[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 64

File: 1496794850286.jpg (62KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1496794850286.jpg
62KB, 600x450px
#165-"She's Different!" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1030949

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
File: onemoretime.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
onemoretime.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
bamp
>>
File: perception.jpg (133KB, 818x960px) Image search: [Google]
perception.jpg
133KB, 818x960px
what do y'all think of this new board yak?
It's predicted to be the next hot trend in kayaking. you can paddle it like a sup or sit down paddle like a yak. lots of options for mounts.
>>
File: IMG_20170606_210236[1].jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170606_210236[1].jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1032766
Guy with old Daiwa Silver cast 210rl here would like to know when it was made. and here are a few pics if you want specific pics just ask
>>
>tfw live in northern illinois and can't find a consistent spot to fish
How do you guys find good ponds? I've been to a few and there's usually nothing good.
>>
Thinking about getting a jon boat to go further up the rivers but I'm moving out of my current state in November for school. What do? Would it still be a worthwhile investment or should I hold off?

I'm moving from Eastern North Carolina to DFW, Texas btw.
>>
>>1032778
You up near Waukegan? I had a buddy stationed at Great Lakes who used to slay trout up there.
>>
File: IMG_20170606_210138[1].jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170606_210138[1].jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1032776
Kinda hard to dumb when my phone pics are 4032x3024 is that 4k? idk picture stuff.
>>
Are the St Croix Triumph spinning rods good or should I save $30 and get a Berkley Lightning Shock rod?

Looking at either a 7'0 Medium Light St Croix for $90 or a 7'6" Medium Light Berkley for $60.

I'll mainly be throwing Mepps inline spinners from my kayak, but will probably also take it with me to stocked lakes/ponds to soak powerbaits from the bank.
>>
>>1032779
Fuck of we are full.

Also get the boat after you move.
>>
>>1032779
Get a Kayak instead. Much more versatile. I used to live in Arlington and there's plenty of fishing spots. Could also take your yak out in the gulf every few weekends.
>>
>>1032787
The line could be tangled behind the spinner head or the thumb button spring is bent or broken.
>>
>>1032787
your nails are gross af
>>
>>1032779
>>1032790
Sorry I thought that said California not Carolina.
>>
>>1032789
I love St. Croix. I have a St. Croix 5wt fly rod I adore. Dunno bout their spin rods but if it's like their fly rod in terms of quality then I'd get it.
>>
>>1032794
Sorry. I do alot of outside work post your nails friendo.
>>1032792
fixable?
>>
>>1032776
Where's the cover for the spool?
That's kind of necessary for a spincast reel to work correctly.
>>
>>1032801
no i mean they're long as fuck and look disgusting
>>
>>1032801
If you can bend the spring back or buy a replacement or if it's just jacked up line then respooling.
>>
>>1032801
>fixable?
Very.
Just untangle the line from under the cap covering the spool and then wind it back on when the line is feeding straight from the spool like it should.

>>1032804
Never mind. Saw the next pic.
>>
My line snapped in the middle instead of near the knot... the sound it made scared the crap out of me I thought I snapped my rod tip for a second
>>
>>1032805
50% lighting 50% yea they are. but I like having long nails useful for opening and picking shit up.
>>1032808
thx
>>1032807
Alright thanks
>>
>>1032791
Kayak a better option for that region, then? I may just snag one. There's a yak sale going on at a local store here.
>>
>>1032809
It happens, especially if the reel is full of rotted out old line.
If it is, dump it all and respool with fresh.
>>
>>1032779
I'd say go for it. The lakes/trinity river have lots of access points and aren't really bad at all for using a boat.

What part of DFW?

There a decentish kayaking community here, but if you want to fish some of the bigger lakes I'd want a boat. Either will work fine though.

>>1032795
I thought the same thing.

Tell me the story about you pulling out the kid at the beach.
>>
>>1032819
Fort Worth but commuting to UNT Dallas. I'll probably be fishing every bit of water in and around the metro I can.
>>
>>1032815
it was fresh line

I got stuck in a tree and a bush and it snapped close to my rod in the bush

I decided to cut my losses and stop fishing for the day after that before I actually broke my rod lol
>>
File: dawww.jpg (60KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
dawww.jpg
60KB, 720x960px
>>
>>1032821
My nigga. If you're gonna be in the Notth Richland Hills/hurst area there's some decent ponds, and you got a good bunch of lakes within an hour, plus the trinity.

There's some ponds actually in Fort Worth, but they can be kind of shady so I wouldn't suggest going to them in the evening. It's a pretty safe city, and I doubt anything would happen, but better safe than sorry.

Also, I hope you weren't expecting clear water cause I got news for you..
>>
>>1032824
Jesus christ. getting your line stuck sucks but breaking the rod right after. damn anon that most have been a shit day.4
>>
>>1032829
i quit before i broke my rod

it would have been shit
>>
>>1032831
I would have thrown a hissy fit.
>>
>>1032828
That's actually where I'm probably gonna be living. Looking at buying a townhouse up there.

As used to clear water and deep blue water as I am I've been told it ain't so much that way in that part of the nation. I'll probably try to hit the Gulf or vacation back in NC a few times a year.

What all can I expect to catch? I've been told stripers and largemouth are pretty decent.
>>
I just caught my first bass on an artificial lure ever guys. Some kid at Cabelas recommended this fire tiger swimmer to me and I'm so glad I bought it.
>>
>>1032789
Shocks are only $40-$50 most places.
>>
Looking to start a heavy musky setup. If I'm only throwing up to two ounce lures (usually 3/4 to 1.5 oz size) what pound test braid should I get?
>>
anyone know when the silvercast 210rl was made?
>>
>>1032841
I was wondering mine was made in Japan how long does brass last before it goes to shit?
>>
Yo dicks is having a pretty decent sale on a bunch of reels right now... Somebody better tell them they're doing it wrong.

>>1032833
Cool man. Theres a bunch of ponds in rich neighborhoods around there.

>As used to clear water and deep blue water as I am I've been told it ain't so much that way in that part of the nation

Yep. Theres one lake around Temple (2hrs) and one small one around glenrose (1hr) that have super clear water. Then there's the creeks/rivers in the hill country (~3hrs depending on where you go).

Everything else I know of will only have a few feet of visibility most of time. Dark and Bright colors usually work the best for me, but on sunny days natural colors can be killer if you can drop the lure on the fish.

>What all can I expect to catch? I've been told stripers and largemouth are pretty decent.

I don't know much about lakes more towards Dallas, but Lake Granbury (1hr) is good for stripers and LMB is decent in most of the lakes. Lake Worth has some monster (70+ lb) blue cats in it, but you aren't suppose to eat them due to PCBs.

Don't expect monster bass from DFW, but 5lbers aren't uncommon. There's some good spots for crappie and sandies are another popular fish.

I HIGHLY suggest taking a trip to the hill country and finding a creek/river to fish. its super comfy to just park your car on the side of the road and start wading a creek away from everybody in the middle of no where.

>I'll probably try to hit the Gulf
Im still pumped for Me, Zurriss, and that one anon from up north to hit surf next year assuming these threads don't go to complete shit. The 6 hour drive is kind of a bitch though.
>>
>>1032846
Thanks for your help man. I realay appreciate the info. I'm pretty used to surf and deeper salt water fishing having been stationed out here for so long and I feel somewhat spoiled by the sea. I probably won't be able to stay away from saltwater for too long before I make a trip.
>>
File: fish.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Me and me mum caught 12 fish in 6 hours on a bridge today.

I think they are crappies
>>
>>1032819
>Tell me the story about you pulling out the kid at the beach.

Ok so on that trip to the coast that ended with me getting stitches.

>Get tent set up
>Got lines in the water
>Got about 18 beers in me
>Had seen shitty Silverado with rebel flag flying from the bed and big mudder tires roll by a few times earlier
>Day just starting to fade
>This barefoot trailer trash covered in mud walks up to me

Can you help me get my truck out of the mud I have been stuck for 3 hours.

>About to stop fishing anyways so agreed to help out
>Put my fishing gear in the XJ and we go down this back road next to a pre WW1 cemetery
>That Silverado is sunk to both its axles in a mud rut

I was trying to straddle the rut but slipped in.

>Tracks lead right to ruts
>notshocked.jpeg
>Attach tow strap
>Already in 4x4
>Pull him out like a dink bass
>Go to leave and notice he is not behind me
>He tried to turn around in the same bog spot I did and is now up too both axles again
>Reattach tow strap
>Drag him all the way to the paved road this time

I swear his daddy probably beat him when he got home covered in mud and had to explain why he was late.
>>
>>1032856
why do retards think there trucks are indestructible machines that can plow through anything? what retards.
>>
>>1032849
lol they're sunfish silly
>>
>>1032862
I think this is the first time I have seen the word "Silly" on 4chan in the past 5 years. must be a femanon.
>>
>>1032848
No worries. I don't think there's many (if any) other posters who live around Fort Worth, so I never get a chance to sperg out. Once you get down here if you wanna know where those ponds are just let me know and I'll post em.

If you want clear saltwater you'll have to go at least to Mustang Island close to Corpus Christi, and the further south you go the clearer it'll get Matagorda seems to be the hotspot for trophy size trout, but the water is a lot muddier.

Oh and I guess one more thing I should mention is people generally love to talk down here, so expect to other anglers to start a conversation with you every now and then. And everyone seems to openish about what lures have been working for them so don't be afraid to ask.

>>1032856
Kek. I love the dudes with big jacked up trucks that don't know how to off-road.

I had to learn how not to get stuck pretty fast, because my mom would have killed me if I buried her tundra like that.

I'm sure fucking around in her truck has saved me from getting stuck in my car a few times.

Your story reminds me of this spot by the lake where there's a set of ruts about 30 yards long people always run through when it rains. Without fail theres always someone in a stock truck that tries to go through it, bottoms out, and completely fucks their truck pulling it out.

Saw one dude that tore his exhaust off when he was pulled out.

>>1032861
>my truck has 300 horsepower and 35inch tires!
>all I have to do is floor it and I'll go through anything!

Actual words I heard in high school.
>>
>>1032862
I had a feeling, but I let my mom talk me into thinking they were crappies.

Also I caught three of them with one minnow. and on the third try with that minnow, as soon as I dipped the bobber in the water I had a a fish on my line.

They really liked to hang out under the bridge next to branch near the edge of a river.
>>
>>1032865
Hahhaha maybe they should come up north here in Canada Nunavut and see their mighty truck get destroyed by frozen water. and pot holes the size of the grand canyon
>>
>>1032861
He was lucky he got stuck where he did the marsh he was about to drive into has spots even my XJ can not drive. If he went 15 feet further and about 5 fee to the left he would have sunk down to his hood.
>>
>>1032838
#30 or 40 should be fine
>>1032849
those are long ear sunfish
>>1032856
>I swear his daddy probably beat him when he got home covered in mud and had to explain why he was late
we can only hope
>>
>>1032865
>300 horsepower
>powerful for a truck
there is a production motorcycle that does more than that
>>
>>1032865
>Saw one dude that tore his exhaust off when he was pulled out.

After pulling one dudes plastic bumper off his truck I now attach both ends of the tow strap myself.
>>
>>1032849
Good haul. A lot of longear sunfish
>>
>>1032769
>nj licsence plate
Of course it would be new jersey
>>
>>1032789
Recently bought one myself and I can say that it isn't fancy, but it is a great bang for your buck
>>
>>1032778
illinois has no decent places to fish, especially for bass
>>
>>1032865
I'm always happy to get more info from other anglers. When I get there I'll definitely hit these threw up for more help. Thanks
>>
File: snzag0z.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
snzag0z.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>1032849
nice bunch of smallmouth bass

>>1032856
people are even dumber on the water
>>
>>1032845
Brass lasts basically forever.
>>
>>1032867
Most of them would never take their trucks seriously off roading for fear of being beaten or scratching it

>>1032870
Meh it's about the average HP for most half ton trucks. I agree it's not that much, but it should be more than enough for anything you'll do regularly.

I mean the old Broncos only put out about 150ft/lbs of torque and those things are great for off-road.

>>1032872
Jesus Christ why would someone think that's a good idea?
>>
>>1032895
alright thx anon im tired now /out/ is so comfy.
>>
Do these things actually work?
>>
>>1032900
Fuck yes.
>>
>>1032898
I own a beat up S10. I trust that little beater more than most nicer trucks. Only nice things Ive done to it is put a toolbox on it and upgrade the sound system. I've done all night camping and fishing trips with it. I probably wont buy much nicer desu.
>>
>>1032901
What kind of environment?
>>
>>1032904
I've caught bass on those in everything from sub-1-acre farm ponds to the main channel of the Mississippi, to Table Rock.

I've caught stocked trout on the 2" ones, although those are by-catch when targeting crappie and smallies.

Sunfish love the 2" ones as well.

You can burn them in, bounce them off rock/gravel bottoms, umbrella rig them, or do basically anything else you'd do with a swimbait.
>>
File: style.png (154KB, 211x407px) Image search: [Google]
style.png
154KB, 211x407px
>>1032594
nice boat
>>1032753
>12 beers in pic
>0 open
>>1032856
dank
>>1032779
ive been looking at john boats on CL all week. kayaking for me got boring when i couldn't find a (good) way to attach a motor. either you have to paddle around a lake with the wind blowing you all over the place or you have to go on a river and have a drop off pickup system.
cant decide between flat bottom john and V

which would be better for also pulling water skiiers
>>
How the fuck do I get into fly fishing
>>
>>1032913
You're not gonna pull skiiers with a jon boat, by the time you get enough engine on it it's planing weird and is unstable. They're not designed to go fast.
>>1032914
Buy a fly rod and hit up jewtube.
>>
>>1032914
Snag a cheapo 4 or 5 weight rod off ebay (used is fine as long as it's graphite, med-fast actions are the easiest to learn with) and a $20 chinkshit reel and google up an instructional video.

Start with panfish on dry flies and terrestrials, it's frustrating trying to learn with spooky fish because you will have a lot of bad casts at first. Use a 6-7 foot leader and around 2 feet of tippet.
>>
>>1032917
wouldn't a flat bottom john plane like instantly?
>>
>>1032923
Depends mainly on how much weight is in the boat and where.

Also, jon boats get squirrely at speed since they lack anything resembling a keel.
>>
>>1032944
Well I have hip waders so........
>yes
>>
File: IMG_0064.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0064.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I always beat the shit out of these soft plastic swimbait putting on the jighead because I always have go for multiple tries before being satisfied with how it sit on the swimbait and how much of the hook is sticking out

Send help

And I rarely use them compared to other shit too
>>
How feasible would it be to fish with a 60 pound bow with a line attached to the arrow?
>>
>>1033095
If it was not feasible people would not so it.
>>
>>1033104
aight then.
>>
>>1032902
Theres quite a few Blazers/Broncos on Craigslist for $1500 that only need minor (mostly carb) work and I'm always tempted to get one.

>>1032949
I always try to find a reference point and then poke the hook out earlier than I think I need to. If those are heavier jigs it doesn't really matter as much.

>>1033095
60lbs is overkill, but definitely feasible. It's hard on your bow though, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>1032900
A bass under some topwater weeds in like 6 inches of water off the bank snatched one when I was just jigging it along the canal's bank.

Was good enough to entice a quick bite
>>
File: download (4).jpg (7KB, 400x126px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
7KB, 400x126px
>>1032835
This is another good jerkbait. Called a rapala floating minnow, in rainbow trout color, I think.
>>
>>1032835
That would dive pretty deep judging from the bill though. I'm not sure it's good to use from shore unless you have a 10+ ft drop off somewhere from shore.
>>
>>1033128
Eh looks like it only dives 5-6 feet and I'm a big fan of contacting the bottom when fishing cranks.
>>
>>1033125

They're my go to lure. Only I use the black/silver and black/gold ones. Expensive as shit though. They're made of balsa while most other lures are made of plastic.
>>
File: corp.jpg (883KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
corp.jpg
883KB, 1600x1200px
>>1032898
>>1032902
yeah, its not about hp, its about how its applied, and really, offroad, you dont want too much power or you'll just spin the tires. and the s 10 is a cracking little truck, my dad had a long bed with a cover on it, and it was sweet. i was planning on fixing it up and throwing a matress in the back for long trips to save on lodging (all you do is pull over, pull some fuzes, move your shit to the cab, and if the police bother you tell them it wont start and youll fix it in the morning)
>>1032914
buy a cabellas 3 forks/prestige plus fly rod/reel combo in 6 weight on sale for 60-70 usd, a couple of 3x leaders, and some 3x tippet on a spool, then buy a couple of flies, i reccomend foam terrestrials, and fish for bluegill on still water, then as your skills progress that 6 weight will be just fine to go after trout, bass, small pike, small carp (about the size of pic related should be fine) then if you decide you want some more specialty rods, you can get a 3 or 4 weight for smaller trout, and panfish, or you can get an 8 weight for bigger pike and big carp, salmon/steelhead, and throwing bigger bass flies
dont get totally shitty gear for your first fly combo (thats why i reccomend the one i did) or it will be a lot harder than it has to be and youll wind up hating it. aside from that you can learn everything you need to know from youtube and orvis
>>
File: IMG_20170603_194848.jpg (259KB, 700x816px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170603_194848.jpg
259KB, 700x816px
>>1032910
I'm a fan of the bigger Keitech swimbaits, they are 4.8 inches long. Usually always have one tied on to start out with.
>my rigs this week
>>
>>1032774
Gimmick and you'll look retarded in it. Just learn how to handle a fucking canoe like a real man.
>>
>>1032774

I got enough issues with dropping fish and tackle over the sides without getting rid of the sides.

Also crazy how it's stable enough to stand up in when most kayaks that size by perception aren't.
>>
Can't figure out how bow fishing works am I retarded?
>>
>>1033198
Not real fishing and you'll be shunned by real sportsmen
>>
>>1033202
How is it not "Real fishing" you gotta aim a god damn fish and shoot the slippery bastard. plus its for survival stuff I take a bow and a full quiver of arrows when I go out.
>>
>>1033203
its only a 20pounder though barely a above a toy.
>>
File: IMG_20170607_105827250_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170607_105827250_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
You ever have one of those days guys?

>Start heading to lake later than I wanted.
>Get almost there and realize I forgot kayak paddle
>Turn around go back to get it
>Head back to lake
>Almost out of gas
>Afraid I run out and break down with all my fishing equipment in the back
>Leave lake to go get gas
>Construction on road delays me 10 minutes
>Finally get to lake
>Fish for about 30 minutes
>Huge tangle and knot pops up in reel
>Don't even get one bite
>Call it a day

On the flip side, it was really nice out.
>>
testin
>>
>>1033221
>Not using a .50cal semi auto to propel yourself.
Are you even trying?
>>
>>1033221
That was yesterday morning for me.
>drive 30 minutes to the only bait shop that sells minnows
>drive another 45 minutes from there to lake
>some dumb highschool bitch in a highschool-bitch-red Sunfire cuts me off doing 45+ over, swerve and slop water out of bait bucket all over cab of truck
>get to lake
>due to comparatively long drive and traumatic swerve over half the minnows are already belly up
>first cast a goose eats my minnow on the backswing, spend 20 minutes wrestling a throat hooked goose
>3 school buses show up full of gradeschoolers on a field trip
>immediately get swarmed, they wanna touch everything
>one kid literally pulls my tackle bag off my shoulder and gets hooked
>teacher/wrangler flips her shit at me
>fuck this
>pack up and leave
>dump remainder of minnows in lake right in front of the "dont dump bait in the lake" sign while giving them the stink eye
Out for about 2 hours and never even got a bait in the water.
>>
>>1033226
>>1033202
>>1033163
Looks like schools are closed for the summer again...
>>
>>1033236
Last time that happened I flashed my rifle and everyone stayed sounds edgy I know but only way to get them to fuck off. what did they teacher say to you?
>>
>>1033241
:( the barret thing was a joke anon and probably more suited to /k/ than /out/ also anon I'm still in school got exams at the end of the month
>inb4 underage
I am 18 I'm in grade 12
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>1033202
Kek kys
>>
File: wat.jpg (117KB, 1280x856px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
117KB, 1280x856px
>>1033236
>goose steals bait
>grade schoolers running amok
Where the fuck are you fishing, a damned city park? holy shit
>>
>>1033202
Bowfishers are cool, and they're just shooting trash-tier fish like carp and gar anyways. They aren't bothering you with your Hellokitty Zebco spincast and bobber set.
>>
>>1033270
>Hellokitty Zebco spincast and bobber set.
You only wish you knew how to fish with Hello Kitty gear.
https://youtu.be/8TATlQfDbyY
>>
>>1033268
County park, but yes.

Only place to fish around here that doesn't 100% require a boat or owning your own farm pond.
>>
>>1033267
>AMS
ew. Literally the only good thing they make are the safety slides.
>>
>>1033328
Their reel is fine imo. I have a Mathews bow, so I can't comment on any other AMS stuff
>>
>>1033270
That's what I am planning on shootin. I just don't know what gear is required and what is optional like do I need a bow reel? or a new arrow rest? do I get 1 fishing arrow or 10?
>>
Why do bassfags think that they need to have baitcasting reels when you can fish the surf with a spinning reel? Legitimate question.
>>
>>1033338
>Can use heavier line
>more drag (for pulling fish out of cover not the fish itself)
>better distance
>better accuracy
>higher gear ratios

In my opinion baitcaster are:
>more comfortable
>much much better for throwing heavy lures
>>
>>1033335
Cajun's reel is better built, the same general design, and around $20 cheaper most places.

AMS fish points suck compared to Cajun, which suck compared to Muzzy (but both the AMS and the Cajun are ~600% cheaper than Muzzy). AMS's fish-arrow-specific rests are junk and should be avoided at all costs.
>>
>>1033338
Because for any given drag weight or line capability the low-profile baitcaster will be smaller and lighter.

Because they cast farther, more accurately, and with less/no line twist.

Because they have higher gear ratios.

Because they're over-all far more compact, meaning they fit in cars and on boats better.
>>
>>1033338
Surf fish is doable with pretty light tackle at times. There's no cover so you can take your sweet time getting fish in. Socal has no big, strong fish in the surf other than shark and ray ( but those are fished by soaking rather than lure) so everyone uses light tackle for surf fishing most of the time. Max people use for line here is #20 braid just to make sure you don't lose a $20 lure when casting or snag on kelp. Many use #8-10 lb mono and some even go down to #4

Also, spinning is comfy with surf fishing since strongwind doesn't fuck your shit up and you can easily open them for cleaning frequently.
>>
>>1033338
They think people will see them and think "Damn, that guy is using a baitcaster. What a badass"

When in reality people don't even know or care.
>>
>>1033366
In reality they we be looking at the guy shooting arrows at a fish.
>>
>>1033366
>>1033379
They are looking at the guy that painted snoopy on his wal mart ugly stick spinning combo wearing waders on land in summer and smells of piss.
>>
File: PicsArt_06-07-05.34.54.jpg (43KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_06-07-05.34.54.jpg
43KB, 960x720px
Night time is the right time.
>>
>>1033385
i kekeled a bit.
>>
>>1033391
From the thumbnail I had thought you started adding a tiny party hat to the catfish.
>>
File: 20170607_165823.jpg (4MB, 2267x3493px) Image search: [Google]
20170607_165823.jpg
4MB, 2267x3493px
Gorgeous creek bass
>>
File: IMG_5377.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5377.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
I tried skid. I walked the entire length of public water for that area (7 miles back and forth) and all I got was minnows and fall fish. A lot of fall fish. Idk what I'm doing wrong or if there is even any trout in here. I find it hard to believe I couldn't catch a single one when they said they just stocked this creek on the 2nd of this month.

I used a small Aberdeen hook with a split shot 7-8 inches above the hook and then a float farther up varying depending on the depth of the area.
>>
>>1032774
How much?
>>
>Bepis

Post pic of coffee grill.
Btw I as well am addicted to Coffee. It's what's getting me thru Vet-school
>>
are iguanas invasive to florida?
all the canals by my house have hundreds of them. i wannna know if i should start killin em
>>
>>1033409
Using too big of a hook.

Get a size 12 baitholder hook. They're about the size of a micro sim card if smaller. Cover it with power bait and let it sit in the water for about 10-20 seconds to let the scent travel down the current. Then throw it down current.

I do this all the time in streams around stocked ponds here and catch more trout than sitting on the bank at the pond.

Meal worms are a good live bait to use. Maybe get a size 10 or 8 hook for those. I like to let them float. It's fun to see trout come up and snatch them off the top. Cast them up stream and let it drift down to you, then re cast.
>>
>>1033505
Sell them to trailer trash Mexicans up north. I grew up in a trailer park full of Mexicans in Virginia and just about every Mexican in that trailer park had a pet iguana.
>>
>>1033511
Do the same with the plecos
>>
>>1033505
Yes they are, and yes you should.
Pretty please with sugar on top, kill the fuck out of them.
>>
File: svKG5Nr.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
svKG5Nr.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>1032766
Is there anything you can't catch on a Beetle Spin?
>>
>>1032864
You need to lurk moar then
>>
File: IMG_5381.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5381.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1033508
Halfway through I switched to a size 8 hook which was much smaller than the Aberdeen. The worm covered the entire hook entirely. Every time I found somewhere that looked good the fall fish would grab it almost instantly and keep picking at it until one got hooked
>>
>>1033526
a gf :(
>>
>>1033539
Powerbait is so lame though. The only reason I was using worms was to find a trout so then I could switch to softplastics, spinner, and harbaits but I couldn't find or see a single one. Granted powerbait would probably have been better than worms for finding one but oh well
>>
>>1033539
>I hate catching fish and having fun
Get out
>>
Any saltwater guys here on the east coast?

What type of rod (power, action, lure/sinker rating) should I be getting for an all around rod to catch striper, flounder, bluefish, drum, etc.
>>
>>1033526
Mullet.

Lake sturgeon.

Creek chub.
>>
>>1033551
A medium-heavy spinning rod that's at least 6'6" will do anything but black drum and trophy sized stripers.
>>
>>1033551
yea im saltwater. where are you fishing? and are you using bait or artificials? theres just so many different ways you can fish for them i need to know more details before i can recommend something
>>
>>1033558
it can definitely handle a drum or striper you just need to know how to use your drag. honestly 6'6 is useless unless youre on a boat. if you want an all around rod id at least go with 8ft
>>
>>1033567
>at least 6'6"
Longer is always better but a 6'6" rod will handle boat, flats, inshore, and pier fishing just fine. Basically anything but surf fishing.

And note I said "black drum". The ones that get up to 100lbs and average around 50. It's PROBABLY doable, if you're willing to kill the fish in the process of fighting it for forever, but it's not a good idea.
>>
>>1033585
It's cheap entertainment for families that almost never have significant quantities of disposable income.

I will say I'd much rather see them than what I see:
>go to county park early in the morning to avoid the hordes of screaming children
>30 middle-aged Bosnians clogging an entire shorline fishing for catfish, breaking basically every fishing law there is (10+ poles per person, well over catch limits, no license, minnow/crawfish traps in the water) chain-smoking off-brand cigarettes
Last time I went to a county park one guy had 38 catfish spread across 8 jumbo fish baskets. Daily limit is 4. He had 17 poles in the water plus 7 yo-yo reels tied to a tree and was actively throwing a cast net.

These people are the reason the conservation department has to re-stock the catfish every month, and why you'll never catch a catfish over 20".
>>
File: fickr.jpg (42KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
fickr.jpg
42KB, 480x320px
>>1033163
>canoe
>real man

KeK'd
>>
File: IMAGE_21098.jpg (148KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAGE_21098.jpg
148KB, 1000x1000px
>>1033338
I notice lots of fishermen using conventional reels as apposed to spinning reels in the surf. Why dont they use spinning reels? Legitimate question.
>>
>>1033589
People have no respect for the environment and especially fish. Every single person walking past me on the trail that gets into a conversation with me will always ask me if I take my catches home. Does nobody practice catch and release anymore? What the fuck.

And nothing irritates me more than people littering, which fishermen around me do without second thought.
>>
>>1033593
Stronger/smoother/more reliable drag at any given price point, less bulk, no line twist, greater line capacity, handles >20lb mono better.
>>
>>1033594
>Every single person walking past me on the trail that gets into a conversation with me will always ask me if I take my catches home

I get this a lot too

>littering
Have damn near got in fights over this kek
>>
>>1033585
I'm in a relationship with a black girl who goes fishing with me. Thanks for the racism, dickhead.

Then again, I'm not a trashy pond scum jackoff and my girlfriend is a well educated RN.

>>1033589
This and littering drive me fucking nuts. I've taken to bringing trash bags and a foam cooler with me to load up all the extra trash I find. I also hate little shit stain kids who throw their line right over mine when the pier isn't even fucking crowded.

>>1033593
Longer casts and better for jigging heavy lures.
>>
>>1033602
>>1033594
I get asked that a lot as well lol. I usually say, "it depends". I'm always prepared to kill and keep my catch but I really prefer catch and release.
>>
File: 132 Jun. 07 19.21.jpg (97KB, 489x734px) Image search: [Google]
132 Jun. 07 19.21.jpg
97KB, 489x734px
>>1033424
about the same as a kayak. I demoed one last weekend it was cool. you can sit up high on the back or low in the seat or stand up and paddle. the rep was telling me there's a peddle assist model coming out.
>>
>>1033593
Because I touch myself.
>>
File: IMG_3367.jpg (130KB, 640x646px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3367.jpg
130KB, 640x646px
What is this? Caught 2 tonight, the other one looked really goldin color
>>
File: wut.jpg (48KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
48KB, 960x540px
>>1033409
nightcrawler/redworms and a float
cast up current and let it tumble down past you

fly and float can fish the same method

did you wade this river?
>>
>>1033615
Looks to be a fish.
>>
>>1033615
White perch (Morone americana).
>>
>>1033619
Hm. I'll have to look that one up, not familiar with it.

>>1033625
I thought so. But I didn't know they could be goldish in color
>>
File: AGE_3dP.jpg (731KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
AGE_3dP.jpg
731KB, 2048x1152px
>>1033585
>nigga mad he dont got a black bitch to go catch bluegills with..

Lemme axe you doe, Do you really see white supremacy making a comeback in a predominately multiracial world?

>>1033611
thanks for sharing that. Also, nice dubs bro, they strengthen the faggotry in your post.

here's a pic of a 3d printed fly reel.
>>
>>1033630
3D printend fly reel? I'd fish with it.
>>
>>1033565
Mostly lures but probably some cut bait like frozen squid and small baitfish. I'd probably be fishing for striped bass, bluefish, and flounder most of the time.
>>
>>1032813
No they are disturbingly long, my wife doesn't even keep her nails that long, and she has long painted nails.
>>
>>1033616
nightcrawler/redworms and a float
cast up current and let it tumble down past you

That's exactly what I did for almost the entire stretch of the creek

>did you wade this river?
Yeah
>>
>>1033593
I've seen them use both, but always conventional when surf fishing sharks.
>>
File: bu g.jpg (273KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
bu g.jpg
273KB, 960x720px
>>1033636
planters usually stay near the place they were dumped for a while then disperse. do you know where they got dumped?
>>
File: IMG_5380.jpg (806KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5380.jpg
806KB, 4032x3024px
>>1033643
Further up stream, but I can't fish up there. I fished the first bit of public water downstream of that. Should I have gave it more time? It's been five days. The water was pretty high as well idk if that means anything in how they move
>>
File: images (1).jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>1032766
>Bouncing and twitching Fluke Jr across bottom of pond.
>Occasionally feel pecks, but never anything substantial.
>Pull one up without a tail.

Bluegills, right?
>>
When a rod says that it's rated for a certain line weight, does it actually mean that weight or the diameter? Like, if a rod say that it's rated for 2-6 pound test line, could I use 10 pound test braid, since it has similar diameter to 4 pound test mono/fluoro?
>>
>>1033648
Weight. If you put 100lb braid on an Ultralight rated for 6-10lb, the rod is going to snap before the line breaks.

Diameter only has to do with the reel.
>>
>>1033647
Most likely. It could in theory be a confused bass thinking its a craw and trying to nip the claws off, but if you've been letting it sit when you get bit and there hasn't a been a bass it's probably gills.

>>1033648
Line test is just a suggestion in general. The only time you really have to follow the rating is with microguides.
>>
>>1032774
>live in gator country
>get new fancy libtard yak
>take it for 1st test ride in okefenokee swamp
>legs are too exposed
>ride past gators like i normally do in other yaks
>...
>missing for over a week
>...
>...
>...
>>
>>1033658
if i lived in gator country i wouldn't kayak ever

also I'd always be carrying at least 3 guns
>>
>>1033522
i am planning to start killing them. i am going to make a gig to spear them with. just wondering, do they do anything to hurt the environment or are they mainly just a nuisance? and is there anywhere i can sell them?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>1033125
>>1033137

What's so great about Balsa? Just curious.
>>
>>1033633
get a 8-9ft rod that is around 15-40 class range more or less. you should be able to throw 1-4oz on there. that is good for throwing larger lures like poppers and diamond jigs for blue fish and stripers. and it should be able to throw out a smaller bottom bait like squid. i honestly recommend getting 1 rod for lures. and 1 for bait. which is more ideal because you can get a perfect setup for both.
>>
>>1033630
those fly reels are actyally pretty cool
>the one has a crab presentation on it
why do i feel like that drag isnt good enough to handle saltwater?
but for trout it would probably be fun, and i'd buy one if the price was right
>>1033632
+1
>>1033409
thats odd. well you were getting fish, you were doing something right, but no trout? maybe they're just shut down because they were just stocked and still getting used to it
try again in like a week
>>1033535
try the flies next time, id say size 8 or 10 wolly buggers, either olive or black
>>1033557
>mullet
snag them
>lake sturgeon
why would you fish for them when you can fish for catfish and get a good fight and a fish you can actually take with you?
>creek chub
they'll hit it if theyre in the right mood
>>1033646
high murky water is never good to fish in. i'd say give it a week or two then go back
>>1033647
sounds like it
>>
>>1033648
10 should be okay but its still way over kill. even 8 is plenty. your rod will break before the 10 does. id put 4-6lb braid on a rod like that. try berkley nanofil or powerpro.
>>
>>1033680
>your rod will break before the 10 does
This isn't true for any rod that isn't Walmart tier. There's also no way he'll put 10lbs of pressure on the rod unless he's being reckless.
>>
>>1033684
exactly. thats why there is no point in fishing 10lb line on a 2-6 rod
>>
>>1033688
There's no reason not to though. I personally hate using braid lighter than 10# test.
>>
>>1033693
it makes a huge difference when using light jigs like 1/32oz, 1/16oz. some days when you have wind, current, or waves. the 10lb will not be able to sink as easy and your jig will just drag on top.
>>
>>1033125
literally what i have on my rod right now. Always get bites on the river bank. top choice anon
>>
File: 1476463549053.jpg (97KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1476463549053.jpg
97KB, 640x640px
How do I not be a bitch when handling fish? It feels like no matter what I do I can't grab a fish without getting cut up or roughed up. They always seem to get the upper hand and start finning out and flopping about.

I mean I can harvest chickens just fine from coop to block to pot to freezer. I can ring a turkey's neck perfectly. Field dressing a deer is a piece of cake. I can do all the hands on shit when it comes to hunting, but as soon as these slimy fucks get close to me I 100% bitch out and end up putting on rubber gloves.

Meanwhile my friends reach in and pull fish out like they are pros or some shit.

What the fuck is wrong with me.
>>
>>1033706
you usually have to grab the fish in one motion. start from the front of the head and move your hand down the fish while gently grasping it. this will comb the fins down so they will not prick you. this works for most smaller fish. fish with bigger mouths and no teeth you can grab them by the lip and if they are big you also support the belly. and for catfish you gotta grab in front of the top dorsal fin and behind the 2 pectoral fins
>>
File: buhbye.jpg (442KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
buhbye.jpg
442KB, 1920x1440px
>>1033674
its buoyancy and its ease of carving.

>>1033706
gentle yet firm...
>>
>>1033551
If you are looking for an inexpensive rod I'd recommend the 8ft South Bend shredder spinning rod
>>
>>1033680
It was merely an example but thank you, that answered my question perfectly
>>
>>1033698
I haven't noticed much of a difference honestly. If anything the lighter braid floats in the wind more. I think anon should try both and see what works for him.

I'm just saying the ratings really don't mean much as far as what braid you should put on there. I look at how much my reel can hold and how much the diameter of the line will affect casting distance before I worry about what the rod says.

>>1033792
What rod do you want to put braid on? If it's something like a MH casting rod it won't hurt it to put 30# or higher braid on.
>>
>>1033814
That's actually exactly what I was wondering but I figured the lighter line would have been a better example. The rod I'm looking at (St. Croix Premier casting MH) says 10-20 pound line but I know that 30 pound braid is around the same diameter as 14 pound mono
>>
File: IMG_20170607_125659240.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170607_125659240.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
Those shitty marabou jigs I made got me a good smallie. I'll have to use a smaller jig however, 1/8 oz falls to quickly for rivers.
Also came back to the same pool of a river and grabbed the same lmb.
>>
File: IMG_20170607_093708966.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170607_093708966.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
>>1033819
No head cement either, and they were fine. I'll post the next batch.
>>
>>1033674
>What's so great about Balsa? Just curious.

It's what allows the lures to float so well and have such tight action in the water. I would assume that plastics with comparable properties would be too expensive.

Downside is that the lures are already pretty damn expensive (7+ bucks even for ones sized for panfish) and relatively fragile compared to the plastic ones.
>>
>>1033706

Get a lipper.
>>
>>1033589
So click a couple pics and send it to the local Fish & Game office. Make sure to include his license plate number along with when, where, and what time of day you found him doing what he did.
Those rules are there so YOU can enjoy fishing too, they don't mean anything if they're not enforced, and there will never be enough fish & game officers to enforce everything. They rely on people like you to tell them when there's a problem. If you don't, then you shouldn't complain about how bad things are.
It sucks having to be that guy, but sometimes you have no choice if you want to keep fishing.
Children think someone else will always be there to come along and set things right. Adults know that our actions are what build the world we live in, and sometimes YOU are the cavalry that has to come in and set things right.
>>
File: IMG_5828.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5828.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>catching bass
>some dick head walks right up next to me and tries to cast into my spot
>snags a tree instead
>tries and fails to retrieve his lure for a half hour
>the moment he gives up, I retrieve the lure with a branch
>as he begins thanking me I slip the lure into my coat pocket and piss my pants
>he calls me a super duper uber goober and waddles away as fast as his waders will allow
>>
>>1033153
>crankbait on braid
A-A-Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>1033630
>3D printed fly reel
But why?
You can get brand new fly reels made out of solid aluminum, ambidexterous, WITH drag system, in the common FF sizes for less than $15 each-with shipping from wherever they're at-if you look.

And used shit is even cheaper.
>>
>>1033848
i mean, why 3-d print anything you can just buy? why build your own anything when you can just buy it?
its all about the fun of it, i mean, if you can have fun creating something, then have fun using it, why not?
>>
>>1033672
They eat native lizards and snakes that are already under assault from other invasive species.
>>
>>1033674
Balsa is incredibly light and buoyant for its size. It's also what Rapala's founder Lauri Rapala used when he carved his first-ever minnow lure, so it's a prestige thing for them. Their minnows and Shad Raps are their flagship lures-the ones that built the whole company-so they're going to keep making them out of balsa for the rest of time because, by god, that's what their founder did.
And it's still why people pony up the extra cash for Rapala minnow lures today-they want to get the real thing. If people wanted a minnow made out of plastic, they'd get a Rebel minnow for 1/2 the price. It's basically a direct copy made of injection molded plastic.
But they don't. Rapalas are literally everywhere and almost always outsell rebel minnows when placed next to each other.
>>
File: IMG_20170608_104736667_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170608_104736667_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
2nd batch. I got whip finishing by hand down.

Also smaller jig heads so I don't miss a dozen of sunnie bites next time.
>>
File: IMG_20170507_151917.jpg (178KB, 517x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170507_151917.jpg
178KB, 517x918px
>>1033615
They're typically small. Here's my biggest.
>>
>>1033876
Certainly put up a harder fight than other panfish of similar size. Felt bad releasing them because they're invasive and terrorize the local bass, sunfish, and even musky population by eating their eggs. I wasn't quite sure if they were white perch or giant shiners and I was not about to leave harmless (albeit giant) baitfish for the birds
>>
File: rigd.jpg (91KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
rigd.jpg
91KB, 720x960px
are realistic plastic baits a meme?
>>
>>1033905
Doubt it. If a giant bright pink worm can catch fish, that certainly will as long as you use it right
>>
>>1033858
>U-using a 3D Printer is b-building it m-myself!
No, it is not.
You may be designing it (or maybe not, I'm sure the files for 3D printing a fly reel are out there somewhere to be downloaded) but you are most definitely NOT making it yourself-a 3D printer is. That's like somebody in China using a CNC machine to spit out a fly reel and calling it hand made. The only differences between the two are the location where it is made and the person pushing the button. If that's building it yourself, then everything ever is hand made and the term is utterly meaningless.

Neither is it free. You are still paying for the material used in the 3D printer, and often that is much more expensive than just buying something common like a basic fly reel off the shelf. That cost may already be paid, but it is there nonetheless.

If you have a 3D printer and want to play with your toys, go right ahead. But don't try and make it sound like you're hand crafting it. You're not cutting gears, attaching handles, fitting the foot and tempering springs. You're not even fitting pre-made pieces together from a kit and making sure everything's trued up. All you're doing is loading a program and pushing a button. Maybe it is a custom made one-off, but YOU didn't make it.
>>
>>1033844
Literally nothing wrong with that if you have a good reel with smooth drag and set your drag right. Just don't set the hook too hard since fishes always hook themself well with crank anyway

I prefer braid for crank since they are heavier and expensive so I don't feel like losing them with mono
>>
>>1033818
Yeah you'll be fine with whatever you decide to put on there. Casting reels are much much less effected by line diameter so you won't lose a lot of distance using heavier line and it won't hurt the rod.

>>1033844
If you have a good cranking rod setup there's nothing wrong with that
>>
>>1033858
Sorry to unload on you like >>1033912, Skid, but that exact argument triggers me hard.
I play music, and you can't believe how many times somebody goes:
>Why does anybody even bother to play an instrument anyway?
>I can put together something on my computer that is better than that shit!
...and almost always it's coming from someone who isn't doing it themselves. They always want to find some magic way of doing things that renders it effortless and free, when in fact the opposite is true.
>>
>>1033937
Why make your own music when you can just buy a CD from the store.
>>
File: IMG_20170608_112842922_HDR.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170608_112842922_HDR.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1033221
I was this guy yesterday

Much better day today
>>
File: IMG_20170608_112859372pepe.jpg (107KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170608_112859372pepe.jpg
107KB, 480x640px
>>1033944
Sorry about quality. Wish I had a phone with a better camera.

The camera to take selfies is very bad quality, but I was by myself. But phone was cheap so can't complain too much.

Anyways, I love fishing!
>>
>>1033941
Because sometimes you want to evoke feelings that aren't found in other songs.

Plus, if enough other people like your stuff, you can have YOUR OWN CD in the store...
>>
>>1033948
But you still start off by learning to play the songs that you like then start making your own music. So why can they not use a template to learn how it is done first then make changes and design thier own fly reel?
>>
>>1033895
>>1033876
that looks to be a white perch
>>1033905
those are plastic?
>>1033912
even if all it is is "hey i found this code on the internet, and plugged it in to my 3 d printer" you still made it. you may not have put in much research, or much work, but it was still you who made the plastic filament in to a fly reel. and who cares if it wasnt hand-made? i never even said hand-made, just made yourself. if i have a cnc machine and plug in all the dimensions for an engine block, its still me who made the engine block, so why would it be different for a 3-d printer making a fly reel?
>>1033937
im pretty sure this means we're on the same side? making it yourself is more fun, is what i was getting at, even if all you're doing to "make it" is plugging dimensions in to a 3 d printer and waiting
>>
>>1033948
But I get your point, and that's why I said what I said about common reel sizes all the way up there at the beginning of this.

If you're doing something new and exciting with fishing and need a reel that fits EXACTLY what you're doing in a way that no reel on the market does, then go right ahead. But if what you need is a 5wt general purpose fly reel with a click drag, just go to the store-it's already been hashed out long ago.
>>
>>1033953
If he wants to get into reel building, that's exactly what he should do.
But if building his own reel is incidental to what he REALLY wants to do-if he really just wants to fish-then it's just a sidetrack from his real goal, and he should treat it as such.
Now don't get me wrong-sometimes those sidetracks work out great, but sometimes they don't. It's really up to the individual, how motivated he is and how others respond to what he's done.
That said, Fishing reels in general seems to be a pretty full market, and breaking out in a huge way pretty remote given all the competition.
>>
>>1033837
Oh I do report them every time I see them.

I have NEVER seen a game warden, park ranger, or county cop respond. I have NEVER heard of anyone being ticketed/arrested for a wildlife code violation anywhere near this area for anything other than hunting/firearm poaching.
>>
>>1033868
>Shad Rap
>balsa
They're plastic yo. The only balsa lures Rapala still makes are the bigger floating lures (F-series, F7 and larger) and the Balsa X-Treme series.
>>
File: taters.jpg (56KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
taters.jpg
56KB, 960x720px
>>1033959
>those are plastic?
yes, very realistically painted plastics.

>>1033646
i would hit up all the spots you can fish on that river. google map it and look for obvious spots that look fishy. wheres the river run to?
>>
File: flies.jpg (102KB, 498x700px) Image search: [Google]
flies.jpg
102KB, 498x700px
>>1034057
holy shit those are incredible. i mean im sure they're a meme, i mean, look at these flies that are proven fish catchers, but still, those are cool
>>
>call the pier
>they're catching huge snook
>I have to work

I hope I can land one this weekend.

Also, it's time for pepsidink to become pepsilunker. Snook are moving towards the inlets and beaches to start spawning, they're eating like crazy. Now is the time to catch fat mama snook so go get them Pepsi.
>>
>>1034093
> it's "getting Pepsi to fish saltwater" season again
>>
>>1034102
He's going tomorrow
>>
>>1034017
I called the cops on some chinks at my favorite forest preserve because they were setting down nets/traps to catch Crawfish... which is illegal in my area.

The absolute madmen actually came within 20 minutes and rounded them up to write a hefty ass ticket and took all their fishing gear they had brought with them. lol
>>
>>1034122
10/10
>>1034114
kek
>>
>>1033868
Rapala have plenty of plastic stuff now too like the shadow rap series.

I wonder what kind of materia the more expensive hard bait like lucky craft and mega bass are made from. Balsa wood is nice but their lightness also make them not good for casting
>>
>>1033676
Can you recommend a rod and reel setup for each in $100-150 range for each?
>>
>>1034130
i've heard these are pretty good http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-combos-spinning-combos-penn-fierce/penn-fierce-ii-live-liner-combo/1405287.html in the 6000 reel on the 9 foot rod should be really nice for soaking baits, then the 6000 on the 7 foot rod would be good for flicking lures. fill them up with some heavy braid and maybe some backing underneath and you should be set. heck, i wouldnt put it past these combos to even handle sharks 6-7 feet
>>
File: IMG_5390.jpg (938KB, 3048x2285px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5390.jpg
938KB, 3048x2285px
Woke up expecting to work but I ended up not having to. I seized the opportunity to get out on the big lake, my home lake, for the first time with the new boat. There was zero wind so the entire lake was glass. My buddy came with and we caught a few of everything but smallmouth. I sat and bed fished a true giant of a smallie and even hooked up with it by pestering it with a weightless fluke on its bed. I really fucked up and fought the fish terribly and on its seconds jump it threw the hook. We saw probably 20 or so other giant ass bass. Looked like smallmouth but I'm not positive. We also saw a big school of absolutly massive carp. So big that if I managed to hook one with my fly rod I wouldn't have stood a chance it would have broke my rod with ease. They must have been 30-40 pounds easy. After we saw that we went into a bay and fished for some big bluegills but ended up catching a slew of perch and short but chunky large mouth. I ended the day by throwing a frog on this little isolated cluster of Lilly pads and had a few blowups that I thought for sure were bass. I put on a popper and sure enough one blew up and I got hooked up. Ended up being a fucking pickerel of all things. First time ever catching a pickerel on top water. My buddy brought his nice camera so I don't have an pics besides this one from when we got done. Such a nice day on the water even though we didn't get any big ones
>>
>>1034144
>absolutly massive carp
>must have been 30-40 pounds easy
god i would love to hook up on that. 8 weight fly rod, hella backing, and 0x tippet, just give all ive got for that big ass carp. probably would have wound up nearly spooled, breaking him off, then reeling everything in in shame
>>
>>1034146
Skid they were fucking huge. Probably the biggest carp I've ever witnessed. Must have been a school of 7-8 of them all just casually hanging out in the shallow area where grass was growing up out of the water. The slightest movement once they got within sight sent them all flying though
>>
>>1034148
yeah, carp are super spooky, it doesnt take much to make them all clear out, and thats part of the fun
>>
File: IMG_5395.jpg (461KB, 2048x1361px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5395.jpg
461KB, 2048x1361px
Didn't know he even got this shot but this was the pickerel that I got on the frog and the pic was taken when he jumped while I was fighting it
>>
File: IMG951580.jpg (453KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG951580.jpg
453KB, 1600x1200px
I'm in love with zoom flukes now.
>>
>>1034174
We told you.
They're awesome.
>>
I like think of skid as a cross between Winnie the Pooh and Dante Hicks from Clerks, a cross between bumbly fuck up and world has it out for you.

It is like I am just waiting to hear that a 50 pound carp took his fly but when he set the hook it pulled out and hooked him in the nuts.
>>
If I spray paint my kayak a flat black or flat green, will it damage it? Like pollute the water or anything?

Is there even a point in doing it from a fishing standpoint?
>>
>>1034239

It'll be fine, but it won't really matter to fish. It'll matter to other people for safety reasons. Or birds and other animals if you ever plan on hunting or something.
>>
>>1034239
Fishing it probably wouldn't matter, but duck hunting you'll appreciate the lo-viz paint job.
And the paint won't contaminate the water as long as you let the paint fully cure before soaking it in the water.
>>
File: HY3HN6u.jpg (171KB, 540x684px) Image search: [Google]
HY3HN6u.jpg
171KB, 540x684px
>>1034144
>big lake
is that the actual name of the lake
also nice boat
>>
>>1034241
>>1034242
Thanks
>>
>>1034222
Ive used them on and off since winter. Finally understand why weightless is better.
>>
>>1034234
>a cross between bumbly fuck up and world has it out for you.
i mean, you're not wrong
>>1034234
>a 50 pound carp took his fly but when he set the hook it pulled out and hooked him in the nuts
i doubt that would happen, more likely would be i set the hook, rod snaps, and shards of carbon get in my eyes
>>
>>1034167
i dont know how i missed this
that actually is a pretty cool picture, if the fish was straightened out a little more, and a little more on profile, it would look like something out of a fishing magazine
8.9/10 picture
>>
File: IMG_5399.jpg (66KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5399.jpg
66KB, 600x400px
>>1034243
No lol
>>
File: da2.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
da2.gif
2MB, 500x281px
I'm just wondering, what do you guys think about giving people fish even though said fish is really "undersized"?

>fishing a pier
>catching mostly sand trout and some tiny rat reds among other typical gulf pier fish
>old ass lady comes up to me
>has a 5 gallon paint bucket filled with nothing but trout with fucking no ice or coolers
>smells like absolute shit
>gets pissed and goes on a rant because i'm "throwing away fish that she eats for dinner" when I was releasing fish that were barely touching 10"

Just another reason I can't wait till I can get my boat and never have to deal with these faggots ever again.
>>
>>1034295
Tell the cunt to catch her own fish and not worry about what you do with yours.
>>
File: 20160921_153028.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160921_153028.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1034295
Asian people ask for fish whenever I go and clean them at my local pier. I sometimes give a fish if someone skunked. A undersized one never always release.
>>
>>1034295
Never ever ever.
>>
>>1034295
I'd give them undersized fish then call the game warden on them.
But I've never met someone who ask for fish, let alone see anyone be keeping undersized. Something to do with not fishing salt I guess.
>>
File: 1b280x72.jpg (149KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1b280x72.jpg
149KB, 1280x720px
>>1034295
tell them no.
>>
>>1033844
That's a Whopper Plopper you dingus. It's topwater and is best used with braid.
>>
>went night time spillway snook fishing
>caught one dink snook the whole time I was there
>guy next to me caught a 40" Fatass
Feels pretty bad tbqfh.
>>
>>1034534
thats motivation to get out there and go get a big fish, you know whey're there, time to get yours
>>
>>1034534
>went swimming onnabeach
>running, jumping, splashing
>dive in the water from knee-deep
>hit my head on a 3 foot long snook
>we both freak the fuck out
I've never tried to catch them but if they're all that stupid they should be pretty easy.
>>
>>1034536
Snook fishing is hard as fuck unless they're super active. I spent hours last time I was in Florida trying to catch one but I guess they had lock jaw that week
>>
>>1034539
Maybe you should try headbutting them instead
>>
>>1034315
>But I've never met someone who ask for fish, let alone see anyone be keeping undersized
My state has a minimum keep cutoff of 18" for all black bass species (LMB, SMB, spotted bass, rock bass, Kentucky bass), and a daily limit of 2. Minorities will keep every fish they catch. I've watched people leave the lakes with stringers of DOZENS of 10-14" LMB.
>>
>>1034544
I've seen Mexicans keep baby snook and tarpon. I'm gonna call the FWC on their ass if I ever see them again.
>>
>>1034545
I end up calling the law (park ranger, game warden, county cops) on someone pretty much every time I go hunting or fishing.

I've NEVER seen them respond. Similar story as >>1034017, they simply will not arrest or ticket a minority here and I've never seen a white person knowingly break the wildlife code.

>have state funded trout parks, since no native trout anywhere in state
>stocked rainbows and browns
>they require a daily permit plus regular fishing license plus trout stamp
>employees and sworn officers errywhere
>daily limit is 4
>no size limit on rainbows, browns must be 18"
>routinely watch families of minorities walk out with 3-4 stringers completely full of trout per person. Like, 400-500 trout across a family of 6
>walk right the fuck past the game warden
>game warden does nothing
>but the game warden will dead sprint halfway across the trout park with tape measure in hand when a white guy puts a brown on a stringer
>>
Do bass work well as fleshlights Skid?
>>
>>1034552
only when caught on a Pubeflyâ„¢
>>
File: image.gif (42KB, 446x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
42KB, 446x275px
>>1034554
I haven't been here in a while. Did skid tie a pube fly?
>>
File: 20170605_145650.jpg (766KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170605_145650.jpg
766KB, 2048x1152px
>>1034558
No, I did.
>>
>>1034563
kek have you caught anything with them?
>>
>>1034594
2 bluegill with the non-beadhead one in the 30 minutes I fished with it. Haven't tried the beadhead yet.

I really need different hooks if I'm gonna be using (any form of) human hair. Those're tied on a #16 scud hook because that's what I have.
>>
>>1033615
Nice bluegill.
>>
File: IMG_3394.jpg (139KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3394.jpg
139KB, 640x1136px
>>1034693
Thanks. In fact I got some gills today on something new I tried.

>be me
>have box of flies from years ago I got as a gift
>don't fly fish
>see many dink sunfish today, decide to get out ultralight rod
>REALLY small, don't know what to throw at them
>have an idea, drop shot rig- but with flies
>caught 12 fish myself, gf caught 4 same method
>>
File: IMG_0821.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0821.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
rate my walmart gear haul. just getting back into fishing
>>
For some reason I've gotten the idea that I want to attempt to catch a gigantic catfish.

I've probably been fishing 15 times in my life. The biggest thing I caught was mahi mahi when I went deep sea fishing.

Is this a terrible idea? Can I feasibly catch a massive catfish from land and with a budget of about $100?
>>
>>1034790
PS since you dudes are talking about poaching, here's a fun story from my old city about an Asian grocery store and its owners getting in massive trouble.

http://www.qconline.com/news/iowa/markets-people-charged-with-illegally-selling-fish/article_86917677-94b8-5687-936c-9f68b53a5a87.html

http://www.radioiowa.com/2002/12/03/undercover-operation-nets-illegal-sale-of-fish-in-des-moines/

>People illegally fishing
>Sell their catches the Asian grocery store
>Asian grocery store illegally sells them
>Big fines for all

Years after this happened I worked at an accounting firm that had David Luu as a client. He's a scumbag (not just because of the fishing) and I wish he were still in prison.
>>
>>1034790
Also the $100 budget is for bait, rod, reel, etc. I don't have any fishing gear these days.
>>
File: IMG_5407.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5407.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Found my replacement for that piece of shit Gander rod I snapped. Should have just gone with this to begin with since this is the rod I always wanted for an ultra light. Also got some more walleye stuff and some ribosomes for drop shotting for small mouth

Going to bring my boat up north with my buddy and fish two days on a small ish lake(~3 miles long). Should be able to slay the large mouth up there. I'll post pics if we can put it together
>>
File: IMG_5396.jpg (840KB, 2048x1362px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5396.jpg
840KB, 2048x1362px
>>1034810
>Ribosomes

Lmfao. Meant Roboworms

Pic related from yesterday on Oneida
>>
About to go pond fishing and need to buy more ball heads. Recommend me some good Zoom baits to try. For reference these bass love olive green colored baits.
>>
i got enough gear now. I just need to actually go out n fish. But I'm sourly needed here at the ashram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt4zQqndLdQ
>>
>>1034558
i've been trying to work out a pattern, its hard to work with. its curly so its unstackable, its sharp so heavy thread with minimal tension, and it doesnt flare at all, so its surprisingly unbuggy
>>1034552
i wouldnt know
>>1034814
flukes and lizards
>>
>>1034790
Yes
>>
File: IMG_5411.jpg (2MB, 2533x3809px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5411.jpg
2MB, 2533x3809px
>>1034837
Are these two cricket flys what you ment by a floating grasshopper?
>>
>>1034762
>ginormous snap swivel
>Mustad hooks
I'd rather smash my thumb with a hammer than use a Mustad hook, it's less likely to give me tetanus and about as sharp.

Other than that, GJ.
>>
>>1034517
>what are treble hooks
>>
>>1034840
Any recommendations for a setup?
>>
>>1034790

Easily. I use an old Shimano IX4000 reel and whatever rod (30 bucks total brand new) to catch 10 to 50lbs catfish, drum, and other fish all the time.

The key is learning to tire them out-letting them run as needed. Also, decent terminal tackle and proper landing makes a huge difference. Invest in a net and fish grips.

After that, just follow any catfish guide in youtube: Sharp size 1 to 5/0 circle hook on a mono leader with a strong barrel swivel and egg sinker. Bait with live or cut shad/bluegill/carp. Target cover, shade, and underwater terrain features. Don't just cast as far out as you can and wait 2 hours. Move after 15 minutes or so without a bite.

Most people tie crappy rigs with bad knots and after hooking the fish, they try to horse them in befote they tire and lift them out of the water by the line like a smaller fish. Ive caught several fish with broken leaders in their mouths.
>>
>>1034891
This.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 in 10 catfish I catch have a broken-off hook+line in their mouths. 99% of the ones I catch are under 5lbs since I fish ponds and lakes, and most of the time the line is thick mono that I'd guess is 15lb+.

People just suck at knots.
>>
Fuck weekends. I want to go fishing without a bunch of obnoxious normies around.
>>
>>1033712
That way to grab cats is kind of okay but a bad idea still. I've gotten nailed in the web between my thumb and index finger that way badly. The best I've found is trying go from the top down where you're holding down the dorsal and pectoral fins.
>>
>>1034951
So put a small rig in your car and fish on the weekdays after work. You'll be able to get some time on the water without fighting the insane crowds of the weekends.
>>
>>1034951
First Saturday after school let out for summer, I can't imagine how crowded the piers are going to be.
>>
>>1034975

I do fish during the week. I'm just regretting not going earlier today because now I won't want to go until monday.
>>
Anyone here /euronymph/?
>>
>>1034990
dafuq is a euronymph?
>>
File: hopper.jpg (10KB, 390x292px) Image search: [Google]
hopper.jpg
10KB, 390x292px
>>1034853
the big one is kinda, but i was imagining something a little bigger with a high vis spot (size 8 or 6 to really float the fuck out of a wooly bugger)
>pic related
>>1034990
i sorta do here and there, but not always
>>
File: rooski.jpg (34KB, 533x960px) Image search: [Google]
rooski.jpg
34KB, 533x960px
>>1034549
>san joaquin river
>loud russia fisherman
>russia is drunk
>crossing my line errytime he cast
>russia smiles calls me amigo
>smoke fatty with russia
>he kind coo for a russia
>russia catch sturgeon
>russia catch big pike minnow
>tell russia fish is illegal
>drunk russia is drunk
>russia dont give a fuk
>russia call me amigo
>russia a poacher
>use cdfw app report russia
>regular police drive up
>russia drunk snoring in chair
>i show license
>russia dont got shit
>officer check fish
>russia catch short green sturgeon
>overhear nigga got dem warrants
>officer take russia
>officer take russia fish
>finally quiet
>3am go to truck
>ice cold natty cold pastor burrito
>2 cars on bank
>usa and russia
>usa for the win

russia had a 9 under the front seat, a sack of weed, a crusty meth pipe, backpack, crazy looking rambo knife, stack of blank credit cards, party bag of smartfood and a magellan gps new in the box.

>fuck russia.
>fuck poachers
>point of the story
>russia is white
>russia is minority

mfw
>>
>>1035006
People who hold spinning rods like that deserve to be gassed.
>>
>>1035006
I have avoided smoking my entire life for health reasons but now it doesn't matter anymore. Reading this gave me cancer anyways
>>
>>1035006
I enjoyed this story and savoured the sentax especially.
>>
>>1034927

Bonus points if the line is bright green.
>>
>>1034927
They also use old as fuck mono because >you don't know what you're talking about.
>This stuff is still good.
>snap.exe
>>
Where do you guys store your fishing equipment when you live in a skyscraper and have no storage outside of your room. Do you use the fucking elevator all the time with your entire equipment?
>>
Fishing may have gotten me out of a bad depression, and saved my relationship with my gf. Things were getting pretty bad but this really got us closer together and being out in nature makes me very happy even when we don't catch anything. She watches YouTube videos sends me pics of lures knots you name it. We both are having a blast thank you to everyone answering my questions the last few week
>>
>>1035046
You do realize that the Mr Catfish stuff is just rebranded Trilene XT, right?
>>
>>1035066
While that does happen, I'd say most of the time their knot either failed or came untied.

I've literally seen people try to fish with granny and square knots holding their lures on. These are the people using 15-25lb mono because "lighter stuff breaks off" because they're using a knot with like 5% line strength.
>>
>>1035109
It's all fun and games until she out-catches you like my gf did last night. We went panfishing in the morning, I out caught her 12-4. We went out bassing later and she had me beat 2-0. Although I caught 3 sunfish and a white perch. It's nice watching them catch fish but it's slightly bittersweet when they out catch you
>>
>>1035158
eeeehhhhhh.....
>be married
>wife is deathly allergic to fish, shellfish, seaweed, and everything that's been in immediate contact with them
>wife is also a ginger and so white she legit gets moonburn
>HEY TAKE ME FISHING WITH YOU!
>fucking why? You can't do anything cuz you can't touch anything, and we can only be out like 15 minutes before you're burnt bad enough you're blistering even with long sleeves and SPF 80 sunblock
>>
>>1035166
Damn son I feel for you. Just take her along to watch on an overcast day and make her keep an epipen in close proximity at all times. She wants to be interested in what you are, take her with you
>>
>>1035158
Most times I bring somebody new with, they do better than me. I try and set them up the best way possible and show them the right spot and spend more time making sure they have a good time than trying to catch anything myself.
>>
I use an Ugly Stik. I know it's entry level, but I've never had a problem with it.
>>
>>1035211
Because you have never tried a Lightning Rodâ„¢
>>
>>1035218
How much better is it?
>>
>>1035211
most people on here use ugly stiks.
>>
>>1035230
Orders of magnitude in every category but durability, and about the same over all on durability.
>>
>>1035204
Did that. She wanted to actually fish, so I spent an hour doing nothing but baiting hooks and unhooking bluegill.

Despite going on an overcast evening she still got second degree sunburn over most of her body and ended up sick in bed for 3 days.
>>
>>1035265
You know you're still suppose to wear sunscreen on an overcast day right?
>>
>>1035247
+1. And it's the same price!

I mean not that it's some incredible $400 rod, but for the same money as an Ugly Stik, the Lightning Rod Shock is so much better in every way.

New bread coming
>>
>>1035283
bread in the oven!
>>
File: 1497113943233.jpg (141KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1497113943233.jpg
141KB, 600x800px
>>1035285
>>1035285
>>1035285
>>1035285
>>
>>1035281
She uses SPF 80 kids sunscreen, which was recommended by her doctor, and reapplies religiously. She also got burnt through a UPF 40 Columbia long sleeve shirt.
>>
Hey guys,

What line capacity and max drag should I be targeting for reel to go with a 6'6" light action rod that says it's for 2-8lb test line?

I'll be running braided 6lb or 8lb and fishing mostly for trout and panfish, but with the possibility of hooking into the occasional bass or other fish that might be lurking in lakes in the Western US?

I'm looking at two sizes of the same reel, and trying to stay fairly light and compact. Here's the manufacturers stats on each.

>MONO: 4/145, 6/110, 8/75 8.8lb Max Drag
>MONO: 6/240, 8/165, 10/115 15.4lb Max Drag
>>
>>1035207
Exactly this

When I do that, they have a good time. And when they have a good time, I have a good time.
>>
File: FullSizeR.jpg (693KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeR.jpg
693KB, 2048x1536px
>>1034078

Ye.
>>
>>1035313

Are you sure she isn't a vampire?
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.