning gear for panfish.

Update: went wading in a creek last night and discovered that a drop shot gets hung up too much on a rocky bottom. Instead, I took a 1/8 oz spoon and removed the treble hook from it and put on a fly. Conclusion? 14 fish on it
>>
File: babby.jpg (19KB, 385x383px) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
19KB, 385x383px
>catch 40 small mouth bass and 45 sunfish on my last 4 trips to my local lake
>bring sisters' kids with me one time
>they loose all lures I was using
>can only bring in 3 bass on my last 2 trips
>>
>>1036401
>consumerist bass fags think they need 18 bearings to catch 1-6lb bass
>my shark/grouper reel has 4 and has brought in countless few hundred fish in over the last 12 years
>>
File: Capturejpegjpeg.jpg (308KB, 1372x941px) Image search: [Google]
Capturejpegjpeg.jpg
308KB, 1372x941px
>>1035285
Is there any point in attempting to fish these little inlets and canals and shit?

What could I even catch in them?
>>
>>1036222
i like to fly fish for them
when im fishing for them with regular gear i fish with just corn on a fish finder rig with a size 4 or 2 baitholder hook
>>1036272
>Carp didn't care about the dry fly
they usually wont be, you have to use sinking flies that you can drag an inch infront of their nose while their nose is buried in the mud looking for food
honestly, the farthest you could reasonably hope to cast reasonably is 80 feet, but unless im blind casting i seldom make a cast over 30 feet
>>1036273
+1
>>1036306
its probably just a front for drugs
>>1036368
>>some kind of shark regardless of size
literally go to any pier and soak a piece of cut bait on the bottom at night, youll either get a stingray, red drum, or shark.
>>1036523
that animal gives exactly zero fucks, and it looks sweet, and that makes it cute as fuck, even though it looks like a guinea pig fucked a gopher
>>
>>1036657
fk ya

that's where fish go to spawn
>>
>>1036401
Only fast and powerful saltwater fish like kingfish will burn your drag to the point where you need a really good drag system. You can catch big bass with a Walmart combo that has felt washers.
>>
>>1036652
They're retarded, a high end drag system isn't super important with bass fishing. Even the 5 pounders I've caught barely pulled drag.
>>
>>1036273
>meme clips
>>
>>1036485
Where in Texas are you? Know any places in the Plano, Richardson, Garland area?
>>
>>1036304
how the f
>>
>>1036692
I once caught a 3" baby largemouth using a wacky rigged senko.
Sunfish are dumb.
>>
>>1036513
Establish dominance. Eat the turtles.
They actually taste awesome.
>>
>>1035716
you'll want to spool it with braid eventually. but you're gonna suck at first and backlash a lot. this will in turn lead to you cutting/wasting line. use cheap mono till you get casting down then move up to braid once you feel confident.
>>
>>1036425
Most parks and public water close at sundown, so lots of people here haven't tried it. But if you ever get into a situation where you can, do.
Topwater at night is some amazing stuff. When the bite is on, it's like you're in a Friday the 13th movie and fishing for Jason with horny teenagers.
>>
>>1036485
Anytime bro. I'm more than happy.
>>
>>1036664
>looks like a guinea pig fucked a gopher
That's a capybara.
Their main claim to fame seems to be as the designated prey that gets rekt when nature show producers in the Amazon want shots of caimans eating things.
>Get in here babe! They've got a shot of capybara swimming across a river!'
>Oh he's so cute! I wonder where the-OH MY GOD!
>>
>>1035820
>FeelFree Lure 13.5
love mine but can't imagine putting it on a car roof. Truck with bed extender...

I ocean & pond with mine all the time.
>>1035823
>Do you stand
you can, it's hella-stable

>>1035835
>isn't slow as molasses
never been an issue. Why the hate? Personally I prefer paddling and it's great for my back. 'yak is the one place in the world I have zero back pain. That seat is comfy.... I may try a pedal drive this summer just for giggles but I don't think it will work for me.

bluefish for dinner last night, was awesome

thread is probably already at 310
>>
I just bought a Jon boat and was looking for setup videos on YouTube but all I found was retards turning them into bass boats.

What's a good setup for lake/reservoir fishing? Should I get a gas motor or trolling?

I got a tracker topper 14'
>>
>>1036743
I dont even boat but to reply from boredom, always have backup paddles, get comfortable seating. Wear a pfd at all times
>>
>>1036743
You should get a small gas outboard for getting to and from good spots in a reasonable amount of time
>tfw even a 55lb thrust trolling motor only moves my 12' mod-V about 4mph
Just make sure its something you can pick up and move by yourself. Which for most people tops out at 20-25hp and is the secondary reason 9.9s are so popular.
>>
>>1035986
For ocean here it's high tide/water line. It's awesome fishing in the backyard of 200 Million dollar houses.
Only caveat is you have to have a rod, be actively fishing or moving and there has to be a public access point that got you to the shore.
>>
>>1036664
Give me a skid rig for sharks

>>1036677
I'm west of Fort Worth, so I don't know any spots over there. I avoid going that way as much as I can. I've heard good things about Ray Hubbard, but I don't know how shore access is.
>>
>>1036236
>People who say Hella need to be gassed.
>>1036741
>hella-stable
made me laugh
>>
>>1036748
>I avoid going that way as much as I can.
I don't blame you. I grew up in in Ft. Worth and hated Dallas, but I'm a student at UTD now.
I'll just check stuff about Hubbard's shore fishing, but I've seen promising stuff about White Rock in Dallas.
>>
>>1036736
damn
>>1036748
>Give me a skid rig for sharks
on a scale of 1-10 how autistic do you want it?
1 being a hook under a bobber for bluegill and 10 being a rig that looks more like a tangle you snagged than a rig
>>
>>1036768
Good luck anon

>>1036807
10, but still useable
>>
File: riiiggggggggggg for tx.png (18KB, 561x628px) Image search: [Google]
riiiggggggggggg for tx.png
18KB, 561x628px
>>1036815
okay, you are going to need a pyramid sinkers, beads, some single strand wire 80 pound test should do, some 250 lb swivels, 7/0 circle hooks (the heavier the wire the better) some of those weight clips that look like over grown snaps with a plastic bit on the top, a drill with a tiny drill bit, and some finishing brads and a rod/reel with atleast 250 yards of #20 mono, preferably more, a bait runner, and a shock leader of 80 pound test

here's what youre gonna do
>take the weight snaps, break off the plastic bit, replace it with a swivel
if you dont do that youll lose your lead
>slip a bead on to the end of your shock leader
>the weight thingy
>bead
>then tie a swivel on
okay thats the rod end done, now youre going to go up to your hook and single strand wire.
>haywire twist the hook on to the wire
>make sure its a fairly large loop
>helicopter the tag end
>break the wire about 24-36 inches down
>haywire twist on to the free swivel on to your main line
its basically just a fish finder rig
now go to your lead, which shoiuld be 3-6 oz depending on a myriad of factors
>clamp the lead in a vice
>next to the eye in a place it wont interfere, drill a hole
>hammer a wire brad in to that hole so it wont pull out
>put it on your weight clip thing
that was the autistic part, now here's how to rig

>fish with a small rod, get a fish 4-8 inches long that is legal to use as bait (pin fish and croaker are my preferred baits for this)
>hook it in the back towards the tail so it will stay alive
>put the loop in the wire next to the hook on the nail on the weight
>the fish should be hanging right next to the weight with a big loop of wire hanging free
>this keeps the two heaviest parts of the rig in one place during the cast
>when the bait hits the water, the sinker sinks faster than the fish and they seperate
>fish has a 3 foot radius hemisphere to swim around in and look tasty
>shark teeth are 3 feet from your main line
it will work from the peir or surf just fine
>>
>>1036844
actually no, thats only a 6 at most ill be back with a 10 you need 2 rods for the 10 though
>>
>>1036750
you dun goofed, jabroni
>>
>>1036845
>you need 2 rods for the 10 though

Dear god no that set up should get you trown off the peir.
>>
File: trolley rigging.png (16KB, 1399x606px) Image search: [Google]
trolley rigging.png
16KB, 1399x606px
>>1036851
>>1036845
>>1036844
>>1036815
here it is, pin rigging/trolley rigging/ king rigging
>pic related
you use an anchor rod (red line) to cast an anchor (looks a lot like a grappling hook)
then use something called a clothes pin to connect a fighting rod (blue line) so that your bait hangs just in the water

here's a more in depth description of how its done
http://www.avalonpier.com/tips/kingrig.html
>>
>>1036855
Thrown off the the pier right into the rocks head first.
>>
>>1036859
doesnt work on rocks, has to be sand
>>
>>1036389
What do you mean overkill? Do you mean does it make sense to put a $200 reel on a $100 rod?

I'd rather have a good reel and cheaper rod than a good rod and cheaper reel.

I own the 7'6 HMG and have an Ardent Wire for the reel with 6lb flurocarbon. I use it for trout and panfish and sometimes take it saltwater fishing.

The rod is about $80 at Field & Stream. I think I paid $140 for the reel. Both were well worth it. The rod has a kind of hard and heavy cork handle, but it's very sensitive and comfortable to hold and cast for hours. The reel is slightly heavier than other small reels on the market in the price range but it looked badass so I bought it.
>>
File: skidrig.png (20KB, 1158x1160px) Image search: [Google]
skidrig.png
20KB, 1158x1160px
>>1036845
>>
Fly line used to have a lil metal loop at the end, it broke off sometime brining it to the fly shop. They tied a tippet to it directly with a line to line knot.

Anyway I can put a loop at the end of my fly line so I can just tie tippets at the end with a simple clinch knot? Would a small swivel work or does it add too much weight?

Probably fine for nymphing/wet flies right
>>
>>1036931
Yes to the loop. If you use looped leaders you can actually attach them with what's called a "perfection loop".

Here's a tutorial on putting a loop in the end of your fly line.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe6rvOTK-2I
A small swivel would cause a floating fly line to sink but would work with a sinking or sinking tip line.
>>
>>1036934
That video was clever, thanks.
So once I get this loop I could just tie my leading line to it with a clinch knot?
Ill probably be using just light mono. Ill rock with this tapered tippet until I lose too much of it from re-tying or from an out-of-reach snag
>>
What are some good educational videos for intermediate anglers?
>>
File: rubbit.jpg (201KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
rubbit.jpg
201KB, 960x720px
>>1036228
I hekka like em' when it hot out. careful with your wording tho it upsets the conservatives
>>
>>1036949
If it's tapered it's a leader. You should never break a leader because your tippet should always be the weak point.

It goes fly linie-->leader-->tippet.
>>
>>1036951
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_h-2kot6s
>>
>>1036961
>tfw u realize all it takes to catch a bullfrog is to tap your bait or even a bare hook on their nose and they'll bite it by refle 100% of the time
>>
>>1036949
>>1036931
leave the knot, its fine, just cut it off so its like 3 inches long, tie a perfection loop, then on subsequent leaders tie perfection loops for that convenient loop-loop connection.
>>
>>1036844
>>1036855
You didn't disappoint
>>
>>1036972
my favorite thing about bill dance is that he is a real person
>>
>>1036994
Compared to what? Do you think KVD or Gary Yamamoto are ayys or something?
>>
>>1036972
Can't tell if he is just really clumsy or one of those deals like, record someone outside long enough and dumb shit will eventually happen.
>>
>>1036971
I see, so I should be tying some mono at the end of my tapered leader? What knot for that?
>>
>>1037005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIsD5-W6pFE
answering this myself
>>
I found a tick on me saturday night after fishing. It had bitten my leg.

Now I have like a good sized mosqito bite. How do I keep from getting lime disease?
>>
>>1037001
The dude's been producing fishing shows for like 35 years straight and spends an assload of time on the water both on and off camera. Shit's bound to go wrong eventually.

>>1037005
Yes. Depending on the size of the fish you target you can either use plain ol' mono (highly recommend Trilene XL, it's supple enough to actually turn over smaller flies) or buy specialty tippet material which will be even more supple.

This saves your leader from breakage and getting too short.

There's a few good knots to use, but most will use a double surgeon's knot.

>>1037008
You don't, it's not preventable beyond "don't get bitten". If you develop a bullseye rash around the bite go to the doctor and get prescribed doxycycline or a similar antibiotic. Dosing yourself before the rash appears can simply delay the onset and build an antibiotic resistance in any bacteria already in you making it harder to treat once it does pop up.
>>
File: surf fishing.jpg (42KB, 941x426px) Image search: [Google]
surf fishing.jpg
42KB, 941x426px
>>1036973
weedless flys get them pretty easy
>>
File: 49708_800x600.jpg (295KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
49708_800x600.jpg
295KB, 800x600px
No idea where to post this t b h

How retarded is buying a boat and trying to pick up fishing as a trade to make a living if you've never done it before? I don't know if it's escapism but just being around harbors/bays makes me happy. I grew up in those kind of environments but moved to the big city later on and before I picked up any useful skills. Recently I've gotten a longing back, but I've no idea if I'd fit. Most people nearby only sail recreationally, since most fishing is done through huge ships, but some still do it as a business, but I'd feel daft just standing around in port all day asking everyone if they needed help when 95% aren't doing it for work.
>>
>>1037010
Yep just did the surgeons knot and now I got mono tied at the end of my tippet.
Just happens to be Trilene XL, 6lb test. What do you mean "turn over"

Also how long should the tippet be?
>>
>>1037015
Fishing for trade is not going to be done with a rod and reel. I can tell you that. However fishing for your own meals can be
>>
>>1037015
Skid/10 retarded but hey live your dream have fun and if you fail a bullet is less than $1.
>>
>>1037019
I'm not talking about rod and reel fishing, but rather laying nets and all that shit. I may know nothing about fishing, but I realize you don't do it with a fucking rod.
>>
>>1037013
Well that is one way to stay out of the seaweed.
>>
>>1037008
RIP in pieces anon.
>>
>>1037015
If saltwater, pretty dumb. Too much gear layout to be cost effective.

However, freshwater commercial fishing like running catfish trotlines or carp/buffalo gill nets can be gotten into (and back out of) cheaply. Big jon boat, 60hp motor, $500 in trotlines, and $50 in bait a day. Doesn't require any specialized knowledge of the waters, can be done by yourself, and can be hugely profitable
>on average a 50 hook trotline will catch 8-12 catfish per 6 hour set
>6-9 of those catfish will be marketable at around $5 each
>$500 worth of trotline rigging will produce around 20, 50 hook trotlines
>trotlines take about 5 minutes each to set with practice so you can get 2 full sets in a 10 hour day
So 40 trotline sets at 6-9 marketable fish (plus trash fish for you to eat) is 240-360 fish, or $1200-$1800 per day gross. Figure you're burning around 12 gallons of gas in a 10 hour day at $2.20 (high side) and your total expense from launch to recovery is $76. Boat insurance on even a big jon boat is cheap AF, the requisite license are cheap AF, and your only variable expenses will be getting the boat to/from the river and the fish to the market.
>>
>>1037018
>>1037018
Turning over is where the fly fully extends your leader and tippet so it lands the furthest out and lands gently so as not to spook fish with either a loud plop or line piled up on top of it (also prevents tangles). It's the main reason for selecting the appropriate leader and tippet material.

Tippet length depends heavily on where you're fishing, the conditions you're fishing in, and what you're fishing for.

Generally you want a short tippet on windy days, when fishing around cover or in tight quarters, or fishing for not-easily-spooked fish (basically anything other than native trout). Generally you want a long tippet when fishing deep water (use fluorocarbon tippet because it sinks), fishing easily spooped fish, or on calm days.

Bass and panfish (or when it's super windy) I usually only use about 8" of tippet. Stockies I'll run 2 feet. Out west when I'm pestering trout I'll use as much as 6 feet.

Tippet's cheap, even when buying specialty tippet material. Don't skimp on it.
>>
>>1037025
just curious, not the guy you're replying to buy but who/what business would buy fish in mass like that from some random dude? only thing ive ever heard of that is some asian markets/places buying fish from people.
>>
>>1037028
I'm the guy who asked, and where I live it's actually pretty common. I live on the northern east coast of Sweden, and there's quite a few fishing communities nearby. As I said, much of it is recreational, but some smaller commercial ventures exist.
>>
File: fizery.jpg (87KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
fizery.jpg
87KB, 640x640px
>>1037019
there are a number of commercial fisheries that are solely rod and reel and they do fine.. jus sayin'
>>
this fish took my jerkbait in high current but shook off near shore

it didn't really look like a bass... the top fin was pretty big and it kinda had a hump behind its head

any ideas what it could have been?
>>
>>1037028
Here in the midwest, most restaurant supply companies buy catfish and carp/buffalo, since any restaurant that wants to be successful serves some form of catfish (usually fried filets). A lot makes it to farmer's markets and stalls as well.

>>1037027
Pic related is a crude illustration.

The biggest reason for a fly not turning over is a fugged cast, which is lack of practice. Second biggest reason is a damaged leader or stiff tippet.

>>1037030
Only one I can come up with off the top of my head is North American sushi-grade tuna. Pretty much everywhere else in the world longlines (saltwater trotline).
>>
File: fly cast.png (13KB, 1158x1160px) Image search: [Google]
fly cast.png
13KB, 1158x1160px
>>1037034
>pic related
>forgets the pic
Fug.
>>
>>1037032
Walleye?
>>
>>1037038
hmm yeah it could have been, it was in high current off a point tho, do they usually hang out there?
>>
>>1037032
Bowfin.
>>
>>1037032
Where do you live?

Off the top of my head:
>perch
>walleye/sauger/saugeye
>peacock bass (southern half of FL)
>bowfin
>>
File: pop pop goes the glok.jpg (91KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
pop pop goes the glok.jpg
91KB, 960x960px
>>1037029
>commercial fish salmon and sea trout
>build smoker and learn how to use smoker
>smoke your fish
>brand and package you fish
>sell direct to stores at inflated costs
>use catchy phrases like "from sea to table"
>"rich in omega 3" "locally owned and operated"
>learn to make salmon and trout jerky
>learn to make salmon and trout sausages
>find a niche market for your fish products
and you may succeed

dont try to compete with the big boys produce a niche market item and work the angles from there.
>>
>>1037043
montreal

it was the st lawrence river
>>
>>1037036
I understood from your description, thanks.
Ill try and look into tippet line instead of mono if I have bad experiences. Whats makes line more suitable for a tippet anyways? Is it like hollow and stiffer?
>>
>>1037044
Wait wats that pic about?
>>
File: deo.jpg (186KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
deo.jpg
186KB, 960x960px
>>1037034
op isnt in america
>>
Who's copping

https://youtu.be/-__Av27A3tY
>>
>>1037047
Tippet comes in either monofilament or flurocarbon, just like regular fishing line. Generally (assuming you buy a brand name) it gets a little tighter QC and as such will be softer or thinner. I use regular fishing mono for tippet a lot, pretty much the only freshwater species I won't use it for are trout and pike.

Native trout and pike get fluoro tippet due to its extra abrasion resistance and nigh-invisibility. Stockies get mono actual-tippet because it casts better with tiny dry flies and I still have to hit pretty precise targets.
>>1037045
Most likely a walleye or sauger then.
>>
>>1037047
its actually thinner and more supple
>>
>>1037049
Educated guess is it's a water activated rod recovery thingy.
>drop rod overboard
>float pops out the butt
>float corks to surface with lifeline attached to rod
>grab float
>pull rod up
>>
>>1037052
I have no real idea what FF is about but Ive always had some fantasy of my own where minecraft was heavily focused on hunting, and now fishing.
The landscapes in that game were amazing. But then build on that terrain generation and add rivers to it, and then connect those to lakes.
Weather would correlate to water depth + flow rate.
With that then add some sort of fish AI that connects to the whole watershed system. Some really basic fish like trout that are programmed to migrate up river from the lakes. Then some rare fantasy fish.
>>
File: 134 Jun. 12 18.50.jpg (568KB, 1530x851px) Image search: [Google]
134 Jun. 12 18.50.jpg
568KB, 1530x851px
>>1037049
you ever drop a rod overboard? this has a cartridge that when submersed for a bit will discharge a floating buttcap and a stowed line for you to recover your rod and reel. drop your rod in 60' of water and still get it back.

Japs think of everything...
>>
Pickerel spawn here fine, native here
Northern pike however dont, they're stocked.

What the difference for spawning requirements for the two?
>>
New thread up

>>1037063
>>1037063
>>1037063
>>1037063
>>
File: oodles chair jeff1 power.jpg (2MB, 1000x1246px) Image search: [Google]
oodles chair jeff1 power.jpg
2MB, 1000x1246px
>>1035650
It's summer man, a pool noodle, a length of rope and a pair of flippers and you're good to go man. You can DIY one of these with noodles from the dollar store and even make one for your cooler. Unsinkable and you can put your hooks in them.

Cheap AF. Great for summertime night fishing.
>>
>>1035834

Use chicken gizzards instead, they stay on the hook great so you can cast as hard as you want to.
>>
>>1035285

Been doin pretty well this year. I mostly Flyfish/tie but bass are loving the minnow patterns and flashy bugger jig. Have done alright with frog poppers as well.
>>
File: FullSizeR.jpg (693KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeR.jpg
693KB, 2048x1536px
>>1037508
Some of my ties that are working well.
>>
File: IMG_0719.jpg (603KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0719.jpg
603KB, 1536x2048px
>>1037514
>>
File: 86362451616.png (461KB, 3164x1900px) Image search: [Google]
86362451616.png
461KB, 3164x1900px
I live in Virginia in the mountains on the western side of the state. I've been fishing for almost a year now and catching little dink suckers and mudcats in polluted rivers is boring to me.

What are some good places for fishing along 81 or along 64 between Staunton and Richmond? I don't care what it is, but catching small fish is boring. I went bass fishing once and that was boring. Even the big 4-5lb bass we caught was just like reeling in a shoe.

Should I just fish less frequently but fish at the bay? I couldn't afford to go there every single weekend. I usually fish 2-3 days out of the week and own a 14' jon boat with 50lb thrust trolling motor.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.