[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 52

File: sqt2.jpg (170KB, 1023x560px) Image search: [Google]
sqt2.jpg
170KB, 1023x560px
A place to ask all your short questions on the subject of automobiles.

>Tip : A quick Google search may actually answer your question in a snap.

Also go through the thread to find any questions that you may have an answer to.

Have A Great Day!

Previous Thread - >>17730737
>>
File: FB_IMG_1503328718461.jpg (57KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1503328718461.jpg
57KB, 960x540px
So the wife wants a new exhaust system for pic related. Its a 2015 Durango r/t 5.7 awd. And I told her I'd look into it. I've had people say borla, flow master and corsa. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket exhaust systems? Anyone care to point me in the right direction?
>>
>>17753252
How often should you change tires on a car you rarely drive, but when you do, regularly drive over 100 mph?
>>
>>17753317
I have a Corsa, they are a high quality manufacturer. For mustangs at least borlas have some drone. Flowmaster isn't in the same league
>>
>>17753317
Browse youtube for videos where people have recorded thier exhaust note with that particular engine. That will give you an idea of what sounds the Best.
>>
>>17753324
Depends on the tire, on if they're being properly aligned and rotated, soft sports tires may last 10k to 15k miles like that, hard all seasons may last 20k
>>
>>17753317
An exhaust change for a crossover and for the wife? eww save that money you moron.
>>
>>17753348
>may last 10k to 15k miles like that
More concerned about age.
Car is so low mileage that tires are guaranteed to age out before I go through all of the tread.
Don't feel I have to dump them at 5 years, but need to do it before I pull a Paul Walker on a curve (9 years).
>>
>>17753252
i removed the valves from my engine but didn't know i should mark them beforehand. i just heard that i can run into problems if a valve from one cylinder ends up in another cylinder.

this is a 230.000km engine that had no problems when i ripped the head off to replace old seals and gaskets before i swap it into another car. (if that info helps)
>>
>>17753353
Orrrr... Now here me out. Money isn't an issue and I like to see my wife happy.
>>
>>17753342
I have listened to a few videos, from what I've heard. The sound is nice but what I'm also curious about durability and quality.
>>
>>17753317
flowmaster sounds nuts. i'd recommend getting a really quiet SUV or truck muffler to put under the middle

my brother has a 300c with true dual from the headers that join in an X-pipe where the suitcase muffler should be and has two Super 44 at the ends. sounds amazing but the interior noise is unbearable when the MDS(4 cylinder mode) kicks in.

don't ditch the resonators (end mufflers). they're specifically designed to make the 4 cyl mode sound like a v8. besides, i tried cutting them off only to find out that they barely dampen exhaust sound.
>>
>>17753444
Its like he's trying to talk to me I just know it.

Also trips confirmed.
>>
>>17753337
So is flow master good or bad when its not even in the same language
>>
>>17753431
>Money isn't an issue
Well then do what you want.
>>
>>17753517
I plan on it. I'm just asking for help since I'm out of my knowledge zone
>>
Which of these as a first car:

2002 e39 530d 180k km for 4k euro
2005 audi a3 2.0 tfsi 170k km with bi-fuel implant for 6k euro
2010 golf mk6 2.0 tdi (the one with the cheap interior) 170k km for 6.3k euro

"b-but anon those are all german!!!"
Yeah I know but Im Albanian, German cars are our thing no good civic or corollas here.
>>
Is neutral the same as holding the clutch all the way down
>>
>>17753252
There's gas leaking out of my carburator and on my spark plugs, what could be the cause of this?
>>
>>17754588
too much protein
>>
>>17754595
But my car needs the gainz
>>
What is the ideal way to come to a stop in a manual trans car?

>Suppose you are in 4th gear, you straightaway put into netral and brake.

>Downshift until 1st gear and then into neutral.

Or is there any other way?
>>
>>17754722
Downshifting and rev-matching is for the winter and on wet/icy roads.
There's no point not using the brakes when you've got the grip.
>>
>>17754722
I learned manual 2 years ago never drove anything since so i may be wrong but from what I remember
>brake a little
>clutch all the way in
>brake all the way in
>put it in neutral and hold it with brake no need to hold clutch or just hold it like that put it in first and go when u need to move again
>>
>>17754474
As far as freewheeling yes, but mechanically in neutral the gearbox input shaft is spinning but no gears are selected.
Clutch pedal down no longer spins the gearbox input shaft, but also applies pressure onto the clutch release bearing.
It's bad to keep the clutch pedal pressed for extended periods of time.
>>
when i learned driving there was this up hill i swear it was like 60 degree upward any more and it would be a wall
so even in first gear gas all the way down it wouldnt climb since my car was also slow (w123)
it would just spin in place
the instructer told me to press the clutch or something and in his traditional old guy saying this was "giving it air" the fuck is that? the fuck do u do in this situation?
>>
>>17753412
Just make sure there is good contact all the way around each valve when you grind them back into the valve seats.

If one isn't getting good contact easily then swap it for another until you get them all sealing.
>>
>>17754739
not him but doesn't rev matching increase the rpm like if you from 5th to first wouldn't it go to the red line?
>>
File: IMG_20170820_193634.jpg (234KB, 1365x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_193634.jpg
234KB, 1365x1024px
Anyone else get depressed when they keep having to repair their car? I've spent nearly every weekend for the last two months under this thing fixing something major. I just want to be driving.

Probably put $1500 in parts into it this year and I know I need to redo the timing chains next.
>>
>>17754769
>Handbrake pulled
>Clutch engaged
>1st gear
>with the clutch still engaged, floor it
>Release clutch just a little bit
>Handbrake up
>uphill you go

This is in a 60° hill, you're not supposed to floor it when the hill isn't that serious
>>
>>17753565
>>17753490
Flowmaster isn't on the same level in a bad sense, if I was you I would see if Basani makes an exhaust for it
>>
>>17754769
>>17754805
The most important thing, is relasing the clutch just a little bit while maintinig power with the accelerator. That's what "giving it air" means
>>
>>17754805
it wasnt exactly 60 i just made up a random number but thanks
>>
>>17754805
wait isnt giving it gas when clutch is down bad?
>>
>>17754791
It will yeah if you're trying to go from 5th to 1st, I was assuming he's asking for the best way to do a gradual stop, otherwise you'll just be pressing the clutch and brake at the same time and not have time for shifting.

>>17754769
Maybe you let the engine RPM get too low, pressing the clutch and letting it slip a bit and getting the engine to higher RPM and into whatever revs it has the most torque in should help.
I took my driving exam on a 72hp diesel W201 with a 4 speed manual, it was a woefully underpowered car, but with enough clutch play you could go up any hill.
>>
>>17754769
>it would just spin in place

What does this mean? If the tires are spinning you need better tires or you're dumping the clutch to fast. If the clutch is slipping you need a new clutch.
>>
>>17754791
Sort of, it depends on your speed. If you're going too fast and just throw it into first you will probably cause some damage to your engine since it will rev way too high. As a general rule you shouldn't need to put your car into first unless you're starting from a stop (or almost stop).
>>
>>17754804
Man you don't even know... I've worked on my car for hours every day since buying it a month ago and have only driven it around the block a couple times. Granted I knew what I was getting into, a barely running project, but still...
>>
>>17754827
at the time I didnt even know what RPM is
i learned manual by never looking at the other circle only the km/h one
I just "listened" to the car in order to change gears
when i read on /o/ what it was ... so much easier i guess my teacher was an old school guy
>>
>>17754829
it was a stony road and some stones were slippery
>>
>>17754830
no I meant going down one at a time wouldnt that still make u go to the red line? unless you brake a little each time you downshift revmatch
>>
>>17754858
>60 degree gravel road
your driving instructor wasn't messing around
>>
>>17754824
not at all, but you shouldn't do it on purpose for nothing, it has two purposes : going up hill, and burnout on manual
>>
>>17754835

I bought this knowing it needed some minor work, because my last car was going to be a major project. Then after a month or so everything started falling apart.

What're you working on?
>>
>>17754804
I drive a japanese econobox so no I don't know that feel.
>>
>>17754860
It won't if you wait for engine braking to slow the car down to a reasonable speed before downshifting again. That said, you don't ever really need to use that much engine braking unless your brakes are out. When I want to use engine braking I'll normally get it down to 3rd, then when my rpms get too low I put it in neutral and brake the rest of the way.
>>
File: gjirokaster albania roads.jpg (683KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
gjirokaster albania roads.jpg
683KB, 2048x1536px
>>17754871
yeah hes pretty old school as i said somewhere else he didnt even teach me what RPM was and i never used the rpm odometer
still funny guy had a blast learning with him
pic related was the stoney road not gravel but big ass stones
the white and red are slippery af even without driving
>>
File: IMG_20170812_214626.jpg (1MB, 2952x2699px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170812_214626.jpg
1MB, 2952x2699px
>>17754877
Turd gen. Replacing the radiator tomorrow. Then I gotta figure out why there's fucking gas everywhere
>>
>>17753603
b-bump
>>
When I try to start my jeep the gear shift shakes violently and won't start. Any ideas ? I had a check engine light about the cat but it went away
2007 Jeep liberty 5 speed
>>
>>17754966

There's gas everywhere because it wants to you set it on fire and get a good car.
>>
>>17754806
So I looked at flow master and it seems without going entirely custom, corsa and bola have the same system. I guess there is only one kit for the Durango.
>>
File: 20170821_165321[1].jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170821_165321[1].jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
is this just some decal someone stuck on, or did this come like this?

2014 mazda6 GT
>>
>>17755089
You could always get a muffler shop to quote you on a custom job, will probably end up cheaper than a pre-made
>>17755112
Must be an ausfag thing
>>
>>17755112
goddamnt 4chan why u flip that fuuuuuk
>>
File: 10 int.png (165KB, 303x311px) Image search: [Google]
10 int.png
165KB, 303x311px
Is there a proper etiquette to test driving a manual car if you've never driven manual before, but get the idea?
>>
>>17755156
dont sweat it my man they want to sell u a car so you are in control.
>>
What cars other than the trailblazer used the same cluster as the Envoy?
>>
>>17755263
The Saab 9-7
Oldsmobile Bravada?
>>
>>17755174
Even if it's a private sale and not a dealership or whatever?
>>
>>17754804
I get frustrated, but for me its more of an issue that becuase of my job my time is limited.

I wouldn't be so frustrated If I had all the time in the world to fix the shit. But Working 6 days a week I'm doing good to keep up with chores and car projects.
>>
What can i remove from my car to reduce weight that wont have negative effects on the cars functionality?

What can i change/swap out?

What amount of lbs is significant enough to be noticable? I want to accelerate faster. I drive a shitbox v6 coupe.
>>
>>17755117
>You could always get a muffler shop to quote you on a custom job, will probably end up cheaper than a pre-made

This, piecing together a universal cat and a universal muffler from any of those makers will probably come out cheaper than the premade kits they sell, even with someone else doing the work.
>>
Why the fuck is open differential even real? Who the fuck came up with that? Just why..?
>>
When im driving... Even the slightest turn of the wheel to the right... It sounds like the wheel is rubbing somthing as it rotates... But i really dont think its rubbing against anything.

What are the possibilities?
>>
>>17755468
Be up front abd tell the guy you're interested but lack the driving skills, at best he'll be happy to teach you on the spot, or you can slip him a few dollars and get him to teach you or at worst the guy will take the car for a spin with you as a passenger.
>>
>>17755763
Have you checked the inner fender for wear? If you have FWD it maybe CV joint related, or something else is wrong with suspension on that side.
>>
Right, so I just watched the Cresta episode if MCM, and I have to ask why do they play such shitty music? When they were listening to these tracks, exactly how much meth were they sucking through the glass dick?
>>
I'm looking at a car with massive wrinkle dents and no frame damage. Can I smooth that shit out with bondo and just paint over it? It's old so the quarter panels are impossible to find, but it CAN be made to "look" good, right?
>>
File: wrx sti.jpg (130KB, 1023x680px) Image search: [Google]
wrx sti.jpg
130KB, 1023x680px
>>17753252
are Version 5 1999 subaru wrx sti able to legally imported into the us yet?
>>
so I got a 2004 outback and everyone keeps talking about the headgasket issue and I think im fine as of now, but want to know if I should worry about anything more. Also I love this car.
>>
>>17753252
Anyone have a sticky or guide on how I can start learning how to drive manual? I've always driven automatic but want to learn manual as to lessen the chance of getting my next car stolen.
>>
>>17756325
1. Push in clutch
2. Put in gear
3. Slowly let out clutch while pushing down on accelerator
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

(Note, if car stalls or judders, you went too ham on clutch without enough accelerator)
>>
>>17756350
That's the thing I have zero knowledge on manual transmissions at all, like a complete beginner and want to learn.

Does putting the gear higher mean it can go faster? Why do I have to slowly let the clutch out? When should I be switching gears?
>>
>>17756356
A higher gear makes you go faster. If you let out the clutch too quickly you'll stall the car. It depends on the car, Fiero like 2k and shift at 5, WRX like 3-4k and shift at 6.
>>
>>17756262
The rule is cars that are 25 years or older can be imported.
>>
>>17756385
If the car stalls, how can I start it up again? I'm just watching youtube videos and getting an idea of how manuals work
>>
>>17756398
Same way you start it, push in clutch, turn key.
>>
>>17756273
Change timing belt, water pump, and thermostat every 100k miles and you'll be ok. If you're paranoid, get MLS headgaskets of the appropriate thickness for your application with arp headbolts and you'll be golden for years to come. The headgasket issue was only a thing for dohc 2.5 na engines. Yours is an Sohc, so you don't have to worry. Use OEM thermostats since aftermarket ones don't fit properly and you'll leak, and if you don't get MLS gaskets, don't get felpro head gaskets, get OEM. The headgasket issue that the 2.5 dohc had was that the design on the headgaskets caused them to fail. Subaru later updated the design, but felpro used the old flawed design and never changed it.
>>
File: 1490372671721.jpg (66KB, 640x641px) Image search: [Google]
1490372671721.jpg
66KB, 640x641px
>>17756429
thanks for the info my man, I will replace them soon since they havent since 04 and its 30k away from 100k anyways.
>>
>>17756444
No problem. Since you're going that far, also remember to replace the coolant crossover pipe o rings and possibly knock sensors if the rubber is cracking. You're gonna be under the manifold anyways so get as much shit as you can taken care off while everything is off. I put dohc heads on my EJ22 and I took the opportunity to pull the engine and replace every oil and coolant seal there is. I'm not sure if you're willing to go as far as to pull the engine, but if you do, remember to replace the oil separator plate (OEM part) and the rear main just to get it out of the way. When the oil separator plate starts leaking it's a nightmare. Rockauto has the cheapest Timken seals, and eBay knock sensors are also ok.
>>
The pinch welds on both sides of my cars are a bit bent in two spots where jackstands were put. Should i just scrap it desu?
>>
>>17756350
Different anon but does going too hard on the accelerator when shifting gears do anything bad aside from what I'd guess is wearing the clutch out faster?
>>
Simple shit i can do to get a bit more out of my 2.3l mazda L engine?
>>
Are there any double din android headunits that anyone would recommend?

Eonon seems pretty okay for its price but its chink so yeah
>>
Does anyone have the mcm fourm screenshot where moog ranted about 4chan?
>>
File: 1868.jpg (71KB, 800x785px) Image search: [Google]
1868.jpg
71KB, 800x785px
Game changer or a meme?
I'm considering buying these, but I don't want bulbs that cost 3x as much as regular ones and burn in 6 months.
Or even worse do damage the plastic connectors or the headlight reflector due to the higher filament temperature.
>>
e39 530d or e46 320d?
>>
>>17757369
They're noticeably better, but won't blow you away like added driving lights would. Same wattage so don't get any hotter, and you're not "that guy with mismatched HIDs". Stick with Osram, Phillips or Narva.
I bought Narva Plus 120s and they're great. Narva also do a Plus 130, but it's a whiter light. I like the comfy more effective warmer light of the 120.
>>
>>17756243
With enough money anything can be made to look Good
>>
>>17757369
If you buy those I will smash both your headlights out
>>
>>17756596
In normK driving You shouldn't be on the accelerator when shifting up, and should only be blipping the throttle momentarily and off the accelerator for revmatching to down shift.
>>
Looking for a new DD. Budget is $25k or under. Looking for something fun to drive, reliable, and with good emm-pee-gees in that order.
>>
e87 or audi a3 8p?
what engines do you recommend?
>>
Hey ch/o/des, I am going to get a Turd hatch, can't decide between FiST or FoST. Both can be had for cheap with low miles. Which one should I go for?
>>
Want to buy a used 2009 forester xt with 150k.
How not to get fucked with big repairs immediately after buying? Should I look for something without turbo instead?
>>
File: TorquePro.png (127KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
TorquePro.png
127KB, 300x300px
>feel backlash going through the car when I lift off the gas completely, sometimes 2-3 small lashes in a row (e.g. when coasting towards a traffic light)
>feel a lash when stepping onto the accelerator really gentle
>gets worse when A/C is on
>kinda gone when driving in heavy rain

This is driving me crazy, looked up what could be causing it for some hours, could be engine mounts, could be ignition/ cables, a really ungentle fuel cutoff or jump into engine idle. Test-drove the same model from a dealership which didn't have the issue - they couldn't find the problem back then and it got worse over the course of a year.
Is there a way to locate issues with the engine management? I have a obd-adapter and some apps on my phone - which sensors would I have to monitor in order to recognize flaws?
>>
File: sweater.jpg (100KB, 500x579px) Image search: [Google]
sweater.jpg
100KB, 500x579px
What's the best tool kit that combines reasonable price with quality? It isn't top notch, but it isn't be bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>17758426
I found that a craftsman socket set and a cheap pack of screwdrivers and wrenches will do just about anything.
>>
File: itashas.png (47KB, 169x130px) Image search: [Google]
itashas.png
47KB, 169x130px
>>17753252
ID on these itasha?
no higher res available
>>
>>17757484
>blipping the throttle
Do you have to talk this way?
Or is it just nerd-speak so everyone knows what a cool car guy you are?
>>
>>17758531
This one?
>>
how do I learn to heel toe D:

I don't want to crash trying on the street. I have the stock miata pedals and I feel like they're not designed for it.
>>
>>17758743
I don't have any experience with manuals, but why not an empty parking lot? I imagine if a cop asked, which is unlikely, he'd accept the explanation and either let you stay on or tell you to leave with no citations.
>>
File: de.jpg (81KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
de.jpg
81KB, 640x480px
I'm a little new to this, but I've got a TPI engine and in trying to learn more about it, I repeatedly see to terms used, "plenum," and "runners."
So is the plenum the center piece, and the runners are the tubes on the side? I thought that was called the exhaust manifold? Or is it both?
>>
>>17758816

plenum is the intake manifold on top, runners are the exhaust manifold on the side
>>
New to cars here, An old automatic car shifter will have P R N 3 2 1... How do you go about driving it without D?
>>
>>17758835
So, "runners," is just another name for the exhaust manifold?
>>17758839
I've got a related question to add to this, so is 3rd gear the weakest, and the 1st gear is the strongest? What exactly are they for, towing?
I've always just used D.
>>
>>17758854
The car im talking about doesnt even have a D.. I literally have not a clue what to do.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1280x853px
>>17753252
Should I turbo or super charge my brz
I'm just getting into cars, and I want to make a plan to get more hp from my brz
I've heard turbo/super charging will throw off the excellent balance given by the boxer, is this true?
also I'd like to know the risks i'll be taking by putting these mods on my car
>>
>>17753252
Guys, I need an opinion on a used car:
>Car is a very durable model, plus parts for this car are pretty plentiful around here
>But it has a bit over 500,000 km's on the odo
>Car is currently running; was the current owner's work car until a few days ago
>Owner is selling for a very low price, I think it's because of the high milage but I'm worried nevertheless
>Upfront about it's issue with a cracked gasket; I'm pretty confident I can repair it after some I did a little research
>Gearbox was apparently replaced 200,000km ago
>I'm a car noob, this is my entry to working on cars and would be my first project car
>Endgoal is to learn about working on cars, and if possible come out with a working car
>Interior is OK, but the body is a bit banged up; I'm not fussed about that

I'm not sure if I should go ahead. A friend (who actually drives the same model car) is gonna come with me to look at it in person. But I wanted to know; impressions? How big are the red flags here?
>>
>>17758913

Clutch explodes at 300-350whp.
Transmission explodes at 400whp.
Oil cooler required.
>>
>>17758924
how much whp are we looking at here if I add the trubo/super
I guess a better question is, how likely/what would I have to do to majorly fuck up
>>
what are the best classic muscle cars as far as reliability, performance, and modibility that are V8s? what years were those qualities most prominent in muscle?
>>
>>17755719
>What can i change/swap out?
anything that isn't necessary
>What amount of lbs is significant enough
100lbs=1hp
>>
>>17758924
>Clutch explodes at 300-350whp.
>Transmission explodes at 400whp
These components can't handle the increased output?
>>
File: wheel.png (58KB, 186x152px) Image search: [Google]
wheel.png
58KB, 186x152px
>>17753252
what's common engine that's around 50hp or more?
100hp+?
need one cheap

also, what wheels are these:
>>17757983
and the wheel in the pic related
>>
>>17758913
Is there even room for a turbo/super under the hood?
>>
>>17759000
what would be the maintenance cost estimate on an older maserati GT?
>>
Going to be Two Wheel Towing a rear wheel drive manual car 300 something miles. Do I need to disconnect the drive shaft or any of that crazy shit to tow it or is that for Autos Only?
>>
>>17759000
an econobox engine of some sort details of what your doing would help greatly
>>
Which is more fuel efficient: a car towing an identical car or both cars running separately?
>>
>>17759336
in the future, i was thinking about buying a rolling chassis and leaving it on a friend's property while the engine is out and being rebuilt

they don't have a means to tow it or move it and using wheel dollies won't work
i want them to be able to drive it/move it if it gets in the way or whatever

i was thinking of putting a small and cheap carbed briggs stratton engine in there, but 6-12hp seems like it might be too low? (car weighs 3000+ lb)
also, mounting the engine and mating it to the tranny won't be a problem, so most any reasonably sized engine
>>
File: Screenshot (520).png (1MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (520).png
1MB, 1360x768px
>>17753252
I kind of am itching to buy a BMW 328d just because it averages around 42mpg on the highway and around 35 in the city. Also I heard the ride is smooth and balances as it's a diesel coz torque.

I currently own a 2010 Camry and should I just outright buy one? I plan to keep the car for 5 years at the max.

How is the reliability on the 3 series, especially the diesels? God I really hope the answer to this is yes.

Opinions?
>>
>>17753412
Buy valve grinding compound. Now you can put them anywhere.
>>
>>17757454
You're an idiot. They don't behave the way you think they do.
>>
File: 20051229-hj.pfaff-08.jpg (94KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
20051229-hj.pfaff-08.jpg
94KB, 800x600px
2003 Volkswagen Passat epc and traction control lights come on, any ideas?

https://youtu.be/JA-jURlbKeo
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (321KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
321KB, 2048x1536px
Is the Cobalt good for a new driver looking for something that isn't too boring? Currently looking at this, Corolla and Mercedes C class
>>
>>17760351
The Cobalt SS Turbo? Yes, just don't mod it until you can actually handle the car, being that you're a new driver and all
>>
Is there a term for completely 'revamping' a car? I don't just mean detailing, I mean stripping it down to its components, replacing what needs to be replaced, completely stripping the paint down to the metal (replacing any rusted parts with, hopefully available, new parts) and repainting it.
I have a 2008 car and love it. I'd really like to make it 'as new' again, with a reupholstered interior (in black instead of the current grey).
Is there a term for this or a service that I could look for that does this? Or am I fucking high and should just love what I have till it dies, then get a new something else?
>>
File: tercel.jpg (86KB, 828x590px) Image search: [Google]
tercel.jpg
86KB, 828x590px
I bought a shitter car (toyota tercel) for 700$. It ran really well for a week but today I was reving the engine hard in neutral to get a laugh out of my friends about the tiny car vroom sound.
Laughs turned to dread as a thick white cloud came out the back of it.
I then drove home and revved it again, nothing.

Its probably I got fucked over by the trailer trash I bougfht it from. But is there a non head gasket reason this could happen?
If not, I need to keep it alive at least 6 more months, are there any sealants or stop leaks that work, or are they a more harm than good thing?
>>
>>17760459
Restoring is the word you are looking for
t. thesaurus
>>
>>17759375
If the car is made for towing, like a diesel truck then the MPG wont drop by much at all.
If both cars are like Honda civics, then I'd say separately.
>>
Open differential is good for on road driving. Better control around corners, and in wet weather.
>>
>>17755156
If you have never ever driven before then I doubt you will even be able to test drive it. It takes a few days of driving before you stop stalling it when going into first.
Find a friend that drives manual to help you learn.
Just remember when starting off to let the clutch out stupidly slowly.
>>
>>17761757
Once you have down letting out the clutch stupidly slow, how do you speed it up while still being smooth?
>>
>>17756625
Better spark plugs like NKG, oil air filter for better air intake.
>>
>>17761734
Thick white cloud coming out of the exhaust could possibly be the coolant leak in the cylinders, I would check and see what the coolant level is in the radiator and see if it's low.
>>
>>17761764
After 100 times you will feel it, there is a ratio of how much to accelerate and at what time.
Just get in a manual, ten start and stop the car over and over.
there is a point where the car will accelerate forward without you putting on any gas, thats the sweet spot, you will only find it the first time if you take like 10 seconds to sloooooowly let off the clutch. After that you just accelerate very gradually, with practice you can do it quick without thinking.

When test driving, don't stop on a hill. You will most likely stall unless you have at least 2 weeks of daily practice.
>>
How much do you think it would be to ship a 1300$ car from New Hampshire to Illinois?
>>
File: i hope i die today.png (28KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
i hope i die today.png
28KB, 500x303px
>>17756394
I hate this fucking country
>>
>>17761786
A 1300$ car is not worth it unless you get it yourself. Even then it would be a lot of commitment for a shitter
>>
File: tercel.jpg (10KB, 317x159px) Image search: [Google]
tercel.jpg
10KB, 317x159px
Realistically, with a head gasket blown how long can I still drive the car? Its not that bad, it just started today and only whenit was first starting.

What can I do to extend this shit cars life. I don't have the money for a new one, much less a mechanic.
I'm worried those gasket sealers will just kill the heater core and make it worse.
I need to drive it at least another year to make it break even.
>>
what does wat sticker represent?
>>
>>17761757
I like to think I'm a quick learner, and I get the idea of it from a few videos. I just wonder how long it'll actually take for me to get enough of a feel for the clutch to start and stop consistently enough to go around the block or something simple.
I have a friend who I might be able to heckle into letting me practice with their car for an afternoon, would that be enough time to not be completely shit, assuming I'm not retarded?
>>
>>17762134
It took me 20-30 min of practice with a friend when I started and then I was good enough to drive by myself. I still stalled it once in a while if I got flustered in traffic or on a hill for a couple weeks.However, on flat ground, paying close attention to what I was doing I never stalled after day 1.
If you are like most guys you'll pick it up really fast.
>>
>>17753252
What's cooler, an Impreza WRX GC or GD?
>>
>>17757522
Bump.
>>
Why do people call cars with matte black paint, "murdered out"? Is it because most murderers are black?
>>
File: 1503169797533.jpg (44KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
1503169797533.jpg
44KB, 500x259px
weak faggot reporting in

i'm learning to drive manual clutch is p stiff (for my weak ass). my instructor keeps telling me that i need to keep my heel stationary and just use the muscles around my ankle to pivot my foot to operate the clutch as that will give me more control.

but im too weak to do this. is it gonna be a huge problem? does every driver keep their heel stationary on the floor when pushing the clutch? I mean, I'm not stomping on the clutch using my whole foot or anything, I'm just having to use my leg muscles and drag the heel forward along the floor when trying to push the clutch all the way in.
>>
File: wtf nigga.png (20KB, 705x1005px) Image search: [Google]
wtf nigga.png
20KB, 705x1005px
>>17762738
>>
How bad of an idea is it to have a 15 year old e46 as a family car? I'd love to have with manual and a three litre petrol.
>>
>>17762761
if u can afford it sure
>>
>>17762738
I have very fine control over my clutch and my heel doesn't rest on the floor when using it. I never heard of this retarded bullshit before, the pedal throw is far too much to operate by using your heel as a pivot
>>
>>17753252
Can I connect two radiator hoses with just clamps as a temporary measure?
>>
File: 1502067965646.png (619KB, 609x601px) Image search: [Google]
1502067965646.png
619KB, 609x601px
>>17762900
cheers m8, alleviated some of my concerns :)
>>
>>17762935
Bump pls
>>
>>17758839
Usually the number will limit you to that gear, so 3 will have all gears available, 2 will have 1 and 2, and 1 will have only 1.

>>17758854
Typically in any of my autos I will use the lower numbers if I need more torque (going up steep hills, towing) or need to limit my speed downhill (engine braking).
>>
File: IMG_20170823_115320334.jpg (3MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_115320334.jpg
3MB, 2952x5248px
>>17753252
U joints shouldn't move at all right? I can wiggle mine a bit with my hand, I'm guessing it's shot?
>>
My shitbox has an engine knock above 5500 RPM. Just a "thudthudthudthud" whenever I exceed that RPM. What could be the cause?
>>
>>17762738

I do both. Push in with full leg and lift off with just the foot. Best of both worlds.

My (stock) Mustang had some retardedly heavy clutch the previous owner put in when I bought it. Like, I'm a strong guy and I could barely drive it at all. After six months of that my left leg looked like it belonged to a different person.

Best thing that ever happened to me was when the throwout bearing let go. Finally gave me an excuse to put a real clutch in that car. I no longer walk with a limp.
>>
>>17763435
Spark knock
>>
>>17762100
>Realistically, with a head gasket blown how long can I still drive the car?
Some cars run a few days, some cars run a few months.
>>
TL;WR: why do the LS engines have 8 and not less cylinders, while keeping the displacement?

It seems like having a lower number of cylinders for the same displacement leads to having an engine that is more torque-y and yields less peak power. This seems apparent in motorcycles, where those with single cylinder or v-twins have less power but have more torque than similarly displaced 4-inline cylinder engines.

If that is the case, why do "muscle" and similarly big sized engine cars, specially prevalent in american culture, have 8 cylinders? Why not have a 5.7l (or even 7.0l) with "only" 6, 4 or even less engines?

Please don't laugh, serious question.
>>
I can't find anything on this. Is the stock Envoy steering wheel covered in leather? I fucked up and used Armorall cleaning wipes on it and now there's a layer of scuzz on it, and I thought maybe that's what it was.
>>
okay lads so there is something wrong with my golf mark 5 04

sometimes the car wont start, and after repeat attempts it starts but then idles at 500 revs and then slowly creeps up the revs, ive been turning it off when it gets to about 3k revs, giving it a little time and then trying again, eventually it starts and runs apparently fine.

this has happenend a few times now over the last 5 months
>>
>>17762100
>I'm worried those gasket sealers will just kill the heater core and make it worse.

Not that anon.

What if I use one of those gasket sealers, and then decide to replace my head gasket myself?

Are the sealers really that bad; am I going to blow my heater core?
>>
>>17762761
>family car
Make sure everyone in the family is able to drive it before you buy a manual transmission car. Otherwise, it becomes only a car you can drive.
>>
File: USC40FOC123A021001.jpg (191KB, 2100x1386px) Image search: [Google]
USC40FOC123A021001.jpg
191KB, 2100x1386px
>>17753252
I am not a car guy. Is a 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback a good car?
>>
>>17764245
>I am not a car guy.
Type that car name into google follow by the word "review". Visit EDMUNDS and the other major car magazine sites to check their articles. You can also check Consumer Reports for 2014 and 2015 for articles. The federal government provides a searchable index of recalls by make and model. And there are other sites that take user complaints and categorize them. You can also check user MPG at government-run feedback sites such as:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList
>>
>>17764245
Avoid all automatic focus/fiesta

If you're going for an econobox, consider a Taurus since they're at least big and comfy.
>>
>>17764408
Thanks
>>17764419
Why should I avoid them?
>>
I want your opinions on the lexus is200.

I want one as my first car but I'm not entirely sure it's a good purchase. Don't wanna waste my money. I also want a older civic type r, but i think it's hard finding one in good condition.
>>
I have a 1995 Lexus SC400 with 203k miles on the probably original timing belt.

Everywhere I look online says different years start with the interference engines. Some say 95 some say 96 some say 98 but it seems most agree that 1995 is the first year of interference engines.

I just looked down at my door sticker and saw that it was manufactured 7/94. Would that make me in the clear? I'm still planning on getting the belt changed but it would sure give some peace of mind knowing my engine wouldn't be totally fucked if it snapped.
>>
File: 1485009455204.jpg (159KB, 720x724px) Image search: [Google]
1485009455204.jpg
159KB, 720x724px
could air, even a lot, in my brake lines cause my caliper pistons to not fully retract? All seem to not fully retract but aren't giving me sticking symptoms. Seems weird all are doing this.
>>
>>17764889
What kind of car? They could be screw ins.
>>
>>17753317
Your wife doesn't get to decide. Let her son do it.
>>
>>17753252
>94 Ford Bronco 5 speed

2nd gear will grind on occasion even when the clutch is pushed in all the way, and go to neutral. I usually will pop it right back into neutral and it'll go in smooth. Happens about once every month, but is getting more frequent as of late.

Synchro issue?
>>
>>17763384
Shouldn't move at all, but if it's wiggling a little bit it's a sign of needing replaced soon.
>>
File: top10.jpg (372KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
top10.jpg
372KB, 1600x800px
>>17753252
Is there a sticky equivilant for the european car market?
>>
>>17765148
No, if you want one, get you and you Islamic cohorts together and make one.
>>
>>17765109
I have the same problem in third on a 95 F150. I've assumed it was synchros.

Is yours swapped? Was unaware that any broncos last gen broncos came with manual.
>>
How do I stop being such a shitty fucking driver?
Since I got a new 8-5 job and am now commuting with the rest of the normies, I find myself getting in more near accidents and a majority of them are my fault. The past few have been me not seeing someone when lane changing even though I look over my shoulder. This I'll blame on going from a 2 door hatchback to a 4 door wagon and not looking far enough back.

Am I in the wrong if I'm going a solid 80 in a 75 in the middle lane on a 6 lane highway? I sit in the middle to not impede the left lane and not get stuck behind semis in the right, and people still pass me on the right. I'm not sure who is the asshole, me or the guy passing me on the right.

I got so used to driving to my night shift job at 10 pm when there were very few cars out but now that I'm right in the middle of rush hour to and from, I can't get away with shitty driving anymore.

Should I possibly take a course? I've only been driving for about 3 years now.
>>
>>17763526
Becuase you can fit an 8 in the same space you can fit a 4, and becuase 12's are cost prohibitive to make.

And even in muscle cars the goal isn't torque its power. That's why many of them have lobed cams swapped in that are only good at making all of their power at the high end of the rev range.

Torque is great but power is more important in racing, to give you an example, I have an SV650 and a Triumph Daytona.

The SV650 makes 42ftlbs of torque, and the Daytona makes roughly ten more at 53.3 which isn't drastic and the bikes weight is 437, and 417 again not great..

The Daytona will drastically out run the SV650, and leave it in the dust, bad enough that there's a whole seconds difference in the 1/4mile. Why? Because the SV's power is only 73hp, and the Daytona has 123hp.
>>
>>17765180
if you're short, sit in the seat with better posture so you can see better, make sure your mirrors adjusted so you can see everything. adjust them so you can see your blind spots when leaning forward in your seat. every lane change let your blinker blink a few times then gradually change lane to allow someone to get out of your way or honk at you if you missed them in your blind spot. when using the far left lane to pass a car in the middle lane do not ignore the car in the far right lane - act as if he will take the middle lane at any moment. far right lane is for speed limit and exiting traffic, middle is for travel, left is for passing. people passing you on the right are usually either extreme pricks or the folks who are too scared to drive fast enough to enter the far left lane because people on their ass makes them nervous.
>>
>>17754804
At first not really. Was kind of fun actually. But after a while it just erodes your soul. I drove a 94 Integra for the last year that was perfect when I got it but as a daily driver the list of small things going wrong with it seemed to grow daily and got progressively more expensive
>>
Any recommendations on headlight restoration kits?
>>
>>17765239
3M is the only way to go. Or my method which is
>600 grit sandpaper
>800 grit
>1500 grit
>3000 grit pad
>polish with plast x
>UV protector sealant

Good 2 go boi
>>
I'm $1000 short on a car I can't afford. There is also no way I could afford any repair costs. How do I make a quick $1000 before friday?
>>
>>17765332
Are you proficient in the art of fellatio?
>>
>>17765332
How horrible is your credit? You think you could swing a unsecured loan?
>>
Doesn't batch-fired fuel injection waste a shitton of fuel vs sequential injection? It seems like each bank of injectors would have to fire twice per revolution of the crank to me when thinking about the combustion cycle.
>>
>>17764431
they have shitty auto trannies
>>
>>17765403
Damn, the car I was looking at was really good overall. I was doing some research on the transmission and it is some weird combo manual/auto. Any fix or recall for it you know of?
>>
>>17765434
I have a 2012 focus se and my tranny went out at 50k miles. There is a recall on them ford paid almost 2k to fix it. I didn't even drive it hard the transmission went out within two days. It slipped once coming back from the store and the next day going to work it shit the bed.
>>
>>17753252
what really is a fair price for a head gasket replacement on a subaru h6
>>
What cool are things is there to do/see in Jersey, Miami, NY in October? Ausfag going on a holiday.
>>
What can I do to ignore low compression? I've got a misfire that I'm pretty sure is caused by the cylinder being like 80psi or something, havnt checked.

Can I just put a hotter coil, or larger spark gap, something to ignore it forever?
>>
File: 20170823_172141.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170823_172141.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Yes but now I need advice where to go from here.
I washed and used a clay bar on my rear bumper and drive side rear quarter panel to spot test.

This weird haze is underneath and I don't know what to do after I clay the rest tomorrow. The paint came out smooth but this "foggy" patch still feels rough almost like it was sanded with 500 grit or rubbing compound.
>>
Is it true that back pressure can slightly increase low end performance and in town mileage?

I bought a car that's running straight pipes, with a glorified resonator as a muffler, and I'm replacing it with a cherry bomb turbo muffler for the sake of noise.
>>
>>17765919
I dunno, Google it yerself ya lazy cunt ya
>>
>>17765975
You'll eventually blow the piston. Just put your money towards another engine or car at this point.
>>
>>17766014
Backpressure is only relevant if you're running a turbo set up, and it also depends what cycle you're running.
>>
>>17765919
Thankfully you can hang yourself year-round
>>
This is kind of a general question rather than a specific problem, but fuck it I'll ask here.

Ever since I discovered synthwave I've wanted an 80s shitbox to fix up (yeah I know I'm a faggot but w/e). Trying to compile a list of what cars to look out for. So far the only real decent pick ATM on CL is an 87 toyota MR2 in Marshall, MN. There are also a few F-bodies in various states of disrepair. There WAS a 7MGTE supra posted a month or two ago in Sioux falls, but someone beat my to that one.

Easy to work on preferred, but I'll take what I can get.
>>
>>17766040
>>17765975
nvm, its got like 135. when plugging and unplugging the injector wire, it will cycle once completely, then go back to misfiring.
So its probably the injector?
it has solid fuel pressure, and its the first jector on the rail.

plug looked hella lean.
>>
>>17764889
Possibly but you would feel a spongy brake pedal as well. Little rubber seals around piston inside the caliper and designed to pull/push the piston away from the rotor. By push/pull it depends on if it's a floating caliper or double piston, or some which use springs on rods to retract the pads. Greasing the shims and brushing off loose rust from the pads is usually the easiest solution
>>17765239
I'm cheap and use turtle wax polishing compound and paper towel. Does the job 80%.
>>17765975
Low compression is usually worn piston rings or worse. Only band aid fix is use a heavier weight oil. If the owners manual calls for 5w-30 in all seasons use 10w-30 instead
>>
>>17766274
mitsubishi starion? how about a mx73 toyota cressida? ae92 corollas are cheap and imo one of the most beautiful fwd cars of the era... the 5m-ge on the cressida is a decently reliable engine, and the g54b in the usdm starion is easily swapped to a g63/64 out of a dodge d50/mitsubishi mighty max. bolt on a 1g eclipse head and you have a reliable ride with a decent aftermarket to boot.
>>
>>17766331
so far, this is all I found

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-chrysler-conquest-turbo/6239173058.html
https://marshall.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-mr2/6268023892.html
https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/d/8286-chevy-camaro/6244476959.html
https://sd.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-mustang-convertible-4cyl/6234555840.html
https://sd.craigslist.org/cto/d/1981-el-camino/6266924301.html

I almost didn't include the El Camino, but it was an 81 so ehh whatever. the Conquest at minimum needs tranny work and a head gasket. the MR2 has a salvage title and the camaro (the working one, anyway) is completely gutless, although I hear those little v6s CAN make power. and the stang is auto.
>>
Best hatchback that was released recently?
>>
You can drift a RWD.

You can drift a AWD, but it's a different ball game.

Driving AWD is like driving FWD.
So drifting AWD is like drifting FWD.

So why can't you drift FWD?
>>
I got used 5w-40 on the hair on the back of my head today. The back of my head is itchy now. I haven't showered or washed my hair.

Am I going to die?

What if I go to sleep tonight with this oil in my hair?
>>
>>17766633
No it's not. Driving AWD is like driving RWD but the front wheels pull too. You can drift FWD too a bit but for you to go sideways the rear needs to want to go more than the front and that cannot really happen with FWD unless it's a change in the balance.
>>
>>17766633
>So why can't you drift FWD?
You need to review your definition of "drift". If you cannot fully define it right now without stammering or going "huh, let me try to remember...." then you don't really know. Thereupon lies the answer to your question.
>>
>>17766694
>What if I go to sleep tonight with this oil in my hair?
You need to learn common sense hygiene.

Are you the one with dirty poopy underwear that instead of cleaning yourself and getting a change of clothes, you continue to sit in various chairs and people's cars, making their seats poopy smelling too?
>>
File: 53181831_p0.png (275KB, 572x610px) Image search: [Google]
53181831_p0.png
275KB, 572x610px
>>17753252
what's a source for really small turbos?
like fits-in-your-hand sized turbos?
>cheap too?
>>
Is g35 a good first car?
>>
>>17767080

G35 is my second car and I would say yes I would have loved it as a first car.

Comfy, sexy, reliable and it's quick enough without being sketchy to rev out
>>
File: FBdyVN7.jpg (48KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
FBdyVN7.jpg
48KB, 1024x576px
Are ROTA wheels as shit quality as everyone says or is that just a meme? I've found a few articles about them but the sources they cite are all drift or race teams that use them on their races cars, not on daily drivers.
>>
>>17761739
Huh. Weird. I always just associated that with non-operational cars and whatnot.
Guess it makes sense. Thanks Thesaurus.
>>
File: 444.gif (2MB, 375x250px) Image search: [Google]
444.gif
2MB, 375x250px
>car turns right on flashing yellow when Im coming head-on 50mph on a green light

Who's in the wrong?
>>
File: Renegade.jpg (425KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Renegade.jpg
425KB, 1920x1440px
Anyone ever driven/owned a Jeep Renegade?

I'm kind of falling in love with its looks. It's my understanding the power/torque is kind of ass but as a slow going commuter I'm sure that wouldn't matter much.
>>
>>17767433
You'll never be able to unsee that its just a Kia soul with a Jeep badge
>>
>>17754722
I usually downshift a gear or two and leave there until im close to stopping, then toss it in nuetral
>>
>>17758854
No, the exhaust manifold (or header) is attached to the cylinder heads down low. The Plenum is the center boxy part of the intake, the runners are the tubes that lead to each intake port
>>
>>17767433
>>17767682
Isn't it actually a Fiat Panda or something?
>>
>>17767853
Not any better
>>
I took my car to a mechanic a couple weeks ago and he ended up getting grease or oil on the car body in a few spots. I didn't notice until the other day. I have the car a wash but the grease/oil won't come out. A Google search on what to use to remove it didn't help, opinions seem dividend on what is best to use. What does /o/ recommend? I'm going to try some dish soap since it seems safest so hopefully that will work
>>
>>17767853
500X, same platform but at least you can get the Renegade with the 1.4T manual AWD
That right there blows the Juke the fuck out
>>
>>17767136
>Are ROTA wheels as shit quality as everyone says
There are a huge number of counterfeit ROTA wheels from China as posted in a past /o/ thread where a bunch of chinese gravity cast factories make them as low as $33 each Rota rim for B2B wholesale price to the ebay resellers. At that price, the aluminum alloy is probably not even of the right alloy percentages and may have trash metal in the mix that weakens it as well as gas bubbles and other voids formed by ash or other contaminants.

>drift or race teams use them on their races cars
If genuine ROTA were trash, these race and drift event teams would not use them. But remember that race environment tires and rims are often not what you use as a DD on a pothole-filled road. Pothole roads need solid thick rims. Racetracks do not have potholes, curbs, or other debris on the roadway.

Official ROTA wheels are made and tested in the Philippines. In my opinion obtained from other people who have them, they are decent lightweight wheels for those concerned about both unsprung weight and looks. When shined up to be clean and shiny and the tires black but NOT shiny, they have a bigger effect. Don't use polish on Rota since that is abrasive. The endurance gel tire dressing from meguiars is good at making the tires black but not too shiny if you wipe it off fast.
>>
I thought of this awful joke the other day and I need to get it out of my system so apologies in advance

What do you call a Porsche approaching from the east? A Sun-RUF
>>
File: Racequeen.jpg (177KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Racequeen.jpg
177KB, 720x1080px
>>17767887
>I'm going to try some dish soap
The reason why people recommend dish soap for stripping stubborn waxes, sealants, and oils off cars is because they are strong. But why are the non-chinese non-dollar store top brand name dish soaps strong? It is because they have added enzymes that attack and loosen baked on organic matter to metal and ceramic surfaces. The enzymes loosen the grip that bonds organics to non-organic surfaces much like you use Goo-Be-Gone to remove adhesives from sticking to a surface. If you notice, Goo-be-gone doesn't dissolve the adhesive and make it runny so much as it simply makes it stop sticking. That is what those proprietary enzymes do.

Now, you know paint and primer are organic in nature. So you don't want to be leave enzyme residue on the paint. Be sure to rinse it off the clear coat thoroughly. And don't use any dish soap that contains bleach or has the word OXY (non-chlorine bleach) in it.

After stripping the surface oil off, you will need to fight the deeper oil by using a liquid wax such as the difficult to use Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. Or you can use an easy to use modern synthetic wax such as Meguiar's Ultimate liquid wax or Turtle Wax ICE liquid wax. I use the Turtle Wax ICE after switching from Meguiar's Gold Class. These liquid waxes have a lot of solvent that does soak into the clear coat and it will displace that lubricating oil eventually. In the meantime, you'll enjoy the shine and protection of the wax. A year later, you might strip the wax off and see you cannot notice the oil anymore if you've been waxing once per 2 months.
>>
I'm trying to figure out the front suspension on a mk2/ma60 supra. Looking at it, it looks like the strut housing is bent? And the gas cartridge probably needs replaced as well. I've done some searching around and ll the forums are dead, with only a few clues.

I'm 65% certain that I would have to either find a suitable junker to rob, or, can I invest in coilovers? Surely there must be at least one manufacturer who makes the housing still. Are there other options?
>>
I need to replace a radiator hose. Since I just replaced some other hoses a few months ago, I would like to somehow save the still-new fluid. Is it worth the trouble or should I just buy more fluid anyway?
>>
File: tokico blue.jpg (34KB, 420x400px) Image search: [Google]
tokico blue.jpg
34KB, 420x400px
>>17768039
Ok so after 10 minutes of googling, I'm pretty sure this will fit? I'm a total noob just using the internet to wrench on a 1k$ car.
>>
>>17756356
Higher gear doesn't mean you'll go faster. You have to go up the gears in a linear way, you don't just go from 2nd gear to 5th gear if you want to go fast. The lower the gear the more torque you'll have to get the car rolling.
>>
>>17755763
Bearings more than likely
>>
>>17755959
Marty makes the music. If I'm not mistaken he has a degree in music
>>
>>17761766
>air intake
You would be lucky for a 3 hp gain if you don't end up losing power
>>
>>17768149
You mean Moog? Marty knows how to turn a wrench, Moog knows how to take directions and act like a fuccboi
>>
>>17768171
I've had enough of you, mate
>>
>>17762935
You probably could but I would just get a new one it would be safer and not that expensive or hard to replace. If you are going to fix it I suggest a solid pipe in middle and clamp it to both ends
>>
>>17758918
Which gasket?
>>
My 66 f250 has a huge positive front camber. How do I adjust it?
>>
My friend tried clutchless shifting in my car, and now it doesn't feel the same when I shift gears.

Did my fuckhead of a friend fuck up my car?

Am I stupid for ever letting other people drive my car despite how they always fuck with something?
>>
Have a 2000 Civic ex, it runs fine, except anytime it goes between 1500-2000 rpm, it starts jumping and stuttering. You can accelerate through it just fine, but if you try to hold it in that range, it will keep doing it. I've replaced the map sensor and idle air control valve, and have another throttle body on the way, but what else could be causing this?
>>
>>17768781
>Did my fuckhead of a friend fuck up my fucking car FUUUCK?
Yes, yes he did
>>
>>17768781
The clutch is there for a reason bro
>>
File: 20170824_151719-1.jpg (1MB, 2981x1677px) Image search: [Google]
20170824_151719-1.jpg
1MB, 2981x1677px
My 02 toytoa echo had a problem about a year ago were one of the ground wires from the battery terminal was frayed loose preventing it from starting. I soldered it and it was fine up until yesterday were it was frayed loose once more. thing is the bracket/ring terminal is seized making it a bitch to solder again.

can I just find a new place on the frame to ground it?
>>
>>17768781
>Did my fuckhead of a friend fuck up my car?
You only have to line up some common-sense yes/no questions. Then answer those questions yourself.

Is one of the major purposes of a clutch to hugely reduce the chance of damage to gears when shifting? yes/no

If people want to experiment with potentially damaging actions, they should do that with their own cars and not yours.

"""" Hey, bro, let me try this trick with your car since I don't want to do it with mine.""""

If he is really dead set on doing it, tell him to get a rental car. That's what people practice on when grinding gears and learning shifting techniques better. They return the car after having practiced hooning shifting. Now they can drive their own manual car after having practiced grinding the transmission of the rental.
>>
How to improve fwd cornering speed? Front is mcpherson, rear is torsion beam. I already have performance tires and better brakes. Is a rear antiroll bar my best bet or do you have any other ideas?
>>
>>17769321
>How to improve fwd cornering speed?
Get even better performance tires such as MPSS.
>>
>>17769408
Well im running regular pilot sports bought last year. next?
>>
>>17769321
>>17769430
Make the car lighter.
>>
>>17767403
Him, he should have yielded to you as you had the green light.
>>
I want to put a supercharger on my car, but eventually.
I bought a new v6 camaro and since i then iv driven 10,000 miles.
how long would i be able to wait for the super before its not a good idea to boost the motor?
If i get it fully rebuilt does it even matter how many miles?
>>
I heard golf mk5 2.0 tdi has got some problems and 1.9 is the one recommended
is this the case for mk6?
>>
>>17753603
3k civic
>>
Which H22 specifically will fit in a CB7? (1993 Honda Accord)

An A2? A3? A4?

I want DOHC VTEC for performance purposes.
>>
>>17753252
I'm gonna defer to the hivemind for this. My 79 camaro z28 needs a new carb, and I'm torn between having the Holley that's on it rebuilt for 160 or buying a re manufactured Edelbrock 1406. Both are 600 CFM.
The Edelbrock runs about 100 or so more, but my dad had one installed on his 78 camaro and later his 86 monte carlo and he said it's dead simple.
So what would be the best bang for my buck per say? It's only going to see ethanol free gas so that's not a major concern.
Engine is a 350 small block, 3 speed TH350 transmission.
>>
Should I get a JDM sticker for my 4Runner? It was built in japan
>>
>>17769661
Buy a carb rebuild kit for $35
>>
>>17769598
All H22 AND F blocks will fit, that includes the awesome F20B
>>
CEL Codes P0456 and PO442 on my Toyota Matrix.

They're both for evap leak. I checked the gas cap and it's on. I wonder if its possible because the dealership supposedly "installed a new catalytic converter" before I bought it Sunday. Should I see if I can take it back and have them fix their fuckups?
>>
My friend tells me I'm a retard for wanting a Mazda for my first self bought car, because they supposedly use lower quality materials and every Mazda made before 2008 is a bad idea, because they rust the most out of any brand.

His sources being some guy he knows putting a hole into the car by lifting up on jack stands, and the other of some guy that had his car rust within two months because he scraped it from lowering it too much.

Is this true?
>>
>>17769921
Its partially true because Mazdas do rust like shit, but I don't really think they're the most rusty.

Just find one you like with minimal rust or no rust, and do as much as you can to protect it (wax/sealant, undercoating, frequent washes, garage, etc)

What mazda model are you looking at specifically?
>>
>>17769937
M-Mazda 3 speed?
>>
>>17769977
If you can find one that isn't beat to shit then by all means.
A lot of fun for a FWD econobox
>>
File: IMG_20170824_184534.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170824_184534.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
So what all am I going to need to replace leaf springs? These are pretty much done and I'm going to lift it anyway so I'm just getting full leaf packs. I know I need new bushings (comes with the set) and new U-bolts (have to track those down). Do I need any specialty tools? The underside isn't bad at all concerning rust.
>>
>>17769993
I thought those were the tyle of cars that aren't pooular between ricers for beating up.
>>
Is it true that most bolt on parts don't work unless you retune after it's in? I have enough to buy a new intake but I don't also want to have to pay for a tune.
>>
>>17753252
Do you like... my car?
>>
>>17760351
bumping for more opinions
>>
>>17768310
Inlet manifold gasket I believe. Sucking in air which is annoying as hell.
>>
Are there any 2 door Japanese cars, 1990 to 2008, with wooden trim interiors that *aren't* SC430 and the Soarer?
>>
File: 1498370322869.gif (179KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498370322869.gif
179KB, 640x360px
>>17760351
Look through the various articles on the one you want and then google the model name plus the word "reviews". Remember to visit the unofficial forum sites for chevrolet and GM cars and you'll see sections for their cars year by year.

If you are getting a used one, be sure to read reviews of the next upcoming model in case it had the feature changes you wanted.

EDMUNDS is a good website to look for reviews. For driving fun, those major car magazines have their own websites you can look through. You also want to go to the public library and look through Consumer Reports annual car issue which compares a lot of cars. So if you were thinking of a 2015 Cobalt, you would look at issues 2014, 2015, and 2016. You are also looking for feature evolution in the cars when you do that as well as stray comments such as the 2016 review might make an offhand comment such as "Finally, the 2016 model fixed the major problem of the 2015 model which was the lack of a dildo holder and recharger for all C-class or smaller dragon dildoes".
>>
Mazda3 thread died, so I'll ask here.
What's better, 2008 Mazda3 hatch with 40k miles or 2010 with 90k? Assuming similar condition.
How much the second generation of Mazda3 is better than the first? In general, should I look for lower mileage or newer car?
>>
Is there a negative to short gearing with big tires when compared to long gearing with small tires (assuming the wheel torque remains the same) except tire cost?
>>
>>17771361

pretty sure Acura TL and Acura Legend had some models with wooden trim interiors
>>
Where can I get a rear carpet for my 2003 honda CRV. I accidentally spilled motor oil all over mine while cleaning it
>>
Should I get an e90 320d? I heard there were issues with timing chain and whatnot and they weren't recommended. Is this just for n47 engines or m47 too?
>>
What makes Corvette cabrios so much more heavy than MX-5s/Miatas?

Obviously the engine and transmission are heavier, and they are also bigger... but that can't account for ~500kg more.
>>
>>17772422
Because the Corvette was initially designed as a couple and they have to add reinforcing to the chassis when a car that's meant to have a fixed roof doesn't anymore
>>
>>17767962
10/10 creamulum reply, thanks for the advice. I've been looking at them and a few other brands for my R33 GTST, since I'd like to get some nice matte or gloss black 6/8 spoke wheels for it. ROTA seems to have a pretty good selection, including a new series of not-watanabes which look neat, but I'm just unsure about what to spring my money on.

Seriously, thanks for the advice, it was really useful.
>>
>>17772131
I would say if you just replaced the timing chain and kept an eye on it you would be ok.
>>
What tools do I need to remap my 2009 bosch ecu?
>>
>>17770237
You won't see any kind of significant gains through an intake. Do something more like exhaust, suspension, engine cooling etc
>>
>>17769788
Yes
>>
>>17769523
After 170k I wouldn't so you have a ways to go
>>
>>17769321
Adjustable front suspension like coilovers also look into performance swaybars and other endlinks and suspension parts
>>
>>17768472
Make sure your tie rod end links if on bottom are tight enough or vise versa
>>
>>17768171
No Marty is the one with the degree I'm farley sure
>>
Exactly HOW many dents can be taken out of a panel...? I'm looking at a car that looks like some kid took a golf club and went to town on one panel, can that shit be smoothed out by anyone with enough time or is it a lost cause, and I should find patches?
>>
>>17772551
Nah, Marty is a good bloke
Moog is a whiny shitcunt who needs to be glassed
>>
File: IMG_20170824_101628.jpg (56KB, 712x950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170824_101628.jpg
56KB, 712x950px
trying to install a dash cam in my volvo with an amazon dash cam hardwire kit (spy tec). using an add-a-circuit, i've used the 15a fuse for my cigarette lighter, and an additional 15a fuse for the dash cam itself (though the kit already has a 3A inline). it's chassis grounded via a nearby bolt, yet it still won't power on. however, the cigarette lighter still works.

any ideas? could it be a defective hardwire kit? the dash cam works when plugged into the cigarette lighter, just not when it's in the fuse slot.
>>
File: IMG_20170823_183705.jpg (110KB, 676x901px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_183705.jpg
110KB, 676x901px
>>17772863
additional photo except I added a 15a fuse to the add a circuit after this was taken
>>
File: Screenshot_20170825-115755.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170825-115755.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>17772805
Kinda grainy but I took videos of the car, not too bad, right?
>>
File: KIMG0109.jpg (742KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0109.jpg
742KB, 1920x1080px
wut do
>>
>>17772805
>Exactly HOW many dents can be taken out of a panel
A lot using PDR. If it is you not wanting to buy a new panel, then you might do it. But a professional would say the labor costs of fixing each dent one by one would cost more than buying a new panel and priming/matching/painting/polishing it.
>>
>>17773034
It's this panel here
>>17772912
Car is 600 bucks, I'll just buy it and some dent pullers and wee hours much I can smoothe it out before sanding and priming it before taking it up to get paint, might work
>>
>>17773062
PDR tools may let you massage the dent out and you don't have to pull a spot. You can look that up at youtube. Even Harbor Freight has some cheap PDR tool sets.
>>
>>17772976
Sand it a bit and use a wood enhancer.
>>
>>17772868
>>17772863
nvm, figured it out. bad splices
>>
>>17773062
>some dent pullers
PDR is one way to avoid drilling holes to pull dents.
>>
File: montero.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
montero.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
What's this part underneath the bumper called? I don't know anything about 4x4s but I just bought a montero 4x4 and would like to have some protection for my oil pan if I do some light offroading
>>
>>17760206
Any help? I took it to a volkswagen dealer and they just wanted to throw parts at it, parts I know it doesn't need
>>
>>17774991
skid plate
>>
The car I bought supposedly had a new catalytic converter installed before I bought it and it threw a code for an evap leak yesterday. Could these be related? I checked my gas cap and cleared the codes and they havent come back, but I haven't driven much since clearing the code
>>
Is a lowered suspension really a big deal?
I was looking at a local listing and saw the car was lowered 2". Is that enough to start hitting speed bumps or dips into the street from steep driveways?

Here's the listing for reference. https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-saabdoor/6274397606.html
>>
>>17772467
Hmmm ok. I found a reasonably priced exhaust manifold, would that be a better choice?
>>
>>17775043
Oh thats totally fine. Its when you're literally centimeters from the ground is when you have problems.

Thought some driveways will give a stock car problems so you're not totally safe
>>
File: 2010vwgtifd_001_opta[1].jpg (85KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
2010vwgtifd_001_opta[1].jpg
85KB, 800x450px
>>17753252
Hey /o/ I am thinking of buying newer VW GTI, but it seems their parts are expensive AF (I was think 2010+ GTI)

I mainly want a turbo hatchback, the ford focus looks way too expensive, and honda civic type R seems reasonable, but their design seems little off.

Any recommendations on hatchback, if I should steer away from GTI?
>>
Hey guys. In my area there is a 2012 C63 AMG for sale, and a 2016 BMW M235i xdrive. They're both the same price. Any thoughts on one over the other??
>>
>>17775614
Amg will be more fun to drive, more power, probably better handling, and of course rwd fun.
Cons: probably worse fuel economy
Not ideal for places with snow/ice
Bmw: probably more fuel efficient, has awd so fairly quick of the line, and better choice for snow/ice
Cons: less power and less get up and go when already up to speed.
>>
>>17775445
Vw parts are expensive, oem and aftermarket.

Bang for the buck, I'd choose either a Focus St or fiesta St.

You can find both the Ford's used pretty cheap, and are not ridiculously priced new either.

If in to racecar things, both have plenty of aftermarket parts and tuning solutions. Just one is cheaper than the other.
>>
>>17776021
Thanks dude. Much appreciated
>>
>>17775043
>Is that enough to start hitting speed bumps or dips into the street from steep driveways?
On my stock GM car, lowering it 2 inches would give me 2 inches of clearance over Costco speed bumps if the car had no downward motion. If I sped thru the bumps, the up and down momentum of the body could conceivably make the bump hit part of the underside of the car. But if going slow, it would not touch.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.